1.60/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Norwegian Cruise Lines

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 20, 2017

495 Norwegian Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My wife and I just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Norwegian Escape. The ship was extremely clean and everyone was like family. We have no complaints on this ship. We would recommended the dining package to all. Food was extremely delicious and well worth the price. Also we enjoyed the art gallery and action. Loved it and plan on sailing again with Norwegian. Thanks to all.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

We had booked a suite (#10002) vide booking # ** with a deck/balcony at the front of the ship. Unfortunately the suite was right under the bridge. We were forced to keep the door of the suite closed and even the curtains drawn after sunset. This was a safety requirement since the light from the stateroom reflected on the bridge and impaired crew's visibility. During daytime when we stepped on the deck/balcony, we were conscious of the fact that we were clearly visible to those on the bridge, also the constant movement on the bridge reverberated in our stateroom, day and night disturbing us. These issues restricted us from utilizing the features in the stateroom which cost us more than USD 5250.

It is very unfortunate that NCL was not honest and forthcoming on their booking website of these restrictions imposed on residents of the stateroom. Very clearly we felt cheated having spend such a vast sum of money and not being warned about the stateroom restrictions. We requested the Concierge and then the Guest Relations Manager to swap our room with a more suitable one of equivalent value. However we were informed that there were no cabins available. We requested for restitution for the inconvenience cause to us. But unfortunately no such gesture was forthcoming. We also informed the Captain of the ship about our predicament. But he did not assist in mitigating our concerns.

We strongly feel that we have been cheated of the pleasure of this cruise by NCL by not informing us at time of booking on their website about the restrictions and disadvantages of our booked stateroom. We wish to claim a full refund from NCL for their willful misconduct and unprofessionalism. We await confirmation from NCL that our claim is accepted and full restitution will be provided to us. Thank you.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I am scheduled to cruise out of NY Dec 15th 2018 on the breakaway. I was told I was emailed a letter stating how the breakaway is no longer leaving from NY and that I can change my reservations BUT pay the going rate! My husband and I are both very upset. Been to two cruises with Norwegian, We tell everyone we know about Norwegian yet we have to pay MORE to be put on a boat in Dec leaving NY. I feel the 3 cabins that were booked for the price we were quoted should be honored if not in Dec 2018 then At least July or Aug 2018 going to Bahamas at our current rate that we have booked. I understand if the increase was like $100 per cabin due to Norwegian changes.

Remember this change is on you all not us as cruisers. I have 3 cabins booked and had more people lined up to book with you all. Smh yet all I am being told is you can change your cruise BUT pay the current rate! UNREAL, UNFAIR. This is absurd to me. To treat me and my family like this - my grandmother who cruises often with them!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Just came back from Breakaway. Not only was the service horrible, I was stuck in the emergency hospital on the boat because of the food poisoning. After over $1500 bill and many unnecessary tests, they released me to go home. I tried calling the customer service today to deal with the medical reimbursement to find out that they only cover after my medical insurance refuses to pay, meanwhile, I am out of that money. I am waiting on my medical insurance to deny so I can submit to their medical insurance.

Lastly, I called to have the service charges removed because we tipped who we wanted to separately and don't think that they deserve this money, to only learn that I had to do it on the boat, meanwhile I was so sick I couldn't do it. Their customer service sucked so badly. I submitted a form to guest relations to again wait for another 15 days to hear back. When I asked for a supervisor on the phone, I was told bluntly that no one is available to speak to me. Horrible... I've traveled with NCL multiple times but this was by far worst experience. Never again...

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I've got a cruise scheduled out of Puerto Rico in a few weeks. Hyatt canceled my reservation due to damages. I can't find a hotel that can guarantee they'll be open when I arrive (2 days prior to departure), I begged NCL to reschedule me on another NCL cruise out of a different port. They said no. The country is devastated & they don't care. I have no place to stay for 2 days and they said sorry, that's the way it is. No understanding, compassion, etc. They refuse to try & help with a solution. Frustrated beyond words.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My wife and I took a cruise, September 19-28, on Norwegian Getaway Cruise Line. The staff was friendly and we had a great vacation. When I received my final bill there was a charge of $7.67. I went to customer service and they said the charge was for a beer. I explained to them that I nor my wife drink alcoholic beverages, we never have. Very politely they said it would be taken off my bill.

When I got home the charge of $7.67 was on my credit card, plus another charge. I called Norwegian, they said the other charge was for another beer charge on the last day of the cruise. So I got charged for two beers, plus I was lied to. Either someone got into my room and took two beers or Norwegian is creating a scam on their customers like Well Fargo did. I have one question for Norwegian Cruise Line, if you were me, would you book a cruise through Norwegian? I truly hope this is a mistake on Norwegian's staff and not a scam. If Norwegian corrects their mistakes and refunds my money for the two beers, I accept their apology. All I want is my money refunded.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

We planned a trip to Cuba several months ago with a few friends. We chose Norwegian Cruise Lines only for the fact that their sailing schedule worked for us along with offering an overnight in Havana. On September 29, 2017 the US State Department issued a travel warning urging Americans not to travel to Cuba. Our Embassy there was not only flooded out and closed due to Irma, 60% of all diplomats and families were sent back to the US after experiencing mild brain damage from possibly a "sonic attack".

Both JetBlue and Carnival Cruise Line offered their booked customers a credit if they chose to cancel their travels to Cuba. Makes sense not to travel to a Communist country with no Embassy in place. After several days of being on the phone for 4-5 hours as we got passed along the chain, we still received the same basic reply - use it or lose it. We repeatedly told them we don't want our money back but rather place us on a different ship. We offered to pay a change fee and most of the other sailings would have cost quite a bit more. It is obvious which companies care about their customers experience and satisfaction and then there are those that do not.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

The small amount of $27.02 was added to my account after I left the Norwegian Jade for minibar use. They did not respond to my email request for an email verification that they have credited my account for this amount. Both my wife and I have platinum status with this company. There were 10 bottles of spirits when we arrived and 10 when we left. I'm not accusing anyone but someone has added these charges after I left the ship. My wife and I both had the ultimate beverage package, consumed all of our drinks from the bars and did not drink anything out of the minibar in the stateroom. I have also opened an investigation with my bank concerning this overcharge.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I already had my cruise booked and tried to add an excursion. There was a problem with them accepting my credit card for the excursion even though same went okay for entire cruise. I am guessing this was because I tried to book this on a computer that was not mine and maybe this is a red flag to the credit card companies.

Next I received multiple emails from NCL all of which contradicted each other. Some emails said the excursion was booked okay. Others said that it was not. I called NCL to try to clarify and if there was in fact a problem to try giving my credit card manually over the phone to them. They said that there was still a problem. I said, "Okay, I am happy to take care of it but why are you sending contradicting emails?" Their customer service reps frequently used words/phrases such as "maybe, probably, possibly, could have, perhaps, I don't know." I lose all confidence in what I am hearing when this happens as I imagine most people do. Anyway their rep could not help me understand the contradicting emails from them but did take my credit card and said it went through okay and that my excursion was now booked.

I asked then why does your website say still that I have not pay after I logged out and logged back in. The rep was unable to help and put me on hold for 20 minutes to find someone else to help. In the meantime the site did clear okay so apparently the site just needed time to refresh. However it was frustrating that their customer service is not trained well enough to be able to communicate this and gave me the impression that something may still be wrong.

So now I think the problem is taken care of. However the fun has only begun. Next I get an automated call from them with a machine voice telling me that my payment for my entire cruise is past due and that they are going to cancel my cruise! Website says I am okay. Their customer service reps say I am okay. Automated machine NCL voice says that I am a bum who is not paying my bills and they will cancel my cruise for it. I call again to talk to someone to try and get it clarified and again get what seems to be the standard for NCL customer service reps, a lot of words and phrases like "I think, maybe, supposed to be, I don't know, probably, might, etc." Ultimately I am just trying to find out if they are going to cancel my entire cruise over some confusion over a $29 excursion! Their customer service told me that they thought the machine was wrong and they everything the rep saw appeared to be okay.

Zero confidence instilled in me through the way this was presented especially after their unwarranted nasty phone call to me! I asked for someone who could help me, perhaps a manager and I was abruptly put on hold and left to sit there for about 15 to 20 minutes. Finally someone got on who immediately started with a condescending tone towards me telling me they don't have time to call customers so that's why a machine does it. Not only was tone condescending, but this so-called manager completely missed the point. My issue is not about a machine or human calling me. My issue is about being told my whole cruise will be canceled because I have not paid when in fact I had. I shortened this a little for the sake of not having this review go on forever. To say it briefly, this "manager" continued in a condescending tone citing that they are "a big corporation" and this is how "big corporations" do things.

Ultimately this "manager" said that I had nothing to worry about that my cruise is all set. I said, "You tell me I have nothing to worry about after getting a threatening automated phone call from you that my cruise is going to be canceled." Now even the manager starts using the classic NCL customer service phrases such as: "That probably won't happen," "I think everything is okay", "This shouldn't happen." Again phrases which give zero confidence and after you start hearing them time and time again from multiple customer service reps it becomes quite clear that they really don't know what is going to happen.

I truly hope someone within NCL real level of management reads this and decides they have a real problem in their organization. At this point all I can do is hope that they are not canceling my cruise due to some mistake they have made. I can say with absolute certainty that I will not go on another cruise with them. I will look to their competition. There has to be a cruise line who has their act together better and does not address their customers in a condescending manner. Also for your reference all customer service reps I spoke with refused to give out their name so that I could in any way reference the phone calls that I had with them. This is absolute bottom of the barrel customer service.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Trip to Cuba - Hurricane Irma created flooding and destruction in Havana. I live in Florida and also suffered damages from Irma. No power until a few days right before the cruise. Needless to say these two problems necessitated me to request a cancellation or rescheduling of the trip. NCL replied with "The port is open and we are sailing." No refund no reschedule. Since then I have learned that there is fungus mold and bacteria from the streets that were flooded. The seas were still turbulent as the hurricane was still moving north. I will never use NCL again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I had a cruise booked to leave San Juan, PR on Nov 26th and returning on Dec 3rd. The cruise was going to a group of islands. All but one of the islands was impacted by Hurricane Maria as well as San Juan, PR. I called to cancel, not because I wanted to but because I HAD to due to the hurricane. The island is devastated and they do not plan on getting power back up for about 6 months. St. Maarten was another island we were going to which is also ruined and needs multiple months to rebuild. When I called to cancel through Expedia, NCL told them to follow the schedule of cancellation fees, so when I cancelled my cruise I lost about $1100 due to a HURRICANE, a NATURAL DISASTER that required me to cancel, not because I felt like it but I still lost a large amount of money back. Not to mention this is my honeymoon, both Expedia and NCL have not been helpful at this time and I need my money back. Please help.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Where do I begin? Hurricane Harvey. I have a trip to go to US Virgin Island, British Virgin Islands, and the Bahamas. As of now I don't see that happening. We have called multiple times to see about just pushing our travel dates out or getting a credit for future sail dates. Nope!!! Norwegian says, "No. Can't do that. We will let you know where you will be going." They say more than likely the Western Caribbean. Are you ** kidding me? I did not want to go to Mexico period. That's why I chose the Eastern Caribbean.

I don't want to take my 2 small kids there. I don't feel safe anywhere in Mexico. There is too much ** that happens over there. These ** are telling me I will have no choice. Either travel where they say or lose $1600+ at this point. This is pathetic. Not mine or no one else's fault a hurricane happened. These jerks should give customers the option of sail date or another destination of their choice. They already have right at $2800 from my family. This was to be the first time to sail with Norwegian. It will be the last. Talk about ** customer service. I work in customer service and I would never make someone do or go somewhere they don't feel safe.

I have talked to reps multiple times and same answer. It is in writing we have the option to change ports at any time. Damn crooks. Get your money and can't accommodate you. I spoke with one rep and let her know that if I am forced to go to the Western Caribbean I will blow Norwegian up on social media with bad reviews. She tells me, "I hope you don't mean blow us up at Norwegian." I told her, "You heard what I said. Blow Norwegian up on social media."

So much for that morons listening skills. She was supposed to be a supervisor. All I can say is so far you and your company suck ass. People pay good money to take a cruise where they want and it's your discretion where to change it. I will not recommend anyone to book with Norwegian or any travel agents to book thru them. I will be posting on any and all social network areas.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

We took the mini-suite with a balcony view. The cabin gets tidied up twice a day but poorly cleaned, the sheets felt itchy and horrible and the toilet smelled. Our package was full beverages but they don't tell you that they serve the worst coffee ever and if you wish to have the one that is drinkable, you need to pay full price on board, this, of course, extended to many other beverages, including water.

The restaurants that were included in the package were of the poorest quality or with a cantine-like interior, it really felt like you were in a hospital or a public arena sitting there. We ended up having to pay additional amounts just to dine in the other restaurants which were not included and they were all steeply overpriced. My husband got sick during the last two days and we had to wait till 6:00 pm for the medical center to open, (they only open from 6-7:30 pm) and if you have an emergency you will pay extra to be admitted outside the one hour and a half!! The doctor's diagnosis was that he contacted a virus very common in cruise lines. You would expect the cruise line to have the decency of not charging you for medical care to a condition inflicted by the cruise but we were astonished to find out we were billed $195 for the check up and medication!

The excursions time span was too short to enjoy any location, some times it was barely 5-6 hours. The most infuriating was when we landed in Mykonos at 7:30 am!! What shops, restaurants or car rentals would be open at 7:30 am?? And how much of Mykonos would you be able to see when you have to return at 3:30 pm. This trip was basically a total ripoff, for the quality and service we received. Very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

The Norwegian Breakaway is one of the largest ships I have ever seen, primarily used to store as many people as possible without thinking about amenities for the ~4000 people living in a floating hotel. It is such a shame for Norwegian that I created a ConsumerAffairs account just to write a review on what a terrible experience I had. Norwegian Cruise Lines is a cruise company that will only care about business, business, business. No fun, fun, fun. They even had an entire seminar that was broadcasting on all of its TVs on port shopping at Bermuda. They will try to lure you to buy diamonds from a company that is probably run by Norwegian, eat rum cakes at a tourist trap factory while watching glass blowing shows, and tell you to avoid major city areas because there is "nothing to see." Shore excursions are also a big joke.

Book a private tour instead of a real one, because prices on private tours turned out to be cheaper than the one Norwegian gives. Their tax and duty free shop called Tradewinds is quite a shop. Raffles is always popular around the area. One particularly amusing raffle was for a Bella Perlina charm bracelet which was literally on sale across the deck for $20 for something that was only cover silver (i.e. silver that is probably layered over a nonprecious stone). There was also an event on our last sea day where t-shirts (by the way, they were terrible quality shirts) were 4/$20. Must buy 4 for $5/shirt or else it's retail price, $16.95. The salespeople eventually sold them for $5/shirt without the minimum when everyone else paid for the shirts. The biggest ripoff on Norwegian is their so-called "professional photography crew." There are at least 30 photographers on board, thirty.

Their "professional portraits" are $149 for 10 photos. They seem to pressure you into taking pictures with people in dolphin suits like the ones you see in Times Square. I would rather take a selfie with many people instead of paying over $100 for "professional" photos. I've seen passengers bring cameras that are more expensive than the ones Norwegian uses. Just go to one of the photo booth areas around Deck 7 and take a picture there. They're free, and the borders look nice! Disembarkation is a nightmare. Norwegian has a luggage tag system where people with certain tag colors can disembark only at a certain time. They want to look organized; they are far from organized.

It seems as the earliest people who self-disembark (bring their bags with them) are often mixed with people who disembark "regularly" (crew does it for them and the luggage is held somewhere around the cruise terminal), and people do skip the lines and jump in front of you. I don't know if people are just not awake or something, but there are never any confrontations. In the Breakaway, they utilize the casino as a way of line control, but they fail to mention that the aft lobby is the worst place to go down from.

The lines start from the forward lobby, wrap around the only remarkable decoration the Breakaway has, the semi-spiral staircase in the 678 Ocean Place (which is also a popular point for "professional" pictures), into the casino, towards the aft lobby, then back around to the forward lobby where the officers process you out. Oops, I meant officer, as in a singular officer checking at least 4000 people out of the ship. Moral of the story? You pay for something that you will never get- fun. I have never been so glad to come home from what seems to be a hell-hole of a cruise.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Was issued a $24 Credit because of cruise change from Western Caribbean to Eastern Caribbean due to are on Harvey. Wasn't given the option of refund or another cruise. Been to Eastern Caribbean. Was looking forward to Western Caribbean. Would like at least $500 back. Very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

When booking a cruise on NCL website I got to the payment screen and selected the offer of paying $100.00 deposit and balance on Dec 14 2017 (nearly 90 day away). Put my credit card in and completed the transaction. Then went on and booked airfare and accommodation. Some time later I received an e-mail basically stating full payment was due in 24 hours. Is this bait and switch?

Called NCL and was told I was mistaken on the payment screen. So I went back and started booking that same cruise again. Same due date option were offered, so I took a screenshot. Called NCL back and told them that I had the screenshot. I was told "that is our policy" end of story. Got a supervisor on the call, again "that is our policy". I feel stuck. Very unresponsive company and poor service.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

My employer purchased tickets for a cruise to Alaska for all of the employees. There are 16 of us (employees only) and we had 2 per room. Our reservation includes the ultimate drink package and all fees have been paid. Unknown to us one of the employees added her daughter to the room which then made her a "third". My employer didn't want the other employee that was staying in with the mother and daughter to be uncomfortable so he asked for a volunteer to go in with 2 other employees and he upgraded the room to give a little more room and then the mother and daughter could be together. I volunteered to go in with 2 others.

The problem, is Norwegian Cruise Lines took my drink package and put it on the daughter because she became a "second" and I became a "third". I have called Norwegian and they said they are not able to do anything, I'm a "third". I have emailed them to try and have this issue resolved and they said they would answer in 3 days... it has been a week. I received a call today from Norwegian and are not willing help, discount, or even try to make it right. Instead they said I can purchase the package on my own... another $700 plus dollars... however it was already paid for just transferred without my knowledge or consent. A good company that cared about its customer would make it right or offer a discounted rate, but, it seems as though they don't care... they just want your money.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Really priced well, food was great, entertainment was constant, easy get around. Overall really a lot for your money, almost cheaper than staying home.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Tired of waiting..... While sailing on a cruise I earned with my company in April, I was excited about being on NCL as I had heard they were the best. Much to my dismay, we found the opposite. We had gone through a rain storm, (can't control, I know) but the 5th floor of the ship flooded! There was a waterfall from the 11th floor to the 5th and had to walk out of the dining room in shin deep water. Our room was across from this dining room, but luckily did not flood. Next, we experienced bites, we are 99% sure were bed bugs. We reported it, and were told we should get it checked out by the ship’s doctor, but if THEY didn't feel it was bed bugs, we would have to pay 75.00 EACH! (What are the chances they will admit bed bugs?) We talked with the front desk and said we couldn't wait, so she sent someone to our room immediately to check it out. They were tearing our room apart as we left.

We had to disembark (it was a short cruise) and also would have missed our flight. As we were leaving, they were stripping our room, and told us they would call us and let us know what they found THAT DAY so we would know what precautions to take, and we left our number. (We never received a call). Next problem, it took us OVER TWO HOURS to disembark because apparently it was the ship’s last cruise of the season so they had minimal help. We made it to our flight with 10 minutes to spare before doors were shut. Because we never received a call, we spent $100 + in purchasing bed bug spray after we landed, then had to leave our luggage outside and bring in clothing a load at a time directly to the washer, then had to spray out our trunk and all toiletry bags. We did go to our medic doctor the next day who said "probable bed bug bites" but I unless we have him a bug, he could not put it in writing.

We have plenty of photos! So, we called the cruise line and were told we had file a "written" report. Which I did, and it said to expect up to 2 weeks to receive a response. We didn't hear anything for a month! Then received a "so sorry, sucks to be you, we can't find any reports made by the ship, too bad" email. Then our home office worked with the situation, they were told NCL called us and left a message. We had nothing and no missed calls - Nothing. Then we are told the contact person is now out of the country, and he would call as soon as he returned.

Apparently he went on THREE trips before attempting to call us. FINALLY got a call July 7th and spoke with him. He said "so sorry. I really Shouldnt even be talking to you, but I'll call the ship and see what I can find out. I will get back to you by Friday." It is now AUGUST and still NOTHING!!!! Even if I earned another free trip, I would take the cash and NEVER cruise this line again. It is not even so much about the problems we had, but about their lack of caring and customer service. #neveragainNCL.

Original review: July 29, 2017

We cruised the Mediterranean in mid July and were very happy with our experience. The staff was incredible, the food was amazing, and the entertainment was top notch. We were on the Epic and even though it's large it did not feel crowded. We were one of the guests that got on in Rome and it was by far the easiest boarding processes we have ever experienced. No waiting and we were on the boat by noon and our luggage was at our cabin within an hour. Other guests got on and off in Barcelona which made the number of guests getting on and off in one day more manageable.

We were especially impressed with the bar staff. We purchased the unlimited drink pass and we're glad we did. We would go to the Atrium Bar before and after dinner and Aaron and I ** were incredible. They knew our preferred drink after our first order and they learned our names quickly. The drinks they made were delicious and we never had to wait for service. By the second night they were making our drinks as we were walking to the bar. They truly provided top notch service and always with a smile.

We booked excursions at most ports. Our favorite excursion was the Scenery and Flavors in Palma Mallorca. Our guide on this excursion was very knowledgeable and did a great time telling us about the area. Some over the other excursions had almost 50 participants and it was annoying to travel with such large groups. They were also more expensive than if you were to book something on your own. If you have time to do the research we would recommend making arrangements with other group tours or private guides in advance. Overall we had a great trip. It was nice to be on a ship that traveled to three different countries where all staff understood English well. We had a lot of fun and enjoyed meeting people from around the world.

Original review: July 24, 2017

We took back to back cruises on the Gem then the Breakaway for our 50th anniversary. We had a aft suite that you couldn't stay in very long because they were redoing the deck above us with hammering grinding and pressure washing for 4 days. Once at 3 am. Finally they admitted it was bad a gave us another cabin to sleep in. After contacting the company they said they a not heard of any problems even though I told them we had 3 name cards from staff that tried to help. Then we went on the Breakaway the next week and it took 4 days to get the AC to keep working. They seem to think a bottle of cheap wine will fix everything. We cruised from New York from 7/10-7/24/17 and they have yet to acknowledge the troubles on the Gem. After people spend over $11.000.00 they would care. So you better stick with Disney or Princess cruise line.

Original review: July 19, 2017

We have booked our fourth and more than likely final cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line. Our first two cruises with NCL to Hawaii and the Western Caribbean were so good that we purchased two Cruise Next credits to be used for future trips. Our third cruise in February of 2017, was a 14 day Panama Canal voyage from Los Angeles to Miami that left us wondering where their customer service had gone. For example, one evening I left my iPhone 7 charging on the nightstand next to the bed when we went to dinner. The ship was just leaving port and the phone was secured. Upon our return we found it with a cracked screen.

The bed had been turned down so we were confident it was knocked off by the room steward. We promptly reported the incident to no avail. The room steward denied responsibility so nothing was done by the Cruise Line. In addition the entire process was a joke as the person taking the information demanded a signature but refused us a copy until they had made changes to the report and formally dismissed it. We had credits to use on one more cruise so in March we booked an Aft-Facing Mini-Suite on the Norwegian Sun for an Alaskan Cruise for next year. Just this past week we received an email that NCL had changed the ship we originally booked. Upon our review of the details we found it not only to be a larger vessel with more passengers, the size of our Mini-Suite is 60 square feet smaller with a 14 square foot smaller balcony.

Our original room was 332 square foot with a 68 square foot balcony, our new room is 272 square foot with a 54 square foot balcony. Upon receipt of the notification we promptly contacted NCL to no avail. Their response was it is still an Aft-Facing Mini-Suite within the same room classification (M1). No compensation or upgrade offer was given to us. Based upon these and other experiences with Norwegian Cruise Line on our last cruise we feel our Silver soon to be Gold Tier Latitudes standing has little value. We will, in the future, be booking our cruises with their competitors.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I chose to cruise on Norwegian because they were the only cruise line that offered an overnight in Havana. I absolutely loved Havana, however the Norwegian Sky was not what I expected. The food on the ship was terrible both at the buffet and the sit down restaurants. The quality of the food was as poor as some of the buffets you may expect to find at a low end Las Vegas hotel. I was also extremely dissatisfied with the Cuban Rum and Cigar factory excursion that I took.

I sat on a bus for 3 hours and was unable to go to the cigar factory because Cuba does not allow tourist to enter their factory. The rum factory was closed for remodeling, but they said we could go to a tourist trap gift shop to buy rum. And the museum was closed because they were getting ready for an art show, however we could look through the windows! This tour was a joke and absolutely the worst tour ever!!! I spoke to the excursion manager and he stated that he would note my account and give me a full refund when we returned to land, but that did not happen. They stated that because I went on the tour even though everything was closed they would not refund me. Their customer service is absolutely nonexistent. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: July 11, 2017

I'm on the ship now. Food is always cold, dinner takes over 2 hours because they only have one person working multiple tables with 6 or more guests. Had the manager come over, he apologized but that was all. Purchased 2 chocolate cover strawberry trays; had to call to find out where that was. Then they brought 1 tray instead of 2. Had to go back and get the 2nd tray. Then wanted 2 tips besides the automatic 18% added. Room cabin was not arranged the way we requested, had to get that changed. Glasses have to be asked daily for new ones. Horrible cruise line.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I took my daughter and my niece on this cruise for her 15th birthday and it was the biggest disappointment I've ever encountered on a vacation. We paid for a VIP room in the exclusive Haven section. It was over 9,000.00 for a tiny penthouse suite. The room was so dirty and dusty from day one. The bathroom was dirty and the toilet had urine on the back wall, the toilet, and on the floor. It smelled like urine. The bath linens had other people's hair in it. The bed linens were old and stained and dusty. When I removed the bottom sheet off the bed we discovered a dirty mattress without a mattress pad on the bed. We smelled a sewage smell coming out of the bathroom drains.

The butler was rude and spoke to me in a condescending manner. He rolled his eyes on many occasions when I brought up how poor the room service food was or how dirty the room was. When we called for him he never answered his phone. We only had 3 plugs in the entire suite. Two in the living area and one in the bathroom. The drawers and closets were so dusty and dirty. The outside of all the cabinetry was covered in spills from previous passengers. The doors had spills and mystery looking things all them. The foldout bed mattress was dirty also. This is where my daughter had to sleep. The bed scarf had a huge crusty stain on it. The carpet was stained and the fold out chair upholstery was disgusting.

Then when I reviewed my charges I had mini bar charges for items that we did not use. When I questioned them about it multiple times and to various departments I was told the charge would be removed. It was never removed from my account. All of the specialty restaurants service was slow and the food was horrible. The food was disgusting the entire cruise. They were short staffed in all areas of the cruise. The pool in the Haven and the pool for the entire ship was entirely to small for the amount of passengers on the ship. The concierge in the Haven was rude and also condescending. They were difficult to work with on every level.

I will never ever get back on a Norwegian cruise again. I have never been so happy to get home from a vacation as I was from this one, We never even saw the cruise director one time. The activities were poorly organized and complete chaos. When you ask to speak to a manager of any sort you are put off and it never happens. It was the biggest ripoff and they will never ever get my business again. I just returned today on July 9, 2017 from the Bermuda cruise. Save your money and look for another cruise line!!!

Original review: June 26, 2017

I would like to provide information to other travelers about the Norwegian Cruise Line. My husband and I sailed on the Getaway on June 12, 2017. First, the crew was very nice and our cabin was small but very clean. We had a balcony cabin. However, this ship is enormous. It took a significant amount of time to return to the ship after shore excursions. Also, we missed two ports of call because the ship could not get into Warnemunde in Germany for a day and a half. The weather would not permit the ship to enter the harbor. We went into Warnemunde a day late which meant that we missed the tours we booked. Then, we had to skip a call at Tallinn. So we missed our tour there as well. Other, smaller ships were able to get into ports.

The shore excursions that we were able to take were very good. However, the ship is just too large with very little quiet space or educational entertainment. There was no one aboard to provide information on the places that we were about to see. Most of the venue on the ship are crowded and very noisy. Big party crowd. The large scale entertainment was very good but no smaller groups. Ship has climbing wall, rope course, etc... good for families but not for people wanting intellectual stimulation. Lots of stupid game shows etc... Food was reasonably decent but not great. Norwegian needs to either use a smaller ship for the Baltic or needs to dock at places where the dock can accommodate such a large ship.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I paid extra to have a room with a balcony. The balcony on this ship was much smaller than other ships that I have been on. When we first was waiting to board I noticed others who just came back from Bermuda getting off the ship, in my mind I'm thinking how can they possibly clean these rooms and letting us get on at the same time, so of course my radar is up. I'm OCD about clean room so you know I'm looking, went into the bathroom and noticed fingerprints all over the toilet seat and on faucets, then I noticed lint and small piece of trash was still left on the floor, it's clear to me the floor was NOT vacuum. I brought my own cleaning supplies and cleaned the bathroom.

I have spoken to the person that cleaned my room and told him my room is not clean and that there was fingerprints on the toilet seat and carpet was not vacuum, he apologize and told me he did not have a chance to clean the room because they let us in too soon. He let me know he will do a full cleaning to my room. I understood there's no way they can while they are letting people onto the ship. The cost of my room was around $3,000 and I expect my room to be cleaned. I don't know if they clean the bed after others have left, if they take shortcuts in cleaning they may have. I don't trust that they clean EVERYONE bed so I brought my own blanket and wrapped myself into that and not lay on their blanket/sheets. I wanted to complain but my husband said it's not his fault and if I would say something he probably would get in trouble.

Original review: June 20, 2017

It is very unfortunate that I have to take the time to type this communication. I much rather be spending time and enjoying the last minute preparations for my son's first birthday party for tomorrow. Instead I find myself aggravated and disappointed with the lack of compassion, empathy and customer service skills from Norwegian. To start, I made a reservation for a cruise scheduled to depart on September 2nd from Miami, Florida. Unfortunately my reservation was canceled Friday, June 9th at 12pm due to non-payment. Please note that the only balance remaining was the taxes and insurance, the voyage was already covered.

Six months is a very long time to have to remember a balance was still due. A follow up telephone call, or a follow up email from my planner would have been very much appreciated and helpful. I later learned that a reminder email was sent, however, that email was automatically sent to my junk inbox so I never saw it. However, on June 9th, the same day the balance was due, I received a Cancellation Notification from Norwegian. I immediately called Alfredo **, the person who helped me with my reservation. Unfortunately for me he was out of the office so I left a voice mail. In addition, I immediately followed up with an email at 1:39 pm inquiring about the cancellation notification. I did not recall owing a balance so I was surprised to reach such notification. I did not hear back from Alfredo until June 12th at 10:22 PM telling me that my reservation was canceled. He and I exchanged emails, unfortunately, he was less than helpful and even less emphatic.

As you can see, I took immediate action. I was, and am ready to pay the balance. I am SHOCKED, DISAPPOINTED, and beyond belief that I contacted Norwegian within 1 hour of the notification in order to understand what was happening and pay any balances due and Norwegian refuses to assist me and now wants to charge me over $600 in order to reinstate my reservation. This is unjust and extremely upsetting! I and my family have been looking forward to this cruise. We have made plans and preparations to be able to take our first family cruise. I ask that you reconsider your position and do what is right. I ask that you reinstate my reservation at the original rate. I know you are better than this. I know because my family and friends cruise no other cruise lines because of your exceptional customer service.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I am getting married in September 2017 and decided I would cruise with Norwegian for my bachelorette weekend, HUGE MISTAKE! I had originally booked 9 rooms total however, 3 of them were eventually cancelled. Upon cancelling the rooms my guests had requested refunds prior to the last date to receive full refunds. Sadly they were given a hard time when doing so. Once the guests were fully cancelled we started moving the remaining people in the group around to accommodate those who were still going on the trip. Norwegian was not happy about that at all!!! Simply because they do not have the technology to seamlessly transfer funds from one room to another.

During this process we were told several times "we made a lot of changes to this reservation". As if we work there and that is our concern. As a large corporation that is something they need to figure out on their end as it should not be the customer's worry or responsibility. Norwegian is by far the most unprofessional company you will ever come in contact with. I strongly suggest you explore other cruise lines if you plan to be stress free! Hopefully my experience on the boat is better than my booking experience!

Original review: June 12, 2017

I returned yesterday from the Breakaway Cruise to Bermuda. The cruise went well until we had to exit the ship yesterday. It was very unacceptable. We were on line for over 2 hours to exit. Poorly planned and it seemed whoever the powers may be had not consideration for the passengers. They called all of the colors of the tags together (it seemed) and the chaos that followed was ridiculous. This will probably be the reason I do not book NCL ever again. How ridiculous to treat your paying customers like cattle.

Norwegian Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Norwegian Cruise Lines has been in business for over 48 years; it developed the concept of freestyle cruising, which means a relaxed dress code, that lets guests enjoy the cruise at unscheduled, individual paces.

• Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar: The Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar is a bar set in an arctic chamber; the walls, the bar and everything inside is made from ice.
    • Waterfront: Norwegian's Waterfront is a quarter-mile deck where guests can walk and enjoy oceanfront views.
    • Walk the Plank: Thrill seekers can experience walking the Plank, which is a narrow beam traveling 8 feet out over the water.
    • Great Stirrup Cay: One of Norwegian's unique stops is the company's private island, where guests can explore and play in the shoreline.
    • Broadway at sea: Norwegian Cruise Lines guests can take in exclusive Broadway shows while on board.
    • Best for: The Norwegian Cruise liner is best for budget-conscious families and adults looking for a relaxed, less formal cruise experience.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs