2. Travel
  3. Cruise Lines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.92/5

Norwegian Cruise Lines Reviews

Original review: April 11, 2020

We thoroughly enjoy all of our cruises with NCL. We have never had a bad experience as people have had on other lines. The entertainment is great, food very good, plus they have a good selection of tours. In fact, we have one in storage now, as we were supposed to go on March 26 for 11 days, but they put it in storage where we can use it up to 2022. The thermal spa is relaxing and enjoyable especially on the days when the ship is at sea.

Original review: March 27, 2020

On our last NCL cruise I was quite disturbed by the embarking and disembarking process. I have sailed NCL for many years and I never entailed this type of process. We are platinum members and we were never corralled in an area and called to board by color. What was the point of asking what time you would like to check in? It was redundant. We sat for a long period of time before we were called. Regarding disembarking, we never were corralled and in a line moving around the ship to get off. This was ridiculous ; we must have walked around the ship in a line numerous times before we hit the exit. I don't know when NCL started this process but it was quite disturbing.

Get buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Okay, I will start by saying this was my first cruise and it will not be my last! I loved it! Yes, there were issues, like the in cabin safes did not work in many many of the rooms, but I didn't bring any valuables, so no biggie to me. The bartenders were not friendly and it was difficult on the first day waiting for the bags to arrive to even get a drink. The best: my room was clean and smell-free!!! I was very happy about that! The food was great - even at the buffet - yes, you would see many of the "leftovers" from the specialty dining at the buffet so I would not purchase the specialty dining package again.

There was tons to do. We went to every port and it was smooth sailing until the very last day at sea, but it did not bother me - I gave my sea bands away. The pool was small, but I don't really spend time at the pool so no big deal. The hot tubs were almost always packed - some with kids - that was irritating. But overall, I give it a 4 star and I am planning my next cruise. I loved it so much! The spa was excellent also and had a couple of excellent massages. I would do things differently on my next cruise, but that is all on me. Don't let them sell you on extras!!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

We have cruised Norwegian 5 times, Royal Caribbean 1 time and Carnival one time. I would say Norwegian and Royal are about on par with regard to elegance, comfort, service, food (quality and choice) and amenities. The ship we were on with Carnival was the oldest in their fleet and due for renovations, so it is hard to judge their overall quality - but our ship was quite shabby and rundown. The food was definitely not on par with Norwegian or Royal. The service was excellent as with the other 2 lines. We prefer Norwegian's "free style " dining to the other lines' assigned time and seating dinning. Although on-your-own dinning was available with Royal, it was harder to get a seat than we have experienced with Norwegian. We really like and recommend The Haven section of Norwegian ships for the traveler not on a tight budget.

The adult only indoor pool in Royal's ship was a very nice amenity, too and was open to all. When I booked our very first cruise (ever) it was with Norwegian and I joined the Latitudes Club. That very first time I was assigned a personal representative and she kept in touch before and after the cruise. Subsequent reps for the company have been in touch with annual phone calls and occasional emails with offers. These contacts are not too frequent or bothersome and have resulting in 2 bookings with some great deals. I appreciate the customer service and having a dedicated person to call/email with questions. I also joined the "clubs" of Royal and Carnival but have never heard from them again (other than an occasional generic ad). No one from those lines pursued my future business. A loss for them.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

We have cruised with NCL several times, including our last, a 16-Day Panama Canal Cruise departing from California in 2016. We had an absolutely wonderful time on this cruise. As a rule, our dinners in the Specialty Restaurants were superior to those in those considered to be "complimentary." However, we entered into a drawing for a dinner with the Officers and had the great pleasure of winning and participating in that dinner. After having to postpone our upcoming cruise, we hope to experience another great cruise with NCL on our forthcoming NCL Transatlantic Cruise from Copenhagen to New Orleans in OCT-NOV 2019. I'll happily update my review after this cruise.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?

Original review: May 20, 2020

Horrible. I have been jilted out of $3,000. I paid for a cruise in June of 2020. The cruise was cancelled; I rebooked for 2 weeks later and was told if that cruise was cancelled, I would get my money back. Well, guess what? I can't get a refund--just a future cruise credit for a near bankrupt company. Titanic anyone? AVOID at all costs.

Original review: May 15, 2020

We booked and paid for an 11 day Mediterranean cruise for end of May 2020 in October 2019. NCL canceled the cruise in April of 2020 but offered a very narrow 6 day window for refunds or 125% of the paid price used on a future cruise after October of 2020. We missed that window by one day on accident as it was May 13 and we thought it was the 15th so on the 14th they refused refund. Then to take advantage of the offered discounts of 20% off on future booking it had to be done by the 15th. That is where we got the idea we had till then to get a refund. After long arguments they have refused to budge on the refund. They sent many emails reminding you of the re-booking offer by the 15th but never anything more about refunds by the 13th. Very confusing and deliberately deceptive.

So after realizing we had no chance for the refund on the 14th we began trying to quickly find a way to take advantage of the 20% off on future bookings made by the 15th. At this point we realized the scam was getting deeper. They had raised prices and repackaged the offers to remove any benefit to re-booking. We thought with a 25% premium credit on for future bookings and 20% off if booked by the 15th perhaps we could end up with more value for our purchase and it may turn out ok, maybe even a credit towards another cruise along with the one already purchased. NO CHANCE. NCL has done a lot of work to make sure you as the consumer lose in this COVID 19 mess.

The best we could do with 125% of our purchase price and 20% off future cruises was to book the same basic cruise a year later while they keep our money and end up with a small credit balance. The small credit is not worth taking a future cruise to get so you just lose it. Thus the 20% off and 25% extra is completely a scam to force you into booking quickly when they refuse a refund.

One would think there will be significant discounts on cruises once things open back up to get people back traveling, especially on airlines and cruises as they stand to have the worst losses in this mess. My suspicion is that is the reason for the 20% scam discount on future cruises if booked by May 15th. They are trying to shake out everything they can from people who have already paid them before they have to start discounting in an attempt to fill the ships. Let's hope they don't go bankrupt before next year and we lose everything already paid which is a very real possibility for many travel related companies. After many NCL cruises this will now be the last.

Original review: April 24, 2020

We had a cruise booked, but was cancelled due to Covid 19. It has been over 20 days and still no refund. Every time I call I get the run around. 90 days for a refund!!! What a joke of a company, don’t trust!!!

Original review: April 23, 2020

My wife and I paid for a cruise (about $6,300.00) for us, our son, daughter-in-law and grandson on the Norwegian Joy from April 25 to May 2, 2020. We had to make payment in full by late December 2019. When NCL cancelled the cruise in early April 2020, it prohibited my requesting a refund until April 13, 2020. I completed that online refund request on that date.

I complained to NCL about the length of time and I did get a “boiler plate” response to an online complaint yesterday to NCL’s Guest Relations area, but if failed to address the commercial reasonableness of 90 days for a refund. That amount of time to process an electronic credit to my credit card is simply not reasonable. I suspect that NCL is delaying refunds to allow it to use my and other passengers' money for as long as it can. NCL has already had the use of my payment in full for almost four months. I saw in SEC filings that NCL very recently borrowed $1.55 BILLION and several of its senior executives are selling NCL stock.

I would not send any money to NCL at this time. I think that the facts noted here raise concerns about the security of any money sent. I simply want my full refund credited to my credit card which should take no longer than 10 business days from the date I was permitted to make that request, i.e., April 13, 2020 plus 10 business days is April 27, 2020. Any time beyond that should include interest.

Original review: April 23, 2020

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) refuses to honor refund policy: My request for a full refund for a future cruise has been denied. Amount Paid: Original deposit for 6 cabins ($50 per person) = $700 paid January 21, 2019. Final payment for 6 cabins = $40,907.10 paid on February 14, 2020. Total amount paid = $41,607.10. I made the original group cruise reservation with Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) on January 21, 2019. The 7 day cruise is scheduled to embark from Honolulu, Hawaii on June 20, 2020. The final payment deadline (and deadline to cancel with a full refund) was February 21, 2020 (per NCL policy, 120 days prior to the start of the cruise). I made the final payment for all 6 cabins on February 14, 2020. After the full refund cancellation date, the COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) became a nationwide concern. Federal authorities recommended that cruise ship plans should be canceled.

On March 5, 2020, I called two different direct group sales specialists in the NCL Sawgrass, Sunrise, FL office. I spoke with Frank **(**) at 9:14 AM and 4:28 PM and Paula ** (**) at 6:07 PM. Both group specialists informed me that the deadline for final payment (and deadline to cancel with a full refund) had been changed from 120 days prior to 90 days prior. They both told me, in separate phone conversations, that my new deadline to cancel with a full refund would be March 22, 2020. I relied on this information and deferred my decision to cancel. Over the next few days, I discussed the possibility of canceling the cruise with the other 14 family members on my reservation. On Monday, March 9, 2020, I called and tried to cancel all 6 cabins. I was informed about a new "Peace of Mind" policy. I was also told that the previously announced 90 days prior to sailing cancellation policy would no longer be honored.

For some passengers, the new NCL "Peace of Mind" policy (which offers a Future Cruise Credit or FCC) is very generous and consumer-friendly. However, for my particular situation, I did not want to reschedule my cruise - I wanted a full refund. NCL has reneged on their 90 day full refund policy announcement. Once the NCL reservation staff notified me about the new 90 day refund policy, I feel strongly that the company has a moral and ethical obligation to honor that policy (allowing me to cancel for a full refund NLT March 22, 2020). I spoke to Ms. Mary **, a reservation supervisor in the NCL corporate office, at 3:30 PM on March 9, 2020. I explained my situation in detail. Ms. ** refused to honor the 90 day refund policy and refused to give me a full refund. I asked to speak to her supervisor (Mr. Jonathan **). Ms. ** refused to provide a phone number for Mr. **.

Ms. ** informed me that she was the "final decision authority" regarding refund requests. I spoke to Ms. Jordan **, a reservation supervisor in the NCL direct group department, at 1:50 PM on March 16, 2020. I explained my situation in detail. Ms. ** refused to honor the 90 day refund policy and refused to give me a full refund. I am asking NCL to do the honorable thing and stand behind the 90 day refund policy and provide me a full refund for all 6 of my cabins.

I wrote a letter to the CEO on March 16, 2020 but did not receive a response. I also made a formal complaint to the southern Florida Better Business Bureau (BBB). Norwegian wrote back to the BBB and denied my full refund request. My Desired Resolution: I am asking NCL to do the honorable thing and stand behind the 90 day refund policy and provide me a full refund for all 6 of my cabins in the amount of $41,607.10. After this experience, not likely I will cruise with Norwegian in the future.

Norwegian Cruise Lines author review by ConsumerAffairs

Norwegian Cruise Lines has been in business for over 48 years; it developed the concept of freestyle cruising, which means a relaxed dress code, that lets guests enjoy the cruise at unscheduled, individual paces.

• Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar: The Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar is a bar set in an arctic chamber; the walls, the bar and everything inside is made from ice.

• Waterfront: Norwegian's Waterfront is a quarter-mile deck where guests can walk and enjoy oceanfront views.

• Walk the Plank: Thrill seekers can experience walking the Plank, which is a narrow beam traveling 8 feet out over the water.

• Great Stirrup Cay: One of Norwegian's unique stops is the company's private island, where guests can explore and play in the shoreline.

• Broadway at sea: Norwegian Cruise Lines guests can take in exclusive Broadway shows while on board.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team