Customer Reviews

3.90/5
based on 958 ratings
Read more reviews
5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

We have been customers of total protect since 6/2019. I am so pleased and happy on the service I received so far from Total Protect aka Cross County. I had a tub/shower valve that needed to be replaced. My upstairs bath tub leaked into my downstairs kitchen ceiling. The plumber had to cut a hole in the ceiling to replace the part. Not only did total protect cover the part but they also covered the cost to return ceiling to rough finish. The labor and parts to fix tub valve was $500.00 and the ceiling repair was $280.00. That is a total of $780.00. All we had to pay in the end was deductible $125.00. That was it.

The only hurdle Total Protect is they do not have a plumber contractors in Reno, NV or the surrounding areas. So we had to pay out of pocket but we were reimbursed within 3 weeks of repairs. They do have service providers in other trades of work. The other great thing I like about Total Protect is their call answering time. Their Claims, Sales and other departments answer their calls in under 8 minutes! Very impressive. We were long time customer of American Home Shield and their call hold time was horrible. At times almost a hour hold time.

Also there were quite a few times we were hung up on by their representatives. The reason we left American Home Shield after 10 years was the slow claim process handling. On one claim it tooks us 2 1/2 months to get reimbured on a claim and that is when we had enough. I notice when it comes to reviews the people that post are the ones that are unhappy with company and I want to come in here and say we are happy customers and plan to stay with this company for a long time!

5.00/5

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I've had coverage through TotalProtect for about 20 years now, and I like that I don't have to worry about it. They just take it out of my bank account. I do a once a year thing on my furnace, and I liked the guy that came out so much that I'll be using him for our yearly checkup. I took out the business card of the person I have been using for years and put this guy's business card in instead. He knew what he was doing. My wife was impressed too.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

TotalProtect is very helpful in taking your claim. At one time, I had a problem and I didn’t think that I was treated fairly on one time. My icemaker gave out, and they came out. And there was a service charge for them coming out, and I know about that. But after they got out here, they could’ve told me before that they don’t cover icemakers. I had to pay for the icemaker, which means I could have bought an icemaker cheaper than having someone to come out and pay the service charge and then pay for an icemaker. I could’ve gotten one at one of the retail places in my city. But any other claim that I’ve made, I did not have a problem.

I’m always uneasy about people coming into my home that I don’t know, but the contractors were very friendly. Some contractors come out and they have these big, heavy shoes, and sometimes, I feel like they should have a protective shield to put over their shoes when they’re coming into your home. That way, they won’t be tracking dirt and stuff into your house. And many of them don’t do that. I like for people to pull their shoes off at the door. And they come in, and sometimes, they won’t pull them off and they don’t have the protective things to put over their shoes. So, that is something that I would like to see change.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I’m very happy with TotalProtect. Submitting claims over the phone has been very easy and the service has been prompt. So far, I’ve had to use them two times and I’ve had no issues with the contractor or with calling to set up an appointment. However, they don’t narrow down the time on the day of the appointment. They just say they'd be there between 8:00 to 4:00 or 8:00 to 3:00. I'd definitely renew with TotalProtect.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

TotalProtect has been great so far. We had a stove go out and they came out and checked it. They took the information back and determined it wasn’t financially fixable, so they offered a comparable model or they would give us a check for whatever we wanted if we wanted something else. They sent a check and we got a new stove. The technicians that came out were foreign, but it all worked out.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I had a claim for my dishwasher and there seemed to be some misunderstanding in the beginning about my appointment. I had an appointment, and someone came and checked on it and said that they would be back, and it took a long time for them to come back. I had to call them and they had to send someone else out. The guy said that he would be back to replace the board on my dishwasher and I didn't hear for such a long time that I had to end up calling back. That's when they told me that the board could not be fixed. They made me an offer at first. Apparently, they didn't know that I had paid quite a bit for my LG and I'm the only one using it, and I wasn't using it that much. The person that was helping me submitted my claim again and then they gave me an adjustment and I appreciated that. When we got to the root of the problem, it was solved. TotalProtect is a good service.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

My experience with TotalProtect has been very good and I've been very happy. I usually call to put in a claim and the reps are very professional and they try to help. For my last claim, I had three visits but the second technician came twice. His attitude was a little bit different but the first one was fantastic. Their work is okay though.

Having a warranty is great because it's like a safety net where if something goes wrong, I can get it fixed without spending a whole lot of money instead of replacing something right away. Something was wrong with my refrigerator and I would have gone and spent $1,500 on it. But since I had the protection, I called in a technician first. It's still working now. My clothes dryer isn't working very well too and I'm thinking of buying one but then I can have them fix it too.

3.00/5

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

When I submit a claim to TotalProtect, sometimes, the experience is very easy. Other times, it's extremely stressful. The issue is in the follow-through. There are too many loopholes. While most of their agents are professional, I had one agent and we were arguing over the terms of what should be covered. There was some disagreement in the interpretation of the terms. There was something that wasn't covered that I felt should have been covered and how she's interpreting what the text in my warranty is saying and how I was interpreting it were two different things.

There was another time when I had an issue with my oven and the maintenance person came and told me that the oven is too old and it needed to be replaced. TotalProtect sent someone else out. So, I kept having to take time off work and wait all day 'cause their maintenance folks won't give me an exact time. They say they'd be here within a four-hour block. It took them months before they finally approved the replacement. I felt that was too much. There was no reason why TotalProtect was not replacing a 50-year old oven and they're making me jump through hoops when experts they send are telling them that the oven has aged out. I just feel that they're nickle-and-diming.

Recently, I had an HVAC claim and the person who came out flipped the switch and left. Of course, that didn't fix the problem. I called them to come back out and that contractor is charging me a second deductible saying that the warranty company is telling me I owe a second deductible. I told that contractor that I wasn't paying the second deductible. They told me that I needed to contact my warranty company.

I've had some great experiences with TotalProtect's contractors that were really easy. I had a plumber come out one time and he got everything done. There was no problem getting that covered. However, other times, it has been atrocious. The appliance people they have sent have been really subpar. With one guy, my refrigerator was out for months and months and they couldn't fix it. They would send the part, send the part back, order a new part and then we came to find out the tech had the right part in the beginning but didn't put it in correctly. Another time, they came to fix my stove. The filament was all crooked and when I called TotalProtect, they said that as long as the stove was working, it's okay. I told them it was a fire hazard but they would not send their contract back out to fix it. As long as the stove was functioning, it was all their contractor was required to do.

Additionally, their deductible has tripped in price from year to year. It was $50 for several years. Then, it went it up to $150. I pay TotalProtect $53 a month, and then I have to pay a $150 deductible if I have an issue. Some of their contractors come out and do minimal work. Still, they collect their $150 when if I had called them directly, the claim would have cost less. I had a contractor tell me that I should call him directly instead. He said that his service visit was only $65 and they could have fixed my issue quickly.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

At TotalProtect, I do my claims over the phone and the reps have been fine. Last time my washer was locked up and it wasn't drying. A pump was broken on it and they had to replace it. The tech had it on him, so he took care of it. My experience was great and I’d recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I was in the market because I was leaving another home warranty and I called a number through my bank because my credit union offered home protection and when I called that number, it was TotalProtect. I included the upgrade for $10 in my package because they said they would cover things that I’m not normally covered, like the standalone freezer. But when I wanted to file a claim for that, they told me it was not covered. So, I asked them to take the $10 off my account, and to this day, they have not done that. I’ve asked them three times and I’m still paying the extra $10. I had them on my list to call this week because I got the notice that I was going to be automatically renewed next month. So, I wanted to call and make sure they don’t automatically take this $10 back on there.

I filed a couple of claims this year to TotalProtect and the process is the easiest one I’ve had with all the ones that I’ve experienced. They will answer the phone and you’re not on hold for an hour like the popular one is. TotalProtect would answer within 5 minutes, which is good, and they will send someone out. The last time they sent someone out, the company did a good job and so, I ask for them every time.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I had some work done on my hot water heater through TotalProtect. The contractor they sent was great and he got my heater repaired right away.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

My TotalProtect warranty is there when I need it. I'm able to call and get quick services. I submit claims over the phone and the reps are pretty knowledgeable. I get a claim number assigned and then I’m assigned a vendor that’s gonna do the work. All the providers have been courteous, they have been on time. The work they do is top-notch. I wouldn't do without this warranty.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Riven Appliance, Nate, was a delight. He worked on the ice maker,found the problem and ordered the part needed, came back when it FINALLY came in replaced it. He was very professional and polite. When the ice started dropping it broke the safety door. I took a picture and sent to him he ordered a new part, then came back and replaced it. I will use him again and recommended him to ALL of my family.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I have TotalProtect warranty and for the most part, they've been really good to me. But I had issues with my washing machine claim. The contractor came out and they needed to order a part but it wasn't available. After about a week and a half, I called TotalProtect and they told me to call the contractor back. But it was backwards because TotalProtect ordered the part, not the contractor. They should've been able to answer the question right there. Also, every time I talk to somebody, I would be told they were pushing it higher and nobody could tell me what was going on. It was till I was really fed up that I got quite nasty with them. In the meantime, I was going back and forth to the laundromat trying to wash clothes. It took about a month and a half before the problem was rectified. Other than that, putting in a claim was simple and easy to do. The contractors have been good and I've never had any problem with the work.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I’ve submitted claims twice to TotalProtect and the second time was better than the first time I did it. I had an issue with my air conditioning and the contractor looked at several different things needed in fixing the thing. He checked everything and figured out what was going on, and fixed it. The only thing is, we were doing 100-degree temperatures but we had to wait a day or two before the actual place opened. The time to do it would have to be Monday through Friday. Still, I’m satisfied with TotalProtect just knowing I've got a warranty in case something happens to anything.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I called TotalProtect when my AC went out and the claims rep was good. They were able to send someone out the next day. The only thing is that I had an issue processing the payment. I paid them the day of the service, but afterwards they still sent a bill. Right now, I’m still waiting for them to see if they actually disregard that bill. But the tech was good and everything has been working okay since the repair

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I was looking for a home warranty company and I ran across TotalProtect. Submitting claims have been easy. I've submitted a couple of claims already and I had been very satisfied. Even when I had submitted one for my AC, one time, and I needed to have an upgrade, they bumped it up to an emergency, and we had a company here within the next 24 hours. They've met all of my demands that I was confronted with. They've chosen some good technicians, as well. They're doing a great job.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I had a couple of bleeps in the first claim, and I don’t know how or who made the mistake. I needed to have the furnace fixed, and a young man came out. He seemed disorganized, he got lost and then he looked at the furnace. He said he was fixing what was wrong with the air conditioner, and he said it was the compressor. I said, “Shouldn’t you find out if the furnace needs to be fixed first to see if that has anything to do with the broken air conditioner?” And he said, “No, I looked at it.” Then, he didn’t call back. I called Total and the first woman said, “That’s not right. We’ll give them 24 hours.” I called again and the woman said, “We’ll give them 48 hours.” And then the third guy said, “Let’s give them 72 hours,” and I was like, “I don’t understand that.”

I got a second person assigned to the furnace, Dennis, and he was wonderful and he took care of it. However, he said that if they upgraded slightly, I would’ve gotten a $300 rebate on the furnace, and my cost was $1,800. Also, I had paid that first guy who never returned the call, which meant that the second guy got paid separately for the furnace and then for the air conditioner. So, I paid two extra service calls when it should’ve only been one. I’m still waiting for that first guy. Total said that that should be reimbursed, but I don’t know what happened to that.

With the most recent claim, I’m having trouble with Whitney Electric & Plumbing. A young man came out and he went through. I thought that Total got an estimate from him, but when I called them, it seemed like he missed a couple of things. He was going to submit the diagnosis of what it would take to fix it. I called Total back, and the last thing from them was that they were submitting another estimate because I had written down and emailed them the different things that I thought needed to be fixed just in case. Total was going to email me, and they haven’t answered the phone. The last thing they said was to wait three or four days for the contractor to send in the new thing and for them to estimate what the thing was. So, it seemed like something was not organized correctly.

The other thing that I questioned, which I thought I only saw for the first time, was my bill went down. I’d never seen that go down before, and I was concerned that there was an error, that they weren’t billing me for all the services that I wanted. A man came on and he said that I have the same services, but they were just charging me less money. I don’t know if that was accurate, and it makes me nervous because I know everybody makes mistakes. With the last man who said that my policy did not change, I asked, “Can you email that to me?” And he said, “No, I can’t.” They were supposed to email me the estimate when they received that, and I haven't gotten that either so I’m a little worried. Plus when I signed up originally, they didn’t give me the right website and I couldn’t get through.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Submitting a claim to TotalProtect was simple and the claims process was easy. We were told who the contractors were and then we scheduled the appointment, and once the appointment was scheduled, we knew the timeframe in which they were going to arrive. The contractors were very professional when they came in, did what they needed to do and were quick, they got in, got out.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

We’ve had TotalProtect for eons. It's a good company. Submitting claims is easy and our interaction with their reps has been good. We had an issue, however, where somebody actually filed a claim for our heating unit as well as for the air conditioner, but our claim was only for the air conditioner. So, we canceled the heating claim. And then for the air conditioner, they were able to get a company that came out the same day. That company then came back really quickly to get it repaired, and the whole thing took about three days. They were very responsive and they did a great job.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Submitting a claim is usually quite good 'cause you just put in the claim and then you get the people that are gonna come and do it. When it comes to the air conditioner, it's been the same company and they're very good. Even when they don't have to, they follow up. Although once in a while, we get a technician that doesn't know what they're doing. With the stove and the dryer, the techs had to come back and fix something that they didn't fix right the first time. Still, we've had two of the air conditioners replaced, so I can't complain.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I submitted a claim to TotalProtect for a hot water heater. The tech they sent was very helpful and knowledgeable. He did everything we wanted to do. Thus far, we've had several small claims with TotalProtect and they've all been handled. If there's something that has to be ordered, they tell me upfront that it would be such-and-such. If they can't make an appointment, they call back. I'm happy with them and I've already recommended them to several people.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

There was one time that I had a little problem when my air conditioner went out and it was really, really hot, and it took a while for the people that TotalProtect sent to get it repaired. Also, my garage door is still broken. The guy that they sent out came and looked at it, and I paid my deposit. I haven’t seen or heard from him since. I tried closing my door, and I was getting frustrated because sometimes it closes, sometimes it won’t. He said I needed a new system, and he had to order it. Overall, TotalProtect has been very good and so have the contractors. One of my best friends has it now because of me, and I've told other people and my daughter too.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I’ve had TotalProtect for so many years now and everything has been good. Customer service has been very helpful. I turn in a claim and techs come out and fix it. I had trouble with my icebox and they sent Sears out, which was nice. They fixed it right away. I've had problems with the fan on my furnace twice. They are different fans with different fan motors. They also took care of that right away.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

The first time I had a claim with TotalProtect, they sent Sears out and tried to work with the company, but they had no success at all. I had my stove and my microwave go out and it took over a month to get any satisfaction at all. Every time I called in about it, they’d say that they were researching that. Since TotalProtect advertises with Pentagon Federal, I told the headman of Pentagon Federal of what I was getting delayed on. After that, TotalProtect immediately took care of my stove and microwave. It was a bad experience. However, they responded quickly during my last claim. My washer went out, I contacted them and they took care of it immediately. They were excellent. The contractor also responded fast and did a good job.

3.00/5

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Submitting the claim with TotalProtect is not a problem. But getting something fixed is because of their service partners and verification process after it's been diagnosed. It's hard to get the money or hard to get the work done. I had my washing machine worked on no problem. But when they wanted to replace my refrigerator that took probably a month to get. Fortunately, the refrigerator wasn't dead, but they wanted to replace it, and just did it. One of the first thing is my stove. I had a built-in oven, and it took over a month to get them to set along getting it fixed.

They should speed up the claims after it's been diagnosed. Replace things quicker because it has been dragged out forever. I've been up the creek once the refrigerator hadn't worked. I've been doing without an oven about six weeks or so, to get it replaced. After they tell me what they're gonna do or what we're gonna replace it with and then we need to get it approved. It takes weeks for them to get a final approval on it. It's terrible.

I did have a lot of trouble with some of the service providers. They didn't call back nor show up. They didn't make their appointments. And of course, some of the ones that did, they did real fine. If it's a small, if it's just a repair, I haven't had any problem. But for a bad problem, it's hard to get like air conditioner, they've been out several times on the air conditioner before they finally got it fixed. They piecemeal it, but I can understand that because my air conditioner is very expensive.

I needed an electrician just to replace the fuse, a breaker on the outside box. They sent Sears out here, and it took him just a few minutes to figure out, "Yeah, it is the breaker. The breaker is bad." And then it took forever to get that repaired, but we can't do anything because you got to have an electrician. So I called them back about an electrician. They don't have one in the area and he wouldn't return my call. And then it took another week or so before they finally approved me to get my own electrician, which of course, didn't take any time to get done because all they had to do was to replace the breaker.

I'm in here and sweating in the heat. I got a two-story house, and this upstairs gets really hot. We melted for a couple of weeks there over a breaker switch. And the breaker switch was $125 and they told me I had to go through a whole rigmarole to get that. I had to wait another month to get the reimbursement for it. So the worst thing is if we have an electrical problem, I don't know what we're gonna do because electricians can run often with the big money, but they don't have an electrician. I could say they only have one on the list, and he won't be good. I found this out on some of the repairmen, they don't wanna do business with TotalProtect because it's such a pain in the butt. But I'd still recommend TotalProtect because they saved me a bunch of money.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

We've been with TotalProtect for at least over 11 years now and I usually submit my claims over the phone. Everything has been fine and I always get an answer. I've also never had a problem with the contractors that they sent out. My most recent claim was just less than a month ago. The contractor was supposed to come out the next day, but he came out the day after.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

When a contractor came out for my air conditioner, they told me what the problem was. But they had to get something and come back in two days. They did and fixed my air conditioner. You never know when things are gonna happen and I figured it would be best to have a home warranty. Everything is working out great with TotalProtect. Every time I have a problem, they take care of it. And the people that come out are always good and take care of the problem so I’m very happy with it.

4.00/5

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

We went without a refrigerator in our downstairs for about three months. Over six weeks, TotalProtect was supposed to get the compressor for it when the compressor went out, and we had already been without it for a week by the time they figured that out. They couldn't get the compressor for it for that long. It had to do with the company they’re getting all their parts from, which is one company and so, restricts them for how soon they can get it.

The first guy that came out kinda left us hanging. He said he could make more money over in Tallahassee than he could be working for TotalProtect, so he went to Tallahassee on the weekend instead of going over and diagnosing ours. He had more excuses than he had and he was doing all this other work. When he couldn't get the part because of having to wait for it for however long it was, I reamed him out. Our daughter was having to drag all her stuff upstairs ‘cause our refrigerator went on overload. They couldn't eat anything without coming up the stairs to get it.

We also had a situation when our stove went and died downstairs. I had a really good Whirlpool stove and I had major problems with GE refrigerators. They said that I could get a GE stove cheap. I told them that I won’t put a GE appliance in my house again. I went back to the Whirlpool, but I had to stick a bunch of my money of my own into it to be able to do it. But other than that, TotalProtect's been really good. They inspected the last two furnace switches. I was impressed with the way that went. Both of our furnaces have been packed, one of them twice, the other one three times. Those claims went really well and I couldn't complain about any of that.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

We haven't been with you long but we have been very impressed so far! We had one service call - for our home heater. Guy came. Said we needed a new part. He'd return tomorrow and replace. He did at appointed time. We paid him our share. Everything went smoothly. Heater works fine now.

Following week our garbage disposal froze up and made a horrific noise.. Called you. Got number for repairman who said he didn't work with you! Called you again - you authorized us to find someone, which we did. He came - spent less than 5 minutes here. Had a little tool to "unstick" disposal, ran ice cubes through the disposal and VOILA! It worked fine. He did NOT charge us. Said if we needed him again, just call. They were BlueBell Plumbing. Maybe you should put them on your list of people to call for others? Thank you for being there!