3.34/5

863 Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

This was our first cruise so I was very interested in how it would go. I do not base my decisions on others misfortunes. I can say with great confidence that this was a very excellent experience. Each person that provided me with customer service was above and beyond what I expected. Yes there was a couple of crew members were not very personable, but who knows what they are going through. The ship was clean and very well maintained. The food was good in each restaurant we ate in. If you are going on a cruise, while on the cruise “wash your hands”, as we know people are nasty, not everyone is washing. Yes we highly recommend this cruise line to anyone who ask. Thank you Independence of the Sea for a wonderful getaway!

Original review: April 22, 2019

This was our 16th cruise with Royal Caribbean. This was our last cruise with them. It was a Panama Canal Cruise departing Miami Feb 25th, 2019. People began to get sick early on so we knew something was going on. I began to cough at first and it became progressively worse so I spent all my time in the cabin. We have been taught "viruses do not need antibiotics" so attempted to ride it out. A few days later my wife was sick as well and became progressively worse to day 13 we headed to the medical centre. Diagnosed as "influenza" and quarantined to cabin. My wife had an x-ray taken and was to return to Med Centre later. We were told she would need to be Hospitalized for further tests. Fair enough! The next morning Dr. told us she would have to remain in Hospital so I was about to return to Ship in Port to collect our belongings and was informed the Ship had notified Hosp they were packing our belongings.

When they arrived the luggage was unsecured so I immediately began to look for valuables from safe. Found "list of items" in cabin and safe contents, however, jewelry and cash were missing. Reported this to the Port Agent who was going to contact Ship now at sea. No contact so contacted Royal Caribbean and simply told to file a "lost" report. Confused I did as told. Searched luggage many times over next few days and found the "attendant" had literally gone through a wallet as well as jewelry case, jewelry box and cash listing each item. Police state this is an "illegal search" as unnecessary. Officer said Royal Caribbean "responsible" to secure and ensure belongings Safe and returned intact. They made the decision to pack our belongings.

Wrote letters to Royal Caribbean Head office and numerous phone calls. Response was: Royal Caribbean is not responsible or liable, however, we can offer you $300.00 compensation. Executive Management Team member condescending and insulting. I was advised by local Police to contact lawyer, which Management team member had no problem with telling me it was my right. Callous on top of it all. We will never Cruise with Royal Caribbean and have cancelled another cruise to Alaska resulting in loss of Deposit. So much for being Loyal to Royal. They Violated our Rights to Privacy and clearly items were stolen while luggage in the Ship's possession. Currently searching for a lawyer to seek Legal retribution.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Terrible company to do business with. Signed up for a cruise to Bermuda. When we booked the cruise it was supposed to be docked in Bermuda for 3 days. By the time we went on the cruise they had changed the itinerary so we had less than 1 and a half days in Bermuda. Then to top it off they arrived at home back in NJ a day early and they tell us we have to be off the boat by 7:50 am now instead of the original time of 12. This company will do whatever it takes to screw you out of what you are paying for and then nickel and dime you on top of it.

I spent well over 2 grand to go on this cruise to a place that is warm for 3 days and they decide to change the itinerary so we are there for less than 24 hrs and instead take they take us to a place that is even colder than the place we came from. Why the heck would anyone think that is okay. I will never be booking with RC again. I’m literally so disgusted with this company that it’s not even funny. I don’t know if I will ever be going on a cruise again with any company after this experience.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My boyfriend and I booked a 7 night cruise with RC leaving FT Lauderdale for 4/27. My boyfriend's mother has become very ill and we can no longer travel. I asked Royal Caribbean to please due to illness change our ship sail date to August. Instead they plan on keeping my much saved cruise money and have the nerve to ask me to rebook! I’ll be going back to Carnival who doesn’t steal 1700 dollars down the drain and I’m not doing down without a fight.

Original review: April 16, 2019

We missed our Ship Symphony of the Seas because my Dad had a life threatening heart attack and passed away the day we were suppose to fly to Miami. We did manage to get to Miami the following day and managed to jump through many hoops to get on the Allure of the Seas, only to find out we would have to pay for a whole second cruise, they would not transfer the money spent on the Symphony of the Seas to the Allure of the Seas, and we were made to pay for two cruises. I think under the circumstances, they would be more empathetic to the situation and handle this differently. It was a circumstance beyond our control. It was also devastating to lose my dad. They are horrible and will never cruise with Royal Caribbean ever again. It is too bad because we were married on Oasis of the Seas. Resolutions department was also horrible. BEST CRUISE LINE is their statement, and that is TRULY FALSE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Original review: April 13, 2019

My family and I specifically chose the Empress of the Seas for its itinerary - Cozumel, Havana (overnight), and Nassau. After reading some of the reviews on Cruise Critic, I was a bit worried about sailing on this specific ship. No worries! My family and I were presently surprised at the service and how well maintained the ship was. The ship is the smallest in the NCI fleet, which was fine by us! Mega ships are overrated; being on a smaller ship makes it much easier & quicker to learn the layout of the ship and you can walk from one end to the other in 5 minutes!

Excellent dining experience in both the dining room and the Windjammer cafe! Huge selection of foods available...and quality of the food was very good to excellent. Desserts at the buffet were much better than I remember from my past experiences on NCL and Carnival. There were options for beverages at the Windjammer for those who chose not to purchase the pricey drink packages-lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch, water, and coffee. The coffee was much too strong for my taste, but it was decent. Staff on the ship couldn’t have been more helpful-from Deny (our room attendant), to our waiters in the dining room-Valento and Viny, and who can forget the hilarious activities staff who made playing trivia every day a hoot!

Our accommodation was an oceanview stateroom. Yes, the rooms are small, but how much time do you actually spend in your room!?! I don’t know about anyone else, but I go on cruises to spend time in the ports of call, on the sun decks, and at activities, not wasting away in my room!!! Past posts indicate the ship is in poor repair and musty/dirty. I can tell you that I found none of this on the Empress of the Seas. I am a neat freak so I would have definitely noticed these things! No areas of the ship were closed off due to maintenance when we sailed (as I had read in previous posts). The pool and hot tubs were well maintained and were never shut down.

Embarkation and debarkation when stopped at ports of call was quick and painless. I was a tad worried about getting sick on a cruise, given what is publicized in the media so often. The staff went above and beyond to encourage passengers to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before meals to help with the spread of germs. I can tell you as a nurse I sincerely appreciated this! Shout out to Neilbert for greeting us at the Windjammer Café multiple times a day and encouraging us to “washy washy”!!! I would definitely consider traveling on the Empress of the Seas in the future!

Original review: April 10, 2019

Loud banging noise coming from my bathroom the entire trip. Could hear almost the entire time. Made it difficult to sleep. Asked for it to be fixed multiple times. It never got fixed. My mini fridge didn’t work. Can’t get food past a certain time very limited options. Please pick a different cruise line.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I just get out of Mariner of the Seas; 04-08-19. It was my second time cruising with RCCL; the first one back on 10-2017, was a nightmare; Majesty of the Seas. We give RCCL a second chance and this time was totally Amazing. First the only two good things from Majesty of the Seas, Ricky entertainment director and Daniel; food and beverage, server from Colombia; were here in the Mariner of the Seas. We was very happy to see them again, they both always pass our expectations; all they do, they do it with passion; people like them is what any cruise should had. Rímel and Angelo, our servers in our dining room; very nice, super cordial and respectful, they really love what they do; we really enjoy been served by them and we will love to see them again in our future cruise. Overall, the Ship was great, great service; we really enjoy it. We will definitely do more cruises with RCCL. Our cabin number was 9337.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have sailed with Royal Caribbean exclusively for many, many years & LOVED it. I am an Emerald member & I have sailed alone, with family, friends & large groups & was ALWAYS satisfied. I have sent to Royal Caribbean no less than 67 additional travellers who had either never taken a cruise before or were so afraid of being on a large body of water that they never even considered cruising before.

I have sang their praises to all who would hear & had no regrets until recently. I cruised in January 2018 with a large group of family & everyone had a great time but when I booked for February 2019 I found that no one could any longer choose the decks upon which they had always cruised on previously without extra fees?

This upset many who chose not to go. Now while trying to book for 11/2020 I find that not only is the deposit now double what it was; but now that deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE!!! Now I'm not talking about 5 or 6 months out, fees for such is to be expected; no I'm talking about booking today & having to cancel tomorrow!

For my sister & her family the deposit is $2250 ($450 per person!) Who can afford to lose that kind of money??? This cruise does not sail for 20 months, anything could happen! So travel insurance is now REQUIRED when I have cruised without it for 28 years with no problems. Royal Caribbean now charges a $179 fee to secure your trip in all the ways that just a few months ago were complimentary.

I researched the major travel insurance companies like AIG & found that it's MUCH cheaper to insure thru them. So now you can no longer hold your booking 24/hr while deciding. You can no longer even choose your own cabin as there is now a fee for that. Cabins of the exact same size are no longer the same price but as now it depends upon which deck said cabin is located on.

All the extra fees made the cruise we had hope to take next year, $487 more than the cruise we took this year & the price is still going up! I had thought cruising was done for us & I certainly will never send another soul Royal Caribbean's way; I in fact managed to talk someone out of sailing with Royal Caribbean just this morning & I feel so proud.

That being said, I have been researching the Princess Line & I am liking what I see: You can still do a 24 hour hold on bookings, you can choose your own cabin (fee free) & cancellation fees don't kick in until about the five months before your cruise set sail as was the norm. If you are planning to cruise check out Princess or Holland America but don't sail with Royal Caribbean. Just like the airlines, it has become one big fee fest!

Original review: March 27, 2019

I just got off the phone with a supervisor from Royal Caribbean because they had changed our already booked cabin yesterday (3/26/19) without notifying us until a day later. We booked our 3 day cruise to the Bahamas on Navigator of the Seas on March 11 over the phone, the associate that helped us to book a Junior Suite room Cabin 1106 for 4 guests. When I called today (3/27/19) to find out why they changed our room, they said it was because that room does not fit 4 guests even though their website specifically states that the room does fit 4 guests.

They decided to move us to another Junior Suite room, but one that has a 20% obstructed view, I was clearly upset because the room I specifically requested was a great corner unit with unobstructed views, so I asked if they would provide any compensation for their mistake like offering onboard credit or beverage packages for us, but they flat out said no, that their supervisor had reviewed our situation and said they wouldn't provide any perks even though it was their fault!!! They basically offered us 2 choices, to take the obstructed room or to cancel our reservation without penalty... This comes as a big surprise to me since Royal Caribbean is usually pretty good at fixing issues, but after reading some of the reviews on this site, I now see them for what they are, a greedy business with awful business practices!!!! Beware of this company!

Original review: March 27, 2019

The ship was too big! This meant that the little things were omitted in the name of more pricey space options like stores, cafes, and restaurants. Passengers could not do their own laundry or iron their evening garments. These services were performed by the crew and had price tags. Additionally, while there were lots of food options, I missed the ability to have a freshly prepared omelet with veggies cooked my way. The music was not Caribbean, it was pop culture. There were no kettle drums playing on deck near the pool. Each port that we stopped featured shops run by the cruise line. I missed the ability to purchase handmade items made by the locals. It was all too sterile - safe -- but the local flavor was erased.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I booked a cruise in July of 2018 with the final payment due in March 2019. 2 days before the scheduled payment due date, with no notice they ran the card. This was not the card I had intended to use. Had either they or the travel agency contacted me, there would have been no issue. They didn't and cancelled my dream vacation. Since my husband has become quite ill, this would likely have been our last cruise together. They gladly reinstated the reservation as a NEW reservation at almost double the price with none of the previous perks like onboard credits and early check-in. The travel agency proceeded to put pressure on me to make an immediate decision. Fast sell. Money Hungry. Unethical.

Original review: March 23, 2019

This was our first and last cruise on RC. We have sailed 14 times on Carnival, and will be sticking with them. Here's why: After eating at the Chops Grille (paid restaurant), my 20 yo daughter had tummy issues. I went to the infirmary to get some meds (shops were closed) and they nailed her with "stomach flu" and quarantined her for the next 24 hrs - when we were in Nassau, with $700 Atlantis passes for our family of 4. She argued with them that she was fine, it was food poisoning (she was ill within 20 mins of eating the beef Carpaccio, which she said tasted off), but they insisted on confining her to her room.

The ice machines in the buffet were broken, so they had plastic bins with ice and plastic scoops just floating there. Kids were dipping their hands into the bin. The water in the bathroom sinks stunk like sewage and was sometimes brown-tinged. The food had very little variety, and the "Asian Market" in the buffet was all Indian food. That's fine, but have some variety. The desserts were limited, with NO CHOCOLATE anything except at the restaurant. I have family and friends who swear by RCL, but I found it to be extremely lacking in amenities, fun things to do, and the food was bland and basic, and the same every day for breakfast. This was not what we expected. I will never sail on RC again, and neither will the rest of our clan. We cruise about 3 times a year, and always on Carnival. I do not recommend RCL.

Original review: March 23, 2019

12 days before my cruise, it was cancelled because the Navigator of the Seas did not get its upgrade done in time. I was promised a full refund. I was given a 500.00 voucher for another cruise-whoopee! What about my vacation? Most of my money has been returned but I am having a hard time getting my airlines tickets reimbursed. I had ordered them thru Air and Sea and they claimed I cancelled the cruise and sent a portion back. I have been arguing with them since for a 480.00+ refund. Gabriel told me the 450. Was refunded to a credit card which is not my card number. He told me to wait 30 to 60 days to see it - bullcrap. I am working with my credit card company now.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Room was booked online. We didn't get the room that was advised. They Were varnishing Banisters Inside the ship that were not even being used at the time. Smell leak and state rooms making up severely sick. Will never use this cruise line again 1st and Last time. This cruises for poor people. Everything is a lie! No one Takes accountability. My family was hospitalized after the cruise due to all the fumes that they were trying to cover up with air freshener. They had no clue what an ozone machine was. The state Room is a Closet. They offered us another cruise With them. We Refused. I wouldn't take the cruise even if it was free. Be warned. worse cruise line ever. Management needs to realize Paint Should only be used in well Ventilated areas.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Royal Carribean is great value for money. Falls somewhere between Carnival and Princess. They offer good itineraries, lots of activities and shore excursions and the onboard services are good. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Royal Caribbean really let us down on our last cruise. They failed to tell us at the time of booking that we would be sailing with over 1000 Pittsburgh Steelers fans and 600 college students on spring break. Both these groups combined added up to close to 1700 drunken idiots that we had to put up with partying and throwing up and accosting my 17 yr old daughter, for a 4 night cruise. It was appalling. When I got back to dry land, I called to complain and the customer service dept could care less that our vacation was ruined. Shame on you Royal Caribbean.

Original review: March 17, 2019

When I booked my cruise in Cyber Friday I elected to put down a $200 deposit and pay the rest later. Evidently the entirety of the cruise payment is due 90 days out. That's fine. However, instead of reminding me by text, call, email, or even letter, RC provided NO notice and then CANCELED MY RESERVATION AND GAVE MY Cabin away. They had my credited card information and could have just charged the balance but no not even an email or call. I emailed them to ask for a invoice to pay my balance and was told my booking was already canceled. When did they want full payment???

Again instead of calling, texting, or emailing, they just decided it made the most sense to cancel my reservation. I have been on many cruises and this was the first time I had an issue. DO NOT BOOK DIRECTLY WITH RCCL. Total scam. It's crazy that they made no effort come up with a solution other than re-booking and paying again. WTH? Also RCCL there is no such thing as customer service. It is nonexistent.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Purchased a cruise leaving April 13th, my kids spring break. An hour later they confirmed a cruise for the following week. They first told me I made a mistake, when I emailed them the screenshots I took, they admitted the April 13th cruise had a “passenger restriction” but then tried to sell me back the same cruise for $1300 more! It took weeks to get my money back when I canceled the cruise I never booked. I made a complaint to the BBB and Royal Caribbean responded that pursuant to the contract, they can change dates and prices. They also said they “don’t consider this a customer service issue on their part”. Imagine if any other industry tried to pull that?

Original review: March 13, 2019

I had a great experience, but you need a place to iron your clothes. Other Cruise lines let iron or press clothes in the laundry room. They don't and charge you a hefty fee to press your clothes. This is a rip off! Sammy

Original review: March 11, 2019

When I booked my cruise in February. I elected to put down a $500 deposit and pay the rest later. Evidently the entirety of the cruise payment is due 90 days out. That's fine. However, instead of reminding me by text, call, email, or even letter, RC provided NO notice and then CANCELED MY RESERVATION AND GAVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE. They called me on 3/11 to tell me this. When did they want full payment? 3/10. So instead of calling, texting, or emailing, they just decided it made the most sense to give away my cruise reservation for my honeymoon. They offered me two equally horrible options. 1: Pay the same amount as the first cruise they canceled (which was an ocean view room), but get downgraded to an interior cabin. 2: Pay $650 MORE to stay in ocean view. WHAT! With my options so horribly limited, I elected to spend $650 more for the same reservation I already had. Total scam.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Royal Caribbean sold out to the highest bidder. Ruined a family's holiday of a lifetime for greed and money. We booked a 4 day cruise from Port Canaveral as means of relaxing after our Disney excursion. A way of relaxing and getting that Caribbean Cruise experience. However we have been told that some sort of carnival have now chartered the entire cruise. They are happy to refund or offer alternative dates. This is no use to us because this kind of holidays for a UK family doesn't happen often. We even said we will drive from Orlando to Miami to catch another cruise on the same date but they won't even accommodate us in any way. My family now have no accommodation booked for the last 4 days of our holiday and no plan in place. All because Royal Caribbean sold us out to the highest bidder.

Original review: March 10, 2019

In September we placed our deposit down for a cruise to the Carribean’s, while onboard. We wanted to try something a bit different. They suggested trying out the Anthem of the Seas out of Cape Liberty, NJ. The itinerary wasn’t everything I preferred, as I found it odd to stop in Cape Canaveral, FL, for a destination in the Carribean. But we looked past that, as we would continue on to Coco Cay, (one of our favorite destinations) and then onto the the Bahamas. He told us that many new improvements were being made to their private island. This had a huge impact on our decision to book this particular cruise. We also like the idea of sailing out of Cape Liberty, and enjoying a different cruise experience on Anthem of the Seas.

We paid our cruise in full, and 9 days prior to sailing, we used our points we accumulated from our ROYAL CARIBBEAN credit cards, to put up some onboard credits to be used while onboard. Then on DAY 8, we received notification of the itinerary change... OMG you have got to be Kidding ME! Another stop in Florida... That is just so wrong. This is far from a Caribbean vacation.

For an 8 day cruise we stop at only 1 destination, and the only compensation offered to the guests is a free shuttle service to a shopping destination, and/or to South Beach In Miami. The reason: COCO CAY renovations are incomplete. This must have been known to RCCL for quite some time, and they choose to notify us 8 days prior, and the best they can do to accommodate their guests is another stop in Florida (their home base in Florida) so RCCL can make yet a bigger profit, rather than selecting a Caribbean destination. You compensate the guests with so little, when we expected a tropical vacation, and what we actually get is a trip from the states to the states. Should you change your name to ROYAL FLORIDA? I didn’t book a Disney vacation.

We have 2 balcony rooms booked on this sailing. Once we received the notification, we called RCCL to voice our disappointment only to wait 30 minutes for customer service to pick up, and after speaking to the first representative, we asked to speak with a supervisor, and then put on hold for an additional 30 minutes. We expressed our concerns and asked if anything else could be done to save our relationship with Royal Caribbean, ie. Complimentary upgrades etc. We were told there were no upgrades available, only a downgrade... REALLY? He suggested we email mycruise@rccl.com to see if anything more can be done to preserve us as loyal RCCL customers. I did that, but have yet to receive a response other than you will be put in queue, (first come, first serve) to receive a response.

Being a Diamond Member (very close to Diamond +) I am ready to bale on RCCL as we are receiving unacceptable compensation for what we expected to receive, and paid for accordingly. Loyalty does not seem to matter. Perhaps it’s time for RCCL to lose their loyal customers who have encouraged other family members and friends (trust me I have done groups of 22+) to sail with RCCL. Just so angry right now, our complaints seem to be going unheard and dismissed, and the representative are told to stick to a one for all reply. Just Unbelievable! I want to cancel my trip altogether, but it’s too damn late.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We booked an 8 day cruise to go the Bahamas. We received an email stating we weren't going to the Bahamas, instead they replaced the Bahamas with MIAMI, FL! This is not an equitable exchange, especially monetarily! This is how Royal Caribbean makes out on their cruises! They set up the policy saying changes in destination the customer will not receive reimbursement or exchange for future cruise.

I would love to know how many customers get screwed out of the money they paid for the cruise and how much RC is adding to their bottom line! This is horrible customer relations. There has to be an attorney that takes on the RC in defense of how they are taking advantage of their customers. Too many customers won't argue about this policy; they just contribute to RC at their own expense. Maybe I can be write it off on my taxes... Special category: getting ripped off by CRUISE LINE!

Original review: March 7, 2019

Book a cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Cuba on the very old vessel. Decor needs updating and a bigger allowance for entertainment. My real complaint is water break, no water no shower before dinner. They never told anyone what was happening with the water, customer service was swamped. Finally water back on decided to brush to just to get filthy dirty water coming out. This seem not to be important to them to alert anyone. Executive services notified and they try to blame it on me, what? They will offer a small percent off on next cruise. I want compensated for the cruise I just took with the problems. They refuse so I refuse to use them anymore.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Have sailed 12 times 10 with Royal Caribbean but never again. My wife and I both became ill. Staff didn't provide soap or monitor hand washing so a lot of people got sick. The ship doctor was so busy you couldn't get in. She missed 4 days of the cruise and 1 day of work. I missed 4 days of work customer service did absolutely nothing. We have spent $25000.00 + with them and they offered nothing. I am sharing my experience with everyone I know and every social media platform I can find.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I sailed from Port Canaveral on the Oasis to Nassau, Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Martin 7 days - 4 spent cruising. First - If you aren't interested in Gambling, buying jewelry or high-end purses or drinking more than 10+ drinks a day - this trip might not be for you. I am a fairly frugal person who like a couple cocktails on occasion - the drink package is pretty steep and both people in a stateroom must buy in - regardless of if you drink or not. The All inclusive package will run you between $800 - $1100 for the week. It is a drink anything and everything - I like to call it the get wasted pkg. Many people on the cruise had this. Pay as you go is the alternative.

I opted to buy a couple of bottles of liqueur for the room with mixers - my cost was $91.00 for a 1 bottle of gin, 1 bottle of vodka and 8 cans of tonic, about 24 drinks a bottle - not bad. We still had Gin left over at the end of the trip. It was my understanding that I could buy a pkg of 10 drinks at any bar once I got on board - for about $80. Seemed like a good idea since my boyfriend drinks beer - it would save a couple dollars per beer. Well - when I got to the bar when we first got on the ship the bartender said they no longer offer the 10 drink package... But on my 6th day on board I noticed a card at one of the bars offering just that - "10 drink pkg for 79.00" - The bartender lied - pretty crappy.

The program where you can get alcohol delivered to your room is called "Royal Gifts". If you like a cocktail at the end of the day in your room - do this - Room service fee is $7.00 (every time - regardless of what you buy) + 18% gratuity, 2 cocktails about $23. Another thing - I was bored most of the time on the ship. The pools were jam-packed with drunks, drinking in the pool. There was no place to escape the noise - no quiet - even in the room most of the time. I lounged in the sun for a couple hours, climbed the rock wall a few times, zip lined the 50 -75 ft, went to a few shows (lasted 15min for Cats... Sorry Cats fans, it wasn't for me). The food was good, no complaints - if you like to eat 24/7... you can and many people on this ship do. The comedy club was the best entertainment on the ship - oh and the Aqua theater show was also top notch.

We had a room over the Boardwalk on the 14th floor and we had a nice view of the aqua theater and boardwalk and ocean. Our room attendant was perfect. We had 3 mystery charges on our account, they fixed these, but pay attention daily to your charges and get them corrected right away. We also had another instance that really irritated me. Our room included a "soda package". It didn't state that when we booked, so my boyfriend bought it - $20 a day for a cup and non-alcoholic water, juice, soda ice... You would think that Royal Caribbean would have let him know it was included with the stateroom we chose - they didn't.

Pay attention to the color coding on your stateroom when you book to find out what comes with it so you don't pay for something included. We had to call to get this fixed. Excursions - ugh - I paid $8.00 water taxi + $20 2 chairs + $10 umbrella for the beach in the Bahamas - the excursion cost ?$98 each... Do a little research and save yourself a few dollars. (Same beach) I also bought a bottled water package for the room - $38 for a giant case... I didn't need that much, but it was worth it. They don't offer smaller packages. Every "raffle" included some kind of sales pitch... buy more jewelry stuff - it was irritating.

I attended the Art Auction, it was mildly interesting. Bahamas - beautiful water great beach activities for the short duration in port. St. Thomas - Interesting nice beaches - didn't get to explore much, not enough time. St. Martin - Nice beaches - hit hard with hurricane in 2017 - working hard to rebuild. I used the gym daily. It was clean and adequate - but you have to pay for any classes, that was disappointing. I accidentally got a $9.98 protein shake... Whoops I thought it was included... In the Spa deli, the yogurt was included. Tricky. Overall - I wouldn't do this cruise again. It wasn't really for me.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I have sailed with RC many times in the last few years, have just achieved diamond status and have 3 cruises booked with them this year. On the whole we really enjoy our cruises and find the onboard staff great. In January we booked a cruise for ourselves and our granddaughter. We were told by the representative that if we watched for the “kids sail free promotion” that to call and we would save our granddaughter's fair of approximately $800.00 CDN. You guessed it. The sail came on and we called and they said it would cost us more to change our booking and get the kids sail free.

After many calls to customer service, where they failed to call back within 24 hours as promised, they said there was no evidence that we were told we would get the promotion. They claim they only keep recorded calls for 30 days and no evidence in notes of what we were told. Beware. Make sure your representative puts everything in notes. Time to consider Princess Cruise Lines.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Worst vacation ever on @RoyalCaribbean. Feb 17 leaving Galveston. 2 fun days at sea then Roatan Honduras on 3rd day. Excellent excursion to the ziplines... Costa Maya on day 4 was great at a private beach, an all inclusive. Night time comes, my wife has a bad headache and vomiting. It got worse as the night settled in. 2:30 am Friday morning I decided to take her to the ship's medical center. The nurse took her vitals, running fever 100.8 F. A tall ** male walks in the room, looks at me, looks at my wife then looks at me again. I said "hello." Nothing back, he walks around the corner and goes in a room while he looked at me one more time. The nurse then types something in the computer and she said the doctor is ready to see her.

We walked inside that room where the stranger went. Surprise! He is doctor Elie... Barely talking with a heavy accent he listens to her heart and breathing, then he asked the nurse to run an influenza test. Walked back to the nurse as she's opening a package. As we are walking out of his office my wife mentioned that he smelled like alcohol and most likely he is drunk. That explained the odd behavior of the doctor.

The nurse asked my wife to blow her nose and clear it, then she inserted a long 10" stick about 1 inch up a nostril then she placed that stick in a little plastic strip that looked like a pregnancy test. A red color band went from A to C and cleared leaving a red strip at C. Test result negative. Then they gave her 2 injections and a bunch of ibuprofen to take for her headache and fever. Right before leaving he asked the nurse to have an urine test done as well. That came out negative for whatever they were looking for and told us to come back at 8 am for follow up.

8 am Friday morning we walked in the medical office on deck 1 again. Two other couples waiting in the waiting room. Walked in and went to the person behind the counter to "sign in". He told me to sit down and someone will call us in. I asked him if he knows who to call. That's when he asked for the room number and found my wife's notes. I now knew that he knows who to call in. 30 long minutes passed by then someone came out and called us in. This male nurse took her vitals again and walked us in a room called "ward 3" and asked her to lay down.

2.5 long hours passed and Jeorge (the doctor) walks in repeating the listening to her heart and breathing. Then he asked another nurse to run an influenza test. We tried to tell him that the test was performed a few hours before, then I had to show him on the printout. He said we need to test again. My wife asked him if we have to pay again for the test and he sarcastically responded that we have to pay for as many tests he needs done. Again the nurse gets the 10" stick to insert it in my wife's nostril. My wife already did that a few hours before so she asked for a tissue so she can blow her nose and clear it. The nurse said "no, no, no, what are you doing? You can't do that, I need to collect your mucus for the test." Then she inserted that stick about 3" deep in both nostrils and took it in another room. 3 minutes later she comes back with "influenza A positive."

Doctor comes back in ward 3 with a mask on, saying that he needs to give my wife another shot for headache. We tried telling him that the shot she received last night did not do anything for her headache and she doesn't really want that shot. He then got aggravated and sarcastic saying he already opened the medicine and now he has to throw it in the trash. He grabbed a paper and he walked out like he was mad. The nurse came back in the room with some ** and said that my wife will be contained in the stateroom for the rest of our cruise.

This whole masquerade cost us over $700 because they did not diagnose it right the first time, but yet our first visit was $478 and second was $253. I did not agree with the charges for my first visit since what they did was ineffective and pointless, so at about 6:30 pm I went to guest services and let them know. Guest services cannot do anything about the medical charges so they sent me back to deck 1 to talk to the head-doctor (the boss). Funny that the head-doctor was Mr. Jorge from 8:00 am visit. So I tried explaining what my problem is. He laughingly told me that he will fix my first bill and most likely will be higher and he gave me a business card with some phone numbers to call and file complaints with them if I want.

I'm not a doctor but I can clearly tell that the first influenza test was not done correctly and therefore the first visit was pointless. The second visit at 8:00 am was successfully and correctly diagnosed. I don't believe I should have to pay for our first visit. These mistakes from unprepared doctors could cause much worse problems. This virus could've been spread throughout the ship.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

We applied a balance from honeyfund to our paid in full trip. One week prior to our vacation Royal Caribbean canceled our cruise. We are now being refunded everything except the honeyfund balance. Cheaters.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was founded in 1968 and has since developed two unique destinations, Labadee and CocoCay; it also sails to numerous popular worldwide cruise destinations.

• Adventure Ocean youth program: Adventure Ocean provides kid-friendly activities for babies, tweens and teens.

• Flexible dining experience: Dining options range from casual dining venues to sophisticated meals in the dining hall.

• Onboard casino: Gambling enthusiasts can take a seat at the Roulette table or slot machines while sailing to the next destination.

• Performances: Movie fans can enjoy watching Tony award-winning performances.

• Pre-sailing communication: Guests can take advantage of itinerary updates and online check-in; these updates let them know what is available to cut the wait time and when it's time to board the ship.

• Best for: The Royal Caribbean liner is best for active adults and families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs