2.87/5

619 Norwegian Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

So last July at 5:00 in the morning I was told by an airlines that I did not have an airline reservation and there is nothing they could do about it. The airline rep was very upset and tried to console me. NORWEGIAN Cruise Lines had made that reservation in conjunction with a Wyndham exchanged Alaskan Cruise. I called every number but nothing was answering until after 9 am. Then I didn't get an apology. I got a, "I'll call you back." They called at 11:00. Hard to understand but they were offering to fly me to catch up with the cruise. Oh, hell no. I can't bounce back that fast and I'd received no apology or explanation.

I was not reimbursed until 2 weeks ago and they did not include interest on this money. I had a feeling this cruise wouldn't happen because the cruise line has not been communicative beforehand. I'm writing this as a cautionary tale about NCL. Their customer service is very uncaring. That offer to catch the cruise is illegal and they provided no apology, explanation or direct contact with me. However, I do now get posts daily from NCL for discounted cruises. Really, I don't feel safe with your poor customer care.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Based on the information of other passenger onboard and in Germany (**), the crew and company knew that the ship will not embark at Warnemunde (Berlin) Germany on 22 September. However, no email was sent to us who embarked at Copenhagen on 23 September beforehand. We were told there was storm at Berlin when we check in. In fact, there was no storm at Warnemunde on both 23 & 24 September. (**). The evidence is clear enough that NCL breakaway didn't depart Copenhagen was not because of weather but other hidden reason and the company knew the reason at least one day before without informing us. We planned the trip in Nov 2017 according to our receipt and paid before the due date. We reserved excursion to Berlin before boarding as well. If the company told us the ship would not embark at Berlin, we might have cancelled our trip.

The same happened in Tallinn. The weather at Tallinn was not bad enough for the ship not to depart. Ferries that were much smaller than Breakaway kept arriving and departing the port at the evening on Sept 26. The weather at Tallinn was clear after 18:00, 1.5 hours delay (**). The rain at St Petersburg September 27 was only 0.08 inches that would not cause flooding (**). All evidence showed that the decision of not departing Tallinn to St Petersburg on 26 September was wrong. We missed 3 out of 5 ports (>50%) in our trip because of the wrong decision. And the crew kept telling lies.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Today I was looking at Norweigan's 5 Free at Sea promotion and considering booking a cruise. I had one or two questions so I called the Personal cruise consultant assigned to me. I asked my two questions and then told him I would probably book this trip through AAA travel agency because I had some significant travel credit with them. He read me the riot act and berated me for wasting his time when I intended to book an fairly expensive trip with HIS Company using travel agent. I was stunned by his response. We will not be vacationing with this cruise line again.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

We arrived in San Francisco for the day (October 3rd, 2018). We were informed everyone had to get off the boat for custom checking, this started at 8:00 am. They were doing deck by deck, ours was the first, but being disabled and a diabetic, I needed to have breakfast first, so I did. Got off the boat around 10:30 am, did a short walk as my husband has disabilities as well. Returned to get on the boat around 11:30 am, but no not allowed to return to the boat until everyone still left on the boat passed through customs.

Well it is almost 2:00 p.m. and the terminal area is now full of a lot of angry passengers wanting to get back to their cabins, possibly have a late lunch and then rest in the comfort of their cabins. When we asked Norwegian how they could trap passengers in a terminal for almost 7 hours, their answer was it was the customs fault! I asked why Norwegian didn't have the customs come on the boat and do their custom checking on the boat, that way after a passenger was screened they could continue to enjoy their day and not be tortured for 7 hours sitting in a cruise terminal. The answer I got was customs refused that option.

I find this hard to believe because we have been on other cruise lines and that is exactly how that takes place; custom officers are all over the boat, in fact they seem to be enjoying everything the boat has to offer especially all their meals are looked after by the cruise lines. I will be getting in touch with customer to find out the truth!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

After several port changes/cancelations wrote to several executives regarding the poor treatment due to a hurricane. The changes were not the issue, however two competing cruise lines offered comps and huge discounts off next cruises. NCL has denied its customers and I have received no responses from CEO of NCL Corp, CEO of NCL Cruise Lines nor EVP of Guest Relations. Disgusted that a loyal customer that has spent a lot of hard earned money with NCL cannot even receive a note back that I matter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

The NCL website is inaccessible. I enter my screen name/pw and the sign-in screen simply returns. I reset my name/pw and the sign-in screen reappears again!

So, I tried calling NCL (3 times) during business hours. They answered on two of those calls after waiting 25 minutes each. The first agent transferred me to another department where I waited another 35 minutes and finally hung up. On my 3rd and final call I finally spoke with Diana in Arizona after a 40 minute wait and I demanded that a supervisor contact me to ensure the check-in process is complete. I’m still awaiting that call.

How can a company as big as NCL not offer the callback feature? “No... Let’s make them wait so we can advertise more over the phone.” Elevator music would have been less painful. My cruise is less than two weeks away and I’m already displeased with their customer service. I cannot get my questions answered and am no longer looking forward to this cruise. I shall consider cancelling the cruise this evening. Even if I could get ahold of someone that may be able to assist me, I’m forced to question the validity in their response. There is no shortage of bad reviews and questionable decisions on NCL’s behalf. Great job NCL. I haven’t even set foot on the boat and am already dissatisfied. But hey... At least I still have both my arms! - $$$. "Aug 2018, Arbitrator Orders NCL to Pay $3,337,500 to Seriously Injured crew member." It’s seems terrible customer service and poor decisions are the norm at NCL.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

This was the worst cruise by far. I had high hopes though, as my first cruise was with Norwegian, which has been the bar in which I measure all cruises; it was very fantastic. This cruise was seemingly doomed from the get go. Getting on the ship was a pain, the porters were not helpful, the food was terrible, the wait staff was hit and miss, the stateroom was way too small for three people, the bathroom was too small for even one person, our toilet was broken the whole cruise, the service desk was slow to help, the service desk was further rude and unwilling to listen to complaints, the NCL reservation staff I spoke to at our first port was highly rude and unwilling to listen (instructed to wait till after the cruise to fill my complaints through their automated review process).

The shows on board were terrible and far too few. There was little to do on the ship that didn’t require a reservation. Some items such as laser tag and go carts had a cost and were not indicated as such at the time the reservations were made. The Wi-Fi service was terrible and barely worked. It cost additional to set up my online account after already paying for Wi-Fi access. The elevator access was terrible. There was no onboard self serve laundry. The on board laundry service was slow overall, was impossible to book reservations due to not knowing what was going on on the ship more than a few hours in advance. There was little instruction on disembarking the ship on the final day. Getting off the ship was far slower than I have ever experienced. I could go on and on but this was horrible. I’m pretty sure I will never sail with Norwegian again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

My wife and I have taken NCL for 18 different cruises. Generally speaking, I was pleased with them all. I read a great many complaints. If you want a really outstanding experience, try and book a haven suite. The caliber of service and the perks are amazing. Now both my wife and I are so spoiled we wouldn't book any other category. From the time you first check in and your butler show you to private waiting area through final disembarkation, when the concierge whisks you off the ship within 10 minutes, believe me, it's all worth the price of admission. We're doing the 19 day trans-Atlantic Oct 2019 and have already booked the haven forward penthouse suite.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

NCL has specialty restaurants available at additional costs. We were traveling for two birthdays and wedding anniversary so we booked 3 dinners plus a dinner/performance. Steak was mediocre quality, two did not allow any selection options, one took upwards of 2 hours due to kitchen delays (the food at this was quite good). Another turned us away on embarkation day for cruise casual attire (my hubby's birthday) despite us checking directly at the restaurant a few hours earlier with posted signage that stated all restaurants were cruise casual on embarkation date. Per the maitre d' NCL changed their policy a few weeks earlier but their signage had not been updated.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I recently completed (8/4/18) a 7 day cruise to Alaska with my immediate family of six and my extended family of an additional 18 travelers. Our aggregate booking probably exceed $30,000. After setting sail, my wife's luggage, containing everything for the week, never arrived in our stateroom. After days of searching and countless calls to us, Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) advised the missing bag had never been loaded on board in Seattle. My wife was forced to endure everything accompanying this loss of luggage; family reunion photos in borrowed clothes that didn't fit, no swimming, exclusion from activities requiring closed toed shoes etc. Guest relations on board placed a small stipend, initially $100 and finally an additional $150 on my wife's account and said they could do no more.

After returning to Seattle my wife's luggage was returned. NCL corporate later said the most they were willing to offer were partial nominal credits (approx $900), toward a future cruise that we needed to book within 11 months. They split these credits across multiple names necessitating we book multiple persons on the future cruise, at far more cost than the compensation offers, to take advantage of the very small offsets. Clearly a ploy to generate additional revenue as we were still reeling from our recent experience. Needless to say, their offer was essentially worthless to us.

The main purpose of this rating is to advise that any future person considering booking on NCL should seriously reconsider. My assigned case coordinator will not answer phone calls directly, the main guest relations personnel are very dismissive and only willing to transfer me to the case agent's voicemail. Despite repeated requests to speak to a supervisor, I have been denied each and every time. I was originally told NCL had 15 working days to get back to me with an update. That did not happen.

There are many more details regarding the callous disregard for the paying customer but suffice it to say, NCL does not care about doing the right thing for their customers. Not a good way to build a loyal customer base. NCL violated a contract I formed with them by providing incomplete service in exchange for the full fund fare(s) we paid. As a matter of reference, I have taken many cruises over the years, on board many different cruise lines and I have never had to write a letter such as this. Good luck if you choose NCL and ever encounter any type of problem.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I traveled from U.S. to cruise on Norwegian Star. Embarkment was swift, and luggage didn't take long to arrive. First problem was the time was delayed leaving the Venice port. The stateroom was not properly cleaned, and I had to do touchup before I felt comfortable. The food was terrible and often cold, or leftovers from the previous day. The dining room menu was mostly the same every day. Entertainment was just fair. Activities were a hit or miss. Tours were overpriced, and not enough time to explore. Getting off the ship at each port was a disaster. NCL needs to do better. We don't travel this far to pay, and receive crappy service. I'll not cruise with NCL again!!! Cruise 09/02/18, Venice Italy, to Greek Islands.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I booked my cruise on NCL.com and paid over 5000.00 for 7 day Alaska. The website said to pick a PERK option so I picked Free alcohol/drinks. When I got on the boat they denied my perk for no reason & they said I was NOT entitled to any perks or free alcohol. They said they would look into it after I complained and 2 days later confirmed that I was NOT entitled to any perk with my booking!! What a RIP OFF!!! I was nickle and dimed for every expense on this cruise with service fees ranging from going into the Jacuzzi and sauna for 300.00 to 8 overpriced pictures for 200.00. I was mislead and feel like it was a bait and switch scam where this company does not uphold its offers and shows no integrity or customer service. HORRIBLY DISAPPOINTING ON THIS FAMILY VACATION!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I want to warn everyone about the service I have received before, during and after a recent cruise on Norwegian Cruise Lines. Before the cruise, anytime I need to call for help, I was on hold over 30 min. before someone answered. Most times, the person was not able to help anyway. That should have been a clue and I should not have booked the cruise. However, I did book and once booked the poor service continued.

I found the service to be deficient. It started when I checked in. I was not given any directions as to what to do. I was only pointed to what I thought was a place to board the ship. When I got to the end of the walkway I was in an empty room with no one guiding me. I had to find someone to ask what to do. At that point I was told to go into another room and I was given a boarding number and told to wait.

When I finally did get on the ship, I proceeded to the dining room where I had a horrible meal. It started off with something floating in my iced tea. Next a Greek salad with only two pieces of lettuce and finally an overcooked, dry chicken. When I got in my stateroom, I found out that there was only one working electric outlet. That is not enough for anyone so I called down to guest services to see if maybe I had just overlooked it. After waiting over 20 min. for someone to answer, I was told that was all there was and I would need to come down to the guest service desk to pick up an extension. I asked why it could not be delivered and I was told that was not possible. I had to go down and wait in line just to get what should have been in my stateroom already.

When we arrived at the first port, I exited the ship and walked around and explored all day. When I returned to the ship, hot and tired from my outing I saw that they were not letting anyone on the ship. They said it was because it was too windy. I have been on many cruises and it was not that windy so I’m sure that was just a made up reason. Regardless, I waited over an hour in the hot sun before they started letting people on and off the ship in groups of around 10. At no time did anyone apologize or explain what was happening.

The final straw was my post cruise excursion, the hop on hop off Miami airport. What a waste of time and money. I had to wait to get off the ship with the group. We then exited the ship and waited by the bus for what I thought was the hop on hop off bus, but no this was just a bus to take us to the hop on hop off bus. By the time we got to the actual location, it was over an hour later. When we got to the location, we had to wait another 45 min. before the bus arrived. By the time I got on the bus, I only had two hours. Since the round trip on the bus was 90 minutes, there was no way to hop off because the buses only come every 40 minutes (especially when I saw that people were waiting to get on the bus and there were no seats so they could not get on). There was a second route that I would have liked to take, but there was not enough time. Needless to say, all I did was sit on a bus for 90 minutes and then wait for the bus to the airport.

When I got home I opened a case with NCL to discuss my disappointment. I have been waiting for over a month for a response that has not come. I have called to see the status and the first time I waited on hold 35 min. before I was told they had 15 business days to respond. Today I called (27 business days) and inquired again. This time I was told the case manager said I would hear by the end of the week. I asked to speak to the case manager and was transferred to a phone that rang for 40 min. before they hung up on me. After this experience, my next cruise will not be with NCL. I just want to let others know about the service that NCL provided before, during and after the cruise so they can make a more informed decision when booking their next cruise.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

We booked a last minute cruise that was supposed to leave in 2 weeks. 3 Days after booking something came up and we could not go. No refund. Incredibly rude support. Do not go here. Go to somewhere else.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

They changed our cruise from Bermuda to the Bahamas! My boyfriend has stage 4 cancer and Bermuda was on his bucket list. I understand why they changed the itinerary but I don’t understand why they can’t just move our trip to the next Bermuda cruise. We are not asking for a refund. We also didn’t cancel our trip so why should we lose the total amount paid? When I asked if they would refund the thousands of dollars between the cruise we booked and the Bahamas they said no. It’s not their policy. This man wants to go to Bermuda before cancer takes his life. It wouldn’t cost them anything to accommodate us. They should rethink their awful policy and have a heart!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

My wife and I both got sick the third day out, when we asked for someone to get us ** we were told we had to see the doctor. We called and he refused to help us. He said we had to come down to the 4th deck. Both of us were unable to move and today after we left ship we are both in bed.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We hated both our cabin (we had a jacuzzi in the middle of the room) and the ship (very crowded with no places to just sit and relax without having to buy something). The ship was obscenely large and crowded. It was embarrassing every time we docked in one of the Mediterranean destinations and the ship dominated the harbor.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We are one of the ones as well that booked St Thomas, Tortola and Nassau and got changed to Grand Cayman, Tortola, Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau. Yes, we were disappointed and mad at first. But you know what? That's NOT Norwegian's fault! We realized that. It didn't make it better, but we understood. Once on the ship, we had such a really great time. We had a few weather issues throughout our cruise that resulted in Great Stirrup Cay being canceled, and Stingray City being closed. But again, that's NOT NCL's fault.

We did have one issue with our housekeeper and a couple issues with a couple staff members but once we brought it to NCL's attention, they tried to make it right. I would absolutely recommend them to my friends and family. Heck, this cruise was just in January and we just booked another one with them in October. Yes, we had disappointing things happen on our cruise, but ultimately you really have to think about what is and is not in NCL's control.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

The Norwegian Sun bartenders in the Pool area were the worst I’ve ever experienced on a cruise ship. Not only did you have to wait a long time for a drink, they made you feel like you were bothering them. And I’m talking about fewer than 6-8 people at the bar. We started getting our drinks anywhere but there.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have taken Norwegian Cruise Lines before beside Royal. Know when we pull into port and there was a few Carnival ship. Wow, Norwegian just overlook Carnival. Looking down on the ship.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

My family enjoyed it. The value for my money was good. Their travel folks help me set up a 25th anniversary vow renewal that turned out fantastic for me and my wife as well as family and friends.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Great staff and comfortable room. However, advertised 2 days in Cuba but actually had 1 day and the other was spent at sea. Surprisingly disappointed in the small vegetarian options. Vegan was non existent.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I appreciate that Norwegian is one of the few lines that provide affordable cabins for singles. They even provide some meetings and dining options for singles to meet and socialize.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Costs depend on what “packages” you get. Drinks (soft and hard) are expensive without the drink package. We also had package options to eat at three upscale restaurants. Make reservations for shore excursions early. We made our recent Baltic cruise the fall before. At our Alaska cruise we waited and missed out on a couple of the excursions we wanted. WiFi this time was a pain. We stayed in airplane mode when on the ship. You could buy access but I understood is was slow and expensive. Overall Norwegian is a fine line. They take care of you and are helpful.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I did a Transatlantic on the Norwegian Epic. The cabins are NOT meant for sharing with unrelated adults. Both would have to get up at the same time. No way for one person to get up without disturbing the other. Sink in middle of room. Clothes in closet by balcony. Stool and Shower each in separate compartments. Not very private. Strange S shape configuration... the sofa wrapped OUT, not in to converse with others. Would NOT NOT NOT ever go on this ship again. No educational talks or programs. No place to sit and admire the waves.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Worst cruise line I have ever traveled on. Freestyle cruising is really terrible. After the first night we made reservations for dinner. Not one time was the reservation correct. We were given special cards for the casino that would ensure good drink service. It was terrible, slow as slow can be. I will never travel on Norwegian again and would never recommend that anyone else take that cruise line.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Overwhelming experience of a lifetime for the money! If you have never sailed to Alaska, this is the cruise that is head and shoulders above the others. No other cruise line could possibly make your cruising feel like one big family.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Older ship but what a cruise up to Alaska and including a great storm with 18 foot waves which put land lovers to their cabins and stage show was postponed. All the slots worked just fine and the food was the best I have ever encountered on any cruise line... 5 stars!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

At time of booking this cruise on July 6, 2018 travel insurance was discussed but I didn't check the documents to confirm it was on there. The week prior to leaving I checked my documents and then called to have it added and was told that trip interruption or cancellation could only be added at time of booking. I booked my flights into Miami via United Airlines but operated by Air Canada and was scheduled to depart Toronto at 8:15 am and arrive in Miami at 11:15 am but due to unforeseen and extremely long lineups in security and US customs I did not get to the gate in time so I watched as they removed my luggage from the plane.

Air Canada then got me onto a flight into Fort Lauderdale leaving at 10:40 am and arriving at 1:40 pm and then I would have to arrange transportation to the Miami port. This flight had a mechanical issue and never left the gate. The next flight to Miami or Fort Lauderdale was at 4:00 pm which would be too late to board the cruise. While I was waiting for the 6 hours to retrieve my luggage I called NCL and explained in hopes of getting a credit for a later cruise and they just didn't care... not even a partial credit for a cruise at a later time. I'm a Silver tier customer with them, but I will never cruise on NCL again! Horrible customer service!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

We have used this line for Hawaii and Europe. Hawaii is fine for this cruise but their entertainment is so so. They had one night when they did a crew night. It was great. Europe is basically the same. The food is great and so is service. I prefer another line when in Europe.

Norwegian Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Norwegian Cruise Lines has been in business for over 48 years; it developed the concept of freestyle cruising, which means a relaxed dress code, that lets guests enjoy the cruise at unscheduled, individual paces.

• Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar: The Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar is a bar set in an arctic chamber; the walls, the bar and everything inside is made from ice.

• Waterfront: Norwegian's Waterfront is a quarter-mile deck where guests can walk and enjoy oceanfront views.

• Walk the Plank: Thrill seekers can experience walking the Plank, which is a narrow beam traveling 8 feet out over the water.

• Great Stirrup Cay: One of Norwegian's unique stops is the company's private island, where guests can explore and play in the shoreline.

• Broadway at sea: Norwegian Cruise Lines guests can take in exclusive Broadway shows while on board.

• Best for: The Norwegian Cruise liner is best for budget-conscious families and adults looking for a relaxed, less formal cruise experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs