2. Travel
  3. Hotel Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.43/5

RIU Hotels Reviews

Original review: April 2, 2020

Due to the Covid19 outbreak that is pledging the world. My wedding was Postpone. AT NO FAULT OF MY OWN. We were schedule to have our wedding with 45 guest (with over 20 guest staying at their Hotels in Ocho Rios, Jamaica location) on March 20th with an arrival date of March 16th. We booked our wedding with a travel agent. As we planned to fly out to Jamaica (1 day before my scheduled time to fly out) we received a call that ALL flights have been cancelled and my wedding venue Postpone my wedding until the CoVid 19 is under control and we get the all clear. We were told that we will see the credit (refund) within 14 days from the date that the reservation was cancelled.

We received informed from the hotel in Jamaica that they will not issue our refunds (over 20 guest) not until 90 days (3 months) and they are also charging myself and some of my guest a late cancellation fee that was beyond our control and a WORLDWIDE pandemic.. This is TOTAL unacceptable. We are STILL having our wedding in Jamaica and there are plenty of other properties that will be happy to schedule reservation for me and my wedding guest. I travel to Jamaica often and RIU was always my hotel of choice, but with this recent issue I will NEVER visit another RIU hotel again..

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

My family and I stayed at the Riu Montego Bay, for 5 nights. What a waste of $8,000. Upon arrival our room arrangements were wrong. It took 2 days to sort that out. After constant nagging they gave us a new room. We had to pack up and move to another filthy room. There was no offer of help and I wasn't about to ask. The bed(s) was filthy. I have attached pictures, but they don't do it justice. When I pulled the top blanket down, it revealed the box spring, uncovered (no bed skirt) and horribly stained. Needless to say my nights were restless. One morning I awoke to an arm full of bug bites (see pics). Bed Bugs? IDK, you can be the judge, see pics. I met my daughter at breakfast and she too had similar bites (more pics)!! There I was the next night Googling bed bug bites and other filth related fears... at 3a.m.!!!

The bathroom had a steady smell of rotten sludge coming from the shower, most likely the drain. It was nauseating and you never felt clean. The food sucked, except for the Italian restaurant. For a place that advertises no reservations, it was disappointing to be turned away from a restaurant because we "weren't on the list". I could go on and on, but I think what I have written should be enough. What's worse is that I politely contacted the Riu. After several back and forth emails, their reaction was an unacceptable 'oops, sorry about that and if you book again we will give you two free nights for half of your family.... you will have to pay for the rest..' Disgraceful and absolutely unacceptable. Waste of $8,000 and an embarrassment when my family brings up the Riu-otten as they now call it.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Currently staying at this hotel and it is the worst hotel we have stayed in. The response from the hotel is non existent. We have 2 young children. Yesterday we were told by the hotel manager we could move hotels. Today after packing our bags we have been told we can not move as the reservation is with Tui but the issues are with the hotel. I urge you not to stay here!!! Below is the summary of the issues!

Day 1
    - No welcome from the hotel or welcome drinks like we saw other guests have.
    - No information about the hotel given. Despite asking about the restaurants etc. Was told to read information in the envelope.
    - Not shown to our room. We had to find our own way.
    - My husband had to help with the luggage.
    - Given a room on the first floor of a black with only 1 bed between 4 of us. The hotel moved us to another room on the 2nd floor - no elevator. We have 2 young children and 2 pushchairs. Not practical.
    - 1 pool towel between 4 of us. We had to wait 1.5 hours for more towels.
    - Ice cream in all restaurants was like soup. See attached pictures. The basic food that children want on holiday they couldn’t have.
    - Buffet at dinner was limited and areas were empty.

Day 2
    - Still having to go up 2 sets of stairs with children and the push chairs.
    - Ice Cream still like soup in EVERY restaurant!
    - No hot water. We had to tell the hotel they had a problem as they were not aware. We had to all have cold showers even the baby.

- 3 options of the cocktails that we wanted to have and were on the menu were not available as they didn’t have ingredients. still!

Day 3
    - We spent most of the morning packing all our bags so we could move rooms to a ground floor room. The room was not available until 3pm so we did not have room most of the day. Baby had to sleep outside in the pushchair instead of in a cool room.

Day 4

- Poor Maintenance of the swimming pool. The electrical light was loose and floating in the pool. See attached picture. This is a dangerous issue that we had to report to the hotel.

Day 5
    - Limited food at lunchtime. See attached pictures. Pretty much all the buffet was empty and it wasn’t even very busy in the restaurant at this time.

- STILL no ice cream. They now closed off the freezer as all of the ice cream had melted and was like soup.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

I wish I had read these Consumer Reviews before leaving my home for a relaxing Thanksgiving week on the sunny beaches of Mexico. Nope... The food, where do you even start! Who comes to a resort to eat Movie nachos and boiled hamburgers and hot dogs. I was concerned anything we eat would make us ill. It rained one day, not a lot but it shut the entire resort down and stopped any of the restaurants from being open except the buffet, which had no food on it, no tables, we couldn’t get drinks. Nothing! We complained at the front desk and they said if it rains their employees don’t come to work!!!! Are you serious! So I should be unable to eat at a resort I prepaid for because it rained a little.

The specialty restaurants also weren’t open as posted in the brochure that I was given upon check in. When I asked about they told me they decide daily which ones are gonna be open so I need to call the desk daily. Umm, ok well why give me a brochure with times if you set your own schedule. So, I tried their game and called the front desk more than once with, wait for it, NO answer! Went to the gift shop on more than one occasion, sign says OPEN, no no it’s not open. No one there and it’s closed. Who runs this place. I will never ever ever stay in a Riu property again. I have traveled the world and I’ve been in a hurricane that had better service than this. Don’t go people!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

If you like a room stocked with low shelf alcohol, rusted fixtures, mold underneath the bathroom sink, no accessible charging outlets, a balcony door that takes 6 people to open....then this is the place for you. If you desire to eat at the Steak restaurant, make your reservation immediately after you leave the front desk. There were so many wrong things that they completely overshadow any of the good things they may have on the property. If you like the tutti-fruity drinks, and Nachos at 3 am...this is your place. We were booked through our travel agent. Arrived Thursday 7/18---moved to Marriott 7/20 (it was very much worth the extra expense). Hope this is helpful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RIU Hotels?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I booked a flight and hotel through RIU and, unfortunately, I had to cancel it. I received an airline credit to be used within 1 year with the same airline that I initially utilized on my flight. About 11 months later (now) I am attempting to book my new flight with the $1,259.02 airline credit, and then I am getting the runaround. First, their instructions for re-booking state that I have to contact Expedia to re-book but Expedia stated that they are unable to re-book. They've transferred me to RIU Vacations call center to re-book. The call center is stating that I am unable to book with them since I am only booking a flight and not an entire vacation package (flight + hotel). I am told that I am not allowed to use the flight vouchers to pay for a vacation package even if I were to same with the same airline that the voucher is for.

I've been on the phone with them for 5 hours today. Every time I ask to speak with a supervisor I am put on hold and after waiting for 10-15 minutes I get hung up on. I have to call back and be put through the ringer yet again. Most recently, I was being told that the flight that I want is far more expensive than what I am seeing online, and I am told that a re-book flight is far more expensive so I have to pay the difference on top of paying a $400 fee to re-book. Every website I have checked has shown me the flight at a price lower than what I'm told by RIU so I am assuming that they are charging me extra to pocket the fees. I will be filing complaints and contesting all fees with my credit card companies.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

We checked in Aug 1st, settled in and packed all of our passports and some cash in one of the safes so we would have everything together. When we went into the safe the next morning the password was changed. When security came to open it there was $200 US dollars missing out of our money. They did absolutely nothing to rectify the issue, they even blamed us for stealing our own money or for leaving the safe open. So much contradictions and the whole management team is full of **.

Original review: July 30, 2019

DO NOT STAY HERE!! PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS. I AM WARNING YOU! I do not know how anyone gave this place more than one star. The RIU Paradise Island hotel is horrible. I hate to insult people, but they clearly have never stayed at a nice all inclusive. I am not a high maintenance person, I do not live a lavish life but this place is a nightmare. To compare, I’ve stayed at Live Aqua and ME by Melia in Cancun, Bavaro in Aruba and Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana. I came to the RIU for my sister's bachelorette party that we’ve been looking forward to for months and we were all sooo disappointed within the first hour of arriving. The place smells like damp towel, and the hallways smell like white vinegar. I can get past the stench, but what really threw us over the edge was ‘snack time’. The ‘snack time’ consisted of old cheese burgers, hot dogs, nachos, salad and some other gross food. We had that after checking in.

We then went outside to the bar area and ordered drinks. They were the worst drinks I’ve ever had in my life. The consistency and taste were horrible. My friend ordered a mojito and it looked like salad in a cup. It was just all leaves mixed with alcohol that tasted like gasoline. The pina colada that I ordered was sugary crap with a puddle of rum on top. Dinner was a joke for two reasons. One: you have to wait on a long line like cattle for two seating times. 6 or 8 o clock. Which means you need to get off of the beach or pool very early just so you can eat a crappy meal. Two: the portion sizes were a joke. We actually laughed every night at dinner. The ‘shareable appetizers’ wouldn’t even fill an infant. We were late to dinner every night because we had a blackout every night. Which means we were not ready in time.

My sister and I had adjoined rooms. We could not blow our hair using the hotel hair dryer at the same time because we would cause a blackout. So every night we had to try to coordinate who would use the hair dryer first. This caused us to be late to dinner and ultimately not having somewhere to eat for dinner. Luckily we were able to coordinate since it was my sister in the other room. Had it not been my sister or someone I knew, this would have been a big issue. The staff was rude. I can’t say that one staff men ever was friendly. All 6 of us felt like we were a burden at dinner and especially at ordering drinks by the pool. The staff would roll their eyes or tell us no. Even at dinner, some restaurants told us that we cannot order drinks or frozen drinks at dinner. This is so unheard of for me. Every all inclusive that I’ve been too everyone is very accommodating and friendly.

This place lovesss to tell their guests no. "Can I have coffee?" “IN A MINUTE!!” "Can I have a pina colada?" "No!" "Can I have Parmesan cheese?" "No!" "Can we have a table for six?" "No!" This place has no beach bar or beach service, a tiny pool and rude staff. Since there is no beach service, that means you will dehydrate to death. The room feels damp all of the time. It felt like I was sleeping in wet sheets every night. The few good things I can say about this place is that the wifi is good, the beach is gorgeous (ocean water crystal clear, no rocks, coral or seaweed) and it’s a two minute walk from Atlantis. We went to Atlantis every night because the RIUs entertainment center is ratchet and also a joke. Umbrellas and small tables on the beach were not always available. I am mind blown from this place. And the class of people that stay here are trash. I will never stay at a RIU ever again in my life.

My friends have a trip booked here and I told them how it is and they are changing the hotel. I didn’t pay all of this money to feel like an inconvenience on a vacation. It was supposed to be relaxing and it wasn’t. If you don’t have a sense of humor, then don’t stay here. All 6 of us laughed 24/7 at this place. We made so many jokes to last a life time. DO NOT STAY HERE!!! They need to clean up their act.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I would give negative stars if I could. Tried booking through the website, the booking failed but still charged $5,000 to my credit card. I called the support line, they said there was nothing they could do and I would have to dispute it with my bank. They told me to wait a little and try again. I waited an hour, tried to book again. Same thing and ANOTHER $5,000 charge to my account. Called again - they told me they could not give me any vouchers/discount for my serious inconvenience. Basically just took my money. I asked to speak to someone higher up or in a different department (ie billing), they said there were no other departments. They couldn't even book me over the phone because they said they just use the same website provided to customers. Ridiculous. If they can't even get their BOOKING to work, I can't imagine what the rest of the company is like.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Eight (8) of us traveled to Cabo in May 2019. On the third day two (2) of our locked safes were opened with staff key and money was stolen, over $2100. Sub-manager said he would launch internal investigation. BUT HOW, no security cameras on the property. He SAID he would run a report from electronic door locks then said no one entered the 2 rooms in 2 day, however, rooms had been cleaned and bar had been restocked. 1st lie we caught him in. Then we ‘witnessed the RIU Security escorting people to the beach to buy illegal drugs’, which the sub- manager denied also! Then the next day a man, without RIU uniform or ID, came to our hotel door, knocked on door and entered without our permission ‘to ‘fix’ the air conditioning‘, which we never reported as broken. Once confronted then he could not produce ID and ran off IMMEDIATELY.

Another couple was out on property and when they returned to their room, the maid had left the door OPEN and ajar, again the sub-manager DENIED his staff had gone in his room! Police in Cabo rated the RIU resorts the WORST in the region and told us horror stories of thefts in each of the three (3) resorts there! During our 6 day stay, we were approached by 10 ’other families who were ‘hit’ for cash, passports, jewelry, etc. and they were ALL told the same thing, management could not find anyone in staff who entered their rooms! Police are frustrated with RIU management because they DO NOT HELP POLICE! I recommend ‘DO NOT STAY AT ANY RIU RESORT INTERNATIONAL‘!

RIU Hotels Company Information