Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.25/5

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

My family and I went on a 4-night cruise in Nassau, Bahamas on Navigator of the Seas during the week of Thanksgiving this year. I have been on about five cruises, four of which have been on Royal Caribbean and I am always very happy with my experience. This was a great trip as well however, the dining experience was not as great as I remembered from my past cruises. However, aside from the food, the entertainment on the ship was as great as usual. My family regularly went to the bars on the promenade in the evening for drinks and good music. Every night, there was plenty to go to including comedy shows, karaoke, parties on the pool deck and plenty of activities for small children.

On our days off the ship, we went to the Royal Caribbean owned island in Nassau, Coco Cay and had an amazing experience. There were water parks, wave pools, different beach areas, pool bars, and great service from the staff. This is a great site for families as there is plenty to do for people of all ages. On our other day off the ship, we took one of the Royal Caribbean excursions and enjoyed a nice boat tour around the island and an evening sunset cruise that had free rum punch and great tour guides!

On our day at sea, we also got massages and facials at the spa onboard. We received stellar service during our treatments and it was such a relaxing experience. On the cruise, photographers are all around and capture great moments of you and your family. So, in the end we were able to select our favorite photos and compile a photo book that was just sent to our house. The price was a good deal at about $150 to capture our experience in a high-quality book. My family and I overall had a great trip and will continue to cruise with Royal Caribbean in the future.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

When my mother turned 60 I struggled with the perfect gift to give her. We decided that she would very much enjoy a family cruise to western Caribbean so I booked it with insurance and paid for it in full in January 2019. Fast forward to September 2019 and she received the devastating news that she had stage 4 lung cancer. She had a lung drain placed and has chemo and immunology every week. Doctors were worried about her ability to fight infections on such a large ship with many people from all over the world so they suggested she not go.

Now the second devastation in less then 2 months. We call the insurance and had detailed explanation of the process and submitted our paperwork. In less than 3 weeks we got back every dime we spent except the cost of insurance (which I totally understand). If I can offer anyone a piece if advice get the trip insurance for it because you never know. Thank you Royal Caribbean for making this transition a bit easier. We will definitely be back once she is well enough to travel!!!

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

They will usually offer all sorts of upgrades for rooms and you can bid on these which I did. Depending on your budget and level of activities you plan to participate in on the cruise a regular balcony will be sufficient but the suites are also very nice, roomy and the grand suites are excellent, with a separate partition for the bedroom and living room area and a small dining area. The bathroom for this suite was very comfortable and roomy as compared to the regular rooms as the showers in those are cramped but workable. All of the closet space has ample room for cruising unless you pack for several weeks and even then you'll still have enough room.

The one big complaint is the drink packages that we had and the availability of the soda machines were not very convenient nor were the ice cream machines. There were the main dining hall and the atrium for the ship, but this was for Mariner of the Seas. The staff on the ship was nice but do be careful if you go to the salon because they will try to sell you all sorts of overpriced products which are unnecessary. I would also be wary of the gem shops if you go to Nassau Bahamas because their "bargain price " is no bargain!

Original review: July 31, 2019

Went on 2 cruises with Royal Caribbean. Was pleasantly surprised when on our second trip, the cruise line evicted a group of 20 drunk college kids in Key West. They were making the trip unbearable for the rest of the customers. The first cruise, our ship had been recently remodeled which was nice. I had difficulty figuring out how to turn on the hot water for my shower, and it was the quickest shower ever. But we had great fun in the Bahamas and got some great souvenirs.

The 2nd trip was to Mexico. We had a good time there too. Just wish the cruise lines were more honest with the "atmosphere" in Belize outside of the port. (Very sketchy) The water was beautiful and we had a great time. Very good memories. I would recommend Royal Caribbean for the older crowd because if there is an issue, they make no qualms about putting unruly passengers off the ship. Generally speaking, Carnival cruises cater to the younger crowds, which is why we didn't choose them.

Original review: April 13, 2019

My family and I specifically chose the Empress of the Seas for its itinerary - Cozumel, Havana (overnight), and Nassau. After reading some of the reviews on Cruise Critic, I was a bit worried about sailing on this specific ship. No worries! My family and I were presently surprised at the service and how well maintained the ship was. The ship is the smallest in the NCI fleet, which was fine by us! Mega ships are overrated; being on a smaller ship makes it much easier & quicker to learn the layout of the ship and you can walk from one end to the other in 5 minutes!

Excellent dining experience in both the dining room and the Windjammer cafe! Huge selection of foods available...and quality of the food was very good to excellent. Desserts at the buffet were much better than I remember from my past experiences on NCL and Carnival. There were options for beverages at the Windjammer for those who chose not to purchase the pricey drink packages-lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch, water, and coffee. The coffee was much too strong for my taste, but it was decent. Staff on the ship couldn’t have been more helpful-from Deny (our room attendant), to our waiters in the dining room-Valento and Viny, and who can forget the hilarious activities staff who made playing trivia every day a hoot!

Our accommodation was an oceanview stateroom. Yes, the rooms are small, but how much time do you actually spend in your room!?! I don’t know about anyone else, but I go on cruises to spend time in the ports of call, on the sun decks, and at activities, not wasting away in my room!!! Past posts indicate the ship is in poor repair and musty/dirty. I can tell you that I found none of this on the Empress of the Seas. I am a neat freak so I would have definitely noticed these things! No areas of the ship were closed off due to maintenance when we sailed (as I had read in previous posts). The pool and hot tubs were well maintained and were never shut down.

Embarkation and debarkation when stopped at ports of call was quick and painless. I was a tad worried about getting sick on a cruise, given what is publicized in the media so often. The staff went above and beyond to encourage passengers to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before meals to help with the spread of germs. I can tell you as a nurse I sincerely appreciated this! Shout out to Neilbert for greeting us at the Windjammer Café multiple times a day and encouraging us to “washy washy”!!! I would definitely consider traveling on the Empress of the Seas in the future!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Original review: March 31, 2020

Tried to cancel our cruise 33 days in advance. Reason, our daughter has upper respiratory issues and with COVID-19 we could not take that chance.. Thus far they have refused to refund our money. Even after I explained our situation. They won't give me upper management emails or phone numbers. We have been on 6 cruises in 8 years and would NEVER use Royal Caribbean again... Very dishonest company...

Original review: March 30, 2020

RCCL's March 6, 2020 and March 13, 2020 Cancellation Policies. RCCL has left a very bad impression with us by the way they are choosing to handle refunds. On 3/6/2020, RCCL started a new program called "Cruise with Confidence." Many of us finally had an out (due to the coronavirus news) and this was the only option to cancel our cruise. I finally reached a rep on 3/9 only to be informed I needed to contact my agent at Priceline to process the refund. Priceline would deduct a $100 cancellation fee and I would receive a FCC and a refund of a few fees that would appear on our credit card within 5 to 7 business days. 3 weeks later, the only transaction that appeared on our credit card was the $100 cancellation fee from Priceline. Priceline informed me my refund is still being processed and it was never supposed to be 5 to 7 business days but rather up to 90 days.

After cancelling on 3/9/2020, RCCL cancelled our cruise on 3/13/2020 and offered a 125% Future Cruise Credit or full refund. I called back because I would prefer a refund instead of a FCC but was informed I was not eligible since I had already cancelled with the 3/6 cancellation program. Now people like us who cancelled with the 3/6/2020 cancellation policy are forced to take a cruise (or lose our $2000) before 12/2021. This was our first cruise but we do know we will never choose to cruise with RCCL again and will definitely discourage all our family and friends from cruising with them as well.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I was on the phone with Crown & Anchor this morning. I am a Diamond Plus member with two Cruises booked on Royal Caribbean out of Rome in July, which also goes to Spain. Italy has the highest cases of death caused by the Coronavirus. I want to cancel my cruise and have the future cruise credits transferred into my name. I paid for my 20yr Daughter and my sister and do not feel it is fair, that the future cruise credits cannot go in my name. I am the one that paid and booked the cruise. You would think at this time with the cruise industry on pause and the Coronavirus still at large, that Royal Caribbean would make exceptions during these unprecedented times. They refuse to give the future credits to me, and said it can only go to my daughter and sister. I feel that this is very unfair.

Original review: March 27, 2020

NEVER, NEVER would I book again. Impossible to get a refund from Royal Caribbean. I canceled my reservation on 03/13/20 and was told a refund would be credited back to my credited card in 5 days. It’s been more than 2 weeks still haven’t receive anything yet. I was told me and my husband will receive a certificate. Plus they canceled all cruises for 30 days. They are a total rip off.

Original review: March 26, 2020

Our sailing date is scheduled for July 19, 2020. We have paid $3,000 to date, which includes the non-refundable deposit of $500. All costs would have been finalized this month, but I was diagnosed with small cell lung carcinoma. I am scheduled for radiation and chemotherapy during the next several months. With the threat of the Coronavirus, people in our age group are considered "at risk," and have been advised to neither fly nor cruise. Also, I am now considered to have underlying health problems. I am 70 and my travel companion is 72. At time of travel, I will be 71 and my travel companion will be 73. Royal Caribbean wants to give us a credit of $300 toward future sailing to be used by December 2021. It's not guaranteed that I will be here for future sailing. They absolutely refuse to give in. They indicate that they understand, but obviously they do not care. Talking to Kimberly ** gave me no satisfaction.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was founded in 1968 and has since developed two unique destinations, Labadee and CocoCay; it also sails to numerous popular worldwide cruise destinations.

• Adventure Ocean youth program: Adventure Ocean provides kid-friendly activities for babies, tweens and teens.

• Flexible dining experience: Dining options range from casual dining venues to sophisticated meals in the dining hall.

• Onboard casino: Gambling enthusiasts can take a seat at the Roulette table or slot machines while sailing to the next destination.

• Performances: Movie fans can enjoy watching Tony award-winning performances.

• Pre-sailing communication: Guests can take advantage of itinerary updates and online check-in; these updates let them know what is available to cut the wait time and when it's time to board the ship.

• Best for: The Royal Caribbean liner is best for active adults and families.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Company Information

1968
          1080 Caribbean Way
          Miami
          FL
          www.royalcaribbean.com

Get the news you need delivered to you

Sign up to receive our free weekly newsletter. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.

You’re signed up

We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.