3.66/5

310 Princess Cruises Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 6, 2019

Have sailed several times with Princess. Regal Princes March 2019. They have improved boarding & departure to a seamless effort. That includes excursions. Our room is always spacious (for a ship) with a nice balcony. Note; you can do a little research and pick the exact room you want. If your goal is to save a few bucks then you get what you pay for. Our room Stewart Rickie was awesome. We have always had a hard working room Stewart. Having said that; I tip accordingly (these gentleman/ladies) work long hours. Next would be the food; which is fantastic. We especially like the Crown Grill which we visited twice. (Fillet mignon melts in your mouth.)

For me the next important item would be a world class gym and running track. Would definitely buy a membership to this fitness center. The entertainment is spectacular. Live shows, vocals and special events like the Beatles and comic Kevin Jordan. You would pay a lot $$ for shows like this in Toronto. Everyone seemed in a good mood, both guests and staff.

It is well known that Princess caters to the senior crowd. I would say many choose this line for the mature piece and quiet. There are no Zip Lines or water slides for a reason. Ok what you have all been waiting for; Nothing is cheap on Princess. Bottle water = $2, Excursions are pricey but we have always had a great time. (and got back to the ship on time). I recommend you book everything yourself, as much as possible. We have never had an issue with doing everything on-line prior to the cruise. OH I lied. I always have flowers (for my wife) sent to the room upon arrival Once they were a day late.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I just wanted to say "Thank you Guys!!!" from our whole family of 5 people, who traveled on Regal Princess to Carribean Islands. We had a great time (first time on cruise) the whole week!!! The crew is awesome, everything is super clean, food is unforgettable, variety of entertainment is impressive. We traveled with 3 children and they loved to go to kids club because it was fun all the time.

Our steward was most caring person ever! He was regularly keeping our rooms clean, filled with towels and other necessities, he made very cute and funny animals from towels for kids and even fixed our son's sunglasses! We will definitely recommend Princess Cruise for all our friends and relatives! Thank you Princess Crew for unforgettable vacation and for taking such a good care for the ship itself. As soon as we are ready we will consider to meet with you again!

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have traveled over 60 cruises with Princess. I also went with enough other cruise lines to compare. I felt most meals where pretty similar but always felt that Princess offered the best entertainment. Some offered better spa facilities. I found that the service was excellent as far as waiters and room stewards to be good on most, but as far as Princess is concerned, it was always excellent. Boarding has improved 100% since I first started cruising as well as disembarkation, on Princess. Of course with my elite classification I do receive special attention, but notice that the lines continue to become shorter.

I have switched to using Princess reservation personnel and find they try to give you the best service - the last 4 cruises I used the same person and she did an outstanding job accommodating me and those that travelled with me. When we booked 5 cabins with 13 people she booked us with adjoining rooms and a dinner table for 13, which in the past would have been nearly impossible.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We took the Alaska Cruise - Scenic Train combo package and we were awestruck by the Glaciers and the wildlife in the last unspoiled frontier left in the US. We enjoyed the optional side excursions and would go back in a second if possible.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

The service was great, from the wait staff, to the cruise director, to the captain who was a lot of fun. The food was great with lots of choices & variety. The spa was amazing, the excursions varied and fun.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Princess Cruises?

Original review: April 27, 2019

We sailed on the Royal Princess on February 2nd to 21st, 2019. Further to the complaint by Mark from Canada on February 21st, the ship was late leaving Montevideo due to two non North American passengers not having the correct travel documents to enter Buenos Aires. As a result, the ship was 9 hours late in docking & we missed our flight to Iguazu Falls and had to re-book. We had trip interruption insurance, but our claim was denied as the letter we received from Princess while onboard indicated that we were late due to “port congestion” which is not an insurable reason.

When we contacted Princess Customer Relations (3 different times) to receive a letter for the real reason for the ship delay, they have washed their hands and will NOT issue an updated letter. We are at a loss as to what to do next because we cannot appeal the insurance claim unless we have a letter outlining the real reason for the delay. If Princess had checked the travel documents of the non North American passengers when boarding in Fort Lauderdale, this would not have been an issue. Any suggestions?

Original review: April 21, 2019

We have been on 10 cruises including two on Princess. Notwithstanding we looked forward to this 28 days cruise from Singapore to Rome starting March 10 2019 for after this cruise we would be Platinum members. In the pre-cruise instructions we were advised that all passengers were required to have an Indian visa. We took special effort to ensure that we had all of the required visas. In the case of Dubai, we had an opportunity to get our tour organizer to get Dubai visas but one of our group called Princess office and was advised that our Cruise personalizers would indicate whether we (with Trinidad and Tobago passports) required visas for Dubai.

Could you imagine our surprise and major disappointment when 4 members in our group of 7 with Trinidad and Tobago passports were denied boarding in Singapore due to a lack of a Dubai visa. This changed requirement was not made known to us for we had 3 days in Singapore in which we could have obtained the Dubai visa. We begged the cruise ship official that if we could not get the Dubai visa (10 days after Singapore) we would stay on board the ship. They could also hold our passports or ‘flag’ our names on the system to deny exit from the ship in Dubai. No amount of pleading was sufficient. The decision was final and we were denied boarding. We spent two extra nights in Singapore at an extra cost of over US $750 for visas, hotel accommodation, flight to Phuket, transportation, excluding meals. We received the visas and finally boarded the ship in Phuket.

Instead of an apology for changed visa requirement which the Princess Cruises had no control, we were referred to the legal contract which made getting all immigration requirements to be the responsibility of the passengers. However what was most disheartening was blatant discrimination by Princess in that we were told that some 30 passengers had no Indian visas and yet they were allowed to board. The ruling that visas were required for India and Dubai was waived for those passengers without Indian visas but those without the Dubai visa were forbidden to board the ship in Singapore.

To add insult to injury, when we arrived in Dubai, as our cards were scanned to allow us to disembark, my wife’s card was flagged ‘exit denied’ although we had received the visas which the Admin Dept was fully aware of. She had to wait for approx 15 minutes before contact could be made with a member of the admin staff to clarify the situation. No explanation or apology was received. Obviously it was an incorrect call by Ship’s officials and they refused to accept responsibility for that decision.

While I would like to forget the additional cost of US$750 plus for this denied boarding, we never received an apology or a proper explanation for the denial and the discrimination compared to the 30 passengers without Indian visas. Based on this treatment it will be a difficult decision to continue being a passenger on future cruises with Princess. Frank and Rosemary.

Princess refuses to acknowledge their error and claims it is the passenger’s responsibility to verify visa information. However if you are told you do not need a visa why would you enquire further if this info is incorrect? We pleaded with the ship’s officer to allow us to board and we would apply for the visa online once we got on board the ship since the port of Dubai was 10 days away. We also asked if they could hold our. We were given a lame excuse as there was a previous incident where passengers were not supposed to come off at a particular port but they did! The ship’s officer was very adamant that we couldn’t board UNLESS we had a visa for Dubai.

Nevertheless we had no choice but to remain in Singapore to apply for the visa before we could think of joining the cruise. We were advised the visa takes about 3-4 days and it would mean we would have to fly to meet the ship whenever we received the visa. The next day we applied for the visas and the following morning we flew to Phuket (the 1st port of call). Fortunately we were successful in obtaining the required visas within 36 hours (1 1/2 days) and was finally able to join the cruise. It should be noted that in terms of visas, EVERYONE was told that they MUST get an Indian visa whether disembarking or not. At the port in Singapore there were several signs stating what documents MUST be presented. The Indian visa was one of the documents that you must present.

Subsequent to joining the cruise we learnt that there were several passengers with American passports who did not have the required Indian visa but were permitted to board in Singapore. The port of Cochin (India) was 6 days away whereas Dubai was 10 days away. We view this action by Princess Cruises as discriminatory because of the type of passports we hold. Had we had an American passport we would likely have been allowed to board. To add insult to injury, in spite of us having the required visa for Dubai, when we arrived at the port in Dubai, as my wife’s card was scanned to exit the ship, there was a note on the system stating ‘exit denied’. We had to wait at least 15mins before contact could be made with the Admin Dept to clarify the situation. No apology was ever received from Princess for this error.

Original review: March 27, 2019

With the exception of meeting two wonderful couples, sailing on Princess is not what it used to be. Carnival bought them and it shows. The food is not bad. It isn't as good as it used to be, and nowhere close to as good as Royal Caribbean, but the worst thing about Princess is the quality of the entertainment. Take a book! You will need it! Also, be prepared to dodge someone else's child. When children are in the area, they are not supervised or even watched. RC has an area just for adults, it's a shame that Princess doesn't. I've made it to the Ruby level but probably won't make it any further. Sailing on Princess is a disappointment, not a vacation.

Original review: March 24, 2019

My parents had to cancel a cruise 30-days out after dad developed serious health issues. Dad eventually passed after a long struggle. We requested through Princess Cruises during the ordeal for some kind of future cruise credit for mom. Unfortunately, Princess was adamant that we should have purchased cancellation insurance and would have to forfeit 100% of what we paid for the cruise including the balcony upgrades and flights. Princess never responded to our request to elevate to senior management. We attempted to call but could never get through the long wait time. There are better and more compassionate cruise line options in the market.

Original review: March 18, 2019

With ref to my recent cruise on the sapphire princess 28/02/2019 till 10/02/2019. I also purchased the premier drinks package for me and my wife. Also trips for the days on shore. Unfortunately I arrive on the ship unable to walk due to very bad blisters on the ball and heel of my feet. On the 02/03/2019 I went to see the ships doctor and was put on crutches to aid me in walking advised that I should cancel all the trips I had booked which I did and he also put me on ** pain killers and antibiotics which would run the full time on I was on the ship. I was very impressed that all my money was refunded for the trips I had booked. Then because I was on ** I called to reception spoke to Sebastian to see if I can cancel my premier drinks package as I could not drink alcohol this was done and all the money was credited to my account which I was very impressed with thought the customer service from head office was excellent.

Then this is where the complaint begins. On the 8/03/2019 I checked my account only to find there had been charges to the value of $885 that had been deducted from my account. I went to reception spoke to Laura and Irene. I insisted that I wanted all receipts that has gone through my account got a phone call from Laura on Saturday 9th to say she had the receipts. I called done to see them only to find there was drinks put on my account that should of gone on my wife’s account and also drinks that I had not had when queried them was told if they are on the bill I must have had them (call a liar by your staff member). When I wanted to see some one above was see by Irene again queried the drinks was told if they are on the bill I must have had them(again Called a Liar by your staff member)

I was then seen by Helen Winnett JR food and beverage office. Went through full story with her and again was told if it is on the bill you must have ordered them. When I told Helen that I could not drink alcohol due to tablets I was on and I have not ordered any drinks as I did not drink whiskey she said must have as they are on your bill (called liar by a senior member of you staff). I am not happy about these three members of your staff calling me a liar to my face and not listening to my concerns.

I then proceed to go through all the receipts I had been given only to find that there was drinks added to my account at times when I was in bed and by the same three members of your staff. I took my concerns to the reception on the morning of my disembarkment. I was seen by the duty night manager sorry I did not get her name who actually listened to what I had to say and said she will be sending a full report to head office. I did not have a very good holiday as I was on crutches for 8 days of my cruise and on tablets for the duration of the cruise. So I was not happy then to be called a liar three times to my face and also ripped off by your staff over my bar bill just topped my holiday. I look forward to hearing from you about the matter I have raised. Asked for report that was sent never sent offered 50 compensation when I am owed £280.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Emailed Princess Cruises with a query on my trip charges and received a return email stating I would get a reply within 7 days. After another email and two months of no response, I still have no answer. I guess I have to go to Office of Fair Trading to try and get some customer service. Cruise was good but customer service was terrible.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My parents almost canceled a trip due to health issues in the family - we convinced them to go. Once onboard the Regal November 2018 the ship was rolling out a new cellular plan. My folks were among the first online at the kiosk - unlimited service for the whole cruise for around 100 bucks. The young lady at the counter admitted she wasn’t too familiar with the plan but that is was very popular. My mom asked again. "I can use my phone whenever I want?" "Yup! As long as you are ON BOARD!" The employee entered a code into my moms phone for her...and told her she was all set! They were ecstatic. Before they disembarked the first time they stopped in again to make sure nothing needed to be done when they got back to make calls. No. They were assured..."You’re good!" No instructions handed out. Phone not set to WiFi calling. My parents are almost 80. When they say use the phone they mean...use the phone.

Fast forward to home. After 2 weeks of them excitedly calling a few times a day to check on things. So thankful for this great new service. They got a 700 dollar phone bill. I want to cry for them. Everyone’s attitude is too bad. They received NOTHING explaining how to use what they purchased and relied on the agents assurance that it would work. They would have NEVER used the phone like that if they were running up that kind of bill. They WOULD have emailed or FaceTimed if they had been instructed to. They deserve to be compensated for the failure of Princess's staff to properly instruct customers in the use of this new service. SHAME ON YOU PRINCESS. I’m not going away!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Below is a recount of my horrible trip to the customer service at Princess and their offer was to give me a free dinner on their next cruise (a joke)! To whom it may concern, I am writing this email with growing frustration over the horrible service and complacent attitude regarding passenger safety on your cruise ship. I am aboard your Regal Princess (room A316). I booked for two weeks for my wife, my son and myself. Also, joining us are my in laws as well as 4 other family members. I was convinced to come on Princess for the first time by my in-laws who have cruised with you multiple times. In fact, I paid more for my 2.5 yr old son than my in-laws paid for each of themselves, but family being together was more important than fees. We booked almost 6 months in advance to ensure we can all travel together.

I am sad to say that I have yet to see a single reason why my in-laws rave about your cruise line. The minute we arrived, we were placed in a room with two twin beds and a pack and play for my son. There were also 2 bunk beds in the room. I asked the front desk to place me in a room without bunk beds, so that the room would feel larger. They stated that we have to be in this room because we are more than 2 people. If the ship had a pack and play ready for my 2.5 yr old and two twin beds for my wife and myself, who did they expect to sleep in the bunk beds? Furthermore, I asked the gentleman at the front desk if he’d be willing to accept responsibility for a 2.5 sleeping in a bunk bed and possibly falling to which he responded, “no.” So, why would I accept responsibility for my son sleeping in a bunk bed?

Now, the arrangement of the room was such that each twin bed was at opposite sides of the room and the pack and play in the middle. I ask you, is it normal for man and wife married for 4 yrs to sleep at opposite ends of the room for 2 weeks while on vacation? Trying to come up with a solution, I asked our room steward to take away the two nightstands from our room to make more room, so that our beds could be placed together. He responded that he couldn’t because he didn’t have anywhere to store them. I didn’t say anything, because I just wanted to enjoy my vacation. By day 5, my father-in-law insisted I speak with a manager about the sleeping situation. I did. Only after this did someone come to take away the nightstands so that our beds can be placed together.

The above was only minor in comparison to what I experienced yesterday. My wife, son and I went to the 5th floor of the ship around 7 pm to wait for the rest of our party for dinner. There was music playing. My wife and son went to dance on the dance floor. I wasn’t paying close attention to what occurred. My wife came back upset and said that a gentleman on the dance floor was giving my wife dirty looks for having our son on the dance floor and almost backed into Ayden (my son) knowing full well where my son was. After I was told of this I started paying closer attention. My wife and son went back to dancing (on the outskirts of the dance floor).

At one point, the music stopped and the dance floor was fully empty (I urge you to check the surrounding cameras for what I am about to describe next- January 3rd between 7-8pm on the 5th floor). When, the dance floor emptied, my wife let go of my son for a second, and he ran to the middle of the dance floor. This couple (which security has identified) was the first one back on the floor. Husband and wife went and stood on either side of my son (dancing distance from one another) until he ran off from between them. It was very passive aggressive and I once again urge someone to look at the camera footage- it’s there for a reason.

At the end of the song I approached the man and asked him if he felt like a big shot for bullying a 2.5 yr old. His first answer was that, “he doesn’t belong on the dance floor.” There were vulgarities exchanged between both of us. The gentleman decided to threaten me by saying, “you don’t know who I am,” and calling me a “redneck.” Being an orthodontist, I have no time or desire to lose my reputation over someone who bullies kids but I do have to defend my family. Later I also found out from my wife (who is 4.5 months pregnant) that this gentleman had bumped her on the dance floor. I decided to put our dinner plans (for 9 people) on hold to go and inform management and security of the incident.

Last night I spoke with a gentleman name Herbert (sp?) and a gentleman from your security. They spoke with me and the other couple separately. They came back and told me that they think the whole incident was a misunderstanding. Apparently, the other couple told them that they were “protecting my son” and this was their “style of dancing.” I told them to go see the video recording and then come to a conclusion. Given that I believed that this manager and security person were only trying to sweep this incident under the rug, I insisted on writing a statement to force their hands to take it more seriously. I asked if I could write the statement in the evening and they insisted it had to be done on the spot. So, I made our dinner party wait even longer...

This morning, I was on the 16th floor at the very back (outdoors) filling water with my son when I noticed my wife trying to get my attention. This same gentleman had been staring me and my son down and would not take his eyes off of us even while walking away from us. I returned to my room to listen to a message from a manager named Lisa. I immediately went down to inform her of this morning's incident. She mentioned that she’d ensure a permanent resolution to the matter. Not believing her (as I was made the same promise last night), I called your head office. I was told by an intermediary that a person by the name of Deeiana in customer relations was sending another email to the ship to ask for immediate resolution. The intermediary would not give me Deeiana’s email or telephone number.

It has now been two occasions that this person has come in contact with me/my family even though I was assured that it wouldn’t occur again after the first occasion. One of the main themes I’ve heard on this ship (for almost 2 weeks) is safety. I wish to remind whoever reads this that it is Princess’ legal obligation to ensure the safety of its passengers and crew, including my 2.5 year old son. As long as he is not doing anything forbidden by ship rules (and I don’t remember being on the 5th floor atrium floor being forbidden), Princess needs to guarantee his safety.

Now, given the level of service I’ve come to expect on this ship, I’d be surprised if I get any answer other than “I'm sorry sir.” I would like to remind you that the answer I receive (including no answer at all), along with this email will be published on every travel review site. The above is meant to hold Princess accountable, but should you see it as a threat, maybe you can understand how a parent of a 2.5 yr old feels when a grown man bullies his child...

Since writing the above to customer service (without any response). The following events have occurred. 1. Half way during my stay aboard, I had to obtain a second guest card. I made sure to ask the staff member if my old card would be cancelled and he assured me it was. On the last day of the cruise that older card was lost. One of the cruise guests decided to charge 3 different charges to that card. I had to spend 2 hours of my last day on the boat trying to get these charges reversed just because the staff member who told me he cancelled my old card was careless and didn’t do as he said 2. My wife’s card was charged at the bar for an alcoholic beverage. She is 4.5 months pregnant. She has no reason to be at a bar. While the charge was quickly reversed, I don’t know why it was there in the first place- either questionable business practices or lack of attention to detail.

In short, this is the WORST vacation I have taken with my family. Princess has proven to be the LEAST family/child friendly hotel/cruise/resort I have been to. This is NO cruise for people with young children or for people who wish to have an upscale vacation. Not only has this cruise ensured that I will never travel with Princess again, but it has turned me off of the idea of cruising in the Caribbean EVER AGAIN! Dr. Mark **

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Cruised Princess and used my bank debit card as security. Check with purser several times during cruise and they said my bank had authorized my charges. A few days before end of cruise I get a notice that my bank refused the charges. So I called my bank, there was no problem as they had authorized my charges up to that date. Night before end of cruise got a call stating my bank refused some $6000 in charges. I said that my bank said they authorized money up to a certain day.

I called bank again, they had refused the last charge but the person at Princess entered it as authorized, Day we disembarked I called purser office and was told everything was okay and I could depart the ship. January 27th. Today February 22nd, I get a letter from Princess stating I owe over $6000. So I’m confused. Do I owe, do I dispute it, my bank account only shows $1225 paid to Princess. But everything was Pending when I got off the ship, and now it’s not. What do I do, do I have a case. I’m to go on another cruise in May and I don’t any hassles.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I am on a Princess cruise right now and sitting in Buenos Aires. Our cruise is from Fort Lauderdale around South America and up to Los Angeles. We are 1/3 way through the cruise and for me it’s been a bad experience and if you paid me $20,000 to go on another Princess cruise I’d turn it down. We have done about 20 cruises including 3 Princess cruises.

Things continue to go downhill... So many problems I really don’t know where to start but here is one of dozens examples... The ship was denied entrance to Buenos Aires because they delayed their departure from Uruguay due to some problem with guests that had legal problems that got on board. So they leave an hour late but that turns into a 9 hour delay into our port because the port authority denied them entry and they had to anchor overnight. So that is not all their fault and I can let them off the hook but then they cancelled all the day shore excursions and then decided to have everyone have to rebook their excursion and said that it could be done on the Internet but the new excursions were not posted.

Then they opened the excursion desk hours early and sold all the available remaining excursions without announcing it to anyone and most of those who had booked months before got stiffed and lost their excursion. They didn’t even give those that they cancelled their excursion a chance to rebook. So a total wasted stop in Buenos Aires. These guys really don’t know what they are doing and in my opinion they don’t deserve anyone’s business.

Btw the food has gone way downhill in the dining rooms with scallops the size of pencil erasers (not even legal to harvest) and they use big fancy descriptions with lots of sauce but the main product on the plate is substandard. The buffet is much better for those that like to line up like cattle but the overall dining experience is the worst of my 20 cruises. Our cruise before this one was Azumara from Miami to Portugal and it was great.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have traveled on Princess Cruises for years. I'm considered an "elite" client. So imagine my horror when the very cabin I'd booked repeatedly ended up this year being nothing like I booked or paid for! It was small, cramped with NONE of the amenities of a suite. It was in the front of the ship over the bridge where the "balcony" faced on to a public walkway. We not only couldn't sit out and enjoy it because it was closed off but people could wander by and TALK to us!!! We couldn't even open the drapes without exposing ourselves. This was not a reputable suite yet they charged for one. When I complained they offered a $1600 credit towards FUTURE travels. Why would I ever consider being duped again and have my hard earned vacation ruined. Beware, if they'd do this to a repeat customer who knew what a real suite looks like, they'll do this to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I missed my Indonesia Cruise due to a documented 5 and a half hour weather delay. I did not get the insurance because it was primarily for secondary health insurance - which I didn't need. Plus - should I really need insurance for a weather delay? Only the highest costing plan would have "potentially" covered MY REBOOKING a last minute one way flight to a connection destination in Asia - which wasn't even possible in my situation. The only way to get a REFUND was if the trip was delayed by the airline for 48+ hours. When do they delay a flight for that long? So, Princess took my money, resold my airline seat per my travel companion and made a tidy little profit. What a lucrative business plan. They sell virtually useless insurance and act like it's all your fault whether you did or didn't regardless of the fact that the insurance is crap. Once and done. I won't waste that kind of money again! There had to be better cruise companies out there!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

After waiting for a response from Princess Cruises and evaluating the response from Princess from a December 23-30 2018 cruise, I have decided to share my experience that I shared with Princess Cruises via email. I made this decision after carefully listening to the respondent from Princess Cruises Customer service. The impression that I was left with was that you should have taken care of this on the ship. I have a different opinion. For a cruise costing close to 7000.00 the issue describe below should not have occurred:

"I am writing this email with feelings of deep regret having to write it in the first place. On the voyage listed above we encountered a most unpleasant experience during our cruise. The concern is about our dining experience with the waiter during the 5:30 seating at the Allegro Dining Room table 543. I would like to make it clear that our concern was with the waiter. His identification listing him from Mexico. I could not read his name. The assistant waiter was most courteous and accommodating and displayed the behavior more familiar to us from previous Princess Cruises.

"Concern Number 1 on the very first meal encounter the waiter started with my wife requesting her order. Mid-sentence he stops her boldly expressing in a most abrasive and disrespectful manner that he was only taking an order for whatever he thought should be the proper sequence. She complied and I was furious, but I calmed myself thinking maybe he is just having a rough night.

"Concern Number 2 another night when the menu had Pad Thai and an Oxtail dish as an option. I was not sure if I would like the Oxtail or the Pad Thai so I inquired about my options. His response, 'These are two main dishes, I can bring you a small sample of one but you can’t have both.' Please keep in mind a $6000.00 cruise all paid in full including gratuities and I have to negotiate for less than a $1.00 worth of pasta.

"Concern Number 3 on another night and the one that enraged me and caused me to have to give careful and long thought about ever booking with Princess again or encouraging the 9000 people that I work with who have been making social media request about our cruise, and I have not responded because I am so angry and disappointed. My daughter for whom we booked this cruise as a gift for her and her for becoming an RN and BSN at just 22 years old took her best friend all expenses paid. She on that night asked the same question about two dishes that she was not certain that she liked. This time the waiter completely ignored her and just brought the first of the two dishes that she mentioned never inquiring if she was satisfied.

"This gentlemen ruined our cruise, and as the time went on. I sensed that this was deliberate behavior on his part. I noticed at some points that we sat and waited for several minutes for him to come and service us and he did not respond until I made eye contact with him on one occasion. I became emotionally paralyzed because I did not expect this behavior from Princess Staff. The prior two Princess Cruises were the best cruises we had ever been on and we anticipated nothing different. We have cruised with Disney twice, Royal Caribbean six times, Carnival and Norwegian once. Never had the experiences described above."

The telephone staff that guided me to this email address listened so compassionately and then quietly asked why we did not address this on the ship, a very good question. We were trying desperately not to ruin the memory for our daughter while on board the vessel. The plan ended on our return home, when she overheard her mother and me talking about our experience and she burst into tears. That ended it for me.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

It's really unfortunate that I am forced to leave a 1-star review, because Princess Cruises is certainly not deserving of even one star. We booked a cruise to Alaska on Princess with 10 family members to celebrate our grandmother's 80th birthday. While Alaska itself was beautiful, the accommodations we were provided on the cruise were abysmal.

We booked the trip through Costco, and confirmed several times that the room we booked would comfortable accommodate four adults. We were supposed to have reserved a balcony suite, and it was confirmed several times by Costco and Princess that we would have a room with two queen beds (one being a couch pull-out). That would have been ideal, but instead we received a much smaller room with a full-size bed, a bunk bed that came down from the ceiling, and a roll-away cot that they wheeled in every night. After several attempts to remedy the situation at the front desk (at least 10 visits), we were told they would make it right. We were also told by at least 3 front desk representatives, that the room we received was *not suited* for four adults, but rather two adults, and 1-2 children.

Unfortunately, nothing was ever done during the duration of our cruise, and we didn't have a choice but to make the most of it. Upon returning home (and several attempts to contact Princess while on vacation), we sent several emails, spent hours on the phone with both Costco and Princess. The best they could offer after explaining our situation was $100 credit toward a future cruise. Seriously? I would NEVER consider cruising with Princess again after the way they handled this situation. Yeah, it might have been partially our fault for thinking 4 adults could share a room, but we were first-time cruisers. Isn't that what the sales representatives are for when gathering information and confirming? Either way, both Costco and Princess should be ashamed that this is the kind of service they offer people spending thousands of dollars to use their service.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Perhaps all cruise companies do this. We signed up for a March 2019 cruise in late November and paid for it in full in mid-December. A check on their website in mid-January shows significant reductions to the prices of this cruise. In our case, almost $1,000.00. A call to Princess to adjust our price was unsuccessful, although the agent at least tried. But for whatever crazy marketing rules Princess uses, no adjustment could be made. This will be our 4th cruise with Princess, and I'm pretty sure it will be the last.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

WHOEVER BOOKS THIS CRUISE, BE CAREFUL, I booked cruise plan last week, received confirmation that my booking is confirmed. Next step to do was online check-in, so week after I logged in to do online check-in, now it says ''booking cancelled''. I called customer service. Someone name ''Ruth'' extremely rude who doesn't know anything, I wonder how she got the job or Princess just doesn't care, says it's cancelled because payment was not received, where I ran my card the day when I booked the cruise and it went through that's why I received confirmation email from them. Now she says ''Balcony are all sold out, I can give you ocean view''. Then she says someone will get back to on Monday or Tuesday, such a unprofessional and unreliable, untrustworthy company is this. I never took Princess in my life, always did Carnival and they are the best, carnival knows what they are doing, unlike this Princess.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Despite trepidation from previous experience using the Princess website five years ago, we booked a Princess Cruise to Alaska for this June. I presumed that in the interim, they would have improved - if anything, it has gotten worse. In order to book your excursions, you really have to use their website (if you call up, not surprisingly you will be connected to someone who is unfamiliar with specific details - you will then be placed on hold for tens of minutes while they sort out the answer to one specific question). Sadly, the website is TOTALLY dysfunctional - it is even inconsistent in taking data like credit card numbers. For any given day, there may be 20 or more tours available - after looking at the specific tour, instead of returning you to the place where you left off, it goes to the beginning. If a tour is fully booked, you have to go to the details to learn that; if it is not appropriate for your agenda, you have to figure that out by again reading specifics.

Bear in mind that for an 11 day cruise, there is a lot of material to digest and the lack of thought put into this cruise planner makes it a VERY time consuming process. The simple expedient of not showing anything not appropriate for your cruise itinerary and "graying out" those tours that are fully booked would be a simple first start in making this usable. In summary, the aggravation of using the cruise planner takes all the fun out of planning a vacation. I will never again book a Princess Cruise - it is just an abysmal process!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

PROS: * VARIETY OF ENTERTAINMENT: The staff seem to work hard and wear lots of hats. They provide enough entertainment for all ages. * MEAT LOVERS: Buffet has great food options for meat lovers especially for a long cruise. * Sweet Tooth: Lots of great desserts to choose from. CONS: * NOT FOR VEGGIE LOVERS: More desserts than vegetarian options. Very few veggies in every meal. Mostly served iceberg lettuce, very few times romaine was available, for salad throughout the length of the cruise. We never used iceberg lettuce nor romaine at home. Spring mix, arugula and other greens for salad would have been great. * Lots of Noises and Vibration: A lot of vibration and squeaking noises throughout the ship. Shows the ships age.

* DIRTY, FILTHY, NASTY: Windows along the pool deck, stateroom decks, shelving on the rooms, bathroom countertop and soap holder are all nasty. No one cleans them. We have a mini-suite therefore comes with a balcony and you wouldn't even want to seat out there. The deck looks filthy, you don't even want to know what the flooring has been exposed to. It's stained, brown spots everywhere on the blue looking turf like material that looks like it was never ever cleaned, rinsed or power washed. The glass railing hasn't been cleaned, it has white streaks it defeats the purpose of enjoying the view of the ocean from the stateroom. The same nasty streaks can be noticed when dining by the pool deck. Those windows can be cleaned while on port yet they don't do so. The chairs on our stateroom deck looks like it had bird droppings. Nasty!!! We never sat on it for the entire length of the cruise.

* VERY LITTLE CREW SUPERVISION: No one supervises the stateroom cleaning staff. You may put a tag on your door to refresh the room. It can be there all day and they will never come. If they were supervised like other cruise lines, you won't see the thick dust that has collected above, below and around the TV shelving. I didn't notice this until I put down some on our things on the shelf/desk underneath the TV and when I picked it up, there's this white grayish stuff on its bottom. It's thick dust.

* BED BUGS!!! On our second to the last night of our cruise, my husband and I had bites all over our body. They were itchy. We were at sea and didn't have internet so we didn't know what kind of bites we got until we arrived home. Bed bugs! We travel the world a lot and never encountered and never been bitten by bed bugs before so we didn't know what this marks were on our body until we got to mainland America and started Googling and learned they were bed bug bites. Uggghhh... What a headache to deal with all our stuff from that cruise. They're most likely infested with bed bugs too.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Last April 7 members of our family booked a cruise to New England/Canada for 7 days. We each checked the box for travel protection insurance. Month by month, we all paid installments on our dream trip. My 82 year old Mother paid her final payment on July 11, 2018. PAID IN FULL! On July 17 she was admitted to the hospital and 5 days later we had a diagnosis of Myasthenia Gravis. Holding out hope that she would stabilize she continued to look forward to our late October departure, knowing that she had travel protection insurance through her Princess booking and would get a refund if she was unable to travel.

DONT BELIEVE IT! They do not pay! When she had to canceled on her Dr recommendation, she provided every proof of payment, every medical document and then the insurance denied the claim and Princess Customer Relations refused to assist or refund my Mother's money as well. Furthermore when I asked for a written explanation explaining the reason for their refusal to issue the refund, from Princess Customer Relations, I was told that they never put anything in writing, all you get is a phone call saying, "I’m sorry but our review board has denied your request!"

MY RECOMMENDATION... NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH PRINCESS CRUISE LINES... NEVER WASTE MONEY ON TRAVEL INSURANCE. I’ve been on more than 20 cruises in my lifetime, but will never again travel with Princess Cruise lines because of their unscrupulous business practices! Honesty and integrity do not exist in their Customer Relations Dept.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I would not recommend Princess Cruises to anyone. I am a travel agent and there are better options. We found the crew not interested in being honest with the passengers. It was a take all you can get attitude. Three brief examples. 1. I went down to the medical clinic to get something for a sore throat. I was handed a box of 36 lozenges for about $19.00 which I agreed to pay. (In a store on land they were $4.95.) After paying for them I noticed the box looked like it had been opened. At that point the assistant said "Oh Yeh, there are only 24 in the box." That's $.90 cents per each one.

2. We asked to purchase a wine program. The come on was have a glass of wine each night for half price. We were handed a clip board with the top half of the paper on it covered up and asked to sign to see if we qualify. When the man returned he said yes and handed us back a totally filled out form at $1,700 and told that amount had been charged to our account. We said absolutely no. They said it would be difficult to change the billing. It got changed but why the dishonesty in the first place. Boy were we getting more and more angry. 3. We had agreed to purchase a health service for a quoted price of $99.00. That amount was repeated over and over again. When the bill came it was for 113.00. When we asked why the response we "It's my tip.”

4. A big embarrassing problem happened when we were given a bad bottle of wine which we had to refuse. We were told we would have to purchase it anyway. We were angry on the trip, on the flight home and after we got home. I do not understand why Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, put her name on any promotion of this dishonest company. On home I wrote to Princess Cruise Lines customer relations department. Three months later I had not received a call or email from them on the numbers I gave them. When I finally connected I talked to a sickening sweet lady who suggested that most of this was our fault.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

On March 3, 2018 my mother's luggage was either lost or stolen somewhere between the corridor opposite our stateroom and the pier where passengers collect their luggage at the end of the cruise. That same day before leaving the collection area, she filled out the Princess Cruises "Missing and Damaged Luggage Report". She was advised by the pier attendant who received her report that she should wait several weeks before taking any action, as there was a possibility that the luggage would be found. Weeks went by, so on behalf of my mother, I made an inquiry with the head office of Princess Cruises about reimbursement for her missing luggage. I also e-mailed a detailed list of the contents to her case, and a copy of the report.

On April 6, 2018, my mother received an e-mail from the Property Claims Specialist at Princess Cruise Lines Head Office, stating that a request for a check in the amount of $250 US to be sent to my mother's address had been made. After about a month, no check had arrived at my mother's address. I contacted the Property Claims Specialist by e-mail stating that my mother had not yet received the check. He e-mailed back that it must have been sent to the wrong address. He would cancel the check and send out a new one to the correct address. No check arrived. I tried several times to reach the Property Claims Specialist, but he did not answer my e-mails or telephone messages.

Finally I did succeed in reaching The Property Claims Specialist on August 23, 2018 by phone. At that time he said that he saw my mother's claim. There had been a problem with the department that makes the checks, and he would talk to them within the next few working days. Still no check was sent to my mother. Since then, not one of my e-mails or telephone messages have been answered, and my mother is still waiting for that check. My mother is a 94 year old Navy veteran. She deserves, anyone deserves better treatment than this.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Grand Princess 10/24-11/08/18 Hawaiian trip: I was offended and disappointed that Princess allows and permits in today times and environment their comedian to use racial and ethnic jokes to portray Polish people as stupid! Shame, shame, shame Princess - your Comedian Noodles Levenstein should not be allowed to perform on your ships!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Came back from an Alaskan cruise to find that American Airlines didn't even have the flight Princess had booked. Their help department told me to phone on Monday (this was Saturday in Seattle). I had to book and pay for my own flight home at a cost of $960.00 and 20 hours late. Still waiting 7 weeks after my complaint when they told me I'd have an answer in 4 weeks. I wouldn't trust this company again. I have all receipts and have sent copies of them to Princess. I also have all audio of all conversations with them as I know they have. My next step may have to be legal.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Customer service took a month to get back to me after we missed 1/2 day in a port. Thanks to power outage that delayed us and was human error (admitted by the captain while on the cruise). Customer service woman argued with me over that point (said it wasn't human error) and when I told her it absolutely was she actually had the gall to interrupt me and say that it wasn't and they would provide nothing. We lost half a day in Scotland and had to go through rough waters. Thanks to missing the tide window and they couldn't have cared less. Coffee card didn't include ice cream as in the past and the card now expires at the end of each cruise. Princess in slow decline, issues like this popping up a lot now.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We ran out of beer and wine 3 days before cruise ended. Ice cream limited to 2 flavors no banana, chocolate, or vanilla and still had 4 days to go. Duty free alcohol very limited no bourbon, scotch or whiskey sold out 5 days into cruise. Food was very poor and advertised menu was not always available. Dined at specialty restaurant and waited 40 mins for main meal. We booked for 7.30 and we still had no dessert at 9.00 so walked out. Tours very expensive. Entertainment very poor. Overall extremely disappointed with service and when we let customer service know their response was, "So what do you want us to do about it." Have cruised with Princess before and thought we would give them a second try but can honestly say worst cruise ever and 90% of passengers were not happy and all said never again. Passengers should be offered something for all the inconveniences.

Princess Cruises expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Princess Cruises is a premier cruise line that began with a single ship sailing to Mexico. The cruise line now has a fleet of ships that transport over one million guests each year.

• Gourmet cuisine and specialty restaurants: Food on the ship is hand-prepared freshly throughout the day.

• Nightlife options: Nightlife options range from watching movies and theater productions to dancing, singing karaoke and attending parties.

• Spa treatments: The on board spa offers guests the chance to relax and be pampered with facials, massages, acupuncture, Botox and full-body therapy.

• Shopping opportunities: In addition to opportunities to shop at ports of call, cruise guests can shop on board in the boutiques and attend art auctions.

• Stay in shape: A meditation room, on board gym, jogging track and Zumba classes are available for fitness-inspired guests.

• Best for: The Princess Cruises are best for couples and adults seeking new adventures in exotic locations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs