2. Travel
Spirit Air

Spirit Air Reviews

3.5/5 (1483 ratings)

About Spirit Air Reviews

Spirit Airlines is dedicated to bringing the lowest total price to every place we fly – on average much lower than other airlines. We offer our customers our Bare Fare®

Spirit Air Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spirit Air?

Original review: March 6, 2019

Only pay for what you need. You don't have to pay for bags, food, bigger seats or drinks unless you choose too. You can also purchase tickets for 20% cheaper at the airport to save more money. Plenty of flights for under 100.00.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Paid for a ticket with my Belgian Malinois service dog. The configuration of the plane showed plenty of room for him. Called disability customer support to confirm this and the woman who wanted me off the phone as soon as possible said it had 20" from the end of the seat to the next seat in front of me. Ok that seems reasonable. Confirmed this 3 times and asked if it's advisable for me to purchase a first class seat. She said, "No. This seat will have the same room as an emergency exit row."

When we boarded the plane nothing could be further from the truth. My dog had about 8 inches between the end of my seat and had to worm his way under the seat. He's highly trained and did very well but this should've never happened. Called customer support. They outsource to the Philippines and Guatemala. Nothing here in the states. These people sit in call centers and have no real connection to this airline. They read from scripts and can't make any executive decisions. There's a massive disconnect on this airline. Customer service never did resolve my flight back and sent me automated messages via Facebook.

Sat on hold next day waiting for a live human and they were clueless about my issue and had no desire to resolve it. Same circles of reading from scripts and telling me I have the "best" care. What? As happy and la la as their marketing is - don't believe it. The top genuinely could give a rat's ** about your experience. The flight back was even worse. Took me 2 days to recover from this disaster. My dog was exhausted from this near 5 hour flight.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I purchased their flight insurance because my dad was sick and my wife and I might have to change our flights. “BIG MISTAKE.” You have to get information that is beyond what you are able to get from some else’s doctor. Huge ripoff. Will never fly with them again. “BIG JOKE.”

Original review: March 3, 2019

Let me also begin this review by stating that I am fully responsible for missing my initial flight on a round trip ticket that I purchased through Spirit Airlines. This ticket was set for Feb 28 departure date and a return date of March 4th from Dallas to Jacksonville. Because I missed the initial flight I purchased a one way ticket to Jacksonville with the assumption that my return flight ticket back to Dallas was good. I just found out tonight (March 2) that Spirit voided my return flight because I missed my initial flight.

After calling the manager for verification I was told that in the future, I was to call Spirit within one hour before departure time in order to request that my return flight ticket be "saved" from being voided. I was then told that even if I was to submit such a request, that my ticket may STILL be voided. Needless to say that this poor quality of service by this company as a whole is appalling that they can void tickets without paying a refund for the ticket that hasn't even been used yet. Will definitely not use this airline and will definitely advise others not to use this.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Simply booked a round trip flight from Dallas To LA for two, I noticed somehow I was not seated on my returning flight so I called customer service to ensure that I would have a seat in which the representative of Spirit Aced my request as well as completely changing the flight date from March 29- April 1 to March 1 - April 1. My partner and I did not request to change the dates nor did we change it on our end. We missed out on our trip due to the fact that our reservation was cancelled and we cannot be refunded for a flight that we did not take. Definitely won't be booking with Spirit again because this is actually the second time we have been let down by this carrier.

Original review: March 2, 2019

As a U.S. Military Veteran, I am ultimately disgusted by the way Spirit handle my situation and I am willing to go to the press and my congressman. First, I will start by taking fault on being late to the first flight (Conf # **) on February 20, 2019. I had to purchase another ticket to get to Bogota, Colombia for the next day 2/21/19 (Conf # **). I got there on 2/21/19 at 2:05 PM. The real issue begins on my return, I get to the airport on 2/25/19 (Conf # **) to leave Bogota at 3:15 PM and arrive at Fort Lauderdale at 7:10 PM, so I can make the connecting flight to BWI leaving at 8:35 PM. I get to the airport in Bogota, Colombia on 2/25/19 at 12:15 PM to a ticket agent stating that the flight I paid for was not in the system. I went to the customer service rep in the back and she stated the same thing. So I had to purchase another ticket for $417.47 ( Conf # **)to get on the same flight that I already purchased.

I get on the flight and the plane landed at 7:45 PM at Fort Lauderdale, thus making me miss my connecting flight that I had just paid an additional 400.00 to make. I went to the ticket agent very frustrated about the whole ordeal to be hit with another flight leaving on 2/26/19 at 8:35 PM. I decided to go with a standby ticket to get back to BWI as soon as possible. I asked to be put up in a hotel, since this was not my fault. I was told that Spirit Airlines does not honor that request regardless of the situation. So I had to sleep in the airport until 6 AM on 2/26/19.

I made the flight as a standby back to BWI on Tuesday 2/2619 at 10:00 AM. I believe I am entitled to a refund whether it is the original ticket or the additional ticket that was purchased and still fail to get me home on time thus making me miss work on 2/26/19. This was absolutely horrible and I cannot believe that I bought 2 tickets going and returning for one person. The customer service rep stated that there is nothing that they can do about the whole ordeal.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Little did I know Spirit will ruin my anniversary trip… Avoid this at any cost… Stranded at the airport for 60 Hours due to this… For $50-100, don’t ruin your trip… I have traveled 3-4 times with Spirit and it was going very well for me. All previous flights were on time and I was reaching the destination on time. But little did I know this horrible experience is stored for me.

My LAS-EWR flight NK 760 was on 10:45 PM PST (20-Feb-19). We checked in and did security check-in well before time and sit at Gate 25. Suddenly there was so much noise and everybody was rushing. What happened? Got to know few Spirit flight got canceled. They were giving different reasons to diff passengers. I was scared and praying to god, don’t cancel our flight. Did he listen to my prayer? Because Spirit said, due to weather, they are delaying the flight by 12 hours? It was hardly any snow in Vegas, come on, we belong to the east coast, this was nothing. And for a 1/4th inch of snow, the flight should be equipped and prepared but no. Still, better than cancellation.

Our checked in bag was on carousel #10. We collected our bag and found a spot for 2-3 hours’ sleep. I woke up 3 in the night (who gets sound sleep on the airport), was checking social media and checked my email. Bang, there was cancellation notification of my flight. We ran to the Spirit counter and asked why they did not send a message. Who checks email? They were least bothered about the cancellation and in plain tone “sir whether take a refund or next available seat is on 2 days later flight”. Next day rebooking was all full. I made a scene, shouted on them. We said we both will miss our work. After 30-40 Minutes, Lady names ‘Love’ came to us and handover the boarding pass for the next day (21-Feb) same flight. The sense of relief, even we were late, we got the seats in the next available flight. We asked whether you guys will provide hotel accommodation or Meal Voucher? They said “No, it's not their policy to provide these”

We somehow managed the next 20 hours. In these 20 hours, we got to know, Southwest canceled their 90% flight operating from Vegas and Spirit canceled 80% flight. And the reason was not clear to anyone. No news on social media, nothing. Again same process, check-in, security and we were at gate-25 at 8 PM PST. This time we saw Spirit flight we're flying. Glad they were operating. Our boarding had started, we were in the queue, they scanned boarding pass and when we were about to enter the plane, their employee came running to us, said “we need to de-board the flight. The window has been frozen and the crew will clean that”.

Half of the passengers had already settled in the plane. No problem, we came out in the sitting area and there was so much speculation of what’s going on. But no, God had some other plan. I saw pilots were coming out of the plane a few moments later and he said, they don’t have deicer and plane will not fly. And at their counter, Spirit assistants saying, it’s just 30-40 minutes delay. After 30 minutes, they canceled it. So IT WAS 2 FLIGHT IN A ROW. We ran to their main counter. It was all chaos. 2 hours in the line. This time they were giving one voucher for a discount on Hotel booking (mind it, it was not Hotel accommodation) and guess what, it was not even working. For some, it worked but it was over $100 for one night. Am I joke to you Spirit?

After reaching the counter, their reply was the same, either take a refund or take the next flight which is 3 days later. We were missing our work, this time we asked for the refund. The return trip was $508 but they refunded only $160. Who knows the calculation? I did not want to fight, so I took refund the left the counter. Now how to reach NJ. Many like us exploring options on how to reach their destination. Finally, we booked a flight in American airlines. Bus to Los Angeles, then flight to Phoenix, Phoenix to Chicago and then Chicago to Newark. Simple 4.5 Journey changed into 18 Hours journey. All bus was booked to LA, we again spent next (2 AM PST- 4 PM PST) 14 hours on the airport and took evening bus to LA.

When I was in UBER ride for the bus station, their driver told me that his brother works for Spirit and all the groundsman and mechanics were on strike. And they were giving BS reason to passengers. Then I realized, all Spirit flight operating from Vegas was canceled and others who had just layover in Vegas was flying. SOB Spirit lied to us.

I won’t say other airlines are always good and they don’t face cancellation issue. I would have been okay if after 24 Hrs, got the chance to fly but they kept lying about their issues (Strike). Simple deicer issues and plane is not equipped? 1/4th-inch snow and you’ll not fly. Then no flight should be operated from Chicago or East coast in winter. They did not have the courtesy to talk with passengers. They were blunt “either take a refund or take flight 4-5 days later.

The supervisor there was more concerned about the employees not being able to talk to the customers as they finishing their shift. But no thoughts for us who were stuck there for more than 24 hours. Who wants to stay at the airport? I was stuck there. This fiasco made this trip the most horrible one of our life. We were emotionally and physically distressed, all thanks to Spirit. It was a mental trauma going through all these in such cold weather. I don’t think we will ever travel via Spirit.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Time to share my Spirit horror story: My wife and I were scheduled to take flight 612 at 1:15 AM from Las Vegas to Minneapolis on Monday, February 25th, 2019. Spirit cancelled their flight on us due to what we later learned was "staffing problems". We arrived at the airport at 11:15 PM, but there was a long line due to the cancellation. As we waited in the Agent Assist line, we started overhearing the agents telling the other cancelled travelers that they would need to be held up in a hotel and take another flight Tuesday morning at 1:15 AM, 24 hours from then.

My wife and I run a set of in-home daycares with 20+ kids and we also have two young children (1 and 4) who were being babysat by their grandma who also needed to work that morning. If we stayed in a hotel that night, we would have needed to close the daycares, forcing all the parents of our kids to stay home and us losing out the income for that day ($1000 worth), not to mention forcing my mother to miss out on her work and babysit the kids another day. Staying in a hotel was NOT an option for us.

As the time dwindled down and the Spirit line moving at a snail's pace, I knew I had to do something, so I quickly checked any other flights leaving soon to Minneapolis and found a 12:35 AM Delta flight. It was 11:45 PM, so I ran over to the Delta kiosk and they said I had 4 minutes to book this flight. It cost us $1,516.00 to book a ONE-WAY flight for the both of us, but having no other option we had to book the tickets. We arrived at the gate with minutes left available to board and sat in separate seats. After talking to some other passengers, we learned that they had also come from the cancelled Spirit flight, but the Spirit's agents had paid for their entire Delta airfare.

Later that day, I called Spirit's customer service line and spoke with two different reps who offered to refund the original cost of the return flight ($315) and a $50 per person voucher for future Spirit flights, considerably less than the $1,516 I paid for Delta. I tried to explain to them that Spirit bought and paid for the other traveler's tickets so why do I need to get stuck with Delta's bill over their cancellation, but the reps stuck to their script.

I then drove 45 minutes to the airport to speak to someone face to face. The Spirit agents at the MSP airport said that it was "my decision" to purchase the Delta tickets and that I should have waited for Agent Assist. Waiting in line was NOT an option, we bought the Delta tickets with 4 MINUTES left available to do so. If we would have waited in line, we would have missed the flight. Again, the Spirit agents eventually stuck to their script and refused to refund me the cost of the Delta tickets, all due to their incompetent crew not showing up causing the cancellation of their flight.

If we had stayed in a hotel that morning and a parent of our daycare had no other choice to pay 7 TIMES what daycare would have cost them to keep them at our daycare, we would have reimbursed them for their trouble because that is the RIGHT THING TO DO, regardless of what our policies state, regardless of the law or regulations, if you cancel a flight then you owe it to the travelers, YOUR CUSTOMERS, to do everything possible to make it up to them. This very important value is what Spirit lacks, and that is why they have now FOREVER lost my wife's and my business.

I am out TWELVE HUNDRED DOLLARS and it is Spirit's fault, but they refuse to take responsibility for what is clearly theirs to own. Perhaps if they would have done so we would have continued to fly Spirit, but not anymore, not ever and from this day on if anyone wants to book Spirit I will tell them to avoid them like the plague. We never listened to the Spirit horror stories of others, but obviously we should have. Lesson is, if you are thinking of booking Spirit to save money, you'll end up paying more in the long run, like I did.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

1:06 am I called airline regarding an email that stated flight was delayed to 5:30. Response was crew was ill. I arrived early but almost missed flight because another email was sent moving flight back to 5:09. Flight was boarded but delayed because pilot was still running late. Arrived just after 7 am and crew and pilot announced that flights were being held that were the connecting flights. We ran to gate E8 and when we arrived at 7:20 am they were just closing the door and wouldn't allow us to board even though the crew said they would wait. The desk attendant told us she could get us on a flight out of Orlando and that if we didn't run to gate G8 we would miss that one too.

We ran back to gate G8 and they were still boarding but said we weren't on the manifest. We were told to go to customer service to be added. We did so and they said corporate already moved us out on a 4:35 pm flight. We were told that if we wanted something sooner we needed to exit the terminal and go to the ticket desk. I spoke with Karen ** and she said there was nothing she could do, that this was the soonest flight available. I explained to her all the issues with her staff and the lies that were laid upon us. In all my years of flying I have never experienced such chaos. This is unacceptable management. There was no reason that the gate door couldn't have been opened to let us last 6 passengers on board unless your airline overbooked it. Not only are we now 10 hrs behind schedule now but the arrangements that have to be made are expensive and time-consuming. I believe that your customer service is in need of some serious modifications.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I am a frequent flyer and took Spirit Airlines. I am a 69 yrs old lady with disabilities. I flew from LGA to PTY and this Spirit Airlines cancelled my fly due to the weather. I re-book my fly and from LGA to MIA, was ok, my connection was cancelled twice and not only I was at the MIA airport overnight, where they didn't offer food, hotel or any accommodation my wheelchair never show up at the connection itinerary. It is an awful customer service airlines, nasty people taking care of customer. They need to stop providing service in America, or the American people!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

In the last month I have flown Spirit for a couple of trips, once for pleasure, and once for a family emergency, but nonetheless, to the same place. Every time I flew this route, it never failed, One or more of my flights was delayed. I even bought the travelers insurance one time and this was worthless. Sure, Spirit apologized every time, but that was all, and I understand things happen. However, when I go to their ticket counter with my luggage to check in and this one time, my luggage is 3lbs overweight, and I explain to the lady at the ticket counter how sorry I am that I can’t even take out 3lbs because I locked the key inside to my TSA lock, she said it would be an extra $30. There was no mercy, no compassion, no mercy. Doesn’t she believe that if I really could take out 3lbs I really would? The other thing is their website wouldn’t allow me to purchase my bag ahead of time. I contacted their technical support team and they were working on the problem.

Unfortunately, not fast enough. I showed the agents at the airport and it didn’t matter, I still had to pay the “airport price” for my bag vs the cheaper online price when it was a system error on their end. I had notified them of this problem 24 hours ahead of time. I guess in the world of Spirit Airlines, they are allowed to say “I’m Sorry,” to the customer and that’s Ok, but when it comes to the customer, no remorse, nor empathy, patience, or understand.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

My flight was cancelled and the "earliest" flight available was assigned to me. Yet the earliest flight was double the cost of my original flight and was not offered to me. I made the grave mistake of accepting a refund which allows them to avoid offering me a reasonable explanation as to why I was lied to. Before I accepted the refund I found a flight with Spirit on my phone yet they ignored my suggested and resumed to say that flight was no longer available. I took my refund and left the airport.

When I got home I called Spirit to see if we could arrange some type of option for this inconvenience. Bottom line when I called they just kept reminding me that since I had received a refund they couldn't do anything for me. I understand the situation but that doesn’t make Spirit an honest airline. I regret to say that I have lost quite a bit of money due to this inconvenience. Please make sure you really want to flight with Spirit. Btw if anyone want to confirm what I'm stating please search for flight 1223 from FT. Lauderdale to Denver, Co.

Resolution response: Feb. 20, 2019

Spirit Customer Service Number **. I called this Number and get good Service and Support. But once I had called some other Number and got Scammed by them. I would you like to aware all Spirit Air users Don't Call any other Spirit Support. So, please be Safe and secure.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I checked this: Which terminal is Spirit Airlines at LAX? Terminal 3. Los Angeles International Airport Terminal 3 serves Alaska Air, Horizon Air, JetBlue, Spirit Airlines, Virgin America and Virgin Australia. It contains entryways 30-39. I was dropped at terminal 3, however I discovered Spirit aircrafts was at terminal 5. I ran and ran yet I was 5 minutes late. The following Spirit Airline to Oakland was following 24 hours and just a single ticket was accessible with $99.00. I purchased the round outing ticket, so reluctantly I got it. Afterward, I discovered Southwest aircraft was opening couple of times around the same time.

What's more, It was hard to get discount back $99.00. The staff was so obtuse, however the administrator helped cash back. I think Spirit Airline should give me kudos for my missed one way trip. What's more, they should fix the site data effectively. When I read individuals' sentiments for Spirit, I can not anticipate it, however I share my awkward inclination toward Spirit. I like your aircraft name, however.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

This happened to me at least 4 ** times. I book a weekend round trip flight. Go out to my destination. Try to check in to come back. Flight is booked for a different date. So I gotta pay 300-400 in difference to go back when I needed to on same day. I'm being told it's a computer glitch that changes the dates usually a different month but on same day. I pay attention when I book the flight. There is no ** way I make the same mistake 4 times. Boycott Spirit Airline.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Once again, another flight cancelled due to this unreliable airline! My flight from PHX to MSP on 2/12 was supposed to leave @ 1:40p. After 3 delays due to weather?, we boarded @ 5:15p for a 5:30 take-off. Then, the pilot said they had a minor maintenance issue, which I witnessed may have been a water level problem, & we would leave in 10-15:00. At 5:45, they said the flight was cancelled because the crew couldn't fly after 16:00 hours. We had to deplane & get refunds & supposedly help with re-booking.

Actually I heard 2 of the attendants were ill. Spirit never has enough staff or planes to take care of such situations! They knew exactly how long to stay on the ground to force a cancellation. 200+ people stood in line for hours to get a refund only & the next Spirit flight wasn't for 2/14. They don't help to reschedule on another airline because it was weather related. Funny how other flights were leaving around the same time!

I had to pay $255 to fly a Sun Country red-eye leaving at 1:05a to get home! It remains to be seen if I get compensated for any of that! I had 2 similar issues in the past, and I'll avoid this airline to the best of my ability, but they keep giving me vouchers so it's a catch 22! In addition, a lot of destinations from Mpls have been eliminated and have poor connections. Also, the frequency flyer miles used to have 4 levels of miles which is now a joke. You're lucky to find anything less than 25,000 1 way at any time!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I had the most awful experience. My friend and I decided to visit friends in Florida. We got to the airport very early, to check in. We wanted to sit together. They wanted to charge us $80. We declined then they charged me $2.90 so I could get a report on my phone about flight delays. We went through security, looked at the reader board, noticed flight is delayed. We would not make our connection from Vegas to Florida. We went back to front desk. They told us that we needed to go back to the terminal. Someone would help us.

When no one showed, and our flight was delayed even longer, we went back to the front desk. At this time we waited for a supervisor. She finally helped us get on another flight with a different airlines. In the meantime my phone is still giving me updates on when the original flight. That flight was 6 hours delay. We will never fly Spirit airline. Also on our new flight we had to pay an additional $50 for our carry on. Even though we pay Spirit airline $50 FOR the same service.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Flight yesterday 2/12 from Phoenix to Minnesota was delayed 3x due to snow in Minnesota. I get it, weather happens. Boarded the plane at 5:15, sat there for ½ hour and they said, "Sorry everyone, the air staff have been on duty for 16 hours so now we have to cancel the flight." 200+ people running to the Spirit desk for refunds or reschedule flights. So, if they knew they were over their times, why didn't they just cancel the flight to begin with? While I did get a refund it was also $66 more to fly on another airline. When I made a complaint/comment about this debacle they sent me a $100 travel voucher good until 4/15/19, which won't do me any good because first I won't be traveling in the next 60 day, and the stress to get a refund and find another flight was horrible not only to me but to 200 others.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I was traveling in Spirit Airways on February 2 2019 from Newark, NJ to LAX. Carry on bag was charged with $65 and the airport staff did not give a proper response for this. When I booked a ticket, there were no disclosure about any charge for carry on. Cheap airline. Disgusting experience.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I was travelling in Spirit airways on 27 Jan 19 from ATL to LAX. Carry on bag was charged with $65 and the airport staff did not give a proper response for this. Requested customer care to refund and they are not responding at all. Flight was not cleaned properly and some of the previous traveler has sticked the gum (chewing gum) on the tray table where I was not able to use the table at all.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Do not ever go on Spirit because they are the worst airline in the business. I bought a ticket two days ago and they took all my money and did not want to even refund and the little amount that I had left instead they wanted to give me a credit for which I'm never going to go on. They are the worst because they never come on time and they always leave you stranded. If you know what's best for you don't waste your money.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I flew Spirit Airline from New Orleans to Seattle with a layover in Las Vegas. First our flight was delayed for over an hour due to the lavatories valve being frozen shut and we were all told we weren't making our connecting flights. There was also an issue with the fueling of the aircraft and the wings not being balanced. Then after sitting in a hot cabin for that length of time and missing connecting flights the airline didn't even comp us water or accept cash for it. I will never fly them again. It's ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I was charged $65 for a carry on, without asking me if my carry on fits their size threshold. At the counter employee #11599 did not even put my carry on in the basket to see if it fits. She saw I have a carry on and she said $65. It did not sound right at all. When I arrived at my destination, I approached the counter asking what happened, the lady took my carry on and placed in the size basket and it fit right in. She said "why were you charged?" I said I do not know. I was given a number to call. My trip was for only 24 hours stay in Vegas for a funeral. The next day when I arrived back to Oakland CA. I approached the same employee #11599 at the counter asking why was I charged without fitting my carry on, She said "sorry sir, we were too busy and hectic." She asked me to speak to her supervisor.

At downstair departure main counters. I spoke with the supervisor, he fit my beg saw it was fitting. He said to allow him to speak to the employee in the back door inside their office. He came back saying the employee told him that I am lying and I had a different bag the day before. I told him that she at her counter just told me she was sorry and she was hectic and mistakenly charged me, and now that I am not before her she says I had a different bag? My trip was for only 24 hours attending a funeral, I only took pajamas, and toothbrush and a shirt with me. I had no reason to carry a bigger bag pay for it and come the next day and lie about it.

The manager told me to email customer support to recover the charge. Which I will, and I told him if this to lie to me again, and just to brush me off I will come back to his counter. After emailing back and forth and sending the pictures of my bag inside the carry on fit basket, they said the handle of my beg was slightly higher than the line. Which was a complete lie again. They refused to reimburse the charge. I felt completely ripped off. This is a cheap and corrupt company. Misleading advertisements on their price but they rip people off other ways. I will never fly Spirit again.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Mr. Fornaro, Recently due to a contagious illness, I was forced to cancel my flight. I am unsure of when I will be able to travel again. Offering a travel certificate is UNACCEPTABLE. Spirit does not fly from my home airport nor to any destinations I wish to travel in the future. Spirit is NOT concerned with the safety of their passengers! The only acceptable solution is to provide a complete refund to my credit card. I will continue to post to social media until a full and complete refund is credited to my charge card. Is the $112 worth hundreds of lost consumers that will read my posts and not even consider Spirit any longer. Remember we have choices.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I would be much more willing to sit in the uncomfortable hard seats that don’t recline or listen to the overhead compartments that rattle so intensely you’re left wondering if the bags are about to come falling down on top of your head or pay the additional fees for every little thing like those uncomfortable and hard seats and even water, if the airlines customer service were even on par with any other airline.

While away for a wedding we got the terrible news that my husband's uncle had passed away. We needed to change our flight to come home earlier (5 hours sooner) in order to make the services. The fees Spirit airline wanted to charge us were excessive and unfortunately we couldn’t really afford them so, I called to see if we could possibly have a reduction in them in order to be able to make it home. The only way they were willing to accommodate us was if we provided a death certificate to prove our beloved uncle was gone. Completely inhuman!! They kept citing that their policy was what it was but we all know that exceptions can be made to any policy in such extenuating circumstances. We weren’t asking for anything free we just wanted a reduction in cost to make it easier to get home!!

I was not about to trouble a grieving wife or children to obtain a copy of the certificate so I sent Spirit a copy of the obituary and a receipt for flowers we were sending to the funeral home. All this got us was a $180 travel credit we HAVE to use by March of this year! We had to ask family members to help us pay over $600 to move a flight up 5 hours and all they can offer is $180? What kind of despicable company does this? It’s very presumptuous of them to assume we are in any sort of position to be making travel plans within 2 months and of course $180 gets us absolutely nowhere and we would still have to shell out several hundred dollars for any flight we would book. I am literally battling with them over excessive fees and they just assume we can book a trip two months from now to utilize their “fair credit”??!!

My advice to anyone traveling is that you’re better off paying a little bit more for a more reputable airline. Not only will you be more comfortable you’ll also have the comfort of knowing that in an event like ours, you’ll be dealing with compassionate, understanding people who seem to actually care about their customers and not just money.

In 2016 my husband's grandmother passed away while he was visiting family on the west coast, when he called the airline to change the flight to come home and mourn her they accommodated him with no additional fees and all they asked was her name and the funeral home running the service. He flew United that time and going forward we will only ever do business with them or other top rated companies. You get what you pay for is too nice to say about Spirit Air, their people they aren’t worth a single red cent.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Seats are uncomfortable, staff are rude. Plus, it's not even that good of a deal – it's a scam. $55 per person bag fees, even for carry-on, mean that the price they're quoting on Expedia, etc., is way way low for what you'll actually be paying. And on the flight I was on, they scammed us – literally scammed us, charging us for the bags twice. (Ticketing agents screwed up and didn't ticket our bags all the way to the final destination.) None of the ticketing agents cared, and they all passed the buck – that the original mistake took place in another airport, so their "hands were tied."

It took a Kafkaesque experience of spending hours with "customer service" to get them to refund the double-charge, and, after that, they were unwilling even to talk about refunding us for the bag fee to begin with. I pointed out that they didn't respect initial terms of contract – that we paid for the bags to our final destination. They don't care. Out of "fairness" to our other "guests" they can't do anything. That is, they scam everyone who flies with them equally. Don't fly this airline. It is the worst of the worst.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My dad was traveling from El Salvador to Fort Lauderdale, he is 68 yrs old and with diabetes issues, the flight was delayed for about an hour so he had to wait, now that was that. He was traveling back home which was on January 10, they overbooked the flight and they were not taking in his second traveling bag as they had a "restriction" because of the holidays that every passenger could only take one bag even though we had paid for the second bag the night before over the phone with an agent...

So since they did not allowed us to check in the second bag we decided to change his flight to January 14 which they wanted to charge us an additional $150 dollars! Insane we felt that we were being held hostage with no options and they did not care if they overbooked the flight. You pretty much had to bend over and take it or pay more money to change the flight or just leave 1 bag behind which is ridiculous, after 2 hours arguing with the agent and finally they accepted their mistake they moved the flight at no charge to the 14th.

But the issues did not stop there. On the 14th we arrived early to the airport only to find out that his flight was yet again delayed, he was supposed to leave at 10:55 am and end up leaving at 12:30 pm, the reason being for the delay was because they were having "issues with the plane". There is always a delay with this airline to merge 2 empty flights together. They do it often so who knows if this is true.

I also want to add up that I notice some of the staff were being very rude to other customers. We ended up spending a lot more money with this airline and the time and aggravation was not worth it. Also there is no one around to help. We pretty much go to the kiosk and check our own bags, get the slips for it, stick it to the bag and what do they do? Nothing! Even when you are looking for someone to help you at the kiosk only one agent is available for everyone if you even get the chance to talk to him or her. We are the ones doing their jobs, and we are spending more and more money on this crazy airline. I will never fly with them again and suggest you don't either. By the way I was not gonna rate this at all, but supposedly it is required. :/

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

OMG! That was a terrible experience and definitely the last time when I used Spirit services. I bought a round trip from Houston to Orlando, then I was not able to leave Houston on time so I booked a one-way flight with United and called Spirit to adjust my returning flight and everything looked good. I still had my returning ticket to Houston. Imagine what. Spirit canceled both of my flights... I'm at the airport, I bought that seat. They still have seats available but they are not letting me in... I paid for my seat, they never made any refund and right now they are offering me to buy my seat again but for $250 extra. Unethical company, which doesn't value their clients.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had a flight from Detroit to Las Vegas on January 16th which was delayed (flight#NK511) so I missed my connection flight to San Diego (departed at 12:57 pm local time). I was supposed to be in San Diego at 2 pm and with the new voucher I will be there at 10 pm. I have missed my business meetings in San Diego all afternoon. Nobody is responding at the gate and customer support didn’t help either. I have written multiple reviews and complaints but haven’t received a single reply or compensation for wasting my whole day. Even Spirit website has some sort of filter for complaints and one star reviews which is cheating in the daylight. I'm going to get help from social media next.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We regularly fly from Atlantic City to Points in Florida... I have had a number of issues with their very poor customer service. If you need to make ANY changes they will not credit your card - they will give you a useless voucher that you can never redeem. There are many far better airlines that are just as competitive... Do yourself a favor and avoid Spirit Air at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was flying from IAH to PDX over Christmas, 2018 with Spirit Airlines with a layover in LAS. Spirit Airlines cancelled my flight from Las Vegas to Portland claiming it to be bad weather even though the flight for Seattle left moments before taking the same flight path "40 and clear skies in Portland by the way". I will NEVER fly Spirit Airlines again. Myself and 4 year old daughter approached the ticket counter to get another return flight home. Upon speaking with the ticket agent after waiting in line for 45 minutes we were informed the next return flight to Portland was (4 DAYS LATER). This would have been fine except for the fact that Spirit Airlines offers no hotel or flight compensation due to canceled flights.

After complaining for 30 minutes they offered us a flight to Seattle, I then had to purchase 2 EXTRA plane tickets to return home from Seattle adding $500.00 to my overall trip cost and let's not forget about the hotel that was not compensated. I am still waiting on a refund, it's been over a month and Spirit is unhelpful and non-responsive. In addition during all the ruckus they lost my stroller and car seat. Spirit Airlines claims to be the cheapest but make no mistake, they can be one of the most expensive with the snap of a finger. Take warning, Spirit Airlines is a joke, just spend the money and fly Alaska, Southwest, or American.

Spirit Air Company Information