2. Travel

TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.86/5

TripAdvisor Reviews

Original review: May 25, 2019

I love that the reviews are from regular travelers, no commercial strings attached. The only problem I think they should pay attention to is a more critical review of the content, I mean, I see a lot of repeated photos, photos that do not add any info or meaning to other users and reviews that belong to different stablishments which affect the reputation of a place that has nothing to do with that one, for better or worse.

Original review: May 24, 2019

TripAdvisor had good deals available and the site is night and day more pleasant to use than hotel sites themselves. I like all the reviews and the way the reviews are organized. I don't really like the new TripAdvisor homepage though, it feels like a social network page and I don't need more of those in my life.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I feel the website is straight forward and meets my needs. The reviews from other travels is a huge plus. Photos are shared and questions are answered. The possibilities are endless with this website. I highly recommend TripAdvisor to assist in planning any trip. Also, trip routes are explained to some extent. They also work in conjunction with VRBO, which is huge in my opinion.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

The site is free, the reviews are written by everyday people, not tour operators, and I find when traveling this site gives me so many good choices to eat, stay or tours I might be interested in. I have used this site when traveling, it is my go-to site for information.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The site offers a multitude of options but not in a very clear format that makes complete booking of all travels services. What is needed if you decide to book air, hotel and car? It would be nice to have a complete itinerary for the whole booking in a final review before booking.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

In fact, they illegally get my personal data, and then simply blocked my account with active Tours without any explanation and without any reason! This is absolutely illegitimately! They have terrible Supplier Support. Every day, new person from Supplier Support sends me a new phony BS flavor e-mail. They lie. They ignore direct questions. They change their minds all the time.

A company like Tripadvisor cannot so easily disown a partner and allow partners to create these type of financial issues. Tripadvisor has a responsibility to ensure that each partner is financially stable, especially when it's an international company. Therefore, keep in mind. If you buy any tours on Tripadvisor or receive money for your services, then Tripadvisor can unilaterally block your account for no reason. You can simply lose money or personal information, while being in a foreign country, and you will not receive any intelligible actions from Tripadvisor Team. The Tripadvisor policy is similar to the virtual private crib policy. Fake reviews, winded ratings, terrible Supplier Support - everything is done from a position of self-profit.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

We booked two day trip tours online at viator.com for Torres Del Paine day trip in Chile (two bookings) and Los Glacier N.P. in Argentina this November. The first tour booking was $188 for 2 people and was canceled by the tour operator and refunded us. Then we booked another one, the same tour route but having restaurant lunch and price was $310 for 2 people. On the day of tour, there was no restaurant lunch, it was like the $188 one and our fellow traveler told us he paid only $68 per person. Overly over-charged us.

The trip for the glacier, long story sort, the tour operator did not come to pick us up on the tour day. We called and found out they would not come to us after the schedule the pickup time. The viator.com website would not gave us a refund saying the refund need to be 24 hours before the tour. (We called when back home they eventually refunded us.) Fortunately, we could find a local private driver for a private park trip at cheaper price, not wasting one vacation day in an foreign country. Our experience seems to be not using viator.com to book tours, over-priced and not reliable tour operators.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

UPDATE 10/28/2019: As a follow-up to my previous review on Tripadvisor, I just submitted another review - this time giving a restaurant a 3 (out of 5) with a mixed review - mostly good and one suggestion to make the restaurant better (to not re-use the oil from seafood for other food items - I'm allergic to some types of seafood). Once again, Tripadvisor would not publish my review. These people are a joke and their reviews and recommendations I now see are a farce.

Disgusting really.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 10/13/2019: I recently signed up for TripAdvisor given some great service that I experienced at one establishment, and some absolutely terrible service that I received at two others. Tripadvisor published the positive review, and removed the other two (unfavorable ones), thereby rigging the system. You wonder how some crappy hotels can be so highly rated? Look no further than Tripadvisor's disingenuously posting only the positive reviews. My unfavorable reviews had absolutely nothing unprofessional or unpublishable about them - just that they were unfavorable, and Tripadvisor evidently does not like that.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

TripAdvisor will not publish my honest reviews on numerous occasions. I can not leave my reviews and thoughts on restaurants. I’m trying to raise awareness on restaurants in the Seychelles that are hunting bats in an unsustainable manner and serving them in their restaurants.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I feel very upset as TripAdvisor, whilst I use it myself frequently, will offer absolutely no help whatsoever when a guest posts a review of a different property on my account. I reported it 3 times, called TA, explained that the guest did not stay with me, that since he (luckily) provided a photo, that one can see that this is not one of my property, as the picture showed a room with wooden floors (my hotel has carpets). The views are of some side street (my ones are of the historical square) but each time I am told they are leaving it here and will not do anything about it. I find this extremely unfair. I lost all my trust in this site. Sincerely, Helena.

Not sure about TripAdvisor?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

TripAdvisor.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team