1.79/5
  • 1 star
Based on 100 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 1, 2017

510 Norwegian Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Shirley of San Francisco, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I am a very low key cruiser. I let the cabin steward know that I did not need service, yet he would still receive tips. He had mental issues and was paranoid-- banging on my door one day, demanding to service the cabin. I obliged and let him do so while I was out dining. When I returned, I saw that he had rifled through my things and left a surprise piss in my toilet without flushing. Some valuables were also missing. NCL feigned concern but did not admit fault, giving me a form to fill out. Nothing was addressed. I attempted to contact corporate after the cruise, but none of my contact attempts were returned or even acknowledged. NCL is the absolute worst cruise line in existence. They're criminal.

Donna of Lakewood, CO Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

The spa and the spa personnel are made up of very nice sharks! These ladies and Doctor offering services are trained to do one thing, SELL, SELL, SELL. They don't have any moral compass to take into account a person's mental capacity or medical conditions. Our family took a cruise to Alaska. Our 87 year old mother had her own cabin, is very capable at home to live alone, but as most older individuals, when in a completely different surroundings as a cruise is with the confusion of crowds, different levels and so much maneuvering to do just to get from place to place gets a bit overwhelmed.

Our mom visited the spa for a consultation, none of the family was aware of her appointment or we would have accompanied her, during her "CONSULTATION" she was basically talked into an injection procedure on parts of her face... At 87 YEARS OLD!!! None of the family was aware of this until we noticed swelling and redness in her face, with much concern and going through some hoops (after hours) I was able to get the information of what had been done, what to do for her reaction and set up an appointment to meet at the spa the next morning. Here's the kicker... The treatments that she was talked into cost nearly 4,000.00. Talking with mom she really did not understand the enormity of the cost or even what the injections were.

At the appointment the next morning, she arrived early, and they hustled her right in, before I arrived, so when I arrived at appointment time she was in the waiting area. They had done a follow up like we discussed the night before on the phone, but, had the gall to try to sell her more injections!!! Thankfully she refused, based on her reaction the first treatment. The family spent our last final day of the cruise trying to resolve the problem directly with the spa, multiple meeting, filling out forms for them to send to their headquarters etc, to no avail, the spa accepted no responsibility for TAKING ADVANTAGE OF A SENIOR with questionable decision making skills. THIS IS A FORM OF ELDER ABUSE.

Once we were unable to resolve it through the spa, we went directly to the cruise line, jumping through more hoops we were forced to aggressively pursue the ships highest management, (only the captain would be next and we would have go to him too if need be). More upsetting conversation and explanations took place and we were required to meet with spa management, the Doctor, cruise management ourselves and our mom in her cabin as she was continuing to recover. The meeting in cabin was like a gang up on our mom, MORE ELDER ABUSE, she already felt bad enough for not understanding the contract or the cost of the procedure that she received, now they were making her feel almost stupid of the fact and showing her where she signed this and where she initialled that.

She does not remember a number/price being in the area she initialed, I would hope it was not added later, we will never know. I should also mention that on this form/contract they produced one of the questions was if she is under a doctor's care, she answered yes, however the "Doctor" that directly questioned her, then sold her, and did the injections, never followed up any further on what she was being seen for. It is our position that this so called doctor should have been able to recognize, confusion, hearing disabilities and environmental surrounding that would and did affect the ability for our 87 year old mother to make a proper decision.

It would have been better for everyone to end the CONSULTATION as a consultation, give the client time to think about what was discussed and potentially seek advise from those he or she would confided in, but this is not the practice because of the pounce! Get the sale, get it now, later may be too late attitude. In the end and only after the cruise line intervened they offered to spit the cost to 50%, several of our party did not want to settle, wanted to take it further after we all returned home, but we agreed that we already had the last day of our cruise ruined over this grievance. We were busy all that last day on ship making sure our mom was physically & emotionally ok and many of us were consumed with finding a solution, we collectively decided that enough was enough, cut our losses, and be thankful the physical effects weren't more severe.

During our time in the spa waiting are we witnessed many times older persons leaving the spa and being offered receipts upon check out, as with my own mom, I overheard staff just fluffing off what the person was signing, saying odd things, just encouraged signing, never ever discussing the cost of what was being signed for. I "luckily" arrived at the spa one day early on our cruise, and found my mom at the counter discussing appointments, she was very confused, the spa was basically try to set her up with multiple appointments for different services that they offer. Not only were the ladies talking to her often at the same time, many have accents that are hard for many of us to understand, they spoke very fast, there is background noises, so this along with the fact that most elders do have hearing loss, hearing aids all complicate the ability to comprehend fully what is being discussed.

I was able to interject and put a stop to the aggressive selling practices that the spa personnel use. Anytime I would bring up this practice I would just get a "that's the business" type of response, they have become so used to this type of hard sell that it is normal and nothing seems to be outside of the moral compass. Several other members of our group had similar hard sell tactics when getting a massage, only they were able to decline what they did not want. Lesson learned: We should have supervised her more perhaps, but we did not think that she would ever be taken advantage of like this on the cruise line, at home maybe, by scammers yes, etc, and we have had plenty of those conversations with all of our aging parents, we just expected more professionalism in this situation.

I will say that I did have the spa package allowing me to arrive whenever open and use the private spa as often as I choose to, and I found this to be very pleasant and relaxing, many time having the room to myself. So for that I would give a 4-5 star review but for the other practices of the spa the rating would be in the WARNING ELDER ABUSE range, by the way I doubt they would have done any of these practices on a teenager that was not 18 years old due to ability to consent as an adult or ability to pay!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Anne of Tavernier, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

My wife and I are now Platinum Latitudes members of NCL so, we are very familiar with your company. We have also traveled extensively with other cruise lines. This past week my wife and I had our single most disturbing cruising experience on the Norwegian Escape. We returned to our cabin and went to sleep Tuesday evening November 14th. At approximately 11:30 pm, we were awakened by very loud music. Immediately, we assumed that one of the passengers had turned up their TV a bit too loud.

At 12:15am, when the music actually got louder, I decided to see exactly where the music was coming from. I discovered "The Supper Club" was being used as a venue for NCL employees to have a late night party. All party goers were in full uniform including their name tags. I returned to my cabin and called guest services and spoke with an employee named Henderson; I kindly requested the volume be turned down a bit as not only was the music loud, the pounding of the bass on the ceiling above our heads was quite intense. About 15 minutes later, an employee identifying himself as Jake, arrived at my cabin door. I again explained the situation, he acknowledged he too could clearly hear the loud music. I asked Jake to do something about the situation and he was unresponsive.

By 1:30am, the music and the party was still going strong all the while the volume was never even slightly turned down. I again called down to guest services and spoke with Henderson. I was extremely angry and expressed my dissatisfaction that nothing had been done in over an hour’s time about the volume of the music. I let him know that he was my contact person, I would hold him responsible for his inaction. It is important to know that passengers in the neighboring cabins were also disturbed by the volume of the music as I could hear them knocking on the walls. At exactly 2:00am the music stopped. Again, it is important to reiterate that at no point was the volume ever decreased.

At 9:00 am the next morning, I called guest services and they were not aware of any event taking place at The Supper Club after the last show. I was referred to the Restaurant Manager Tanberg **. I called Tan and confirmed that yes he was in charge of the venue. Tan informed me that I was actually the second call that morning complaining about the music. He told me that I had called the correct person and that he was in charge of that venue but he had no prior knowledge of the event that took place the prior evening in The Supper Club. Later, I spoke directly with a number of the employees who had attended this party. They advised me this is a monthly event held by the ship's Cruise Director for the employees. Each month the party runs from 9:00pm until 2:00am. The music is loud, the liquor is free as the uniformed participants as one employee stated: "...let off some steam."

Reflecting upon the events of those early morning hours, it is unbelievable to me that the corporate culture of NCL is so decentralized, that a 2-year-old, $700 million dollar ship can be commandeered by its employees without the knowledge of those in charge, (as Mr. Tanberg ** stated to me during our phone conversation). But, more importantly, the well-being and sleep of the passengers, the paying customers, is placed behind that of the employees.

Clearly, all involved went to great lengths to cover for fellow employees. Ignoring pleas for peace and quiet in the early hours of the morning so that their fellow employees could party through the evening. We were assigned to cabin number 5445, directly below The Supper Club. There are at least 50 or more cabins in this same area. How sad that we, along with so many others were treated in such an egregious, ingratiating manner. Our view of NCL as a company has clearly changed. Again, the paying guests truly do come second to the crew on the Norwegian Escape.

Carol of Fords, NJ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

We have been on 4 NCL cruises and they all have been wonderful. We always book thru a travel agent so they usually take care of payments and we never had a problem. The staff has been very friendly and very helpful. Each time we cruised with different people and no one ever had a problem. I do agree the big boats are very crowded. I prefer the smaller boats. Just think going thru travel agent is the best option.

Michael of Venice, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Our cruise group booked and paid for a cruise on the Jade, departing Miami 11.27.2017. The itinerary was changed due to the hurricane damage, and NCL unilaterally substituted a cheaper cruise with a less desirable itinerary. When we requested a refund or at least an adjustment in the substantial difference in cost, they flatly refused. Followup letters have been ignored.

NCL has a bad reputation for its inflexible refund policies, but this recent behavior is blatantly dishonest and unethical. People considering a cruise should be aware that there is financial risk in doing business with NCL. We are experienced cruisers and can tolerate an occasional bad meal or lapse in service, but deliberately cheating people is an entirely different matter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?

Farianne of Jamaica, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I don’t recommend this cruise line to anyone! Be warned. They take your money and if there is any issues they don’t want to accountable for it. It’s my first time reserving a cruise with them! Totalll nightmare. They charged my account over 1700 dollars and they said they never received it, then I was told that they had a payment processing problem. To make a long story short I had to take matter in my own hands and ask my bank to reverse the payment! So I can make the reservation with them again. I was promised a compensation for all this nonsense and was never reached out and never upgraded to another level. I don’t recommend this cruise line to no one. 0 stars.

Kitty of Edinburgh, Other Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

We've just come back from the Norwegian Gem. One of the propellers broke so we could not make it back to New York on time. They had to fly us back from Barbados to New York - no information was given and service desk knew nothing. 6 pm on Thursday get a letter through the door to say "leave your suitcase out by 10 pm and you have to do immigration at 2 am"!?! We had flights on Saturday and it did not mention anything about hotel or transportation. Get to guest services and the line is a mile long. An hour later told "You will get a hotel" but couldn't tell me where.

Then spent the next 2 hours frantically packing and trying to dry wet swimwear and filling in immigration forms. Was I able to enjoy my last evening? Most definitely not especially at the prospect of having to get up at 1 am for immigration. 2 am hundreds and hundreds of people herded like cattle in an area with no organisation - nowhere to sit for the elderly. Same at 3.30am disembarkation. Absolute chaos.

At the airport waiting in line for over an hour to check in - it's hot and again even though some of the elderly are not needing walking sticks they were made to stand in line for a long time without so much as a bottle of water. For a 7am flight we did not take off until 9.30am. At Newark airport we waited 3.5 hours for our luggage! No NCL representative to be seen. By this point travel was 16 hours with no sleep. We get herded out to buses. NCL put us on the hotel bus. By the time we got to the Crown's plaza the representative said we were sent to the wrong hotel and had to check each individual that took almost 1.5 hours to get the right hotel. Representatives were rude and gave attitude. By this point 18 hours of travel, no sleep, no food or water provided for 8 hours. NCL do not look after their customers!!! Cruise at your own risk!

H. U. of Beverly Hills, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

This cruise was a dream come true! The staff, my room, the itinerary, the food, the entertainment, and the excursions, all exceeded my wildest expectations. I met lovely people and enjoyed all the activities especially the gym. My itinerary included Russia, Berlin, Estonia, all fascinating! I can't wait to cruise again and highly recommend.

Angela of San Diego, CA Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I put together a group of 35 people totally 13 staterooms for a Hawaiian Cruise. We all wanted to spend Thanksgiving together and chose this trip to do it with. I chose NCL because we have had several successful trips with them and felt this would give everyone the most flexibility. Since we haven't taken the cruise yet, I can't comment on that. My complaint is with their Group Sales Department.

We were assigned a salesperson named Dawn, I started my journey with Dawn in October of 2016. I told her my goals and asked what I needed to do as the group coordinator to make all those goals happen. She talks a lot, she talks over you too. We would talk about oranges on the phone, then I would receive an email about apples. Following her was difficult. I brought this up with her and she had a ton of excuses, her computer failed, her emails were deleted. She didn't receive that voicemail, etc... I even told her at one point that I didn't think we were a good fit and I should probably work with someone else. She convinced me that all the electronic issues were repaired and she would make this easy for me.

I finally fired Dawn when I found out she misrepresented things. I spoke with her Supervisor Joelle, who assigned Paula to our group. It was made clear on the phone and in emails that I did not want Dawn working me or my group AT ALL from that point on. I was assured that would not happen. I continued to receive emails from Dawn, where I replied to her to stop communication with me and go speak to her supervisor. Paula assured me AGAIN, that Dawn was overstepping and that she had been instructed CLEARLY she is no longer working with me and my group.

TODAY, Dawn called one of my guests and was discussing arrangements for her stateroom. I LOST MY MIND. I got on the phone and told Dawn AGAIN, that she is not to communicate with my group. She stated that she was working with Paula helping out with my group and she was only answering phone messages left for her. I called Paula who now is upset with me and told me that I just seem to be angry and done with NCL and that they can't make me happy. I wasn't upset since Paula took over, until today. I feel that this department is just paying me lip service until this cruise is over. Either way this department is managed horribly and their employees do what they want.

Either Joelle has told Paula to pretend to be working with my group and Dawn is still in the background doing her 20% job. Which would mean that Joelle and Paula have flat out lied to a customer who brought in 35 paying guests. OR Dawn is an employee that refuses to listen to authority and does as she pleases. Which means that Joelle allows her employees to go against a directive, and again this leads to horrible service and customer disappointment.

THE WORST part of this whole thing is that I have called their guest relations department and they will ONLY escalate my complaint and the call to Joelle, no one above her. They told me I could call corporate, but they will just refer it back to Joelle. So ZERO RECOURSE for an unhappy customer. You have nowhere to go. So if you are trying to book a cruise for a large family, think twice about this company. They don't care how much business you are bringing in, they just do whatever they want.

helene of Boca Raton, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Having had the pleasure of cruising 49 times, I should have known better. The food with poor quality, the ship needs an experienced chief housekeeper that knows what and where to look and direct their people, I experienced dirt under the bed that was obviously more than 1 week's accumulation; mold in shower corners, etc.

Tina of Loomis, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

This was our eighteenth cruise, mostly with NCL. We have thoroughly enjoyed our trips. On our last trip we sailed on the Norwegian Sun October 5, 2017. It was a great trip. I wish for you to thank Alexander **, a server in Seven Seas restaurant. He was a kind, hard worker with a great personality, and always had a smile on his face. He did an awesome job getting us through a quick dinner one evening so we could get to the early show in the Stardust Theater. In my opinion, he has the skills necessary to work in a large corporate environment, and I would recommend him for promotion.

There are two folks we dealt with in Guest Services whose personality and efficiency are noteworthy. Natasha ** and Amanda ** both were very competent in answering questions and adept at solving problems. One left with a distinct feeling of being in very good hands after dealing with them. Lastly, I want to comment on the competence of Brian, Hotel Director - not that NCL isn't well aware of his capability! I went to him the last day of the cruise with a question that had stumped some of his subordinates; he provided the information within minutes!

Maria of Nashua, NH Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I booked a cruise for 6 back in August 2016 for June 2018. In early September I had to cancel one of the rooms, it was clearly marked if I cancel before 03/20/2018 I will get full refund of the deposit. It's been month and a half and 3-4 very long calls with absolutely no results, no ownership, everyone recites the same thing - they will process the refund and I will get it in 10 business day, and same excuses - they can see it but it's pending and so on. At this point I'm not sure if it's worth my time, but they clearly miss the boat with customer service and customer experience! Too bad the people working on the ships are doing their best for the bureaucrats on the phone to ruin this company's reputation!

Susan of Brooklyn, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I liked the fact they were casual and that we didn't have a set time for dinner. The ship was very clean and the food was good. We ran into some terrible storms and had to change course, but the crew was great, very accommodating. There was always something to do and they put on some wonderful shows. I also liked the fact I could get on the ship without having to fly to pick it up. If I could take another cruise it would be with NCL.

Denise of Portland, Oregon Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We had reservations for Alaska for September 2018. They informed us that the ship was being sent elsewhere and that the cruise was cancelled. We were given our deposit back or you had the option to book another cruise. This was something we had been planning with friends for several months. Just recently a couple of people did not get the email and were checking on the cruise and behold NCL had a new ship going to Alaska and these people were able to book the original trip.

Lenore of Dunedin, Florida Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

This cruise was to Alaska, and I have cruised with this same company to Europe. My family and I enjoyed the food, entertainment, and overall aspects of the cruise. The staff were all very accommodating. The ship was well kept and clean. I would cruise with this line again.

Glen of Riverview, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My wife and I just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Norwegian Escape. The ship was extremely clean and everyone was like family. We have no complaints on this ship. We would recommended the dining package to all. Food was extremely delicious and well worth the price. Also we enjoyed the art gallery and action. Loved it and plan on sailing again with Norwegian. Thanks to all.

farique of Ruwi, Other Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

We had booked a suite (#10002) vide booking # ** with a deck/balcony at the front of the ship. Unfortunately the suite was right under the bridge. We were forced to keep the door of the suite closed and even the curtains drawn after sunset. This was a safety requirement since the light from the stateroom reflected on the bridge and impaired crew's visibility. During daytime when we stepped on the deck/balcony, we were conscious of the fact that we were clearly visible to those on the bridge, also the constant movement on the bridge reverberated in our stateroom, day and night disturbing us. These issues restricted us from utilizing the features in the stateroom which cost us more than USD 5250.

It is very unfortunate that NCL was not honest and forthcoming on their booking website of these restrictions imposed on residents of the stateroom. Very clearly we felt cheated having spend such a vast sum of money and not being warned about the stateroom restrictions. We requested the Concierge and then the Guest Relations Manager to swap our room with a more suitable one of equivalent value. However we were informed that there were no cabins available. We requested for restitution for the inconvenience cause to us. But unfortunately no such gesture was forthcoming. We also informed the Captain of the ship about our predicament. But he did not assist in mitigating our concerns.

We strongly feel that we have been cheated of the pleasure of this cruise by NCL by not informing us at time of booking on their website about the restrictions and disadvantages of our booked stateroom. We wish to claim a full refund from NCL for their willful misconduct and unprofessionalism. We await confirmation from NCL that our claim is accepted and full restitution will be provided to us. Thank you.

Madelyn of King George, VA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I am scheduled to cruise out of NY Dec 15th 2018 on the breakaway. I was told I was emailed a letter stating how the breakaway is no longer leaving from NY and that I can change my reservations BUT pay the going rate! My husband and I are both very upset. Been to two cruises with Norwegian, We tell everyone we know about Norwegian yet we have to pay MORE to be put on a boat in Dec leaving NY. I feel the 3 cabins that were booked for the price we were quoted should be honored if not in Dec 2018 then At least July or Aug 2018 going to Bahamas at our current rate that we have booked. I understand if the increase was like $100 per cabin due to Norwegian changes.

Remember this change is on you all not us as cruisers. I have 3 cabins booked and had more people lined up to book with you all. Smh yet all I am being told is you can change your cruise BUT pay the current rate! UNREAL, UNFAIR. This is absurd to me. To treat me and my family like this - my grandmother who cruises often with them!

Adelina of Brooklyn, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Just came back from Breakaway. Not only was the service horrible, I was stuck in the emergency hospital on the boat because of the food poisoning. After over $1500 bill and many unnecessary tests, they released me to go home. I tried calling the customer service today to deal with the medical reimbursement to find out that they only cover after my medical insurance refuses to pay, meanwhile, I am out of that money. I am waiting on my medical insurance to deny so I can submit to their medical insurance.

Lastly, I called to have the service charges removed because we tipped who we wanted to separately and don't think that they deserve this money, to only learn that I had to do it on the boat, meanwhile I was so sick I couldn't do it. Their customer service sucked so badly. I submitted a form to guest relations to again wait for another 15 days to hear back. When I asked for a supervisor on the phone, I was told bluntly that no one is available to speak to me. Horrible... I've traveled with NCL multiple times but this was by far worst experience. Never again...

Ron of Vancouver, WA Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I've got a cruise scheduled out of Puerto Rico in a few weeks. Hyatt canceled my reservation due to damages. I can't find a hotel that can guarantee they'll be open when I arrive (2 days prior to departure), I begged NCL to reschedule me on another NCL cruise out of a different port. They said no. The country is devastated & they don't care. I have no place to stay for 2 days and they said sorry, that's the way it is. No understanding, compassion, etc. They refuse to try & help with a solution. Frustrated beyond words.

Joseph of Columbus, IN Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My wife and I took a cruise, September 19-28, on Norwegian Getaway Cruise Line. The staff was friendly and we had a great vacation. When I received my final bill there was a charge of $7.67. I went to customer service and they said the charge was for a beer. I explained to them that I nor my wife drink alcoholic beverages, we never have. Very politely they said it would be taken off my bill.

When I got home the charge of $7.67 was on my credit card, plus another charge. I called Norwegian, they said the other charge was for another beer charge on the last day of the cruise. So I got charged for two beers, plus I was lied to. Either someone got into my room and took two beers or Norwegian is creating a scam on their customers like Well Fargo did. I have one question for Norwegian Cruise Line, if you were me, would you book a cruise through Norwegian? I truly hope this is a mistake on Norwegian's staff and not a scam. If Norwegian corrects their mistakes and refunds my money for the two beers, I accept their apology. All I want is my money refunded.

Daryl of Palm Beach Gardens, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

We planned a trip to Cuba several months ago with a few friends. We chose Norwegian Cruise Lines only for the fact that their sailing schedule worked for us along with offering an overnight in Havana. On September 29, 2017 the US State Department issued a travel warning urging Americans not to travel to Cuba. Our Embassy there was not only flooded out and closed due to Irma, 60% of all diplomats and families were sent back to the US after experiencing mild brain damage from possibly a "sonic attack".

Both JetBlue and Carnival Cruise Line offered their booked customers a credit if they chose to cancel their travels to Cuba. Makes sense not to travel to a Communist country with no Embassy in place. After several days of being on the phone for 4-5 hours as we got passed along the chain, we still received the same basic reply - use it or lose it. We repeatedly told them we don't want our money back but rather place us on a different ship. We offered to pay a change fee and most of the other sailings would have cost quite a bit more. It is obvious which companies care about their customers experience and satisfaction and then there are those that do not.

Tony of Orangevale, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

The small amount of $27.02 was added to my account after I left the Norwegian Jade for minibar use. They did not respond to my email request for an email verification that they have credited my account for this amount. Both my wife and I have platinum status with this company. There were 10 bottles of spirits when we arrived and 10 when we left. I'm not accusing anyone but someone has added these charges after I left the ship. My wife and I both had the ultimate beverage package, consumed all of our drinks from the bars and did not drink anything out of the minibar in the stateroom. I have also opened an investigation with my bank concerning this overcharge.

R. of Grayslake, IL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I already had my cruise booked and tried to add an excursion. There was a problem with them accepting my credit card for the excursion even though same went okay for entire cruise. I am guessing this was because I tried to book this on a computer that was not mine and maybe this is a red flag to the credit card companies.

Next I received multiple emails from NCL all of which contradicted each other. Some emails said the excursion was booked okay. Others said that it was not. I called NCL to try to clarify and if there was in fact a problem to try giving my credit card manually over the phone to them. They said that there was still a problem. I said, "Okay, I am happy to take care of it but why are you sending contradicting emails?" Their customer service reps frequently used words/phrases such as "maybe, probably, possibly, could have, perhaps, I don't know." I lose all confidence in what I am hearing when this happens as I imagine most people do. Anyway their rep could not help me understand the contradicting emails from them but did take my credit card and said it went through okay and that my excursion was now booked.

I asked then why does your website say still that I have not pay after I logged out and logged back in. The rep was unable to help and put me on hold for 20 minutes to find someone else to help. In the meantime the site did clear okay so apparently the site just needed time to refresh. However it was frustrating that their customer service is not trained well enough to be able to communicate this and gave me the impression that something may still be wrong.

So now I think the problem is taken care of. However the fun has only begun. Next I get an automated call from them with a machine voice telling me that my payment for my entire cruise is past due and that they are going to cancel my cruise! Website says I am okay. Their customer service reps say I am okay. Automated machine NCL voice says that I am a bum who is not paying my bills and they will cancel my cruise for it. I call again to talk to someone to try and get it clarified and again get what seems to be the standard for NCL customer service reps, a lot of words and phrases like "I think, maybe, supposed to be, I don't know, probably, might, etc." Ultimately I am just trying to find out if they are going to cancel my entire cruise over some confusion over a $29 excursion! Their customer service told me that they thought the machine was wrong and they everything the rep saw appeared to be okay.

Zero confidence instilled in me through the way this was presented especially after their unwarranted nasty phone call to me! I asked for someone who could help me, perhaps a manager and I was abruptly put on hold and left to sit there for about 15 to 20 minutes. Finally someone got on who immediately started with a condescending tone towards me telling me they don't have time to call customers so that's why a machine does it. Not only was tone condescending, but this so-called manager completely missed the point. My issue is not about a machine or human calling me. My issue is about being told my whole cruise will be canceled because I have not paid when in fact I had. I shortened this a little for the sake of not having this review go on forever. To say it briefly, this "manager" continued in a condescending tone citing that they are "a big corporation" and this is how "big corporations" do things.

Ultimately this "manager" said that I had nothing to worry about that my cruise is all set. I said, "You tell me I have nothing to worry about after getting a threatening automated phone call from you that my cruise is going to be canceled." Now even the manager starts using the classic NCL customer service phrases such as: "That probably won't happen," "I think everything is okay", "This shouldn't happen." Again phrases which give zero confidence and after you start hearing them time and time again from multiple customer service reps it becomes quite clear that they really don't know what is going to happen.

I truly hope someone within NCL real level of management reads this and decides they have a real problem in their organization. At this point all I can do is hope that they are not canceling my cruise due to some mistake they have made. I can say with absolute certainty that I will not go on another cruise with them. I will look to their competition. There has to be a cruise line who has their act together better and does not address their customers in a condescending manner. Also for your reference all customer service reps I spoke with refused to give out their name so that I could in any way reference the phone calls that I had with them. This is absolute bottom of the barrel customer service.

Linda of Palm Beach Gardens, FL Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Trip to Cuba - Hurricane Irma created flooding and destruction in Havana. I live in Florida and also suffered damages from Irma. No power until a few days right before the cruise. Needless to say these two problems necessitated me to request a cancellation or rescheduling of the trip. NCL replied with "The port is open and we are sailing." No refund no reschedule. Since then I have learned that there is fungus mold and bacteria from the streets that were flooded. The seas were still turbulent as the hurricane was still moving north. I will never use NCL again.

Amanda of Ringoes, NJ Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I had a cruise booked to leave San Juan, PR on Nov 26th and returning on Dec 3rd. The cruise was going to a group of islands. All but one of the islands was impacted by Hurricane Maria as well as San Juan, PR. I called to cancel, not because I wanted to but because I HAD to due to the hurricane. The island is devastated and they do not plan on getting power back up for about 6 months. St. Maarten was another island we were going to which is also ruined and needs multiple months to rebuild. When I called to cancel through Expedia, NCL told them to follow the schedule of cancellation fees, so when I cancelled my cruise I lost about $1100 due to a HURRICANE, a NATURAL DISASTER that required me to cancel, not because I felt like it but I still lost a large amount of money back. Not to mention this is my honeymoon, both Expedia and NCL have not been helpful at this time and I need my money back. Please help.

valarie of Leander, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Where do I begin? Hurricane Harvey. I have a trip to go to US Virgin Island, British Virgin Islands, and the Bahamas. As of now I don't see that happening. We have called multiple times to see about just pushing our travel dates out or getting a credit for future sail dates. Nope!!! Norwegian says, "No. Can't do that. We will let you know where you will be going." They say more than likely the Western Caribbean. Are you ** kidding me? I did not want to go to Mexico period. That's why I chose the Eastern Caribbean.

I don't want to take my 2 small kids there. I don't feel safe anywhere in Mexico. There is too much ** that happens over there. These ** are telling me I will have no choice. Either travel where they say or lose $1600+ at this point. This is pathetic. Not mine or no one else's fault a hurricane happened. These jerks should give customers the option of sail date or another destination of their choice. They already have right at $2800 from my family. This was to be the first time to sail with Norwegian. It will be the last. Talk about ** customer service. I work in customer service and I would never make someone do or go somewhere they don't feel safe.

I have talked to reps multiple times and same answer. It is in writing we have the option to change ports at any time. Damn crooks. Get your money and can't accommodate you. I spoke with one rep and let her know that if I am forced to go to the Western Caribbean I will blow Norwegian up on social media with bad reviews. She tells me, "I hope you don't mean blow us up at Norwegian." I told her, "You heard what I said. Blow Norwegian up on social media."

So much for that morons listening skills. She was supposed to be a supervisor. All I can say is so far you and your company suck ass. People pay good money to take a cruise where they want and it's your discretion where to change it. I will not recommend anyone to book with Norwegian or any travel agents to book thru them. I will be posting on any and all social network areas.

Rasha of Dubai, Other Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

We took the mini-suite with a balcony view. The cabin gets tidied up twice a day but poorly cleaned, the sheets felt itchy and horrible and the toilet smelled. Our package was full beverages but they don't tell you that they serve the worst coffee ever and if you wish to have the one that is drinkable, you need to pay full price on board, this, of course, extended to many other beverages, including water.

The restaurants that were included in the package were of the poorest quality or with a cantine-like interior, it really felt like you were in a hospital or a public arena sitting there. We ended up having to pay additional amounts just to dine in the other restaurants which were not included and they were all steeply overpriced. My husband got sick during the last two days and we had to wait till 6:00 pm for the medical center to open, (they only open from 6-7:30 pm) and if you have an emergency you will pay extra to be admitted outside the one hour and a half!! The doctor's diagnosis was that he contacted a virus very common in cruise lines. You would expect the cruise line to have the decency of not charging you for medical care to a condition inflicted by the cruise but we were astonished to find out we were billed $195 for the check up and medication!

The excursions time span was too short to enjoy any location, some times it was barely 5-6 hours. The most infuriating was when we landed in Mykonos at 7:30 am!! What shops, restaurants or car rentals would be open at 7:30 am?? And how much of Mykonos would you be able to see when you have to return at 3:30 pm. This trip was basically a total ripoff, for the quality and service we received. Very disappointed.

Brian of Brooklyn, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

The Norwegian Breakaway is one of the largest ships I have ever seen, primarily used to store as many people as possible without thinking about amenities for the ~4000 people living in a floating hotel. It is such a shame for Norwegian that I created a ConsumerAffairs account just to write a review on what a terrible experience I had. Norwegian Cruise Lines is a cruise company that will only care about business, business, business. No fun, fun, fun. They even had an entire seminar that was broadcasting on all of its TVs on port shopping at Bermuda. They will try to lure you to buy diamonds from a company that is probably run by Norwegian, eat rum cakes at a tourist trap factory while watching glass blowing shows, and tell you to avoid major city areas because there is "nothing to see." Shore excursions are also a big joke.

Book a private tour instead of a real one, because prices on private tours turned out to be cheaper than the one Norwegian gives. Their tax and duty free shop called Tradewinds is quite a shop. Raffles is always popular around the area. One particularly amusing raffle was for a Bella Perlina charm bracelet which was literally on sale across the deck for $20 for something that was only cover silver (i.e. silver that is probably layered over a nonprecious stone). There was also an event on our last sea day where t-shirts (by the way, they were terrible quality shirts) were 4/$20. Must buy 4 for $5/shirt or else it's retail price, $16.95. The salespeople eventually sold them for $5/shirt without the minimum when everyone else paid for the shirts. The biggest ripoff on Norwegian is their so-called "professional photography crew." There are at least 30 photographers on board, thirty.

Their "professional portraits" are $149 for 10 photos. They seem to pressure you into taking pictures with people in dolphin suits like the ones you see in Times Square. I would rather take a selfie with many people instead of paying over $100 for "professional" photos. I've seen passengers bring cameras that are more expensive than the ones Norwegian uses. Just go to one of the photo booth areas around Deck 7 and take a picture there. They're free, and the borders look nice! Disembarkation is a nightmare. Norwegian has a luggage tag system where people with certain tag colors can disembark only at a certain time. They want to look organized; they are far from organized.

It seems as the earliest people who self-disembark (bring their bags with them) are often mixed with people who disembark "regularly" (crew does it for them and the luggage is held somewhere around the cruise terminal), and people do skip the lines and jump in front of you. I don't know if people are just not awake or something, but there are never any confrontations. In the Breakaway, they utilize the casino as a way of line control, but they fail to mention that the aft lobby is the worst place to go down from.

The lines start from the forward lobby, wrap around the only remarkable decoration the Breakaway has, the semi-spiral staircase in the 678 Ocean Place (which is also a popular point for "professional" pictures), into the casino, towards the aft lobby, then back around to the forward lobby where the officers process you out. Oops, I meant officer, as in a singular officer checking at least 4000 people out of the ship. Moral of the story? You pay for something that you will never get- fun. I have never been so glad to come home from what seems to be a hell-hole of a cruise.

STACEY of Summit, NJ Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Was issued a $24 Credit because of cruise change from Western Caribbean to Eastern Caribbean due to are on Harvey. Wasn't given the option of refund or another cruise. Been to Eastern Caribbean. Was looking forward to Western Caribbean. Would like at least $500 back. Very disappointed.

Norwegian Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Norwegian Cruise Lines has been in business for over 48 years; it developed the concept of freestyle cruising, which means a relaxed dress code, that lets guests enjoy the cruise at unscheduled, individual paces.

• Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar: The Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar is a bar set in an arctic chamber; the walls, the bar and everything inside is made from ice.

• Waterfront: Norwegian's Waterfront is a quarter-mile deck where guests can walk and enjoy oceanfront views.

• Walk the Plank: Thrill seekers can experience walking the Plank, which is a narrow beam traveling 8 feet out over the water.

• Great Stirrup Cay: One of Norwegian's unique stops is the company's private island, where guests can explore and play in the shoreline.

• Broadway at sea: Norwegian Cruise Lines guests can take in exclusive Broadway shows while on board.

• Best for: The Norwegian Cruise liner is best for budget-conscious families and adults looking for a relaxed, less formal cruise experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs