1.18/5

Discover a great timeshare now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

611 RCI Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Booked our river cruise through RCI Platinum last August. Expected to hear about flight details 75 days in advance of planned travel. Paid extra $100 to customize travel. 73 days ahead still no information. Called Viking and they were sending updates to travel consultant at RCI. Called RCI and found out travel agent is no longer there. Was informed that when people leave RCI they can’t get email. Went back to Viking to get flight and hotel info and they did share it with me. Could not upgrade flight without voiding flight already booked. Asked to remove RCI from being involved in this transaction as they are not providing any value. RCI would charge me a fee of $186 to get out of the way, this on top of the $100 fee to customize flight that I could not customize. Makes no sense... Never using RCI again. Disappointed in service.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

We purchased this vacation package last year July 2018, and was promised points don't matter and we have saved enough to finally book our first vacation after purchasing what is suppose to only been a 3-4,000 buy in and will end up being 25,000 when paid off. We cannot even use it for a vacation due to I do not have enough points. This company will verbally tell you everything that sounds great but in reality it is a huge scam and you cannot take a vacation with this company. Your points expire in May and if you would want them to roll over you have to pay an extra few hundred to keep them one more year to average 30,000 points which still does not give a family of 5 a vacation package that will meet a family of 5 needs by the packages they offer. Stay away from this place. They will take your money and leave you hanging and laugh when you call about your points. You get screwed. Please please do not sign a contract with these people.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

We have been members since 2001. In the beginning it was good. No problems getting what we expected for the times and places we were looking at. In the past 5 years we have seen that RCI has only gone downhill in a big way. Product availability is scarce, exchange vacations for the points are the bottom end of the scale. Recently we were looking at a 2 bedroom in the south of Spain for Jun 1-8/19 with a trading # 19. We had 18 points in our account and only need to combine our current year to add the additional point to secure this unit. As we proceeded to put a hold on the 2 bedroom unit in Spain in which I was able to do, the unit somehow disappeared and was not available within the 2 min of putting it on hold or was no longer available for the 19 points.

I believe that RCI took the unit off the system as we noticed that other units of 1 bedroom or studios were up for the same amount of points... Hmmm! I wonder what happened? We are not impressed with the games that go on behind the system when we are paid up members and are not able to be able to obtain what we have basically booked or put on hold. To add further to this we pay a substantial fee of $355 CDN to exchange this in which my opinion is way to high for a simple exchange. This company does nothing to help and only ads insult by saying that the unit was taken by someone else. I believe they removed it from the exchange program and moved it to the extra vacations are which garners an $1000 for the week. This is fraud and unacceptable in my opinion. We will not be renewing our membership when it comes up in 2020.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I went to pay my Membership Renewal as I have every year for almost 20 years. The difference is that I did it online this time. After the initial screen which matched my paper statement, the payment screen showed an additional charge of close to the amount of my original bill. It was labeled “Renewal Fee”. When I called to ask what that charge was for, the first person had no idea. After being transferred to the actual billing department I was told it was because my membership had expired. I had two paper statements showing that my bill wasn’t due for another three weeks. Didn’t matter. I was told that I was informed in a letter SIX MONTHS prior that my membership expired at the end of the year.

Not a statement, a letter. With no due date, no renewal options, nothing. Because I hadn’t renewed before it expired, I had to pay almost as much money as the original bill in order to “unlock” my account to pay it! All the while, the only statement I had ever received showed a due date 3 weeks in the future. I’ve never seen anything like it. The worst part - I’d been paying this from the beginning (almost 20 years). The difference now is that something changed where they are required to break down the charges. CROOKED COMPANY!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

We have been RCI members since 1992. We have stayed in beautiful properties, we have no problem getting into resorts we like (mostly Mexico). I am so disappointed with the points system which RCI changed the week owners to without any input from us. Now if I have 8 points left from a booking I must pay to have it combined with another, it goes on and on. As a Canadian we pay $355 for an exchange, no matter how you do the math Canadians are being screwed. We are paid up until September 2021, after that we’re gone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have been a member of RCI since around 2000. They used to be a great exchange company but within the past couple of years have not been operating with their member's best interest in mind. They are slowly reducing their available inventory for exchange and dumping the units into their "extra vacations" where you have to rent the units that I believe were actual exchange units that owners deposited with RCI. My parents have been a member since the late '80s and just cancelled their membership this week. When my membership is up I will not renew and see what II has to offer.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My wife and I have been RCI members for many many years and for the most part had good experiences with our bookings and dealings, that however has changed recently for sure. The fees continue to rise, the service continues to go down and the lack of resorts available has become more than frustrating. If you can’t find any available resorts to use, you can extend the use years of your points, or should I say for a fee you can extend the use year of your points.

Mind you extending the points only works if you can find a resort to stay at, otherwise it just becomes a cash grab by RCI to gain income for effectively nothing.

Then there is the issue of finally finding a resort to stay at, paying the booking, exchange fees, points, etc. Only to find at a later date that the resort you were going to is undergoing a renovation, a pool or hot tub closure, etc. Thus not the vacation you were expecting to be taking. So you try to cancel and save the vacation time, only to find there is a loss of the booking and exchange fees and also a loss of some level of your points (unless you pay a fee!) more money for what you already are entitled to. Is there no truth in booking with RCI anymore? Anyway I could go on and on, so I will end with. Be aware of what you are involving yourselves in before you start, it will save you money and stress.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

They told us a bunch of crap at the initial meeting. Showed pictures of beautiful places but when you search for places to stay they are total dumps. If you try to use your points every place is so overpriced pointwise that you always have to pay out of pocket. It such a scam. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Never have units available, always asking you to pay more for points you can't even use, 10k a year, it's a joke. It's normally over 30K to be able to reserve anything. It's such a waste of $$ and not able to use the timeshare, I book all my travel from Expedia or Booking.com, they still have way better prices than RCI. What a disappointment of a timeshare. All beware of their scam.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

After I purchased RCI Club365 I realized it was a program with many deficiencies. Obviously the salespeople made it seem like a marvel, however I will tell you the truth below. Once you log in, you have a series of website links you can visit. It turns out, these website links are available to the general public (so what is the point in purchasing a $2000 membership???). Long story short, you can simply go to these "benefit" links by typing them directly in your URL address bar. There is no need to log in, there is no need to be a member. You can simply purchase directly from these web pages without a membership. I am surprised RCI has created such an incomplete product meant to deceive its clients.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My husband and I have been on RCI for years. The last few years we’ve noticed less available properties, and properties that are restricted to the number of times you can stay there, such as once every 3-5 years. This was new in their program. We stayed at a location in the Myrtle Beach area in May of 2018. We did sign-up for the 60 minute sales pitch so that we could get the dollars off for a restaurant we wanted to visit. The pitch was extremely high-pressure, even though the first thing we told the rep was that we would not be buying. We just wanted the certificates.

We were honest up front. More than 2 hrs later we were told - after about a dozen “nos” from us, that if we didn’t buy into the Wyndham Vacations club at approximately $40,000 that we would never see the best or even the better properties on the RCI site, as Wyndham owned the site now and saved the better/best properties for their Wyndham RCI members. The Wyndham rep then insulted my husband and I. We immediately stood up and started to leave. I have never been treated that way before and if they had even the smallest chance of us coming to Wyndham, they lost it then, and as soon as our current membership with RCI is up we will not be renewing. Bad companies, bad customer service all around. And, the restaurant certificates were unusable unless you bought the maximum meal/dinner plan at the Restaurant. All around waste of a beautiful morning.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We were on a trade from RCI. The resort was OK. Not many amenities for our taste. Pools were small and shallow. Most of the staff was very pleasant and accommodating. What I can confirm, in reading other reviews, is that there is a high pressure sales component and the individual we had a meeting with, after over 2 hours (was supposed to be 90 minutes) was visibly upset we did not purchase their deal. I can confirm there was no contract presented, actually nothing on paper documenting what they promised and they PROMISED a lot. I asked for documentation or to review a contract but was refused. Ding, ding, ding - DANGER WILL ROBINSON!! If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! I am not happy with RCI but at least they are upfront with their fees and restrictions.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

As you may know, RCI launched Club365 in 2017. The actual club website is here: www.theclub365.com. You will pay around $2,000+ USD to purchase access into this club. After logging in, you will notice the scam I fell for. This website is simply a collection of website links. Links which you can access directly without even having to log in or purchase the program!!! Most people won't notice this immediately, because they are not computer savvy as I am.

Here is an example: When you click on PREFERRED STAYS, you will be redirected here: https://www.mywebrez.com/preferred. When you click on GETAWAY STAYS, you will be redirected here: https://www.mywebrez.com/getaway. Please try going to these links directly and you will see you can purchase directly on these links without having to buy Club365. As an outsider, you get the EXACT SAME benefits as a paying member. RCI is desperate for business and launched a website intended to defraud customers for a quick buck.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We stayed at Tahiti Village in Las Vegas. Attended what was to be a 90 minute seminar. We were lied to by the agent and her manager. First, we were told the timeshare was all up and down the California coast, it's not. Second we were made to believe that we were paying a 1 time payment upfront, not the case. Third we purchased 15K points for 1 year. Very slim pickings with just 15K points, maybe 1-2 properties. Most require 30K points. Lastly, the availability of the properties are horrible. Something I asked upfront because I was a 1000 Trails owner and ran into the same issue. We've had this membership for over a year now and continue to pay and have NEVER been able to use it. Save your money and take your trip yourself. DO NOT USE RCI.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I traveled with my younger son to Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata. He had heart surgery a few years ago, and we just found out that he has to have another surgery soon. So, my loving older son (which this crap belongs to) suggested that we go to Puerto Plata to relax...didn't happen, from unwanted tours - to changing our "room" 3 different times, is not relaxing. First room air conditioner was not working correctly. We had water literally all over the floor, and it was freezing! The next room, the toilet overflowed and was stopped up, not to mention with fecal matter, the next room the shower was not working properly, etc. I mentioned room in quotations because "we" were told we would be in a villa!

Also we are vegans, so eating was a challenge, the food at best was just ok... Our original check in was December 17th, because we missed our connection in Miami, and had to stay in a Marriott suites. This was the best part of our vacation, that room by comparison was way better! Finally, the pics, etc look nothing like the resort. I think it's a case of "bait and switch". I really think a member from RCI should visit this so call resort in person to see. And even other guests were complaining, saying they could not wait to get home!

Lastly, it's not a good idea to force guests to take the Liberty whatever tour, because it really clarifies and sets the tone of how crappy our room really was... How are you trying to get me to purchase more, when what my son has is a Hott mess! Bottom line, me and my son went down to relax, none of that happened! My son was stressed the whole time, did not want to leave the room. I think my older son paid for better accommodations, but we got the worse... SMH.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I booked a timeshare unit online in New Bern NC on September 17th. I was charged $205.00 for the booking. Hurricane Florence had already flooded this unit two days prior to the booking but this fact was not disclosed at the time of the transaction. RCI would not return my money citing a 'policy' that referred to a natural disaster. That policy was intended for units booked weeks or months ahead of the disaster NOT for booking a unit that had already been flooded and was not really available. I was given a 30 day window to rebook at another resort but since my home was also flooded it was impossible for me to 'take a vacation' during the allotted time. RCI refused to return my money, credit it to my account, or extend the window of time for rebooking. Basically I was sold a 'pig in a poke.'

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We went to the Grandview Hotel on a presentation and ended up buying a 11,000 time share. We were so lied too! The sales woman and all of her managers including the lady that had us sign all the papers were so certain that we were going to love this purchase. They told us lies and more lies and everything we wanted to hear. We paid our down payment at the sales meeting where I was given my sales woman's phone number to call her with any needs. Then came home and refinanced at my local bank to pay off the mortgage in full. Before we paid it off the sales team answered my text and calls. She was very nice. Then take a guess, after the mortgage was paid in full NO ONE will talk to me.

I have tried to call the reservation number and nothing we were told is an option. They have no idea what we were promised. I was even hung up on when I talked to one of the managers and I was upset that we had been taken for a ride and lied to to buy this timeshare. He said, "You signed the contract and basically it is your problem." We are just middle class working people. Worst mistake of my life and now we are stuck to pay 300.00 a year in fees. Do not do business with this company. They are a bunch of lying thugs that will tell you anything until they get you to sign a bunch of papers you don't understand! Oh and by the way they never told us we had 7 days to change our mind but it was in the contract just so you know.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Impossible to book dates. Impossible and awkward system. Our prime week and 3 bedroom condo was magically changed to a week in Oct and a 2 bedroom condo. Thousands and thousands of dollars for nothing. We have had this RCI membership 1998. Keep thinking we will use it when we retire, when we have nothing but time to fiddle with scheduling a vacation 2-3 years out or figuring out points and weeks and membership fees.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

We have been with RCI for almost 28 years since we first purchased our timeshare in the Canary Islands. Overall our experience with RCI has been okay when it has been used on our terms. I am also a travel consultant (for the past 10 years) so I know a travel deal when one is on the table. Now to be fair/transparent we use our weeks typically by exchanging them for weeks elsewhere. And I know which resorts are in high demand and which ones are not. Plus when to go, for example, we just used 3 banked weeks for a group of 9 people to the Hilton Grand Vacations in Vegas first week of December.

But we had booked the three units 2- two and 1x one bedroom in November 2017 a little over a year ago. And the units and property was idea and value for money (exchange fees) excellent when split between 9 people. The property was bang in the middle of the strip. If you receive one of their calls when you return from an exchange about a fabulous Travel package which includes a cruise and a week at a resort and what seems to be endless credits. Beware or at least understand the small prints. For example, the latest calls talk about air credit for $1600. Beware as the cruise accommodation is an inside cabin and depending upon cruise line you may end shelling out more money. Especially if you are a balcony individual. Air Credit will be in the cheapest economy category and again you may find added charges.

So my review is more about educating consumers just be careful when purchasing one of these what seems to be an excellent vacation package deals. Enter into that deal, knowing that you will be locked in. You won't be able to get any help from the Cruise line in question, especially if the cruise line offers additional promotions like Onboard credits or drink packages etc.

Ask the RCI sales person selling you the package, what category of stateroom on the ship it covers, what cruise dates it covers. Ie does it cover the holiday sailings? And for the airfare what class of airfare can it be used against. We have chosen to decline as we are picky on when we go and also stateroom category, resorts and class of air. Otherwise - RCI is okay if you "work the system" and book well ahead of time.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

We have been an owner since 2009. The maintenance fees have been steadily going up. In the past for years they have increased by 26%. It’s cheaper to book a week's stay if I were not an owner! So take in this price type of price gouging before buying!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I don't even know where to start. But I am so glad I found you guys to vent to! When we bought our timeshare in St. Thomas in 93, RCI was so accommodating. No problem trading to Hawaii (due to a hurricane) it was on a trade week system not points. The past 10 years have been challenging and although we have stayed at some really nice properties, as of today, we actually have to cancel our vacation because they have absolutely nothing, and don't give me this "You waited too long to book", never happened before. When you mention how the RCI participating properties have decreased (just look at the skinny book we are now sent compared to the ones we use to receive) they say, "We have so many more customers". Really? Not according to the numerous complaints I've read on different sites.

Seriously, just had an agent say this today. If you want to be on a standby, or extend a search, you have to pay, go over your points for the year (even though you have enough) you have to pay. Want to combine the weeks, you have to pay. Want to cruise or go to an all inclusive? End up paying more than you would through a travel agent or travel site plus pay your transfer fees to RCI. Crazy! So what can we do? My advice to potential timeshare owners... first of all don't buy one, but if you do, make sure it's somewhere you want to go again and again because joining and trading through RCI is a big mistake you will regret.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

They tell you whatever to get you to sign up and then you're stuck. Read ALL FINE PRINT, before you sign anything. No matter what they tell you. If I could give 0 stars, I would. It is difficult to receive assistance when you actually have a problem. I was told MANY lies when I joined the membership. The representatives in customer care are doing nothing to resolve my issues and are not empathetic towards me about the lousy service I received or the lies I was told. I was told I am unable to cancel this membership and they threatened to put membership fee dues on my credit when I ask to cancel.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Stay away. We purchased a timeshare from TLC (tied to RCI) in Orlando during a presentation. To sign up for the timeshare, we were given 3 "free" coupons (a 7 nights cruise, 2 days las Vegas and a free trip to a destination in US). All of which, when we tried to claim - weren't free. We were told to pay upfront and plus plus charges and were forced to upgrade, if we wanted to use it, etc. Secondly, during the presentation, we were shown a website of RCI and their resorts worldwide. Wow. We signed up right away. Big mistake. A 5000$ mistake. The timeshare comes with 10,000 points a year which when we tried to redeem - they were trying to upsell all the time.

Whatever place we wanted to book was "unavailable". When you tried to exchange the points in the RCI website - nothing was available. By this point we felt something was fishy. We got calls after calls from RCI trying to sell us more vacations at "member prices". So, end result = we lost 5000$. This is called institutionalized cheating. These companies thrive in America! What does this say about the country?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Let me start off with how my husband and I came across Wyndham timeshare etc. We were in Vegas for a couple of days so as we walked around and were suddenly approached by a "motivated" yappy, con-man from Wyndham Resorts. Yes, I know what you're thinking now, we should have seen all the RED FLAGS as soon as we set eyes on this guy's pathetic persistence to get us to see a presentation at Wyndham. We should have known that anyone who entices you to make a deal on the spot is a fraud. They are the fast talkers, the manipulators, and the conmen who have no soul. The ones who are strikingly similar to a chameleon.

I am writing this review to warn honest, hard-working people out there so you can be informed about what type of scams are promoted in our country and are under the guise of an "investment". One thing is clear, this offer that Wyndham presents is not an investment; it does not gain any value whatsoever, but they will LIE to your face and say that it does gain value. Please do not fall victim to this type of scam unless you are willing to pay maintenance fees every month in addition to the high costs of the timeshare "ownership".

WARNING: You do not own anything that has any value because you cannot sell it back to the resort, even if you pay off the entire purchase price and are in good standing with the company! Wyndham is a FRAUD and should be sued for misleading people. Clearly, this is not an investment that will give you an ROI back! NOTE: If I could sue this company, I would in a heartbeat. In fact, if there are any reputable lawyers out there who are willing to take on the case, then please let me know. Wyndham needs to take accountability for their actions, and all those who paid their "ownership" in full should be able to redeem their money back, especially when you are LIED to.

So, YES, I refer to this company (there are more out there) as a SCAM. The representatives LIE and are highly unethical. They are full of crap and should be sued for misrepresentation of their company's offers and how they scam people into bottomless contracts. We paid a lot of money for this CRAP, and now they won't even let us get our hard-earned money back, let alone even a portion of it! We don't even use the timeshare because they never have any availability when and if we do even travel. How ** if you ask me. This is criminal. Any American citizen should have the right to get their money back from wrongful sellers who lie to make a profit.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Called and spoke to individual - she was supposed to send info re Alaska cruise. Not responding. Emailed customer service - not responding. This has happened before. Not a very responsible organization. How do you get them to cooperate?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

RCI does nothing to make the customer happy. A few weeks ago, they tried telling us that our deposit was never done. It took about 5 phone calls to RCI and our home resort and it was our home resort that realized we did deposit it, we had combined weeks. I kept getting emails from RCI telling us it was never deposited. Very unprofessional company and never does anything to accommodate the customer.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been an RCI member for many years. I have had positive experiences with them in the past, but the last few years, the company has many scams going on. When you look for a vacation resort on their website, there is never anything available in your timeframe, but miraculously when you get an agent on the line, lo and behold there just so happens to be one available. The problem is, it is a run down, $50 per night hotel room quite far from the destination you are requesting. Meanwhile, I deposited a $900 value, 2 bedroom unit in a highly sought after vacation destination and the agent is frustrated and doesn't understand why I don't want to waste my $900 value exchange on a run down hotel I can book on Hotels.com for $50 a night.

My last resort I checked into in Florida was so dirty and run down, I checked out early. 3. They have a gotcha on everything. Combine weeks, points, extend, trade, all fees that mount on top of your membership fees. Adding hundreds of dollars to your vacation value that you are probably never going to recoup. This is so disappointing for the timeshare industry. I now find I just keep my unit and visit my home resort each year to at least get my monies worth.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

My wife and I took my parents on an Alaskan cruise. The flight RCI had booked us on was canceled. RCI did not notify us of the cancellation. They did nothing to fix the problem and we spent one night in the airport in Seattle. I had to purchase four new tickets from another airline that cost an additional $4700. RCI will not accept any of the responsibility. Instead they are blaming it all on me. Do absolutely nothing with RCI. They are the biggest joke ever!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

RCI requires you to deposit your time sharing vacation week BEFORE you can search for what is available to exchange. Once deposited, you can not get your week back. The problem is that almost nothing is available for popular places and times of the year. Consequently, it is very likely that you will deposit your week and be left with nowhere to go. In addition, RCI has a formula that calculates what your week is worth for an exchange - they call it "trading power" and it's based on demand for your unit and number of people it will sleep. If your unit isn't worth at least as much as the unit you want to exchange, you're out of luck. This means that even if you got incredibly lucky and found a place you wanted to go, you still might not be able to do the exchange. RCI is a high risk proposition and a formula for disappointment.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

RCI has devalued my week because I did not convert from the weeks' program to the point system. In order to receive previous benefits I had to become a Platinum Member... But the Platinum membership has done nothing for me, For the past 2 yrs I cannot get an internal exchange at my own resort, or in New Hampshire. When someone deposits a week, RCI can get more $ from rentals than from exchanges. This should be illegal. What I have decided to do is put my week into the rental program at my resort, when I am not using, and letting my RCI membership expire!!!!

RCI expert review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

• Best for: Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property, travelers with a favorite vacation destination and young professionals with disposable income.

Profile picture of Lisa Ann Schreier
    Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information