2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.66/5

United Airlines Reviews

Original review: June 30, 2013

I took my daughter to Syracuse's Hancock International Airport today, for the third day in a row. And again United did not have a flight ready to take her to Dulles in DC. Fortunately, we gave her 8 hours to get to Dulles, so after a two hour delay, she's on board a plane now bound for Dulles. I called United and no apology or explanation was given. Will never ever fly this airline again, anywhere. Very frustrating. Sign me up for class action lawsuit if one is available.

Original review: June 28, 2013

I printed my boarding passes on 24 June with no indication of any difficulty. When we arrived at Portland International Airport at 4 am on June 25, we found out that our flight had been cancelled with no explanation as to why. We were able to book a flight with American Airlines to Chicago with connections to Fort Lauderdale, FL. arriving at 8:15 pm. This was 4 hours past our original scheduled arrival on United. How can you possibly make any sort of connection? And this was after we had a schedule change on our flight to Portland on June 18 which gave us a 5-hour layover in Houston.

All in all, this was the worst flying experience we have had. We need to know that when we book a flight that we have a good chance of arriving at our destination on time. It is very difficult to plan when you don't know if you are going to arrive on time. Needless to say, we will be very reluctant to book any flights with United in the future. We are senior citizens and don't like having a 20-hour day of flying.

Original review: June 23, 2013

On Thursday, May 23, 2013, our United Flight to Houston Texas was delayed 1 hour causing us to miss our connector to San Antonio, Texas. We arrived in Houston approximately 11:30pm. The United Airlines (UA) Customer Service Agent at the counter in Houston Airport was trying to find us another flight, but there were none available the rest of that evening. My husband and I explained that we needed to be in San Antonio, Texas by 8am to be at our son’s Air Force Graduation. She explained that she did not have any flights the next morning either and that earliest flight she had would get us there around noon the next day. And they would get us in a hotel for the evening, but if we wanted to drive to San Antonio, then we would be reimbursed for our expenses.

There was about four of us customers who missed our connectors, and she offered the driving to San Antonio option to another customer as well. He was really angry, but I and my husband did not get angry with anyone. We agreed the drive to San Antonio was the only option we had that would get us to San Antonio by 8am to a very important Air Force Graduation for our son. The UA agent gave us further instructions for reimbursement giving us a specific website to use and that we’re to include in our email the words, "Due to cargo loading" within our email. We didn't really know what that meant, but we wrote down her instructions and continued to the Dollar Rental Car Counter.

There we were hit with a charge of $698.00, which totally shocked us, since our original rental car agreement that we had made in advance through Travelocity for the San Antonio Airport was only $159.00. But we really had no other choice and were assured by the UA agent that we would be reimbursed for our rental car and gas expenses to San Antonio. We started our drive to San Antonio approx. midnight arriving in San Antonio about 3:30am. After checking into a hotel, we were able to get to sleep by 4:00am and then awakened by 7:00am to get to the Air Force Base by 8am. The decision to drive to San Antonio was not an easy one. It was not by any means an easy drive or comfortable for us to get only 3 hours’ sleep. Although we were miserable the next day, we never got angry or tried to blame anyone for what had happened. We know things can go wrong so we just tried to make the best of the situation and tried not to blame anyone. It wasn't the UA Houston Airport agent’s fault and it wasn't our fault either. It just happened.

When we returned the rental car, they added additional fees and the total charge to us was $770.46. We kept all of our receipts. It wasn't until we submitted our information to the United Customer Care Department that the issue started. We followed the instructions that were given to us by the UA agent, including all the necessary information that she had instructed us and even deducted our original rental car expense of $159.00 that we already expected to pay, ending with the net amount due to us of $704.00. Unfortunately, the process is not going as smooth as the UA agent had made it sound at the Houston Airport.

One month later, I am presently still trying to get our reimbursement of $704.00. So far the United Customer Care Agent has accused us of misinterpreting the information that was given to us by the UA agent in Houston Airport and has offered us a refund of $110.00 for the partial air flight that we did not use to San Antonio and two travel vouchers for United to be used in the future for $200.00 each. So now I am expected to absorb the expense of $600.00. I am frustrated that United is not taking responsibility for all the errors that occurred by their United representatives. First of all, $200 travel voucher does not get you hardly anywhere so I think it is reasonable to think that I would have to incur additional expenses in order to even redeem those vouchers, and I am presently already at a loss of $600.00!!!

Original review: June 22, 2013

On Saturday, June 15, we left London for Houston. We took off exactly 60 minutes late. Along with my wife and I, at least 5 other passengers on our flight were scheduled to continue on to Austin via a second United flight. Our layover was 1 hour and 40 minutes, which should have been enough to go through customs and security. With the hour delay, it was questionable. We asked the flight personnel to assist in making the flight, and we were assured by two flight attendants and the purser of the flight that United was aware of our situation and that we would be OK.

We managed to get through customs and security and make it to the gate at 1902, eight minutes BEFORE departure. Of note, a couple from our London flight made it to the gate 1 minute ahead of us, or 9 minutes before the scheduled departure. Despite this, we were denied boarding as the flight had been closed. The United attendant became so rude that, not one, but two bystanders complained to the service desk about her comments and behavior. She informed us that the gate was closed and she was not reopening it for us. She informed us that, yes, she was aware that we had arrived, but that a decision had been made to close the gate early. As we argued, we were joined by the rest of the passengers denied boarding the plane and they sat at the gate.

Eventually, we were referred to the United counter. Here again, we encountered what I would refer to as institutional rudeness. Essentially, we were told in ten words or less that the last that the last flight was in 2 hours and 40 minutes, and if we wanted the tickets, we needed to take what she was giving us. We asked for a supervisor; at this point, we were a group of 7. We waited another 10 minutes, discussed the situation again, and once again, we were told that a decision had been made to close the flight. It was United's policy to close the flight 5 minutes before departure, regardless if we were late due to United's mistake (London flight left late due to late arrival of the flight crew).

When we informed her of the fact that 4 of us were in fact at the gate before the 5 minute mark, she informed us that nothing could be done. It was not her responsibility to get us on that flight. We informed her that, despite the fact that we had been arguing for more than 30 minutes, our flight was still at the gate, 20 minutes after the scheduled departure. She told us that she would not reopen the gate for the 7 of us, and that our only option was to wait more than two and a half hours for the next flight. When asked where our luggage was and she told us that that had made the flight that she would not reopen. In essence, our luggage could fly, but we could not. Ultimately, all of us waited for the latter flight. To add salt to the wound, it was delayed 25 minutes as a decision had been made to delay this flight to accommodate passengers that were arriving late from another United flight.

We were delayed in London due to United. We were never assisted at the arrival gate as promised by United. We were denied boarding at the gate after running through customs, security, and IAH and making it to the gate before United's cutoff. We encountered unprofessional and rude behavior so significant that 2 bystanders independently complained to the United counter while we waited for the supervisor. The supervisor refused to reopen the gate despite the fact that the plane was still at the gate 30 minutes later and that 7 people, all of whom were delayed by United, were standing there. Our luggage could be accommodated, but we could not. Finally, the delayed flight was delayed further to accommodate passengers that were delayed, a courtesy not extended to us. I will go out of my way to avoid United Airlines. It is a shame that an American legacy carrier is so terribly bad - number one in complaints, and so outclassed by foreign carriers. It’s no wonder they went bankrupt.

Original review: June 21, 2013

Our tickets to Venice were with United. Going there, our plane arrived in SF two hours late for departure. There was no explanation. The pilot said he would try to make up the time for those who had connecting flights. Our stewardess was snide and rude the whole flight. We were told United personnel would expedite our transfer to the next flight. Their idea of expediting was to tell us which line to stand in. We could have figured that out. We missed our connecting flight by 10 minutes because of long lines. Had to sit in Frankfort Airport 4 hours to get next available flight. That flight was with Lufthansa who did everything correctly. But instead of arriving in Venice in the early afternoon, we arrived in the evening. We only had three nights there and missed our airport pickup. This was a trip we planned all year.

On our return home with United, it was from Rome. It was a nightmare. The plane was freezing. We had economy plus seats and I had a blast of cold air in my face for 9 hours. We told the steward who told the pilot but it stayed like a meat locker. I had two blankets on but my throat got more and more irritated. There was no vent control to shut off the cold air in my face. It felt like there was some kind of drying agent in the air. The connecting flight from Newark to SF was on a B737. We paid for economy plus seats but the seating was tiny with no leg or arm room. We were told because of turbulence, they couldn't serve water but first class was served hand and foot the whole time.

The flight was 6 hours of torture. If you wanted even a stupid little pretzel snack, you had to pay for it. The next 3 days, I had severe laryngitis which turned into a sinus infection and bronchitis. We have both been very sick for 8 days. We were completely healthy when we departed from Rome. I wrote Untied but never received a response. No surprise there. Last year, we flew home from Amsterdam on KLM. It was a wonderful flight. Comfortable with great gracious cabin help. I will never fly United again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: June 18, 2013

I purchased 10 seats on a flight to Turks and Caicos that was supposed to offer extra legroom... The plane was not fitted for extra leg room. I filed a claim on the United website, giving the number of the plane used for the flight with all the corresponding ticket numbers. I booked the flights in Sept 2012 and our flight was in May 2013... Response I received was that I had to file a refund within 90 days of our ticket purchase. I am not sure which genius reviewed my grounds for a refund and that my flight was 8 months after I purchased the upgrade. If anybody can help me with a supervisor's phone number.

Original review: June 17, 2013

Connecting flight # 4881 on 6-16-2013 from Washington, DC to Raleigh Durham, NC because there was no crew to operate aircraft!!! I was offered 2 rooms that night with maybe a chance of a flight the next day with a different airline. Instead I rented a car and drove 4 hours home after flying 9 hours 25 minutes from Munich, Germany. I have spent 1 hour 15 minutes on the phone about cancelled flight refund with NO answers. And now I find out that UNITED doesn't want to refund me the price of the rental car I used to get home on because they didn't have a flight crew!!! UNBELIEVABLE, UNBELIEVABLE, UNBELIEVABLE. I will NEVER fly United again!!!

Original review: June 12, 2013

While it is most probably expected to have some issues in flying today, my recent trip to Los Angeles from Portland, Maine included all possible unpleasant scenarios. Thanks to United Airlines.

From Portland Maine to Trenton, New Jersey, my flight was delayed for two hours in Portland. When it finally landed in New Jersey, I nearly missed my connector to LAX. My return trip was an example of what not to do in customer service. The flight took off one hour and 45 minutes late. We arrived in Trenton New Jersey, in time for our connection to Portland, Maine with less than 15 min. to spare - not to worry. The flight to Maine was delayed, at first 30 minutes, then 90 minutes, and we actually sat there and watched the clock run-up the expected delay. The flight that was to take off at 7:34, was now listing a departure time of 9:30, even though it was now 10:45.

The departure time then changed to 12:14. We had been vocal about asking the CSA at the podium if the flight was actually going to occur. He assured us, several times throughout the evening that the flight was going to happen. First, around 10:00 pm, we were told the flight was leaving Washington, DC and had to be cleaned after arrival. Then, about 11:00, we were told the plane had to return to DC for issues but to have no fear, it would be here soon. Next, we were told at approximately 11:30 pm that the plane was outbound, and would be landing in Trenton in approximately 35 minutes. 90 minutes later, we asked the CSA, "Is this flight going to happen?" We were assured it was and that the plane was now 10 min. out.

Eight minutes later, at approximately 12:15 am, the board read CANCELED. Even though Trenton is a major hub, and the planes were at the terminal, we were told our flight would not occur. By the time we left customer service, with our vouchers for a new flight, it was 2:30 am. At first I was told that there would be no flights available until 4:15 the following afternoon. After demanding something better be done, I was placed on a flight that would board at 8:02 am. After collecting my bags, and getting less than 3 hours sleep, I returned to the terminal. At 7:10, the departure time was changed from 8:02 to 8:34.

The CSA at the podium was frantically phone calling someone, and we overheard her say that the pilot was not responding to his page. Eventually, at about 10:15, the pilot showed up and was arguing quite emotionally with someone in an official-looking jacket and badge. We could overhear most of the conversation, and it seems the pilot had been scheduled to fly to Atlanta, but had now been told at the last moment he had to fly to Maine. From here, it just got better. When the plane was finally ready to board, at 11:40 am, I found that I held a ticket for seat 3C, as did another person. They had placed us both in the same seat on the same flight. I had to deboard, and was told that a flight would be found for me, but it may not be today.

At this point, I was quite confrontational and told the officials that this was unacceptable. Things had damned better start getting fixed or there would be an issue that would be settled by my attorney.10 minutes later, with the plane still sitting on the tarmac, I was approached by a CSA who told me that a seat had been found. They had offered a young man a $300 voucher to give up his seat.

I had now been in Trenton for 19 hours LONGER than scheduled. I had been lied to, rudely spoken to, and my needs ignored. United blamed everything from the weather to crew issues to the color of the drapes. Never once did they apologize. Suffice it to say that I will never travel United Airlines again. I have been flying Delta for several years, after several terrible experiences with United, but I was speaking for a non-profit organization, and they were paying for the flight. When I asked if I had a specified airline, I remarked, "No, whatever is cheaper." You get what you pay for. That will not happen again. After this, it is Delta all the way.

Original review: June 11, 2013

I have never experienced such a mess checking in to board our flight and the delays that we encountered until our flight from Dayton International airport to Denver, CO airport, with a layover in Chicago on June 8, 2013. In all fairness, the problems were at the Dayton airport but my daughter has experienced delays as well in Cincinnati. While checking in, there was one person at the counter trying to help about 100 passengers. He spent an enormous amount of time trying to help a customer who was checking a large dog that was in a cage. I'm not sure what the issue was but no one ever came to help him while the passengers just kept piling up. It took a good 45 minutes to get checked in and we were only about 20 people back. Still the passenger with the dog was sitting there.

All the boards said our flight was on time but when we arrived at the gate, the flight was delayed. The only reason I know this was that I overheard people asking if there was a delay. They never came over the loud-speaker and announced a delay. When our flight was finally ready, we had to change gates. Again, it was never announced there was a gate change although it was directly next to the initial gate. Part of the reason here for no announcement was that the gentleman who was working at our gate check-in had to run over to another flight to help pull the walkway down to another plane for them to unload and was gone for 30 minutes or more. What?

Never in my life have I seen this much disorganization when flying. As we were about to load our flight that was delayed about an hour and a half, there was a girl who came running from a flight abroad, barely catching the flight. I guess she had to go through check-in again since it was an international flight and said that there was still only one person at baggage check-in, the line was crazy, and that THE DOG WAS STILL THERE! Fortunately, we caught our connecting flight in Chicago. The flights weren't bad, a lot of turbulence from Chicago to Denver, but not horrible and we had no problems in Chicago except a slight delay.

But honestly, I will probably never fly United again. I feel that they are significantly under-staffed and it gives me doubts about the professionalism of the entire company. Most flights are usually lower-priced than other airlines but I guess if you have one person doing the job of three, you can afford to cut costs. I just hope there was a pilot AND co-pilot flying my plane.

Original review: June 4, 2013

I was on United Airlines Flight #4766 departing from Indianapolis, IN to O'Hare Airport with arrival schedule at 6:25 pm on 6/3/2013. The Flight was delayed for more than an hour for some reasons causing me to miss my connecting flight #827 departing from O'Hare Airport to San Jose, CA. When I checked in at United Airlines Kiosk or station at O'Hare Airport, the entire staffs and supervisor were all very rude and unaccommodating. I was not informed promptly on the flight delayed from Indianapolis to Chicago. Had I known of the delay earlier at Indianapolis Airport, I would have the time to reschedule the connecting flight to get to San Jose.

After arriving at O'Hare Airport, the United Airlines Supervisor (Sarah) was very rude and unaccommodating. All she did was to rebook me a different flight for tomorrow departing from O'Hare to Houston and then from Houston to San Jose. When asked about whether I could get a Hotel stay or Food for accommodation for the United Airlines crew's fault of the delay Flight #4766 causing me to miss my connecting flight, she simply dismissed the issue and that she couldn't do anything. I was left strained wandering around in O'Hare Airport waiting for the next flight tomorrow at 6 am. I have to wait for nearly 10 to 11 hours.

Unbelievable! I found this experience very unpleasant and disturbing. I can't believe this is a publicly traded company. These staffs have no value for their customer at all. I didn't try to throw the white towel as yet. I've made several attempts to call corporate headquarters at 1-800-864-8331 to escalate the complaints. The calls redirect me to Philippines, India, and finally to Detroit. OMG! This is American Company with call centers in other countries. No wonder we don't have jobs. Worst of all, this is just a call center for reservation. All they can do is rebook your flight. Horrible! This is a nightmare. I would never in my life book a flight with United Airlines or even dare to recommend anyone (friends or family members) to fly with this company ever again, period!!!

Original review: June 1, 2013

From Washington, Dulles to Denver Colorado, Flight # 423 on May 28, 2013 at 4:15 pm, Anselmo ** requesting wheelchair service received very special care from Maria **, service representative. She was most friendly and made this trip a great one. Thank you once again for having a caring individual working for United.

Original review: May 28, 2013

United Airlines - Terrible, Terrible, Terrible. Don't trust them.

Original review: May 21, 2013

On April 25, 2013, I chaperoned my school's competitive civics team to the national competition in Washington DC. I charged the baggage on my credit card at group check in under United Airlines attendant Andrew at SFO (ticket # **). Instead of 32 pieces at $25 each for a total of $800, I was charged for 32 pieces at $800 totaling $25,600. I was not aware of this mistake until May 6th when I saw the charge on my credit card. I then tried to get a hold of personnel in United. After being given the runaround on the phone service, I was told to fill out a form online. I filled out the refund form the same day and waited to hear from United (as the automatic email reply said "I would be contacted when my request was reviewed").

That evening, I contacted my credit card company to tell them to dispute the $25,600 charge. I waited ten days (May 16) and after checking my credit card statement, I saw that United charged me an additional $800 on May 6th without my consent and without refunding the original $25,600! When I went online to see if my request had been dealt with, I was given an error message and told to call. Yet again, I was in their telephone automated nightmare maze trying to get a hold of an actual human being. Finally when I did, I was told I was too late to talk to refunds (2pm Pacific time), and needed to call at 6am my time to get them first thing in the morning. I told United to call me and gave all my contact information (email, telephone, address, and name). I heard nothing.

Finally, I called Friday, May 17 at 10am, and after an hour was told by LaBreal in refunds that I should know if my request was granted in 72 hours (but, "oh, it's a Friday so wait until Monday, not this coming Monday but the following Monday" which I then told LaBreal that that is a holiday, and I guess I would have to wait until May 28th? When did 72 hours turn into 10 days?). I then asked for compensation for this headache and mess. After another 15 minutes on hold, LaBreal came back from customer service and said there is no compensation unless it is a delayed or cancelled flight.

I am now waiting to still hear from United. Not once have they contacted me. Still, I am left waiting and more and more of my friends, acquaintances, etc. on social media are dropping their United Credit Cards and flights. I feel completely ignored and used by this company and will not stop my campaign for some acknowledgment by United Airlines of their wrong and willingness to compensate me. I am also disputing the $800 charged on the 6th of May and contacting the California State's Attorney General's site to file a complaint. I wonder if this email will jar United to take some action on my behalf?

Original review: May 21, 2013

My family was flying last summer July 2012, had some problems with our luggage, and all the staff there at JFK United Airlines were all rude, unkind, not helpful at all, from the customer service in the front desk up to their manager. Will never fly with United again!

Original review: May 21, 2013

I was supposed to fly back to Vancouver, Canada from Cancun, Mexico on May 2, but the United Airline ground staff in Cancun airport refused to do the check in for me. They told me that I only have Canada landing paper and don't have a valid travel document to enter Canada. I told them that I am a Taiwanese citizen and I travel with Taiwan passport. Taiwan is visa exemption country of Canada, so I don't need a visa or PR card or any travel document to enter Canada. The ground staff said they need a proof from embassy.

It was 4am in the morning. The local embassy was not open. I waited until 9. (I already missed my flight by that time.) The embassy told me that they are not able to provide any proof since it's a fact. Guess what, the ground staff still didn't let me fly back to Canada and told me, "The only option you have is to fly to Mexico City and get a proof from the Canadian embassy or fly to Seattle and drive back to Canada." So I ended up not having any choice, but was forced to fly to Seattle, spend $300 and drive back to Canada.

Original review: May 14, 2013

I purchased 2 business class tickets to Banff, Canada for my fiance and I for 6/23/13 and return 6/30/13 on March 17, 2013. Little did I know, on April 29, 2013 (I am 66 years old), I was rushed into knee arthroscopy (recovery is 2 weeks on crutches & 6-8 weeks on rehab). The recovery would extend into our travel plans because I now have to have a total knee replacement discovered in the arthroscopy, my 5th surgery in 18 months from an accident. It was not only the total knee replacement but also it was discovered I must have another spine surgery (#3) within the next several months after knee replacement surgery.

My orthopedic surgeon wrote a letter and needless to say, my refund request was rejected totally. I tried reaching an agent with the International Refund desk, after giving my ticket numbers only to be put into voice-mail 4 times today. Enough is enough! I am calling again but this time, I am going to call FTC and United's corporate office.

I am tired of the consumers suffering from airlines like United's ineptness in hearing the full problem before making a determination, and what happens if there is more to the story that the physician didn't have in his letter submitted? Try getting back with an agent at United - it won't happen! I have even thought of a group of consumers that will collectively contact Dateline or the Today Show with our horrific treatment from United; that would raise awareness.

Help me and other consumers who've been treated badly - what is your story and how can we help one another? Has anyone appealed to the Refund Desk after receiving a letter and been able to receive a medical refund from tickets purchased? I've $2,800 on the line here. It's not cheap and I will not be able to travel in one year as United stated in its letter - in other words, you're disabled by a surgery at the moment, but you could travel later in the year - No, I can't as discovered in my recent surgery; a total knee replacement is not a walk in the park and surgery #5 for me in 18 months from an accident - I know the recovery process and it'll take every bit of a year, if not 15 months for this one.

I want to hear from other passengers that have had somewhat of the same problems with United Airlines! I will never fly United ever again, ever!

Original review: May 13, 2013

Leaving out of Houston, TX on United Airlines to New York, United changed my connecting flight to a different day, time and carrier without my knowledge due to a weather delay. After making the initial connection to an American flight to continue on to New York, my luggage was sent to Europe when it was supposed to go to New York (with me). United failed to properly book my return flight to Houston (almost causing me to miss my flight back to Houston). To date, my luggage has not been found. United is blaming American; American is blaming United and neither of them can find my luggage even though I have a "file locator number" that was issued to me by American. Please help!

Original review: May 9, 2013

My United flight was said to be delayed due to weather. I understand that weather and mechanical problems can cause delays and appreciate safety precautions taken. However, this flight continued to get further delayed and I checked with the United agent if we would make our connector due to the delay and he assured me that we would and no action needed to be taken. Our flight arrived and as we got closer to our connector flight departure time, we asked the flight attendant if we would make it and we were told they knew nothing about our connectors and almost everyone on the plane has a connector flight but she would make an announcement to allow those with connectors to go first.

This was quite different from the Delta flight we arrived late in Miami on where the flight attendants went above and beyond to let passengers know about their connecting flights and help them get there on time. Needless to say, we missed our connector flight along with many of the flight's passengers. Although we were first told we'd make the connector and then told by the attendant they knew nothing about our connections, there were already new tickets printed for us when we got off the plane but no one could honestly tell us what was going on. This was great that we had a flight but we had nowhere to stay and being that I am pregnant and miserable, I was not going to sleep in the airport.

The United agent gave us an Interrupted Trip Information form which says "live operators" in bold would help us find a room at a discounted rate. We called the number. There was no live operator, just an automated message saying no rooms were available. Next we went to get my bag because it has my medication which I must have in the evening and morning and we were told it could take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours. So there my husband and I, pregnant, sat without my medication and nowhere to sleep and treated with absolutely no empathy.

Finally we got our bag and had to spend money on a taxi to locate a hotel at 11 pm. We finally found one for $300. So not only did we receive no service but we had to spend our money to get a hotel plus miss part of work the next day and lose more money and we have a baby on the way and cannot afford these costs. I am so upset with the service and treatment I received and nothing was done to provide any passengers a place to sleep and no empathy for our situations was given. It is by far the worst customer experience and I believe action should be taken!

Resolution response: May 14, 2013

United Airlines has since refunded the 2 partial flights that were cancelled. I consider this matter closed. Thank you, Consumer Affairs!

Original review: May 7, 2013

I am writing as a consumer who was severely frustrated and disgusted by United Airlines and its employees regarding procedures and its customer service. I am writing in hopes that something can and will be done and not discarded or disregarded as a disgruntled consumer. Every interaction and feedback is necessary in order for improvement to deliverable and execution - as outlined in the ITIL process. I purchased a flight on March 18th from DFW to MRY on 4/25 and return on 4/29 from MRY to DFW. This was a business trip that included precise timing as it involved an installation of PBX at a customer's site.

Thursday, 4/25, I landed in SFO for the connecting flight (United 5609), but was notified at 5:55PM that the 7:55PM flight to MRY was cancelled (reason: air traffic control). I was told there were no other flights to MRY that night, as all flights were cancelled to MRY. Customer service then placed me on a flight the following morning. I tried to explain I had to be in MRY that night for the implementation of an install. I did not wait until the next morning to catch the connecting flight to MRY.

Sunday, 4/28, the evening of Sunday, I checked the flight schedules using an app, FlightAware, to verify if the return flight (United 5316) from MRY to DFW had been cancelled too. To my surprise, yes, it was cancelled as well. This time, I had no way to get to LAX (as it is more than 4+ hours away). I immediately called United customer service and was informed that the flight had been cancelled for the next morning due to weather. That would have been fine if it were true, but I was in Monterey and it was mid-50's, sunny and no clouds. I was appalled and surprised. I was treated by customer service reps with a "take it or leave it" attitude. I was placed on a return flight in SFO at 10:30AM.

The problem? How to get to SFO and I was supposed to return to work by 2PM that afternoon. The alternative flight arrived at 4:04PM! Again, I tried to explain my scenario, but the agents (even supervisors) did not make any effort to accommodate me. I asked, repeatedly, to at least accommodate me with an upgraded seat or first class or something as both flights to and from MRY were cancelled. I was denied. I was told, "You're just economy." I was disgusted.

What infuriated me the most was when I arrived at SFO (paid a friend to drive me). I was asked by the counter agent, "Why didn't you just catch the other flight that left out of MRY this morning at 6:11AM?" What? I was told the only flight I could catch early was if I left from SFO at 10:30AM! I immediately checked the app, FlightAware, and yes there were 2 other flights that left that morning from MRY to DFW! See attached pics of screenshots. Why didnt any customer service rep call me to make me aware? I paid to be driven to SFO and could have caught a return flight early? I was disgusted. There was no apology from United. The only resemblance of an apology was, "I'm sorry you feel that way." Again, I was disgusted.

I am writing to request a refund (if not whole, then partial) for the unused portion of my flight. I have updated my company, NEC, of the horrible experience that I have had with United Airlines.

What's disappointing? After all this, only a $50 certificate? 2 flights were cancelled, I had to pay for transportation to/from SFO, poor updates, but more importantly, no member of Brass ever responded.

Original review: May 2, 2013

United Airlines is the most inconsistent airline in the world. I'm a Mileage Plus member, which there isn't any benefits to being a part of the rewards program. I fly several times a month and 25% of the time United may arrive or leave on time. Poor customer service. The worst! United is always canceling flights due to late planes or not having enough crews to fly planes. Countless times United fails to leave on time and/or posted time. The one time I was running behind, misplaced my upgraded boarding pass and had to get ticketing to reprint my pass, 15 minutes before departure time my seat was already given away. I got to the gate 10 minutes before departure time and the airport personnel wouldn't let me board, and said they gave my seat away even though I was already checked in. The plane sat there for another 5 minutes before the jetway pulled away.

Very frustrating since United vary rarely operates on time. So for the first time, United decides to leave before the stated time of 12:59. A miracle that they could operate quickly this time. So now I'm frustrated. United people seem to not care a bit, which is very common, and booked me on the next flight at 2:28PM on regular seating. I had to mention to them that I already paid for an upgraded seat so then at that time they gave me my upgraded seat. I will no longer fly United for domestic flights. I will go back to Southwest!

Original review: May 1, 2013

Flight on 4/25 at 9:20 pm was canceled. United offered nothing for the night. I had to get a room at the airport on my dime. Return flight on 4/29 changed time to earlier (ruined that day as well), then I was made to sit in the airport and on the plane till almost original flight time. The 4-day vacation with non-refundable activities was ruined by United Airlines. I'm out a lot of money and I will have my day in court!

Original review: April 23, 2013

In the first two months we owned our tickets, United changed our flights more than 5 times, sometimes shortening our layovers to impossible connections, sometimes forcing us to land in Boston so late at night our students couldn't return home in time to make it to school the next day. I can understand that flights change. What was appalling to me was that each phone call made to change the reservation took a supervisor and upwards of 30 minutes on the phone to fix.

United, in error, earmarked our deposit for return, instead of applying it to the cost of our tickets. This would have emptied our bank account if we wanted to pay for the tickets while we waited 30 days for you to return our check. It took three phone calls and two supervisors over two days to fix this issue.

Due to a knee injury/surgery, I requested a bulkhead seat for a passenger. Your airline told me knee injuries aren't "real problems" and therefore unworthy of getting a bulkhead seat without paying for it. The same issue had been resolved on a flight on JetBlue in approximately 3 minutes. United took 3 days, 3 supervisors, and the head of the department before the issue was fixed. Over 12 hours were spent on the phone fixing this issue.

United divided and scattered my students throughout the flight so I had multiple children sitting alone, or seated with passengers between them. I was told nothing could be done because "flights were full." Over 16 hours were spent on the phone with various supervisors. My students were finally seated together on 3 of 4 flights.

We arrived at Logan on April 14 to fly out and discovered that because United decided to split our reservation, 3 passengers could not be found on the flight. It took us close to an hour to check in. Multiple people had to be called over before they could find the three passengers (two of whom are the only chaperones for these children). This same thing happened again on our return flight.

In flight we were yelled at by a flight attendant to stop talking (quietly) to each other because the safety video was showing. In all my years of flying, I have never been told to stop talking because of a safety video. Our flight from Chicago to Huntsville was delayed over 30 minutes on the Tarmac. We were not given any information about this delay. When we asked the flight attendant, she said, "I'm not sure. We just have to wait."

In Birmingham, our return flight was delayed. United did not post any information at the gate, nor did they update our departure time or make an announcement. When we approached the gate agent, she was rude, stating, "Flight hasn't left Chicago," and gave us no other updates until the flight actually had landed after the posted time we were to take off (which had only been posted about 10 minutes earlier). The plane on the flight from Birmingham to Chicago was run down, filthy, and falling apart. The space above the seat where the lights and fans are was falling down. Trash was found shoved between the seats and the window, and dirt could visibly be seen everywhere.

Because of the flight delay, we asked our flight attendant (on flight 5910 from BHM to ORD on April 21st) what time we would be landing. Her response was, "I have absolutely no idea. You'll have to wait for the pilot to make an announcement when we are ready to land." This announcement never came except for when the pilot asked her to prepare for landing.

On our flight from Chicago, my seat and the seat of one of my students were broken. The seat cushion did not attach to the seat itself. I informed the purser on this flight of this. She said, "Sorry to hear that," and disappeared to serve water to the first class passengers. When I called her back 5 minutes later to ask her what I was supposed to do, she said she had been busy with other passengers but had called a mechanic. The mechanic replaced the seat cushion, but this did not fix the problem. When we landed, had my seat belt not been so tight, I would have slid to the floor because the seat cushion was not attached to the seat. My student reported actually slipping off her seat throughout the flight. This is a gross safety violation that I will also be reporting to the FAA.

Original review: April 22, 2013

My flight from New Orleans was an hour late. In turn I missed my connecting flight in Dulles to Binghamton, NY. Since this was the last flight to Binghamton and I had to be home that night, they elected to fly me into Syracuse and I had to rent a car and drive an hour and half to get home. I need to discuss reimbursements for rental car, gas, and of course my time. I did not get home until after 4am Saturday when I should have been home Friday at 11:30pm.

I am not happy with the customer service I received at Dulles from the ticket counter to customer service itself, nothing but runarounds from both departments. To add insult to injury, the plane I was supposed to fly on to Syracuse was having mechanical problems and nobody would tell us if we were going to fly that night. They kept pushing the fly time back by half hour increments. We did not leave Dulles until 12:30am for a flight that was originally scheduled for 11:00pm. I am not happy with United on the way it handled customer’s concerns. No employee did anything to go the extra distance to help me with my problem.

Anything that was done, I had to ask many times to get it done. Your employees had me running back and forth from the ticket counter to customer service, before I finally demanded that someone help me. This was a very stressful situation that your company put me in. The only reason I made it home was because of the way I demanded positive action from your employees. Nobody went the extra mile on this problem that was caused not by me but from you and your company. I hope somebody calls me to discuss this, and we can come to a fair resolution on the additional cost I had to endure on this trip. Flight Number: 740, Flight Date: 4/5/2013, Approximate Departure Time: 5:00pm.

Original review: April 17, 2013

We had 3 tickets to Ft. Lauderdale to see family. 1 week before we were to leave, our mother was placed on hospice. She was loaded with cancer and dying. I called to just move the flight until after the death and also to fly another family member home from Ft. Lauderdale quickly. They said, "Oh yes, we will put in a credit for you for another date but when you book it, you will need $150 per person for change fees. Then after you take the flight, you can request a refund due to a death and then they will refund $100 per person because they need a $50 processing fee per person to process your refund." Also, your family member that has to come home will get a 5% discount on her flight. Now, it is usually quite a discount when you are trying to get family home for a death if you are dealing with any other airline that actually cares about life circumstances. Oh yes, and the original flights are $199 per person. I will never fly United again and I told a supervisor that and she said, "Well, everyone has policies."

Original review: April 15, 2013

Now I know why United was voted as the worst airline. I learned this firsthand on both legs of our trip coming to and from Jackson Hole, WY (JAC) from Columbia, SC (CAE). I started my trip on April 7, 2013 in Columbia, SC on Flight 5700 to Chicago (O’ Hare) which was delayed several hours due to the crew needing rest. You all don’t plan for this? Do you realize that a delay in one place causes rescheduling and long lines? My husband and I are both handicapped. I have neuropathy in both feet (not visible to you all but horribly painful), and my husband is on crutches and has cerebral palsy (this is very visible to you all). We stood in line for over two agonizing hours, while only two customer service techs took people very slowly and inefficiently. They took people from later flights before ours when ours was finally boarding causing the flight to be further delayed.

They seemed oblivious to the fact that they were inconveniencing people. One large black man spent 45 minutes with one couple chatting. The line was 50 people long, chatting was not needed. Because the flight was further delayed due to your inept CAE staff, we missed our connecting flight from Chicago to Denver; which we would have made if the flight would have left on time even with the original delays. For the first time in Chicago, someone did offer my husband a wheelchair. He took it, but had to laugh being that no accommodations had been offered in Columbia during the two+ hours on line. Starr and her group at Chicago (O’Hare) were the only group to ever provide accommodations to my husband. She rescheduled our flights and got us to the next flight on time. Our last flight of the day was Flight 3867 from Denver to Jackson, WY.

The stewardess on this flight was nasty. She seemed to take pleasure in jumping on people in an embarrassing/loud manner. She announced that no beverages would be served due to turbulence. When things quieted down, I asked to use to bathroom. She loudly said she would not allow me to. I was in physical pain (I am missing organs). She then began to serve water to people. I got up to use the bathroom, and she loudly yelled at me to get back in my seat. I fired back, noting that I thought that if she could be up and about I could go. She yelled at me again, saying it would be on me if I got hurt. I said okay; it was that or I crap my pants. This is crazy. She was not subtle, so I was not subtle. I thought this would be the end of bad customer service from your airline, but I was wrong.

Then came the return flight - Flight 4895 from JAC to DEN was delayed over two hours due to mechanical issues. The mechanical issues were discovered by the pilot with us in the plane ready to go. The flight crew were very surly, to say the least. ** from United said all of us would be rescheduled by the time we reached Denver. He lied. We checked for our new schedules as soon as we got off the flight. No changes had been made. We stood in line for two hours there at customer service. No wheelchairs were offered to my husband. And, a woman from United would come from another office to the customer service line and randomly take people to reschedule their flights. I noticed that she never chose people from the front of the line. She would pick people in front of us, and in back of us, and completely ignored the man on crutches standing for two hours. Once again, no accommodations were made for disabilities.

When I finally received our new schedule, I noticed the flight from CAE from Dulles did not have a gate number. Being that we only had an hour to get out of the back of a huge plane and get across a large airport with a man on crutches, I wanted the gate number/letter. The man at the Denver gate for the Washington flight refused to look this up for me. He said it was impossible to look up. The stewardess on the plane looked it up (A2F) and even gave us the schematics of the airport. It’s funny how some people are helpful and others go the opposite extreme. The man in Denver knew why I needed the information, he just did not care. In the end, our luggage got to Columbia a few hours earlier because it was automatically rescheduled, but we were not. Funny what your priorities are! We are going to Seattle this summer. I have already scheduled the whole trip with another airline.

Original review: April 11, 2013

Upon leaving Houston, my shoe got caught in the escalator, and the result was a fall from the top to the bottom. The United Airline personnel seemed uncaring. No report was filed. I have no medical insurance, but I do have cuts on my left arm and bruises on my right arm shoulder. I can barely turn my neck, and my right knee looks like a soft ball which also has two cuts on it.

Original review: April 10, 2013

United flight 4232 on 12/26/12 from Cleveland to Burlington, VT was cancelled by United. I have called 6 times, spending a total of 7 hours and 23 minutes on the phone. Each representative said there was an internal glitch and that I would have my $427.80 refunded in 7 days. It has been 106 days (12/26-4/10), now 7 calls and another 2 hours and 45 minutes on the phone but no refund.

Original review: April 9, 2013

I traveled from Newark Airport in New Jersey to Miami International on 4/4/13. When suitcase was opened in Miami, it looked like someone dumped the whole suitcase and threw everything back in. A prescription for a narcotic (Dilaudid) with over 80 pills in the container were stolen. The cap and bottle were thrown in 2 different places in the suitcase. The prescription was in a mesh bag with other prescription containers.

Original review: April 9, 2013

United Airlines has a call center in India for air reservations. The call center does not communicate United Airlines standby policies. Every time you call the call center, there is a different answer. I finally had to speak to a "supervisor" who said I would not have to pay a change fee for a standby flight earlier than my scheduled flight. When I arrived at the ticket counter, the United agents were very cold and said they did think I was "special". This, to me, is very derogatory. I had the call center's supervisor information and the ticket counter didn't care and still charged me a fee of $75. I wouldn't have arrived at the airport 7 hours before my flight if I was given correct information by United's call center. The ticket counter just complained that yes, it has been difficult with Indians at their call center and admitted mistakes. I would warn frequent fliers when flying United Airlines as not all airlines have such bad customer service.

Original review: April 8, 2013

EWR to LAX 3/25/13 - With our daughter at Cedar Sinai in LA, and a holiday disallowing our traveling beginning at 7pm that evening, my husband and I printed out our boarding passes before leaving home and arrived at the gate at 5:15am to find our 6:30am flight cancelled. There was no rep at the gate to explain or assist. Customer service told us all passengers had been re-booked for the 7:30 am flight. It was delayed to 8:30am. That one was delayed to 10:00am. Delayed again! We were boarded at noon and after sitting 30 minutes, still attached to the jet way, we were made to deplane because they had no pilot! The flight left at 1:00pm. We fly six times each year. Never flying United again!

United Airlines Company Information