Seabourn Cruises

Compare Cruise Lines

Research top Cruise Lines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My spouse and I sailed on the Seabourn Quest – “21 Day Ultimate Antarctica and Patagonia”, from January 12, 2017 through February 2, 2017. Anyone that has sailed with Seabourn knows the trips are ridiculously expensive and should expect to receive exceptional service and the trip you expected. We enjoyed our experience but are disappointed that Seabourn reduced the Antarctic portion of our cruise from the scheduled six days to four days due to the illness of two of the passengers onboard.

While we are most sympathetic to the circumstances of these individuals and their families, it seems unfair that the remaining 400 plus passengers were so negatively impacted. We question whether or not this situation could have been addressed earlier when there would have been less impact. Specifically, there was clearly better access to medical facilities during our stops in Montevideo, The Falkland Islands and perhaps even in the South Shetland Islands.

Although information provided regarding the status of the sick individuals was limited, understandably to protect their privacy, it is our understanding that both were seniors (86 and 90 years old) and that the 90 year old ultimately passed away while on the ship. We were directly familiar with the circumstances of the 86 year old woman, given that she and her family had their cabins located close to ours and, consequently, we got to know them during the cruise.

As a result, we are fully aware that the woman took sick immediately after boarding (if not sick prior to boarding) and was either in her stateroom or in the ship’s infirmary during her entire stay onboard. We therefore question whether or not it would have been possible for staff members to identify her emergent medical condition earlier in the voyage. Many of the passengers we spoke to on the ship wondered if Seabourn had other options to deal with the sick passengers prior to departing from the Falklands.

We question where Seabourn’s protocol for passenger embarkation on trips to remote locations takes into consideration the passenger’s age and the increasing likelihood of illness as the passenger gets older. This is especially relevant when sailing to areas like the Antarctic when the ship is not in close proximity to medical facilities, and in this case for 10 days. Presumably this is why International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators recommends having passengers complete a medical form prior to sailing to the Antarctic. Does Seabourn follow this protocol? Seabourn refused to answer us on this!

It was clear that the Captain ** and the Quest staff were sincerely regretful that our time in the Antarctic was cut short. Efforts were made to compensate (and perhaps distract) us by including the sail to Cape Horn and the addition of another port (Chacabuco). It is, however, noteworthy that the additional port was disappointing and required passengers to spend more money if they wanted to go on a tour – which was advisable as there was absolutely nothing to do or see in the town.

It is important to underscore that we, and the great majority of passengers we spoke with, specifically chose this Seabourn itinerary because of the opportunity to go to the Antarctic. The fact that we lost one third of the scheduled time in the Antarctic on a very expensive cruise is upsetting to say the least. We acknowledge that Seabourn provided a token onboard credit as well as a $750 credit per passenger for a future cruise with Seabourn. While appreciated, frankly, these efforts fall far short of adequately compensating us for the lost time in the Antarctic. After arriving home we contacted Seabourn advising them of our concerns, and after numerous emails and phone calls that went unanswered, we finally received the token refund. Seabourn needs to do better.

We were very happy to book 5 cabins on this ship when we discovered it was designed to be accessible and had multiple levels of accessible cabins available. We booked the Penthouse Spa Suite for ourselves and 4 additional cabins for our children and their spouses. The ship is beautiful and well designed. There were some hiccups which I attributed to being a new ship still working out some kinks. Before booking the cruise we were assured that they had staff "specially trained" to assist with my husband's embarkation/debarkation at ports. We are now informed that they have forbidden any staff from assisting. We are unable to leave the ship!!!

They cite liability issues. I could understand if there were rough seas or other exceptional circumstances but there are not. I asked if we could transfer from a lower deck. Again, no. There are no provisions whatsoever for any access to ports. None. So we are stuck on board. Please be aware that if you choose to take this ship and are wheelchair bound there is no way to enjoy any excursions whatsoever despite having paid top dollar for private arrangements including accessible minibus for our family replete with ramp! If you are disabled, despite the lovely accessible cabins, avoid this ship unless you plan to stay on board for the entire voyage!!!

After paying $40,000 for a cruise we were shocked that it was $400 extra for internet, the food was very average and not up to the standards of other lines. The staff was nice but the ship was lacking in entertainment food and smelled like urine.

I was provided with large varieties of food and also alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks were available. Towels, soap, lotion, and shampoos were also all available. Many diverse options were available to me and the other passengers. They did a very good job to make all opportunities helpful and fun for everyone. With everything including the food and drinks everything was a great value and I'm happy to have made the purchase and I would definitely do it again someday if given the great opportunity. The stay was very relaxing but also very fun with many diverse options of things to do so that no one would get bored or hungry. The stay was worth the money and it was a very nice experience.

It was nice but not enough for me to recommend. Some of the food was not satisfactory, but otherwise, this was a good one. One of the best I've been on. Cool, different than others. I did tell my sister she would like it and the activities. She would have a ton of fun. She said she might go. It was pretty good. I think I paid a very reasonable amount for this cruise. I was able to go with my whole family and we all got nice rooms. The rooms were always clean and we never ever found items missing like some cruises have. I have been on a cruise where someone took one of my belongings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Seabourn Cruises?

Nice restaurant and food. Clean hallways and populated areas. Informative and helpful. Accommodations were comfortable and up-to-date. Lots of entertainment to choose from. Different day trips were offered. Each port we visited had options to choose from for what we wanted to do. The pool and ballrooms were exquisite. Package included meals. We were very pleased with the food, price was all-inclusive, and was well prepared and tasty. Very pleased with the value of the trip. Quality of stay was very good. Our rooms were spacious and well decorated. Had all amenities and staff was very polite. Felt relaxed and at ease. It was a wonderful experience.

They provide good onboard amenities. Everything you need to have a great stay they provide which I really thought was nice. It helped make our trip stress free to know if we forget something it wasn't a big deal they offered it. They offered great itinerary which I thought was great and helpful. They really try and think of everything they can to help make your vacation a good stress free one which I thought was wonderful of them to do. They offer good value and that really helps cause you want to go on a nice vacation and not have to worry about the cost of everything cause what's the point of going on vacation only to be more stress out about money. Very nice stay. Comfortable beds and very clean and well kept and I'm a neat freak so I really must have that and they do everything for you so you just lay back and relax and enjoy. Who could ask for more than that?

The service of this company made my cruise so much better and more relaxing. There was no chaos on board and everything went smoothly and worked out better than I expected. This is one of the weaker assets the company needs to work on. It doesn't have enough Itinerary Options which would've made things go much better. The whole cruise through this company was definitely worth the value. The quality and the price meet at just the right spot. Happy to be with them. The stay was the best part of the cruise. This company has probably the best quality of stay, since they had nice rooms, awesome food, etc.

It was so nice there. It was a good price for the cruise. It had some very nice features and benefits of the cruise. It was such a pleasant experience on this cruise. It was so fun and they had so much for the people to do there, it was insane.

We did lots of things while on the cruise like swimming and diving which were very fun and fun for the kids. They also had much more but too much to list. We were given enough time during the cruise to do what we wanted and I never felt like I was getting pushed to do something and did everything that I wanted to do while aboard. This trip was very cheap in comparison to other sea cruises and the ship was amazing and I think if I were to want to do something like that again I would choose this company. The room we stayed in was very good. It had two beds and a bathroom and it was always kept clean by the workers there offering to clean the room and the breakfast and dinner was to die for.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The Seabourn Pride was the first Seabourn ship to sail, back in 1988. The company is based in Seattle and focuses on providing ultra-luxury experiences, and its ships have no more than 300 suites.

• Sea cruises: Seabourn, as its name indicates, cruises the seas, and its ships are so small that the experience is similar to that of a river cruise. While some cruises include time on rivers as well as the Suez Canal and the Panama Canal, the company does not offer cruises that are solely river-based.
  • Excursions: The company has numerous optional excursions, such as kayaking and whale-watching.
  • Savings program: Guests who book early can save as much as 60 percent. Those who combine at least two cruises on the same ship can save an additional 10 percent.
  • Accessibility: Seabourn goes out of its way to meet the varying needs of its guests. It works with two vendors to provide oxygen deliveries to the ships.
  • Length: Guests can cruise for several days or a month. In fact, extended explorations allow guests to cruise for as long as 42 days, like on the Java and South Pacific route.
  • Best for Older travelers, especially those who want to cruise for weeks, and couples have fun on Seabourn Cruises.

Compare Cruise Lines