2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.61/5

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines?

Original review: April 10, 2020

Cruising is the best way to go on a vacation. You visit many locations without having to change hotels nor pack and unpack. I like cruises so much that I have been on 29 of them. The best cruise line is Royal Caribbean International since on their ships there are activities for everyone, no matter your age, your nationality, ethnicity, education, etc. Once you board one of their ships you are in a different world, where you are treated like royalty and every crew member is there to make your vacation a dream come true.

The company has many classes of ships and each class is different and has its own way of enchanting its guests. That is why you can say that there is a ship and a class for everyone and every taste. Another thing I find very important and have found true on each ship is the cleanliness. During a day, everywhere you look there is a crew member cleaning the different areas with a smile on their face. Once you try a cruise on any of RCI's ships you will surely want more and will say "I am loyal to Royal".

Original review: April 1, 2020

Have cruised 3 different lines (NCL, Carnival, & RCCL), and between all will continue to cruise RCCL over and over again. The entertainment on these ships (especially the Oasis and Quantum/Quantum-Ultra classes) are spectacular. From outstanding live shows, to comedy shows, laser-tag, ice skating + ice shows, bumper cars, escape rooms, you name it! They have entertainment to match any and all types. The rooms are incredibly comfortable, and the higher you go in cabin class the more exquisite the experience becomes with their "Suite Benefits". Even larger ships such as the Oasis class do not feel crowded as one would expect. The layout of the larger ships keeps you from feeling cramped in. Ship-board activities abound each day. There is literally something for everyone.

If I had to suggest an area of improvement, I would have to choose the food. The food at buffet is okay, and main dining room food is a bit better. Specialty dining areas are wonderful, but there's an up-charge for those. The quality of the food options included in the cruise fare could stand some improvement. However, with all other things that RCCL provide, I continue to sail with them despite this, as in my humble opinion, they still rank the best so far.

Get buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

My family and I went on a 4-night cruise in Nassau, Bahamas on Navigator of the Seas during the week of Thanksgiving this year. I have been on about five cruises, four of which have been on Royal Caribbean and I am always very happy with my experience. This was a great trip as well however, the dining experience was not as great as I remembered from my past cruises. However, aside from the food, the entertainment on the ship was as great as usual. My family regularly went to the bars on the promenade in the evening for drinks and good music. Every night, there was plenty to go to including comedy shows, karaoke, parties on the pool deck and plenty of activities for small children.

On our days off the ship, we went to the Royal Caribbean owned island in Nassau, Coco Cay and had an amazing experience. There were water parks, wave pools, different beach areas, pool bars, and great service from the staff. This is a great site for families as there is plenty to do for people of all ages. On our other day off the ship, we took one of the Royal Caribbean excursions and enjoyed a nice boat tour around the island and an evening sunset cruise that had free rum punch and great tour guides!

On our day at sea, we also got massages and facials at the spa onboard. We received stellar service during our treatments and it was such a relaxing experience. On the cruise, photographers are all around and capture great moments of you and your family. So, in the end we were able to select our favorite photos and compile a photo book that was just sent to our house. The price was a good deal at about $150 to capture our experience in a high-quality book. My family and I overall had a great trip and will continue to cruise with Royal Caribbean in the future.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

When my mother turned 60 I struggled with the perfect gift to give her. We decided that she would very much enjoy a family cruise to western Caribbean so I booked it with insurance and paid for it in full in January 2019. Fast forward to September 2019 and she received the devastating news that she had stage 4 lung cancer. She had a lung drain placed and has chemo and immunology every week. Doctors were worried about her ability to fight infections on such a large ship with many people from all over the world so they suggested she not go.

Now the second devastation in less then 2 months. We call the insurance and had detailed explanation of the process and submitted our paperwork. In less than 3 weeks we got back every dime we spent except the cost of insurance (which I totally understand). If I can offer anyone a piece if advice get the trip insurance for it because you never know. Thank you Royal Caribbean for making this transition a bit easier. We will definitely be back once she is well enough to travel!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

They will usually offer all sorts of upgrades for rooms and you can bid on these which I did. Depending on your budget and level of activities you plan to participate in on the cruise a regular balcony will be sufficient but the suites are also very nice, roomy and the grand suites are excellent, with a separate partition for the bedroom and living room area and a small dining area. The bathroom for this suite was very comfortable and roomy as compared to the regular rooms as the showers in those are cramped but workable. All of the closet space has ample room for cruising unless you pack for several weeks and even then you'll still have enough room.

The one big complaint is the drink packages that we had and the availability of the soda machines were not very convenient nor were the ice cream machines. There were the main dining hall and the atrium for the ship, but this was for Mariner of the Seas. The staff on the ship was nice but do be careful if you go to the salon because they will try to sell you all sorts of overpriced products which are unnecessary. I would also be wary of the gem shops if you go to Nassau Bahamas because their "bargain price " is no bargain!

Original review: July 8, 2020

Royal Caribbean International Worst customer service ever. With all these COVID-19 issues and the uncertainty of traveling, whether it’s safe or not, you would think Royal Caribbean would be a little bit more helpful. I don’t think I will ever feel safe going on a cruise again, but I am being told that I cannot get my deposit back because I signed up for a nonrefundable trip. How could anyone have known that this was going to happen. Most all other companies out there, are willing to work with people and cancel things and refund because of this pandemic, but not Royal Caribbean. So Horrible. Never again!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I'm just going to give a quick run down of this scenario. I booked a cruise back in January for March 2020. My car broke down along the way, arrived 45 minutes late to the port, but still in time that we could have boarded. Was denied boarding. Seriously...that is the condensed version. My story actually starts in January with trying to book this cruise. Since March I have been trying to get a future cruise credit. I AM NO LONGER interested in a credit. I now want a full refund for the inconvenience, the treatment I received at the dock and the time I've had to invest in getting one of the companies to step up.

I have several emails between myself and Vacations to Go and Royal Caribbean (that is when I can get them to respond) I've just been going in circles. Royal Caribbean tells me I have to go to Vacations to Go because that is who I booked through and paid. Vacations to Go says I have to go through Royal Caribbean because that's who the money went to. Which is it???

The bottom line here is that I paid for a service and thru no fault of my own that service was not rendered. And yes, I have receipts backing that my car broke down. Tell me why you think it's acceptable to keep my money for a service not provided? It's considered THEFT and a fraudulent act. Stop trying to sympathize with me and make it right.

Ty **

Original review: June 22, 2020

Went to book another cruise with Royal Caribbean and this is what happened.. Anyone looking to cruise in the next few years I would highly recommend that you NOT cruise with Royal Caribbean. They are more than anxious to take your deposit but when there’s a global pandemic and all cruises are CANCELLED they will NOT ISSUE ANY REFUNDS... They will only provide credits.... Won’t be sailing with Royal Caribbean any time soon...

I was on the phone for over 3 hours trying to resolve my issue.. and the SUPERVISOR Sarah ** who claims she is a supervisor... continued to talk over me and would not listen to, what I was saying.. She effectively called me a liar to my face and said she would be doing nothing for me... and this was a supervisor? Needless to say their resolution Dept and customer service is absolutely terrible.. Would NOT RECOMMEND THIS CRUSIE LINE EVER.. However I would recommend VIKING CRUISE LINES AS THEY PROVIDED REFUNDS TO ALL PATRONS AFFECTED BY COVID 19. VIKING CRUISE LINES have provided FULL refunds to all patrons affected by Covid 19. ...Now that’s the cruise line I will be cruising with.

Original review: June 20, 2020

We booked a cruise for Aug 2020 with the kids sail free. We told them we had twins in the family, they marked one twin as being born in 2020? And the other birthday was correct. Every name was spelled wrong, the address was wrong. We had to call back 2 times to get everything correct. Because they messed up on the birthday, the kids sail free was only applied to one kid. They said we’d lose the room if they made changes to correct it.

After Covid came as an issue, we emailed to cancel our cruise. They emailed back saying they received our inquiry and it was being looked at. Months later we get an email saying we missed the deadline to pay and there is a $100 cx penalty per person. All of a sudden they didn’t have proof that we canceled. I forwarded the evidence, and the reply was “we still can’t refund you.” Because of Covid, the ship wouldn’t even be sailing... so why wouldn’t we get a refund on the deposit Incompetent workers, unprofessional, terrible customer service. It’s a scam to book. They do not prioritize customer care and only care about money. Not worth booking in the first place.

Original review: June 5, 2020

We were super excited to hop on the Navigator of the seas for a 4 night Bahamas cruise with our teens and other adult family members. Unfortunately, our March 16th booking was canceled due to travel restrictions from COVID-19. Long story short, we will be at 90 days this weekend that our cruise was canceled by the company, not us. We are still waiting for our refund... and you all know how much that could be when you have several passengers and rooms paid for along with drink packages and excursions ALL paid for ahead of time.

Each time we call Royal Caribbean, we are told the same song and story - we need to go through the process, etc., which we have done several times over with each new customer service representative. We ask for a supervisor and are on hold for HOURS. Eventually we are hung up on. This has occurred more than 10 times as we call each week, several times a week. We NEED our money back as well as our other family members who have lost their jobs and have no way to pay their bills except with the money this company is holding.

Personally, after dealing with the nastiness of people over the phone and being hung up on after waiting hours to speak to someone we were told COULD HELP us; I will never do business with them again. We have been told our refund would be expedited and then that it would not be after waiting to hear from a supervisor who promised to call us back after the weekend. This has happened NUMEROUS times! Lies. ALL lies. Royal Caribbean do not follow their own policy and procedures. They have hurt my family.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines author review by ConsumerAffairs

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line was founded in 1968 and has since developed two unique destinations, Labadee and CocoCay; it also sails to numerous popular worldwide cruise destinations.

• Adventure Ocean youth program: Adventure Ocean provides kid-friendly activities for babies, tweens and teens.

• Flexible dining experience: Dining options range from casual dining venues to sophisticated meals in the dining hall.

• Onboard casino: Gambling enthusiasts can take a seat at the Roulette table or slot machines while sailing to the next destination.

• Performances: Movie fans can enjoy watching Tony award-winning performances.

• Pre-sailing communication: Guests can take advantage of itinerary updates and online check-in; these updates let them know what is available to cut the wait time and when it's time to board the ship.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team