2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.79/5

AmeriGas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGas?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I requested a fuel delivery on 12/16/2020 because I noticed I had 20% fuel left. On 12/23 I noticed that they still have not arrived so I called and they told me I could get an emergency delivery the same day if I paid the $300. Needless to say I paid the $300. It is now 12/26 and I still have not received my delivery. I have contacted them 10 times..Spoken with two supervisors and nothing..Absolutely horrible company.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

If there was a way to rate these idiots 0 stars I would gladly do so. Scheduled a delivery on 11/23. NO DELIVERY IN SIGHT 5 WEEKS LATER. I've been on the phone with corporate telling me "tomorrow I'll get a delivery". Yeah, OK. I'm currently almost completely empty from propane and they route your calls down to some southern state where they can't COMPREHEND what it means to be in 10 degree weather WITH NO PROPANE. This is literally the absolute worst company I've ever dealt with. P.S - They don't allow you to contact your local AmeriGas office due to "COVID-19 Protocol". That's nice, let me talk to someone on the other side of the country that doesn't understand what it means to freeze your behind off. Absolutely leaving AmeriGas as soon as I can. What a joke.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

We ordered propane on the 9th. Was told it would be 3 to 5 days for delivery. Called when no one showed up. Was on hold for hours and disconnected at the end. Still have not received any propane after having 4 delivery dates and spending several hours on hold. Customer service reps were no help. Couldn’t tell me when the delivery should be just by the end of the day. This company has horrible service. I would recommend using anyone else but them.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

We have has Amerigas since we moved into our new house 4 years ago with no issues until this year. We ordered a refill in Nov. Here we are out of gas having a new company come in and put their tank in. My husband has called and was told they put an emergency order in but still no one showed up. Poor customer service and a no show on delivery a product people depend on.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I wish I could give this company a negative review. They came to refill my neighbor's gas and parked in my driveway without permission. When I asked them to leave they ignored my request. We now have oil dripped on our newly poured driveway. After being on hold for 20+ minutes, I was essentially told to get over it. Do not ever consider using this company if you have another option. Terrible terrible service!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I ordered and paid for delivery on December 7th. At that time there was a 10-day window for delivery. We're way past that time now. I began calling Amerigas by the 10th day when delivery had not been made, and could not get a firm date of delivery. I called on Saturday the 19th and was told there is now 14-day window for deliveries, but that I would have delivery, today 12/21/2020. Today was the last day of the 14 days. We still haven't gotten delivery and have less than 5% in the tank. At this point, we still need delivery and should be given a percentage back in the form of a refund for every single day past the original 10-day window I was given. If you own your own propane tank, do not use Amerigas!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

We just purchased our home and have a gas fireplace. All was fine until we ran out of gas. Previous owner had an AmeriGas account which we were instructed to open a new account as accounts do not transfer. We ordered gas to be delivered which we were told we would receive a call from the delivery person a day prior. We never received the call. The propane delivery happened while we were not at home. We received a notice on our door that the tank had been filled and were charged a large sum of money only to find out they locked our access as a safety check still had to be performed. I have now called several times for this safety check and the only time I even get through to someone is when I state I would like to open a new account (otherwise I am on hold for hours).

Finally was able to order a rush on the safety check, again no notice of a service tech (which I was told I would receive). A representative just arrived (4 days after my call) and could not do the safety check, said he was here to fill the tank and not authorized to do safety checks. Told me I would have to call again, after he had just hung up the phone with the safety check technician who told him he could not do the check. This is the WORST service I have ever experienced. AmeriGas should not be in business and please do not give them yours!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

AmeriGas Propane failed to deliver multiple times to our residence within their specified time frame. Their customer service representatives failed to contact us to resolve this resulting in long wait times on the phone trying to contact them, no promised follow up etc. I contacted them 9 times via phone, twice via their website (in writing) and am now pursuing buy out of our leased tank so we will not have to suffer their high prices and disservice anymore. I am prepared to go to court/arbitration based on their multiple failures. I was ignored until I filed a formal complaint with the BBB. I will not buy their propane for our home or use their exchange for our propane BBQ ever again!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

As a 20 year customer of Amerigas the one time a called in an a service call for a new stove and it's been an adventure. I first found out they closed the local office then it took me two days to schedule a service call. On Wednesday morning the service tech arrives with no tools! He claims he will be back on Friday. Friday comes and goes no technician. I call again to be told they will be back next week December 23rd! We are having Christmas Eve at our house. What are the odds of a no show?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I started with the “company” when it was Clarendon Gas and my experience was wonderful. Unfortunately they were bought out by Amerigas and my experiences have been HORRIBLE! They no longer have a local office so there is no real customer service! They encourage you to use their website which is a Complete Joke! Two months ago I decided to change companies due to lack of service and went to website telling them not to deliver any more gas until I called them. Three weeks ago they tried to make a delivery and IA told the driver no more deliveries until called.

Well I was away from home and they made a delivery! I called and made a complaint and they said they were sorry they did not correct their stuff when I went on that famous website to say no more deliveries. I complained that they were too high and instead of at least taking some off my bill I was told to call to request the price deduction before delivery! Crazy! I CANNOT nor WILL NOT recommend this company! Is this delivery considered a Christmas gift? This company is incompetent in my opinion!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

My husband called and ordered a gas delivery on 11/30/2020 of 100 gallons and he went ahead and paid for the gas which was immediately taken out of his bank account. Today is 12/16/2020 and we still do NOT have any gas and are just about completely out. We have been calling to get the status of our gas for over a week and we get the same story every time we call..."your gas will be delivered tomorrow." The company's website is not helpful either, and cannot get anyone to answer the phones.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I scheduled a propane delivery for a new service. It was service for a 120 gallon tank and fill. 3 weeks after the confirmation of service and 2 days before my scheduled service appointment, Amerigas called and told me they do not sell or rent 120 gallon tanks. They also said a great deal of plumbing would be involved to install a 250 gallon tank. Since I have already done the plumbing required and cancelled several appointments to make my scheduled service, this was a huge inconvenience and I now have no heat! Poor planning and communication on their part!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

Contacted Amerigas back in Oct 2020 to serve up a new account. Gal from CA told me that someone would contact me to set up a gas check on my home. Call never came nor a delivery of propane. Spent 2 hours, 30 minutes on hold, phone call got dropped. Made chat call. Talked to Gal who said my account never got finished setting up. She said she would put a rush on a delivery. Waited. My tank was almost empty. My son called and spent a whole day on the phone. Gal promised a delivery by the following day. No delivery. Amerigas really doesn't care about the welfare of their customers. They don't follow through and the price of service also changes whom ever you speak to.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

I spent hours on the phone (on hold) for propane delivery for my elderly mother who doesn’t live nearby. They admitted they made mistakes setting up her account originally. Repeatedly was supposed to call and provide delivery time and dates, but never did. We had to plead with another local company to change out the AmeriGas tanks just so she’d have heat in December. AmeriGas still hasn’t reached out to us. Completely incompetent and CUSTOMER NO SERVICE. I would never recommend AmeriGas to anyone I cared for. Buy local and get a company who cares about who they provide service to.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

Have tried to reach Amerigas by phone with very little luck, promises of service delivery but no one comes out. Email is useless as is their Web contact page, it's clear this company has no idea how to run customer service. They used to be a company that responded quickly, clearly something has changed, highly advise you avoid them, as it's not clear they're still in business. Will try one more time to reach them or look for someone else who can come and fill a tank.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

This company is terrible. My gas bill went up FIVE times the amount based on their "estimate" of what I would use. They stated that when they are busy, they estimate what the usage could be. I have emailed them twice, called the local office....nothing. I am also being charged 11.99 a month for them to "read my meter". However, they did not read my meter....they estimated it. I am looking to change as based on what I have read, this is a common problem.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I have needed to talk to these people on two occasions in the past 30 days. Wait times are 90+ minutes OR you are told call volume is high and you are disconnected. Waited one time 1hr45 and the minute they picked up I was disconnected. Paid bill and threatening to charge interest for non payment. Paid a month ago. Worst company I've dealt with in my life. Impossible to get in touch with. How are they allowed to continue operation. The State needs to intervene.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

On Nov 17 got an ad for 25 cents off per gal. Ordered 70 gal for $159. The order has not been delivered. Customer service does not exist. Phone calls are not answered and emails are ignored. I have found no way to contact the company.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

This is the worst gas company. They have not filled the tank for 3 months. We ran out of gas on Thanksgiving weekend. No heat, no hot water, no cooking.. Hours on the phone. They say they will deliver then they don't. Going on 3 days now. Horrible customer service. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. SONOMA COUNTY CA IS A MESSED UP OFFICE.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Have used Amerigas for 12 years. Used to be able to call our local office and talk to friendly and efficient folks. Delivery was always within a week. Now I find out that when I call the local office I'm routed to the worst automated phone system. Called five times and found wait times of 144, 121, 137 minutes, etc. I don't have time to wait that long. I switched to a local propane provider and couldn't be happier. Cheaper and excellent customer service. Amerigas has shot themselves in the foot and are losing customers everyday. Do yourself a favor and find another provider if you can.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I received a postcard ad in the mail for a promo from Amerigas. I figured it was a good deal so I would try them out at the rate they gave me. I ordered the propane a week before Halloween. It is now after Thanksgiving and I have yet to receive the delivery. I have called 6 times, been on hold for long periods of time. The people on the line were nice and tried to help but the system is broken. The buck never stops or if it does it is a dead end. I can't see how they will stay in business with no ability to get the message out to deliver the propane to customers. You can't call your local number, it just routes your call to the call center. Very very poor customer service!!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

If you deal with this company, do not expect to talk to a real person. If you do you will be on hold for HOURS!!! I only had to wait on hold for 2 1/2 hours to talk to someone about a billing mistake. What a horrible customer service system they have. I will never do business with them again! If you do —-good luck...

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Been on the phone for 2 hrs trying to get a person on the phone. The message says go online and set up a delivery. I try and it says you're not set up for online delivery and says your local place in town. I call and then get put on hold again for 1 hrs still no answer. Since I am hold I have called a local different place and got a new tank coming with free install and the rate is cheaper.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I used to do business with Amerigas when they were a local company that actually cared about their customers. Just recently when looking into whether or not to order more propane, I experienced the laughable new phone system that claims they improved service (you guys need to get your money back). After waiting for more than 50-60 minutes a couple weeks ago, I was able to talk to someone on the opposite coast. The person was nice but after after learning about their new approach with customers, I decided to have my tank removed and will now be a happy electric fireplace user as opposed to a propane fireplace user. In fact, I called Amerigas today to debate the added charges they are trying to get out of me, and I've been in their super-duper great phone system now for 1 hour and 20 minutes. The company is a joke and I'm guessing they will soon go the way of the dinosaurs.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Local Amerigas business offices do not have a customer service line which is causing a lack of communication between the customer and local propane delivering technicians. Amerigas bought out a small town propane company that we were satisfied with, and Amerigas removed staff from the local business office (in the excuse of COVID) and instead gave customers a poorly functioning web portal and long wait corporate customer service phone line that is useless. We are required to be a Will-Call customer since we don't live at the property and a gate has to be unlocked in NC, so we have been trying to arrange a delivery since 10/26/2020.

We live 3 hours from the house that uses propane and waited on hold for over an hour each of the 6 times time that my husband and I tried to iron out the delivery situation, we even made trips to the house more than once in attempts to meet the driver there and still no one delivered. The last excuse for no delivery was “They ran out of gas”, and of course we did not receive a phone call to alert us they were not coming. In the meantime we found another family owned local company that could deliver a tank full of propane in 2 days and at a MUCH cheaper rate than Amerigas quoted ($1.95/gal versus $2.67/gal). The basic problem is there is no staff employed by the local office to help satisfy customer needs and notes go in a computer system that are not seen by the drivers or technicians. Even the staff at our new company could not get through to Amerigas to inform them of the change in service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

So, after putting up with them for over 16 years, I am Done. I am sitting here with without heat. I am elderly and in poor health. It's over an hour wait time to call, only to be dropped when someone finally answers. Online won't recognize my digits, so I am using a roll around space heater to heat one room. I hope the Corporate folks at Amerigas stay nice and toasty, this winter. As soon as I am able, I am changing propane providers. Also, they price gouge. Brought me 80gls. at Christmas, year before last on Autofill. Charged me almost $5/gl.! What could I do?! Tell them to come take it back? So, choose Anyone but these guys. Once you get them, you'll be completely at their mercy.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I have had the WORST experience ever with them! If anyone is looking for a propane company, do yourself a favor and pick ANY company besides them! When we bought the new house, there was a tank of fuel. Apparently on Oct 15th, they locked my tank. I've never dealt with a propane company before so on the 16th when my hot water heater and dryer both stopped working, I just assumed I was out of propane. I called that morning, had them switch the account into my name, and paid for 96 gallons of fuel. I was told they would come fill my tank by the 23rd. On Oct 29th, they finally came and filled my tank up. However, it only took 23 gallons and no one notified me. I checked my account and it didn't even show that they charged me so I had no idea they had even come out. By this point, I have had 3 conversations with people there at Amerigas and no one can tell me what is going on or why I don't have propane.

The following week, I talked to a lady who told me my account wasn't set up correctly so they didn't switch my equipment over to my account but it is locked out and she is expediting my request to have it unlocked to a manager. Last Tues, I finally got another lady on the phone who told me she doesn't see any request on my account but again says she will expedite it to a manager and I should hear something the next day. By Monday of this week, I still have not heard anything from them! I called again and waited on hold for an hr and 15 min only to be hung up on as soon as someone answered. I then left horrible reviews on their Google page, website, and left messages with corporate.

Finally, someone calls me back from corporate!! Again, the lady says she sees where the account was set up incorrectly, she is going to correct it, will have the request expedited, and I should hear from them within 24 hours to have my tank unlocked! Tuesday rolls around and no word from anyone! I call back multiple times Wednesday but I can't get anyone on the phone. Thursday I finally get someone on the phone who says word for word the same things the last people have told me but tells me it will be DEC 7TH BEFORE ANYONE CAN COME UNLOCK MY TANK!!!

Keep in mind that by this point I have now spent almost 10 hours on hold waiting to speak to someone over the last 5 weeks, they refused to refund me the excess money I overpaid since I paid for 96 gallons but only got 23, and I still have NO HOT WATER!! Again, I'm told I will hear from someone on Friday and they rearranged schedules to have someone come unlock my tank! Today is Sat. Guess what I still do not have???? No phone calls! No tank unlocked! And a 2 year old that is beyond pissed that he has to take a quick bath again in cold water!!!! I am beyond livid with how this company responds.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I have been a customer of Amerigas for nearly 10 years. It was not my choice to go with Amerigas, the company I had before sold out to them. I placed an online order, as they urge you to do, for a fill up on or about October 31, 2020. I was informed it would be delivered by 11/12/20. Today is 11/13/20. I have not received my delivery. The only number available is their 800 number. I have been on hold to speak to a representative for 2 hours and 47 minutes at this point. I was told by their automated dummy that it would be 89 minutes before I could speak to someone when I first placed my call. I do not like this company, but it cost a great deal to switch providers and no one else will fill their tank. They virtually have you over a barrel when it comes to who you can go to. Their customer service totally sucks! If I could rate them at a minus, I would do so. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

We purchased our home in 2010 & kept the lease on the AmeriGas tank from the previous owner. Never had an issue and we were always happy with the local folks providing excellent customer service. Fast Forward to 2020. On 10/23 I called for a fill up on our 288 Gal tank & was told it would take roughly 7-10 days. On day 10 (11/6) I called again and was told we weren't actually scheduled for a delivery (HMMMMMM...) but the customer service person would escalate our request and have a field supervisor call within 1-2 days. No call was received.

On 11/9 I called again asking for an update on delivery. Again, was told we weren't actually scheduled for a delivery (REALLY??????). The nice customer service man in North Carolina was going to escalate our request and we would have a delivery in 1-2 business days. Well, no delivery was received. Yesterday (11/11) we called a local company (who the neighbors rave about) and have a new tank scheduled to get here when our AmeriGas tank gets low enough for the switch.

I am a little disheartened to know that getting AmeriGas to pick up their tank might be as frustrating as asking for a delivery (probably worse since we left them). If that's the case I am hoping we can find a legal way to get rid of the eyesore after a period of time, once it's removed from service on our property & set aside.

Let me reiterate. When we had a local office with friendly folks we could call & talk to...and have friendly delivery drivers, everything was perfect! I wonder, what ever happened to those folks...Did they lose their jobs & become victims of corporate greed?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

Updated on 02/23/2021: We finally extricated ourselves from this evil company and recommend anyone considering dropping them to pull the trigger now. Why? Just read the other reviews: they’re all true and we experienced a little bit of almost all of them. We inherited AmeriGas with house purchase. When the local office was operating we were delighted with the service and kept them even though the price per gallon (LP) was higher than others. That changed when UGI Corp devoured the formerly customer friendly AmeriGas.

Long story short: they shut down ALL local offices nationwide and put everyone on their “hub and spoke” scheme which means one phone number for 1.7 million customers. Now you will be waiting 90+ minutes…just to get suddenly disconnected. The call takers are almost all recent hires and they know NOTHING about operations (same with the chat line). They will tell you that your frustration is due to COVID. In their frustration they will tell you that they are doing something to either schedule you or fix an overcharge, but in reality the order never seems to go through. Read these reviews: UGI is gobbling up others (Heritage, Blue Flame) and now thou 1 star reviews are coming in. A class-action lawsuit must certainly be on the horizon. I wish I could tell you how we got out of their hideous web but I don’t want to get some REALLY good people in trouble (AmeriGas folks from the old days). God Bless Them!

Original Review: Needed service troubleshooting. I have a % remaining gauge that may be un-reliable on the propane tank AmeriGas is leasing to me. They used to have a local office, which is why I went to them when I moved here. AmeriGas decided to CLOSE all of our region local offices and push the customers to the worst telephone and on-line chat system I've EVER USED! 91 min wait time for phone conversation (gave up). On-line chat was worse: at 1305 I logged in and was told I was number four in line. AFTER HALF AN HOUR I WAS NUMBER ONE...WHERE I WAITED FOR ANOTHER 65 MINUTES! The chat operator was clueless! SHE REFUSED TO CONFIRM IF SHE EVEN UNDERSTOOD WHAT MY PROBLM WAS! I had to dig up an old phone number to a regional manager from my email to get any action. If I hadn't had that I would have been ignored by Amerigas because they could not be contacted!

AmeriGas Company Information