Compare Cruise Lines

Research top Cruise Lines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We went on a cruise for our anniversary. We informed the cruise line in advance. The day of our anniversary, we did not receive any recognition whatsoever although we saw various greetings and balloons on other doors. In addition, we never received the champagne our daughter sent us. We assumed that being Hispanic may have had something to do with this. Informing stewards, complaint desk, purser, and cabin boy had no effect. These people don't care about certain passengers. We cruise regularly but never again with Princess.

When I went to book a vacation with my adult daughter and Costco Travel recommended that I go through my flights to Europe with Princess Cruise Lines, that they would have the best deals and would assure that we get onto the ship if any travel mishaps were to happen. I thought this would be a convenient idea. No way would I have known that this was the worse decision that I could have ever made! I fly frequently and out of the country so I do know what I'm doing with overseas travel. Princess Cruise Lines have been nothing but incompetent, sarcastic, not able to listen or respond to any request in addition what these individuals have told me to do, specific instructions followed by me to the letter, have resulted in more people so called "Smarter" than the last and to this time, I still do not have seat assignments on my flight with my daughter that leaves in over 90 days.

Princess Cruise Lines want me to accept seats apart from my daughter, and in the back of the plane. Completely unacceptable! I have now filled out paperwork that they "just now decided I needed" and will call me back in 2 hours, haha, let's see if this happens. UNACCEPTABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE TRAINING. I WILL NEVER CRUISE WITH PRINCESS AGAIN, and by the way I have had my entire family cruise with Princess before without any problems in the past. Never again.

We traveled on Emerald Princess on 28th November 2016 to Fiji for 14 days. We were UPGRADED from deck 7 to deck 5. The cabin was dreadful with no room to move a window. You had to climb on the bed to see out of, but that was the least of our problems. The noise in the cabin was that bad we had no sleep for two days. We complained and after a lot of bother we were moved to a cabin on deck 7 a replica of our other cabin but with no window. I would like a refund for 12 days in a inside cabin when we paid for a ocean view. Wrote to them but as yet no reply.

Sun Princess cruise: Brisbane QLD to NZ return 2nd - 16th February 2017. I am furious that Princess Cruises did not inform us that Norovirus was onboard the Sun Princess' return journey to Papua New Guinea trip which was immediately before our voyage and resulted in 90 sick passengers. Our outbound trip, sailed only hours after the PNG trip docked and ours resulted in 205 Sun Princess passengers being sick. We were violently vomiting and diarrhea within 36 hours of Sun Princess departing Brisbane and unable to leave the cabin for two days until we had recovered. Fortunately, this occurred before we arrived in New Zealand and so we were able to undertake our pre-booked and paid for shore excursions at every NZ port. Whereas, many passengers could not.

The Sun Princess staff did not tell us nor a lot of other fellow passengers that norovirus was on board prior to departure, nor during our entire sailing period. If it hadn't been for all the passengers keeping each other informed, we would not have known that this virus was on board and resulting from the obviously from the previous two trips at least. More importantly, we were not informed of the seriousness of this matter. At one NZ port we saw two passengers taken off the liner and put into separate ambulances. On the last day of our journey we heard that at least 205 people had been reported sick during our trip. Surely it does not take much deduction to realise that the onboard passengers on both journeys are from First World countries and new on board, every time - that the culprit must be either the ship or its crew, or both.

Why didn't Princess Cruises inform us of the presence of the norovirus being on board many hours prior to the cruise and embarkation! Many passengers told us that their travel agent informed them and gave them the choice of delaying their cruise on the 2nd of February, 2017 to another date or, they could go ahead with this cruise. We are most unhappy about this lack of care by Princess Cruises. I have sent emails to Princess Cruises stating the above and have not had the courtesy of any reply. The silence is deafening.

I need to express my extreme disappointment in a cruise I took with Princess recently to the Mexican Rivera. It was a 10 day cruise leaving Los Angeles on January 8, 2016. I have never been on a Princess Cruise and was expecting a whole lot more for the enormous amount of money my friend and I paid for this vacation. On arrival, our mini-suite was nice. No complaints there. However, most of the time we were unable to use our balcony due to a really awful smell, which resembled bad seaweed with raw sewage. We could not tell where the stench was coming from, and our friends on the other side of the ship said they couldn't smell anything. I asked someone from Princess, and they said it was just the smell of the sea - well I can tell you, I've never smelled such rotten sea, and it was unbearable.

Pre-cruise, your telephone staff could not tell me any info on any of the excursions. I'm a very large woman, weighing in at well over 300 pounds, and needed to know some information before booking excursions. I wanted to go on the Cabo Luxury Sale with my friend, but could not get any details on how easy it was to get on and off a sail boat, so my friend had to go alone. I asked about the San Diego Zoo and again, not much info, other than they had scooters we could rent. I booked this trip, and besides going around for 1/2 hour on a bus where we saw basically nothing, we ended up sitting in the restaurant by the gates for almost 5 hours just waiting to come home. No one mentioned the zoo was up and down steep hills which, being mobile challenged, I could not do, and we were unable to rent a scooter, so was total waste of money.

The PV tour wasn't much better, as I can't walk, so had to sit on the bus for well over an hour while everyone walked the city and this was supposed to be an Easy Tour showing lots of highlight, but the highlights were on the "walking" part of the tour. We didn't see many highlights at all on the bus, not even the waterfront. Loreto was by far the best excursion, and it was exactly how it was printed out in your brochure. However, I phoned, pre-cruise, to ask where the Clambake was going to be located as I have a friend living down in Loreto, and your staff could not give me a location, so I could not meet up with my friend at all, which I had planned to do after the lunch at the clambake location.

Your food, mainly in your buffet restaurant was unbelievably poor, in quality and in cooking, not to mention the huge line-ups and lack of tables for two. After the first day, I could not eat there again. We spent most of our meals ordering room service, which was ok, but not a lot to choose from. Your "pay" restaurants were good, but we only ate at them twice as we couldn't afford to put out any more money than we already had. For the prices you charge people, I think all your restaurants just have been included.

Prior to the trip, I was trying to decide if $730 would be worth the price for the all-inclusive beverage package. I called your office and asked if a "double rum & coke" would be considered under $10 and I was told YES it was. That was not the case! We could only get single drinks on this ship, and both my friend and I are very very heavy drinkers and a single drink is a total waste of time, not to mention the waiters in the bars took forever to come back. I had pictured sitting by the pool and feeling great with waiters bringing me drinks. Instead, I had to go up to the bar and ask for a drink each time, and was told many times I could not have a double.

So this $730 was a total waste of money for me as most days I only had maybe two drinks and a bottle of water, and I'm really not one to sit in a bar and drink. What I would have liked to do was sit on my balcony in my mini-suite and drink there, but that was a huge amount of extra money I would have had to put out over the $730 already paid.

The pool is another major complaint. I did not anticipate that the two main pools had only a ladder into them, and no shallow end at all. This did not work for me, as I'm too heavy to pull myself up a ladder, and I can't swim. So basically I could not use your pool, which I had been so looking forward to. Your chairs and loungers are not built to accept a large person. They are made of plastic and would not hold my weight. Nowhere in your brochures do you mention this cruise is not meant for heavy people. When I was out at the pool, I was forced to sit in one of your upright chairs.

In the "Pay For" dining rooms, there were not enough chairs without armrests, and it was very embarrassing for me to have to ask the waiter to get someone to switch a seat with me because I didn't fit between the armrests. This never should have happened. You should have a supply of chairs put away for such circumstances. The same goes for the theatre, which I could not attend as I did not fit in the seats, so missed out on all the shows. The "Sanctuary" seemed like it could hold my weight, but again, being on a fixed limited income, I could not afford to use it.

Not that I gamble much, but I could not use your casino either due to heavy cigarette smoke. I realize you need to give smokers a place, but I don't think it should be in a casino, where basically the only chairs that held my weight were situated, not to mention having to walk through this smoky area just to get to other areas on the ship. I realize it was only 1/2 of the casino that was smoking, but let me tell you, the smoke travels. I have an allergy to cigarette smoke, and my eyes turned red just from walking through.

I spent over $5,000 on this cruise, and for this amount of money, I was expecting a whole lot more. By around the 3rd day of the cruise I was basically just staying in my mini-suite as there really was nothing else I could participate in. I must say, I am very disappointed with Princess and can't imagine ever going on another cruise. I had wanted to go to Alaska, but think now I will fly there instead. I did receive a very short phone message from Princess, thanking me for pointing out these things. That was not acceptable. I think I should have received a free cruise or at least some incentive to sail with them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Princess Cruises?

My fiancé and I booked our first cruise over a year in advance and we were so excited when the day to board the ship finally arrived. We booked the hotel and shuttle through Princess and even got the insurance to be sure no issues happened. Stayed at a hotel the night prior to be sure we made it from Chicago even if weather wasn't good. We went down to the area where The Princess shuttle was suppose to pick us up and were told to double check our bags where they're to be loaded on the bus. We checked and they were there, we even watched them load them on the bus. We could see the ship from our hotel (probably only a few blocks away... we could have walked if we wanted). On the bus ride over, the Princess attendant on the bus was bragging about how slow of a day it was for them and that we were their only bus load that day.

We arrived at the ship (with the other 33 people on the bus) and the Princess attendant told us he would drop us off by the front and they would go around and drop our bags off to be loaded on the ship. Fast forward to 6 pm when my fiance and I realize they never delivered our bags to the room. We immediately go to customer service and see others from our hotel's bus in line. They never took any of the bags off the bus! 34 people were without luggage. Customer service was of no help and they just handed us a toothbrush. An onboard credit right away would have been nice to purchase deodorant or another pair of clothes or underwear...

We all ended up without luggage for 3.5 days! They had to helicopter our luggage into the third port to get it to us. It wasn't until the morning of the day they got us our luggage that they told us how much of a credit we would get to spend onboard. Which didn't cover the extra set of clothes and additional personal items we had to purchase. Got back and tried calling customer service -- except you can't get a hold of a person that accepts complaints! Filled out their survey and asked to be contacted... all they did was add me to their newsletter list when I didn't sign up for one. Worst customer service ever. Spent almost $4400 on a vacation that they ruined. What a waste. Never cruise on Princess! They don't have good customer service or care about their cruisers. All they care about is making money off their guests.

Princess has turned into a money grubbing disaster. We went on a VERY expensive SE Asia cruise to areas we will not be visiting again and we missed so much of what we went there for due to the lying, misrepresentation and outright cheapness of the cruise area. Our guides described the lovely 5 star resorts we were passing and 45 minutes of driving later we wound up at a no star disaster for lunch.

We sweltered outside while the Princess employee relaxed in the AC inside the restaurant. We paid almost $4000 for an excursion OFF the ship to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat and four other temples. It was a ridiculous shame as there was way too much to see that we got literally rushed through. The hotel was OK and the food was OK but not at all regional so we may have been eating at home. The second day we were so exhausted we asked to go back to the ship but were told we could not and instead we got stuck on the bus while two people went out to photo the outside of a 1960s temple.

REALLY??? Our evening was a disaster. We had to eat outdoors in the heat and humidity, with bugs crawling all over the food. We asked to go inside and were told we could NOT. My husband and I had ice cream for dinner and the show we were supposed to watch was the worst dancers anywhere. Add this to the lack of service on the ship and it was a horror. The AC only worked in areas where they were trying to sell you something. Other than that, NONE. They lied to sell the "on your own" packages. We fell for it in Phuket Thailand where most of the time we were being driven to a Robinson's store which was near NOTHING. We could have walked ON OUR OWN to the either of the two gorgeous malls they have there. What is wrong with these people??? Do not, under any circumstances, trust your vacation to Princess Cruises. They used to be a good company and now they are simply money grubbing fraud artists.

I've sailed Royal Caribbean & Princess & we prefer Princess. We've done the Alaskan cruise tour & the Med w/ Princess - all outstanding. Our last cruise was a California Coastal cruise & low-key. We did an LA excursion and that was fun. We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise, but the staff really makes it fabulous. The service and the meals were excellent too. Also, we always get the beverage package so there is no big surprise at the end of the cruise. We're looking at the Panama Canal for the next one w/ Princess.

We've taken three cruises, each with different lines. Royal Caribbean was excellent, Carnival was very disappointing. Our cruise/land tour to Alaska with Princess Cruises was the best trip we've ever taken. It was breathtaking. The ship was excellent, as was the food and company. The inclusions were very good, except for the soda card they wanted us to purchase (not worth it). They had vast choices both in depth and expense for the itinerary. We truly enjoyed our side trip to the Kenai Peninsula, as we saw all the wildlife in that one place, that we saw on the entire trip. Sledding/helicopter tour from Juneau was exhilarating and the Anan Creek trip to see the bears up close was awesome (though very expensive).

We went to Hawaii on second honeymoon and everything was perfect. We had a wonderful time. The food was incredible and there were so many selections as well as special events like fruit and chocolate sculptures. The staff and the service was excellent. The itinerary was wonderful too. There were lots of things to do and very romantic. Every day was an adventure. For the value of the money, it was great.

Previous cruises with Princess have been excellent. 2016 Christmas Cruise was an enormous mistake. 2 Ruby & 1 Gold Member. The first night onboard, we started to itch and assumed it was the air-conditioning. After 2 nights of constant scratching, the welts developed and we could feel crawling on our bodies. We complained about lice in the stateroom to the Hotel Floor Supervisor, who conducted and investigation of the room with a negative result. The sheets, doona cover, and pillow cases were changed and we assumed the room had been treated.

After another 2 nights, the itching and crawling got worse, and again we complained and demanded another stateroom and were promptly told, there were no spare staterooms on the ship. The sheets, pillow cases and doona covers were changed and we were told the room had not been treated, as no insects were found. This investigation took place with standard torches, no specialized tools and no magnification equipment. We suggested they spend a couple of hours in the beds to generate the heat to start the insect activity, which of course they declined.

On the 9th night (Final Night) at 10.30pm, we had enough. No prolonged sleep for the previous 8 nights, constantly scratching and itching, our own clothes and belongings now infested and leaving the ship in the morning to take the problem with us. We confronted the night manager at the service desk and threatened to sleep on the counter if nothing was done to rectify the problem. He called the Hotel Night Staff and asked them to get the mattresses, pillows, doonas, etc from the spare stateroom on level 8. We had to leave the room for the staff to service the room and return our infested mattresses, etc to the stateroom on level 8. Why were we not moved to the vacant stateroom, instead of us waiting for our filthy stateroom to be serviced? Why were we not moved to a vacant stateroom earlier?

Why not fumigate the room at the first complaint, and the problem would have been fixed. We were told to go to the medical officer for an examination, after showing the hotel management our bites but were promptly told this was at our expense, not the cruise lines??? So now we are trying to recover a refund from Princess Cruises, but have been told "You must have brought the lice onboard with you" and Princess Cruises is not responsible for your health or is not liable in any way.

We are now following up with our solicitor and Queensland Government Departments to continue our pursuit. We own and operate a Motel in Outback Queensland, and take pride in offering our guests a clean and comfortable night's accommodation. Perhaps we could teach Princess Cruises, that problem-solving skills are of greater use and value than public relation skills, which dismiss the guest and the problem. We will take a great deal of pleasure in telling people of our Princess Cruise Christmas Nightmare.

The itinerary is good as the ship tries to please all individuals with various events. They will make every attempt to include you if able to accommodate. Sometimes the first seating Theater entertainment is too full. Elderly go to these shows first and it's hard to attend earlier or just not go. Yearly decrease in service, but increasing overall costs.

We had a mini-suite and the restroom toilet had a strong septic stench when opened. The porcelain was severely scratched and we had the steward come in several times to clean (indicating it generally isn't that harsh smelling). Moreover, I'm prone to drinking water from the ship's tap (as 2 drinking glasses are provided with coaster tops next to the faucets). That said, after leaving day one, I consumed approximately 3-4 glasses of water from that stateroom suite. Around 3 am I became violently ill with headache, cramping, and severe diarrhea.

As soon as the Medic station opened my wife took me in to see the Physician's Assistant. This person advised that I should NOT drink the stateroom water, but ONLY bottled water in the room (requiring a fee). I was then confined to my room and the cleaning crew advised of the same. Do NOT drink the water in the room. I lost 3 days as a result and confined to the suite. So... DON'T drink the water in the State rooms, but be prepared to pay for bottled water! They are adding more external restaurants and decreasing the quality options in the main dining room causing one to dine externally; however, for an additional cost!

Excellent service and good quality meals and entertainment. Very relaxed time to recharge the batteries and improve health. A chance to get away from everyday issues and see interesting places and meet interesting people.

Princess was excellent and made you feel like they really cared about you. It was clean, meals great, knowledgeable staff, and very fast boarding and disembarking. However, do not include pop or alcohol and would like to see an all inclusive cruise even if you have to pay more. Otherwise, great value and would highly recommend.

This cruise was a great experience. Started in Florida and covered a number of cities. Went to the Azores, Cherbourg, great tour of Normandy beaches, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Berlin, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Oslo, etc. and had a fantastic overview. Fantastic northern Baltic. Tallinn and St. Petersburg were amazing. The cruise had great service and entertainment and everything you needed was included. You got your money's worth and more.

All went well on our cruise, so I wanted to share the good with the bad. Princess was fine in all aspects (except the shower was SOOO small), and even the excursions were ok. Food was good. Sabatini's Italian was the best! The only issue we had was a HORRIBLE one! There was a notice that the art gallery was having an auction on board, so we attended the second day out. I won a drawing for $100 off any piece of art. Well, there was no piece we wanted, so I asked to spend the certificate on the only piece that sold at auction for only $50. They said we could. During the auction, I asked the rep if these works were original because they were selling stuff like Peter Max for just $5000! The answer Naomi gave me was, "Absolutely! We do so much business with Peter Max Studios that we sell more than the studio itself. Therefore, they give us amazing discounts." I was satisfied, so we carried on with our quest to SPEND that certificate.

First they said we could buy two of the pieces that sold for $50. Then they suggested we hold on to it for the next auction in 2 days where none of the pieces would be over $1000. We attended, but there were no pieces for that little - they lied. Sooo, we asked to spend it on that one piece that sold for $50. "Sure! Go down and see Naomi in the office." We did. Naomi said we could not use that "SL" certificate on "MS" pieces! What? She explained that some works are special, and the piece we wanted, a picture of Betty Boop swinging a golf club, was indeed special. I argued. We went round and round until Naomi gave in.

One copy, but I had to PAY $35 for shipping because she could not hand me the piece, only mail it to me! I argued again. She said, "Sir, if I had $35 on me, I'd pay your shipping, but I do not. Would you want me to go to the ATM and get it for you?" I said, "Sure! I'll go to dinner and stop by to do paperwork after." She left in a HUGE huff. When we returned, Naomi told us she had decided to "close the sale and give the certificate to someone who was buying art!"

We argued again. This time all she would say was "Have a nice evening, Sir!" We complained to the customer service manager of the cruise line, and he said they'd look into it and get back to us. Never heard back, so visited them again. Different guy this time. He said he'd give us the address of Princess Cruise Lines in CA to make a complaint! My wife said, "We are giving you the opportunity to do the right thing here." I said, "Credit our cruise account with the $100 and we'll be fine with that." He did the next day.

Princess did do the right thing, but later we found out that MSNBC did a piece on that art gallery explaining the works were all fake, only that they are "original PRINTS!" They cannot sell them as "original" on land, so they sell at sea in international waters! Scam scam scam. Think of this - someone bought a $33,000 piece thinking it was an original PAINTING! Shame on Princess for allowing these awful folks on board their ships. We made official complaints, but customers should be total aware of this scam and avoid that gallery on all their ships!

I purchased a ticket for a tour to the Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Swimming at the end of the tour of the falls. In fact, that was the main reason I chose that tour. However, we were told by the agent conducting the tour that swimming was not included and we were not taken anywhere near the beach. As a matter of fact we were not taken to the bottom of the falls which I was made to understand is the most beautiful view of the falls. I reported the matter and was made to understand that the tour agent was correct that we were only entitled to viewing. And that the agent stated there was not enough time for swimming which I considered to be contradictory if swimming was not allowed.

Please let me state that this was the only tour during the cruise that finish well within the time stipulated. In addition the tour agent took us shopping at a friend's store for almost an hour and we still got back to the ship within the stipulated time. So the claim that there wasn't enough time for swimming was not correct. I hereby reiterate my request for a full refund base on the fact that either the Tour Department is guilty of false advertising or the tour agent deliberately cut the tour short so that we would have enough time to shop at her friend's place!!

I contacted Princess to request a change of cruise date due to my wife being hospitalized. An hour call but zero goodwill. Though I was told "We are not entirely heartless, we will sometimes give a refund if a reservation dies!" Gee, how generous! The cruise to be traveled on was not full so my wanting to change date had not affected their ability to sell a room and thus be out of pocket.

I am a several time returning customer. Being told "I should have purchased the insurance plan" does not wash. Insurance plans are not offered due to Princess having my best interest at heart. They are offered as they profit from them. IT IS WHY THEY AUTOMATICALLY INCLUDE THEM AND REQUIRE YOU TO DECLINE. THEY HOPE YOU WON'T NOTICE. All in all it is just so depressing that in today's world customer service has no value, all that matters is the bottom line. I will out of principle never sail with them again.

We just abandoned our cruise on the Princess Star 16 October 16--four days early and flew home rather than enduring severe erratic banging noise all night during a night sailing in a heavy swell and twenty knot winds. I reported the noises at 10:30 approx that evening to inquire if some equipment was shifting. Apparently no action was taken as the girls English seemed stressed in comprehending my request. Finally at 1:30 I personally went to the desk while two girls were chatting and after hearing my complaint concluded that's just the way it is. Don't send anyone to check when you can just ignore Ito guess. The random banging did not always correspond to the impact of the waves so it's not a hull harmonics. It physically something else.

Nevertheless the prospect of spending three more nights like this was very high due to the fact we would sail into the tail end of the huge storm track that just hit Vancouver was not an acceptable risk as the staff had no concerns and no interest in looking into our problem. I don't think I was the only one. We overheard the desk clearing another cabin that was flying home or walking. I'm not certain. I met another couple that night in the piazza that was also upset. It may have been them. So we are short three days and prepaid all our drinks and spa which we paid for plus close to a grand to fly home.

This is just the straw that broke the camels back though. Lineups are endless here. Boarding was long and uncomfortable as 3000 pass funnel through three US customs agents while 11 wickets remained closed. Two days later they want us to line up in the morning at 7:30 to clear customs on the ship!!!! I don't get up that early when I'm working! We just did that in Vancouver apparently? The line up was three quarters the length of the ship and took an hour and they just gave us a slip and only then could we leave the ship. Next day I hear the ship intercom instructing people to line up and get a tender ticket to get on the lifeboat to go to Catalina. I refused also. The weather was suitably sunny enough to sit by the pool two or three days of which zero music was played or entertainment provided. Clearly Summer's over for this crew but I'm a Canadian so if it's 65f or better and sunny I'm all in on the pool.

Overall the entertainment was not there. Sporadic. Apparently this cruise is targeted to entertain people between 70 and 90. On the boring scale I'd rate it a nine. Quite a few bars not even open. The skywalkers bar permanently closed until ten o'clock!!! Not so on the ruby? So one of the best places to watch the ocean and chill out closed all day. So that leaves one row of windows only along the walkway to sit and have a beer and chances of that happening super slim for seating. I swear I was teleported into a retirement home library. Good for those guys. Sucks for us. Bunches of smaller annoyances turned me off this cruise line permanently.

So in summary the Star Princess layout and management for entertainment and seating is terrible. Don't stay in L220 or any cabin in that area. It's like a foundry in high swells. Don't depart from Canada!!!! Leave from the States. The customs and lines are beyond frustrating in Canada. Miss this whole cruise in fact and go on the Norwiegen Epic in the Caribbean, that was excellent!!! Nothing to see anyway, long beach is a mega industrial port!! Catalina's no big deal and neither is Santa Barbra. San Francisco good and Vancouver may be the best scenery of it all. So stay home, save your money, or drive it. It's way better.

BEWARE of airfare COSTS. They do not tell you when you book a cruise with this company. No one advised me to use "flexible air". I just canceled a cruise with them (123 DAYS from EMBARKATION) and was charged $284.76. I was given a phone # to call (I had insured this cruise) but there is NO guaranty my reason for cancellation will refund me that Total Airfare. In fact, I very much doubt I will ever see that money. Also, you are not booking airfare with an AIRLINE, you are booking it THROUGH the cruise line, so they get to KEEP your $284.76 (or whatever it may be) even though they are VERY FAR from having made any actual RESERVATION with any airline. CONSUMER BEWARE. Ask questions FIRST before booking!!!

Very disappointed with the loyalty point system as our friend booked his cruise online and was asked... "have you been on any other cruise before?" Which he answered, "yes a Sitmar cruise." When we booked online we didn't have this option of submitting our previous cruises and weren't credited for them. My husband was on the same Fairstar cruise as our friend, however apparently now you need proof. Who has records of 35 years ago? Our friend didn't even want to go with princess cruises, we talked him into it and because he travels as single supplement every cruise plus the previous Sitmar cruise, that he needed no proof of being on is credited. So 2 Princess cruise have boosted him up to Platinum!!! This is our 4th and we're on Ruby. And, yes we both have been on the Fairstar 1978... who keeps those records?

My wife had an accident on a port bus but when we asked to see the doctor on board the Emerald Princess cruise ship this was denied! When she eventually got treatment she was completely ignored by the ship's staff and for the remainder of the cruise (12 days) not one member of the ships crew asked how she was!! I wrote letters to the main heads of departments on board including the captain and not one reply was received! They have even responded since by saying that a "get well" card was sent to our cabin but we never received it so that is a lie!

We bought jewelry on the Princess Cruise ship and were promised a zero percent credit card if we applied for the Princess Credit card. We were continually charged interest even after we complained to the Barclay Credit Services. They would do nothing about changing this so we cancelled the card and paid it off. We never would have opened the card just to have another credit card. This had really tarnished my impression of Princess Cruise Lines.

I was not at all please with the services we received on cruise to Hawaii, due to the fact that we paid for specific accommodations for three persons and did not get what we paid for. The toilets did not work and we were forced to use toilets on other floors when you specify not to use only our rooms toilets. I was appalled by the fact that we had to use a bunk bed on the ceiling which is fine for kids but unacceptable for grown women. We paid to be service for accommodations acceptable which is breach of contract. You asked for all kinds of information apparently to meet our needs. For example I am a diabetic and my insulin was kept in the fridge and every time the ship sailed it was turn off. Which is very dangerous when temperatures are being changed constantly for example every day.

One of the passengers Sherry ** had to sleep on the floor on a mattress that look like a canoe because of the limited space in the room. Who by the way developed back pain because it was not only stressful but painful. I believe she had to get medical attention for this. One of the other person Lisa ** had challenges at the beginning because of her the sleep apnea machine that had to be connected and the inconvenience of connecting which made impossible for us to go to the balcony because of the connection wire and our friend Sherry ** was sleeping on the floor.

The internet was also another issue and extremely difficult to do because it took Ms. ** hours to get this service that was not free and also that she is an Executive Director for Mary Kay and was preparing her end of the month report. Because of this delay she was not able to participate in some of the Social Activities that were offered why she even missed the New Year's party.

We also spoke to other passengers who informed us that they too were having issues with the toilets. So we were not the only ones who experience problems with the toilets, and I am sure you got complaints regarding this which was brought to our attention by Costco. Costco informed Ms. ** that it appears they may do business with Princess. I assume they had many complaints from other passengers. Which brings to mind the unpleasant odor that was coming from the bathroom. It was horrible and this type of experience can make it unpleasant to enjoy this vacation and of all things during the Christmas season which is so suppose to be a joyous time to celebrate. Stingy poop is not pleasant and especially and the only course of action is finding a bathroom that is not occupied which can embarrassing if you are having an emergency.

Why have to submit a Doctor's report when you do not take into consideration any pending physical challenges that I Helena ** had? I have fibromyalgia, COPD Anxiety, this and more are conditions listed by my Dr. Magda ** informed you. She felt that this vacation would be excellent for my health conditions. You have the report and I have a copy to verify this.

I would like you to know that I am on Social Security and $2560 is a lot of money to invest for not receiving the services that all of us are deserving. I would never recommend you to my friends or comment on Facebook, which I will be commenting about this trip. Ms. ** already made a comment on your Facebook account and I am going to do this too. Also obtain legal counsel regarding this case and the Better Bureau and my favorite T.V. station channel 2 and 9 and contacting Mr. David ** which is pending, to save other possible passengers the ordeal of going through what we through.

Also you made an offer to MS. ** that was unacceptable which included a credit but we had to put up more money for the trip. The employee said we have never compensated our passengers with any more that we are offering and believe it was only Ms. ** who given this offer and rest of us nothing. I have written this with a clear conscious and truth to the best of my ability. If you would like to reach me to settle this dispute I can be reached at **.

I expect a positive resolution to the above case and dilemma, for myself and the other mention passengers I would like to add the other reason for taking this trip was finding a sense of peace as I have always loved the sea and to forget the tragedy we here in San Bernardino we had by the terrorism that affected us in San Bernardino. I lived very close to where this happen. It will be a day I will never forget we lost loved ones who did not survive. It was a day of great mourning for all of us to think twice before going out because of the bombs that were planted.

On April 19 to April 29, we embarked in Vancouver for Coastal cruise to California - LA, Santa Barbara, Catalina Island, San Francisco. It was a cruise simply to just get a vacation. I think the following are the faults and responsibilities of Princess Cruises and whoever people are in charge should be fired or disciplined.

Embarkation (from Vancouver); it is typical for passengers going to the US to have their passports and security checks done in Canada. Before passengers take planes to the US from Vancouver airport, for example, the US security and immigration clears the passengers. Upon arriving to the US, a passenger cleared to fly to the US can just check out and go. The same thing on ships and cruiser. As a regular cruiser, I've time and time again, checked in by US immigration and security before boarding an American ship or a ship heading to the US. Not so on April 19.

Over 2,700 passengers were allowed to board Star Princess without checking in with American authorities supposed to be stationed in Vancouver port. Upon arrival at our first stop, Los Angeles port, passengers who received instructions to disembark at a certain time were already lined up ready to leave the ship. The line became longer and what was the first disembarkation supposed to be at 6:45 am, lasted till 10 AM. By that time, 2,700 passengers await at the long line up extending to the ship's hallways and stairways. The US immigration came on board and processed people's papers. By 12 noon, we were able to disembark at LA but many more were held up inside the ship.

Star Princess cruise printed a ship newsletter and circulated it the following day inside the ship, apologizing for the fiasco. It said the US immigration did its best. Without blaming the US government literally, they meant to say it was the US immigration's fault. The passengers do not think so. The US immigration will always do their job however they can do their job. We believe it was Princess cruise that screwed up and whoever planned this whole thing did not have the brain, the guts, or the vision to realize that about 3,000 people will enter the LA port that day, held up in an American ship in an American port in LA. Whoever planners were for Star Princess should be fired for such dumb and stupid and inconsiderate planning.

Star Princess had been to the US many times and as it is under Carnival Company, they could have arranged with US immigration in Canada to process papers. By that time too, the Americans who were legitimately able to disembark in any port in the US also lined up. The handicapped, people in wheel chairs, in walkers, and those with canes also had to line up. Star Princess did not have the decency to assist those people to go ahead or make special lines for them.

The LA excursion was a fiasco. Passengers got out of the ship late and the excursions were cut short. The Santa Barbara excursion was a hoax. One of the excursion was the trip to Montecito and the Catholic Missions. This was nothing except a drive around the city, where the driver/guide would point out to the house of this and that celebrity and all you see were tall fences and trees... The bus did not stop and let the passengers get off to take pictures. Now, the Mission... nothing. It was just a drive by-look-and-off-we-go. Ask the excursion staff at Princess and they'd tell you say, it will stop at the Missions, yes, it will show you celebrity homes.

Star Princess passengers are "in your face type"... This is not the fault of Princess. Just part of my review. Many people in that cruise had no manners. They pushed in the elevators and in Princess Theatre. Again not the fault of Princess.

Our cabin was dirty and we had stained bed skirt. Under our bed were some soiled linens left there by our cabin steward or maybe he didn't know but it was disturbing to sleep knowing that there's something lurking under your bed. Arrogant staff and crew. There were crew who appeared more like Secret Service kitchen staff as though they're there to literally secure the safety of pork chops and salad bowls. Ask them a question, one guy would use his lips instead of his arms as he stood akimbo and with his "Aardvark lips" points to the right or left along with the nod up or down of his head. This guy won't use his arm. Star Princess had very few staff at the Horizons Court. It takes time for a table to be cleared of the mess.

Many staff hardly spoke or understood English. We "interviewed" several staff from Eastern Europe and misty they said they had 6 months off. Most were backpackers ready for adventure so they're really not there to provide good customer service. The staff had name tags from the countries where they come from which could promote racial profiling or biases. For example, one passenger said those who come from a certain Asian country does his job better than the other one who came from somewhere else. One thing I need to point out though: 1. Star Princess had tasty food; 2. It had very good entertainment; 3. There are lots of activities to choose from; and 4. It is not a money-pit.

Crown Princess 3/5/16 Mexican Riviera. We decided it was time for a family vacation and we wanted to do something different. I did some research and we decide a cruise might be a great idea. We researched different cruise lines and itineraries and decided the Crown Princess Mexican Riviera Cruise would work for all our needs. I started the process on the Princess website. Then I got a call from a Princess Rep the next day telling me he would personally help us through the process. He helped us find two rooms right across from each other. We got everything figured out and he put it all on hold for a day while we made our final decision. I called him back the next day and moved forward with our family vacation.

We flew into Long Beach and took an Uber to the pier. We arrived at the pier and there were plenty of porters to help with all the baggage. They were helpful. They made sure the luggage tags were correct and they took your bags into the building. Of course they are working for tips and I took care of him. He was then kind enough to walk us down to where we needed to enter. We walked in and waited in line behind maybe 5 groups. Maybe a 5 minute wait. We gave them our boarding passes and passports. They gave them back and gave us our key cards and sent us to the ship. No more than 20 mins from the car to being on the ship and having the first family picture taken.

We were directed to our cabins and we checked them out. My wife did her typical wipe everything down thing with Clorox wipes (TV remote, door handles, drawers everything), and we decided to explore the ship and get something to eat. The kids could not believe how big the ship was. It was their first cruise. It was my wife and mine's 4th cruise, third on Princess. We showed them all over the ship and we checked out the kids clubs for them. They found the basketball court and that was their favorite place to hang out when they weren't in a pool. After exploring we headed back to the cabins to get our life vests for the Muster drill. To our surprise our bags were already delivered. We unpacked pretty quickly while waiting for the muster drill.

I have to say I have read a lot of bad reviews online. I take them for what they are worth. I have to say some people are crazy. I like to get what I pay for. I work hard, and for the few vacation days I can actually take a year, I want to enjoy myself. I am in the service business, and I expect good service when paying for a nicer vacation. I understand my expectations are very high and can't always be met. I really can't come up with one thing that was bad on this vacation that was Princess fault or any of their crew.

The crew were always happy, accommodating, and entertaining. The food was perfectly fine. It's not what it used to be but was perfectly fine. There were always choices so there was always something for everyone. If you don't like something, just tell your waiter (nicely) and they will be happy to get you something else. The one thing that we missed was an abundance of servers by the pool. On past cruises, before tipping was included in the price, we rarely had to leave to go to a bar to get a drink. On this cruise, poolside servers came up to us about 3 times during the week; the rest we had to get ourselves. Not a big deal, but just one of those small differences.

We never once had to wait to get a drink either at a bar or a server. They were always happy to help. We don't typically eat in the buffet much but it was nice to see they made you sanitize your hands before entering the food lines. *Side note* - there are sanitizing units all over the ship. The burgers and hotdogs at the pool grill were always available and hit the spot. We had anytime dining and we waiting 15-20 minutes the first night. No big deal. We were given a pager and we went to get a drink while we waited. Just like going to a restaurant without a reservation.

TIP: We learned you can make reservations by just calling from your room that day. Then you could show up and walk right in. You're welcome. We did eat at the steakhouse twice. The boys enjoyed huge steaks and the little one was turned onto lobster tail for the first time and fell in love. The next night was a formal night and we went to the dining room. They had lobster on the menu and he ordered it. He polished that off in about 3 minutes. The waiter came by and asked how everything was. My little one said "it was delicious, could I have another." The waiter was shocked, then smiled and said, "Anything you would like, sir." That's my boy.

Ok on to the entertainment and activities. There is something for everyone to do if you want to do something. If you don't want to do anything you lay by a pool and sleep. You did have to follow the schedule to know where and when activities were happening. They don't come looking for you. Announcements are difficult to hear on the pool decks. We saw most of the shows. The shows were well done. Don't expect Broadway seriously. This is cruise ship entertainment, and you need to walk into this realizing that these young performers haven't hit it big yet. Some shows were better than others. The dancers were great. The comedian was funny but sort of annoying with his delivery and mannerism. The magician was amazing and very funny too.

The cruise directors crew were great too. They were always around getting people involved. Dan the cruise director wasn't the most outgoing Cruise Director I have experienced. His jokes were canned and we really never saw him walking around the ship and interacting with people. But we have had some great ones in the past so it's hard to live up to them. But there was always something to do so I have to give him and his team credit.

We did book 2 shore excursions through Princess as my wife believes it is safer that way (she worries a lot). We booked a Pirate Ship Adventure in Puerto Vallarta and boy was it an adventure. I won't go into that right now since that part has nothing to do with Princess. All I can say is you may want to rethink that excursion. BUT I will say that Princess DID resolve the problem to my satisfaction as soon as I returned home. We also booked a Swimming with Dolphins excursion in Cabo San Lucas. All I can say is Dolphins are amazing animals. A great family experience. I highly recommend it if you get a chance.

As far as the Ship, it was in fine condition. If you are going to scour the ship looking for things that are wrong, then maybe you should be an inspector instead of a vacationer. I don't understand people who complain about a piece of rust or flaking paint on the wall or corner of your balcony. The ship gets used every day in all kinds of weather with moisture around all the time. This stuff will happen. It really shouldn't affect your trip. The ship was always being cleaned, from the pool decks being sprayed early every morning to staff wiping hand rails all the time. I read so many reviews talking about how they got sick because of the ship. It's not the ship making you sick, people. It is all the other people on the ship that don't have proper hygiene practices.

Nothing has opened my eyes more than being stuck on a ship with 2000+ other people who don't cover their mouths when they sneeze or cough, don't wash their hands after using the restroom, and don't take advantage of the dozens of Purell sanitizers all over the ship. My 9 and 13 year old children have better handwashing practices than many of the 40-somethings on the ship. IF everyone would do this the world would be a better place to travel.

Let me touch on the tipping real quickly. I prepaid all our gratuities prior to our trip. I understand the crew doesn't make a lot of money. I realize that they need the tips to help their families. I don't see it as a problem. It's just part of the cost of a cruise. They work hard and deserve it. I found over the years if you take care of people they will take care of you. We got on the ship, we met our cabin steward, Marcos. He welcomed us, showed us around the rooms and showed us how to reach him if he wasn't in the hall. I gave him a little something and I can say we never needed anything. He was on top of it. He got to know our schedule and worked around it. He would wait until we went to dinner (normally late) to freshen our room. He went above and beyond.

One day we needed a couple extra towels in the afternoon. I saw Marcos and he said very apologetically he didn't have any clean ones at the moment. I said whenever he gets some could he drop some off. He said of course and was going to go get some from the laundry. Less than 5 minutes later there was a knock on the door and it was Marcos with some towels. He borrowed some from one of the suite stewards (Suites get nicer towels and linens). So of course we took care of him before we left. He even let us keep our stuff in one of the rooms while we went to breakfast on debarkation day.

Well, I probably rambled on too much. But I really think we had a great experience and wanted to share that. I have written good reviews when deserved and bad reviews when deserved. It's much easier to write positive ones. It brings back the memories of the vacation like it was yesterday. The Crown Princess is a great ship. The Crew was fantastic. We can't wait for our next cruise. Which will actually be this summer on the Royal Princess. Stay tuned for that review.

I have been on the phone with Princess Cruise Lines for over 2 hrs with their Customer Relations people. I finally got a supposedly supervisor "Jess" that was rude and not at all helpful. I requested to talk with his manager which he states was against policy (shame on you Princess) and is having another supervisor call me... which he could not tell me when or give me their direct phone number. I had Princess Customer Service do a name change on 2 bookings so that they would match the passports. Neither time did they mention anything about airlines tickets would have to be cancelled and repurchased (now at a higher price). I only found this out on my own when trying to contact the airlines to upgrade my seats.

Also 2 different Customer Service Reps relayed different information to me and they didn't know that the airline tickets had a different name on them. Poorly trained staff. I worked in Customer Service in the Aerospace business and was shocked at this lack of training & knowledge. I am very disappointed in Princess and my issues are still not resolved. If we hadn't already paid and planned our 3 families taking this cruise in Japan I would cancel the whole trip.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Can't figure out how to update from 1 star to 3.

Brian of Wyoming, MI on

Original Review

For the first 3 days of our 5 day cruise had hot water issues and were unable to use our shower. We returned to our room to shower about 10:00 p.m. on our first night but found the shower and the bathroom faucet to have only water that was scalding hot. There was no range of temperature from either the shower or the faucet, just dangerously hot water.

Around 8:00 a.m. on day 2, we reported our water issue to Thawon, our cabin steward, and he arranged for a plumber to correct the issue. (Thawon did a fantastic job during the cruise and was very attentive.) When we returned to our room at midday, the plumber had been there but we still only had scalding hot water and no range of temperature. We reported the issue again to Thawon. A plumber worked on the issue again in the afternoon, but when we arrived back in our room that evening we only had lukewarm water, still no range of temperature, and still unable to use the shower.

Between 8:00 and 9:00 on day 3 I visited the Passenger Services desk to report the issue and our increasing frustration at being unable to use our shower. I was told by Carlos, unbelievably, the rocking of the ship was probably the cause of the problem but he would send someone to look at it. At noon when we arrived in our room the issue had still not been resolved. I again visited the Passenger Services desk and was told a plumber would be there immediately. My wife and I waited in our room for an hour but nobody came to fix the shower. I again visited the Passenger Services desk and was again told a plumber would be there immediately. I responded that I had been told the same thing before and I needed to speak with someone else about the issue.

I spoke with Lee, the Finance Manager, and he assured me it would be corrected immediately. We requested a different room but were told none were available. Lee did offer a bottle of wine for our trouble. My wife and I again waited in our room for a plumber who did not appear. About 3:00 we received a number of phone calls from Passenger Services saying the issue was corrected when in fact, it was not. Violeta, Housekeeping Supervisor, arrived to check the temperature of the water and called Passenger Services from our room to confirm there was still a problem. Thirty minutes later Violeta returned telling us the issue was corrected but when we checked the water, there was no change.

After more phone calls, Lee arrived at our room to tell us the problem was found to be in the engine room and was being worked on. Around 5:00 p.m. we again had hot water, although there was only a very small range of temperature. We decided to live with the situation rather than spend more of our cruise frustrated and angry. Three days folks. We've requested a 3/5 refund for three out of five days. So far = NADA.

My wife purchased a deluxe renewal of vows package, which included the room being decorated with flowers, chocolates, roses, and champagne. It took 2 phone calls and a trip to the customer service desk in person to get them to actually do this. In addition to that 2 out of the 3 ports we were supposed to visit were canceled and/or changed.

We voiced our concerns with guest services, who repeatedly promised us that a manager would contact us. It took 13 hours, 2 phone calls, 2 trips to the guest service counter, and threatening refusal of payment to ever get a manager's attention. The only compensation offered was sending us a letter to contact customer services later on after the cruise was over. The guest services staff were completely incompetent. The only good thing about the cruise was the housekeeping and wait staff, who were all exceptional.

The hot water didn't work for two days and the air conditioner in our cabin didn't work for our entire eight day Christmas cruise on the Emerald Princess. (Many other passengers also experienced problems on this cruise). We're Elite members and the compensation offered was insulting. According to their records, the matter was fixed the first day. According to our recollection, we visited the Purser's Desk every day and every night of the entire cruise to get the issue resolved. The rep told me that if we weren't Elite members, we wouldn't have been offered anything! Princess' motto is "Come Back New." Our motto is ABP- Anyone But Princess. Fortunately, there are plenty of ships on the sea to choose!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Princess Cruises is a premier cruise line that began with a single ship sailing to Mexico. The cruise line now has a fleet of ships that transport over one million guests each year.

• Gourmet cuisine and specialty restaurants: Food on the ship is hand-prepared freshly throughout the day.
  • Nightlife options: Nightlife options range from watching movies and theater productions to dancing, singing karaoke and attending parties.
  • Spa treatments: The on board spa offers guests the chance to relax and be pampered with facials, massages, acupuncture, Botox and full-body therapy.
  • Shopping opportunities: In addition to opportunities to shop at ports of call, cruise guests can shop on board in the boutiques and attend art auctions.
  • Stay in shape: A meditation room, on board gym, jogging track and Zumba classes are available for fitness-inspired guests.
  • Best for The Princess Cruises are best for couples and adults seeking new adventures in exotic locations.

Compare Cruise Lines