2.48/5
Based on 46 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

69 Viking River Cruises Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 9, 2018

Nice crew, BAD room - Nobody told us that rooms in the rear of the ship would be sub par due to engine noise and vibrations. We paid the same as people in the front of the engines. I complained and was told someone with Viking would get back to you, but a month later, no one called.

Viking River Cruises response

We appreciate you reaching out to us, John, and regret to learn of this disappointing experience. While we’re sorry to hear that you have not been contacted about this matter, we invite you to reach out to us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. Once we receive your correspondence through that outlet, we will connect you with a seasoned agent who will contact you and address your concerns. We hope to hear from you there. John, and wish you well.

Resolution response: June 10, 2018

Viking Customer Relations later reviewed my complaint and has resolved my issue with their Air department to my satisfaction. Based on my experience, I would not hesitate to book travel with Viking in the future. Viking came through and was very responsive to my concerns, and worked with me to resolve my fare discrepancy. I very much look forward to my Homelands Ocean cruise in August. Thank you Viking!

Original review: June 8, 2018

I just booked a Viking Ocean Cruise, including Air. Viking significantly overcharges for Air, despite advertising a false $500 discount if you book roundtrip air directly from Viking. BUYER BEWARE!!! After I received my booked air itinerary of which you have no control of carrier choice, I checked with the airline directly and was quoted a much lower fare. Obviously, Viking is overcharging for Air at the time of booking. Customer service was not responsive when I called to complain and defended their overcharging policy, saying, "I should have known that at time of booking, I may be overcharged for booking air through Viking." I will never book a cruise with Viking again.

Viking River Cruises response

We're happy to see that your situation was resolved after speaking with our agents. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to restore your faith in traveling with us. We appreciate you taking the time to revise this review to reflect this amicable outcome, Catherine. Wishing you a lovely day.

Get expert buying tips about River Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2018

We booked our Rhine Getaway a year ago and just returned home. We had a flawless trip. Everything went smoothly, We booked the air thru Viking but also chose to pay the extra $50 each to be able to have a say in our flights. This was very nice. It gave us options that you don't get otherwise. I would recommend it. The flight over was suppose to have a connecting flight to Amsterdam, but within a month they changed the flight to another time and it was therefore a nonstop flight! Yea for us! Our return flight was changed also after a month or so and we were to depart at 7 Am from Basel to Amsterdam to the US. I did not want early of a departure and got it changed without any problem. Again, we had paid the extra money to be able to make these changes. It was worth it.

The trip itself was flawless, George our program director was fabulous. He worked hard to make everyone had a great journey. We had the best food we could ever have expected, they will make it to your liking. The rooms were large enough for a week, we had not problems. The staff is prompt in getting rooms ready every day and night. The waiters and waitresses were so helpful and friendly. Got to know many of them quite well and formed a fun bond with them. The side excursions are well planned and the buses are so comfortable. We had on each excursion what they call a QuietVox, that each guest gets to wear so you can hear what the guide is saying no matter where you stand. It's an earpiece and receiver you wear while on the excursion. So nice! If you have a hard time hearing, especially from the back of the group you can hear every word they say!

I can not think of ONE thing that I would suggest to them to change. The price we paid was the 2 for one pricing and though it is a high price at even that rate, we feel like we got the best trip we could have gotten. We tipped over what was suggested at the end of the trip and if you think about what you leave for a usual tip after a dinner out, it is not unreasonable. These people work hard for you! We truly appreciated the service throughout the trip. I could go on and on. But will end with this: Ask questions to a representative and if you don't get answers to your questions, then ask for another person to speak to. We had a great experience and we will be going again with Viking!

Viking River Cruises response

We're delighted to hear that after a year of waiting, the Rhine Getaway was worth it, Susan. Your recognition of our diligent crew throughout the ship is very much appreciated; from waitstaff, to program director, it was our pleasure to serve you. Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with our Air services, and that the headsets helped to immerse you in culture during your tours at port. Thank you for the kind review, Susan. We hope you'll join us for a future adventure someday!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have been on many cruises and this was the absolute best! We cruised down the Rhine River and were just amazed at the beauty we saw! The staff of the Viking were the most professional, helpful staff we’ve ever encountered. The accommodations were great, the food was outstanding, but the staff made all the difference! We went on many adventures during the cruise and met lots of interesting folks! Worth every penny!

Viking River Cruises response

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your Rhine river cruise adventure with us, Deb. Thank you for stopping by to recognize our hard-working crew and their attentive service. We're happy to hear the overall cruise value, dining offerings, and scenic beauty made your trip one to remember. You are so kind to pass along your experience. We hope to welcome you back for another beautiful voyage someday!

Original review: May 27, 2018

I saw a lot of prior reviews about issues with airline bookings. We had NONE. We are from Canada. Maybe that is the difference. This was my first cruise, and I have only positive memories of it. Special thank you to all the crew, Gary our program director, Galine (not spelled right) took special care of us on the Aquavit deck for breakfast every day, Very kind Veronika went that extra mile for my mom. Daniela from housekeeping. Took very good care of us. Marta who ran a very tight ship at all times, in the dining room. Very profession kind staff at all times. I saw every attention to detail. Simple things like leaving a bookmark for our books. I was constantly attended to. Transportation was never an issue. We were always taken care of. Where the previous negatives reviews come from. I have no idea. Will travel sometime in the future again.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Shelley. We are delighted to hear that our crew and staff went above and beyond to take good care of you and the rest of the passengers. Furthermore, we are thrilled to hear that we will be welcoming you aboard once more in the future! If you’d like to provide additional comments about your experience, you are welcome to do so at TellUs@vrc.com. We appreciate your accolade, Shelley, and wish you a lovely day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking Cruises?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 26, 2018

We booked Waterways of the Czars via phone after receiving brochure in mail. Agent took our deposit by asking for credit card. No mention of discount if we did e-check. We left on another cruise and arrived home with e mails that payment was due but had not had time to open them before receiving a phone call early morning after our return from Viking wanted credit card number, different or same. I told them to use same. Then, I opened over a dozen emails that accumulated during trip with note we could echeck this $9000 balance and receive 3% discount. My fault I had time to open emails but agent did not mention opportunity to e-check just wanted credit card. I called and was told credit charge could be reversed, $15 per person charge and gave bank information for e-check.

Another email said it didn't go through so I called again. Was RUDELY told I couldn't change and avail of the 3% and to leave the charge on credit card at full price. I repeated the conversation that I had been told it would be done and was told "We are all human, we make mistakes" and "You should have e-checked from the beginning." Don't make excuses or reprimand me. I am the customer. I told Viking I will take their miserable trip but to remove me from all email and snail mail solicitation. They print the 3% offer in small print at bottom of invoice. Agents do not offer it at purchase. We took Grand European with them in 2015 and I was bored but my husband liked it. NO MORE VIKING. THEIR PERSONNEL MISREPRESENT WHAT THEY WILL DO. OTHERS TALK DOWN TO YOU.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for taking the time to reach out, Jean. We’re sorry to hear that your booking process experience has been anything less than pleasant. To look into your case in more detail, please email us at TellUs@VikingCruises.com with your booking information. We look forward to hearing from you, and wish you a lovely day.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 23, 2018

My last cruise was great except when I went for the high sea, they told me that there was no more left, there was still 20 minutes left, oh well! The best is my flight got canceled from Toronto to Halifax when we were still in Barcelona! Due to weather? This is 12 hours prior! Get to Toronto, we go to these phones, no answer from Air Canada.

We try to get flights, thanks to the Air Canada USA agents!!! Had to stay overnight, quite the event to get to hotel, which was not covered by Air Canada. Next morning, I head out to get on standby, I'm told from fellow passengers that our flight is now canceled, this is at 5:30 am. Seriously! Viking only refunded me $100, for my expenses. Air Canada treated us like ** because we booked through Viking. I got out cause I would pay, he let me go on standby! The funny thing is there was plenty of space on the plane.

Viking River Cruises response

Hello, Donna. While we’re delighted to hear that your last cruise with us was great, we regret to learn that you experienced some difficulties with the flights home. Should you be interested, we welcome you to contact us at TellUs@VikingCruises.com, where we may discuss this matter further. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns, Donna, and look forward to hearing from you through that outlet.

Original review: May 22, 2018

The travel pros at Viking may book multiple layovers and faulty connections, so beware, fellow globetrotters. We live in San Francisco near 3 major airports, so Viking flew us directly north to Seattle (2.5-hour flight) where we sat for 3.0 hours (rendering us 5.5 hours into our trip, no closer to our destination). Woohoo. My fault for trusting the pros at Viking to book proper flights. (Teeth clenched, laughing.) Then (then) Viking booked us on a 45-minute connection in (wait for it) huge and bustling Frankfurt, giving us only 45 minutes to disembark a massive plane (took 20), board a shuttle (took 10), cross the tarmac (took 5), walk into the terminal (took 5), make it through passport control (took 20), and then make it to another terminal to catch the flight (took 10). Needless to say the flight took off without us (boo hoo) and we had to wait 4 hours for the next flight. All pro, Viking, all pro.

When I complained about this by email, the Viking Air rep retorted (I cannot write this without chuckling) that we received vouchers for lunch, as if that were proper compensation for 4 hours of cooling our already cooled heels. She was correct. We did receive vouchers after waiting in line an hour to receive them (we waited because we had, well, FOUR hours and we thought we'd actually get vouchers for, well, lunch). The generous vouchers were a whopping 10 Euros each, which covered two beers. Yippee. Prost! We finally landed, but Viking did not greet us at the airport when we reached our destination (24 hours later for what should be about 11 hours, so again, all pro, Viking) so we caught a cab (no big deal).

When we arrived at the hotel, Viking staff greeted us with, "Hello! Welcome! We wondered what happened to you." Lovely. Great service. The reps did not want to hear our complaints and our all-too-common-sense explanation that Viking had booked us on similar flights going home (meaning they needed to change the flights so we were not stuck in airports needlessly again), instructing us to tell the staff on board the ship. We did just that, and on-board staff replied, together with blank stares, that they did not handle flights but would email Viking (kick that can forward), to which Viking replied that they could upgrade us to first class for an extra $4,000. OMG. It went downhill from there. Each day of our cruise we participated in the Viking circus known as "customer service" to almost (almost) no avail.

I must mention one laughable email that I received from a Viking rep in California, asking me to give her a call that day or the next. Yes, dear travel expert, I will pop on to the phone in remote Russia (no connection) in a different time zone (waking at any odd hour) to call you to explain to you how to do your job. Wait. Wait. I have to mention one more thing. I love (love!) how the replies to these online reviews note that the writer has been in touch with customer service. Really? Really? So that is a thing? Viking actually has customer service? Can you please reply with a name and number of a human being (and not a department) who will not kick the can forward and actually provide an intelligent explanation about our flights and a full day of our much-needed vacation that was wasted? I think quite a few other passengers on our cruise would like to know, as well, so thanks.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for this detailed account, Mo. We regret to hear you encountered delays during air travel, and would appreciate the opportunity to address your disappointment. While we'd like to provide a direct number, additional details are needed to determine the most appropriate party to assist. Kindly email your booking information to TellUs@VikingCruises.com, and we'll arrange for a member of our Customer Relations team to contact you. We look forward to your email, Mo, and wish you the best.

Original review: May 22, 2018

My wife and I have taken two Viking ship cruises (Caribbean and Barcelona to the Baltic) and are very pleased with the trips, except for last minute airline changes. However, I write to warn customers that on two occasions Viking made incorrect charges. They charged our credit card twice for the final bill on one cruise. They tried to say that one charge was just a temporary hold and the other was the real charge but that was not correct. They reversed one of the charges but if we had not been vigilant we might have paid twice.

The other was a little sneaky. We agreed to the e-check payment to get a 3.3% discount. The discount should have been $672.41. I had calculated it in advance. When the final payment was processed, the discount given was $611.28. I almost didn't say anything but realized this was going to happen to every passenger that used the e-check payment system. I called Viking and the agent confirm the discount of $611.28. He placed me on hold for a long time and when he returned to the phone he said that the discount had been “corrected” and wanted to know if I received the invoice that had just been sent out. He said that the invoice reflected the $672.41 discount.

Of course it did. But it would not have been correct if I had not called. More importantly, this discount is not calculated by hand. It is programmed to give a 3% discount instead of the 3.3% discount. I am concerned about this duplicity and its effect on other passengers as well as the integrity of Viking. I ask Viking look into this matter and give the full discount to other passengers that have been over-charged. Viking's response was that it never happened and since it was "corrected" before a statement was sent out and I didn't have a screenshot of the "error," I couldn't prove that it ever happened. I am very disappointed in Viking.

Viking River Cruises response

We’re happy to hear your ocean cruises with us have been enjoyable overall, Jay, however it is regrettable to hear you’ve encountered some snags during your payment process. We appreciate you taking the time to give this detailed account, and invite you to email us at TellUs@VikingCruises.com to give us the opportunity to address any lingering concerns you may have. We look forward to hearing from you, Jay, and wish you a great day.

Original review: May 11, 2018

We took the China Yantze River + land tour 16-day tour from Shanghai to Beijing (4/10-4/26/18) and all I can say is that the overall experience is "frustrating" and "disappointed". Key points: 1. Booked almost one year earlier and paid almost double the price of some fellow travellers since, unable to fill the space, Viking put the trip on sale about 2 months before the sailing date. Without price guarantee, we will be deterred from booking early with Viking in the future. 2. The river cruise ship is not Viking ship, but only a local Chinese-company run ship chartered by Viking during the season. Needless to say, the quality of the ship is way way below "Viking" standards.

3. Cabin very very tiny (with 6 inches of closet space, good for three hangers), plus old and smelly bathroom! Further, pretty much all public area is occupied by vendors selling souvenirs...etc... Can hardly find a space to sit around and read, besides the bar and lounge area for drink. The ship staff is quite attentive though, and the food provided on ship is good. 4. Bothersome and too much tipping requirements - Viking has suggested each traveller, while on board, to pay the ship service staff (of course), the local tour escort and driver, plus your own tour escort ($15+$5+10 per day per person.) As per Viking brochure, each day each person is expected to pay $30 tips (or $60 per day per couple). This is almost European standards or more.

5. On the 10-night land tour: a. Bus contracted is old and worn out; b. Too few arrangements for excursions, e.g. we spent two nights in Xi'an, and the only destination is to visit Terracotta Warriors museum, plus an optional dancing show. Did not even get to see the city itself, as the hotel is outside the city wall; c. The food quality from the local restaurants is just bad, cheap and unsanitary (6 to 8 people got ill from the food), worse than food provided by local low-fare tour group. If Viking is unwilling to spend money on the food during excursions, might as well put the travellers on their own for meals; instead of giving us such garbage to eat. It is an insult!

d. Tour escorts require further professional trainings. We are out there to learn about the place, historically, geographically and culturally, not to listen to his/her personal story and how to pass a driving test in China, plus pro-Government political talks. e. Local family visitation is nonsense, as it is "sample" family for foreign tourists to see. The whole trip does not live up to its marketed high-end tour and its price tag.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent cruise and land tour, Franklin. We’re sorry to hear that the ship, itinerary and land tour food did not meet expectation. We would like to learn more about your concerns and invite you to email us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com with your booking information so that we can connect you with a Customer Relations agent to address your review in further detail. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you a lovely day.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 9, 2018

Wish I could give negative stars because 1 star is VERY generous! Viking Cruises is a sad excuse of a company & are complete scams. Seeing all of these reviews makes me so sick to my stomach that I didn't research before booking a cruise with these folks. We were excited to book due to the fact that they had a 2 for 1 special for a Limited Time Offer. Get this - every single brochure they send HAS THE SAME OFFER! Scam artist trick number 1. We booked our trip and our travel agent (I will not include his name here but that can easily be provided), told us if we were in need of canceling our trip we would only be charged $100 per person. Come to find out this was ALSO a lie.

We needed to cancel our trip due to a death in the family and were shocked to find out they charged us $898.00 to cancel about 20 days after booking. We thought maybe we missed something in the paperwork or our travel agent was a rookie - but NOPE! In the terms & conditions of cancellations it lays out the cancellation date schedule and the charges that would apply. If it is 121 days or less each passenger would be charged $100.00. We reached out to Viking multiple times to no response, not surprised. They are eager to sell but when it comes time to taking care of their customers that could potentially book again, they disappear. I'm not sure if Viking Cruises is confused, needs a new team to rewrite their contract, or that they truly are thieves, but this is NO WAY to treat your customers.

We have filed a dispute and have all documents again pointing to the fact that we canceled less than 121 days and that we would only be charged $100 dollars per person. I am not going down without a fight because I know my rights as a consumer. This is despicable, wrong, and a very crooked way to run this so called luxury business. I just want to make anyone and everyone aware that are considering booking with Viking that there are far better and more customer service friendly cruises out there. Do your research so you don't have to deal with these frustrations. Please note - this has been dragged out since January 29th and it is now almost mid May. What a joke.

Viking River Cruises response

Ms. Tourkman, we are sorry to hear that you won’t be joining us aboard this autumn, and extend our condolences for your loss. The travel protection you purchased is, like most insurance premiums, non-refundable. However, it looks like you have been in contact with a Customer Relations Agent and that a resolution has been reached. Nevertheless, should you wish to resume this conversation, we welcome you to email us at TellUs@vrc.com. We appreciate your understanding and wish you a lovely day.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I'll start by saying that the Viking Star ship is a beautiful ship. Unfortunately, the attractiveness of the ship was the only good thing about our January 2018 Southern Mediterranean cruise. The room staff did not re-stock the mini bar on any day of the cruise even though we paid extra for this service, they barged in at all times even when we had the do not disturb sign out one time resulting in a very embarrassing confrontation, the food at the specialty restaurants was of poor quality and the service there was so slow paced as to be annoying. I like a relaxing meal but 2 hours for a 3 course dinner will try the patience of any passenger.

In addition, we were subjected to unsafe sailing conditions with no good justification other than the fact that the cruise had a schedule to keep. The captain stated that conditions were unsafe to dock in Sardinia so he decided instead to have us at sea in > 16 foot waves, a choice that is justified only by the cruise lines desire to maintain a schedule, not passenger safety. I can go on at greater length with many other criticisms but I merely wanted to have my voice heard by the cruise line in this forum because the 2 arrogant customer service reps, one named Rex, have dismissed my complaints as frivolous and offered me a mere $1,000 credit on a future cruise as compensation.

In my opinion this offer is an insult given the number and magnitude of the service failures that we experienced. It's really too bad, because as I said the ship is beautiful, probably the nicest ship I've cruised on. But the cruise was the worst experience overall that I've ever experienced at sea and a $1,000 voucher is both inadequate compensation and hardly an inducement to get me to sail with Viking again.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Mr. Bollwage. Rest assured, we hear your concerns and have forwarded your comments to management. Furthermore, our records indicate that you have been in close contact with our Customer Relations Department. Should you have any additional comments or wish to resume the conversation, we invite you to email us at TellUs@vrc.com. Wishing you a lovely day.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I am relieved to see that I am not the only one who had an awful experience booking airfare through Viking. As a long-time admirer of Viking advertisements, I could not have been more excited to book my first Viking cruise. Unfortunately, it appears that all that glitters is not gold. Upon booking my July 2018 cruise in January, I was assured that I would receive non-stop flights, as I am traveling from New York. We paid $2,190 per person for premium economy seats. Much to my dismay, I logged into my Viking Journey recently to see that I had layovers in Germany on both my departing and returning flights. I spent a large portion of my evening on the phone with Viking, but nothing could be done. I ended up canceling my flights with Viking and rebooking them myself. Not only did I find cheaper premium economy flights, but my flight to Rome is now nonstop.

If only I had known that Viking would book such inconvenient travel for its customers, I could have booked these flights myself in January. Not only would I have saved even more money, but I am sure that I could have found the return flight direct as well. I suggest Viking advise its customers that they have the option of booking their own airfare, as it was not pointed out to me. Now, not only has there been a strain put on my travel, but my opinion on Viking has soured and I have not yet even stepped foot on the ship.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for outlining your feedback, Melanie, on this aspect of the Viking Experience. We regret your disenchantment with your flight itinerary, however are grateful for this opportunity to collect your comments. We appreciate your suggestions for clarification and have passed them along for review by management. Should you wish to discuss any lingering concerns, it would be our pleasure to connect you with a Viking Specialist at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. We look forward to sailing with you.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I am totally dismayed and disappointed by the inept handling of the air arrangements purchased through Viking. We expected to fly out tomorrow morning, so today should have been a fun, exciting, day enjoying the anticipation of our departure for a two week river cruise. However, as an unfortunate result of the lack of communication between Viking and their partner airlines (Icelandair and JetBlue) I’ve been stuck on the phone for hours trying to resolve why we can’t get checked in for our flight. Despite my efforts, there’s still no solution from the “experts”, and I’m left on my own to hopefully sort this out at the airport. I wish I had never booked this trip with Viking.

Viking River Cruises response

Catherine, thank you for alerting us to the situation you have described regarding your airline check in. Our records indicate that you have been in close contact with our Air Department to discuss airline carrier check-in processes. Because we are interested in hearing your feedback, we have arranged for a Customer Relations Agent to contact you upon your return home. Looking forward to connecting. Have a great day!

Original review: April 25, 2018

My wife and I have taken four river cruises with Viking and one ocean cruise. We currently have two more river cruises booked and plan at least another river and ocean cruise to follow these. Viking has been nothing short of fantastic. Our only glitch came at the end of a last minute booking. At disembarkation, the ship hadn't been notified of our having opted for Viking Air.

Viking immediately made good on this and provided our transportation to the airport for our flight home. At the end of a cruise, we feel as if we've become friends with all our fellow passengers but somehow we feel as if we've made the greatest connection and formed the deepest relationship with the crew. They have all been fantastic, the food sumptuous, the accommodations wonderful and the scenery stunning. I recommend Viking to everyone and I recommend it to you! Also, any time you get a chance to attend a traditional folk dinner ashore, take it. The food is great and they're a ton of fun!

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience cruising with us. We’re so happy to hear that the mishap with your airport transfer was resolved in a timely manner, and that you enjoyed all aspects of your trip, from the world exploration to connecting further with our Viking family. It truly was our pleasure cruising with you and we eagerly await welcoming you aboard again!

Original review: April 13, 2018

While we were extremely happy with our Viking Ocean and River cruises, the refund policy on a cancelled cruise borders on illegal! Please note; you are NOT notified of the cancellation costs until AFTER the cruise is booked!! Cancellation dates/fees are listed on the documents received AFTER booking! I've been battling for 2 months over $200 and have been told, "Too bad!!!" Still working with our credit card company...

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for contacting us, Nadean. We regret to hear of the difficulties that you are experiencing while cancelling your cruise. If you are interested in discussing your cancellation refund, please contact our Customer Relations support line at 877-523-0579. We hope you have a lovely weekend.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Travelled on the River Douro cruise. The trip was booked as a package with the airline Brussels Airlines. Problems with the airline meant we arrived late and missed 2 full days of a 10 day cruise. Viking completely abdicated all responsibility for the missing 2 days of the cruise, even though it was booked as a package and had no interest in engaging with us. Will never use this company again after this appalling experience.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Jason. We regret to hear that problems with the airline caused a delay in your arrival to the ship. To better understand your situation, please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com with your comments and your booking information. This way, we can arrange for a Customer Relations Agent to contact you by phone to address your concerns. We hope to hear from you through that outlet, and wish you a lovely day.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I have just returned from the Douro River Cruise in Portugal. There were some issues with the cruise with the water level of the river, but Viking handled these as best they could. My complaint is about the airline reservations. I booked this cruise and the flight, but was unable to get seats assigned. I was redirected from Viking Air to Air Canada to Lufthansa and to Tap. I was told that I would not be able to get seats assigned until 23 hours before boarding but they would note that I wanted a window seat and the one next to it. I was finally able to get two seats reserved in the first flight, but not on the other three. The unpleasantness started when we checked in at Porto.

We had seats on the Porto to Frankfurt flight, but none were assigned on the flight from Frankfurt to Vancouver. After quite a delay, we were told it was resolved. I turned out the seats were in the middle of a row of four seats, row 36 seat E and F, about the worst seats one could encounter. Neither of us had direct access to an aisle. When I checked with Lufthansa in Frankfurt I was told that I would be able to upgrade to business for 499 Euros each. I was very disappointed with these arrangements and suggest Viking improve the manner in which flights are handled.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out to us, John. While we are delighted to hear that your cruise lived up to expectation, we regret to learn of the inconveniences that you experienced with your flights. To address this concerns directly, we would like to arrange for a Customer Relations agent to contact you. For that, please send us your comments and booking information at TellUs@vrc.com so we can connect you to a representative. We look forward to hearing from you, John, and wish you a lovely day.

Original review: March 26, 2018

This has been a very unpleasant experience, from trying to decipher what exactly the agent was telling me about upgrading my tickets, to when and what I had to do to make that happen. After waiting for an answer for a week, I went directly to the airline site to learn I was not booked in premier economy and did not have the seats I had requested (as in one of us was in a middle). I have been trying to straighten this out for about two weeks. I am promised someone will review, but instead after a few days of waiting I get another form email telling me to book the tickets (through Viking) and then the upgrade through United.

Now the tickets they are offering me will cost over $700 more than if I booked myself. I just want to be released from their $300 penalty and the booking and make my own flight arrangements. Since I didn't make the mistakes (and there were several others throughout the booking) I think this is a fair response. But try finding someone at Viking to address this. Booking number is Booking #**. I have already forwarded this information to the Viking address listed in the other responses...

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns directly, Ann. We are sorry to hear that your preparations are being deterred by an unpleasant experience with your flight arrangements. For your security, the website censors any personal information shared on this platform. To properly assist you, please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com with your booking number so we can connect you to an Air Service Specialist. We hope to hear from you via email, and wish you a lovely day.

Original review: March 25, 2018

In September 2017, my husband and I enthusiastically booked our second Viking River Cruise for the end of June 2018. We are booked on a Romantic Danube Cruise. We have just received the air itinerary for the first leg of our flight from Philadelphia to Budapest. When we booked and paid for the cruise and airfare, we asked to have aisle seats in the same row. Yesterday we received via email our air itinerary with our seat numbers that show us seated on opposite sides of the plane five seats apart. I’ve called American Airlines, then Viking, and they BOTH say that it is the others issue. We can only sit together if we spend another $200 for the flight. Viking, we booked this vacation to be together, after all, we’ve been married more than 40 years. It is your responsibility to seat us together.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out, Anne. We’re sorry to hear that your air itinerary does not meet your expectations, and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss a resolution. Please contact us at TellUs@VikingCruises.com with your booking number and we will connect you with a seasoned agent to review your air itinerary in detail. We look forward to speaking with you and hope you have a lovely day.

Original review: March 25, 2018

We sailed on the Viking Embla, on the "Grand European tour" November 2, 2017. It was the last trip of the year... And we felt like we got the bottom of the barrel. First thing was: The Viking booking agent got our number of bags wrong, and while we had no problems outbound, we ended up paying 120 Euro per the 2nd bag coming home. Second problem: We had veranda suite 324. NOBODY could figure out how to turn off the air blowing in my face night and day. Our poor sweet cabin steward did his best and even called a tech to come... And yet no change... SO I GOT SICK.

Third issue: I did not want to make anyone else sick so I requested some soup to be brought to my room. This was apparently a problem ALTHOUGH we laid out over 12,000.00. After insisting, it was begrudgingly done. NEXT: CHEF? REALLY? So I asked if maybe someone could saute me some garlic... Lol. What came out was some burnt little garlic chips. PITIFUL. NEXT: Maybe it was because it was the last trip. I had thought I might enjoy a bit of port, I think the 299.00 per person beverage thing is too extreme so I paid the 8.00 for an inch of port in a flute. Literally half of a shot glass. Three days later I thought I may want another. They this time charged me 3.00. HMMM good thing I didn't want any more as THEY DID NOT RESTOCK THE BAR the entire two weeks. I DID however see them get a few bottles of whisky from another Viking ship.

NEXT: repeating the menu. **MUST SAY: THE FOOD WAS ONE OF THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENTS** The soups were watery thin and nasty. The vegetables were the same over and over, the amount of food available on the Aquavit was never enough, Lord help you if you didn't stash away snacks. We finally just went ashore on our own and got some food for the room in case we got hungry. WHY SHOULD A GUEST HAVE TO GO BUY FOOD ON A CRUISE?? The menu items were repeated during the cruise. The second to the last night, the FISH SMELLED SO SO BAD WE HAD TO LEAVE THE DINING ROOM. The last night we went ashore in Budapest and found a place where the food did not STINK. We were LITERALLY AMAZED at how pitiful the food was. We were not alone in this. The people who booked the most expensive suite were just as disgusted as were we.

NEXT: DO NOT BELIEVE IT when they say things like "two days in Budapest" "plenty of time to explore". You will see a bazillion churches, clock towers, etc. The tour guides will do their best to ignore the holocaust, or talk of Nazi Germany. (Elephant in the room?) I had to have a talk with one of the tour guides. There was a lovely elderly lady who asked quietly when there would be a restroom available. The guide said twenty minutes. 50 minutes later, the poor woman could hold it no longer. WHERE IS THE RESPECT FOR THE ELDERLY? **MOST OF YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS ARE AMERICAN SENIORS!!** NEXT: They do not inform you ahead of time that the upper deck will be closed for 5/6 days. NOR do they inform you that if you are a smoker that they will put your area out in the freezing cold, slippery stairs and you will be lucky if you don't get pneumonia.

NEXT: Excursions... WAY too many hours. We did better just going out on our own. We did do some of both the paid and the free. A couple of times we had all of fifteen minutes FREE TIME... It was rushed and uncomfortable. The paid excursions were fine. I want to make this abundantly clear. THIS IS VIKING CORPORATE NOT THE CREW who busted their butts trying to make people happy. I finally figured out that the "galley" must be mostly frozen food. VERY PITIFUL. Here's another thing. I sat and watched the crew onloading crates of fresh broccoli and cauliflower. I saw them during the one fantastic effort called "Bavaria Night." Did they go? Not on any meals we ate...

NEXT: The PUSHING PUSHING PUSHING of TIPS and 200 off travel vouchers... It's insulting and offensive. We tipped large amounts TO THOSE WHO PROVIDED US SERVICE... You failed us. Our advice to anyone considering a Viking river cruise ** Just fly to Budapest. Save yourself thousands of dollars by avoiding Viking. Viking has repeatedly tried to contact me. I don't need to be offered the insult of a 200 voucher for another cruise or some corporate scripted conversation. Just be glad I didn't write this right after we arrived home. Used as decorations and... They were never seen again.

Viking River Cruises response

We appreciate both your feedback, and recognition of your hardworking cabin steward. It is disappointing to hear of your dissatisfaction with the food served onboard, the extra baggage charge, and tours. We’re also sorry to hear you felt the time spent at ports of call were misrepresented. Though we’ve attempted to reach you in the past to no avail, we hope you’ll give us an opportunity to regain your trust by contacting us at TellUs@VikingCruises.com. Wishing you all the best.

Original review: March 21, 2018

My husband and I, late 50s, took the Romantic Danube trip on the Gullveig May 27, 2017. It was the best trip I can remember. We were in a veranda suite which was wonderful. The service was amazing, the food was always good (even for a small ship), and the overall ambiance was so relaxing. The "free" tours were excellent, and Viking left plenty of time to explore on your own. The extended tours were also very good. We booked directly with Viking and included the airfare, and booked flights that worked for us. While the CDG airport was not pleasant (bomb scare on the return flight!) That was not the fault of Viking. As some mentioned on other forums, once the flight was ticketed I upgraded myself to a higher class for more legroom. We did not do the extended trips, but other friends that went with us did, and said they were very good.

A few special touches: 1) The cabin bed was very comfortable! I am a stickler for a good bed. 2) Twice daily room service was wonderful! 3) Laundry service (free for our stateroom) was so very nice - clothes arrived back in a beautiful box, pressed and folded better than I do at home! 4) I am picky about my beverage glasses - Viking served from Reidel, which made me very happy. 5) We chose the "Silver Spirit's" package for beverages, and if you enjoy a glass of wine before dinner or after dinner drinks, it is worth it.

A few things to remember: Research and be prepared! We were aware that at times we might be docked next to other riverboats. That was fine - we would still go sit on the terrace :-) But in reality you are out having so much fun outside the boat during the day. You really don't spend a lot of time on the terrace. Another thing: Research when the rivers might be high or low and pick the time that is least likely to have a situation that would keep the boats from moving down the river. Viking does not control the tides. If you go when the river can be high or low, be prepared that you may have to depart, then get back on another boat up the river. Also - know that this is a SMALL boat with not much entertainment like a big cruise ship. I loved it! Overall, we LOVED our Viking River Cruise so much that we booked an Italy ocean cruise, and I can't wait!

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for your detailed review. We are pleased to hear that your cruise was thoroughly enjoyed, from your stateroom amenities, to the itinerary and beyond. Your tips and advice are appreciated by the fellow cruisers as they prepare for their upcoming voyages. While our ocean cruises differ from river cruising in many aspects, please expect to enjoy the full Viking experience. Thank you for traveling with Viking Cruises, and we are excited to have yet another adventure together!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Well, I have booked a Viking River Cruise with the included airfare. At the time I booked, I could did not know the airfare arrangements. I was told they would be ticketed in a couple of weeks. I gave them what type of seats I preferred. I paid for the trip in full by the deadline. Later the airfare was ticketed and I found it on the "My Viking Journey" site and it was NOT acceptable. But I am told there is nothing that can be done about it without paying extra. I have not even started my trip and I am already unhappy. I canNOT get assigned seats without pay extra on some legs. On my 11 hour flight from home to Frankfurt, I cannot get a seat assignment at all until 23 hours before boarding. The shorter legs want 11.00 per person to choose a seat for an hour flight. I was NOT informed of this policy.

The big thing is leaving Munich to come home, we leave at 8 AM. The ship is in Passau. We are going to have to get up like 2 AM to make that flight I would think. There is another flight at 11:55 with the same flying time and layover time. I was told a computer chose the best flights. Yeh, right! For who, the airline??? I think the customer SHOULD be able to know their flight arrangements before paying for the cruise. I also think we should have assigned seats or be told that we will NOT have assigned seats! I am told Vikings Cruises are the best and will pamper you. Well, their transportation to and from leaves a lot to be desired! I will of course (in fairness) will add another review after the cruise to let you know how it was.

But in the meantime, BEWARE of their airline arrangements make when booking with Viking and including the airfare!!! I am VERY unhappy. Don't think I would have gone this route had I known all this upfront!! I would have probably gone with another company where I would know my flight arrangements and have assigned seats.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for contacting us, Adrienne. We regret to hear of your disappointment with your flight itinerary, and have arranged for a Customer Relations Agent to contact you and discuss you case in detail. We look forward to speaking with you and wish you a wonderful day.

Resolution response: March 18, 2018

Viking River Cruises acceptably and very quickly worked with our travel agent to resolve our complaint. They explained that our flight schedule changes were unavoidably the result of the airline canceling our original return flights, and that a communication was sent to our travel agent immediately following the flight change. Viking River Cruises has worked with us and our travel agent to make sure we found the most convenient alternate flights possible since the airline no longer offered the originally booked flights. We appreciate the Viking River Cruise team's efforts in investigating and resolving our concerns so very quickly.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I recently booked a Viking River Cruise for me and my family. During the booking process, we worked through our travel agent to secure flights which were agreeable and convenient for my family. However, the Viking River Cruise team modified our return flights approximately one month after the original booking, without even notifying my family or our travel agent of significant changes which Viking River Cruises made to our return flights.

My family and I noticed, a month after we had agreed upon a flight schedule with our travel agent, that Viking River Cruises had made a change to our return flights without our knowledge or approval. The flights were no longer the flights we had agreed upon. Our return flights were changed to a MUCH less convenient set of flights with an extremely early (7:20 AM) flight departure time, and our return flights home now involved two layovers instead of a single layover.

As one would expect, the fact that Viking River Cruises made air travel changes without even so much as notifying us or our travel agent is concerning. The fact that they changed our return flights to flights which were so very inconvenient for us and our elderly parents is even more concerning. Since extremely early flight departure times and additional layovers are nearly always associated with lower airfare, it seems likely that Viking River Cruises made the above described flight changes with the goal of reducing cost, even though we had previously agreed upon much more favorable flight arrangements.

Again, the most troubling aspect of the flight changes is associated with the fact that Viking River Cruises did not notify us of the changes, let alone seek our approval of the changes. We were left to notice the flight changes on our own through the My Viking Journey portal. Nearly any customer would find the customer service we have received from Viking River Cruises regarding our flight arrangements to be absolutely unacceptable.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out, Scott. We are sorry to hear that your air itinerary was changed without notice, and would love to learn the details of your case. Please email us your booking information at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so we can connect you to a Customers Relations Agent to discuss your options. We look forward to hearing from you, and hope you have a wonderful day.

Resolution response: March 1, 2018

Viking did contact me and refunded the cost of the trip insurance. Upping the review to 3 stars - it was resolved, but it took a lot of effort to do it. Lena was very helpful, I wish I had gotten a hold of her at the start.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Told I must eat $1038 in trip insurance I said I did not want - In talking with Viking to set up my cruise, I indicated that I did not want trip insurance - even verified via email the cost of the trip without insurance. I then booked the cruise - required a deposit within a few days, then fully payment by February 28. I logged into their website to pay my deposit - unfortunately, I did not look at the invoice, just used their online payment tool. A few weeks later when I went to make final payment, I finally looked at the invoice and discovered the trip insurance was on there.

I contacted Viking right away to let them know of the mistake and request an updated invoice so I could make my final payment. I was told it was "too late" - that the moment I had made my deposit it was too late (even though I had requested no trip insurance). I provided my Viking with the email saying I didn't want trip insurance, and my travel consultant discussed it with his supervisor. Nope, sorry. So I asked to escalate the issue. They said I would get a call yesterday (didn't happen), then said I would get a call today (didn't happen). So, I will be cancelling my trip, and fighting after the fact to get the cost of the trip insurance back.

Terrible treatment of customers.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for communicating your concerns, Deborah. It pains us to hear that this mishap in your booking process could ultimately cause the cancellation of your planned vacation with us. However, we understand your frustration, and would like to learn the details of your experience. Please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so we can review your case and connect you to a seasoned Customer Relations Agent to discuss your options. We look forward to hearing from you, and wish you a lovely day.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

They put TripInsurance on my bill even though I didn't want it. It costs twice as much as other providers. Called to cancel but they said it was too late. Ended up canceling the entire trip and challenged the charge. Very shady.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Claude. We regret to hear that a miscommunication in your booking process caused the unwanted trip insurance charges to be added to your account, and ultimately, the cancellation of your planned trip with us. Please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so we can review your case and connect you to a Customer Relations Agent to discuss your experience. We look forward to hearing from you, and wish you a lovely day.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Doing business with Viking is a hassle. With electronic transfers, it’s hell! Our travel agent said electronic transfers would save us 3.3%. Little did we know that would trigger many hours of hard work trying to calculate how much to authorize Viking to take out of our bank account. What Viking didn’t say is that when you authorize them to transfer $1,000 they only take $967 out of your bank (3.3% less than $1,000).

You’d think your new Guest Statement would show the payment and your new balance due would be $1,000 less than before. No such luck! Viking’s Guest Statements don’t tabulate payments or rebates or calculate a new balance due. The $967 bank transfer and a $33 rebate don’t show as credits. Instead someone at Viking types those numbers into a comment that shows in fine print near the bottom of page two. You can’t use the Guest Statement to pay from.

So after you authorize the $1,000, what is your new balance due? Get out your calculators and put on your thinking cap! You and your travel agent must figure it out. Our Travel Agent was very helpful, but they had to work overtime to understand it from Viking and then explain it to me. Keep in mind Viking transfers 96.7% of your payment amount electronically but internally they seem to treat it as though it were 100%. Makes you wonder what Viking is trying to hide?

MyVikingJourney.com for your account will help you say? There is a Purchase History page that lists your transactions chronologically. Don’t get your hopes up. It will say, “Only items booked on MyVikingJourney are displayed.” I wonder why Viking does these strange things which are obviously stressing many of their guests.

Viking Management: Please show rebates and payments as credits on your Guest Statements and included them in calculating a balance due. If for some reason you want the Travel Agent to do this work then give them some example worksheets and a paragraph or two of explanation so they’ll know how to prepare an understandable bill to the guest(s).

Viking Guests: Think about paying with a credit card. You lose the 3.3% rebate but you might gain some of it back with your card’s rewards program. Also, having a credit card company might prove helpful if you need to resolve disputes, overcharges, cancelations, etc. We went ahead and used e-checks. Now Viking has our money and we don’t have a credit card company to help resolve problems that might arise.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Allan. We regret to hear of the difficulties that you are experiencing while booking via e-check, and would appreciate the opportunity to further look into your case. Kindly, please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com with your comments and booking information, to be connected with an agent who will be happy to assist you. We hope to hear from you soon, and wish you a lovely weekend.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

My family and I just returned from a river cruise with Viking called Christmas in Germany. From the first 5 minutes of my cruise until the end, the Viking staff made this trip unforgettable. First off, due to a late train trip from France that I had booked, we boarded the ship at 10:30 at night. We were immediately greeted by staff at check in who handled our baggage, showed us to our rooms and told us to freshen up and meet in the lounge for a meal. Even though no one was in the lounge at the time, the chef was summoned to make us a delicious hot meal to welcome us to the ship. Wine and beer was served complimentary and our cruise was off to a fantastic start.

From there, each day was filled with top quality service, great food and unforgettable travel experiences. What I really appreciated about the cruise was the attention to detail. Travelers who booked this cruise were there for the Christmas experience and Viking really delivered on it. The ship was tastefully decorated in the Holiday theme and before Christmas day, all ports included close access to Christmas Markets for gift shopping. As with all Viking's cruises, a complimentary tour in each port was also included. And these tours were not cheesy 20 minutes walking tours of the city. One tour was an all-day excursion to Heidelberg Castle with an included lunch. Another was of a quaint town with breweries, cathedrals and castles. On Christmas day, there was a city tour by motor coach ending in a fabulous wine tasting in a castle cellar by candlelight - truly unforgettable.

Each of the days around Christmas, Viking would have little gifts waiting for us in our staterooms at night. This made the holiday so special. I also appreciated how they made an extra stop along the river on Christmas Eve for those who wanted to attend Mass. Viking really thought of everything to make this holiday so special for me and my family. I found Viking to be top notch, totally dialed into what their customers wanted, and ready to deliver. I had absolutely no complaints. With what the cruise line includes (unlimited wi-fi, tours in each port, wine and beer included with each meal, excellent concierge service, extras included), I found the trip to be a fantastic value and will certainly be traveling with Viking again.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Beware of Viking on two fronts. This is the second Viking Cruise that we book - this time to the Mediterranean. At the time of booking we told the agent that we didn’t want airfare or trip insurance. Both showed up on the bill - we called and the guy said “Don’t worry - you can remove both later”. When the final bill came, my wife paid it without going thru it in detail. When I realized that the trip had both airfare and insurance I called immediately (same day) and told them I had already previously declined both. The answer - “Oh trip insurance is non-refundable!” - Surprise!! Spoke to a Supervisor and got the same answer - explained exactly what the agent said upon booking and “They are looking into it”.

Secondly they agreed to refund the airfare but said it would take 21 days! Really? We paid by account transfer which is essentially immediately - but Viking requires 21 days to refund. Completely and utterly ridiculous. I won’t even go into the attitude I had to deal with on the call with the agent. I will admit that the Supervisor I spoke to was very professional even though she was carrying the company line. My wife and I cruise a lot - this kind of thing HAS NEVER happened to me on other lines perhaps because we have status on other cruise lines. So I feel this was an intentional bait and switch. And the trip is one year away.

Dear Roger,

We regret to hear of the difficulties that you are experiencing with your booking process, and hope for the opportunity to assuage your concerns before your voyage with us. To connect you with a seasoned Customer Relations Representative who can assist you, please contact us at TellUs@vrc.com with your booking information.

We thank you for reaching out to us; we appreciate the chance to address your comments directly. We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Viking Cruises

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Viking changed our itinerary based on a State Department notice for a trip leaving in one week. The changes in the itinerary are unacceptable to us. The two ports that were changed were the whole reason for the trip. We would not have booked the cruise with this new itinerary. I contacted Viking. They told us basically that there was nothing they would do period. End of story. They show no sympathy and will not offer any type of refund. Although we have trip insurance all it will get only get us a voucher with Viking. Given their poor customer service we do not wish to stay with Viking Cruises. Please note to Viking, I understand there are safety concerns. However please do not reply with a form letter asking us to contact Viking since we already done this to no avail.

Dear John,

Given your frustration over the need to make changes to the itinerary for this sailing, we understand your disappointment and reluctance to contact us again. With that said, we do encourage you to reach out to us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com, where a seasoned agent can continue to have a conversation with you and discuss your specific needs. We hope to hear from you through that outlet, John, and look forward to continuing our dialogue with you.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises expert review by Michelle Baran

Viking River Cruises, which launched in 1997, has its U.S. headquarters in Los Angeles. It has more than 60 ships that cruise rivers all over the world and targets cruisers from the United States, Australia and the United Kingdom.

• New U.S. cruise focus: While Viking has long offered rivers cruises in destinations such as Russia, Europe and Egypt, it is gearing up to launch a river cruise on the Mississippi in the United States by the year 2018. New Orleans will be its American home port.

• Inclusiveness: Viking includes Wi-Fi service, hotel accommodations, daily excursions and port charges in its pricing.

• Longship: The nearly identical Viking Longships that Viking has been churning out by the dozen in Europe evoke a sleek Nordic design, are energy-efficient and have a large variety of room sizes, both with and without verandas.

• Wide range of itineraries: With the largest number of destinations of any river cruise line, Viking offers a cruise for nearly every part of the world.

• Value: Viking’s notorious 2-for-1 deals offer a great value for river cruisers.

• Best for: Viking River Cruises is best for older travelers.

Profile picture of Michelle Baran
Michelle Baran

River Cruises Contributing Editor

Michelle Baran is a senior editor at Travel Weekly, where she has been reporting on the travel and river cruise industries since 2007. Baran has also written about river cruising for Travel + Leisure, Travel + Leisure Southeast Asia and Budget Travel, and co-authored Frommer’s "EasyGuide to River Cruising.” She received her Masters in Journalism from Northwestern University.

Viking River Cruises Company Information