2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.65/5

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I have been an RCI member since 2004 and have exchanged my week in many places like FL, Mexico, Rhode Island, Maine etc. My family loves staying in vacation ownership units because you have a full kitchen, washer/dryer, and amenities.

Hi Greg,

We wanted to take a moment to say thank you for the kind words, and for being a loyal member for 16 years! We hope you have had some wonderful vacations during that time.

If you ever need help in the future please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Kind Regards,

Kathleen, RCI Social Media Care Team

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I have owned timeshare in Vermont since 1984 and raised my family taking at least one exchange per year. We have been to the Caribbean, Europe, Florida, Mexico, Costa Rica, Colorado etc.etc. Staying in resort condominiums has saved us unmeasurable money but more importantly created memorable experiences for my family. Sure the fees have gone up but so has the cost to renting a hotel room. We feel that the $209 exchange fee for an entire week vacation is a great deal! Thank you RCI for the memories!

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Just returned from a wonderful vacation in Newport RI. RCI set us up in a spacious 1 bedroom at the Newport Bay Club. Right in the middle of Newport Harbor with restaurants and shops nearby. The mansions were magnificent! Thanks RCI.

RCI response

Thank you for the kind words and we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your trip in Newport, Rhode Island - it truly is a beautiful place to visit!

Kind Regards,

Kathleen, RCI Social Care Team

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

We recently purchased a vacation ownership product in NH and signed up to exchange our week through RCI. It’s amazing how many places we can travel! We just booked a trip to Orlando for next year and all we have to pay is an exchange fee.

Resolution response: July 22, 2020

Well, A bad review nets a welcome response. Although one should not have to write a bad review for results, I am happy with the outcome. While I still believe that the Timeshare companies and RCI need better regulation. I am happy with the resolution at this time.

Original review: July 21, 2020

After reading all the negative reviews here, I am adding to the count. I have been a member for 20 years and finally learned how to use the points according to their "policy". I booked a week (Sep 12-19) in Cozumel and recently found out directly from the hotel that they are closed through Oct 15. I contacted RCI to switch to another hotel that is open and all they do is quote their "policy" from a script. They said I would lose my $239 exchange fee if I cancel instead of being helpful and switch me to the other hotel.

Now I had to confirm the other hotel and pay another $239 to make sure I had a room (Airlines already booked) and hope that they refund my exchange fee once they verify the hotel is actually closed. They actually do not refund your money, but offer a credit, which I lose if I don't use it, which is theft in my book). A little kindness and consideration would go a long way but the management of RCI hasn't taught Customer Service 101 yet. I am saddened and disappointed in the way RCI values the dollar more than their clients.

RCI response

Hi Conrad, we have responded to your Facebook PM. :) Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: July 15, 2020

I purchased a cruise certificate from RCI travel. I booked the cruise for Spring 2020 and the cruise was cancelled due to Covid. I asked RCI to refund my money as the purpose of the cruise was for my mother who has dementia to spend some time with the grandkids while she can remember it and now with Covid and not knowing when we will ever be able to go it just doesn’t make sense to have that money tied up. We have been RCI members since the 70s when my grandparents bought two weeks. RCI has made plenty of money off of us in the 50 years (that counts for nothing) of our ownership.

First of all trying to reach the correct department at RCI is very difficult. For sure you can never get in touch with the same person you had been speaking to. There is no manager to speak with so if your representative can not solve your issue then you are left with the option of sending a letter off to an address they reluctantly provide but without the name of anyone to address it to. 6 weeks later I received a call from a gentleman that said refunds are not an option. He gave me the choice of cancelling the certificate and losing my $4,000. Um NO! Or booking a cruise for me. Um NO!

Is anyone in their right mind getting on a cruise right now?! And with an elderly mother no less? I asked the gentleman if I could speak with his manager and his response was that he is the manager. Evidently he does not have a boss and he suggested that I resend my letter and hope that it reaches a different manager next time! WHAT?! This is customer service? I told him that RCI could learn a thing or two from Jet Blue. He thanked me for my advice and hung up the phone. So here I sit (still) frustrated and no resolve.

RCI response

Hi Kelly, I am very sorry for the frustration. I did receive your email and have forwarded it to a supervisor in our cruise area. Someone should be reaching out to you soon. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 11, 2020

My husband and I have use of RCI through another timeshare company, BlueGreen. We have been very happy with BlueGreen for over 20 years. We tried using RCI a number of years ago and the experience was awful so we just haven't used it since. We have been told repeatedly at our BlueGreen updates that RCI is much easier to work with now - they no longer keep your points if you can't find a resort you like. So... I logged onto the RCI site and first of all - they were using my old last name - a name that changed 17 years ago. We went through the entire legal process of changing my name on the deed, adding my new husband as an owner and removing my deceased step-father. RCI still had all the old information including an e-mail address long gone. I was told to call BlueGreen about it. They did accept the e-mail change because they did want to communicate with me.

I found a resort I liked, read through the description - noted it was a 3 star resort and booked it. 11,000 points and a $239.00 exchange fee. That's not cheap in the time-share world. I never got an e-mail confirmation from RCI but 2 days later - after the 24 hour cancellation time frame - I did get an e-mail saying there was an extra $29.95 a day "amenities fee" and they just wanted us to know that so we could plan for it. I had never heard of an amenities fee before. Parking fees - yes, always presented on the first page describing the resort. I e-mailed back and said I had never heard of these amenities fees - supposedly they were to use the pool and the exercise room - this is only a 3 star resort - and if we chose not to use the pool and the exercise room did we still have to pay that?. There was no answer.

I e-mailed 1 more time saying we were cancelling - I knew we were past the cancelation date but I had never received a confirmation e-mail to begin with. I finally called and was told the info regarding the fees was in bold RED LETTERS right in the resort description. That was an outright lie. I searched for any mention of those fees and they were mentioned on page 2 of the description, under fees, halfway through the list in the same font and color as everything else. Only if you read everything regarding that resort would you find the mention of the fees. It's almost like they didn't want you to find it knowing most people don't read everything.

The RCI representative originally said we would lose the exchange fee of 239.00 but would not lose the 11,000 points. She excused herself to make those changes and came back on the line to tell me we would lose all the points too. We were on vacation during this time in a place where the cell phone reception was spotty as was the internet. I finally called BlueGreen to discuss the entire issue and the woman from BlueGreen was nice enough, she got a representative from RCI on the phone but oddly enough, I never heard that person's voice. The BlueGreen rep kept switching back and forth from me to the RCI rep but I never actually talked to the RCI rep. A little strange.

The BlueGreen rep finally came on the line and said RCI would give us 8,500 points back but not the fee. I agreed to that. I never received a e-mail regarding the 8,500 points in RCI's account. RCI would not give the points back to BlurGreen - they stayed at RCI - I don't know how I am supposed to access them. Do they stay in red season or are they moved to blue or white? Do they exist at all given I never received an e-mail confirming this arrangement? I am now disputing the 239.00 fee through my credit card given the very poor service and lack of an initial confirmation e-mail that should have come right after the reservation was confirmed. I have been lied to by RCI - just like years ago and my 8,500 points are floating around somewhere at RCI if they do indeed exist.

At this point I want all 11,000 points back in my BlueGreen account. Some of our fees paid to BlueGreen every year go to maintain our account with RCI - I don't know if we can eliminate that or not. RCI - step up - look into this - under the correct last name and fix this. I promise never to bother RCI again but I want my points back in the BlueGreen account. My initial feelings regarding RCI are now stronger than ever. Eileen and Joe **

RCI response

Hi Eileen, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number so we can address your concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: July 4, 2020

My family and I have been members Of RCI since 2004. In the beginning it was great! Soon after the fees began to rise. We had 6 vacations booked for 2020 and 4 had to be cancelled thus far due to the pandemic! We have a credit of approximately $900 and after calling and trying to get help, we found out our credits will expire in December one in September and they are refusing to give us an extension even though the cancellations are due to the pandemic. Airlines worked with us to satisfaction but the company we were loyal to RCI did nothing!!

We strongly advise if you are thinking of joining the RCI FAMILY DON’T DO IT! Not only did they refuse to refund the money but they also refused to put any of the $900 towards future maintenance fees, hotel stays or anything other than vacations we are unsure about! We are expected to book 4 vacation within 6 months! We are truly considering walking away from RCI altogether! At a time when people have no jobs or income they refuse to refund our money!! If you are planning to do business with RCI I strongly advise you to think again! I am so disappointed in RCI!

RCI response

Hi Jennifer, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: June 27, 2020

We had booked out summer vacation with RCI since Jan 2020. Then Covid19 hits and the Canada-US border are closed. We held on and still hoped that we could go on our vacation. But things did not get better. Today I finally decided to cancel our booking. This is already such a huge disappointment. I was much much more disappointed that RCI will not refund our exchange fee. We were given a credit and we only have till December to use this credit. This is so ridiculous. First of all we are not canceling for the fun of it. These are unusual times, the border to US is still closed and we are forced to cancel. Even if we were able to go we will have to quarantine when we come back. We will not be able to quarantine when we come back due to work. My husband has to work outside of the home. We will not be able to use this credit by December.

This is hugely disappointing from RCI. Even during those harsh times they choose to withhold our money. We are already on reduced income. We have no choice here, we have to cancel the vacation. Your policy is unacceptable. All other companies our friends have booked with have issued them a full refund. If you cannot support your members in the most unprecedented times we have seen, shame on you. Disgusting.

RCI response

Hi Towhida, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. Please note, while the exchange fee coupon on your account is set to expire on 12/31/20, the vacation you book using it, can fall after that date. Feel free to email me at talktous@rci.com with questions. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: June 23, 2020

I been a member of RCI for nearly 40 years, they were great then, a lot of resorts to choose and you can apply your points to any air travel, cruise or car rental. I am a platinum member just because when booking airfare I like to use the max of my points. Today I want to book a flight and to my dismay RCI have stop booking airfare using your points and the only partnership is with the hotels, using just 2000 points per stay. They say it was posted on the website. Well what about an email notification? I am very disappointed with this company and their lack of communication. I am seriously thinking of terminating my membership and renting the unit directly.

RCI author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information