3.64/5

887 Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 13, 2019

My family and I specifically chose the Empress of the Seas for its itinerary - Cozumel, Havana (overnight), and Nassau. After reading some of the reviews on Cruise Critic, I was a bit worried about sailing on this specific ship. No worries! My family and I were presently surprised at the service and how well maintained the ship was. The ship is the smallest in the NCI fleet, which was fine by us! Mega ships are overrated; being on a smaller ship makes it much easier & quicker to learn the layout of the ship and you can walk from one end to the other in 5 minutes!

Excellent dining experience in both the dining room and the Windjammer cafe! Huge selection of foods available...and quality of the food was very good to excellent. Desserts at the buffet were much better than I remember from my past experiences on NCL and Carnival. There were options for beverages at the Windjammer for those who chose not to purchase the pricey drink packages-lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch, water, and coffee. The coffee was much too strong for my taste, but it was decent. Staff on the ship couldn’t have been more helpful-from Deny (our room attendant), to our waiters in the dining room-Valento and Viny, and who can forget the hilarious activities staff who made playing trivia every day a hoot!

Our accommodation was an oceanview stateroom. Yes, the rooms are small, but how much time do you actually spend in your room!?! I don’t know about anyone else, but I go on cruises to spend time in the ports of call, on the sun decks, and at activities, not wasting away in my room!!! Past posts indicate the ship is in poor repair and musty/dirty. I can tell you that I found none of this on the Empress of the Seas. I am a neat freak so I would have definitely noticed these things! No areas of the ship were closed off due to maintenance when we sailed (as I had read in previous posts). The pool and hot tubs were well maintained and were never shut down.

Embarkation and debarkation when stopped at ports of call was quick and painless. I was a tad worried about getting sick on a cruise, given what is publicized in the media so often. The staff went above and beyond to encourage passengers to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before meals to help with the spread of germs. I can tell you as a nurse I sincerely appreciated this! Shout out to Neilbert for greeting us at the Windjammer Café multiple times a day and encouraging us to “washy washy”!!! I would definitely consider traveling on the Empress of the Seas in the future!

Original review: April 8, 2019

I just get out of Mariner of the Seas; 04-08-19. It was my second time cruising with RCCL; the first one back on 10-2017, was a nightmare; Majesty of the Seas. We give RCCL a second chance and this time was totally Amazing. First the only two good things from Majesty of the Seas, Ricky entertainment director and Daniel; food and beverage, server from Colombia; were here in the Mariner of the Seas. We was very happy to see them again, they both always pass our expectations; all they do, they do it with passion; people like them is what any cruise should had. Rímel and Angelo, our servers in our dining room; very nice, super cordial and respectful, they really love what they do; we really enjoy been served by them and we will love to see them again in our future cruise. Overall, the Ship was great, great service; we really enjoy it. We will definitely do more cruises with RCCL. Our cabin number was 9337.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have cruised with Royal Caribbean 3 other times (Majesty of the Seas, Freedom of The Seas & Grandeur of the Seas). This was my 4th and IT WAS A FANTASTIC TIME! This cruise line has never let me down, each experience being memorable and without issues. This ship has technology and fun around every corner and will not disappoint. The embarkation and debarkation was simple and fast. We enjoyed all that this new ship had to offer. Loved our time in Two70 and the Solarium the best but late night pizza and the offering in the Windjammer were great as well. The shows were fun an imaginative (Spectra's Cabaret in Two70, and "The Gift" and "We Will Rock You" in the main theater). We loved hanging out in the music hall to listen to the Bon Jovi tribute band and play pool.

The 3D movies were a treat. I found the staff to be professional, respectful and attentive. My feeling after reading all these other reviews is maybe your bad experience was on you. Prices for things like spa treatments change due to specials and the internet package goes down because they are charging you for less days to use it... Hello McFly! You are told day one when you purchase the cruise that your total is due three months before sailing... if you don't pay you lose your rooms... it's that simple. Reminding you about it is a courtesy... not a right. I'm not saying that some may not have run into a bad situation or someone on a bad day. We are all human, give them a break... I'm sure things like this happen on the other cruise lines as well Good and Bad.

And just for the record I am not exclusive to Royal Caribbean, I have also sailed with Carnival and Norwegian both of which were fantastic also. Like I said overall if you had a bad time... start by looking at yourself first. I for one Love this cruise line and recommend it to anyone wanting to have a great time. Did I mention they also have bumper cars, roller skating and an XBox lounge all free to you. You gotta try them out.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

We took our twin 9 yr. old grand-daughters on the Royal Caribbean Allure. To say the least, we loved it. Yes, there were 4,000+ passengers, but it never seemed like there were that many people. The girls loved the water activities geared for various ages and also the classrooms with wonderful activities led by certified teachers. While kids are there, adults can do what they'd like to do. At dinner, we all loved our servers and though the food was fine, it wasn't terrific. Free musical ("Mamma Mia"), ice skating, diving and water shows. All were wonderful family activities.

During the week, there are 2 parades with movie characters... the girls wanted to see it twice. One twin loved the rock wall and zipped past a middle-aged gentleman while the other learned how to use the Flow-rider. The breakfast with characters from movies such as "Kung-Fu Panda" was OK, but probably better for younger children. All in all, we had a wonderful family vacation especially since we took advantage of a "kids go free" offer.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Royal Caribbean has very clean ships that are a little more luxurious than average, not cream of the crop, but maybe a small step up from Carnival. They have really good shows, one broadway-style show we saw was a full 90 minutes and was the best show I’ve ever seen at sea. It received a 2-minute standing ovation, then another after the encore. Lots of fun in the sun, water slides...

On the downside, there aren’t as many options for food outside of the main evening dining, especially if you are roaming around at night or mid-afternoon. Several little cafes and coffee shops were purchase only, which is a drag when you already paid for your meals included. Don’t get me wrong—they feed you very well, but buffet choices and options around the ship were a little lacking compared to Carnival. Dinner always had some great choices. Formal breakfast dining was usually pretty good too, but waiters didn’t come around a lot at the morning shift.

We found ourselves walking around looking for our one order that wasn’t out yet or to self-serve coffee and juice more than once. Of course, RC is very competitive with booking rates, but they make it up in alcohol and gambling, just like about every other line out there. Lots of jewelry and painting auctions, with sales being announced often. We had a great time on our one and only cruise with RC, but we think maybe Carnival is a little more inclusive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Original review: June 19, 2019

Me and my wife took our honeymoon on the Liberty of the Seas in May of 2019. I enjoy poker so I entered the "Royal Poker Tournament", ($100 buy-in) which 1st prize (only 1st won any prizes) a free cruise for 2, or if they do not have enough players $1500. I explained to the staff that I am an active duty service member and will be deployed when the 1st prize cruise would take place, and would like to know if I win, can I be compensated cash or other. They told me and my wife yes, they would work with us and to enjoy the tournament.

I came in 1st, and upon winning was told no I have to take the cruise and to call the casino when we get to shore to be compensated with cash. One month and a dozen phone calls later I was not awarded any prize, told that myself and my wife were lying, and that casino staff were not at fault. I have plenty more to say about the overall cash grab that is a Royal Caribbean cruise, but had I known I would be called a liar on my honeymoon and waste $100 on a poker tournament, I would have taken a different cruise line.

Original review: June 19, 2019

There was a issue everyday. I spent my trip at guest services. I cruise often, it was my first Royal Caribbean experience. The issues started small, I was in the wrong room. Easy fix and it's the first day of vacation, I was understanding. On the 2nd day I was stuck in a elevator and there were very unconcerned about guest being stuck in a hot elevator. On my 3rd day my WiFi didn't work on their private island so I was away from my group since I had a early morning excursion. They were understanding in fixing it and refunded me that day, no biggie right. Yes big issue. Instead of getting a credit they refunded my whole prepaid internet package and recharged me.

Day 4 I go to guest services about internet charges. The lady said the manager I need will fix it in the morning and again they attempt to double charge me. I get ready to get off the ship and asked again to go to guest services, after being in the long exit line. This is when I find out about the refund and recharge. We are 5 days later, they never even refunded me and as I talk to customer service they attempt to justify a double charge. Now I'm waiting on a real refund. That's not including the fact we had only 1 towel animal the whole cruise and they ran out of lamb chops for dinner, promised it for the next night and nothing but excuses. This cruise line seem to train people to say they will fix it and never do.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I will never travel with RCCL again, 15 years of loyalty and thousands of pounds means nothing to them. They are nothing but a standard large corporation that has no morals or willingness to help their loyal customers in times of despair.

Original review: June 10, 2019

On 3/28/19, I called Royal Caribbean and booked my cruise for the 6 NIGHT CANADA & NEW ENGLAND CRUISE on the Adventure of the Seas, departing from Cape Liberty, NJ, on 5/25/19. During the recorded phone call on 3/28, I specifically asked the Royal Caribbean representative if daycare would be available for my 12-month-old child. I was told "yes" and was even given hourly rates and approximate hours of operation. Being guaranteed this daycare arrangement, I paid $2957.06. After boarding the ship on 5/25/19, I found that I had been lied to, as there was NO daycare available for children under the age of 3. I purchased this cruise only because I was told there would be daycare available for my child.

During a phone call on 6/10/19, at approximately 4p CT, with Nel at Royal Caribbean, the company offered me a refund of only $350 and a voucher for 25% off a future cruise, to be used in the next year, as a result of their error. I gave nearly $3,000 to Royal Caribbean for a product that they guarantee me but then did not deliver. I was sold a product under false pretense. I would not have paid the nearly $3,000 for this misrepresented product. The compensation I was offered does not fairly compensate for my loss based on Royal Caribbean's mistake.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I have had the opportunity to work with this company on several occasions. All, times it has been pretty awful. I am now done. Most recently, I traveled on one of their ships and participated in a onboard slot tournament to win a free cruise for 2. After doing winning, they informed me that it was not transferable and although it interfered with another cruise I had previously booked on one of their ships, oh well, too bad for me, they would not change the date of the free trip. Instead, they suggested I make other arrangements for the cruise I already had booked with them although it would cost me hundreds to do so.

They also issued me a $300 certificate towards any new booking as a casino credit. They would allow me to utilize this credit to upgrade the room on the free trip. After making alternate arrangements at a substantial penalty for the previously booked trip, I went back to book my free cruise and use my offer to upgrade. Guess what, not possible according to them. I could upgrades for HUNDREDS More per person. Far too much time wasted with this company. Go elsewhere for good customer service, you won't find it here.

Original review: June 1, 2019

October 2018 My husband paid for our trip to the Bahamas for the end of June 2019. He called in to join dining plans with my sister at the end of April. Come May my sister informed me we are no longer joined in the dining plan. He found out that our reservation was cancelled out?!?! We have spent hours on the phone to customer service, providing bank documentation and still no resolution. We are given escalation ticket numbers that seem to be no help to shorten the process. Still having to give basic information 3 to 6 times as well as explaining that our original reservation numbers don't come back to us since they cancelled out our reservation. 5/29 I spoke to a rep named Pablo, he told me that I would have to wait till Friday 5/31 for the escalations department to try and reactivate our reservation or to regenerate a new reservation.

My husband called in and spent 2 hours or arguing with 3 people, which all claimed we didn't have anything escalated and we didn't send in bank statements. Finally he got in contact with a manager after she as well argued with him she found everything. We still have no resolution. Now we are being told payment needs to be credited by accounting on Monday for our new reservation to be processed. MONDAY. I have no guarantee and I know come Monday the call that we were told would be made to us won't come and after my husband gets home and I get my 1 year old to sleep we will be spending another night on the phone with Royal Caribbean's customer services reps repeating this story in sure numerous times. OUR FIRST TIME SAILING AND OUR LAST.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Royal Caribbean cancelled our cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. Called to get refunded on May the 8th. Said it would be refunded in 7 to 10 business days. Now it is the 29th of May and still not refunded. They charged me right away, but still can’t refund the same card they charged. My family has cruised many times with RC but this instance has tarnished all of the fun we have had in the past. Extremely disappointed.

Original review: May 28, 2019

It took me over 3 months to FINALLY get my money back after filing a claim for having prostate cancer surgery prior to our cruise. Month after month the insurance company kept asking me for more proof! Why didn't they ask all at once? Because they were then able to drag their feet thereby holding onto my money for 3 additional months. The WORST travel protection - BEWARE. You are at their mercy. What a racket!

Original review: May 28, 2019

Royal Caribbean International - WORSE EXPERIENCE EVER. We experienced the worst trip EVER on Royal Caribbean’s Majesty of the Seas to Cuba. To start when we booked the trip I asked for a window with a view... Our view was of the lifeboats. Ok charged for a window but going to make the most of our trip. They delayed our departure and ended up rallying us in like cattle and mid way through our cruise they tell us that the credit card was never added to my husband’s sea-card although we booked everything together and I checked in online entering all information then having to repeat at terminal. An hour of our vacation to fix at Guest Relations desk.

Not only did they have a Q&A where they used a scare tactic to make you buy excursions (you may be turned back to the ship if you haven’t purchased an excursion), the food was very poor, and we even had a waiter give us the bread from the table that had left and then tell us it’s the same when I told him I didn’t want leftovers. NOW I look and see that they charged us gratuity (which we tipped throughout the cruise in cash) $14.50 per person per day and the answer I got when I call Royal Caribbean was... "You should have read your emails before boarding and if you didn’t want to be charged you needed to go to Guest Relations desk before leaving the ship. The charges are non-refundable!"

Since when is gratuity an obligation, I’m big on tipping but it is based on the level of service NOT obligation. And the lines at Guest Relations are a joke... Literally takes hours from your vacation which defies the whole purpose of a vacation. I literally went 2 times and each time spent 40-60 minutes waiting. Using the phone doesn’t work. They put you on hold and never come back. HORRIBLE. DO NOT spend your vacation time & hard worked money on Royal Caribbean International Cruises unless you like to work on vacation... Reading emails, going to the Guest Relations desk - which they probably know most guests don’t want to spend their time doing that.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Experiencing our first cruise was a major disappointment. Staff members lack efficiency to resolve issues in a timely, courteous manner on the Royal Caribbean, Harmony of the Seas cruise ship. For starters, on May 12, 2019, when boarding the ship and once my family and I found our cabin our key cards would not work to open the door. This situation began around 130 p.m. Went to the customer service desk to get resolve, new cards were made. Again, it didn’t work we then returned to customer service desk. Once again, they made new key cards, which did not resolve the problem. At this point we are approaching 3:15 p.m. only to be told nothing else can be done because maintenance can’t be reached as everyone is busy due to getting ready for the 4 p.m. mandatory emergency drill required for all. The time in which we able to enter our room was approximately 4:30 p.m.

A more efficient and considerate alternate to this situation would have been for the customer service representative to send maintenance to the room after the first and no more than after the second attempt of not being able to enter the room. Secondly, my family and I sat for a “My Time Dining” experience at 5:15 p.m. shortly after the prior incident. One of the table place settings at the table presented a fork that had deep serrated marks on both outside prongs of the fork. It looked as though it had been chewed up in a garbage disposal. Appetizers were ordered only to find a short black coarse hair cooked into the baked cheese of the “Baked French Onion soup.” If all this wasn’t enough of a deterrent to walk away, the pork chop (main course) that was brought to the table was uncooked, “RAW!” Red, and bright pink to be exact, which was served to our child. The raw pork was sent back with the assistant waitress with no resolve.

When our main waiter returned to our table he was asked if he was aware of the raw pork that was returned. His reply was short, inconsiderate and rude, stating he wasn’t the only person to address this with, he was one person and very busy. This obviously could have been dealt with in a much more professional manner, especially considering all the occurrences since first sitting down for the meal. Moreover, another restaurant was attempted later that evening, once again, hair was found inside the food and the response from staff member was that he would let someone know, that was all.

Exhausted from the day’s events, we decided to talk to customer service the next day. The customer service representative was eventually able to get in contact with the Maitre’d of the restaurants. He spoke with us and offered a dinner, but without our children. I found this to be inconsiderate, seeing how our kids (teenagers) endured the bad experience as well. Declining the original dinner offer the Maitre’d eventually arranged for a dinner that would include our children.

A good amount of time was spent trying to resolve multiple issues that took considerable amount of time away from our vacation and family. The manner in which the situations were or were not handled resulted in undue stress and frustration that could have been alleviated if staff members would have addressed issues in a timely and courteous manner.

Original review: May 19, 2019

So we booked 3 staterooms for myself (celebrating a medical school graduation), my parents (celebrating an anniversary) and my bro and his gf. It is day 2 of 7 and I already want to leave. For what we paid for this is not worth it. The effort we went through on land and over the phone to book things only continued on board. The three cabins over 12k, the upgraded meal plan (you can not book until you board) you can't get a 7pm reservation for (we got on the boat at 1, and by then our options were mostly 5:30 or 8, and we booked shows at 8:30).

I had to find after we set sail parts of my luggage down the hall in front of a different stateroom. My aunt as a Christmas gift gave us all gift cards, but they lost them as they upgraded and reassigned my room after the purchase was made. What this ship does is say they have all these things and make small intimate spaces of multiple things on the same level of the ship that could seat more if you merge two "attractions". Which makes it difficult to accommodate multiple people at the same place on the biggest ship in the world. The only worthwhile thing is the drink package. Which you will need since you need to self medicate. My Point is for this $$$ I rather pay less and be on NCL. I feel at this price point you are destined to fail. What I expect from Royal Caribbean at this price is the best thing since slice bread, they are not.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I booked 4 balcony cabins. Rates went lower within 48 hours, they made reasons to not refund my money. I could have saved $1800. I will go on a better cruise line, with better customer service. They just eat money. They refused to give any compensation. This is my first time in Royal Carribean cruise. I don't want to tip even a single person on cruise now, because I already feel I have been overcharged. I hope your ships burn.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I had booked a cruise with Royal Caribbean through Direct Line Cruises and paid a deposit of $900. The deposit was paid directly to the Royal Caribbean payment gateway through my credit card. Royal Caribbean confirm that as per their records the balance payment was to be made by 6th May. However, despite having my credit card charge details on the 2nd May, Direct Line Cruises did not claim the amount from the credit card. Instead they cancelled the booking on the 3rd for nonpayment, Now I am told that my booking stands cancelled and deposit forfeited. Both the agent and the Royal Caribbean are blaming each other. Obviously both are colluding in this fraud. Even so it is for Royal Caribbean to resolve this and they collected the money from me. They are responsible for the actions of their agents and cannot hide behind them.

Original review: May 9, 2019

BEWARE. We booked a trip in March for 12 perople, non-refundable, but were told if we cancelled we would still get a credit for each person. Well, we put down a deposit of 3000.00. Then after plans changed we called to cancel in May. I realized we would be forfeiting a portion of the 3000.00, because that's what we agreed to. So called the cruise line, Here's the way they did it: They credited back the 150.00 dollars per person. BY PERSON!!

That means that my minor children, if they go on a cruise by themselves get a 150.00 NONTRANSFERABLE credit. So, I Can't use the remaining 1800.00 credit towards a Cruise for my wife and I. Also the other people who couldn't go for whatever reasons have a 150.00 credit. All the money was paid on my Credit card, therefore I just bought 12 people 150.00 per person credit, and can't use any of that.

It's all designed to take your money and never give it back. BTW the cruise is a popular cruise in November, and will get fully booked for sure. So the Cruise line just managed to screw me out of 3000.00 unless, now that they've ROYALLY pissed me off, I get everyone back together and we go anyway. Fat chance of that ever happening. I will never book anything with Royal Carribean again. And you know what, come to think of it, it was almost worth the money to learn to stay away from Royal Caribbean.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Before I begin I would like to clarify that I hate posting any reviews much less negative ones but this case calls for a terrible review. I am set to sail on the Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas on 6/23. I received an email that our itinerary changed because of the ship having engine propulsion issues. My negative review begins with the fact that they have no concern for how customers feel about getting on a defective ship. I’ve contacted them twice and both times I’ve been told that they are “sorry” but there is nothing they could do for me. They not only refuse to refund my money but they also refuse to change us to a different ship or sail date. Basically all they say is they are “sorry”. I’ve explained to them that my concern is not the itinerary change but getting on a ship that has issues I am extremely disappointed with Royal Caribbean and I will NEVER sail with this company again.

Original review: May 5, 2019

The check in process for this ship was over an hour and only compensation they gave us was a warm bottle of water and then once to our room there was dirty sheets and pillow cases. Pools were too shallow and hot tubs were dirty. Never enough towels provided. Ports were too short and friends received complimentary strawberries. We never did and was never told about anchor package. We spent a lot of money and very disappointed.

Original review: May 3, 2019

We were notified 11 days before our sail date that because of a technical issue our itinerary was now changing from St. Thomas to San Juan and lessening our time in Nassau. We are very upset to say the least. We purposely chose a cruise that was not going to San Juan as we have been there before and have no interest in returning. Weather is one thing but this is your mechanical issue which I have just been reading has been an ongoing issue. You have now devalued this cruise tremendously. So we are paying a lot of money for a week's cruise with two ports. We choose our cruises because of the ports not to just sit on the ship. The really frustrating part in the nonchalant attitude from RC and the repeated statement that “it’s in the Terms and Conditions”. No rescheduling, credits or discounts have been offered either. This will be our first cruise with RC and will definitely be our last.

Original review: May 3, 2019

We purchased a long waited and saved for cruise. After booking the cruise on the Allure with a dream stop in St. Thomas they upped and changed ports because of a mechanical problem. A problem they had had previously and apparently not correctly repaired. When we tried to get relief they told us too bad and be thankful that we had two other nice ports to stop at. What a scam, throw out a special place to stop for the bait and then switch it out. SHAME SHAME SHAME.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I’m so upset. Allure is having issues with its problems with its propulsion system and changed its port from St Thomas to Puerto Rico. No compensation. Wtf. I spent over 5k for three rooms and they are so greedy that they are still sailing. I called the resolution center and they said corporate policy state that they can change and do anything they want basically. I will be calling them tomorrow but I am not going on a ship with mechanical issues and a port I did not pay for. I should stick to Carnival. Their customer service Dept is ridiculous. I want my money back or change ships.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Dispute change of itinerary without consult or changing boats. I have traveled your line as well as members of my group and I have never felt more taken advantage of than today. My party and I booked a trip to go to a specific destination on the cruise ship for a 7 day stay on Allure of the Seas for this upcoming September.

We were informed on May 1st the following: "We look forward to welcoming you on board Allure of the Seas for our sailing and have an important itinerary change to share with you. We'll be reducing our speed because of a technical matter with one of the ship's three propulsion pods. As a result, we've had to make an adjustment to our itinerary. So, we will replace Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas with San Juan, Puerto Rico and will adjust our time in Nassau. We are sorry for this unexpected change. Please know, when making these changes, we do everything possible to offer a similar replacement port of call and maximize your time in each destination. We are confident your cruise will be amazing."

First of all Puerto Rico was NOT the choice destination that we booked the cruise to go to. Now it's changed without options beneficial for the cruise line. I was told by the supervisor Renee we couldn't be put on another ship or date changed to get to the destination we originally booked for without paying an additional cost. I think this is a way to get money off of people with poor customer service. It's ridiculous to MAKE PEOPLE go where they want without the option elsewhere without a cost to me due to something that is not of my doing. FIX YOUR BOATS AND THIS WOULDN’T BE AN ISSUE. We didn't even ask for a refund, just go where we booked. Tell me how any of this makes sense!

I would like to be put on another boat that takes us where we want to go without a cost to us/or give me ALL my money back BECAUSE I DIDN'T CAUSE THIS NOR DID GOD! There is a trip available on Harmony of the Seas going to St. Thomas during the same time we were booked to go. This is your BOAT so therefore I should not be FORCED to pay more money to go where I wanted/booked my trip to go. If this is something that I can't get assistance with, after saving my hard earn money up to take this trip. It’s poor Customer Service and I will never travel this cruise line again because of it.

Original review: May 2, 2019

They again had to unexpectedly change the schedule in August (as this has happened to others). Charged 100 dollars to change it or we had to pay for places we didn’t even want to travel to. Rude customer service, no helpful assurance or accommodations. Didn’t care they ruined other people's vacations, time or money. There is no one to help a customer with large companies. They just screw people over with no regard or consequences... SMH...

Original review: May 2, 2019

I am a 67 year old man and I was threatened with assault by a 14 year old teenager on the Navigator of the Seas. Security was called and a report was taken. The bottom line -- there was NO ACTION TAKEN on the teen. He was not required to be escorted by his parents the rest of the trip, not restricted from the area where the threat occurred, and not restricted to his cabin. In other words, his actions were acceptable to Royal Caribbean and he was free to keep doing the same thing and potentially put other passengers at risk.

Also, a table with kids were behaving badly at dinner in the dining room. They were acting like they were at playtime at the pool. The head waiter was notified and he took no action. So the rest of the adults in the area had to tolerate this and ruin their meal. In order to resolve this for ourselves, we were moved to another part of the dining room. We could see from a distance this behavior continued the rest of the week and I felt sorry for the poor people that had to continue to sit around these unruly kids. By Royal Caribbean's NON-ACTION, it told me that safely and security IS NOT a priority with this firm. Even though we have sailed many times before with Royal Caribbean, rest assured this will be our last!

Original review: May 2, 2019

I booked a Cruise in April of 2019 on the Allure of the Seas for 8/4/19, 2 balcony staterooms with a 500$ Per room deposit. On 5/1/19 RC sent an email stating that the ship has mechanical issues/down 1 engine therefore they have to change the itinerary from St Kitts, St Thomas, and Nassau to St Kitts, PR till 2 PM and Nassau. They also cut port times down almost 2 hours. I called Customer service/resolution department - Brian manager/escalation dept Cristy ** - supervisor and corporate escalation team. After hours of going around in circles the only option that was provided to me was to switch cruises to Symphony of the Seas that provided the same itinerary I originally paid for and pay a change fee of 100$ PP and an additional 732$ for the same room or...cancel the cruise and lose my 1000$ deposit.

I would have paid the difference in cruise ships of 732 $ but to charge me a change fee when there is a known mechanical issue with Allure is absolutely absurd. RC was unapologetic for inconveniencing their customer and all the supervisors I spoke too recited the same unapologetic response. They informed me multiple times that it is what it is and they will not be waiving their fees. I am at a loss for what to do and do not want to sail. I am so upset this has totally ruined the vacation I was planning with my family. This serves as a warning to anyone that would like to book with RC...DONT! It’s not worth the aggravation if by chance you have a problem. RC has insured by the wording of their contracts and fine print that they will always take your money regardless of the circumstances.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Several months ago we booked a cruise with departure in August, but because of an unexpected circumstances, we had to change the dates and book another cruise (which is almost twice more expensive) on the same ship, departing in June. When changing reservation, we were notified about $100 fee per each person, which - including 2 children - added up to $400. Yes, we know, there were cancellation fees in terms and conditions, etc., but we did not cancel it. We're still going to cruise with Royal Caribbean and, actually, pay almost twice more for the new cruise. Charging us $400 for this change seems absolutely unfair to us.

The original cruise is in "prime time" (it is completely sold out), so our stateroom will be booked by somebody else without any doubt, most probably for a higher price than we originally booked it. In other words, Royal Caribbean is not going to lose any money because of this change. Also, we could understand change fee per a stateroom, but charging $100 per each family member including children.... again, to keep it polite, we think it is simply unfair. And it is not the end of the story yet. When making the change, they decided to “hold” another $100 (additionally to $400) from our deposit for “future cruises”. They did not want to apply it to the newly booked cruise. It took a long emotional conversation to explain them that - considering their outrageous policies - there won’t be any future cruises with them, so they agreed to refund $100 during 4-6 weeks. We’ll see how it is going to work out.

To summarize: paying $400 penalties to book a new, more expensive cruise, considering all the described above circumstances, AND adding to it their manipulative tricks, such as attempts to hold $100 to increase chances you’re getting back to them - seems not just like excessively aggressive sales practices; it is rather rude and absolutely unethical.

Original review: April 23, 2019

This was our first cruise so I was very interested in how it would go. I do not base my decisions on others misfortunes. I can say with great confidence that this was a very excellent experience. Each person that provided me with customer service was above and beyond what I expected. Yes there was a couple of crew members were not very personable, but who knows what they are going through. The ship was clean and very well maintained. The food was good in each restaurant we ate in. If you are going on a cruise, while on the cruise “wash your hands”, as we know people are nasty, not everyone is washing. Yes we highly recommend this cruise line to anyone who ask. Thank you Independence of the Sea for a wonderful getaway!

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was founded in 1968 and has since developed two unique destinations, Labadee and CocoCay; it also sails to numerous popular worldwide cruise destinations.

• Adventure Ocean youth program: Adventure Ocean provides kid-friendly activities for babies, tweens and teens.

• Flexible dining experience: Dining options range from casual dining venues to sophisticated meals in the dining hall.

• Onboard casino: Gambling enthusiasts can take a seat at the Roulette table or slot machines while sailing to the next destination.

• Performances: Movie fans can enjoy watching Tony award-winning performances.

• Pre-sailing communication: Guests can take advantage of itinerary updates and online check-in; these updates let them know what is available to cut the wait time and when it's time to board the ship.

• Best for: The Royal Caribbean liner is best for active adults and families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs