2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.77/5

Norwegian Cruise Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?

Original review: April 11, 2020

We thoroughly enjoy all of our cruises with NCL. We have never had a bad experience as people have had on other lines. The entertainment is great, food very good, plus they have a good selection of tours. In fact, we have one in storage now, as we were supposed to go on March 26 for 11 days, but they put it in storage where we can use it up to 2022. The thermal spa is relaxing and enjoyable especially on the days when the ship is at sea.

Original review: April 6, 2020

Great cruise for solo cruise guest or anyone who wants to have a single room. Area of the ship is just for solo cruise guest to include a lounge where one could get breakfast in the morning of cereals, fresh pastries and a variety of juices. Throughout the day the solo lounge also have fresh baked cookies and beverages. The cruise line also very good restaurant and no scheduled eating times.

Get buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2020

Cruise from Alaska to Vancouver. Check in was rude and abusive. Room was outside with a small window, the size of a postage stamp. Bathroom was too tiny and hard to use. This was at the peak of the Corovirus scare. Staff encouraged passengers to use hand sanitizers before entering restaurants but most folks did not. Staff, I must say, was helpful, kind and hard working. Don't think we will take a cruise again although we are seniors.

Original review: March 27, 2020

On our last NCL cruise I was quite disturbed by the embarking and disembarking process. I have sailed NCL for many years and I never entailed this type of process. We are platinum members and we were never corralled in an area and called to board by color. What was the point of asking what time you would like to check in? It was redundant. We sat for a long period of time before we were called. Regarding disembarking, we never were corralled and in a line moving around the ship to get off. This was ridiculous ; we must have walked around the ship in a line numerous times before we hit the exit. I don't know when NCL started this process but it was quite disturbing.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Okay, I will start by saying this was my first cruise and it will not be my last! I loved it! Yes, there were issues, like the in cabin safes did not work in many many of the rooms, but I didn't bring any valuables, so no biggie to me. The bartenders were not friendly and it was difficult on the first day waiting for the bags to arrive to even get a drink. The best: my room was clean and smell-free!!! I was very happy about that! The food was great - even at the buffet - yes, you would see many of the "leftovers" from the specialty dining at the buffet so I would not purchase the specialty dining package again.

There was tons to do. We went to every port and it was smooth sailing until the very last day at sea, but it did not bother me - I gave my sea bands away. The pool was small, but I don't really spend time at the pool so no big deal. The hot tubs were almost always packed - some with kids - that was irritating. But overall, I give it a 4 star and I am planning my next cruise. I loved it so much! The spa was excellent also and had a couple of excellent massages. I would do things differently on my next cruise, but that is all on me. Don't let them sell you on extras!!!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

NCL is refusing to give me my refund after promising "peace of mind policy". On December 5, 2019, my husband and I purchased a five-day Norwegian Cruise leaving out of Port Canaveral on March 18, 2020 going to Costa Maya and Cozumel for $1964.44. Five other people in my family also booked this cruise. This was our first time booking through Norwegian as we've cruised with other companies before. In March, when Covid hit--our cruise was cancelled. When I called and inquired about our options our cruise representative German ** told us if we re-booked, we would get a $200 on board credit. At that time, it seemed like a good deal. We rebooked the exact same cruise for March 2021.

Fast forward until today, I receive an email from NCL that our March cruise has been cancelled. This time, I want a refund because I want to use that two grand on a vacation I can actually go on. I called NCL and they refused to give me a refund. Stating it was booked through a "future cruise credit". The $1964.44 I paid was my hard-earned money, not a future cruise credit. At no point, did German say that if we REBOOKED our cruises and if Norwegian decided to cancel that cruise, we would be unable to request a full refund. That's how Norwegian is staying afloat using the money from their customers they screwed over from the first cancellations. SO MUCH for their PEACE OF MIND POLICY.

Their website says, for cruises through June 30, 2021: cancel up to 15 days prior for a Future Cruise Credit, or a full refund when you cancel up to 60 days prior. For cruises July 1 - October 31, 2021: cancel up to 15 days prior and receive a Future Cruise Credit, or a full refund when you cancel up to 120 days prior. They cancelled on me!!! I deserve a full refund. I am already out thousands of dollars in flights and shuttle services from having to rebook last year and it looks like I will be again this year too. Now, I'm going to be out even more money because NCL is refusing to give me the money I paid. I have PROOF that I paid it through UPLIFT. I want immediate resolution and I won't be the only one in my family filing a complaint through the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

Onboard Norwegian Jewel March 2020, all passengers were informed cruise was terminating early in Fiji and not in French Polynesia per original itinerary, and MUST NOW purchase airfare home, NCL to compensate in full. NO COMPENSATION EVER PAID BY NCL. DO NOT MAKE A PURCHASE on NCL's behalf!!! Insist their onboard Guest Services department arrange and themselves pay.!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

They are thieves, We were suppose to sail in May of 2020, I called multiple times to cancel for a refund and I was told a refund request form would be sent out soon. The catch was... you only had a 7 day window to submit it. I found the email in my spam mailbox on day 8, you can no longer receive a refund. I now have a cruise credit with a company I will never ever do business with. What a waste of money and time. Do yourself a favor and do business elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

We booked a cruise with a departure date of March 29. Of course, the cruise was cancelled. Prior to NCL officially cancelling the cruise, we asked to cancel our reservation due to the pandemic and cruise ships stuck in various harbors with people dying of Covid-19 on board. The agent we spoke to offered us a "Peace of Mind" credit for the cruise. No our financial situation has changed, and with no definite end in sight for this pandemic, we have requested a refund due to our advanced age and financial situation. I was informed that since we accepted a credit, we can no longer get a refund. We were not informed of this policy when we accepted the credit.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

We had a cruise booked for May which of course was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. My boyfriend called and discussed this with a representative from NCL about either rebooking the cruise using FCC or taking the cash refund at the time. We were encouraged to rebook. After SPECIFICALLY asking if travel was suspended again, would we be eligible for a cash refund and we were told by the agent that we would be, so we agreed to rebook.

Our second cruise was suspended and now we are told we cannot get a cash refund and your company is hiding behind “FCC has no cash value” This is completely unacceptable and a bit questionable since the agent talked us out of purchasing the travel protection due to the “Peace of Mind” policy that was in place and again assured us we would be eligible for a full CASH refund should the cruise be suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If we had purchased the insurance this would be non-issue but again we were talked out of it and now told we don’t get a cash refund? This does not seem like ethical business practices to me.

Norwegian Cruise Lines author review by ConsumerAffairs

Norwegian Cruise Lines has been in business for over 48 years; it developed the concept of freestyle cruising, which means a relaxed dress code, that lets guests enjoy the cruise at unscheduled, individual paces.

• Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar: The Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar is a bar set in an arctic chamber; the walls, the bar and everything inside is made from ice.

• Waterfront: Norwegian's Waterfront is a quarter-mile deck where guests can walk and enjoy oceanfront views.

• Walk the Plank: Thrill seekers can experience walking the Plank, which is a narrow beam traveling 8 feet out over the water.

• Great Stirrup Cay: One of Norwegian's unique stops is the company's private island, where guests can explore and play in the shoreline.

• Broadway at sea: Norwegian Cruise Lines guests can take in exclusive Broadway shows while on board.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team