Laclede Gas Co.

St. Louis, Missouri

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My lease requires that I keep a constant MGE (Laclede) account or I could be in default. I use ZERO gas in the summertime (hot water is provided by the complex -- a "water fee" is figured into my lease). I get billed TWENTY EIGHT dollars a month for SERVICE CHARGES in the summer while using zero gas. Not one bit of gas and I've paid over $115.00 this summer... for NOTHING. How can they get away with this? I understand a Service Charge... yes. But twenty-eight dollars (+) a month... for NOTHING!!! This is the MOST OBVIOUS monopoly I've ever seen. Should be illegal, but there is no other gas companies in KCMO.

I have lived in this house over 17 years and always paid my bills on time. Except for some small glitches that my ex wife caused, we have been ok with the Gas service. About a month ago I had a family emergency in another state and went there to help. I was gone about 3 weeks. When I got back, I had mail from the Gas company saying that I should pay 512.00 to close out the account. I had no idea what they were talking about so I called and found out that they had shut off my gas with no warning.

I had no idea that they had done this and checking my mail, could find no warnings of impending shut off. The Public Utilities Commission was notified so they could check and LaClede said they had sent notices. This was obviously not true. LaClede is now changing their name to Spire and the rate of shutoffs has been going up. The employees tell me they have been told this is so they can charge more reconnection fees and make the new company look good.

On top of this they have turned my account over to collections without making any effort to help me out. They are a monopoly and they treat their customers bad and their employees, if all the complaints I see on the internet are correct. This is one of the reasons that Missouri should be deregulated so that Natural Gas users will have a choice.

I received a letter from Laclede Gas on Saturday, 4-30-2016 referencing an important meter change to be completed as soon as possible. This letter references a required meter change at my residential address... "We are asking for your help in coordinating an appointment time when you will be available for a technician from Laclede Gas to perform a meter change..." "Please take a moment to call us at 314-621-6960 or 1-800-887-4173..." "There will be no charge for the service, but it is important that we complete the meter change as soon as possible."

My wife called on Monday, May 2, 2016 at 11:00 AM and was told by the Laclede employee the first available appointment is Tuesday, May 17th, 2016 and the time frame would be 7:30 AM to 12:00 noon for a Laclede technician to do the service. My wife repeated the date verbally aloud: "May 17th 2016 between 7:30 AM and 12:00 noon that someone would be at our address." for confirmation. This was confirmed verbally and my wife proceeded to document the date and time frame for the service as she normally would confirm an appointment. I must state that my wife called the next available business day after receiving the request letter to help facilitate Laclede Gas' request for this important and prompt meter change.

Tuesday, May 17th, 2016. NO ONE ARRIVED BETWEEN 7:30 AM and 12:00 NOON AS INSTRUCTED BY LACLEDE GAS ON MAY 2, 2016. No one called to inform us to avoid wasting anymore of our personal time waiting for this "important" service. I called the 314-621-6960 at 5:55 PM and followed the menu system PROMPTS and constantly heard "Someone will be with you shortly" recording on this phone call! After 2 hours of waiting, my wife hung up the phone.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016. I called the 314-621-6960 number around 8:00 AM and was on hold for a very long time and was told by a Laclede gas employee that our appointment was for May 18th, between 7:30 and 12:00 noon AND NOT FOR MAY 17TH between 7:30 and 12:00 Noon. NO ONE ARRIVED BETWEEN 7:30 AM and 12:00 NOON ON WEDNESDAY, May 18. No one called again to inform us not to waste anymore personal time waiting for service from Laclede Gas. I called the 314-621-6960 AGAIN and left my callback phone number (instead of wasting more hours of my time being placed on hold). A Kaitlyn from Laclede called my phone number and stated that the log showed that an "Anita" documented my wife did indeed call and schedule the appointment for Laclede Gas to perform this important service on May 17th 2016 between 7:30 AM and noon by the employee, Anita.

Kaitlyn stated someone had it set up for May 18, 2016. I requested to talk to a supervisor. I was again put on hold to speak to a supervisor and hung up the phone after again waiting many minutes. Kaitlyn called back again and explained she placed me on hold and was explaining to the supervisor what was happening to my wife and I. Kaitlyn stated the supervisor was currently on hold on this call and was waiting for my call to be transferred. NOW, Kaitlyn informed me that our May 18th appointment was removed / and NEVER REASSIGNED FOR ANYONE TO PERFORM THIS SO CALLED IMPORTANT METER CHANGE ON May 18th between 7:30 and noon. So, we wasted another half-day and no one was even arranged to come to perform this important service. I told Kaitlyn that Laclede Gas is deceitful, lacks integrity and any resemblance to honest professionalism.

I told Kaitlyn I would not waste another day setting up another appointment through the same Laclede system since Laclede Gas will lie, change scheduled appointment records, and be totally unprofessional (the Laclede Gas workers that showed up unexpectedly and unscheduled stated it would take 15 minutes); BUT I WOULD SET UP AN HOUR TIME FRAME AND DATE THROUGH LACLEDE GAS TO HAVE THIS IMPORTANT SERVICE PERFORMED... My wife and I had already twice in two consecutive days attempted to have service performed by Laclede Gas. I told Kaitlyn I would pass this information to the supervisor, Richard when we speak. Kaitlyn then said she was transferring my call to the waiting supervisor by the name of "Richard". Again after waiting for a very acceptable amount of time (since I was told the supervisor was on hold waiting to talk to me); I hung up the phone.

No one contacted me from Laclede for any further scheduled meter change. Laclede Gas personnel showed up TOTALLY UNSCHEDULED (per Laclede Gas letter - "We are asking for your help in coordinating an appointment time when you will be available for a technician from Laclede Gas to perform a meter change..." UNEXPECTED/UNPLANNED/UNANNOUNCED around 1:45 PM on Wednesday, May 18, 2016. They stated they just received an unexpected order to perform a meter change at my address. I informed them that my wife and I scheduled an appointment for Tuesday, May 17, 2016 and heard absolutely nothing. I called Laclede Gas this morning and was told the appointment service was for Wednesday, May 18, between 7:30 and 12:00 noon.

Again, no one came for the service. Now, you come WITHOUT being scheduled by me to perform a so-called important service in which I have reserved and taken my own personal time for the past two consecutive days to have performed. The Laclede workers were told by me that I am in the middle of something else and I need to reschedule through Laclede Gas (a third appointment) per their own instructions and policy. One Laclede worker stated my gas could be shut off... I emphatically stated that would be crazy - Laclede Gas is the party 100% at fault and lacks any integrity or professional to take care of the meter change. Additionally, Laclede Gas sent letters to their customers requesting prompt scheduling of service for the meter replacement.

Common sense would state to increase their phone staff (during this heavy response time) to handle the amount of additional phone calls they were instructing their customers to do as soon as possible. THIS SEEMS NOT TO BE THE CASE. Instead Laclede's customers were burdened with very very long hold times attempting to schedule Laclede's own requested important service through their scheduling system. In my case, the actual scheduled times (twice) through Laclede's own system were totally overlooked, removed, or changed and never performed.

I am in disbelief that a "Utility Service" company resorts to fraudulent statements, and actually changing documented records to coincide with their own misrepresentations and incompetence. Laclede Gas seems to lack common respect, integrity, professionalism, and honesty. Laclede Gas - you SHOULD BE a SERVICE company.... NOT A "DISSERVICE" company to the residents/customers you are suppose to be providing a service(s). As of the present, Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 1:00 PM, this "Richard", a Laclede Gas supervisor has not contacted my wife or I in regards to their total "mess-up".

I'm trying to figure out how it's legal to monopolize a utility, such as natural gas, and then have a surcharge every month for being a customer. That is entirely unfair. I'm being charged $19.50 a month JUST for being a customer. On top of that I get charged for "delivery" of said gas, and then again for the actual product used. My bill this past month, with no furnace usage, leaving ONLY the water heater is $75! $49.38 of that is JUST surcharge fees for being a customer. That's absurd. How has nothing been done about this yet?!

I live in a home that's mostly electric but we do use gas for the dryer and hot water. My bills are outrageously high even in the summer! I'm positive that there's a problem, even the billing is confusing to me. I'll receive a bill for $250 but when I call a rep will say $750-$1000... for gas? I'm not driving my home so I don't understand. There are 3 people including me who live in this house and unless we're running a laundromat, how is this possible. I've had a rep laugh at me when I suggested that there's obviously a problem.

I've received a call from Dan ** apologizing and confirming that there was a mistake and I was refunded. My balance was 0, my services were reconnected! Our service is usually shut off for 6-8 months out of the year. Even after receiving help in late October and getting my services restored my bill is still $700 and about to be shut off any day and it's December. And No wonder so many poor people burn to death during the winter months. These utility companies received millions of dollars every year from the government on behalf of poor people but because you're poor your bills are usually so high that you always need help and so the utility companies bully.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Laclede Gas Co.?

I was being billed monthly for my service. Randomly one month my bill was $600.00. When I called to inquire about the bill, I was told that the computers were not getting a reading from my gas meter and a technician would come out and replace my meter and get a reading. A tech came out and changed everything and turned my service off as requested. But my bill was still the same amount! After several calls, I spoke with Tara. I had several questions such as:

If the computer couldn't read my usage, what calculations did you use for my bill? Tara (supervisor) stated that the amount used was based off of the past 12 months. An average of $180.00 per month was the amount billed. I asked her to give me each month and she stated that she couldn't do that. When was the last time that the computer got a reading from my Gas meter? I want to know is how the average is $180 a month when the only thing in my apartment that uses gas is my furnace. My stove and water heater are electric. The technician verified that. When I spoke with Shannon earlier today, Shannon stated that half of my bill was needed in order to turn my service back on. Why when the company does not know what my actual usage is!?? This is absurd! I would like to have that budget amount recalculated due to the fact that I am never at home to use much cubic square feet of gas.

Gas Shut Off No Leniency - Laclede Gas has absolutely NO empathy for working people who are trying to make ends meet. Their idea of helping is either pay some ridiculous exorbitant amount or they'll shut your gas off. You have to be near dirt poor to receive energy assistance. I'm far from that but like so many people I'm struggling to pay bills. Laclede Gas is worse than the IRS. It's a travesty that people die in house fires due to using space heaters because they have no gas. At 4900 Block of Plover today, children died. It's sickening. Laclede Gas are monopolistic bullies.

I own a house that is currently occupied by a tenant. The tenant is moving out and I called Laclede 2 months in advance to have the gas turned BACK OVER into my name. They are charging me $25! Even though there has been no cancellation of service, and no interruption! $25 to change a name in a computer. Funny thing, I just got off the phone with Ameren UE Missouri and they were AMAZING to deal with. Super friendly on the phone, and ZERO charge to change it back into my name. ZERO!

I just think Laclede is taking advantage of people. I have no other choice but to use Laclede gas. I have no other choice but to put the gas back in my name (like it was the past 6 other years). And I get charged $25 each time? It's a monopoly. It's robbery. Shame on you Laclede. And shame on your Missouri for allowing a company to rob its citizens like this. Look at all the horrible reviews Laclede gets. Who is going to do something about this?? Attorney General? Chris Koster? Stand up for your people. Put limitations on big business.

Back in May, I received a letter from Laclede Gas stating that they needed to have a tech come out and check my meter. The letter stated that if I didn't make the appointment, they would cut my services even if my account was current. I made the appointment, and the tech called me to inform me that he was on the way. I saw the truck pull up, but the tech never came to my door. He went straight to my meter, and then left. About a month later, I get my bill, and it's $497.70. My actual bill was $18.75, but they RE-billed me $478.95 because they claim my meter was reading incorrectly and this is an estimation of what I used from previous months.

I lived in an apartment, and the only gas I used was the hot water, and the heat. Everything else was electric. I called customer service to get an explanation, and the only thing they did was offer me a 22 month payment plan. The letter I received never mentioned that my meter was wrong, or that I would be re-billed or anything. The letter just stated that they needed to check the meter. I lived in that apartment from 2008 - June 2015, and not once did anyone from Laclede ever come out to check the meter before June. KMOV did a story about this, and it seems that everyone going through this can't do anything about it. It is unfair.

I feel Laclede gas should check and make sure there is no holes in lines and their equipment is safe and they should make sure lines are buried and people should be aware of lines in their yard for safety reasons. Summer is the best time to check it.

I am very disappointed with Laclede Gas and how they are dealing with me concerning an old Gas Bill from 2008. Myself and my children lived in low income housing and I was out of work at the time. At the time my children were all at home and my two youngest attended the Parkway school district. I'm not sure which school but both of them were attending the Parkway school district and I talk with the social worker concerning my Gas Bill at the time of almost a $1000 dollars. The district so lovingly took a collection up and I later learned after calling in to my account that a pledge of $1000 was put on my bill and the operator from Laclede further told me at the time a credit was on my account. I was so happy and relieved. It was my Christmas miracle.

I went through a lot that year and have went on to go through even rougher situations since then. I thought that Bill was behind me but I was very disappointed to discover it was still on my credit. I filed bankruptcy last year in 2014 and it was still on there and they recently told me I owed over $979.00. When I tried to get a copy of my most recent Bill which should only be $339.00 which I am prepared to pay. When I was recently in the shelter and requested a copy of my bill they gave me the $339.00 balance from last year but after my chapter 13 was dissolved earlier this year and I requested a copy they said I still owed the $979.00. I called Laclede Gas talked with ** then later on a supervisor who basically told me the same thing ** did that I had to get the third party to show proof of payment.

I talk To Ms. ** a social worker from the district and she was working with me but I have lost communication with her, the school year is over and no one is there. I've left her numerous messages on her voicemail at school and even emailed her from the district website just waiting to hear back from her. But when I asked the supervisor from Laclede he told me I would have to subpoena the records from 08'. I don't have money or time to go to court. I'm in the process of trying to secure housing for me and my teen daughter and I won't be able to get approved unless I am able to get utilities on in my name. I don't mind paying a bill I owe but I know what I was told that the bill was not only paid in full but had a credit on the account.

Either one of two things are going on. Someone in the accounting department at laclede neglected to properly credit my account when the Parkway school district paid my Gas Bill in 2008 or it is some kind of fraud going on where they are purposely not recording payments made by third parties and double dipping the consumer by asking for another payment after the bill has already been paid. I need proof of payment to clear my name, credit and secure my housing for my daughter and myself.

This is one of the worse companies ever and the customer service and Supervisors are just as bad. Spoke with a rep for services told me they would be out between 7am and 12pm so around 10 am I see two techs pull into the subdivision and of course I assumed I would get service. NOPE. 2 hrs later they drove off. I immediately called Laclede and they told me my appointment was set for all day. Luckily I record all my calls. There is a supervisor by the name of ** who is a representation that they allow anyone to be a supervisor the unprofessional approach from him was absolutely sickening. They treat people like crap because they are a monopoly and know that this is the only choice for gas services for MO. Needless to say I wrote a letter to corporate and contacted the Missouri Service Commission Office. Let's see how serious they take these issues!

I have been a customer for over 14 years and have had the same average billing the entire time until this month. This month my bill shows as $537.24. They are indicating that this is an adjustment for this entire past year. Even if that were the case this is not even accurate in any way! Only my furnace and water heater run off of gas! And I am not cooking Meth so this is TOTALLY uncalled for. The Customer Support Supervisor Tom ** gave only that it was an adjustment in billing.

I moved in to help my elderly mother. I called after hours to inquire about cleaning gas range burners. Next think I know the soldiers show up and although polite they were also impressed with their position. May I add they were not asked to come. They were all over the house looking for something that was not there. They said the range had a small leak, ok I get that, so they disable it. Arbitrarily, they proceed downstairs and without any provocation they disable the hot water heater and all gas.

Then joked that we had 1 good shower left. Then the good news came, they advised that we had to call our HVAC co. to come and check for a leak, they could not do that. So we had to pay them to come. They said unnecessary and said many of their customers were upset with the same thing. I do not like to be threatened to have my gas shut off or estimated if I don't give them the pleasure of making you wait for their 4 hour window. Just had a maintenance apt. and now they need to do something else.

After separating from my wife for a year, I was left with my rental home and ton of bills. My wife had not paid the gas bill for a few months and when I found out, it was one if the reasons the we parted. After the gas was off most of the summer, I borrowed the money from my job to get the $300+ bill paid and the gas service restored, which did happen. Several months had passed and I maintained the service. In early 2012, I didn't see a gas bill for two months and called to find out why. They said the bills have been mailed. I later found out my ex had changed her mailing address and the gas bill was going to her instead of me. At this time, I did get the bill caught up but after getting the bill transferred into my name, they brought to my attention a $170+ bill from my store front business from over 10 years ago.

I told them I accept responsibility for the bill and asked if they could break it out over 3 or more bills, which they refused. Instead, they offered me budget billing for $90+ a month. The math didn't add up for me and I had to settle for no gas until I can pay the $380. Now my live-in uncle who is a leg amputee and diabetic was discharged from the hospital to return home to no gas again. I understand my role and accountability in this situation and not looking for a hand out of any kind, but my cable TV company is much more flexible with financial arrangements than my community gas utility company. I find this to be a travesty that a simple promise to pay can save my TV, but my hot water and stove which actually cost less per year can't survive the financial greed of Laclede Gas!

I came home from work and there was a card in my door saying I missed a gas tech who was trying to do a safety check on my pipes. They then shut my gas off! I had a guy come out 2 years ago unannounced on a Saturday and shut me off saying that my line was losing pressure. I had a company come out and repair the pipes then had Laclede out to do a reinspection and turn it back on. Well, about a week later another guy showed up and did another surprise inspection and said the pipes were losing pressure! I informed him of the previous guy out who passed the pipes. Then the tech did another test and said it was ok. What the heck is Laclede trying to do?

Dispute Bill: I lived at ** until 1989. I sold the house. I paid them the $400.00 last bill. This was over 22 years ago. I never received nor heard anything from Laclede Gas since then. Every place that I've lived since then has been all electric. On December 19th, 2011, I moved to Rain Tree Apartment 11011, Mollerus Drive #**. Laclede Gas Company said I owed almost $300.00. This has been over 22 years; I have not received anything after all this time and no one has ever tried to contact me at anytime. Please help me. I am disabled and this is not right or fair.

I have been a customer with Laclede long enough to know they charge an extreme amount to some customers. I am one. I use less gas than electric, but my bill comes in triple times the amount. I can't afford the gas for heat. In the summer, the bill is as big as in the winter and I only used hot water. I hope government gets involved in the overcharging. I know it would be for everyone if people would go all electric, although it is expensive to make the switch. The monies spent given to natural gas could be used to buy electric furnaces and water heaters.

I have had a past bill with Laclede that was accrued after I moved from an apartment. The account should have never been disconnected because they should have had it transferred back to the complex name. I have a bill for $62.00 reconnect fee ($19.50 monthly customer charge and $10.38 actual usage + 1.20 tax).

I agree wholeheartedly that this is robbery and because there is no major competition they are robbing customers blindly. I will be looking into electric heating units because I can't afford to pay my bills plus the outrageous charges.

I called Laclede and there was no help, they just hold that the fees are valid. I am being charged for being a customer with someone and I have no choice but to be their customer and they know this. Many people have no choice it is a regional monopoly and they are doing harm to the communities that they claim to give back too.

We have a gas odor so we called the emergency number. We have been on hold with the emergency number for over an hour and forty five minutes now.

Laclede Gas monopolize the market. We don't have options to change gas provider. They are thieves who are violating my rights and causing me harm. They are ripping me off every month. They are worse than the crooks in Washington D.C. Something has to be done to prevent them from setting there own prices and assuming what our bills should be from month to month due to faulty meters. They don't have any remorse from paying customers. In fact, they rejected my money in lieu of restoring my services. It's a crying shame that we have companies, which are so powerful, that the local government can't control them. I am seriously thinking about converting to all electric due to the ignorance of Laclede Gas.

Laclede Gas was supposed to credit my account because of a broken meter that they were way over charging me for gas. The tech that came told me it was way off and I would be issued a credit. When I talked to Laclede Gas the first time, they agreed. The next time, they basically said, “Too bad.” The satellite was wrong and the meter was broken. Now they have disconnected my gas! Wow! How can they get away with robbing everyone? They don't care because they know they are the only one we can go to. It's unbelievable to me. They should be held accountable, but they’re not. What can I do?

I recently found out that we have to pay a usage fee of $19.50 every month for gas. When I called and asked customer service about this they said there has always been a fee. I have not seen this fee before though and have been paying a gas bill for at least 6 years. Is there anything we can do about this? I do not want to pay an extra $240 a year just because I have gas in my house, if it was all electric I wouldn't have this fee. I am already stuggling to pay the bills. I do not want to give extra money away.

It cost me $25 to change the name on my account. When I asked the rep to breakdown the $25 fee, she simply said it was for administrative costs; to change a name? I already have another account with the company. Why was Ameren able to change the name on the account for free? Seems like an unnecessary high charge to me.

Can someone explain to me the "monthly customer charge" that is now on our Laclede Gas bills? It is $19.50 added to the usage fees. It first appeared on my October 2010 bill. I don't recall being informed that I would be charged an additional $20 per month for the service!

Their website explains it as allowing "the company to recover a portion of its cost of operation and a rate of return on its investment." Isn't that just a way to squeeze more money out of the customers without a rate increase? This month the "fee" was 33% of my total bill. It’s outrageous. I'm shocked that I haven't heard more outcries to the unfairness of this policy. I would suspect that most customers have not looked at their bill closely enough to see where the obvious increase in charges lies.

I got a letter dated November 3 and it stated that on my next bill, a balance of $113.62 will be added to my account from an 8414 Halls Ferry account. I talked to Ms. **** and she said that because I was an individual in the home and 18 and over, I would be responsible for the outstanding balance even though my name was not on the account. Not to mention that this is a bill over 7 and a half years old. I have been a Laclede Gas customer for the last 6 and half years and they have never sent me a letter before about this. This is absurd and I don't feel like I'm responsible for someone else's debt. I need more information on who I need to contact to resolve this matter.

First of all my fiance paid our electric bill in cash. It was around $165. He received a receipt at that time. He also was told the computers were down, and that his payment would be put into the paper records and later recorded on the computers. It wasn't until the cut off date that one of the technicians arrived knocking on our door asking for $209. We received no notices in the mail or any other documentation to warn us of this oncoming cut off. Since I had no such money, I was forced to allow them to cut off our electricity.

My fiance rushed off and immediately brought to the Hartville office the carbon copy receipt. At that point, we thought we were just waiting for the technician to return and turn it back on. Unfortunately, that wasn't what happened. Trying to get some further action to take care of the problem, we called the head office in Lebanon. Lettie, one of the customer service representatives, told us that she just had to call Hartville and confirm that the receipt was received. She did just that and informed us that Hartville claimed they did not see any receipt of any kind. So at that point, we discovered that the receipt was missing, whether we actually lost it or something else happened I can't be sure. I let my fiance handle the matter up until that point. In short, I personally searched everywhere for that receipt, both our car and our house, and still cannot locate it.

We went about a week without electricity, with my three-year-old son, plus everyday was topping 90 degrees. We spoke to them and the only deal they could offer us was about $300 now and $150 dollars for the next two months. The bill had grown from $165 to well over $600 in less than a day.

At this point, I can't prove with any kind of physical evidence that the money was misplaced or taken, since my receipt is gone. I know the bill was paid without a doubt nonetheless. I have tried every action that I know to do legally possible to correct this matter, but there is nothing left to help me.

My biggest concern, even though I would like all my money back too, is that this seems to be an on going practice with Laclede Electric. I've talked to a handful of people in the community about this, all honest people who have had similar experiences. One woman told me that she received a past due notice even though the bill was paid and showed her receipt, but the next month the exact amount that was in question reappeared on her bill. So if there is anything that can be done to prevent these sorts of things from happening in the future, I would like be involved. Also I would like Laclede Electric to be investigated. I can provide more exact dates if necessary.

Laclede Gas is "estimating" bills because they don't believe their own meters or technicians. Whoever came up with the idea that it is okay to just write bogus bills without any basis? For several reasons, when I'm away from the house, I shut everything off: water, gas - everything. There are several notes on the Web about pilot light waste (estimating about $100/year to run), and I just don't want fires burning in my house when I'm away. Plus I can't guarantee safe unattended operation of all the equipment in the house.

I guess everything begins about three years ago when Laclede Gas chose to "upgrade" their meters with a new "electronic" reading device (supposed to be good for 10 years). The new meter upgrade apparently can read the energy usage a few times a day. Within a few months, I went on vacation, and shortly thereafter, Laclede came back to replace the electronic gizmo, claiming that it wasn't working. Since then, some of my stays out of town have been longer.

Despite their meter giving them readings multiple times a day, and having two independent meters on the house - one with the electronic gizmo, and the other readable from outside the house - whenever I'm gone, they decide something has to be wrong. And so they started "estimated billing" and overcharging by hundreds of dollars. And they've dug holes in my lawn trying to shut off my gas. I'm still perplexed at the wonders of their logic there. I'm just waiting for the backhoe to come!

They left half a dozen "We Missed You" notices in my door. Ever wonder why they might not be picked up regularly? Isn't one enough? And I certainly don't want them sticking those in my door, alerting thieves that I may not be home. My house was broken into and I was robbed. With Laclede Gas insisting that I have someone check the meter, the next time I was in town, I had a technician out at the house on April 1, 2010 (yes, that day!). He sniffed it with his sniffer tool. He checked it, looked at the pipes (which haven't been touched for a decade). I told him that I was out of town. He made his report and left saying everything was fine.

Fully expecting to get a credit on my account, when I got back "home" (away from St. Louis where the bills are being sent), I eagerly awaited the next bill. No credit. Still an "estimated bill." So I called them. Well, they apparently didn't believe their own technician. They can't understand my usage would be zero (as indicated by their own equipment) when I'm gone. So they refused to give credit for the unused gas. Now they want to send another technician out to check all my appliances (because they are not using enough gas) and to replace the meter, somehow thinking that a new meter will cause me to use more gas.

Can't they get into their mind that low or sporadic gas consumption may be "real," or just ask a simple question, "How much are you using?" rather than depending so heavily on a computer-generated estimate? Of course, they have a monopoly, but this is not a good way to run a business. At this point, it is becoming harassing. And if they charge "late fees," they should be equally responsible for overbilling. Perhaps I should just convert to propane, which would be much cheaper if I could find a good source to refill my bottles.

Laclede Gas continues to overcharge me. I'm uncertain of the amount - perhaps $500 or so. They refuse to give me the actual amount owed for the gas used. And, as mentioned, I'd rather be inconspicuous when I'm out of town. Finding a dozen identical notices stuffed in the door is frustrating, and finding the back door bashed in and the house robbed... I can't say the two are connected, but they need to respect a person's privacy.

My main problem is they will not send me the bill!! You'd think they'd be happy to get my money.

Here's the story. I recently bought a house on April 19 2010 at ***. I do not live there yet. I'm in the process of repairing it. I need to have the gas on so I can have heat in the house so the pipes won't freeze and burst in the winter.

Anyway, the house belonged to a deceased neighbor and I bought it from the representative of her estate. I have tried to contact them to tell them that the estate representative is no longer responsible for the bill, that I am the new owner and the account should be transferred to me. I have called, e-mailed, snail mailed and faxed a copy of my Buyer's Statement, SS card and ID. They still send the bills to the representative. He has also contacted the company and told them that he is no longer responsible for the bill.

My fiance and I moved into a new apartment on April 21. He called Laclede Gas to turn on service that day. He had a prior balance, so they said as soon as he paid it, they would come turn the gas on. Well, he paid it and then they called them. They then said we had to pay my past due bill before he could have service in his name.

A few years ago, my bill for Laclede Gas reached $554. I had called a charity to help with the bill. I moved out soon after and did not need the service. Apparently, the charity did not pay as promised, so I'm left with the balance. I have spoken with every supervisor at Laclede Gas to try to work something out. I have 3 small children in the house, so gas is something I cant go without. I can't cook. It's freezing in my house at night, and my kids have to take cold baths.

I offered them a payment and asked that they add the remaining balance to my bill over a few months' period, but they were unwilling to work with me. We have gone without gas for 2 weeks, and there are no funds available in my area for assistance. If you can, please contact me anytime. Thank you.

Laclede Gas Co. Company Profile