3.85/5

Looking for a travel site?

oceaniacruises.com

Looking for a travel site?

Oceania Cruises Reviews

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

Service has always been wonderful. Ratio of personnel to guests provides fast and efficient service. Food is excellent, tours as well. Another thing we like is dress is casual... Country club casual as they call it. No lugging of tuxedos or suits, etc... Looking forward to next cruise with them in January.

Original review: July 30, 2019

All staff works hard to provide outstanding, friendly customer service. Staterooms are kept immaculate. Five-star dining and atmosphere, even in the main dining room. Well organized land tours. We felt pampered, and not crowded nor rushed.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We had just started our cruise in November 2018 and my husband got a chest cold, because of the AC it got worse after a few days and had problems breathing. Went to the medical clinic and the doctor put him on IV, two times for two days. They took x-rays and did a blood test. When we got the bill at the last day of the cruise, it came to $ 9700.00, which is outrageous. We had to pay and we thought that we could claim it to our insurance. Now they refused to pay and we are left with this enormous debt. The doctor had asked if we had insurance and he said yes, probably they charged way more now. The care he got was good, no complaints about that, I guess a bit over the top.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

We just sailed on the Marina in the Baltic for 10 days with Oceania and it we would not recommend it, or sail with Oceania again. While the food was good and the service excellent overall, we found several things very disappointing. First, the internet services is terrible. I mean, think of old school dial-up. It's that bad. And, if you are sailing with a roommate, you both can't be on it at the same time. It's not like we want to surf the web all day, but you can't even really check emails or stay connected with home. However, if you have the patience of a saint, then there is hope for you... Also, I wanted to upload my photos from my phone because it was full and that was basically close to impossible. On the last day, I couldn't take any more photos because of this issue.

Second, the condition of the ship was bordering on fair/poor. Scratches and scrapes on the walls, peeling paint, the bed skirt in our room and carpet was stained. Yes, there is a refresh coming, but they waited too long. Third, the excursions are too overpriced and they do NOT offer any type of earphone/headset. We are not hard of hearing, but being able to hear the guide directly in your ear takes the competitiveness out of the equation because we don't have to stand on top of each other to hear the guides with thick accents and can wander to take photos and still hear them. Fourth, the specialty restaurants are touted as an asset. Yet, we had a hard time getting in at a decent time slot. For ex- reservations open to the general passengers 45 days prior to sail, online. Within hours of this, I tried to book a time before 8pm for 3 of us. Nope. Nada. Nothing available.

And, forget help once onboard. If it's not open in the computer, then forget it. We were ultimately told that specialty dinner reservations opened early to elite passengers who then take all the good slots. How is this fair? Fifth, disembarkation on the final day was a complete nightmare. We apparently got into port late which delayed people getting off the ship. It was chaos. People didn't know where to wait, were told we couldn't wait in the main lobby area (then where were we supposed to go with all of our bags/stuff?) and we were unsure if we were going to make our waiting scheduled pickups to the airport. When we asked an Oceania rep, we got a stone-cold frustrated response from them and were told we were 30 minutes late... Yet, we were only 15 mins late ultimately. This caused unnecessary stress.

Finally, my mother-in-law who is 80 and somewhat incontinent could not find a bathroom with all the chaos and people and didn't know where she could sit and rest her bad knee during all of this. The end of our vacation should not finish like this! In the end, we sailed on Oceania because of the small size of the ship and price for luxury. It doesn't add up, but could be a good product.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Oceania reservations told me that my hotel room at 2 different destinations would accommodate 3 people. I was charged for 2 rooms at 2 different destinations. Oceania would not refund me the extra room charges. There are a couple of processes in place to share hotel information during the pre-cruise booking process which includes pop-up screens and quoting prices through the Reservations system and later noticeable in each guest billing details. We try to provide as much information as possible through our collateral marketing materials including the one of the last pre-cruise documentation our guests receive via express courier before embarkation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oceania Cruises?

Original review: July 26, 2019

We went on Oceania because we heard how great it was. Our cruise was on July 3rd. We decided to spend extra days in Lisbon and Rome. Our agent did our flights and we were extremely disappointed. For money paid we were on the lowest cost flights and he did not put any of the 4 of us together. 2 of us were charged for insurance that we did not ask for, 589.00 each. They would not resolve it for us and would not reimburse. The food was mediocre. They need to change their menu. It always seemed the same. We had about 3 really good excursions out of 7. The Sirena is a really nice ship and the service was very good. However everything else about Oceania is not worth the money they charge you. I would not recommend them.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Just finished a 7 day Alaskan cruise. Paid the extra for a Penthouse Suite. Our butler was fine and made sure we had drinks and mid afternoon snacks. This was the best part of the trip. The biggest negative was dealing with appropriately 90 children from fifty to fifteen. The children overwhelmed the ship. There was nothing designed for children on the ship. Consequently they took completely control of the pool and hot tub. The children showed up in everything, and constantly ran around the ship with no consideration for seniors to use the ship facilities. This applied to the children controlling the various restaurants. When my wife and I would go to eat we found most of the two person tables taken by masses of children. The list goes on.

The other major objective was the food. After trying the major food entree and not impressed by the entree quality we began choosing salads, and soups. The shrimp starter and the Caesar Salad became our default menu. Everything considered I wouldn’t chose Oceana again, and my friends and family who are all seniors were waiting to hear about our trip, have decided to chose other cruise lines which provided acceptable quality at half the price of Oceana.

Original review: March 11, 2019

We chose the cruise because of a very good itinerary starting from Auckland, then Sydney and east side of New Zealand. Unfortunately we had to miss Burnie in Tasmania because of poor weather. We had planned to post postcards at Burnie so reception offered to post them at Melbourne - however now nearly 4 weeks after Arriving home no one has received their card!! There was a problem with ‘blocked toilet’ affecting a block of cabins on four separate days. Luckily there was a toilet at the end of our corridor but some people on upper decks had to walk down two decks to reach a toilet. We had booked kayaking at Bay of Islands on our first day of the cruise but no booking card was left on our door, when we enquired we were told ‘abruptly’ that a letter had been sent and we had received it! One hour later the letter arrived.

Food was ok but I would prefer to help myself instead of being served a very small helping of salad, the food was often unlabeled or undercover. I have had many massages but the aromatherapy massage I had was the worst ever. I was so uncomfortable on the couch when lying on my front my face was in the gap and there was a raise in the couch pressing on my neck, when I complained to the masseur nothing was done about it, it was such a relief to turn on my back. I had requested a relaxation scalp massage as an extra costing 35 dollars but that was done within the 52 min massage! At the bottom of page 2 of the pricing in very small writing it that a service charge of 18% would be added, so the bill was 190 dollars plus 18%!! The ship is very dated but was clean and we had a lovely cabin.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I want to begin by saying that my husband and I have been on 15 cruises with several cruise lines (Princess (1), Royal Caribbean (2), Carnival (4), Celebrity (7) and now, Oceania on the Marina (1)). So the following comments are made with a reasonable frame of reference and ability to compare. We were drawn to Oceania for two reasons: 1. The itinerary (French Polynesia) and 2. The cruise line's reputation for good service and great food. Knowing that it is considered a "higher end" cruise line, we were not shocked by the higher rate and felt that there would be added value.

The Good: 1. Check in was swift and easy. From arriving at the port until check in was completed, it took no more than 15 minutes in total. 2. The crew in general was excellent. Very polite and attentive. 3. For the most part, the specialty dining rooms were very good. We especially enjoyed the Red Ginger (Asian Fusion). The food and service were great. 4. The tender service to the islands was efficient and readily available. 5. The fitness director (Diana) who ran all classes and personal training was the best. She knows her stuff, she's inspiring and extremely nice. 6. Soft drinks, bottled water and fancy coffee were available at no extra charge. This is a benefit not found on many other cruise lines.

The Not So Good: 1. Our PH1 (junior suite) was not much bigger than a regular veranda stateroom on other cruise lines. Although well appointed (i.e., excellent bed, larger bathroom and closet), it was still small - and in my opinion, not worth the added price. 2. The Terrace Cafe (buffet dining) had limited operations. If you slept in, you missed breakfast there. The same can be said for late lunch eaters. On other cruise lines, there is always some food stations remain open so that there are always options for eating at the buffet.

3. There was not a lot of variety in food offerings at the Terrance Cafe. Oceania is noted for its "foody" foods. However, sometimes it is nice to just have regular food (other than hamburgers or hot dogs). On other cruise lines, I enjoyed having tuna, egg or chicken salad or fish and chips (things like that). As well, there was a lack of international cuisine on Oceania Marina. On other cruise lines, the ships featured cuisine from the ports we visited (i.e., Mexican, Asian, British, Russian etc). Since our Oceania cruise visited French Polynesia, it would have been nice to sample its cuisine. 4. The ceilings on Deck 6 (lounge, sitting and casino areas) are very low and feel extremely claustrophobic. 5. There is a tiny coffee bistro on Deck 14. It also has very limited seating area (perhaps for only 8 passengers). 6. The casino is almost nonexistent.

The Bad: 1. We, along with 200+ passengers boarded the ship around 10 pm. There was no welcome drink and after check in, there was no food service. After arriving on an 8 hour overseas flight tired and hungry, it would have been nice if the ship provided some refreshments in the check in lounge. 2. The same as above occurred when we left the ship - very early in the morning. There was no coffee or muffins provided in the departure lounge. We were just sent on our way.

3. The fitness area is extremely small with limited numbers of treadmills, exercise bikes and ellipticals as well as weight machines etc. The exercise classroom is even smaller. A cycling class can only accommodate 8 passengers since there are only 8 cycling bikes. Although there were sign up sheets for various classes (thus limiting the number of passengers who could attend), basically anyone who showed up was let in. At times, there were 20 passengers in a Zumba class that should have only accommodated 10-12. This took away from the experience and also increased the likelihood of injury.

4. The cost of alcohol drinks was expensive. More so than other cruise lines mentioned. The drink packages were also more expensive than other cruise lines. 5. Likewise, the cost of ship provided excursions were out of the roof. For example, the only ship based excursion we went on was the glass bottom boat ride. It cost $129/person for one hour. BTW, this was one of the more "reasonably" priced excursions.

The Really Bad: 1. We were provided with free unlimited internet access. The problem was that was useless. Typically, WiFi access on a ship is slow. That is a given. However, on the Marina, the WiFi could not be accessed in staterooms or many other areas of the ship. It was also impossible to connect with others using FaceTime or Skype. I later learned that these features are blocked using the "free" internet access. The cruise line advertised an upgraded WiFi service at $15/day that would allow for unlimited streaming. This was completely false. While access improved and FaceTime sometimes worked, it was impossible to open attachments. Uploading photos also took hours to do. On all of our other cruises, we had no problem with internet access although it was slow. We did two TransAtlantic cruises and did not have any of the problems experienced on this cruise.

2. The airport/port transfers were outrageously expensive (i.e., 3 times more than other cruise lines). The time to travel from the airport and the port was under 10 minutes. On other cruises noted, we traveled for 30+ plus minutes for considerably less. Moreover on this cruise, it took at least an additional 15 minutes before the transfer even left. We did pay an equivalent amount on a Celebrity cruise. However, the distance from the port to the Santiago airport was 90 minutes and an additional two hour city tour was included. Summary: While we enjoyed our cruise and appreciated the professional crew and good food, we felt that Oceania did not provide good value. For that reason, we will no longer be cruising with them again.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My wife and I have taken numerous cruises and have always had pleasant and memorable experiences. That came to an abrupt end this past Sept. when we were on an Oceania Cruise in the Mediterranean. I rely on internet service for my business and on past cruises have encountered slow service at times. No problem. On this cruise I had no service. (No connection at all.)

On the ship, staff told me to keep the door to our penthouse suite open whenever using the internet. That was their only solution to the problem. Because I spent a lot of time on the computer, we essentially gave up our privacy by having the door open so much. After we returned home, guest relations answered our complaint by constantly giving us the company line which was that they do not guarantee internet service. It was a frustrating experience to deal with guest relations and constantly being told that the situation could not have been handled any differently.

Oceania Cruises Company Information