Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines

Compare Cruise Lines

Research top Cruise Lines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

February 2017 - "Majesty of the Seas," I arrived in my stateroom and the so called mini bar was 2 bottled waters on the desk. The water sat there untouched all week. Last day 6:15 AM my statement shows a credit balance, I left at 9:15 AM with the bottled water still there. I arrived home at midnight to find the my credit had been used and a charge of $10.39 was made for "mini-bar items." I called and the phone staff was like a bunch of robots. They absolutely did not care. Their "process" takes 7 business days to return the stolen money back to you.Through the BBB, I was told that they recommend guest have unwanted mini-bar items removed from their stateroom on the first day of the cruise. REALLY? They did not tell me this BEFORE my cruise. Further, they say they are "transitioning their fleet" to a menu system -- Guest will be asked to select any items they want in their bar.

The on-board employees were wonderful. I will CAUTIOUSLY consider their brand again but only because the employees who finally helped me get my refund were nice. The call center employees are robots and have no empathy. WATCH your WALLET when dealing with RCI. Score for Amenities low because I don't like being charged for things I did not use. I certainly do not appreciate them taking money that was not their and holding on to it for 7 days.

I am not much of a cruiser but my granddaughter wanted one for her honeymoon. So, I conferred with my daughter, who likes cruises, and she recommended booking for 5 nights with stops in Haiti (her favorite stop) and Jamaica. Well they returned home today and never got to Haiti. Apparently someone got sick and the ship had to return to the mainland. The Haiti stop was canceled and the ship proceeded to Jamaica. I explained to Keisha in "customer service" that I was highly disappointed in the cruise and that they need to compensate them with another at their expense.

She basically said that is not their policy and they would offer nothing because it wasn't their fault. I get that somebody got sick, but taking 2 days off of the land portion of a 5-day cruise in not acceptable. I asked to speak to her supervisor and she refused to transfer the call. I finally hung up on her and will take my battle to the social media instead. I gave them an opportunity to make a first-time customer happy and they failed miserably. Do not go with Royal Caribbean. They do not care about their customers.

DO NOT CHOOSE THIS CRUISE!!! HUGE SCAM!!! HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I traveled with 3 of my friends from Chicago to Florida on this cruise. It was supposed to be a fun 4 night Bahamas getaway (Port Canaveral Roundtrip) departing on 9/5/16 at 4:00 PM and returning on 9/9/2016 7:00 am with the Majesty of the Seas of Royal Caribbean Cruises. However, this has been an ongoing nightmare from the moment they asked me to put down my credit card as part of the check-in process.

After returning from the trip, I received a credit card bill for a charge of $2874.49 which I did NOT sign nor authorize on the ship!!! I contacted my bank immediately and asked them to investigate. The bank/credit card company representative and myself tried calling the customer service number but they were unable to help, and refused to provide proof of purchase (which means they must not have any proof of signature)! It has been now been six months and this still has not been resolved!!!

POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Was booking a stateroom on Royal Caribbean Cruise line on Sunday and mid booking (step 2 of 5) price increased!! After phone call, they admitted a "computer glitch" on their end and 1 hour 18 min on phone with Royal Caribbean Cruise line they still refused to honor the original price that I was in the middle of booking! Sarah, a resolution specialist offered to "meet me half way" ($90 of the $180 increase in price). I accepted the $90 off the original booking and said that I would be willing to take the balance in onboard credits. Sarah said that half way was all she could do, when I insisted on speaking to her supervisor she stated that I would receive a call within 24-48 hours, 3 days later NO CALL!

I called tonight to book another stateroom for family members and inquired as to why I had not heard from anyone, only to be told by Josh, another resolution specialist that they would not honor the balance of $90 in onboard credits! POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE - THE ERROR WAS ON THEIR END. THEY SHOULD HONOR THE LOWER PRICE IN FULL!!!

Liz (supervisor) at Royal Caribbean is such a rude human being. She has no sense of what is ethical or right in this world. She refused to give me her last name or supervisor's name. Because of Liz I will never cruise Royal Caribbean (I am platinum on Princess). Please do yourself a favor and NEVER cruise Royal Caribbean.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Me and my wife went on 2 different cruises with Royal Caribbean in less than a year. We drank liquor, beer and mixed drinks all morning & all night without getting drunk. My wife drinks special occasions normally 2 or 3 drinks she is past drunk. So it's no way possible that she should have been able to drink all day. I got upset didn't drink 1 morning. We got off the boat & got 2 free drinks at Atlantis Casino. My wife couldn't finish her 2nd drink. We was drunk, tipsy buzzed or whatever you want to call it. We was happy, satisfied finally. Well we get back on the boat, started back drink a lot but the more we drink the more we sobered up. I complained. I told the bartender it was my birthday that I only got on the cruise was to party and get drunk for my bday to make something I could feel. He made me a Hennessy that he got from the back even though it was a more than half bottle of open Hennessy on the shelf.

Finally I was upset that I had paid so much for a drunk package for the 2nd time and wasn't able to get a buzz. We saved up about 4 shots of vodka and drink them back to back and we still wasn't drunk. I wasn't able to get my favorite mojito mixed drank not once on the cruise because they was out of mint. If I knew this I would not have paid all that money for an unlimited drink package or booked the cruise thru them. I was hit with all type of gratuity fees even after I was told I could tip in cash. But I was very upset that you would add gratuity fees knowing that I'm not happy with the drinks or service at the bars on the boat. Then I was told it cost 183 but got charged 297. I went to guest services to complain. Not to mention they broke my wife luggage. Never ever will I book a cruise thru Royal Caribbean again. I recommended them to a lot of folks in the past but after this I'll go cruise with a different cruise line in the future.

I honestly think that the liquor is flavored liquor without alcohol or with a different lower proof than what's on the label. It taste real but it's not real vodka. Bootlegged fake drinks. If it was real you would see a lot of people fighting, puking, walking drunk, not able to drink all day every day of the cruise. People go to clubs 11 pm til 2 am with a small budget and their friends have to carry them out the club so how then same people get on a boat with an unlimited drink budget and can drink morning to night... NOT POSSIBLE. IT'S A SCAM. I WANT A REFUND. The same ** happened to us on Norwegian also. I think they got fake liquor and real liquor. Side by side.

Then every time we tried to go to dinner we had to wait or was told to go to a different restaurant. They had 4 people listed in my cabin but it was only 2 of us. Had my wife scared to sleep think someone was going to come in the room with a different room key. Every night it was a kid movie playing on the tv screen on the Deck. Try to order a drink while a pretty woman walk up beside you (male) the men bartenders will overlook you and serve and flirt with the ladies. Then we stopped drink alcohol. I was sober and bored on my birthday on the boat.

The freestyle soda machine was broke on the last day of the cruise and the bars shut down. So we could not get any soda for hours. I was so pissed that I paid all that money for the unlimited drink package and couldn't even get a soda or a real alcohol drink. So funny when I went to complain I found out it was others upset about the same thing. I been on a lot of cruises this was the worst cruise ever. I'm staying away from Norwegian & Royal Caribbean.

When we first arrived at our stateroom we didn't think much of it!! We laid on the bed and I thought I was laying on CARDBOARD!! The pillows all flat and I mean FLAT!!! As if they had been used for years without being changed. The couch in the room was so gross!! They cleaned it and after it dried it was still just as bad. I went to guest relations to ask if we could change rooms/get a different mattress/pillows.

The lady at the desk was nice but never really looked up from her computer as she typed in our complaint! And not once did she say she was SORRY!! So we go back to the room and finished unpacking, got ready for dinner at 8:30 PM, our meal took 3 1/2 hours, our waitress never smiled and acted like she was inconvenienced!! The food was DISGUSTING!! The Prime Rib tasted like it had been freeze dried. Everything was cold.

The next day I had gotten the suitcase out from under the bed and I found other peoples stuff, dirt and just crap!! Then we realized that a bag was on the couch and didn't belong to us!! The curtains were filthy and the carpet blew up when the balcony door was open. Then we found old food in the refrigerator that didn't even work!! We had decided at this point to just try and have a good time!! We had been with 2 other couples and they also thought the food was horrible and complained about getting our table moved.

Out of 9 days I think we met maybe about 5 or 6 employees in total that went the extra mile and even smiled. Our room attendant was the worst, when we first arrived my Fiance gave him 40.00 on top what we had already prepaid, to make sure we got taken care of. In 9 days we saw him maybe 6 times in total!! I emailed them and completed the survey that they sent and a week later still had not heard from anyone to address these issues. I finally called corporate offices and got ahold of someone in customer relations. I told him all about this, he said he would have to research the facts!! That really got my blood boiling. It was as if he didn't believe me. WOW The next day he called back and told me he could offer me a 10% discount on my next cruise not to exceed more than 154.00 per person. Are they kidding me, after the crap we put up with and the amount of money we spent... REALLY!!!

Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas Cruise January 20, 2017. Royal Caribbean Management/Reservations entered into a unilateral agreement with the Armenian Heritage Group to take over the Columbus Cove region of Labadee, Haiti during our recent cruise. The agreement allowed this group to fly Armenian banners/flags as well as bring speakers onto the island to blast their cultural music. This event resulted in the discontinuation of the normal island music. The musicians who were from Haiti were left to sit idle on a bench. The islanders depend on the tips and income from the CD's they sell while playing their music for our enjoyment. Not this cruise... As we were all made to listen to blaring noise. The anticipated experience while in Haiti was ruined. Armenian Heritage banners were also placed on the luncheon cabana welcoming this group. No welcome banner for the rest of the RC guests...

In addition, Royal Caribbean also allowed this same group to take over the pool on a sea day to play their loud music, hang banners and speak to us all. The rest of us that were relaxing either had to leave the pool area or be subjected, (in my opinion) to this less than pleasant experience. Apparently this group forgot that it was not just "their cruise." The unilateral agreement between Royal Caribbean and this group disrupted our vacation and breached the contractual agreement that we had with RC. This experience is not what RC advertised as the "Caribbean" experience. Rather, we were subjected to the Armenian Heritage experience if we wanted it or not.

I have no bias or issue with this group, they were displaying and enjoying their own cultural event, which without our knowledge was agreed upon and authorized by RC prior to this cruise. Had we been informed of these events and this unilateral agreement between the Armenian Heritage group and Royal Caribbean, we would have cancelled and/or changed our cruise as we did not enjoy the Armenian experience. I take issue with Royal Caribbean for allowing this group to in essence hijack our cruise experience. We were actually told on board by RC guest service representative Aline ** "if we did not like the Armenian music, dancing and public speaking, we could leave the pool". Clearly the mass number of Armenians on this ship was more important than a couple that were trying to enjoy their vacation.

Additional issues on board this ship included a cabin toilet that overflowed for 4 days without repair, as well as very subpar housekeeping. There was beach sand on the chair in our room on day one and it remained on day 9. The response from RC has been unsatisfactory. Royal Caribbean's position is that there is nothing that they are going to do and they are sorry that we did not enjoy our cruise experience. We actually received an email from Aleesha ** RC Customer Service, who had the audacity to attempt to educate me on cultural diversity. Again, this is not about cultures or diversity. When a cruise line decides to allow one group's wants to supersede the promised and advertised experience which affects all present on the same cruise, the cruise experience has now been altered which is not acceptable.

Clearly as a Platinum guest I am not the valued customer that RC professes that I am. Many changes have occurred with this cruise line over the last few years, none of them good. The value of the dollar now outweighs the value of customer service. Our sailing on January 20, 2017 will be our last with this cruise line. Norwegian and Holland America here we come!!!

We have cruised with RC 9 times. With every cruise you get less and less. They seem to go out of their way to squeeze every cent from you wherever possible. There is very little to NO loyalty to frequent cruises. They don't follow up on complaints. They charged us $1300.00 for an eight month old breastfed baby for which we only got a cot with no sheets or blankets.Their deserts are very bad in that they are just all sugar with no flavour or substance. Only staff who work for tips are civil towards you. The cocktails by the pool are pre-made and disgusting. One day the pool ran out of towels.

My first cruise was in 2007 and the menu in the dining room hasn't changed. Breakfast in the dining room... you are no longer offered pastries or orange juice. The shows were not worth going to apart from one which was the resident dancers and singers. You no longer get bath robes. You no longer get lobster in the dining room UNLESS you pay for it. I could go on forever. I will definitely be cruising with a different cruise line in the future. My friend has cruised with Princess and claims the food is amazing. What RC don't understand is it's the little things that make a difference and assuming people won't notice is not good public relations.

This was my second (and last) cruise with RC, both onboard the Independence of the Seas. While the first cruise was mediocre (with the bartenders and ports being the best part), this cruise (and our treatment) was disappointing to say the least. We booked through a Military Appreciation Vacation company and were looking forward to our first trip after our military retirement. With me were my husband, 1 yr old daughter, and senior mother and aunt. My aunt has medical/mobility issues so we requested a wheelchair upon our arrival, at the time of booking. At booking we also requested a king bed and crib. Upon our arrival on embarkation day, no wheelchair was available for my aunt. They took our name down and advised us it would be a 1/2 - 1 hour wait time. They told us to wait in an outside area that was crowded with other passengers waiting for wheelchairs and no room to sit down.

Since there was nowhere for my aunt to sit down we decided to take the chance and go through the line with her walker. Little did we know that the line moves at a snail's pace and security along the way are anything but pleasant. After about an hour in line, we finally got through and boarded the ship. Upon arrival in our room, the king bed was not set up, there was no crib, and the washroom was not cleaned. There was urine on the toilet seat, dirty toilet bowl, dirty floor, and no infant life vest. They did bring up a "child's" life vest shortly thereafter that was far too big for any 1 yr old to wear. We decided to go get a drink to start the day on a better note only to find that the bartenders were rude and ignored most of their customers. The ports were good (Labadee and Falmouth) but we were off the ship then.

On the day of disembarkation, wheelchair assistance was provided for my aunt. We all departed together and made our way down to the baggage claim area. A porter was assigned to us to assist with the baggage. My mother and I went through and collected our bags, gave them to our porter, and watched as he loaded each one onto the cart. Off we then went through customs and to our shuttle area. Once there the porter instructed us to get on the shuttle and he would take care of loading the bags onto the shuttle. We did as he requested and eventually made our way to the vehicle rental company (where the driver off-loaded all the bags). My husband then packed the vehicle and off we went. My aunt had a medical emergency that day and ended up in a Fort Lauderdale hospital. As such, we were forced to stay longer than expected in Fort Lauderdale (although we still planned to stay a couple days after the cruise).

Upon arrival at our hotel my mother noticed one of her bags was missing. Since the porter said he would put all the bags on the shuttle (and we knew we had collected them all), we believed that the rental car company must have it. Off we went and checked with the rental car company. They didn't have it. The only other thought was that someone accidently grabbed it at the rental car company (while the bags were all outside) and they would contact my mother (since RC requires all passengers clearly label their bags with their contact information). After a wk of being there, no call. We returned home to Canada and over 2 WEEKS after we disembarked, RC called my mother, said they found her bag (which the porter clearly did not put on the shuttle) and that she would have to pay them to have it shipped back to her. Completely unacceptable.

She did not lose the bag... Royal Caribbean did. Regardless, Royal Caribbean tried to get MORE MONEY (despite the thousands of dollars we already gave to them) from a senior who did nothing wrong. Shame on RC for their treatment of their customers. If it wasn't for customers, they wouldn't be in business. Then they had the audacity to get offended when I swore at them for asking me for a credit card to pay for the return of my mother's bag. The hypocrisy of them being offended by someone swearing at them when their own actions were offensive and disrespectful to paying customers, would be laughable if it weren't so darn sad.

I was very dissatisfied with the customer I received after my vacation. Long story short I put my credit card on file when on the ship. After my cruise not only did they charge my on-board expenses but they put an Additional $785 Hold on my card ($1500 hold roughly). I called Royal Caribbean customer service got hung up on 2x, and was told I was couldn't file a complaint, because it wasn't a "complaint" and that I had to wait 7-10 business days to release the hold. I finally got someone on the line to release my funds. Bottom Line only use Cash Credit on-board. NEVER AGAIN.

We have cruised several time before but this was the first time with Royal Caribbean. We were very happy with most features of the ship and found the food and accommodation excellent. The only problem we had was with the extremely poor exchange rate offered. We prefer to pay by cash and boarded the ship with Australian dollars. Unfortunately as they use US dollars you have to get it converted at the service desk.

I was extremely disappointed that we were not advised by RC that we would lose a significant amount of money due to their exchange policy. To cut a long story short if I was to exchange AU$900 to US$ at the service desk and not spend any money during the cruise, when I converted back I would be refunded only AU$700. That's $200 for the privilege of RC holding my money! To put it perspective for US travelers, if you withdraw US$300 to spend in an Australian port and get the RC ship to convert it to AU$ you would get about $350 instead of around AU$400.

The Royal Caribbean lost my luggage with a value of 7,500-10,000, and although I submitted all required documentation, they offer me a refund of 300. Nice service after you stayed at the most exclusive Royal suite. I guess the Royal service ends when you leave the boat.

Liberty of the Seas Jan 2017. The room was adequate, but not on GS level that we have come to expect from Royal Caribbean. We had a Grand Suite Guarantee and ended up with a Family Suite. The room around the beds was too small to accommodate our breathing equipment adequately in the first room (nor was there any view from the first room). This small room had a small standard shower, sink, & commode. It had two Pullman style beds to accommodate youngsters or a young family, but no closet in that room. The closet was in the main hallway. The Master bedroom was very narrow at the bottom of the bed not allowing a second person to help the first person to the restroom. There was adequate space for equipment in this room utilizing the refrigerator table, end tables, and vanity. The room had a single closet and an Oceanview window.

The Master bathroom was quite small, even smaller than a Junior Suite or perhaps almost that size. Not the facilities we are used to in a Grand Suite level, and not for when one person often has to assist the second person. Therefore, instead of enjoying leisurely baths, a shower in the small room was often required instead. We missed the lovely space of the Grand Suite and the lovely Bathroom. The balcony was very nice with two chaise lounges and a table with four chairs. The chairs were adequate, but have suffered much wear and tear. Most likely a combination of rough usage and being outdoors at all times.

The balcony afforded no privacy. Guests from upper floors could see into the balcony area easily, as well as those walking on the lower decks or from the floors below. The Living room area could make into another bed, but again, no place for breathing equipment or walking space if used as a bedroom for us. Although it would be nice for a young family. The Stateroom attendant was a darling and accomplished her daily tasks quickly and with a friendly demeanor.

I have been on 6 different cruise lines. The first week of Dec 2016, we set sail with Royal Caribbean. We had 17 family members with us. I have NEVER been so disappointed on any other cruise line. I'm a very easy to please person, but the following actually occurred, and I sincerely want others to know so they can select their vacations carefully.

We had contacted the cruise line 5 times to clarify that we had 2 family members with celiacs who could NOT eat gluten. Outside of the formal dining room, there was very little these family members could safely eat. Entertainment was not delivered as scheduled. Of all the nights, the substitute entertainment was the best. Dinner our first night took over 2.5 hours as orders were mixed up, long pauses between appetizers, main course, and dessert. NOTHING to eat after 9:30 PM. Are you kidding me? Pools closed at 9:30 PM? My kids and grandkids were so disappointed. NOBODY could explain the bill that was slid under our door regarding gratuities. My son has a master's degree and tried with over 5 people to get to the bottom of the hardcopy bill.

I completed the evaluation and requested for 4 weeks that someone contact me. I have never heard a word from them. I didn't want anything except to explain the need for them to let those with special diets know when booking that selections would be very, very limited. Plus, one of our family members got very ill even in the formal dining room. Her meal was either NOT gluten free or cross contaminated. We scheduled another cruise about 2 weeks after getting back from our Royal disaster. I cannot believe the difference from booking to the entire experience. If you're from Royal and reading this, please call or email me back. We will never book with you again!

Royal Caribbean has clean and beautiful ships. It provides plenty of activities to do on and off the ship. The food and lodging is very nice. They make you feel like a king with great service, friendly staff and fun entertainment. The dining experience really makes you feel well catered to and you are always treated with great respect and they do their best to make you happy. It's a bit pricier than others but you get what you pay for.

It was an amazing experience with Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. They had great service and always had fun stuff to do. They had everything we needed. From the time we left to the time we returned we had a wonderful time. I would recommend it to anyone and be sure to do all the events on the ship.

Let me preface this with saying we never complain! This was our 5th cruise with RCI and never had an issue or spoke with customer service until sailing Harmony. I travel with a child with allergies and always do my due diligence when booking by putting his allergies on the reservation and emailing RCI and this time even called to ensure that such a large ship can accommodate his allergies as we had only sailed on their smaller ships and was assured they would. Spent two hours after boarding speaking to head waiter and setting up meals in MDR and they confirmed like on our previous sailings we would order room service and go to windjammer and speak to head chef and have food made for him as MDR isn't always open.

We called room service to order FRIES. Yes just fries and was told they were too busy and for him to eat fruit which he hates. Went to windjammer, waited 30 min to speak to head Chef to order burger and fries and was again told they were too busy!! This went on for days! My son literally only could eat the small dinner in MDR and breakfast as they are closed most days for lunch! So while everyone is eating non stop he was left there to just watch!

Finally on day 5 while we were in Puerto Rico we spent the day looking for somewhere to buy some snacks for the remainder of the trip instead of going snorkeling like we planned! He stayed in the room the entire trip to prevent being treated so poorly by the staff because he had allergies! Besides this when we boarded we found out the itinerary had changed and the reservations and excursions we carefully planned all had to be rebooked and changed! Spent the entire first night in line trying to get everything rebooked!

For excursions they barely had anything available because it was so last minute! They had no snorkeling available which was the only thing my son wanted to do. This was his yearly birthday cruise! Had reservations for rubicon on our sea day and that was now a port day and the only time they had now was late night and we had to miss our show! Bar staff was extremely slow and rude, be prepared to wait 30 min for a drink and me and hubby always book one dinner for just the two of us because we eat all meals in MDR with son and don't like to eat in front of him.

We booked months before for 5th night at 9:30pm. At 9pm received a call in the room saying they decided to close early and we can either come now or not at all! I had just gotten out of the shower and hubby just went for a drink which always takes like 30min so no way we could have made it! Why let me make reservations and then decide to close early!! It was the one thing we were most excited to do and they cancelled on us and we couldn't rebook because they were already booked the next two nights of our cruise!!

Complete nightmare from start to finish, called RCI and after they first treated me like a liar they finally confirmed everything that I had said was true and offered to reimburse me for the money I spent in PR on food only after I send my receipt (good thing I save them) and said that shouldn't have happened and it will be a learning experience for them!

So glad my $5000+ I spent on that cruise was a learning experience for you!! Glad to know I spent that much money to sit in a room with a starving child that you assured me you could take care of!! If we had asked for anything crazy I would understand but literally just asked for fries everyday and was told everyday too busy and the fries are cooked in the grease with chicken so he couldn't have them as he is allergic to chicken! If you are too busy to change the grease then why can't you cook them in the oven??? And if you state that you have a separate allergy free kitchen you are telling me you don't have not one fryer to cook just fries that you don't cook chicken with??

Sailed on the Ovation of the Seas for Christmas 2016. This was their Holiday Cruise out of Sydney Dec 15. This cruise was not worth the extra cost. Totally disorganized from the start. Just trying to find people that had constructive information and able to direct you to the proper area was next to impossible. Once on the ship rooms were not available for the first hour. That was no problem as we needed to eat. That where it all went downhill throughout the whole trip. The food was average at best, the kitchen staff had a problem cooking meat, some came out as shoe leather. Restaurant service was slow and food came out warm to cold. Got the feeling if you wanted good food you were being forced to go to the specialty restaurants. Ordered a beer seldom asked if I would like a glass.

The complete ship was understaffed although most staff were very helpful. Only six on the service desk at any time for over four thousand people. Try to call for any service and the first language is Chinese right away. You get the feeling this ship is geared to the Asian market. I found a lady's ring and returned it to the service desk. Not a "thank you", never asked my name, room number or where it was found. How could the owner every thank someone. Had the same comment from two ladies who found a camera.

The ship was sparsely decorated for Christmas. Nothing in the restaurants just the main area of the ship. The tree was up and a few plants. Nothing started until Christmas Eve and by the 26th it was over. Remember this was promoted as a Holiday Cruise. Very disappointed. Have had much better Holiday Cruises with Princess. The impression given that there is unlimited Bumper Cars and other events however there is only one area for all these events so times are limited and waiting can be long. Unfortunately due the inclement weather we were unable to visit some ports in New Zealand. This put a damper on the trip. However the Captain made the correct decision. Safety first.

This ship is cheaply made as far a decor goes and won't take long to show its wear already chips out of the plastic wood in our cabin. It's not a year old. Cabins were poorly soundproofed but comfortable. No shampoo that's the next level. Every year there are less conveniences on RCI. Are they going the same way as the airlines extra cost for everything. I am one cruise away from the next level however the incentive to get there is not worth it. We are looking at other cruise lines that are all inclusive when you add everything up and take in the service you receive you are better off.

The food was substandard-like a buffet, but the cruise was very clean, orderly and the staff was friendly. It was wonderful, relaxing and fun. They have good choices for the itinerary. The biggest problem was it took us way too long to board the ship and for some senior citizens it was painful.

Royal Caribbean Next Cruise staff gave us a false advertisement flier while onboard Enchantment of the Seas for booking another cruise, and then would not honor their own terms and conditions. It stated, "30% off every guest, 50% reduced deposit, up to $150 instant savings, + up to $500 in onboard credit, + limited time offer kids sail free." When we attempted to book on 1/7/17 with the Next Cruise rep, Catalina **, she told us the kids sail free portion of the offer was not available in her system. She allegedly emailed her mgmt to inquire and was told the offer expired on 1/4 even though the flier stated it was available 1/5-1/31/17.

She told us "kids sail free" was supposed to have been removed from the flier. She then printed out new terms and conditions for that portion of the flier, showing it expired on 1/4. We insisted Royal Caribbean honor their error because they advertised it. We were told they would not and Catalina refused to give us the name of her manager. I contacted Royal Caribbean guest relations and despite us scanning our copy of the flier to them, they refused to acknowledge the flier or their error and just stated the offer expired.

The cruise was very relaxing. I love the gambling and the food is non stop. The ocean is just lovely, and I would go again and again.

I will address each issue by number so there is no confusion. 1. Arriving: We called ahead and informed Royal that we had a handicap person in our party of 10 and was there any provision for handicap to allow him to enter easy and not stand in line as that is next to impossible. We were told to tell the porter and there was a special entrance to help the handicap board. Upon arriving we removed our bags and was told to go stand in line. When we asked if there was any handicap assistance we were told not at this point. Luckily we brought a special chair for him to sit on as we moved along the line. Again we asked if there any special boarding for previous patrons as ourselves and we were told later there will be. Later was a joke. We waited in line just like any new comer except we went to a diamond line and waited there. Extremely bad customer service!

2. Our room: Our room was filthy. We had to put towels on the couches to dare sit down and the room smelled like someone used smoking vapors. We went to report it guest services and there was a 40-50 person waiting line and only 2 people at the desk. I waited in line for 50 mins to finally reach someone and explain the condition of the room. The next day the entire room was cleaned correctly. Why wasn't it cleaned properly the first time. As we walked to our room all of our party was noticing a musty order in the halls to our room. We inquired and were told they were aware of the problem and were replacing it. Again we had to endure that smell for 9 days.

3. Food and seating: Unlike other cruise lines we have taken there was only one place to eat for lunch or dinner unless you paid the price to get a special meal. The breakfast had no special omelet station. You had to go up and order it through another server and given a number. Most of the other items were the same everyday. Nothing new and different. We actually tried the dining room for one breakfast only to receive a lukewarm breakfast for my wife and stone cold pancakes and eggs for me. The pancakes the were served were white. Unless they use a different floor than my wife, I wouldn't have eaten them any way. Upon second try, I was delivered an very hot dish with a previously cooked over easy eggs and bacon to assure a warm breakfast.

The dining room was not much better. The dinner choices were nothing special. I never seen a shrimp cocktail served with more lettuce than actual shrimp. The Caesar's salad was dressing on the bottom of Romaine lettuce. The kitchen could take the time and actually make a good Caesar salad? The prime rib and lobster night was embarrassing for your head waiter. He was called to our table because the lobster tails on three our friends dishes were brown. Unfortunately, before we could stop him, one of our friend bit into one of the tails and spit it out immediately. It was so bad. Your head waiter's comment upon inspection of the three dishes was "oh sir that should not have been served".

A further comedy was a special dessert of "mile high lemon meringue pie", what was served was a 3 inch round tart crust with lemon filling if 1/4 inch and a tear drop of meringue. What a comedy of poor food options! Our waiter had no personality Michealangelo, sadly his helper Nadia was much more personable and attentive. The waiter next to us was joyful and full of fun, all of which we lacked. It was more important for Michaelangelo to read tomorrow's menu to us. Most of the tables around us were laughing and having fun except our table. That is normally the high point of every cruise. All of the entertainment in the dinner room was done on the floor above us.

4. Our "chops" night: After having our reservations confirmed by phone by the ship for our "chops" night we arrive to find our table was taken by a group that had made their reservation 15 mins before our arrival. We demanded our table as it was in a very nice spot of the restaurant. We were told that the staff will arrange for another table, which they did near a cramped area in the rear of the restaurant by the rear lavatory entrance. Not even a "can we buy your party a drink," nothing for this inconvenience. The saving grace was that Melvin our waiter was superb. Again the food was outstanding and very obvious that if you want good food, you pay for it.

5. Pool and towels: The pool chairs were in dire need of replacement and a further consideration of getting some elderly higher chairs that are made now to make it easier for the older folks to get up out of. The towels were dispensed at the end of the smoking area. Why would Royal inconvenience their guest and have them walk through a smoke filled area to get towels when it would have been just as easy to have them on the non-smoking side.

6. TV: The TV was HD quality but the channels were ridiculous. Royal showed reruns over and over again of old shows. The CNN channel was 24 hours behind. The two espn channels were current, at least you carried the championship football games. All other program was useless even your on board programming. A what not to miss on each island would have been a helpful change for your guests.

8. Casino: The casino was so poorly vented that it was choking to sit at any antiquated machine to play. The machines were so old that one member of our party had one of the machine in his basement. None of the machines were current. The none smoking tables were opened only when the smoking tables were filled. This is such a money maker for Royal. It amazes me that you couldn't make this area more appealing.

9. Additional room issues: Our toilet stopped working twice. This time it corrected itself and we were able to flush a few minutes after we found the problem. The second was at 11:30 in the evening and again we reported it. After an hour we called again and were told the tech was on break and it would be fixed as soon as he got back on break, that was at 1:30 in the evening.

10. Beds were like sleeping on the floor: When asked the room attendant if there was anything that could be done, they added a .5 inch foam pad that made things no better. We were told that is all they could do. The pillows we had smelled like oily hair and had them continue to bring pillows until there was no odor.

11. Departure: We chose to go out unassisted and in the past we were able to leave as soon as the ship was cleared and the ramp was ground level and we were off in 10 mins. Not this departure. We were herded into the dining room and eventually into the discussing casino atmosphere in such chaos that it was ridiculous. Handling the crowd were 2 young females who had no control whatsoever. Once the green light occurred and we were able to leave, a mass crowd began to push through the dining room to customs and out the door. Not only was it dangerous but also not controlled whatsoever. People were coming down elevators and pushing into a line where patience was thin and long wait times were the normal, to put it blunt, "it got ugly". My final comment is an obvious one and that is, this will be my last Royal cruise, there was nothing Royal about this cruise.

Cruises are the cheapest and best way to go on a long trip with great food, great shows and amazing service. The quality of the cruise was amazing and the value couldn't have been better. You get a great stateroom and fun destinations for a great price. I couldn't have been to 3 countries, with that level of service and accommodations for the money, without doing a cruise. I was impressed on every level. Everything was included and made our trip flawless. The shows are amazing and you can get great seats by showing up a little early. The food could've been just a little better, but on most of my cruises, they haven't varied. I only disliked one location and that was an experience to find out for myself.

I have taken about 10 cruises with RC over the past several years. They have great service and the ships are well-maintained. There is always something to do and most things are included except excursions and alcohol. It's a little more expensive than others but it is worth it. The best cruise that I took with RC was through the Panama Canal. It was truly amazing. The 14 nights went by way too quickly with great service the whole time. Only exception is the cruise I took on Oasis of the seas. It was too big and service seemed to be geared toward a younger crowd... quite manic! But I thoroughly enjoyed every cruise prior to that.

On December 29 RCl Anthem of the Seas acknowledged my daughter-in-law's $100 gift certificate on board for my January 2 cruise on Anthem of the Seas. On four separate occasions I went to guest services to secure the credit. Credit was denied on the basis that it had to be activated December 24 10 days before the cruise. When I pointed out that the gift certificate was purchased on December 29 they would not accept The fact that they accepted the $100 even though it was after the deadline for use! Absolute fraudulent behavior.

The cruise ship was very well kept, all the staff was polite and the food was amazing. I had a great experience on the cruise. I went with my family, so it was nice that they had activities suited to all ages. The cruise had activities like ice skating, rock climbing, a wave machine, multiple pools and more. The multiple options kept everyone busy and entertained. It also had many wonderful dining options. The itinerary options were pretty good. We were able to go on a Segway tour, a zipline course and of course relaxing at the beautiful beaches.

Royal is a beautiful cross financially and elegantly between the lower end "fun" cruise lines and the upper echelon in the elite classes. There is something for everyone from kids to seniors and all interests in between. There are lots of stuff to do, see and watch onboard. Itinerary is getting a little redundant but I'm sure that happens out of any port. They have excellent inclusions, dining is incredible and service and shows are excellent. Also, staff is always topnotch and there is a huge focus on cleanliness and safety. The cruise is top quality and it's WELL worth the money! Can't beat the value provided with Royal! Once you choose Royal you will be disappointed to float with any other line!

It was a great cruise but the heavy cabin doors exacerbated my shoulder problems. The dining room was great and our cabin steward was wonderful. But as a vegetarian I had a problem with the buffet because I don't eat meat and the other options were not at the right temperature. The long time in port allowed many options. However, the options for the 'programs' were mentioned but not offered which was disappointing. We could have paid less than we did.

I am reviewing my last cruise with Royal Caribbean aboard the Enchantment of the Seas on October 28, 2016. We had a decent size party celebrating the 50th birthday of a family member. Unfortunately, there were multiple issues with this cruise. First, there were other large parties on board and they had reserved several spaces on board the ship on a couple nights. Because of this, we were told that unless we're with that party we could not utilize these spaces. This information should have been presented to us so that we could make an informed decision about cruising or they should have reduced my cost since they reduced the amount of the ship I could use. Secondly, the waters were rocky (not their fault) so we had to skip a port. I suppose that due to the missed stop, the kitchen staff was overwhelmed. The majority of the time that we attempted to get room service we could not get anyone to answer the phone.

However, when we went to my aunt and uncle’s suite the phone was answered immediately. I totally understand paying special attention to your higher paying clients but I do not understand ignoring anyone else. When we got home I reached out to the Crown and Anchor group for assistance but got nothing. In fact they offered to put $50 on my account towards my next cruise which I promptly refused. At this point my next cruise may never happen as I've already began to research other lines. All in all this experience has soured our opinion of RC, our guests that had never cruised before are refusing to cruise again, and in return we were offered $50. Just keep that in mind when you consider this cruise line! I booked through Costco and plan to advise them of the poor experience as well. Maybe pressure from a booking agency will get their attention.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was founded in 1968 and has since developed two unique destinations, Labadee and CocoCay; it also sails to numerous popular worldwide cruise destinations.

• Adventure Ocean youth program: Adventure Ocean provides kid-friendly activities for babies, tweens and teens.
  • Flexible dining experience: Dining options range from casual dining venues to sophisticated meals in the dining hall.
  • Onboard casino: Gambling enthusiasts can take a seat at the Roulette table or slot machines while sailing to the next destination.
  • Performances: Movie fans can enjoy watching Tony award-winning performances.
  • Pre-sailing communication: Guests can take advantage of itinerary updates and online check-in; these updates let them know what is available to cut the wait time and when it's time to board the ship.
  • Best for The Royal Caribbean liner is best for active adults and families.

Compare Cruise Lines