2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.95/5

Southwest Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: March 21, 2020

My husband, myself and our youngest son booked a flight last April to see our 22 year old son graduate from Basic/Advanced training in Columbus Ga. The price for the three of us was very affordable. We love that they do not charge for our first luggage so that saved us money, which was even greater. We proudly attended graduation and spent quality time with our son.

On the return flight, I sat next to my husband who was sitting in the aisle seat. He had lost 50 lbs after heart surgery in 2017, so his ring was a little loose. While serving us our beverages, the flight attendant reached down next to his seat picking up a wedding band and asked if it was his. Yes, It was his! We were so grateful she found his ring before we left the plane. He would have been devastated to have lost it. It has special inscription inside. We had been married 24 years at this time. He finally put a ring guard on it after we returned. I am still so grateful for the service of that flight attendant to this day. The entire crew was up to par. Southwest will always be my first choice in domestic flights in the US.

Original review: March 14, 2020

The employees of Southwest Airlines are very polite and helpful. At one time when we had to use American Airlines when we arrived at our destination I was in a wheelchair and I was left at the gate to wait for the amendment to take me to the baggage area. I was left there for about 15 minutes and I started to worrier I would miss my ride so I started to go on on my own and it was very hard to go because it was uphill and then a Southwest Airlines employee came by her way to their gate and she saw me struggling and ask me if I need help and said yes but that I was an on an American Airlines passenger and she, "That's ok. I will help you to the baggage area," and she helps me get my luggage and took where my ride was waiting.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2020

The number one reason I fly SW is the safety factor. They put safety first. Once on a stop over flight they told us it wasn't safe to fly because of severe thunderstorms. They allowed us to disembark the plane and get refreshments in the terminal. Some people were complaining, I for one thanked the attendant for the safety precaution saying I didn't care how long we had to wait as long as I got to my destination safely. The second time we had to return to the terminal because of a computer issue. SW did everything they could to put everyone on later flights and compensated us too. All their employees are helpful including when you call SW. Thank you SW for taking care of me and my children who are frequent flyers for business trips.

Original review: March 10, 2020

Everything went off without a hitch. Pre-flight instructions were thorough and to the point. Loading was well organized and quite smooth. No big delays or hangups. The flight attendants did their jobs and were polite. The direct flight to Phoenix from Msp was actually 35 minutes early which was wonderful. I asked the pilot on the way off how fast we were going and he smiled and said something about the speed of sound. What really ill impressed us was the help we received at MSP getting our tickets. We are not computer savvy so we looked kind of confused coming up to the ticket counter. Immediately a worker came over and walked us through using our cell phones to scan in the machine and get our tickets printed. We were both so appreciative of that help. They must have seen a couple of seniors and were ready to assist. A pleasant flying experience which made for an enjoyable beginning of our vacation. Thankyou Southwest.

Original review: March 9, 2020

Recently I had flown Southwest Airlines from Sacramento to Las Vegas (my home). While waiting for the flight to board, I was approached by a flight attendant offering me assistance to board. I'm an elderly overweight man, having weak knees, which troubles me getting out of low chairs. This kind gentleman helped me up and escorted me onto the plane ahead of the folks in line. I was dismayed at the conscientiousness of this attendant of spotting me in the very crowded waiting area and coming to my aid.

After boarding he led me to a seat with extra leg room and placed a pillow on the seat next to me allowing more room for me to be more comfortable (it was not a full flight). He then brought me a water, and said to call him if I needed anything else. With this kind of exceptional service, how could I not become a dedicated and loyal customer to this great company. Whether Southwest trains their employees to give this kind of service or hire individuals with this type of compassion, they evidently are doing something right with their customer service. I, for one, truly appreciate it. Since that time, I've flown with them as often as possible, and speak highly of them to friends and family.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Booked a flight in December of 2019 for January 2020. Friend's Father was in ICU for a month so had to cancel trip. Then COVID hit in March. Grandparents that I help take care of are in their late 80s so travel and being around the general public is out of the question now. Southwest says I have to fly by 12/3/20 or I lose 100.00 of my $183.00 fare. More than a 50% penalty. They are not concerned with public health nor the current travel advisories. I have flown Southwest for many years but will be using other airlines once this pandemic ends and people can travel safely again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I flew Southwest twice in the past month having never used them in the past. This was my first experience. I have to say that with everything going on in our world, they made the experience so comfortable and easy to handle. From the first moment you enter the plane until exit, they treat you like family. I love love love the humor when making announcements. We all need humor. Once attendant said yesterday that, "We love you, but we don't trust you so we will be checking all your seatbelts." LOL. The pilots were so kind on the announcements too. It was just a very pleasant trip during a tough time in our world. THANK YOU!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Booked a vacation package on 3/2/20, had to cancel on 4/15/20 due to covid, was told I would receive a refund by end of July. It did not happen. Called back. Said it would be by end of August. It did not happen. Called back 9/9/20. Was told I would have it refunded within 10 days. Still no refund as of 9/21/20.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

Judging by the amount of grievances with Southwest Airlines out there on the web these days, the tide is turning for the once well-thought of "friendly" and hip airline we all loved. My problem stemmed from having to cancel an airline ticket I had purchased for last November 2019. I felt it was no problem for me to re-use the voucher within the next year but the Covid-19 scare began a month later and has continued to date.

I called Southwest recently and asked for an extension for the ticket but the woman told me to let it expire, then call them. What?? What kind of a sly suggestion is that for a business to ask a consumer who has paid for their product but has not used it? I couldn't believe this was the response I was getting from Southwest Airlines....I then went to the BBB of Texas and filed a complaint. The next day the response from Ashley **, of Southwest Airlines, was to "just let your ticket expire and call us after that". What? Why in the world would I want to do that? Is this the new way of business in 2020? Southwest, I thought you were better than the others.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I would like to start this out with I have never been so outraged with a company I feel the need to write reviews on multiple platforms. Originally, in August of 2019, I purchased two flights to Mexico. One of them needed to be canceled and Southwest would not allow me to do that without eating the cost of the entire $500 flight. In return they offered me a transfer of funds for a hundred dollar fee - having no choice, I accepted this change. I then went to use the rest of my voucher (prior to the date of expiration) and found that I could not find the voucher id number. The company reached out and said this would be, NO ISSUE AT ALL - and within three days they would e-mail me the new number with an extension of six months time due to covid restrictions - GREAT! Right? - No. They then sent nothing, went radio silent.

So I proceeded to reach BACK OUT to the company (on my time!) and when they reached out again they told me they would not only not honor what had been said but they would now only honor it if they could take another ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS from the $189 voucher. At this point, that would be $200 lost to their customer service department. I really just can’t fathom the inability for such a LARGE company to foot a hundred dollar bill (that I’ve already PAID) and also tell me that there is no one who can be spoken to about this except the one person in the department who is the “supervisor” - I have worked in sales/customer service for many years and this is absolutely ridiculous behavior for a company that prides themselves in the value of the customer experience. Once again, this is money that I have ALREADY PAID to the company that they will have now taken from me - even with a Global Pandemic in the midst.

Southwest Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information