1.18/5
Based on 133 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 18, 2018

148 Tiger Airways Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2018

I showed my online check-in in Sydney but when I boarded the plane from Sydney 9.10 gate 59 to Perth, I was asked by Emily as my internet dropped, I was greeted with hostility and told to stay in one corner and not move in front of passengers. I paid over 400 dollars for the flight. I want a full investigation into way. It is not like I got on the plane from runway. I showed my internet pass to a lady 2 mins previously. I will be going further. Absolute disgusting behaviour.

Original review: April 16, 2018

It seems Tiger Air cancel flights on a whim with no consideration for those affected. I fly domestically for business about 3 times per year. I have never had a cancelled flight with ANY airline except Tiger Air and I have had 3 cancellations in about 6 flights I have booked with that airline! That is a cancellation rate of not less than 50%. What a joke. If you want hassle free travel or need to arrive on time for a connecting flight DO NOT book with Tiger Air. They are a disgrace and should not be allowed to operate.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2018

What a disgustingly incompetent airline! Text message 2 hours before take off cancelling flight!! No assistance with arranging an alternative flight. Happy to make me sit at airport for 24 hours until “next “ Tigerair flight. Also had to wait 20 mins for Call Center to answer phone - was told though - I’d have to wait 2-3 weeks for a refund. I’m horrified at the total lack of care and professionalism. Disgraceful.

Updated on 05/03/2018: Just be careful trying to get your $ refunded. I was told on the day of cancelation I would get reimbursed. 3 weeks later I called Tiger and was told "they had refunded the $ to my account". Which was clearly a lie! Then they told me to contact BYO as the $ was paid to them?! So I called BYO, and was told they needed confirmation of the cancellation from Tiger!! REALLY?! I was assured I’d get an email in “a few hours”. Guess what - NO email 10 hrs later! If I hadn’t followed up what would BYO have done? Kept my $? They are equally as incompetent and unprofessional as Tiger. Guess I have to keep fighting to get my $ back - never mind the $440 cost I had to bear because of Tiger Airways' cancellation!

Original review: March 19, 2018

I’ve booked a ticket from Brisbane to Melbourne return. My flight to back to Brisbane was supposed to be at 10:50 am. I got in the airport 2 hours before to do my check-in and the guy who works in there told me it was canceled. I didn’t get any email or information about that before. My flight has been changed for another company at 4 pm. Because of this I lost a day of work and I have to wait 7 hours in the airport. I asked if they can provide anything for me or at least a explanation why the flight was canceled and the guy just reply really rude... I’m really disappointed with this ** company because it’s the second time that has happened with me!! Such a bad customer service. The worst part it is I paid a extra money to change my flight to be at 10:50...

Original review: March 15, 2018

On the 14/3/2018 Tiger canceled the flight due to depart around 4 P.M. Only about 15 minutes notice was given. Everybody was distraught and had to queue for a very long time with only two people re-issuing replacement tickets for the next flight at 5 A.M. People had to find motels at some distance away as the airport ones were full. It was very inconvenient, old people were sobbing. Any money offered did not cover expenses.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tiger Airways?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Cancelled flight from Melbourne to Sydney (no notice either) with no alternative offered and no refund. I had to buy another fare with a different carrier at last minute prices. Credit note only offered with no empathy from staff. If you want a cheap fare but don’t really care about getting there, fly Tiger.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Just wanted to let Tiger Air know that we were really unhappy about the flight overbooked from Melbourne to Sydney at 1:10 pm 24/1/18 and not providing us with next flight with Tiger. They gave us Virgin flight which we are not happy with. We always fly with Tiger and this time it was really disappointing. The staff supervisor on 24/1/18 at Melbourne airport ground was very very rude and did not talk to us nicely at all. She ignored lots of questions and started talking to other customer while we were still having an conversation. Is this the way you guys treat the passengers? She did not have manners to speak with any customers. Really did not expect from Tiger Air. They gave us the voucher and booked next flight but I am not traveling with Tiger Air anymore so instead of Voucher I need the money return. I am gonna tell all my friends to never ever fly with Tiger Air and I will take this issue further.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I was having a nice holiday with my cousin in Surfers Paradise and booked the flight with Tiger Air to fly to Sydney from Gold Coast on 29.12.17 at 7.30 pm. We have checked out of hotel, returned the rental car at the airport to find out at 7.00 pm the flight have been cancelled (no phone call or email from Tiger Air)! We waited in queue for over an hour to talk to Tiger Air supervisor for the next flight to Sydney but there was none up to Sunday afternoon. I had important work related meeting at 9.30 am and my cousin was about to fly out of Australia on that day as he was overseas visitor.

The Tiger Air ground staff are hopeless and wouldn’t take any responsibility (no direction or help with any other flight, hotel or anything else). I couldn’t find any other seat with other airlines in that airport for that night or tomorrow morning. I have decided to rent a car and drive all way back to NSW (over 900KM). There was no car available as I had chat with every car hire company in that airport. Finally a lovely lady in Budget car hire decided to help us and we hired a car from Gold Coast airport and drive all way back to Sydney. I managed to attend the meeting at 9.30am the next day with driving none stop from Gold Coast to Sydney in that night thanks to Tiger Air! Also my cousin managed to get to his international flight as well but this bad memory with Tiger Air will stay with us forever. I will not fly with them ever or recommend anyone else to fly with them.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Our flight unfortunately got cancelled the day we were supposed to be flying out and the next flight was in three days time. My partner and I had no money left to organise accommodation for those three days as we had budgeted for each day specifically. When contacting the assistance line they informed us we would need to go to the airport and discuss it directly, which we did.

The ladies at the check-in mentioned we were eligible for food vouchers and will be reimbursed for our hotel but we must source it ourselves and pay upfront (failed to mention the hotel must be within a certain distance from the airport, there is a limit on the amount of money they will reimburse us and it takes at least 2-3 weeks for the money to be returned). We were desperately attempting to find assistance for somewhere to stay as we could not afford to pay for another three days in a hotel upfront but were continuously directed to other staff members.

When speaking with a staff member, we expressed our dilemma and that we were desperately needing compensation as we had nowhere to stay for the next three days, she informed us that there is nothing they can do and it's essentially our issue to deal with as the airline isn't responsible. As the conversation went on, we became understandably upset/panicked as the reality that we were essentially stranded in an unknown city for three days with no money became apparent. The staff member advised she would get the supervisor (who we originally were asking for). The supervisor was immediately disinterested the moment she arrived, again repeating that it is not the airline's responsibility to find us accommodation for the aforementioned dates.

We began asking what we are supposed to do as the airport closed at 11:00pm (it was roughly 9:40pm) so we aren't able to sleep there, have no way to get accommodation and it is the company's fault we are in this situation in the first place. She reported that it was not her problem and them putting us onto the next available flight was suffice.

She continued to speak over the top of us in a highly condescending manner. My partner, highly frustrated, exclaimed 'that's not ** good enough' to which she then replied "do not swear at me", walked away and slammed the door in our face. In order to de-escalate the situation my partner left the area and I was left knocking on the door to their office for roughly 15 minutes with no answer. Eventually another supervisor came out with two men watching the situation and repeated that they aren't going to assist us with our predicament as it's not their responsibility. I have never felt so highly disregarded by a company nor have I experienced such poor customer service. We will never fly with Tigerair again.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Needed to book wheelchair assistance and to get a ticket refund for medical reasons. Tried for days to get online, finally tried to book assistance 70 hours before the flight. Tiger replied they could not help me because I had to book 72 hours in advance, Tried to get a credit but was given a complete run around by a teleworker. I called from Australia but could only speak to an operator located in the Philippines. Tiger is not helpful to disabled people.

Original review: July 1, 2017

We left Bendigo at 4 o'clock on the 23rd of June to get on our plane to leave 0700 o'clock, when I went to check in we were told to see the flight attendant. When I went to the counter she told us that our flight had been cancelled and as we booked with Flight Centre they should of contacted us the night before. The attendant told me she couldn't get us on a flight until the next day, when I said to her we have accommodation booked she just responded in saying "We can't help that." No thanks to Tiger on helping us with our flight. We contacted Flight Centre and they got us on a later flight with another airline. The attitude of the attendant really made me angry as there was no apology.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I was flying to Melbourne from Sydney on the 31/5/17, and as usual experienced the usual delays which I have got so accustomed to with Tiger Airways as I fly with them on a monthly basis. But on this particular day the ground staff announced that they were going to check all passengers carry on luggage before boarding the flight, which was all fine by me, except the ground stewardess decides to let some people walk through without bothering to check their luggage. I was in the queue and noticed this and thought to myself that this was strange, it came closer to my turn to check in when she called me out of the line and asked me to weigh my luggage and my handbag. I questioned her as to why she did not do this with all passengers and my husband did as well, and her excuse was that she was busy with attending another customer, and that they can randomly pick people up, this was backed up by her colleague I must say.

My husband and I lost it with all of them to the point that we ended up in a heated argument and I was told that they could refrain me from boarding the plane. My husband said to the ground steward, her name is either Sophie or Sophia, that he will never fly Tiger Airways again and her reply was "That is ok we have plenty of other people who fly with us. We don't need rude people like you to fly with us". My husband and I did not know at the time that a handbag was also counted as carry on luggage and after a clarification today with the airline it is.

My issue is not the money I had to pay, my issue is the way they go about doing it, and coming from a background of retail from one of the leading retail stores in Australia and having to deal with constant customer issues I was appalled at how unprofessional the ground staff was! You don't do the right thing by not applying your rule with all your passengers and when confronted with this give me a lame excuse as to why, and when the passenger gets aggravated by your answer you tell them that you would rather not have my business and threaten to stop me from boarding the flight saying that I am aggressive and rude. Tiger Airways shocking!!! Please contact me for further details on that specific flight details as I would like some action taken on this matter.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I confirmed a booking from Melb to Bris return for 2 (two) passengers on the 27th May travelling on the 7th June and returning to Mel on 11th June. Total cost was $472.00. I changed this booking on the 30th May to travel on 5th July, returning on 9th July. The cost of this change of dates was $405.00. The total cost to me is now $877.00 FOR THE SAME JOURNEY AT A LATER DATE. I FEEL I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED BY TIGERAIR. How can your airline (declared by the ombudsman to be the worst in Australia) justify this extraordinary increase in my cost to go to Brisbane. After I completed the change in dates of this reservation I checked your website again for the revised dates of travel and found seats available at almost the original cost I paid on the 27th May. Also I was thinking service levels may have improved since the Virgin takeover of Tigerair?? Do you wish to comment on my complaint before I escalate my complaint?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I booked flights, on-line, from Singapore to Yangon. I received a confirmation email. When I tried to check-in at the airport I was informed I needed a Visa for Yangon. I was further informed that all nations need a visa for Yangon and additionally Tigerair had a responsibility to check visas before checking in. There was no mention of visa requirements on their web page and none on the confirmation email even in the section headed Important Information. If Tigerair has a responsibility to check visa before check-in then they must assume responsibility for informing customers of this requirement. I lost my flights and the cost of my Hotels. Approx 500 Euro. I have complained but don't hold out for serendipity.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I was boarding the flight from Sydney to Melbourne. The ground staff, Claire was very rude to my father. I would understand the need to weight all boarding baggage but she only stopped us but not other passengers carrying handle carry luggages. When questioned, Claire just responded with checks are mandatory for all passengers but this does not explain as to why she does not stop all other passengers for weight check. We accepted our luggages are a few grams overweight and had to pay surcharge of $36 per bag. When asked for payment receipt, Claire refused to respond and asked us to board the flight.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I booked flights from Brisbane to Melbourne on Tiger, departing next day. Less than 1 hour later, I get text message that flight is cancelled, and my family is all re-booked on same flight, departing another day later. I contacted Tiger by phone, said new flight was not suitable. They agreed to refund (fortunately our flights were not urgent, and it was OK that we did not travel). So far, so good BUT... My credit card was still charged, after Tiger agreed the refund. I called them again, and was told that an "urgent" refund takes at least 3 weeks. Are you joking, Tiger?! You charged my credit card in less than an hour. A friend in the airline industry since advises me that Tiger are notorious for this behaviour. I would urge everyone to avoid booking on this airline.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

Canceled flight and did not tell passengers until check in and left them stranded without a second thought. Their ground staff lied to us telling us we would get refund within four to six days, when not received contacted Tigerair and was told it would be four to six weeks. They took our money in seconds but can't refund for weeks? The most worrying part was the plane was canceled due to a hydraulic leak, clearly the planes are not maintained to avoid failure in service and as such unsafe. This airline is incompetent don't put your life in their hands.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

Totally gobsmacked as to why tiger air can just after 2 delays then cancel our flight from Cairns on arvo of leaving in North QLD, stranding my partner and I in Cairns another night having to pay another night's accommodation $150.00 also airfares with Qantas $450.00. Being told tiger can fly us out on the 4th of Jan or a credit on the flight but not only that a full refund, but refund would take 4/5 weeks to be returned to account, also being told to keep booking reference number just in case refund didn't show up?

Had to source other carrier to be back in Brisbane to pick up partner's daughter from airport afternoon of the 3rd and myself having to return to work with a 7 hr drive to get there??? So no way will we be going tiger air again while Qantas/Jetstar and virgin planes taking off all around this one. Virgin now own tiger I've heard but, suppose plane wasn't full enough just cancel and let the people fend for themselves I suppose. Wouldn't have thought Richard Branson would allow this sort of unfairness???

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

The absolutely worst "customer service" policies I have ever encountered. After realizing immediately after MY CHILD clicked "submit" to purchase tickets that I was pricing on this carrier, I spent the next 1.75 hours attempting to reach a human being to request cancellation and refund. When I was finally able to reach a representative, I was told that the no cancellation/no refund possible was inviolate. No human being: not the representative, his supervisor, or anyone including the CEO of the airline could provide an exception to this policy. I will do all I can to warn future travelers/customers of this airline of their absolutely non-existent customer service.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

I was departing from Melbourne Airport, and my bag was 8.2 kg. But this bag is for 2 people. I was get told by Tigerair checkin. She said is ok for 2 people. But on the way back from Cairns Airport checkin she said is not allowed to do it. And I separately my bag to 2, making under 7 kg.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

I took a hopping flight from Bangkok to Hyderabad (with a stop in between at Singapore). I was told while booking the tickets that I would have to pay a meager 1200 INR in order to retrieve my check-in luggage of 20 kg. Instead, I was made to pay (3077 THB) roughly 5800 INR on the last day. The flight was half an hour late. Basic amenity like water was also not provided and a 150-200 ml water bottle was priced at 4$ (200 INR). For a flight lasting 4.5 hours, providing free water is a basic necessity when the ticket prices are moderately high. Far from being low-cost, it is a high-cost, ill-maintained airline. I wish I could give them .1 Star. Worst ever airline, kindly never board it.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

Tigerair is the worst low-cost airline I've ever travelled with. Awful customer service. In Australia, you can only check 7kg cabin luggage for free. Excess baggage is heavily fined. Moreover, the staff is very unfriendly. The worst was, though, that they destroyed my checked-in 22 kg suitcase. They gladly took the money and labelled it as "heavy" but the handling agents took no notice of it. Three big cracks and bumps to a resistant suitcase. Really useless now. I immediately went to Tigerair's desk but they REFUSED TO TAKE MY CLAIM as they said no item inside the bag had been damaged. They told me to file my complaint online. I was travelling across Australia and did not have the resources to do it - of course Tigerair's staff knew about the 3 days you have to file the complain.

Two weeks later, I did. It's been an endless list of emails coming and going and they refuse to assume their responsibilities and compensate me for the damage.

To all passengers: Take pictures, record them, everything that it takes because they are not an honest company. And of course, you can claim for the damaged caused to your suitcase, don't believe them!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I am very disappointed that my flight has been cancelled from Cairns to Melbourne on 24th November 2016. Tiger rescheduled my flight to the next day 25th November 2016. Rang and asked due to Tiger cancelling my flight, "Are they going to pay for the night's accommodation," to be told, "It doesn't work like that." Happy for me to be stranded in Cairns overnight with no accommodation. Have Tiger insurance so rang them to check if I was covered for a night's accommodation on my policy?

You guessed. To my surprise only if they was a strike or I was high jacked would I be covered. Yet I was told as a benefit to my policy it covered me for cancellations on the flight. Catch: Exclusions. Only if a strike happened! MMM policy worth nothing and customer service of Tigerair worth nothing!!! I will never go Tiger again. This airline should be shut down for it allowing to cancel flights with no concerned for its passengers. Class action is needed for this airline to get its act together. No other airline in Australia treats its customers with such contempt.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

No wonder why you have so many people complaining. I think it's time that people bring legal action against TigerAir. They are irresponsible. I only booked the flight because there was no other flight going to Taiwan and I now know why. All airlines had cancelled/rescheduled to Typhoon, but not ** Tigerair. Booked a flight to Taiwan, went to the airport in the morning and it turned out the flight was delayed for 3+ hours. My flight was scheduled for 8.30AM. When asked for the reason, no reason was given. I also complained that I did not receive an sms or email. No sorry, no apologies. So that's the first joke.

Next, the flight was meant to depart at roughly 11.30AM. Then they decide to delay it for another 3 hours. WTF? As I then talked to an associate in Taiwan, it turns out there was a Typhoon! Pointed this out to the airline and all they said is "The pilot judge whether they can fly or not". I have never heard such ** before. I decided to unload myself and my luggage and went to the counter to complain. The management is full of ** either and just doesn't care about their customers. Asked for a refund and until today I did not receive one. Filed a chargeback with my credit card company and reported them as fraud. If I had to describe Tigerair it would be: most dishonest, non-customer oriented airline on the planet.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

I and my friends book the flight from Taipei to fukuoka on 4th, Oct, 2016. However, they are so irresponsible that they informed us with a short notice of changing the departure time to 5th, Oct, 2016, which is our work day without any reasonable explanation. So basically, we are prone to cancelling the whole trip due to their irresponsibility. I feel so messed up with this airline company and this is the first and also the last time I have ever purchased from this firm unless they give me a feasible solution. This case has proved that cheap price always mean irresponsibility and trust issue. Don't risk wasting your money in this airline company.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

My flight from Sydney to Coolangatta was cancelled because of 'weather conditions', even though Jetstar and (parent company) Virgin continued their flights. When (after a long queue) I asked when I could continue the journey I was told "2 days later". I quickly booked with Virgin Airlines via their website ($199 + GST) to get home that night because of work commitments the following morning. I got home at 2am the following day. When I approached Tiger for a refund I was told I was only eligible for a 'credit' for a future flight. Sorry not good enough. I won't entertain ever flying Tiger Airways again, and will dissuade anyone who is considering flying Tiger Airways for the rest of my life.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

Having booked my return ticket from Singapore to Bangalore for my travel in September 2016, after having made my online payment, I was shocked to see a different date showing up there for my return flight. On calling the call centre at +65 31576434, the guy at the other end kept me waiting forever and finally said that I would have to pay SGD70 + $10 for the change in fare. And then, he said he would ask his supervisor if they can waive some fee. I hung up lest I yell at the chap. When I called the same number 10 min later and after going through the ordeal of explaining to her the situation, she says the fare change was now SGD29.50.

A similar thing happened to me about a year ago and customers booking online need to be vigilant. I finally ended up paying the extra because if I cancelled, I would lose the SGD 620 that I had already paid. Quite sickening you guys are Tiger Airways. I am 100% sure that the date of booking on my ticket was not what I chose because it wasn't even showing on my laptop. Exactly the same that happened earlier. Now I know for sure that they are cheating customers like this. If anybody have ideas of how we could track this and record such incidents, kindly share. I am not letting this happen to a 1000 other unsuspecting people.

Original review: June 19, 2016

Totally my misunderstood my time of departure date from Gold Coast on 19th June. Was going through with the Tiger Airlines girl. She quoted, "Under circumstances we can change your flight but I will have speak with a supervisor." Supervisor came to the front desk so here my take on what happen next. The supervisor had very little customers concerns for us. Totally did not want to help in anyway. Started quoted things off the computer. When I said, "Can I have a look," supervisor say, "I cannot show you that." I don't know why. Anyway enough of the goggle goof as it gets you nowhere but my satisfaction will be to tell as many as I can in which started outside waiting for our friends to come and pick us up by tell a couple of my ordeal and no help and their reply we would not fly Tiger had a very bad experience but had to go as the drive came to pick them up and wished I could have heard their story. I would have added here.

Anyway what us silly unfortunate people who make a mistake you will pay as usual like overweight luggage. But you can weigh 20 stone and another person can be 10 stone. That's ok. Make sense? Don't think so. So for my own satisfaction I went back, used my point with Qantas and booked a next day flight and totally avoided Tiger and will continue to do and once at my work station on Tuesday I will email all and where I work there is many a people who travel, just to say support my feeling in not supporting Tiger due to their very poor understanding of compassion and totally need to upgrade their customers service attitude.

We as consumers have to stand up and form a site so we can unite and as a group we can make a change because numbers work. So some really techno person needs to create a blog and I for one will get behind you with effort to help build it and to make sure it floats well. This needs to be done it could be call... They Need to Be Held To Account For Their Action. Think seriously. Is there anything like this out there? NO. Come. Let's get it together. Facebook started small.

Original review: June 9, 2016

I've used Tiger for a few times when I've flown to Cebu for the past 4 years. Not sure if they were bought out by another Airline that flies the same route (Manila-Cebu). Their fares are not that expensive. The planes are not new. I can tell by the looks of the seats and floor. Their staff is friendly and respectful. Since their airport terminal in Manila is not as congested as the main airport, all the flights were on time and the number of passengers is not as enormous. Queues are shorter and the time spent in checking-in is short too. So far, I've not had any bad experience with them. I'll fly Tiger again.

Original review: May 27, 2016

My domestic flight Hobart-Melbourne was at 19h40... I tried several times to do the check-in online on my way to the airport and it always gives me a error at last step. Arrived at 18h55 in the airport and nobody at the Tigerair desk. I went to the gate and even 40min before the flight departure they didn't let me enter in the airplane - and it is the last flight of the day and have many seats empty. They argued that have some document they must sent 45 minutes before the flight... But all other cia have the limit of 30min. It was the last time I bought a ticket with this company. They really don't care with their clients.

Tiger Airways Company Information