1.18/5
  • 1 star
Based on 49 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 28, 2017

52 SCANA Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My 84 year old sister with early Alzheimer's forgets a lot and forgot to pay her Scana gas bill in 30-something degree weather. They turned it off, not during the daytime when something could be done about it, but at night when Scana closes down. When she called them early the next morning, they put her off two days even though they had their money in hand by then. I will make certain that she immediately changes gas providers.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Do not I repeat do not do business with this company. I had service with them for one month. Decided I did not like the service so I went with another gas company after paying a final bill. Scana Energy put the same bill that I paid on my credit report. I have disputed several times and it comes back as verified with no proof of anything. And they will not mail me the information they verified. They also report this false information to the credit bureau every month causing my credit score to drop. They are horrible run. And they are finally dropping off my credit report in 2 weeks. Take that criminals.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My gas got cut off for a $60 bill. No rears just a $60 bill. They didn't even have the decency to leave a shut off notice. It was 2 days late. Again they left no shutoff notice! After paying the bill they still charged me a $150 deposit which I don't get back until demonstrating 6 months of on time payments and a $60 reconnect fee. That's a total of $210. These people are heartless and selfish. All of this over a $60 bill???!!! The person I talked to sounded like a mindless drone who could care less. After all it's company policy. If you can stay as far away from this company as possible. This is what gives companies a bad name and why I hate monopolistic situations that offer consumers very few choices! Stay very far away from these cutthroats!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I sold a house in Atlanta earlier this year. Because of international travel difficulties for the buyer, the closing was delayed a day to a Saturday. I was asked to see if there was a way to keep the gas turned on so that it would be available for the closing walk through. The period of time would have been from Friday until Monday. I had no idea who the tenant who had been living there was or who she has gas service with. I contacted SCANA to see if I could set up an account for just 4 days. I was told that I could but that I would likely have to pay a monthly base rate. The salesperson took all my information and was going to call me back. She never called back, so I assumed that no account was established. I am nearly deaf so these sorts of transactions are difficult for me. Only later did I find out that SCANA is accomplished at scamming the elderly as other complaints attest.

Then the bills started arriving. I informed that the owner of the home had gas service with another company and that I did not owe anything. They informed me that it made no difference and that I would have to pay. They were rude and threatening and to put the least negative energy into it, I decided to pay the one and ask for them to check with the owner, determine the company being paid for the gas and refund me the payment. They did not acknowledge the letter and continued to send monthly bills.

I tried on several occasions to get this stopped and was refused because they contended that I was not the homeowner. Then the telephone calls started. I have received over 1,000 phone calls on my handicapped phone demanding payment. They do not have a TTY service, so I cannot even answer the phone calls. These people apparently have a penchant for preying on the elderly and causing trouble, making threatening statements, and disregarding the fact that charging me for a regulated commodity that is being paid for to another company is fraud.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I am so disgusted with Scana Energy!!! My mother whom is a Senior Citizen and on a fixed income tried to make payment arrangement to pay her gas bill and was sent a confirmation that she would be allowed more time to pay her bill. A couple days after she made the arrangement her service was turned off. She have been a loyal customer for years!!! Not only do she have to come up with another deposit she also have to pay a $75.00 reconnect fee. Scana is really ripping people off with their payment arrangement system.

When I called Scana Energy to see why my Mom service was turned off after she made payment arrangement I was told that she didn't have payment arrangements that she had only scheduled a payment. Now what kind of ** is that. Scana knows damn well that if you see a drop down that allow you to move your payment date that this is also known as a payment arrangement. This company is a total rip off and need to stop preying on the elderly with this BS having them to pay the bill after trying to make arrangements, another deposit, and then on top of that a reconnect fee. This is totally unacceptable and I will definitely be changing her service provider ASAP!!! Shame On You Scana!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SCANA Energy?

Original review: May 17, 2017

I was out of the country attending a funeral for the past 4 weeks. Came back to find my service was disconnected. I made my payment online as was directed to call customer service to reconnect my service back on. I was told that I have to pay $75 to reconnect it back which I was ok with doing but today is Wednesday and I will not be able to get it turned back on until Monday 5/22. People on the phone are very rude and provide the most horrible customer service. I've have had other provider in the past and because if me having to constantly traveling to work I did missed 2 payment but I also was able to turn my service back on within 24 hours.

This company sucks and I will definitely be using them back as my carrier. I WILL TERMINATE ANY AND ALL CONTRACTS I HAVE WITH THEM AND GO WITH THEIR COMPETITORS. I am paying for a service which I have to wait a week for to use. Absolutely insane and unacceptable. Customer are the ones that keep these companies in business and you would think that they would go above and beyond to make customer happy but it is the other way around.

I will be calling my county representative with this issue and have a petition started for SCANA. I don't need to wait a week for a service I am paying for. I will not tolerate it. If you are a new customer with young children, please do not choose SCANA as your gas provider. I have 20 family members with SCANA and I will advise them to terminate SCANA as a provider. This service is crap.

Original review: May 13, 2017

One day late not thirty. No call or email or warning, service was cut off. Friday late in the day so there was no service over the weekend. Household is in disarray when we found out my wife has cancer. Came home from chemo with no service and no one to call. Worst company ever dealt with. Bunch of monkeys working in the corporate office.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I had a payment arrangement set up. And they still disconnected my service!! Lack of communication was the cause of it! Then I see the guy in the truck ready to cut my gas off, and try to show him the confirmation he pulls off!!! So I called Scana only to get just an apology!!! I have a baby and we are going to freeze! I paid the bill and they talking about 5 days to reconnect! If you got my money now! I want my service now!!! Crooks!!! They should change their name to Scama!!!

Original review: April 1, 2016

I have been a Scana customer for years. The one time out of my whole 8 years that my bill was late they disconnected my service. I was only 22 days with my bill. I am on the road a lot and worked a lot of hours this past month. I have to wait a couple of days to get service restored; paying the $75 reconnect fee. I do not have patience with companies like this. They need to rethink their strategy. After reading all of these reviews, it sounds like Scana sucks. I guess I am a sucker for being a loyal customer. Now it is time to switch. My recommendation for anyone interested is to pass on Scana Energy.

Original review: March 22, 2016

Had good experience with SCANA 'Regulated' when making payment arrangements. I do get reminders in my email to pay. However, a few times I just plain forgot and service was disconnected. I had to pay bill plus deposit, then wait a week to be scheduled in for service restoration! Seems a bit evil. Suggest they add more features for the customer on their website to allow text alerts and emails right before a cut-off, since this is such an important service for our families to have. Good people are being penalized harshly for innocent mistakes with SCANA. Having service turned off for forgetting to pay bill is understandable, however, making people wait weeks for restoration is unconscionable.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2016

My bill were cut off over 76.00. First time. I am a busy mom. Forgot, working and taking care sick kid. Now made to pay a deposit 150.00 cut back on. Can't believe this company.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

Stay away from this company! They are great when they want you to be a new customer but once you cancel your energy/gas, they charge way much more than your monthly bill!!! They won't cancel your service on time then send you a bill stating that you are charged for 3 months that you're not even in that address anymore!!! Customer service sucks! They won't tell that you have additional fee after you cancel it on the phone. They will surprise you in a mail with $$$ amount!!! SCAMa!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

Long story short, don't ever do business with them at all! I set up to pay my bill at a later date due to some financial hardships. I made the arrangement prior to my due date to ensure my service would not be interrupted. I come home to find my gas off, in December, with two small children. I call customer service and they are very rude and disrespectful. They refuse to acknowledge that I set up an arrangement, and refuse to have someone come out to my home to turn my gas back on until I pay $200! I am truly disgusted and I feel that everyone should know to stay away from this company!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

I disconnected my services on Nov. 20th. My bill has never been over $25 in the last 5 yrs since I only had a gas stove. I received my last bill and it had doubled. I called SCANA and they explained a GA company bills them on the 20th of each month, and since I still had service I got charged remaining of Nov. and all of December for services I'm not using. And supposedly there is no way for them to refund me. How come SCANA customer service didn't inform me of this when I put the order in to be disconnected, as I would've disconnected on the 19th? I spoke with the mgr and she was a fluke. She gave me the number for the company that charged them. But they don't take calls from customers, only vendors, and they knew that. So dissatisfied and disgusted. Will be calling again.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

I am not pleased with this company. I was due a refund from a transaction that took place on October 19. I was told it takes 7-10 business days. I called back on Nov 5 to check of the refund and was told the check will be issued Nov 6 and it will take 12 day for me to receive. I will never use them again.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

Satisfied customer for almost 5 years. Bought a new house so called Scana Energy to let them know we were moving out on 9/21 and to have service taken out of my name. I kept getting bills from after the date I left. When I called to complain I was told they didn't have any record of me calling. I know I called but didn't write down date/time/and name of agent. Shame on me!!! Beware!! Sounds like they do this a lot!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

I'm a fairly new SCANA customer, I'm just 3 months in (I was total electric before I moved to this address, they provide gas at my current address), and I've always made payments on time. For the payment due in early September, the payment was made via electronic bank draft (like my previous payments) in late August after I received the bill. I received an e-mail saying the payment was successful from SCANA, and I didn't think any more about it till I received the bill this month that showed a $71 charge online that wasn't explained.

I had to call and spoke with customer care who said my electronic payment was unsuccessful, but she couldn't tell me why. I asked why I received an e-mail saying the payment was successful and she told me they send those out every time you try to make a payment online. She told me if I could get the bank to write something on letterhead saying it was their fault, they would return the "returned check" charge they were charging me. To be clear, there was always money available in my checking, they are saying the bank didn't recognize my account info, and I probably entered the info wrong.

I asked her what to do if it was SCANA's error and not the bank and she stated that SCANA doesn't make errors. She gave me the fax number for a letter from the bank to have the charge removed, didn't mention my service would be disconnected, etc. Today, the day after I spoke with her, I received a call from collections where Sondra, who refused to provide any type of employee ID or extension, basically called and tried to bully me into making a payment to her over the phone or service may be disconnected. I told her I would pay online as I don't give info over the phone, etc., and she began asking questions about how to contact my employer.

I asked for her manager unless she could provide me with an employee ID or extension and she transferred me to customer care. Customer Care stated they would have to transfer me directly back to collections. All I wanted to know was why I would receive an e-mail saying my payment was successful, and then NEVER receive any indication that it wasn't in actuality successful until they are threatening to disconnect it - I'm not a deadbeat customer, I just thought my bill had been paid and still don't understand what the problem was with the electronic bank draft.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2015

I have been a SCANA customer since June of 2002 - more than 13 years. My gas was turned off without notification or phone call. My last full payment was received and confirmed in July and my next payment is due 8/25. Today is 8/21. I was informed that I had to pay $75 reconnect and provide $150 security deposit despite my excellent payment history. When attempting to seek a different marketer, I was informed that I couldn't change until 10/2015 because I missed the cut off date for the month. This forced me to continue service with SCANA for now. After this experience and being gouged for an additional $225 ($75 reconnect and $150 security deposit) I would discourage anyone from using this company and I will be making a change as soon as possible!

Original review: July 2, 2015

This is the second time in 3 months Scana has turn my gas off without notification, no email or mailed letter for a current charge thus the first time charging me a reconnect fee plus a 150 dollar deposit. I'm current and schedule a payment after the meter reading 07/01/2015 for 52.94 to be paid in full 07/02/2015. However if I had receive a notice that it was going to be disconnected I would have called a set up arrangement.

Original review: April 16, 2015

Scana Energy Charged a RECONNECT FEE after PAID more than 460.00 some three weeks earlier! This company is STILL in the Stone Age with their customer NO Service and BILLING Practices!

Original review: April 6, 2015

I received a letter in the mail stating I will have to renew my rate by 4/6/2015 in order to not be on their variable rate. I called and was offered a .75 per therm rate. I was told this rate would be good only until August 2015 because they will have to renew their contract with Atlanta Gas & Light and my rate may go up or down. How can they offer a 12 month contract but it's really only good for 4 months? How ridiculous!!! I asked if I can do a 6 month contract as it's stated on the letter I received offering a 6 month lock in for .77 per therm.

They refused to give me a 6 month contract but can offer a 12 month contract that's only good for 4 months. This doesn't make any sense!!! Scana regulated needs to be shut down for cheating residents out of their money. I'm hoping there's a company that can fine this company for offering contracts that can't keep. What is the purpose of a contract if they can't honor the contract? Sounds like they need to pay me for such foolishness!

Original review: March 26, 2015

Scana was shut off due to payment past due date. After being told we would also have to pay a deposit of 150.00 on top of our 130.00 bill. We had already paid a deposit somehow that deposit was gone/used up??!! So we paid the amount 331.00. Then to be told on a Thursday that they will turn it back on Tuesday. Five days can't cook or take a shower. Ludicrous!!!!

Original review: March 24, 2015

Like the other reviews, I never received a notice about a disconnection and my services were cut off. After paying, I was told about the enormous reconnection fees. I called another provider and SCANA charges a $150 exit fee. Being on the fixed rate did not save me enough money to justify a $150 exit fee. Consumers in the Georgia area should go with GA Natural Gas. First, their fees are prorated, and they do not charge those type of disconnect fees.

Original review: March 15, 2015

We usually stay a month behind on our utility bills, but we pay them. We lost 2k a month income last year and have been unable to catch up, but we always make sure the past due amount is paid before it is 30 days out. The last time we paid scana was February 16 and we paid the past due amount plus a few dollars like always. We get paid on the 15th and the last day of the month or if those days fall on a weekend, payday is the weekday before the date, so we were due to be paid 3/13.

On 3/12 we came home to our gas being cut off. It hasn't been 30 days since the last payment or even 4 weeks, but only 24 days. We would have never expected this. It appears they watched our payment pattern and chose a date to send Atlanta gas light out that was before they knew from the past that we were going to pay them. They call each month to give a warning and we didn't receive a call this month. When they call to give a warning, they could just as easily call to say pay now or we'll send Atlanta gas light to cut your service.... people would pay at that time just like they do for the water and electric companies. The water and electric companies will restore service the same day when a payment is made, but Atlanta gas light takes 3 to 5 business days after payment to restore service, which is ridiculous in itself. They set things up to create the biggest inconvenience possible for their customers.

People should be able to get their service restored the same day when they make a payment and the gas company shouldn't be able to watch patterns and choose a date for cutoff days before you consistently make a payment. We aren't insubordinate children who need to be punished by not having heat or hot water and being charged a fee by Atlanta gas light, but people struggling to keep up with our bills. Now we can either wait until late next week to have our service restored or we can break the lock and risk a fine or having our gas service terminated forever.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2014

We have been SCANA customers for 10+ years and had never made a late payment. Last month my husband forgot to pay our bill and our service was cut off with no warning - no letter, email, phone call - nothing at all. We immediately went online and paid what we owed electronically. I called the next day to see when our service would be restored and was told that I could "make an appointment" to have my service turned on after I paid a $225 reconnection fee. Needless to say we are not going to use SCANA again - ever!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

I have considered hiring an attorney. This company is completely out of bounds. The sixty dollar connection fee is outrageous on its own. Get this... I had gas service cut on and was paying my bill to the account provided for me when I connected. They were still putting that money in my landlord's account without giving me credit at my service address. The landlord's account was closed when I connected about 45 days ago. They were accepting $$ into a closed account with no notification. Lo and behold, my gas was cut off. One letter was sent out but I was paying the bill and it was getting cashed so I didn't think much of it. They charged me the reconnection fee of $225 - 45 days into my new service because they have no oversight in their billing department. What choice do you have but to pay the fee? Unbelievable. I have moved all over this country and had many utilities come and go in my life but this is my WORST experience ever with an energy company. Even Time Warner does not stoop this low. DO NOT USE SCANA ENERGY! FIND SOMETHING ELSE!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

They charged me 60$ connection fee and it is written in terms and conditions that 25$ is AGLC pass through charge. True natural gas doesn't charge any connection fee like this. I got AGLC charges separately in the bill and 60$ extra connection fee in the bill. They were not ready to listen. Stuck in a contract for 1 year now. But will definitely switch after that.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2014

The people that work for Scana Regulated in the call Center have no knowledge of what the hell is going on with paying customers' accounts and the customer service is utterly terrible. They tell you one thing but when you get a bill in the mail and do everything you supposed to get out of the dreadful Scana regulated, they jerk you around. Scana needs to do a complete wipe out of their company and hire people that appreciate getting a paycheck. Scana YOU SUCK!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2014

Just had my gas turned off for late payment of one day. I immediately paid the bill online and called the "customer service" #. I was told I would have to pay $150 and $75 reconnect fee, was not happy at all but had to pay. I was then told it would be a week before the gas would be turned back on. I ask why do I have to pay such high reconnect fees and it takes a week to have turned back on? What is my fee paying for? I cannot believe they do not have enough technicians to turn your gas on within a few hours or at least one day! Worst customer service ever! Will try to find new service right away!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

Scana "mistakenly" disconnected my gas for 2 months and then sent me a bill with 2 months of service charges.. Thanks. Great company.

SCANA Energy Company Information