2. Travel
Spirit Air

Spirit Air Reviews

3.5/5 (1482 ratings)

About Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

Spirit Air Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: May 5, 2021

I am scared of flying. I always have been, but every flight that I’ve taken was Spirit. The stewardess have been amazing. My last flight from Orlando to Latrobe yesterday morning.... The stewardess Shelly went out of her way to check on me multiple times and even sat next to me a few times and talked to me to reassure me everything was going to be alright. I can’t thank her and the rest of the crew enough for their kindness and patience with me with flying. Every flight I have been on with Spirit the stewardess have always checked on me and asked how I was doing during the flight. The kind words and reassurance is greatly appreciated!

Original review: April 1, 2021

Well I had the time of my life. I was so scared to go up in the air. The airline made me feel so safe and made me feel so happy that I forgot I was even on a plane ✈️ going up and then I felt the pull up and was about to coriander then I slept.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I believe this is a great airline! I’ve always have a great experience, whether it be a domestic or international flight. The staff is always friendly and helpful! The only thing I do have to say negatively is, that they seem to change flight times, sometimes frequently, after booking your flight online. I also did notice that the baggage fees went up from last time I flew with them, but it was still a great experience, especially since the flights were actually shorter than expected... which is always nice!

Original review: March 22, 2021

No frills, reliable and comfortable trips at an affordable price. Usually on time and give regular updates by email and text. The app also gets confirmation even without logging in. These days plenty of room for personal and carry on bags as middle seat is left vacant.

Original review: March 18, 2021

The staff were courteous and professional. The pilot was very funny and made the trip lively. This was my first flying since the pandemic so I was nervous. The downside was that it was a full flight but everyone had their mask on.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

#Rant against Spirit Airlines - A mechanical failure is beyond an airline's control but customer service and compassion is not. I recently decided to try #SpiritAirlines despite negative reviews. The space for seating is EXTREMELY tight. My flight back to Houston from Kansas City was canceled due "to a bird flying into the engine". I found out about this at the ticket booth at 5:00 am. I was supposed to have boarded at 5:30 am. The website and all the reader boards at the airport still read on time for several hours after. The soonest #Spirit said they could get me to Houston was 3 pm the next day or I could go to Dallas at 6 pm that night. They would not give me any food vouchers for the 12-hour wait. I chose to go to Dallas and had to purchase a $150 rental car to get to Houston.

After all was said and done I ended up spending, ironically, the same amount of money that a ticket with #Southwest would have cost. I wanted to give Spirit a chance to keep me as a customer so I emailed their "customer service department". The response read like a template email where the person filled in a few words. They didn't even get the details of my complaint right. I corrected their errors and still there was no offer to help make my experience better. When this happened to me with Southwest they got me on a flight within 3 hours, 100 hundred miles on my account, and a meal voucher. Do not be persuaded by Spirit's low prices. You will end up spending more money than the other ticket prices but deal with way more headache!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

First I traveled from Denver International Airport. It was Saturday October 24th. I don't travel enough to know if it was busy in the airport or not but there were a lot of people. My husband dropped me off at the Spirit drop off area which was well marked and easy to see. I walked in the door, easily saw the remote check in machines located right before the checked bag line. Took me seconds to print my boarding pass. Walked up to the checked bag line (no line) handed over my bag. Was asked a series of security questions that took about a minute or two and off I went to find my terminal which the attendant had already given me directions to. The tram was FULL but that isn't Spirit Airlines' issue.

Got there in plenty of time and took off early due to all the passengers were on board. I bought off the menu (two beers $12) that really isn't terrible since it was the same price in the airport lounge as well. And I'm a nervous flyer so the beers calm me down. Plus I had googled Spirit after my sister bought the ticket and saw all the negative posts. My plane was CLEAN, newer and fine on leg room. I'm 5'9" with long legs. The flight was uneventful. My ticket was for a window seat. But an older lady had taken it and since it was just her and I, I didn't ask her to move. I spied an open window seat a couple of rows back and as soon as the seat belt light turned off I asked if I could move and my request was easily granted.

We landed in Minneapolis. We had to wait 45 minutes because our gate was occupied by another plane (AGAIN not Spirit's issue). Super fast getting our luggage to the baggage claim. And I can't think of one complaint against Spirit Airlines at all. I hope the return trip goes as well. I tried to upload a pic of my receipt and ticket but it failed but it was Flight number NK382 Depart 4:07 from Denver. I'm sure the savvy computer person can look up the flight.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

Purchased round trip airline tickets for 4 family members. Purchased (1) one-way ticket for my son who graduated Marine boot camp for his 10 day leave. This airlines does NOT honor THE military!!! I had no problem in paying for our luggage but my son who is a U.S. Marine should not have to pay FOR LUGGAGE period!!! My family... and I repeat... my family will never ever use this airlines again!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

Our flight out of ft Lauderdale was delayed 10 hours before the flight take off. This did not work for us. We needed "on time" or earlier and they didn't have an earlier flight. The girl Jesly was kind, courteous and promptly refunded our money. Hopefully, it will show up as credit on my card.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

I understand that Spirit has extra charges. They clearly state that. My problem is the scamming and rude customer service. My daughter's boyfriend is in college in Georgia. He paid for her ticket so she can visit him for his birthday. We arrived at the check in over an hour before the flight was supposed to leave. We went to the kiosk to check in and it wouldn't allow her to. We went to an agent and she said the gate closed at 6:55. It was only 6:45 and the plane was scheduled to depart at 7:45. Obviously, we thought we could explain this to her but heck no! She was so rude and disgusting. She said she didn't know what to tell us. I asked to speak to a supervisor and her coworker said, "You can but he is going to tell you the same thing." Meanwhile, the line of people getting turned away is growing. I overheard an agent say they overbooked the plane.

When the so called supervisor came out, he held his hands up and said that no matter what we have to say, none of us are getting on the plane. He then told us we could pay $273 to fly to Vegas and catch a connection to Atlanta. Even if we could pay, there is NO way I would have my 18-year-old hopping planes all night. I asked another agent for the supervisor's name and she told me she wasn't going to sit there all night giving people's names out. I said, "Am I in The Twilight Zone or on Candid Camera?" She gave me a blank stare. So, after reading these posts, I realize that calling corporate will do no good. My daughter was upset the whole way home and her boyfriend wasted his hard earned money. Seriously, there needs to be a class action lawsuit. We can all talk about it but we need to do it so we can put these ** under.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2015

Avoid using Spirit Air when you book through Expedia. Even with insurance the airline refuses to give your money back. They offer you a cheap credit that expires within 60 days and if you don't book a flight during that time you lose all your money. Our flight was scheduled over 6 months out and had to be canceled due to my fiancee's pregnancy. They refused to extend the credit for over the 60 day period and kept over $500 of our hard earned money. I only fly southwest, american airlines and united airlines now to avoid these issues; great service and limited fees.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

Was traveling to Myrtle Beach on Oct. 8th from Chicago O'Hara. Arrived at airport about 5:00 a.m. Flight was scheduled to leave at 7:15 a.m. Have never seen such a mess in my life! We stood in line to check in, PAID for our luggage and instead of them putting it on the conveyor belt... we had to carry it and stand in another line! Long story short, we almost missed our plane. Worst airline to fly. Money grabbing. Will make sure I let anyone I know how horrible our experience was.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

Purchase tickets on Orbitz for a trip using Spirit Airlines. Nothing was said about being charged for a small roller bag. Got to the gate and was told $40 to pay for roller bag if you went to the ticket counter; otherwise it was $100 at the gate. Went downstairs to the ticket counter and was told $50. When I said their agent upstairs said $40, they said they didn't know what was said upstairs but it was $50 downstairs. Later, when I was back at the gate, the same girl that worked downstairs and told me $50 was then standing right beside the gate man when he announced again that it was $40 at the ticket counter. She did nothing to correct him. Seems sketchy to me - are the agents at the ticket counter pocketing the extra $10 they charge and the customer has no recourse?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

My experience with the Spirit Airlines was awesome. Friendly people, safe uneventful flight, and great price!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

Wish it was possible to give Spirit Airlines a big fat ZERO! Terrible! Don't be fooled by this airline - they are NOT cheaper in the long run! It was frustrating enough to find out that Spirit Airlines will charge you to CARRY ON your bag, and also charge you if you want to sit next to your companion. As my husband says, "You basically have to travel naked if you don't want to have additional charges on Spirit."

My daughter and her friend were emailed about 3 hours before their scheduled departure that their flight to Philadelphia would be an hour and 10 minutes late. They show up at the airport approximately 2 hours ahead of the new scheduled time, and arrive at the gate twenty minutes before the ORIGINAL flight time only to be told that the plane wasn't late after all and in fact was early, so they missed it! They had to either wait until the next day, or get a flight to Baltimore MD instead. They couldn't wait so of course they took the flight to Baltimore - which meant a 6 hour round trip flight for my husband to pick them up! And since they had arrived in plenty of time their luggage actually went on their original flight to PHL, so that meant they had to drive to a different airport to pick up their luggage! NEVER EVER FLY ON SPIRIT!!! SPREAD THE WORD - THIS COMPANY IS BAD BUSINESS!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

I booked my flight from Chicago to Los Angeles with a layover in Las Vegas... First of all, the ticket agents at the counter were unprofessional joking around and rude to customers asking for information. Secondly, our flight was delayed one hour and while at the gate, our gate changed 4 times. But the worst part was the Spirit agents in Las Vegas. As I walked to agent to provide my boarding pass, the agent told me I had to pay for my carry-on which I had no clue of because I was never charged in Chicago. Rudely telling me it was not her problem - those are the policies go to the ticket counter.

Once at counter, I was asked to pay 100$ which was unheard of. As I asked to speak with a supervisor, another angry Spirit passenger had the similar problem and he had to pay 80$. Not to mention the unprofessional flight crew (not the pilots). Loudly joking about their Facebook and weekend plans. Overall I was disappointed and totally ruined my trip! First and last time I will ever fly Spirit Airlines! I would like my money back for my carry-on.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2015

Boarded 1 hr. late. Spent 1 hr. 35 mins. on tarmac. The pilot had to return because he was at max hours. Spirit said next flight 2 days away. Had to book last minute flight with American. Home at 3 times the cost. I would say unless you are desperate don't take Spirit. This is the reason they are so cheap!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2015

Between me and my family we take about 70 flights with Spirit in a year for different destinations. Overall I am very happy with Spirit... but there is one issue that bothers me a lot. Taking your pet with you in the plane, I can't understand how can you justify charging $100 dollar (110) for a small pet weighing 16lb which is in the bag on the floor underneath the seat, in the mean time as an adult I have a seat and I pay $58.00 dollar for the same flight. Can anybody please tell me how can you justify this... or another word, how can you get away with this?

Unfortunately taking your pet is not a luxury for some people, it's a necessity. And top of that you cannot book the ticket yourself online because there is no option for purchasing it, so you have no choice but to call and after going through that annoying recording (which again there is no option for your pet) you finally talk to a live agent and guess what, because you using the live person you have to pay another $10.00 for service fee on top of 100.00 so at the end it costs you $110.00 for same flight I paid $58.00 for myself. Can anybody explain this please... I understand all the airlines charges fee for pets but please give me one example of another airline charging more than the passenger. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2015

I have always flown Spirit Airlines out of Atlantic City to Florida (Tampa & Orlando) due to having family members that reside in the area. Well I flew from AC to Tampa on 10/14/2015 and was supposed to return to AC on 10/19/2015. My father has stage 4 lung cancer and took a major turn for the worse and got hospitalized on 10/16/2016. My mother called me and informed me to come home ASAP due to my father being deathly ill. I called Spirit and advised them that I needed to switch my flight from Monday 10/19/15 to Saturday 10/17/2015. They pretty much told me, "Who cares about your family emergency?" and that I would be charged 35 dollars to cancel my flight for Monday and then we need to pay $183.00 to purchase a ticket for Saturday.

I asked for a supervisor and she told me that she can't access the system to switch my ticket and that I would lose out on my first ticket without a refund and need to purchase a new ticket. I am highly disappointed with Spirit and I am going to contact NBC 10 News out of Philadelphia to show them how much Spirit does not care and pretty much laughed at me when I needed to move my flight up. It's totally absurd and bad business.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2015

Brought carry-on one-way with no problem, on return flight stopped at gate with same bag and told cost us $100. Couldn't get on the plane till we paid it. Customer complaint department a joke. Have disputed charges with credit card and filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau. Would love to be part of a class action suit.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2015

I have to say that this is the worst airline experience I have ever had in my entire life. And the staff of Spirit Airlines at NY LaGuardia airport are the absolute worst and incompetent. The two lady supervisors that this airline staff has at LGA are beyond worse and should have been fired long time ago. So, I checked in to my flight 24 hours prior and I was at the airport exactly 50 mins before departure. I forgot to print my boarding pass and so went to the counter to get a boarding pass but the staff refused to issue me one because it is the airline policy to have one 45 mins before the departure of the flight otherwise they will not be able to get on the flight. I am a frequent flyer and travel for work every week and I have been doing this for the past 6 years. I have had days where I got on a flight 5 mins before. SO, I was not allowed to board the flight and now have to wait for 2 days to go see my 3-week old son.

Right after this horrible experience I contacted customer service over the phone to either get my money back or to get on the next flight but they couldn't help me because she says that I was a no show for the flight. How in the HELL is this considered a no show when I was at the airport 50 mins prior? Based on this experience I promise that Spirit Airlines will never see a penny from me again. And I am going to spread this word to my friends and family on how bad Spirit Airlines is. This company should really be ashamed of how they treat their customers.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

Booked an online trip to NC from NY. Didn't even check who the Airline was. I WILL NEVER FLY SPIRIT AGAIN. We each had one small bag that we planned to carry on. $100 each to carry on! Not done. For some reason, my companion and I were not seated together. $18 each to move together and we were not together. I was window, she was across aisle. Trip home we decided to check our bags to avoid another $100. $50 per bag to check-in! So add $336 to the great price and we could have flown a real airline. DON'T ever book with these thieves.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

We were flying out of Atlanta to come home. First were told to go to Gate D4. Got to D4 and the board showed the plane going to Baltimore. The Big board showed the gate was switch to D2. No big deal. Next we were sent to D3. From there the board showed that our plane left and was not on the board. A young supervisor had no answers. We did find out that a Spirit plane was on the tarmac waiting for a gate. They sat for 2 hrs waiting for a gate to unload. This was our plane which we went out on gate D4.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

If you have nowhere to be at a certain time or are retired, this is the airline for you. CAUTION, this airline WILL leave you behind. They have a reputation of closing the gates early and leaving. Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way. I had arrived to the airport 2.5 hours early and checked in. My flight was due to take off at 6:25 pm. I checked the gate at around 5:45 pm and saw that they weren't boarding yet so I went to get a magazine and a few snacks. By the time I got back at 6:03 pm, the ladies at the desk said that "the flight was gone." I then told the lady that I saw the airplane still there and they said it wasn't the plane and it was gone.

Once I realized that there was a huge line of passengers that were left behind, I knew this wasn't a joke. Not to mention, that they had changed the gate two times already and once 5 minutes before 6:00 pm. I was shocked, panicked, and angry. The next day I had to get to work at 8 am. The earliest flight they could put me on was the next day at 5:15 am. I was told they couldn't give me a boarding pass until the next morning because the flight was not guaranteed, since it was a Fully booked flight. I began to look for any other carrier that could get me home right now. After hours of walking the Chicago O'hare Airport (which is huge), I had no luck, I was forced to get a hotel room for $298 a night.

The next morning I arrived at 4:00 am to get my official boarding pass for the 5:15 am flight and happened to get the last two seats on the airplane. This time knowing that they close the gates early, I Sat next to the Spirit employee. While sitting there I heard her say to her coworker "this flight is overbooked by 8 passengers, so hopefully some people don't wake up." UNREAL... COULD THIS BE POSSIBLE? This airline overbooks and then purposely closes its gates early. If you are trying to get a cheap flight, try Jetblue. They are wonderful! This was the first and last time I will ever fly Spirit!!! By the time you pay your checked bags and hidden fees, you can fly first class on any other carrier!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

I cancelled a flight 48 hrs after booking due to learning of my mother's terminal illness. Spirit charged me $150 to do so. Then gave me only 60 days to use remaining credit, which I could not use because I could not nor should not have had to book another fight while my mother was in hospice with stage 4 metastatic lung cancer. Now, Spirit refuses to refund my money or extend the time to use my credit, they expect me to pay $553 for NOTHING!! I would crawl on my hands and knees over burning coals and glass to get to my destination before I would ever use Spirit Airlines again. The person from Jackson Hole, interested in a class action lawsuit, please contact me **.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

My luggage was lost. The next day someone called and said they are on their way to drop off my bag at my house. They did so at 9 PM. Today I opened the bag and found that my things were not how I packed them and all of my cigars were gone.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

Spirit Airlines is a horrible airline that nickle and dimes you to death. But even worse than their horrible airline is their credit card that sucked people in based on fraudulent and misleading advertising ploys. It is all a ploy, you don't get any flights free.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

Flying from Las Vegas to Philadelphia, 10:45 p.m. flight cancelled due to a bird flying into the engine. Representative stated I would first have to wait until tomorrow, same time tomorrow night. Arriving in Philadelphia 6:30 a.m. Wednesday morning, asked to speak to a supervisor. Now my husband & I are going to Minneapolis, then Chicago, then to Baltimore. How am I to get from Baltimore to Philly? Who pays for this? Also, if I had stayed overnight in the airport, were they going to pay for a hotel? Spirit is the worst. Cheap flight but they nickel and dime you for everything. Not a good experience. Mr. President of Spirit Air, you should reimburse everyone flying from Las Vegas to Philadelphia, 10:45 flight on Oct. 12, 2015. Give their money back.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

I was at the airport 2 hours before my scheduled departure time. The monitor said my flight was delayed by 1 hour. I ate at a restaurant and let my spouse know of the delay. Went to the gate more than an hour before the time the monitor said, and 20 min before the original scheduled time only to be told it left 15 min earlier-making it 38 min before the time it was scheduled to leave. The only option I was given was to take their next flight which wasn't until 9am the next day. I was scheduled to be at my job at 7am and was afraid I would lose my job if I didn't get home in time. I had to get another flight on another airline to keep my job and it cost me $400.

I wrote a letter to Spirit letting them know how upset I was and the only solution I was left with, asking them to reimburse the money I spent on another flight. I also don't understand how they can run an airline like that. What about people with connecting flights, or are just running a few minutes late, but get there in time to make it but then find out they decided to leave early? I really think it's not right. Spirit responded that they were sorry for my "inconvenience" but there was nothing that they would do for me. I will never fly Spirit again and think something should be done to discourage this kind of decision making.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

Our daughter was left stranded at Atlanta airport this morning - without her luggage, which had been loaded onto the plane, but she was not allowed to board. Why? Not a clue. "Tomorrow..." she was told, "or maybe a refund." She's losing a full day of work, among other issues. Spirit's website states this: "There is no information available for this flight..." I have heard many bad things about Spirit Airlines, but today I also know why. They stink!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2015

Firstly I'd like to start off by saying this airline isn't cheaper by the time you factor in the charge you pay for a carry-on item, checked luggage, checking in at the airport (if you don't have the convenience of a printer at your disposal the night before). Basically anything they can possibly charge you for which other airlines won't, be assured Spirit will find a way. However this isn't my main issue with Spirit. My main issue are the unauthorised transactions I have found on my credit card. Firstly, 27 AUD charged for a Spirit membership. I actively remember clicking that I didn't want to be a part of it, I live in Australia. Secondly, I received an unknown 100 dollar charge from Spirit 2 months after I had booked my flights. I rang up my bank and they said they couldn't stop this pending transaction without Spirit’s authorisation as I was familiar with the company. So here's where it gets more interesting - YOU CANNOT CONTACT THEM.

I've sent 3 complaints forms over the past 2 weeks, not one reply. I tried calling, could not get through to a human being however many different options I tried going through. That cost me 30 dollars in international calls as they don't have a toll free number. I'm now 157 dollars down and I have no choice but to pay it as they have stolen my money and won't reply or answer to any form of contact. Absolutely avoid these cowboys.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2015

I had to register to write a review. CHANGE MY DATE AND TIME WITHOUT NOTICING ME. Are you ** kidding me??? The staff in the airport was so rude, did not support at all and charge ridiculous price until you contact the hotline, they will be scared and stop. DON'T EVER BOOK THE TICKET IN THIS AIRLINE!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2015

I wish I would have checked the reviews before booking with this Airline. DO NOT book a flight with SPIRIT AIRLINES. I booked a round trip flight to Houston for myself and my 2 kids for the Thanksgiving 2015. I almost booked another flight for May 2016 when I noticed a seat icon and next to it read "tight" 28 inches. I began to further explore the company. I saw many reviews, NEGATIVE reviews, informing others of extra cost for baggage and for seat selection, and about the delays and last minute gate changes. I then called the customer service line, spoke with someone named Van. I was told that I would have to extra for my bags. I was told I would have to pay $35 per bag if I had paid for the carry on while booking the flight or $45 per bag if I pay online when I do an online 24 hour check- in, or $55 if I check the bags at the airport ticket counter when I check in, or $100 if I wait to check my bag at the gate.

I never heard of a passenger paying a cost for a carry on. Usually with OTHER airline, if the bag is too large or if there is no overhead room left, the airline doesn't charge the customer extra for the bag. I then asked about the seat issue and was told that it was possible that me and my 7 and 9 year old sons be seated with me. I already paid 963, the cost of the ticket and now they expect me to pay extra for seating and $45 per small carry on. Several times, the guy just went silent on the phone and didn't say anything for 15-30 secs as I kept saying, "Hello, hello is anyone there?" Finally he answered. I then asked, "If you were still on the line, why would you not answer me? Did you wish that I would just hang up?"

I'm sorry I chose this airline, I usually fly American or United. At this time, I really don't want to fly with Spirit Airlines. I will end up paying $165 each way for luggage for me and my kids. I will probably end up shipping our clothes via UPS before our flight.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

I know most of you folks have had bad experiences with Spirit Airline, but we have flown many flights with them in the past year and have had all good flights. The last time I flew out of Vegas, a pilot call in sick and we had to wait 3 hrs but I'd rather have a rested up pilot & arrive safe, so I had no problem waiting. There is a saying "Be Flexible or Be Miserable." I choose to be flexible!!! One of the plus is that most of the flights are nonstop, which we love. Yes the seats are a bit tight but then we are not paying the price of the wide, reclining seats, with all the bells and whistles that you get on other airlines. The price of these tickets lets us enjoy going to see our 80 yr old Moms, our brothers & sisters, to family weddings and funerals, visit friends and not feel like we have spent a fortune. We love this airline! We hope we can continue to enjoy these inexpensive rate.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2015

Service level of these guys is non-existent! I was flying to an important training seminar. At least tried to. I arrived on time. The security line was horribly slow, but still could have caught the plane but Spirit decided to move the departure by 7 minutes. They notified me by email while I was waiting in the security line! Because of this stunt at least 7 other passengers missed the flight and they wanted to re-book me for a flight 3 days later! They did not give a refund claiming that it was the TSA's fault. My only option was to book a flight with another airline so that I could still make it to the seminar on time.

On top of that, my checked-in baggage got on the flight and they could not send it to my destination city because it was out of the country. So, I lost access to my clothes and had to go out and buy some so that I can be presentable. All in all, their little trick cost me over $800. So, I'm going to dispute the charges on my credit card & post this review at any forum I can find. I don't predict a good future for this outfit unless they get their act together and start providing real customer service.

Spirit Air Company Information