1.40/5
Based on 70 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

548 Norwegian Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I will never again cruise on NCL. We went on a Hawaiian cruise on The Pride of America. July 14-21. When we first entered the cabin there was a horrible odor. It seems someone, either the last passenger or an employee, pooped in our toilet. How could such a thing happen! I complained and it was cleaned. The second day everyone else's cabins were cleaned except ours. I felt very unsafe as it was just my daughter and I on the ship. I didn't know what else would happen. I hide my medications and toiletries as I did not trust the NCL employees. The thing that really upset me was that nobody cared. I wrote numerous e-mails detailing our horrible experience. Not one person from NCL responded. Things happen. At the very least I wanted an apology. I must add that I was a Platinum guest. Never again will I cruise on NCL.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Booked a cruise + land package in Alaska for 3 people. In all of the land part treated as second class citizens. Best case scenario throughout was room with 2 queen beds. Worst case was being given 2 essentially single beds + hotel staff rudely insisting they were double beds and, that we could pay $25 for an extra bed. Tour director nowhere to be seen. Further, tour is very geared towards US retiree couples. Nobody else under 60. Nobody else non-American. No care for guests whose first language is not English. Lots of sitting in bus listening to rambles of Tour Guide. Lots of bad & overpriced hotels with no nearby amenities - perfect Tourist Traps. Bad. Do not recommend.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Just returned home from the Norwegian Sun cruise to Cuba. Went to celebrate mom's 76th birthday, along with son and nephew's birthday. 8 family members in all. We booked Cuban excursions @ $90 each to discover once on the excursion that the factories were in fact closed for holiday. We were told that Norwegian knew of this ahead of time, yet they still advertised and sent many of us on these excursions. As the government is closed for holiday in the beginning of August... Upon leaving the cruise, on 8/10/18, my 75 year old mom, fell just pass the exit for Norwegian at which time they said it was no longer their concern, and would not even call for help. When asked for a wheelchair they refused. This cruise was nothing more than a glorified booze cruise, as that was the only worthwhile part of the trip, along with the waiters and room stewards.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am astonished at the fact that not only was I mislead to make the sale, but the supervisor couldn't even understand the lack of transparency that the sales representative provided. I have recently booked a trip on the Norwegian Escape on August 18th. I booked the trip over the phone with a Norwegian representative. I was very upset to find out I was mislead. I clearly wanted the drink and specialty dining package and the representative did not add it in. The whole conversation we discussed the two "free" options yet at the end the representative removes these options without even telling me.

The worst part of my experience was not with the sales representative. The worst part was with the supervisor Brandy. I had asked Brandy to listen to the recorded conversation so she could understand my concern. After Brandy had listened to the recorded conversation she kept telling me times that the sales representative had explained the cost of the trip, but clearly never explained that we wouldn't be receiving the specific package. I began to get very frustrated at the fact that Brandy just seemed to be trying to figure out a way she wouldn't have to refund my trip or include the unclear options. Brandy continued to say that the representative sent me an email to confirm the cruise which I did.

Original review: July 29, 2018

We sailed the Norwegian Gem which embarked on July 14, 2017. This was our first cruise so granted we didn't know what to expect. I signed up for freestyle dining, which was convenient. I will highlight the pros and cons of this trip: Pros. 1. Theatre. 2. Gym. 3. Dining. Cons. 1. No option of using your debit for purchases. 2. $203 service charges. 3. Internet packages costly. 4. Tiny, dusty ocean view rooms. 5. No interesting activities for tweens. 6. $30 water package. 7. 4 out of 7 days at sea. 8. Inflated prices for excursions. I'm personally disgusted as I received my final bill on disembarkation day for $775.11 only to see another $175.00 deducted after disembarkation. I will never travel with Norwegian again. The constant pitches to sell vacationers things was so annoying.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?

Original review: July 18, 2018

We had scheduled this cruise a year in advance so we could pay so much per month as we have a huge family and 76 yo dementia/LBD handicapped father living with us, approximately 3 months after reserving 2 rooms for a 7 day cruise, I lost my job and had to cancel the cruise until such times, our finances were better. We had 2 reservations, one for each room and canceling wasn't a problem, should get full refund as we canceled way ahead of the cutoff. The initial deposit took approx 3-4 weeks to be refunded back into our account, then I was told the balance would be returned via check by US mail.

We received the refund check for one room daily quickly in the mail but nothing for the second room. I talked to Mario in payments and refunds Monday July 9, he verified all information, apologized for the hold up and stated the refund check would be cut and mailed Wed, July 11 2018, he said that if I don't receive it soon, call back and check on hold up, he was wonderful to talk to and deal with.

So I had not received it by Wed July 18, 2018 11:48 am central time, and called back and Annette **, if that's her real name, in the Payments and Refunds Department answered the call, spoke over me, very short and rude and stated it's because there isn't a city listed on the reservation... I'VE RECEIVED MAIL FROM THIS COMPANY IN REFERENCE TO THIS CRUISE AS STATED ABOVE, I advised her of this and she said well, the city wasn't on there and they will issue a refund next Wednesday??? I asked that she expedite the refund as we have already been waiting a month or so and was told, "No, nothing I can do, there is no one that can speed it up and no process in place to help get it faster, it will be processed next week." I asked to speak to her supervisor, her response "There's no one that I can let you speak to sir".

After 2 minutes of requesting her supervisors name or contact, she offered to send me to a supervisor in reservations??? I told her I wanted to speak to or get her supervisors information, "I don't have a supervisor sir, there's no one I can let you speak to." She then put me on hold for approx 10 minutes and came back on and said she emailed someone and asked them if they could expedite it and get a check cut and mailed out sooner??? ok... didn't you just tell me there's nothing you can do? So so frustrating!

Why wasn't this offered in the beginning of this 20 minute waste of my time??? So I'm very sad and upset as we haven't went on vacation in 2 years, don't know how much longer my father has and I had to cancel my family of 7 vacation because the company I worked for went out of business, now confused, been lied to, talked down to and she keeps saying I'm talking in circles asking her for her supervisor name and contact information. She finally transferred me to a reservations supervisor and I was advised by her that ANNETTE's department is at the top of the chain and she can't help me, she asked if I could hold for a minute and I did, when she came back, she gave me her supervisors name of Micheal ** and transferred me to his line, I got his voice mail, left a message and am waiting for a response.

Now I ask myself, being in the service industry myself, do I really want to spend my money with a company that's not interested in the well being of their customers. I will get another job and do as well if not better than the last and schedule another cruise but doubt it will be with Norwegian which is sad because they arrested well for kids cruise.

Original review: July 9, 2018

We have been Latitudes members for years and we have never been treated so horrible as we were today. We had a planned trip to Cuba from Orlando. I had the documentation required by the Cuban consulate & the Norwegian people would not allow myself & family on the ship. No alternative solution was give to us even though I explained that I had followed all their guidelines and have my documentation. After calling guest services and every other number they gave me... I was told they could do nothing for me & that nope, can’t get my money back or even transfer to another cruise leaving from Florida.

We were even willing to rent a car and go to any other port in the state, just so we don’t lose our $6000. No refund, no transfer, no help at all! I can’t believe how rude and just the lack of empathy for a family, excited about vacation with 3 children. I sit here at the airport, trying to figure out how much more we now have to spend to go back home & tell our children... “Sorry, we no longer get vacation, because all our money went to a RICH company, who refuses to work with customers.” So we got here today & we’re turning around and going back home, today.

Thank you Norwegian for being so heartless! You lost several customers today, as we were not the only family you robbed today. I hope you got satisfaction in breaking not just my children’s heart, but all the others who cried as they were turned away for not having what “YOU” felt was necessary. You suck & I will be reporting you to every single agency I can report your company to. No one does this to my family and get away with stealing and being a bully.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Months ago, I booked a vacation for my husband and I on a Mediterranean cruise to Italy and Greece. We have been dreaming of going to Italy and Greece for years and had agreed before starting a family we would definitely go. We originally booked with a travel agent but decided it would be much easier to transfer everything to Norwegian Cruise Lines and have everything booked thru them. Upon booking the cruise originally with the travel agent, we asked her to add travel insurance, which she said that she would. Apparently when we transferred over the trip to Norwegian, the insurance did not transfer over with it.

Of course I spoke with employees from the cruise line several times as I had to book a hotel the night before the cruise with them, as well as tell them the flight information. At no point was I ever told that there was no insurance on my vacation, nor did they offer me to purchase it. Not only should this have been mentioned when I transferred, it should have been mentioned when I went to make the final payment as well which I did at the end of May. Fast forward to June 30th- my husband finds out some life changing news that would prohibit us from traveling- I have all the documented proof in the world for this. It is still almost 3 months away, the cruise is set to depart September 20th-30th 2018.

I spoke to an employee and a RUDE supervisor named Amy who told me there was absolutely nothing for me, seemed like she just didn't want to be bothered doing her job and has poor customer service skills. They said I could pay a fee of 1,300 each person to transfer to another date. Keep in mind this cruise is not until the end of September. I told them I was never offered travel insurance and they had nothing to say about it, no apology, NOTHING. We are giving them over $5,000.00 to cruise with them and they will do nothing for us and our situation- which if it came to it I can provide all the proof and documentation that they could possibly need for this situation.

Norwegian Cruise Lines is a money hungry company with poor customer service and absolutely 0 regard for their customers. My husband and I are returning customers and I can assure you our friends and family (and social media followers) will never be using them again! I am horrified by their actions and ridiculous policies. Insurance should be the first thing offered!!! Seriously there are so many other cruise lines out there and Norwegian is not the one to go with- even Carnival will be better! Do not give these crooks your money.

It gets better- I booked our flights thru CheapOair.com. I called them and told them the situation after I did purchase insurance with them- they actually did what they were supposed to do and offered insurance upon booking. However I was told that insurance is only good if there is a medical emergency or death in the family with documented evidence. Mind you I purchased the most expensive kind of insurance- what was the point in purchasing this if it doesn't even cover anything??? Pointless! Norwegian Cruise Line and CheapOair are awful companies and I highly recommend that no one uses either!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I had booked a cruise and put down $2500 booking fee. We had family sickness, and cannot go. So we canceled the trip 8 months ahead of the date of cruise, which suppose to give us full refund. They told us that it was canceled and the refund will be back to my card within 10 days. We waited 14 days and nothing come back! I called the NCL and no one answered and always put us on music. I was busy and so I went through our bank to dispute it. The bank gave us a temporary credit for that.

However, a month later, NCL rejected the dispute. I called the NCL again, they said that my card company did not allow them to refund blah blah blah... All kinds of excuses. So I have not received any refunds after two months!! I called again and see how they will react. SO NEVER BOOK ANY TRIP WITH NCL. If you cancel your trip, they will find all kinds of excuses to take your deposit! This company does not have the correct moral standard to do business!!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I placed a bid for an upgrade to a mini suite. I understand that if the bid is accepted you can't change back. My bid was accepted and I was put in a mini suite that is actually listed on one of the cruise review sites as one of the worst cabins! My room is now right under the restaurant and is very very noisy. I called Norwegian and they refused to do anything. There are still mini suites available and if booked through NCL they are $300 cheaper than my upgrade! This is terrible customer service! To actually pay for an upgrade and pay more than what it would cost today and to be put in a room that is on numerous sites with terrible reviews is unacceptable! I feel like NCL has been extremely deceitful in calling this an upgrade!

Original review: June 15, 2018

My wife and I have been on three previous NCL cruises and always enjoyed them, but because of issues that occurred on our fourth and last cruise (Getaway Cruise date 5/20 through 5/27/18) we decided to venture into other cruise lines for our next cruising experience. The quality of services, from the debacled airport shuttle and lackluster embarkation, to a room that had a pungent odor throughout the week, only exacerbated by my medical usage of a CPAP machine did not rise to a level we have been accustomed to.

Airport shuttle services (Fort Lauderdale Airport) 5/20: We were told when we first enrolled for this service that someone from NCL would pick us up at 9:00 a.m. to take us to the ship. We explained we were to arrive at 5:30 a.m. and were willing to wait. What we envisioned and experienced were two different things. We arrived on time and waited at the baggage pick area as instructed when three women from NCL finally showed up carting out a small kiosk at 9:30 am. At that time we were told the ship had not yet docked due to bad weather and because of the heavy rains the streets were flooded and that transportation to the dock would be delayed and we would get an update in an hour. We were only 25 feet from the airport street and through the glass we could see taxis and transport services traveling through without hesitation. We waited another hour and were told the same as mentioned earlier.

I looked up online Cruisin.me and saw the ship was in dock and the recorded time that it arrived were hours earlier than first announced by the NCL representative. I confronted the women making the announcements and she said NCL stated these facts over the phone and she was merely conveying the information. My wife explained that this entire matter made no sense, whether the ship was in port or not, we would merely wait in the embarkation area. The NCL representative insisted the port was closed and couldn’t take us there at that time.

At 11:30 a.m. the NCL representative stated the ship had just arrived, but it would be another 45 minutes before the shuttle would arrived. Because of the previous inconsistencies in her stories we decided we could no longer trust these NCL representatives and decided to leave. She stated she could not make us stay, but if we left, NCL will credit us back for the shuttle. We got up to leave, she then approached my wife and insisted we give her a laminate boarding pass which was given to us after she tore the shuttle coupon from the lower half of our boarding documents, my wife gave her the pass and asked for the coupon back but the representative said she could not give it to us. We hailed a taxi, arrived at the dock within 35 minutes and paid $75.00 cash. In our anxiousness at arriving to the port and due to the pouring rain we forgot to ask for a receipt.

Lackluster embarkation 5/20: When we arrived we found the embarkation process in turmoil, crowds everywhere. If it weren’t for an NCL personnel noticing me with my walking cane, we would have waited. Instead we were processed through the disability line, which was the only grateful moment of that day. No pre-boarding photographers were seen and while embarking no celebratory music or personnel were seen except one individual hurrying us to board. Our cabin steward was not known until three days into the cruise via a phone call. In all previous cruises the cabin steward knew who we were before boarding and introduced himself on the first day, of course these are minor details but it all adds to the effects of the day.

Pungent odor 5/20 through 5/27: When I first opened the cabin door I immediately noticed a pungent smell. During this time the cabin stewards were helping to move various luggage down the hallway to their destinations. I asked one of them to come into the room to see what he thought and he confirmed the odor. I called cruise services and told them of the smell and asked for a different room. They told me every room was booked and could not accommodate us. They also suggested we turn the air conditioner on to attempt airing out the room? Of course this did nothing so I immediately asked for management involvement.

My wife and I began to investigate the odor, underneath the sofa were two drawers. Inside one of the drawers were two pillow which had yellow stains (appeared urine stains) and an odor, and at the moment of our discovery came the steward cabin officer. I asked if he smelled anything. He stated it smelled like perfume. Then I showed him the yellow stained pillows, he took them and offered us a thorough cleaning, of course we agreed. We later returned, the room was scented and we slept well until early in the morning when I was awoken by that pungent smell via CPAP. Two days later the cabin steward replaced the sofa/bed cushion, the smell still remained.

In summary, what other options did we have? We couldn’t get off the ship to another cruise and all our arrangements were made months in advance. We’ve received lies and embellishment, stuck at an airport for hours, the cruise set sail late, which later turned out to be because some folks who were escorted of the ship for drug related issues. To add insult to injury the majority of the cruise had bad weather and on the last day we docked twelve hours early! The cruise in general was not a pleasant one and was extremely disappointing considering our experience on our past cruises with NCL. Finally, speaking to other passengers aboard this cruise who had customer service issues also and had sailed with other cruise lines (Disney, Royal Caribbean and Holland America) we will now consider booking our next cruise with another cruise line.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Norwegian Cruise Lines are dishonest and their cruises are horrible. Right after I booked a cruise on the Sun stopping in Key West for 8 hours and Cuba for 20 hours they changed the stop in Key West to 4 hours. The food on the cruise was disgusting and the same the entire cruise. Bathroom was filthy. Hair dryer was greasy with kinky hairs, grout in tile floor filthy. Obvious holes in walls filled in. Had to stand in line to get number to get off ship in Key West because I did not buy ship excursion. They when time to get off ship they made no announcement and just let everyone off ship. Ship docked late at U.S. Navy pier so we had to be shuttled to town and shuttled back which ate up more of the already shortened time in Key West.

Presentation on ship about Havana gave information. Lots of pressure to buy ship excursions at more than double the price you would pay on your own. Room was barely touched during entire cruise and only mid-day. Mirrors all streaky. $20 a day gratuities per person added for dirty room, bad food, bad food service. My first and last Norwegian cruise. I worked in federal prisons for 25 years and we fed the inmates better food than I got on this ship I paid a lot of money for.

Original review: May 31, 2018

We took the 11 day cruise departing from Civitavecchia (Italy). We flew in a few days earlier and spent time discovering Rome. We are two adults interested in 'adult' activities. There were lots of families with young kids on board and although I can understand the attraction, frankly, I felt there were no limits on where the kids could go. For example, small children were at the dance places jumping around without parent supervision. They were disruptive, loud and out of control. There was no place to escape, they were everywhere. We are not buffet people (also, that's where all the families with kids were) and we experienced difficulty getting into the nicer restaurants. We were disappointed.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Our luggage was lost! Our vacation was spoiled by unnecessary ship renovation works: replacement of pipes and replacement of carpet in rooms. This kind of works should be done in between cruises, not during!!! We had to breathe toxic smell of glue several days after carpet replacement. We didn't sleep the night they replaced the pipes (between midnight and 5 am) of incredible noise. The night light was situated not on the side of the bed, but directly over it on a very little distance from the pillow (around 10 cm). During the whole vacation I hit my head against it at least 100 times while sleeping. This is a brutal violation of safety engineering. To our requests to remove the night light we got a "no".

The food on the boat was of poor quality, looked and tasted very cheap. There were only the cheapest meat and fish options on the menu - pork, chicken, tilapia, etc. None of the typical products of countries we visited during cruise were represented - no olives from Greece, no local cheese, etc. The menu was flooded with cheap American food. The luggage was lost and NOTHING has been done to resolve this situation. No compensation was offered. We need to chase NCL to get anything, while it is NCL who spoiled our vacation! It is unacceptable that a company of such a size doesn't have a clear procedure with respect to lost luggage situation... This trip was a disaster... We will recommend all of our friends never take a cruise with NCL.

Original review: May 21, 2018

The escape ship organised a poker tournament satellite for the main event that will be held in November 2018. The total prizes were 4100$. Norwegian Cruise Lines didnt put any money in the prizes, all the money come from players' buy in (which is ok). The first prize consisted of the cost of the buy in and the complimentary accommodations (I don't understand why the use of complimentary if it's being bought from money of the prize) for the main event held in November 2018, and the leftover which is 1100$ was given to the second place (We were told that the worth of the first place is 3000$).

The first prize breaks down into 1100$ for the buy in at the main event, which leave 1900$ for complimentary stateroom accommodations. When I make my reservation today I realise that if I buy the cruise myself it would have cost me about 1200$ (tax and fee are excluded). Where the 700$ that is missing went. I have been told that because the prize value is based on a full rate value... When they never sell at that price. The only logic I can see is they use the opportunity to manage tournaments prize (again Norwegian Cruise didn't contribute) to sell to the winner a cabin at full price. I don't find that fair. It would have been fair that Norwegian Cruise Lines applies the full winning prize (less the tax and fee) to my reservation. It's too bad because I loved my cruise, everything was perfect beside this.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We are scheduled to go on the Norwegian Pearl to Alaska. We have discovered that they arbitrarily add a trip insurance fee to the reservation and if you do not subsequently reject it, you will be charged this unreasonable fee. After reviewing the telephone recording, it is reported that the agent only said that they would be sending me information about trip insurance. At no time would I have bought this type of insurance. Nevertheless we are now stuck with it. I advise everyone who books with this company to be aware of this practice which I characterize as a scam and ripoff.

Original review: May 10, 2018

NCL Sun Feb 15- March 5 - Very disappointing. The ship was overwhelmed with a virus. I was sick and quarantined for several days. Missed an important port. I was not offered any compensation. The next week the cruise offered monies and half off the next cruise.

Original review: May 9, 2018

We recently had the misfortune of sailing Norwegian Epic for three weeks, in their case bigger is not better. We were required to make reservations for everything, including dinner, so much for freestyle. The same shows were shown over and over for three long weeks. After forty years of cruising this was a first on Norwegian, and the last. Cigarette smoke from casino filters into the dining room "Taste" mid cruise. My husband caught a cold going around ship, he went to the medical staff for lingering cough, they drew blood, did a flu test and strep test, prescribed antibiotic and cold medicine, his bill was $571.39. I still haven't found the right department to file complaint... Nobody cares, it's all about squeezing every last dollar they can.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I booked a cruise on Norwegian for $899 pp for my husband and me for an inside cabin. We requested a cabin across the hall from our daughter so she and her son could be nearby. Norwegian raised the price of our inside cabin to $2459 pp. It "isn't their policy" to correct this. So we are paying $3000 more for choosing our cabin. For the $899 pp they could put us anywhere on the ship. I understand that it might cost a little more to be able to pick our own cabin, but $3000.00 more is unreasonable. We have saved all our lives to have a little extra money in our retirement for some enjoyable vacations. This will not be enjoyable knowing how much we've been charged.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Booked on the Norwegian Dawn. Norwegian Dawn's itinerary for a December 6th 2018 cruise has had a radical change, adding 3 Dutch islands, cancelling 3 lush tropical islands, decreasing shore time, and increasing sea time, because the islands are out of the way. I called NCL, they were still unable/unwilling to give a reason. They are not offering compensation. Do passengers have any recourse? I feel stung by this, and it will probably be the only time I will book with Norwegian. Better than them going bankrupt, but still stinks.

I did not ask to cancel, because I have already booked air tickets. We were originally going to mostly new islands, now mostly going to ones already visited on a Carnival cruise. I have no recourse, but the word needs to get out, to boycott NCL. They ruined my cruise, before I even got on the ship. I see from other experiences described here, it is part of a pattern. Note, they say thank you for understanding, without providing an explanation.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I was aboard the December 16, 2017 sailing on the NCL Epic. What started out as a promising trip became the worst, not only cruise, but vacation experience I have had. On Thursday night of my sailing, I slipped and fell off of a step near the bowling alley and fell flat (no, alcohol was not involved). The crew member behind the alley desk ran to pick up the cup I dropped, not me - the cup, and the other employees in the vicinity just left. Luckily there were 2 guests there that helped me up and one of the guests ran and got some ice for my ankle and knee. The alley worker just returned to his desk without saying anything to me.

I went to my cabin, laid down with my foot propped and ice on my ankle and stayed the rest of the day there. When I awoke in the morning, my left ankle/foot and right knee were severely swollen, my chest and right elbow were scraped and bruised. I went to the medical center, but it was closed so I went to guest services to see if I could obtain medical attention. I was told that there was no one available until 7 pm. I asked if I could at least get an ace bandage bolster my ankle a bit. I was told that I should check the vending machine near medical (I had, it basically just contained aspirin, motion sickness tablets and prophylactics). Then I was told that they didn't have any type of bandage and was summarily dismissed.

Not being able to walk but a very short distance at a time with my injured foot and knee, I went back to my cabin to prop my foot for the remainder of the cruise. Missing Thursday's activities and the private beach port on Friday were disappointing, but not as much as the way I was treated by the ship's crew. I have never felt such a lack of concern from others. To leave someone lying on the floor and not even attempt to assist them up is not just bad customer service, it reflects a deficit of human decency.

When I arrived home, I wrote a letter to Guest Services and received an email (1/9/18) saying that my letter was sent to the Claims department for review and I would hear from them within 8-10 weeks. 3 months later (3/9/18) I finally received a letter from them stating – “We are certain that had you visited the medical facility, proper care and treatment would have been provided.” So, basically they didn’t even read my complaint, as I had stated that I did visit the medical center and I did ask for medical assistance. Since this type of uncaring is tolerated within NCL, I cannot imagine cruising with them in the future and would recommend others not to, for their own safety and well-being.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Norwegian Escape Cruise returning to Miami on May 31st. First the ports of call were completely changed after the hurricane to not so desirable ports, no reduction offered. The stop at Grand Stirrup Cay was cancelled supposedly for bad weather however another ship was tendering there. Conversation amongst the passengers was Norwegian. Does this a lot as it saves them money. Again no reduction offered to us. The food was so excessively salted that it was difficult for somebody on low sodium diet to eat. The ship had 4000+ passengers with one adult pool, deck chairs were very difficult to get. Not the greatest of experiences.

Original review: April 3, 2018

March 24th sailing on the Epic was the worst in my 18 sailings. All others were on Royal Caribbean and they were hands down the best. There was not enough deck chairs for the amount of people. Chairs were already reserved at 8am, not one chair didn't have towels, flip flops or some other personal item on them and were a lot of the times reserved for more than 4 hours with no one using the chairs. NCL did not control the maxim 1 hour rule to reserve the chair. Food was terrible in the buffet and not much better in a couple of the specialty restaurants. The buffet was the same old thing every day. Greasy bacon, runny eggs and not many tasty dishes. One was the Brazilian steakhouse. You would think they would know how to cook all kinds of meat to perfection, NO! ALMOST EVERY PIECE OF MEAT WAS DRY AND OVER-COOKED.

The dining room was better but only ate there once. The food was good. The waiters were friendly and aimed to please. The shows were good and top quality. Musical entertainment on the ship at the lounges were almost non-existent except for a guy with his guitar every night. The top deck was very noisy and very over-crowed. Again no deck chairs to be found and people were forced to find a chair to sit in the smoking area of the ship. The bars were overcrowded and at time would take up to 20min to get a drink. All I can say is don't waste your money with NCL. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: March 27, 2018

It is unfortunate that I am having write a review of this nature. My 14 yr old son and I just returned from our second cruise with NCL. Our first cruise aboard the Getaway was excellent. And to a large degree, so was this last one aboard the Escape. However, we did have a unfortunate accident while on-board. While playing Bocce ball, my son had the ball bounce off the metal bar at the end of the court and rolled into and broke a small window that surrounds the base of the ropes course. Instead of running away as the kids did when it happened, he went and found a crew member to inform them of what had happened. A number of crew came to investigate, both security staff and a supervisor. I came to the scene and completed the required incident report as they would let allow my son, being a minor to do it.

I do not dispute the fact of this incident occurring in any way. My issue however is the manner in which things were handled. On the last evening of our cruise there was a message on the cabin phone asking if I could please attend the Guest Services counter as soon as possible. As requested, I made my way down to very busy desk, as always on the last night. After some confusion as to why I was asked to attend, a very nice young lady from the Finance department came out asking me sign a handwritten receipt, with no details of any kind, to cover the cost of damages caused. I was shocked that I was approached in such a manner. First, no mention was made to me at the time of the incident that we would be expected to cover the cost of the window. Second, no details were provided on this blank invoice/receipt, just a handwritten price of $650.00.

In all fairness, the young lady asked to deal with this was clearly done so by a supervisor, who would not make him/herself available to discuss the issue with me. I refused to sign-off on a blank piece of paper. I did ask that someone contact me to discuss the matter further so we have it resolved. I also asked that copies of all paperwork and photos be please made available to me to which I was told, and I quote "We don't do that". After a second and third visit to Guest Services to try to resolve the issue with nobody appearing to have any interest in it I gave up for the evening figuring someone would contact prior to our arrival back in Miami to get off in the morning but no such call came. After a quick stop by the desk again early in the morning, as we were disembarking early to catch a flight, we left the ship with no further mention by anyone.

Now, 10 days later I find an unauthorized charge against my credit card for the apparent value, in US Dollars. Again after numerous attempts to contact ANYONE at NCL to get this sorted out, no response. It would seem that matter will now find its way to a higher power, as well as public knowledge... Please be forewarned... NCL is clearly looking out for themselves and not the customers best interest.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I am having a similar experience as someone else who already wrote a review. I have 13 cabins book for a cruise leaving Thanksgiving week 2018. When I booked this cruise I was told that we were booked as a group so we can get the group perks and with 10 cabins I would get a cabin free and with 14 booked cabins I would get 2 but that never happen. The person who book us when I call like 2 days after said we are not a group because the group booking were already closed a year before. He did not tell me that before or I wouldn't have booked the cabins. As everyone has mentioned in their complaints don't expect anyone to contact you back. Well I found an email to Frank ** who is suppose to be some kind of bigwig with Norwegian. He emailed me and said he would look into and have someone from VIP desk call me back.

Some lady called me a couple of day later apologizing and telling me they can give us the group perks or my free room but she will give us $50 per cabin not per person to spend on board. If you've been on a NCL cruise you know $50 can't buy you a decent drink or any souvenir. I was disgusted and upset because this is a lot of money that they are making from my group. Now all of sudden the guy who booked my cruise has a big old attitude. Well so do I. Here is his email I want all of us to flood his email box with complaints so he can realize how bad his cruise line is treating paying customers that's if he cares. His email is **.

Original review: March 21, 2018

My 87 year old wheelchair/limited mobility mother booked this trip for our family. A penthouse family suite and a balcony suite for 5 of us. The embarkation in Tampa was a nightmare, even with valet parking, priority status and my mother in an electric wheelchair it was a 2 hour process to get on board. Once on board, my mother, her husband and I went to settle in 12032 supposedly a handicap accessible room. The floor by the fold out couch was soaking wet from leaking windows and we had to have a drying machine placed (huge) placed in our suite every day of cruising.

I noticed the safety rail separating the shower from the toilet was rickety and complained, they fixed it right away by adding 2 more bolts to the loose 2 there. But what could not be fixed was the height of the king bed; 28" so my mother who is a large woman recovering from cancer could not transfer from her wheelchair. They provided us with a step unit (!). This suite is meant to sleep 4 comfortably, but I don't know how that would be possible. I slept on the hard as rock (full size) pleather fold out couch with crate foam on top.

There is also no lamp/light available for whomever sleeps on the couch bed, our lovely butler lent me his personal magnetic flashlight so I could read at night. My mother fell twice off the step unit injuring herself with deep lacerations (luckily did not break anything) and the last 2 nights she and her husband slept on the small hard sofa bed. I would also suggest earplugs, the suite is just off the pool deck and nights that host parties have the booming bass beating in the room till about midnight.

Original review: March 12, 2018

This was my first and last cruise with NCL. (I hate giving bad reviews, but I had to.) My boyfriend and I were really excited about getting some beach time in, but when we arrived to Port Canaveral, there weren't enough shuttles to take the passengers to the beach, having us all wait in long lines. I am a very patient person, but when we had to get back to the boat in a few hours, waiting another hour+ didn't make any sense. Then one of the cruise passengers starts fighting with the bus shuttle guy, to the extreme where it almost turned into fist fight. I just couldn't understand how this massive cruise company didn't coordinate with this bus company. So we bailed, and on the next perfectly sunny day we were supposed to go to this private island in the Bahamas, and when we almost reach it, the Captain says we are cancelling the entire day because it was deemed unsafe.

We were totally bummed at this point, two out of the 3 beach day were ruined. I have to say I enjoyed their shows, and food, but not a ton of options if you're vegan. The boat was very clean, but our toilet wouldn't flush half of the time, making us use the upstairs public bathrooms. I hadn't read reviews before taking this line, but I wish I had, and now that I think of it, one of the dining halls had a residual smell of vomit on the carpeting. We politely expressed our discontent to the front desk staff, but we were rudely dismissed, not one sorry, or "how can we make this a better experience for you?"

Original review: March 9, 2018

I have never been on a cruise before and my friends talked me into going with them along with my boyfriend. The Cruise was hell to say the least. From the very first night the cruise was rocking hard and things in the room were falling and shifting. I began having extreme panic attacks and couldn't sleep the entire night. We were supposed to port on the second and third days (Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau) and we were not able to get off on either day due to strong swells and rough waters. I do not understand why the captain even took us to sea. We spent most of the days in our room lying down from extreme seasickness and the boat was never steady. I hardly got any sleep and had bouts of crying and nausea the entire time.

During the night the boat was shifting so hard it was hard to lay in bed and things were falling. Finally we docked in Nassau Tuesday and all beaches were closed due to high winds. The captain most likely decided to risk docking so they would not have to refund all our money. When we left Nassau the ship was rocking so hard there is actually footage of Hilton Nassau filming the ship leaving. Clearly it was not safe in those waters. I went to the desk and complained and the crew offered no care or sympathy. On top of this, we ordered room service multiple times and the food only showed up once and freezing cold. We felt too dizzy to even walk to the restaurants most of the time.

I could say so many more negative things about this cruise. I basically ran off of the ship when it docked. On top of this, someone fell off the top deck on the final night and the ship had to turn back around to rescue her which in turn caused the ship to arrive back in port Canaveral late. Everyone was angry because people's flights were missed. I am so glad the cruise ship rescued the fallen passenger but this clearly showed how rushed the ship was. They were going 25 nautical miles an hour and top speeds just to get us back from Nassau to port Canaveral on the final night due to having to wait to go to Nassau for the final day. So when the girl fell they did not even have any time to compensate.

The Cruise was literally a mess. This morning I woke up having a major anxiety attack disoriented thinking I was still on this hell cruise. I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling this way. I'm sure it wasn't as bad as the bomb cyclone but once again this shows how bad Norwegian really is. They only care about the money and once they start sailing they will go into bad storms without care for the passengers safety.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

So, I won a cruise at Bingo on my last cruise last year. For starters, it's not free. I am responsible for the taxes, port fees, and service charges. After calling customer service back and forth five times (after the fourth time, I learned of blackout dates), I finally decided on a date, called back, and booked (not the cruise I wanted nor on the date I really wanted). In one of the five phone calls I had with them, one of them said I had 16 days to cancel. With my confirmation, I received the cancellation policy (after I booked!). Here's my issue, three days after booking, I cannot cancel without a hefty penalty fee! I get $100, but $1,100??? For cancelling a FREE CRUISE! It's just NOT right. I'm now waiting on a "manager" to return my call. Seriously! Customer service is horrible! I should have known everything the first time I spoke with someone... not three days and six phone calls later!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Our cruise started off as a booked cruise to St. Thomas, Tortuga, Great Stirrup Cay, and Nassau. Due to Hurricane Maria we were rerouted to a less desirable destination. Jamaica, Grand Caymans, Great Stirrup Cay, and Nassau. Our cruise was booked 8 months in advance. By the time NCL decided to change the itinerary we were unable to cancel or we would have lost money. So what choice did we have. This was the start with our experience with NCL. We booked an excursion to Dunn's River Falls and Bamboo Beach in Jamaica on our first day off the boat. The cost was expensive. $109.00 per person not including the shoes. Dunn's River was ok considering the 1 hour and 15 minute bus ride was scary.

On the bus we were informed if we didn't have water shoes that we would need to purchase them. The tour guides took our shoe size. The next thing you know we are pulling alongside the road to a car with the trunk open and the tour guides are purchasing shoes for us. We had no say in color or style of the shoes and seems a little shady when you pull off the side of the road to car with the trunk open to purchase water shoes. After Dunn's River we were taken to Bamboo Beach. The beach had no seats. We waited 20 minutes to have a seat on the beach. The group was split up. The water was up to the chairs on the beach. We were at the other end of the beach. Food was very slow to be served and we received one drink. Entertainment you could not see because we were at the other end of the beach. The beach was dirty and not a pretty beach at all.

Then our tour guide came around to collect $10.00 from each person who needed a pair of water shoes. Seriously! We were not on the beach long and we were rushed back to the bus for our 1 hour plus drive back. When we arrived back to the ship we went to guest services who then directed us to excursions. We filled a complaint with excursions. The gentlemen I spoke to informed me if we would have booked the excursion with him he would have advised us not to take it. He informed us there is a lot of complaints about that excursion and he was fully aware of all my concerns. When we asked why does NCL sell the Dunn's Fall excursion all he could say was “he is told to sell the excursion”. Really!!! Way to go NCL putting your customers first.

Port #2 Grand Cayman Island. Well could not see that Island. Per NCL the sea was too rough to tender. THE ONLY ISLAND ON THIS WHOLE VACATION I WANTED TO SEE AND THE WATER AND WIND WAS TOO ROUGH TO TENDER. NCL got a lot of money from me and all I got was nothing. Since we were unable to tender to see the Grand Caymans we were stuck at sea for two plus days. Oh what fun it is stay on a boat with 4,000 other strangers. Lucky we were able to tender to Great Stirrup Cay. Very nice beach which it should be because Norwegian owned it. Another cost cut for NCL…

Last island Nassau. Been there, done that. Had no desire to see it but I needed off the boat and so did 50,000 other people from 3 other cruise lines. I really enjoy walking the street of Nassau and being approached by drug dealers trying to sell us all kinds of drugs. If I want drug dealers to approach me to ask me if I would like ** I will travel to Philly only 30 minute drive from my home. I would not have needed to fly to Miami and take a cruise ship to get drugs and SPEND A FORTUNE TO DO SO!

Departure - we were given options to do excursions in Miami. Seriously! Yeah but no thanks. I had a plane to catch at 2:00 which finding my baggage was another joke. We arrived at the Fort Lauderdale Airport 2 hours before we had to board. When we arrived home my husband picked up the phone on Monday to call NCL to let then know the experience we had was not that great for the money we spent. All customer service had to say was SORRY! And to write a letter. Well here is my letter. Since the service was poor and cheap from the get go, I am not a betting person but I bet we receive no response. BEWARE WHEN BOOKING WITH NCL!

Norwegian Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Norwegian Cruise Lines has been in business for over 48 years; it developed the concept of freestyle cruising, which means a relaxed dress code, that lets guests enjoy the cruise at unscheduled, individual paces.

• Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar: The Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar is a bar set in an arctic chamber; the walls, the bar and everything inside is made from ice.

• Waterfront: Norwegian's Waterfront is a quarter-mile deck where guests can walk and enjoy oceanfront views.

• Walk the Plank: Thrill seekers can experience walking the Plank, which is a narrow beam traveling 8 feet out over the water.

• Great Stirrup Cay: One of Norwegian's unique stops is the company's private island, where guests can explore and play in the shoreline.

• Broadway at sea: Norwegian Cruise Lines guests can take in exclusive Broadway shows while on board.

• Best for: The Norwegian Cruise liner is best for budget-conscious families and adults looking for a relaxed, less formal cruise experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Miami
FL
www.ncl.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business