2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.96/5
Based on 1,305 ratings submitted in the last year

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Original review: April 5, 2021

I had planned on taking my three adults daughters on a cruise to celebrate their 21st, 30th and 35th birthdays but due to the covid restrictions we have cancelled our trip. I received a future cruise credit in each name today which would be okay if a cruise in the future was possible. They each have their own lives and there's no way we will ever find the time again. RCC will not refund my money, though I'm the only one who has paid. RCC will also not transfer the cruise credit or transfer names so I might be able to use it down the line with my wife and friends. It's ridiculous that a company that large who pride themselves on customer service cannot figure out how to make exceptions to their stringent guidelines in order to assist their guests. We were planning a cruise to Alaska with friends in 2022 to celebrate our 40th anniversary but it will not be on RCC.

Original review: April 2, 2021

We had cruised two times previously and were excited about our third cruise. Ours was canceled in March of 2020, which was not RC's fault. However, how they have handled vouchers and refunds is entirely their fault! We took our time to decide that we wanted a refund which was allowed. We asked for it late October/early November. This refund is for 8 people! In January they said that they had deactivated future cruise credits on Nov 16th and on Dec. 3rd. Were in the process of manually removing penalties...but still no refund in Jan. None in Feb, March or April either. On our March 12th inquiry we learned that none of the previous information seemed to be correct and they had now processed refunds for all 8 passengers, but it will still be another 30-45 days before we get it. After reading these other reviews I don't think they actually giving refunds! If we ever get it, we certainly won't be spending it on a future Royal Caribbean cruise!

Get buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2021

Due to the pandemic, our July 2020 cruise was cancelled. Spoke to a representative from Royal Caribbean offering a refund or hold deposit for future cruise. We chose to have them hold the deposit for a future cruise in good faith. With the policy changes that are being made at Royal Caribbean requiring vaccinations and mask wearing, we now in March of 2021 are choosing to get the refund. Royal Caribbean has denied our requested refund of $500.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I purchased this cruise back in March of 2020 right before covid-19 struck. The cruise line cancelled my cruise sailing date due to a pandemic that was beyond my control. We needed to get away due to my mother having cancer, that she has officially lost the battle to, and we needed to get away for a breather. I am very disappointed in the way that I have been treated regarding this matter. I have called multiple time requesting a refund for the money that was paid in full to sail and they keep telling me that they cannot refund my money but instead can give me a voucher for what I purchased to sail by December 31st of this year (2021).

I waited on the phone line for countless hours and times for someone to even get on the phone line. We are currently still in this pandemic that will not be over before the end of the year and I no longer feel safe traveling to other countries because of. If I don't use it before December 31, 2021 then they say that I will loose my money that was spent on a cruise with Royal Caribbean that was never taken due to issues beyond my control. I have been a loyal customer with them for over 10 years and have sailed with this cruise line many times. They have held onto my money for almost a year now and they refuse to give me my refund. To add insult to injury, I, like everyone else, has suffered and struggled through this pandemic and I need my money to pay bills, feed my family, etc. It was falsely advertised that they would be giving refunds during this time, but has still refused to give me mine.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Book to cruise with friends. Three months later covid hit and ships quit sailing. Total payments needed to be in October 26 2020. If not fully paid you lose your deposit. Any other time other than a pandemic I understand how important policy is. During a pandemic I think they should have moved my deposit for a future date. They said I had to have the cruise paid in full when since it wasn't then no deposit for future cruise credit. This is crazy, airlines and every other company is letting you book for a later date on none refundable or transferable travel during this time. It breaks my heart to day I will never sail on royal Caribbean again. Nice boats horrible customer service.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

PLEASE help me get my money back from Royal Caribbean. Details are below: First Cruise Booking (Booked 8/1/2019; Canceled due to Pandemic on 3/11/2019). At that time I was told there were NO plans to cancel the cruise. Three days later they canceled the cruise. 2021 Cruise booked from Future Cruise Credit (FCC) (Booked on 10/22/2020; RC Canceled on 1/12/2021).

I booked a cruise for my kids and I to travel Spring break 2020 to celebrate my graduation from Grad school and their milestones of both being in secondary education. I am a single mom and saved awhile to be able to afford this cruise. Like others, I got nervous when the cruise was approaching last March 2019 and people were being quarantined on ships due to COVID. 48 Hours later, RC canceled the cruise, for the VERY SAME REASON I canceled the cruise, the pandemic. I was told I could only get a FCC and no option for refund. I was livid but eventually booked for THIS April 2021. I waited to pay my taxes until the very last day expecting the cruise to be canceled. RC canceled my cruise on Jan 19. The letter states I can't get a refund because I booked off of FCC. Absolutely Ludicrous! They will have had my money for 3 years by the time I get to cruise. I have LOST my appetite for cruising.

Meanwhile, I can't take another vacation because RC has the vacation money I SAVED to go. I don't want to be stuck on a ship with others who may or may not believe in this virus. I DO NOT want RC to have my money. I DO NOT want to go on a cruise. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!! All of it. I WILL NEVER recommend RC to anyone. EVER. Criminals. Awful. People are losing their jobs and dying, need to pay medical bills etc. and RC is holding money hostage. SHAMEFUL and DISGRACEFUL.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

They offer a free cruise. Take it away because of covid. After holding our money for 6 months 45 days for a refund then come back to offer nothing. Terrible customer service. Always hanging up on your call. I don't recommend them. The only way to go is Carnival cruises. Customer service is terrible.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I had a cruise set for November which I had to cancel due to the uncertainty that the cruise was going to be cancelled by the cruise line. I respectfully requested the refund in the full amount and was not given the option as the return to sale date was 11/1/2020, however "that can change at any time." I with pre-determined vacation dates cannot afford to continue to wait for a company announcement had to find new travel plans. I do not think it is fair that I was penalized for, foreseeing additional cancelations with no end in this COVID-19 pandemic. They firstly refused to refund the full amount and hold my deposit. After calling again to inquire about receiving the additional refund, (which they still refused) I was told the hold amount was even greater and being held as a future cruise credit. During my initial calls they even refused to get me over to a supervisor.

Therefore with all these issues, why would I ever want to give RCCL any additional monies for future cruises above and beyond the "future cruise credit." I think it's absolutely immoral of a customer facing company to accept this as the only alternative. I would like to point out that I understood prior to the announcement 11/6/2020 why some of my funds were being issued as a credit as I chose to cancel and not RCCL (even though you know COVID-19), and had accepted that some of my money would be held for future use, however I will not tolerate being bullied by a multi-billion dollar company when the return to sale date is extended for the very same reason that I needed to cancel sooner.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

Not really trustable. We cancelled our cruise after they announced we are allowed to do so for a full refund on 23th of March because of covid. They said it takes 6-10 weeks to be refunded and they even asked us for the bank details. If you have seen our money, we have seen it too!!! No one answers what is going on! The company says they don’t know anything as we are working with the agency, the agency says the company does not give them any answer. We have been charged for a service that we never received! Not doing it again and definitely saying to everyone who wants to make the same mistake. Not recommended at all.

Original review: July 28, 2020

After all the absolute nightmare that I have experienced dealing with Royal Caribbean's customer service department, I will never book another cruise with them. I was scheduled to take a cruise with 3 of my friends the week of March 15th, 2020. We became concerned about the safety of the cruise after the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, so we consulted with what the health experts were saying. After the CDC and the State Department both released guidelines telling American tourists not to get on cruise ships, after hearing that all of the ports in the Bahamas had closed, and after seeing several ships be quarantined, we decided to reach out to Royal Caribbean to cancel.

This was the Monday/Tuesday before our cruise was supposed to sail, and I will further note that when we looked at our Sail Passes, we had still had not been assigned a room, which tells me they knew very well that they weren't going to be able to set sail that following Sunday. When we called to cancel, we were told we had to take a Cruise with Confidence certificate good until the end of 2021. Not knowing then how extensive this pandemic would be, we agreed. A few days later, our cruise was cancelled by the cruise line and all of those passengers were offered the choice between a full refund or the Cruise with Confidence program that we were offered. To be clear, the week of my cruise was the first week of cancellations across all cruise lines. Every subsequent week was given the two choices.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I regrouped with my friends, and with the outlook looking grim for travel even next year, not knowing when the vaccine will be ready or when it will be safe to travel, I decided to call Royal Caribbean to see if I could get us a refund on our cruise certificates. I had heard they were giving out full refunds now, and on top of that we are living in extraordinary circumstances, and our cruise was in that first week of cancellations when things were so hectic.

We were hoping to get money back, especially for parts of our group who have been financially impacted by the pandemic, and regroup to reschedule the cruise once we knew for sure things would be safe (we were thinking this would most likely be in 2022). Additionally, we took a look at the cruises on sale for 2021, and most if not all of the cruises are more expensive and prices were climbing. If we were going to use the cruise certificates, which was supposed to help us reschedule seamlessly with no additional cost, we would end up having to put even more money into the cruise on top of what we already spent.

With all of that in mind, when I called I was hoping to speak to a representative or a manager so I could explain our unique situation (since we were in that brief window of time between the guidances being posted and the cruise being cancelled, so we were not afforded the same choices the rest of the passengers were. I was told unceremoniously by the customer service agent that a refund was impossible and that I would not be able to speak to a manager. After I called several times, I was able to get two service requests in and was told I would be speaking to a manager shortly. Instead, the cases were handled by the 'enterprise' customer service team, who also refused to let me speak to a manager or escalate my complaint.

They were very condescending and told me that since I followed CDC and State Department guidelines and did the initial cancellation, I didn't want to cruise badly enough with Royal Caribbean and therefore didn't deserve a full refund of my money. Mind you, my cancellation and the cancellation of the cruise were mere days apart. We are living through extraordinary circumstances, and my situation could only be applicable to a handful of people who had cruises the week of March 15th, 2020. I was told all sorts of things about how impossible a refund would be, even though I have worked extensively in customer service and know that there is always an escalation process and a way to get your money back.

They refused to give email addresses, refused to transfer me to a manager, and insisted that the only thing they could do was give me a generic email where I could give them 'feedback'. What, exactly, does that help anyone with if you are refusing to hear the feedback I am giving you in real time? If you refuse to help your customers, how is giving feedback going to change this situation at all?

I would have been happy to rebook in 2022 or later. If the cruise had sailed after we cancelled, I would have never called customer service at all. However, we're in the midst of an unprecedented pandemic, the cruise was completely cancelled a matter of days after our initial call to Royal Caribbean, and now we are stuck with cruise credits that are not worth the same amount they were because all of the cruise prices have jumped. I normally do not ask for refunds in situations like this, because we all know what we sign up for, but these are unprecedented times and I cannot believe my group is being pushed off all because we chose to follow the federal health guidelines that were posted at this point.

I know that other cruise lines have not given their customers nearly the same amount of grief that I am seeing other people are dealing with, because they know the value of good customer service and keeping their brand name intact. I am still arguing with Royal Caribbean now, and even with all of the reviews, even after all of the calls and trying to get someone to hear our situation, they refuse to listen. I have never in my life dealt with a customer service department that outright refuses to help people, especially in the midst of a pandemic.

In conclusion, after all of these headaches, I will never board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship again, and I am telling every person I know about their utter lack of compassion and understanding during these difficult times. They say that a company's response during COVID-19 is really indicative of their character, and all I have to say is that Royal Caribbean is sorely lacking in it. I will now only cruise with Disney Cruise Lines, because I can expect Disney guest service to go above and beyond to help in any situation possible. I would really caution anyone thinking of going on a cruise after this pandemic is over to think twice before booking a Royal Caribbean cruise, because they are certainly not going to do you any favors, and by the looks of the reviews I am seeing everywhere, they have left a lot of people hanging high and dry when it comes to refunds.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines author review by ConsumerAffairs

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was founded in 1968 and has since developed two unique destinations, Labadee and CocoCay; it also sails to numerous popular worldwide cruise destinations.

• Adventure Ocean youth program: Adventure Ocean provides kid-friendly activities for babies, tweens and teens.

• Flexible dining experience: Dining options range from casual dining venues to sophisticated meals in the dining hall.

• Onboard casino: Gambling enthusiasts can take a seat at the Roulette table or slot machines while sailing to the next destination.

• Performances: Movie fans can enjoy watching Tony award-winning performances.

• Pre-sailing communication: Guests can take advantage of itinerary updates and online check-in; these updates let them know what is available to cut the wait time and when it's time to board the ship.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team