2.65/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

783 Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I originally only cruised with Carnival and just got off one in August when my husband continued to beg me to try Royal with our children because he frequents their trips often and swore they were better and wanted to give me and our children and amazing cruise experience guaranteeing they are better than Carnival. I finally caved in letting him book a 9 day with our 4 children that went out this past November 1st and returned today November 10th. He is a retired Navy vet and works very hard to treat our family and children with experiences both of us as children never could have.

To start the boat was late to every island except one. We lost $400 from an independent excursion we had booked in Miami due to the boat arriving late and of course causing our family to get off almost 2 hours late. Strike 1. From that point on we decided to just play it by ear because we weren't willing to lose any more money just in case they were late again which they were. The children complained that the ship played the same movies on the deck for days back to back, 2 days it was Mamma Mia. There was no entertainment on board except depressing sad music which again the children didn't understand. The food in the WindJammer had terrible selection throughout the trip and we were rarely ever able to eat full meals and the 7th day our oldest daughter got food poisoning in the WindJammer.

The shower broke while our youngest was showering causing her to get scolded leaving the other children to watch out of the sink. They did replace the outdated shower afterwards but she still got burnt. The kids also got bite marks on them throughout the trip that we found out after coming home this morning they were from bed bug bites. The worst thing was on our last night after the children packed in their cabin and placed their luggage under their beds. I came to visit my youngest who was napping and stepped in the room into 3 inches of urine/feces water that flooded their entire room and the room next door due to a maintenance man working on the other side. He never checked to see if he flooded the rooms nor if anyone was in them.

Thankfully the electrical cord was not compromised to where my daughter could have easily been electrocuted or caused a fire while she slept. All of the children's luggage was saturated with urine damaging their clothes inside, their luggage, souvenirs and the rest of their belongings destroyed. They used a wet vac at first stating the room was clean for them but was never disinfected as the room and whole hallway reek of urine. I refused to allow my children back in that room when they offered to wash all the children's clothes and replace their luggage. They took 2 of our children and moved them to a balcony suite and the other 2 into a junior suite both several floors away from us causing our youngest to stay up all night crying. They had no clean clothes to go to bed in until around midnight and still couldn't repack into the ship.

Came into port this morning while everyone was leaving the ship we were still trying to pack. They did wash our children's clothes and provided brand new luggage but the amount of emotional stress and discomfort has ruined any chance of ever getting our children back on a cruise as now they are convinced all cruises are the same. We lost $400 from a excursion in Miami because we didn't dock on time therefore weren't cleared on time either and lost all our souvenirs.

The last night on the ship we all cried and were separated and barely slept. Aside from them cleaning the children's clothes and replacing the luggage there wasn't anything else done except several apologies from the first manager and we were offered 80% of what we paid for this trip to be deducted off any future cruise should we decide to book again with them. Horrible unimaginable experience and we are so glad to be home. Very sad, upset and disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Today, November 3, 2018, I made an online reservation with Royal. The cost was $1224 for two that included travel insurance. And the reservation was for a balcony and guaranteed view. And I chose the option to choose my cabin. After I confirmed the reservation, I paid for it. Then I realize I didn’t get to choose my cabin which I paid for that option. So I didn’t receive a cabin number.

I called customer service and explained my concern about my to be cabin. I asked if my balcony could have an obstructed view and she said yes. I wanted to pick my cabin but she said I would pick it when I got on the ship and it could be one with obstructed view. She said for $103 more dollars I could get a cabin signed to me now with unobstructed view. After I asked her three times to verify the $103, I said yes. And she assigned me a cabin. I gave her permission to charge me $103. I get an email and see she charged me $191.

I call back and explain my problem to a rep and he said I needed to speak to a supervisor. I explained the situation and she states that I agreed to $191. I said the rep told me $103 and the sup could see where I was to pay just $103. I was not happy with the sup since she originally said in a way I was lying about not agreeing to $191.

I said I should get that same cabin for the extra $103. The sup said she couldn’t guarantee changes like that since the change was over the phone. That was a crazy statement. The sup then said she could change my reservation back to the original and still not be guaranteed unobstructed view. So I canceled the reservation. It may be just $88, but it was the problem with being robbed of $88. And no one advised me that the original rep messed up. She knew she was charging me the extra money and didn’t call or email me. Just contacting me that she misquoted would have helped. Or maybe she intended to misquote and hoped I wouldn’t notice it. They do get paid commissions.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

19 Oct 18 to 26 18 from Southampton. Got on the boat pressured for drinks package also internet. We shut yourself in the room hoping it calm down. Entertainment was a joke till day 4 when they got someone else on last min due to complaints yet quote they do West End style shows. Swimming pools no water said for cleaning but not cleaning them all 3 pools. Hot tub so busy kids jumping around due to pools shut most of the holiday. Everywhere. Drink prices a total joke. Also you can't use the all the bars with the complimentary drinks.

Leaving ports earlier than stated on the plan Then banging, cracking from bottom sounds like it was hitting the bottom of the sea. Kids was scared. Told staff to be told nothing to worry about. Did not care at all. Sleepless night. Thankfully got off the boat. Less than 25 hours later the boat was letting on water and it's on the news and in papers. I contacted Royal Caribbean when I was on the boat. They just care in long as you give them money. I have video and photos of this all this. Will never use the company again. Worst holiday I have ever had. Even kids won't go on another cruise there. 13 and 17. They could not wait to her off.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Hello, I am scheduled to cruise with Royal Caribbean (RC), on Empress of the Sea, Best of Cuba cruise. I am celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary. I booked the trip with a friend of mine, and I have numerous family members planning to join us. I booked my trip through RC. I chose the state room and the deck I wanted to be on. I have informed family and friends of which room and deck my husband and I will be on. Everything was set. Then I received an e-mail indicating that the 2nd person was 60% off. I called to find out what the price difference would be if I went with the 60% off. Turns out it was more than my initial reservation. The representative asked me if I wanted to go with the higher price. I told her no, I will stay with my existing reservation.

Three weeks later I was trying to secure my drink package and I noticed that the $50 ship credit was missing. I called RC and they told me that I changed my reservation and the new package did not come with a credit. I had to have this drawn out 40 minute call to get my ship credit and explain that I did not change my reservation. I asked the young lady to send me an invoice to make sure no other changes occurred. Once I opened the new invoice I noticed the state room did not indicate which state room I was staying in, whereas the initial invoice did. I called back and spoke with a supervisor. She informed me that I made the change and an invoice was e-mailed 22 days ago.

I checked my e-mails and yes the e-mail did indicate a change. I take the blame for not opening the e-mail because, I assumed the young lady I spoke with did her job effectively and efficiently and did not change my initial reservation as stated. Unfortunately, she did. The invoice was not reflecting 'No Change', it was reflecting a change. I recommended that they pull up any recordings or notes hoping to support my story. The supervisor was unable to provide any proof that I authorized the change. She is using the fact that I did not call immediately after the invoice was sent as an authorization. The supervisor told me she can not do anything except keep me abreast of any rooms that may open up.

I have never been on Royal Caribbean, but after my trip in April, I will never go RC again. The consumer has to take the hit for a training issue or a mistake on their part. I was informed that I would have to pay the price increase if I wanted a room. All the interior rooms for double occupancy are taken. I will have to wait until RC chooses a room for me. I do not typically bash a company because my husband and I have our own company and we understand things happen, but the way RC handled this issue on such a precious day is horrendous, and I want everyone to be aware. Safe travels everyone.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

First let me say that RCL is (or was) always our first choice for a cruising holiday. We love the ships and the service we receive onboard. However RCL recently cancelled our cruise (for routine maintenance) and since then the customer service has been simply appalling! We originally received an email telling us that the ship was going in for routine maintenance and in that email stated we would get a phone call to discuss the options. Fair enough, but that call never happened and we eventually had to ring a PREMIUM RATE phone number to find the operators had no information. We were continually put on hold - and the call was dropped twice during hold, and ringing back in had to start the story all over with different reps with hard to understand accents, who had no notes from previous call.

We eventually swapped our booking but with the change in flights and hotels that left us around $1900 out of pocket. We were offered a drinks package and small stateroom credit and asked to write in via email and send proof of our out of pocket expenses to claim a small percentage of those other flight change costs back. Even IF we get the full amount they have offered the total compensation package (inc compensation for flights, along with drinks and stateroom credit) the total is worth around $700.

OK so we wrote in with scans of all the additional expense we have incurred due to THEIR actions - and despite the stock 'we have received your email and get back to you within 72 hours - a WEEK later we get a stock response apologising for the 'inconvenience'! They think this is only an INCONVENIENCE? Really?

They haven't even said sorry for the stress, upset and financial loss they caused - and only offered a completely lame (and frankly unacceptable) 'we apologise for the inconvenience'. An inconvenience is 'your cabin isn't quite ready', or 'there may be a little wait to be seated' but CANCELLING A CRUISE IS NOT AN INCONVENIENCE!

We are actually cruising with them next week (a long standing booking) and have asked that in view of the fact I have now spent a considerable amount changing flights etc, that the least they can do is credit the cruise (next week) with a drinks package - something that I would have purchased if I hadn't been forced to spend the money I had put aside for this cruise just to get to the one they cancelled! Guess what - the 72 hour reply we are awaiting is now into day 8...

For a company that made a profit of $1.63 BILLION in 2017 (projected to be 9.7% higher for 2018) the level of compensation offered to customers who have been put out of pocket through THEIR actions is miserly. The customer service away from the ship is terrible - the worst we have EVER encountered in all our years of travelling. I hope senior management of RCL read this and respond - I am happy to prove all of the above.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My sister and her husband went on Royal Caribbean for their dream cruise. As a gift I ordered a $200 gift card credit and dictated card to be delivered to their stateroom on check-in. They never got it! But, my credit card sure got charged. When I notified RC gift dept. and customer service all I got was “sorry, but there is nothing we can do about it”. Really? That’s it? Royal Caribbean does not care about their customers. This cruise line has lost our business for good.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

This review is to communicate my dissatisfaction with "team leader" Patricia **, at M.I.A. She was unapproachable, unprofessional and grossly incompetent. I have witnessed her lack of ethics, honesty and integrity. There is a certain demeanor that is expected in this industry and she does not possess it. From unnecessary upgrades to nonexistent credentials, she is an absolute phony from A to Z. For the sake of this company's reputation, please consider the quality of the people who represent Royal Caribbean. This industry relies on customer service, strong interpersonal skills, a semblance of intellect and above all, honesty.

Patricia ** is strictly concerned with the bottom line and her cutthroat nature truly rears its ugly head when she handles a sale. As her track record attests, she does not put the customer first. She is all about the bottom line and profit margins. While there may be a place in the world for selfish people with a cavalier attitude, she is running customer service into the ground as the face of your company. My family, friends and I will take all business to Carnival in the future, even though your ships are better. We value the personal touch and the quality people who deal with our large bookings. Needless to say, our experience with Patricia ** has ruined a long relationship with Royal Caribbean Cruise lines. Good people matter. Keep them. Lose the dead wood.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been disputing duplicate and unauthorized card charges for 6 months with a less than satisfactory result. Cruising with Royal Caribbean has been fantastic, we’ve sailed with them 3 times in total. The company lets itself down with its customer interactions both pre and post cruise. Everyone on board is focused on making your trip enjoyable. This attitude is not reflected by people working in admin and customer service at head office.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

About 2 weeks before my trip on the Adventure of the Seas, I went online to order the drink package for my wife and I. Figured while I was there I would buy the internet package. Paid $19.99 per day, per device. Imagine my surprise when 2 days into the trip I see the same internet package I bought being advertised on board for $18.99. Since when is anything you purchase on board cheaper than pre-board. To top that off they were claiming that to be "Streaming speed". They also offered a "surfing speed" package for $15.99 per day, which they did not offer online. I checked my speed and found it to be 3.7 MBps down & .8 MBps up. Hardly streaming speed. I went to customer service and was basically told, "Too bad. Sometimes we run specials on board. As far as speed goes, go talk to the communications director. He'll be here at 5:00 pm." I will never give this company another dime of my money.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Contacted customer service three times about our upcoming cruise and received zero response. When I contacted customer service by phone we found the reps to be very hard to understand. Wish that I would have looked up reviews before we booked this cruise. We have cruised on RC before and were very pleased but after seeing all the negative reviews on customer service we are wondering what has happened to their good customer service and can understand why they are not rated at BBB. Guess when the economy is good you can ignore customers.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

On 5/29/17 we booked a cruise for our honeymoon to leave from Tampa, FL on 5/23/18 to Cuba and Mexico. When the deposit was paid we received a receipt that states a Birth Certificate and Marriage License should be made available if you do not have a passport. In September 2017 I contacted Royal Caribbean and paid for the full amount of the cruise. On this receipt it states guests should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents needed for each destination, including the port of embarkation. I confirmed multiple times with RC representatives that a passport card would be acceptable as this was a closed-loop cruise to the Caribbean and Mexico.

In March 2018 my fiancée and I went to the local passport agency and ordered passport cards. We paid $175 to obtain the cards and confirmed with the passport officials the passport card would be acceptable for our travel plans. I began to receive information from friends and family that had booked cruises and they told us a passport book would likely be required. I called RC and spent almost 2 hours on the phone with several different people. They would not send me any written documentation that they would allow us on the cruise with a passport card. I finally reached a supervisor who assured us the cards would be fine. I again asked for this in writing and was told she would have to get approval from her supervisor and would call me back. She never did.

I called again the next day and was advised the supervisor at the port in Tampa would not let us board with passport cards. At this point we were 4 days from leaving on our cruise. We paid $600 to have passport books rushed to us but mine did not arrive in time. RC refuses to refund any of our money, even for the drink package ($540.00). We had no honeymoon thanks to RC, and we can't afford to pay for two honeymoons.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

My wife and I departed for our seven-day Royal Caribbean 5 year anniversary cruise on September 9th on Freedom of the Seas. This was our first cruise ever on Royal Caribbean. We were excited to depart on a relaxing romantic Caribbean cruise... or so we thought. After being locked out on our balcony and bruised from getting knocked down, it was anything but what we were expecting.

Our room steward, even though he accidentally locked us out on our balcony, we ended up liking him. After coming in to bring us a bucket of ice that I requested on the first night, he found us on the balcony and wished us a good night. Out of habit, he closed and latched the door as he left. We stayed out there for a while, not realizing we were locked out before trying to come back in. At the point we realized we were locked out, we couldn’t see anyone else out on their balcony. We waited there for a portion of the night and what seemed like an eternity. Just as I started climbing over the rail to get to the next balcony and bang on their door, we caught the attention of someone four rooms down who went for help.

A couple days later, my wife was knocked to the ground in the overcrowded windjammer buffet area and a member of staff just stood there and shrugged with a look on his face expressing “I know, but nothing I can do”. We were told by several guest that due to the threat of a hurricane developing, the bookings had dropped to about 30% capacity and in order for Royal Caribbean to make a profit, the remaining cabins were advertised and sold locally in Puerto Rico at a fraction of what we paid. This filled the boat with a crowd acting like it was their first and last Spring Break they would ever take. It’s hard to relax when boom boxes could be found from stern to bow blaring techno-pop music.

I wrote Royal Caribbean expressing how this was anything but the relaxing romantic Caribbean cruise advertised and sold to us by a member of the Royal Caribbean sales staff. After receiving my letter, a team member in the executive office called me to explain how it’s really not their problem and implied I was lying since I did not report the events when they occurred. He did offer us a $100 voucher to use on-board the next Royal Caribbean cruise. Would this be acceptable to you?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I reserved 3 cabins on The Explorer of the Seas for a July 2018 sailing. My reservation was based on photos of the cabin type shown on Royal Caribbean's website. Upon arrival, I discovered that we were not in the cabin type shown on the website. To make a long story short, Guest Services offered no explanation and promised communication from the "company". No communication was received, so I contacted RC. Again, no explanation of why they supplied misleading information on their website. I wanted to file a claim in small claims court, but the contract states that RC can literally do anything they want and you have no recourse. If you want to sue, you have to do it in Florida. The bottom line is that Royal Caribbean has lost a long-time client because they don't give a damn. They have brought customer service to a new low. Their CEO must be a real piece of work.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

We reserved online Apr 2018 for a cruise trip In Aug same year (at least that’s what we thought). I received a confirmation email. But there was no date on it, which I thought is weird, but didn’t think too much about it. Later when I checked back online in July, I found the reservation is made for 2019. I bought two tickets, it’s unlikely I made the wrong year twice. So I called their customer service to find out why. They called me liar, and refused to cancel or reschedule a cruise reservation for more than a year later! I am absolutely shocked by the customer service.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I lost 100% of my ticket purchase price. I paid for a trip to Bahamas island with departure date being in the next 30 days. I realized my wife didn't have her visa extension approved and her attorney informed she cannot travel out of country. I conveyed the same message to the booking agent, Royal Caribbean. Neither had they helped me nor listened to my situation. They shout on phone about 100% cancellation fee policy if the departure is within next 30 days BUT NEVER LISTEN TO YOUR SITUATION. All this happened within 24 hours of paying for the ticket. Imagine how would they treat you on the cruise with such good ethics and behavior.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

On day one of cruise, a bottle of champagne, dozen roses, dozen chocolate covered strawberries and box fine chocolates were delivered to our cabin with note wishing us 50th Anniversary from the travel company. Thought that was strange since I did not tell anyone related to cruise. Mentioned this to my daughter and she said it was not from the travel agency but a friend of ours AND she ordered photo pkg as well. There was NO acknowledgment that either gift was from our friend. Went to guest services and could not find out a name. The photo dept had no idea it was a gift and informed me they never get that information. Called RC post cruise and no one seemed to care. If it were not for my daughter I would not know who to thank. I think she should know what happened but am embarrassed to have to spoil the surprise.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Empress of the Seas - 15 September 18 - COMPLAINT: 4520 Stateroom is very small, not even suitable for a single use. No space to put even a cabin bag size. I asked that the chair to be removed from the room to have extra space. Toilet/Shower area are too narrow that someone needs to stand on a side in order to use the facilities. Stateroom window is too small, while the staterooms around us are much bigger. No fridge was inside the room (when I complained to the service desk, he said this should be requested) while in 20 cruises that I’ve done, I never asked for a fridge, and it was there. No tissue box was loaded. (as well the guy at the service desk told me that it is on request). These days on 1 star hotel, you will find tissue box.

When I booked this cruise through my agent, I requested for a dinner table for two persons and I got a confirmation, unfortunately this request was not communicated and I had to deal with the head of waiters to change from table of 10 persons to a table for two (even the head of the waiter made me feel that he is giving me a big favor). I requested as well for two separate beds and got a confirmation, but the beds were not splitted. I asked the person-in-charge to split them, he confirmed to me that he will do it after the emergency drills, when I came at 7pm, it was not done and I had to ask another guy (second shift) to do. He said that he didn't receive any information and then it was done at 9pm.

The 2 excursions that I booked in advance, I didn't receive the vouchers in my room (as it is supposed to be). I had to go the counter myself to get/print them. When I was filling the special forms for Cuba, I ticked that I will use the tours from the cruise, I managed to book to 2 stops, while the third excursion (Cienfuegos) was mentioned that I can book it on the ship, I boarded at 11.30, when I approached the lady who is supposed to assist me with excursions, she said that the tours are sold out and there are only the botanical garden and cigar factory tour, which we are not interested in both.

I asked her if possible to get off from the cruise and walk around the port, she started to give me a lecture about the regulations. I left her and came back after dinner, a gentleman replied back to me in a clear way that I can disembark without any problem. Changing Labadee to Bahamas one week before the sailing date was not a problem, but trying to book for an excursion for Bahamas, was a problem, which the Royal Caribbean website was not updated.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Purchased travel insurance, understood policy, however, Hurricane Florence directly hit our neighborhood, town and area. Flight was cancelled, could not get to Miami or out of my neighborhood. American Airline, even without insurance refunded 100%, Royal Caribbean with insurance would not refund, however would give me a 75% credit toward another cruise. Now if my home was not uninhabitable they will refund, I understand policies but this was beyond my control and I was meeting family. Just really think it was poor business and greedy in a time of crisis. I am sure if it was a family member of theirs it would be reviewed differently. Think twice before booking Royal Caribbean!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I am a recent TICO certified graduate of the Travel and Tourism program at Algonquin College here in Ottawa and I am an avid cruiser with over 35 cruises under my belt to date. I am a Platinum member with Carnival Cruise Lines and I have cruised Celebrity, Costa, Norwegian, Fathom, and Louis (which I believe is now Celestyal). With this amount of cruising experience, I believe I am in a position to accurately assess or compare any cruise experience.

Until this experience, I had never chosen a Royal Caribbean itinerary as your price points were always higher than other comparable cruise line Itineraries. My past cruise experiences were mainly with my children, so price was a large consideration, so thus the reasons I chose other cruise lines. My belief that my cruise experience with Royal Caribbean would be greater, due to your higher pricing, coupled with my need to experience Royal Caribbean as a newly licensed travel consultant, lead me to choose your 14-day Mediterranean cruise for my recent honeymoon. The cruise I chose for my much-anticipated honeymoon was your 14-day Mediterranean cruise leaving out of Barcelona July 1st 2018 on Vision of the Seas. My fiancé and I had an Inside cabin at a price of $1010 CAD taxes and fees in per person.

As a comparison... June 2016, I cruised a 12-day Mediterranean cruise in a extended balcony cabin on Carnival Vista for $929.50 taxes and fee’s in per person. Considering I was paying ($72 per day for your cruise and $79 per day with Carnival) almost equal per day amount for your cruise, in a much cheaper inside cabin as opposed to the extended balcony cabin I had on the Vista. My expectation was that this would be a far superior cruise experience… Boy was I wrong!!!

My first disappointment was upon embarkation of the ship. From our first steps on this ship, it was apparent that this ship was tired and worn and was years past its refurbish date. From the worn carpets and worn pubic area furnishings, to the outdated and worn cabin furnishings, cabin ceiling water stains and rusted cabin bathroom doors. My immediate thought was “I think I’ve made a critical mistake...” The days that followed only solidified my initial thought. Below you will find some but not all of the reasons for my extreme dissatisfaction and why for the first time in my cruising experience that I feel I’ve been “Ripped Off “by a cruise line:

Morning Coffee in my room is one of my highlights of my cruising experience. I always order a carafe of coffee delivered to my room at a nominal fee of a small tip to the delivery staff. In order to have my morning coffee on your cruise line I would have been charged a delivery charge $8.00 + fees and taxes = $12.00... which is completely absurd… Thus, I never ordered my much-enjoyed coffee during my entire cruise.

No fridge in room… Asked at embarkation… Were told none available, which was very disappointing as we had prearranged a rental car in Cannes, France, in order to attend one of their markets to purchase some local fare to enjoy during our cruise… Were told all the fridges were old and failing so had been removed. When complaining 3 days later, about another issue, I mentioned the lack of fridge being another one of my disappointments, I was told that if I wanted a fridge I could have one… One was delivered within the hour… 2 days after our stop in Cannes.

Food in Windjammer… was ok but often cold and tasteless and during peak periods refilling took 30 minutes or more. Coffee stations in AM often empty by 7:30am and took 30 minutes to refill… Had to wait for them to rebrew. Cream only available for coffee at one of coffee stations… Had to ask for cream every morning and wait 15 minutes for them to locate it. No charge drinks. Only available during peak meal hours but even then, often empty or out of order. Water was the only thing available to drink for majority of the day and evening. Ice cream stations dirty, melted ice cream, broken cones all over. Disassembled for cleaning most afternoons at peak times. Therefore, not available most of the time. Main dining room food – repetitive and quality similar to local family restaurant. Quality subpar to other cruise lines. Did not meet typical cruise line expectations.

Lido deck and Solarium are in constant disarray. Tables chairs and floors covered in a constant array of abandoned dirty dishes and an obvious lack of staff to keep up. Bussing done later in evening around 9 pm. Upon arrival on Lido deck at 6-7am for morning coffee often found tables cleared but not wiped… Sticky coffee-drinks stains covering majority of tables.

In 12-day, cruise was asked once by wait staff if we wanted a drink. No bar staff ever at any venue on this boat. If we wanted an alcoholic drink we had to go to a bar ourselves. One guest was so frustrated at this because she had bought a bucket of beers and it took her 45 minutes to find a bar staff to open her beers. When she eventually found someone to open her beers she asked for them all to be opened as she was unwilling to wait to find someone again. My belief is that majority of passengers on this cruise purchased a drink package… I believe that you avoided having wait staff available in order to limit the amount of drinks for the people that purchased the drink packages making them have to go to a long bar lineup to get their drinks.

In daily pamphlet Solarium pool hours were advertised as 7-7 pm sea days and 9-9 pm on port days. On 3 occasions during the first 5 days of this cruise we changed into our bathing suits and proceeded to the Solarium pool only to find it closed during the advertised hours. The third time of this occurrence we went directly to guest services to complain with towels in hand! They argued with us that the pool was open, we said we had just come from there and it was closed. After a 10-minute discussion they called only to discover that yes in fact the pool was closed. We were told by other guests that they didn’t have enough lifeguard staff as the main pool was busy due to FIFA world cup so staff was directed to main pool shutting down Solarium pool. We did not use the pools again during our voyage.

Being our honeymoon, we were anxious to have pictures taken to record memories from our trip. Almost every evening we dressed and had pictures taken. Backdrops were old, tired and repetitive. Absolutely every time we got pictures taken we were asked to do the same 4 poses. Not one photographer changed up the poses. We still continued to have pictures taken in hopes of some decent shots. Nearing the end of the cruise we painstakingly chose what we thought were a few decent photos and proceeded to the cash to purchase them.

Upon payment of these photos I was handed my photos in a plastic bag! I asked if there was not a cardboard envelope as I have purchased numerous pictures on other cruise lines and always received my costly photos in a cardboard envelope to ensure their safe travels home. I was told NO, that I would have to purchase an album to ensure my pictures safety. I then told them that I would not be purchasing these pictures and had them refund my sign and sail card leaving me not one memory of my honeymoon evenings.

We booked a number of Excursions with you… yet again you disappointed us. Your excursions were considerably more expensive than other cruise line but yet again I booked them with the belief that they would be superior to the excursions I have done with other cruise lines due to the higher cost. Again, I was very wrong! Not only were they not superior to my past experience they were by far inferior.

This is one of many examples: Imperial Rome and Coliseum small group, your price $260.82CAD… 2016 Carnival Vista price $221.00. Tour Itinerary was identical right down to attending the exact same restaurant for lunch. (It should also be noted that I have done this excursion 4 times in total, attending the same restaurant each time.) Yet the lunch served on your tour was considerably less. We only got white wine with your lunch and all 4 other times we got white and red. Your lunch consisted of salad, pasta and dessert, again all 4 other times lunch consisted of salad, pasta, meat course and dessert. Our table was not keen on the pasta that was served, I told them that we would be receiving a meat dish as well. They had to ask for their pasta dish to be return when much to my surprise we were served dessert. Another prime example of why I feel your company has “Ripped me off”.

I thought you should be aware that this was the most expensive cruise to date for me and the worst cruise experience to date for me. It is so disappointing for me as this was my Honeymoon and should have been the most wonderful vacation ever. Thank you Royal Caribbean for ruining the most important vacation of my life. As it goes without saying this was the first and last cruise I will be doing with Royal Caribbean... And rest assured I will be steering my clients away from your cruise line as I pursue my new career.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I had contacted Royal Carribean to cancel my upcoming cruise in April 2019. I was told I could not get a refund because I didn't choose that option, which I did. A supervisor TINA spoke to me and told me she would listen to the tapes and call me back in 24 hours. That was over 2 weeks ago. I have spoken to two different guest relations personnel who told me they would get back to me, HAVEN'T. It's ridiculous how when I want my deposit back no one can get on the phone for over two weeks with me. Still waiting to hear... NEVER use this company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

We sailed from Hong Kong and walked to the terminal. On arrival there was no signs or staff. As it was raining we headed into the first door we saw. We walked through the terminal looking at maps to work out where we needed to go. Finally we found what looked like the right place to be told, "No. You need to go downstairs." We finally found the port staff and checked in. As we approached the ship our passports were taken from us. We was not told beforehand this would happen. I went to take my landing card out but was told to leave it in. Once onboard we were very happy and the ship looked good. We got a drink and walked around the ship.

We had early dining so we got ready and headed to the long queue to go for our evening meal. As we were getting to the front of the queue the line started to slow down. By now it was 6.15pm and dining was 5.45pm. Another 5 minutes passed and we were still in the queue. 3 dining room staff were stood around the door. I finally asked what is happening and they said the dining room was full. I had to ask, no one was coming to inform us what was happening. We expressed that we had early dining to be told there is no assigned dining on this ship. We explained we was asked to choose and was told, "No. It's an Asian cruise so no dining options, you just basically turn up and hope there is a table." Obviously not impressed as we chose this time to dine and expected to, just like on other cruises we have been on.

After 5 minutes of talking we asked if we would be assured of a table at 8pm and was told we would. "Just come to the front of the queue and stand by this wall and you will be seated straight away." They also said this has never happened before but for other staff members to say it always like that so we're not impressed. So on return it's another free for all with the guests and the dining staff didn't really know why we stood there. Communication was horrendous but we did finally get to sit down. All in all no assigned dining and we didn't sit on the same table each night with the same guests to share our adventures of that day which we were looking forward to.

Before we left home we did a lot of research on the ports and where to go and what to see. We obviously know due to weather conditions this can change but once we arrived in Okinawa we had to go through immigration. We were not informed of this when we booked our cruise or any day before we sailed. This took one and a half hours so the plans we had made we were not able to go ahead with due to losing so much time. It was very disappointing as we could have been informed of this beforehand and not got our hopes up of visiting the places we wanted to. We also planned to get day travel cards in Japan but this was not possible as our passports were taken off us. They would only accept the original passport and not the photocopy we had so this cost us more money to travel around.

ALWAYS WATCH THE BAR STAFF MAKING YOUR DRINKS! We do not blame the bar staff as this happened several times at several different bars with several different bar staff so they are clearly told to them to do this. But they would use house spirits instead of branded spirits. We often had to stop them or ask them if it was our drink they were making. One bar server was like, "Ermm no no. That's not yours," when we pointed out he was using the wrong spirits. They would happily replace it and make a fresh but this shouldn't happen in the first place and it is illegal.

We are not big gamblers but we do like to have a little play on roulette. Unfortunately this was not possible due to the higher game limits. Basically because it was an Asian cruise they increased the minimums which meant we couldn't enjoy a game. The staff confirmed it was because it was Asia, but what about the rest of us on board. Please the Asians but not the rest of the world. I guess it saved us money by not gambling!

There was plenty to do onboard and the rest of the cruise went by smoothly (but still watching what our drinks were made with) until we collected our passports. As we gave our room number and were passed our passports my landing card was missing. The staff member said, "You can get another one at the airport." Obviously I was annoyed and said, "Why should I waste my time at the airport when it's the company's fault." She said it's one of those things and tried to usher me away.

I didn't go anywhere and said, "Can't you check through the box." She eventually said she would have a new landing card delivered to my stateroom. Why could she not have said this in the first place?? "Really sorry but I can get a replacement sent to your stateroom." No fuss and the situation dealt with but instead she couldn't be bothered. A new landing card was delivered to our stateroom along with my missing landing card. It really wasn't that hard to sort a small issue. We did enjoy the cruise and ports and the ice show was amazing but it's the little details that are making us think if we should cruise with Royal Caribbean again as this hasn't happened on our other cruises with other cruise companies.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

We recently moved to Orlando from Hawaii and do not know FL. We had won a trip from wife's work on the Royal Caribbean. We spent months planning this trip with our kids (2yr boy, 4.5 yr girl)... I mean every detail. Everyone was so excited. We were trying to be responsible and arrive early (10:30am). They took out bags without checking their labels (prominently displayed as recommended by Royal Caribbean), then parking our car added on nearly 45 min bc the shuttle went to the other cruise terminal first. We got through security, where they checked our names and boarding passes, and in line for check in by noon where they FINALLY told us we were at the wrong Port! Our hearts sank. Somewhere in all our planning we got ports mixed up. We were supposed to be in Ft Lauderdale 2hr 50 min away from Port Canaveral, where we were. Talk about panic mode.

Then we were sent to the hospitality desk, where they put out a call for our luggage. If they could find it in a timely fashion, we could still drive down to the other Port as the boat didn't leave until 4:00pm (they kept stressing be at check in by 4:00 or they close the doors.) While RC was locating our luggage we taxi to our car and called RC's customer service line to see what our options were. The agent we spoke with (at 12:30) put us on hold and when he came back told us he had spoken to Port authority and was told they could hold the boat until 4:30 pm. At 1:30 pm we were notified they had located our luggage! However, there was miscommunication over walkie talkies as to where the luggage was brought to, taking away 10 precious minutes while we waited painfully for them to get it to us. We finally get out luggage threw the kids in the car and drove down to the other port.

After several hours driving (like I've never driven before) we pull in curbside, actually getting there at least 10 minutes before 4pm which I know because I pulled my parking ticket at 3:53pm (see photo) and I thought "Hey we made it before 4pm even, great!" I immediately drop wife, kids, and luggage 20 feet from the check in, then I quickly go park, right next to check-in actually, finding a spot halfway down the parking lot and RUN! Urgency was on our minds. There were no check-in people from RC even around. Just Port authority staff and police.

When I made it to the check-in where we could see the boat still docked 100 yards away. We were right there but we were being told we had to be cleared by a port authority supervisor who showed up at 4:05pm and declared we would not be allowed to board bc it was clearly after 4. We begged and pleaded explaining we were there! (Just a few minutes but it was still before 4pm!). He just stood his ground. We told him we were a part of 35 people, which seemed to make him hesitate, but still no. We told him we had called RC and they told us they would was holding the ship 30 min for us. He said the only way he can hold the boat is if RC had to called him and he never received that call (First time cruisers aren't going to know this and that was RC failure not ours!).

I take a moment to recognize Veronica **, a port staff member who spent almost an hour past her work time empathizing explaining what she could, and getting security to let us out of the parking lot that they lock up entirely for the week long cruise - we would still be locked in without her. Thank you, Veronica. It only takes a single person to make a big difference.

The short of it is, we called RC 4 times after arriving at the Ft Lauderdale port, and got the same answer, even from supervisors: you are SOL. They refunded our taxes and excursions, that's all. They are doing nothing to help us, refund us (including the extra $700 additional we had to pay them for an upgraded room to have our kids with us), re-book our paid cruise, accommodate us in a hotel, out on another cruise, or show any empathy. In fact, their solution was for us to purchase airline tickets to fly into Puerto Rico on the 4th day and spend the last three days of a seven day cruise on board the ship. That was it. We are in a hotel room tonight in Ft Lauderdale (which my wife's boss paid for, not RC) writing this review, not on a week-long cruise we had planned had anticipated so long and that RC is still being paid for.

I got to tell you, as a dad - and I'm still a fairly new dad, my heart literally hurts so much as I am left tonight sitting in my hotel room, at 11:30pm, looking at my wife and kids sleeping. I'm constantly remembering, always remembering, walking away from this ship seeing my wife and two kids sinking to the ground all of us together holding each other, I lift my head and see them reduced to tears as the boat we paid extra to be on departed behind them, instead of welcoming us. Sadly, that is always going to be etched in my heart. I freely cry. Is this a ship you want to sail on?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Our cruise was the experience of a lifetime. Everything was just perfect. I have room with the balcony was wonderful. The food was superb. Everything was very clean and nice. Every employee was top-notch. We couldn't say enough. All the offshore excursions had been investigated and were very safe very informative fun and the food on those excursions was excellent.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Excellent service, smaller ship, not crowded at all. Radiance of the Seas. Everyone took great care of us. Cruise director's staff excellent. Great choice of shore excursions.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Been on several RC cruises. They make it very easy to register, board and do anything you want onboard as well as shore excursions. They take great care of you and go out of their way to make you happy. The ships are very clean, beautiful and well-arranged.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Please be careful of the information given to you. I have had many cruises with RCCL, but this is my last one. I just finished the Mediterranean cruise 14 days with them and headed to my next cruise 6 months later. This cruise I planned to pay with point, but when my travel agent called them they had removed her as my agent and would not allow a transfer so she could complete the booking. Now I have to spend money that was not planned for this cruise. Customer Service had told me I did not need a transfer of agent for each booking, well if you make the reservation yourself apparently you do have to also complete the transfer to your agent within a certain time period. From here on I will use Seabourn for cruising, done with RCCL.

Please be careful of the information given to you. I have had many cruises with RCCL, but this is my last one. I just finished the Mediterranean cruise 14 days with them and headed to my next cruise 6 months later. This cruise I planned to pay with point, but when my travel agent called them they had removed her as my agent and would not allow a transfer so she could complete the booking. Now I have to spend money that was not planned for this cruise. Customer Service had told me I did not need a transfer of agent for each booking, well if you make the reservation yourself apparantly you do have to also complete the transfer to your agent within a certain time period. From here on I will use Seabourn for cruising, done with RCCL.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

The ports they stop at is all you make it be. Some destinations are better than others. Overall it's a chance to see parts of the world you normally wouldn't.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Very classy cruise, great choice of foods, excellent side tours, terrific employees, and good shows. Good control of children so that adults without children are not inconvenienced.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

The whole onboarding process was effortless and speedy. I had an inside cabin which was delightfully large and exceptionally clean. My cabin attendant was excellent. However, food was not that great unless you paid for a specialty restaurant. The buffets were recycled from the day before and not as tasty. Individual food preparation stations within the buffet area were better than the prepared foods displayed. Felt like we were "nickel and dime" for everything from pictures to trinkets. However, the entertainment was FANTASTIC. Everyday was something different. Would sail with Royal Caribbean Cruise Line again.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

For the most part I found the excursions to be very high priced. In my opinion there should be more excursions offered for a lower cost or free. Nevertheless, all other areas were nice.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was founded in 1968 and has since developed two unique destinations, Labadee and CocoCay; it also sails to numerous popular worldwide cruise destinations.

• Adventure Ocean youth program: Adventure Ocean provides kid-friendly activities for babies, tweens and teens.

• Flexible dining experience: Dining options range from casual dining venues to sophisticated meals in the dining hall.

• Onboard casino: Gambling enthusiasts can take a seat at the Roulette table or slot machines while sailing to the next destination.

• Performances: Movie fans can enjoy watching Tony award-winning performances.

• Pre-sailing communication: Guests can take advantage of itinerary updates and online check-in; these updates let them know what is available to cut the wait time and when it's time to board the ship.

• Best for: The Royal Caribbean liner is best for active adults and families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs