2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.9/5 (1693 ratings)

About Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

We were very glad to have two bags fly free vs the other airlines. The staff were very kind and informative about everything you needed to know about the flight.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I like flying Southwest because bags are free, I can earn miles and sometimes my flights are free. The only reason I do not like Southwest is their boarding process. I would rather be assigned a seat.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Southwest is very customer friendly. The whole experience is why I keep going back; I love the way the seats are allocated. No 1st class no low class. A real class airline, I was very familiar with US Air being from Pittsburgh, the service attitude and crew attendants were rude, tired and old. Southwest is a happy vibrant experience.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I have had blood clots in the past and I need to stand every 45 minutes. All other airlines treat me as if I were a terrorist. Southwest welcomes my standing, interacts with and works around me and makes me feel welcome.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

The package deal (hotel /airfare) I had was great and very inclusive which I liked. The boarding process is not my favorite. I am a senior and was traveling with a 7 year old and unless I paid $15 per person to board early, I was at the mercy of finding seats. On our outgoing flight, my granddaughter had to sit between strangers, which is daunting to a 7 year old. I paid the extra money for us to sit together coming back.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Every time I've been on a SW flight I've received friendly customer service at the check in counters, the boarding counter as well as the flight crew. The aircrafts are spacious. The menu has your basic options to get your from A to B. Their flight options are also reasonable for those of you that don't mind their boarding system. It's a little unorthodox however... you're saving money so sit back, fasten your seatbelt and let them entertain you. Thank you SW for always providing your customers with friendly service!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Southwest has reduced the number of nonstop flights but they still have some of the best prices. I also find the staff has always been very friendly and I've never had a problem.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I fly Southwest if I'm going anywhere that Southwest flies. They are usually on time, more than any other airline. The staff is friendly and helpful and kind. They truly try to make your flying experience a good one. Also, their airfares are many times cheaper than others.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Almost always fly Southwest Airlines when I can. Most competitive prices I almost always see and have never had delays or any problems with my flight.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Southwest is amazing when you have to travel. Customer service is number one. Plus we have 2 free luggage. I love to use this airline.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Hello, I boarded my flight Monday afternoon via Southwest Airlines and was seated and had my bags in front of me and the seatbelt on ready for take-off. Well that didn't take place because I had two people tell me I had to get off the plane and wouldn't explain to me why until I was off the aircraft. Then they had the nerve to tell me I "appeared" to be intoxicated, according to who I ask? No response, I had a beer with my lunch while waiting for my flight. In no way shape or form does a beer make you intoxicated, I've flown before I know the rules etc and this was far a work trip, well since I was kicked off I now lost my job. So a big shout out to Southwest Airlines, for ruining my life! I will never, I mean never fly with you again, and neither will anyone I tell because this experience will be public!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

On 8/21/2017 Flight 6166 on Southwest Airlines was Amazing! I flew from Seattle and had about a 30-minute layover in San Jose. Final destination, San Diego. Since I did not leave the plane, flight attendants Gabriel ** and Stephanie ** was so friendly. Gabriel had a comical approach when using PA and made us smile. I was amazed he's only been flying 4 months! These two are an asset to your airline. Captain Trent ** and his Co Jay ** was also very friendly. I even got to take a picture in the cockpit. This entire experience made my flight an easy and very pleasant one. I hope these 4 great people will know I sent this review in. I work in customer service and know how important a smile, a kind word, and expressing a true sense of one enjoying their job! These 4 did that!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

On Sunday 8/6/2017 I had a nonstop flight (3658) on Southwest along with my brother-in-law from MSY (New Orleans) to DAL (Dallas Love). My other brother-in-law was booked on American (5921) from MSY with a connection in Dallas to XNA (Ark). We were scheduled to depart around the same time to land in Dallas. Our SW flight continued to be delayed and then eventually CANCELLED! MY BROTHER-IN-LAW'S flight took off and landed in Dallas then on to Ark without any issues!!! We were told there was nothing SW could do but book us on a flight (connection) the next morning (with a 3-hour layover in AUSTIN).

They said they would NOT reimburse us for the hotel. I would like to note that we also lost a full day's PAY for missing work on Monday. The next morning our flight to Austin was delayed, then we were told that our flight from Austin to DFW was delayed!!! When we eventually landed in Austin, we rented a car and drove home. SW REFUSED to Reimburse us for our hotel and/or our rental car!!! I am advising you... DO NOT FLY SOUTHWEST... It is worth spending a few extra dollars to fly AMERICAN!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

The original flight of July 1, From PHL to STL (MIUODJ) was cancelled last minute and I was assigned to a very inconvenient flight for the next day without being consulted, July 2 that would take me home in 8 hours with 2 stops, instead of the original flight (2 hours the day before.) I cancelled that and had to buy an additional ticket from another airline so I can meet my responsibilities. I was promised a refund of ~ $188. That never happened either.

I called today and an agent claimed she would enter it today manually (7/31/2017). In the meantime all your agents in unison did successfully was to apologize profusely as they were trained to do. This trip with Southwest thanks to the poor service and unfulfilled promises cost me to arrive home a day late and ~$1000.00 and I have not been refunded in a timely manner either. By the way, I wanted to call for this complaint and the wait on line was 48 minutes. That is unacceptable as well. July 31 2017.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Almost two weeks ago I had a need to fly from Orange County, CA to Oakland, CA to attend a business meeting that same day. I had purchased a Business Select ticket from Southwest on their 9:10 am flight. I typically choose to the Business Select ticket to ensure I am able to board the flight earlier and secure an aisle seat near the front of the plane. For this flight I had secured the A1 boarding spot (that would be the first to board). As I am moving through TSA at approx. 8:00 am a colleague calls me to tell me he is at the gate for our flight and notices that Southwest cancelled the flight. We had received no telephone call, no text, no alert that this had happened. Southwest simply did not bother to communicate it to the passengers of this flight.

Two gates down from our cancelled flight was the earlier Southwest flight (8:10 departure) to Oakland which had already boarded. My colleague and I ran to the gate to attempt to board this flight. Fortunately there were seats available in the back of the plane in middle seats. My Business Select ticket purchase strategy was now somewhat useless as I was the unhappy recipient of row twenty-something, middle seat. I naturally assumed that since Southwest cancelled my flight and I was unable to take advantage of the primary Business Select ticket benefit, early boarding, that Southwest would reimburse me for the difference in cost between a Business Select ticket and a standard ticket for this leg of the trip.

I attempted to get assistance for this reimbursement matter once we arrived in Oakland at the gate. They could not help and sent me to the ticket counter. They could not help me and told me to call the Southwest reservations number. They could not help and told me to call the Customer Service number. Here I was informed that the wait was more than two hours and I should try to utilize the Customer Service E-Mail alternative. I chose to utilize the E-Mail alternative which, per their system informed me that a response would take up to 48 hours. Seven days later I still had not received a reply. I finally called a help number and waited until I received a customer service representative. The representative had to find my case and proceeded to let me know that they were busy and had not begun to research my case. I told her I had time and would wait as she read my email submission.

Once she read my description of the issue she quickly proceed to tell me that I was not entitled to a reimbursement. In spite of not receiving early boarding, she informed me that I still received advantages from the Business Select ticket because they were kind enough to let me on the earlier flight at no increase in price and that I had received a free drink ticket. Needless to say, I was stunned. It was very clear from the words this customer service person chose, as well as her tone of voice, that she really did not care about me in the least. She was solely focused on saving Southwest Airlines a few bucks.

If I could avoid flying this Airline forever I would. Unfortunately I have no real choice but to fly with these jokers. This said, every opportunity I have to speak poorly about them, I will. Every opportunity I have to avoid them, I will. Every chance I have to find a way to extract my lost value from them, I will. I am just so, so disappointed in Southwest Airlines. It would have been simply for them to do the right thing and appropriate thing but instead they chose the short sighted decision to punch their customer in the nose. The entire situation makes my blood boil.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

My husband and I booked the flight listed above on February 23rd, to attend our family reunion. We arrive at the airport two hours prior to this flight time only to receive an email at 10:21am (55 minutes before we are scheduled to start boarding) that the fight was cancelled due to the weather. My sister whose currently at BWI awaiting our arrival said it was sunny there. I called the hotel that we were booked to stay at and they also stated no rain in sight and that they had nothing but sunshine.

When I gave this info to the ticketing agent (while still holding the phone line for a SW agent to come to pick) I was then told the FAA cancelled the flight.. Then I decided to go online to southwest.com to see what was going on. I found our flight (2078) was scheduled to leave BWI at 2pm heading to Salt Lake City Utah... How is that? The very same flight number. It was due to arrive a little after 5pm... Interesting because for sure that doesn't just happen. It has to go through a process and people have to be manually placed on that flight.

Two totally different flight with the exact same flight number flying out in supposedly the same bad weather that kept us from flying into BWI. Now I know it wasn't weather related for sure because we had family at the BWI airport and at the hotel. Later a SW employee stated they had cancelled so many flights on Thursday (8/3) and didn't have enough crew to get caught up... And that SW failed to notify the customers in a timely manner. Southwest refused to engage or secure other flights for us on other airlines and being all out of options we headed home and missed our family reunion.

Now I think you should be held accountable for you actions because you clearly chose to lie about the situation instead of facing it head on and being honest with you customers. Your customer service was one of the worst I have ever experienced with an airline. You had a ticketing agent (Kiah) who stated oh she could deal with the attitudes because she was from NY... Really? What kind of customer service commenting is that? All she needed to do was her job nothing more nothing less.

So in a short time you manage to cancel 2078 from RDU-BWI and used that exact same flight number got an aircraft, crew and passengers assigned to leave BWI en route to Salt Lake City Utah.... Interesting... You failed to inform your customers in a timely manner, you failed in getting us assigned to other flights, you failed in getting us to our destinations and you FAILED IN CUSTOMER SERVICE! I know first hand it wasn't a weather related issue as it was told to us because I we had family at the BWI airport awaiting us as well as family in DC. Then SW conveniently changed the story to shift the blame to the FAA. Southwest commitment to Customer service is the worst I have ever seen.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I wrote a bad review too soon about Southwest Airlines. I went on their web site and sent them an email. They called me 5 mins later and fixed the problem. I am so impressed with them. I won't fly with anybody else.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have flown with Southwest Airlines several times using group sale. May 2017 Southwest airlines Changed their policy for group sales. This has been a nightmare and I haven't even flown yet. My family and myself used group sales to book a trip to Orlando. First off they require a deposit of $50.00 per person $1,050 (this is not a problem.) When it come time to pay the final payment no one answers the phone. I called for 4 days straight to make my payment. With the final payment you have to pay the original payment in full and they hold your deposit until the final payment clears.

My party decreased by three people which is more than 10% of the party so they keep the $50 deposit for each of those person. Southwest use to apply the money to the balance which was nice. Back to submitting my final payment, which I finally emailed over to them and was told that area is behind so we don't know how long it would be before you received your deposit of $900 back. For me that a lot of money to be holding on to it. Took them almost two weeks to process the payment and another 8 days to get my deposit back into my checking account.

I received my confirmation and the group split up. I called and asked why and was told that they process it in part of 15, so not I have kids and parent on two different confirmation. I called and talk to Customer service and was pretty much told "oh well work it out at the airport." Since I have booked this trip, up until now I have had to call Southwest 10-15 times. The customer service has really going downhill along with their new policy in group booking. I won't be using group booking again.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I was younger when I traveled with Southwest Airlines, so things are kind of vague but I remember getting snacks and liking the fact I received a complimentary soda. I also like that if you are on a long flight you are able to watch a movie as well and it makes time move much faster, I'm sure most of us would like to start our vacation ASAP, so the faster the better! Maybe they could make the seats being more comfortable and better for long travel. Especially on long flights it is sometimes difficult to get comfortable.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I was hung up on by a Southwest agent on the phone after she cut me off while I was still speaking by talking loud and down to me. I had booked a flight for work travel (which I do regularly) and was returning after a night of no sleep and 6 hour meeting. My meeting ended early. I was booked on the 6:45pm back to Chicago from Tampa. I decided to go to an earlier flight's (4pm) departure gate (after clearing security) by 3pm. I was there at 3pm. I only had a small carry on. I knew (from the attendant down at luggage) that 18 seats were still open for the 4pm. At the gate, I politely asked (and smiled because I knew I was asking for customized service) if they would be willing to switch me to the earlier flight since I knew there were many seats open. The SW worker made no inquiries into my situation nor whether I was a RR member and said no. His response was that I can pay the difference ($320) and that's it.

On the verge of getting sick from lack of sleep and wanting to get home early for bed, I called an agent and asked the same. She said no, she would not do that, unless my flight was delayed. (Funny thing was just after the 4pm took off, my 6:45pm was delayed -- which made me hate Southwest even more.) I said that was not very much in line with the recording I just heard about SW not about wanting my money but wanting to deliver customer service. She said "you are trying to get a $320 ticket for free," and hung up on me.

I was horrified and humiliated -- to be accused of trying to steal, to be talked down to like a child and then to be hung up on. Those 18 seats were likely not to be sold 1 hour before a flight. (Also, my 6:45 flight was full and 1 empty seat may have been good.) SW had a chance, at $0 cost to them to give me a seat (I was already at the gate, mind you, with no luggage) that would make me a happy repeat customer. Instead, I will never fly Southwest again, no matter the cost. It is not about budget for flights anymore with all the horrible airline experiences out there. I would rather pay more and know I am giving my money to a company that actually treats people humanely.

Perhaps SW does not give authority to its workers to make individual choices on a case by case basis and use their minds to think what is best for the company. If someone would have just stopped to think about it: I doubt many people go through security, with no check in luggage, and try to "scam" the company for an earlier seat an hour before a flight. By treating everyone with policies that are not change-able based on circumstance, there is NO customer service. So from now on, when I fly for work (or leisure), I will NEVER choose to give money to Southwest again. I also told all the people in my row what happened on my 6:45 flight. Additionally, I will make sure to encourage others never to fly Southwest.

Good luck to you, Southwest. Customer service means dealing with things in a customized way, especially when it is no cost to you. You clearly do not know what true customer service means and should change your recordings for those waiting 15 minutes (which I did) to talk to a rep that hangs up on your customers.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I had to take Southwest Airlines last time and the overall experience is not so good for me. The seats are outdated and uncomfortable. There may be more routes and relatively a little bit lower fares than other airlines. But I would not recommend Southwest to anyone. I always check in online very early but I still couldn't get an early group boarding. I really hated its open seating policy. It's another way to raise the fares with forcing you to buy premium boarding. You have to buy a premium boarding pass otherwise you'll have to take a middle seat.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Their website is very user friendly and they fly to the destinations I most want to travel to. I like that there are no baggage fees and that you get to check one bag per person for free. They have never lost my baggage and they offer their flights at great prices. Southwest is my favorite airline. Flights are usually always on time and the employees are always friendly, helpful and courteous.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Really like the customer service and I have always had good experiences flying on Southwest. We flew in a terrible storm and the attendants made sure my children were comfortable. No hassles at check in and much Lower prices than other airlines and friendly people working for them, they don't charge as much for luggage and that is important. However I dislike the fact they don't have any food on flights. Also the insides of the plane are a little cramped and they could use some updating.

Original review: July 17, 2017

They have competitive rates and run sales often. They have a friendly staff. The policies are easy to understand and readily available. I wish all airlines still had the old school way of meals and snacks. I typically book online and many flight options in the schedule make it easier to travel with Southwest. There is a large area of destinations available to fly to and I would benefit if they expanded the flight destinations to include a lot more states. It's a bummer not to be able to use them for flying anyplace in the USA.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Nonstop flight from OKC to Las Vegas. Customer assistance in purchasing tickets very helpful. Easy travel was great with Southwest. Attendants were courteous and very helpful. Comfortable seating, easy check in, boarding and departure. Unable to get assigned seats in advance of flight. Seating only on first come basis but was able to get seat by window. Flights right on time both going and returning. Pilot friendly and flight very smooth. Baggage claim very good as well. However, they no longer serve in flight meals or snacks and the cost of alcoholic beverages is very expensive. But overall very good experience.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I just love Southwest from the first time I ever flew on their airline. I choose them whenever possible. The boarding process is so easy and logical. Not sure why other airlines don't follow the same process. Much less hassle. The flight attendants are always helpful and accommodating.

Original review: July 16, 2017

Purchasing was easy, service was quick as could be expected and had everything one would need to fly. The attendants were friendly and accommodating. We did not have too many extra fees just the usual sales taxes. The boarding procedures were not too bad. It was hard to get people on board based by ticket but that is due to the flyers crowding the door when they say they are starting to board. They offered a decent selection of snacks and beverages and entertainment during the flight which went smoothly and quietly. And getting off the plane went rather quickly and smooth as well. Flights can be pretty hard in general, but it was an overall pleasant experience and I would fly with them again.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I always enjoy flying with Southwest. The employees are usually great, plus the ticket prices are generally cheaper than any other airline's prices. I do wish I could choose our seats though. It makes for slightly less standing around in the queue to board. Which, when you have mobility issues, can be a frustrating problem. But I like that there are not any baggage fees, up to it's either two or three bags. And I love how involved they are with both their local community and around the world.

Original review: July 15, 2017

The ticket prices, customer service and refreshments are good. Southwest Airlines have stewardess who are nice, friendly and helpful with small children. They have great specials on flights, and will give extra if you ask. Tried the early bird seating and still did not get on plane early enough, but still had a good seat and flight. Never lost luggage, or have problems with layovers, overall a good experience. Will use and fly with them again and might even try 1st class.

Original review: July 15, 2017

Everything is fast and easy with Southwest!! They have a very easy online site to navigate and purchase tickets through... Including being able to print out at home a boarding pass!! Their service from ticketing to boarding is ALL AROUND impeccable and they do their best to help in any way they can! ALL of Southwest's employees are AMAZING and knowledgeable! Their safety record is the BEST out there! I feel safe and secure when flying Southwest compared to other airlines! It is the only airline that I fly anymore. The ONLY thing I wish is that they flew to more locations via a DIRECT flight opposed to having to change planes at least once before arriving at the final destination!

Southwest Airlines Company Information