SCANA Energy

Atlanta, GA

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been a Scana customer for years. The one time out of my whole 8 years that my bill was late they disconnected my service. I was only 22 days with my bill. I am on the road a lot and worked a lot of hours this past month. I have to wait a couple of days to get service restored; paying the $75 reconnect fee. I do not have patience with companies like this. They need to rethink their strategy. After reading all of these reviews, it sounds like Scana sucks. I guess I am a sucker for being a loyal customer. Now it is time to switch. My recommendation for anyone interested is to pass on Scana Energy.

Had good experience with SCANA 'Regulated' when making payment arrangements. I do get reminders in my email to pay. However, a few times I just plain forgot and service was disconnected. I had to pay bill plus deposit, then wait a week to be scheduled in for service restoration! Seems a bit evil. Suggest they add more features for the customer on their website to allow text alerts and emails right before a cut-off, since this is such an important service for our families to have. Good people are being penalized harshly for innocent mistakes with SCANA. Having service turned off for forgetting to pay bill is understandable, however, making people wait weeks for restoration is unconscionable.

My bill were cut off over 76.00. First time. I am a busy mom. Forgot, working and taking care sick kid. Now made to pay a deposit 150.00 cut back on. Can't believe this company.

Stay away from this company! They are great when they want you to be a new customer but once you cancel your energy/gas, they charge way much more than your monthly bill!!! They won't cancel your service on time then send you a bill stating that you are charged for 3 months that you're not even in that address anymore!!! Customer service sucks! They won't tell that you have additional fee after you cancel it on the phone. They will surprise you in a mail with $$$ amount!!! SCAMa!!!

Long story short, don't ever do business with them at all! I set up to pay my bill at a later date due to some financial hardships. I made the arrangement prior to my due date to ensure my service would not be interrupted. I come home to find my gas off, in December, with two small children. I call customer service and they are very rude and disrespectful. They refuse to acknowledge that I set up an arrangement, and refuse to have someone come out to my home to turn my gas back on until I pay $200! I am truly disgusted and I feel that everyone should know to stay away from this company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SCANA Energy?

I disconnected my services on Nov. 20th. My bill has never been over $25 in the last 5 yrs since I only had a gas stove. I received my last bill and it had doubled. I called SCANA and they explained a GA company bills them on the 20th of each month, and since I still had service I got charged remaining of Nov. and all of December for services I'm not using. And supposedly there is no way for them to refund me. How come SCANA customer service didn't inform me of this when I put the order in to be disconnected, as I would've disconnected on the 19th? I spoke with the mgr and she was a fluke. She gave me the number for the company that charged them. But they don't take calls from customers, only vendors, and they knew that. So dissatisfied and disgusted. Will be calling again.

I am not pleased with this company. I was due a refund from a transaction that took place on October 19. I was told it takes 7-10 business days. I called back on Nov 5 to check of the refund and was told the check will be issued Nov 6 and it will take 12 day for me to receive. I will never use them again.

Satisfied customer for almost 5 years. Bought a new house so called Scana Energy to let them know we were moving out on 9/21 and to have service taken out of my name. I kept getting bills from after the date I left. When I called to complain I was told they didn't have any record of me calling. I know I called but didn't write down date/time/and name of agent. Shame on me!!! Beware!! Sounds like they do this a lot!!

I'm a fairly new SCANA customer, I'm just 3 months in (I was total electric before I moved to this address, they provide gas at my current address), and I've always made payments on time. For the payment due in early September, the payment was made via electronic bank draft (like my previous payments) in late August after I received the bill. I received an e-mail saying the payment was successful from SCANA, and I didn't think any more about it till I received the bill this month that showed a $71 charge online that wasn't explained.

I had to call and spoke with customer care who said my electronic payment was unsuccessful, but she couldn't tell me why. I asked why I received an e-mail saying the payment was successful and she told me they send those out every time you try to make a payment online. She told me if I could get the bank to write something on letterhead saying it was their fault, they would return the "returned check" charge they were charging me. To be clear, there was always money available in my checking, they are saying the bank didn't recognize my account info, and I probably entered the info wrong.

I asked her what to do if it was SCANA's error and not the bank and she stated that SCANA doesn't make errors. She gave me the fax number for a letter from the bank to have the charge removed, didn't mention my service would be disconnected, etc. Today, the day after I spoke with her, I received a call from collections where Sondra, who refused to provide any type of employee ID or extension, basically called and tried to bully me into making a payment to her over the phone or service may be disconnected. I told her I would pay online as I don't give info over the phone, etc., and she began asking questions about how to contact my employer.

I asked for her manager unless she could provide me with an employee ID or extension and she transferred me to customer care. Customer Care stated they would have to transfer me directly back to collections. All I wanted to know was why I would receive an e-mail saying my payment was successful, and then NEVER receive any indication that it wasn't in actuality successful until they are threatening to disconnect it - I'm not a deadbeat customer, I just thought my bill had been paid and still don't understand what the problem was with the electronic bank draft.

I have been a SCANA customer since June of 2002 - more than 13 years. My gas was turned off without notification or phone call. My last full payment was received and confirmed in July and my next payment is due 8/25. Today is 8/21. I was informed that I had to pay $75 reconnect and provide $150 security deposit despite my excellent payment history. When attempting to seek a different marketer, I was informed that I couldn't change until 10/2015 because I missed the cut off date for the month. This forced me to continue service with SCANA for now. After this experience and being gouged for an additional $225 ($75 reconnect and $150 security deposit) I would discourage anyone from using this company and I will be making a change as soon as possible!

This is the second time in 3 months Scana has turn my gas off without notification, no email or mailed letter for a current charge thus the first time charging me a reconnect fee plus a 150 dollar deposit. I'm current and schedule a payment after the meter reading 07/01/2015 for 52.94 to be paid in full 07/02/2015. However if I had receive a notice that it was going to be disconnected I would have called a set up arrangement.

Scana Energy Charged a RECONNECT FEE after PAID more than 460.00 some three weeks earlier! This company is STILL in the Stone Age with their customer NO Service and BILLING Practices!

I received a letter in the mail stating I will have to renew my rate by 4/6/2015 in order to not be on their variable rate. I called and was offered a .75 per therm rate. I was told this rate would be good only until August 2015 because they will have to renew their contract with Atlanta Gas & Light and my rate may go up or down. How can they offer a 12 month contract but it's really only good for 4 months? How ridiculous!!! I asked if I can do a 6 month contract as it's stated on the letter I received offering a 6 month lock in for .77 per therm.

They refused to give me a 6 month contract but can offer a 12 month contract that's only good for 4 months. This doesn't make any sense!!! Scana regulated needs to be shut down for cheating residents out of their money. I'm hoping there's a company that can fine this company for offering contracts that can't keep. What is the purpose of a contract if they can't honor the contract? Sounds like they need to pay me for such foolishness!

Scana was shut off due to payment past due date. After being told we would also have to pay a deposit of 150.00 on top of our 130.00 bill. We had already paid a deposit somehow that deposit was gone/used up??!! So we paid the amount 331.00. Then to be told on a Thursday that they will turn it back on Tuesday. Five days can't cook or take a shower. Ludicrous!!!!

Like the other reviews, I never received a notice about a disconnection and my services were cut off. After paying, I was told about the enormous reconnection fees. I called another provider and SCANA charges a $150 exit fee. Being on the fixed rate did not save me enough money to justify a $150 exit fee. Consumers in the Georgia area should go with GA Natural Gas. First, their fees are prorated, and they do not charge those type of disconnect fees.

We usually stay a month behind on our utility bills, but we pay them. We lost 2k a month income last year and have been unable to catch up, but we always make sure the past due amount is paid before it is 30 days out. The last time we paid scana was February 16 and we paid the past due amount plus a few dollars like always. We get paid on the 15th and the last day of the month or if those days fall on a weekend, payday is the weekday before the date, so we were due to be paid 3/13.

On 3/12 we came home to our gas being cut off. It hasn't been 30 days since the last payment or even 4 weeks, but only 24 days. We would have never expected this. It appears they watched our payment pattern and chose a date to send Atlanta gas light out that was before they knew from the past that we were going to pay them. They call each month to give a warning and we didn't receive a call this month. When they call to give a warning, they could just as easily call to say pay now or we'll send Atlanta gas light to cut your service.... people would pay at that time just like they do for the water and electric companies. The water and electric companies will restore service the same day when a payment is made, but Atlanta gas light takes 3 to 5 business days after payment to restore service, which is ridiculous in itself. They set things up to create the biggest inconvenience possible for their customers.

People should be able to get their service restored the same day when they make a payment and the gas company shouldn't be able to watch patterns and choose a date for cutoff days before you consistently make a payment. We aren't insubordinate children who need to be punished by not having heat or hot water and being charged a fee by Atlanta gas light, but people struggling to keep up with our bills. Now we can either wait until late next week to have our service restored or we can break the lock and risk a fine or having our gas service terminated forever.

We have been SCANA customers for 10+ years and had never made a late payment. Last month my husband forgot to pay our bill and our service was cut off with no warning - no letter, email, phone call - nothing at all. We immediately went online and paid what we owed electronically. I called the next day to see when our service would be restored and was told that I could "make an appointment" to have my service turned on after I paid a $225 reconnection fee. Needless to say we are not going to use SCANA again - ever!

I have considered hiring an attorney. This company is completely out of bounds. The sixty dollar connection fee is outrageous on its own. Get this... I had gas service cut on and was paying my bill to the account provided for me when I connected. They were still putting that money in my landlord's account without giving me credit at my service address. The landlord's account was closed when I connected about 45 days ago. They were accepting $$ into a closed account with no notification. Lo and behold, my gas was cut off. One letter was sent out but I was paying the bill and it was getting cashed so I didn't think much of it. They charged me the reconnection fee of $225 - 45 days into my new service because they have no oversight in their billing department. What choice do you have but to pay the fee? Unbelievable. I have moved all over this country and had many utilities come and go in my life but this is my WORST experience ever with an energy company. Even Time Warner does not stoop this low. DO NOT USE SCANA ENERGY! FIND SOMETHING ELSE!

They charged me 60$ connection fee and it is written in terms and conditions that 25$ is AGLC pass through charge. True natural gas doesn't charge any connection fee like this. I got AGLC charges separately in the bill and 60$ extra connection fee in the bill. They were not ready to listen. Stuck in a contract for 1 year now. But will definitely switch after that.

The people that work for Scana Regulated in the call Center have no knowledge of what the hell is going on with paying customers' accounts and the customer service is utterly terrible. They tell you one thing but when you get a bill in the mail and do everything you supposed to get out of the dreadful Scana regulated, they jerk you around. Scana needs to do a complete wipe out of their company and hire people that appreciate getting a paycheck. Scana YOU SUCK!

Just had my gas turned off for late payment of one day. I immediately paid the bill online and called the "customer service" #. I was told I would have to pay $150 and $75 reconnect fee, was not happy at all but had to pay. I was then told it would be a week before the gas would be turned back on. I ask why do I have to pay such high reconnect fees and it takes a week to have turned back on? What is my fee paying for? I cannot believe they do not have enough technicians to turn your gas on within a few hours or at least one day! Worst customer service ever! Will try to find new service right away!

Scana "mistakenly" disconnected my gas for 2 months and then sent me a bill with 2 months of service charges.. Thanks. Great company.

We have been with Scana over ten years, never missed payment. But because an internet error which was their fault they cut us off over 90.16 bill. We have paid over 800.00 bill, so you know we can pay a ninety dollar bill. Instead helping because we been good customer, they gave us a very hard time today, forcing us to have no hot water until Wednesday!!! Worst service ever!!

My service was turned off, and after paying the $75 reconnect fee plus the bill that I owed I HAD TO WAIT A WEEK!!! To have them come turn it on. I believe that this is HORRIBLE!!!! Not have enough technicians!!! That tells you a lot of the Customer Service this company has and how bad this company maybe pays. If you have it, think about it and change to another provider that does have more than 20 technicians out there.

I received a call from a Scana representative telling me I was behind in payment. When I checked my account, I found that no bills had been received for two months. I am scrupulous about paying bills electronically the day they come in. I can only conclude that for some reason their mailings are not being generated correctly. I will monitor this closely.

Well good thing it was not winter they cut the gas off for 33 bucks. Really who does that. But I paid it. I have a surprise for them next month the total bill will be 0.00. I went electric on everything so I must and forgive me for saying this but ** them how I the ** can you turn someone gas of for 33.26 really. It's very simple to do and does not cost that much at all. My advice to you is to get rid of SCANA before it's too late because they will ** you soon. It cost me just a total of 54.00 to get it done.

My service was turned off without notice, and after paying the $75 reconnect fee plus the bill that I owed and having to wait a week to have them come turn it on, they stopped it again 10 days later. When I called, they said I didn't pay the remaining balance owed within the ten days they allow after being reconnected. They never said I owed anything else and couldn't figure out what it was exactly that wasn't paid. To top it off, they canceled the whole account and kept my $150 deposit even though they admitted turning the service off the second time was their mistake. I still have to sign up all over again and pay $150 deposit. They are criminals!!!

I made arrangements to pay my bill because I'm disabled and get Social Security Disability once a month. I was in the hospital when I made arrangements. They were never posted to my account. I came home to cold water and they were very sorry with me and demanded money, and it was days before I received my check. They are robbing and mistreating less fortunate people.

We were placed under Scana Regulated Division because in short, our credit sucks (young and dumb will do that to you). We've had service for almost four years now, and yes, we have been disconnected once and it took 3 days to have it reconnected (A long time to go without hot water! Thank goodness it wasn't during the winter). HOWEVER, ever since then, if we're going to be late with our bill, I call to make payment arrangements.

Today, I had to call again. My husband got a medical discharge from the Marine Corps last year and we've had a hard time living paycheck to paycheck ever since. Our bill (with a past due balance included) was around $250. I nervously called today, hoping to make payment arrangements, but not really sure that they'd agree. Keep in mind, this is not the first time (by far) that I've made payment arrangements and each time (with the exception of ONE TIME), the representative was very friendly and helpful. The one time I got a rude girl, I ended up speaking with a manager and she more than corrected the problem - bill wise and customer service wise. I've always been very thankful for their friendly and non-judgmental customer service.

However, after today, I had to write a review, and the first "review" site for Scana that popped up on Google was this site with all these awful reviews! The man I spoke with today reviewed my bill, told me that my disconnect was scheduled for Wednesday. I needed to make payment arrangements for Friday. He was MORE than friendly and helpful. He said that I would absolutely be able to make payment arrangements for two days past my final due date. He addressed me by name and made sure that I was completely informed, while also making sure that I had no more questions. I thanked him for being so helpful, and he really seemed shocked!

I can't believe that people don't appreciate great customer service more these days. Long story short, yes, I've had an issue with them before... but it certainly does not overshadow the good experiences I've had. GREAT customer service!

I had service interrupted because my January bill didn't reflect my actual amount due in January. I paid the bill and opted out of the paperless bill and paid a deposit plus what was to be my balance in January. At that time in January I was told I was now current. Well, February came and I thought the bill seemed high when I checked it online. I decided to call once I got home from work so I would not waste an hour at work. Well, I got home to no service and my bill was not due till the next day. I spent 2.5 hours on the phone to be told yes, there was an error dating back to early Dec. but that was not reflected on the bill. They had charged me again for a deposit and extra fees.

After the 2.5 hours and paying my bill current, I was then notified that although it was their error, I was out of service for a week and we know that last week of Feb. was a cold week in ATL. They told me that they would fix the bill and that I owed 67 dollars for next bill. Well, it’s March and my bill states $387 and now I'm getting the runaround again. This is so unfair as a consumer. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't mind paying for my service, but I don't like being overcharged and given the runaround because you feel like you can.

SCANA Energy Company Profile