2. Travel

1.4/5 (55 ratings)

About RCI

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: June 12, 2021

We all just finished the worst year ever. No one could travel and borders were closed. My membership fee was paid up until 7/2020. RCI had use of my funds for the first half of 2020 however they could not deliver a product because everything was shut down. I did not receive a renewal notice like I have in the past. RCI just ignored all its customers. The very least they could have done was give a 6 month credit. No, they are to unscrupulous to do that. Instead, they just cancelled memberships and voided out thousands of dollars in weeks trading power. If anyone starts a Class Action suit, let me know, because as far as I am concerned they just stole thousands and thousands of dollars from their members.

RCI response

Hi Bonnie, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com so we can investigate. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: June 11, 2021

I called your customer service number today 06/11/2021 and spoke to an uneducated representative who has no sense of understanding and is not very helpful. I called to book a vacation for my family and was transferred to the uneducated representative that works for RCI. She had such a mean voice and was very demanding on collecting my money without trying to understand me or help me figure out how we can get this resolved. She kept demanding fees and didn't have a proper explanation when trying to ask questions. She kept repeating the same thing over and over and speaking over my voice, which made no sense and was no help. When asked to speak to a manager it took over 10 minutes and when she finally asked for a manager it was even worse.

The manager by the name of Christina clearly does not care about her clients. She was rude and also tried talking over me just to overcharge me and get my hard earned money. They both did not want to help figure this out for my account to be current. She keeps repeating that the call was recorded, which for her information I don't care if it's recorded. As a manager she has no understanding how to deal with a customer who has no clue what happened with her membership and no way of educating someone so that this issue does not happen again. All she and her stupid employee cared about was to collect my money and tell me treating words like "I need to pay these fees in order to have my account current and book a vacation." Someone don't need to hear that when they're trying to find a solution and explain their side of not knowing what's the issue with the account.

And second, I don't need and care about other customers `` as she mentioned other people are reading their emails and paying the fees. Everyone has different circumstances in life and because of Covid and everyone trying to get back to work and have a life again maybe they should put that into consideration and have some kind of understanding for customers. I was so pissed after the way they both treated me I had to yell and cuss so that they could keep their mouths shut.

While I was on the phone with these two uneducated humans, my husband called from his phone and spoke to a very nice gentleman (Ali). Ali was very helpful and understanding and got our account updated and current within 5 minutes. He also understood that due to Covid and not responding to emails, he was able to help us with an affordable payment for two years. He was honest and told me when to call back to book my vacation. Unlike those two females, I don't even know what to call them. It was the worst I ever dealt with. I feel like they need to get better training on how to talk and help customers. It's all about fees and collecting money from everyone with a proper reason. I do hope that I do not have to speak to them in the future and also hope that no one should be treated that way. Thank you.

RCI response

Hi Kishan, we're sorry to hear this. We do see you sent us an email and it was responded to. Please respond to that email if you have additional questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: June 16, 2021

After RCI responded to my article we were able to resolve the issue of the package. They notified me several times they were looking into my complaint. Thank you for your attention and reaching out to us to resolve this issue.

Original review: June 9, 2021

We purchased a travel package from RCI. It was a cruise/resort package. We have had very good service at other times from this company. We paid monthly on this package. We received a phone call giving us the option to pay in full about half way through the time frame. Covid had hit about this time and we couldn't. They reduced our payment plan by a small amount and we thought extended our time to book the cruise. When I called to schedule the cruise we were told we had missed the deadline. I spoke with several people and was told nothing could be done. In the next sentence they informed us they weren't even dealing with the company that offered these deals anymore. We were informed that we were told over the phone about the rules.

Our conversation was recorded at the time of purchase. They offered to play back the conversation. They couldn't find the recording. This was to be my husband's 70th birthday cruise. We were told we could still schedule the resort at a very, very limited resort selection. We were not told that the dates to schedule the cruise and the resort had different deadlines. NOT at all happy with this company. Please be careful dealing with them.

RCI response

Hi Wendy, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 30, 2021

January 2021 I attended a timeshare presentation & was told it’d be no more than 2hrs but lasted 3. I declined the timeshare multiple times to sales rep Greg ** due to the fact that I’d just had a recent bankruptcy 10/2020 Greg & manager Tiffany ** preyed on my need to create a better financial future for my son & assured me the timeshare would assist me in rebuilding my credit after a bankruptcy. Greg shared his experience w/ his bankruptcy & timeshare to fraudulently & unethically lure me into signing the contract. Greg & Tiffany also claimed that if I didn’t act that very day that I wouldn’t receive the RCI package.

I learned RCI is a 3rd party booking service & not an actual discount & my bankruptcy is in danger of being revoked because of the timeshare. Pressurized sales tactics knowing I had my young son & little brother w/ me, made reference directly to the children to assist in the pressure. I found the loan is for 10yrs vs the 7yrs told to me & that the interest is at 17.5% which I would’ve never agreed to especially while on my path to becoming fiscally responsible. I haven’t received a call back from Tiffany ** (the manager for sales rep Greg **) or Tiffany’s manager Jeff **.

RCI response

Hi Beanca, I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings you may have experienced. RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property nor do we employ resort sales staff. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: May 6, 2021

I have been an RCI member since 1981 or '82. I now own 3 timeshare weeks. I joined the Platinum level and also points so I'd have better trading power. In March, 2021, I reserved a week at Vista Mirage in Palm Springs for May 16-23. Today I got a call and email cancelling it and offering me 5 days in Indio (no, thanks) or a week in Club Trinidad, where I have stayed. It is still very dated and a bit run down. I'm forced to take it or my guest coming from Dallas and I will lose out on our flights, possibly car rental, tramway tickets, golf reservations and more. I think demand is so great RCI got more money renting the room (and many others) than they would keeping their bargain with me. I will spread the word. Anne **

RCI response

Hi Anne, we sorry for the frustration. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with your membership number so we can take a closer look. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: May 3, 2021

I purchased a cruise package in June 2019. The intent was to travel in 2021. My whole family got COVID and with everything shutting down, the last thing we ever considered was being stuck in a cruise ship. I just recently called the hotline and they said it expired in Dec. 2020. I asked the representative did they really think that anyone would want to travel or plan on traveling with all of the major destinations being on a level 4 travel advisory. He said he understands but nothing he can do. So now, $2400 is gone just like that because I am supposed to predict the direction that this pandemic is going in and schedule a cruise not knowing what will happen.

Seeing people stuck on a cruise boat for nearly 2 weeks made cruises look undesirable. Having long haulers effect and not knowing what the next day will feel like has made traveling not even an option right now. I have been a member of RCI for some time, and now I’m considering that our relationship should be terminated... I was told my resort voucher is still good for a month..! Thanks RCI..

RCI response

Hi Ahmire, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. Someone from our cruise area will be reaching out to you to address your concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: April 30, 2021

We have been RCI members for 20 years and platinum members for part of this. We were not able to use our points with RCI for 3 regular trips (15 months and counting) because of destinations being shut down. We tried to book a few local trips either for a few days or a week and nothing was available for this either. We received our bill for renewal or membership, platinum membership renewal and points extension. I called and spoke with them about this and also wrote a email to their feedback department. No response from the email yet. When I spoke with a manager, he told me that they were not extending points and if I wanted them extended I would have to pay for this. After a discussion, he offered a 25% discount for the points extension.

It is hard to believe that they are not working with their customers since almost every destination is closed down. All other airline, car rental, hotels, etc. extended memberships, rolled over points and even added bonuses to book with them again at no additional fees. Not RCI though. Very disappointing on how they treat their customers.

Original review: April 26, 2021

UPDATED 4/27/2021: I need to know what unit number and the week for my timeshare. So I’m looking to possibly sell it so I need to sit formation for the company. I’m with Fantasea resort La Samana in Nj. They are requesting this for their records

ORIGINAL REVIEW: We purchased a RCI timeshare several years back. And I truly like to say after all these years we don’t use it as much as we thought; And very dissatisfied. We tried multiple times to try to get out of our Timeshare and RCI does not purchase it back. We are looking for a fair share of the timeshare, And we’re willing to negotiate pricing. So I’d like just to let people now I will not purchase any Timeshare with RCI. It’s not worth it, it’s expensive, he still had to pay to book a room. I think all the money that we spent, I think all timeshares should be included with that money. Very very dissatisfied. I just want someone to contact me so we can get rid of our timeshare. I willing to accept 80 to 90% less.

RCI response

Hi Lynne, I'm very sorry to hear of your frustration. It is important to note that RCI does not own or sell timeshares. We are simply a timeshare exchange company. Please email us at talktous@rci.com for more information. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: April 20, 2021

We booked through RCI for the first time for hotel accommodations and have been greatly disappointed. We booked for a family stay to support our sons during an out of state tournament. Unfortunately, the tournament was rescheduled at the beginning of the week due to statewide Covid restrictions. We promptly called to have the reservation moved to the following week. We were told that they could not and it was up to the hotel. So we called the hotel and they said it was acceptable and they saw no problem with it. The representative from the hotel said the agency (RCI) would just need to change the dates and the rep gave us his name in case we needed it.

Called RCI back and they stone walled and the story kept changing. Now the system would not allow them to change the dates. At this point we are just frustrated. We are out $369 and we weren't looking for a refund just change the dates. Especially in the time of economic hardships it is unimaginable that a company would not just work with loyal customers. Highly disappointed.

Original review: April 12, 2021

We have been RCI cruise and resorts members for several years. When the pandemic broke out I called RCI for a refund or an extension-being in Canada we are forbidden by our government to travel or cruise at this time. Basically I was given the runaround and after 3 hours of several calls when asking for MY money back that I had earned and worked for - was told if they gave me mine back - they’d have to give everybody their money back.

But it’s mine I said- for services rendered - too bad. I’m in Canada- my package costed way more due to the dollar-too bad. But I worked for it and can’t travel right now - too bad they said-circumstances beyond my control- too bad. What could they do for me? I could rebook they said for next year. So I’m struggling- the pandemic has broken out -I’m forbidden to travel and I’m asking for a refund and I’m told the only way they can help me is if I spend more money to prebook a holiday that who knows if I can ever use ! Thanks RCI. You guys really need to review your policies. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

RCI response

Hi Dawna, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

RCI author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information