2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.42/5

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

My family and I went on a 4-night cruise in Nassau, Bahamas on Navigator of the Seas during the week of Thanksgiving this year. I have been on about five cruises, four of which have been on Royal Caribbean and I am always very happy with my experience. This was a great trip as well however, the dining experience was not as great as I remembered from my past cruises. However, aside from the food, the entertainment on the ship was as great as usual. My family regularly went to the bars on the promenade in the evening for drinks and good music. Every night, there was plenty to go to including comedy shows, karaoke, parties on the pool deck and plenty of activities for small children.

On our days off the ship, we went to the Royal Caribbean owned island in Nassau, Coco Cay and had an amazing experience. There were water parks, wave pools, different beach areas, pool bars, and great service from the staff. This is a great site for families as there is plenty to do for people of all ages. On our other day off the ship, we took one of the Royal Caribbean excursions and enjoyed a nice boat tour around the island and an evening sunset cruise that had free rum punch and great tour guides!

On our day at sea, we also got massages and facials at the spa onboard. We received stellar service during our treatments and it was such a relaxing experience. On the cruise, photographers are all around and capture great moments of you and your family. So, in the end we were able to select our favorite photos and compile a photo book that was just sent to our house. The price was a good deal at about $150 to capture our experience in a high-quality book. My family and I overall had a great trip and will continue to cruise with Royal Caribbean in the future.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

When my mother turned 60 I struggled with the perfect gift to give her. We decided that she would very much enjoy a family cruise to western Caribbean so I booked it with insurance and paid for it in full in January 2019. Fast forward to September 2019 and she received the devastating news that she had stage 4 lung cancer. She had a lung drain placed and has chemo and immunology every week. Doctors were worried about her ability to fight infections on such a large ship with many people from all over the world so they suggested she not go.

Now the second devastation in less then 2 months. We call the insurance and had detailed explanation of the process and submitted our paperwork. In less than 3 weeks we got back every dime we spent except the cost of insurance (which I totally understand). If I can offer anyone a piece if advice get the trip insurance for it because you never know. Thank you Royal Caribbean for making this transition a bit easier. We will definitely be back once she is well enough to travel!!!

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

They will usually offer all sorts of upgrades for rooms and you can bid on these which I did. Depending on your budget and level of activities you plan to participate in on the cruise a regular balcony will be sufficient but the suites are also very nice, roomy and the grand suites are excellent, with a separate partition for the bedroom and living room area and a small dining area. The bathroom for this suite was very comfortable and roomy as compared to the regular rooms as the showers in those are cramped but workable. All of the closet space has ample room for cruising unless you pack for several weeks and even then you'll still have enough room.

The one big complaint is the drink packages that we had and the availability of the soda machines were not very convenient nor were the ice cream machines. There were the main dining hall and the atrium for the ship, but this was for Mariner of the Seas. The staff on the ship was nice but do be careful if you go to the salon because they will try to sell you all sorts of overpriced products which are unnecessary. I would also be wary of the gem shops if you go to Nassau Bahamas because their "bargain price " is no bargain!

Original review: July 31, 2019

Went on 2 cruises with Royal Caribbean. Was pleasantly surprised when on our second trip, the cruise line evicted a group of 20 drunk college kids in Key West. They were making the trip unbearable for the rest of the customers. The first cruise, our ship had been recently remodeled which was nice. I had difficulty figuring out how to turn on the hot water for my shower, and it was the quickest shower ever. But we had great fun in the Bahamas and got some great souvenirs.

The 2nd trip was to Mexico. We had a good time there too. Just wish the cruise lines were more honest with the "atmosphere" in Belize outside of the port. (Very sketchy) The water was beautiful and we had a great time. Very good memories. I would recommend Royal Caribbean for the older crowd because if there is an issue, they make no qualms about putting unruly passengers off the ship. Generally speaking, Carnival cruises cater to the younger crowds, which is why we didn't choose them.

Original review: April 13, 2019

My family and I specifically chose the Empress of the Seas for its itinerary - Cozumel, Havana (overnight), and Nassau. After reading some of the reviews on Cruise Critic, I was a bit worried about sailing on this specific ship. No worries! My family and I were presently surprised at the service and how well maintained the ship was. The ship is the smallest in the NCI fleet, which was fine by us! Mega ships are overrated; being on a smaller ship makes it much easier & quicker to learn the layout of the ship and you can walk from one end to the other in 5 minutes!

Excellent dining experience in both the dining room and the Windjammer cafe! Huge selection of foods available...and quality of the food was very good to excellent. Desserts at the buffet were much better than I remember from my past experiences on NCL and Carnival. There were options for beverages at the Windjammer for those who chose not to purchase the pricey drink packages-lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch, water, and coffee. The coffee was much too strong for my taste, but it was decent. Staff on the ship couldn’t have been more helpful-from Deny (our room attendant), to our waiters in the dining room-Valento and Viny, and who can forget the hilarious activities staff who made playing trivia every day a hoot!

Our accommodation was an oceanview stateroom. Yes, the rooms are small, but how much time do you actually spend in your room!?! I don’t know about anyone else, but I go on cruises to spend time in the ports of call, on the sun decks, and at activities, not wasting away in my room!!! Past posts indicate the ship is in poor repair and musty/dirty. I can tell you that I found none of this on the Empress of the Seas. I am a neat freak so I would have definitely noticed these things! No areas of the ship were closed off due to maintenance when we sailed (as I had read in previous posts). The pool and hot tubs were well maintained and were never shut down.

Embarkation and debarkation when stopped at ports of call was quick and painless. I was a tad worried about getting sick on a cruise, given what is publicized in the media so often. The staff went above and beyond to encourage passengers to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before meals to help with the spread of germs. I can tell you as a nurse I sincerely appreciated this! Shout out to Neilbert for greeting us at the Windjammer Café multiple times a day and encouraging us to “washy washy”!!! I would definitely consider traveling on the Empress of the Seas in the future!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

My husband and I purchased cruise tickets for our 1st year anniversary. It took us 8 months saving for our trip. The day comes and We get to the port and they informed us, my husband cannot go on the cruise for improper documentation as a US citizen. (He served 27 years on the air force, born in Puerto Rico (military base). Currently works for the Veterans Administration.) He showed 6 US identifications, 2 passport, one diplomatic passport (expired), retired military ID, Fl Drivers License and ORIGINAL birth certificate (blue prints).

Royal Caribbean insisted for us to make phone calls to Puerto Rico and get the birth certificate from 10 years ago in only 3 hours we had left. We said, "What?" Bottom line, we spent over $2700.00 on our cruise and they did not let my husband board in. At that time I had to make a quick decision and board myself without him. Keep in mind this was our 1st wedding anniversary. WOW!!!.. The only good thing was there was that, there was some friends of us boarding as well with us.

Long story short, I went on a cruise without my husband on our 1st anniversary.. SUCKS. After cruising for 6 days, last day we all got sick, 3 couples. All of us ended up at the emergency room, where they prescribed us antibiotics. What a hell of a cruise. I then decided to call the cruise line for a refund of my husband's ticket and was told that they can only refund $97.00 taxes only.

They literally ripped us our 8 months of saving. I wonder how many people they do not let go on board and then steal their money. I would NEVER EVER buy any other tickets from Royal Caribbean, Brilliance of the Sea EVER... Picture you on your 1st anniversary without husband on a cruise. If you want to get ripped off and get sick please call Royal Caribbean Line.

-Another unhappy customer.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I booked a cruise for my honeymoon in March and called to inquire about changing to a balcony room. The agent stated they were locked out of their system. I then get an email for the same reservation I had asking for $500. I spent 2 hours on the phone trying to resolve this and at the end was offered an $8 bottle of wine for the inconvenience. I will never book with them again in the future. Go to a different cruise line this one's customer service is awful.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Our family booked a number of excursions for a recent trip to NZ. Unfortunately, we had to cancel the excursions, and received a letter advising the funds will be credited back on our credit card. It has now been over 2 months since this letter and we still have not received the refund (of almost $4,000) despite multiple phone calls and emails from our travel agent. The silence from the cruise line has been deafening. It is completely outrageous and unfair. Terrible way to treat customers.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

We took a family cruise on Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas over New Years 2019-2020. There was a total of 10 of us. The experience on the boat was good. The flights going were hell. The cruise line booked our flights on their air2sea promotion. We missed our connecting flight in Chicago and had to stay overnight and get a flight the next day to Houston then to Cozumel Mexico, where we had to stay another night before we could board the ship at the first port since the airlines could not accommodate 10 of us. When we were boarding that morning and we still waited approximately 30 min before someone could come and get us. They knew we were getting on the ship that morning.

Called Royal Caribbean and ask for a refund as we had paid for a 7 day cruise and only got 5. Royal Caribbean said not our problem air2sea problem so contacted United Air Lines who Air2Sea contracted for their flights. United Air Lines offered a voucher for 150.00 per person to be used within a year, which we refused. It cost us 750.00 dollars American for meals and drinks, 270.00 dollars in transfers plus 2 days missed on the cruise. On the cruise we had already paid for meals, drink package, transfers and gratuities ahead of time. As of this time nothing has happened.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I attempted to make a reservation & was originally told no 2 person cabins were available, but the agent would check to see if an exception for a larger room could be offered. I was put on hold for quite a while & when she came back she said an exception could be made, they would book the room at 3 people and the 3rd person would be removed before charging me & I was quoted a price. I accepted the quote. We made the reservation & I was placed on another long hold, she came back on the phone to charge me. She said they would not be able to do it. I spoke with 2 supervisors who said sorry but they would not honor the price. Bad customer service. They should honor the quote I was given. Not my fault she didn't check with correct person.

Not sure about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was founded in 1968 and has since developed two unique destinations, Labadee and CocoCay; it also sails to numerous popular worldwide cruise destinations.

• Adventure Ocean youth program: Adventure Ocean provides kid-friendly activities for babies, tweens and teens.

• Flexible dining experience: Dining options range from casual dining venues to sophisticated meals in the dining hall.

• Onboard casino: Gambling enthusiasts can take a seat at the Roulette table or slot machines while sailing to the next destination.

• Performances: Movie fans can enjoy watching Tony award-winning performances.

• Pre-sailing communication: Guests can take advantage of itinerary updates and online check-in; these updates let them know what is available to cut the wait time and when it's time to board the ship.

• Best for: The Royal Caribbean liner is best for active adults and families.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team