2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.73/5

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: May 25, 2020

I originally purchased two tickets for my friend and I to go to Charleston, SC. The dates for the trips were May 23rd-25th. Then this whole COVID pandemic happened. Of course, I deemed it not safe for me to go. So I contacted Orbitz (the site I used to purchase the tickets). The rep told me she would credit my account in 7-10 days. When that did not happen, I disputed the charges with my credit card company. But United Airlines fought back and now the charges are rebilled to my account. That is not right. I could not fly on an airplane to another state when there's a pandemic going on. It's not safe. It's not wise. It's not right that United Airlines is doing this. I feel they are cheating me out of my money, especially since I never used those tickets.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I had a trip booked for April 23 2020 to see my son get married. Due to the outbreak of Covid 19 everything has been cancelled, shut down, etc. so there is no wedding happening. United received a bailout from the government. Took my money and still won't issue me a refund. Travel vouchers is what they gave me which I have no use for. They are not very accommodating and not doing the right thing in this situation. I don't typically fly but if I ever do again I will not be flying United. They are the worst.

Original review: May 2, 2020

My son had a flight from Las Vegas to Australia today. He had many articles to take with him that we had purchased for his family and needed to take 4 suitcases. I called United and they told me that 2 suitcases would be free, a cost of $45 for the third, and $55 for the fourth. I confirmed that with the gentleman on the phone because I thought that I misheard him. The last thing that I said to him was "so it will only be $90 for all 4?" and he said that I was correct. Well, my son got to the airport and the man that checked him in told him that it would be a total of $400 for the two extra bags; $200 each!!! When my son asked the gentleman what would happen if he didn't have the extra money, the man said that he could take 2 bags with him and he could leave the other two there with them. This is absolutely unacceptable and this is just one more reason that I do not ever and will NEVER fly United Airlines.

Original review: April 28, 2020

Refusing to give refunds during COVID 19 while events and trips are being canceled all over America. They're getting their help from the government to recoup cost lost, but not refunding money to the customers. We're not all in this together.

Original review: April 27, 2020

Where is Arnold Diaz when you need him? Shame shame shame. Bought tickets way before corona. Executive stay at home orders in NJ and California (destination). No nonessential travel per governors. Not even a place open to eat in Cali. Millions of people out of work. This healthcare worker essential and unable to take vacation. And GUESS WHAT??? Make everybody’s hardship worse= UNITED WOULD NOT ISSUE A REFUND. What a sorry state of affairs. Shaking my head. United has lost my respect and my business.

Original review: April 26, 2020

UNITED AIRLINES SET TO MAKE A FORTUNE ON THE BACK OF COVID-19 VIRUS. Booked two return tickets Heathrow to New York with United Airlines travelling 16th-21st April through Expedia. On the 18th March flight times were advanced by 3 hours now departing at 12:00hrs not the 09:00hrs times. The return flight delayed by 2 hours. On 16th March UK Foreign Office directive was 'against all but essential travel to the US'. Also, on 16th March, US Homeland Security suspended, UK citizens travelling from the UK, entry into the US (If arriving would be quarantined 14days)!

On the 31st March both flights were cancelled by United Airlines via Expedia. I have now written numerous emails to United Airlines and have only received standard replies. Hiding behind the small print - T&C's state that if United Airlines cancel a flight a refund is in order unless another flight is available with 6 hours of the cancelled departure time (inc non refundable tickets)!! I wrote to the CEO, Oscar Munoz@united.com only to receive a 'phone call from Customer Services telling me that a flight left Heathrow at 10:00hrs on the 16th April and we should have been on it?? THIS FLIGHT BEING WITHIN THE 6 HOURS!! The very day the UK and US restrictions were introduced. I and Expedia knew nothing about this flight?? I had NO tickets for this flight, no seats booked and no hold baggage paid for!

I am horrified that United Airlines, given all the above restrictions on travel, could expect anybody to fly! It could have been a death sentence!! United Airlines has no integrity, is unethical, dishonest, unrealistic, downright stupid, devoid of Customer Service and just a money grabbing outfit all for the sake of 2 tickets!! I was offered vouchers which were NOT acceptable, and in any event, after all of the hassle, I would not set foot on a United Airlines aircraft, even if they offered me a Round the World 1st Class ticket!! Note both American Airlines and Delta have refunded, non-refundable tickets!

Original review: April 21, 2020

Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, my travel plans were canceled well before my April 2020 flight. United Airlines only offered me a $750 voucher towards future travel. In these uncertain times, I'd prefer a full refund.

Original review: April 20, 2020

I will never fly with United Airlines. I bought a ticket and insurance thru travel guard. I can't fly due to immune compromised. The ticket and insurance were ordered March 1 2020. Cancelled March 4 2020. My doctor filled out the required paperwork once I received it and it was sent to the airlines and travel guard the same day. I have been given the run around all the way up to today. Every excuse in the book. I now have my credit card company involved as I filed a dispute of the charges. There are over 600 airline employees with coronavirus and many have died. They are also getting a huge bailout. My daughter was refunded immediately without any issues and did not have insurance. This is nothing but a big rip off and fraud for not refunding me.

Original review: April 19, 2020

We booked a flight from SLC to Tahiti, planning well in advance including trip cancellation insurance. Prior to the trip, French Polynesia closed its borders due to COVID19 unless the passengers quarantined for 14 days upon arrival. We were booked on a 12 day sailing trip in Tahiti so a 14 day quarantine was not possible. We re-booked our trip with the first available yacht to accommodate our crew but it was outside the 1 year of the original purchase of the flights. UNITED REFUSED to refund our flights (over $3000!). I will take every opportunity to tell others to NEVER fly United both personally and over social media! I will NEVER fly United Airlines again. (I can't afford to keep GIVING them my money!)

Original review: April 14, 2020

I got screwed over by United Airlines purchased through JustFly.com. So Covid-19 got my wedding canceled and I had to also cancel our flight/ honeymoon. I bought the travel insurance for $50 per person and the extra cancellation policy for $20 per person. When it came down to cancellation and trying to reschedule we got absolutely no flexibility. We had paid for a great flight and flight time for May 24th to Hawaii, Kauai from LAX and a great flight and flight time back home. Now, I canceled and got my credit, but rescheduling my flight has been an absolute nightmare. I wanted to get my honey and I a flight and flight time with our credit that would be similar departure and arrival times to our originals but I couldn't. I couldn't even pay the difference.

Our original flights were leaving LAX at 8:30 am and arriving in Hawaii at 11:41 am, and then leaving Hawaii at 1:00 pm and arriving at LAX at 9:42 pm. NOW our flights are leaving LAX at 10:15 am and arriving in Hawaii at 1:35 pm (which is fine) and leaving Hawaii at 9:15 PM and arriving in San Fran at 5 am with a 2-hour layover and then flying to Ontario around 7:15 am and arriving sometime around 9 am. What really made me not feel treated well was that we didn't get any flexibility with our "credit." I wanted to buy a new flight with the same provider (United) and use the credit then just pay the difference but it wouldn't allow me. Really unhappy. Hopefully, they will reach out and right this wrong.

United Airlines Company Information