2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5
Based on 1,060 ratings submitted in the last year

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

Not really trustable. We cancelled our cruise after they announced we are allowed to do so for a full refund on 23th of March because of covid. They said it takes 6-10 weeks to be refunded and they even asked us for the bank details. If you have seen our money, we have seen it too!!! No one answers what is going on! The company says they don’t know anything as we are working with the agency, the agency says the company does not give them any answer. We have been charged for a service that we never received! Not doing it again and definitely saying to everyone who wants to make the same mistake. Not recommended at all.

Original review: July 28, 2020

After all the absolute nightmare that I have experienced dealing with Royal Caribbean's customer service department, I will never book another cruise with them. I was scheduled to take a cruise with 3 of my friends the week of March 15th, 2020. We became concerned about the safety of the cruise after the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, so we consulted with what the health experts were saying. After the CDC and the State Department both released guidelines telling American tourists not to get on cruise ships, after hearing that all of the ports in the Bahamas had closed, and after seeing several ships be quarantined, we decided to reach out to Royal Caribbean to cancel.

This was the Monday/Tuesday before our cruise was supposed to sail, and I will further note that when we looked at our Sail Passes, we had still had not been assigned a room, which tells me they knew very well that they weren't going to be able to set sail that following Sunday. When we called to cancel, we were told we had to take a Cruise with Confidence certificate good until the end of 2021. Not knowing then how extensive this pandemic would be, we agreed. A few days later, our cruise was cancelled by the cruise line and all of those passengers were offered the choice between a full refund or the Cruise with Confidence program that we were offered. To be clear, the week of my cruise was the first week of cancellations across all cruise lines. Every subsequent week was given the two choices.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I regrouped with my friends, and with the outlook looking grim for travel even next year, not knowing when the vaccine will be ready or when it will be safe to travel, I decided to call Royal Caribbean to see if I could get us a refund on our cruise certificates. I had heard they were giving out full refunds now, and on top of that we are living in extraordinary circumstances, and our cruise was in that first week of cancellations when things were so hectic.

We were hoping to get money back, especially for parts of our group who have been financially impacted by the pandemic, and regroup to reschedule the cruise once we knew for sure things would be safe (we were thinking this would most likely be in 2022). Additionally, we took a look at the cruises on sale for 2021, and most if not all of the cruises are more expensive and prices were climbing. If we were going to use the cruise certificates, which was supposed to help us reschedule seamlessly with no additional cost, we would end up having to put even more money into the cruise on top of what we already spent.

With all of that in mind, when I called I was hoping to speak to a representative or a manager so I could explain our unique situation (since we were in that brief window of time between the guidances being posted and the cruise being cancelled, so we were not afforded the same choices the rest of the passengers were. I was told unceremoniously by the customer service agent that a refund was impossible and that I would not be able to speak to a manager. After I called several times, I was able to get two service requests in and was told I would be speaking to a manager shortly. Instead, the cases were handled by the 'enterprise' customer service team, who also refused to let me speak to a manager or escalate my complaint.

They were very condescending and told me that since I followed CDC and State Department guidelines and did the initial cancellation, I didn't want to cruise badly enough with Royal Caribbean and therefore didn't deserve a full refund of my money. Mind you, my cancellation and the cancellation of the cruise were mere days apart. We are living through extraordinary circumstances, and my situation could only be applicable to a handful of people who had cruises the week of March 15th, 2020. I was told all sorts of things about how impossible a refund would be, even though I have worked extensively in customer service and know that there is always an escalation process and a way to get your money back.

They refused to give email addresses, refused to transfer me to a manager, and insisted that the only thing they could do was give me a generic email where I could give them 'feedback'. What, exactly, does that help anyone with if you are refusing to hear the feedback I am giving you in real time? If you refuse to help your customers, how is giving feedback going to change this situation at all?

I would have been happy to rebook in 2022 or later. If the cruise had sailed after we cancelled, I would have never called customer service at all. However, we're in the midst of an unprecedented pandemic, the cruise was completely cancelled a matter of days after our initial call to Royal Caribbean, and now we are stuck with cruise credits that are not worth the same amount they were because all of the cruise prices have jumped. I normally do not ask for refunds in situations like this, because we all know what we sign up for, but these are unprecedented times and I cannot believe my group is being pushed off all because we chose to follow the federal health guidelines that were posted at this point.

I know that other cruise lines have not given their customers nearly the same amount of grief that I am seeing other people are dealing with, because they know the value of good customer service and keeping their brand name intact. I am still arguing with Royal Caribbean now, and even with all of the reviews, even after all of the calls and trying to get someone to hear our situation, they refuse to listen. I have never in my life dealt with a customer service department that outright refuses to help people, especially in the midst of a pandemic.

In conclusion, after all of these headaches, I will never board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship again, and I am telling every person I know about their utter lack of compassion and understanding during these difficult times. They say that a company's response during COVID-19 is really indicative of their character, and all I have to say is that Royal Caribbean is sorely lacking in it. I will now only cruise with Disney Cruise Lines, because I can expect Disney guest service to go above and beyond to help in any situation possible. I would really caution anyone thinking of going on a cruise after this pandemic is over to think twice before booking a Royal Caribbean cruise, because they are certainly not going to do you any favors, and by the looks of the reviews I am seeing everywhere, they have left a lot of people hanging high and dry when it comes to refunds.

Original review: July 15, 2020

Long story, but bottom line is, that in the middle of a pandemic, they state will credit your deposits but then are keeping the deposits and not given credits. They also put you on hold forever and do not respond directly but put you to their "resource" department. Then they refuse to disclose their employee last names so you can follow up with the right people. If you cruise with them and there is another pandemic or other crisis; you will lose.

Original review: July 8, 2020

Royal Caribbean International Worst customer service ever. With all these COVID-19 issues and the uncertainty of traveling, whether it’s safe or not, you would think Royal Caribbean would be a little bit more helpful. I don’t think I will ever feel safe going on a cruise again, but I am being told that I cannot get my deposit back because I signed up for a nonrefundable trip. How could anyone have known that this was going to happen. Most all other companies out there, are willing to work with people and cancel things and refund because of this pandemic, but not Royal Caribbean. So Horrible. Never again!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I'm just going to give a quick run down of this scenario. I booked a cruise back in January for March 2020. My car broke down along the way, arrived 45 minutes late to the port, but still in time that we could have boarded. Was denied boarding. Seriously...that is the condensed version. My story actually starts in January with trying to book this cruise. Since March I have been trying to get a future cruise credit. I AM NO LONGER interested in a credit. I now want a full refund for the inconvenience, the treatment I received at the dock and the time I've had to invest in getting one of the companies to step up.

I have several emails between myself and Vacations to Go and Royal Caribbean (that is when I can get them to respond) I've just been going in circles. Royal Caribbean tells me I have to go to Vacations to Go because that is who I booked through and paid. Vacations to Go says I have to go through Royal Caribbean because that's who the money went to. Which is it???

The bottom line here is that I paid for a service and thru no fault of my own that service was not rendered. And yes, I have receipts backing that my car broke down. Tell me why you think it's acceptable to keep my money for a service not provided? It's considered THEFT and a fraudulent act. Stop trying to sympathize with me and make it right.

Ty **

Original review: June 22, 2020

Went to book another cruise with Royal Caribbean and this is what happened.. Anyone looking to cruise in the next few years I would highly recommend that you NOT cruise with Royal Caribbean. They are more than anxious to take your deposit but when there’s a global pandemic and all cruises are CANCELLED they will NOT ISSUE ANY REFUNDS... They will only provide credits.... Won’t be sailing with Royal Caribbean any time soon...

I was on the phone for over 3 hours trying to resolve my issue.. and the SUPERVISOR Sarah ** who claims she is a supervisor... continued to talk over me and would not listen to, what I was saying.. She effectively called me a liar to my face and said she would be doing nothing for me... and this was a supervisor? Needless to say their resolution Dept and customer service is absolutely terrible.. Would NOT RECOMMEND THIS CRUSIE LINE EVER.. However I would recommend VIKING CRUISE LINES AS THEY PROVIDED REFUNDS TO ALL PATRONS AFFECTED BY COVID 19. VIKING CRUISE LINES have provided FULL refunds to all patrons affected by Covid 19. ...Now that’s the cruise line I will be cruising with.

Original review: June 20, 2020

We booked a cruise for Aug 2020 with the kids sail free. We told them we had twins in the family, they marked one twin as being born in 2020? And the other birthday was correct. Every name was spelled wrong, the address was wrong. We had to call back 2 times to get everything correct. Because they messed up on the birthday, the kids sail free was only applied to one kid. They said we’d lose the room if they made changes to correct it.

After Covid came as an issue, we emailed to cancel our cruise. They emailed back saying they received our inquiry and it was being looked at. Months later we get an email saying we missed the deadline to pay and there is a $100 cx penalty per person. All of a sudden they didn’t have proof that we canceled. I forwarded the evidence, and the reply was “we still can’t refund you.” Because of Covid, the ship wouldn’t even be sailing... so why wouldn’t we get a refund on the deposit Incompetent workers, unprofessional, terrible customer service. It’s a scam to book. They do not prioritize customer care and only care about money. Not worth booking in the first place.

Original review: June 5, 2020

We were super excited to hop on the Navigator of the seas for a 4 night Bahamas cruise with our teens and other adult family members. Unfortunately, our March 16th booking was canceled due to travel restrictions from COVID-19. Long story short, we will be at 90 days this weekend that our cruise was canceled by the company, not us. We are still waiting for our refund... and you all know how much that could be when you have several passengers and rooms paid for along with drink packages and excursions ALL paid for ahead of time.

Each time we call Royal Caribbean, we are told the same song and story - we need to go through the process, etc., which we have done several times over with each new customer service representative. We ask for a supervisor and are on hold for HOURS. Eventually we are hung up on. This has occurred more than 10 times as we call each week, several times a week. We NEED our money back as well as our other family members who have lost their jobs and have no way to pay their bills except with the money this company is holding.

Personally, after dealing with the nastiness of people over the phone and being hung up on after waiting hours to speak to someone we were told COULD HELP us; I will never do business with them again. We have been told our refund would be expedited and then that it would not be after waiting to hear from a supervisor who promised to call us back after the weekend. This has happened NUMEROUS times! Lies. ALL lies. Royal Caribbean do not follow their own policy and procedures. They have hurt my family.

Original review: May 25, 2020

Wife and I are making our last cruise with Royal Caribbean (RC). We’ve been on numerous RC cruises before but now it’s time to go back to Norwegian. We planned our 2020 “Next Cruise” with RC at the conclusion of our 2019 cruise. Afterward my brother-in-law booked his very first cruise through a travel agent on the IDENTICAL CRUISE in an adjoining cabin and booked for less money with plenty of free promotions. I called RC and they begrudgingly offered a free complimentary speciality dining. Why a travel agent has better pricing and comps is beyond me!

THEN CORONAVIRUS HIT. As we got closer to our sail date we decided to cancel. We got our full cost applied to our next cruise. Twenty four hours later my brother-in-law - who hadn’t cancelled yet - got a email from RC cancelling the cruise and therefore he was getting 100% refund PLUS 25% credit towards next cruise! RC wouldn’t budge with us not one bit. Cancelling early I thought was beneficial to RC since they would know their passenger list better. Horrible public relations/customer service! Other issues: There is no chronological list of running charges and purchases with RC. The website is absolutely horrible. You can sign into your account but you must sign in again to make another purchase - while already in your account. Going back to Norwegian cruises after this! Dave B.

Original review: May 25, 2020

Very disappointed with Royal Caribbean. They have the worst refund policies and will not help customers that are in need of assistance due to this pandemic. We booked a cruise in 2019 sailing on June 27, 2020. Paid $1000 deposit. March rolls around and Covid appears, and it's apparent that cruises will not sail for quite a while. In the interest of not losing our deposit, and unable to pay the remainder of the balance we decided to cancel our sailing in March. At the time the only option was to receive future cruise credits (FCC) equal to 100% of the deposit. They would not give an option to refund the deposit.

We reluctantly took the FCC and were told we would get a confirmation of the cancellation and notice of FCC, which we never received. Recently Royal Caribbean instituted a new policy that now allows refunds or 125% FCC for cancelled sailing through August. We called back to exchange our FCC for a refund but were told that since we cancelled back in March that it not possible. After speaking with 3 resolution specialists and hung up on 5 times, there was no change to our request. It seems highly unprofessional and immoral for Royal to not offer refunds in lieu of the crisis, we are extremely disappointed and WILL NOT use this company, nor recommend any of our colleagues/friends sail with them ever.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Company Information