Norwegian Cruise Lines

Compare Cruise Lines

Research top Cruise Lines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My family and I saved for a year to take a Norwegian cruise. Our ports of call were st Thomas Tortola and the Bahamas! We had all inclusive beverage packages and charged for wine with dinner. We never got our cabin cleaned the first two days and had to complain and keep requesting for it to be cleaned. They charged $10.00 extra for room service. Many items on the menus in the dining areas were an extra charge like steak and lobster. The buffet breakfast was so not palatable I couldn't eat it, the bacon tasted like it came from a sick animal, the other food was horrible. There was no service! You could not get a drink by the pool because there were not any servers!

We were told the night before we were supposed to dock in the Bahamas that the ship was unsafe to dock and we would be going back to Miami. For the inconvenience they gave everyone a $50 state room credit! That is the biggest slap in the face. We paid over $4400 dollars for this vacation we will be missing 1/3 of it and you want to give me 50$ per cabin? Last time I checked I paid per person not per state room! Then next for the staff to tell us the ship is "unsafe" not okay!

The shows on board were by reservation only and were completely booked up by experienced cruisers within the first 34 hours of being on the ship! The pool decks filled by 9 am with tons of no one in lawn chairs just towels hold spots all day! The adults only area had no pool just one tiny hot tub! Little kids frolic in all the hot tubs splashing and doing handstands it's so gross and annoying! They are wearing swim diapers, not my scene! The bartenders are rude and the other staff were rude just plain miserable! The photographer told my son to "try not to look so deranged." What does that mean!! They charge you an additional 13.50 per person per day fee totaling 487$ for a family of 4 for cleaning! Cleaning that never happened! The room was filthy!

We went to a paid dinner all dressed up for the white party and our son's birthday and my husband after we were seated was told he had to leave because he didn't meet the dress code. The rest of us could stay and have dinner just he needed to leave! His son was wearing the exact same outfit! When I asked for the manager they just stopped serving us! When I spoke with the hostess and pointed out men wearing tank tops, shorts, flip flops but they didn't have tattoos she wasn't asking them to leave! The truth was she wanted him to cover his tattoos! I told the hostess we would not be leaving and they would be serving us dinner! About 20 min later a man in a suit with a Norwegian badge walked past our table didn't say a word stared at us and then we were served our meal! Please please please do not ever take a Norwegian cruise! Carnival was excellent never had an issue! But Norwegian ruins my vacation experience!

On 18 December 2016 my brother and I were to depart the Port of Miami on the NCL Getaway for an eight day cruise. This cruise had been scheduled for almost a year and we had purchased the NCL Traveler's Cancellation Insurance from Aon Affinity. On or about 2 November 2016 I was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and immediately began chemotherapy. I notified NCL of my inability to make the cruise and was refunded all applicable fees within three days.

I contacted Aon Affinity, was told to go online and download claimant paperwork which I did, completed all paperwork and faxed it them on 9 December. Included with this was the chemo program, the radiation program to follow and finally a surgery that I would be going through then and the May 2017 time frame. The most important inclusion in the fax was the required letter from my Medical Oncologist physician stating that I was currently under her care and could not take the cruise. This was not good enough for Aon Affinity, who later sent an additional form to be completed and returned before payment would be submitted.

I am very angered and resentful that this group of insurance peddlers is withholding my payment even while in receipt of a physician generated letter on hospital letterhead with her personal signature stating I was currently under her care. This is a pathetic response from Aon Affinity and the Norwegian Cruise Lines should drop this firm and find a more customer friendly insurance company. I now have to go back to a very busy physician to gather meaningless data for Aon Affinity. The physician's letter should have been more than sufficient documentation.

I recently took a Christmas cruise with my family on NCL EPIC to the Caribbean. The cruise itself was great. After the cruise there were over 600$ in charges held on my credit card (common practice) that was informed to be released by the cruise line within 3-5 business days after my cruise. It has now been over 1 1/2 weeks and the charges are still pending and on hold. I called the cruise line and after over 35 min of hold time they informed me that my credit card was to blame that the card refused to release for 30 days. After speaking to my card (who were VERY helpful) they informed me that NCL has not ever called to release the hold. The card company offered to stay on the line while I called NCL back and they would stay on the line to talk with NCL and then release the charges.

After holding for another 40 min, the cruise line again blamed my credit card, refused to talk with them, refused to help me without me on the line. They offered to "do me a favor" and call the card company later and release the hold (note: I had the card company on the phone at the time). They wanted me to provide them with all of my credit card information (card number, security code and expiration date) over the phone so they could call as well. Again, Citibank was on the phone with me and NCL to clear up the hold - NCL refused to talk with them and continued to blame them for keeping the hold they had not yet lifted.

After a lot of arguments, I requested to speak to a manager, only to be told I was not allowed as there was not one available. I told them to put me on hold and find one. After multiple requests, I was put on hold and a manager came on 25 min later to inform me that he could call Citibank tomorrow to request the hold to be lifted. I again informed him that I had Citibank on the line... He hung up on me! This is the WORST customer service I have EVER experienced! I was looking into booking another cruise with NCL as the cruise itself was great.

After this experience, I will be more than happy to cruise at a bit higher costs with another carrier and avoid this runaround! This was RIDICULOUS! To top it off... There is NO email or contact number for complaints to their management anywhere, all the numbers go to the same place I have already talked to... BEWARE of sharing credit card information with NCL unless you are willing to have LONG pending holds on your funds.

I have traveled quite extensively and am a retired flight attendant. I understand mechanicals and unexpected changes. I have experienced many cruises and am so disappointed in the lack of customer service given by Norwegian. They have a problem with a propeller and cannot cruise the 25 knots that would be normal. The problem reoccurred in the mid-December sailing. The inconsistencies in compensation that were offered to the various sailing dates is unacceptable. They completely changed the itinerary from what was originally booked, and added another sea day. Three days in Thailand was the destination and reason the cruise was booked and that is what was completely removed with no option to cancel the cruise. There have been 3 revisions to the itinerary with the last one being just days before the ship actually departs.

I will never book another Norwegian cruise again. I didn't have a very good feeling initially when I called Norwegian to discuss booking this cruise. The indifference and attitude displayed was enough that I sought out a travel agency and booked the cruise through them. Norwegian has done nothing but point the finger at the booking agent for the lack of communication. They don't even own up to that. Such a frustrating experience. My mom who was accompanying my daughter and I broke her femur just two days before our departure to Singapore. I'm not even that disappointed in missing this cruise because I'm sure it is going to be a fiasco with so many disgruntled passengers. Thank Goodness for travel insurance.

Just finished my second NCL cruise. The first was great so I booked the second. The second was better in some ways (entertainment, dining options, bars) and worse in some ways (too crowded, small pool, limited outdoor seating and just average customer service and getting off the ship was the worst experience I have ever had cruising - took nearly 3 hours and can best be described as total chaos!). But I had a good time so I took advantage of their promotion on future cruise deposits which I was specifically told (because I asked) could be transferred to other people. So I paid 1000 and bought four future deposits.

A couple weeks later, I went to book a vacation for 7 involving three stateroom and through this process the future deposits were referred to as "coupons" and I was told "one coupon per stateroom". These deposits were never referred to as coupons when I purchased them nor are they on the website. On the website, in very small print at the very bottom if you keep scrolling, it indicates that after two **. I looked to find the two ** as how would anyone know to scroll all the way down. The two ** are next to the pay 250, get 100 promo but not the 1000, get 500 promo. At best, this is incredibly deceptive and a bait and switch. At worst, it is fraud.

So, thinking this would be a simple fix and an opportunity to further cement brand loyalty, I called NCL. Long story short, I talked to six people, was on hold the better part of three hours and was essentially told, "this is the policy". I direct messaged their Twitter account and received no response. I emailed guest relations and received no response. At this point, I am resigned to being a victim of trusting the face value of something and assuming that a company in the service industry is motivated to provide good service. Shame on me! Lesson learned. I will go on the cruise I booked but that will be my last trip on NCL. After reading other reviews here and on cruise critic (I wished I would have read prior), it seems like NCL engaged in many bait and switch, nickel and dime tactics and that customer service when it involves money is nonexistent. What a shame.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?

I, my wife, and our 10 year old son traveled the world last year. By late spring we were moving on from Africa and looking for economy, so we booked online with Norwegian to cruise the Mediterranean. We booked early, and booked cheap. As a result of our naivety we arrived on board and found our cabin was too small for three of us to stand up at same time. Norwegian Spirit is a striking ship at first glance, but closer up it is over 20 years old, and depending where you look, she shows her age. The most significant memory of our trip is that at least three times over 14 days Engine Exhaust was pumped into our cabin at night by the air handling equipment. George searched the hallways and decks in the wee hours each time looking for a source. In bringing it to the attention of the crew we experienced a good deal of stress.

First, "Guest Services" argued it was not possible. Then when they realized we were not being diverted, they sent a steward with an air freshener spritzer bottle to scent the room. (The floor above us was the day care "Kids Club" and we were distressed to learn that they frequently were "gassed" in the same fashion, but were forced to accept it.) Upon the third occurrence I held my ground with Guest Services at 3 AM, rejected their offer of another steward wielding an air freshener, and finally a uniformed "Engineer" appeared. By now I had discovered the cause appeared to be outside where the air intakes on the stack, under certain wind conditions, were drawing the discharge exhaust from the engine. I showed him what I thought to be obvious. The result was a meeting the next day with the Chief Engineer to discuss it, and a free steak dinner for the family. (The Kids Club has to fare for themselves I guess.)

The floor shows were not quite professional quality. Lounge Tables were dirty. Everywhere we turned on any deck a young staff member with antiseptic spritzers wanted to spritz our hands. Legionnaires disease was on someone's mind? Some of those cleaners should have been used on the furniture. We thought the kids' programs were very limited. Adult programs were more diverse, but there were several thousand adults compared to a bare dozen children on board. It was disturbing to enter the Kids Club to pick up our son and be greeted by the overwhelming smell of diesel exhaust. There may have been staff issues there. Our son complained of bad words and disrespectful behaviour from one particular staffer more than once. As a result we stopped using the Kids Club. In our naivety costs continued to surprise us.

I found the ship's staff included their addition of an automatic 15% gratuity on any and all expenditures. We found that both soda or liquor was an extra charge everywhere on board, but since we are light drinkers it was little importance. Eating in any but the main dining hall buffet is also expensive. I thought it slightly excessive to receive the following bill for one load of laundry; 1 pr jeans, 3 T-shirts, 6 pr underwear, 1 dress, 1 pr socks, 1 pajamas, 1 pr shorts, and 1 pr pants.

Total $95.00 + 15%. To have any of these items ironed would have been an additional $ 3.00 per item. Internet was $ 1.00 per minute, but there was little to complain about there since it seldom worked anyway. The ship arranged excursions were well promoted, but very pricey. We found all ship arranged tours ended in retail outlets at a pre-arranged times with a sales pitch for carpets, jewelry, pottery or whatever other local crafts were being pushed.

On occasions where we tried to get out without buying, there was a change in staff attitude, and even on one occasion in Turkey, angry words from the vendors. We frequently arranged our own tours, fended for ourselves, saved some money, and had a lot more flexibility and less pressure. From the discussions with other passengers and ship staff it seemed likely one reason the internet was mostly inaccessible was to dissuade you from arranging your own tours. Even with all the warning signs, at the end of our cruise we were surprised to find out that our bill for "extras" was larger again than what we had already paid for the cruise.

Otherwise, all staff were very friendly and usually helpful, unless if you needed to solve any issue outside their job description. Staff were eager to answer questions and reluctant to disappoint you. They tried to solve your issue at the moment, but it soon was apparent ship's rules restricted their ability to move issues up the command chain. Our schedule was kept, and the cruise ship system and procedures were easy to find and to adapt to. It was an interesting experience, a fast way to see a large number of places, but not to either see them well or experience any culture. We apparently aren't the Cruising types, but at least now we know that. Norwegian Spirit - Spring in the Mediterranean (A trip of a lifetime?)

Since September 2016 I have been booked for a cruise sailing on May 22nd from Miami on the Sky. I had booked this cruise using my free cruise voucher that I won earlier in 2016 while playing Bingo on a cruise to Bermuda. When I first booked the new cruise it was sailing to multiple islands in the Bahamas however in mid-December we received a notification of an itinerary change. The cruise was now stopping in Cuba, which I was more than happy about. Until I discovered something alarming a few days later when I logged into myNCL account online.

I noticed that it reported I had 0 cruises booked, which was alarming. Mostly because this cruise is also booked with another couple who will be joining us, so this issue not only affected my reservation, but also the couple we are going with. I contacted NCL on Tuesday, December 27th to resolve this issue. When I spoke to an agent I told them the issue and explained that the cruise was cancelled by mistake and that I’d like to get it resolved.

I was soon told that due to having the cruise voucher I would not be able to use it on this cruise any longer. The cruise that I already had fully booked for 4 months, fully paid all the charges and taxes, and also had another couple fully booked and paid with us. I was in dismay when I heard this and asked for an explanation. I was told that since the itinerary change, “reduced rates” are not allowed to book. I was given no other option than to just use my cruise voucher on another cruise.

Unfortunately another cruise will not work. We already fully paid for this particular cruise, including purchasing of plane tickets from MA to FL, which are nonrefundable. My major complaint here is that it does not state on my cruise voucher that certain cruises are not applicable. Specifically it states that “...and is good toward any cruise” and I assume that the cruise I booked falls under “any cruise”. It also does not state on the itinerary notification that certain booked customers may no longer be able to go on this cruise.

All I want in this matter is to get the cruise that I already fully planned back and to be able to use my cruise voucher. If this matter does not get resolved not only will NCL be losing my business, but also the business of the couple we are booked with, and any business we would have recommended in the future. Not only that, I will also be making sure to share this story with anyone that will read it. NCL fails provide any resolution and fails to produce actual documentation that states the claims they are making.

My thoughts on this whole matter is that since I was already fully booked and paid for on this particular sailing, I should not be held responsible for any changes that NCL makes to the itinerary after the fact. If anything, I should be “grandfathered in” to the sailing. Instead, NCL chose to cancel my cruise plans without any notification and without any care towards my fully planned vacation. I will never consider NCL again.

I opened an account with NCL, and was told that all fees will be transfer to the new account. The fees were transferred to the new account and also on my account on file. The fees still remained on my new account and my account on file. Why should a company hold your money up when the fees are placed on the new account. I was told this may take up to 30 days. A very dissatisfied customer!!!

We first called inquired about a cruise. I ask if which port is close. The young man said to me "I don't. You can look that up." Well 10 k for my family I asked him if could I was at work. He said no. I hung up. We use them one before and were a previous customer. Did ask for a discount, just a simple question which port is closer out of 2 port no 10.

After I hung up follow up from Alexander from call center call 2 times a day. He caught us at dinner and said "don't call me again." Hung up on him. He call repeatedly after 3 times in 5 mins. After I told to ** off he filled out car buy buying request from 3 dealerships in Florida with my name and phone number and the call 3 time each in 5 mins. Then it get worst. He call a place call, call spin and gives us a wake up 4 am. All these place confirm the were contact within 5 minutes of me telling to stop call my house and ** off after 3 calls. I will never use NCL again for free. He just call my home 844 am while I am typing this. His number is **. His other number he calls from many time is **. We going file police reports. Carlos his manager could give a crap. He is unprofessional and I would feel really bad giving credit card info to this set of people ever.

The ship looked inviting from the ads. That's where it ended. Out of 6 days, 4 were at sea with one port having been cancelled due to propeller issues. We were to meet with friends and Christmas shop in that port so the disappointment was huge. We were reimbursed $50.00 for the inconvenience, but that was like a slap in the face and insulting. Our second issue was with the entertainment, bands in particular. It was horrible and being at sea for 4 days having to hear them was not pleasant. I ranked them 2 star because we did like the "dine your way" experience and the food was good.

I just got back from the Norwegian Dawn on 12/4 16 left on 11/27/16... I am filing a suit against them for getting this and being so sick I thought I was going to die. I honestly cannot believe you actually sent me a letter saying you would give me a onboard credit for $150.00 when you ordered me to not leave my state room for the duration of my cruise. I was not allowed to get off the ship for the last 2 ports and the SEVERE pain I went through. I could not eat. I could not even hold my head up to watch TV. I lost 12lbs and was actually bleeding through my rectum because of all the Diarrhea and was so weak I could not even get up to make it to the bathroom and had to wear diapers.

The doctor told me I could have all the room service I wanted since he would not allow me out of the room but I was so sick I could not eat. My fever was extremely high the first time I went to Medical and the second day it was even higher and I was severely dehydrated that my Potassium was so low they had to give me IVS of Potassium and antibiotics also to help the Dehydration. They popped my vein trying to get the needle in. I can send you pics of all the bruises that were on both arms. I have never incurred so much pain in my life. The cramps were so bad I had to lay on the bed in a fetal position because of all the pain.

I honestly can say I have tried to work with you to make this right without having to involve others because I am a Christian and believe in doing the right thing. Offering me that was the biggest insult I think I have ever received. I have sent you this report to prove the test results that I got back from my doctor as soon as i got home.

The State also has called me and has done a report on this and said if I needed a copy they would furnish it to me. There were others also in Medical including a crew member so I am sure I was not the only one that got this. I am all about doing the right thing but it goes both ways. So it does not seem you are willing to give back what you have taken from me my vacation and my sister's since she could not leave me because I was in such bad shape crying in the bed. Which all of this was recorded including your staff being notified Thursday Morning what was going on and being told the Nurse would come and check on me since I was unable to get up. And then NEVER hearing anything from anyone until Friday Morning when I was in such bad shape they sent a wheel chair and a diaper so I could make it to Medical.

I am going to wait 24 hours to see if you will make this right since you say you never got the report but then I will pursue it with an attorney who I have already made contact with and is waiting on me to give him the go ahead. I will do whatever needs to be done to make this right because you cannot do this to people and respond the way you have and I can prove all of this because I had a witness with me 24 hours a day and I NEVER ate or drank anything that was off of your ship. I will also take a lie detector test to prove my honesty because I would never lie about something so dramatic. I will also send this letter to the Corporation and anyone else that needs to know because this is SO Wrong to treat people this way.

We were thrilled to be taking our first of many planned cruises on the Norwegian Escape. We left Miami, FL on Saturday, October 15, 2016 and returned Saturday, October 22, 2016. We were to dock at St. Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau. We booked 2 excursions, 3 specialty dinners, and paid for 3 shows. Our balcony room was lovely and Ge ** made us feel welcome and well taken care of. By Tuesday we were planning to book another cruise with your special offer. On Wednesday, we had breakfast about 9:00am. By 11:00am I was beginning to feel nauseous. We tried to find a place by the pool but were unable to. Larry went to lunch but by that time I didn’t feel like eating. By dinner time, the diarrhea and stomach cramps had begun. The vomiting and diarrhea lasted all night.

At 8:00am, my husband called for medical advice. A doctor and nurse arrived, gave me a shot to stop the vomiting and pills for diarrhea and vomiting. He then isolated me and quarantined us both. Our trip became a downward spiral of non-communication, miscommunication, and total lack of helpful information or care. We were given a sheaf of forms to fill out which were not collected until the following day. We were told our room could not be cleaned that day and Ge ** was locked out and unable to help us. I was asked for two samples of diarrhea and given 2 specimen cups, which was not collected until that evening after several calls and was told they only wanted one when they finally arrived. I was never asked about allergies or medication before I was given the shot or pills. The instructions were to call when I was symptom-free. I was told someone would check on me later that day. No one ever did.

After informing the nurse I was better, he told me that I could eat what I wished. After telling him that room service wouldn’t let me, he said to just request two meals for my husband. Room service would not allow it. At first our food arrived on china with a dome cover with cloth napkins and regular utensils. It soon would be delivered on paper with plastic wrap and packaged plastic utensils. Being stuck in a small room with no movie channels or music was also very frustrating. The communication during this time became contradictory, unhelpful, and practically non-existent. Guest services either didn’t answer at all or put us immediately on hold and then the system kicked us off and we had to start all over again. If we got through them to the infirmary, the whole process started again.

It took a minimum of 30-40 minutes to get through to room service and another 1 ½ hrs. to get a delivery. When the food arrived, it was often wrong or only partially completed and then 30 minutes later the rest would arrive. Sometimes doubled orders would come even later. When asked if we could leave the room because I was better, we were told we had to be quarantined for 48 hrs. after the symptoms were over. Not what we were told originally. (24 Hours) No one ever came to check me after they were told I had no more symptoms. Housekeeping finally showed up and only changed the towels and sheets which they took out in biohazard bags.

When asked when we were allowed to disembark, we were told we were to wait at least 3 hours after it began. My husband explained we had a time constraint, we were told we could leave at 8:00am and were asked for our room number. When my husband asked how and where, he was told the information would be given to us in a letter on our door. We received no letter or other information at all. Consequently, we had put out our bags without the tags we had not received or even knew about. I called at 7:20 to ask where we should go and was told to go to level 4. Needless to say, that was very wrong.

Being still worn out and weak from being sick, the next hour was a nightmare. We were told by everyone we asked to go somewhere else. We went back and forth from back to front and up and down on stairs that were packed with people. We were offered no assistance even after my husband explained (to every “official”) our situation. After finally being allowed to leave the ship, it turned out only one bag was in the non-tag group. It took another hour of kind custom officials (being passed up and up the ladder) to find our other bag.

Our first days were lots of fun. Both the “After Midnight” and “Oh What a Night” were phenomenal. However, we were unable to do or see the following that we had paid for: Dinner at Le Bistro, Dinner at La Cucina, Our scuba excursion on Nassau, The “Wine Lovers, a Musical” dinner and show, cruise meals, activities, and entertainment, Tortola or Nassau. As you can see, this was not the cruise we were looking forward to. Please let us know what you can do to make this right.

The NCL answer to the complaint was that there was nothing they could do because it was an act of GOD. Food poisoning is not an act of GOD it is a food preparation issue. After this first response we tried to understand how Norwegian could just say they were not responsible so we asked for clarification. Their second response was "We do understand that this was an unsettling situation for you and sincerely apologize for any distress you may have experienced; however, we must respectfully decline your request for compensation in this regard."

I later found out from the Center for Disease Control that 98 people were sick and over 200 quarantined. My husband was locked up and was never sick. (Interesting why he did not catch the virus) I was better in 24 hours but we were forced to stay in our room for 80 hours, with no contact to the outside world. We really feel NCL was responsible for destroying our vacation but their only response was not us, terribly sorry. We would love for you to try us again sometime. Anyone who cruises with NCL should have their head examined. All they care about is how many people they can put on their boat and how much money they can make.

I have sailed on NCL 15 times. It first started way back in 2000 when the Majesty existed and had a 7 day trip to Bermuda. It was popular, as many Bostonians love the convenience of sailing from their hometown. The ship was very old. It had many issues. NCL realized Boston was a great area to get their ship booked (and it was, always booked full), so they continued to repair it with duct tape and glue. At one point, they cut the ship in half in drydock, added 150 feet to the middle (all cabins), and set it back out for sailings, until it finally had to be taken out to the water for good. Essentially, it was not a safe ship to be on, especially during the last year at sea. I know, because I was on the Majesty from when it first started in Boston, until the last year of voyage. They replaced the Majesty with the Dream, Spirit, and now the Dawn. All of these ships are very old and have had many issues.

Because Boston still is NCL's biggest crowd, they do whatever they have to, to keep a ship constantly going back and forth to Bermuda, or occasionally, to Canada and New England areas. The Dawn recently underwent what they call a "major" overhaul. I've been on the Dawn before and after this so-called renovation. The ship may look quite different, but the serious problems still exist. Bathrooms overflowing, plumbing not working, ceilings leaking, rotted railings and balconies, pool area unsafe and seriously dirty. Over the past 16 years, I've sailed from Boston to Bermuda on all of their ships. During these years, I've seen NCL go down and down in serious chaos. The crew is overworked, as NCL keeps getting less and less of them to work on all of their ships. They now have less than half of the amount of ratio of passengers and crew. Less than half!

That means that they now ALL have to do twice as much work than they normally do, so many of them work a 12 hour day (which they always have done), but are also expected to do the work of two people. It's no wonder so many passengers are complaining about the service and attitude of the crew on all of their ships. I've known many crew members personally over the years, from waiters to entertainers to directors who all told me that the CEO's of NCL are making their lives miserable and often quite unlivable. I've seen many fired. I've seen many quit. I've heard stories that make me outraged. I've heard many that make me sick to my stomach and want to cry. NCL recently hired new CEO's because even their old CEO's quit.

In an attempt to save the company from going down in flames, they put out a huge advertisement about re-hauling all of the older ships and spending 3 million dollars to repair and make them shine. Unfortunately, 3 million dollars is no more than spit and polish for 5 ships to share that 3 million dollars worth of repair. And, they removed 150, 000 more crew from 2 of the smaller ships.

The overwhelming amount of negative reviews all over the web are not from simply disgruntled passengers who have nothing nice to say. Take mine and their advice seriously. This is a company who is never going to care about whether you enjoy taking a cruise with them. It is not limited to just the ships that sail out of Boston. Every ship has had far far far more negative reviews than positive. Every year the cost of cruising with them goes up 50 to 87 percent. That's 3 times more than any other cruise line, and they take in more revenue than any other cruise line by 92 percent!

They also have more lawsuits against them than any cruise line in history! The facts are what they are. Facts. The reviews of toilets constantly overflowing into the hallway mean these ships should not be on the water. Period. I'm doing the sensible thing and taking my hard earned money as far away from NCL as I can. I won't ever consider taking another cruise on NCL. Neither should you.

I had booked a group booking (a 5 year family reunion) to Hawaii with NCL. We have a total of 21 cabins booked varying from suites to ocean view berths. As fate would have it, my mother had to opt out of her trip due to medical reasons. We had advised NCL of these circumstances not asking for a refund but rather could we have someone take over my mother's cabin in replacement - an aunt of ours seeing it was during the Christmas period. I did not think this would have been an issue but I was very wrong. I was incredibly disappointed how NCL treated our circumstances with a simple NO answer - non-refundable - non-changeable policy. Just to follow policy, they certainly have lost all 51 of us as clients. I guess NCL must have forgotten that we do live in a digital world where we all have a voice.

Someone changed our Cruise package 2 weeks before our cruise from free Beverages to fancy meals without our knowledge or consent. NCL refused to change it back and lied by saying that it could not be changed back - 11 days into or 14 day cruise and with a US$1500 alcohol bill NCL finally agreed to do what they should have done on day one (and said they could not do) and changed it back and wiped our bill.

All too late as the stress (NCL senior management treated us like lepers, tried to get us to use the meals package, tried to get paid again for the beverage package and were rude arrogant and belligerent) caused me to come done with a serious case of shingles that I am still suffering from 2.5 months later (which they cannot deny happened as the ships hospital treated me and charged me US$1700). No apology from NCL not recognition of the stress they caused - they simply apply their policy of refusing to help and hope the client will eventually give up. My advice - avoid them. They appear to be on the verge of a major problem with gaining passengers given the increasing number of complaints.

I'm a cruiser since 1993. I have tried Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess cruises, and I love them and service. Here where the nightmare starts. I just arrived from the Norwegian Sun Oct. 14 to 28, 2016. It was awful. Room dirty and poorly taken care of daily. Guest desk service no customer manners at all.

Dinner menu awful and little variety. State room 7004 unfriendly. Broken and stain towels. My shampoo and soap dispenser empty for five times. Food portion very small. Activity very poor and shows also. Ship should be put to disuse already. And their hold activity program revise. I will never recommend this cruise line to anyone and I will never book one in my remaining days of my life.

We have a Caribbean cruise booked in about two weeks. Three days ago I received a letter saying they are skipping Great Stirrup Cay, their private island. This is one of the main reasons I selected this trip. I called about on-board credit or other compensation, waited, got bounced around and finally spoke to a Barbara, who said NCL "apologizes" but is not offering any kind of compensation for this change.

Like another reviewer, I feel sure they knew about it before they sent the letter. I am now debating whether or not to go, weighing the very meager refund amount against my anger about getting on a ship to take a trip that is NOT THE TRIP that I booked. I am NOT a fan of Nassau, and I'm not taking any excursion there. Guess I won't get to lie on a beach at all. NCL should treat passengers with more respect! I am sharing this news with EVERYONE in person, online and with my many, many readers. Beware!!! They will change the trip and offer you NOTHING. Use another cruise line if you want to be treated well!

What's up with NCL? We have traveled with them 3 times and booked a fourth for 11/13 to the Bahamas. Have not had a bad experience until now. Kept getting the free at sea promotion in the mail and email and finally took the bait and looked. Tried booking an inside or oceanview but the site said it was fully booked. Tried calling and was told the same and that there was no wait list. Also told then that only the Haven cabin was eligible for the free at sea promotion.

Commented that the website shows a green note on the price chart indicating that the promotion was available at all cabin levels. Was then told that if I continued through booking, I would see that it is not available. Reluctantly continued booking and selected a balcony cabin. The next day, both inside and oceanview cabins suddenly became available again, even through a discount agent's site. I emailed NCL immediately but three days later haven't even received an acknowledgement. Wish I had seen this website before I booked. I guess they don't believe in truth in advertising.

I am set to cruise on November 14 on the Norwegian Sky. About 10 days ago, they informed me that due to Hurricane Matthew we would not be able to visit their private island Great Stirrup Cay (which has food and drink included). It was replaced by Key West, which already is a let down, but also does not have food and drink included either. I called up looking to see if they would be offering some sort of compensation for this and got nowhere. We had already budgeted an entire vacation and now had to prepare for an entire other day that would require spending.

Today, which conveniently is within the 14 day no cancellation window, I find out that they have now removed Nassau, Bahamas and made it a travel day. Out of a 5 day cruise (with the 5th day being in port disembarking) we spend 2 days on land, with one being in Florida. I called up to see if they would do anything to compensate for this, or if there was any way to reschedule. Legitimately anything to please their customers affected by this (especially since we lost ANOTHER shore excursion in this process) and received absolutely no help. The customer service seemingly has no power and seems completely disconnected from the organization as a whole. Do not EVER book with Norwegian. An absolute 100% would NOT recommend.

We have a cruise booked on Norwegian Cruise Line Cruise lines starting on November 6th, 2016. Yesterday I received a letter informing me that our ship breakway will not stop at Great Stirrup Cay (Private Island) because they are doing enhancements since August 25 and they have been delayed because of hurricane Matthew. On my previous cruise going to the island was my favorite part of the trip. It's the only time you can go on a beach on the cruise without having to pay extra. I wouldn't have booked a cruise with NCL if I knew they was a chance of not going to their private Island.

When I called NCL to see how they were going to compensate their guests for the inconvenience they basically said "too bad we are not doing anything". The worst customer service ever. They should give an option to cancel or reschedule our vacation or at least give some kind of compensation. Nothing. I used to love NCL but after this trip I will never cruise with them again. NCL is the worst. Norwegian Cruise Line next time we're going on Royal Caribbean Blog. #CruiseNorwegian #sucks

We are due to take the Breakaway this week. The trip to Great Stirrup Cay has been cancelled, due to the storm. I understand this, but this is a little late notice. OK, but now we will be in Nassau another day. It is frustrating that we were going to have a private island (included in the price) with food included, but now

we have to pay if we want to go on another excursion for a semi-private beach. Apparently, Norwegian isn't offering us anything in lieu of Great Stirrup. Is this right?

My family and I are avid cruisers. We have cruised Disney, Carnival and Royal Caribbean until two years ago when we added Norwegian to that list. This was our third Norwegian Cruise and most definitely our last. We were EXTREMELY disappointed with how they handled the destination changes due to Hurricane Nicole. We were supposed to go to Bermuda and unlike the other 3 cruise lines, they waited until the all aboard before they announced that we would no longer be there. They then told us we would be staying in New York overnight. That's one night gone!

When I called Norwegian and when my son went down to Guest Relations, we were both told if we got off the boat we would not be getting a refund. Then about 7:30 or so, they announced that we would be going to Port Canaveral and Nassau. First of all, who wants to cruise to Port Canaveral???? Especially after a hurricane. They were still trying to recover. That's a place to board a cruise ship, not a cruise destination! And Nassau was in terrible shape. The water was far too rough to go in (no swimming signs posted) and debris was washing up everywhere. We paid $5,000 for the four of us to go to Bermuda and instead ended up with 15 hours of post hurricane destination.

We were sailing on very rough waters due to the hurricanes so the boat was very rocky. Because of that, a lot of the deck activities were closed a good portion of the time. You can only go to so many shows and clubs in a 7 day period. We all felt like we were being held hostage on their boat. They made it clear that their profits are FAR more important than their customer relations.

They gave us $100 nonrefundable on board credit. It could not be used toward gratuities or the casino. Today I found out that they are giving a $29 credit of the difference in port charges and they think that covers it. When I said "that's it??? $29.... That's your idea of compensation for everything we spent for what we got?" The guy on the phone said "Well, it's per person!" UNBELIEVABLE!! They also told us we could apply in writing to have our gratuities refunded. How is that fair to their staff? They still did their jobs and yet Norwegian is willing to forfeit their employees gratuities in lieu of doing the right thing. That says a lot about Norwegian. We are now done with Norwegian.

We went on a 7 day mexican riviera cruise with NCL, and one day prior to departure, we got an email saying that they were omitting Mazatlan Port, due to unforeseen repairs that needed to be done in Puerto Vallarta. When we got to Puerto Vallarta, they informed us that they were cancelling the Cabo San Lucas Port as well, since the repairs were extensive, and had to be completed in Puerto Vallarta. So, out of three planned ports we only went to one, and turns out that NCL knew about the repair work two months before we got on the ship! Shame on you, Norwegian Cruise Lines. Should call your ship the Norwegian Junk, instead of the Norwegian Jewel!

While I understand that hurricanes cannot be predicted, I believe NCL knew before we left that Bermuda was out of the question. The new itinerary was 1 stop in Port Canaveral, FL, and about 5-6 hrs. in Nassau. There was nothing in Nassau to see except some shops. All they offered was a $200 per cabin onboard credit, while other cruise lines were offering refunds or 50% off of future cruises.

Also, be aware that the Breakaway seems to have no dress code at all for dinner, so jeans and ball caps made me feel like I was at the local McDonald's. The "dine and dance" in the Manhattan Room was outrageous, with children running all over the dance floor. Such a disappointment! This was our 3rd cruise with NCL, but it will be our last. They seems to not care at all about their customers. If they knew Bermuda was out, they should have contacted their customers to explain and then let the customer decide. Vouchers for future cruises would have gone a long way to ensure repeat customers!

I think this cruise line should have their day in court. Our cruise destination was cancelled because of a hurricane in Bermuda. They didn't refund our cruise fare. I think this is a criminal act. We paid a premium for the cruise but got no refund for getting a less priced cruise. They swapped Bermuda for Port Canaveral and Nassau. They also told us not to go far from the ship in Nassau because of an spike in crime against tourists in the area. Fine. They referred to the small print that they can change their destination. I cannot write more because I'm so livid about this experience.

I've seen a recorded hearing in the US Congress and a congressman is so angry at the practices of the cruise lines and passenger complaints and he wants big changes made. My advice to anyone thinking of cruising is to check for experiences that others have had before giving away your money. The money they made from this trip is blood money and should be given back to the passengers. I understand them not being able to go to Bermuda because of the hurricane but to still charge the passengers for the trip is wrong. It is also wrong to board the passengers and then tell them the destination was cancelled. I could go on.

We have recently returned from an NCL cruise where my husband had arm pains that were going to his chest. Fearing the worse we took him to the ship's medical centre. He was there for approx 12 hours where they were able to rule out a heart attack in the first hour or so. The rest of the time he was there for observation. Now we are grateful for the good care but the shock of a charge to our credit card of over $10000 which was just stuck in our door with no discussion, was enough to cause a real heart attack. We were basically wiped out and had another 3 weeks vacation organised once we got off the ship. That was ruined. I believe we should have had the opportunity to discuss options on paying the bill possibly through our insurance company. Surely not everyone has the funds on their credit card so other arrangements must have been made with others.

We also requested a refund for the service fee as we needed some cash urgently. They would not take it off our bill but said we would have to apply for it to be sent later. After further discussions on this with the manager he promised to arrange it asap. Nearly 4 weeks later absolutely nothing returned. To top it all off they regularly take different amounts off your credit card while you're on board. Ours was to the total of nearly $800. At the end of the cruise instead of just deducting the difference or repaying you whatever the case may be no they then take out the whole amount. We waited over 2 weeks for that money to drop off the credit card. Their customer service in this matter is no existent. We are platinum cruisers with them but that will be our last cruise ever with them.

I recently cruised on the NCL Breakaway on 10/9 – 10/16. This was the ship re-routed from Bermuda to Port Canaveral and Nassau because of Hurricane Nicole and Matthew. Below is some of the issues I had (which was also sent to NCL with no response thus far). I booked my cruise with a package for the shore excursion and specialty dinner program. I choose the shore excursion option because I would get a $150 credit because I was traveling to Bermuda. If I had been traveling to Port Canaveral and Nassau I would have choose the Beverage package instead. I was very disappointed to only be offered a $100 credit for shore excursions. It left a bad taste in my mouth and shore excursions just shrugged when I brought this up with them.

Once we found out what shore excursions were offered we were not able to research them without internet access. So, we choose to do the kayaking at manatee cove. It was listed on the paper as an activity level of 2. The NASA tour was also listed as a 2 so we assumed it would take the same exertion as a walking tour (this was also our first time kayaking). In no way should have it been a 2. It was very misrepresented. You have to paddle across an open bay (roughly one and a half football fields in length) to get to the Kayak site. This is not explained on the brochure.

On the way back you had to paddle AGAINST the wind (which was incredibly strong). It took everything we had to just move forward. In fact, they sent a boat out that had to come and rescue a couple of the kayakers because it was so difficult. How is this a level 2? If this had not been misrepresented we would have choose something else. I felt we threw away our $200 (which included a $20 tip since the guides were very nice).

The moral on board was awful. I found the customer service not be up to par. We were wrongly charged for a bottle of water from our mini bar (our room was never properly stocked to start with. It was missing the room service menu, the pad and pen, a bottle of water as well as a Redbull when we first arrived). Our steward said he would remove the charge. We then had to ask a second time. Finally, on the third time we had to escalate it to the housekeeping supervisor.

I was bit by a bug in my bed. It swelled up bad on Thursday night (it was red and puss filled). We searched the bed but couldn’t find it. The following day I could not wear my sandals. It hurt so bad. I went to medical to find nobody there. I went to guest services and told them something in my bed bit me and I needed a band aid and possibly ointment. He said "you can get them on the 5th deck". I said, “well I would have to pay for this”. He said, “it’s only fifty cents”. I said, “Let me get this straight. Something bit me in your bed and I need to pay for my band aids?” He said "yes" and just stared at me. He offered no apology or any further assistance.

I understand the cruise needed to be changed due to a hurricane hitting Bermuda. That is absolutely the right decision. We had been watching all week and we knew that would happen. However, we called you that morning prior to boarding to ask if it was changed (we needed to pack warm clothes if we were heading to Canada). We were told, that we were definitely going to Bermuda. Once boarded, we heard whispers from other cruisers we weren’t leaving NYC port that night. A few hours later the announcement came AFTER everyone was on board that in fact we were not going to be going to Bermuda. We all knew that was happening. It felt deceitful that we were only told after all were on board. I was very disappointed with the service and compensation given for losing a day of cruising as well as only spending 16 hours in port (Nassau was useless).

We have cruised 9 times. We have done Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney, and Norwegian. I must say last year we did the breakaway to Florida and Nassau. It was great. WELL on Oct 9th we boarded the Breakaway again in New York, only to be told we would not be leaving that day and not going to Bermuda. I totally understand they had to keep us safe but we should have had the opportunity to book another cruise at another time. We went to the same places as last year, which were a mess because they were hit by the hurricane a couple days before. The water at Cocoa beach was absolutely gross and Nassau was a mess. I understand it's not their fault but very frustrating.... THEY GAVE US A $200.00 onboard credit per cabin which I feel they could of done more. Some cruise lines got 1/2 money back towards another cruise and we got $200.00!!! From one of the biggest ships out there...

We have another cruise planned for June but on The Carnival Sunshine, maybe if they would of gave us more incentives to book again, we would of considered Norwegian again. I would of booked another one to Bermuda right on the ship... But $200.00 kind of left us rethinking about Norwegian. We have cruised a total of 3 times with your cruise line. We know it was the weather but they waited till we were on board and made announcement later the afternoon, and the decision to go to two places hit by the hurricane was absolutely no fun... The crew was great, but please consider a bit more than $200.00 on board credit. Please feel free to contact us on email or ** or **. I hope to hear from you. The people I spoke to about our experience were totally surprised that's all we got from the cruise line... Please see if there is anything else you can offer passengers. Thank you for your time.

Just came back from the Breakaway cruise October 16 2016. As we all know we couldn't sail to Bermuda for the hurricane. While we understand safety first as we were told by NCL I guess they should add: NCL own pocket first. We called a few hours before headed to ship. We were told all is on schedule. LIES. Schedule was changed as soon as all passenger were on board. What a gimmick. And to top we spent an overnight in nyc so instead of 3 nights overnight in Bermuda we just fly to deserted ports. And the NCL didn't act like Carnival 3 weeks ago with a non-refundable 200 dollars charity so we gave back to NCL. They couldn't afford a discount on next cruise so could keep all passenger happy because that will touch stock/holder bottom line correct?

And after I had an issue which I reported to the FB manager instead to tell his employees to say sorry to me he offer me a lunch to Margaritaville restaurant. I didn't ask for freebies which I think he thought. I didn't need his charity. I can buy my own lunch. I needed an apology from the 2 employees which never came. Mr FB manager you need more training.

We are supposed to sail Bermuda from Oct 9th 2016 to Oct 16th 2016. First, while its competitors (e.g.Carnival and Disney cruise) know days ahead that they are not able to make to Bermuda due to Hurricane impact and offer their customer full refund for those who decided not to sail, why this cruise line did not tell the customers until everyone is on board about 3pm in the afternoon? It seems like they just want to trick you to get on the boat.

When you talk you their customers about the option to cancel the trip due to this weather reason, they do not even care... No credit back, no refund. Nothing... And if you decided to leave the boat, we still have to pay more than couple of thousand of dollars. What a "great" company who only cares about customer money. We left the boat after 4 hours experience with Norwegian, and we know we will never be their customer again. This is our first and last experience with Norwegian. Do not be Norwegian's next victim.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Norwegian Cruise Lines has been in business for over 48 years; it developed the concept of freestyle cruising, which means a relaxed dress code, that lets guests enjoy the cruise at unscheduled, individual paces.

• Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar: The Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar is a bar set in an arctic chamber; the walls, the bar and everything inside is made from ice.
  • Waterfront: Norwegian's Waterfront is a quarter-mile deck where guests can walk and enjoy oceanfront views.
  • Walk the Plank: Thrill seekers can experience walking the Plank, which is a narrow beam traveling 8 feet out over the water.
  • Great Stirrup Cay: One of Norwegian's unique stops is the company's private island, where guests can explore and play in the shoreline.
  • Broadway at sea: Norwegian Cruise Lines guests can take in exclusive Broadway shows while on board.
  • Best for The Norwegian Cruise liner is best for budget-conscious families and adults looking for a relaxed, less formal cruise experience.

Compare Cruise Lines