3.35/5
Based on 2,069 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

United Airlines

Looking for a travel site?

United Airlines Reviews

Original review: March 28, 2012

I'm very disappointed with United Airlines and its absolutely horrible or non-existent customer service. I was on hold for 40 -45 minutes. The agents that answered the phone has no information to provide. They don't even pretend to be interested in helping you. The email address for refunds that is provided on site is failing even though this is the only way to get for refunds, "This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed. refunds@united.com" So pretty much you have no recourse.

On the other hand, if you are the lucky one and have a completed eRefund, you can not use it online and have to wait for an agent! This is the only business that does not let you use your eVouchers online or display it anywhere in your account. It seems they are hoping you will forget you have it and never use it. I only wish I did not have to deal with this airline and will try to avoid whenever possible. I hope that others who feel the same will boycott United/Continental until they treat their customers as they deserve! Shame on them!

Original review: March 28, 2012

Contrary to all their communications before the merger, United has significantly changed their mileage plus premier benefits when it applies to their economy plus seating. Regardless of status, they require a $59 fee for seating in the front of the plane. When I questioned this, I was essentially told I was stupid for missing something that must have been in small print, if there at all. When I requested to speak to a supervisor, the customer service woman hung up on me.

Original review: March 28, 2012

I was fortunate enough to avoid having to fly United Airlines due to an emergency in the family but unfortunate enough to have to deal with their customer service. In trying to get a refund for my flight, I have thus far talked to 2 people over a 4-hour period, including wait time without getting to anyone in the refund office. Apparently, the lines have been set up to send to general customer service, no matter which automatic message I choose. And the poor customer service person I spoke to had no idea that was happening.

Then I gave up and submitted an online request 13 days ago and did not get a single response. When I sent an email to the refund office, it bounced back, citing their inbox as full. That is failure at multiple levels. Tonight, I have waited 2 hours to talk to customer service and am still on hold. This is really ridiculous. I cannot believe United is still in business.

Original review: March 27, 2012

I have been trying to get in touch with United Airlines to assign mileage credit for the two United Airline flights on March 1, which would have bumped into Star Alliance Silver status. I have sent several emails with no response. I called the 1-800 number 3 different times. First time, I was put on the line for over 2 hours with no human ever picking up the phone. The second time, I was waiting for over one hour. In both cases, I have to hang up, sick and tired of waiting. The third time, it simply hangs up on me citing "high call volume" and asking me to "call back later". I searched on the internet and found out that many people ran into the same issue due to United/Continental’s mileage system program merging in early March. I am appalled that the company has no attempt to reach out to impacted consumers and have not even fixed the issues after almost a month.

Original review: March 26, 2012

For three days, I have been trying to reach an agent to possibly change my flight on the May 27th to a direct flight from Munich/Frankfurt/Seattle or Munich/Chicago/Seattle because of the scheduled 5 hour wait in San Francisco right now. When I arranged the ticket on March 11th, I had been advised to try again, things always open up, and I had been told.

On Thursday, March 22, I have been waiting for two hours on the phone without being able to speak to an agent. Unfortunately, I had to hang up, because I could not wait anymore. On Friday, March 23rd, I got hung up after waiting for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Today, March 25th, I tried again. Waiting for three hours, nothing happened. Is there actually somebody at the end of the line?

I don't want to be cynical, but it’s very hard to listen for such a long time the same recording over and over again, how your program has improved, its # 1, etc., etc. I have been using mileage plus for 12 years, always was happy, never experienced anything like this before.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: March 24, 2012

I just wanted to let you know that I was very disappointed in our service with your airline, coming home from our trip in Costa Rica. First of all, we got to the airport at 9:40 and our flight wasn't leaving until 2:50. We stood in line to get our boarding pass for almost 3 hours. I realized you had a storm in Houston that day but it should have never taken that long to get our boarding passes to Houston and when we got there, our flight was leaving at 9:20 and it was getting close to the time we were supposed to be leaving. We kept checking the departures and they said it was leaving on time.

Then at 9:30, it said the time changed to 12:55 which we were fine with, and when I asked the lady at the counter, she said to go to the customer service counter and then we were standing in line and someone asked who was flying to Minneapolis, and then they gave us vouchers for the Red Roof Inn with $20 per person for the restaurant for dinner at the hotel. We got to the hotel and they didn't have a restaurant, all they had were these compressed artificial sandwiches in a refrigeration system in the lobby area. They were horrible! So when we got to the hotel, I got on the phone and waited 2 1/2 hours to get a person and half hour on the phone with them to find a way out of Houston.

Well, we finally got a reservation for the next day in the afternoon. So while we were waiting for our flight to leave, we were at our gate and it was 10 to 15 minutes before it was going to be boarding and then all of sudden, the gate changed to another gate. So everyone got up and went to another gate, then finally we arrived in Detroit to wait for our flight there and we had time so we finally went and had a decent dinner. Then we went to the gate where we were flying out of and our flight was scheduled to leave at 8:23 and got delayed to 9:40, which meant we would not make our connection in Chicago. So the lady saw how long our paper trail was, which was a lot, and connected us with a flight on Delta Airlines which was not completely full, and would take us straight home to Minneapolis.

We really appreciated her help. We paid insurance on our flight and should had never had to rebook our own flight, it should have been done at the airport and if you're going to give somebody vouchers for a restaurant and hotel, there should be one there. We had to hurry because it was late and the last shuttle bus was leaving at 11:30, so we had to get out there as soon as we could. We have flown many times and never have had as many delays as we did with your airline. We were both disappointed in this airline trip. Our flight was on March 11th.

Original review: March 23, 2012

I am in the hospitality business and own a business. I flew on your airline from Liberia, Costa Rica to Newark, NJ on March 19, 2012, Flight 1446. I would like to let you know that your flight attendants need to be retrained, replaced or retired. They have very little patience and their personality are much to be desired. I know the older flight attendants have the best flight schedules and you would think they would be happier knowing they are senior to the less senior flight attendants. Of the four flight attendants on our flight, only one (in first class) acted like she enjoyed her job. With all the people out of work, you would think they would take that into account also.

One of the flight attendants splashed water on the passenger sitting next to me and almost the second time, if I did not reach for the orange juice in time. There was no apology and we had to ask for extra napkins. They serve without eye contact and that is how accidents happen and bad PR begins. Also, if the flight attendants have long hair, please tell them to pin it back. One of them kept pulling it out of her eyes and then scoop ice for the next passenger. When we reached Newark, NJ, two flight attendants were in the rear of the plane nowhere to be seen. The third one was at the front of the plane with her back towards the passengers. The fourth one was at the door with baggage in hand and with a very weak goodbye. By this time, it was approximately 8:40PM and we had a 10:20 connecting flight to BWI.

However, when we checked the departure board to see which gate we needed to proceed to, we found out our flight has now been changed to 11:43PM. After about an hour, we went to United Customer Assistance. There were two employees there, one was helping a customer. I went up to the other and waited, waited and waited. I could tell he was working on something, but I would at least expect a "I will be with you in a moment". I finally turned around and went back to where the line started. As I turned around and looked back at the agent, then he tells me to come back! I wanted to make sure that the plane was actually coming in and would be taking us to BWI since it was so late! We needed to advise our hotel at the BWI airport what the situation was again. He advised me he did not know, I should ask the agent at the gate and they would have more information. More great customer service!

When I did ask the agent upon boarding flight 4186 to BWI, she blamed it on Vice President Biden who came to the airport that day and it pushed all the flights back. Funny, there were only two other flights we noticed that were delayed. Right before this, they called everyone to board and another female agent came out of no where, saying something about carry-on luggage, tagged, cargo hold, put a green ticked on it. Everyone was looking at each other as she put green tags on our carry on and then moved on to the next, not telling us where to take them or pick them up. The male flight attendant on board flight 4186 spoke so fast and so low over the intercom that you could not understand half of what he was saying. Again, sounding like I want to get this day over with, just going through the motions. He wanted to get the day over with, he should have been in our shoes! All this to a full plane of passengers. No one ever explained why the plane was late coming in!

Your phone and airport ticket agents and other airport employees were very professional. Although we were booked to fly out of BWI to Coast Rica on United, your agent(s) first booked us on a flight that did not exist on the day of our first flight, March 5, 2012. We were then put on American Airlines and the senior flight attendants were very friendly and made you feel welcomed. The other problem we had, your computer system would not allow me print our boarding pass 24 hours in advance nor would it recognize my name and I could not reach an agent after trying for almost five hours. Therefore, on March 4, 2012, we booked a room and drove to BWI to see what the problem was. The agent there could not get my boarding pass to print, however, a manager was able to get one to print. At that point, I thought all was well until we returned to the airport at 4:30AM the morning of March 5th, only to be told our flight was not at 6:40AM and that was when they put us on American Airlines.

In conclusion, I feel that a flight attendant's job is to make the passengers as happy as possible and treat people with the same respect as they would like to be treated. The only way I will fly United Airlines again is if they are the only airline to my destination.

Original review: March 23, 2012

A week ago, I described how United Airlines cancelled the leg of a flight I needed to connect to an international flight without rescheduling it. I also described how impossible it was to reach them at the phone number they had left for me to contact them. Eventually, my husband called our credit card company to see if we could get a refund since it did not look as if we were going to make our trip. The credit card company could not refund us as we had purchased our tickets more than 3 months prior to the date we were calling them about it, but they gave us a number for United and told us we would get through. We did after an hour and a half of waiting. Once we actually did communicate with a person, our problems were resolved very satisfactorily. We were re-routed, but actually made all our connections on time and with good service. Maybe after United irons out all the glitches resulting from the merger with Continental, getting through to them on the phone might be easier. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of our trip after our initial mega problem was resolved.

Original review: March 22, 2012

Flight from Chicago to Detroit had mechanical problems. I was left on board with no air conditioning for roughly an hour and a half. I ended up late and ran into some personal problems due to the delay of about 2 hours. I would like to be compensated for my loss.

Original review: March 21, 2012

Continental Airline's merger with United has resulted in changes to the OnePass program. OnePass Elite Silver members can no longer book seats near the front of the plane. We now have to pay $ for a better seat or wait until the day of the flight. As a long time flyer with Continental and a 10 + year OnePass member, I am outraged at this change in the program that is supposed to provide benefits to frequent flyers. It is a slap in the face to a very large and loyal customer base. I am no longer a loyal customer. A shame.

Original review: March 21, 2012

I had my baggage smashed on our flight from Newark to Halifax. I made a formal report with Continental and have the paperwork here, but I have not heard from them. The attendant who filled out the report told me I would hear from someone in the next day or so. So far, not a word. My ticket number was **. It was a hard shell case with wheels and it was worth $100.00. I noticed on the pink slip I have, it states that void if not used within 30 days. My flight was on March 6, 2012. Airline UA 1419 from MCO to EWR. UA 4916 from EWR to MCO. That is what is on my pink paperwork. But I think it should have said UA 4916 from EWR to Halifax.

Could you please let me know the status of this as I have not heard anything regarding this damage report? Thank you.

Original review: March 21, 2012

Trying to use my frequent flyer miles was almost impossible. I waited for over an hour several times, and I finally got someone from the Philippines, who was absolutely incompetent and very difficult to talk to and kept putting me on hold. It's complete confusion. I couldn't use the internet, as I did not have my new frequent flyer number or PIN, and I was unable to get new ones. At one point, I contacted customer service, who finally told me they were too busy to talk and said "Goodbye." After two days of complete frustration, I finally got my reservations; and when I printed one of them, it was 21 pages long with one or two lines on each page. Really?!

Original review: March 20, 2012

We missed the connecting plane due to unknown delays by United. We got to the airport in Baton Rouge, LA and for some reason the flight was moved to 25 minutes later. We looked out the window and there’s no plane. Then, we’re altogether one hour late and our connecting flight leaves at 12:55, in which we got there 1 pm to Houston. We did not make the flight, not to mention we had to travel a half hour through the huge airport. The 2nd plane was going to Boston at 1:30; the desk people said it was too late to get that one. Then, they said next flight is 4:55, which is 4 hours and we are going to miss the person picking us up at Logan Airport because they work at night. We made it to Boston like 11:00 and it was not good. After all that, our bags are missing after watching the last piece of luggage taken off. We went to the luggage counter and they said our bags have been there from another plane. There is no communication to know what is going on from A to B. Please assist.

Original review: March 19, 2012

I would like to investigate if the above mentioned airlines are involved in price-fixing, specifically after the official merger was completed between United and Continental. For the last 2 to 3 years, the airfare between Chicago and Houston has fluctuated between a low of $175 to high of $250, for advance bookings (3 weeks in advance). After the merger was completed, the prices now range from $323-$363 for the same advance fares. I would like to find out how to investigate this claim. There are lots of airfare sales going on, but between these two "hub" cities, prices have doubled!

Original review: March 19, 2012

Atrocious customer service and inexcusable disrespect: After waiting in line (like a good and fair customer) for 20 minutes, I made it to the front, only to be directed to a kiosk by an uninformed and rude UA representative. I told her my goal was to purchase a ticket (at the counter) and that I needed to do so today to complete the process for travel (required of my military unit) for War College training at Carlisle Barracks, PA. She said, "the staff was not trained to process tickets that were not booked online", which is ridiculous. She then went on to say that the time required to support my needs "would not be fair for others in line". What? She then instructed me to leave and come back after I had reserved a ticket, online or via the 1-800 number, which she gave me. I proceeded to make the reservation via 1-800-523-3273 and returned to the desk/kiosk and alerted another member of the staff that my ticket had been booked and need to make the purchase.

This second ** then went a step further and told me "you'll just have to wait until we clear out all these people" Of course, that was not acceptable. So I went to another kiosk and demanded service, thereby encountering a third brief verbal altercation. However, eventually, the individual did manage to get my ticket processed and a flight assigned. I was humiliated and furious. The management was contacted (per my request) and took more than 20 minutes to come forward to hear me complain. I informed him of the experience. He was apologetic on behalf of UA. Nevertheless, process defects are rampant and obvious. The so-called leader reiterated that his staff was unskilled/untrained ("in booking tickets"), as an explanation for this horrible event. I asked him what would be done to rectify this situation and the unprofessional behavior of his team. He said that he would address the issue (whatever that means).

Bottom line and my final words to him: "I am a board certified surgeon and a lieutenant colonel in the Army of the United States. I expect nothing more than the respect that I demonstrate to the customers I serve everyday, particularly while I am doing it in the service and defense of a nation. Get your process in control. Educate and train your staff. Teach them about courtesy and respect". As I left, I had to wonder if the cavalier and careless effort to provide quality customer care correlated with their perceptions of my ethnicity/race. I was the only African American in the line (just until I walked away). Then someone who appeared to be of the same background joined the ever-growing line of customers. The same "ever-growing" line for which I was told to wait. There is simply no excuse and I do expect an official apology from the airline.

I will never fly with UA again! That is, after I use the remaining voucher. Just so you know, the voucher, I might add, is one I did not need or seek but accepted as compensation for allowing a married couple to utilize my seat earlier in December 2011. In that case, United Airlines, as common practice, overbooked the flight (which occurs all too frequently) and actually planned to deny (or at least expressed intentions in doing so) the newlyweds' joint travel to their scheduled post-nuptial events. Just doing my part to help. It seems that I have done much more to support UA than UA has ever done to support me. Your advertisements (regarding customer care and quality service) are absolutely false and should be considered a major breach, and even fraudulent. Also, needless to say, the negative event and interactions mentioned above, obviously, became a small public spectacle and played with the dignity of a military officer, good customer and more especially, a man attempting to arrange business travel. I should hope no one else suffers the embarrassment that I experienced today. Fix this craziness now!

Original review: March 18, 2012

I just want other people to be aware of this scam by United Airlines frequent flyers Mileage Plus program. I want to make it perfectly clear that I never had any problems with Continental or their One Plus frequent flyers program. It was always a pleasure with no problems ever dealing with Continental. But ever since United merger, the whole program and overall service from United, has been unsatisfactory.

Because of a worker’s computer issue in California, I've been flying back & forth from NJ every year for the past 4 years, accumulating over 24,000 frequent flyer miles. If I can accumulate less than 1,000, then I earn a free round trip in US.

Besides flying, there are other ways to earn miles. I frequently get emails about special promos to earn miles, mostly from shopping online at their Mileage Plus Mall. When their New Year’s promo promised 500 bonus miles in addition to the regular miles earned from shopping at online mall, it would be enough to earn me the free flight. So when I spent over $80 at SHOES.COM, where you earned 4x the miles. I thought there would be no problems with my account being credited. Especially, since I made sure to click the icon on the email, to start the shopping process.

After 2 months of getting the run around by customer services reps, they kept promising me that it took at least 40 days to get the miles credited to my account. After waiting the 40 days, I contacted them again, asking why I still didn't get miles. Their response this time was they needed e-receipt and 2 weeks to process. So I forwarded the e-receipt and waited. But still, no miles. Again, I contact them. Their response now is that their records show that I didn’t click the icon, which is an absolute lie, so I am not entitled to miles and the free flight that I earned for being a loyal customer.

I replied back to them with what they can do with their miles. Hopefully, I can earn the free flight from a different source. I won’t be flying with United! I won't ever spend another dollar with them again. When I have to fly to California this summer for workers comp exam, it will be with one of their rivals.

Original review: March 18, 2012

I had a flight out of Reno, NV via San Franciso, CA. It was snowing so they de-iced the plane twice, which caused the flight to be delayed. Because of this, the connecting flight from San Francisco, CA to Ontario, CA had left prior to us getting there. I had to sit in the airport for eight hours until the next flight to Ontario, CA. When it was time for the next flight to take off, they informed me that the pilot didn't show up to fly. By this time, I have been sitting for over eight hours. I did get another flight, but it won't get to Ontario until after 12 pm. My little three-hour flight just turned into a 15-hour flight from hell. I will never fly United and I will not recommend them in any way, shape, or form. This was the worst thing I have ever been through!

Original review: March 17, 2012

My wife and I booked a flight to London but had to cancel. The ticket was nonrefundable but when I cancelled the reservation, the United agent said that we had one year to use the funds for the purchase of another ticket. All we had to do was remember the reservation (booking) number. We called and gave them the booking number to apply the funds to a new flight. The agent said that the ticket was cancelled because we didn't cancel the flight reservation.

I did cancel the flight reservation. I was told, "Oops, system down, call again in 24 hours." We called again and this time, the agent said that the merger was causing record transfer difficulties and delays. After three hours on hold and another hour of a supervisor calling someone else, she gave me the contact information for customer relations. I called twice for a total of another five hours on hold with no pick up. I emailed customer relations without response.

I am now ready to go to small claims court if they do not reply to a registered letter. I'm not a casual traveler. I've been a premier member of United for 25 years! United has the worst customer service of any airline and I travel a lot.

Original review: March 16, 2012

The merger between United Airlines and Continental Airlines has been the biggest debacle I have ever witnessed. The computer system is in complete disarray and the customer service departments are next to nonexistent with hold times up to seven hours in some cases. I was on hold on Monday for over five hours before being disconnected. This is the norm since the computer merger on the 3rd of March. Our promised Premier status has been dumped and long time frequent flyers are being completely ignored.

My UA Mileage Plus Credit Card, which carries with it Free Baggage from UA and priority boarding, just two of the promised perks when booking a flight with it, are now worthless as the card has been dropped from United Airlines' own website as a payment option. Hence, we are now being charged for baggage and being relegated to the last boarding groups. Agents at the ticket counters are clueless and say they can't help. Even they are apparently being forced to use worthless 800 numbers only to be disconnected themselves. The anger and frustration of thousands of passengers is palpable and I want to know what recourse we have.

Original review: March 16, 2012

Pitiful, I'm unable to buy a ticket on the website. Mumbai is of no help either. The elite "private lines" don't answer, disconnected or roll over to Mumbai. Are they kidding?

Original review: March 15, 2012

Nothing is like being held hostage by Continental/United Airlines. We are currently trying to book a flight for our family summer vacation using miles. We had to cancel our initial reservation due to personal conflicts and rebook. Our mileage was not put back into our account and after countless hours (3 to 4 hrs) of being on hold with the "Mileage Plus" program to find why our miles had not been re-deposited, we were told that we need to contact reservations. The agent was very curt and said she was going to transfer the call to reservations. When she returned to the line, she said there weren't any available lines to reservations that I would need to try and contact them myself. She then disconnected the call.

The next day, I called the reservation line and once again experienced a 2 to 3 hour hold time, only to be told that I needed to contact the Mileage Plus program. When I explained that I had already done so and was told to contact reservations, the agent said she could not help me, period. I then had to re-contact the Mileage Plus program and spent several more hours trying to get through, only to be told that I would be placed on hold, as the reservations department would handle this matter. At this point, I was extremely frustrated and after another 1.5 hour wait to no avail, I disconnected the call.

Several days later, the miles were finally re-deposited. Now, we are faced with the dilemma of trying to ticket the flight. Every time we log onto our account to complete the ticketing process, the website will not complete the purchase and we receive an email stating that if we do not receive another email confirming the purchase within 3 hours, we need to contact United directly. The issues with this, the flights are only held until midnight the following day and if the reservation has not been completed by that time, the reservation expires. What is a person supposed to do if they are unable to complete the reservation process? There are not enough hours in the day to stay on hold with United in hopes that someone will finally take the call. This merger is catastrophic and I hope Mr. ** is held accountable for this disaster. I make approximately 40 round trip flights a year and given the choice, I will no longer fly "United".

Original review: March 15, 2012

My husband and I were scheduled to fly Continental from GSP South Carolina to GVA Switzerland through Newark tomorrow. Unfortunately, between the times we bought our tickets and now Continental merged with the worst airline on earth: United. We confirmed our flight this morning and not two hours later, a United computer called to tell us that the first leg of our flight had been cancelled, making it impossible to catch the second leg. The computer left us a number to call and apologized for our inconvenience. As far as I can tell, in order to save money during the merger, United fired all its and Continental's employees, for no one ever picks up the phone.

The other night we stayed on the phone for three hours to change our seats, which we never did because no one ever picked up. We read on the internet that people have stayed up to 12 hours on the phone to no avail and that even travel agents had trouble getting through. At the moment, we've pretty much lost our flights. Mercifully, we paid by credit card and will contest; moreover, we got insurance. Getting money back from United would probably involve talking to a person and it has been established that that is not an option. I will go around the world to get somewhere before I ever fly United (not again because I've never done it). United's behavior is extreme; unfortunately, it is endemic to the world we have created for ourselves. Bring back regulation. This little experiment in "free market flying" has failed miserably: it's not free, it's not market determined, it's not profitable and it's obviously not flying.

Original review: March 14, 2012

Cancelled Flights, lost baggage, misinformation: After our one week vacation in Mexico, we arrived at Cancun airport. The ticket agent called over his supervisor and they proceeded to work at their terminal, spoke Spanish and looked very concerned. After a half hour, they informed us that our connecting flight out of Chicago had been cancelled, that they were able to find us another flight but we would need to make another connection in Toronto, switch airlines to AC and we wouldn't be home until 3AM the next day. Our option was to overnight in Chicago and they would try and get us a direct flight from there to our home in Halifax, NS the next day. With no other choice and time running out, we accepted these changes, made our way quickly to Duty Free and boarded our flight with moments to spare.

We landed in Chicago and were told we had to pick up our bags, contrary to what we were told in Cancun. We collected our bags and then corralled through customs and eventually connected with "unfriendly" United reps at the bottom of an escalator, insisting we put our baggage on a conveyor belt if we were connecting to another flight. We asked if we could speak to a ticket agent as our boarding passes needed to be reconfirmed and reprinted for the remainder of our journey. This ticket agent had a lot of difficulty finding our new flight changes and called Air Canada to confirm they had room for us out of Toronto. There was no link made and this was the problem apparently. She then spent another 20 minutes trying, unsuccessfully, to reprint our boarding passes and reminded that our baggage would go straight through to Halifax.

The luggage was taken and we made it to security with minutes to spare where our Duty Free was taken from us because no one explained that it was to be put in our "checked" baggage. We went back to United ticketing to ask if there was something they could do and we were told we had to pay $45 to check our two bottles! We arrived in Toronto and once again, were informed that we indeed had to get our luggage again. We waited at carousal for 1/2 an hour, no baggage of course, had to fill out forms after running around looking for help from someone as to what we were to do about missing bags before boarding our next flight. When we arrived at the gate to board with AC, they couldn't find our reservation, no link they said.

The flight with AC was very nice and comfortable, which was appreciated after 16 hours of complete nonsense and frustration. No surprise that our bags weren't in Halifax and weren't delivered to our home (by Air Canada) two days later. First and last time that I'll fly with United!

Original review: March 13, 2012

I booked hotel in conjunction with flight through United website; hotel was Hilton chain. I cancelled over seven days in advance and was told there were no cancellations (even though it's stated on Hilton policy allows for cancellation in this time-frame). United is using Travelscape (Travelnow), a low-budget group to handle reservations/cancellations. This is undisclosed when using the United reservation service. I am out nearly $400 for a reservation which would typically be an easy cancellation with no penalty!

Original review: March 13, 2012

It’s unbelievable! I was charged twice, and I had to wait over an hour on the phone to talk about the overcharge on my credit card. This company has a serious problem. I will never fly United Airlines again! I have never been as frustrated as this business transaction. I honestly do not know how they stay in business. It is 3 AM, and I am still on hold. Never again will I use United.

Original review: March 12, 2012

I came back from the Azores, Portugal, visiting my son in the Air Force. I bought a few gifts. I went to Tercira to Lisbon to Newark to Chicago. On my last leg Chicago to Lincoln, NE, the ticket agent noticed my baggage was 8 lbs over. She said I had to take out 8 lbs, or pay $100. You can imagine with all the people looking at me and waiting, I was very intimidated. What am I going to do with 8 pounds of clothes? I had no way to carry it. So I handed over my credit card. She got frustrated, and started in on me for having too much in my bag. I had one full carry-on already.

I packed my gifts to bring home is what put me over, and from Tercira island To Chicago, no one ever said a thing. I got to feeling beat-up, when your line agent, “R emailed me for his name” came up and asked what was the hold up, and the ticket agent complained about my bag and waved my credit card at him. He looked at me, handed me a plastic bag, and said “let’s save you some money, and fix up a second carry on with 8 pounds of your clothes”. That was awesome. I pulled out some jeans and a coat. The luggage is then 50 lbs. That was a 5-star service, and it made my day. That was a simple and swift answer. He was looking out for me. Thanks a lot R. It was a nice trip, over all.

Original review: March 12, 2012

I am beyond angry with the type of service we, as consumers, have been experiencing in the last couple of weeks. I understand that Continental and United are going through a merger but the planning and the execution of this merger is causing this company to lose many customers.

I am a Gold Elite member, travel exclusively Continental for work/personal reasons but I am now considering going to another airline. I have been on the phone trying to reach an agent since Friday for an average of an hour a day and still have not been able to speak to anyone. I work in the financial industry and I am well aware of what it takes to execute a merger. I am sad to see that both companies are risking losing many clients because of bad planning and execution. The merger of their systems happened over a week ago and we are still experiencing these waiting times of over an hour.

Original review: March 12, 2012

I have tried for 3 days to get through to a customer service agent with no luck. Over 3 hours on wait queue. I was denied One Pass Silver elite priority boarding by United agent in San Diego. I was told she was only following procedure. This is a benefit of frequent flying and One Pass Elite membership. It was ignored by United.

What the ** is going on! United Mileage Plus system is not carrying over One Pass information. I have to enter credit card info over and over when purchasing new tickets. 30 years flying and this is the biggest mess I have ever seen resulting from a merger. The refusal to honor pre-boarding of One Pass elite members, a benefit that I really enjoy because over head room for carry on is a joke these days, that’s just plain **.

Original review: March 11, 2012

Where do I send a complaint with regards to unfair, deceptive or abusive acts and practices as it relates to baggage fees? United/Continental website clearly states that a ski bag is a courtesy; however, when you arrive at the terminal, they charge you a fee anywhere from $25 to $35 coming and going. I was charged a total of $70. The supervisor acknowledged that there are always issues with the interpretation of the baggage fee free allowances.

If they know if there is a problem, why haven't they made the rules clear to the consumer? I was told that the courtesy only applies to an empty ski bag. Please, who checks an empty ski bag? On the website, they allow a fee free bag for a ski boot bag with the boots in the bag. Why is it different for skis? I think my complaint falls under DOT violation of section 41712. Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) considers to violate section 399.84 and/or to be unfair and deceptive and/or an unfair method of competition in violation of 49 U.S.C. 41712. I have a PDF screenshot of the website if they happen to change the wording by the time this complaint is read.

Original review: March 11, 2012

I am a OnePass member and am desperately trying to receive credit from Continental for 3 of my 4 flights with Lufthansa in September 2011. I was in contact with OnePass since September, sending them emails - nothing helped and recently they quit answering my requests. Please check this issue.

United Airlines Company Information