House of Brides

Chicago, IL

Compare Wedding Websites

Research top Wedding Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I got engaged in August 2016 and plan for a wedding in December 2016. I shopped at House of Brides in early September 2016. They said I needed 5-6 months to order a gown but I was welcome to shop off the rack from last year's floor models. I pulled out a dozen or more from the racks. In the meantime the sales associate had placed a gown in my fitting room which she stated it was one of two they had from this year's floor models. The ones I had selected were all well worn since so many brides try them on. They were dirty, some tattered and torn but she assured me they could repair anything however, alterations were a flat-rate of $375 cash upfront and did not include cleaning.

Of all the dresses I tried, it turned out the one I loved was the first one she chose from the current floor models. It was also clean and only one of the ruching folds needed to be tacked up in the front in one spot. For the price ($600) and the immediate purchase ability, It was a good deal. I did not pay for alterations until my fitting which they scheduled for six weeks later after the end of summer business slows down. They tagged my dress and held it for me until my fitting.

I attended the fitting in October as scheduled however, my gown, while very similar to what I remembered, did not seem exactly the same as the one I remembered. It is so similar it is hard for me to be sure yet I just don't have the same feeling about it. The neckline and fit/body style is the same however, the gown I chose was so white I was surprised when the tag called it ivory. This impostor dress was unquestionably ivory. Not too much of a problem for me. Just not as light as I remembered but it works. The embellishments along the sweetheart neckline and along the corners of the shoulder straps seems different as well as I do not recall the lace and beading to dip down into a point at the center bust. I recall that the embellishments stayed about an 2" band along the edge.

The gown I recalled also was smooth satin with just five or so ruching folds from the right knee and gathered up and across the front to the left hip with some embellishments at that point of attachment. This impostor gown had ruching all the way from the neckline to the knee yet still gathered up at the one hip with the decorative piece at the hip. It is all so similar that I am confused as if I just remembered it incorrectly. I just can't shake the image I had in my mind of when I stood in the mirror and cried when I first put the dress on and KNEW it was THE ONE! How can my memory be so off?

I even told the seamstress and the girl at the counter that although it has been a few weeks since I had last viewed the dress it seemed like it is not the same dress. I can't believe how different it is. They laughed and said it was just too much time passed and I was probably confused with all of the dresses I had seen and tried on. It is possible I guess, right?

I went through with the pinning but not being sure the dress was the same one I actually chose, I did not go through with the alterations and a friend of mine told me of a seamstress/alterations/tailor shop she got hers done for $30. I told the House of Brides I thought $375 was a lot for a hem and taking in the sides 1" so I took my questionable dress with me. They took out the pins and said I can never bring the dress back for alterations.

In the meantime, I am still not convinced this is my dress. I slept on it. I mentioned it to a coworker the next morning. I can't get it off my mind. I mentioned it to my fiance and he insisted I take the dress back just to compare with similar styles just to rule out the others. He feared that perhaps someone else offered more money for my dress and they substituted a similar one for me.

With the dress I explained to the women at the HOB my situation and they refused to let me see any other similar gowns and insisted the one I have IS the one I chose. I am still not convinced but they denied even having anything else similar (even though they told me the first day the one I had was one of two). They were condescending in their tone and not empathetic at all. They are only kind to you until they get your money. I called another location and they booked an appointment for me two hours later.

I arrived and explained. They viewed the gown and tried to feign their disbelief that I got such a detailed dress with all of that ruching for so cheap that they would not have sold it for that cheap and they didn't have anything for the price I paid (Isn't it a chain store? Doesn't corporate set the price?). The dress is fine and I like it okay enough but I am just not sold that it is the exact version of the style I bought. It is just a ruched version of the same one I had that was smooth with little ruching and a definite ivory instead of a surprised they called it ivory. I wish I had taken a photo at the time I bought it.

I offered to buy another dress even if it cost more if they could credit this impostor dress toward the sale of my new one. It was a win-win for them. They sell a more expensive dress and they still just have one to sell and they could sell it for a higher price if it is such a fabulous gown. I wasn't asking for a refund. They said I could shop their big 20-50% off sale for this weekend and just sell my dress on eBay. My fiance told me to go find a new dress that makes me as happy as the day I found the original dress so he can feel good about putting out that kind of money knowing I am happy with my dress and we will have to try to sell this one on eBay or something.

House of Brides in Schaumburg has the worst customer service that I have ever encountered in any business and the most disrespectful management. I bought a bridesmaids dress at House of Brides in Schaumburg and spend $360.00 on the dress with alterations included. We had ordered the dress a couple months in advance of the wedding and I who am a size 10 ordered a size 20 dress because my husband and I were trying for to get pregnant and I wasn't sure how far along I would be at the time of the wedding.

At my fitting I was 11 weeks pregnant and my dress was very large, and the alterations manager proceeded to pin the dress to bring it in around the bust, hips and length. I had asked her to leave the stomach section alone so that it allowed for two more weeks of tummy growth. After the dress was pinned I let her know that it appeared a little short since I was barefoot. The alterations manager indicated that it is just the way it is pinned and rest assured it would be just a little bit longer.

My final fitting was scheduled a week prior to the wedding on Saturday just before the store closing at 4:45 pm. I came in with my toddler who was already a little crabby as she had not taken a nap yet. I quickly tried on the dress and noticed that barefoot the dress exposed my toes and heels and was not touching the floor. The alterations manager said that it needed to be at least 1 inch off the floor to avoid a tripping hazard. I explained to her that I was barefoot and still needed to wear shoes. She brushed it off and assured me the length was fine. I then mentioned that the dress is really tight at the way top of the dress where the hook is making it look like I had fat spilling out of the top of the dress.

The alterations manager then said that I am lucky we even got the dress to go out this far since I am pregnant. I proceeded to tell her that this dress had been taken IN not OUT. Then her excuse was that I clearly had grown in the two weeks since the first fitting. She again assured me that the length was fine and that the dress looked good. She quickly rushed me out. It was a nightmare. I was so upset I left the store because they insisted they couldn't and wouldn't do anything further and that the dress was perfect.

That same evening I went home and tried on the gown to show my husband and he agreed that the dress was too short and that the back section was too tight and looked very unflattering. The very next morning I went back to House of Brides to talk to the alterations manager about the dress being too tight and too short. This was on Sunday and alternations was closed. I asked the receptionist if a manager was available and she stated that no managers work on Sunday. I explained the situation to her and she agreed to take the dress and pass the information along to the alterations manager the next day.

On Monday morning I got a call from Iwona the alterations manager who said I needed to pick up the dress immediately as they were not going to touch it. I tried to talk to her about my concerns and she proceeded to lie and tell me that I never expressed any concerns to her and that the dress was perfect when I left the store on Saturday. She was extremely rude and disrespectful with constant come backs about how it is because I am pregnant that I don't fit. The dress is baggy in the tummy area so that is not the case at all!!

The dress was just taken in a bit too tight around the very top section where the hook was. I demanded to speak to the store manager. Oh, what a joke that was. Chris who claimed she was the store manager got on the phone and proceeded to tell me that there is nothing she can do that I need to speak with Alterations and that it is ultimately their decision on whether or not they will fix the dress. Chris then proceeded to say that if I had common sense I would have never left the store on that Saturday if I had any concerns with the merchandise. I should have demanded that day that it be fixed and not left. Easier said than done when you have your two year old toddler who is very antsy and a rude alteration manager rushing through the appointment because it was the end of her day.

After the back and forth between the alterations manager and the store manager they told me to come back in to try on the dress and we can discuss next steps in person. I am writing this now prior to this appointment and am really contemplating what to do. The more I think about it the more appalled I am that this has escalated this far and that both so called managers were so rude and disrespectful that I am unsure if I want to put myself in this confrontational situation. My fear is that out of spite the evilness of these two women will take over completely and the dress will be completely ruined and unwearable for the wedding this upcoming Saturday.

I am so upset, stressed out and disgusted over this whole situation that it is causing undue stress during my pregnancy and before this joyous occasion. In our wedding party alone all of the girls dresses were altered too short. The style of the dress was altered from a fitted gown with a train to an A-line dress with no train. This alterations manager does not know how to do her job and she surely has never been taught manners or respect.

In the end, the customer service at House of Brides is appalling. They don't stand behind their work and make up excuses and blame the customers for anything that doesn't go right on their end. Of course they have already received payment so they don't believe they need to treat their customers with respect. They don't do anything to make right on their wrongs, and they certainly don't know how to do alterations or deliver customer service. I am determined to speak to someone at corporate or who owns this store because unfortunately they are really hurting their business by not training their staff on customer service skills and by employing such rude employees and managers. I hope that my review can save others from having such a negative experience.

Let me tell you a little bit about HOB. I ordered my dress in February. I was told my dress would be made from The designer, sent to the HOB shop, and then to my house. Now the only reason we decided to go this route was because they offered the dress for $400 less than the boutiques that we had looked at them at. Fast forward a few months, it's now the middle of July. My dress was supposed to be delivered 2 weeks ago. So I emailed asking if I could be assisted in tracking my wedding dress. I spoke to some lady named Gay over email and over the course of 6 or 7 emails, she basically went from "Yes! I'll help you!" To "I'll forward your email to my supervisor. I can't help you", and all because I caught her in her own lies and changing stories.

So I took it a step further and emailed the designer myself, asking if indeed that they worked with HOB just to ensure that I would be getting an authentic dress instead of a China made one. Their response? No, they do not work with HOB. So for the past 5 months, I have been waiting for a dress that #1 probably would have never come, or #2, if it did come- would have been made by some slave child from some caves in China. HOUSE OF BRIDES ILLEGALLY SELLS DRESSES THAT HAVE THE DESIGNER TAG ON IT BUT WERE MADE ELSEWHERE. It's funny After I told Gay that I wrote my designer... she stopped emailing me back! I'm glad my designer took the matters into their own hands and I hope they sue house of brides for everything they are worth and then some.

I bought my dress at House of Brides and was told that I had to pay $400 up front for alterations, which I did. At my second fitting my dress was ridiculously tight, we couldn't even zip it up, and my seamstress, the alterations MANAGER indicated that she took the dress in too much and that she'd have to take it out a few inches, but assured me my dress would look great for my wedding.

The Monday before my wedding I had my final fitting. The second I got into the dress I indicated that it was too tight, despite the fact that I had lost 5 pounds since my previous fitting. The seamstress then proceeded to stick her hands down my dress and pull on it to indicate that it wasn't actually too tight. What she failed to realize, which I'm not sure if she's blind or just stupid, but it wasn't too tight around my hips, but around my ribs. I had a key hold back dress so the entire back was open and it looked like I had fat spilling out of the sides of my dress. It was a nightmare. I was so upset I left the store in complete hysterics because they insisted they couldn't and wouldn't do anything further.

I settled down by Thursday and went back to House of Brides to talk to the alterations manager about the dress being too tight. Once again, I found myself standing in a dress that I now hated because they ruined it and the seamstress continued to stick her hands down my dress and insist that it was right. When I started pleading that the dress be taken out more the seamstress said, and I quote: "Well, you're honestly just too short for this dress, and the way it's pulling together makes you look fat in the back, that's not my fault. If I were your consultant I would have never let you buys this dress". I was so offended and appalled that I left, again, in complete hysterics. I was embarrassed, insulted, and now I had no dress to wear for my wedding taking place in 48 hours.

I had to spend the day before my wedding finding another, more capable, seamstress who had no problem understanding what I was saying and saw the issue immediately. She was able to take the dress out and fortunately I had asked House of Brides to provide me with all of my extra fabric, otherwise I would have had a mismatched dress. I was able to wear the dress, but I hated it and still do today, solely because the seamstress at House of Brides made me feel uncomfortable and self-conscious in the dress. I feel that House of Brides did not deliver on any of their promises that I paid them for and that I should be refunded for my dress as well as my alterations.

Since my wedding, I have reached out to every email I can find as well as called every manager at every House of Brides establishment. I've left reviews, and updates on those reviews, only to receive 3 emails from customerservice@houseofbrides.com. The first email was introductory, the second asked for substantiating receipts for the additional alterations, and the final indicated that they had reviewed "my file" and would be reimbursing me for $100.

I immediately emailed them in response indicating that I did not agree with this decision at all, as I am asking for a full refund, and asking for details of what "my file" entailed and what, exactly was reviewed. I also asked for the contact information of someone higher up so that I could escalate the issue since I don't agree with their decision. I've sent them this email 5 times and received no response. I called the manager at the hub store, no response.

In summation, the work they do at House of Brides is appalling. They don't deliver or stand behind their work. They don't believe in the philosophy that the customer is always right. They want your money, knowing you'll pay up front, because it is your wedding, after all. Once they get payment in full, they treat you like a complete stranger, as if you never existed and don't matter. They don't respond to emails in a timely manner, if at all. They don't do anything to make right on their wrongs, and they certainly don't know how to do alterations or deliver customer service. I'm embarrassed for having fallen into the House of Brides trap and for letting them ruin my wedding, but the damage that they did is irreparable.

We are a bridal store, we were wanting to buy some mother of the bride dresses from House of Brides. On Nov 24, 2015, we ordered 16 dresses. Immediately they took the money out of our account. They called us in a couple days and said they only have 7 dresses in stock, wondered if we could change our order. I did change some of the dresses, but I told them just to refund the money.

I have called several times a week, spoke with Gay, (she is nice) but she said I needed to speak with Donna the supervisor. She connected us, but only the voicemail came on in which I left a message. I have done that several weeks in a row. I have a paper stating each time I have called. No one has yet to call me back. It is now Jan. 19, 2016, and I have yet to receive my refund. Today, she hung up on me. If only I would have read reviews on them before I ordered, I would have saved myself a lot of headaches. I also have reported them to the BBB. I think each one of you that have complaints should do that as well.

Updated on 02/01/2016: Since I posted the review, and turned them in to the BBB, They have since reimbursed my money. Will I ever do business with them again? No!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about House of Brides?

House of Brides has given me the worst experience I have had while purchasing via the internet. I had purchased a Terani Couture gown for my year 12 formal to only be emailed the day after (oddly also the same day my transaction had gone through) that my gown was not in stock and in fact they were not taking orders for Terani Couture dresses at the moment. I was in disbelief that this company had advertised and accepted money for a product that they simply didn't have to sell.

Instead of immediately offering to give me a refund they told me to look at their Jovani line, it was only until I had demanded a refund that they had accepted that and told me it would take 30 business days, seriously!? I had purchased something that does not exist within their company and they are going to hold my money for 30 business days considering it only took 1 business day for them to receive my money I had purchased for the gown. After notifying them that I have contacted my bank who are undertaking a fraudulent investigation on their company, I have not received a single email back from them. And as I have had a browse through their website since the incident they are still selling gowns from the Terani Couture designer in which they have openly said they aren't taking orders from this designer at this time. I am shocked and appalled! DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THIS WEBSITE!

I get married in 14 days, and no dress. Every time I call, the only person that's able to look up the dress is the manager. Well, this day I was told everyone is off because it's a big sell on Friday. Wth, where in the hell do they do this? I'm so stressed.

Ordered and paid for dress seven months prior to wedding date. Waited six months and called them with no answer as to why I haven't got my dress. Called the manufacturer making the dress and they advised they did not order the dress. Calls will not get you anyone but the first person that answers. There will come a time they will start hanging up on you. I have contacted law enforcement for fraud and credit card company. Beware of this company. It is suppose to be a great time in your life not this stress.

A complete sham of a company! As I have now heard all too often from other customers of this company House of Brides has no scruples, they will take your money and never contact you again. I was fortunate as it was only one bridesmaid dress for my daughter at her big brother's wedding, not the bride. But still we were left with one week to find another dress as the one ordered in February from them never arrived, I too was given the run around by the staff at this awful company and eventually given a refund through PayPal, not sure if anyone else was lucky enough to get the money back. Just Do Not use this company. I can't believe they would set out to ruin what should be the happiest day of someone's life. My heart goes out to all the brides that had this company spoil their day. Spread the word - this company should be put out of business and soon.

I am the bride and my wedding date is 7/17/15. We ordered my bridesmaid's dresses from the Glen Ellyn store in January of this year and paid in full. There are 6 dresses total. House of Brides did not call to give us any updates on the dresses until my sister called them last month to get an update. They could never give us any helpful information whenever we call so we were forced to leave numerous voicemails to the manager and asst. manager since we could never get a hold of the manager in charge to get some updates. We were told the regular employees had no access to check the system on our orders. I am skeptical about that information because if the manager isn't present then no one at the store can check for order statuses? I find that hard to believe!

It is very frustrating as one can imagine when my wedding day draws closer and closer and I don't have any dresses for my bridesmaids to wear. Finally, 9 days before the wedding on July 8th, I got a call back from Michelle, the manager at the Glen Ellyn store, and she told me she still does not have any tracking or whereabouts on the dresses. At this point I have had it! I only have 9 days to scramble for dresses because House of Brides is not able to deliver our dresses on time that we ordered from January of this year! This is highly unacceptable! At this point, I just asked for a full refund to be processed ASAP so my girls and I can go shopping again for their dresses. This is an unacceptable form of customer service and I will never use this company for anything else in the future, and nor will I recommend it!

This people are a nightmare. I placed an order on their website and accidentally submitted it twice. They refused to cancel one order and am having to deal with my credit card to see if they will dispute that charge. Please do not buy anything online from these people.

I ordered a pair of shoes to match a dress for a wedding… Delays in delivery meant that my daughter had to receive them for me the very day she left to join the rest of the wedding party in Italy. Good news: The shoes did actually match my dress. Bad News: The sizing of the shoes was much smaller than average so I couldn't wear them! I had taken a backup pair just in case, but actually loved the shoes. As soon as we landed back home, I reached out to House of Brides for instruction on exchanging them for the next size up. Didn't want my money back, just wanted the right size. No way! They just continued to insist that there were no returns or exchanges, which is entirely unreasonable when the issue is the size. I want the shoes, but I want them to fit me… no movement whatsoever. Extremely disappointed and will never buy from the site again. What am I supposed to do with a very expensive pair of beautiful shoes that I cannot wear?

I received my package and was very happy; and when I opened it my wedding shoes were not there. I contacted customer support and they said they can't do anything for me, since for their records they shipped the correct package. I can't believe it! They just don't care. Please don't buy here.

House of Brides is a nightmare! Do not do business with them! I ordered a handbag for my wedding from these people. Two weeks later when it still had not shipped, I contacted the company only to discover that they no longer sold this item, leaving me to have to scramble to find another purse. There was no communication from House of Brides notifying me of the issue before I called them. Naturally I asked for a refund.

After returning home from my honeymoon... this was weeks later... I found they still had not credited my account. I called once again and was told that returning my money could take up to 30 days! Didn't matter that this issue was not my fault. Didn't matter that they had already kept my money for two weeks after I placed my order without notifying me they could not fill it. I have now called them three times trying to get a response, and just today, as their bizarre 30-day refund deadline approaches, they are now telling me they require 30 "business days".

I should also mention that the customer service representatives will not give me any update as to the status of my refund when I call, they only say "it takes up to 30 days for a refund". They have no explanation as to why it takes so long for a refund and my attempts to speak to a manager have gone unanswered. House of Brides is a dishonest company. You should avoid doing any sort of business with them at all costs!

Worst experience ever! I am still dealing with the headache of ordering from here. The customer service is horrible and I am getting nowhere! I paid for express shipping and express ordering. They are telling me that my dress will ship out from them the end of November. The wedding is December 12! I have no idea how they find that acceptable. Every time I call my dress seems to get pushed back on when it should be shipped out! I am so upset and so disappointed in the service with House of Brides. I will NEVER EVER use them again and would pay someone to not use them!

We have been given 5 different dates the bride's dress would be ready by and every date has passed unsuccessfully. Every time a deadline was missed, we called the store and were given a new date that would eventually not be met. Finally, they said a manager would call us back the next day. Of course, the manager didn't call and so I called her. The manager was more rude than the staff. She tried repeatedly to cut me off before I was even done explaining who we had spoken to and the dates we had been given. She said it will be ready in 2 weeks (8 weeks after they originally said it would be ready), and when I asked what the recourse was if that date passed, she dismissed it and said we didn't need to discuss a recourse since it would arrive.

When I pointed out that her organization had no credibility when it came to meeting deadlines its staff had set, she said that didn't matter because it didn't come from her directly. She then said she didn't need to discuss this with me as the bride's name is the one on the order and hung up. I couldn't even believe how I was treated, and this is hands down the worst customer service I recall receiving in my life. They're rude, they don't follow through on their promises, and I feel like I was ripped off. I wouldn't give them a good rating for value, even though the dress was cheap, as had I known the experience would be this awful, I'd have gladly spent ten times more. I wouldn't let anyone I care about order from House of Brides!

To add further evidence of their lack of integrity, they started telling us "the system" was down and they couldn't look up our order. Keep in mind, they only said this after asking the name on the order. Sensing a lie, we had the maid of honor call and ask them to look up a fake order name - shockingly the system wasn't down for her, but it was when my fiancee called for our actual order right before and when I called right after. They're liars and apparently also stupid, thinking they can pass off a lie that base. I own an IT company, so I asked what they specifically were referring to in regards to their system being down (application, hardware, Internet, WAN) - the poor girl couldn't even BS a half decent response when I said I know it worked a minute ago when a friend called and find it highly irregular that the "system" being down would only affect the ability to look up our order apparently.

Just stay away from this place. Integrity is the foundation of trust between a goods or services provider and their customers, and House of Brides seemingly is not even remotely interested in trying to appear to have any integrity. "I'm sorry but I simply don't have an update on the status," is a far better answer than lies, delay tactics, and hanging up.

My pathetic experience was placed online. My order from 10/12/2010 has created 2 negatives. First, I was unaware that my order would take over 3 months to arrive (which I am still waiting for). Second, because of the error in the website, my order was processed 2 times, therefore, it was double charged.

When any average person places an order, they know that usually the shipping arrival times given are really a deadline for them to deliver. Well, their website does have the feature that checks the estimated time of arrival, but only if you click a specific button somewhere. It does not actually disclose it on your order (normally it would say "Standard: Usually ships in _ to _ business days). I only found out later after following up about a refund that I had not yet received.

The website had originally given me an error after clicking on the "Submit my order" button, so I refreshed my page F5 and clicked submit again hoping nothing would go wrong because it did not give me a confirmation number on the first click of submit. When I checked my email, it had sent me 2 separate emails for 2 separate order numbers. I was double billed!

It was a weekday (during their business hours), I instantly called them up and expressed that I needed to be refunded for the second transaction. They said that they would note the account to process a refund and that I would receive an email from their company. I did actually receive an email. It said: I will send your refund info to the Accounting Department to look into.

I have called 3 times (including an hour ago) and sent out 5 emails in total regarding this issue (one call a month and several emails back and forth). Today is Saturday, ("managers are not available" on weekends, as per customer service's words). Here is the thing, they sound so professional and re-assuring about the situation that you automatically give them a chance. But now I've had it!

I had read many reviews about them, unfortunately, only after determining that I have an issue in my hands. It’s been over 3 full months today that I have processed my request for a refund of $141.00. I asked the girl on the phone or name of a contact that I could reach out to during their business hours (8 am-4 pm Monday through Friday). She did not give me a name, but rather an address of 1184 Roosevelt Rd, Suite A, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137. He will be getting a letter from me soon too.

I am, unfortunately not the only victim/customer. It turns out that other girls that are part of the same wedding are also experiencing the same issue. Beware they do not give you refunds! I lost out on $141 and I am still waiting for my dress and it’s been over 3 months.

I placed an order online with House of Brides. They had the best price and stated that they need 8-9 weeks for delivery. It was 10 weeks before I needed the dress so I placed the order. A couple days later, they sent an email (that looked like spam) stating that they needed to place a rush on the order for $45 more. Well, that just sounded like someone just wanted to profit more money so I let another week go by. Then three weeks later, they state they cannot fulfill my order. That leaves me in a bind to order elsewhere because now it's seven weeks until the wedding.

So, I go from saving a few dollars to paying nearly double to have this dress super rushed from Dress For Less Bridals who had to call in favors to get this dress for me. Why couldn't House of Brides produce the dress in 10 weeks? Then, when trying to call the company, no one offered any answers or solutions. In fact, they can't even immediately give me my money back.

They want to hold it for 30 days. How about that? When asked to speak with a supervisor, the receptionist told me they only take email and referred me to a generic email that is probably going straight to their junk mail. After calling for two days, she finally gave me a name, Judy, but said they don't give last names. Funny, huh? So, by trying to save $10 initially, I ended up spending double the price!

I placed a series of orders for bridesmaids' dresses which were received by House of Brides on June 14, 2010 which apparently did not get sent to the manufacturer until July 16, 2010. As a result, my order will not be ready for shipment until the first week in October which is extremely close to my October 10, 2010 wedding date. When I spoke to their customer service, they claimed that the manufacturer (Bari Jay) was backed up and filling orders late. This is not the case. Rather, their service department held the order for weeks before sending it to the manufacturer which has resulted in the extremely late delivery date (a date so late that the bridesmaids will not have time to do alterations).

According to your customer service representative, the order should have been placed with the manufacturer (Bari Jay) on the following business day. Instead, it was held for weeks. The credit cards were not charged for over a week after the order was received and the order not placed with the manufacturer for weeks after that.

The staff's failure to process the orders in a timely manner has resulted in a very late delivery date for the dresses for an October 10, 2010 (Sunday) wedding, well over the 16 weeks the website claims it should arrive by under the terms section. Even if the dresses were shipped directly to the city of the wedding (as opposed to the bridesmaids' home as was originally requested so they could have alterations done) during the first week of October, they might still not arrive by Saturday, October 9, 2010. The website claims that it takes 7-10 days for a dress to be delivered from the store to one's home. I was told, however, by a customer service representative that I could pay extra to have the dresses sent overnight mail! It is unacceptable that we would be expected to pay additional shipping charges due to their representatives failing to put the order in to the manufacturer in a timely manner and this would still not ensure that they arrive in time for any alterations to be possible.

This is unacceptable. The premise that as long as the dresses arrive by October 9 for an October 10 wedding does not allow for alternations,a reasonably expected need given that this is standard on most bridesmaids' dresses.

I requested that you rush the order but was told that you cannot rush the order once it has been placed and I was told that even if we placed a rush order at this point, it would not be delivered until early October (while the Bari J. voicemail message claims that rush orders will arrive by September 15). One of your customer service representatives told me I could call the manufacturer (Bari J. ) directly and look up the dress order. When I asked for an order number to look it up, she stated it was not needed (this was after she claimed to have just called the manufacturer on my behalf and claimed that Bari J. had looked up the dresses using the names of the bridesmaids). When I called Bari J., they told me they cannot look up a dress without a P.O. and account number or their own order number and that House of Brides was giving me the run around.

I believe that House of Brides has been claiming that Bari J. 's orders were backed up rather than admitting that they only very recently submitted the order despite having received it 6 weeks ago and this is the reason that the orders are so delayed. No one took the initiative to try to rectify a situation that one or more of your employees created by 1) not processing the order when it came in, and it came in twice,once via your website and secondly by mail, 2) holding up four orders when only one person had a problem with the credit card and 3) never informing the customers about their being a problem until when, according to your staff, it is too late to rectify the problems. 4) This the first business I have ever dealt with when they refuse to let customers speak to a supervisor when the customer representative cannot resolve the problem.

It is ironic to listen to the taped message about how you pride yourself on your customer service while sitting on hold, calling various representatives to try to piece what happened to our order as no one person would give me all the information, and being put on hold while the representative purportedly was calling Bari J. about the order, and being told that Bari J. could look up the orders by the customers name, which was not true. None of my bridesmaids received confirmations from you when you placed the orders, so we did not have confirmation orders to help your staff track them (the first representative said she could not give us that information nor the order numbers), they were not informed you had held up the orders, you did not advise them at the time you placed the orders that they should make the orders rush orders to have time to receive them before they traveled to Youngstown for the wedding and the events preceding the wedding (and for alterations).

5) A company with a large online business with all the sites that brides share information should have good customer service, but I am disappointed to find out that is not the case. If you do the volume of business that you claim to do on your on hold recordings, you should be able to contact the manufacturer and get the delivery date changed. However, no one had an interest in taking that next step to satisfy your customers. I would like to have my order canceled and the bridesmaids' refunded for the four dresses which will not arrive on time or have you put in a rush order that will expedite the dresses so that they will arrive on time.

House of Brides Company Profile