3.11/5

2366 United Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 20, 2019

Flew round trip from SFO to Kona. Made a list of the issues we experienced: Advertised seatback screens. None on the way to Kona, although had them on the way back. Advertised the best streaming Wi-Fi. None on the way, hit and miss on the way back. Advertised United air app for movies/TV. Can't download without Wi-Fi. Make sure you do it beforehand. Although the WiFi was spotty rude airport staff at SFO used kiosks to check my own bags. Had to load my own bag on the conveyor in Kona. $100 extra for oversize bags, I was only 7 lbs over. Total fees $440 for 4 checked bags. Indifferent flight attendants. Banged my arm numerous times without acknowledgement. Ran out of snack boxes on both flights. 5 hours with hungry kids! Bring your own! Sticky seats. Non-working bathroom. Next time I'm choosing an airline with better ratings & perks!

Original review: April 20, 2019

First off they will charge $30+ dollars if you have a carry on - NEW POLICY! (Other airlines-$0.00 for a carry on)! Then they don't call your flight over the intercom at the terminal or call you on the cell # you provided at check in so you miss the flight over breakfast. Come to find out the flight was filled with people who they helped to miss the flight from the hour before. I ended up going to the closest airport to home and hiring ground transportation to the airport that I had initially paid to have been sent to. WHAT A FIASCO! + Additional expense.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

In a recent United Airlines flight from Richmond, VA to Medford, OR, the gate attendant in Richmond Airport upgraded me to FIRST CLASS for the longest leg of the trip, which was awesome! This leg of the trip was over 4 hours from Richmond, VA to Denver, Colorado; the flight crew was so accommodating and wonderful!! I simply LOVE United Airlines!!!!

Original review: April 14, 2019

My daughter and her six-year-old were scheduled to fly from Boston to San Francisco. The flight turn back after an hour with severe hydraulic problems causing the landing to be surrounded by fire trucks. United Airlines was unable to accommodate all the airline passengers and my daughter was then instructed to wait five hours to a flight to Newark with a two hour layover with a follow on flight to San Francisco. The flight to Newark was delayed by two hours and then the flight from Newark to SFO was delayed by two hours. When my daughter and her six-year-old finally made it into the plane heading to San Francisco, again mechanical problems made the plane over 35 minutes late and they sat again in the plane on the tarmac while maintenance was called. My daughter rarely flies and this was the first flight for the six-year-old.

I have spent the entire day on the phone with them, trying to reassure them that it was OK. Both of them have now been traumatized when an easy 7 hour flight was turned into a 18 hour chaotic tense draining experience by poor United Airlines aircraft maintenance and poor airport staff preparation for such eventualities. The Boston staff even assigned seats in the longest leg — Newark to San Francisco — that were widely separated, even though they knew it was a mother and a six-year-old. Unbelievable.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Our flight got cancelled due to technical problem, we were booked to a stop flights which first flight was delayed so you would arrive 30 minutes after your connection had left but they didn't care and have us a boarding pass to fool us. By looking at monitors we realized what was going on, one more time we got to long line of customer services and after a long wait, we were booked to an overnight flight to arrive next day. Meanwhile I was checking available flight on Google and there was a United leaving soon but they took so long and by misguiding us it was too late to make to the gate for boarding.

There was plenty flights with Delta available but they said they have no access to that which I don't believe it They just wanted to fill up their own flights. They never offer any voucher for food or drink and I was told to open a claim online and they would reimburse me for expenses during 10 hours wait, I just got an email telling me they can't do that but they give me some stupid AA points which serve for nothing. Useless company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: April 10, 2019

I was waiting to be serviced at the ticketing counter at Tucson Airport. After about 5 min, someone came to wait on the line to my left which was to be the overflow line. I was the next to be serviced. Then this agent named Denise came from the office and asked the woman who was standing next to me to come forward. I told her I was the next. She told me to go to kiosk and continued helping this young woman who arrived after me. I used the kiosk and in the mean time the ** male agent helped me to check in my luggage. I am not ** and Denise was **. So was the young woman who she chose to help instead of myself. After this ** customer left, she again went to help another ** customer. I travel extensively and am a Delta Gold member. I have never had this type of experience with Delta in the past. I had to fly United due to the destination. But I would never fly United again. And this agent Denise should not be in the airline/customer service role.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Purchased basic economy tickets for a family vacation with the expectation of not getting the best seats and being allowed less carry on baggage. 1st, my family which includes 2 minor children were not allowed to sit together. My daughter is not even 3 years old and was forced to sit with strangers. I was placed on stand by and told that my $1100 ticket did not guarantee me a seat on the flight for which I booked. The ticket agents were extremely rude and told me that had they not asked for a volunteer to take the next flight, I could have waited 3 days for a flight and expenses, including hotel, would not be reimbursed.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I would like to share feedback with those who book United Airlines as a basic economic ticket. I have booked this because I was expecting I got a good deal but turned out costly when United Airlines asked us to pay 300$ (150$ for each) at the airport. When I asked to show policy why you are charging too much for cabin bag. United Airlines executive was ignoring and behaved rudely by saying she has to serve other customers. As a customer, I have the right to know why you are charging too much. I have looked up in their website. I didn't found anywhere about 150$ charges. I felt the totally unethical, poor customer service and charged too much. My reservation details are ** dated on 04/06/2019 SFO to PHX.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I took Flight UA 83 from Delhi to Newark UA2320 to Boston on Sunday 17th March 2019. Firstly the flight got delayed by 3 hours at New Delhi and then It was rerouted through Frankfurt. I was supposed to reach Boston at 11 A.M but reached at 4.30 p.m. and missed my office. Confirmation Number **. Not received any compensation for the delay... though it was announced on the flight that I am entitled to one.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I was flying to Chicago and was told my I didn't have to check in my carry on luggage. But when I was checking in for my return flight, the kiosk personnel told that I have to check in my carry on. I explained to him my situation for my incoming flight that I didn't need to pay for my carry on. He was not very helpful and told to proceed to another personnel. After talking to another personnel, I was told again to go to another person. No one seem to know how to resolve the issue and just passing the buck. Finally a lady was able to give me more information but her attitude is rude and blaming for not reading the fine print of my ticket purchase. I'm happy to pay the fee but the way they to a customer is terrible. That's why I'm writing this review.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information