2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.80/5
Based on 1,674 ratings submitted in the last year

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

The agent was grumpy after kiosk failed. Plane was dirty and seats small. The overhead was full so I had to put briefcase under seat where feet go and felt like prison. But at least we lived and arrived on time.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Despite hard press, our flight was fantastic. The staff was friendly and very helpful helping us get to where we needed to be. Service was completed in a timely manner and you could tell employees enjoyed their work.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

The flight went as well as expected. There were no problems with the crew or the jet plane itself. Everything went fine the entire flight and I will fly United again.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I flew economy and had a window seat towards the back of the plane. It was an overseas flight in excess of 10 hours, therefore meals and drinks were offered, however by the time they reached the rear of the plane many options were no longer available. The number of passengers is not a secret and supplies should be calculated accordingly. This is not the first time it has happened to me.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

On the United Airlines Website (www.united.com) you can select "Book Award Travel" when you are attempting to make a reservation. There is a flight pair from Sydney Australia to Los Angeles connecting through Aukland on Air New Zealand, a United partner airline. These flights come up frequently as available, in Business Class from Aukland to Los Angeles (Coach from Sydney to Aukland) and the cost is 80,000 points and a small amount of fees and taxes. When you attempt to book these flights you can get all the way to the final page where you select "Purchase" and you get an error message with the phone number of their website support. I spent 2 hours on the phone with one of their agents and then a Supervisor. Ultimately they told me there was nothing they could do and to try back again in 48 hours.

I have tried back many times now, found the same flights, and keep getting the same error message. I have called and spoken with their Customer Service and written a lengthy letter explaining the issue. In my mind this is the definition of False Advertising if you offer a service and simply cannot provide it. I received a letter back from United Airlines where they admit that this is out of their control. Again, the definition of False Advertising to offer a Goods or Services that you simply cannot provide. It makes them look "Good" because 80,000 points is a good offer for this flight but it's a ruse. I have multiple screenshots that show the date and time, the flight pair, the mileage offer and the error code. I have attached one pair to this complaint. You can see the flight pair, the mileage cost and in the upper right-hand corner the day & time from my computer. The date was a few days ago.

I suggested to United that they could either offer me a "Raincheck" for these flights and then find out why the error code keeps coming up or, more logically, offer me a similar flight on a United flight which they absolutely have control over. They have daily non-stops from Sydney to Los Angeles and you can often find them in Business Class for 70,000 points, 10,000 points less than the offer they can't fulfill. They have repeatedly refused to follow this course of action either. The airlines have gained notoriety in the past decade for their business practices. One of those practices is to simply tell you there is nothing they can do. They leave people sitting on the tarmac for hours, kick them off of flights for no good reason, and I'm sure the list is much longer. The point being the "I'm sorry there is nothing I can do excuse" is simply not valid.

The Supervisor for website support told me she was going to report this error. That was a week ago and the flights are still showing up. Again, I received a letter from United where they admit they simply can't offer those flights reliably and, in fact, they don't seem to be able to offer them at all. I spoke with Air New Zealand, the partner airline that the flights would be on and they had no idea why United could not fulfill that offer.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My last 6 flights I had 5 cancellations necessitating an overnight stay. Most caused by no flight crew. How can you not have a flight crew 4 out of 6 flights? United paid for hotel stays but would rather be home!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Flying United is usually okay overall. I haven't yet to experience this personally, but I know one of my family members that flies united on a regular basis, always experiences delays in flights and that is pretty frustrating.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Due to airline we missed a connecting flight & had to stay. We were given coupons only accepted @ airport or hotel for $7 per meal. As our flight from the connect was 30 hours after scheduled take off, we were given 3 coupons each. Moral: Take extra credit cards for meals.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My bag was lost in Chicago. My travel purpose was a business meeting in Vilnius, (VNO) next day but I did not had any clothes. I filed a report and was told that my bag will be delivered next morning and they have tons of flights between Copenhagen and Vilnius, but I got it right before my flight back to USA. I am very disappointed with your service and I do not even know why I fly there if my meeting was ruined.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I booked a UAL flight which I had to changed. The level of incompetence displayed by the agent was terrible, she split my wife and I reservation into two separate reservations, failed to assign seat and charged an additional 50k points on top of change fee. I spoke with a Supervisor. However, he appeared oblivious but did assign seats but failed to connect the reservations. I contacted UAL customer service, they apologized but failed to take any corrective action.

I am a Bi Weekly frequent Flyer with UAL and they do a good job at the gate, on the plane and at the counter. However, if you ever have an unusual situation and need to call their res center, plan for the worst. It appears the reservation agents are now "minimum wage contract employees" through a call center that don't take ownership. I recommended UAL raise base wages and skills sets for all contract staff in customer-facing functions. Otherwise service will continue to deteriorate to the level of Frontier and Spirit.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I fly economy on day flights and short hops, economy-plus on long hauls and night flights. I have flown with several different airlines but generally use United in an attempt to earn air miles/loyalty points. What I like about flying can apply to any airline: when the food is decent, when the flight is smooth, when the cabin crew are pleasant and helpful.

On any airline you may have a rough ride, lousy food, a surly steward. Mostly it's a crap-shoot - no one airline has the corner on "best value" or "worst employees." That's just as true of banks, grocery stores, and post offices. What has annoyed me most recently about flying is specifically about the big jets and long flights: yes, all the airlines have made seats smaller so they can cram more passengers into economy. Not one of them has increased the number of bathrooms. And they all get ratty about "congregating in the aisles" and about sitting down when the fasten-seatbelts sign is on. That concerns me a lot more than whether or not I can bring a jar of peanut butter on board.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I am a long time frequent flying of United and many of my trips have been overseas. I have found the flight attendants to be accommodating and friendly. The only delays I've had have been weather related and I've never had a lost bag nor difficulty storing a carry on. The few times I've flown other airlines, generally due to routes not covered by United, I've been appalled at the lack of courtesy from check-in to baggage claim.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I have been with United for many years and I will continue to use them as the airline of my choice. Never had any problems and I have recommended United to family and friends.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

We were given no notice of a 30 min "you ain't getting on" policy. we were at the counter at 28 min. No refund $1263.00, and missed our daughter's event. Except for a funeral, I will never fly again in the continental US.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I would prefer to fly SW but our airport (IAH) doesn't have service anymore and must go to southside airport (Houston Hobby), over 2+ hours away. So, not much competition for our destinations. United is ok, just don't see price competition.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I have never ever had any problems with United so I am surprised that they have been in the news lately - but I am happy with them - always on time and workers are always polite.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

WiFi was out in the beginning of our trip and ok because they could not process credit card purchase, snacks and drinks were free. But one of the airline personnel knocked very hard into my daughter's arm and never apologize. Just kept on going. My daughter was very upset and it was painful.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

The last 2x I flew United - 1st class - I was treated to this great flight, out of Cleveland Hopkins Airport. Cost about $600 - round trip - Good sale price. Booked about 6 months in advance. Prices change often and should watch every day for sale. Had private line for security check. 1st on & off. Free meals & liquor - very good service. Huge leather seats & good leg room - private bathroom & overhead. Free check-in for 2 suitcases. Was treated like a queen. Was very comfortable and worth the extra money with a 4 & half hour trip.

I would treat myself to travel 1st class again. It made a long flight so much more easier. Wish United would bring back the direct flights to Vegas again. Too many stops now - longer in plane, think a regular seat would be uncomfortable for 6 or more hours, esp, if you have a bad back or are a larger person. That long a trip, if, I went United again- would have to do 1st class. You will have to read their policy to see if it suits you.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

For four years in a row I was Platinum 1K on United - they never quite lived up to Continental, but I flew weekly out of EWR and United was the best carrier for me. Service started going downhill, being 1K started to be less of a perk and I never felt as if I was more than a filled seat, so I started flying other airlines. Imagine my shock when I got treated better on American by simply paying a bit more for legroom or on JetBlue and Southwest as well. When you are treated better as an occasional flyer than you are as a frequent flyer - something is wrong.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I like the customer service with United Airlines. I stick with them. I use the United Club Room when I travel to relax before boarding my next flight and decompress to pre-boarding. Most of my air travel experiences have been positive, while I am adaptable to unexpectable delays. I can roll with the punches. I have found that most flight attendants are very friendly and helpful to the needs of their passengers. Gate agents are helpful, polite, and help you get settled in once on board. Sometimes, a passenger can show an attitude of an "air" of special treatment, but not often. On arrival, flight attendants "always" say "thank you" for flying with us. It is always great to be in special care for UNITED AIRLINES. My family and I have been flying with you since 1965.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Some staff are rude and plane is usually late. The only good thing with United Airlines is their reward programs but the negatives more than offset the rewards.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

United Airlines are helpful when asked and are polite and very official. Also, not overly outgoing but hey they have an airline to run.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I have always had good experience flying on United Airlines. I had flown hundreds of thousands of miles with them. There will always be situations when schedules change, unforeseen circumstances, or any number of "flies in the ointment", but this happens with EVERY air carrier. Overall, United has been my first choice in air travel, and I recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I was injured skiing and I tried to find a way to get home early but I was given no options. I could leave early by buying a new ticket, but there was no refund on the existing one.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I booked a trip from Colorado Springs, CO to Boston, MA. The trip there was uneventful however when I attempted the return trip on Sept 14th, departing at 1:30pm and arriving home at 7:04pm, however the flight from Boston was delayed for more than an hour and a half. When I arrived in Houston TX, my connecting flight had already departed. I was directed to speak with a customer service representative who attempted to rebook my flight to Colorado Springs. After 30 minutes, she told me the airline could get me to Denver, CO but no further. I told her that was unacceptable but I was told that was the best they could do, but she could place me on a standby list for later that night. My flight from Houston that night was delayed so I arrived in Denver after my connecting flight departed for Colorado Springs had already departed.

I was once again directed to the customer service representative who informed me there were no other flights that day to my final destination and suggested I take a shuttle home then present the cost to the airline for reimbursement. I asked for my luggage at that point but was told my luggage could not be found. At that point it was already 11:30pm and I was tired and frustrated. The representative suggested I book a hotel in Denver then request the airline reimbursement me for the cost. I stated that was unacceptable then she stated the airline would book a room for me and scheduled a flight for me to return home the next day. I accepted the hotel, arriving there after 1:30am.

The next morning a family member drove the 115miles from Colorado Springs to Denver to give me a ride home. The airlines stated my luggage still could not be located but they would have it delivered to my home when it was found. The luggage was finally delivered to my house that night. I sent a complain form to the airlines, however, I have not heard from them. I spent 41 years serving this great country retiring from the military then working another 20 years as a civilian traveling for the military with this trip being my worst experience.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I booked a ticket with United last September and the flight was for October 12, 2016. The ticket was over $1000. I had to cancel my trip because of a back injury. I was then told that I would be subject to a cancellation fee but that I would receive a credit for the remaining balance if I booked another flight within one year. I called them today to book another flight thinking that I was well within the one-year period since today is September 21, 2017. I was then informed that the ticket had expired since they calculate the one-year period not from the flight date (which most if not all people would assume it is from the flight date) but rather from the booking date which was September 17, 2016. So, I was informed that I "missed" the deadline by four days using their misleading timetable. Of course, I was not informed of this a year ago. Obviously, I would have booked the new flight 4 days ago if I had been made aware.

Just as a side note, the first agent I spoke with tried to transfer to their international desk since she saw Panama City as my final destination. I had to point out to her that it was in Florida, not Central America. I have flown close to 1 million miles on United over the years. They obviously don't care which is not surprising for such a poor customer service company. I asked to talk to someone else and I was told that the second person was the "last point of contact" and that if I didn't like their action, I could write a complaint which would not ever be looked at for 7-14 business days.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My United flight from San Francisco to Medford OR was canceled because the "crew wanted to take a nap". That is what we were told by the flight crew and gate agents after we boarded the flight. The crew directed us to return to the terminal. While waiting for another crew to arrive and after we were called to board for a second time we were told the flight was canceled due to weather! How convenient! What a lie! There should be rules in place to protect passengers from this manipulation. The nightmare begins! I have no choice other than to drive because this was a business trip and I was due in Medford that evening. Customer service told there was no other flight available. Car rental cost me $978.00 and instead of arriving in Medford at 1:30PM my party and I arrived at midnight after a long and stressful drive.

On the return I found out that my entire party’s reservation was canceled due to this canceled flight. The agent who re-booked our tickets told me I would be given a full refund for my car rental. I asked her twice to make sure I understood. She told me her name and that 100 percent will be refunded to me. (Don’t they record the calls?) I should mention that the return trip was not without problems. They were disorganized to the point that they actually had to re-book my party’s flights 4 times and each time was worse than the next! This was all due to lack of management and service.

Today... 30 days later, 2 emails, 3 phone calls, waiting on hold for hours. Yes hours, hours of my time trying to get someone to help me... I was offered a 52.00 refund and 100.00 voucher. How insulting! I was treated so badly! Their agents are rude and condescending and I am appalled. I am seeking the full refund for my car rental as it was promised to me, as well as a full refund for my ticket, upgrade and baggage. It is the very least they can do to extend goodwill.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Since the merger with Continental, customer service is poorer and the airline nickels and dimes customers with fees and less amenities. In addition, flight time options are not always convenient.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I only fly once and it was a very short trip one way so everything was great especially my first flight. I flight from Detroit Michigan to Chicago and I would like to fly more and will as soon as my finances let me.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I have flown numerous times and have had no problems, the flights have been great and service is exceptional. The flight crew was courteous and friendly too.

United Airlines Company Information