3.3/5 (854 ratings)

About Zipcar

Zipcar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zipcar?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I cannot emphasize how horrible Zipcar is, especially their customer support department. The first trip that I had ever reserved through Zipcar was a disaster. I reserved a car for about 6 hours, and upon beginning my trip, the car I reserved would not unlock. I immediately called support and they told me that the car had no service, so they subsequently canceled the car. I was left with no car and no way to get to where I needed to go. They completely screwed me over as this all occurred at the very absolute last minute.

After a few more phone calls, a customer service rep told me that I could take a Lyft to my location and back, and so long that I send in proof (the receipts), they would reimburse me the exact amount because it was their fault my car was out of service and that there were no other available cars at the time. So, I did exactly that. I ensured that the service rep took note of EVERYTHING so that they wouldn’t tell me something different later, and I submitted all of the proof. Someone got back to me within 48 hours and said my refund has been processed and it will appear on my credit card in 3-5 business days. Perfect, right? Well, no. He lied. He gave me DRIVING CREDITS, not a refund even though I explicitly noted I wanted a refund made to my credit card on file.

I quickly called Zipcar support once again. They escalated my situation. They got back to me shortly and gave me a bullshit excuse about why they couldn’t refund the money, which was because their system would not allow them to issue a refund that large because I didn’t have enough reservations to equal the amount of the refund. I called once AGAIN, and they escalated the situation once more, but this time with high priority. They told me someone should get back to me in 3-5 business days. Guess what? That never happened. So, I called again.

They escalated it once again. Of course, NO ONE GOT BACK TO ME AGAIN within the allotted time. So, I called again and again and again. I have called back many times — about 5 to 7 times — and I still have not talked to a single person who can issue me my reimbursement and I am so, so, so, SO flustered and beyond livid because the amount of the reimbursement is $150. I literally just want my money back, and no one has been able to do that for me. I was promised my money back, and they continue to lie and let me down. I would not recommend Zipcar to anyone — not a single soul.

If you have an “Out of Pocket Expense” Policy, how the hell do you expect to reimburse large expenses if your regular customer service representatives aren’t allowed to make such refunds??? Make it make sense. Give your service reps access to such tools, and more notably, don’t fucking LIE to your customers, especially when you guaranteed something to them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I was involved in a accident with a Zipcar. I had the damage waiver. The claim department closed my case zip. Months later zipcar still have my account under review. No one in the company know what is going on with my account. I would definitely not recommend to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Zip Car is a great option for weekdays. They have a great overnight flat rate Monday through Thursday. Plus so many location options to get a vehicle. Their telephone customer service leaves a bit to be desired as you can wait twenty minutes on average for assistance.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I have been a Zipcar customer for years, and have always found the Zipcar service to be extremely valuable to me. I currently live in San Francisco, and although I don't need a car day-to-day, on occasion I have rented cars to take trips to nearby hiking locations, etc. When I discovered that Zipcar offered a monthly several months back, I registered thinking I would get a lot of use out of it. I saw no risk in doing so either, given the fact that Zipcar advertises their membership as one that you can 'easily' cancel any time. Unfortunately, however, I found myself not ever renting Zipcars like I thought I'd would, and after 7 months of being a member, I decided to cancel. I log in online to my account to do so, and am told I must call the customer service line in order to complete the cancellation. That was over a month ago.

The first two times I called last month, I waited on the line for over 30 minutes each time, unable to reach any representative. At the time, there was no callback option. I called a third time, waited on the line for over 20 minutes, and eventually gave up. Feeling frustrated from that, I decided to attempt to get in touch with Zipcar in other way. My efforts proved futile, as I could not locate any email or customer chat function. I eventually left them a message on Facebook. A few days later, someone replied to my Facebook message, and notified me that someone from customer service would get in touch with me momentarily. A couple days after that, I received an email from customer service, notifying me that I would have to call in to cancel my account! I could not believe it.

But, I've tried to be cooperative and play nice. I have tried calling Zipcar customer service several times since that email...still unable to reach a representative. They now have a 'call back' feature, which claims that someone will call you back once an agent has become available. I have requested three callbacks now, and still have not received any. I am at a loss for what more I can do. I have successfully contested the most recent Zipcar charge on my credit card statement, but is this something I will have to do every month, solely because Zipcar is IMPOSSIBLE to get in touch with? Fair warning to everyone, do NOT sign up for Zipcar's monthly membership unless you want to be trapped in a membership FOREVER, even though their policy tells you that you can 'cancel' at any time. What a scam.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

This has to be the worst experience I have ever had renting a vehicle and dealing with customer service. Zipcar booked me a car that was clearly damaged and UNSAFE to drive. When I tried to report this in the app, surprise! - the app doesn't work. I called customer service after this and they told me someone had already reported this damage before me which means they went ahead and booked a badly damaged vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I requested the free trial month, didn't use it and kept getting charged because I didn't cancel it (understandable). However, you HAVE to CALL in order to cancel the service but it's difficult to even do that because it takes far too long to have someone pick up the phone. I also emailed about this issue and about receiving a refund and the response for that was a little over a week. I can't imagine what I would do if I actually used the service and needed to emergency contact someone from Zipcar. Save yourself from the hassle of trying to use this service and go with Turo like I did - you'll deal with the owners of the car instead of a car service that is difficult to get in touch with.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I reserved a Zipcar for this past Saturday in Brooklyn (a week prior). The car was nowhere to be found, was on hold attempting to reach a Zipcar representative for 50 minutes with my toddler impatient and crying after having lugged all the stuff ready for a day trip. I now have An anxiety disorder from having to call them again today and sit on hold for 44 minutes to cancel my membership. Person on phone totally indifferent. Zipcar is trying to implode by treating people who need a car in this callous manner. I will help with that process by never using them again and telling and posting to social media to warn others. It needs to be out of business. There’s needs to be another car sharing company available for the public.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

Zipcar is inconsistent and unreliable. Not only is Zipcar always cancelling my rentals but they constantly move the cars to other inconvenient locations. 10 blocks is fine, but to other boroughs? The last time I had a rental it was on 107th street on the east side of Manhattan and it was moved to 181 st on the west side of Manhattan. Zipcar offered to paid to the cab. 25 mins later we arrive at the location and the car is unavailable. We wait 20 mins and Zipcar now offers to go to the Bronx to pick up another car? Zipcar is disrespectful and inconsiderate. They tell me to just cancel my order as if I did not have plans that day.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

Zipcar customer service is woefully bad. You have to call every time you have a problem (and you WILL have problems) as the Zipcar app is very limited. While my first experience with Zipcar was OK, the second was really awful. The car I’d booked wasn’t in the allocated spot, then after long phone waits Zipcar sent me to THREE different locations and each time there was still no car, then when I finally got a car it was filthy with cigarette ash and a punctured tire. We wasted an entire day between trying to access a car and Zipcar phone wait times - DO NOT use Zipcar!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Like many others have said, Zipcar is fine until you have an issue... Then it's just incredibly frustrating. Each time I've had an issue, car not there, extended trip, incorrect charges etc, the app and online portal are very limited so you have to call. The hold times are always super long (20 min at least) which is extremely frustrating. I once waited an hour, then gave up. It's amazing that a company that lends its automobiles wouldn't have people standing by ready to help at any glitch. So I finally wanted to cancel my membership and I wasn't surprised that calling in was the only way. 40 min later and I succeeded. I own a subscription business and the first thing we did was add a cancellation button to the service. It's asinine that this wouldn't be an option on their membership page. This company needs to disappear.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I used Zipcar several times. It is good although it is expensive. However, the last experience made me not to use zipcar anymore. I met a broken car which could not start. I think it was because the former driver forgot to turn off the lights and the car was out of electricity. I called the number and waited for more than 20 mins. Nobody answered. If nobody around the phone, why not just leave a message? I did not know how to make my money back and it charged me. It was not my fault. Why I paid for it?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Got an email from Zipcar saying that my upcoming reservation charges didn't go through, so I check my credit card details on file and they are all up to date. I then check my credit card account; I HAD BEEN CHARGED 3 TIMES and the Zipcar account still said that "account overdue". I call Zipcar and try to resolve the issue but they put me on hold for over an HOUR! And when finally a customer service rep picks up, she says "Hello" and then immediately cuts the call! This is terrible! I have been a Zipcar customer since 2014 and am really disappointed by their lack of customer care.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

When Zipcar works it is fine. But when it does not, it's extremely frustrating. And once or twice a year, it won't work. For example... For my last zip rental, the latch system to get into the garage where my zip car was located did not work. I was on hold with Zipcar for 20 minutes, trying to get help, until my phone died. Eventually someone that lived in the building attached to the garage let me in through the basement, but the zip car was not in its place! At this point, I’m late for a family gathering, and I do not have a car to get there!

And Zipcar's customer service is horrible, once they lied to me about a refund; they have not replied to my emails; and if you call them for help, you will be on hold for 20 or more minutes. (I am calling them now about my experience and am still on hold at over 35 minutes.)
I was an early Zipcar member. And I used to love it. But once they got bought by Avis, the service went down hill. Dirty car interiors and finding your car with less than a 1/4 tank of gas are the norm. And, as I wrote, once or twice a year, your reservation will not be there.

I can no longer recommend Zipcar. Plus, depending on your trip, an Uber/Lyft is about the same price, so why bother with unreliability and horrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I’m so disgusted with this company. The very first call I made to them—after waiting over thirty minutes to speak to someone on the phone—I was calling to make sure that they indeed have cars in a town that I’m visiting, even though they claim on they’re website they do—just to be sure. The customer service rep asks me to sign up for a membership so that, in 3-5 days, I can receive my Zipcard—and only then, when I receive and activate that card, can I book a car. A week later—and now a week before my trip—I receive the card, I signup and attempt to book a car and, nothing... no matter what day, no matter what time, no matter what month, there is no car.

I immediately call to find out what’s going on and I wait to speak to someone for an hour before finally giving up. This is completely unacceptable and I wanted to immediately cancel my membership but, it gets worse: there is no other way to cancel your membership, to stop the membership fees or otherwise, unless you call in. How is one to ever cancel their membership if you never get to speak to them?! Not freely enabling someone to easily cancel their membership at will, is about as shady as it gets. Why would any company force their customers to wait for, what could amount to hours of wasted time on the phone, to simply cancel their own membership? If that’s not an example of shady business practices, I don’t know what is.

Since that first conversation with them, I’ve never been able to speak to someone since. I’ve randomly called so many times over the past week, in an attempt to reach someone at various hours and, no one has ever picked up the phone. Again, as I type this, I’ve been waiting over thirty minutes on hold to speak to someone. This company has no right being in business if it can’t provide the most basic, fundamental service: customer service!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

This is my worst experience with Zipcar. I have applied for Zipcar membership on 26th Sep 2019 and uploaded the relevant documents. My account says "Oh no! Your driving record check is delayed". So I waited for it. But I haven't heard anything yet. I have called them two times and after a long wait, the customer executive said it may take 3-4 days to process. The worst part is I am calling them again today and I am on hold from last 26 minutes listening to the same line "A member of our team will be with you as soon as they can". If there is any problem with the documents then Zipcar team should inform me or they should inform me how much time it is going to take. It is most irritating to wait.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I became a member and I was told I would receive Zipcar in 5-7 business days. But I didn't receive even after 40 days!! I was already charged membership fees. I was not even able to reach them. They were not replying to mails also.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Do no attempt to use this app. They robbed me 80$ plus the reimbursement payments. They suspended my account without notified me that, they don’t "pay for gas." The gas card doesn’t even work. Here’s the proof.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

They are the most incompetent and unreliable company on the planet. They charge my card and approve my account. Yet, they can't figure out how to use the postal service to mail my Zipcard. It has been 3 months and yet no card. Unbelievable companies like this exist in this day and age. COMPLETE SCAM!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Well, try creating an account. Failed - 3 help desk call later they eventually get it to work. Get told that, "Ye we have problems in our back end." Next, they charge me insurance, hay I don't even have a Zipcard yet! So call up to find out what's happening. Go through 3 drop-out calls, one infinite logic loop with a call centre agent, who was totally unhelpful. Give up, cancel membership... Jeez do these people want customers?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Paid for membership for my daughter. She has not received her card and when I called to find out when she would receive it, they refused to tell me. According to them, I am not their customer. I paid them and they charged my credit card but I am not their customer. The supervisor, Ishmael, was no help. He was smug and rude. Zipcar needs to hire better people if they want to stay in business. I, their customer, will be cancelling my membership.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Signed up for Zipcar based on their map of locations. When I went to use it for the first time none of the locations near me existed. Called the company to ask why I do not see the locations and was told that they have parking lots but no cars at these locations. Cancelled my subscription, they will refund my payment.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Booked a car for the whole day. When I went to pick it up, the car was not present. After calling them, they told me that the car was out for maintenance. I was not given any intimation about this and top of that the person who helped me first said they would try to find out about the car and call me back. That person did not even have the courtesy to call back. I had to call back again to follow up. Ridiculous. Never again am I going to use Zipcar.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

The second time that I rented a Zipcar the car wouldn't unlock. (The receptor on the windshield blinked and buzzed but that was all.) I called Zipcar and was put on hold for twenty minutes before an operator in the Philippines with a difficult-to-understand accent responded - - - and offered no help whatsoever. I have canceled my Zipcar membership.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I reserved the car for August 23 12:00am, I get to the car and it's damaged and does not unlock. I call it in and the lady redirected me way out of the way to O’Hare Airport for a replacement vehicle so we moved the reservation time to 2:00am. I get to the vehicle finally, and the vehicle has no signal. I call it in and they said there is nothing that they can do, so now I'm stranded over 45 miles from home with no more and no way home because I put it all in the car so now I'm stranded at 3:31am on August 23 at O’Hare airport with no way home, no money and no help. I am willing to take this further if needed.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I booked a car 2-3 weeks in advance for my vacation in Denver. 24 hours before I was scheduled to pick up my vehicle, Zipcar told me my reservation was cancelled because of a mechanical/safety issue with the car. They automatically switched me to a lesser car (without 4WD and a Park Pass) for the same price. I talked to customer service and they eventually switched me to another vehicle that was comparable to the original. 2 hours before I was scheduled to pick up my vehicle, I received ANOTHER call saying my Zipcar was not returned by the previous user and no other Zipcars were available in Denver. The customer service agent couldn’t care less about the inconvenience, and didn’t offer much of an explanation or apology. I’ve now wasted several hours of my vacation getting a new rental car sorted out when I thought I had taken care of this weeks ago. Do not rely on Zipcar! They will leave you stranded at a moment’s notice.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I reserved a "Honda Civic" with license plate number "**" on 8/14/19 which would be picked on 8/17/19 at 10:00am and returned on 8/18/19 at 10:00am. I received a reminder on 8/17/19 at 8:57am regarding my reservation, so I thought for sure the vehicle was returned from the previous member/customer and ready to go. Upon my arrival I noticed the vehicle I reserved wasn't on site; which was strange because I received a reminder beforehand. There were plenty of vehicles and when searching the parking lot, I seen another "Honda Civic" with license plate number "**". I immediately called customer service to inform them the vehicle I reserved was nowhere to be found and how there's another Honda Civic with a license plate number similar to the vehicle I was supposed to obtain. The customer service representative tried to send an alert to locate the vehicle I reserved and nothing was heard.

He stated he doesn't know where the vehicle is which made me livid because I had plenty of things to do. While on the phone with the representative my wife noticed the "Honda Civic" license plate number "**" across the street in another parking lot with a flat and a spare tire. (Zipcar had a NONFUNCTIONAL vehicle on the market that could not be in use). I asked to speak to his manager and that made matters worse due to the fact that he insisted on canceling my reservation and returning my funds within 3 to 5 business days. I then asked where can I obtain another vehicle due to their discrepancy and he stated there was nothing he could do besides canceling my reservation and returning my funds because all vehicles were reserved in my location. As a Zipcar member I felt so disgusted and mostly certainty angry, so no I do not recommend becoming a member or a customer; I am canceling my membership.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I read a lot of very unsettling reviews of Zipcar *after* had already signed up for a yearlong membership. So I was very apprehensive about using the service. Since, Jan 2019, however, I have rented a car with them 8 times and I have had very positive experiences each time. The stories in reviews about dealing with customer service sounded nightmarish, but there were three times when I needed assistance that the people I spoke with were incredibly friendly and helpful. In two cases, they offered MORE help than I was anticipating. The wait to talk to someone was LONG, though.

Now, I live in a mid-sized city, and I have a feeling that in bigger cities, where the cars are being used a lot more and more people trash the cars, there may be just more chaos to deal with. I guess I'll find out, since I'm moving to a big city in about two weeks. But when my 20-year-old Honda Civic bought the farm, and I just did not have the funds to replace it, having this option was *very* welcome. I'm moving to a new job this fall that will triple my income, but for environmental reasons, I'm going to keep using Zipcar and public transportation. I hope my experience continues to be positive.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Okay, so I booked car June 25 2019 and picked up car July 13. When I booked car I paid at that time for 3 hours at the price of $10.50 a hour for a Volkswagen's Golf. I arrived 20 minutes early, the car had a few good size scratches which I took pictures and sent to Zipcar. Also car floor mats were very dirty and the brakes needed some work. So, I had car for 3 and a half hours, so I owed for a half hour which I was charged at their new rate of $16.50 an hour. Actually they re-charged me for the whole time at the new rate, I did car them and they refunded me the difference but only after I complained. So, prices going up 65 percent in 3 weeks is a little crazy!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I reserved a vehicle 2 months in advance. Was charged right away. Got to my vehicle on the day and time reserved and it would not unlock. Called customer service line - waited on hold 20 mins to find out that the car was not safe to drive and no other cars were available. I was not notified of this prior to calling and was told I should get a refund some time in the next two weeks!! Never again.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

We decided to try Zipcar while in New York. If I could give a minus score, I would. Unlike regular car rental agencies, Zipcar charges a $84 fee if you want to cancel in advance. We decided to keep the reservation and for six hours, we paid over $188 US. The car was not in the described location (we were given an intersection). It was in an underground parking lot. The windows were dirty and there was no window wiping fluid, so driving home in the dark was extremely hazardous. The drop-off location was locked so we had to wait for someone to come, and for the overtime we were charged another $75. Attempts to cancel “with the 30-day money back guarantee” were refused even though we had only signed in two weeks before. Terrible car and service. We’ll never use Zipcar again.

Zipcar Company Information