2. Travel

TripAdvisor
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.51/5
Based on 1,225 ratings

TripAdvisor Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I found Trip Advisor to be very good for arranging my travel plans. They handled everything well and quickly gave my trip planning to Priceline who also was great in helping me extend my time for trip planning and trip final arrangements. Both companies helped me with trip planning and extensions with no trouble or confusion. All was handled very well and very professionally. Great job Trip Advisor and great job Priceline.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

We went to the Dinosaur Adventures in Houston last week and was double billed. They guy at the gate said it had happened to many people and call for a refund. I called and emailed but they said they only saw one charge. I sent them a screenshot of my bank transactions that clearly has 2 charges. Now they have stopped communicating at all. So beware when getting tickets online (the only way to get them). They are apparently good at double charging but not good at refunding. It was not really worth 1 $68.87 charge much less 2 charges.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

We booked a “Barron River Half-Day White Water Rafting from Cairns” experience through Trip Advisor owned Viator and received a full confirmation and tickets on email. On the day of the experience we found out that the service provider never got a request from Viator and could not accommodate us as they were all booked out. I called Viator and they said their system may not have been synced with the service provider’s system and there is nothing they could do except issuing a refund. Seriously?! For such an establishment tour organiser, such a juvenile response and no accountability for system failure? I was hoping for a bit more accountability and compensation for ruining a day of my trip. We have booked through Viator and Trip Advisor on several occasions but will be taking my business elsewhere from now on. Disappointed!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

TripAdvisor deleted my review of a hotel. My response to them: I strongly disagree with your policy. Cancellation policies are a HUGE component in assessing the OVERALL rating of a travel-related business. Airlines have adjusted cancellation policies due to COVID. Hotels and even car rental agencies are DIRECTLY linked to hospitality. COVID has allowed us, as future travelers, an ability to assess the humanity behind a business' policies.

So, if you, as a third-party entrusted to inform travelers with ANY issue directly affecting our decisions, then I will no longer use your site. I need to hear ALL reviews associated with ANYTHING that impacts my trip. Right now, COVID impacts us, so YES, cancellation policies are CRUCIAL to Controlling what a CONFIRMED hotel guest has to say about a hotel promoted on your site must unequivocally be voiced as a legitimate review topic.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I travel frequently for work. I book air tickets through different platforms. I started using TripAdvisor on recent flights and this is my experience: they use third party as many of the others but TripAdvisor’s seems more questionable on the way they charge extra for “apparently” low priced tickets. Extra for standard luggage on intercontinental flights, extra for standard coach seats. The worst part comes when booking on long flights that requires more than one stop. They manage to book you with the same itinerary two or more ticket numbers, forcing you to do a transit exit that requires a transit visa on the connecting airports just to collect your luggage and pass it through immigration again. Awful experience!! DO NOT USE TripAdvisor for booking your air ticket.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I had made a reservation for only one night for a friend's wedding, staying at a hotel chain that I frequent often. I should have booked through them directly, but when I saw the minuscule savings on TripAdvisor, I booked it. I unfortunately had to cancel...over 48 hours in advance, which is perfectly acceptable to the hotel, which they did for me, but I was told to still call tripadvisor to confirm so my credit card would not be charged the FULL amount and the hotel would approve the cancellation, no issues...I have literally been on hold a total of 3 1/2 hours (still am as I am writing this) and no end in sight. This is completely horrendous customer service, will NEVER use this service again, and will warn anyone I speak to as well.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

When TripAdvisor started reviews had little editorial control currently they decide what is and what isn’t to be included. They give a list of generalizations for not publishing a review which could applied to any review. If for instance you have had a particularly bad experience with a vendor and your review is therefore strongly-worded saying for instance “The Manager was a uncomprehending cretin“ this although true would be grounds for not publishing.

TripAdvisor are the sole arbiters of what can be said under the guise of filtering out unacceptable comment. This is a catch 22 situation. As an IRCA qualified Lead Auditor who has conducted thousands of audits on companies in all sectors large and small I have had “findings” challenged but never a refusal to publish my report. Only TripAdvisor managed this when I made negative comments about a local restaurant/ public house. Within an audit situation the auditee must agree and sign for the nonconformance at the time. With TripAdvisor, the reviews are purely subjective with no proof required. When you appreciate the commercial aspects of Tripadvisor's operation it becomes obvious why they need to control what is said about what and whom. My personal opinion is that fundamentally you should be aware of bias on Tripadvisor's statements about merchants' quality.

Original review: July 29, 2020

TripAdvisor constantly keeps changing their policy dealing with refunds due to COVID-19. I had to cancel our trip to Spain due to COVID-19. Deadline for the full payment was July 25th so I canceled on July 19th. No deposit refund ($500). If I had waited, let them charge me full amount and then canceled on 7-27 or later (this is when their policy changed), I would have gotten full refund including my deposit. But they don't tell you that...

Original review: July 18, 2020

I was forced to pay $150 to cancel a double booking because the calendar was not syncing. No exceptions, no understanding the problem. I took all of my 4 vacation rentals off of TripAdvisor, but it wouldn’t even let me delete my bank info.

Original review: July 10, 2020

We canceled our booking two months in advance solely due to force majeure, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Although the owner does not believe that the virus exists (or at least is not as much a threat as it truly is), we are aware of the reality of the situation. Several members of our family are at risk for the virus, including my husband, who has a compromised immune system. For the safety of our family, we had to cancel this trip. Not only do we have major concerns regarding the owner's general denial of the virus, but we also have concerns that, if he is not taking the pandemic seriously, how could we possibly be assured that the house is thoroughly sanitized for our stay?

I understand the owner's monetary needs regarding his rentals. And I am also saddened to hear of the loss in his family. However, it is completely inappropriate and unprofessional of him to use his personal loss in order to guilt us into an unfair situation. Although we appreciate TripAdvisor's offer to move the booking date to next year (something the owner never offered initially), we have had such a negative experience with both the owner and TripAdvisor, that we do not want to contract with either of them for another year.

We booked through TripAdvisor but the owner of the vacation rental property only gave a 24-hr money back cancellation. We reserved the property 8 months in advance and got the trip advisor insurance. Who would cancel that far in advance? We gave a substantial deposit over $1,900 and they refuse to give us a penny back. The rental was for August 2020 and they have already re-rented the property but we get nothing back. Thank you for your time.

TripAdvisor.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team