2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.68/5

Princess Cruises Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Princess Cruises?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Princess Cruises?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

So disappointed. Was told by agent that this would be top notch cruise. I did not find that to be the case. The one positive thing was the excursion to Hubbard Glacier and the cruise staff was great.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

My wife has food allergies. The galley was attentive and prepared a special menu daily for her that contained multiple choices for her to choose from, plus a special dessert every evening. The crew were all very helpful and made our experience very enjoyable. There were continual activities to keep us entertained as well as turn down service each night when we returned to our stateroom.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

It started in the first half hour we were there. The bursar called and said we couldn't charge anything on the ship and needed to give them cash if we needed to buy anything on the ship. My wife left her card in a hotel in Florida and they took it upon themselves to have it canceled. That's why our credit card wouldn't work and the bursar refused to take our debit card. The bursar let us call our credit card company on their satellite phone only he had to dial the number because he didn't trust us.

Our credit card company offered to give us a new number, but the bursar said he needed a hard copy. Then what was the phone call for? What did they expect the credit card company to do? They wouldn't budge and we had to use almost all the cash we had on the ship. They ruined our vacation because of making us use all our cash. We complained to Princess customer support when we got home by letter, but they wouldn't respond. We never traveled Princess again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

We went on an Alaskan cruise with a land portion after cruise. Every part of it was spectacular. Cabins were great so was the food. They are so organized and everything runs so smoothly. The hotels they provided after cruise were stunning. They had two tours provided for the land part that were included which were awesome. All the tours we could do at port were super and they had something for everyone. They have laundry facilities on the ship also. I have taken two other cruises and this one was the best.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

It was more than I imagined it to be. The entertainment and food in the restaurants were fabulous. We did not like the buffet though. Tried it once and never went back. By the time you got your food and sat down, your food was cold. Paid extra for the CC class and well worth it.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

The cruise itself to Alaska was amazing, we did the 10 days cruise to Alaska from San Francisco, with 2 kids and cousins from Australia. The Australian took some times to get in at the port of entry as the woman who process them doesn't know about the visas requirements for non U.S. The food from the Horizon was disappointing, compared to Carnival Cruise line. For the kids...not much activities for them, except to be at the Discovery and play with their friends, most of the time they were at the pool. The unexpected surprise was the telephone charges I got, as T-mobile has coverage in Canada, I received calls and was able to call at the port and in Canada to my husband and son who were walking ahead of us, I was charged like I was doing the calls at the sea and it's I think $4.99/min. Outrageous!!! Considering while we are at sea, we don't even have signal to make any calls. BETTER WATCH OUT.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Was a great experience. The shore excursions were all quite enjoyable. Staff was top notch in attending to our needs. When something was not quite right they always went above and beyond to correct the situation.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

We went to Alaska and the staff was incredible. The cruise director was superb, just full of energy. There were plenty of things to do and see on the ship - shows, music, dancing, speakers. It was our first cruise and hopefully not our last. We hope to go again. We were treated like royalty and the workers were all wonderful. We also met incredible people who were traveling. A-1 all the way around.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I have taken many cruises with Princess Cruise Line. I need another short cruise of 7 days minimum and I will be Elite. I have enjoyed the many cruises I took with Princess because they do their utmost to give everyone a super holiday. The evening shows are Vegas style. They always present the best performers available. All shows are well attended and sometimes they even present an extra show for complete attendance, The evening activities are fun and involve the audience most of the time for best results.

The food is well prepared and very tasty.. On one trip our server asked if we wanted a special dish that the kitchen did not serve. He assured us he would prepare any dish we wished to have, and he certainly did. Those little specials do make a big difference to all all us. They were not afraid to go the extra mile to give satisfaction. We were assigned to a local to be used to play bridge. A game we really liked. The excursions were organized in an orderly fashion, we all knew where to assemble and when to leave and when to be back so that we would not be looking at the back end of the bus at the end of the day.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Been cruising with Princess each of the last 10 years. Princess goes above and beyond with customer service, value and variety of destinations. Everybody from cabin steward, waiters, bartenders, directors to supervisors make you feel welcome. Our cabin stewards always learn your name and are quick to greet you when passing in hallway.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Excellent service. Friendly, happy, helpful staff. Clean ships. Great food, numerous options. They continues to follow up with passengers. I like that the ship caters to people 40 and over with very few children aboard, although they invite children and do cater to them as well. I would always recommend this cruise line.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Our Princess cruise was such a wonderful experience! Seeing so many places yet remaining in the comfort of our own beautiful room was amazing! The room was pristine and we loved our private balcony! Food and staff were both excellent!

Original review: July 30, 2019

Wonderful cruise line, esp. for older people. Good food, adequate amenities, good variety of food stations. Evening meal also excellent. Good shows. Caring staff, friendly shipmates. Just a wonderful cruise line.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Princess Cruise Lines, (which has begun their new* 'Medallion Cruises') has been 'our' Cruise Lines for years, even sailing their Hawaiian Cruise from L.A.! We just do NOT understand all the hooplah surrounding their "Medallion Program". If anything, it created confusion within the first hour of attempting to board the ship, The *Caribbean Princess*.

It seemed we were checked several times, making our way towards the ship, being checked by so many people with computers and abilities to pull our photos (mailed to Princess prior to the cruise), yet, the fellow standing on the deck we were boarding, was holding up the line because, as he stated "I decide who comes on board, no one else. If I don't like your pictures, you MUST have others taken". Of course, no officers or even a Supervisor was present to hear this guy's reasoning why he would NOT allow us to board the ship! We did complain to the ship's guest services, but not one person has ever spoken to us about this, however our cruise experience declined rapidly. What is it 'they' say? First Impressions stick with the guests!

Original review: July 29, 2019

Princess is a cheap cruise line. It’s a small city. I felt pressured to buy stuff from their shops and at other venues. I could not bring my own alcoholic beverages on board without paying a penalty. The ship was attractive and there were some fun music venues. The state rooms were adequate. The stops at port were minimal. My impression was that the cruise line really wanted you to stay on board to spend more money.

Original review: July 29, 2019

We enjoyed both Princess cruises we did. One was Alaska and one was the Mexican Riviera. Lots of onboard activities and off ship excursions to do. Crew was good - a few at the desk that were a little brisk but overall a great time.

Original review: July 28, 2019

I have been fortunate to cruise on Princess multiple times. Princess is truly the Princess of all cruise lines. The cruise staff make you feel like a Princess, responding to every concern you have. They go out of their way to make it an elegant experience from the service in your room to the elegant dining. The Spa experience truly pampers you. The destinations are great with port cities that are truly gems to visit. I recommend the Princess experience highly!

Original review: July 27, 2019

I have disability and use a motorized scooter. Princess does not offer many excursions for those who use mobility devices. Customer service on the cruise line is in need of some help. The last time we were on their ship our laundry was damaged and we had to fight with them to get money back for the damaged clothing. It should not be that difficult to get reimbursed for something they ruined.

Original review: July 26, 2019

The Princess hotel facilities in Denali disappointed in quality of food. A filet mignon steak Oscar was tough, full of gristle, and untrimmed of fat. Less than half of it was edible, the server offered no remedy. The entire time we were in the room the message light blinked, very annoying. Several calls to the front desk did not resolve the problem. The prices on the train to Denali were a shock....$6 for a half-bag of semi-stale popcorn. The ship was very nice and clean, however, the Eggs Benedict were cold (not warm), the fruit served was often unripe. Coffee was often unavailable via the servers. The dinners were pleasant and service was excellent. The room attendant was very efficient and accommodating. The constant barrage and upsell of jewelry and spa services became very annoying before the cruise ended.

Together with the other products (cameras, photos, clothing, art, spa products) we felt that almost all of our waking hours contained an imposition by some sales person on our time to enjoy the ship and scenery....too much! Since we have returned home, we found that the fine jewelry, camera, and art prices are very inflated. We learned to be very cautious when we left the ship for visits to the small towns and villages. The hustle continued there when we were identified as Princess passengers. On the day we were in Glacier Bay, the TV in our room did not work, therefore we missed the presentation by the Ranger, which we were looking forward to. The TV was eventually fixed, but after the presentation concluded. The cabin walls were very thin, conversations and TV and music and toilets flushing and showers from adjoining rooms were regularly audible from our room.

As we watched champagne glasses being stacked in an awesome display used during a major function in the main foyer of the ship, we couldn't help but notice the bare hands used to meticulously place each glass in its proper place were often placed inside the glasses after a handshake with another employee, or being used to brush their hair back into place, or being wiped on their clothing. It seemed that this is not a hygienic procedure.

Original review: July 24, 2019

We sailed on the 6/16/2019 - 6/23/2019 Alaskan cruise on the Star Princess and it was one of the most horrible cruising experiences we had encountered. We wanted to celebrate our anniversary and my son’s honeymoon on your Princess Cruise and booked three cabins. We booked an Alaskan cruise specifically to see the glaciers and to visit BC Canada.

First of all, we were up and on the deck at 5am (per the itinerary) so that we could see the glaciers while passing through Tracy Arm. After about a half an hour to an hour later we were told that we would not be able to pass through Tracy Arm and that we were going to Endicott instead. As for attempting to see glaciers at Endicott we were told that if we looked through binoculars we could see the tip of a glacier. Needless to say we did not get to see any glaciers on this cruise.

During the cruise, our toilets backed up twice. The first time it occurred we waited until the morning and they were able to clear it by flushing the line. According to some other cruise passengers they also had the same problem. The next day the same problem occurred and a maintenance worker was sent to our cabin and again had to flush the main line. My son’s and daughter’s cabins experienced the same toilet issues as did the other passengers along our corridor.

Also, during the cruise there was a leak in the ceiling of my daughter’s cabin which occurred around 4:30 am which caused them to wake up to a wet bed and blankets. Given the multiple situations we had with the toilets we were understandably concerned that it might have been associated with the sewer line issue but was assured that it was not a sewer line leak but was a ventilation leak.

Because my husband and I were celebrating our anniversary we received two gift cards in our mail slot outside our cabin door. One was for $25 to spend in the princess shops and one was for $50 towards a spa treatment on port days. While we were unable to use the spa gift card we did use the $25 gift card at your Vines Novelties gift shop. The salesclerk said that he needed to keep the gift card so that our stateroom account could be credited and stapled the gift card to his copy of the receipt.

At the end of our cruise we noticed that the gift card was not credited to our stateroom so I called the customer service desk and told them the problem. They told me that they did not have any record of any gift card but that they do show the charges made at the Vines Novelties shop. They asked me if I had the gift card and I informed them that the salesclerk said that he needed to submit it so that our stateroom could be credited and that he had the gift card. They told me that because they do not reflect anything in their system they are unable to credit it. The gift cards actually had our names printed on it our cabin number and “Congratulations”.

As if all of the above was not enough to make this a terrible cruise, as we approached BC Canada we were informed that we would not be porting in BC Canada and would just anchor in place! So during this Alaskan cruise with Princess we were not able to see any glaciers (Albeit if we looked through a pair of binoculars we may be able to see the tip of one); the toilets backed up twice; there was a ceiling leak in my daughter’s room; we were provided a gift certificate which was ultimately not honored; and we were not able to port in BC Canada! Basically, the two main ports (attractions) associated with this cruise which were also the two main reasons for choosing this cruise were not provided for along with the other substantial frustrations mentioned above.

I contacted Princess Cruise lines on 6/28/2019 regarding this horrible experience. They informed me that they will research the matter and a customer service representative would contact me soon. We finally heard back from a customer service representative from Princess Cruise line and she said that not docking at the ports is something covered in our contract. Leaking toilets I guess are also common for their ships as well. I guess this is indicative of the type of service you can expect from Princess Cruises! My family loves cruises but we will be choosing a different cruise line for our future cruises!

Original review: July 22, 2019

All - Avoid the Caribbean Princess! The staff is the most unhappy, unfriendly, negative group of cruise workers I have ever encountered. We booked 4 state rooms. One with a balcony. That room was booked for four people. No one advised the 4th bed would be a COT that took up all the floor room. We paid over $3600 for this room for a cot! There was no room to even walk. The room steward was so mean. My mom needs assistance and uses a luggy portable wheel chair. He was so very rude to her all week. The food was not great. Our head waiter was terrible. He messed up our order every night!!!

Never learned our names or types of drinks we prefer and forget ordering anything extra! It was awful. Usually the best part of a cruise is the friendly staff that feels like family. NOT the case on Caribbean Princess. The staff are all very unhappy people. Princess is obviously more concerned about paying back millions of illegal fines than the happiness of their guests. What a shame to pay close to 10k for a miserable vacation. Never AGAIN! I work in the industry, my sister works for the largest airline in the world and we will tell everyone to STAY AWAY FROM PRINCESS!!!!

Original review: June 21, 2019

In 2012 we sailed a back to back cruise of the Scandinavian countries on Princess. I am disabled with numerous disabilities. During the day at sea, I had to visit the doctor because of chest pains, my angina was acting up, but I was not sure it was only angina. Made it through the day. During the day I went through the charges, and had questions. Did not act on seeking the answers immediately. At midnight I woke from laying flat with chest pains, went to sick bay, and rang the intercom, and the crew member told me that I had to wait until morning. I was not given any consideration for my chest pains, most likely because I answered the sickbay crew members question concerning how bad the pain, that it may be angina.

I then went to the front desk. Requested to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor refused to acknowledge me, saying to the desk clerk that I would have to wait for morning. I was upset with the supervisor refusal to speak with me. To end the story, the manager of the front desk wrote a report that was filled with lies. This was the time that Carnival was taking over and every manager of various departments were unsure of their jobs and how the work environment would be. Looking at various reviews, Princess is clearly not Carnival's love child and all management personnel reflect poor moral.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Nice 7 day cruise to Alaska, stateroom and steward was excellent. The Horizon food courts was disappointing cafeteria food at best, food lacked flavor and variety. Some strange combination of foods. Breakfast was always good, lunch and dinner did not meet our expectations! Most of our excursions were great, getting off the ship was easy. Would have preferred more time in the Ports of Juneau, Victoria and Ketchikan. We booked 7 excursions, 2 in Juneau, 2 in Skagway, 1 in Ketchikan, 1 in Victoria and 1 in Seattle. Took the Kroschel Wildlife Refuge excursion in Skagway (SGY-370) VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!

This excursion was a joke, like a backyard zoo, with 2 non-professionals running the show! Do not waste your money on this one, I don’t know how Animal Planet and Princess Cruise-lines could sponsor this excursion? The Alaska Cruise is a great experience and the Prince Cruise Line does a good job of getting you there and back!

Original review: June 9, 2019

All disembarkments were unorganized. Very chaotic, food is for Asian people or Arabs. Not much American food, food service staff for drinks horrible. Room staff great. Went to Alaska for 7 days from Seattle to Juneau to Skagway to Ketchikan inside passage. Views unbelievable. Prettiest part of the 49 states I have seen.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Very good check in, embarkation and disembarkation procedures followed. Room sizes and layout great. Staff vets polite and efficient. The following points are a rip off:

1. All beverages including water have to be bought. Water is offered in glasses during meals and fruit juices (for breakfast) and iced tea (for lunch and dinner) in the dining areas. Water for the rooms have to be bought at $3.95 + 18% GST per litre!
2. When you are sold a soda and beverage package at $7.99 per day (compulsory for 11 days), you are told that it is unlimited but then when you try to get drinks you are told that you can only get 1 drink at a time, you cannot get water and you cannot get it in room service!

3. If you read the small print properly, you can see that we should add a separate gratuity to each cheque. Then my question is why are they charging us $13.5 to $15 per person per day as compulsory gratuity? Where is that money going?

Original review: June 6, 2019

Several concerns about this cruise and their staff. The Princess Cruises staff placed in each cabin a flyer stating that for $7 per person per day, you may purchase soft drinks, juices, etc. package. I went tonight to buy it for my 3 kids. I was told that, "Starting today, it is $9.99 + tax per person per day." I showed them their Princess Cruises ship paper that stated it was $7 per day per person. THEY ARE REFUSING TO HONOR THEIR FLYER!! I have spoken with 2 staff, 1 jr supervisor, and 1 manager. They are not willing to budge. They even said other passengers are upset about this as well. That's about $251.79 for kids drinks and they do not drink sodas, only juice. We are now in the process of demanding a refund for this blatantly obvious bait and switch. The $2 per person per day variance isn't a wallet breaker, it is strictly THE VIOLATION OF THE PRINCIPLE that Princess Cruises Lines NOT honoring their own paperwork/flyers.

Second, no employee we've seen to date smiles or seems happy. On Disney Cruise, everyone we encountered smiles and communicates very well. Not on this Princess Cruises Line. I am saddened and dismayed by the poor treatment received by staff and management. Third: The food doesn't taste fresh at any of the meals to date. Very disappointed.

Original review: April 27, 2019

We sailed on the Royal Princess on February 2nd to 21st, 2019. Further to the complaint by Mark from Canada on February 21st, the ship was late leaving Montevideo due to two non North American passengers not having the correct travel documents to enter Buenos Aires. As a result, the ship was 9 hours late in docking & we missed our flight to Iguazu Falls and had to re-book. We had trip interruption insurance, but our claim was denied as the letter we received from Princess while onboard indicated that we were late due to “port congestion” which is not an insurable reason.

When we contacted Princess Customer Relations (3 different times) to receive a letter for the real reason for the ship delay, they have washed their hands and will NOT issue an updated letter. We are at a loss as to what to do next because we cannot appeal the insurance claim unless we have a letter outlining the real reason for the delay. If Princess had checked the travel documents of the non North American passengers when boarding in Fort Lauderdale, this would not have been an issue. Any suggestions?

Original review: April 21, 2019

We have been on 10 cruises including two on Princess. Notwithstanding we looked forward to this 28 days cruise from Singapore to Rome starting March 10 2019 for after this cruise we would be Platinum members. In the pre-cruise instructions we were advised that all passengers were required to have an Indian visa. We took special effort to ensure that we had all of the required visas. In the case of Dubai, we had an opportunity to get our tour organizer to get Dubai visas but one of our group called Princess office and was advised that our Cruise personalizers would indicate whether we (with Trinidad and Tobago passports) required visas for Dubai.

Could you imagine our surprise and major disappointment when 4 members in our group of 7 with Trinidad and Tobago passports were denied boarding in Singapore due to a lack of a Dubai visa. This changed requirement was not made known to us for we had 3 days in Singapore in which we could have obtained the Dubai visa. We begged the cruise ship official that if we could not get the Dubai visa (10 days after Singapore) we would stay on board the ship. They could also hold our passports or ‘flag’ our names on the system to deny exit from the ship in Dubai. No amount of pleading was sufficient. The decision was final and we were denied boarding. We spent two extra nights in Singapore at an extra cost of over US $750 for visas, hotel accommodation, flight to Phuket, transportation, excluding meals. We received the visas and finally boarded the ship in Phuket.

Instead of an apology for changed visa requirement which the Princess Cruises had no control, we were referred to the legal contract which made getting all immigration requirements to be the responsibility of the passengers. However what was most disheartening was blatant discrimination by Princess in that we were told that some 30 passengers had no Indian visas and yet they were allowed to board. The ruling that visas were required for India and Dubai was waived for those passengers without Indian visas but those without the Dubai visa were forbidden to board the ship in Singapore.

To add insult to injury, when we arrived in Dubai, as our cards were scanned to allow us to disembark, my wife’s card was flagged ‘exit denied’ although we had received the visas which the Admin Dept was fully aware of. She had to wait for approx 15 minutes before contact could be made with a member of the admin staff to clarify the situation. No explanation or apology was received. Obviously it was an incorrect call by Ship’s officials and they refused to accept responsibility for that decision.

While I would like to forget the additional cost of US$750 plus for this denied boarding, we never received an apology or a proper explanation for the denial and the discrimination compared to the 30 passengers without Indian visas. Based on this treatment it will be a difficult decision to continue being a passenger on future cruises with Princess. Frank and Rosemary.

Princess refuses to acknowledge their error and claims it is the passenger’s responsibility to verify visa information. However if you are told you do not need a visa why would you enquire further if this info is incorrect? We pleaded with the ship’s officer to allow us to board and we would apply for the visa online once we got on board the ship since the port of Dubai was 10 days away. We also asked if they could hold our. We were given a lame excuse as there was a previous incident where passengers were not supposed to come off at a particular port but they did! The ship’s officer was very adamant that we couldn’t board UNLESS we had a visa for Dubai.

Nevertheless we had no choice but to remain in Singapore to apply for the visa before we could think of joining the cruise. We were advised the visa takes about 3-4 days and it would mean we would have to fly to meet the ship whenever we received the visa. The next day we applied for the visas and the following morning we flew to Phuket (the 1st port of call). Fortunately we were successful in obtaining the required visas within 36 hours (1 1/2 days) and was finally able to join the cruise. It should be noted that in terms of visas, EVERYONE was told that they MUST get an Indian visa whether disembarking or not. At the port in Singapore there were several signs stating what documents MUST be presented. The Indian visa was one of the documents that you must present.

Subsequent to joining the cruise we learnt that there were several passengers with American passports who did not have the required Indian visa but were permitted to board in Singapore. The port of Cochin (India) was 6 days away whereas Dubai was 10 days away. We view this action by Princess Cruises as discriminatory because of the type of passports we hold. Had we had an American passport we would likely have been allowed to board. To add insult to injury, in spite of us having the required visa for Dubai, when we arrived at the port in Dubai, as my wife’s card was scanned to exit the ship, there was a note on the system stating ‘exit denied’. We had to wait at least 15mins before contact could be made with the Admin Dept to clarify the situation. No apology was ever received from Princess for this error.

Original review: March 27, 2019

With the exception of meeting two wonderful couples, sailing on Princess is not what it used to be. Carnival bought them and it shows. The food is not bad. It isn't as good as it used to be, and nowhere close to as good as Royal Caribbean, but the worst thing about Princess is the quality of the entertainment. Take a book! You will need it! Also, be prepared to dodge someone else's child. When children are in the area, they are not supervised or even watched. RC has an area just for adults, it's a shame that Princess doesn't. I've made it to the Ruby level but probably won't make it any further. Sailing on Princess is a disappointment, not a vacation.

Original review: March 24, 2019

My parents had to cancel a cruise 30-days out after dad developed serious health issues. Dad eventually passed after a long struggle. We requested through Princess Cruises during the ordeal for some kind of future cruise credit for mom. Unfortunately, Princess was adamant that we should have purchased cancellation insurance and would have to forfeit 100% of what we paid for the cruise including the balcony upgrades and flights. Princess never responded to our request to elevate to senior management. We attempted to call but could never get through the long wait time. There are better and more compassionate cruise line options in the market.

Princess Cruises Company Information