2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.6/5 (1769 ratings)

About United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: March 11, 2019

We missed a connecting flight to Quad Cities from O'Hare and despite United Airlines having seats on 3 later flights, they wanted us to wait until the next day (Saturday) for a flight. No live human to talk to. Only some jack** on the phone.

Original review: March 10, 2019

First of all, when you book with United hotels you're actually booking with Booking.com or some other outside reservations company. I booked a hotel in Florence, Italy for four nights for two people. Since I'm traveling with my son I wanted to make sure we had two beds. The reservations person said we wouldn't be guaranteed two beds although they would try. So I spent more money and booked a triple room because it said a triple room would have a double bed and one twin bed.

When I received the confirmation, it said I would have one bed. Apparently the reservation said only one person. I called back United immediately and explained there would be two people and since I paid for a triple room we should have at least two beds! They said there was nothing they could do because it was a non-refundable room and a triple room does not mean it's a room for 3 people, even though the site says a triple is a double bed and a twin bed. They said they would put through my request to an "escalation" group, whatever that is.

Two days later I got an email saying they could not change it as the hotel would not allow it. I called the hotel directly in Italy and they told me a triple room means there are up to 3 beds in a room. Thank you! But the reception desk said I had to call the booking department on Monday for the hotel to make a change. Since it was a Sunday I called back United (or rather Booking.com) and see if they could change it since I made the reservation with them and they had my money. the first rep told me he could not change it and had to abide by the escalation people. I asked to speak to a supervisor who repeated the same mantra -that a triple room does not mean a three-person room. She called the hotel which confirmed the room could have up to 3 beds and she said she would change it to at least two beds. She did apologize. I'm waiting for a confirmation. But seriously, who needs all this aggravation??

Original review: March 10, 2019

I was on the flight UA999 on the 7th of March. A orthodox Jewish man asked the steward to find a place next to his friends. The head steward Janson didn't allow even when the steward of the ward showed him a empty seat. I heard the man asking the head steward, "What have I done to you to get this kind of service?" The head went to the door and called assistance and took off the man off the plane. I was shocked to see that in 2019 in the United States this could happened. I asked Janson if we can do anything to get him back. Janson replied, "Shut your mouth as you can be next..." I urgently asked the company to look into this incident and making sure that stewards are compliant with the high standards of service.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Very hostile towards customers. Flight attendants treat you like cattle. Very ridged in treatment, not understanding at all. Do not allow relocating to empty seats to allow for more comfort of passengers.

Original review: March 9, 2019

We purchased 4 tickets to Japan through United reservations. Actually the call center in Philippines. My wife is from the Philippines so she was able to communicate with the agent very easily and clearly of our intentions and concerns. We followed the agent's directions on which flights to purchase that would give us flexibility in case we only needed the return portion of our daughter's flight in case she didn't need the departure part. Well of course she left early and didn't need the departure part. So when we followed the agent's instructions of course all 3 of the customer in-service agents told us the exact opposite of what the booking agent told us.

We spent nearly $6000 in flights to Japan. Had to pay $200 to cancel daughter's flight altogether and $1000 to book another round trip ticket for her from Japan to the states. In which she won't use the return to Japan portion. When I sent in a complaint about it the customer in-service agent said their agents only give recommendations and it's my responsibility to know United's policies and procedures. Will never fly them again and none of our friends here and in Japan will use them or their partner airlines.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I fly United because I have to for work. The people on the counters act like they hate their jobs and people in general and the flight attendants are not much better. Just once I would like to see them smile and just try to be nice! One time one actually sat on my arm rest to flirt with my boss. I gently told her he was a happily married man and she said "I don't care".

Original review: March 8, 2019

I booked airline tickets to Chicago and at the end of selecting my flight (2 tickets) Hotel options were there. I knew where I wanted to stay and the hotel I was looking for was there. In appearance I was dealing with Hilton as the pictures of the hotel, all the local phone numbers etc were just as their website. I went through the options and booked 2 rooms, 1 adult in each room. In the end I gave my credit card to "hold" my rooms.

I reviewed my confirmation the following day and realized it was only showing 1 room so I called the hotel and they confirmed only one room. I called United at the only number given on their confirmation e-mail 866-797-0578 and when trying to talk to a customer representative about only having 1 room instead of 2, they hung up. I tried twice again and was hung up on. It was a busy day so I waited and called back the next day. Hung up on 5 more times... Surely trying to add a second room should not be an issue but apparently these guys (Kevin and Mike) are paid on some commission but not paid for customer service.

Needing 2 rooms I called the hotel directly and reserved 2 rooms and then went to cancel my prior reservation. Having waited a second day after being hung up on the first...I was charged a cancellation fee...Tried calling and finally got someone to listen (new reservations) and was told they are sorry but that is policy... First never once did I know I was dealing with Expedia as everything referred to Hilton or United Airline...even confirmation was from United... My Advice is deal directly with the hotels and Fly Delta or SouthWest or someone that at least will talk to you when an issue arises.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I flew with UA on Feb. 24 from Beijing to RDU, and back again on March 6, 2019. On both trips, I found the service by ticketing agents as well as onboard staff to be courteous and on point. Overall I have to say everything was as perfect as could be expected for an economy class ticket. On the flight to RDU, the plane was a brand new aircraft and simply wonderful inside with electric outlets for ALL seats. (The Boeing 777 on the flight back only had electric outlets between seats, so each 3-seat row only had 2 outlets.)

In a perfect world the seats would be larger and/or more comfortable. Again however you get what you pay for in regards to economy, economy plus, business... etc. Honestly it wasn't all that bad even on a 14 hour flight to/from Beijing. The obvious "trick" is to get on board expecting beforehand a small seat rather than a throne.

I found the cabin crew throughout to be on point and prompt with any requests made. I probably shouldn't say it, but I wasn't charged for 2 bottles of Bacardi on BOTH long flights (4 total). It seemed the cabin crew willfully decided to give me free booze even while reaching for my credit card. The only small thing I might have negative to say was that as other dirty passengers left/threw/dropped their napkins/plastic this or that in the aisles, the cabin crew walked past it over the course of the whole flight rather than pick up debris from the aisle. I live in S. Korea and fly quite regularly back and forth to the US. I honestly can't remember if the airline I flew within 2017 was UA or not, but when I fly back later this year I will specifically speak to my local travel agent about booking with UA.

Original review: March 8, 2019

United delivers highly inconsistent service. Some of its employees try to do good work, but they are more than offset by others who are indifferent (at best). To anyone who worked in or lead an organization of more than 100 employees it is painfully on obvious that management is ineffectual. If competition in air travel were as robust as in banking, manufacturing, or most retail services (groceries, clothing, home appliances, et al) United would be out of business and so would American and Delta. I travel a great deal for leisure and recreation. Whenever possible I choose foreign carriers over the American legacy carriers because they are so much better even at slightly higher prices.

Original review: March 8, 2019

United Airlines has a good staff at Tulsa and Denver International Airports (as well as elsewhere), at the gates, on the aircraft, and over the phone. The regional service jets are alright, and the staff is reasonable about placing roller board luggage on the plane.

Original review: March 7, 2019

We are flying from UA7554 from SLC To LAX. It got delayed 3 times 8 am to 10 am to 12 pm to 2 pm. They are just a jerk, do not care about customers. I went for a refund. They are not willing to help. I will never ever fly in this airlines. I strongly recommend not to fly with this airline.

Original review: March 7, 2019

QRO - Queretaro, Mexico - to IAH Houston Texas - 2 hour flight seated in a United Airlines - Embraer 175 operated by Mesa Airlines. The seats had 0 - zero - padding and likened itself to sitting on a wooden church pew. I am not exaggerating. Literally NO padding. If one inch (1") of padding was added to each seat, the plane would lose 2 rows of seats (8 seats) for that flight segment. Corporate greed couldn't be worse (of course it could be, but you get my point). See you, United Airlines, NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: March 7, 2019

On a flight from RDU to Mumbai via Newark on 6th March'19 the flight was supposed to reach Newark at 5:30 pm. It got delayed by 2 hrs 15 mins. We were on the runway stuck in flight and we waited like that for over an hour. During this time, we received no help from customer service, missed the flight to MUM by 5 mins standing on the boarding gate arguing with insensitive and rude airline staff, no help by airlines. Worst experience. There is simply no coordination between the staff. We missed flight standing on the boarding gate because of United Airlines, there were 30 people with us. Shame on the airlines for harassment, will never travel with United Airlines and suggest the same to everyone.

Original review: March 7, 2019

It is really scary at first but then it's gone. Cool and exciting all at the same time then the food is ok. The ride is cool and you get to one place to another place fast and you can see the sky really good.

Original review: March 7, 2019

We flew United from Newark, NJ to Honolulu, HI recently. My husband had previously called the airline to verify whether there would be food available on our 11+ hour flight. They assured him that there would be meals for purchase (gone are the days of providing any type of meal to a passenger, I get that). So during this long flight the flight attendants came around with the food. They informed us that all they had left were the snack boxes. They only had 10 sandwiches from the start on a sold-out flight of 300+ passengers, and they were gone by row 3! These snack boxes are awful, at best. High fat, high sodium, high sugar crap, and not much food at all.

I'm sorry, but in >11 hours people get hungry. Even if we were to purchase something at the airport pre-flight, how would we keep anything cold? I don't want to start a vacation with food poisoning, thank you. Then there was the issue with the dirty, filthy, run-down plane. Every window, table, and seat was dirty. I looked up from the window seat and saw mildew. So the money isn't being put into food nor cleaning. Whose pockets are our dollars lining? I will NEVER fly United again. I sent them a complaint email and have yet to hear anything back from them.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Too many delays, poor seating, no communication on delays, very poor customer service agents, very stupid phone line, very long wait time to talk to agents.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I have flown more than 2.5 million miles on United. I am disappointed at their recent changes to their frequent flier program. It appears that being a loyal customer is no longer as important to United. I used to fly business class to Europe and elsewhere frequently, but now find that United is no longer price competitive in this class of service, so I shop around more. United is about average on service so is not offering more for the higher prices.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Just returned from New Zealand/Australia with United. Seats were comfortable for economy, special meals were promptly served and were delicious. Staff was friendly and effective.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Decent seats and a bit more legroom than their competitors. I like that there are video screens on each seat back. One feature I enjoy lets you monitor the plane’s flight progress. The crews are friendly and helpful.

Original review: March 4, 2019

The airline personnel were helpful when unloading the plane with connection information. They helped with how to find connecting gates which can be very confusing. Some even took me to the board and showed me how to read it.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Issues with flight changes that don’t allow enough time to change gates! The size of seats are ridiculous and then to charge extra for another inch of leg room is crazy! Plus allowing passengers to check oversize bags at the gate so they avoid baggage fees the honest people pay for!

Original review: March 2, 2019

Never flying United Airlines again. I recently took a trip from North Dakota to Brisbane Australia and back. United managed to ruin over 60% of my flights. It started on my 2nd flight on the way there. The aircraft was delayed for almost 3 hours and did not take off until it should have been landing in San Francisco. Not only that we as customers were given different reasons as to the delays. One said too much rain for 1.5 hours of the delay and the other said too much wind for the other 1.5 hour delay. Landed in San Francisco. The ground was barely wet and there was no wind at all. Get off the plane to the overhead pagers telling us that they are going to close the door for the connecting flight to Auckland NZ, mind you 35 passengers were on the plane late from Denver. Plane gets into NZ late. Miss my connection and have to sit in NZ for 6 hours until the next flight leaves for Brisbane.

Return trip stuck in Denver again. Flight crew lied to passengers. Said it was weather related when in reality they were out of hours. Given 6 hours in a hotel room to sleep and then back to the airport for the flight to be cancelled yet again. Crew blamed weather and that was a lie. The aircraft they were flying was not the proper aircraft to land on the runway in ND as it had no reverse thrusters. Same aircraft as the night before so they lied about twice to their customers. Customer Service desk in Denver was not helpful at all. Had to catch a flight out that night to Bismarck which is 3 hours away from home when I should've been flying into Williston 45 mins away. Land in Bismarck and my luggage was sent to Williston and not moved over onto the proper plane.

3 hour drive back from Bismarck and my luggage should've been delivered to my door and yet it was not. Had to make the delivery company deliver it that night like I had informed Williston United personnel that it needed to be. Had to wait almost an extra 2 hours for my luggage to be delivered when it is a 45 minute drive thanks to slow and lazy delivery service. Wrote to Customer Care and they offered me a lousy 300 dollar flight voucher. They offer up to 1k dollar flight vouchers when they overbook a plane yet 300 dollars is acceptable to them after wasting 30 plus hours of a paying customers life??

United has 100 percent lost my business and I will make sure I inform everyone I know to choose other Airlines. I am writing this so that if anyone considering flying United Reads this to be aware and to stay away from them. As they will Lie to you without issues and they will do absolutely nothing to make things right when they provide horrible service and cause you to be late getting to and from your destinations. They simply do not care as a Corporation about their Customer base.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had to go to Denver for a symposium through the university I am attending. While I was boarding the flight to come home, I had a medical issue that I couldn't avoid. In an effort to keep from swallowing my lower denture plate during this medical issue, I took my lower plate out. The male flight attendant took them and I haven't seen them since. All the male flight attendant could talk about is the little blue pill that he also takes, wanting me to give him mine. I do not carry the script with me and, even if I did, I wouldn't have given him any. Apparently he got pissed off when I wouldn't give him any and threw my lower denture plate in the trash. Now United won't replace the lower plate that the male attendant obviously threw away which cost $2,000 just because he didn't get any of his little blue pills that weren't his to begin with!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I purchased a flight through a third party travel company for my, March 2019 trip. Afterwards, I was sent an email which forbids me from enjoying my experience by imposing severe limitations. I hope this site allows me to upload pictures regarding, United’s Basic Economy Restrictions. Here’s my review which I sent to, United:

United has a lot of nerve, cheapening the experience of loyal customers. Will oxygen be provided for the duration of my flight? Now that United is in competition with cheapy, cheap airlines like, Frontier and Spirit where customer service is lacking unless of course you upgrade & pay $400.00. The nerve of this airline imposing restrictions after my flight has been purchased. Don’t worry, what goes around comes around and since United has chosen to stick it to its customers in a political climate where stability and loyalty are needed, it’ll happen to United too. Don’t worry about my family seeking United to book our flights as we do often, those days are gone along with humans who need to travel with hygiene products and items in which to change into, God forbid - oh that’s right, that’ll be an extra, $400.00.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

The absolute worst airline I have ever flown. Flight attendants are lazy and don’t want to do the job that every other do (Delta, American, Alaskan, Southwest. And these are only the American based airlines we flown). All these airlines plus the several Asian airlines I have flown have always been extremely helpful and taken pride in the work. I booked these flights months ago and have literally had nothing but problems since. To start out after well over twelve hours between on the phone and Facebook messenger (because god forbid they actually respond on the post) they send you a private message to try and resolve. After all this time they said they had everything fixed then when we go to finally start our vacation they changed seats on my wife and I and we were no longer together. (Oh yeah and they were no help again.) Next flight was fine from Houston the Cancún.

Leaving Cancún to San Francisco they told us to just keep our Duty Free with us that they didn’t need it. (Ummmm this has never happened.) Upon arriving to San Francisco we are told we have to collect our bags and recheck them. Oh and we have to be able to fit 4 bottles of alcohol in 1 checked bag that was already overstuffed. (Yeah United also charges for every checked back so now I know why, they get to make another 50.00 for an additional checked bag.) After being sent to several different representatives by United personnel we ended up 30 minutes later back to the same one who gladly checked another bag (at that wonderful charge).

My United Mileage Plus card will be cancelled tomorrow, and I can assure you I will put this on every review site there is. BEWARE. UNITED AIRLINES is absolutely horrible, they will take more and more and give the consumer less each time. Oh by the way Cancún to San Francisco left at almost 6:00 p.m. and was 6 hours. They didn’t even offer a snack. Avoid them at all cost. Look around. There are much better airlines.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I fly in and out of Arcata/Eureka, CA airport (ACV) several times a year. Unfortunately, United is the only airline servicing this airport. Never once has a flight experience gone smoothly, but this last one was over the top. Due to a too tight connection between ACV and SFO, I had to reschedule the morning flight to San Francisco (SFO) on 1/30/19 to an evening flight the night before (1/29/19). There was a change fee of $200, plus an upcharge fee of $227. Then, on 1/29, my evening flight to SFO was cancelled with only two hours notification (I was coming to ACV from a destination an hour to the east). By the time I reached rebooking (a 30-minute wait on the phone), the best they could do was three days later. Unacceptable.

Through the diligence of the booking agent, I was able to get booked on a flight out of SFO the next day. In order to make that flight, I was rebooked to fly out of Redding (2 hours to the east of my location) at 6 am the next morning. That necessitated a middle-of-the-night taxi ride costing $300. I was assured by the booking agent that both the change fee and the upcharge would cancelled.

However, yesterday, a customer service rep informed me that was not the case--that I would be responsible for the uncharge, even though the flight was cancelled. The cancellation, she explained, was due to "weather." However, SFO was clear that night; I have found that UA uses the "weather" excuse often because they don't have to take care of your problem if that is the reason. To say that I am angry is an understatement. The entire trip was booked and paid for in advance. To have to pay again for a flight that did not take place is crazy. And certainly no way to do business.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Pros: Clean planes, excellent mobile app. Cons: Miserable customer service. I normally fly with the other major airlines and take 4-5 flights per month. I’m 6’8” and try to get an exit row for the additional leg room when it’s available. I’ve never had an issue changing my seat with any of the other major airlines. On this 1/2 full flight, the gate agent and flight attendant would not move my assigned seat into the empty exit row. They followed a poorly constructed customer policy and stated the cost to move into the fully empty exit row would be $88. I’m completely OK selling this premium seat assignment if somebody is willing to pay the premium, but there is no incremental cost to move a person into the empty seat. The standard coach seats are miserable and smaller than other airlines I’ve flown. I’ve not flown United in the past 4+ years and I’ll avoid them moving forward. Not a fan!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

This has happened twice in a week: Booked return, non-direct flight at United.com, received e-mail with the reservation number, went online to confirm reservation to find the first leg of travel was not booked. Spent an hour on the phone with United resulting in a higher fare to book my originally "purchased" flight. Always reconfirm your reservations!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

United Airlines Customer Service -- I had the seemingly bad luck of flying with your airline. My locator is **. After getting to the airport I found out my flight was cancelled. Once I found out I went to the nearest United ticket counter but on the way ran into a gate agent. She was shorter, fair complexion, Asian or Hispanic I believe with heavy makeup. I explained the situation and she says "you should have known the flight was cancelled since 1 pm." How does chastising me help me get home? I responded, "Sorry. I was at work. I didn't know." She keeps repeating, "Oh you were at work, oh you were at work." She tells me her plane is arriving which wasn't. At the gate refused to help and does a slight jog to the gate and tells me to go back through security to the ticket desk. I walk past get gate and get and still no plane in sight.

Once I get to the ticketing desk outside of security the agent simply keeps repeating that "flight is cancelled due to weather." I ask at least 5 times, "What does that mean." She reluctantly says after me asking repeatedly what does that mean, that I have to get myself a hotel for the night. She doesn't offer me any kind of information on how or who to call. She just ask if I was from there and I said no. After I ask another agent what does this mean she hands me a pink form with number and how to get a hotel. I then go back through security and once I look at the board I see a flight that will get me out of OKC with these very unhelpful United Employees.

I call customer service and they rebook me on the IAH flight so I can get out of OKC and guess whose gate it is... The gate agent who says she was so busy even though the plane had not arrived and was being very dismissive The agent on the phone checked me in and I had them on speaker phone. I explained that to her and she goes, "Policy is we can't let you on the flight because it's too close to departure." The same lady that told me I should have known in our previous encounter says "you should have called earlier."

I emphatically explain how when I'm checked in already and I'm on the phone with a United Employee. He was on speakerphone "are they not letting you board? You are checked in." She again says no and to talk to her supervisor and points. The supervisor was a heavier set taller ** woman and says no again after I too told her I was already checked in. She says it's policy but then reluctantly walks over and lets me board as if she was doing me a favor. You all cancel my flight and I get subjected to all of these hoops and harassment to get help. Your phone agent rebooks and checks me in only for your gate agent to deny me. Then all of a sudden they can let me on the flight. Apparently policy didn't matter then and I wish the ordeal stopped there.

When I get on the plane all of the bins are closed so I ask where can I put my bag. As far as I am concerned it could have been checked. The flight attendant Penny (tall older ** woman) gives me a bewildered "how do I know" look and ask what seat I'm in. It really didn't matter when I'm one of the last people on the plane and all bins are closed. I just needed a spot. I go to my seat and open multiple bins only for her to walk back and open one bin that has room and wasn't by my seat. Well why do you think I asked you in the first place?

I have been failed at multiple levels by United Airlines employees in OKC And would describe them nicely as less than helpful. Nothing about this experience makes me ever want to deal with your airline. I was literally in shock you all treat people like this and apparently your policy didn't matter to the three people that got on the plane after me.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I been travel with United Airlines for the past 6 months. Every time I flying out, the customers never nice or be polite once time. I really wonder why they are hired those people. Bad customer service. Never good even once time. My mom is handicap. She can’t not walk at all every time, I ask for a wheelchair assistance they never seem happy to provide services. Every single time I have to wait at least 20 mins. He even told my mom to walk, I told him, "If my mom fall I will sue your airline." Why I need handicap when you guys not help me. That suck! I’m so done with them! This airline so suck! Don’t ever fly out in Cleveland Ohio with United Airlines, they so race with Asian.

United Airlines Company Information