1.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

177 Tiger Airways Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Arriving at T4 Melbourne for Tiger Air flight TT413 Mel to Per. Just as I arrive, I receive a text informing me flight has been cancelled. Someone at customer service informs me there is no affiliations, and no flight available for 2 days. So I wind up running around the airport like dizzy chook to get home for the contract I'm booked for... Had my pants pulled down to the tune of Au $1550 to get home with Qantas, and lost a day's work and wages too. I cannot recommend Tiger Air, and will never fly with them again. I believe I am about to get into a legal battle to recover my losses for flights and wages. P.s: This is the polite version.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My both flights from Brisbane to Melbourne TT539 on 29 Nov 2018 at 8:20 pm canceled due to engineering issue and I was only informed 2 hour prior to departure time. They don’t even provide accommodation and I was forced to book early morning flight next day with another airline. The same happened on my way return to Brisbane TT536 at 7:05 pm on 9th Dec 2018. Again the excuse is engineering problem. I am forced to buy the same day ticket of another airline.

I total I lost nearly 400 dollars. Don’t ever book this ** airline.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We had flight from Gold Coast to Melbourne. We got an email few hours before our flight. "The flight has been cancelled ". We asked customer service in Gold Coast Airport the reason. They said "engine problem, they'll refund in 7-10 days and buy tickets from other airline". And the counter of Tiger Air is next to the counter of Virgin. So we had to buy very very expensive tickets from Virgin. We felt they were connected to try to make money. Never fly with ** airline.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Seriously if I could, I would get no star. What kind of airline will have delay and then not being responsible for their customers' schedules and plans. Do not fly with Tiger. They are not reliable, always long delays, and no refund or even giving you flight with another partner. Pay a little bit more. Use Virgin and Qantas. Even though Jetstar has the same price, they are much more reliable and nicer to their customers. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We were returning home from Melbourne to Perth on flight TT413 and we had checked in to Tigerair with one piece of luggage about 4 hours prior. I received a text message a couple hours before departure to say my flight had been cancelled due to engineering "requirements" and that we had been put onto a flight 36 hours later. They gave me a $120 rebate form to be used for Accommodation OR Travel (in friggin Melbourne). If anyone can find a clean room and travel in Melbourne from Tullamarine airport for under that amount in the last minute, please let me know because the internet couldnt find anything.

A little about me, I don't have a lot of money and I was returning from a holiday I had to scrounge and save for, so being stranded at an airport for an extra 36 hours with no food or bottled water was tough, I couldn't even use the form they gave me to get reimbursed for any accommodation because I had no money to foot the original bill. The blonde lady whom worked the afternoon shift on the 26 of November along next to an Asian gentlemen could not give a toss and was so blatantly rude to everyone who was having this issue, as I had checked in already they had my suitcase returned to the counter which she almost gave to an absolute stranger without checking ID!!!

I spent good money on this flight and they practically left me there to die. The customer service lady said "oh, we just don't have many flights to Perth so there's nothing I can do". I guess that's enough excuse to let someone starve. Apparently we were the lucky ones, people who had checked in 2 hours prior (domestic flight btw) got delayed for more than 48 hours.

I'm absolutely disgusted in the way the organisation and its staff have handled the situation, they were more worried about their own personal text messages (as I picked up overhearing them having a good ol chat while 20 people were in line) than my actual safety and well being which is completely opposite to their promise to consumers. Please think twice before using this airline.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tiger Airways?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Tigerair...words cannot describe how disorganized and disgusting your customer service was today!!! Our flights to Perth from Melbourne got cancelled with a mere 2 hours noticed, the fact that you only give a $120 reimbursement for a room is a joke! (Rooms in the local area cost $320.) We were down to our last dollars meaning that we had no money for food let alone a room for the night. Luckily I was able to borrow money from family so we didn’t have to sleep on the airport floor and wait 36 hours!!! The staff didn’t seem to care at all!! The fact that there was a line of customers with complaints and the Tigerair staff are having a good chat to one another, “did he text you” I heard one of the girls say, not giving a damn about customers who need assistance. Sorry to say but that’s not good enough... I get better customer service from McDonald’s. Very poor and disgusting effort Tigerair... First and last time I’ll be flying with them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

To start with I have given 1 star as there was no option to give NO STAR at all. Absolutely worst experience with this airlines. Staff is unimaginably RUDE. When I say Rude I mean seriously rude. To be specific the blonde on check-in counter at Melbourne Tullamarine airport and an Asian bloke near the boarding counter at the gate. To start with they do not accept a person exactly 4 min late. Like seriously?? My flight was at 5:20pm Melbourne time and I arrived at the counter 41min earlier to boarding instead of 45min earlier. This was to an absolutely horrific change in weather and a terrible traffic. No matter how much I request there was a straight NO. The blonde was more concerned of what time she was working from and till what time she have to serve me.

The bloke on the other hand was a complete **. When I told him about the weather, he started asking about how the weather was back in Adelaide and that he would love to be in that weather. When I said even though I'm just 4min late I'm happy to pay a fine to board the flight as there was 40min to start boarding. But he said the fine is to buy a new ticket for next day! UNIMAGINABLE for a professional airline to have such a terrible staff like this. This is all when they themselves are easily 20 to 40min late on a regular basis. Absolutely terrible experience.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

While on a business trip to Sydney we decided to purchase the travel insurance offered by Tigerair on their booking website. On our return journey the plane had an engineering problem which made us return to Sydney. We were then told the next flight available to get home was in 48 hrs. Tiger offered us 1 night's accommodation and a place on the flight in 48 hrs at no charge.

I was not concerned as we had taken out the Tigerair insurance to cover the short fall of staying in Sydney (transport, accommodation, meals). Upon returning home I lodged my insurance claim which was very straightforward and we had kept the expenses to a minimum so I was confident that that claim would not be a problem, however it would now appear that having a travel delay with Tigerair, the very airline that we were insured with is not covered.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

TigerAir lost one piece of my luggage on Tuesday 6th November (Mel - Syd). When I arrived at Sydney airport, no TigerAir staff could be located at around 9 pm to advise. I immediately rang the customer service support line and reported the lost luggage. Two weeks later, numerous calls and emails and absolutely nothing. Very poor show. I will never fly Tiger again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

First and last experience with Tigerair. Got on a flight to Brisbane from Sydney after arriving from NYC where I had travelled carry on the whole way. Then advised it would be a $75 charge to check my back which was slightly over the weight limit. How much??? To add insult to that the overhead baggage compartments were only half full for the flight. What a scam. Also, the plane itself was quite old and I haven't seen so many seats crammed in - had the knees of the guy behind me in my back the whole trip. Not even Airlines in American, which have much worse reputations, are actually this bad. No savings and no value in flying with this company, won't be doing it again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Tiger is a piece of crap airline!??? Broken seats (stabbing in back by something, nonreclining), shoving passengers in exit rows who are not willing and able (on a full flight), cancellations without providing passengers notice... And they wonder why they get abused at the front counter (note: it wasn’t me, but I did see at least 3 different people) - because the crap company they work for are too “cheap” (not cheap enough for what they provide) and have questionable integrity in their operations. I do feel sorry for the staff, but they don’t even pave the aisle for safety checks before take off. I suppose any pride in doing their job is quickly lost when they start working for this airline. This is the second time I’ve flown them from T4 MEL (this time too OOL). Never again!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Flying from BRN to MEL on TT515 0855 dep BRN. As the cabin crew were serving the paying passengers only moving the bar cart down the Aisle, I requested a glass of water and was told there was no water on board, but I could purchase a bottle for 4 AUD. What a disgrace in a first world country a human being cannot get a sip of water free of charge to quench their thirst. If I had not left my wallet at home I would have purchased a bottle. I understand these are budget airlines but a glass of water??? I give dogs and cats free water when they come into my garden.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I had booked Tigerair flights from BNE-MEL round trip. I was supposed to depart on a Friday evening and in the afternoon I was notified my Tigerair flight was cancelled so I had been booked on a Virgin Australia flight. I had never flown Tigerair before so I didn't realize this was a blessing in disguise. On my return Tigerair flight from MEL-BNE however, while checking in, no one weighed our bags and right before boarding we are all lined up and our bags are being weighed. I think it is quite ridiculous how little the baggage limit is already but the fact that you'd wait till boarding to weigh luggage is completely a money making strategy.

My carry on was below the weight limit but I was asked to also put down my purse which made me go above the tiny allowable weight limit-again so that they could make extra cash. I was upset but paid for excess baggage and boarded. The worst part was how disgusting and dated the plane was. One of the aisle seats had ripped cushion and gum stuck to the side. As others needed room to board, I stood in front of the seat for a few seconds only to notice gum stuck to the back of my jeans. You'd never expect that inside an aircraft! Needless to say, it was an awful experience and I'd never use this airline again. So gross!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My flight was supposed to depart at 625pm - however, as usual, they delay the flight and the flight is now departing at 725pm. I have checked in the night before, only needed to do bag drop which I was told by the call center closes 45 mins before the departure time. I got to the airport more than 1 hour before my flight, at the bag drop machine thing at 630pm. This is 55 mins to go until 725pm. I could not drop off my bag because it was closed. I queued at the desk and was told that the bag drop has closed!!! It closed at 540pm.

I am like, in your terms and condition here: ** -- which stated in verbatim: "If you have completed Web Check-in (checked-in online) and have checked baggage, you will need to visit the bag drop area before boarding. Domestic bag drop closes 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure so please allow enough time to complete this step." Then, the Tiger lady at the counter told me I could try taking the bag through the security bag and speak to the staff at the counter to board me with the bag.

The staff was extremely extremely rude, even threatened to call the AFP because when I explained the situation and she kept saying something else which didn't make sense. So I asked her if "are you deaf" and raised my voice. This was extremely frustrating and distressing and I will be taking this to ACCC/fair trading commission. So I did went through the security and only got there to be denied and was told I had to pay $85 to board on the next flight. FML - don't know which one is worse Tiger or Jetstar. After this treatment, definitely Tiger air is the worst airline.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

After our flight was cancelled 5 minutes before we were supposed to board, we choose to accept the situation as best we could, no other available flights until 30 hours later so we re-booked with Jetstar the following morning and had to stay at an airport hotel overnight. After 4 weeks of getting nowhere with refunds and reimbursements I took to social media and started complaining on Tiger's Instagram and FB pages. Amazingly I received an email on a Sunday afternoon (on the day I made numerous posts) advising me that I will be reimbursed for the hotel. Why make your customers jump through hoops and get so frustrated that publicly shaming you is the only way to get a favourable response. Just do the right thing in the first place.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My flight from Melbourne to Perth was cancelled with a few hours' notice - no problem. I chose to accept a refund and was told it would take up to 3 weeks. It is now 6 weeks later and I still have not been reimbursed for their cancellation, despite numerous phone calls and emails to their 'customer service' department. Have now made a complaint to the Airline Customer Advocate...will see what unfolds!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have just flown for Sydney to Perth with Tiger Air. I have to say that I was very apprehensive after reading other reviews. But I have to say that none of the complaints happened to me. The service was excellent when I arrived at the terminal and for a 70 years old traveling on their own this is very important. The flight was so smooth you forgot you were in a plane and the in flight staff were very courteous and friendly. The only disappointment was the engine noise as the plane was smaller than the Qantas ones I usually fly in. But I put the headphones in and it was all good. Flying back in 10 days. Will use again as the flight was half the cost.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I was supposed to board my flight at 7:40 pm from Melbourne to Sydney, after delaying for 2 hours, they cancelled our flight at 9:30 pm. They advised they will compensate me $120 worth of either accommodation or travelling. Since the event I was attending in Sydney was important and I had to be there by 10 am. Booked the earliest flight. Stayed in nearest hotel as travelling to home was 60 mins one way. After that, the Airways denied me compensation. It has one of the worst service ever. Expected more from a country like Australia.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I see a pattern, have read the other reviews, lack of service is the motto. Check in status at the airport indicator board said "open". Went to the counter, moron female behind the counter said I was late. Back & forth with the idiot who had no ability to look me in the eye. She claimed the "status" on the airport boards are not controlled by them - this is a lie. Requested to speak to a supervisor, who was another embarrassment passing for a female. She tried to be condescending, talk over top of me etc, would not let us on, said the usual Tiger extortion line of appearing to offer to reschedule if we did pay additional $85 to get on the next flight TOMORROW.

She was a top shelf **. She could not cope with me holding my ground so then tried to threaten to call the AFP, I thoroughly requested she do so, so when she saw she was not getting anywhere with me she then tried to squeak out more threats in my direction declaring "they won't side with you" - she was stupid enough to think that I would even care. She further ridiculed herself by futilely trying to get me to bite when she squeaked out "the offer to reschedule is withdrawn". This 1st class idiot could not even work out that I had already ditched them - here she was still thinking she had some sort of upper hand I did not even heed her in any way on that attempted utterance & so she tried it again, still to no utterance from me.

AFP came along, I informed them immediately that she had already declared "AFP won't side with you", they clearly had heard that one before because they quickly wiped their hands of allying in any way with Tiger airline & the morons that were attempting to man the check in counter at Tiger. Heed all reviews, never, never fly Tiger, ever, ever, EVER! Let's put them all out of jobs.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

They canceled all flights the day I was supposed to fly, less than 24 hours before flying. All the other providers increased the fare prices because of this. They are the worst company operating in Australia.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Always thought Tiger could not be as bad as people say. Even took a flight with them once, with no issues. So, stupidly thinking that one issue-free flight was proof they are okay, I used them again. Flight cancelled, got sent a text message 15 minutes before I was due to leave home. Called to rectify, on hold for half an our. English-second-language operator difficult to understand and powerless to do anything except offer a refund which I would receive in 3 weeks. Tiger have their poor reputation for a reason - don't risk it if your flight is important. Pay the extra $30 and use Jetstar or Virgin.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Flight cancelled the morning of the flight for a weekend trip from Sydney to Melbourne due to apparently ‘bad weather’ in Melbourne and then ‘only one runway working’. Lying, deceitful company that shouldn’t be allowed to operate in Australia. Not worth the cheaper flight.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have been travelling with Tiger for years, which ran well enough until the last 10 months. Tiger is constantly rescheduling flights which causes conflicts with other flights I have returning the same day from my destination. I feel that they are lying to and misleading the public. It is July 18 and they have asked ME to pay for the changes of reschedule for my late Sep 18 flight as their new schedule change clashes with another flight I have booked. Tiger does not provide what you book and pay for and they have been attempting to make more money by asking customers to pay for changes to THEIR change/reschedule a few months in advance. The rescheduling happens every time I have made a booking, I then receive a flight change notification.

They also put me on a totally different jet being Alliance Airlines instead of a Tiger jet. Alliance’s jets are extremely old and not what I booked to travel on. Be very careful what you choose, they juggle the flight times very regularly and use the pathetic excuse that it’s an engineering issue...2 months prior to your travels. They plan mechanical and engineering excuses far in advance. They think the public are stupid enough to believe this. We will of course be moving to Virgin for our very regular flights. Tiger has changed, and not for the better.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Flew to Brisbane with Jetstar in the morning and was flying back to Sydney that night with Tiger Airways. It was the first time I was to fly with Tiger and they cancelled the flight via text and email. I immediately called customer service which is based in the Philippines and waited 15 minutes for someone to answer the phone. After 20 minutes on a mobile phone I realised that I would not be provided with any assistance. I went to the airport and waited two and a half hours for Tiger Airways staff to get to work at 6.30pm.

To say Tiger Airways staff are unhelpful is a gross understatement. They could not give a rats about the customer at all, in fact their complete lack of ability to provide assistance was incredulous. Their idea of assistance was for me to sleep at the airport in the clothes I was wearing, go without food or showering and my prescription medication for the next two days. The fact that they are required to put passengers on the next available flight doesn't hold for them if there are no seats available. I was asked haughtily if I had read their terms and conditions. Now I have to wait two weeks to get my money back and they refused to give me a receipt.

Disgraceful airline, rude staff with no empathy or common sense and appalling service. Tiger Airlines business practices need to be investigated. To make matters worse all the other airlines jacked up their prices to take cancelled passengers on board. I slept at the airport and had to pay $552 to fly one way to Sydney the next morning. Just a horrible stressful experience and I will NEVER choose Tiger Airways again.

Original review: July 10, 2018

They cancelled a flight with about 1 hour's notice. They said due to poor weather in Sydney. The airport was fully functioning and we had to pay business class with another airline to get away. THEN THEY REFUSED REFUND DUE TO A CLAUSE ABOUT WEATHER but every other airline was operating. These guys are CRIMINALS!!! NO FLIGHT AND NO REFUND! A credit offered but never again!

Original review: June 23, 2018

I arrived at the check-in desk 50 mins prior to my flight Adelaide to Melbourne, 23rd June 2018 for the 9.45am flight TT448. No Tiger Air staff were at either the check-in area or service desk and I was unable to check-in via the electronic stands. I had to go through security and to the departure gate before I could find a Tiger Air staff who informed me that check-in closes 45 mins prior to departure, I would have accepted this response if I had missed the cut-off time but I hadn’t. They would not let me check-in, by now it was 9.15am. Tiger Air had closed check-in prior to the 45min cut-off. Yet again Tiger Air disappoints.

Original review: June 12, 2018

There are two matters happened on this morning. I catch up 7:00 am flight. I did not get any information to check in, but I did it at 5:40 this morning, firstly, the web showed me “after 15 mins”, then at 6:00, I did it again, it closed. Well, we I arrived the airport at 6:30, the staff did nothing for me, and told me “go line up and wait” with bad attitude!!! I took the flights for many many times, I have never seen this before. Why! Half hour before departure, why nothing to do? The website problem was not my fault. And the reception such like that! Is there any reasonable interpretation for my bad experience on TIGER?

Original review: June 11, 2018

I had a checked in and I went to give my bag. Not only they didn't help me with that but also asked me to lined up in a queue for another check in. I mentioned my checked in to them but they were ignorant and at the end, they charge me 85$ for transfer ticket for later on that day. I missed my training workshop in Adelaide. I will not give score them with any star. Thank you.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Third last flight out of Melbourne to Sydney. First told delayed due to ‘engineering problem’. Then told cancelled. Couldn’t get onto ANY other flight that night. Had to book another airline the next day. Just checked to see how Tiger Airways flight the next morning was doing and found out it was delayed by 4 hours anyway, so good thing I didn’t book them again. One night’s accommodation from the previous night not reimbursed. Tiger Airways has a reliability level equivalent to a dead car battery. Avoid like the plague. Lesson learnt.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I showed my online check-in in Sydney but when I boarded the plane from Sydney 9.10 gate 59 to Perth, I was asked by Emily as my internet dropped, I was greeted with hostility and told to stay in one corner and not move in front of passengers. I paid over 400 dollars for the flight. I want a full investigation into way. It is not like I got on the plane from runway. I showed my internet pass to a lady 2 mins previously. I will be going further. Absolute disgusting behaviour.

Tiger Airways Company Information