2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Houston, TX

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5

CenterPoint Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenterPoint Energy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenterPoint Energy?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

With everything digital, this is the worst experience I have ever had. Having turned on service to a rental house, NO BILLS SENT, NO EMAILS SENT, cannot set up online payment until you get your account # and hold wait times to speak to a representatives are HORRIBLE at any time of day. If there were an alternative, I would surely change services, but they have a monopoly on service here. THEY ARE A SORRY ORGANIZATION.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I experienced a power outage about a month ago. I woke up to my power turned off and confused because my bill is current. I called to report a power outage and waited 6 hours for a technician to come out. The expected time of arrival was 3 p.m. Once 3 p.m. rolled around my power was still out. I called back and was informed via automated message that my power was “resolved” at 12:30 p.m. (nobody notified me) So, I requested a technician AGAIN. Moments lasted I received a call from the company and explained they had found nothing wrong. He said we would be charged another $40 for the tech to come back out. Finally, the tech called me upon arrival and explained that the unit #’s were mixed up. Mind you, I live in an apartment and have NO IDEA where the meters are kept. Fast forward to 3 weeks later I noticed 1 $40 charge on my bill. I called to dispute it and the representative said the technician wrote in the notes about the meter #’s.

I call today to receive an update only to be notified that the seal on the meter was broke. I explained that I don’t even know what a “seal” is nor where the meter is located. The representative stated the charge would remain. I asked to speak to upper management but was disappointed with the manager’s unwillingness to help. She did nothing to assist the problem and instead spoke to me in a demeaning tone. I’m so upset that these people are able to do this regardless of the situation.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

If I could give 0 stars I would. I am so upset. They disconnected my service with no warning! Immediately I got on and paid my bill in full on top of the over $120 fee to reconnect the next day. Single mom with newborn who works and made it a point to get to my house since they had called. When arriving home I received an email that it had been completed. This was not true. The technician literally lied. So after 15 minute call with customer service who clearly thought I was dumb because I am a woman and claimed my service had been reconnected finally realized that it was not due to the lock on my meter still being there. He guaranteed my services would be back on tonight by 10 and well it's 10:30. I will be raising hell for the disrespect and neglect of their job to provide the services they guaranteed.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020
      On October the 14th, I asked CenterPoint to disconnect my meter in order to get access by construction workers to my backyard for a project. They failed multiple times to come when they were told they would come. After two days of relentless conversation, trying to get them to commit and meet their commitment, they refused to do that. They never showed up. So, one evening, I had to call an emergency in order to get them to come over to take out the damn meter because I had crews waiting. They came over, they removed the meter. I told the technician that it was not a leak, he put it down as a leak. And then I had to pay a plumber to come out and pressure test the house, which was additional expenses. The total cost to me was $1,200 for absolutely nothing. Totally furious am I at the-- it’s primarily the executive team. It’s the people who run the company, not the people I’m dealing with at the lower level. But it’s the management, the leadership, that is so inept and incompetent that this happens. And I am absolutely furious with this company.
      Original review: July 27, 2020

We just bought a house and were in the process of getting utilities set up. We started a CenterPoint account and had them turn on the gas to our new house. We were still in the process of moving in from our old apartment and were getting the pipes replaced. Our plumber told us that a CenterPoint technician came onto the property and turned the gas off while we weren't there. We had no written consent or notification that they were going to do that!

We called their customer service who told us that there was a mistake and that the gas shouldn't have been turned off. They would send out another technician to turn it back on. They gave us a 4 hr window and said we'd receive a phone call when the technician was 30 minutes away. This was a Wednesday and we never received a call. We called back Thursday and they said they'd send another technician within a 4 hr window (4 pm - 8 pm). Still no call. We called again Thurs. night and they rescheduled again for Friday morning. We waited in (at this point mostly empty house) for 4 hours without any call or sight of a technician. We once again called CenterPoint customer service who said they'd send out someone as soon as they can and we would get a phone call when they were on their way. We had a prior commitment at 2:00 pm and had to leave.

Well we got a phone call from the technician. We made it back to the house in 40 minutes (keep in mind the phone call was supposed to be 30 minutes out). There was a note on the fence saying no one was home and that they left. The time was stamped 7 minutes before we arrived. At this point, we've wasted so much of our time for THEIR ERROR! I spoke with a policy manager who was the single rudest person I've ever spoken to in customer service. She ridiculed me, she wouldn't let me speak and kept interrupting me. She kept quoting policy like it was the Bible despite me trying to tell her that her own company wasn't following their own guidelines. This was their fault after all! After another 6 hour window waiting for a technician (where we were told we're lucky to get someone out again...like it was us burdening them...) the gas was turned on. I wish this was the end of the story.

We received surcharges to turn the gas on. They charged us for turning our gas back on that they originally turned off in error and without consent. We contested the charge (after 2 hr call with customer service) and they said it was another mistake and they'd fix it. A few days later, the surcharge was removed and ANOTHER SURCHARGE with a different name but SAME AMOUNT was added. They called it a "special service start-up" fee. We are currently contesting that. This has all been lovely to deal with in the midst of a GLOBAL PANDEMIC...

Original review: April 29, 2020

You can never get through to CenterPoint customer service. Doesn't matter what time of day or night. Today for instance, the power went out at approximately 4:45 a.m.. I called to report it and, based on no outages having been reported yet, I would have been the first one calling to report. I stayed on the line for 15 minutes before getting tired of waiting and so hung up and called back. Could not get through at that point. So kept trying and, on the fourth attempt I got a message saying the power outage was known and, would be restored at 8 am cst. The power outage was not listed on the outage map for nearly 3 hours. Then checking it at 7:45 a.m., it said power would now be restored at 10:45 a.m., not 8 a.m. as the phone message indicated.

So, seeing as their hours were 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. I called back only to get an automated message saying the power would now be restored by 11 a.m.. At that point I never got through again as, every time I attempted to call it rang once then gave a busy signal. Also, I did not get any text alerts about outages as I should have saying that I signed up for it over a year ago. This company's customer service is the absolute worst ever!

Original review: March 17, 2020

A crazy guy, Conrad **, is running 220v on an interior wire that breaks and dogs are known to chew through. It passes over the street and two apartment complexes. This is on Briar Dale Court, near the Galleria. Centerpoint came out twice and told him to stop, but it continues. We have heard he is trying to convert a shipping container to escape and live off-grid. Me and my partner have a small dog and he could get killed by this stupid and illegal behavior. When Centerpoint came they said they were pulling the meter - they didn't. If anyone gets hurt, it's ALL on Centerpoint. We're posting a video on youtube - this is craziness.

Original review: March 13, 2020

I received an email on 3/11 stating bill was due on 3/16. There was no mention of a possible disconnect. On 3/12 they disconnected my service without any warnings. We were without gas for 30 hrs, unable to shower or cook, and had to pay reconnect fees which were more than the bill. Despite the email I received showing a due date of 3/16, and the fact that my service has never been shut off before, the “supervisor” would not agree to waive the fees. The customer service rep and technicians told me this sort of thing happens all the time.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Calling customer service was a really nightmare if you haven’t dealing with them before. I was misinformed since day one when I requested my gas meter to be disconnect after several calls no apologies, no solutions I was offered, take or leave that’s the devastated consequences to deal with a Monopoly corporation which should be illegal all the way around. Your new business name should be Deceptive Point.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

It sucks that we don't have a choice as to what energy company we can use bc CP energy is the worst in the business. Even worse than Entergy. I was supposed to get a refund on my bill months ago... multiple phone calls, case made, multiple people telling me they are going to send the refund. Three months into it and still nothing. It's not a significant amount of money. $80, but I'm not going to let CP have it at this point just on principle. They are not an honest company, and they should have better oversight on what they do with their money.

CenterPoint Energy Company Information