1.52/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

602 Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

We are very unhappy with Royal Caribbean's policy and customer service. Last year we book a cruise to include St. Martin, Haiti and San Juan. Because of the recent hurricane devastation the destinations have been changed to Nassau, Cozumel and Puerto Costa Maya. I understand the need to change destinations but just last year we visited these ports. RCCL has a policy that ports can change but shouldn't a customer also be provided options particularly because of these storms? Talking with RCCL customer service was useless and they were certainly unsympathetic to our situation. Like many of those complaining this will be my final and last cruise on RCCL.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

No one at Royal Caribbean Corporate office is compassionate about people's situations and don't care what effects the hurricane has on being able to travel to and from the cruise port. In my case, my hotels, flights and everything else got canceled for Puerto Rico and Royal just said "Tough Luck, I'm still taking 50% of your fare". I'm never sailing with Royal again, you'd think they could make exceptions with the billions of dollars they make a year.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We are scheduled to sail out of San Juan on 10/14/17, but due to of hurricane Maria, we tried cancelling the cruise and had no success. We were suppose to fly to PR several days prior to spend time with family and due to devastation in PR, we will not be able to do so. Our cruise itinerary changed several times and we are now going to be staying at the airport because there are no hotels available at this time. We were told by the travel agent that if we tried rescheduling flights for the same day of the cruise that our flights may get cancelled/miss our boat. We purchased insurance for this trip and unfortunately, it’s not worth it, as it doesn't cover natural disasters etc. unless Royal Caribbean makes that call to cancel the trip. We are their mercy, if we cancel the trip, we lose money, if they cancel then you get a full refund.

We also booked a hotel through Expedia (Vistas de San Juan) to find out that the place did not have electricity or running water like the Expedia representative told us. We called our credit card company to dispute those charges due to false information and our bank will be working diligently with us to have charges removed. I am originally from Puerto Rico, I was born there but raised in New York State. This crisis that happening there and surrounding islands break my heart.

We have had mixed feelings from the start to travel/go on a cruise because it hits close to home. But we will not give Royal Caribbean the satisfaction of keeping any of our hard earned money. This whole situation has been extremely stressful. I know that there will be others that are going through similar experiences, and will be joining us at the airport with no place to go until the day of the cruise, but I am hoping things get better going forward. I was hoping for a cancellation from Royal Caribbean, but in this day and age the mighty dollar rules.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I am writing this to you to express my disappointment with Royal Caribbean passenger service support; and to ask for you to consider adding certain complementary services. We are sailing on the Anthem of the Sea, departing from Cape Liberty on Jan. 7 – Jan. 19, 2019 or similar (Bayonne) NJ; Reservation ID. This is to be our first cruise with Royal Caribbean; however, I have made many voyages on Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) and am a Latitudes Gold member. When making the reservation directly with Norwegian Caribbean client services, I was told that should there be any verified competitive offers prior to my departure, Royal Caribbean would compensate me with the same or similar complemental package. Little did I expect that your representatives would not honor that consignment.

I reserved a balcony stateroom for two at $3364.24 USD, first passenger at full price and the second passenger paying one half price. NO Cruise Discounts, NO Specials, NO onboard credit, just the cabin. However the Business organization, Cruise Only which represents other cruise consultants advertises on the Internet, “Experience the Anthem of the Sea in January cruise and receive (1) Book a Balcony and receive complimentary pre-paid gratuities (2) Up to $225 USD on-board credit (3) Balcony from $1267 USD” (versus RC where I paid $1449 USD, and ½ price for the second passenger). When compared to the other competitive advertised prices, booking directly with Royal Caribbean I received no “Specials“, no fare reduction, and for the cabin paid an additional $182 for one passenger plus $91 USD for the second passenger, all for the “privilege” of booking directly with Royal Caribbean.

When I asked passenger service for the “competitive specials” which we discussed, I was told by your client services representatives, Stephen and Brian, and Manager Samantha that Cruise Only purchases tickets at a reduced rate and therefore only they can run the specials - Royal Caribbean can’t. That just does not make sense. That is like saying one can buy an item cheaper from a retailer than from a manufacturer. Finally, we are both Senior Citizens and I am a Military Veteran. When I asked for the advertised reduced cabin cost that I read about on your Internet posting, I was told the half price on Balcony Cabin was a better discount, so therefore there was no additional rate reduction since only one was allowed.

Mr. Bayley, it did not state that on your Internet advertisements. I informed the same customer service reps that ALL cruise lines offer half price for the second occupant, therefore their offer was NOTHING “Special”. They did a lot of apologizing; however they did not appear to be sincere and caring nor willing to work with us. This uncompromising attitude will not foster goodwill or customer loyalty, or repeat business from a family of four who takes at least 2 cruises per year... Every year for the past several years. In closing, it would be considerate of you to complement our cruise by adding the competitive specials as did the other cruise consultants. This would definitely add our names to the Royal Caribbean Manifest on our future cruises and would remove our unfavorable feelings because of dealing with this ineptitude. I WONDER IF THESE ISSUES REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE... SHIPS ARE ALWAYS FILLED.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

First let me start with the pressure that is put on you when you arrive to the ship. Buy an Internet package, buy a drink package, buy a $200 dinner for 2... it goes on and on and on. We opted to buy an Internet package as we have kids at home & needed to be reachable. This was pointless. The internet only worked maybe 1/4 of the time. We brought this to the guest service desk & showed them the pictures as proof and they basically said sorry there was nothing they could do.

Next, the drink package. We were told we just needed one drink package for the two of us. As we received our bill we were each charged for the package at $287.92/piece. Again, brought this to guest services who basically said they wouldn't take the charge off. We also had $100 charge for towels on our bill, which is comical because we never used the towels - it rained every day we were at sea.

Next let's move onto the ports. 1st stop Nassau, Bahamas. The weather was horrible so all excursions were canceled. 2nd stop SHOULD have been Coco Cay Island (Royal Caribbeans private island) but due to weather we were unable to make it there, so we circled in the middle of the ocean for over 24 hours in the pouring rain. There was no room at the indoor pool because everyone was inside due to the weather. Why we couldn't have rerouted to another port is beyond me. 3rd stop - the lovely Key West Florida. This stop was originally taken off the itinerary and then added back on last minute. Key West was NOT rebuilt like they said.

We should have arrived to Key West by 8 am and didn't make it there until 11 am, which shortened our stay on the island - once again, horrible weather, so excursions were limited. Beach access was closed in every direction due to remnants of the hurricane. I am highly disappointed that they wouldn't have just canceled & refunded the money. This trip was worthless & a waste of money. Had I wanted to sit on a boat in the middle of a body of water, I would have taken my boat to the lake!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I wanted to let everyone know just how ROYAL CARIBBEAN treats its repeat customers! You be the Judge! We have cruised with Royal Caribbean two other times. The first to the Caribbean and had a great time. Several years after that we cruised to Alaska and had a not so good time. My husband and I booked a cruise to the Virgin Islands on the Royal Caribbean Allure of the Sea for Sept 17 2017. I was looking forward to visiting St Thomas and St Maarten as I have always wanted to visit. However on Aug 17 we received an email stating that the itinerary had been changed and we would not sail to St Thomas. No definitive explanation.

I called the customer service number and was told the ship would not be able to make it to the island due to a time constraint. We later found out from a blog from a former cruise director, that the ship's third prop was not working and it did not have enough power to make the island in the time that was scheduled for the trip. Why advertise a cruise for places when you know you cannot reach it in time. Why sail without max power? As fate would have it, a week and 1/2 before our cruise, hurricane Irma was already cruising toward the islands. I called the customer service line and continually tracked the information on RC updates which resulted in absolutely no information.

Our trip plans, as always, was to drive from Granite City IL to Ft Lauderdale FL, our port of departure. My husband does not fly for personal reasons. As our date of departure loomed and Irma destroyed the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Haiti and Barbuda and was believed to hit the Florida Keys head on Sept 10th, hurricane Jose was marking a path through the Atlantic and Marie was threatening to destroy more of the Caribbean islands.

As the impact on Florida of Irma and with Maria on the way , both on the news and social media, I made multiple calls on multiple days to Royal Caribbean asking for a refund or credit for another cruise which resulted in either negative answer or a recording stating they were unavailable due to the weather. When I finally reached Royal Caribbean again on Sept 13th and spoke to Alex, I asked for a credit for a different cruise or a refund with no results. For full disclosure we did not purchase the RC insurance as we fully intended to arrive for the cruise. However I had been told by Royal Caribbean customer service on one of my many calls that due to the hurricane exceptions had been made to others.

What kind of sane person would make this trip to board a ship that is going nowhere they want to go? Flooding in Florida. Wide spread loss of power. No Gas or long lines up to several hours. The Governor of Florida said not to come to Florida. Bumper to Bumper traffic due to returning evacuees. We canceled our reservation as polite, civilized people would do, to let them know we would not be there to board. We also canceled our hotel room and the person there stated that many people have canceled due to the hurricane and aftermath.

We were contacted by Ruth from Royal Caribbean by phone and when we returned the call thinking she may be able to help us, but found she wanted us to schedule a new cruise. She transferred me to another department when she understood why I called her back, who then transferred me to the "Post Cruise" department. I spoke to Leila and again laid out our reasons for not being able to board but she told me that we would not be getting any of our money or any kind of credit, for a loss of $1804.00. She said she spoke to one of the managers who confirmed that but would not disclose their name when I asked. Who, in their right mind would board a ship and go out to sea with 2 hurricanes forming in the Atlantic and only 2 of 3 propellers working?? How can they out run the hurricanes?

The second itinerary changes were due to the destruction that occurred at the Virgin Islands which is understandable, and my prayers go out to all that were affected. However the ports Royal Caribbean chose are not the places I paid for. No option to re-book for another date was given. Royal Caribbean DOES NOT CARE of the hardships of people driving through Florida after Irma hit to make the cruise or lose all their money? DOES NOT CARE if people are stranded on the road without gas and nowhere to spend the night? Without power, the heat alone to someone with health condition would be a risk. They just happily pocket the money. I am sure we are not the only ones screwed by Royal Caribbean during this time. I would love to hear from other EX Royal Caribbean cruisers about their experiences.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

We have booked and paid in full for a cruises with these people and now they have sent a email saying someone's paid to charter a large part of the cruise so we're not going, with our only option a shorter cruise. 3 months later after arguing with their so-called customer service for over 2 hours it's very clear they couldn't care less. I would highly recommend anyone thinking about cruising, don't go with Royal Caribbean.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

We purchased the Enchantment of the Seas cruise scheduled for departure on September 15 in Miami. Our flight from Sao Paulo to Miami would be on September 10, when Hurricane Irma would arrive in the city. The airport was closed and all airlines canceled their flights and it was not possible to rebook it for the next few days. Thus it was not possible to be in Miami on the departure date of the cruise. So far the only refund we did not get was Royal Caribbean. Car, hotel, etc. understood the situation and made all the cancellations without any kind of paperwork. Royal and R11 travel, responsible for cruise sales, have so far not given an official position on the case.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We were delayed out of Paris to our Venice port pick up. We purchased air to sea with the cruise. They rebooked us to overnight in Venice and take a flight the next day to meet in Kotor. The customer service rep NINE, told us that a rep would be waiting for us in Venice when we landed, take us to a hotel, and pick us up the next morning to take us back to the airport. They would reimburse us any cost. This was supposedly recorded. We arrived in Venice, and no one was there. We called the cruise line, was hung up on 3 times and finally got someone who said, no one would be meeting us and to just figure it out, this is a direct quote! We called back and got another person who said they would rebook the flight for the next day, send an email confirmation of the flight and to get a hotel and we would be reimbursed.

When we didn't receive the email, we called back, we got someone who sent the flight email and said they booked us a hotel 29 kilometers away. A cab would have cost us 100 euro one way, which we didn't have. They couldn't give us the address to the hotel, finally someone at the airport looked up the address and told us that a bus could take us there for 8 euro each. We got on the bus, the driver only spoke Italian. We rode the bus for about 40 minutes, and saw him pass the hotel, we tried to stop. Nobody could understand us. A young college student spoke broken English and helped us talk to the bus driver. We were told there was no guarantee of transportation to the airport that early the next day and the best bet was to return to the airport. So they dropped us off at a bus station, with all our luggage.

We spent the next 45 minutes going back to the Marco Polo airport. After wandering around trying to talk to someone, we came upon a single room for 200 euro for the night, it was about a 2 mile walk from the airport. We caught the flight the next day... Finally at 5:30 pm we were on the ship. We went straight to customer service, where we were not pleasantly greeted and reminded that even though I was not there for the spa appointment the previous day they didn't usually give refunds and charged cancellation fees, we worked that out. We were assured that the credits had been forwarded to the right department for refunds but every day they had no word on the progress.

I finally called a cus rep back in the states from the ship and was told they were going to adjust the credits and when I asked for compensation for the customer service rep lying to us in Venice, the rep on the phone agreed that we should receive an onboard credit to renew customer faith, I handed the phone to the rep on board and she proceeded to argue with the rep on the phone that we would not be receiving a credit, and the rep on the phone hung up on her. We received nothing. We haven't been reimbursed as promised, we were left on our own in a country where we did not speak the language.

We bought the air to sea package because it stated we would have peace of mind and be protected against any delays. The cruise did offer us a small credit towards our next cruise. Why would I spend more money with someone who couldn't provide the promises the first time around. My father always said... Fool me once shame on you... Fool me twice, shame on me.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Very unhappy with Royal Caribbean's tactics. We booked for a 7 day that included St. Maarten Puerto Rico and Haiti. Now with the hurricanes, we are going to Cozumel, Nassau and Costa Maya. We didn't pay for these cheaper ports and they aren't willing to apply even a 10% credit or let us go at a future date... We will never sail with RCCL again and we are telling everyone we know to avoid this cruise line. Hopefully enough people will complain so that'll feel the impact.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I am booked to go to the Southern Caribbean in November. Given the devastation of the recent hurricanes I called to get a refund- nope!!! This company has no compassion- I lived through hurricane Andrew and have no interest in visiting hurricane ravaged islands. I hope the 50% you want to keep for a so called "voluntary" cancellation is worth it. Also, Palm Coast Travel out of Boca Raton, FL has provided no assistance! I guarantee the lack of compassion on this will hurt your numbers somewhere down the line. I will be waiting for you to do the right thing and provide a full refund.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I like so many have been affected by hurricane Irma. Not to the extent of some individuals but enough to the fact that I could not go on the schedule cruise to Havana Cuba on 9-18-17. Royal Caribbean is sympathetic to my situation but the multi million dollar company cannot refund me $1,800.00. I guess they already lost to much $$$. I would never recommend dealing with this cruise line.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I saved money and my annual vacation for an EASTERN Caribbean cruise to see and venture into island that I have never experienced before. Our party was a party of 4. Unfortunately, those island were decimated by several hurricanes and the itinerary changed to WESTERN Caribbean. We were neither notified, given a courtesy call or other options. Instead my party is forced to travel to an itinerary we do not feel comfortable nor excited about (some people save several years to go on a dream vacation and I don't consider Nassau or Cozumel in that classification).

The other party who purchased insurance was told they would only receive 75% credit refund ONLY & They purchased the insurance. Royal Caribbean could have handled this better. They could have given options to customers but instead decided to determine otherwise. I have traveled with this cruise line before but this is the final time. I have contacted a news crew and will continue to tell others about this experience. If RC refunded the money or at least gave a year credit to travel elsewhere then I would have chosen to travel elsewhere... Very disappointed, frustrated and unhappy! In addition, corporate headquarters will not respond to telephone calls or correspondence.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

My Family and I are suppose to go on the Adventure of the Seas sailing Oct 14, 2017 out of San Juan, PR. As the majority of the people reading this already know about Hurricane Marie that destroyed the majority of Puerto Rico. Royal Caribbean has said that they intend to go ahead with the cruise for October 14th. I have called RC and spoken with multiple people about refunding my money with no luck. They have said there is nothing they can do about it. I have expressed my concerns about going into a natural disaster and how I felt uncomfortable bringing my wife and children on the trip where there is a food, water, and electricity shortage. We were planning on going down the day before the ship embarked, but I also received a call from my hotel saying that no one is accepting reservation through the end of October and they cancelled my reservation.

Furthermore, if we were to go down there, we might not be able to get back due to the 20,000 people trying to leave. So yesterday I called the Royal Caribbean Corporate office and spoke to John. I told John all of my concerns and John told me that he was glad to see that I booked the Travel Insurance with them. He said that I could get all my money back in some cases, and 75% percent back in cruise credit no matter what. Well to get fully refunded from the Travel Insurance plan that RC offers one of the following has to happen: 1. Sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or members of either of your immediate families, which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated. 2. Involvement in a traffic accident, en route to departure, that causes you to miss your cruise.

3. Your home is made uninhabitable by a natural disaster such as fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane or volcano. 4. You are called into active duty by the military to provide aid or relief as a result of a natural disaster. 5. Subpoena or being called to serve for jury duty. Which none of them apply to my circumstance. John then proceeded to tell me that some money is better than none, and that Royal Caribbean is a business and that had to get back to business. Finally, I said to John, "Just issue me a credit for the cruise and I will book on another one with you right now" just as a final effort to get all my money back. John said that he wouldn't do that and why should he. In conclusion I feel that Royal Caribbean is handling the situation very poorly. Trip insurance is a waste of money. My family and I will never sail with Royal Caribbean again or any of their sister companies (Celebrity Cruises, TUI Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara, and SkySea Cruise Line).

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I am having a similar experience to Jen of Totonto. I booked a cruise with Iglu cruises back in March 2016. I paid the balance in June 2017. Once the hurricane hit and they posted cruises being cancelled and the one I was due to go on being reduced to 4 days and only visiting ONE port. I asked for 100% reduction on another cruise. As of today, I am unable to get a similar cruise for the price I paid or have I got my money refunded. I am growing increasingly impatient with this whole process. I just want my money back so I can book something elsewhere... I also booked 2 excursions online which was refunded back to my credit card less £ 30, I have had no explanation as why I didn't get the full amount.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I purchased a cruise with my daughters and one of their boyfriends for a 7 day cruise to celebrate my birthday. Due to hurricane Irma, my cruise leaving on 10 Sept was switched to a 4 day cruise leaving on 13 Sept. I live in Europe, so after they changed the dates, I decided not to fly on my original date of 8 Sept and spend 4-5 nights in a hotel room. Catching a flight from Europe to Miami was complicated leaving on the 12th and not really worth it for a 4 day only cruise with one stop that wasn't on the original itinerary. Now, for the cruises that they canceled they offered a full refund. For the cruises that they changed the dates and itinerary they offered 50% of your money back in on-board refundable credit and 50% of your money towards future cruises if you still sailed with them. For those who didn't take the cruise, you were stuck with 100% future cruise credit.

Here is where my problems with Royal Caribbean begins. First the 100% credit does not come back to me even though I am the one who purchased the reservations. The refund is spread out amongst the four in un-evenly amounts. Second, even if it was given to me, I wouldn't prefer to have that much in future cruise credit. I contacted Royal Caribbean and asked if they could refund half I what I paid back to me and the other half to me only in cruise credit. They refuse. Think about it. They refunded 100% to cruise the canceled. They gave you 50% refund and 50% credit towards future cruises if you sailed on their rearranged cruises. However they screw you over if you were not able to sail with them on those rearranged cruises. I didn't pay for a 4 day cruise with one stop.

To make matters worse, talking to Royal Solutions was a complete waste of time as they only play games. If you ever talk to someone name Sid, no last name you will get broken promise of returning your phone calls. Sid pretended to help, he told me twice he would talk to his boss and see what they say, call me back the next day. Twice he never called the next 2 days and when I called him back, he said he didn't follow up with me because there was no response. However when checking at the moment he say they responded no. What B/S.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Liberty of the Seas - Staff disinterested and unmotivated. Elevators broke all week. Hardly any entertainment, bored most nights. The staff just had a general lack of enthusiasm to be there. Stair railing was broke on floor 3-4. Carpets smelled like old dry dirt. Felt like too many corners cut to pinch pennies, and I felt I was "cargo" instead of a hotel guest. Disembarkment took 1.5 hours, ridiculous. I also had the deluxe drink package and bar charged me $33 for beer. The front desk took 4 days to fix it and take off my bill. No fresh squeezed orange juice until the last day when I complained, I was told the kitchen didn't want to bring out the machine. Worst vacation I ever had. First time on Royal Caribbean, I will not be returning.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Adventure of the Seas JS # 9608 - Room should be totally renovated including that disgusting toilet. Walked in and the first thing to hit me was the smell of mildew. So I walk over to open the balcony door and WOW someone else's dirty socks were left behind. This tells me this room is being "prepared" for the next guest but "not actually cleaned". Go into the bathroom and it initially "looked & smelled" clean. However after the first full day at sea, it started smelling like old urine sprinkled with old poop. Believing the smell was coming from the actual seat & it being 230 am, I figured I'd just put to use those Clorox disinfectant sheets I packed to use & in the morning tell my room attendant to pay special attention to that seat.

What happened next is not for those who get queasy. Took out 3 sheets and started cleaning the seat but the smell wouldn't go away because it was coming from inside the bowl. So I threw those in and used the bowl scrubber to clean like I was taught to clean... UNDER THE RIM IS PART OF CLEANING THE TOILET ROYAL CARIBBEAN!!! Not sure what all came from under that rim but it was black & caked on from being there for YEARS. My shock froze my brain so I have no pictures from the FIRST ROUND of cleaning that bowl but I did get a picture from the second round as proof.

Next morning I tell the attendant he needs to do better cleaning & that he should clean under the rim as well. He had no clue what I was talking about. Called guest services and they sent a housekeeping rep who was at first a little skeptical until I told her I had a picture then very apologetic. Was supposed to send the "cleaning crew" to steam clean the toilet while I was at dinner. Got back to the room after midnight and bathroom still smelled the same.

Next day after my excursion I opened the door to a light smell of bleach. Great they came. Next day... OLD URINE SPRINKLED WITH POOP!!! Complain... it gets cleaned... next day, OLD URINE & POOP! SO the moral... JUST RENOVATE THE ROOM & REPLACE THE TOILET!!! And btw, housekeeping NEVER FOLLOWED UP which convinces me that they are aware of the problem SHIP WIDE but as long as passengers accept their band aide solution & they can convince US that they'll "have a talk with your room attendant", all is well. Meanwhile back in May while staying in a StarClass suite on the Anthem, a pipe rupture & unavoidable wet carpet got us days of apologies & a 20% cruise discount off the price we each paid for THIS suite to be used on our next sailing for the inconvenience.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

My Husband and I were booked for a 7 day southern Caribbean cruise that embarks from San Juan, Puerto Rico on Sept.23, 2017. We are ready to go however because of the devastating Hurricane Maria we are unable to go. As of today 9/21/2017 the Royal Caribbean sent us an email that the ship may go out Wed. 9/27 if the port is open. As we all know the Island of Puerto Rico electric power grid is down, the airport is closed and may open on 9/23 but still not guarantee until all damage assessment has been done. This entire island has no electricity and has sustain catastrophic damage. This cruise line will not refund your money and in the email it states that if you choose to cancel they will give a 100% shipboard credit the amount of this cruise that you can use for a future cruise in the next year. No one is guarantee tomorrow. So if you are unable to book a cruise in a year with them they keep all your money.

They did offer that if you choose to go on the 9/27 sailing you will be entitled to a 60% shipboard credit of the amount of the cruise and get 50% off a future cruise if booked in the next year. I am free to go for the 9/27 however used logical good common sense not to go because unfortunately Puerto Rico definitely will not be able to receive tourist at this time. I do not understand how this company is telling you to come to an island that has suffered unprecedented devastation. They want to put you in harm's way to get the ship. This is simply unacceptable. I have read the cruise contract and the cruise contract nowhere states that you have to embark in ports that it practically inhabitable at this time to see a penny of your hard earn money to come back to you.

The ironic and totally senseless thing about this is that the unfortunate catastrophic situation that Puerto Rico is in now is the same type of condition that other islands are in St. Thomas, St. Martin. Royal Caribbean claims that they have done humanitarian work by helping people to evacuate from those type of conditions. This company want you to come into these same type of conditions that maybe will leave on 9/27 to even see some type of 60% on board credit refund. This is totally unacceptable. My hotel that I booked 2 days prior to the cruise departure that was located in Fajardo, Puerto Rico has a no refund policy and they return the money. Something has to change. This callous and inhumane behavior has to stop.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Had a horrible experience on the Harmony of the Seas, multiple problems too many to get into here. Executive office told me they would not do anything, no partial refund, nothing. After my 3 page email listing all the problems, the bait and switch they pulled on me etc, still all they say is, "We reviewed the matter and will not offer any refund." I can see by the other reviews here how horrible they are to customers. Don't spend your money with these greedy **. PS: I’ll add that the entire ship was them trying to sell you stuff. Even the shows. After an activity like Trivia-- they still try to push t-shirts etc-- not even room service is free anymore.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I booked and paid for a reservation in the Bahamas, St Thomas Island, and St. Martin and paid for trip insurance. With the hurricanes, every port of call was destroyed. They refunded the cruise cost but will not refund my airline costs nor the insurance costs after the insurance company (they booked it) refused to cover anything after I paid for it two weeks ago. I will never do business with this company again and am considering filing a lawsuit against them!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Pricing structure is borderline fraudulent. Advertising buy one, get one half price and it's more expensive than the original brochure prices. You end up feeling lied to, mis-sold and for want of another word diddled!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

A trip with a Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship, Harmony of the Seas was booked for us. We were supposed to be flying into Fort Lauderdale on Sept 9 2017 to take their ship to Puerto Rico, St Martin & Haiti. Due to Hurricane Irma, Royal Caribbean cancelled our cruise & rightfully so. HOWEVER... they will not refund our money!! They offered us either a credit to use another time with their cruise line, or to delay by a few days & give us the cruise for 50% & the other 50% of our payment can be used "onboard" for food, shopping etc. So the trip would be shortened to 4 days & only go to COZUMEL! I said, "Who flies into Florida to jump on a ship to sail 2 days to COZUMEL for ONE day, then go back? If I wanted to go to COZUMEL I would simply just fly there. I am not a fan of COZUMEL. I bought a trip off of Royal Caribbean to go to the 3 islands they advertised for a week. I do not have the luxury of taking any other time off for a vacation, this was it.

In all fairness, I do believe they should return everyone's money, not say, “No, we will give you 50% off with the other 50%...” that you can only spend on THEIR boat, and go to only ONE place, their new choice of COZUMEL!!! Or go another time! I can't go another time and I don't wish to take their offer to go for 4 days to COZUMEL. FAIR IS FAIR!! I strongly believe this is wrong and selfish behaviour. ROYAL CARIBBEAN should return everyone's money (LIKE SUNWING AIRLINES DID) and not have the option to say no and tell us what we can do with it. Anyone else having this issue?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I believe RCI lacked good common sense and compassion for cruise patrons sailing from Galveston, TX in the wake of Hurricane Harvey. They specifically instructed us to drive toward the hurricane and flood waters and gave false information that the port would be open for disembarkment and embarkment on August 27. We had to change our parking and hotel reservations 3 times and kept constantly calling for hazard of conditions. They set the date back one day and told us to be there on Monday at noon. If you look at the towns and cities on Highway 45 going to Galveston on that date, the houses were completely underwater!

I have nothing but bad feelings about the experience. Although they did at the last minute as we were on the highway braving the weather, cancel and refund, the refund would have been un-refundable had we followed their instruction earlier as that would have put us in horrible danger! I feel stupid for believing anything they said, and I think they were waiting for people to cancel on their own and take the loss so they wouldn't have to. It is very disturbing that they would have no conscience about the safety of all people. Sign me as "no longer a fan of RC!" Just a note... Carnival also had a sailing on the same day from that port, they cancelled at the very first sign of the hurricane. RCI didn't cancel until 3 days later. Too little too late for many!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I WILL NEVER CRUISE WITH ROYAL CARIBBEAN AGAIN!!! I should have seen the signs when I had major problems booking the cruise for our Anniversary in late October 2017. First, RC's website wouldn't allow me to book the cabin I wanted so had to keep choosing different cabins. System only gives you 1 cabin available each time so the process took forever!!! Finally was able to book but system wouldn't let me hold it for 24 hours. HAD TO CALL RC. Every time you call, they tell you a different story!!! Actually, the cabin I booked had already been booked for a big group!!! So their website allowed me to DOUBLE-BOOK the same cabin!!!

I should have walked away right at that moment....Then, Sam told me he couldn't hold it for 24 hours. What?? So had to hope that the cabin held so I could tell my husband the cabin # and we made our final decision to book. From that point on, could NEVER get on our reservation on their website because it was being "modified". I wanted to look at tours, dining packages but never could. Called again and no one could help me or get my reservation released. Finally, after asking for a supervisor (on the phone for 45 minutes talking to Nora first and then Garrett just trying to book a dining package), I finally got Cindy ** in the "Resolutions Dept." I wanted to book a package because we have always booked 2nd sitting table for 2 but was seated in table for 8 on the Freedom last time.

I had to hunt down the maitre d' for 3 days to ask for a table for 2 and Still never got it... Really nobody cares! Cindy explained the convoluted rules of the dining package and the package actually picks your restaurants for you!! That's really stupid!!! You had to wait until you board to pick your own restaurants! That's when they are all full. Cindy gave me a "better # to call" in Oregon (not Guatemala) but turns out the same # goes to Guatemala too!

On August 15, 2017, got email saying that our itinerary was changing due to "speed restrictions" on the Allure. What???? That means they are having ENGINE PROBLEMS!!!! They are actually down to 2 propellers instead of 3!! Lisa at 800 # actually admitted Allure has "propulsion problems" but not offering compensation at this time due to an itinerary change. Told her that is just a CONSEQUENCE of their REAL problem: ENGINE PROBLEMS!!! They will be LIMPING around the Caribbean from port to port hoping a tropical storm or hurricane doesn't come up during Hurricane Season! I asked RC for a callback which means that someone will call me back within 48 hours. No one called. After having been a Cruise Director on the QE2, I certainly do not want to be on a ship that can't outrun a hurricane!!! Very alarming to me and my husband. Not alarming to RC at all.

Tried to call Corporate Headquarters in Miami and that 305 # goes straight to the other 800 #. Called HQ again and asked for the CEO's office. Nelson, customer service agent who reports to the Executive Office, was extremely disinterested and very rude!! I'm sure they are getting so many complaints now. I actually got to Nelson because Richard **, senior cruise planner called me. He saw that we cancelled our cruise and wanted to re-book us because he thought we couldn't go or didn't want to anymore. Told Richard that he totally misunderstood... We cancelled because of RC's engine problems and didn't want to be dead in the ocean!!! RC is very happy to keep our $500.00 deposit. Nelson refused to answer any of my questions and would only offer me another callback. Of course, no one has called me.

Only want RC to treat their guests well. I was not offered anything - no discount, no credit on future cruise, no refund of my deposit!!!! They couldn't care less about their guests. Certainly won't take that broken ship offline especially during the entire fall and high season holiday cruises. Can't lose that revenue!!! Bottom line is - You have to cruise with us or lose your money!! These customer service reps are all horrible, including Nelson at HQ, because they have no fear of consequences!!! They have a major attitude and clearly don't care about any of their guests. They know that they will never get in trouble no matter how often they get complained about. I'm sure none of my calls were ever recorded. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Upon arrival on Royal Caribbean Cruise I ordered a drink that appeared to have curdled, however it tasted fine. A few hours later I became ill. (GI) The next morning I went to medical on board to get some **. I was charged to see the doctor who not only gave me the ** but quarantined me to my stateroom for 24 hours! They did refund me for the excursions I purchased. However nothing for imprisoning me in my stateroom. This was a 3 day cruise with 2 port calls (1 of which I missed) that was ruined.

They are more concerned about the rest of the world possibly getting sick, not the fact that they served me something that made me ill!!! I've cruised with them several times in the past but will never cruise with them again!! Just a word of warning, always travel with ** and don't go to medical unless you're dying or are seriously injured. As a nurse I found their inability to listen to me as to the cause unacceptable. I know what I ate or drank and when the symptoms began. There was no offer to compensate me for either the inconvenience of being ill from something they served or having to not only stay in my room, but also eat meals from a lousy room service menu.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I am writing to share my totally dissatisfying cruising experience with RCL and their poor complaint handling practice. I cruised with them on the Voyager of The Seas during 14th Jul and 18th Jul 2017, heading Vietnam from Hong Kong via Sanya. During the trip, my old mum and her old buddy suffered so much and said won’t cruise anymore because of such bad experience provided by RCL. I wrote to RCL to make complaint and their attitude was not supportive, neither did they feel genuinely sorry and try to make any compensation to restore customer’s confidence at the beginning. After sending my complaint to their headquarters at Miami, finally, their Hong Kong office talked with me and said they would compensate by refunding the onshore excursion fee (USD 30 per head) and send two HKD 1,000 itinerary coupons to the two old ladies in the future when cruising with RCL.

I did not accept this offer because the itinerary coupons mean nothing to us, given that my two old ladies would not go back to their hell ship again. The RCL just want to settle the complaint with much cost, which makes me believe they won’t improve in the future. On the other hand, if they really want to restore our confidence or say sorry, they should make compensation with something other than their service, in my opinion. In this case their inconsiderate and unempathetic customer service quality illustrated. So I asked to talk with more senior people. After a week since the last conversation, however, I heard nothing from them. So, I decided to share my experience with the future cruisers here for reference before they decide who to cruise with in the future. I sincerely hope my own experience, a happy-should-be holidays turned to pure suffering due to RCL’s poor operation, would not happen to you again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Having taken a different Cruise Line previously I was not sure that cruises were going to be for me. I had a totally different experience though with the Royal Caribbean. From the moment I got to my stateroom and met our steward to the many options they had and the way they helped to decide on which tours, activities or events to see in Port. The dining service was wonderful even though I am a vegetarian. There was nightly entertainment so I was not bored even though I don't like to gamble or spend the evening at the bar. I also recommend going to the talks before they land in Port because they give you some valuable information about what are the things to see, where the good deals are, and maybe what to avoid for getting in possible trouble. There are cruises that cost a lot more so I thought overall this was a very good value because I found nothing lacking.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Crown members are cheated by Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. We are Diamond Members and are offered a $200 total discount for being members. However, when applying for the same promotion as two other couples they are offered the $150 instant savings but we are not. We get the $200, which is suppose to be a reward for having cruised so many times, but we don't get the additional $150 savings as the other two non-members receive for the same cruise, and same promotion that we all signed up for. The importance of membership and loyalty is diminished by not allowing the same promotion that is offered to non-members. Not to mention the continuous boring buy one get second one, off for half price.

We know from having gone on 15 cruises with them that what they have done is boosted the price substantially to make it look like your getting a great deal and offering the final price which is slightly higher than the prices they were asking before they ever started offering these continuous bait and switch offerings. We had a clothing store in our area that use to advertise "We don't mark it up to mark it down". Well friends, that is exactly what Royal Caribbean has been doing for years now with these fake promotions. Go with a cruise line that offers straight forward pricing and don't disguise member discounts only to make similar discounts to non-members in other ways all while not making the same discounts available to members. For these reasons, we will no longer book with Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I'm going on a cruise in 2 days on the Allure of the Seas. I just received an email that the entire itinerary has changed. I called in to Royal Caribbean to ask about a massage I had booked. I paid an extra $40 to have my massage on a day at sea. Now my massage is scheduled for a day where we are at a port. I wanted to ask if it would be possible to change this since I paid an extra $40 for a specific day/time. The woman I spoke to could not have been ruder if she tried. I could not believe this is who they were allowing to answer their customer service calls.

Granted, she's probably receiving hundreds of phone calls right now from people who read the email about the itinerary change and are concerned about things they've booked, but please show some understanding and respect to the customers who paid thousands of dollars to be going on this cruise. They really need to train their reps differently. I am still in shock by how I was just treated over the phone.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was founded in 1968 and has since developed two unique destinations, Labadee and CocoCay; it also sails to numerous popular worldwide cruise destinations.

• Adventure Ocean youth program: Adventure Ocean provides kid-friendly activities for babies, tweens and teens.
    • Flexible dining experience: Dining options range from casual dining venues to sophisticated meals in the dining hall.
    • Onboard casino: Gambling enthusiasts can take a seat at the Roulette table or slot machines while sailing to the next destination.
    • Performances: Movie fans can enjoy watching Tony award-winning performances.
    • Pre-sailing communication: Guests can take advantage of itinerary updates and online check-in; these updates let them know what is available to cut the wait time and when it's time to board the ship.
    • Best for: The Royal Caribbean liner is best for active adults and families.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs