Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.61/5

Ford Windstar

The Ford Windstar minivan was sold from 1995-2003, when it was renamed the Ford Freestar, which was discontinued in 2007. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

206 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 6, 2015

While driving (luckily at only 25 mph), the rear axle broke on my van. I had already taken it into an authorized dealer for recall "repair" which in my opinion, failed. The axle broke mid bracket that was supposed to stabilize it. I called Ford and the rep was very polite & apologetic and told me that Ford stands behind recall work 100% - he gave me a case number and told me to contact an authorized dealer to have the work done and that the dealership would be reimbursed by Ford.

Two dealerships told me they would not replace the axle since the brackets had been installed and the recall period was now closed. What?! One dealer told me they had done repairs previously, based on what customers like me were told by Ford, only to have Ford NOT reimburse them. I've owned Ford products in the past, but never again. It's pathetic that I have to consider myself lucky that I'm dealing with such a hassle and paying out-of-pocket for repairs rather than medical or even funeral expenses because of a company that puts out a poor product and then doesn't take care of its customers.

Original review: April 23, 2015

Got my Ford Windstar 2000 with 185000 on it. Have problem with the airbag, the horn is not working as a result. The accelerator will suddenly stop responding while on motion. The gear selection is also a problem. What is the cause of all these and what is the remedy?

Original review: March 31, 2015

I bought this 1999 Ford Windstar a couple of years ago. Hardly used it but maintained it. It is rusted in the bottom and in the sides. The power steering pump keeps messing up. My dash goes crazy. The sticks go haywire and one of my sliding doors gets stuck. I called the dealer and there's nothing that they can do about it cause it's not on recall. I had to fix transmission - cost me 500 bucks. I think there should be some type of recall on any of these things cause my car won't even pass inspection.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2015

I have a 2000 Ford Windstar -- it wasn't getting fuel, had it towed home. Now it's in theft mode. Now dealer wants me to tow them. To charge me $138 but won't guarantee fix the theft mode. I don't think I should have to pay. It's not stolen. Any help.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2015

Great van - I purchased 2003 Windstar at dealer van in 2012 with 111000 mi and had lots of problems due lack of maintenance. For all of you that have a complaint read!!! Check engine light with a diagnose lean bank 1 or 2 - need to change platinum gasket. This will fix problem and better mpg. Transmission - no big problems but some odd shifts due first from platinum gasket high rpm. Change oil every 30000 mi and major killer of trans is heat so install a trans cooler. Now it shifts like new. Front end noise - check bushings on torque bar un sub frame and connecting rods. That will fix noise. Dome light flickering - very simple fix - it’s in your ignition block (where insert key), just need to adjust contact. Rust wheel wells - need to spray fluid film every year under van, under doors, etc. That will eliminate rust. All vehicles have problems the first problem is their owner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Windstar?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

The power steering line got fixed today. It drove fine coincidentally until I hit a bump then the radio, lights, blinkers and dash lights started going nuts. We thought I knocked something loose. We stop for dinner, park... Turn the car off... all that. We head home and it was working fine at first but then the lights start going nuts and the alternator was going out within the next few minutes. Turns out the guy must've knocked the wire loose to the alternator when he was fixing the power steer line. So the whole time we drove from the shop (hour drive) we were just running on the battery & it ended up dying. Thankfully a guy in the Walmart parking lot gave us a jump & we tightened the wire on the alternator and all that. Now it's running fine.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2014

My 2001 Ford Windstar SEL's passenger side sway bar mounting bracket (which looks like a U-Channel that is welded to the subframe) completely rusted away and then separated from the vehicle. This design flaw has rendered the vehicle extremely unsafe to drive. My FORD dealership denies any responsibility. After insisting on satisfaction, the Service Manager told they would take pictures of the sway bar and the rusted bracket and then send them to FORD Corporate. Well, FORD Corporate responded informing me that FORD will NOT pay for any of the needed repairs.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

I purchased a 1996 Ford Windstar and the transmission began revving up high on the RPMs and would not go into gear. This happens everyday. We've changed the transmission, still goes on and we were told to change the (TPS) sensor, it is still happening. Now the OD will not work. The red No (OD) light continues to blink. I've noticed a great many people are having the same problem or close to it. They should recall this transmission.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2014

My wife complained of vehicle gauges going up and down erratically a week ago. I looked online about it to find that this is almost a common thing with this year Ford Windstar 1999. Unfortunately, before I could take it in to get it repaired, the engine overheated and the head gasket gave way or the heads warped or cracked. We are unable to drive this vehicle at all now. I'm happy to take the blame of any event that I am responsible for but in this circumstance the temperature gauge failed to show the correct temperature in order to allow me to stop the van before it was too late.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2014

My rear axle cracked while I was driving. The good news is that there was a bracket on the exact spot it broke because Ford had a recall situation with their axles doing exactly this. I had the recall done in 2011. The break happened in 2014. They would only repair it for free if the axle broke within a year of the 'repair'. I called 3 dealerships (I even sent one of the dealership's pictures) and the Ford home office as well. They all told me the same ridiculous story. So I had to shell out at over $800 for a new axle repair time.

Ford Windstar Company Information