TripAdvisor
3.85/5

Looking for a travel site?

TripAdvisor

Looking for a travel site?

723 TripAdvisor Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 25, 2019

I love that the reviews are from regular travelers, no commercial strings attached. The only problem I think they should pay attention to is a more critical review of the content, I mean, I see a lot of repeated photos, photos that do not add any info or meaning to other users and reviews that belong to different stablishments which affect the reputation of a place that has nothing to do with that one, for better or worse.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I feel the website is straight forward and meets my needs. The reviews from other travels is a huge plus. Photos are shared and questions are answered. The possibilities are endless with this website. I highly recommend TripAdvisor to assist in planning any trip. Also, trip routes are explained to some extent. They also work in conjunction with VRBO, which is huge in my opinion.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I really like TripAdvisor. It helps so much when traveling or just going out for dinner close by. I use it constantly, and love to post reviews from places I've visited. I think that the fact that there are many like me, make this site what it is. I have never been disappointed with the results. I read the good and the bad reviews to make my own conclusions, and have always been very well advised!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Catching an airport shuttle is generally, a pretty straightforward process. Our recent experience at Tampa International proved to be a notable exception. Because we had booked our reservation through a "Third Party," the agent for the shuttle service would not accept our voucher. Without an agent on the desk at the airport, negotiations had to be conducted by phone. To keep our long (2 hour) story short, let me point out that it's a good thing that our 3rd party was Viator. Although this was clearly a bungle by the shuttle company representative, the Viator rep was extremely empathetic. She apologized sincerely and arranged for a full refund. It's the kind of reassurance that eases the stress of travel. We won't hesitate to return to Viator, and feel confident in recommending the company to friends.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I will always use TripAdvisor for my bookings. Fast and easy. I have had no problems traveling to Asia and back several times. I love the reviews on TripAdvisor site, so much great information. If you are thinking of using another search engine, look at their reviews. I promise TripAdvisor is a lot better and they will continue to get better. I have read about their organization and it is solid.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: July 1, 2019

I recommend against using TripAdvisor - caveat emptor! It's very rare that I post a negative review. In this case, I'll make an exception. Although I'll never quite understand NO CANCELLATIONS or NO REFUNDS policies where it concerns travel, I'm sure most companies have their reasons. But TripAdvisor is purposefully misleading. I booked an event for a specific day weeks in advance and the day of travel changed.

Although TripAdvisor was clear that this particular booking was NO REFUNDS, they were NOT clear about changing the date (they imply with the same booking that you can MAKE A CHANGE or CANCEL, until you check out the fine print, of course). I just called them about a week in advance to ask if I could simply change the date of the booking. Not a refund request; just an unavoidable change in the date itself. Nope! So I'm out $100 for no reason, but it's the principle of the thing. They just lost me as a customer for life. With other travel and entertainment sites around, I recommend you check someone else out. I know I will.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I put a genuine bad review (my mother's death) of a hotel TripAdvisor promoting site and they took it down without verifying. The hotel is 隠庵 ひだ路, 687 Okuhida Onsengō Fukuji, Takayama-shi, Gifu-ken 506-1434, Japan. 〒506-1434 岐阜県高山市奥飛騨温泉郷福地687. 6GFJ+3M Okuhida Onsengo Fukuji, Takayama, Gifu, Japan. Kakurean.com. +81 578-89-2462.

Here are my reviews. 'Very very bad and nasty hotel. Not humane at all. My Sister went on a holiday and booked this hotel. 2 to 3 day before her checked in date, my mom passed away while she is in Japan. My Sister informed to cancel the hotel with my mom death certificate. Instead of being sympathetic of her situation, they immediately process the credit card payment when the policy is pay upon check in. While another hotel refunded a prepaid booking. Agoda even step in to help but they simply reject. Please boycott this hotel if you all have family.... Please verify if it is true. The public should know the truth.'

Original review: June 18, 2019

Incredible views and super clean, walking distance to town and grounds were beautiful, right on a private lake with private dock and secluded location, but still close to beach and shopping and main street Chatham.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Really awful. I have used that site for a while thinking it was a good platform to express my opinion on places, restaurants, hotels etc. Well it turned out I was wrong. I happened to be to a so called restaurant in Sicily and was treated really badly. I was unhappy with the food, service and treatment and I left a 100% honest review on what happened explaining everything. I got threads and insults from the owners in my personal email inbox. I let the site know about it. And even though my review was initially published and stayed on the site for 2 weeks it got removed!! I tried leaving a new one, but now all of those got rejected. James from support repeats same thing over and over, that they will not tell me why it was removed and can't publish it. I made a conclusion, TripAdvisor gets paid for this. It's NOT an independent platform as many wrote below. Don't use it. It's not worth it. I will not be using this scam site again.

Original review: June 15, 2019

TripAdvisor was pretty easy but my only issue was it wasn't the cheapest price. I found out after my trip. So when finding the place and the cheapest price. Shop around. The apps have something good about them all. Don't be lazy, or you'll be paying too much.

Original review: June 14, 2019

The hotel was priced Right, but the breakfast was lacking. It was just Danish and coffee primarily. There was cold biscuits and gravy and a waffle maker that was disgusting. They claimed they had eggs, but only hard boiled. The yogurt was expired and the fruit looked old.

Original review: June 13, 2019

We travel with 2 large dogs, well behaved, trained, never a problem, and I have found rooms reserved for people traveling with dogs to be generally disgusting. Some reservation sites are not helpful at all. TripAdvisor is.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Back up outside before parking vehicle. But staff was real nice. Breakfast was great but dinner no as good...really couldn't tell if people eating were actually staying at hotel. But worked for what we needed.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Everything was great, clean, comfortable. Good facilities, easy to get information from front desk, extremely friendly staff who knew everything about the local area and tourist destinations near and far.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Wonderful place, but the office procedures are outdated. I booked a room for my son and I had to fax over my credit card info more than once. And it was hard getting a hold of office staff to help me.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Front desk staff was excellent, the facilities were clean and neat although the room was dated and the bed very uncomfortable, the location of the facility was perfect. They were close to almost anything a vacationer may want to do.

Original review: June 5, 2019

We stayed at Sanctuary in Cap Cana. The hotel is gorgeous. The staff was incredible. They went above and beyond to make us happy. It was our 25th anniversary trip so I wanted it to be special for us and it was.

Original review: June 3, 2019

It was a very nice room but the bathroom tile was dirty and not scrubbed all the way. You could see where previous people had stayed and the shower wasn't cleaned properly. There was old water stains. And hair on the bathroom sink.

Original review: May 30, 2019

We are planning a Jazz Lunch Cruise in New Orleans next month. The booking process was very easy. The questions are clear and easy to understand. I am looking forward to using this booking site again.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I attempted to contact TripAdvisor to report a business owner soliciting 5 star reviews on a personal Facebook page... Nowhere- or way to make such a complaint- report. Therefore I have to believe that many of the businesses are unscrupulously doing the same thing in order to get their business a higher star rating... which takes away from the whole trustworthy review experience.

Original review: May 27, 2019

The pictures in the websites should be updated. Room was set up the same but looked wayyyy better in pictures. There should be options of booking more than one room but maybe sending the link to a relative/friend to pay their part and being able to stay in the same floor.

Original review: May 26, 2019

I often use Trip Advisor to read fellow travelers review on destinations and attractions. I find very helpful when reviewers recommends the things must do at the destinations and the trailer's photos are a huge help especially when finding the right hotels.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I prefer to give no stars to both TripAdvisor and their counterpart Tringo! I would not recommend doing business with either of these companies, for they do not support their customers in any way. First they took the side of the hotel and failed to even talk to me about the issue. When I brought the lies to their attention then they decided to escalate the case, but not until I provide my evidence. So they failed to hear my side of the situation from the beginning. When they did take another look at the issues at hand they 100% sided with the lies from the hotel management, who at one point would not answer any requests from the beginning of this case, and continued to lie to them.

I would not recommend using either of these two companies for any business. They have no problem taking the customer's money, and they CHOOSE to side with the hotel to ensure they would make a profit! Unreliable and undependable. They are only about making money and they proved that by failing to discuss the issues with me from the beginning. I would recommend using Kayak first!! Save yourself any headaches and go elsewhere!!

Original review: May 24, 2019

TripAdvisor had good deals available and the site is night and day more pleasant to use than hotel sites themselves. I like all the reviews and the way the reviews are organized. I don't really like the new TripAdvisor homepage though, it feels like a social network page and I don't need more of those in my life.

Original review: May 20, 2019

TripAdvisor provides in-depth, specific reviews with the ability to ask questions and get answers from people in the know. Given the fact that people from all demographics and lifestyles contribute, I am confident that I can find out what I need to know..

Original review: May 19, 2019

Consumer sourced reviews are the most valuable to me but it is nice to see the professional ratings as well. I have never felt disappointed in the honesty of the site. There is never 'fluff' just real honest reviews.

Original review: May 18, 2019

The prices were very cheap and will be taking more trips to Colorado from Orlando, I enjoyed the quick of the website and how easy it was to get around on it. My next trip will be made from this site to make sure I get a great deal.

Original review: May 17, 2019

This site tells you all about the places you visiting and have previous visitors comments, recommendations and pros and cons, prices etc, the best hotels and restaurants. Comparisons can be made so you can decide based on your income and tastes.

Original review: May 16, 2019

The price was a bit more than previous booking, but overall it was great. I will use that service again. The service was as described online and nothing more or nothing less.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Totally unreliable. Whenever TripAdvisor comes up, in the highest search engine scores, I have to try to search through an overwhelming amount of reviews, which do contradict themselves all over. Useless. BUT when friends keep on telling me they continuously write fake reports reviewing places on this same TripAdvisor website... I DO ask myself what your 'trip advice' is actually worth... NOT for me or any conscious traveler. Ta.

TripAdvisor.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs