2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.75/5

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Original review: April 10, 2020

Out of all the other lines l have been on, Royal Caribbean is my favorite! The customer service is excellent. They go out of their way to make sure your have a wonderful experience on the ship. You can go to any of the staff to ask for assistance and if they’re not able to help you they will direct you to someone who can. Staff is personable and l notice that the person who’s in charge of your cabin makes sure by the second day he/she knows your name. Depending on where you are going l feel that for the services you are getting prices are good! I do find that the prices on the excursions (especially in Europe) can be a bit pricey but the excursions for the most part are informative and amazing. The food is great. Everyday there is a different theme celebrating different country's cuisine. All in all if you want to have a good time, enjoy great food and explore different parts of the world, l recommend Royal Caribbean.

Original review: April 10, 2020

Cruising is the best way to go on a vacation. You visit many locations without having to change hotels nor pack and unpack. I like cruises so much that I have been on 29 of them. The best cruise line is Royal Caribbean International since on their ships there are activities for everyone, no matter your age, your nationality, ethnicity, education, etc. Once you board one of their ships you are in a different world, where you are treated like royalty and every crew member is there to make your vacation a dream come true.

The company has many classes of ships and each class is different and has its own way of enchanting its guests. That is why you can say that there is a ship and a class for everyone and every taste. Another thing I find very important and have found true on each ship is the cleanliness. During a day, everywhere you look there is a crew member cleaning the different areas with a smile on their face. Once you try a cruise on any of RCI's ships you will surely want more and will say "I am loyal to Royal".

Get buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2020

Have cruised 3 different lines (NCL, Carnival, & RCCL), and between all will continue to cruise RCCL over and over again. The entertainment on these ships (especially the Oasis and Quantum/Quantum-Ultra classes) are spectacular. From outstanding live shows, to comedy shows, laser-tag, ice skating + ice shows, bumper cars, escape rooms, you name it! They have entertainment to match any and all types. The rooms are incredibly comfortable, and the higher you go in cabin class the more exquisite the experience becomes with their "Suite Benefits". Even larger ships such as the Oasis class do not feel crowded as one would expect. The layout of the larger ships keeps you from feeling cramped in. Ship-board activities abound each day. There is literally something for everyone.

If I had to suggest an area of improvement, I would have to choose the food. The food at buffet is okay, and main dining room food is a bit better. Specialty dining areas are wonderful, but there's an up-charge for those. The quality of the food options included in the cruise fare could stand some improvement. However, with all other things that RCCL provide, I continue to sail with them despite this, as in my humble opinion, they still rank the best so far.

Original review: March 29, 2020

Royal Caribbean is the way to go. More things to do on the ship. Great food and best entertainment of any. Excellent itinerary. Best excursions..Sail away with royal carribean. They treat you like a king and queen on their cruises. Staff waits on you hand and foot. And you will definitely enjoy the captain's dinner. And by the way have your photo taken at all your destination stops in which you will get to purchase to remember your cruise by. Enjoy yourself laying around the Olympic size pools and also the huge hot tubs. Casinos are also on board for a chance to win you some extra spending cash. With everything that included in your trip you will have a memorable trip to remember forever. So call them today and get packing and get ready for a cruise of a life time. What are you waiting for? Get on that phone today and get your trip booked and get ready to enjoy yourself and meet new people.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

My family and I went on a 4-night cruise in Nassau, Bahamas on Navigator of the Seas during the week of Thanksgiving this year. I have been on about five cruises, four of which have been on Royal Caribbean and I am always very happy with my experience. This was a great trip as well however, the dining experience was not as great as I remembered from my past cruises. However, aside from the food, the entertainment on the ship was as great as usual. My family regularly went to the bars on the promenade in the evening for drinks and good music. Every night, there was plenty to go to including comedy shows, karaoke, parties on the pool deck and plenty of activities for small children.

On our days off the ship, we went to the Royal Caribbean owned island in Nassau, Coco Cay and had an amazing experience. There were water parks, wave pools, different beach areas, pool bars, and great service from the staff. This is a great site for families as there is plenty to do for people of all ages. On our other day off the ship, we took one of the Royal Caribbean excursions and enjoyed a nice boat tour around the island and an evening sunset cruise that had free rum punch and great tour guides!

On our day at sea, we also got massages and facials at the spa onboard. We received stellar service during our treatments and it was such a relaxing experience. On the cruise, photographers are all around and capture great moments of you and your family. So, in the end we were able to select our favorite photos and compile a photo book that was just sent to our house. The price was a good deal at about $150 to capture our experience in a high-quality book. My family and I overall had a great trip and will continue to cruise with Royal Caribbean in the future.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

They offer a free cruise. Take it away because of covid. After holding our money for 6 months 45 days for a refund then come back to offer nothing. Terrible customer service. Always hanging up on your call. I don't recommend them. The only way to go is Carnival cruises. Customer service is terrible.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I had a cruise set for November which I had to cancel due to the uncertainty that the cruise was going to be cancelled by the cruise line. I respectfully requested the refund in the full amount and was not given the option as the return to sale date was 11/1/2020, however "that can change at any time." I with pre-determined vacation dates cannot afford to continue to wait for a company announcement had to find new travel plans. I do not think it is fair that I was penalized for, foreseeing additional cancelations with no end in this COVID-19 pandemic. They firstly refused to refund the full amount and hold my deposit. After calling again to inquire about receiving the additional refund, (which they still refused) I was told the hold amount was even greater and being held as a future cruise credit. During my initial calls they even refused to get me over to a supervisor.

Therefore with all these issues, why would I ever want to give RCCL any additional monies for future cruises above and beyond the "future cruise credit." I think it's absolutely immoral of a customer facing company to accept this as the only alternative. I would like to point out that I understood prior to the announcement 11/6/2020 why some of my funds were being issued as a credit as I chose to cancel and not RCCL (even though you know COVID-19), and had accepted that some of my money would be held for future use, however I will not tolerate being bullied by a multi-billion dollar company when the return to sale date is extended for the very same reason that I needed to cancel sooner.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

Not really trustable. We cancelled our cruise after they announced we are allowed to do so for a full refund on 23th of March because of covid. They said it takes 6-10 weeks to be refunded and they even asked us for the bank details. If you have seen our money, we have seen it too!!! No one answers what is going on! The company says they don’t know anything as we are working with the agency, the agency says the company does not give them any answer. We have been charged for a service that we never received! Not doing it again and definitely saying to everyone who wants to make the same mistake. Not recommended at all.

Original review: July 28, 2020

After all the absolute nightmare that I have experienced dealing with Royal Caribbean's customer service department, I will never book another cruise with them. I was scheduled to take a cruise with 3 of my friends the week of March 15th, 2020. We became concerned about the safety of the cruise after the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, so we consulted with what the health experts were saying. After the CDC and the State Department both released guidelines telling American tourists not to get on cruise ships, after hearing that all of the ports in the Bahamas had closed, and after seeing several ships be quarantined, we decided to reach out to Royal Caribbean to cancel.

This was the Monday/Tuesday before our cruise was supposed to sail, and I will further note that when we looked at our Sail Passes, we had still had not been assigned a room, which tells me they knew very well that they weren't going to be able to set sail that following Sunday. When we called to cancel, we were told we had to take a Cruise with Confidence certificate good until the end of 2021. Not knowing then how extensive this pandemic would be, we agreed. A few days later, our cruise was cancelled by the cruise line and all of those passengers were offered the choice between a full refund or the Cruise with Confidence program that we were offered. To be clear, the week of my cruise was the first week of cancellations across all cruise lines. Every subsequent week was given the two choices.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I regrouped with my friends, and with the outlook looking grim for travel even next year, not knowing when the vaccine will be ready or when it will be safe to travel, I decided to call Royal Caribbean to see if I could get us a refund on our cruise certificates. I had heard they were giving out full refunds now, and on top of that we are living in extraordinary circumstances, and our cruise was in that first week of cancellations when things were so hectic.

We were hoping to get money back, especially for parts of our group who have been financially impacted by the pandemic, and regroup to reschedule the cruise once we knew for sure things would be safe (we were thinking this would most likely be in 2022). Additionally, we took a look at the cruises on sale for 2021, and most if not all of the cruises are more expensive and prices were climbing. If we were going to use the cruise certificates, which was supposed to help us reschedule seamlessly with no additional cost, we would end up having to put even more money into the cruise on top of what we already spent.

With all of that in mind, when I called I was hoping to speak to a representative or a manager so I could explain our unique situation (since we were in that brief window of time between the guidances being posted and the cruise being cancelled, so we were not afforded the same choices the rest of the passengers were. I was told unceremoniously by the customer service agent that a refund was impossible and that I would not be able to speak to a manager. After I called several times, I was able to get two service requests in and was told I would be speaking to a manager shortly. Instead, the cases were handled by the 'enterprise' customer service team, who also refused to let me speak to a manager or escalate my complaint.

They were very condescending and told me that since I followed CDC and State Department guidelines and did the initial cancellation, I didn't want to cruise badly enough with Royal Caribbean and therefore didn't deserve a full refund of my money. Mind you, my cancellation and the cancellation of the cruise were mere days apart. We are living through extraordinary circumstances, and my situation could only be applicable to a handful of people who had cruises the week of March 15th, 2020. I was told all sorts of things about how impossible a refund would be, even though I have worked extensively in customer service and know that there is always an escalation process and a way to get your money back.

They refused to give email addresses, refused to transfer me to a manager, and insisted that the only thing they could do was give me a generic email where I could give them 'feedback'. What, exactly, does that help anyone with if you are refusing to hear the feedback I am giving you in real time? If you refuse to help your customers, how is giving feedback going to change this situation at all?

I would have been happy to rebook in 2022 or later. If the cruise had sailed after we cancelled, I would have never called customer service at all. However, we're in the midst of an unprecedented pandemic, the cruise was completely cancelled a matter of days after our initial call to Royal Caribbean, and now we are stuck with cruise credits that are not worth the same amount they were because all of the cruise prices have jumped. I normally do not ask for refunds in situations like this, because we all know what we sign up for, but these are unprecedented times and I cannot believe my group is being pushed off all because we chose to follow the federal health guidelines that were posted at this point.

I know that other cruise lines have not given their customers nearly the same amount of grief that I am seeing other people are dealing with, because they know the value of good customer service and keeping their brand name intact. I am still arguing with Royal Caribbean now, and even with all of the reviews, even after all of the calls and trying to get someone to hear our situation, they refuse to listen. I have never in my life dealt with a customer service department that outright refuses to help people, especially in the midst of a pandemic.

In conclusion, after all of these headaches, I will never board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship again, and I am telling every person I know about their utter lack of compassion and understanding during these difficult times. They say that a company's response during COVID-19 is really indicative of their character, and all I have to say is that Royal Caribbean is sorely lacking in it. I will now only cruise with Disney Cruise Lines, because I can expect Disney guest service to go above and beyond to help in any situation possible. I would really caution anyone thinking of going on a cruise after this pandemic is over to think twice before booking a Royal Caribbean cruise, because they are certainly not going to do you any favors, and by the looks of the reviews I am seeing everywhere, they have left a lot of people hanging high and dry when it comes to refunds.

Original review: July 15, 2020

Long story, but bottom line is, that in the middle of a pandemic, they state will credit your deposits but then are keeping the deposits and not given credits. They also put you on hold forever and do not respond directly but put you to their "resource" department. Then they refuse to disclose their employee last names so you can follow up with the right people. If you cruise with them and there is another pandemic or other crisis; you will lose.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines author review by ConsumerAffairs

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was founded in 1968 and has since developed two unique destinations, Labadee and CocoCay; it also sails to numerous popular worldwide cruise destinations.

• Adventure Ocean youth program: Adventure Ocean provides kid-friendly activities for babies, tweens and teens.

• Flexible dining experience: Dining options range from casual dining venues to sophisticated meals in the dining hall.

• Onboard casino: Gambling enthusiasts can take a seat at the Roulette table or slot machines while sailing to the next destination.

• Performances: Movie fans can enjoy watching Tony award-winning performances.

• Pre-sailing communication: Guests can take advantage of itinerary updates and online check-in; these updates let them know what is available to cut the wait time and when it's time to board the ship.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team