Based on 110 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: March 15, 2018

646 Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Monica of Coral Springs, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 15, 2018

Booked 6 people for the same cruise and during the reservation process I explained one of them was not sure yet. Booking agent recommended to buy the travel protection plan to get a refund if that was the case. Today I called to cancel the reservation for that person, they said I will only get a refund for taxes, fees, port expenses and a portion of the gratuities - because the protection plan will only cover a full refund if the cancellation is for both people in the stateroom, not one. If they explained this to me, I would've not booked the second person in the first place and needless to say, didn't need to pay additional $58 for the vacation protection plan. I asked to talk to a supervisor and got the same script...

There is a need for additional training on customer service to avoid what it seems like false advertising and expectations on the customer side. The scripted communication doesn't resonate with the explanation given by the booking agent. Just sharing in case you have a similar situation in the future. Even the terms and conditions in the contract is not clear about the difference between canceling for one person in a multiple reservation. There is always room for improvement.

Sharon of Plano, TX Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: March 13, 2018

My first time booking with them for an Alaskan cruise, deposited $1,000. I just received an email saying that my cruise was cancelled and deposit forfeited. The reason was I did not pay the balance on time. I was shock since there was no reminder before the cancellation. I did not mean to cancel my trip and would pay as soon as I was reminded about the due date, which I expect most merchants who value their customers' business would do. After checking with them, they insisted to forfeit my deposit as cancellation fees, and won't apply towards a new booking with the same cruise. The booking process has been a disappointment. If customer service isn't in their priority, I won't choose this cruise line and trust them for a great service on board.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Marilyn of Thornhill, ON Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

We had great service on the Harmony of the Seas. Our waitstaff & room steward were outstanding and the ship was beautiful. We had booked back to back cruises to the Eastern & Western Caribbean. There were far too many sea days. Only 3 ports, including their private island. I have looked into other cruise lines and they offer 10, 12 & 14 day cruises which include many more ports. We will consider using another cruise line next time we cruise. We were on the ship during the Super Bowl. They provided hamburgers, hot dogs & nachos, but were charging $5.00 for chicken wings. Considering that this occurs only once a year and that most people did not have dinner in the dining room, this was a cheap money grab! Also, outside the entertainment venues popcorn was available at a cost of $2.50... Really!!! Another money grab for 3 cents worth of popcorn... very chintzy.

Robert of Anchorage, AK Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Last year my wife and I booked two staterooms for a 12-night cruise this May. We are each stockholders, which should entitle us to a $200 per room onboard credit. However, the company refuses to grant it, because they say we are already getting a $50 per room credit for booking early. Why should this $50 credit preclude our receiving the larger credit we are entitled to? They could remove our $50 credit to give the larger $200 instead. The shipboard agent we booked with told us this credit would be no problem, but couldn't award it until we provided proof of stock ownership. Now that we have, they are reneging on their promise.

Alfred of Aurora, CO Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

First I would like to start this was going to be my first cruise ever and I was talking to a friend who about it and they told me that Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines was a good cruise line so I decided to set up a cruise for my Wife's 50th and my 60th birthday's to celebrate this year. I went online and select what I thought was 7 day Caribbean to Bahamas, St Martin, St Thomas and Kits June 23-30 2018. I input the search for that date and a cruise came up. I chose it and made payment. I received an email and expected to receive the itinerary but I only received payment confirmation. No itinerary on email dated Feb 2 2018.

So I thought it would come later but never did. I tried to inquire the trip on-line to set up shore excursion but could not get in. I sent an email about that on Feb 2 same day as purchase and on Feb 5 still did not get answer. I called and come to find out the system set it up for June 23-30 2019 which I did not want. So I had to pay extra $522 to change the date to June 23-30 2018. OK I paid that. This time I said send me an itinerary. When I received it it was the wrong cruise. Not to Bahamas. Then I call back. They could not fix it. They would have to move it to 16-23 June 2018 but could not get same room.

At this point I was so disappointed because I had hotels set up and airplane tickets bought. Now I would have to pay more to get those changed. So after all this I decided to cancel on Feb 5th and they told me that I would have to pay $750 cancellation fee. I decided to work through my credit card company and ask for full refund for failure to provide expected service. Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines offered zero compensation. Was later contacted by a customer service associate who offered only to let me know if they get a cancellation for the cruise on the wrong dates. They have very bad customer service policies. I would rate them less than one star if the system would let me. Don't use this cruise line.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

barry of Bound Brook, NJ Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Feb. 8, 2018 We had to pay full fare $1,200 for our son 1year old. He didnt eat as much as a full passenger. We were never advised that he was not able to use any of the pools. Had we known this we would not have booked the cruise. We spent probably around $14,000 for the rooms and wedding and gratuities. That is not including what my friends also spent on their cruise. All childcare/sitting services were charged for. There was nothing included despite that there was
nothing directly for him to do on his own or participate in. All sitting services were very limited and at inconvenient times. The times were 9am to 12noon then 7pm to midnight. So, to have a 530pm to 6pm seating for dinner meant we couldnt really drop him off. If we scheduled dinner later 7pm and after it caused

issues as the dining room "the Gatsby" would not be able to serve us appetizers and starters only main courses.

Then due to all the illnesses on board the ship they took away all the toys in the nursery. This meant that he only got to be held and handled by the staff and not able to play with any toys. The boarding process was very slow and delayed and took us about 3 hours to get on board the ship. We were a party of 7 together; as our 2 friends had handicap issues, so they were boarded immediately even before the time that was emailed to us saying we could not board until about an

Hour after the original time. We arrived at the terminal at 12:30pm and was not able to board till 3:30pm then we were told we had to go directly to the muster station for briefing. At the muster station we were never given bands for our children that were 9 and 10 years old. We found this out 2 days later that they should have bands to id them.

They never gave us youngster and infant (1yr old) life preservers until we requested it, even though all our ages were a requirement for our pre-boarding which did nothing to increase the speed of our boarding the ship. The itinerary of the cruise was what attracted us to the cruise. We were supposed to go to Cococay

which we were planning on doing some beach stuff including some snorkeling, that part of the trip was cancelled and we stayed another day at Nassau, which was unplanned. The itinerary of the cruise changed once again due to problems with the steering equipment. This caused the ship to be once again delayed. The 10 day cruise became a 12 day cruise.

This was an inconvenience and caused me to miss days at work. With a family of 7 to get back home it was not convenient to accept other transportation from Port Canaveral to the airport with the 7 of us, 5 of which are children and being our 1st cruise we way overpacked and it would have been a major hardship for us to do anything but get off the ship in Baltimore and pack up our car. So you can see how much we overpacked, the inside of our car was packed, and we had stuff tied to the roof. In addition, our children had to miss 1 additional day of school, and our 1 year old missed 1 day more of his daycare which we pay for regardless of whether he attends or not.

The ship was very rocky and there was a lot of motion of the ship. We didnt exactly have a great Honeymoon as the ship was rocking so bad on the 1st few days and even continued throughout Most of the cruise. The ocean was so bad and the small size of the ship caused us to be tossed Into the walls as we walked to our staterooms. Our 1 year old could not even navigate the room As the ship would sway so badly during most of the cruise. Our 9 year and 10 year old sons both got rashes from the pool. Most of the time the amenities were closed. The rock wall and pools were closed for the majority of the Cruise. Illness. As soon as the cruise started the severe motion made a lot of us not feel very well. This caused us to spend a lot of time in bed instead of doing other things around the ship, even though the amount of stuff to do was very limited.

Our son Pawel was the 1st to be affected and afflicted by the gastrointestinal bacteria that would soon take over in the ship. Over the next few days most of us in our party of 9 would be affected by the bacteria. The 1st time that we utilized the childcare service to go out on our specialty restaurant romantic dinner, that was part of our wedding package, it was cut short by the beeper going off and the child care service telling us that our 1 year old had vomited. He vomited a few times later that night with us, then took 12hrs to get back onto food. After he vomited at the nursery We had to go pick him up and our romantic evening was stopped and dampened.

I also was one of our party affected by the Gastrointestinal bacteria and from experience I can tell you that after I got it the rest of the cruise was not fun for me, my stomach was never the same till after we got home so the majority of the cruise my appetite was off and I could not eat and enjoy the food on the cruise as much as I would have liked. My wife 2 days before the end of the cruise was affected by the gastrointestinal bacteria and this ruined her cruise experience along with the severe motion of the ship from the start. The gastrointestinal bacteria caused the staff to have to handle all food and drink and silverware and plates and made it for a very uncomfortable experience as all of the door and railing and grips were always wet and with the ship swaying you always had to touch the wet grips/railings, even the elevator buttons were wet all the time. This whole experience was very uncomfortable.

Due to the large party of 9 and this intestinal bacteria that plagued the ship and affected a number of us in our party we were not able to leave the ship for many of the ports. We were unable to go into Charleston as Pawel was sick then. Only 3 of us was able to go into Freeport and get off the ship and we only left the ship in Nassau for a few hours forcing ourselves to go out into the town, the next day the ship cancelled going to Cococay and stayed in Nassau but most of us were sick with Gastrointestinal problems and we all spent the day in the rooms sleeping it off. It was not the honeymoon/family vacation that we intended on taking. With all the money we spent our experiences should have been much better.

We couldnt even eat and enjoy our Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries that were included in our wedding package, the $2000 Intimately Yours package, or our romantic private dinner for 2 that was stopped short due to the gastrointestinal bacteria that plagued the ship. The ship was not very kid friendly as it was portrayed, more of an adult cruise, as the indoor pool had an age restriction and the outdoor pool was closed most of the time and either way we could not take our 1 year old into the pool only the small shower to get wet with water. I think that there should be some substantial reimbursement to make up for the horrible experience that we all had to endure. My wife said that she would never go on the Grandeur of the Seas again. It was a very bad 1st cruise experience. This was a very unenjoyable experience for all of our party.

Lilia of Epping, Other Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

We had great time at the ship, but the problems started after we arrived to our final destination Sydney. The suitcases were packed in groups, we found ours and left. At the port was very crowded and there was no space to carefully check the luggage. We found at home that one suitcase had crack on the bottom, near the wheels. We contacted RB, but they refused to pay as we did not reported the damage at the port. They dismissed the explanation that the suitcases were standing on their wheels at the port and there was no chance to see the damage unless you lay the suitcase on the floor. However, there were no space to lay the suitcase on the floor, so it was Catch 22 situation. The suitcase is Samsonite, plastic, so our cruise suddenly become much more expensive. Really disappointed of RC response!

Julie of Alta Loma, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The port selections have been great, the food very good. I especially enjoyed having raspberries for breakfast with my entrees! The staff is friendly and helpful and I didn't feel a ripple on the ship!

Miriam of Indianapolis, IN Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

We book a cruise to Cuba back in May 2017. We received an email in December 2017 stating that our excursion was cancelled because they had to changed our ship. Our excursion was $49 per person. Royal advised us to go back in and rebook the excursion. When we went back in to rebook, the excursion was $89 per person. I called and was told that there was nothing they can do about the price. My husband and I are not happy simply because the cancellations and changing ships was not our fault. Therefore, RC should honor the original price. We will not book any excursion and this will be our last Royal Caribbean Cruise. We will continue to stick with Carnival because our experience with them has always been pleasant.

L. V. of South Padre Island, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

If you are trying to go to the Caymans, it's at your own risk, because that port is often not visited due to weather. That is not in their brochures. If you don't care about visiting ports, it doesn't matter. This is my experience. We spent five days of a seven day trip on the boat after departing six hours late and waiting to get into our room another two hours. Some people had to wait even longer. They paid us each $25 for that delay.

A of S.M., CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

We cruised with RCL 4 times. 2 times had problems. That is 50% fail rate!!! This was the dirty water that we showered and I dipped toothbrush in this water and put in mouth. RCL employee explained it is as if a normal and unavoidable thing. I don't accept your apology and compensation because of your attitude. He said that it was iron deposit. Download high resolution photo from these 2 links to see if the fluffy things were iron deposit or something else 1. 2. Customers who cancel shore excursion less than 48 hrs arriving port will have penalty. RCL canceled our excursion less than 24 hrs not because of weather reason but because of profit reason without considering the impact on customer.

That was the excursion that my kids were excited about. We will have to reroute future cruises to that port. RCL, guess what cruise line names are on considering list? Not you!!! We are scared to be cancelled by you one more time. Other cruise lines probably have the same terms & conditions but you was the first one that crushed my kids vacation excitement that could be prevented by proposed alternative solution that you still could make/lose little profit. The worst part is your employee attitude when they canceled excursion and we complained.

Kenneth of Harper Woods, MI Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I had to disembark the ship 4 days early for a family medical emergency. The company didn't credit my account for unused activities. After a month, they said they would credit the account $420.38 but it would take 15 days for that to happen. Avoid this company as they will rip you off! I will never sail Royal Caribbean again regardless of my Cruise Reward status. They have lost my business and I will tell everyone of the EXTREMELY NEGATIVE experience with this company!

Moysey of Hollywood, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My wife and I decided to spend the New Year on a cruise. This is not our first cruise, and we usually like to spend time like this. This time we chose Freedom of the Sea. First disappointment, the team did not meet guests with champagne. Usually it was on all cruises. So there was no organized meeting and farewell with the captain and the team. The food in the restaurant was not bad, but the monotonous. I usually like to spend time in the steam room or in the sauna, but here also was my disappointment. The temperature in the sauna was constantly very low.

I applied several times to the service, but nothing changed. But the most unpleasant thing in this trip was the toilet in our cabin. Our cruise lasted 6 days. 4 and a half days it did not work, which caused us great discomfort. The toilet was tried to fixed several times, but all without result. Only the day before arriving at the port it was corrected. So our vacation was spoiled. And we do not know if we want to travel again with your company and recommend to our friends.

Carolyn of Mesquite, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

My family took a cruise in December 2017 out of Galveston. Prior to the trip I called the office to find out about activities for teenagers and got VERY scattered information. That should have told me to go with Carnival BUT I wanted to try a new cruise line. I purchased 2 internet packages for my teens. When I arrived in Galveston I received 2 cards with instructions on how to connect to the ship Wi-Fi.

After one day on the cruise I received a text from my cellular company that I was over in my international package. This was strange since I was on the ship wifi. I talked to the representative on the ship and they informed my that my phones need to be in airplane mode. I asked why wasn't this listed on the card I received. Reply "that's just how they are printed". I am not a regular cruiser and some may be aware of the fact that phones need to be in airplane mode I wasn't and feel that RC should take some responsibility to the fact that this should be on the instruction card. When I fly they tell you when to turn on the mode and when to turn it off. When I travel out of country I do not normally put my phone in airplane mode.

Does RC feel that there are no first time cruisers and everyone should know this information! They are accepting NO responsibility in this matter and I have a $400 overage on my cellular bill. I called the office of the president of RC and they accept no responsibility. The activities for teenagers are NULL and void. NOTHING in the teen room. They were playing card. The bathrooms on our floor flooded. Had to walk around blowers, blowing smelly air for a day. I AM A TRAVEL AGENT AND WILL NEVER RECOMMEND RC.

Bev of Raleigh, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

In mid-December, my sister and I took a 5-night cruise on Navigator of the Seas. Excellent food and on-board entertainment. Ship was awesome. Our waiters and stateroom attendant were exceptional. Two flies in the ointment: 1) RC's website is horrible. Unintuitive, clunky, slow. If you need help navigating it, call during business hours. I never received competent help after hours. 2) We used Costco Travel's partner Shore Excursions LLC. Never again. Missed a Cozumel excursion because it departed too close to the ship's docking time. The cab ride to catch the tour took too long. Shore Excursions wouldn't consider a refund.

Paula of Suffolk, VA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I left my iPad Pro on the Independence of the Sea on December 11, 2017. When I arrived at the airport I emailed the Diamond concierge and she immediately replied that the IPad was found in my cabin and that it was turned into Guest Relations. It is almost 1 month later and I can not get the iPad back. My last update is that the iPad was sent to Tampa. This is a work computer. I Have written corporate with no response. I filled out the proper paperwork with who periodically emails me to say They haven’t found it. I have talked to customer service several time. Requested to talk to management, which took 8 days to return my telephone call and was of little to no help. This is by far the worse case of customer service. I would understand if the iPad was actually lost but it was found the day I left the ship.

Dawn of Riverside, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

So we are currently in a 7 day out of San Juan on RC. This is our 5th cruise out of San Juan for New Year's, 4th with RC. Clearly there were lots of open rooms and RC offered discounted rates to those living in Puerto Rico. Let me preface I have vacationed and stayed in PR many times and never had a problem. This had been different, very rude group of people from PR on the ship. Will not move in the elevator when you try to get off. Pretend to not know English when you say excuse me. Loud yelling instead of talking constantly and cutting in line. RC is going to lose money on this decision. The few of us on the boat spending money in drink packages, excursions, and specialty dinner will never cruise out of San Juan again and may even rethink RC altogether. Crew has even said they are making no money on this group. Clearly not the vacation we looked forward to.

Lara of Great Neck, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I enjoyed my cruise experience overall. Ahmet, the dining room manager made sure to provide specialty vegan dishes for my daughter. The dinner food was delicious. My teenage son loved the 15-17 year old Teen club and activities. The pianist was super talented and we loved the Beatles tribute as well as the comedy shows.

However, the housekeeper did not do a thorough job cleaning up the rooms and bathrooms. She basically did a touch up. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t super clean. I often had to call housekeeping to ask why she never made up my room all morning after returning to my room in the afternoon. I could deal with that but what bothered me most of all is that we booked an excursion through Royal Caribbean to Pearl Island with lunch for a party of 5 which cost almost $500, and it was far from impressive.

The company representative picked us up 30 minutes late, lunch was buffet style and if you arrive 10 minutes after the designated time for lunch it was all gone. We would have to wait 30 minutes for them to prepare more food. There were only 2 kayaks available for 150-200 guests. Some chairs were broken. We left after 2 hours and Yilly, the shore excursion manager refused to compensate us financially. She would not even hear me out. She was hostile and had an aggressive attitude. VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Mercedes of Hialeah Gardens, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My husband and I we took a Christmas cruise 12/21 -12/30 with Independence of the Seas, this has been our worst experience of all, we have travel previously 10 times with any others companies including Royal Caribbean; my husband got sick with a gastrointestinal illness for 3 days, he felt extremely bad even with medications. I will mention in addition that the poor quality of the fruit, during the 10 days of trajectory we never ate a ripe fruit, the espresso coffee always delicious in any other previous cruise was terrible!!! The buffet restaurant closes at 9:00 pm, leaving 2 places where to eat with very limited options, one of the shows the skating had an additional payment fee. The food at the restaurant was not as expected.

Emilia of Naples, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Please be aware that the items purchased at the cruise lines are cheap and non-refundable items. But above all don't purchase any so call fine or expensive jewelry, they are not backed up with a certificate of authenticity even though they promise to deliver to your stateroom (will never happen) and you end up with fake jewelry not worth the price. If you need sizing or repair they tell you that they have places where you can take them to be fixed but that is not true. You have to ship them to who knows were.

I tried to return the merchandise on the arrival day and they kept me waiting for almost 2 hrs with vain excuses based on managers not available or that it will take more than a hour for the returning process, they are very well trained, they know that the majority of passengers have to catch a flight back home or they have transportation arrangements that will make people anxious and easily give up so they end up taking the merchandise with them. No choice. Food in the main dining is boring and repetitive. Activities are mainly concentrated on dancing and drinking. I am still waiting for someone to help me to refund the merchandise but they are giving me the runaround technique.

SONYA of Miami, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

My husband got ill on Royal Caribbean Cruise and they will not make right on it. He was quarantine from Wednesday to Saturday to midnight. Well my honeymoon started out great. We sailed on Sunday and Monday. On Tuesday we made our first stop in Labadee Haiti, everything was great until my husband ate the food. He was fine until the next morning and his stomach was swollen as if he was 9 months pregnant. He had diarrhea so bad that I had to go down and cancel the excursion that we had planned for the day. During the day I went down to medical a purchased some ** from the vending machine and that did not work either. I called medical around 7:50 and the nurse on duty advised me to bring him down. He was seen by the doctor and given 2mg tablets of ** and ** 10ml every 8 hours for abdominal cramps, and was told that he would be on quarantine for the next 24 hours.

At 8am the next morning the nurse telephoned and asked my husband if he still had diarrhea and he told her yes. She advised him that it should have stopped by now and to continue to take the medicine, and he would remain on quarantine. He never got any better, I had to call back by 4 in the afternoon and they had me to bring him back down to medical. Once we got there they gave him an IV and took blood, the blood work came back that there was no infection and he was sent back to the room with me with the IV needle in his arm and more 2mg of **. On Friday he was still sick and we returned to medical to have the IV needle removed and at this time my husband demanded that he be given something stronger, or he was not leaving medical because the medicines that he had been given was not working. They finally decided to give him ** to take 1 tab every 4 hours and an antibiotics ** 500 mg every 12 hours.

And to our surprise just by taking one pill the diarrhea had stopped within 6 hours. But of course my husband had to remain on quarantine until midnight Saturday night and the ship docked in Ft. Lauderdale at 6:15am Sunday. The sad part is my husband put my name of the sheet that I am the person that he has been around and the nurse asked me if I had any symptoms and I told her yes and she never said a word. All the while he was on quarantine, I walked him down the hall, into the elevator and sat with him around other people while he was on quarantine. On Saturday night I returned to medical and requested a copy of my husband medical records and the nurse made it her business to let me know that the doctor said his medical care was complimentary. I replied to her, "No need. We have insurance."

This is my honeymoon, I just married this man on October 7, 2017 and Royal Caribbean actually expected me to leave my husband in a room and run all around a ship and different island when I was already not comfortable with the level of care he was receiving. Royal Caribbean treated me as if I was no one. They gave my husband a 3 day cruise voucher and told me they would only give me 5% towards another cruise. Once I advised them that I was not happy with that resolution, they told me it was my entire fault that I could have left him on the ship and he would have been fine and enjoyed the cruise.

BOTTOM LINE ROYAL CARIBBEAN RUINED MY HONEYMOON AND DO NOT WANT TO MAKE GOOD ON IT!!! The sad part is I only travel Royal and to be treated this way is an outrage!!! The cruise dates were from October 8-15. I paid a total of $2179.62 for the cruise. Give me my money and I will never step a foot on your cruise ship again!!!

Roberto of So Paulo, Other Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

We try all xdentgro channels of the ship, but the officials do not have autonomy on the system. At the port of Miami, at check-in, they exchanged my photo with the photo of my 13-year-old son. When we arrived on the ship, I could no longer consume any drink. I faced inside the ship many queues and every day... queues. At the outing for tours (Cozumel) we were hindered. My photo was changed. We suffer interrogation for security (where it goes, not... back... rises in the cabin, picks up passport. Its son too, goes, passport). A horror. They took new photos... several. Dinners without wine. No champagne. Nothing. Several days with 3 beers. Thanks to some good official!

Myself, my wife and three (3) children. She did not want to have dinner anymore. We discussed. I went down alone. My deck 10 (suite 1578) super luxury. (great). I asked for another suite. I was taken care of. The very kind and polite (Filipino) security chief took pictures again. He turned on the security devices at night (10:00 pm).

Made new card Royal C. I was happy to lobby 5 deck and ordered a beer (new card). It was much worse. This gentleman BLOCKED MY CARD AGAIN! I was compared as an alcoholic. 5 days... and a glass of wine (thanks to friends). We spend a lot of money, and in the Mexican cities where the ship stops, it's a horror. The Mexican people were polite and gentle. Wonderful people, but it is not possible, three (3) ships land 12,000 thousand people, and they have some buses and taxis and vans. However, to get people fast and in large numbers, they need to run a lot, with old vehicles and on roads that are not signposted and bumpy.

They are great people, but their work is very large, and there are several ships. The sad accident that victimized American brothers, is of RESPONSIBILITY of ROYAL CARIBBEAN, because the volume of people is very great, and that they end up being "CLEARED" in a village!!! The beaches are beautiful. The deck of complaints on deck 5 of the ship is always crowded and queued. I have photos of the people in line. Many people are old. They could put armchairs and distribute passwords. I have a lot more to report, but I do not want to take any more of your time. I thank everyone.

Luis of New York, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Booked 2 rooms about 6 months in advance. Everything paid for. Almost $5000 spent. I called to have 2 names changed since the original parties are not able to go... So Royal Caribbean representative advised that I am only able to switch out one name... Then the second person to be switched. I have to cancel the room in which they will credit me $400 in which I’m losing $2000 as a cancellation fee and rebook the same room under the 2 new names and pay another $2000 plus dollars. So for the same room I'm paying almost $5000 for... How is this legal?

Queenie of Kogarah, Other Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Meh. I really had higher expectations but to me it had no real difference to P&O besides the size. The food was ok and good sometimes other times not. And it was quite old. The last day was pretty bad as the luggage person promised we would be able to get it at 1am then they didnt take it so we had to lug it down ourselves. Also when we left 'tips' - money in our room/envelope which I just so psychically guessed that's what it was it was taken away so quickly that it was scary. I still got sick on the cruise a bit. The photo result was good because I made better choices but the flash kept not working and black all over so had to retake which was difficult for me.

There were actually some rude staff who were physical and abusive to me and my mother - the passengers were even worse most times. Even had one staff who kind of fell in love with me which was ok at first but was later creepy - borderline harassive and physical. Kept touching and lightly hitting me (why) and kept calling to my cabin's phone but odd because we couldn't hear speakerphone for them but when other cabins called me we could. She later came to my room then insulting me wtf... Because of her we didn't get to eat lunch at the better restaurant and also missed ordering the next morning breakfast of which was missed being brought to us anyway – we were such easy passengers – we didn’t even use room service.

It's confusing saying it's free then saying 7.95$ - and there was no real perks even tho I was a celebrity superstar and would bring publicity for them - which they may or may not have seen when I wrote on a piece of paper but I told this girl and she said no maybe she was scared. Just my luck everything broke – the USB wire thing to my phone and tripod leg and everything – maybe it was to do with their bad electronics and yes the boat shaking around.

Warren of Penrith South, Other Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Warning. Future cruises deposits paid for on board are nonrefundable and non exchangeable, if you want to cancel the cruise later. I lost $800 deposit, which Royal Caribbean were not prepared to refund or move to a different cruise. I'm not sure if this is common in the cruise industry.

Juli of Dayton, MN Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We haven't even been on our cruise yet but I already know I will never book with RC again. As I was booking it, I spoke with knowledgeable easy-to-understand people every time I called. This is our first cruise and I had lot of questions. Once I was booked and called to ask questions, I spoke with rude, hard-to-understand people that had no idea how to help. I would hang up and try another person, just to have the same problems. The website is huge and hard to navigate. I would copy-paste my reservation number, but half the time it told me it was a bad number and I'd have to call to get access. I'm really crossing my fingers that the actual trip is better than the phone experiences have been! :'(

Diane of Hilton Head Island, SC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

We booked a trip with Choice Air (which is owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises). This agency can only be used when you have a cruise booked with RCCL or their subsidiaries. I agreed to a price (nonrefundable and not changeable ticket) months before our cruise because I thought that they would have better than competitive rates. Well for one they DO NOT; and two, they charged me a $15 fee without telling me that the cost of my tickets had this $15 fee in it. I only found out when I pulled up the Delta ticket information on Delta site. I called Choice Air and they were unsympathetic and unapologetic. I would think that this practice is against a consumer law. I would not use them again and I would tell anyone thinking of booking through them to wait (if you have months left to actually use the ticket). This Delta flight that is advertised now is cheaper than Choice Air and I would not have to pay the $15 fee to boot. Stay away from them.

James of Kensington, Other Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 29, 2017 Boycott this cruise line for discriminating against the disabled. Royal Caribbean Cruises employ idiots from Guatemala who cannot speak English & give out false information. One such idiot told me earlier this year 2017 that Royal Caribbean Cruises do not allow service dogs on board their ships to travel with their disabled owners because it was against the cruise lines health and safety regulations & they had no place on the ships for the dogs to go to the toilet! I had never traveled overseas with my dog before and as such believed him. I had to place the dog in a boarding kennel at a cost of $36 per day. My dog is still in the boarding kennel as I cannot afford to have him flown overseas to me.

At the time of writing this review being November 29, 2017 my dog boarding fees have exceeded $8000. I discovered that the information that Royal Caribbean Cruises lines gave me was false when someone on Facebook told me that by law they must allow service dogs on their ships. With this information I contacted their management staff and asked why they had lied to me about allowing my service dog to come with me on the cruise. They sent me back an email apologizing for the "misinformation" as they called it and for all the distress and inconvenience that the cruise line had caused me. When I asked them to pay for the dogs boarding fees and airfare to be transported to me they very selfishly said that the best they could do was offer me $100 in credit towards my next cruise. I was flabbergasted to say the least.

I've had an attorney send them a letter as well as the human rights organizations send them emails however this absolute bastard of a cruise line has chosen to ignore all correspondence. My attorney said that they couldn't care less about their passengers as he witnesses this sort of arrogant behavior from them on a weekly basis from the numerous complaints that passengers submit about Royal Caribbean's illegal and unprofessional conduct. Given that these assholes like to ignore their paying passengers after lying to them and costing them more than the stinking cruise in boarding fees for a service dog I thought it would be fitting to return the favor and build them a website where I can tell my story to thousands of potential Royal Caribbean Cruise customers.

I am also sending out bulk emails and newsletters to every Pet Store & Veterinary Surgery and Dog Pound that I can find advising them about the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line denying a service dog on board their ship and taking up a petition where potential and previous passengers can boycott the cruise line and let them know that they too would never sail with a company that discriminates against the disabled and their service dog. See the site and sign the petition on my form at

Lindsay of Cape Coral, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Customer Service is horrible! Called to add people to our upcoming cruise, instead my call turned into us canceling with Royal Caribbean and going to Norwegian Cruise Lines. Also our family was “Diamond”.

Joe of Hackensack, NJ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

So we cruised out of Bayonne, NJ on November 4, 2017 aboard Anthem of The Seas. First the ship is far too large with far too many passengers which was understaffed by a group of employees from 65 different countries and they work so hard. How many times did we need to be reminded! After we had boarded, we ventured up to deck 14 to the Windjammer buffet. Nothing special, it was so crowded, passengers were eating at tables that had not been bussed, nor cleaned. No wonder there were so many cases of Norovirus. Both unreported and reported, if you report a case of the virus, you will be quarantined for 24 hours in your cabin. So pleasant to get sick on your vacation, that by the way you took vacation time off and the cost of the cruise, in addition to all the greedy extras. It is best to purchase you beverage packages onboard the ship for obvious reasons.

The food in the Windjammer was just okay, nothing special. It reminded us of people that love buffets, eat, eat, and eat more. Never enough. The Cafe Promenade serves a Hot Beverages, but please do not expect to get your Hot Beverage served in a cardboard cup with a plastic lid and sleeve. Rather it is served in a ceramic mug, no lid, so that you can accidentally spill your hot beverage on a fellow passenger. Yes, passengers take their coffee up many decks in the elevators and yes I was burned on my leg in the elevator by a fellow passenger.

RCCL, oh my... their only concern is money, all about greed. Why do we as customers pay months in advance for a RCCL cruise? So we can all can screwed! Never again would we ever cruise on RCCL! It is nothing but a rip off. So I had asked for skim milk for our coffee, I was told I could go to deck 14, the Windjammer buffet to get some. Such great service! They basically stink. When I asked the attendant in the Cafe for a takeaway cup for our hot beverage, I was told, go to Starbucks across the way, they have takeaway cups. Great service again!

Going to the pools on deck 14, do you like sitting arm to arm on the pool deck, well be prepared. It looked like an orgy of guests in bathing suits, even the fat men with their big bellies were having a belly flop contest! Really nice, such class. They were getting their money's worth with their beverage package. The Grand on deck 3 serves breakfast from 8am to 9:30am... a big 90 minutes for either a small buffet or order from the menu. Beware, there are long lines to get a table, you will be asked if you want to sit with a stranger or strangers. Not much attention to detail, I was served a mug of coffee with lipstick on the rim and down the side. My apologies sir, he must have been blind.

We were seated at 9:20am and shortly thereafter, even though the dining room was crowded, the buffett was being taken away, because they are so busy with so many guests, they need time to setup for lunch at 11:30am. Who is really on vacation, who is the guest? The Chic dining room, the main dining room was okay. Food throughout the ship all tasted the same. Again nothing special. We had a dinner reservation at 5:30pm every day, same two tables. The head waiter, waiter and asst. waiter were nice. They did try, maybe too hard.

What was so damn annoying is midway through the dinner, the parade of the staff throughout the dining room, loud music and the typical hype of oh they work so hard... setting up for those tips. I do not need to be reminded about tips and I dislike having my dinner interrupted by a parade of waiters. Really, are you kidding me! It wreaks of being cheesy and cheap. Garnishes for my gin and tonic like a lime, well that was not available because of the risk of a virus. Really? More stupidity. Be ready for the OTT of Purell, well it is just a band-aid for washing your hands and fingers with warm soapy water. Makes sense, not on RCCL... it just looks good to the CDC and US Coast Guard.

The Royals Casino save your money, the slots do not pay, better off at roulette if you want to lose your money in an honorable way. What is interesting is that the ship's registry is Nassau, Bahamas. I wonder why? Casino gaming in terms of payouts do not apply, and what about wage and hour laws, employees working 16 hours+ in a day? Guest Services, they are a bunch of wannabe agents, attending to more long lines of dissatisfied guests. RCCL reminds me of the other rip off The Atlantis, you prepay months in advance and are basically screwed. RCCL does not care about its guests and it showed time and again. The excursion to Kennedy Space Center was a waste of money. The park opens at approximately 9am, but we did not arrive until 1:30pm and the park closed at 6 pm but we had to be back at the bus at 5:45 pm. You do the math. Great park, not enough time.

RCCL said on our itinerary screen on our TV that we had until 6:45pm, a lie. Coco Cay, you do not need a tender ticket, RCCL never tells its guests this minor detail. RCCL would rather have its guests stand in long lines for hours to obtain a tender ticket that you do not need to leave the ship. If you need an umbrella, it will cost you $25. I would skip Coco Cay, nothing but 5,000 people packed on a small dirty beach. It is all about the money with RCCL.

Our Nassau stop was the best, we did our own excursion. We got a Hilton Resort Day Pass, and enjoyed a lovely fresh grilled fish lunch, the pool was lovely and the beach too. It is within walking distance of the port, safe, etc... 15 minutes or so. If you like a flea market scene, then visit the Promenade on deck 5. Some dopey guy saying no touchy a million times over. Watches, hats, shirts, all wreaks of cheesy nonsense. And how about an art auction? We could not wait to get off the ship, it was the single most disappointing vacation in my 60 years of life. And RCCL does not care, all they do is apologize. BFD! Never again!

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was founded in 1968 and has since developed two unique destinations, Labadee and CocoCay; it also sails to numerous popular worldwide cruise destinations.

• Adventure Ocean youth program: Adventure Ocean provides kid-friendly activities for babies, tweens and teens.

• Flexible dining experience: Dining options range from casual dining venues to sophisticated meals in the dining hall.

• Onboard casino: Gambling enthusiasts can take a seat at the Roulette table or slot machines while sailing to the next destination.

• Performances: Movie fans can enjoy watching Tony award-winning performances.

• Pre-sailing communication: Guests can take advantage of itinerary updates and online check-in; these updates let them know what is available to cut the wait time and when it's time to board the ship.

• Best for: The Royal Caribbean liner is best for active adults and families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Company Information

1080 Caribbean Way

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Let's talk

ConsumerAffairs ranks 562 on Inc. 5000 for 2017

Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.

The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.