3.44/5
Based on 2,059 ratings submitted in the last year

2411 United Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 19, 2019

United Cares. If there were 10 stars I would give it to United. They got my son on a plane so he was not stuck in the airport overnight. He flew in from Managua on American Airlines and because they had cancelled so many flights he was stuck in DFW. He had a ticket the next morning on United Airlines. He went over to the United Club lounge to wait until they closed and then he was going to go sleep at the gate and wait for his 5:00 am flight.

The agents were not comfortable with him doing this. So Denise and Michelle sprung into action calling the manager Vincent and he put Sebastian on the plane. They went so far as to give another passenger a voucher for the next flight so my son could get home safely. This was the most amazing customer service we have experienced... ever. We are so gracious and will always fly United. I own a pizzeria and can't wait to tell my customers about our experience with this airline. Unprecedented customer care and service by far!!!! We wish we could hug these 3 people. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I am a first time flyer alone so I have had an abundant amount of stress the past few days. My original flight was to leave Wednesday, March 13th and return March 18th. I have had my flight delayed twice now to a connecting flight in Denver, CO to my destination Great Falls, MT. Once was due to blizzard conditions which cannot be helped by the airlines. I spoke to a very kind rep early Wednesday morning to get my flight rescheduled; sadly, I did not catch her name. She was very kind, helpful, and apologetic of my situation, despite it not being her fault nor the airlines. She was able to move my departure flight out a day as well as the return flight out to my original 5 day stay in Montana without any additional charges.

Come Thursday my Memphis flight to Denver, CO was delayed out 2 hours and would not be leaving Memphis until 6:50 PM where my connecting flight in Denver, CO would take off at 7:00 PM. I spoke with Deshonda in person at the Memphis airport who was unbelievably sweet and understanding of my circumstances. She searched all the flights available for me and was able to book my new flight for today, Friday for the same schedule out at 4:20 PM. As she was only able to book my departure flight, I needed to call again for pushing out my return flight.

I called late Thursday evening and was on hold for an hour. I finally reached another rep around 8:45 PM. Her name sounded like Chella, but it was difficult to hear through the static of our phone connection. She was able to push my return flight out to Wednesday, keeping my 5-day apart flights in under 7 minutes of assistance, again with no additional charges.

All my rep experiences have been wonderful and such a relief of stress, given the circumstances. I am upset with the number of delays but due to winter conditions, there is nothing else to do. I am extremely appreciative of each of these reps' time, help, and kindness during my frantic panicked state. I know from the back end this is a very demanding position for each of these ladies dealing with many upset people all while trying to meet each person’s needs to the best of their ability as well as the airline's schedule to their desired destination. I understand how difficult it can be to be kind to people who are only giving you grief. Their simple acts of kindness greatly reduced my stress and anxieties and I am extremely appreciate to have spoken with these three individuals who kept a calm, level head assisted me in my time of need.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I flew with UA on Feb. 24 from Beijing to RDU, and back again on March 6, 2019. On both trips, I found the service by ticketing agents as well as onboard staff to be courteous and on point. Overall I have to say everything was as perfect as could be expected for an economy class ticket. On the flight to RDU, the plane was a brand new aircraft and simply wonderful inside with electric outlets for ALL seats. (The Boeing 777 on the flight back only had electric outlets between seats, so each 3-seat row only had 2 outlets.)

In a perfect world the seats would be larger and/or more comfortable. Again however you get what you pay for in regards to economy, economy plus, business... etc. Honestly it wasn't all that bad even on a 14 hour flight to/from Beijing. The obvious "trick" is to get on board expecting beforehand a small seat rather than a throne.

I found the cabin crew throughout to be on point and prompt with any requests made. I probably shouldn't say it, but I wasn't charged for 2 bottles of Bacardi on BOTH long flights (4 total). It seemed the cabin crew willfully decided to give me free booze even while reaching for my credit card. The only small thing I might have negative to say was that as other dirty passengers left/threw/dropped their napkins/plastic this or that in the aisles, the cabin crew walked past it over the course of the whole flight rather than pick up debris from the aisle. I live in S. Korea and fly quite regularly back and forth to the US. I honestly can't remember if the airline I flew within 2017 was UA or not, but when I fly back later this year I will specifically speak to my local travel agent about booking with UA.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Due to flight complications I missed my connecting flights out of San Francisco. It was the Christmas weekend and I was on my way to see family. Needing a hotel for two nights and the customer services lines long and full of angry holiday travelers, I opted to pay for my own hotel instead of waiting in line for 6 hours for a hotel voucher. On a whim I submitted my receipts along with the circumstances as to why I got my own hotel to United after I had traveled home. Not expecting anything, just thought I'd give it a shot. Not only did they refund my 2-night hotel stay, they also gave me a very generous travel voucher. They did not question my reasoning and were very nice and responded quickly.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I live in CA and usually have to fly out of LAX, about 2 hours in light traffic. I got assigned a job in Denver and left out around midnight to the airport to make sure I didn't fall asleep and miss my flight. A headache there as all I could do was sit and wait for ticketing to open at 3:30ish AM. Got to Denver, met with my contact around 1 PM, got back to the Denver airport around 4 PM to wait for my flight out at 10:30 PM (sad face).

When I got to the ticketing counter/bag check area and tried to use my company card on a kiosk, wouldn't work. The most awesome older gentleman, white hair (4 PM 12/6 ticketing/bag check at DEN). I walked away from that desk after he helped me just shocked. For once someone helped out, for no reason but to do it. I wish I got his name, but this one encounter will place United forever in my mind to use. Has never been an airline I've used in the past but will be in the future. Thank you for hiring an excellent representative for your company and generally a good person.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: June 14, 2019

My name is Alex and I was trying to relocate my pets from US to EU with United. My problem is the Customer Acknowledgement Form you MUST sign with United PetSafe (https://media.united.com/images/Media%20Database/SDL/Travel/animals/PetSafe-Customer-Acknowledgement-Form_March2019_ADA.pdf). In "Certification and release" section (page. 2), 1st paragraph, 3rd line, the following statement is written: "I acknowledge and agree that United will not be liable for illness or INJURY to my pet, the exacerbation of any preexisting illness or injury, or death of my pet due to illness or injury," followed by: "I acknowledge and agree that United will not be liable for any loss, damage, delay or expense arising from INJURY to or illness of my pet. I further acknowledge and agree that I will reimburse United for charges and fees United incurs with respect to veterinarian care for INJURIES to or illnesses of my pet."

If you sign this form you are exempting United to any responsibility - whatever happens to your pet. Particularly dangerous is the "injury" part. In case a United employee drops the crate containing your pet (or worse), you agree that United is not responsible for that. They can do whatever they want with United, and they are contractually not liable.

After engaging the PetSafe first line of customer service - very polite, and they saw my point - I was redirected to 'Dan', a legal department in Houston. My request was quite simple: modify the form so that we could specify what 'injury' means, and and what would happen in case of human 'error' handling the pets. Dan replied (and I quote): "We are not going to modify any form for you, sir. If you want to use United for your relocation, you will have to sign the form. Have a nice day". United has all the rights to not change the form, but I just wanted to spread the word, hoping that people do not sign forms without knowing what's written in it. Thanks.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I purchased my mother's ticket online and paid for a "promotion" in which the first luggage was free and the other one was $30 if you were adding it to your ticket package. My mother gets to check-in at the airport the day of the flight and they told her the promotion was not valid and that she had to pay extra. Not only that, the rude customer service representative would not even talk to me on the phone so I could pay with my card or get an answer.

On my mother's way back when I purchased the ticket, as usual, I ordered a wheelchair, my mother cannot walk long distances due to her heart condition. I get to check-in her bags and the representative is very rude, disrespectful and as soon as he heard us speaking another language that was not English he started treating us like dirt. Very racist. I asked him about the wheelchair and he said no wheelchair was booked. I had to insist for him to request it then since I had asked for one, so he gave us a number and told us to wait with the rest of the passengers that needed a wheelchair in front of their front desk. We were waiting a long time and it was 30 min until boarding the plane so we had to try to get to the gate as fast as we could since my mother has to take breaks when walking long distances.

We get to the gate and the lady that was registering the passengers ignored us and told us to wait on the side. When I told her that I had a question, she then got all of the passengers in and told my mother she had 30 seconds to board the plane, yelling at her and snapping her fingers then she pushed her inside the walkway to the plane and yelling at her to hurry up. This lady also left the terminal unlocked so personal information could have been stolen while she went to push my mother, who has to walk slow, and rushed her down to the plane door. In the connection flight no wheelchair either and it had been ordered as well. My mother got to her destination not feeling well and straight to the hospital. Thanks to this heartless, rude, disrespectful, careless and racist employees who don't have respect for an elderly woman.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I purchased Airfare from United and now news reports are scaring my family about the Dominican Republic, and we don't want to go, but United is stating there is nothing they can do. Either I take the trip or lose all my money of 4k dollars. I can buy the same tickets for 2000 dollars today. Scared consumer!!!!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I purchase a ticket which was a basic economy ticket, that is what I could afford. The customer service agent told me when I called to confirmed the flight that if I do not pay for a seat he would not make the flight. He explained that he would be left to board last and if the flight is full he will be place on another flight for another day. What is the purpose of purchasing an airline ticket? Where is he expected to sit, on the wings of the plane because he did not pay for a seat that he is not taking home with him? This is robbery, only without a gun and they are sticking passengers up with "You might not make this flight if you don't select and pay for a seat." That is not a fair practice and they should be held accountable for such practice.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I am a frequent flyer, I have never witnessed such horrible behavior from a flight crew ever!! On 6/6/2019 the crew came through the Hobbs New Mexico airport, as we the passengers waited for them to abide by the rules to go through TSA as we ALL do to assure our safety!! One of the Flight Attendants (female) challenged the young TSA lady!! Shame on you!! Not only was she rude to the TSA employee she continuously interrupted the TSA employee and made her job very difficult to perform as well as holding up the flight schedule. This flight attendant was very RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL. This behavior should not be tolerated as A UNITED EMPLOYEE. I am sure if one of your passengers behaved in such a manner you would have escorted them off your flight!!

I THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT JOB TSA DOES FOR US AND ALL EMPLOYEES/PASSENGERS SHOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE TSA LINE! No one should be exempt. This is for everyone's safety. To the flight attendant that challenged the TSA agent you do not deserve to employed with any airline! United management I really hope you take your customer service very seriously and do something about this employee. This flight is to Houston and there is a lot of commute with the Oilfield out of the Hobbs Airport. This really has me worried that United allows their employees to behave this way. I tried to get the name of this Flight Attendant so that I could personally file an complaint however was not able to. I am also sending a letter the Homeland Security about the behavior of this employee. Unbelievable!!! Sincerely, Sherry

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information