2. Travel

1.3/5 (61 ratings)

About RCI

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

In June I purchased from RCI a vacation for my husband's birthday. He booked 3 tee times to play golf. The cost was a whopping $917 (non-refundable). A few days before the trip we saw that a major hurricane Ida was to enter the Gulf. In checking the Miramar Beach weather, it was evident that they were expecting severe thunderstorms. We decided to ask for an accommodation of either a refund, change of date or even a credit due to the fact that the first 4 days would be bad weather. Forgot about the fact that subsequent to Ida's landfall the are was included in several storm watches and warnings. They have blatantly refused to make any accommodations because they weren't forced to close!. No integrity, bad customer service. They should not be affiliated with RCI who is selling their product!

RCI response

Hi Brenda, I'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

We are to have someone assist us with our timeshare cancellation. We have been misled by this company and in doing our research, we have discovered we are not alone in this fight. FantaSea has lied to us from the moment we listened to the presentation. We have paid so much money to this company. My husband is retired and it is impossible to keep up with the maintenance fees. We weren't advised that they would go up so much. It is also becoming difficult to travel physically.

We have reached out to FantaSea with hopes of them working with us. We have gotten generic answers all basically telling us there is no way out. They tell us they are willing to help us book. That isn't what we are asking for. It seems like they aren't listening to us. We don't know where to turn at this point. We are exhausted by this whole process. We are reaching out to you to see if there is anything we can do from here. Please let us know how to proceed. We appreciate your time.

Kimberly & Harvey

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Not surprised the reviews for RCI are so bad. I have been a member since 2011. I was always able to search any date no matter the points I had left. I have 27 points and they expire January 2022. I am thinking of paying to extend expiration date, but RCI system will not let me search PAST January 31, 2022 because that's when points expire. Why? Why would I pay AHEAD if I don't know if there is a place we want to go to at our particular time frame? We have kids. Those with kids can't just pick up and go. We can only go next June or July, but looking for a specific place. I am not going to pay and then search, only to find out where we want to go is not even available. I called about this early in the week and the Rep said I should be able to do this and I'll get a call back because it's likely a glitch.

Not surprised I didn't get a call so I had to take time out to call again. This rep could care less. She told me they changed it and now you can't do this anymore. Why???? RCI is is probably not getting enough people to pay and extend, so this is their way around it. Right, RCI? Don't spend your time with RCI. Go with a different exchange company. This one is dishonest and doesn't care about their customers' complaints and these reviews prove it. Oh, and by the way, RCI, before you tell me to send you an email like you did to the rest of these people: I ALREADY DID. But, not holding my breath waiting for a call. But, when you are trying to sell me something, you are right there bothering me.

RCI response

Hi Maria, I'm sorry for the frustration. If I can help, feel free to email me at talktous@rci.com. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I spoke at length with a representative of RCI. I booked 5 weeks in Madeira Island for December 2021 until February 2022. I spoke to representative about having to arrange flights for this and it was recorded. It took me a couple of days for the travel agent to get back to me saying that flights were unavailable due to covid. I then called RCI to cancel the 5 weeks. During conversation with representative I asked about insurance and was advised to take it out. I did and paid extra for that. When I went to cancel the exchanges I was informed that they would be keeping 50% of the fees (All 5 weeks was a lot for me to lose) that the insurance I took out was only for the Trading Power.

I was also advised that it had to be used by the end of November 2021. Why do they take 50% and put it into their account and not return the other 50%to the unlucky customer.? It's not their policy! Someone talked about a class action suit earlier ... I think it's time we did this.. They are sitting with my money in their accounts and I like hundreds of other cannot use it and the inventory of RCI has reduced so much since I joined them in 1982. I am now 76 years old and feel they are taking advantage.! I have several conversations saved from Chat lines, they have copies on their computers as well. Rules are Rules however RCI have changed theirs to their customers' disadvantage. We need legal advice on how to get some satisfaction.

RCI response

Hi Marlenna, I am very sorry for all the frustration. Please email me at talktous@rci.com with your membership number so I can take a closer look at your situation. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

We are writing to discuss our options with getting out of our FantaSea timeshare ownership. We have gone down several avenues to get some type of relief. We have reached out to them and have gotten the run around. We aren’t sure where to turn from here. For a company to prey on people is sad. They do not advise of the maintenance fees increasing steadily. We can never use this as we were promised. It was all rainbows and butterflies during the presentation but what we actually got is nothing short of disaster.

We have been fighting with the timeshare asking for a release. We have been ignored and then given a generic message that didn’t address our concerns or requests. We traded in our weeks but could never find any resort we were interested in going to. So they take your money with a smile on their face, drain you dry, and you can’t even use the product you’re dishing out money for! We have tried to let our children use this timeshare and even paid extra to be able to book when we needed to an entire year out. Nothing ever became available. The only positive from that experience is that they refunded our money for that particular situation. This company is draining us financially and emotionally. We can no longer hold on to this burden. Is there someone we can speak to? Something we can do in this situation? We keep trying to find an out but we’re only running into dead ends. It is imperative that we be released from FantaSea’s grip. Please help us.

Respectfully,

Renée and Elliot

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Updated on 08/18/2021: Instead of reaching out by phone to talk about the review and complaint they are not acknowledging they want it in private and they are not responding as they should. They wasting people’s time. I have no no time to keep on writing review or email.

Original Review: My reservation for July14th to July 21st was a mess. They had me so stressed out. After 6 weeks of booking they couldn’t find my reservation. I wasted too much of my time on the phone trying to confirm my reservation and almost didn’t go anymore. Very disappointed in RCI and then I called today to make a booking and the representative sound like he wants to sleep. He he keep on telling me there is no availability and he is not responsible for any of the booking and he was trying to cut me off. I really want to sell my timeshare. It’s of no use to me or my family as you can see. I can’t use this and it’s a Waste of time and money. Please feel free to call me at ** and people please it’s better to pay out of pocket than sign up for timeshare and when you call to book they have only bad news and they can’t help but ripping you off.

RCI response

Hi Ramnauth, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com if we can be of assistance. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I've been with RCI for 15 years and have had terrible customer service throughout. I see their overall review rating is 1.5 stars so there is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. Someone keeps responding to the poor reviews asking people to contact them via email to address the concerns, however, clearly this makes zero difference. The last straw...charging the full yearly fee for membership during global pandemic lockdown. Shameless. Unacceptable.

RCI response

Hi Virginia, I'm sorry for the frustration with our exchange program. As a service based industry, we are not in a position to waive all our fees. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

We'd been members of RCI for over 25 years. We purchased timeshares when we were young and stupid and got duped into the sale. We found we could not easily trade our week for the same value or timeframe we wanted. Then RCI downgraded the value of our unit so that made it nearly impossible to trade. The maintenance fees kept going up. After a few years we were able to get rid of both timeshares.

Word to the wise-just don't. DO NOT BUY TIMESHARES. EVER. You will never get out of them (well you can, but it's expensive and can ruin your credit- for us it was worth it). We remained members of RCI so we could still find weeks to rent for cash. We've been able to do that a few times, but inventory is low, you can't cancel your reservation if plans change (you will lose your money) and with Airbnb there is no reason to own timeshares or pay RCI fees. Also, the RCI website has been glitchy and awful for...25 years. There is no redeeming quality in RCI.

RCI response

Hi Gail, we're sorry to hear of your negative experiences with us. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com if we can be of assistance. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

RCI really needs to work on communication amongst their own staff and the resorts they are servicing. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing...in the same room! I booked a vacation to Sedona Pines and made sure the lady from RCI notated that it was a service animal (because I have one). The damn woman put PET! RCI, according to ADA guidelines, service animals are medical equipment, not pets! Learn the laws. Secondly, RCI never send me a confirmation email after I requested a "free" upgrade to 2 room suite because we were "platinum" members.

I called Sedona Pines to confirm and the manager at the front desk said they not only put PET after I specifically told RCI it was a service animal but that no-one ever put the request in to begin with. Look man, I know the pandemic has been difficult but the last time I checked we all still spoke English. It gets better, when I called a third time to double confirm, the lady at RCI I spoke with couldn't even find my reservation, I had to get a manager involved for them to find it! RCI fix your communication issues, I will be putting in a complaint against you to the ADA as well as BBB.

RCI response

Hi Paul, please email us at talktous@rci.com with your concerns and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: July 30, 2021

During my vacations they offered me this credit card but it was pitched as a 2k loan, not a credit card. The application got rejected, in the rejection paper it said that if I wanted to try and continue with the application I should call a number, else nothing needed to be done. I didn't continue with the application and forgot about it. A few weeks later I got the credit card in the mail, I didn't even know why I was receiving it so I thought it was a mistake and just threw it away without even activate it. Later I started to get bills for around $40 every month, I called to explain everything and they told me that the account was closed and that I didn't have to pay for the bills. That was about a year ago and I still getting the bills which continue to increase every month, I have tried calling them but they just put me on hold for hours with no resolution. Do not open an account with RCI.

RCI response

Hi Teancum, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. The RCI® Elite Rewards® MasterCard® program is issued by Barclaycard US. RCI does not process applications for this card.

Please visit www.rcimastercard.com/RCI3 or call 1-866-463-0372 for more details.

Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

RCI author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information