1.21/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

187 Tiger Airways Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 5, 2019

Flew Melbourne to Cairns on 04-03-19. Partners luggage went on holiday to Coffs Harbour! Care of Tiger Air reported it to the people at Cairns at 10am that it contained medication that was on ice and was needed. They were not really interested and received a call at 4.30pm to say we would get it the following day at about 11am. This means that the medication will be ruined (not that they care at all). It’s now turned 11 the next day and nothing, not even a phone call. Beware of flying with this airline. They are cheap for a reason and their customer service is non existent. Waste your money if you want but there other discount flights out there.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Like other people we were let down with TigerAir and their cancellations, Thursday 17th on the red-eye we were due to fly out Perth to Sydney then we received the email, we called them up after 30 mins they answered, we were told they had no more flights for one month for us, so we were able to book with Virgin at a lot more cost no problem we had to get where we were going. We are asking Tiger Air for a simple letter for our insurance to state it was industrial action (strike). Hey it's all over the news, guess what they cannot do it so we lose out all round. SO NOW LIKE EVERYONE ELSE I WON'T BE FLYING AGAIN (FIRST AND LAST TIME) WITH TIGERAIR. Don't forget folks this is part of Virgin Australia.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Never flown them before and now regret it... Our flight last week from Brisbane to Melbourne was delayed 3 hours and then sat on the tarmac for another 45 minutes -- copped that ok but our flight today from Adelaide to Brisbane TT314 has just been cancelled completely. We received earlier texts saying they wouldn’t provide any food on the flight, then another to say it was delayed and now another to say it’s cancelled. I’ve called them and they said to apply for compensation as I’ve had to book Virgin flight which will take 3 weeks for a reply... I asked if I could speak to anyone who assesses compensation and they said no... I asked for an immediate refund and they agreed to do but would take their Finance team up to 2 weeks to process. So I asked if I could speak to someone in their Finance team and errr no again...

I asked if I could get an email or SMS to show evidence they will refund our flight and I got errr no again... The reason for the flight cancellation is “engineering requirements” but this seems to be a pattern if you check reviews on Facebook and Google - I’m thinking if they don’t have a full plane they just cancel it and let their call centre absorb the flak from customer. In addition their website and Webjet are still advertising and taking bookings for a cancelled flight an hour or so after telling existing passengers the flight is cancelled, as I’m writing this... I’m trying not to swear in my review here but it’s very ** and really it doesn’t make any sense to run any business like this...

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have done fly-in fly out Brisbane to Sydney for three and a half years. 95% of the time I have flown Tigerair, Mondays and Fridays. The service has been friendly and good. As long as you follow their rules. It is budget because the same person who checks you in has to go help at the gate. If you need to check in baggage, get there 1 hour and 15 minutes before.

Also in the three and a half years, Tiger have cancelled my flight maybe 5 times. Twice have been for engineering reasons and the rest due to weather (all airlines affected). I may have been just plain lucky, but knock on wood; this has not really been that bad for me. I have traveled a lot less on Jetstar and have been cancelled 3 times, and their staff are just plain rude. Tigerair offer a refund or the next available flight which admittedly is the next day, but I have had to fly once the next day with Qantas due to bad weather. I mitigate risk for holiday weekends by booking with either Qantas or Virgin well in advance. I do not risk it with Tigerair or Jetstar as they have much fewer flights change you to. I have saved thousands over the years with Tigerair. I am generally happy with the experience.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Check in closed when I was arriving 2 mins late to the check in machine. The desk then informed us we could not board. They could have got us onto the flight with ease given the time available or I don’t even mind to pay extra to board the same flight. Shifted to next available flight and ended up with an hour delay again. In total 2 hours and half late due to that. I hope they go out of business. I’d give them no stars if that option was available. My departing flight was delayed for 2 hours for no reasons at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tiger Airways?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

4 hours to take off flight cancelled. Screwed up Aus day weekend, was promised I had a reservation next day, arrived to find no booking, screwed twice. Paid to travel on Virgin and will never use Tiger again, they are lower than budget, don't risk it. Virgin are a few dollars more but with food, baggage and meals they are actually cheaper and Western values won't let you down, Tiger are set for bankruptcy.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Check in closed milliseconds to arriving to the check in machine. The desk then informed us we could not board. So we sit in coffee lounge knowing our aircraft is sitting out there not due to depart for 3/4s of an hour. They could have got us onto the flight with ease given the time available. I hope they go out of business. I’d give them no stars if that option was avail.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We had two flights to take with Tigerair, Sydney to Cairns and back. The first was cancelled (due to unexplained airplane technical problems), and the second was 5 hours late. We requested reimbursement of A$120 each for our missed hotel reservations (and lost vacation day), and nothing happened. They simply stopped answering our emails after we gave them our bank details to receive the money at. Tigerair, WHERE'S MY MONEY?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

My flight from Sydney to Brisbane has been cancelled. I called the customer service but no one picks up my call. I rushed to the airport and getting told that too there is no flight for the following 2 days. So I asked for a full refund and spent another $215 for a flight with JETSTAR. The staffs were rude, they dont care about my problem. They just asked me to speak to VIRGIN or Jetstar. Also, there are no options for rebooking or changing flight date in the text/email. I'll never fly with TIGERAIR and will never recommend TIGERAIR to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Arriving at T4 Melbourne for Tiger Air flight TT413 Mel to Per. Just as I arrive, I receive a text informing me flight has been cancelled. Someone at customer service informs me there is no affiliations, and no flight available for 2 days. So I wind up running around the airport like dizzy chook to get home for the contract I'm booked for... Had my pants pulled down to the tune of Au $1550 to get home with Qantas, and lost a day's work and wages too. I cannot recommend Tiger Air, and will never fly with them again. I believe I am about to get into a legal battle to recover my losses for flights and wages. P.s: This is the polite version.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Flight TT813 13 December from Brisbane to Canberra canceled just as boarding time approached. Next flight offered to me was Sunday 16 Dec.! That would mean 3 nights accommodation in Brisbane, plus meals etc which is not acceptable. After an hour on the phone I was unable to speak to a manager and told to complain through the portal, or get a refund. In desperation I paid $450 for a flight with Virgin today. This is a cheaper option than staying in Brisbane stranded til Sunday. My trust in Tiger is totally gone, I will never fly with them again and will not recommend Tiger to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My both flights from Brisbane to Melbourne TT539 on 29 Nov 2018 at 8:20 pm canceled due to engineering issue and I was only informed 2 hour prior to departure time. They don’t even provide accommodation and I was forced to book early morning flight next day with another airline. The same happened on my way return to Brisbane TT536 at 7:05 pm on 9th Dec 2018. Again the excuse is engineering problem. I am forced to buy the same day ticket of another airline.

I total I lost nearly 400 dollars. Don’t ever book this ** airline.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We had flight from Gold Coast to Melbourne. We got an email few hours before our flight. "The flight has been cancelled ". We asked customer service in Gold Coast Airport the reason. They said "engine problem, they'll refund in 7-10 days and buy tickets from other airline". And the counter of Tiger Air is next to the counter of Virgin. So we had to buy very very expensive tickets from Virgin. We felt they were connected to try to make money. Never fly with ** airline.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Seriously if I could, I would get no star. What kind of airline will have delay and then not being responsible for their customers' schedules and plans. Do not fly with Tiger. They are not reliable, always long delays, and no refund or even giving you flight with another partner. Pay a little bit more. Use Virgin and Qantas. Even though Jetstar has the same price, they are much more reliable and nicer to their customers. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We were returning home from Melbourne to Perth on flight TT413 and we had checked in to Tigerair with one piece of luggage about 4 hours prior. I received a text message a couple hours before departure to say my flight had been cancelled due to engineering "requirements" and that we had been put onto a flight 36 hours later. They gave me a $120 rebate form to be used for Accommodation OR Travel (in friggin Melbourne). If anyone can find a clean room and travel in Melbourne from Tullamarine airport for under that amount in the last minute, please let me know because the internet couldnt find anything.

A little about me, I don't have a lot of money and I was returning from a holiday I had to scrounge and save for, so being stranded at an airport for an extra 36 hours with no food or bottled water was tough, I couldn't even use the form they gave me to get reimbursed for any accommodation because I had no money to foot the original bill. The blonde lady whom worked the afternoon shift on the 26 of November along next to an Asian gentlemen could not give a toss and was so blatantly rude to everyone who was having this issue, as I had checked in already they had my suitcase returned to the counter which she almost gave to an absolute stranger without checking ID!!!

I spent good money on this flight and they practically left me there to die. The customer service lady said "oh, we just don't have many flights to Perth so there's nothing I can do". I guess that's enough excuse to let someone starve. Apparently we were the lucky ones, people who had checked in 2 hours prior (domestic flight btw) got delayed for more than 48 hours.

I'm absolutely disgusted in the way the organisation and its staff have handled the situation, they were more worried about their own personal text messages (as I picked up overhearing them having a good ol chat while 20 people were in line) than my actual safety and well being which is completely opposite to their promise to consumers. Please think twice before using this airline.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Tigerair...words cannot describe how disorganized and disgusting your customer service was today!!! Our flights to Perth from Melbourne got cancelled with a mere 2 hours noticed, the fact that you only give a $120 reimbursement for a room is a joke! (Rooms in the local area cost $320.) We were down to our last dollars meaning that we had no money for food let alone a room for the night. Luckily I was able to borrow money from family so we didn’t have to sleep on the airport floor and wait 36 hours!!! The staff didn’t seem to care at all!! The fact that there was a line of customers with complaints and the Tigerair staff are having a good chat to one another, “did he text you” I heard one of the girls say, not giving a damn about customers who need assistance. Sorry to say but that’s not good enough... I get better customer service from McDonald’s. Very poor and disgusting effort Tigerair... First and last time I’ll be flying with them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

To start with I have given 1 star as there was no option to give NO STAR at all. Absolutely worst experience with this airlines. Staff is unimaginably RUDE. When I say Rude I mean seriously rude. To be specific the blonde on check-in counter at Melbourne Tullamarine airport and an Asian bloke near the boarding counter at the gate. To start with they do not accept a person exactly 4 min late. Like seriously?? My flight was at 5:20pm Melbourne time and I arrived at the counter 41min earlier to boarding instead of 45min earlier. This was to an absolutely horrific change in weather and a terrible traffic. No matter how much I request there was a straight NO. The blonde was more concerned of what time she was working from and till what time she have to serve me.

The bloke on the other hand was a complete **. When I told him about the weather, he started asking about how the weather was back in Adelaide and that he would love to be in that weather. When I said even though I'm just 4min late I'm happy to pay a fine to board the flight as there was 40min to start boarding. But he said the fine is to buy a new ticket for next day! UNIMAGINABLE for a professional airline to have such a terrible staff like this. This is all when they themselves are easily 20 to 40min late on a regular basis. Absolutely terrible experience.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

While on a business trip to Sydney we decided to purchase the travel insurance offered by Tigerair on their booking website. On our return journey the plane had an engineering problem which made us return to Sydney. We were then told the next flight available to get home was in 48 hrs. Tiger offered us 1 night's accommodation and a place on the flight in 48 hrs at no charge.

I was not concerned as we had taken out the Tigerair insurance to cover the short fall of staying in Sydney (transport, accommodation, meals). Upon returning home I lodged my insurance claim which was very straightforward and we had kept the expenses to a minimum so I was confident that that claim would not be a problem, however it would now appear that having a travel delay with Tigerair, the very airline that we were insured with is not covered.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

TigerAir lost one piece of my luggage on Tuesday 6th November (Mel - Syd). When I arrived at Sydney airport, no TigerAir staff could be located at around 9 pm to advise. I immediately rang the customer service support line and reported the lost luggage. Two weeks later, numerous calls and emails and absolutely nothing. Very poor show. I will never fly Tiger again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

First and last experience with Tigerair. Got on a flight to Brisbane from Sydney after arriving from NYC where I had travelled carry on the whole way. Then advised it would be a $75 charge to check my back which was slightly over the weight limit. How much??? To add insult to that the overhead baggage compartments were only half full for the flight. What a scam. Also, the plane itself was quite old and I haven't seen so many seats crammed in - had the knees of the guy behind me in my back the whole trip. Not even Airlines in American, which have much worse reputations, are actually this bad. No savings and no value in flying with this company, won't be doing it again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Tiger is a piece of crap airline!??? Broken seats (stabbing in back by something, nonreclining), shoving passengers in exit rows who are not willing and able (on a full flight), cancellations without providing passengers notice... And they wonder why they get abused at the front counter (note: it wasn’t me, but I did see at least 3 different people) - because the crap company they work for are too “cheap” (not cheap enough for what they provide) and have questionable integrity in their operations. I do feel sorry for the staff, but they don’t even pave the aisle for safety checks before take off. I suppose any pride in doing their job is quickly lost when they start working for this airline. This is the second time I’ve flown them from T4 MEL (this time too OOL). Never again!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Flying from BRN to MEL on TT515 0855 dep BRN. As the cabin crew were serving the paying passengers only moving the bar cart down the Aisle, I requested a glass of water and was told there was no water on board, but I could purchase a bottle for 4 AUD. What a disgrace in a first world country a human being cannot get a sip of water free of charge to quench their thirst. If I had not left my wallet at home I would have purchased a bottle. I understand these are budget airlines but a glass of water??? I give dogs and cats free water when they come into my garden.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I had booked Tigerair flights from BNE-MEL round trip. I was supposed to depart on a Friday evening and in the afternoon I was notified my Tigerair flight was cancelled so I had been booked on a Virgin Australia flight. I had never flown Tigerair before so I didn't realize this was a blessing in disguise. On my return Tigerair flight from MEL-BNE however, while checking in, no one weighed our bags and right before boarding we are all lined up and our bags are being weighed. I think it is quite ridiculous how little the baggage limit is already but the fact that you'd wait till boarding to weigh luggage is completely a money making strategy.

My carry on was below the weight limit but I was asked to also put down my purse which made me go above the tiny allowable weight limit-again so that they could make extra cash. I was upset but paid for excess baggage and boarded. The worst part was how disgusting and dated the plane was. One of the aisle seats had ripped cushion and gum stuck to the side. As others needed room to board, I stood in front of the seat for a few seconds only to notice gum stuck to the back of my jeans. You'd never expect that inside an aircraft! Needless to say, it was an awful experience and I'd never use this airline again. So gross!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My flight was supposed to depart at 625pm - however, as usual, they delay the flight and the flight is now departing at 725pm. I have checked in the night before, only needed to do bag drop which I was told by the call center closes 45 mins before the departure time. I got to the airport more than 1 hour before my flight, at the bag drop machine thing at 630pm. This is 55 mins to go until 725pm. I could not drop off my bag because it was closed. I queued at the desk and was told that the bag drop has closed!!! It closed at 540pm.

I am like, in your terms and condition here: ** -- which stated in verbatim: "If you have completed Web Check-in (checked-in online) and have checked baggage, you will need to visit the bag drop area before boarding. Domestic bag drop closes 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure so please allow enough time to complete this step." Then, the Tiger lady at the counter told me I could try taking the bag through the security bag and speak to the staff at the counter to board me with the bag.

The staff was extremely extremely rude, even threatened to call the AFP because when I explained the situation and she kept saying something else which didn't make sense. So I asked her if "are you deaf" and raised my voice. This was extremely frustrating and distressing and I will be taking this to ACCC/fair trading commission. So I did went through the security and only got there to be denied and was told I had to pay $85 to board on the next flight. FML - don't know which one is worse Tiger or Jetstar. After this treatment, definitely Tiger air is the worst airline.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

After our flight was cancelled 5 minutes before we were supposed to board, we choose to accept the situation as best we could, no other available flights until 30 hours later so we re-booked with Jetstar the following morning and had to stay at an airport hotel overnight. After 4 weeks of getting nowhere with refunds and reimbursements I took to social media and started complaining on Tiger's Instagram and FB pages. Amazingly I received an email on a Sunday afternoon (on the day I made numerous posts) advising me that I will be reimbursed for the hotel. Why make your customers jump through hoops and get so frustrated that publicly shaming you is the only way to get a favourable response. Just do the right thing in the first place.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My flight from Melbourne to Perth was cancelled with a few hours' notice - no problem. I chose to accept a refund and was told it would take up to 3 weeks. It is now 6 weeks later and I still have not been reimbursed for their cancellation, despite numerous phone calls and emails to their 'customer service' department. Have now made a complaint to the Airline Customer Advocate...will see what unfolds!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have just flown for Sydney to Perth with Tiger Air. I have to say that I was very apprehensive after reading other reviews. But I have to say that none of the complaints happened to me. The service was excellent when I arrived at the terminal and for a 70 years old traveling on their own this is very important. The flight was so smooth you forgot you were in a plane and the in flight staff were very courteous and friendly. The only disappointment was the engine noise as the plane was smaller than the Qantas ones I usually fly in. But I put the headphones in and it was all good. Flying back in 10 days. Will use again as the flight was half the cost.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I was supposed to board my flight at 7:40 pm from Melbourne to Sydney, after delaying for 2 hours, they cancelled our flight at 9:30 pm. They advised they will compensate me $120 worth of either accommodation or travelling. Since the event I was attending in Sydney was important and I had to be there by 10 am. Booked the earliest flight. Stayed in nearest hotel as travelling to home was 60 mins one way. After that, the Airways denied me compensation. It has one of the worst service ever. Expected more from a country like Australia.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I see a pattern, have read the other reviews, lack of service is the motto. Check in status at the airport indicator board said "open". Went to the counter, moron female behind the counter said I was late. Back & forth with the idiot who had no ability to look me in the eye. She claimed the "status" on the airport boards are not controlled by them - this is a lie. Requested to speak to a supervisor, who was another embarrassment passing for a female. She tried to be condescending, talk over top of me etc, would not let us on, said the usual Tiger extortion line of appearing to offer to reschedule if we did pay additional $85 to get on the next flight TOMORROW.

She was a top shelf **. She could not cope with me holding my ground so then tried to threaten to call the AFP, I thoroughly requested she do so, so when she saw she was not getting anywhere with me she then tried to squeak out more threats in my direction declaring "they won't side with you" - she was stupid enough to think that I would even care. She further ridiculed herself by futilely trying to get me to bite when she squeaked out "the offer to reschedule is withdrawn". This 1st class idiot could not even work out that I had already ditched them - here she was still thinking she had some sort of upper hand I did not even heed her in any way on that attempted utterance & so she tried it again, still to no utterance from me.

AFP came along, I informed them immediately that she had already declared "AFP won't side with you", they clearly had heard that one before because they quickly wiped their hands of allying in any way with Tiger airline & the morons that were attempting to man the check in counter at Tiger. Heed all reviews, never, never fly Tiger, ever, ever, EVER! Let's put them all out of jobs.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

They canceled all flights the day I was supposed to fly, less than 24 hours before flying. All the other providers increased the fare prices because of this. They are the worst company operating in Australia.

Tiger Airways Company Information