1.11/5

Need a utility company?

Virginia

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

33 Virginia Natural Gas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I receive service from Virginia natural gas since 1996. Suddenly last winter the bill doubled. I caught a cold and turned the thermostat up. I was sick for 2 weeks. My bill went up to $270 for that month. When I called to inquire I was told it would gradually decrease...?! The bill should reflect usage! Once the thermostat is turned down the bill should go down. It never did! Every month the bill came in for over $200. I live in southeast Virginia. We get cold days, but not cold weeks or months!

I've been in this house for 23 years and have never received a bill for $200! Last winter every bill was OVER $200. I am a retired elder on a fixed income. Then they suggested I have them average the bills to the same amount each month. I cannot afford to give VNG $200 a month in any way, shape, form or fashion. Be it in increments, installments, or whatever. We need an advocate or watchdog agency for this monopoly! We cannot beat them or take our service elsewhere. Hopefully Consumer Affairs will help.

Original review: July 18, 2018

June 28. Direct payment online made. June 28. We erred by adding a 1 to the amount due of 125.54. They credited the over payment same day June 28. July 3. Customer service at a loss for answers about how we get $1075.39 refunded. July 10 Called again. No, there is no one to contact other than customer service. July 12. Called again... We’re told accounting reviews overpayments only on Tues & Thurs. Told it’s their POLICY. July 13. E-mailed our congressman Bobby Scott for help. July 18. Called again... Our refund check was mailed July 12. We should receive it by July 25.

Website shows no Company policies. None about accounting or overpayment rules. o date the gas company has held our money 3 weeks. 3. We are on fixed income. Our mortgage is late now. 4. Allowing 5 business days from July 12, the refund should have been received. 5. If we do have to wait till July 25, our money has been in their hands for 4 weeks. Wanted this matter “on the record”. We have penalties to pay on to creditors now. At a loss about how to resolve this matter. Other gas consumers may be faced with a similar brick wall. Do we have any recourse?

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: June 5, 2018

Convenience fee huh? I dropped the e-bill because I was missing notices as well. I figured with paper I'd have a hard copy to remind me. But sometimes they don't make it through the mail for whatever reason. So you just be-bop over to the on-line account and see what you used and how much you owe right? No, not even. Customers signed up for paper bills are not permitted access to account information on-line. How is that for convenience?

Seems to me they must have had to go out of their way to punish customers who prefer paper statements. But hey, they are not quite as bad as Cox who switch you over to e-bill without your knowledge or consent, never send you a bill, expecting you to go to your account online to figure it all out, then raise the monthly fee and never send notice that you are in arrears. Only figured it out when service went out and we called to report it. Not sure when we would have found out had there not been a service interruption.

Original review: March 23, 2018

After 30 years of being a customer Virginia Natural Gas has shown me its true colors. Am I partially at fault? Yes. Am I solely at fault? No. I am on paperless billing and had not received an email that my statement was ready since October. Service was cut off in February. After paying the amount required ($500+) and service being restored, they tacked a $320 deposit on our account. I received a payment confirmation email for the payment in February. However, still did not receive an email regarding my statement being ready until yesterday. I discovered all of this when I looked at my statement today and it is showing a balance of over $650+.

Come to find out that what I paid in February did not include February's bill for which I never received "paperless" statement email. They pushed the blame to my ISP for why I hadn't received "paperless" statements for 4 months. I also was not informed that we were removed from the budget plan until today. While researching my emails, I found a payment confirmation receipt for September that they say they never received. After calling and spending over 30 minutes on the phone, the only thing they are willing to do is send the missing payment to their research department.

After 30 years of being a customer, they refuse to waive the deposit. I had them remove me from paperless billing (sorry Mother Nature) to eliminate electronic errors going forward. I never had any issues with VNG until now. This experience has ruined the 30 years of good experience. Everything is fine until there is an error. Then they could care less about the customer, the length of service or the circumstances leading to the issue. If someone were to ask me if they should install Natural Gas I would tell them absolutely not, unless they want to get stabbed in the back should they have any issues with statements and billing.

Original review: March 23, 2018

They have the nerve to call it a "Convenience Fee???" Convenient for them to receive $2.95 from everyone... Wouldn't you think??? Now the way I got it figured... I have a checkbook (w/ checks), I have a printer, I have envelopes, I buy a roll of stamps every year around Thanksgiving to use for Christmas cards and usually have about half of them left over to use for the following year. So I printed 12 envelopes to Virginia Natural Gas (with return address) and put them in my gas bill file.

So now I go online to look at the bill... And print it out, cut the bottom (return stub) off, put it in one of my preprinted envelopes, put a stamp on it and mail it. Now, somebody at the other end has to expend Virginia Natural Gas recourses to open that envelope and process that payment. Their choice... They can do that for free (cost me a stamp) or charge $2.95 so they don't have to expend resources processing checks in-house. Everyone!!! Stop paying them online!!! Print your bill and mail a check!!! Don't pay them, make them pay!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virginia Natural Gas?

Original review: March 13, 2018

More of the same. Big company that has a monopoly in the area with no competitors. Doesn't have to win your business, or fight to keep it. Strong arm and bullying tactics. RIDICULOUS $2.95 ONLINE BILL PAY FEE! I repeat, this company actually charges you money to pay your bill!!! No, this isn't a joke. Out of all my accounts, none charge me to pay my bill online, even the fellow monopolies. I pay hundreds of dollars a month to VNG, and they weasel in a few more bucks at the end.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I have lived in my house since 2001 and although I have been late on many occasions (can't get blood from a turnip) I have never had my gas turned off for non payment. Back in Sept 2014 I was told to pay a $350 deposit, which I did in increments. It is now Feb 2018 and each of the previous 3 yrs I have inquired about when MY deposit would be returned. I was told an analysis is done each year but I had some late payments so now I have to start a whole new year with perfect timely payments. Here is a question for you - if I have a few late payments each year for the next 50 years (I am 60 years old) when can I expect to get my deposit back? I was comforted by the fact that they told me my deposit would accrue interest. I ASKED THE QUESTION (WAS NOT VOLUNTEERED TO ME) - WHAT WAS THE INTEREST RATE? A whopping .001% - whooo hooo.

Add the # of deposits they hold on their customers (probably in the tens of thousands) x THE INTEREST THEY EARN ON our MONEY that is probably sitting in their BANK OF CHOICE and I guarantee the interest rate they get is much bigger than .001%. THEY ARE MAKING MONEY ON OUR MONEY. Not to mention they are a monopoly. Also they are the only company I have service with that sends out a nasty threatening letter to cut off service after 15 days.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I currently live In Hampton and have been trying to get my gas turned on for about a week now. They have finally given me a time frame between 8 am – 4 pm. And someone HAS to be at the house. Unfortunately, it’s 19 degrees outside, I asked for a better time frame because I have my 2-month-old newborn son with me. When I called back to ask when the technician would be there, they gave me the same runaround. Absolutely ridiculous that they can’t give a better time frame especially to a mother and their newborn in below freezing temperatures... So we’re sitting in my car until they come to turn on the gas. ABSOLUTELY, ridiculous, I have never been so mistreated by a company, and their lack of care towards the general public is humiliating. If there was another company I would never go back to VNG.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I moved in my apartment on the 1st of Aug. I'm still waiting on my gas to come on. They have given me the runaround! Saying they needed proof that I was living there because there was already a balance on the account from someone else in that unit. My office sent the proof to them 4 times! Then they said that they have been trying to get in contact with my property manager to confirm that I was a new resident. They never let me nor my husband know that they couldn't get through to them (supposedly).

I went to the rental office in which they said that this never has happened with them before and they have already sent the fax saying I lived there. After they finally talked to my property manager gas people tell me that it will take 24 to 48 hours to investigate the issue in which they told me that already 3 DAYS AGO!!! I have kids!!!! We cannot afford to keep eating out!!!

The next available appt. that they told me they can install my gas would be on this up coming Thursday. They told me this on Monday. I said, "No. I need someone to come earlier. As previously stated I have 2 kids and we need to eat!" The lady checked again and said Wednesday. I asked to speak to a supervisor and of there wasn't one available! So she told me that I had to be home all day on Wednesday from 8 am to 12 am. That is practically Freaking Thursday!!! We have no more money and my kids are eating canned food!!! Also I am breastfeeding!!! The customer service sucks and I pissed off!!! Btw every time I call my rental office I always get an answer. Even when they are closed I get their answering service. These gas people have no clue what they are doing!!!

Original review: June 20, 2017

My bill during the summer is now over 20.00 dollars a month even when I don't use any gas. Then I am forced to pay almost 3 dollars to Western Union in order to pay that bill. The only product I receive from company is a pretty colored bill in the summer. I cook on the grill most of time in the summer. This country is allowing big business to bully the American People because they know a lot of us need the gas, just like the water and electric. I think VNG should be reviewed and see if they are illegally passing their expenses onto our bills. I am about to go all electric soon if they don't get their heads out of their **. But then I WILL HAVE TO PAY SOLAR TAX to the state.

Original review: March 21, 2017

I just bought a house in Hampton and before I got the keys I arranged to get all of the utilities cut on including the gas. I never received a phone call or anything about the gas for a month. So I decided to call them to let them know that I did not receive a bill. Instead of getting a thank you for informing them on their failure to communicate, I got talked to as if I'm in the wrong. The face of every company lies in the hand of its workers. I am beyond irritated!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

I bought a house in August 2016. Called November to have gas turned on, they said it was already on. The builder had it turned on when they built the house in July. No gas had been used but they post charged me all the way to July for service fees that accrued when I didn't even ask for their utility service. Tried to talk with them and work it out but they were completely uncooperative. Very disappointed that I'm getting charged for months of service when I did not even live in the house.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

Billing me for their error. I just received both a notice and my monthly bill in the mail today from Virginia Natural Gas. The first letter states, "This is to inform you that your next monthly bill will reflect a one-time charge in the total amount of $67.93. This charge is for local utility taxes not billed due to an incorrect tax code on your account." I already pay taxes on my Virginia Natural Gas bill AND I pay a utility tax every other month as well. How can this be legal?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

I have been a customer to many gas companies over the last 10 years. This company is charging the highest delivery fees in the USA. For a bill of $21, I paid $17 delivery cost. Do they send someone to my home to pump the gas into my pipeline? If you ask them why? The answer is because the weather is warm for this period. Are you punishing me for God's act? They want to take your money anyway or another. Paperless is another bad game this company played on customers, now they are charging you $2.95 fees for paying the bill??? I wish there were another company in the area and trust me no one will ever buy their service. And if you try to cut or end the service because you are moving then it will take them 2 weeks to cut the service. To summarize, I felt all things with this company as it is a legalized theft.

Original review: May 15, 2016

Virginia Natural Gas is clueless. They changed from paperless payment to online payment options which benefit the company but they don't know that it is hurting the customers. The customers now have to pay a fee just to pay their bills. It does not make any sense. The IT Specialist for Virginia Natural Gas should be fired.

Original review: April 7, 2016

I used to pay my VNG bill by mail then VNG offered oppt'y to pay online which I did, and it was free. I continued to receive a paper billing statement, however for my records. As of very recently (1 1/2 mo's ago) VNG now holds customers to pay a $ 2.95 service fee in order to pay online b/c they're now using an outside service, Western Union, to process the payments! While online about 1 - 1 1/2 mo's ago, I accidentally selected "paperless billing" before I realized I would have to pay nearly three dollars for the "privilege" of paying online. I tried and tried to undo that selection, but the web page would NOT allow the change back to paper statement.

I immediately called VNG cust service and told the rep on the phone of the error I'd made, and ALSO that the website was not working properly - would not allow me to make the change back! Cust. svc. rep told me I was scheduled to receive paper statements. All seemed ok. Well, here comes the next month (April). I have received NO bill at all. Also, they had stopped including envelopes in the statements as of several (maybe 6?) months ago. Now I have NO bill.

I emailed them about this, then they had the gall to send me an email indicating that I had "changed from paperless to paper statements," when this was already a foregone conclusion from last month!! I believe VNG is trying to force me and other customers to pay online in spite of the additional fee it will cost! And it occurs to me that now that I have NO statement, they will further try to charge me a LATE FEE b/c they have somehow screwed up! VNG doesn't seem to give a damn about me or any of their customers at all. We've been VNG customers for >20 yrs. This will not go unforgotten.

Anyone else having this problem, PLEASE contact the state's AG office and Consumer Protection agencies! Please complain. What VNG/the gas company is doing to customers w/ charging customers to pay online and limiting bill payment methods is just plain WRONG. The gas company apparently also uses these kinds of tactics in other states, as well (Ohio, for sure, according to a relative).

Original review: March 18, 2016

I am writing this review because I am very dissatisfied with the fact that I was trying to help the environment and go paperless. So I started paying my bill online from your website. Now you guys have switched to Western Union to pay our bill. They want us to pay $2.95 to use their service. I think this is very wrong. I am not happy about this at all. It really shows just how you feel about your loyal customers. If I choose to go to one of the payment centers like Farm Fresh they charge $2.50. So now I have asked to be switched back to paper so I can mail my bill in. I guess you guys don't really care about the environment either. It's not like we have a lot of other options but to use your company. If this does not change back the next house I buy will be all electric. I will never use your company again. I feel very taken advantaged of.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

I use Va. Natural Gas and have been noticing how outrageous the delivery charge is. One month my usage amount to $24 and the delivery fee was $44. I thought that was super high. I just received my new bill and the usage was $26 and the delivery fee was $65, I thought WHAT! So I called and asked them why the delivery fee was so much higher than last time and I had used almost the same amount of gas. The answer was because the weather was unusually warm for this period, they charged more for delivery fee. So they are going to get their money one way or the other, you can't win. I have tried to cut down ---on my bill by paying more than I owed each month, but no matter what, they are going to take your money. This is so unfair.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

I had an appointment for reconnection scheduled for today, from 8-12pm. My son was home waiting for the technician to arrive. There were two cars in the driveway. The technician left a note on the door stating that someone has to be home, when someone was home waiting, the door bell never rang, no one knocked on the door. What am I supposed to do? Leave the door open? This is ridiculous. I called customer service, they said they will place an order back in the system, for ALL DAY. No time that they can give. They will come up until midnight. If no one is home, then they can't come back out until Monday. This is the worst company ever. They act as if people do not work, and the calling before they arrive, they will not do. Just insane. The government really needs to do something about VA Natural Gas. Technicians that lie. The prices and deposits are insane. Government regulate, or shut down, and takeover.

Original review: July 9, 2015

I have been living in my apartment for a week. I have been trying to get Virginia natural gas to come do their job so that I can actually cook things in my apartment. This is proving impossible. Finally get an appointment for 3 days later (today) "sometime between 8 and 12". I took off work for this. Call them at 11:45 to ask why no one has come. They say that someone came at 9:30 and I wasn't home. I have been waiting since I woke up this morning at 7 and have not left so I inform her that this is impossible.

I initially told them I would have to let them into the building because of the security code, so they should call me when they arrive. Did not call, did not knock, apparently just saw the keycode and left. When speaking on the phone, they said that calling was against policy so essentially I should have waited outside my apartment building during that 4 hour period for whenever they decided to show, or asked the building manager to do that. After rescheduling for another 4 days out, receptionist asks if she should tell them to CALL on arrival because of the keycode. Are you kidding me?

Original review: June 11, 2015

Virginia Natural Gas Co. gives all public utilities a black eye. VNG originally owned by Dominion Electric Power Co. (now Dominion Resources). Circa 1990 Dominion Resources sold VNG to Consolidated Natural Gas Co., Pittsburgh, PA. Later Dominion Resources bought CNG and then sold VNG subsidiary to Atlanta Gas Light Co. (AGL Resources), Atlanta, GA. VNG classic example an absentee owner 500 distant miles away in Georgia who does not care anything whatsoever about natural gas customers in far off Virginia that VNG supposedly serves.

This is THIRD week trying to establish gas service at rental property in Virginia Beach son and I jointly own. Filipino husband and wife, nine-year tenants retired, vacated premises, permanently returned to Manila, Philippines to live their golden years. VNG Atlanta, GA call center staffed entirely by non-caring, rudest persons that are humanly imaginable. In comparison VNG Call Center makes YouTube famously documented several Comcast CSR rudeness to customers instead a game played by rankest amateurs. VNG Call Center insolent staff should be immediately fired, marched to front door, told not to let swinging door hit their rear-ends when thankfully exiting premises for last time.

VNG Call Center demanded property owners (son and myself) must pay former tenants' delinquent gas bill before new service would be established. It takes minimum 30 days - but usually much longer - for air mail from US to finally be delivered in Philippines. I seriously doubt former tenants ever received VNG final bill. I informed Call Center that prior natural gas service legally contracted between VNG and former tenants - not the property owners. Then Call Center demanded proof of rental property's ownership to ensure persons trying to establish gas service - owners - were not former tenants' family who could still be living there. The list of documents VNG Call Center demanded advanced from one to another to another but by now, hopefully you get the point. An endless succession of documents.

Latest nonsense is VNG cannot call owner, or representative, in advance on day technician they SECRETLY scheduled to establish gas service. VNG insists that owner, or representative, must physically remain onsite property between early AM to late afternoon PM to ensure someone is there during 15 minutes VNG technician actually present and turns on gas control valve and lights gas furnace and gas water heater pilot lights. Rental property is VACANT- no furniture whatsoever. I suppose for VNG convenience, what property owner must sit or lay on bare floor all day? Told them either technician calls me in advance or forget the request to establish natural gas service because instead I'll rip out natural gas major appliances and install electric appliances.

After VNG ordeal finally ends, I'm writing detailed complaint letter to Virginia Corporation Commission that regulates Virginia public utilities like this bunch of monopolistic opportunists who routinely mismanage VNG to customers continued detriment. Sign me a thoroughly disgruntled VNG customer to be.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2015

I moved into a Brenneman Farms apartment which had a gas fireplace. When it began to get cold I called to set up service which cost $30 which they billed me right away. Before I signed up I had checked their web site for rates, etc. I looked at both their fee and tariff sheets. When I rec'd my second bill I had used $5.44 worth of gas (10 ccf's) and my bill was for $33.35. When I reviewed my bill it had a delivery fee of $22.18 and utility tax for Virginia Beach of $5.52 (more than the actual gas that I used) and a .21 cents for local whatever.

I called and was informed that everyone pays this delivery fee no matter how much gas they used, in fact I asked what the fee would be if I used no gas and was told it would be slightly less. I was told that this fee is for overhead and the cost to keep the pipes working. I asked how was I to know about this fee and was told that when I signed up I could have asked what the delivery fee was going to be. Needless to say I asked to have it turned off since natural gas was not going to save me ANY money over electric. I also told Brenneman Farms office about this so they can warn the next tenant. Very disappointed in Virginia Natural Gas in Virginia Beach!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2014

I'd called Virginia Natural Gas Company today, December 12, 2014 to REQUEST turn off services Monday, December 15, 2014 due to moving. It was explained that I would be charged for service until Tuesday and I will have to pay until it is off. This is unacceptable! Why should I have to pay for a service that I'd requested to shut off and would not use? If the service cannot be turned off until Tuesday, understandable, someone is moving in on Monday and I don't want them to use gas at my expense, THEY COULD/WOULD ABUSE! Virginia Natural Gas should have a set up protection for people disconnection of service when moving. I should NOT have to pay! If service is not off until Tuesday, so be it, I am not liable to pay after Monday, the day of request regardless of who enters after that date.

I've contacted other companies today to shut off other services as well and they'd explained in a PLEASANT MANNER that even if services remain on until Tuesday, MY REQUEST on shutting down on Monday is HONORED. What's wrong with this picture of Virginia Natural Gas? It is SAD that you, Virginia Natural Gas have to STEAL TO FAKE REASONS FOR MAINTAINING? IT IS NECESSARY, NO ONE SEEMS TO CARE OF CUSTOMER'S UNLESS IT'S BENEFITING THEM, THE COMPANY OR BOTH! I will seek a LAWYER regarding this matter, I am with Legal Shield, is there a lawyer within this company who can assist me?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2014

This is my first time living in an apt that uses gas to provide heat. Upon setting up my account with Virginia Natural Gas, they did notify me of the fact that I would be charged a deposit. In no way was I made aware of how costly the deposit could come out to be. When I received my first bill I called to question why I was being charged $120 for a deposit, only to be informed that was only the first payment of a $360 deposit!

I realize this is not as high as some of the others posting one here, but still quite ridiculous. I understand that it is based on credit and past bills, but does not seem logical for 2 reasons. 1.) If I budget myself around a gas bill of $80/mo. maximum (on top of many other bills), by what standards would this be affordable for a single 24 year old? 2.) I should not suffer a high deposit for the fact that the previous tenants constantly had the heat on and did not pay their bills.

Having to pay such a high deposit forced me to have to pay my first 2 bills slightly late, further affecting my credit and costing me more money. Had I at least had some warning of the cost I could have budgeted more accordingly. If VA Natural Gas wasn't essentially a monopoly on the area I'd be more than happy to take my business elsewhere. In the meantime, can anyone suggest my options for recourse?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2013

On SSA, had a bill for 87 dollars, never got a shut off notice. Came out door, found shut off card said contact gas company. Scratched though said shut off for 87 dollars so called. They said $87 and then $150 do sit live on fixed income and a five-year-old. Mind you, right after this would be the time I just used for cooking, getting warm. Did not use gas but for cooking in summer, sometimes not at all. So said forget it for now, can not afford. I am on SSA with child. Come to figure it has cost me more through summer to cook outside and having to eat at fast food. Called few weeks ago and was told $85, new bill was almost 230 dollars. I said that with deposit. Then she put me on hold for ever, came back said no, that last bill $87 plus I would have $150 deposit.

I have had gas for 13 years, told her I had spoken with someone, wrote down my new bill which was $24. She said, just funny if you add $87 and $150, that comes up to the first amount, she said I had to pay and then checked, said I had to pay $150 deposit. Had notice turnoff for $87 on door. She said that was not true, it was more. Next last summer, I did not use, has two months they came to check on why and they did not have a problem knocking to see why, but they come to turn off and do not knock. If they had knocked, I could have paid $87. I was at home with door open. Now there is no way on SSA and child I can pay. She finally hung up after asking how could that be turned off $87, new bill $24, I was told. Anyway, do not know what to do.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2012

I asked to have my gas turned on. I do this every fall after shutting it off every spring for 10 years. They asked for my SS number, and I refused. I asked that they verify who I am some other way. The lady said I would have to fax in two forms of ID before they would turn my service on for the 11th year. I always pay my bills, by the way. They had my address in their customer records and the phone number I gave them on the call, yet she still refused to identify me with two forms of ID faxed to them. I told her I did this every year and have never been told to do that. I told her I have the customer ID for the last two years (They oddly give you a new one each time you turn it on, even for repeat customers - very odd.). I asked to speak to her supervisor, but she said she would only tell me the same thing. I again asked to be identified by what she had in her computer. Finally, she asked for the last four of my SS #. After I gave it to her, she agreed to turn on the gas. Her tone was rude, her knowledge of how to ID a repeat customer was deficient, and I felt bullied. All I wanted to do was be a customer, as I have been for 10 years. This is not the first incident I have had with this company. They have serious database issues and customer relations issues.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2011

We have a house in Williamsburg, Virginia that we moved out of in September of 2010. No one has been living in the house. The only use of the gas was for keeping the house from freezing. The heat was kept way lower than when occupied. Water usage was only when we did cleaning and upgrades as the home was going on the market compared to daily showers, clothes washing, dish washing, etc.

In December of 2010 our Gas Bill was $101.35. In 2009, when we lived there, it was $110.23. As this makes no sense, we contacted Virginia Natural Gas. My wife called, as the account was in her name from a previous marriage. She was given the old run around with no answers. When the woman she was talking to refused to offer any plausible explanation, my wife asked to talk to a supervisor. Request Denied!

Infuriated, my wife told her to turn off our service (We had received a cut-off notice due to our not figuring we would have such a bill). A week or so later, I had an opportunity to try to resolve the situation. I have never in my life met such a self-righteous human being, a person with such a God complex. This woman, flat out refused to let me talk to anyone but her!

Here is another little tidbit, she did not cut our service off when we first asked. She made sure we got another month’s charges on our account! Surely there is someone we can talk to that can help us with this account. If I lived in Georgia, I would go to their offices myself and sit there until someone, anyone but this extremely arrogant woman!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2011

I have been without water for 2 weeks now! I have missed 2 new service appointments, due to the fact that I have to work. I specifically left notes in the account for the technician to come between the hours 4-6pm. What do they do? They come before 4pm, in which I'm not home yet! I freaking told these people that I would not be home before 4:00pm. I have been without hot for 2 weeks now. I'm past frustrated. I will be calling whomever I need to call because this is ridiculous. There are people who actually work for a living, and can't be home. The window they gave is from 8am-6pm. So, the person I just spoke with said that the window was from 10am-4pm. **!

Original review: April 25, 2010

I called Virginia Natural Gas to have service turned on and found out that I had an enormous (to me) past due balance in which they wanted me to pay up front and also an additional deposit. I told them there was no way I could come up with all that money at once and asked them if I could make payments. They said no, so I said the only thing I could do was to file bankruptcy.

They turned on my gas and 2 months later, I received a shut off notice for the unpaid high old balance. I called them and spoke with a supervisor and told her that I really did not want to file bankruptcy that I wanted to do the right thing and pay off my bill, so the representative put me on a payment plan paying $100.00 a week (every Friday). After 3 weeks or so, my payday changed and I told them that I would have to pay every other week from now on. I was told okay.

So, that Monday I came home from work to find my gas shut off which leaves us no hot water, no heat, no drying our clothes, nothing. Tuesday, I called Virginia Natural Gas and talked to Ms. Sheila in the Escalation Team Department who was very nice. She put me on hold a couple times and came back saying that I could be put back on the payment plan and my payments would be every other week beginning May 7, 2010.

I was very happy about that but she also said that I just needed to go pay $200.00 and call back with the receipt number and my gas would be turned back on. So I scrounged up $200.00 that I didn't have and went to Farm Fresh and paid it, came home, called in with the receipt and was told that Ms. Sheila didn't have the authority to do what she did and that I either had to pay off the entire balance plus a new bill or file bankruptcy.

I was very upset and called back the next day to speak again with Ms. Sheila who was very apologetic and felt bad but said her supervisor told her that because of the amount of my balance I was not allowed to be put back on payments, yet they put me on payments before for close to the same amount. I have three children and I was paying them every week like promised but now there telling me that they would rather have me file bankruptcy than make payments and believe me paying an extra $100.00 a week is a lot of money to me. I would like to know if they can just cut people's gas (especially families with children)when I was making the payments.

Well, I have 3 beautiful children who have to go elsewhere to take showers because an ice cold shower or bath is hard to do especially for my 6 year old little girl. We have no heat, luckily it's not that cold our dryer doesn't work, so I'm spending money that I dont have at laundromats and with three children laundry piles up.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2010

I moved into a rental home that unfortunately used gas for heat. I called up Virginia Natural Gas to get it turned on. After 20 minutes of listening to my rights, she told me I owe them a $700 deposit just to turn it on because of my credit. My mouth dropped, and I voiced how ridiculous $700 is when the electric company only asks for $180. She told me that I would be able to call up after 6 months of perfect payments to get my deposit credited to my account.

I am on a tight budget and an extra $235 a month for the first 3 months was outrageous, when I don't even use more then $120 a month during the winter. So I called them on February 1 to get my deposit credited back to my account, and I get told I have to wait until August because it's 12 months of perfect payments instead of 6.

I asked why the woman lied to me and that I agreed to 6 months not 12 when I signed up, and they told me I misunderstood her and that it was my fault and never that the woman misspoke. Then I was told that the reason why it was $700 was because it was based on the usage of the previous owners. The previous owner was an elderly lady, and she kept it at 85 degrees. At most, I will be spending $500 over a 12-month period. They said they only based it off the winter months, so $300 is what I will be spending during the winter months.

She told me they sent me out a letter about all of this on May 13. We didn't move in or have it turned on until May 31. So of course, we did not get the letter. I busted my butt to pay every month on time, if not early, just so I could get my money back in those 6 months. And now, they deny me, not because I was late, but because the woman lied to me during sign up just to get me off the phone.

I am overly strapped for cash now, because I should have been able to spend more during the winter in heat, because I would be getting my $700 credited back. I guess it's Ramen and tuna fish for the next 6 months. I feel like my money is being held hostage because of the bad economy.

Virginia Natural Gas Company Information