2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.50/5

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Original review: April 10, 2020

Out of all the other lines l have been on, Royal Caribbean is my favorite! The customer service is excellent. They go out of their way to make sure your have a wonderful experience on the ship. You can go to any of the staff to ask for assistance and if they’re not able to help you they will direct you to someone who can. Staff is personable and l notice that the person who’s in charge of your cabin makes sure by the second day he/she knows your name. Depending on where you are going l feel that for the services you are getting prices are good! I do find that the prices on the excursions (especially in Europe) can be a bit pricey but the excursions for the most part are informative and amazing. The food is great. Everyday there is a different theme celebrating different country's cuisine. All in all if you want to have a good time, enjoy great food and explore different parts of the world, l recommend Royal Caribbean.

Original review: April 10, 2020

Cruising is the best way to go on a vacation. You visit many locations without having to change hotels nor pack and unpack. I like cruises so much that I have been on 29 of them. The best cruise line is Royal Caribbean International since on their ships there are activities for everyone, no matter your age, your nationality, ethnicity, education, etc. Once you board one of their ships you are in a different world, where you are treated like royalty and every crew member is there to make your vacation a dream come true.

The company has many classes of ships and each class is different and has its own way of enchanting its guests. That is why you can say that there is a ship and a class for everyone and every taste. Another thing I find very important and have found true on each ship is the cleanliness. During a day, everywhere you look there is a crew member cleaning the different areas with a smile on their face. Once you try a cruise on any of RCI's ships you will surely want more and will say "I am loyal to Royal".

Get buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: April 1, 2020

Have cruised 3 different lines (NCL, Carnival, & RCCL), and between all will continue to cruise RCCL over and over again. The entertainment on these ships (especially the Oasis and Quantum/Quantum-Ultra classes) are spectacular. From outstanding live shows, to comedy shows, laser-tag, ice skating + ice shows, bumper cars, escape rooms, you name it! They have entertainment to match any and all types. The rooms are incredibly comfortable, and the higher you go in cabin class the more exquisite the experience becomes with their "Suite Benefits". Even larger ships such as the Oasis class do not feel crowded as one would expect. The layout of the larger ships keeps you from feeling cramped in. Ship-board activities abound each day. There is literally something for everyone.

If I had to suggest an area of improvement, I would have to choose the food. The food at buffet is okay, and main dining room food is a bit better. Specialty dining areas are wonderful, but there's an up-charge for those. The quality of the food options included in the cruise fare could stand some improvement. However, with all other things that RCCL provide, I continue to sail with them despite this, as in my humble opinion, they still rank the best so far.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

My family and I went on a 4-night cruise in Nassau, Bahamas on Navigator of the Seas during the week of Thanksgiving this year. I have been on about five cruises, four of which have been on Royal Caribbean and I am always very happy with my experience. This was a great trip as well however, the dining experience was not as great as I remembered from my past cruises. However, aside from the food, the entertainment on the ship was as great as usual. My family regularly went to the bars on the promenade in the evening for drinks and good music. Every night, there was plenty to go to including comedy shows, karaoke, parties on the pool deck and plenty of activities for small children.

On our days off the ship, we went to the Royal Caribbean owned island in Nassau, Coco Cay and had an amazing experience. There were water parks, wave pools, different beach areas, pool bars, and great service from the staff. This is a great site for families as there is plenty to do for people of all ages. On our other day off the ship, we took one of the Royal Caribbean excursions and enjoyed a nice boat tour around the island and an evening sunset cruise that had free rum punch and great tour guides!

On our day at sea, we also got massages and facials at the spa onboard. We received stellar service during our treatments and it was such a relaxing experience. On the cruise, photographers are all around and capture great moments of you and your family. So, in the end we were able to select our favorite photos and compile a photo book that was just sent to our house. The price was a good deal at about $150 to capture our experience in a high-quality book. My family and I overall had a great trip and will continue to cruise with Royal Caribbean in the future.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

When my mother turned 60 I struggled with the perfect gift to give her. We decided that she would very much enjoy a family cruise to western Caribbean so I booked it with insurance and paid for it in full in January 2019. Fast forward to September 2019 and she received the devastating news that she had stage 4 lung cancer. She had a lung drain placed and has chemo and immunology every week. Doctors were worried about her ability to fight infections on such a large ship with many people from all over the world so they suggested she not go.

Now the second devastation in less then 2 months. We call the insurance and had detailed explanation of the process and submitted our paperwork. In less than 3 weeks we got back every dime we spent except the cost of insurance (which I totally understand). If I can offer anyone a piece if advice get the trip insurance for it because you never know. Thank you Royal Caribbean for making this transition a bit easier. We will definitely be back once she is well enough to travel!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

Not really trustable. We cancelled our cruise after they announced we are allowed to do so for a full refund on 23th of March because of covid. They said it takes 6-10 weeks to be refunded and they even asked us for the bank details. If you have seen our money, we have seen it too!!! No one answers what is going on! The company says they don’t know anything as we are working with the agency, the agency says the company does not give them any answer. We have been charged for a service that we never received! Not doing it again and definitely saying to everyone who wants to make the same mistake. Not recommended at all.

Original review: July 28, 2020

After all the absolute nightmare that I have experienced dealing with Royal Caribbean's customer service department, I will never book another cruise with them. I was scheduled to take a cruise with 3 of my friends the week of March 15th, 2020. We became concerned about the safety of the cruise after the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, so we consulted with what the health experts were saying. After the CDC and the State Department both released guidelines telling American tourists not to get on cruise ships, after hearing that all of the ports in the Bahamas had closed, and after seeing several ships be quarantined, we decided to reach out to Royal Caribbean to cancel.

This was the Monday/Tuesday before our cruise was supposed to sail, and I will further note that when we looked at our Sail Passes, we had still had not been assigned a room, which tells me they knew very well that they weren't going to be able to set sail that following Sunday. When we called to cancel, we were told we had to take a Cruise with Confidence certificate good until the end of 2021. Not knowing then how extensive this pandemic would be, we agreed. A few days later, our cruise was cancelled by the cruise line and all of those passengers were offered the choice between a full refund or the Cruise with Confidence program that we were offered. To be clear, the week of my cruise was the first week of cancellations across all cruise lines. Every subsequent week was given the two choices.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I regrouped with my friends, and with the outlook looking grim for travel even next year, not knowing when the vaccine will be ready or when it will be safe to travel, I decided to call Royal Caribbean to see if I could get us a refund on our cruise certificates. I had heard they were giving out full refunds now, and on top of that we are living in extraordinary circumstances, and our cruise was in that first week of cancellations when things were so hectic.

We were hoping to get money back, especially for parts of our group who have been financially impacted by the pandemic, and regroup to reschedule the cruise once we knew for sure things would be safe (we were thinking this would most likely be in 2022). Additionally, we took a look at the cruises on sale for 2021, and most if not all of the cruises are more expensive and prices were climbing. If we were going to use the cruise certificates, which was supposed to help us reschedule seamlessly with no additional cost, we would end up having to put even more money into the cruise on top of what we already spent.

With all of that in mind, when I called I was hoping to speak to a representative or a manager so I could explain our unique situation (since we were in that brief window of time between the guidances being posted and the cruise being cancelled, so we were not afforded the same choices the rest of the passengers were. I was told unceremoniously by the customer service agent that a refund was impossible and that I would not be able to speak to a manager. After I called several times, I was able to get two service requests in and was told I would be speaking to a manager shortly. Instead, the cases were handled by the 'enterprise' customer service team, who also refused to let me speak to a manager or escalate my complaint.

They were very condescending and told me that since I followed CDC and State Department guidelines and did the initial cancellation, I didn't want to cruise badly enough with Royal Caribbean and therefore didn't deserve a full refund of my money. Mind you, my cancellation and the cancellation of the cruise were mere days apart. We are living through extraordinary circumstances, and my situation could only be applicable to a handful of people who had cruises the week of March 15th, 2020. I was told all sorts of things about how impossible a refund would be, even though I have worked extensively in customer service and know that there is always an escalation process and a way to get your money back.

They refused to give email addresses, refused to transfer me to a manager, and insisted that the only thing they could do was give me a generic email where I could give them 'feedback'. What, exactly, does that help anyone with if you are refusing to hear the feedback I am giving you in real time? If you refuse to help your customers, how is giving feedback going to change this situation at all?

I would have been happy to rebook in 2022 or later. If the cruise had sailed after we cancelled, I would have never called customer service at all. However, we're in the midst of an unprecedented pandemic, the cruise was completely cancelled a matter of days after our initial call to Royal Caribbean, and now we are stuck with cruise credits that are not worth the same amount they were because all of the cruise prices have jumped. I normally do not ask for refunds in situations like this, because we all know what we sign up for, but these are unprecedented times and I cannot believe my group is being pushed off all because we chose to follow the federal health guidelines that were posted at this point.

I know that other cruise lines have not given their customers nearly the same amount of grief that I am seeing other people are dealing with, because they know the value of good customer service and keeping their brand name intact. I am still arguing with Royal Caribbean now, and even with all of the reviews, even after all of the calls and trying to get someone to hear our situation, they refuse to listen. I have never in my life dealt with a customer service department that outright refuses to help people, especially in the midst of a pandemic.

In conclusion, after all of these headaches, I will never board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship again, and I am telling every person I know about their utter lack of compassion and understanding during these difficult times. They say that a company's response during COVID-19 is really indicative of their character, and all I have to say is that Royal Caribbean is sorely lacking in it. I will now only cruise with Disney Cruise Lines, because I can expect Disney guest service to go above and beyond to help in any situation possible. I would really caution anyone thinking of going on a cruise after this pandemic is over to think twice before booking a Royal Caribbean cruise, because they are certainly not going to do you any favors, and by the looks of the reviews I am seeing everywhere, they have left a lot of people hanging high and dry when it comes to refunds.

Original review: July 15, 2020

Long story, but bottom line is, that in the middle of a pandemic, they state will credit your deposits but then are keeping the deposits and not given credits. They also put you on hold forever and do not respond directly but put you to their "resource" department. Then they refuse to disclose their employee last names so you can follow up with the right people. If you cruise with them and there is another pandemic or other crisis; you will lose.

Original review: July 8, 2020

Royal Caribbean International Worst customer service ever. With all these COVID-19 issues and the uncertainty of traveling, whether it’s safe or not, you would think Royal Caribbean would be a little bit more helpful. I don’t think I will ever feel safe going on a cruise again, but I am being told that I cannot get my deposit back because I signed up for a nonrefundable trip. How could anyone have known that this was going to happen. Most all other companies out there, are willing to work with people and cancel things and refund because of this pandemic, but not Royal Caribbean. So Horrible. Never again!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I'm just going to give a quick run down of this scenario. I booked a cruise back in January for March 2020. My car broke down along the way, arrived 45 minutes late to the port, but still in time that we could have boarded. Was denied boarding. Seriously...that is the condensed version. My story actually starts in January with trying to book this cruise. Since March I have been trying to get a future cruise credit. I AM NO LONGER interested in a credit. I now want a full refund for the inconvenience, the treatment I received at the dock and the time I've had to invest in getting one of the companies to step up.

I have several emails between myself and Vacations to Go and Royal Caribbean (that is when I can get them to respond) I've just been going in circles. Royal Caribbean tells me I have to go to Vacations to Go because that is who I booked through and paid. Vacations to Go says I have to go through Royal Caribbean because that's who the money went to. Which is it???

The bottom line here is that I paid for a service and thru no fault of my own that service was not rendered. And yes, I have receipts backing that my car broke down. Tell me why you think it's acceptable to keep my money for a service not provided? It's considered THEFT and a fraudulent act. Stop trying to sympathize with me and make it right.

Ty **

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines author review by ConsumerAffairs

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was founded in 1968 and has since developed two unique destinations, Labadee and CocoCay; it also sails to numerous popular worldwide cruise destinations.

• Adventure Ocean youth program: Adventure Ocean provides kid-friendly activities for babies, tweens and teens.

• Flexible dining experience: Dining options range from casual dining venues to sophisticated meals in the dining hall.

• Onboard casino: Gambling enthusiasts can take a seat at the Roulette table or slot machines while sailing to the next destination.

• Performances: Movie fans can enjoy watching Tony award-winning performances.

• Pre-sailing communication: Guests can take advantage of itinerary updates and online check-in; these updates let them know what is available to cut the wait time and when it's time to board the ship.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team