1.16/5

Need a utility company?

Atlanta, GA

Need a utility company?

58 SCANA Energy Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 15, 2019

The debit card payment option on the SCANA web site is broken. It has been broken for several weeks. I kept coming back to the site, and it was consistently broken. I emailed SCANA 11 days ago regarding their broken payment options page (no response.) -- Portion of email to SCANA -- "I'm trying to pay my bill with my debit card, but I get this error from Bill Matrix: "Invalid Data Received". That's before it even gets to a page where it would ask for my Visa number.

I have been unable to make a payment and two weeks later, without any communication from SCANA, they disconnected service. After spending over an hour on the phone, the Scana representative tells me that they heaped on over $200 of additional fees. WHAT A SCAM! When SCANA screws you over, I recommend checking out the SCANA REGULATED division. Apparently, there are no ethics rules in place for the deregulated division of SCANA. Avoid the deregulated division of SCANA if at all possible.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

We have just moved country. I made sure to set up an account from before the start of the month we were due to move in (despite the fact we weren't moving in until the 20th). I did that, paid my deposit and we moved in and everything was fine for a month. We got home today to find there was no gas. They had disconnected us with no warning (despite having all our contact details) because apparently I needed to call them back to verify they had got the payment that they successfully took from me to start the service. We have a 3 year old in the house and they can't/won't reconnect it for 3 days. Outraged.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Bad experience with SCANA. This is the first my service have been disconnected. I made a payment while the technician was sitting in front of my door, yet he still turned off my service for no payment. I feel like he could have waited until my payment went thru before he disconnected my service. Today is Tuesday, I have to wait until Friday to get my service reconnected. I am an unhappy customer. Customer service was great, but it didn't help solve my problem.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been with Scana about 15 years. I forgot to pay my bill on the due date. I was two days late and Scana disconnected my service. I paid the bill in full. Now SCANA want me to pay a 150.00 dollar deposit plus a 70.00 reconnection fee. I think that this is outrageous. The customer service rep acted like he did not care. I am going to switch to another gas provider after I pay these charges. Also I asked the customer service rep how many months I had on my service contract. He said 6 more months. I asked him how I could void the contract and he said I would have to pay another 150.00 dollars. This gas provider is nothing but a ripoff company. Do not do any business with them or you will get scammed.

Original review: March 16, 2018

After having service with SCANA for over 12 years they cut my gas in error and REFUSED to reconnect it unless I paid them $150 deposit! I have NEVER been late nor have I EVER been disconnected before! Kia (a supposed manager) refused to retract the disconnect... She refused to reconnect without assessing the fee... She did not help me at all. After 12 years of having continuous service I can not believe they would not correct THEIR error. I was forced to sign up with a new gas provider and I have to wait until Monday evening to be connected (today is Friday). The only blessing to come out of this is that Gas South has a therm rate $0.20 less than what I was paying, they required no deposit and they ran a soft credit check which means it won't affect my score! I wish I could have given SCANA a 0.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SCANA Energy?

Original review: March 6, 2018

I have been a customer for this company for over 2 years with several problems. First off they charge a pass through amount every bill. This in itself is insane and this charge is twice the amount of my regular monthly bill of my previous home still here in Atlanta (Lawrenceville). Second they raise their rate at winter in order to force people into their scam "variable rate". I have kept my heater (main use for gas) off for weeks, and even though I had them change my per their rate. I still see that they show on billing that my consumption has gone up. How is that even possible. That's ok because I am tech and I have plenty of ways of proving their lies.

When I have enough I will be taking the proof to the public. I am also noting everything down for several different politicians and organizations. This company has shown time again that they are not to be trusted. When enough evidence comes out then they will realize that screwing your customers just gets your company shut down for good. I think an internal investigation needs to be made on their billing issues. No one in Atlanta trusts this company anymore and there are thousands of issues like my own. There is even a group on Facebook just for people that have had these problems.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My 84 year old sister with early Alzheimer's forgets a lot and forgot to pay her Scana gas bill in 30-something degree weather. They turned it off, not during the daytime when something could be done about it, but at night when Scana closes down. When she called them early the next morning, they put her off two days even though they had their money in hand by then. I will make certain that she immediately changes gas providers.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Do not I repeat do not do business with this company. I had service with them for one month. Decided I did not like the service so I went with another gas company after paying a final bill. Scana Energy put the same bill that I paid on my credit report. I have disputed several times and it comes back as verified with no proof of anything. And they will not mail me the information they verified. They also report this false information to the credit bureau every month causing my credit score to drop. They are horrible run. And they are finally dropping off my credit report in 2 weeks. Take that criminals.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My gas got cut off for a $60 bill. No rears just a $60 bill. They didn't even have the decency to leave a shut off notice. It was 2 days late. Again they left no shutoff notice! After paying the bill they still charged me a $150 deposit which I don't get back until demonstrating 6 months of on time payments and a $60 reconnect fee. That's a total of $210. These people are heartless and selfish. All of this over a $60 bill???!!! The person I talked to sounded like a mindless drone who could care less. After all it's company policy. If you can stay as far away from this company as possible. This is what gives companies a bad name and why I hate monopolistic situations that offer consumers very few choices! Stay very far away from these cutthroats!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I sold a house in Atlanta earlier this year. Because of international travel difficulties for the buyer, the closing was delayed a day to a Saturday. I was asked to see if there was a way to keep the gas turned on so that it would be available for the closing walk through. The period of time would have been from Friday until Monday. I had no idea who the tenant who had been living there was or who she has gas service with. I contacted SCANA to see if I could set up an account for just 4 days. I was told that I could but that I would likely have to pay a monthly base rate. The salesperson took all my information and was going to call me back. She never called back, so I assumed that no account was established. I am nearly deaf so these sorts of transactions are difficult for me. Only later did I find out that SCANA is accomplished at scamming the elderly as other complaints attest.

Then the bills started arriving. I informed that the owner of the home had gas service with another company and that I did not owe anything. They informed me that it made no difference and that I would have to pay. They were rude and threatening and to put the least negative energy into it, I decided to pay the one and ask for them to check with the owner, determine the company being paid for the gas and refund me the payment. They did not acknowledge the letter and continued to send monthly bills.

I tried on several occasions to get this stopped and was refused because they contended that I was not the homeowner. Then the telephone calls started. I have received over 1,000 phone calls on my handicapped phone demanding payment. They do not have a TTY service, so I cannot even answer the phone calls. These people apparently have a penchant for preying on the elderly and causing trouble, making threatening statements, and disregarding the fact that charging me for a regulated commodity that is being paid for to another company is fraud.

SCANA Energy Company Information