2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.77/5

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

Like most great companies, it all started with an idea. In 1974, Jon and Christel DeHaan set out to add greater value to the timeshare experience when they pioneered the vacation exchange concept. The DeHaans developed a system that allowed owners to exchange time at their home resort for a stay at a different affiliated property—delivering a new level of flexibility and choice to timeshare owners and revolutionizing an industry in the process.

Today, RCI remains the leader in vacation exchange, offering the world’s largest vacation exchange network and providing unrivaled products and services to enhance the vacation ownership experience. It’s one of the many reasons why more resorts trust RCI to deliver vacation exchange services to its subscribing members than any other company across the globe.

Through our core exchange programs, RCI Weeks®, RCI Points® , RCI helps its subscribing members take the vacations of their dreams and explore the world through access to over 4,300 affiliated resorts in 110 countries.* Members can also enjoy other great deals on rental opportunities, cruises and transportation, as well as a host of other travel and lifestyle benefits through the RCI Platinum® membership tier.

At RCI, we understand that no matter how busy life gets, you cherish the time you set aside each year to get away and create memories that will last a lifetime. We are so dedicated to delivering vacation memories that last a lifetime - Because your vacation means the world to us®.

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

We purchased a timeshare through RCI several years ago. It has been a constant source of changing rules, regulations, fees, hidden fees and last year (2020) two extremely POOR properties. We had 2 weeks booked for February/March 2021 which cost us, over and above the weeks we were using, $955.00. With the pandemic we ASSUMED they would be allowing changes. Apparently there are different rules for "Canada". They also say, "Contact Customer Service if you're unhappy". When we asked for the phone number for Customer Service we were told "oh, you can't talk to Customer service. Email them". Everything currently on their website about their Covid policies is suspect and changes depending on which agent you get on the phone. Basically they are a company to be avoided. And we will be ensuring all friends/associates are aware of our experience with RCI.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I purchased RCI years ago and have been accumulating points to use for my retirement. Their program to use points for airline bookings and rental cars was the number one reason I joined, as I rarely book one of their resorts. I retired earlier this year and have almost 3 million RCI points... but when I went to book a flight, I was told this policy had changed as of the beginning of 2020 and that points could no longer be used for either flights or rental cars. Now, I am feeling totally scammed. If they were to change policy like this, they should have given their members amply notice and at least honored the points which had already been accumulated.

RCI response

Hi Don, thank you for sharing your concerns. Because some RCI benefits are supported by outside vendors, and contracts can change or expire, our programs can also adjust over time. We’re sorry for any inconvenience or disappointment this has caused. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I have been an RCI member since 2015. Just like everyone else, we are adjusting to traveling during a global pandemic. We booked our trip from NJ to MA 2 months ago. MA has been a low risk state UNTIL TODAY. We were supposed to leave for our trip in 3 days but have to cancel because NJ requires you to quarantine for 2 weeks upon returning from a high risk state. Our jobs will require that we quarantine regardless of a negative COVID-19 test result. We cannot afford to take off an additional 2 weeks. I tried to explain this to the representative in hopes to get my points and $200 exchange fee back; however, the only solution I was given was to SPEND $129 to get a $200 credit. I pay a membership fee, use points, and pay a exchange fee whenever I book.

I was shocked that during a global pandemic the best solution they had for me was to spend more money for a credit. I asked to speak to a supervisor. The minute Ariana spoke on the phone, I knew it would be pointless. She already had an annoyed tone. She kept reading the same script that there was nothing they could do. RCI rather lose a customer than to give me my money and points back that I would use at a later time with them anyway. If they offered me $200 credit without charging me for it, I would accept it. But the way she handled it was so poor. No empathy or desire to resolve my problem whatsoever.

I would rate her a 0 if given the option. She wasn't even worthy of the 1. The need to cancel is out of our control. This public health crisis has been designated a global pandemic since March. This is the best policy RCI can come up with 8 months into this pandemic?? I truly do not want to do any further business with RCI. It's such a ripoff and disappointing handling of the situation!

RCI response

Hi L.L., we have responded to your email. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I'm a Hilton Grand Vacations owner and a transferred a large number of points to RCI for 2019. I couldn't use them so RCI said I could transfer them to 2020 for a fee, which I did. I was planning a few trips this year but when the Pandemic hit, most of the properties were closed until June/July. But the COVID-19 cases spiked around the country during this time so it wasn't possible to travel.

It's dangerous to travel right now as cases are spiking up around the country again. Furthermore, almost every state around the country, including those near my home state and in my home state, require travelers to quarantine for 14 days once you arrive at that state and then I would have to quarantine once I get back to my own state. How am I supposed to travel anywhere with these quarantine restrictions? I called RCI and also chatted with an agent to ask for them to extend my points into 2021 but they said that since I already extended my points once, they couldn't do it again, regardless of the Pandemic. So basically, I either have to travel and endanger me and my family or I lose the points. This is shameful and wrong!

I tried a few times asking the customer service reps in reservations and in my chat session, to please make an exception but they said they couldn't and "that not even a supervisor can help me". Shouldn't I get an opportunity to speak to that supervisor? Is RCI asking me to book a reservation with them and break states' quarantine rules? How is that helping this country get things back on track? What if one of us gets sick or if we get someone else sick? One agent said I could gift my points to a friend or family so they "could travel anywhere they want around the country". Really? Again, the quarantine rules apply to my friends and family too! Plus, those are MY points that I earned and paid for so no, I'm not gifting them to anyone nor risking someone getting COVID-19. RCI should simply extend my points into 2021.

RCI should be ashamed of themselves for not making an exception like so many other hotel reward programs are doing, including their partner Hilton Grand Vacations, who are extending points into 2021 for free and regardless if they are going to expire. These are not normal times so RCI should not act as if enforcing their policies right now are normal things to do. I'm trying to reach the local BBBs and someone in their corporate offices but I wanted to give others in my situation a heads up in case they're in the same situation.

RCI response

Hi Gee, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Thank you, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Resolution response: Oct. 13, 2020

Update. RCI stood by their word and processed my request to restore my Deposit Trading Power to the maximum value available for the deposit.

Andrew

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I bought my parents time-share they purchased in 1987 at Fairfield Glade a point system. I called Wyndham to pay the maintenance fee for 2021. They applied both payments to the same week. After I got the payment applied to the correct week, I called to have that week deposited. RCI said the trading value went down because I missed the deadline for full value. Wyndham can't help because they don't deal with the points. They just take the fees. RCI won't reinstate the point, unless I pay the ransom of $69.00! I did everything correct and RCI can't help without paying the ransom!

RCI response

Hi Andrew, we are working with you on this one via email. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

What a mess they have made out of my account, after hours upon hours on the phone with over 10 different representatives, not one can figure out why my account is on hold. They go through staff so often every time I call I have to start over. They don't respond to emails or calls. I lost out on my resort stay in Los Cabos, and a second in Cancun because they won't respond! I can't access my cruises so I guess I lost those too! What a disaster this experience has been...never again RCI!

RCI response

Hi Timothy, we're very sorry to hear this and would like the opportunity to investigate. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

RCI company is full of lies. Do not deal with them or any other timeshare company in the world. You will 100% regret it. It will cost you 10k to get out of a timeshare or your credit store will go down by 200 points for 7 to 10 years. Run Away.

RCI response

Hi Valentin, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property. If we can assist you with your exchange benefits through our program, please email us at talktous@rci.com. For questions/concerns about your ownership, please contact your home resort/vacation club. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

We have been members of RCI for over 10 years. Last year we purchased 5 travel packages as we had retired and planned on traveling, then Covid. Sunday I accessed the travel package page to book a premium cruise for 2, had technical difficulties and was not able to book. The certificate expired on 9/28. I called 9/29 to see about extending the expiration date as cruise lines are not booking now until January. I was transferred 7 times, told they could not help me, I should call corporate, another transfer, corporate transferred me back to travel packages who said they couldn't help me. I am very dissatisfied and frustrated and will never book a travel package with RCI again.

RCI response

Hi Mark, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Resolution response: Sept. 28, 2020

I appreciate the time the representative took to reach out and explain the timing of the deposits vs. RCI membership. She clearly demonstrated that customer satisfaction was more important. Thank you for the consideration.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

In 2017, I combined deposits for 2 years, then in 2019 I extended the combined deposit for one year. The deposit was set to expire August 2019, when you extended the new expiration date was August 2020. Unfortunately I did not realize this and did not receive any notification. The service rep's response was we are not in a position to waive the extension fee for all members’ expiring points or deposits. Really? In a pandemic? I have been a member for close to 10 years - really? So very disappointing. Dr. **.

RCI response

Hi Susan, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with your inquiry and be sure to include your RCI membership number. Thank you, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

We only have our RCI membership through another timeshare company affiliated with them that so far is easy to work with. We planned a trip to Ireland, Pre-pandemic, and had to reschedule the initial trip. We ended up needing to reschedule the the new date, again due to COVID restrictions. They did not have any lodging available for the new time frame in Ireland, but did through their 3rd party for hotels. Since we rescheduled twice, they refunded roughly half of the trip and gave us a coupon to utilize by the end of the year. The kicker is that coupon isn’t good towards the hotels because they are a 3rd party affiliate (even though it is under their name). We will not be able to utilize the coupon and they will not refund it so we can use it through their affiliate site.

When speaking to the supervisor by the name of Tyler, he was extremely rude, not letting myself or my husband complete a sentence to explain anything. He kept referring to their policies. When we had scheduled the trips the first and second time, nothing was mentioned of the pandemic cancellation policies. Per the policies listed at the bottom of the emails confirming trips, is completely opposite of their advice when I have called in. The closer you wait to cancel, the less refund you get. Every time we called to reschedule, they tell us to wait closer to the date of stay, which ultimately ensures that you are tied to their resorts. Especially during the pandemic when everything is so up in the air. Definitely do not recommend using RCI.

RCI response

Hi Tara, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Thank you, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

RCI author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information