2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.80/5
Based on 1,674 ratings submitted in the last year

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

On our return flight home from Denver, CO back in early December, we had the best customer service anyone could ask for. Here's what happened: out of 6 family members, 3 were scheduled on a direct flight home, while the other 3 were scheduled for a much longer, 1 stop flight home. We really wanted to be on the same flight, in order to be together and get home much quicker. Well, the bible says "you have not because you ask not ..."

So upon arrival at Denver airport on Sunday, Dec. 6, I thought I would at least ask a United Airlines attendant at the ticket counter if something could be worked out to get us all together. She was very polite, got her manager, and to our amazement, they switched our flight to all be together with no questions asked! My wife and I were astounded. It was wonderful customer service by United and we were very grateful and thankful! Thank you, United for your excellent customer service. It makes a difference when you help solve a problem for other people!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I recently flew round trip from Atlanta to O'Hare on United and could not have been more pleased. From reservations to check in, going through security, to boarding and in flight service everything went very smoothly. I am an elderly, arthritic, overweight, cancer patient that had to travel to a funeral. I have one of those faces that always looks grumpy, and truth be told I usually am. But United even made ME smile. I had heard such horror stories on how horrible air travel has gotten, well not on United Express. Their seats are roomy with plenty of leg space, even in coach. I was pre-boarded and assigned seating with even extra legroom. I have a good, rather expensive walker, and they took excellent care of it, I gave it to them on boarding the plane, and it was waiting for me when I got off. They even had wheelchairs waiting for me when I got off, with friendly attendants. I would not hesitate to fly them again. It was like flying used to be.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2020

As an older individual I was worried about traveling a 13 hour flight to New Zealand. But I can't express enough how completely satisfied I was with this flight. The trip went by so fast because how comfortable it was. The seats were extremely comfortable with enough room in coach to actually bend down to tie a shoe without bumping my head. The TV monitor was a nice distance away without being in my face and the person in front could actually recline the seat a bit without it being intruding. I could cross my legs and actually sleep. We were given blankets and pillows in coach. Food was great..all in all it was a great trip and better pricing than other airline flying to New Zealand. This 13 hour trip was so much more enjoyable than a very painful 5 hour flight across US on an airline I won't mention.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I have flown United over 1000 flights since 2009, reaching their highest "1K" loyalty year after year. The flights attendants' level of courtesy and service skill set vary to a large degree. There is no middle ground, either get an excellent experience or a poor one. The benefits of loyalty elite status are definitely worth going out of the way for, i.e. perhaps you take an extra flight to remain loyal instead of another airline direct flight. Perhaps you make a longer drive from Newark instead of Kennedy.

United's Mileage Plus program is very competitive with others, more based on dollars spent than miles flown (the old way). Let's face it, business travelers like me who have flown before 9/11 realize that travel is stressful and not quite the experience it once was. That's the price we pay for security. I will likely never switch to another Airline. United has done their primary job very well, actually perfectly- flown me back and forth to my destinations- 100% safely.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I was coming home from Chihuahua, Mexico on Flight #UA4105 February 25, 2020. I had a little cooler with Medicines and when I was boarding the Flight attendant offer to keep it at front. Upon arrival in IAH she return it and had to wait for small suitcase. I am almost 70 yrs old and was walking very slow so I was the last one in the concourse. I got on the walkway and at the end I step out and fold down on my knees and hands. The small cooler went one way and my purse and suitcase another one. I look around to see if someone look at me for help.

No one was there so I sat on the floor for few minutes and try to get up and couldn’t when at that time comes the Flight attendant and the Pilot and immediate the Flight attendant told me not to get up and she call for help assistance but couldn’t find anyone. She tried to help me to get up and couldn’t and immediately the Pilot help me. She got my cooler and suitcase and help me to walk all the way to Immigration, then I was on my way to customs when another Flight assistant saw me limping and also help me all the way to pick up my other suitcase and got me a cart and put everything on it. If you have 10 Stars I would happily give them to you. The Flight attendant and Pilot on my Flight #UA 4105 save my day. I can’t Thank them enough. You have the best of the best and I wish I have their name but I don’t. Best Regards.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I purchased 4 tickets in January 2020 for an overseas travel in July 2020. The flights were canceled due to COVID 19 so I requested refund which I only got refund for 2 tickets after 5 months, and still waiting for the other 2. I emailed United but never got any response, I called several times with no luck to resolve simply because they never tell you the truth, they kept telling me you will receive your refund in 72 hours which never came! It's been 1 year. Can you imagine someone stealing from you $3000 without anything that you can do? That's United Airlines.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Had 2 sets of tickets to Italy that were cancelled and was told if I took credits I could use them to rebook those tickets or any tickets for anywhere and when I tried to they said I could not use them as it was a partner airline the same as the cancelled tickets and the only one that flies there. United should not have advised me as they knew that I wanted to be able to use them to fly to Florence as I have a home there and fly back and forth with my wife and sometimes family 2 or 3 times a year and the credits are useless. I feel like they stole $11,000 from me. I was told different stories from different agents on how to solve the problem and got nowhere after spending 30 hrs speaking to various departments and in the end denied. I have now filed a complaint with DOT and then will hire a lawyer as I am stuck with $11,000 in credits that I can not use.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I have to travel a lot. I used only American Airlines and United for my trips because this is the only options for me. United is far below American Airlines. They discriminate the passengers according you give $30 for a bag. They let people who give money for check in online. They give reason that they need to check your items by their employee if it is fit in their policy. Then how about who give money? They still have carry on. How about those? Ridiculous airline with discrimination policy.

Once, I was late to the airport, but 25 min before departure. I live in Shreveport, which has only less than 20 passengers for a flight. I personally can check in and catch my flight if it is American Airlines. Their employee for check in never showed up at the counter, and I missed my flight and lose my money. United is a suck. I will give ZERO star for their policy and service. I choose American Airlines as much as possible, but still can't avoid that bad one.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

The flight attendant in First Class placed personal belongings on the emergency exit handle of the main cabin door during a flight. This is a direct safety violation. I have pictures of this incident.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Where do I start... The first flight on 10 Oct 2020 - we went from Sacramento to Kansas City. (Layover in Denver). Mechanical issues in Sacramento and missed our flight in Denver and had to wait for 6 hours to get on the last flight out. ALL Flights full and every seat being used in the pandemic. 12 Oct 2020 - Kansas City to Sacramento (layover in Denver). Well... They took my carry-on bag in Kansas City and (that is lost and still can't find it). Then because of wind made us detour and in Colorado Springs and missed out flight in Denver to get home to Sacramento that day. They told us they couldn't get us on a flight home that night. They wanted us to wait 3 days and we ended up on a Delta flight (much better service. plane, seats, middle seat not being used during the pandemic). Had to fly through Utah to get home at almost midnight instead of 3:45pm in the afternoon.

Still dealing with my baggage issue and United is making Delta pay for my baggage. They aren't paying me for all of what was in my bag because they don't cover expensive things. (It was my carry-on). I have been going rounds with people at United (customer service). Is not helpful, rude, don't speak good English. The last person that I talked to was Milan **- rude and NOT helpful. I will NEVER fly United EVER again.

United Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information