Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.94/5
Based on 36 reviews that contain star ratings

Ford Windstar

The Ford Windstar minivan was sold from 1995-2003, when it was renamed the Ford Freestar, which was discontinued in 2007. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

206 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 15, 2011

I just purchased a 2000 Ford Windstar, and despite quite a bit of research, never came across this site before.

Anyway, on with the comment...

I think you guys need to accept that sometimes it shouldn't be down to the manufacturer! If you go into a shop and it turns out many years later to be a substandard item, tough! We live in a consumerist world these days - a chuck away society - deal with it, and don't spend so much in the first place. Furthermore, don't ever buy on credit! Isn't that obvious. If you can't afford it now, don't buy it now, buy it later when you afford it (apologies for the uppercase - sometimes I feel it's important to emphasize).

Some stuff you buy will be dangerous. Life simply is dangerous. Everyday. I really can't understand this litigious, pass-the-blame attitude. We need to get back to where we were a good X years ago, where we had a realistic outlook on life.

You seem to want to know that Ford are looking out for you, but they, like any other capitalist company are in the business of pressing steel together for $$$$$ - if you buy it, expect a little support during your warranty but then you are on your own. Don't buy the advertising bull. Ford are a big company, made big from you going into debt to buy that shiny new car. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to single Ford out here. I think they make decent-ish affordable metal to move people from A to B, as do many other automotive mfrs.

Humbly heed this advice if you may:

1) Don't be suckers people - get to know how a car works, treat it well, service it regularly yourself if you can. If you're elderly, bus services still run almost everywhere.

2) Be different! Don't buy a new car - once you know how cars work you can actually get quite reliable motors working for you daily for about $2000 a piece (that's what I paid for my 2000 Windstar, and, ok, I've since found out it might be badly dangerous underneath. Ok, I'll get a spot welder to sort it or perhaps learn how to weld myself. Sounds kind of fun! ).

You all sound like lawyers to me, and that's a very bad sign for humankind.

I've ranted enough. If you choose to flame my comments, feel free. Freedom is wonderful, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2011

I am a current owner to a 2001 Ford Windstar that was bought used less than 5 years ago. Have had several recalls done to it since it has been in my possession.

I brought it to the attention to a local ford dealership, John ** of Phoenixville, PA, the district sales manager of the Philadelphia territory, Brad **, and Karen **, Executive Officer, that the recall 09S09 was still leaking even though my vehicle was band-aided with a jumper harness to the SCDS. Ford knowingly knew that the original part for the SCDS was defected and still cause leaks despite the harness. When this leak occurs, it still has the potential to start an engine fire due to the leaking brake fluid. The brake fluid then shorts out the ABS/ECM module, which affects the brakes locking up, speedometer, odometer, cruise control, traction and O/D compartments to fail. The recall was only to remedy the immediate fire by the SCDS but not the fires that are caused by a defected SCDS part which is made by Texas Instruments.

Ford has already been replacing the old SCDS part with a new SCDS that is not being manufactured by Texas Instruments. However, this is all done by the owner’s expense! The ABS/ECM module is suppose to last the lifetime of the vehicle except since the recall was not done the proper and safe way. It has to be replaced to prevent a fire. In my case, my ABS module needs to be replaced for the second time, which will be the third ABS module in a used 2001 Ford Windstar.

This is not new for Ford Motor Company on this particular recall involving the SCDS. Fifteen of Ford model cars are affected by these defected SCDS; however, the Windstar owners have only received the band-aid solution with the jumper harness. The other ford vehicles' recalls includes a brand new SCDS part not made by Texas instruments.

At this time, I have not been able to use my van to transport my young children and for me to go to work. The repair costs more than we can afford on a used car. Not only are we making payments on the vehicle that cannot be used, I can not also get a good trade in offer because to the current problems due to the lack of accountability that Ford Motor company has not taken to prevent this problem!

I would like Ford to address this recall properly by putting in the new SCDS part in the Windstar. Ford needs to fix the damages caused by the defected Texas instrument SCDS, which includes the ABS/ECM module and any other electrical damage from the leaking brake fluid. This should be all done by the expense of Ford Motor Company. Owners who have already received the repair should be reimbursed with any repairs that had to do with the SCDS, ABS/ECM, and electrical parts affected by the leaking brake fluid. My overall experience with Ford is a 0!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2011

I took my 2002 Winstar (I am the original and only owner) to the local Ford dealership (where purchased) after receiving the recall notices about the subframe and rear axle. The van was left and the "repair kits (brackets)" installed. I was told that my van was in great condition and not effected by the recall. Subsequently, my husband was under the van for unrelated reasons and saw the passengers side subframe was rusted away with the repair kit bracket in place, supporting nothing. It is clear to see what the purpose of the bracket is if you look at the drivers side.

We took it back to the dealer where several employees (manager and mechanics) agreed it was part of the recall. We were told to leave it because it likely wasn't safe. My husband requested the back axle bracket be removed for inspection. This revealed a crack in the back axle masked by the bracket installed by the dealer. The dealer alleged to send digital images to the DI dept of Ford and was rejected as a claim. My car was given back to me stating repairs previously done. We contacted Ford customer service dept, who advised us the dealer was already paid for the repair and therefore is a dealership problem. The dealership claims it is a recall issue. Legally, not sure how either was willing to give me back my van if the mechanics agreed it was likely not safe. The manager in fact told us that he told Ford to replace both the rear axle and subframe. Unacceptable to play the blame game on peoples lives. Ford needs to be held liable for their lack of action and the dealership for attempting to hide a recall defect. I'd be interested in how many brackets were placed on Windstars that should not be to save money or so that dealerships can be paid? We have plenty of pictures to be shared. This is a safety issue.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2011

My 2001 Ford Windstar SEL's passenger side sway bar mounting bracket separated from the vehicle less than 30 days after recall. This has rendered the vehicle unsafe to drive and it will not pass New York State vehicle safety inspection. Ford dealership denies any responsibility and Ford, the manufacturer, will not repair as part of the recall.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2011

I own a 2003 Ford Windstar. Over the past year, I have had the check engine light go on and off intermittently and 3 total breakdowns where the engine light was blinking and I had a loss of power. I had to be towed 3 times. One time, I was 200 miles from home and had to leave the vehicle for repair. I have had repairs done by 3 separate shops. They all got the same set of codes when they test the car and do the prescribed repairs based upon the codes. I have had coils replaced, a major tune-up and spark plugs and wires replaced 3 times in the past 7 months.

Several different codes keep coming up including "that cylinders are misfiring." I have spent at least $2000 in repairs only to have the light go back on within a few days. I have read of others having this problem and wonder why there has been no recall by Ford. With three competent mechanics reading the same codes and following the prescribed course of action, I feel that the problem is really with Ford and not the mechanics.

I also have my lights blinking while I am driving. I eventually just turned off the exterior lights because I can't afford to take the vehicle in for a hit-or-miss repair.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Windstar?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2011

I am not generally a complainer, but enough is enough. We own a 2003 Ford Windstar. Over the past 4 years, we have replaced or have had the alternator rebuilt at least three times. The last time was a week ago. We also installed a brand new battery. The van started one time and one time only after the repairs. We also had issues with the interior lights coming on whenever we would hit a bump. My husband has turned them off completely to eliminate this issue.

A few months back, both the driver's side and passenger side windows stopped working. A few weeks later, the passenger window started working again but the driver side window was still out of order. After going online to do some research, I was shocked to learn that this appears to be a common problem with many Windstar owners. It seems to me that when these many customers have the same issues, the automaker should have some responsibility. When do the costly repairs stop coming out of the pocket of those who have already paid big money in good faith to own a reliable transportation and fall on the shoulders of the manufacturer?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2011

Blown headgasket on a '96 Windstar. No explanation why it happened at 50K miles other than "it just went". We paid the full $1200 bill even though we knew '95 Windstars had been recalled and repaid.

Original review: July 20, 2011

We have a 2002 Ford Windstar Sport.

It was Canada day, July 1, 2011. We came out from our van and realize that when we tried to put the car in our drive it was making a very loud noise and would not move. We then saw that the passenger front coil spring had broken and went through the tire. We inspected the one on the driver side and it was just as bad. We were not going anywhere, my 2002 Windstar did this while it was parked! ** good thing it didn't decide to let go while driving! I have never heard of a coil spring just breaking like this.

Original review: May 29, 2011

I owned a Ford 2003 Winstar that was recalled in October 2010. We took it to a dealer. He took our van and would not give it back! Ford said that they would give us a rental car. We asked for a van because I am handicapped. We were told that we could not have a van because we had no handicapped equipment installed in it. We then asked for something big enough to hold my wheelchair and walker. They said that they couldn't do anything but try. Ford decided what we got, a rental company. They gave us a big enough car but then told us that we could not go out of state in it and that we would have to turn this big car back in on a Monday, I think. For the small car that they were giving every one, my husband was freaking. He knew that we had to go out of state all the time and that we could not use a little car so he was forced to buy another car.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2011

I bought a new 1995 Windstar and it was the first car/van I ever bought new. My husband directed me to buy this van because he stated that the reviews were excellent and I had two young daughters.

Within two months after purchase, I began to have problems. The engine kept coming on and off at various times. I had a remote lock and key system that rarely worked, alarm system that would go off without warning, and brakes that would get stuck.

They failed to tell me about the gasket problem until I needed it to be done. I had to have two new transmissions replaced in this van and it was always in the shop for power failure, coil damage, engine failure, and system break down. This van cost me thousands of dollars, at that time I was too ill and too uninformed to know my rights against Ford. The more I complained, the more they ignored me. My family needed a car for transportation. I had ran up my credit cards repairing the van every month. In 2000, I decided that I was not going to repair it any more because I did not have any more money since being disable, I was without a car.

In 2004, my husband's car went bad so he bought a Ford Taurus. My husband needed transportation to work and we did not have a large down payment. Ford took the Windstar as a trade in for $50.00. Can you believe it? I walked out of the room and let my husband finish dealing with Ford.

I kept every bill, every thing that was done to this van, every default because it caused me so much distress emotionally, physically, financially, and it even caused me to become more ill.

Today, the bad decision of paying for Ford 1995 Windstar continues to affect my life. Because I used money on that car that should have been there for me now. Everytime I am waiting on a ride or paying for a cab, I get upset at Ford.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2010

On 11/03/10, I was slowing down from a state highway, making a left hand turn, when my front axle on my 2001 Ford Windstar broke. The van stopped, and could not be moved at all. I had to have it towed on a flat-bed to an auto mechanic to be fixed. The auto service had to replace the sub-frame on the van, the cradle assembly. The inspection revealed a rusted out sub-frame and control arm mounting. Then, I got a recall notice in the middle of December 2010 about the rear axle! What is Ford going to do about my high bill that I paid to get my van fixed?!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2010

My 1998 Ford Windstar 3.0 engine is horrible. It stalls out while in traffic everyday. I have almost been rear ended on many occasions. The locks and interior light continue to go off and on, and up and down. I had to pull the fuse. While driving 30 miles an hour, it takes off as if cruise control is on. It goes 70 mph, and I am slamming on the brake to stop. I had to pull the fuse to cruise control. The check engine light is always on. I have changed the sensors, and it didn't help. It surges up and down all the time.

It goes through a tank of gas in two days. It gets about 5 miles to a gallon of gas. I fear for my safety and my grandchildren's safety while I drive it. Also, I fear that the rear axle might corrode and break. Ford looked at it and said, it looks okay right now. Okay that's right now, but what about in the near future. Is Dahl Ford going to keep checking it off and on for free? I think not. This is the worst van in the world. Ford needs to buy these vehicles back and save our lives.

I have spent so much money trying to correct these things and nothing helps. I am completely broke, and I have a van that is a piece of crap! I can't go on like this. I have ran my van upon to empty lots, trying to make it stop. I have been almost rear ended in traffic, when it just stops running! This 1998 Ford Windstar van has broke me in repairs that did not help!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2010

I own a 2000 Ford Windstar minivan with 86,000 miles. The rear axle completely failed by cracking midway on the axle. Luckily, I wasn't driving on the highway or high rate of speed when axle broke. At the moment, it is sitting in my driveway until I find out if there is a recall.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2010

The rear axle of my 2001 Ford Windstar broke while I was driving it. The tire then also blew out. Damage to the Ford Windstar: broken rear axle, cable of the e-brake damaged, and my tire was ruined.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2010

On Thursday, August 26, 2010, I was driving my 2001 Ford Windstar. Luckily I was at a red light, when the light turned green and I began to pull away, I heard a loud noise and something scraping the pavement below. I also lost control as the steering went completely out. I was able to stop the van since I was not going more than 10 miles per hour at the time. I got out and looked underneath and found that my motor was laying on the ground. The entire subframe was rusted.

Luckily, this happened when it did. I guess God was watching over me and my children. If this had happened just 30 minutes prior, my 2-year old daughter, 8-year old son and myself probably would not be here today. We had just been on the expressway, where we were traveling approximately 60-65 miles per hour. Even if we would have survived, it would have been a terrible accident, guaranteed! When the tow truck got there, the driver said he had never seen anything like this before. I had it towed to a Ford dealer where they said the exact same thing. I purchased the vehicle in November 2009 and it only had one previous owner and approximately 124000 miles. He was a friend of the family that took very good care of the vehicle.

As a matter of fact the van looked practically new except for a few scratches in the paint and a few small rust spots on the on the lower part of the front doors. I have read many similar complaints and do not understand why Ford is not addressing this potentially fatal problem. My family and I were blessed but I fear that many others may not be as lucky. I will never own a Ford again since they apparently do not take responsibility for their products. I am a single mother and currently am out of a vehicle. I cannot afford to repair the damages, which I was quoted a minimum of $2000 to replace subframe and other damages that resulted, such as broken belts, steering column, airbags, and any other items that were damaged when the engine fell.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2010

1999 Ford Windstar rear axle broke for no reason.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2010

We had a 2000 Ford Windstar and had to replace the rear axle on it twice. The first time it was replaced with a used axle which broke within a year. The mechanic recommended using a new axle when we brought it in the second time because it was a known problem and he felt that any used axle was due to break soon.

We have since gotten rid of the car because it had another problem that no mechanic could figure out how to fix, but we had to pay twice to replace the rear axle and was wondering if we are due compensation as it was a recall issue.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2010

My rear axle is rusty and breaking, not completely in 1/2, but the tires are splayed out 96,000 miles on my Ford 01 Windstar.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2010

We were traveling, going 55 on sharp curves, when we stopped at a light and presided on a whirling sound and smoke. We pulled over. My husband got out, and saw that the rear passenger wheel was leaning inward, and the axle snapped off. We are elderly. It cost us having the vehicle towed (twice, because it was Sunday) and repairs. We learned this was common with Windstar. I could not believe Ford knows about this, and is denying it.

Original review: July 31, 2010

The rear axle in my 2000 Ford Windstar is cracked, and is unsafe to drive. The vehicle has 134,000 miles.

Original review: July 26, 2010

I brought a 2001 Ford Windstar and at 75,000 miles the transmission went out, now 51,000 miles later the second transmission has failed. I replaced the head gasket twice. This seems to be a real problem with Ford Windstar. Why is nothing being done? I have spent $3000, for first transmission now they want another $3500. When will it end?

Original review: July 19, 2010

Driving down I95 in Philadelphia I noticed the 99 Ford Windstar I was driving started to swerve and make weird noises. I got off the highway, pulled over and noticed the rear driver side tire on a 45 degree and the other tire on an angle too. I drove very slow to a shop they put it up on a lift and saw that the rear axle was cracked 75 percent of the way.

Original review: June 25, 2010

I am the original owner. My 20 year old daughter was backing up the car and the rear axle snapped in two. It rusted from inside out. I contacted Ford, form letter response taking no responsibility. I filed a complaint with NHTSA. I called local TV. They already have done stories about it. This could have been catastrophic if she had been traveling faster. I had driven a few days before and the car was in for maintenance just a month before. There was no outside evidence of the problem. There are lots of complaints on the internet and near misses of bad accidents. We were lucky.

I have pictures of the broken axle. I asked to have the broken axle back, and I have it in the car. The cost to fix was $1250. This pales in comparison to what might have happened if we had been traveling at 65mph, because the wheels basically fell off the car. I have contacted the attorneys handling class action lawsuit recently filed in PA. This should have been a recall. Realizing that things do go wrong with aging cars, wheels falling off is not something that should happen. 140,000 miles on a car is high, but not outside of the use period. Oil was changed at 141,000 miles and tires rotated-car was looked over by the mechanic and was fine at the time.

Original review: June 22, 2010

Without warning, while I was driving on the parkway, my rear axle completely snapped in half. I lost control of the car and almost flipped over. I called my local Ford Dealer (Northport Ford) and was told there have been no complaints about this matter, and I was out of warranty so they could not help me unless I was prepared to pay out of pocket. My car is a Ford Windstar SE 2002. I towed the car to my mechanic and was immediately told that this did not look normal and I should really investigate if there has been any kind of recall.

As it turns out the Federal Government launched a formal investigation just weeks ago, yet Northport Ford insists this is a problem unique to my vehicle. The truth is that there are hundreds and thousands of complaints online. Someone is going to die if people are not warned to have their axles checked. It was one of the scariest incidents I have ever been involved in. I needed to have the car towed which cost almost $150 and I am awaiting word from the shop on the cost of the repair, but I have been warned this could cost up to $4000. Additionally, I need to rent a car which will cost about $50-$75 a day but the worst damage was how terrified I was during and even now after this happened. Losing control of a car on a parkway is something I never want to experience again.

Original review: June 20, 2010

I purchased this Ford Windstar GL "new". At about 126,000 km, the vehicle started to blow its horn for no apparent reason at 2:00 am in the morning. Now it will blow at any time day or night. It does not matter whether the vehicle is locked or not locked. Note: Very dangerous. While driving the door locks will activate on their own, leaving the doors of the minivan open. Also, the interior warning, bell will start beeping for no reason! The seat belts are all engaged and the doors are closed firmly. Vehicle was taken to Rose City Ford for service on this problem 2 or 3 times.

And was always told that they road test the van. The van sat in their parking lot for an extended time period. And then I was told that they cannot find the problem. We do not put many kilometer/miles on a vehicle, we have 130,000 km now, and our neighbors are just ticked. We have been on the Web looking for a fix, and the one that we had tried is as follows: Tried turning the key 8 times to the off-and-on position quickly and leaving the key in the on position, then using the remote control to activate the door locks up and down. Note! This did not fix the problem; it still blows at any time. We also brushed and cleaned the terminals on the sliding door, hoping this would fix the problem. It did not.

Question: Are there any recalls on this problem? I have been checking the Web and I found that a lot of other people have been having the same problem, also relating to other Ford vehicles. I cannot believe that the Ford dealerships have not heard of this problem.

Original review: June 18, 2010

I own a 1999 Ford Windstar. A little over a year ago I had the torque converter replaced and now I am going to have to replace it again. So I can sympathize with those who also have had problems with their Ford transmissions. I also love Ford vehicles but if I have to keep fixing the drive train then I'll go back to driving foreign vehicles.

Original review: June 5, 2010

M 2001 Windstar axle broke during highway speeds and nearly killed us. I spent $950 to repair. I have pictures and witnesses and parts. $950 repair bill. Near catastrophic disaster, but able to control vehicle to stop.

Original review: June 1, 2010

The rear axle on my 2000 Ford Windstar is cracked. It is sitting in my garage waiting for the recall. Do you think this will happen anytime soon? It happened as I was turning out of my driveway. There was a loud noise and then I lost control of the car. No one was hurt and we were able to get it back to the house where we could see that the axle is cracked. We really can't afford to fix this and would love to see it recalled now.

Original review: May 28, 2010

This is the letter that I wrote to Ford and Pagano. I also have graphic photos of my rotted axle:

Re: Assistance Required for 1999 Ford Windstar

Mr. **, my family, and I have almost been killed now three times from you're supposed "five-star" safety rating vehicle, the Ford Windstar! In 1999, we purchased our first and only new vehicle, a Ford Windstar LX from Larson Ford. We were absolutely thrilled with our decision to purchase a new vehicle and finally be able to feel safe and secure. We chose the Ford Windstar because of the "five-star" safety rating.

Our first problem occurred when, after only 68,000 miles, the transmission went on the car, as I was driving through an intersection with my two young sons; and we almost had an accident. At first, your company was reluctant to do anything about it, but they finally allowed me to purchase an extended warranty that would cover the transmission replacement. That work was done, only to find a month later that a faulty "new" transmission was installed. We had to bring it in for a third transmission to be installed.

In November 2009, while traveling to a friend's funeral service, my wife had noticed some "creaking" noise by the passenger rear wheel. Luckily, while only trying to back into a parking spot to check it out, I heard a loud "bang"! My rear axle had broken, and my back wheel was "snapped." My mechanic told me it had rotted. What kind of car design allows for its axles to rot after only 10 years! We could have been killed, but I took it as a freak incident and had the axle repaired for $900.00.

Now, last month (February 2010), I heard a noise by my front passenger wheel. My mechanic took a look and was dumbfounded to discover that my front frame/axle support by the wheel is rotted and has snapped! What kind of vehicle does Ford "supposedly" take pride in building? A "family" vehicle that will literally become a death trap in 10 short years? I have never seen this in my entire lifetime of owning American cars (and I have had many over 15 years old!).

My mechanic was estimating a $1,300 repair! My brother is a truck mechanic and runs a truck repair shop. He said that he has never seen a vehicle frame rot out and break. Body rot, OK, but not the frame.

Original review: May 20, 2010

Our Ford 1999 Windstar caught fire with my my wife and daughter in it on 5/5/10. They are okay. I wrote to Ford and informed them about the serious issue. I sent them the pictures and insurance documentation. I requested they pay off my loan to state farm bank and keep the car. They reviewed it for one day and informed me they are sorry for our misfortune but they cannot do anything for my family. It is the Ford name on the van. It was an electrical fire caused by a faulty wire. How can they blame us for being the customer and not taking ownership of the situation? My family is very upset with Ford and how we have been treated like dregs of society. We do not have a car.

I have seven total people in my family. Five kids, my wife and me. All of us are sick to our stomach about what has taken place. We need a car but do not have enough money to buy a used one. I think it is a shame the Ford calls itself and American Made Company. Ford talks about great customer service and the great ethical values they have. It is all just fluff to me since I have been in contact with them. The big corporations really do not care about the average Joe. If you can help me or give me sound advice, please contact me.

Ford Windstar Company Information