2. Travel

TripAdvisor
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.51/5
Based on 1,220 ratings

TripAdvisor Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I had made a reservation for only one night for a friend's wedding, staying at a hotel chain that I frequent often. I should have booked through them directly, but when I saw the minuscule savings on TripAdvisor, I booked it. I unfortunately had to cancel...over 48 hours in advance, which is perfectly acceptable to the hotel, which they did for me, but I was told to still call tripadvisor to confirm so my credit card would not be charged the FULL amount and the hotel would approve the cancellation, no issues...I have literally been on hold a total of 3 1/2 hours (still am as I am writing this) and no end in sight. This is completely horrendous customer service, will NEVER use this service again, and will warn anyone I speak to as well.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

When TripAdvisor started reviews had little editorial control currently they decide what is and what isn’t to be included. They give a list of generalizations for not publishing a review which could applied to any review. If for instance you have had a particularly bad experience with a vendor and your review is therefore strongly-worded saying for instance “The Manager was a uncomprehending cretin“ this although true would be grounds for not publishing.

TripAdvisor are the sole arbiters of what can be said under the guise of filtering out unacceptable comment. This is a catch 22 situation. As an IRCA qualified Lead Auditor who has conducted thousands of audits on companies in all sectors large and small I have had “findings” challenged but never a refusal to publish my report. Only TripAdvisor managed this when I made negative comments about a local restaurant/ public house. Within an audit situation the auditee must agree and sign for the nonconformance at the time. With TripAdvisor, the reviews are purely subjective with no proof required. When you appreciate the commercial aspects of Tripadvisor's operation it becomes obvious why they need to control what is said about what and whom. My personal opinion is that fundamentally you should be aware of bias on Tripadvisor's statements about merchants' quality.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 29, 2020

TripAdvisor constantly keeps changing their policy dealing with refunds due to COVID-19. I had to cancel our trip to Spain due to COVID-19. Deadline for the full payment was July 25th so I canceled on July 19th. No deposit refund ($500). If I had waited, let them charge me full amount and then canceled on 7-27 or later (this is when their policy changed), I would have gotten full refund including my deposit. But they don't tell you that...

Original review: July 18, 2020

I was forced to pay $150 to cancel a double booking because the calendar was not syncing. No exceptions, no understanding the problem. I took all of my 4 vacation rentals off of TripAdvisor, but it wouldn’t even let me delete my bank info.

Original review: July 10, 2020

We canceled our booking two months in advance solely due to force majeure, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Although the owner does not believe that the virus exists (or at least is not as much a threat as it truly is), we are aware of the reality of the situation. Several members of our family are at risk for the virus, including my husband, who has a compromised immune system. For the safety of our family, we had to cancel this trip. Not only do we have major concerns regarding the owner's general denial of the virus, but we also have concerns that, if he is not taking the pandemic seriously, how could we possibly be assured that the house is thoroughly sanitized for our stay?

I understand the owner's monetary needs regarding his rentals. And I am also saddened to hear of the loss in his family. However, it is completely inappropriate and unprofessional of him to use his personal loss in order to guilt us into an unfair situation. Although we appreciate TripAdvisor's offer to move the booking date to next year (something the owner never offered initially), we have had such a negative experience with both the owner and TripAdvisor, that we do not want to contract with either of them for another year.

We booked through TripAdvisor but the owner of the vacation rental property only gave a 24-hr money back cancellation. We reserved the property 8 months in advance and got the trip advisor insurance. Who would cancel that far in advance? We gave a substantial deposit over $1,900 and they refuse to give us a penny back. The rental was for August 2020 and they have already re-rented the property but we get nothing back. Thank you for your time.

Original review: July 8, 2020

We received a one star review from someone who was not a guest, and had misstated their dates of stay on Trip Advisor's Website. As a result, we attempted to issue a rebuttal, but Trip Advisor wouldn't allow it. Additionally the review is now showing in the "paid" area of Google's search. A quick review of Wikipedia reveals that Trip Advisor has done this a lot, but especially to international concerns. It appears to be a bad company.

Original review: June 6, 2020

We stayed at Century Plaza Hotel in Vancouver because of 4/5 rating on Tripadvisor. The hotel was disgusting - unclean with unmentionable substances on the carpet and side table. The taps were so old that parts were missing. Paint peeling and peels left on the windowsill from past guests. I tried to write a candid review but Tripadvisor would not let me submit the review. How could this hotel get 4/5 stars? I tried everything, going into my account and the site would not allow bad review.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I am an Airbnb host and made the mistake of also listing on Trip Advisor. I have lost my first potential rental through this site. That was a month rental to the tune of over $4000.00. I had posted pictures of my property on the site but the tenant could not see them and requested more information. I was not able to contact anyone to help me with this. It would have been my first rental through Trip Advisor and I can assure you it will be my last. Renting through them is a joke for hosts. Do not try to host through them. I saw other reviews which said they had trouble getting their money for a rental. Take lessons from AIRBNB they get it right. If your site was the first one that I ever had dealings with I WOULD HAVE GIVEN UP on VACATION RENTALS. YOU are a BIG JOKE and a farce.

Original review: June 2, 2020

I tried to submit a review concerning a hotel with shady business practices (hotel was changing refund policy at whim and basically scamming people out of money because they are unable to make reservations due to COVID-19), and TripAdvisor block this review from being posted!! How is a review about the shady dealings of hotel, PRIOR to booking, not a valid review, considering 1) its' very important to a person prepared to spend a decent amount of money on a room and 2) I have stayed at said hotel before. I would not trust this website, very clearly catering to hotels to beef up their own profits.

Original review: May 31, 2020

A traveler stayed in a property named Treetop Condominiums Property Owners Association, Inc. (Condos) and reported: "Bed bugs in Condo unit 142" followed by a scathing 1-star review. The property I represent (I am the board of directors president) is Treetop Village Property Owners Association, Inc. (Village). Condos and Village are two completely separate businesses run by two separate boards of directors and do not share any guest rooms.

I made multiple requests to TripAdvisor to remove the mistaken review from the Village account. I supplied both company's Missouri Secretary of State business registration filings, which listed the two separate boards of directors, and conclusively prove the two businesses are completely separate entities. I explained that the Village does not have a unit 142 but the Condos do have a unit 142. I supplied the name of the Condo property manager for verification of my complaint/request and offered a letter from the Condo board of directors to validate my report. All requests to remove the mistaken complaint were denied by Tripadvisor.

I ask Tripadvisor to explain the logic of their refusal to correct what was obviously a similar name confusion mistake. They refused to explain and in the end would only say, "We have completed a review inquiry into your concern, and the details of our standard review inquiry procedures cannot be disclosed. The decision about whether a review will remain posted is exclusively that of TripAdvisor and is final. We cannot offer any further comment on this decision."

Our Village reputation has been damaged unfairly and damage to business reputation always results in long-term loss of income when potential travelers smartly chose not to stay in a property reporting bedbugs. Our board of directors is simply asking Tripadvisor to review the facts submitted and remove this damaging mistaken review from the Village posting.

TripAdvisor.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team