Virginia Natural Gas

Virginia

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Billing me for their error. I just received both a notice and my monthly bill in the mail today from Virginia Natural Gas. The first letter states, "This is to inform you that your next monthly bill will reflect a one-time charge in the total amount of $67.93. This charge is for local utility taxes not billed due to an incorrect tax code on your account." I already pay taxes on my Virginia Natural Gas bill AND I pay a utility tax every other month as well. How can this be legal?

I have been a customer to many gas companies over the last 10 years. This company is charging the highest delivery fees in the USA. For a bill of $21, I paid $17 delivery cost. Do they send someone to my home to pump the gas into my pipeline? If you ask them why? The answer is because the weather is warm for this period. Are you punishing me for God's act? They want to take your money anyway or another. Paperless is another bad game this company played on customers, now they are charging you $2.95 fees for paying the bill??? I wish there were another company in the area and trust me no one will ever buy their service. And if you try to cut or end the service because you are moving then it will take them 2 weeks to cut the service. To summarize, I felt all things with this company as it is a legalized theft.

Virginia Natural Gas is clueless. They changed from paperless payment to online payment options which benefit the company but they don't know that it is hurting the customers. The customers now have to pay a fee just to pay their bills. It does not make any sense. The IT Specialist for Virginia Natural Gas should be fired.

I used to pay my VNG bill by mail then VNG offered oppt'y to pay online which I did, and it was free. I continued to receive a paper billing statement, however for my records. As of very recently (1 1/2 mo's ago) VNG now holds customers to pay a $ 2.95 service fee in order to pay online b/c they're now using an outside service, Western Union, to process the payments! While online about 1 - 1 1/2 mo's ago, I accidentally selected "paperless billing" before I realized I would have to pay nearly three dollars for the "privilege" of paying online. I tried and tried to undo that selection, but the web page would NOT allow the change back to paper statement.

I immediately called VNG cust service and told the rep on the phone of the error I'd made, and ALSO that the website was not working properly - would not allow me to make the change back! Cust. svc. rep told me I was scheduled to receive paper statements. All seemed ok. Well, here comes the next month (April). I have received NO bill at all. Also, they had stopped including envelopes in the statements as of several (maybe 6?) months ago. Now I have NO bill.

I emailed them about this, then they had the gall to send me an email indicating that I had "changed from paperless to paper statements," when this was already a foregone conclusion from last month!! I believe VNG is trying to force me and other customers to pay online in spite of the additional fee it will cost! And it occurs to me that now that I have NO statement, they will further try to charge me a LATE FEE b/c they have somehow screwed up! VNG doesn't seem to give a damn about me or any of their customers at all. We've been VNG customers for >20 yrs. This will not go unforgotten.

Anyone else having this problem, PLEASE contact the state's AG office and Consumer Protection agencies! Please complain. What VNG/the gas company is doing to customers w/ charging customers to pay online and limiting bill payment methods is just plain WRONG. The gas company apparently also uses these kinds of tactics in other states, as well (Ohio, for sure, according to a relative).

I am writing this review because I am very dissatisfied with the fact that I was trying to help the environment and go paperless. So I started paying my bill online from your website. Now you guys have switched to Western Union to pay our bill. They want us to pay $2.95 to use their service. I think this is very wrong. I am not happy about this at all. It really shows just how you feel about your loyal customers. If I choose to go to one of the payment centers like Farm Fresh they charge $2.50. So now I have asked to be switched back to paper so I can mail my bill in. I guess you guys don't really care about the environment either. It's not like we have a lot of other options but to use your company. If this does not change back the next house I buy will be all electric. I will never use your company again. I feel very taken advantaged of.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virginia Natural Gas?

I use Va. Natural Gas and have been noticing how outrageous the delivery charge is. One month my usage amount to $24 and the delivery fee was $44. I thought that was super high. I just received my new bill and the usage was $26 and the delivery fee was $65, I thought WHAT! So I called and asked them why the delivery fee was so much higher than last time and I had used almost the same amount of gas. The answer was because the weather was unusually warm for this period, they charged more for delivery fee. So they are going to get their money one way or the other, you can't win. I have tried to cut down ---on my bill by paying more than I owed each month, but no matter what, they are going to take your money. This is so unfair.

I had an appointment for reconnection scheduled for today, from 8-12pm. My son was home waiting for the technician to arrive. There were two cars in the driveway. The technician left a note on the door stating that someone has to be home, when someone was home waiting, the door bell never rang, no one knocked on the door. What am I supposed to do? Leave the door open? This is ridiculous. I called customer service, they said they will place an order back in the system, for ALL DAY. No time that they can give. They will come up until midnight. If no one is home, then they can't come back out until Monday. This is the worst company ever. They act as if people do not work, and the calling before they arrive, they will not do. Just insane. The government really needs to do something about VA Natural Gas. Technicians that lie. The prices and deposits are insane. Government regulate, or shut down, and takeover.

I have been living in my apartment for a week. I have been trying to get Virginia natural gas to come do their job so that I can actually cook things in my apartment. This is proving impossible. Finally get an appointment for 3 days later (today) "sometime between 8 and 12". I took off work for this. Call them at 11:45 to ask why no one has come. They say that someone came at 9:30 and I wasn't home. I have been waiting since I woke up this morning at 7 and have not left so I inform her that this is impossible.

I initially told them I would have to let them into the building because of the security code, so they should call me when they arrive. Did not call, did not knock, apparently just saw the keycode and left. When speaking on the phone, they said that calling was against policy so essentially I should have waited outside my apartment building during that 4 hour period for whenever they decided to show, or asked the building manager to do that. After rescheduling for another 4 days out, receptionist asks if she should tell them to CALL on arrival because of the keycode. Are you kidding me?

Virginia Natural Gas Co. gives all public utilities a black eye. VNG originally owned by Dominion Electric Power Co. (now Dominion Resources). Circa 1990 Dominion Resources sold VNG to Consolidated Natural Gas Co., Pittsburgh, PA. Later Dominion Resources bought CNG and then sold VNG subsidiary to Atlanta Gas Light Co. (AGL Resources), Atlanta, GA. VNG classic example an absentee owner 500 distant miles away in Georgia who does not care anything whatsoever about natural gas customers in far off Virginia that VNG supposedly serves.

This is THIRD week trying to establish gas service at rental property in Virginia Beach son and I jointly own. Filipino husband and wife, nine-year tenants retired, vacated premises, permanently returned to Manila, Philippines to live their golden years. VNG Atlanta, GA call center staffed entirely by non-caring, rudest persons that are humanly imaginable. In comparison VNG Call Center makes YouTube famously documented several Comcast CSR rudeness to customers instead a game played by rankest amateurs. VNG Call Center insolent staff should be immediately fired, marched to front door, told not to let swinging door hit their rear-ends when thankfully exiting premises for last time.

VNG Call Center demanded property owners (son and myself) must pay former tenants' delinquent gas bill before new service would be established. It takes minimum 30 days - but usually much longer - for air mail from US to finally be delivered in Philippines. I seriously doubt former tenants ever received VNG final bill. I informed Call Center that prior natural gas service legally contracted between VNG and former tenants - not the property owners. Then Call Center demanded proof of rental property's ownership to ensure persons trying to establish gas service - owners - were not former tenants' family who could still be living there. The list of documents VNG Call Center demanded advanced from one to another to another but by now, hopefully you get the point. An endless succession of documents.

Latest nonsense is VNG cannot call owner, or representative, in advance on day technician they SECRETLY scheduled to establish gas service. VNG insists that owner, or representative, must physically remain onsite property between early AM to late afternoon PM to ensure someone is there during 15 minutes VNG technician actually present and turns on gas control valve and lights gas furnace and gas water heater pilot lights. Rental property is VACANT- no furniture whatsoever. I suppose for VNG convenience, what property owner must sit or lay on bare floor all day? Told them either technician calls me in advance or forget the request to establish natural gas service because instead I'll rip out natural gas major appliances and install electric appliances.

After VNG ordeal finally ends, I'm writing detailed complaint letter to Virginia Corporation Commission that regulates Virginia public utilities like this bunch of monopolistic opportunists who routinely mismanage VNG to customers continued detriment. Sign me a thoroughly disgruntled VNG customer to be.

I moved into a Brenneman Farms apartment which had a gas fireplace. When it began to get cold I called to set up service which cost $30 which they billed me right away. Before I signed up I had checked their web site for rates, etc. I looked at both their fee and tariff sheets. When I rec'd my second bill I had used $5.44 worth of gas (10 ccf's) and my bill was for $33.35. When I reviewed my bill it had a delivery fee of $22.18 and utility tax for Virginia Beach of $5.52 (more than the actual gas that I used) and a .21 cents for local whatever.

I called and was informed that everyone pays this delivery fee no matter how much gas they used, in fact I asked what the fee would be if I used no gas and was told it would be slightly less. I was told that this fee is for overhead and the cost to keep the pipes working. I asked how was I to know about this fee and was told that when I signed up I could have asked what the delivery fee was going to be. Needless to say I asked to have it turned off since natural gas was not going to save me ANY money over electric. I also told Brenneman Farms office about this so they can warn the next tenant. Very disappointed in Virginia Natural Gas in Virginia Beach!

I'd called Virginia Natural Gas Company today, December 12, 2014 to REQUEST turn off services Monday, December 15, 2014 due to moving. It was explained that I would be charged for service until Tuesday and I will have to pay until it is off. This is unacceptable! Why should I have to pay for a service that I'd requested to shut off and would not use? If the service cannot be turned off until Tuesday, understandable, someone is moving in on Monday and I don't want them to use gas at my expense, THEY COULD/WOULD ABUSE! Virginia Natural Gas should have a set up protection for people disconnection of service when moving. I should NOT have to pay! If service is not off until Tuesday, so be it, I am not liable to pay after Monday, the day of request regardless of who enters after that date.

I've contacted other companies today to shut off other services as well and they'd explained in a PLEASANT MANNER that even if services remain on until Tuesday, MY REQUEST on shutting down on Monday is HONORED. What's wrong with this picture of Virginia Natural Gas? It is SAD that you, Virginia Natural Gas have to STEAL TO FAKE REASONS FOR MAINTAINING? IT IS NECESSARY, NO ONE SEEMS TO CARE OF CUSTOMER'S UNLESS IT'S BENEFITING THEM, THE COMPANY OR BOTH! I will seek a LAWYER regarding this matter, I am with Legal Shield, is there a lawyer within this company who can assist me?

This is my first time living in an apt that uses gas to provide heat. Upon setting up my account with Virginia Natural Gas, they did notify me of the fact that I would be charged a deposit. In no way was I made aware of how costly the deposit could come out to be. When I received my first bill I called to question why I was being charged $120 for a deposit, only to be informed that was only the first payment of a $360 deposit!

I realize this is not as high as some of the others posting one here, but still quite ridiculous. I understand that it is based on credit and past bills, but does not seem logical for 2 reasons. 1.) If I budget myself around a gas bill of $80/mo. maximum (on top of many other bills), by what standards would this be affordable for a single 24 year old? 2.) I should not suffer a high deposit for the fact that the previous tenants constantly had the heat on and did not pay their bills.

Having to pay such a high deposit forced me to have to pay my first 2 bills slightly late, further affecting my credit and costing me more money. Had I at least had some warning of the cost I could have budgeted more accordingly. If VA Natural Gas wasn't essentially a monopoly on the area I'd be more than happy to take my business elsewhere. In the meantime, can anyone suggest my options for recourse?

On SSA, had a bill for 87 dollars, never got a shut off notice. Came out door, found shut off card said contact gas company. Scratched though said shut off for 87 dollars so called. They said $87 and then $150 do sit live on fixed income and a five-year-old. Mind you, right after this would be the time I just used for cooking, getting warm. Did not use gas but for cooking in summer, sometimes not at all. So said forget it for now, can not afford. I am on SSA with child. Come to figure it has cost me more through summer to cook outside and having to eat at fast food. Called few weeks ago and was told $85, new bill was almost 230 dollars. I said that with deposit. Then she put me on hold for ever, came back said no, that last bill $87 plus I would have $150 deposit.

I have had gas for 13 years, told her I had spoken with someone, wrote down my new bill which was $24. She said, just funny if you add $87 and $150, that comes up to the first amount, she said I had to pay and then checked, said I had to pay $150 deposit. Had notice turnoff for $87 on door. She said that was not true, it was more. Next last summer, I did not use, has two months they came to check on why and they did not have a problem knocking to see why, but they come to turn off and do not knock. If they had knocked, I could have paid $87. I was at home with door open. Now there is no way on SSA and child I can pay. She finally hung up after asking how could that be turned off $87, new bill $24, I was told. Anyway, do not know what to do.

I asked to have my gas turned on. I do this every fall after shutting it off every spring for 10 years. They asked for my SS number, and I refused. I asked that they verify who I am some other way. The lady said I would have to fax in two forms of ID before they would turn my service on for the 11th year. I always pay my bills, by the way. They had my address in their customer records and the phone number I gave them on the call, yet she still refused to identify me with two forms of ID faxed to them. I told her I did this every year and have never been told to do that. I told her I have the customer ID for the last two years (They oddly give you a new one each time you turn it on, even for repeat customers - very odd.). I asked to speak to her supervisor, but she said she would only tell me the same thing. I again asked to be identified by what she had in her computer. Finally, she asked for the last four of my SS #. After I gave it to her, she agreed to turn on the gas. Her tone was rude, her knowledge of how to ID a repeat customer was deficient, and I felt bullied. All I wanted to do was be a customer, as I have been for 10 years. This is not the first incident I have had with this company. They have serious database issues and customer relations issues.

We have a house in Williamsburg, Virginia that we moved out of in September of 2010. No one has been living in the house. The only use of the gas was for keeping the house from freezing. The heat was kept way lower than when occupied. Water usage was only when we did cleaning and upgrades as the home was going on the market compared to daily showers, clothes washing, dish washing, etc.

In December of 2010 our Gas Bill was $101.35. In 2009, when we lived there, it was $110.23. As this makes no sense, we contacted Virginia Natural Gas. My wife called, as the account was in her name from a previous marriage. She was given the old run around with no answers. When the woman she was talking to refused to offer any plausible explanation, my wife asked to talk to a supervisor. Request Denied!

Infuriated, my wife told her to turn off our service (We had received a cut-off notice due to our not figuring we would have such a bill). A week or so later, I had an opportunity to try to resolve the situation. I have never in my life met such a self-righteous human being, a person with such a God complex. This woman, flat out refused to let me talk to anyone but her!

Here is another little tidbit, she did not cut our service off when we first asked. She made sure we got another month’s charges on our account! Surely there is someone we can talk to that can help us with this account. If I lived in Georgia, I would go to their offices myself and sit there until someone, anyone but this extremely arrogant woman!

I have been without water for 2 weeks now! I have missed 2 new service appointments, due to the fact that I have to work. I specifically left notes in the account for the technician to come between the hours 4-6pm. What do they do? They come before 4pm, in which I'm not home yet! I freaking told these people that I would not be home before 4:00pm. I have been without hot for 2 weeks now. I'm past frustrated. I will be calling whomever I need to call because this is ridiculous. There are people who actually work for a living, and can't be home. The window they gave is from 8am-6pm. So, the person I just spoke with said that the window was from 10am-4pm. **!

I called Virginia Natural Gas to have service turned on and found out that I had an enormous (to me) past due balance in which they wanted me to pay up front and also an additional deposit. I told them there was no way I could come up with all that money at once and asked them if I could make payments. They said no, so I said the only thing I could do was to file bankruptcy.

They turned on my gas and 2 months later, I received a shut off notice for the unpaid high old balance. I called them and spoke with a supervisor and told her that I really did not want to file bankruptcy that I wanted to do the right thing and pay off my bill, so the representative put me on a payment plan paying $100.00 a week (every Friday). After 3 weeks or so, my payday changed and I told them that I would have to pay every other week from now on. I was told okay.

So, that Monday I came home from work to find my gas shut off which leaves us no hot water, no heat, no drying our clothes, nothing. Tuesday, I called Virginia Natural Gas and talked to Ms. Sheila in the Escalation Team Department who was very nice. She put me on hold a couple times and came back saying that I could be put back on the payment plan and my payments would be every other week beginning May 7, 2010.

I was very happy about that but she also said that I just needed to go pay $200.00 and call back with the receipt number and my gas would be turned back on. So I scrounged up $200.00 that I didn't have and went to Farm Fresh and paid it, came home, called in with the receipt and was told that Ms. Sheila didn't have the authority to do what she did and that I either had to pay off the entire balance plus a new bill or file bankruptcy.

I was very upset and called back the next day to speak again with Ms. Sheila who was very apologetic and felt bad but said her supervisor told her that because of the amount of my balance I was not allowed to be put back on payments, yet they put me on payments before for close to the same amount. I have three children and I was paying them every week like promised but now there telling me that they would rather have me file bankruptcy than make payments and believe me paying an extra $100.00 a week is a lot of money to me. I would like to know if they can just cut people's gas (especially families with children)when I was making the payments.

Well, I have 3 beautiful children who have to go elsewhere to take showers because an ice cold shower or bath is hard to do especially for my 6 year old little girl. We have no heat, luckily it's not that cold our dryer doesn't work, so I'm spending money that I dont have at laundromats and with three children laundry piles up.

I moved into a rental home that unfortunately used gas for heat. I called up Virginia Natural Gas to get it turned on. After 20 minutes of listening to my rights, she told me I owe them a $700 deposit just to turn it on because of my credit. My mouth dropped, and I voiced how ridiculous $700 is when the electric company only asks for $180. She told me that I would be able to call up after 6 months of perfect payments to get my deposit credited to my account.

I am on a tight budget and an extra $235 a month for the first 3 months was outrageous, when I don't even use more then $120 a month during the winter. So I called them on February 1 to get my deposit credited back to my account, and I get told I have to wait until August because it's 12 months of perfect payments instead of 6.

I asked why the woman lied to me and that I agreed to 6 months not 12 when I signed up, and they told me I misunderstood her and that it was my fault and never that the woman misspoke. Then I was told that the reason why it was $700 was because it was based on the usage of the previous owners. The previous owner was an elderly lady, and she kept it at 85 degrees. At most, I will be spending $500 over a 12-month period. They said they only based it off the winter months, so $300 is what I will be spending during the winter months.

She told me they sent me out a letter about all of this on May 13. We didn't move in or have it turned on until May 31. So of course, we did not get the letter. I busted my butt to pay every month on time, if not early, just so I could get my money back in those 6 months. And now, they deny me, not because I was late, but because the woman lied to me during sign up just to get me off the phone.

I am overly strapped for cash now, because I should have been able to spend more during the winter in heat, because I would be getting my $700 credited back. I guess it's Ramen and tuna fish for the next 6 months. I feel like my money is being held hostage because of the bad economy.

I am on the budget plan w/Virginia Natural Gas and have been disconnected twice in the last 3 months. I am not even 1 month behind & my bill is $71.00 on the budget plan. I had made arrangements using their automated system to pay the bill on 11/4/09. I had made those arrangements on 10/22/09 & when I got home our gas was disconnected.

I paid the bill on Saturday, 10/24/09, and called them to have it reconnected on 10/26/09, Monday morning. They will not re-connect our gas until Monday, 11/2/09, and I have to take off work from 8 to 12 to make sure someone is home to relight the pilot lights. I have a balance of $71.00 due to Va Natural Gas by 11/22/09! The inconvenience of this whole situation is unbelieveable: cold showers, cold water to wash hands in the flu season & disinfecting hand soap is good but without hot water it doesn't work as well, all clothes have to be washed in cold water & hot water is what really kills germs on towels, washcloths, sheets, pillowcases, & dishcloths & dish towels. So all germs, especially flu can be spread much more easily.

VA Natural Gas is very quick to turn your gas off, but to get it turned back on takes 10 days? What rotten customer service! They also have a $400.00 deposit on my account based on a prior owner's usage as my budget payment is only $71.00 per month. Does this make any sense? This type of customer service is ridiculous and the worst of any in this area.

I have never had so much trouble with any ""public service"" company. You can rarely understand the person you have to speak to as they are from India/Bangledesh, etc, & have very thick accents. If you ask for a supervisor, they also have a thick accent. If there was any other natural gas provider in the area, I would change so quickly & so would a lot of other people I know!

At approximately Nov 7th I placed a telephone call to the gas company about a gas leak reported behind the master meter at 1274 Rosemont Ct. The gas company has refused to give Management here at First Oakmont North Townhomes any information concerning the problem in writing.

There is a potiential danger because there is a strong odor of gas escaping into the atomosphere of an apartment complex.

Imposing a DELIVERY CHARGE, based on consumption.

This charge was not approved by th regulatory agencies, nor the customers and is not charged in any other States.

Virginia Natural Gas Company Profile