3.37/5

194 Tiger Airways Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 12, 2019

Recently purchased a ticket with Tiger from Proserpine to Sydney and then had connecting flight to Darwin. From previous experience of flight cancellation I thought it was prudent to take up the offered insurance in case the flight was cancelled again. It was of course. I managed to get another 2 flights to Darwin that night (I couldn't wait the offered flight the next day as I was going to work).

After phoning Tiger they agreed to refund my ticket. I asked them about the insurance and if I could claim the cost of the connecting flight from SYD-DRW. In short answer is no. So then what is the purpose of this insurance? 2/2 flights cancelled is bad enough, but when you purchase insurance that would cover expenses than that is just plain rotten. All I can say is 'you get what you pay for'. Go with Jetstar for little extra if possible.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Hi my name is Sai. So some time ago in February I booked return flights to Sydney from The Gold Coast. I needed to have an important medical procedure done. I received my e-receipt and itinerary. I was not given a ''Boarding Pass" per se. All it said was "we recommend you print your itinerary to make sure your boarding process goes smoothly". (I will upload this) So I printed my itinerary and arrived an hour early to my flight.

On the way there I saw someone from Tiger Air and asked "Hi just wondering how I get on to my flight?". She pointed to the area before the gates where people get their baggage checked and said "Oh don't worry about going to there. Just go straight through there to gate 2". I believed her as she worked at the airport and I had no reason to think otherwise.

So I did my security check and waited at my gate until it was time to board with my itinerary on hand. At 9:20-9:30am we started boarding and when I got to the front of the queue I showed this blonde lady my itinerary. She basically yelled and said "YOU NEED YOUR BOARDING PASS, STAND TO THE SIDE and get your ID out" after loudly sighing and rolling her eyes at me. This confused me as I didn't get a boarding pass, while people were going through onto the plane she continued to berate me. Another lady asked if I needed help and she yelled "HE'S LOOKING FOR HIS ID".

I said I had already found it and was just looking for my boarding pass on my phone (which didn't exist). She was extremely rude and hostile and I didn't understand why she was treating me like this, I hadn't done anything to her and was following her instructions, I felt completely humiliated. After about 10-15 minutes all the people had boarded and she looked at me and said "YOU HAVEN'T CHECKED IN, You need to change your flight to a different one. It's going to cost $85". I was so confused as to why then she didn't ask me to go check in instead of standing to the side for so long and embarrassing me.

I have never rated anything 1 star before but this was a truly horrible experience. She had absolutely no sympathy or understanding for my situation and acted like I was an imbecile and a nuisance. I'm not sure if she was racial profiling but she didn't act this way towards anyone else. It was frustrating missing my flight but this girl's attitude is what really made a bad situation. I am a Pharmacist and treat everyone with kindness and empathy, this girl sorely lacks empathy. I will never fly with Tiger Air again and neither will my family members.

I also happen to have had my phone recording the entire time due to a lecture recording I was doing earlier and forgot to switch it off, and can confirm yes she was definitely being extremely hostile. My friends agree with me and I am considering taking this recording to the media because of how badly I was treated. I have now missed my medical procedure in Sydney and have to wait another 6 weeks before I can go again.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Shameless people working in Tiger Air... This flight is here to make money. They don't care for their clients flying with them... Serious advise to Tiger Air please at least give training to your staff to be courteous with your customers else one day you will fly only with your staff just to see if your airplane is working or stopped working lying at airport with no bookings... God bless you and your ** staff.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I arrived to check in one minute before flight close. I’m trying to get help at the self service check in with a crowd of more than 10 Tiger Air staff in front of me chatting to each other, most of them in training. The flight is called closed and I immediately notify the manager I was having difficulty in getting my tickets now she closed it. I was told I could not be helped and a rebooking fee of $85 per person would apply. I was told I was incorrect that I was there during the sweep. I pointed out it was difficult to get any of the staff’s attention as they were prepared to turn their back at exactly 45 minutes before the flight. Then all 10 of them just standing there looking along as the manager showed them how to inform a passenger of rebooking a flight 4 hours later for $19 each more than the online price.

I called Customer Service right away and informed them I am at the airport and experienced poor customer service. I was informed to visit the Customer Service Portal online and detail my complaint. I asked whether this would be responded to urgently and I was assured it would be, selecting the “at the airport” option as instructed by the call centre staff in the Philippines. This staff member was polite and respectful but actually misinformed me to wait until I receive a call or email in response to my complaint. I was sceptical after the recent poor customer service and asked to just give me instructions straight up if the response would take up to 5 business days as instructed online. After an hour of waiting I called Customer Service again.

This time I couldn’t understand the staff member because of her speaking too close to a microphone. I asked her to simply tell me if I need to rebook a flight. Yes I do, she informed. Further time wasted. My complaint will be reviewed but I was late she said. The customer is simply incorrect with Tiger Air. They could just simply train their staff to get customers on flights rather than give them the run around. The lesson is simple. Tiger Air do not care. Say “go away, bye” back to them by booking elsewhere. I give this company not long before enough people realise they are the worst available airline not only in Australia but anywhere in the world. I am well travelled and my mistake was being fooled by their slightly lower price. The sacrifice is very poor customer service..

Original review: April 4, 2019

Been flying around Australia for over 35 years and the 2 worst experiences I have ever had were with this Poor Service Airline. Take the tip, Never Fly Tiger! Fly with Jetstar. They are similarly priced but their service, care and helpful attitude make for a professional enjoyable experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tiger Airways?

Original review: April 4, 2019

Against our better judgement we decided to fly to Hobart with Tiger Air as it was the only service directly from the Gold Coast to Hobart and thought that whilst we had received a text advising that they were changing in flight providers and to bring our own food and drinks on board, this was not an onerous task considering the flight was only about 2/1/2 hours. Flight down was OK although clown in front wanted to get cozy with me by reclining his seat back to my lap, and trip around Tasmania was wonderful.

We were to fly out on 16/2/2017 at 8.00 a.m. but we received a text advising that the flight had been cancelled and we made our way to the airport to see what we could do.No staff at 6.30 at the check in and a call o the call centre advised us that they would arrange a flight to Brisbane and we could claim up to $120 per customer and this was also advised to us by the check in girls who had arrived.

It is interesting to note that there were only a few other inconvenienced customers being affected and it is not being cynical to wonder why the flight to Hobart had been cancelled. We were finally booked on a flight to Brisbane, not the Gold coast where we had paid our fares for, and we needed our son to travel form the Gold Coast to Brisbane to pick us up. Since then, all emails to Tiger have been treated as a joke and we have been able to communicate with 3 of the "officers" handling complaints, and was chastised we for not using the same "thread" to communicate- use of this thread has not found the spider at the end, just another example of the arrogance this very poor airline supplies.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Over the past two weeks we have been subjected to the worst airline in the World, Tiger Air. On the first occasion we had expected to travel from Adelaide to Melbourne but arrived at the airport to be told our flight was delayed by almost two hours, so a scheduled flight took off more than two hours late. Not so bad you say, I also note worst on this site.

The next weekend I had to send my daughter back to University in Adelaide on Sunday with the flight taking off (allegedly) at 1.35 pm. Arrived at the airport to be told the flight was delayed again by an hour. Then as we were about to depart for the gate, we were told the flight was to be delayed by 89 minutes. My daughter had to be in Adelaide for a tutorial earlier than the said time so I had to fork out $436 to fly with another airline. Tiger staff were under pressure with no added support. In effect hung out to dry. I will be claiming the added cost from Tiger and never attempting to fly with them again. I think they should be shut down.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Flew Melbourne to Cairns on 04-03-19. Partners luggage went on holiday to Coffs Harbour! Care of Tiger Air reported it to the people at Cairns at 10am that it contained medication that was on ice and was needed. They were not really interested and received a call at 4.30pm to say we would get it the following day at about 11am. This means that the medication will be ruined (not that they care at all). It’s now turned 11 the next day and nothing, not even a phone call. Beware of flying with this airline. They are cheap for a reason and their customer service is non existent. Waste your money if you want but there other discount flights out there.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Like other people we were let down with TigerAir and their cancellations, Thursday 17th on the red-eye we were due to fly out Perth to Sydney then we received the email, we called them up after 30 mins they answered, we were told they had no more flights for one month for us, so we were able to book with Virgin at a lot more cost no problem we had to get where we were going. We are asking Tiger Air for a simple letter for our insurance to state it was industrial action (strike). Hey it's all over the news, guess what they cannot do it so we lose out all round. SO NOW LIKE EVERYONE ELSE I WON'T BE FLYING AGAIN (FIRST AND LAST TIME) WITH TIGERAIR. Don't forget folks this is part of Virgin Australia.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Never flown them before and now regret it... Our flight last week from Brisbane to Melbourne was delayed 3 hours and then sat on the tarmac for another 45 minutes -- copped that ok but our flight today from Adelaide to Brisbane TT314 has just been cancelled completely. We received earlier texts saying they wouldn’t provide any food on the flight, then another to say it was delayed and now another to say it’s cancelled. I’ve called them and they said to apply for compensation as I’ve had to book Virgin flight which will take 3 weeks for a reply... I asked if I could speak to anyone who assesses compensation and they said no... I asked for an immediate refund and they agreed to do but would take their Finance team up to 2 weeks to process. So I asked if I could speak to someone in their Finance team and errr no again...

I asked if I could get an email or SMS to show evidence they will refund our flight and I got errr no again... The reason for the flight cancellation is “engineering requirements” but this seems to be a pattern if you check reviews on Facebook and Google - I’m thinking if they don’t have a full plane they just cancel it and let their call centre absorb the flak from customer. In addition their website and Webjet are still advertising and taking bookings for a cancelled flight an hour or so after telling existing passengers the flight is cancelled, as I’m writing this... I’m trying not to swear in my review here but it’s very ** and really it doesn’t make any sense to run any business like this...

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have done fly-in fly out Brisbane to Sydney for three and a half years. 95% of the time I have flown Tigerair, Mondays and Fridays. The service has been friendly and good. As long as you follow their rules. It is budget because the same person who checks you in has to go help at the gate. If you need to check in baggage, get there 1 hour and 15 minutes before.

Also in the three and a half years, Tiger have cancelled my flight maybe 5 times. Twice have been for engineering reasons and the rest due to weather (all airlines affected). I may have been just plain lucky, but knock on wood; this has not really been that bad for me. I have traveled a lot less on Jetstar and have been cancelled 3 times, and their staff are just plain rude. Tigerair offer a refund or the next available flight which admittedly is the next day, but I have had to fly once the next day with Qantas due to bad weather. I mitigate risk for holiday weekends by booking with either Qantas or Virgin well in advance. I do not risk it with Tigerair or Jetstar as they have much fewer flights change you to. I have saved thousands over the years with Tigerair. I am generally happy with the experience.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Check in closed when I was arriving 2 mins late to the check in machine. The desk then informed us we could not board. They could have got us onto the flight with ease given the time available or I don’t even mind to pay extra to board the same flight. Shifted to next available flight and ended up with an hour delay again. In total 2 hours and half late due to that. I hope they go out of business. I’d give them no stars if that option was available. My departing flight was delayed for 2 hours for no reasons at all.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

4 hours to take off flight cancelled. Screwed up Aus day weekend, was promised I had a reservation next day, arrived to find no booking, screwed twice. Paid to travel on Virgin and will never use Tiger again, they are lower than budget, don't risk it. Virgin are a few dollars more but with food, baggage and meals they are actually cheaper and Western values won't let you down, Tiger are set for bankruptcy.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Check in closed milliseconds to arriving to the check in machine. The desk then informed us we could not board. So we sit in coffee lounge knowing our aircraft is sitting out there not due to depart for 3/4s of an hour. They could have got us onto the flight with ease given the time available. I hope they go out of business. I’d give them no stars if that option was avail.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We had two flights to take with Tigerair, Sydney to Cairns and back. The first was cancelled (due to unexplained airplane technical problems), and the second was 5 hours late. We requested reimbursement of A$120 each for our missed hotel reservations (and lost vacation day), and nothing happened. They simply stopped answering our emails after we gave them our bank details to receive the money at. Tigerair, WHERE'S MY MONEY?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

My flight from Sydney to Brisbane has been cancelled. I called the customer service but no one picks up my call. I rushed to the airport and getting told that too there is no flight for the following 2 days. So I asked for a full refund and spent another $215 for a flight with JETSTAR. The staffs were rude, they dont care about my problem. They just asked me to speak to VIRGIN or Jetstar. Also, there are no options for rebooking or changing flight date in the text/email. I'll never fly with TIGERAIR and will never recommend TIGERAIR to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Arriving at T4 Melbourne for Tiger Air flight TT413 Mel to Per. Just as I arrive, I receive a text informing me flight has been cancelled. Someone at customer service informs me there is no affiliations, and no flight available for 2 days. So I wind up running around the airport like dizzy chook to get home for the contract I'm booked for... Had my pants pulled down to the tune of Au $1550 to get home with Qantas, and lost a day's work and wages too. I cannot recommend Tiger Air, and will never fly with them again. I believe I am about to get into a legal battle to recover my losses for flights and wages. P.s: This is the polite version.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Flight TT813 13 December from Brisbane to Canberra canceled just as boarding time approached. Next flight offered to me was Sunday 16 Dec.! That would mean 3 nights accommodation in Brisbane, plus meals etc which is not acceptable. After an hour on the phone I was unable to speak to a manager and told to complain through the portal, or get a refund. In desperation I paid $450 for a flight with Virgin today. This is a cheaper option than staying in Brisbane stranded til Sunday. My trust in Tiger is totally gone, I will never fly with them again and will not recommend Tiger to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My both flights from Brisbane to Melbourne TT539 on 29 Nov 2018 at 8:20 pm canceled due to engineering issue and I was only informed 2 hour prior to departure time. They don’t even provide accommodation and I was forced to book early morning flight next day with another airline. The same happened on my way return to Brisbane TT536 at 7:05 pm on 9th Dec 2018. Again the excuse is engineering problem. I am forced to buy the same day ticket of another airline.

I total I lost nearly 400 dollars. Don’t ever book this ** airline.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We had flight from Gold Coast to Melbourne. We got an email few hours before our flight. "The flight has been cancelled ". We asked customer service in Gold Coast Airport the reason. They said "engine problem, they'll refund in 7-10 days and buy tickets from other airline". And the counter of Tiger Air is next to the counter of Virgin. So we had to buy very very expensive tickets from Virgin. We felt they were connected to try to make money. Never fly with ** airline.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Seriously if I could, I would get no star. What kind of airline will have delay and then not being responsible for their customers' schedules and plans. Do not fly with Tiger. They are not reliable, always long delays, and no refund or even giving you flight with another partner. Pay a little bit more. Use Virgin and Qantas. Even though Jetstar has the same price, they are much more reliable and nicer to their customers. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We were returning home from Melbourne to Perth on flight TT413 and we had checked in to Tigerair with one piece of luggage about 4 hours prior. I received a text message a couple hours before departure to say my flight had been cancelled due to engineering "requirements" and that we had been put onto a flight 36 hours later. They gave me a $120 rebate form to be used for Accommodation OR Travel (in friggin Melbourne). If anyone can find a clean room and travel in Melbourne from Tullamarine airport for under that amount in the last minute, please let me know because the internet couldnt find anything.

A little about me, I don't have a lot of money and I was returning from a holiday I had to scrounge and save for, so being stranded at an airport for an extra 36 hours with no food or bottled water was tough, I couldn't even use the form they gave me to get reimbursed for any accommodation because I had no money to foot the original bill. The blonde lady whom worked the afternoon shift on the 26 of November along next to an Asian gentlemen could not give a toss and was so blatantly rude to everyone who was having this issue, as I had checked in already they had my suitcase returned to the counter which she almost gave to an absolute stranger without checking ID!!!

I spent good money on this flight and they practically left me there to die. The customer service lady said "oh, we just don't have many flights to Perth so there's nothing I can do". I guess that's enough excuse to let someone starve. Apparently we were the lucky ones, people who had checked in 2 hours prior (domestic flight btw) got delayed for more than 48 hours.

I'm absolutely disgusted in the way the organisation and its staff have handled the situation, they were more worried about their own personal text messages (as I picked up overhearing them having a good ol chat while 20 people were in line) than my actual safety and well being which is completely opposite to their promise to consumers. Please think twice before using this airline.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Tigerair...words cannot describe how disorganized and disgusting your customer service was today!!! Our flights to Perth from Melbourne got cancelled with a mere 2 hours noticed, the fact that you only give a $120 reimbursement for a room is a joke! (Rooms in the local area cost $320.) We were down to our last dollars meaning that we had no money for food let alone a room for the night. Luckily I was able to borrow money from family so we didn’t have to sleep on the airport floor and wait 36 hours!!! The staff didn’t seem to care at all!! The fact that there was a line of customers with complaints and the Tigerair staff are having a good chat to one another, “did he text you” I heard one of the girls say, not giving a damn about customers who need assistance. Sorry to say but that’s not good enough... I get better customer service from McDonald’s. Very poor and disgusting effort Tigerair... First and last time I’ll be flying with them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

To start with I have given 1 star as there was no option to give NO STAR at all. Absolutely worst experience with this airlines. Staff is unimaginably RUDE. When I say Rude I mean seriously rude. To be specific the blonde on check-in counter at Melbourne Tullamarine airport and an Asian bloke near the boarding counter at the gate. To start with they do not accept a person exactly 4 min late. Like seriously?? My flight was at 5:20pm Melbourne time and I arrived at the counter 41min earlier to boarding instead of 45min earlier. This was to an absolutely horrific change in weather and a terrible traffic. No matter how much I request there was a straight NO. The blonde was more concerned of what time she was working from and till what time she have to serve me.

The bloke on the other hand was a complete **. When I told him about the weather, he started asking about how the weather was back in Adelaide and that he would love to be in that weather. When I said even though I'm just 4min late I'm happy to pay a fine to board the flight as there was 40min to start boarding. But he said the fine is to buy a new ticket for next day! UNIMAGINABLE for a professional airline to have such a terrible staff like this. This is all when they themselves are easily 20 to 40min late on a regular basis. Absolutely terrible experience.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

While on a business trip to Sydney we decided to purchase the travel insurance offered by Tigerair on their booking website. On our return journey the plane had an engineering problem which made us return to Sydney. We were then told the next flight available to get home was in 48 hrs. Tiger offered us 1 night's accommodation and a place on the flight in 48 hrs at no charge.

I was not concerned as we had taken out the Tigerair insurance to cover the short fall of staying in Sydney (transport, accommodation, meals). Upon returning home I lodged my insurance claim which was very straightforward and we had kept the expenses to a minimum so I was confident that that claim would not be a problem, however it would now appear that having a travel delay with Tigerair, the very airline that we were insured with is not covered.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

TigerAir lost one piece of my luggage on Tuesday 6th November (Mel - Syd). When I arrived at Sydney airport, no TigerAir staff could be located at around 9 pm to advise. I immediately rang the customer service support line and reported the lost luggage. Two weeks later, numerous calls and emails and absolutely nothing. Very poor show. I will never fly Tiger again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

First and last experience with Tigerair. Got on a flight to Brisbane from Sydney after arriving from NYC where I had travelled carry on the whole way. Then advised it would be a $75 charge to check my back which was slightly over the weight limit. How much??? To add insult to that the overhead baggage compartments were only half full for the flight. What a scam. Also, the plane itself was quite old and I haven't seen so many seats crammed in - had the knees of the guy behind me in my back the whole trip. Not even Airlines in American, which have much worse reputations, are actually this bad. No savings and no value in flying with this company, won't be doing it again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Tiger is a piece of crap airline!??? Broken seats (stabbing in back by something, nonreclining), shoving passengers in exit rows who are not willing and able (on a full flight), cancellations without providing passengers notice... And they wonder why they get abused at the front counter (note: it wasn’t me, but I did see at least 3 different people) - because the crap company they work for are too “cheap” (not cheap enough for what they provide) and have questionable integrity in their operations. I do feel sorry for the staff, but they don’t even pave the aisle for safety checks before take off. I suppose any pride in doing their job is quickly lost when they start working for this airline. This is the second time I’ve flown them from T4 MEL (this time too OOL). Never again!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Flying from BRN to MEL on TT515 0855 dep BRN. As the cabin crew were serving the paying passengers only moving the bar cart down the Aisle, I requested a glass of water and was told there was no water on board, but I could purchase a bottle for 4 AUD. What a disgrace in a first world country a human being cannot get a sip of water free of charge to quench their thirst. If I had not left my wallet at home I would have purchased a bottle. I understand these are budget airlines but a glass of water??? I give dogs and cats free water when they come into my garden.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I had booked Tigerair flights from BNE-MEL round trip. I was supposed to depart on a Friday evening and in the afternoon I was notified my Tigerair flight was cancelled so I had been booked on a Virgin Australia flight. I had never flown Tigerair before so I didn't realize this was a blessing in disguise. On my return Tigerair flight from MEL-BNE however, while checking in, no one weighed our bags and right before boarding we are all lined up and our bags are being weighed. I think it is quite ridiculous how little the baggage limit is already but the fact that you'd wait till boarding to weigh luggage is completely a money making strategy.

My carry on was below the weight limit but I was asked to also put down my purse which made me go above the tiny allowable weight limit-again so that they could make extra cash. I was upset but paid for excess baggage and boarded. The worst part was how disgusting and dated the plane was. One of the aisle seats had ripped cushion and gum stuck to the side. As others needed room to board, I stood in front of the seat for a few seconds only to notice gum stuck to the back of my jeans. You'd never expect that inside an aircraft! Needless to say, it was an awful experience and I'd never use this airline again. So gross!

Tiger Airways Company Information