2.21/5

Last updated: April 13, 2018

54 Viking River Cruises Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Customer increased Rating by 3 stars! Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 13, 2018

While we were extremely happy with our Viking Ocean and River cruises, the refund policy on a cancelled cruise borders on illegal! Please note; you are NOT notified of the cancellation costs until AFTER the cruise is booked!! Cancellation dates/fees are listed on the documents received AFTER booking! I've been battling for 2 months over $200 and have been told, "Too bad!!!" Still working with our credit card company...

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for contacting us, Nadean. We regret to hear of the difficulties that you are experiencing while cancelling your cruise. If you are interested in discussing your cancellation refund, please contact our Customer Relations support line at 877-523-0579. We hope you have a lovely weekend.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 10, 2018

Travelled on the River Douro cruise. The trip was booked as a package with the airline Brussels Airlines. Problems with the airline meant we arrived late and missed 2 full days of a 10 day cruise. Viking completely abdicated all responsibility for the missing 2 days of the cruise, even though it was booked as a package and had no interest in engaging with us. Will never use this company again after this appalling experience.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Jason. We regret to hear that problems with the airline caused a delay in your arrival to the ship. To better understand your situation, please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com with your comments and your booking information. This way, we can arrange for a Customer Relations Agent to contact you by phone to address your concerns. We hope to hear from you through that outlet, and wish you a lovely day.

Get expert buying tips about River Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 1, 2018

I have just returned from the Douro River Cruise in Portugal. There were some issues with the cruise with the water level of the river, but Viking handled these as best they could. My complaint is about the airline reservations. I booked this cruise and the flight, but was unable to get seats assigned. I was redirected from Viking Air to Air Canada to Lufthansa and to Tap. I was told that I would not be able to get seats assigned until 23 hours before boarding but they would note that I wanted a window seat and the one next to it. I was finally able to get two seats reserved in the first flight, but not on the other three. The unpleasantness started when we checked in at Porto.

We had seats on the Porto to Frankfurt flight, but none were assigned on the flight from Frankfurt to Vancouver. After quite a delay, we were told it was resolved. I turned out the seats were in the middle of a row of four seats, row 36 seat E and F, about the worst seats one could encounter. Neither of us had direct access to an aisle. When I checked with Lufthansa in Frankfurt I was told that I would be able to upgrade to business for 499 Euros each. I was very disappointed with these arrangements and suggest Viking improve the manner in which flights are handled.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out to us, John. While we are delighted to hear that your cruise lived up to expectation, we regret to learn of the inconveniences that you experienced with your flights. To address this concerns directly, we would like to arrange for a Customer Relations agent to contact you. For that, please send us your comments and booking information at TellUs@vrc.com so we can connect you to a representative. We look forward to hearing from you, John, and wish you a lovely day.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 26, 2018

This has been a very unpleasant experience, from trying to decipher what exactly the agent was telling me about upgrading my tickets, to when and what I had to do to make that happen. After waiting for an answer for a week, I went directly to the airline site to learn I was not booked in premier economy and did not have the seats I had requested (as in one of us was in a middle). I have been trying to straighten this out for about two weeks. I am promised someone will review, but instead after a few days of waiting I get another form email telling me to book the tickets (through Viking) and then the upgrade through United.

Now the tickets they are offering me will cost over $700 more than if I booked myself. I just want to be released from their $300 penalty and the booking and make my own flight arrangements. Since I didn't make the mistakes (and there were several others throughout the booking) I think this is a fair response. But try finding someone at Viking to address this. Booking number is Booking #**. I have already forwarded this information to the Viking address listed in the other responses...

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns directly, Ann. We are sorry to hear that your preparations are being deterred by an unpleasant experience with your flight arrangements. For your security, the website censors any personal information shared on this platform. To properly assist you, please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com with your booking number so we can connect you to an Air Service Specialist. We hope to hear from you via email, and wish you a lovely day.

Original review: March 25, 2018

In September 2017, my husband and I enthusiastically booked our second Viking River Cruise for the end of June 2018. We are booked on a Romantic Danube Cruise. We have just received the air itinerary for the first leg of our flight from Philadelphia to Budapest. When we booked and paid for the cruise and airfare, we asked to have aisle seats in the same row. Yesterday we received via email our air itinerary with our seat numbers that show us seated on opposite sides of the plane five seats apart. I’ve called American Airlines, then Viking, and they BOTH say that it is the others issue. We can only sit together if we spend another $200 for the flight. Viking, we booked this vacation to be together, after all, we’ve been married more than 40 years. It is your responsibility to seat us together.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out, Anne. We’re sorry to hear that your air itinerary does not meet your expectations, and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss a resolution. Please contact us at TellUs@VikingCruises.com with your booking number and we will connect you with a seasoned agent to review your air itinerary in detail. We look forward to speaking with you and hope you have a lovely day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Viking River Cruises?

Original review: March 25, 2018

We sailed on the Viking Embla, on the "Grand European tour" November 2, 2017. It was the last trip of the year... And we felt like we got the bottom of the barrel. First thing was: The Viking booking agent got our number of bags wrong, and while we had no problems outbound, we ended up paying 120 Euro per the 2nd bag coming home. Second problem: We had veranda suite 324. NOBODY could figure out how to turn off the air blowing in my face night and day. Our poor sweet cabin steward did his best and even called a tech to come... And yet no change... SO I GOT SICK.

Third issue: I did not want to make anyone else sick so I requested some soup to be brought to my room. This was apparently a problem ALTHOUGH we laid out over 12,000.00. After insisting, it was begrudgingly done. NEXT: CHEF? REALLY? So I asked if maybe someone could saute me some garlic... Lol. What came out was some burnt little garlic chips. PITIFUL. NEXT: Maybe it was because it was the last trip. I had thought I might enjoy a bit of port, I think the 299.00 per person beverage thing is too extreme so I paid the 8.00 for an inch of port in a flute. Literally half of a shot glass. Three days later I thought I may want another. They this time charged me 3.00. HMMM good thing I didn't want any more as THEY DID NOT RESTOCK THE BAR the entire two weeks. I DID however see them get a few bottles of whisky from another Viking ship.

NEXT: repeating the menu. **MUST SAY: THE FOOD WAS ONE OF THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENTS** The soups were watery thin and nasty. The vegetables were the same over and over, the amount of food available on the Aquavit was never enough, Lord help you if you didn't stash away snacks. We finally just went ashore on our own and got some food for the room in case we got hungry. WHY SHOULD A GUEST HAVE TO GO BUY FOOD ON A CRUISE?? The menu items were repeated during the cruise. The second to the last night, the FISH SMELLED SO SO BAD WE HAD TO LEAVE THE DINING ROOM. The last night we went ashore in Budapest and found a place where the food did not STINK. We were LITERALLY AMAZED at how pitiful the food was. We were not alone in this. The people who booked the most expensive suite were just as disgusted as were we.

NEXT: DO NOT BELIEVE IT when they say things like "two days in Budapest" "plenty of time to explore". You will see a bazillion churches, clock towers, etc. The tour guides will do their best to ignore the holocaust, or talk of Nazi Germany. (Elephant in the room?) I had to have a talk with one of the tour guides. There was a lovely elderly lady who asked quietly when there would be a restroom available. The guide said twenty minutes. 50 minutes later, the poor woman could hold it no longer. WHERE IS THE RESPECT FOR THE ELDERLY? **MOST OF YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS ARE AMERICAN SENIORS!!** NEXT: They do not inform you ahead of time that the upper deck will be closed for 5/6 days. NOR do they inform you that if you are a smoker that they will put your area out in the freezing cold, slippery stairs and you will be lucky if you don't get pneumonia.

NEXT: Excursions... WAY too many hours. We did better just going out on our own. We did do some of both the paid and the free. A couple of times we had all of fifteen minutes FREE TIME... It was rushed and uncomfortable. The paid excursions were fine. I want to make this abundantly clear. THIS IS VIKING CORPORATE NOT THE CREW who busted their butts trying to make people happy. I finally figured out that the "galley" must be mostly frozen food. VERY PITIFUL. Here's another thing. I sat and watched the crew onloading crates of fresh broccoli and cauliflower. I saw them during the one fantastic effort called "Bavaria Night." Did they go? Not on any meals we ate...

NEXT: The PUSHING PUSHING PUSHING of TIPS and 200 off travel vouchers... It's insulting and offensive. We tipped large amounts TO THOSE WHO PROVIDED US SERVICE... You failed us. Our advice to anyone considering a Viking river cruise ** Just fly to Budapest. Save yourself thousands of dollars by avoiding Viking. Viking has repeatedly tried to contact me. I don't need to be offered the insult of a 200 voucher for another cruise or some corporate scripted conversation. Just be glad I didn't write this right after we arrived home. Used as decorations and... They were never seen again.

Viking River Cruises response

We appreciate both your feedback, and recognition of your hardworking cabin steward. It is disappointing to hear of your dissatisfaction with the food served onboard, the extra baggage charge, and tours. We’re also sorry to hear you felt the time spent at ports of call were misrepresented. Though we’ve attempted to reach you in the past to no avail, we hope you’ll give us an opportunity to regain your trust by contacting us at TellUs@VikingCruises.com. Wishing you all the best.

Original review: March 21, 2018

My husband and I, late 50s, took the Romantic Danube trip on the Gullveig May 27, 2017. It was the best trip I can remember. We were in a veranda suite which was wonderful. The service was amazing, the food was always good (even for a small ship), and the overall ambiance was so relaxing. The "free" tours were excellent, and Viking left plenty of time to explore on your own. The extended tours were also very good. We booked directly with Viking and included the airfare, and booked flights that worked for us. While the CDG airport was not pleasant (bomb scare on the return flight!) That was not the fault of Viking. As some mentioned on other forums, once the flight was ticketed I upgraded myself to a higher class for more legroom. We did not do the extended trips, but other friends that went with us did, and said they were very good.

A few special touches: 1) The cabin bed was very comfortable! I am a stickler for a good bed. 2) Twice daily room service was wonderful! 3) Laundry service (free for our stateroom) was so very nice - clothes arrived back in a beautiful box, pressed and folded better than I do at home! 4) I am picky about my beverage glasses - Viking served from Reidel, which made me very happy. 5) We chose the "Silver Spirit's" package for beverages, and if you enjoy a glass of wine before dinner or after dinner drinks, it is worth it.

A few things to remember: Research and be prepared! We were aware that at times we might be docked next to other riverboats. That was fine - we would still go sit on the terrace :-) But in reality you are out having so much fun outside the boat during the day. You really don't spend a lot of time on the terrace. Another thing: Research when the rivers might be high or low and pick the time that is least likely to have a situation that would keep the boats from moving down the river. Viking does not control the tides. If you go when the river can be high or low, be prepared that you may have to depart, then get back on another boat up the river. Also - know that this is a SMALL boat with not much entertainment like a big cruise ship. I loved it! Overall, we LOVED our Viking River Cruise so much that we booked an Italy ocean cruise, and I can't wait!

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for your detailed review. We are pleased to hear that your cruise was thoroughly enjoyed, from your stateroom amenities, to the itinerary and beyond. Your tips and advice are appreciated by the fellow cruisers as they prepare for their upcoming voyages. While our ocean cruises differ from river cruising in many aspects, please expect to enjoy the full Viking experience. Thank you for traveling with Viking Cruises, and we are excited to have yet another adventure together!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Well, I have booked a Viking River Cruise with the included airfare. At the time I booked, I could did not know the airfare arrangements. I was told they would be ticketed in a couple of weeks. I gave them what type of seats I preferred. I paid for the trip in full by the deadline. Later the airfare was ticketed and I found it on the "My Viking Journey" site and it was NOT acceptable. But I am told there is nothing that can be done about it without paying extra. I have not even started my trip and I am already unhappy. I canNOT get assigned seats without pay extra on some legs. On my 11 hour flight from home to Frankfurt, I cannot get a seat assignment at all until 23 hours before boarding. The shorter legs want 11.00 per person to choose a seat for an hour flight. I was NOT informed of this policy.

The big thing is leaving Munich to come home, we leave at 8 AM. The ship is in Passau. We are going to have to get up like 2 AM to make that flight I would think. There is another flight at 11:55 with the same flying time and layover time. I was told a computer chose the best flights. Yeh, right! For who, the airline??? I think the customer SHOULD be able to know their flight arrangements before paying for the cruise. I also think we should have assigned seats or be told that we will NOT have assigned seats! I am told Vikings Cruises are the best and will pamper you. Well, their transportation to and from leaves a lot to be desired! I will of course (in fairness) will add another review after the cruise to let you know how it was.

But in the meantime, BEWARE of their airline arrangements make when booking with Viking and including the airfare!!! I am VERY unhappy. Don't think I would have gone this route had I known all this upfront!! I would have probably gone with another company where I would know my flight arrangements and have assigned seats.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for contacting us, Adrienne. We regret to hear of your disappointment with your flight itinerary, and have arranged for a Customer Relations Agent to contact you and discuss you case in detail. We look forward to speaking with you and wish you a wonderful day.

Resolution response: March 18, 2018

Viking River Cruises acceptably and very quickly worked with our travel agent to resolve our complaint. They explained that our flight schedule changes were unavoidably the result of the airline canceling our original return flights, and that a communication was sent to our travel agent immediately following the flight change. Viking River Cruises has worked with us and our travel agent to make sure we found the most convenient alternate flights possible since the airline no longer offered the originally booked flights. We appreciate the Viking River Cruise team's efforts in investigating and resolving our concerns so very quickly.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I recently booked a Viking River Cruise for me and my family. During the booking process, we worked through our travel agent to secure flights which were agreeable and convenient for my family. However, the Viking River Cruise team modified our return flights approximately one month after the original booking, without even notifying my family or our travel agent of significant changes which Viking River Cruises made to our return flights.

My family and I noticed, a month after we had agreed upon a flight schedule with our travel agent, that Viking River Cruises had made a change to our return flights without our knowledge or approval. The flights were no longer the flights we had agreed upon. Our return flights were changed to a MUCH less convenient set of flights with an extremely early (7:20 AM) flight departure time, and our return flights home now involved two layovers instead of a single layover.

As one would expect, the fact that Viking River Cruises made air travel changes without even so much as notifying us or our travel agent is concerning. The fact that they changed our return flights to flights which were so very inconvenient for us and our elderly parents is even more concerning. Since extremely early flight departure times and additional layovers are nearly always associated with lower airfare, it seems likely that Viking River Cruises made the above described flight changes with the goal of reducing cost, even though we had previously agreed upon much more favorable flight arrangements.

Again, the most troubling aspect of the flight changes is associated with the fact that Viking River Cruises did not notify us of the changes, let alone seek our approval of the changes. We were left to notice the flight changes on our own through the My Viking Journey portal. Nearly any customer would find the customer service we have received from Viking River Cruises regarding our flight arrangements to be absolutely unacceptable.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out, Scott. We are sorry to hear that your air itinerary was changed without notice, and would love to learn the details of your case. Please email us your booking information at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so we can connect you to a Customers Relations Agent to discuss your options. We look forward to hearing from you, and hope you have a wonderful day.

Resolution response: March 1, 2018

Viking did contact me and refunded the cost of the trip insurance. Upping the review to 3 stars - it was resolved, but it took a lot of effort to do it. Lena was very helpful, I wish I had gotten a hold of her at the start.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Told I must eat $1038 in trip insurance I said I did not want - In talking with Viking to set up my cruise, I indicated that I did not want trip insurance - even verified via email the cost of the trip without insurance. I then booked the cruise - required a deposit within a few days, then fully payment by February 28. I logged into their website to pay my deposit - unfortunately, I did not look at the invoice, just used their online payment tool. A few weeks later when I went to make final payment, I finally looked at the invoice and discovered the trip insurance was on there.

I contacted Viking right away to let them know of the mistake and request an updated invoice so I could make my final payment. I was told it was "too late" - that the moment I had made my deposit it was too late (even though I had requested no trip insurance). I provided my Viking with the email saying I didn't want trip insurance, and my travel consultant discussed it with his supervisor. Nope, sorry. So I asked to escalate the issue. They said I would get a call yesterday (didn't happen), then said I would get a call today (didn't happen). So, I will be cancelling my trip, and fighting after the fact to get the cost of the trip insurance back.

Terrible treatment of customers.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for communicating your concerns, Deborah. It pains us to hear that this mishap in your booking process could ultimately cause the cancellation of your planned vacation with us. However, we understand your frustration, and would like to learn the details of your experience. Please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so we can review your case and connect you to a seasoned Customer Relations Agent to discuss your options. We look forward to hearing from you, and wish you a lovely day.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

They put TripInsurance on my bill even though I didn't want it. It costs twice as much as other providers. Called to cancel but they said it was too late. Ended up canceling the entire trip and challenged the charge. Very shady.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Claude. We regret to hear that a miscommunication in your booking process caused the unwanted trip insurance charges to be added to your account, and ultimately, the cancellation of your planned trip with us. Please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so we can review your case and connect you to a Customer Relations Agent to discuss your experience. We look forward to hearing from you, and wish you a lovely day.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Doing business with Viking is a hassle. With electronic transfers, it’s hell! Our travel agent said electronic transfers would save us 3.3%. Little did we know that would trigger many hours of hard work trying to calculate how much to authorize Viking to take out of our bank account. What Viking didn’t say is that when you authorize them to transfer $1,000 they only take $967 out of your bank (3.3% less than $1,000).

You’d think your new Guest Statement would show the payment and your new balance due would be $1,000 less than before. No such luck! Viking’s Guest Statements don’t tabulate payments or rebates or calculate a new balance due. The $967 bank transfer and a $33 rebate don’t show as credits. Instead someone at Viking types those numbers into a comment that shows in fine print near the bottom of page two. You can’t use the Guest Statement to pay from.

So after you authorize the $1,000, what is your new balance due? Get out your calculators and put on your thinking cap! You and your travel agent must figure it out. Our Travel Agent was very helpful, but they had to work overtime to understand it from Viking and then explain it to me. Keep in mind Viking transfers 96.7% of your payment amount electronically but internally they seem to treat it as though it were 100%. Makes you wonder what Viking is trying to hide?

MyVikingJourney.com for your account will help you say? There is a Purchase History page that lists your transactions chronologically. Don’t get your hopes up. It will say, “Only items booked on MyVikingJourney are displayed.” I wonder why Viking does these strange things which are obviously stressing many of their guests.

Viking Management: Please show rebates and payments as credits on your Guest Statements and included them in calculating a balance due. If for some reason you want the Travel Agent to do this work then give them some example worksheets and a paragraph or two of explanation so they’ll know how to prepare an understandable bill to the guest(s).

Viking Guests: Think about paying with a credit card. You lose the 3.3% rebate but you might gain some of it back with your card’s rewards program. Also, having a credit card company might prove helpful if you need to resolve disputes, overcharges, cancelations, etc. We went ahead and used e-checks. Now Viking has our money and we don’t have a credit card company to help resolve problems that might arise.

Viking River Cruises response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Allan. We regret to hear of the difficulties that you are experiencing while booking via e-check, and would appreciate the opportunity to further look into your case. Kindly, please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com with your comments and booking information, to be connected with an agent who will be happy to assist you. We hope to hear from you soon, and wish you a lovely weekend.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

My family and I just returned from a river cruise with Viking called Christmas in Germany. From the first 5 minutes of my cruise until the end, the Viking staff made this trip unforgettable. First off, due to a late train trip from France that I had booked, we boarded the ship at 10:30 at night. We were immediately greeted by staff at check in who handled our baggage, showed us to our rooms and told us to freshen up and meet in the lounge for a meal. Even though no one was in the lounge at the time, the chef was summoned to make us a delicious hot meal to welcome us to the ship. Wine and beer was served complimentary and our cruise was off to a fantastic start.

From there, each day was filled with top quality service, great food and unforgettable travel experiences. What I really appreciated about the cruise was the attention to detail. Travelers who booked this cruise were there for the Christmas experience and Viking really delivered on it. The ship was tastefully decorated in the Holiday theme and before Christmas day, all ports included close access to Christmas Markets for gift shopping. As with all Viking's cruises, a complimentary tour in each port was also included. And these tours were not cheesy 20 minutes walking tours of the city. One tour was an all-day excursion to Heidelberg Castle with an included lunch. Another was of a quaint town with breweries, cathedrals and castles. On Christmas day, there was a city tour by motor coach ending in a fabulous wine tasting in a castle cellar by candlelight - truly unforgettable.

Each of the days around Christmas, Viking would have little gifts waiting for us in our staterooms at night. This made the holiday so special. I also appreciated how they made an extra stop along the river on Christmas Eve for those who wanted to attend Mass. Viking really thought of everything to make this holiday so special for me and my family. I found Viking to be top notch, totally dialed into what their customers wanted, and ready to deliver. I had absolutely no complaints. With what the cruise line includes (unlimited wi-fi, tours in each port, wine and beer included with each meal, excellent concierge service, extras included), I found the trip to be a fantastic value and will certainly be traveling with Viking again.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Beware of Viking on two fronts. This is the second Viking Cruise that we book - this time to the Mediterranean. At the time of booking we told the agent that we didn’t want airfare or trip insurance. Both showed up on the bill - we called and the guy said “Don’t worry - you can remove both later”. When the final bill came, my wife paid it without going thru it in detail. When I realized that the trip had both airfare and insurance I called immediately (same day) and told them I had already previously declined both. The answer - “Oh trip insurance is non-refundable!” - Surprise!! Spoke to a Supervisor and got the same answer - explained exactly what the agent said upon booking and “They are looking into it”.

Secondly they agreed to refund the airfare but said it would take 21 days! Really? We paid by account transfer which is essentially immediately - but Viking requires 21 days to refund. Completely and utterly ridiculous. I won’t even go into the attitude I had to deal with on the call with the agent. I will admit that the Supervisor I spoke to was very professional even though she was carrying the company line. My wife and I cruise a lot - this kind of thing HAS NEVER happened to me on other lines perhaps because we have status on other cruise lines. So I feel this was an intentional bait and switch. And the trip is one year away.

Dear Roger,

We regret to hear of the difficulties that you are experiencing with your booking process, and hope for the opportunity to assuage your concerns before your voyage with us. To connect you with a seasoned Customer Relations Representative who can assist you, please contact us at TellUs@vrc.com with your booking information.

We thank you for reaching out to us; we appreciate the chance to address your comments directly. We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Viking Cruises

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Viking changed our itinerary based on a State Department notice for a trip leaving in one week. The changes in the itinerary are unacceptable to us. The two ports that were changed were the whole reason for the trip. We would not have booked the cruise with this new itinerary. I contacted Viking. They told us basically that there was nothing they would do period. End of story. They show no sympathy and will not offer any type of refund. Although we have trip insurance all it will get only get us a voucher with Viking. Given their poor customer service we do not wish to stay with Viking Cruises. Please note to Viking, I understand there are safety concerns. However please do not reply with a form letter asking us to contact Viking since we already done this to no avail.

Dear John,

Given your frustration over the need to make changes to the itinerary for this sailing, we understand your disappointment and reluctance to contact us again. With that said, we do encourage you to reach out to us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com, where a seasoned agent can continue to have a conversation with you and discuss your specific needs. We hope to hear from you through that outlet, John, and look forward to continuing our dialogue with you.

Viking Cruises

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Viking modified our itinerary citing State Department warnings. However upon inspection of the state department website and request for reference Viking responded that it was not public information they were using and instead claimed that the US State department shares Information regarding US citizen's safety abroad that's not public knowledge. I'm all for safety if a credible source can be cited but this is bait and switch to screw customers and increase profits. What's more egregious is the insinuations the US government would withhold information from its public about credible threats to traveling abroad but share them with a private company.

Dear Milhouse,

Thank you for allowing us this opportunity to respond. While we understand your disappointment with the change to your upcoming journey, we want to assure you that the safety of our passengers remains our top priority.

If you haven’t already, please contact us at TellUs@vrc.com so that we may put you in touch with a seasoned member of our Customer Relations team to address your concerns. We hope to hear from you.

Viking Cruises

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

This is the first cruise (France) my husband and I have been on with this particular cruise company. We were pleased with the knowledge of the tour guides, but that was about it. We were not happy with the food (quantity, quality or restricted times offered). The last night of the cruise we were actually served stew meat. Unbelievable! I ended up losing 10 pounds on this 1 week cruise. Never again.

Also the employees on board were not extremely helpful or cordial. Also, totally dissatisfied with the insurance company for Viking. Prior to this last cruise, we had booked a separate cruise to Russia, but had to cancel. After a long delay, we just received in the mail two $100 vouchers to be used within the next 12 months to reimburse us for the $200 cancellation fee charged by the cruise line, in an otherwise "cancel for any reason" type of insurance policy -- not only did we lose the cost of the insurance, but an additional $200 cancellation fee charged the cruise line.

Dear Nancy,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent Viking experience. We are disappointed to learn that the food and service on your cruise fell below expectation.

To further discuss the details of your experience, please contact us at TellUs@vrc.com with your comments and booking information. We will be happy to connect you with a Customer Relations Agent to collect a comprehensive review of your cruise.

We hope to hear from you soon and wish you a lovely day.

Best,

Viking Cruises

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

We recently returned from a 15 day Viking Ocean Cruise on the "Viking Star", "Trade Routes of the Middle Ages". This was our 2nd Viking experience. We opted to pay cash to receive the discount, however, we are sorry we did not use our credit card because they would be handling our current dispute. My husband and I arrived at the airport to leave the USA, only to learn that Viking cancelled our air reservations a month earlier without notifying us.

I printed the e-tickets off my Viking account about a week before departure. We arrived at airport to learn we had no tickets. After hours of aggravation and phone contact we were finally able to board the plane minutes prior to departure. Because of this Viking error I requested the Viking Rep to ensure that the return flight from Barcelona Spain was correct. She assured us that the return flight was properly scheduled. Viking also canceled our Oslo, Norway connecting flight without notice and this additional error caused us to waste 5 hours at the Oslo airport.

After a very mediocre cruise we were dropped off at the Barcelona airport to find that our return flight had also been cancelled without notice, notwithstanding, the erroneous assurances that our flight was proper. We were stranded. We do not speak the language, Viking did not provide any international information, we had no cell phone and we were left on our own in a very hostile Politically charged Country. Though our own truly agonizing efforts, with no help from Viking, we managed to secure a flight home.

The first flight errors were inexcusable. The Barcelona error remains unconscionable beyond words. To date our efforts to resolve this has been met with "used car salesman like tactics", with insubstantial offers of settlement and no formal apology. We have received polite lip service that such egregious errors have never happened before, but Viking has not translated the seriousness of this purported anomalous behavior to honest recompense. We took this cruise to celebrate the sucessful recovery of my husbands two major open heart surgeries...rather than a celebration, Viking provided a nightmare. Upon returning home, I wrote a detailed 18 page letter to Viking. We have also spent over 8 hours on the telephone with Viking Reps. I even prepared a timeline with attachments and sent it to Viking CEO and the Viking Executive team. All this has proven to be a waste of time.

Viking markets itself as a first class number one cruising company but that is misleading because they do not take responsibility for their own errors... WE ARE VICTIMS OF VIKING ERRORS. WE DID NOT RECEIVE THE PRODUCT WE PURCHASED. Please do your homework, protect yourself, VIKING IS NOT AN INEXPENSIVE TRIP... We are saddened by their caviler attitude towards our experience. WE do not recommend Viking Ocean Cruises.

Dear Marie,

Our records indicate you have been in contact with our Customer Relations agents in attempt to reach an amicable resolution. Should you wish to resume this conversation we invite you to contact us at TellUs@VikingCruises.com. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss any further matters and wish you the best.

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I purchased travel insurance on trip mate through Viking River Cruises. The insurance said I could cancel for any reason. My husband was ill so I had to cancel. Two months later I have not heard from Trip Mate nor received a call back when I leave a message. I've had no serious help from Viking on this matter. What a scam operation.

Dear Jill,

While we're grateful for this opportunity to respond, we are sorry to hear of your husband’s illness and hope he has recovered.

We regret to learn of your disappointing experience with Trip Mate. In order to address your concern, please kindly send us your booking information to TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we may put you in touch with a seasoned Customer Relations Agent. We look forward to speaking, Jill, and wish you a pleasant holiday weekend.

Viking Cruises

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

We booked our third Viking Cruise to France for this past October 2017. We paid close to $15,000 for an extended trip (a pre-cruise trip to Paris and Burgundy, then the cruise, and finishing up three days in Nice). In addition, we spent almost another $2,000 for optional shore excursions. When I booked these, I asked if they could be cancelled as my husband might get tired and I was assured they could as long as we gave 72 hours notice before the excursion. Unfortunately, my husband became ill in Dijon and was rushed to the hospital with a medical issue. Later that evening, we told the tour director we could not continue the next morning with the group to Lyon as he had a follow up appointment with a specialist back at the hospital two days later. We contacted Viking in California as well to notify them that we would not be continuing and would not be boarding the boat. Travel insurance was purchased for another $1200.

I contacted Viking today to find out when I would be receiving a refund for the optional tours we did not take. I was told by Customer Service that these tours are non-refundable (not what I was told when I booked them). It was suggested maybe I could get a credit towards a future cruise. I asked to speak with a manager and was told there was none and I could write to the CEO. Very disappointing service. As a former corporate manager, I find it hard to believe there is no one to escalate this matter to, so legal recourse may have to be an option for me.

The only thing I can say positive about this experience was our tour guide called us regularly, even after he delivered the tour to the boat, to see how we were doing and if he could help us in any way. He even called us at home to make sure we arrived back OK. What a wonderful man. I even wrote a letter to Mr. Hagan, CEO to tell him about his employee. Too bad the company he works for doesn't provide the same quality customer support.

Dear Patricia,

We’re sorry to hear about your recent experience while sailing with us, and hope your husband has fared well during his recovery from illness. Although we’ve previously discussed this matter with you, we invite you to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com for a continued conversation on how we may better address your concerns. We look forward to speaking with you through that outlet, Patricia, and hope to talk soon.

Viking Cruises

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Our return flight from an otherwise lovely river cruise and vacation, was THE TRIP FROM HELL. We would like to start this BY stating that WE PAID $ 1690 FOR PREMIUM ECONOMY ON ALL FLIGHTS. Here are the details of our horrible return flight! First: we were told late in our scheduling (we booked in February I recall), that we would be leaving at 6:10 am from Stockholm airport. That meant we needed to be at airport by 4:10 AM, which meant leaving the City of Stockholm by 3:10 am. We are two people in their 70’s (my husband is nearly 80!). It is no secret to Viking that many older couple take their Cruises, plus we filled many forms stating our ages. We tried to change the flights but were told it was too late. Therefore, to get to airport on time, WE STAYED UP THE ENTIRE NIGHT! Trying to sleep on hard benches in the Stockholm airport was no fun for this older couple!

When we got on the plane, we were shocked to find we were NOT IN PREMIUM SEATING. I understood there was a possibility that we could be separated on the flight, but we were not only SEPARATED, but also put in the MIDDLE OF THE THREE SEAT ROWS, and in the “SARDINE” COACH area. This was particularly stressful for both my husband and myself, because my husband has poor circulation in his legs and I am afraid of flying and needed the comfort of my husband close to me. Also, because we were in the back part of the plane it took much longer to disembark than had we been in PREMIUM FOR WHICH WE HAD PAID.

When we arrived in Paris, to change planes for Los Angeles, you can see we were allotted 1 HOUR AND 20 MINUTES to make the change. Surely, you or your staff would know what we would need to do to arrive on time for the next plane’s departure, but that was not evident in your itinerary for us. WE HAD TO GO THROUGH CUSTOMS, WHICH TOOK MORE THAN 45 MINUTES (no one wanted to help us!) after which we had to take a tram to get us to another part of the airport, and then a bus to take us to another part of the airport, after which we had to find our exact gate number which was at the end of the corridor! We were running the whole way, with my husband’s swollen legs/ankles, and my high blood pressure! Because, we were not the only people running like crazy, the flight was held for us… But the whole experience was AWFUL!

Because of the above, we are so turned off to VIKING RIVER CRUISES, even though before this last leg of our trip, we were definitely considering several other VIKING CRUISES. (The Cruise itself was wonderful, as was the food, and particularly all staff members, from the chef, desk personnel, and including the people who so cheerfully cleaned our rooms each day!) It’s a shame that we were treated so badly the end of the trip! Really sad. At the very least, we would like to get a partial refund of the monies we paid for the Premium Seating.

Dear Joy,

While we’re delighted to hear that your overall cruise experience with Viking was excellent, we regret to learn of the disappointing return flights that marred an otherwise wonderful trip.

To fully discuss this matter and further address your concerns, we invite you to reach out to us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

We look forward to hearing from you through that outlet, Joy, and once in receipt of your correspondence, will talk with you shortly.

Viking Cruises

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Cruise affected by hurricane - We purchased our dream 50th anniversary cruise from Viking. Now three of our ports have been cancelled and they are still taking us to one that is in total devastation. They have changed our flights so that now it will take us 19 hours to get there with three stops. When they have had water issues on their river cruises they have given full refunds, which is what they should be doing now. This has turned into the trip from hell and I suggest no one should plan their dream trip with Viking!

Dear Linda,

While we’re sorry to hear of your disappointment, we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. To get you in contact with a Viking Agent and to fully assess this matter, we invite you to contact us at Tellus@vikingcruises.com with your booking information. We look forward to hearing from you through that outlet, Linda, and hope to talk soon.

Viking Cruises

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Keep in mind the risk you’re taking when you put down a hefty load of cash for a Viking River Cruise. You may not get the cruise and you may lose a lot of your cash. My friend and I put down $15,188 for the 15-day “Grand European Tour” that departed Amsterdam last July 1. Our tour ended with the flight from Baltimore to Toronto. A delay departing Baltimore caused us to miss the connecting flight to Amsterdam. The cruise left without us. Viking had not scheduled enough time to catch an international flight. Trip Mate, Viking’s “travel protection” insurer, has offered us, but not yet paid in full – three months later – its standard $3000 per person refund for trips “interrupted.” Also, we had paid Trip Mate $1,438 for “protection”, so the value of our refund was actually $4,562. It seems Trip Mate exists to protect Viking River Cruises.

Here are the details — which have been sent for review to Jason **, Senior Vice President, Viking River Cruises, and Brad **, CEO, Trip Mate Insurance Agency: United Airlines Flight 8131 was scheduled to depart Baltimore (BWI) at 6:20 p.m. 6/30/17 and arrive at Toronto (YYZ) at 7:42 p.m. The continuing flight to Amsterdam was scheduled to leave Toronto an hour and three minutes later, at 8:45 p.m. However, an airport bomb scare delayed Flight 8131’s departure for an hour and 18 minutes. Thus, by the time the Baltimore flight arrived in Toronto the Amsterdam flight was gone. There were no Viking or Trip Mate representatives in Toronto to assist stranded travelers. Trip Mate advised us by phone to take the next day’s Amsterdam flight and find a way to catch Viking’s cruise ship which, by then, would have embarked on its voyage.

“Finding a way” was no simple matter. The flight would put us in Amsterdam on the morning of July 2. We would have to spend $2,600 for airline tickets to an airport near Cologne where the ship would spend Day 3 of the cruise. Finding transportation from the airport to the ship before it departed Cologne at midnight was also our problem. We had already put considerable effort, expense and emotion into our “trip of a lifetime.” We threw in the towel and paid our own way back home.

Dear Donald,

We regret to hear of the unfortunate situation at the Baltimore-Washington International Airport and the events that prevented you from joining us in Amsterdam.

To address your concerns and assist with your insurance claim, we’ve arranged for a Customer Relations Agent to reach out to you within 24 hours.

Although TripMate is a third-party company, the feedback regarding your experience is important to us and we look forward to speaking with you.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

This was our second river cruise with Viking. We chose this cruise because we do not enjoy packing and unpacking during our holiday. We were disappointed, therefore, to be told on the first night on the boat that our 7 day cruise was to be reduced to 5 days and the last two nights were to be spent in a hotel in Lyon. Others on the holiday had been sent a letter a few days before apologising and offering some compensation in the form of money off a future cruise but we had not been sent this letter. We had no option but to go along with this and enjoyed our five days on the boat with the usual good choice of food and service.

However our time in the Sofitel hotel in Lyon was a disaster. On both days we were given lunch in local restaurants - whilst the food was of a good standard it was a set menu with absolutely no choice - we were even refused tea as an alternative to coffee! In the hotel the food was again a set menu and was inedible and served in a cramped airless and windowless basement. I protested in the strongest possible terms to the Viking staff who merely shrugged their shoulders and advised me to complain on my return. They made no attempt whatsoever to address the problem on the spot.

When I lodged my complaint I did eventually succeed in getting compensation of £250 per person plus vouchers off future trips and after protracted correspondence a grudging acknowledgement that their staff had not handled things properly. However I did not feel at all confident that lessons had been learnt and would be reluctant to use this firm again.

Dear David,

As a past Viking guest, we sincerely regret to hear of the disappointment experienced with the Sofitel hotel in Lyon. While we’re delighted to hear you enjoyed the cruise, we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Although it sounds like we've discussed this matter and made a goodwill gesture, should you wish to discuss further, please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. We wish you well, David, and hope to welcome you aboard again.

Viking Cruises

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Longship - The cabin only had a view of any sort when the boat was moving! That is during the night. During the day it's in darkness against the pontoon! Beware of rooms 101, 103, 105 on the Rhine getaway and other trips.

Dear Karaticus,

While we regret to hear of your disappointment over the view from your stateroom, we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. We invite you to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com with your booking information, so that we may have a Viking Agent contact you directly. We wish you well, Karaticus, and hope to hear from you through that outlet.

Viking Cruises

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

We have just returned from our Viking Grand European Tour from Amsterdam to Budapest, with 2 additional days each in Amsterdam and Prague. We departed on September 5, 2017 and returned on the 25th. This trip was a 50th anniversary celebration. After reviewing various river cruise companies we chose Viking because of their fine reputation and ship size. In no way do we suggest that other companies do not meet the same standard but Viking was the one we chose. There were 186 passengers with a ship staff of 52. Most passengers are aged 45+ and the ships, excursions, and staff are designed for that age group. We used AAA as our travel agent and, as always, they did a great job in answering all of our questions and concerns.

From the first day to the last, this trip was nothing short of magnificent. From our arrival in Amsterdam to our departure from Prague the Viking staff was there to assist us and attend to our needs and comfort. Viking exudes attention to detail. At all stages of this trip our luggage was handled in an expeditious manner, whether from arriving at the airport, to the Hilton (Amsterdam), to the ship, to the Corinthia (Prague), to the airport. Not one problem. We could write a book on the ship and staff but, suffice to say, it could not fully describe this great experience. Nothing was overlooked. The staff could not do enough for each and every guest. Breakfast a morning joy. Lunch was a daily treat. Evening dinner was a delightful culinary experience. The staff kept the ship spotless.

Prior to dinner, we enjoyed time in the lounge. Just about any beverage you would ask for was available (suggestion - purchase the drink package). In addition, there was always some special treat being served. Every evening there was a briefing on the next day's activities, that evening's dinner choices, and post-dinner activities. There were a number of interesting programs and lectures which were offered to the guests. Excursions: many are included and many are at additional cost. We did both and were completely satisfied with Viking’s professional guides. Lots of walking so wear comfortable shoes. Important – the tours are designed from easy to somewhat strenuous so read the tour descriptions carefully. Weather – nature is in charge. This may sound minor, but Viking supplies great umbrellas.

Clothing – We made the error of bringing way too much. We discovered that 95% of the men and women wore jeans or other comfortable garb. There were no formal evenings. We would recommend that anyone considering any travel get Travel Insurance. Make sure to read all the travel documentation and get clarification on what you do not completely understand. This is a contract. Finally, repeat all the above.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I recently received a mailer offering a 2 for 1 Viking Cruise if booked by September 30 for departure dates in May/June of 2018. We were interested in a couple of different options and decided to take the Danube Waltz in June. I was informed by Viking that the cost would be $3349. I assumed that was the full price. Half would have been $1675. When I verified the cost per person, I was told that no, it was $3349 per person for May and June and that was the half price. I was also informed that July departure dates were $3149 (not on sale). I told them that was $6698 per person was outrageous (given that 'regular' price was less than half already) and that we were not interested. I checked further and all other departures, NOT on sale, were typically starting in the $3400 range. This trip is an 8 day cruise. Comparable fares on other river boats are about $2200.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

My husband and I booked the Viking River Cruise Grand European Cruise in Sept. 2017. The trip started 26 August 2017. That left an entire year to do research and look up reviews of the cruise. The number of negative reviews on this website left me concerned. I was terrified we had invested so much money and were going to be disappointed.

I can now report that the Viking River Cruise was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Near the end of the cruise a fellow shipmate asked me what I would have liked to be different about the trip and I couldn't think of one thing negative. We started our trip in Amsterdam and traveled to Budapest. Every port was interesting and fun. I thought I would be bored on the tours because 1) I don't like to travel in a pack and 2) I don't find historical data overly interesting. Boy, was I wrong. Thanks to the listening devices provided by the ship we didn't need to be too close to the tour group so I had plenty of breathing room.

The tour guides were so interested in the information they were sharing and very entertaining to listen to. Getting to learn something about each location was much better than touring it alone. After the guided tour, there was ample time to roam the city on our own if we wanted. There were always multiple opportunities to return to the ship so you could go back if you wanted. I was concerned about getting lost but there were maps provided for each city and the program director came along and roamed around to make sure no one got lost. The ship also handed out cards with the ship location so if you wanted to take a cab you could.

As for the ship itself it is beautiful (as you can see in the virtual tour). We opted for a suite, which was really nice, but I think to save money the next time I would get a room with a balcony. Some people said they didn't need a balcony but I liked the opportunity to be away from the other people on the ship. The suite had the added bonus of courtesy laundry services which was really nice. The weather forecast said it would be chilly (around 70F) but it was generally 85F and sunny so rewearing clothes was a challenge.

Our bed was comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. I read somewhere that they used to use L'Occitane products but now they provide Freyja. Probably a smart move for Viking because the Freyja products were pretty much scentless so I felt no need to acquire more product than I was provided. :) That being said the containers were large and replaced up to twice a day as needed. They clean your room twice a day which is really nice.

The staff on our ship was amazing. Our program director was Kane and I'm sure in a different life he was an actor because he was so entertaining and fun to listen to. Each night there is a port talk to review the next day's tour and Kane really got us pumped for the next day's adventure. Our waiter (Daniel), server (Tri), cabin steward (Ruby) and hotel manager (Ditmar) were all fantastic. We even got to know (and love) the chef, Jacob.

Speaking of food, the food on the ship is great! Every meal is something different and I was never disappointed. Viking always made sure meals were available around the day's activities and you never had to buy food off the boat if you didn't want to. It's odd being on a cruise where food isn't available 24/7 but I appreciated not coming home with a weight gain.

When we signed up for the cruise I was concerned about that fact that you can't sit at a table for two in the dining room. I am 48 so I was considerably younger than most of the people on the ship and wasn't sure how much I'd have in common with people. In retrospect, I am so glad I was forced into a situation where I had to be social because we made some amazing friends. As we sat at a table for six we even planned our next vacation together as a group (#Tuscany2020). The age difference made no difference and most everyone on the boat was super nice and really interesting.

My husband and I were also torn about whether to purchase the Silver Spirits package. For the two weeks it cost $600. A friend who had taken the cruise told us to skip it and she was right. First let me say that although we are not alcoholics we do drink regularly and drank even more while on vacation. All meals are served with wine and that wine varies daily and by location so it never got boring. Each night before dinner we went to the bar where my husband had two top shelf drinks and I had one. On occasion we went back to the bar at night. Despite our best efforts we ended up with a $400 bar tab at the end of the two weeks. Additionally the beer in Europe is fantastic and really inexpensive so that was an option as well. We did meet a couple who were trying to get their $600 worth but I know if we had purchased that package I would have felt the need to get my monies worth and would have spent the entire cruise hung over.

I read some people complaining about the view from the ship. Although it is true that you are not cruising scenic countryside 24/7 for the entire cruise, the majority of the time the countryside is beautiful. Some views are more amazing than others and occasionally you could spot an unexpected castle. The vineyards were lovely and I really enjoyed the swans in the river. I live in Florida and our river does not have swans. One day we even spotted small horses at the water's edge. I never got tired of sitting at a window.

I do regret is that I didn't plan to tip more. Viking provides a tip guideline so we brought enough euros to cover that (you can also use your credit card). Once you start interfacing with the same staff members daily you feel like you want to tip them more. I did some extra tipping but I regret not tipping more people extra. Next time I'll plan cash for the extra tips and use a credit card for the general tips.

I think that covers all the things I was concerned about when booking the cruise. One last note is that we booked our flight with Viking Air. We did not purchase travel insurance. The day before we were scheduled to come home our flight to Orlando was cancelled due to Hurricane Irma. Because we did not want to be stuck in an airport for days we opted to extend our stay in Budapest and get a hotel for three days. The night we checked in we learned (through a phone call from Viking) that they had re-booked our flight into Washington and booked us a hotel until we could get home.

At the same time our second flight was also cancelled. Due to a timezone difference, and the confusion of the storm the message from Viking about us being rebooked did not get to us before we left the ship. When they called they offered to fly us to Washington the next day but since we had already paid for our hotel in Budapest we opted to stay at which point Viking booked us a new flight home. Upon our return I reached out to Viking regarding the cost of the hotel. Not only are they reimbursing us for the hotel but they are also reimbursing us for the Marriott points we used to offset the cost of the room.

So in conclusion if you are considering a Viking River cruise I encourage you to take it. It was two glorious weeks of having someone else do all the planning so you can just have fun. I have been trying to figure out how we can afford to take another one since the moment I returned to the United States. I literally have no complaints which is pretty amazing considering the cost of the cruise.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

We have been cruisers for over 2 decades. For our 30th wedding anniversary, we decided to splurge and book a 12 night Cities of Light cruise. 2 days before we were to leave for Paris, my husband had unexpected heart surgery. The doctors didn't want him to travel for a month. My travel agent called and emailed the cruise line to determine what options we had. Viking CANCELLED the cruise without our authorization!! They then put the room up for sell and probably sold it for all we know. I have emails that prove we didn't give express authorization to cancel our trip. Now we are out $14,000.00!

After calling several times and getting nowhere, I asked to be directed to someone to whom I could appeal their decision. The representative was very hesitant to give me someone else to talk with. Finally, she did but repeatedly asked me why we didn't buy insurance. That wasn't the point. The point was they CANCELLED my reservation. The next representative said that the best he could do was to give me a 25% discount on my next cruise but I would have to probably sign a "release" form. Viking CANCELLED my reservation and didn't give me my money back. They had no right to do that!! And then turn around and kept my $14,000.00 and probably sold my suite to someone else. That is just WRONG!! Never book with this cruise line!! I am not done with this battle but wanted all consumers to know how bad we were treated.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Over the last 5 years we have taken three Viking cruises, which includes a 15 day river cruise, a 15 day ocean cruise and a 15 day land/river trip. There are several good reasons to use Viking, but a few things you need to be aware of which turned out to be major disappointments for us include: You better read ALL your information very carefully before booking. What your travel agent or even a Viking booking agent tells you may not be true! Their internal communications is quite suspect. What Viking sends/emails you in your booking information is what you are getting, which may differ from what you thought and/or were told by Viking or your travel agent about your trip.

We booked an 11 port Viking Ocean Cruise, which was confirmed as 11 port stops by both (various) Viking booking agents as well as our travel agent. After we booked it, we stumbled across the fact that it was actually only 7 port stops. This represented 4 less port stops, an over 27% reduction in ports we thought we were going to see. After we stumbled across this very disturbing news, I continued to call Viking booking agents to see what they would tell me about how many port stops that particular cruise would have. ALL continued to tell me there were those 11 ports (not the actual 7).

After very long frustrating talks over a long period of time, Viking told me they could refund my money, which was not an option for us because of what we wanted to do for that special trip we had already booked. After many hours over many weeks of conversations, they finally told me they would review this again after we completed our cruise for some compensation. They told me front end that they would NOT issue any cash refund, but would (ONLY) give us a credit on a future Viking booking.

This was very frustrating. Many people would not want to ever book with them again, but this is the only way they would compensate us, which resulted in our 3rd booking (so we could use their credit). You think of Viking as a very high quality company that would put a huge emphasis on customer service and satisfaction. They were extremely frustrating to deal with. Be aware.

Viking River Cruises expert review by Michelle Baran

Viking River Cruises, which launched in 1997, has its U.S. headquarters in Los Angeles. It has more than 60 ships that cruise rivers all over the world and targets cruisers from the United States, Australia and the United Kingdom.

• New U.S. cruise focus: While Viking has long offered rivers cruises in destinations such as Russia, Europe and Egypt, it is gearing up to launch a river cruise on the Mississippi in the United States by the year 2018. New Orleans will be its American home port.

• Inclusiveness: Viking includes Wi-Fi service, hotel accommodations, daily excursions and port charges in its pricing.

• Longship: The nearly identical Viking Longships that Viking has been churning out by the dozen in Europe evoke a sleek Nordic design, are energy-efficient and have a large variety of room sizes, both with and without verandas.

• Wide range of itineraries: With the largest number of destinations of any river cruise line, Viking offers a cruise for nearly every part of the world.

• Value: Viking’s notorious 2-for-1 deals offer a great value for river cruisers.

• Best for: Viking River Cruises is best for older travelers.

Profile picture of Michelle Baran
Michelle Baran

River Cruises Contributing Editor

Michelle Baran is a senior editor at Travel Weekly, where she has been reporting on the travel and river cruise industries since 2007. Baran has also written about river cruising for Travel + Leisure, Travel + Leisure Southeast Asia and Budget Travel, and co-authored Frommer’s "EasyGuide to River Cruising.” She received her Masters in Journalism from Northwestern University.

Viking River Cruises Company Information