2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.82/5

Norwegian Cruise Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?

Original review: April 6, 2021

Shame on NCL for requiring a covid shot that is not scientifically proven and the FDA didn't even approve it. Nothing but bullying. We are free Americans and should have the right to choose the shot. For those who are afraid that's fine but not for us that believe this is all **.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Our cruise to Hawaii was paid in full in Feb 2020 and we were never given the opportunity for a cash refund. Our agent told us we needed to rebook and got FCC and it’s canceled again. Still no refund. We understand that we were given a Future Cruise Credit but our cruise was paid in full with our money and the only way to use the FCC is off the ship for excursions, etc. You can’t get in touch with their customer Service by phone. They will only email you. We are retired and don’t have many years left to travel. This was our once in a lifetime trip that they have ruined.

Get buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

NCL cancelled our 2 weeks cruise from Papeete, French Polynesia to Honolulu in March 2020.NCL refused to provide cash refund instead issued C$8,761.40 cruise credits in Can $. ???. For last week we are trying to book cruises with our travel agent VACATIONS TO GO but NCL is refusing to convert our cruise credits to US$ approx. 6,890.00.The cruises we trying to book are NCL cruises priced in US$. Vacations TO GO are only set up to make bookings in US$. The reason we would like to book with Vacations To Go because of LOWER PRICES AND BETTER SERVICE. As it is right now NCL is refusing cash refunds and their C$ cruise credits are useless. Stay away from NCL, book with other professional cruise lines.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

NCL is refusing to give me my refund after promising "peace of mind policy". On December 5, 2019, my husband and I purchased a five-day Norwegian Cruise leaving out of Port Canaveral on March 18, 2020 going to Costa Maya and Cozumel for $1964.44. Five other people in my family also booked this cruise. This was our first time booking through Norwegian as we've cruised with other companies before. In March, when Covid hit--our cruise was cancelled. When I called and inquired about our options our cruise representative German ** told us if we re-booked, we would get a $200 on board credit. At that time, it seemed like a good deal. We rebooked the exact same cruise for March 2021.

Fast forward until today, I receive an email from NCL that our March cruise has been cancelled. This time, I want a refund because I want to use that two grand on a vacation I can actually go on. I called NCL and they refused to give me a refund. Stating it was booked through a "future cruise credit". The $1964.44 I paid was my hard-earned money, not a future cruise credit. At no point, did German say that if we REBOOKED our cruises and if Norwegian decided to cancel that cruise, we would be unable to request a full refund. That's how Norwegian is staying afloat using the money from their customers they screwed over from the first cancellations. SO MUCH for their PEACE OF MIND POLICY.

Their website says, for cruises through June 30, 2021: cancel up to 15 days prior for a Future Cruise Credit, or a full refund when you cancel up to 60 days prior. For cruises July 1 - October 31, 2021: cancel up to 15 days prior and receive a Future Cruise Credit, or a full refund when you cancel up to 120 days prior. They cancelled on me!!! I deserve a full refund. I am already out thousands of dollars in flights and shuttle services from having to rebook last year and it looks like I will be again this year too. Now, I'm going to be out even more money because NCL is refusing to give me the money I paid. I have PROOF that I paid it through UPLIFT. I want immediate resolution and I won't be the only one in my family filing a complaint through the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

Onboard Norwegian Jewel March 2020, all passengers were informed cruise was terminating early in Fiji and not in French Polynesia per original itinerary, and MUST NOW purchase airfare home, NCL to compensate in full. NO COMPENSATION EVER PAID BY NCL. DO NOT MAKE A PURCHASE on NCL's behalf!!! Insist their onboard Guest Services department arrange and themselves pay.!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

They are thieves, We were suppose to sail in May of 2020, I called multiple times to cancel for a refund and I was told a refund request form would be sent out soon. The catch was... you only had a 7 day window to submit it. I found the email in my spam mailbox on day 8, you can no longer receive a refund. I now have a cruise credit with a company I will never ever do business with. What a waste of money and time. Do yourself a favor and do business elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

We booked a cruise with a departure date of March 29. Of course, the cruise was cancelled. Prior to NCL officially cancelling the cruise, we asked to cancel our reservation due to the pandemic and cruise ships stuck in various harbors with people dying of Covid-19 on board. The agent we spoke to offered us a "Peace of Mind" credit for the cruise. No our financial situation has changed, and with no definite end in sight for this pandemic, we have requested a refund due to our advanced age and financial situation. I was informed that since we accepted a credit, we can no longer get a refund. We were not informed of this policy when we accepted the credit.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

We had a cruise booked for May which of course was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. My boyfriend called and discussed this with a representative from NCL about either rebooking the cruise using FCC or taking the cash refund at the time. We were encouraged to rebook. After SPECIFICALLY asking if travel was suspended again, would we be eligible for a cash refund and we were told by the agent that we would be, so we agreed to rebook.

Our second cruise was suspended and now we are told we cannot get a cash refund and your company is hiding behind “FCC has no cash value” This is completely unacceptable and a bit questionable since the agent talked us out of purchasing the travel protection due to the “Peace of Mind” policy that was in place and again assured us we would be eligible for a full CASH refund should the cruise be suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If we had purchased the insurance this would be non-issue but again we were talked out of it and now told we don’t get a cash refund? This does not seem like ethical business practices to me.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

This review is not about the cruise that we took in 2016...we had a good time and thereafter, availed the CruiseNext deposit of $500 to be utilized within the next 4 years. During the months of February & March (before Covid) this year, the cruise consultant was reaching out frequently- while I was undecided on the timing, he mentioned that whenever I decide to sail, I can utilize the deposit. At no time, was I given to understand that I would forfeit the deposit. Neither did I receive any reminder mails that my deposit was going to expire on April 27. Further due to COVID, I wasn’t able to plan nor sail in April. In view of this and the above statement, I will request NCL to reinstate and extend the validity of the deposit or refund the deposit. Reinstating the deposit, will help them retain me as a customer to avail future cruises, else risk losing me to competition and have a very negative view of NCL.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

NCL would not grant my refund when they canceled my cruise. I contacted Christine Da Silva, VP of communications and she also denied my refund, when they couldn't supply my cruise to me. I have contacted my credit card company for help in this matter. I would never recommend this company. AVOID NCL.

Norwegian Cruise Lines author review by ConsumerAffairs

Norwegian Cruise Lines has been in business for over 48 years; it developed the concept of freestyle cruising, which means a relaxed dress code, that lets guests enjoy the cruise at unscheduled, individual paces.

• Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar: The Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar is a bar set in an arctic chamber; the walls, the bar and everything inside is made from ice.

• Waterfront: Norwegian's Waterfront is a quarter-mile deck where guests can walk and enjoy oceanfront views.

• Walk the Plank: Thrill seekers can experience walking the Plank, which is a narrow beam traveling 8 feet out over the water.

• Great Stirrup Cay: One of Norwegian's unique stops is the company's private island, where guests can explore and play in the shoreline.

• Broadway at sea: Norwegian Cruise Lines guests can take in exclusive Broadway shows while on board.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team