1.17/5
Based on 144 reviews that contain star ratings

159 Tiger Airways Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I see a pattern, have read the other reviews, lack of service is the motto. Check in status at the airport indicator board said "open". Went to the counter, moron female behind the counter said I was late. Back & forth with the idiot who had no ability to look me in the eye. She claimed the "status" on the airport boards are not controlled by them - this is a lie. Requested to speak to a supervisor, who was another embarrassment passing for a female. She tried to be condescending, talk over top of me etc, would not let us on, said the usual Tiger extortion line of appearing to offer to reschedule if we did pay additional $85 to get on the next flight TOMORROW.

She was a top shelf **. She could not cope with me holding my ground so then tried to threaten to call the AFP, I thoroughly requested she do so, so when she saw she was not getting anywhere with me she then tried to squeak out more threats in my direction declaring "they won't side with you" - she was stupid enough to think that I would even care. She further ridiculed herself by futilely trying to get me to bite when she squeaked out "the offer to reschedule is withdrawn". This 1st class idiot could not even work out that I had already ditched them - here she was still thinking she had some sort of upper hand I did not even heed her in any way on that attempted utterance & so she tried it again, still to no utterance from me.

AFP came along, I informed them immediately that she had already declared "AFP won't side with you", they clearly had heard that one before because they quickly wiped their hands of allying in any way with Tiger airline & the morons that were attempting to man the check in counter at Tiger. Heed all reviews, never, never fly Tiger, ever, ever, EVER! Let's put them all out of jobs.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

They canceled all flights the day I was supposed to fly, less than 24 hours before flying. All the other providers increased the fare prices because of this. They are the worst company operating in Australia.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Always thought Tiger could not be as bad as people say. Even took a flight with them once, with no issues. So, stupidly thinking that one issue-free flight was proof they are okay, I used them again. Flight cancelled, got sent a text message 15 minutes before I was due to leave home. Called to rectify, on hold for half an our. English-second-language operator difficult to understand and powerless to do anything except offer a refund which I would receive in 3 weeks. Tiger have their poor reputation for a reason - don't risk it if your flight is important. Pay the extra $30 and use Jetstar or Virgin.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Flight cancelled the morning of the flight for a weekend trip from Sydney to Melbourne due to apparently ‘bad weather’ in Melbourne and then ‘only one runway working’. Lying, deceitful company that shouldn’t be allowed to operate in Australia. Not worth the cheaper flight.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have been travelling with Tiger for years, which ran well enough until the last 10 months. Tiger is constantly rescheduling flights which causes conflicts with other flights I have returning the same day from my destination. I feel that they are lying to and misleading the public. It is July 18 and they have asked ME to pay for the changes of reschedule for my late Sep 18 flight as their new schedule change clashes with another flight I have booked. Tiger does not provide what you book and pay for and they have been attempting to make more money by asking customers to pay for changes to THEIR change/reschedule a few months in advance. The rescheduling happens every time I have made a booking, I then receive a flight change notification.

They also put me on a totally different jet being Alliance Airlines instead of a Tiger jet. Alliance’s jets are extremely old and not what I booked to travel on. Be very careful what you choose, they juggle the flight times very regularly and use the pathetic excuse that it’s an engineering issue...2 months prior to your travels. They plan mechanical and engineering excuses far in advance. They think the public are stupid enough to believe this. We will of course be moving to Virgin for our very regular flights. Tiger has changed, and not for the better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tiger Airways?

Original review: July 21, 2018

Flew to Brisbane with Jetstar in the morning and was flying back to Sydney that night with Tiger Airways. It was the first time I was to fly with Tiger and they cancelled the flight via text and email. I immediately called customer service which is based in the Philippines and waited 15 minutes for someone to answer the phone. After 20 minutes on a mobile phone I realised that I would not be provided with any assistance. I went to the airport and waited two and a half hours for Tiger Airways staff to get to work at 6.30pm.

To say Tiger Airways staff are unhelpful is a gross understatement. They could not give a rats about the customer at all, in fact their complete lack of ability to provide assistance was incredulous. Their idea of assistance was for me to sleep at the airport in the clothes I was wearing, go without food or showering and my prescription medication for the next two days. The fact that they are required to put passengers on the next available flight doesn't hold for them if there are no seats available. I was asked haughtily if I had read their terms and conditions. Now I have to wait two weeks to get my money back and they refused to give me a receipt.

Disgraceful airline, rude staff with no empathy or common sense and appalling service. Tiger Airlines business practices need to be investigated. To make matters worse all the other airlines jacked up their prices to take cancelled passengers on board. I slept at the airport and had to pay $552 to fly one way to Sydney the next morning. Just a horrible stressful experience and I will NEVER choose Tiger Airways again.

Original review: July 10, 2018

They cancelled a flight with about 1 hour's notice. They said due to poor weather in Sydney. The airport was fully functioning and we had to pay business class with another airline to get away. THEN THEY REFUSED REFUND DUE TO A CLAUSE ABOUT WEATHER but every other airline was operating. These guys are CRIMINALS!!! NO FLIGHT AND NO REFUND! A credit offered but never again!

Original review: June 23, 2018

I arrived at the check-in desk 50 mins prior to my flight Adelaide to Melbourne, 23rd June 2018 for the 9.45am flight TT448. No Tiger Air staff were at either the check-in area or service desk and I was unable to check-in via the electronic stands. I had to go through security and to the departure gate before I could find a Tiger Air staff who informed me that check-in closes 45 mins prior to departure, I would have accepted this response if I had missed the cut-off time but I hadn’t. They would not let me check-in, by now it was 9.15am. Tiger Air had closed check-in prior to the 45min cut-off. Yet again Tiger Air disappoints.

Original review: June 12, 2018

There are two matters happened on this morning. I catch up 7:00 am flight. I did not get any information to check in, but I did it at 5:40 this morning, firstly, the web showed me “after 15 mins”, then at 6:00, I did it again, it closed. Well, we I arrived the airport at 6:30, the staff did nothing for me, and told me “go line up and wait” with bad attitude!!! I took the flights for many many times, I have never seen this before. Why! Half hour before departure, why nothing to do? The website problem was not my fault. And the reception such like that! Is there any reasonable interpretation for my bad experience on TIGER?

Original review: June 11, 2018

I had a checked in and I went to give my bag. Not only they didn't help me with that but also asked me to lined up in a queue for another check in. I mentioned my checked in to them but they were ignorant and at the end, they charge me 85$ for transfer ticket for later on that day. I missed my training workshop in Adelaide. I will not give score them with any star. Thank you.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Third last flight out of Melbourne to Sydney. First told delayed due to ‘engineering problem’. Then told cancelled. Couldn’t get onto ANY other flight that night. Had to book another airline the next day. Just checked to see how Tiger Airways flight the next morning was doing and found out it was delayed by 4 hours anyway, so good thing I didn’t book them again. One night’s accommodation from the previous night not reimbursed. Tiger Airways has a reliability level equivalent to a dead car battery. Avoid like the plague. Lesson learnt.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I showed my online check-in in Sydney but when I boarded the plane from Sydney 9.10 gate 59 to Perth, I was asked by Emily as my internet dropped, I was greeted with hostility and told to stay in one corner and not move in front of passengers. I paid over 400 dollars for the flight. I want a full investigation into way. It is not like I got on the plane from runway. I showed my internet pass to a lady 2 mins previously. I will be going further. Absolute disgusting behaviour.

Original review: April 16, 2018

It seems Tiger Air cancel flights on a whim with no consideration for those affected. I fly domestically for business about 3 times per year. I have never had a cancelled flight with ANY airline except Tiger Air and I have had 3 cancellations in about 6 flights I have booked with that airline! That is a cancellation rate of not less than 50%. What a joke. If you want hassle free travel or need to arrive on time for a connecting flight DO NOT book with Tiger Air. They are a disgrace and should not be allowed to operate.

Original review: April 15, 2018

What a disgustingly incompetent airline! Text message 2 hours before take off cancelling flight!! No assistance with arranging an alternative flight. Happy to make me sit at airport for 24 hours until “next “ Tigerair flight. Also had to wait 20 mins for Call Center to answer phone - was told though - I’d have to wait 2-3 weeks for a refund. I’m horrified at the total lack of care and professionalism. Disgraceful.

Updated on 05/03/2018: Just be careful trying to get your $ refunded. I was told on the day of cancelation I would get reimbursed. 3 weeks later I called Tiger and was told "they had refunded the $ to my account". Which was clearly a lie! Then they told me to contact BYO as the $ was paid to them?! So I called BYO, and was told they needed confirmation of the cancellation from Tiger!! REALLY?! I was assured I’d get an email in “a few hours”. Guess what - NO email 10 hrs later! If I hadn’t followed up what would BYO have done? Kept my $? They are equally as incompetent and unprofessional as Tiger. Guess I have to keep fighting to get my $ back - never mind the $440 cost I had to bear because of Tiger Airways' cancellation!

Original review: March 19, 2018

I’ve booked a ticket from Brisbane to Melbourne return. My flight to back to Brisbane was supposed to be at 10:50 am. I got in the airport 2 hours before to do my check-in and the guy who works in there told me it was canceled. I didn’t get any email or information about that before. My flight has been changed for another company at 4 pm. Because of this I lost a day of work and I have to wait 7 hours in the airport. I asked if they can provide anything for me or at least a explanation why the flight was canceled and the guy just reply really rude... I’m really disappointed with this ** company because it’s the second time that has happened with me!! Such a bad customer service. The worst part it is I paid a extra money to change my flight to be at 10:50...

Original review: March 15, 2018

On the 14/3/2018 Tiger canceled the flight due to depart around 4 P.M. Only about 15 minutes notice was given. Everybody was distraught and had to queue for a very long time with only two people re-issuing replacement tickets for the next flight at 5 A.M. People had to find motels at some distance away as the airport ones were full. It was very inconvenient, old people were sobbing. Any money offered did not cover expenses.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Cancelled flight from Melbourne to Sydney (no notice either) with no alternative offered and no refund. I had to buy another fare with a different carrier at last minute prices. Credit note only offered with no empathy from staff. If you want a cheap fare but don’t really care about getting there, fly Tiger.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Just wanted to let Tiger Air know that we were really unhappy about the flight overbooked from Melbourne to Sydney at 1:10 pm 24/1/18 and not providing us with next flight with Tiger. They gave us Virgin flight which we are not happy with. We always fly with Tiger and this time it was really disappointing. The staff supervisor on 24/1/18 at Melbourne airport ground was very very rude and did not talk to us nicely at all. She ignored lots of questions and started talking to other customer while we were still having an conversation. Is this the way you guys treat the passengers? She did not have manners to speak with any customers. Really did not expect from Tiger Air. They gave us the voucher and booked next flight but I am not traveling with Tiger Air anymore so instead of Voucher I need the money return. I am gonna tell all my friends to never ever fly with Tiger Air and I will take this issue further.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I was having a nice holiday with my cousin in Surfers Paradise and booked the flight with Tiger Air to fly to Sydney from Gold Coast on 29.12.17 at 7.30 pm. We have checked out of hotel, returned the rental car at the airport to find out at 7.00 pm the flight have been cancelled (no phone call or email from Tiger Air)! We waited in queue for over an hour to talk to Tiger Air supervisor for the next flight to Sydney but there was none up to Sunday afternoon. I had important work related meeting at 9.30 am and my cousin was about to fly out of Australia on that day as he was overseas visitor.

The Tiger Air ground staff are hopeless and wouldn’t take any responsibility (no direction or help with any other flight, hotel or anything else). I couldn’t find any other seat with other airlines in that airport for that night or tomorrow morning. I have decided to rent a car and drive all way back to NSW (over 900KM). There was no car available as I had chat with every car hire company in that airport. Finally a lovely lady in Budget car hire decided to help us and we hired a car from Gold Coast airport and drive all way back to Sydney. I managed to attend the meeting at 9.30am the next day with driving none stop from Gold Coast to Sydney in that night thanks to Tiger Air! Also my cousin managed to get to his international flight as well but this bad memory with Tiger Air will stay with us forever. I will not fly with them ever or recommend anyone else to fly with them.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Our flight unfortunately got cancelled the day we were supposed to be flying out and the next flight was in three days time. My partner and I had no money left to organise accommodation for those three days as we had budgeted for each day specifically. When contacting the assistance line they informed us we would need to go to the airport and discuss it directly, which we did.

The ladies at the check-in mentioned we were eligible for food vouchers and will be reimbursed for our hotel but we must source it ourselves and pay upfront (failed to mention the hotel must be within a certain distance from the airport, there is a limit on the amount of money they will reimburse us and it takes at least 2-3 weeks for the money to be returned). We were desperately attempting to find assistance for somewhere to stay as we could not afford to pay for another three days in a hotel upfront but were continuously directed to other staff members.

When speaking with a staff member, we expressed our dilemma and that we were desperately needing compensation as we had nowhere to stay for the next three days, she informed us that there is nothing they can do and it's essentially our issue to deal with as the airline isn't responsible. As the conversation went on, we became understandably upset/panicked as the reality that we were essentially stranded in an unknown city for three days with no money became apparent. The staff member advised she would get the supervisor (who we originally were asking for). The supervisor was immediately disinterested the moment she arrived, again repeating that it is not the airline's responsibility to find us accommodation for the aforementioned dates.

We began asking what we are supposed to do as the airport closed at 11:00pm (it was roughly 9:40pm) so we aren't able to sleep there, have no way to get accommodation and it is the company's fault we are in this situation in the first place. She reported that it was not her problem and them putting us onto the next available flight was suffice.

She continued to speak over the top of us in a highly condescending manner. My partner, highly frustrated, exclaimed 'that's not ** good enough' to which she then replied "do not swear at me", walked away and slammed the door in our face. In order to de-escalate the situation my partner left the area and I was left knocking on the door to their office for roughly 15 minutes with no answer. Eventually another supervisor came out with two men watching the situation and repeated that they aren't going to assist us with our predicament as it's not their responsibility. I have never felt so highly disregarded by a company nor have I experienced such poor customer service. We will never fly with Tigerair again.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Needed to book wheelchair assistance and to get a ticket refund for medical reasons. Tried for days to get online, finally tried to book assistance 70 hours before the flight. Tiger replied they could not help me because I had to book 72 hours in advance, Tried to get a credit but was given a complete run around by a teleworker. I called from Australia but could only speak to an operator located in the Philippines. Tiger is not helpful to disabled people.

Original review: July 1, 2017

We left Bendigo at 4 o'clock on the 23rd of June to get on our plane to leave 0700 o'clock, when I went to check in we were told to see the flight attendant. When I went to the counter she told us that our flight had been cancelled and as we booked with Flight Centre they should of contacted us the night before. The attendant told me she couldn't get us on a flight until the next day, when I said to her we have accommodation booked she just responded in saying "We can't help that." No thanks to Tiger on helping us with our flight. We contacted Flight Centre and they got us on a later flight with another airline. The attitude of the attendant really made me angry as there was no apology.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I was flying to Melbourne from Sydney on the 31/5/17, and as usual experienced the usual delays which I have got so accustomed to with Tiger Airways as I fly with them on a monthly basis. But on this particular day the ground staff announced that they were going to check all passengers carry on luggage before boarding the flight, which was all fine by me, except the ground stewardess decides to let some people walk through without bothering to check their luggage. I was in the queue and noticed this and thought to myself that this was strange, it came closer to my turn to check in when she called me out of the line and asked me to weigh my luggage and my handbag. I questioned her as to why she did not do this with all passengers and my husband did as well, and her excuse was that she was busy with attending another customer, and that they can randomly pick people up, this was backed up by her colleague I must say.

My husband and I lost it with all of them to the point that we ended up in a heated argument and I was told that they could refrain me from boarding the plane. My husband said to the ground steward, her name is either Sophie or Sophia, that he will never fly Tiger Airways again and her reply was "That is ok we have plenty of other people who fly with us. We don't need rude people like you to fly with us". My husband and I did not know at the time that a handbag was also counted as carry on luggage and after a clarification today with the airline it is.

My issue is not the money I had to pay, my issue is the way they go about doing it, and coming from a background of retail from one of the leading retail stores in Australia and having to deal with constant customer issues I was appalled at how unprofessional the ground staff was! You don't do the right thing by not applying your rule with all your passengers and when confronted with this give me a lame excuse as to why, and when the passenger gets aggravated by your answer you tell them that you would rather not have my business and threaten to stop me from boarding the flight saying that I am aggressive and rude. Tiger Airways shocking!!! Please contact me for further details on that specific flight details as I would like some action taken on this matter.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I confirmed a booking from Melb to Bris return for 2 (two) passengers on the 27th May travelling on the 7th June and returning to Mel on 11th June. Total cost was $472.00. I changed this booking on the 30th May to travel on 5th July, returning on 9th July. The cost of this change of dates was $405.00. The total cost to me is now $877.00 FOR THE SAME JOURNEY AT A LATER DATE. I FEEL I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED BY TIGERAIR. How can your airline (declared by the ombudsman to be the worst in Australia) justify this extraordinary increase in my cost to go to Brisbane. After I completed the change in dates of this reservation I checked your website again for the revised dates of travel and found seats available at almost the original cost I paid on the 27th May. Also I was thinking service levels may have improved since the Virgin takeover of Tigerair?? Do you wish to comment on my complaint before I escalate my complaint?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I booked flights, on-line, from Singapore to Yangon. I received a confirmation email. When I tried to check-in at the airport I was informed I needed a Visa for Yangon. I was further informed that all nations need a visa for Yangon and additionally Tigerair had a responsibility to check visas before checking in. There was no mention of visa requirements on their web page and none on the confirmation email even in the section headed Important Information. If Tigerair has a responsibility to check visa before check-in then they must assume responsibility for informing customers of this requirement. I lost my flights and the cost of my Hotels. Approx 500 Euro. I have complained but don't hold out for serendipity.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I was boarding the flight from Sydney to Melbourne. The ground staff, Claire was very rude to my father. I would understand the need to weight all boarding baggage but she only stopped us but not other passengers carrying handle carry luggages. When questioned, Claire just responded with checks are mandatory for all passengers but this does not explain as to why she does not stop all other passengers for weight check. We accepted our luggages are a few grams overweight and had to pay surcharge of $36 per bag. When asked for payment receipt, Claire refused to respond and asked us to board the flight.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I booked flights from Brisbane to Melbourne on Tiger, departing next day. Less than 1 hour later, I get text message that flight is cancelled, and my family is all re-booked on same flight, departing another day later. I contacted Tiger by phone, said new flight was not suitable. They agreed to refund (fortunately our flights were not urgent, and it was OK that we did not travel). So far, so good BUT... My credit card was still charged, after Tiger agreed the refund. I called them again, and was told that an "urgent" refund takes at least 3 weeks. Are you joking, Tiger?! You charged my credit card in less than an hour. A friend in the airline industry since advises me that Tiger are notorious for this behaviour. I would urge everyone to avoid booking on this airline.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

Canceled flight and did not tell passengers until check in and left them stranded without a second thought. Their ground staff lied to us telling us we would get refund within four to six days, when not received contacted Tigerair and was told it would be four to six weeks. They took our money in seconds but can't refund for weeks? The most worrying part was the plane was canceled due to a hydraulic leak, clearly the planes are not maintained to avoid failure in service and as such unsafe. This airline is incompetent don't put your life in their hands.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

Totally gobsmacked as to why tiger air can just after 2 delays then cancel our flight from Cairns on arvo of leaving in North QLD, stranding my partner and I in Cairns another night having to pay another night's accommodation $150.00 also airfares with Qantas $450.00. Being told tiger can fly us out on the 4th of Jan or a credit on the flight but not only that a full refund, but refund would take 4/5 weeks to be returned to account, also being told to keep booking reference number just in case refund didn't show up?

Had to source other carrier to be back in Brisbane to pick up partner's daughter from airport afternoon of the 3rd and myself having to return to work with a 7 hr drive to get there??? So no way will we be going tiger air again while Qantas/Jetstar and virgin planes taking off all around this one. Virgin now own tiger I've heard but, suppose plane wasn't full enough just cancel and let the people fend for themselves I suppose. Wouldn't have thought Richard Branson would allow this sort of unfairness???

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

The absolutely worst "customer service" policies I have ever encountered. After realizing immediately after MY CHILD clicked "submit" to purchase tickets that I was pricing on this carrier, I spent the next 1.75 hours attempting to reach a human being to request cancellation and refund. When I was finally able to reach a representative, I was told that the no cancellation/no refund possible was inviolate. No human being: not the representative, his supervisor, or anyone including the CEO of the airline could provide an exception to this policy. I will do all I can to warn future travelers/customers of this airline of their absolutely non-existent customer service.

Tiger Airways Company Information