United Propane

Frederick, MD

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased a house from original owner on LP gas in 2012. Tank was customer owned. For 2-1/2 years S.J. Johnson provided service. Last month Bowen/Suburban/United came and topped off tank WITHOUT REQUEST. They now claim (without documentation) that they own the tank. They acknowledge that there is no record of any lease payments being received since the house was built in 1997. Told them to come and get the tank and I will continue service with S.J. Johnson.

Been ordering gas from UPG for over 20 years. Now they want put gas in even if I am out. They want more people and sold tanks to them, over sold. Now they cannot keep up... not good.

I have been a customer of United Propane since March 2009. As you know, we have been in a recession but I've always tried to maintain my account with the propane provider. My family uses propane for heating, cooking and hot water. We ran out of propane on Christmas Eve and I contacted the St. Leonard location of United Propane as our heating was shot and the temp outside was in the 27 degree range. Mind you, I am a single mom with three small children ages 15, 9 and 8 months old.

I contacted the emergency number at least 20 times this weekend as my home was freezing. Every time my call was dispatched, I received a phone call from Barry *** whom initially told me because there was nothing that he could do because we were a "Will Call" customer. We would have to get in contact with our main office which is LaPlata, which I was finally able to contact them first thing this morning.

He also stated that the rules according to needing emergency propane would mean that I would have to call 7-10 days before I could get service. Again, I've been a customer since 03/2009 and I've never heard of such non sense. Nevertheless, I again contacted the emergency service yesterday and I again received a call from Mr. *** who stated that he would get in contact with his manager (David ***) to arrange to get us some propane because of the harsh conditions outside.

Never received another call from him until today, which of course was prompted by me contacting the LaPlata dispatch 5 times. The call of course was again dispatched to Barry *** and I reiterated all of the items that we spoke about and he stated that his hands were tied. I asked him if he spoke to his manager/supervisor who gave him the direction to disregard our emergency situation and he stated that he spoke to David *** but not in reference to our heating needs. I asked him why knowing that it was a dire situation he stated because according to him it was not a pressing matter.

Me and my three children are sleeping in my vehicle tonight because Mr. *** refused to provide decent customer service to at least convey the information to his so called supervisor. I've never had any problems/issues with United Propane up to this point. This could have been a matter of life and death especially with my 8 month old baby which I stressed to him a few times over. What is the point of having an emergency service line when in a state of emergency I cannot obtain services?

I was a residential customer of United Propane for over 15 years. Suddenly, I received a notice of tank rental fee and inquired with the Millersville office. They explained a new policy was in effect and that there would be a charge. I notified them that this was not in my contract and that I was terminating and they would need to pick up their tank. I obtained another supplier and new supplier unhooked and placed United's tank for pickup.

A month later, United picked up the tank and I got this unreasonable bill. The tank rental charge was removed and a $275 tank removal fee was tacked on and a termination fee of $125. Nothing in the old contract mentioned these fees. United responded that they had change the terms last summer and that a mailing had taken place. It was strange that I didn't receive the mailing. This is illegal.

I signed no consent and I intend to fight this. My current supplier charges $75 and United is a rip-off! Many homeowners use United and don't realize how dishonest United's business practices are until they get a new supplier. United customer beware!

United Propane has been charging me over $6.50 a gallon because "I don't use enough". I have heard in the past that there is no regulation on this product. I still have a hard time accepting these prices. I have rented their tank for the entire period of use (monthly fee). I called them to cancel their service. They informed me there would be a $175.00 pick up fee, plus they want $0.75 a gallon to pump out the remaining propane. I do not recall signing a contract with this company. Does this seem to be a fair way to run a business? Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Propane?

United Propane Company Profile