Norwegian Cruise Lines

Compare Cruise Lines

Research top Cruise Lines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

First off we booked and paid for liquor packages and now that we're on the ship they are saying we don't have the passes that it was switched to an excursion which is not true!!! We have the email confirmation to prove it and they still aren't honoring it!! First they told us because they switched our rooms that our drinking passes are on our old room with the people in our original room and that it was a MIX up now all of a sudden we switched to an excursion!! That is a lie!!

Norwegian Cruise Line is pissing on our back and calling it rain!! Also the sheets smell musky and they don't smell fresh! The food in the buffet is always the same!! The cleaning and cooking staff is very sweet that is the only good part!!! We are such good Norwegian-returning customers that they brought us a bottle of champagne to thank us to our room... and now this!!! Will never be taking Norwegian ever again and will spread the word like the plague! Just like this cruise line -> the plague!!!

I had a reservation to fly from Las Vegas to Copenhagen via Stockholm Arlanda. When I arrived at the airport to check in to my flight, there was no one at the Norwegian Air counter. I waited there for some time, but no one arrived. I tried having them paged multiple times over the airport PA system, but no one came. I tried calling Norwegian on their customer service line multiple times, but they said there was nothing they could do. The airport refused to connect me with the gate desk, so I was not able to get anyone to come to the check-in counter.

Eventually the flight left, after which the agents came out and said there was nothing they could do to help me because the flight had already departed. I called Norwegian Air again and they said that there was nothing that they could do and I would have to purchase new tickets. They did not have another flight leaving that day and I had to get a hotel. I have tried submitting claims with Norwegian Air on their website and their Facebook page, but they have not even responded to my complaints. As it stands they owe me approximately $1,100 for the replacement tickets, hotel, and transportation. Other airlines may cost a bit more, but nothing is worth the hassle they have caused me and the full day of my vacation that they cost me. Do yourself a favor, NEVER FLY WITH NORWEGIAN AIR!!!

Norwegian no longer allows you to bring bottled water onto the cruise ship. Carnival has same policy. Whereas Carnival charges less than $5 for a 12-pack of 16oz bottled water, Norwegian charges over $6 each for 1 liter bottles. I believe this constitutes price gouging considering this is not a luxury item. We drink bottled water daily when we travel. This reason alone prevents me from returning to NCL.

This is the 2nd issue with the cruise line & our last. We booked a cruise on Norwegian in 2015 for a December 2016 sailing using a $250 cruise credit. My mother passed away a few days before the December 11th cruise so we were forced to cancel. The same day my mother died Norwegian sent an email stating that the cruise credit had not been used & we had until December 31st to book a cruise using this credit. On December 30th, I attempted to use it to no avail. Customer service told me I would need to contact the Latitudes Dept but they were closed until after the 1st of the year. The customer service person sent me an email the same day giving me the direct number to Latitudes Dept. I tried to call Latitudes the following week to book a cruise & get the credit only to be told NO it had expired. So we are out of the $$ we paid in advance for a future cruise with no consideration of losing a family member. Never again with Norwegian.

My experience with the NCL call center is very disappointing. I have a booking number ** for a sailing 12/18 during Christmas and New Year holidays. I called NCL to cancel the booking due to the higher expense during these 2 holidays. I wanted to discuss booking travel for different dates to lower the cost of the vacation. My sales agent was not in so I was transferred to guy named PJ? TJ? His greeting was not inviting nor was the rest of the conversation. I gave him my name and he said "ok. I will cancel it." I was waiting for him to ask me why I needed to cancel or if I would like to talk about booking another cruise. However, he told me he would cancel it and was going to end the call. I asked him if there was a cancellation number. He responded it is the same of the booking number. I then asked a follow up question, "if I would receive an email confirming the cancellation." He told me I may get one.

I again questioned him that I may get one? And his response "yeah yeah you will." I have been cruising with other cruise lines for many years. I thought I would give NCL a try. I am truly grateful that I did not spend the HUGE amount of money that this trip was going to cost. If this type of customer service is what I can expect on a cruise with NCL, I would rather book on another line. Trying to get a hold of a manager is almost impossible. I do not recommend this cruise line.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?

I went on my first cruise on Nov 20th of 2016. We departed from NYC on the Norwegian Breakaway and headed on our two day trip to Florida. I knew from the beginning that we were not going to see much as we would be traveling for days so I tried to be open minded. For starters the food which I was told was amazing, was terrible. The food court was like we were eating at a fast food restaurant with no real healthy options except the under-ripened fruit. We tried a few of the other restaurants, but we were not impressed. One night we had paid to go to a cirque de Soleil dinner theater, the entertainment was very good, the food was terrible. The shrimp was almost raw and I do not eat steak and told them to not bring me steak but they did anyway. They brought my steak back and added more raw shrimp. The drinks however were good and we had plenty, the entire trip.

After day three one of the other people in my party had mentioned that their sheets and bed were stained and filthy. So I decided to check my own bedding, which by the way none of the mattresses had mattress protection, just a flimsy fitted sheet. Anyway I found my sheets and bedding were in fact stained from previous passengers, including my extra bedding. The walls and rug were also filthy. I did not complain, but I did take pictures. Finally we reached our Florida destination and the lines to get off the ship and then to our destinations were ridiculous! We were traveling in the end of fall so daylight was like gold... by the time we got onto our shuttle and to our destination, we had lost 2 hours of sun. WE made it to our destination by 2:30 pm, get an hour or two of sunlight and then had an hour to spare before we had to get back on the ship.

THEN the next day we had a charter to get to our paid excursion and again with the lines! Took us about 2 hours waiting to get off the boat to get onto another boat with about another 30 min wait as the boat rocked and tossed. Of course the sun decided to take a break this particular day, which I'm not blaming the cruise for it was just really unfortunate. Then we had to wait in lines for the food. It was just so disorganized. The entire trip was disorganized. The third and final day in the Bahamas was the perfect day, we had a wedding this day and the weather couldn't be more perfect, the food, the people were wonderful. NOTHING to do with the ship. I extend my gratitude to the wonderful people of Nassau for giving us just ONE perfect day, again NOTHING to do with Norwegian.

My final complaint was the checking out process on the boat when we arrived back in NYC. LITERALLY took two or three hours in lines with all of our carry on bags. Again a disorganized nightmare! I just don't understand why this whole process took so long and what they could have done to make things work more smoothly. We all had labels and times to disembark and clearly it didn't matter. Honestly this was my first and last cruise experience. It was way too expensive for long lines, subpar food, and filthy sheets. AND the amount of money we had to shell out for the service charges, i.e people to clean up after us... I had a dirty room with dirty walls and sheets and carpets what exactly did I pay for?

NCL cruise line not delivering on what they advertise. Cancelling ports of call just a week before cruise ready to leave and money has been paid with very little compensation.We are getting half a cruise for top dollar spent. Offering $500 credit and 25% off next cruise is not acceptable for an $8000 cruise. We are getting half a cruise 2 of the main ports cancelled and the view into Milford sound cancelled so what is the point of the cruise then? This cruise just becomes a very expensive floating $8000 hotel.

We called customer service got passed on from rep to rep with the same spiel... we did work our way up the chain of command to the executive apparently as far as we could go... she didn't offer us anything more but we think our frustration was noted and we are hoping anybody else out there feeling the same way as us will continue to the upper executive with their dissatisfaction and complaints. This is the only way we are going to get thru to them. We told them we do not want their credit for another cruise with them. We will not be coming back to Australia again. We are from Canada this was a retirement trip of a lifetime for us that is why we chose this cruise because we wanted to see the places they were offering and they cancelled all those places because their ship is not being maintained and is in bad repair and cannot maintain the speed to go into the ports in the allotted amount of time needed for the 12 day cruise.

It is not acceptable. Their offer is ridiculous we will not be sailing with them ever again. We see online this has been a problem with their ship off and on for a year now so they have been limping it along without actually fixing the ship and taking people's money and when it breaks down again offering ridiculous compensation. This is a Scam. NCL is setting themselves up for a class action suit they should not be able to get away with this scam. Please anyone considering taking a cruise please be aware this is a company that is only interested in taking your money and not delivering on what they're advertising.

We went through Costco Travel and we will be letting them know their members are getting scammed. We asked NCL for 50% of our money back because we are getting 50% of the cruise and they were not willing to help us said, "You get what we're offering in credits and that's all we are offering." They clearly don't care about appropriate compensation for their customers when it's their fault their ships are not being maintained. We are frustrated and disappointed our dream trip has been taken away from us and on top of it have paid the price in big dollars. We will take the cruise as we have no choice but certainly not with the same excitement and exuberance we had when booked this trip in November. We hope if nothing else we can prevent someone else from having their dream vacation destroyed by this insensitive rip off corporation. :((

Long story short, I had a severe allergic reaction to peanuts -- traces of peanuts that were not supposed to be in the dish, as it was not traditionally a peanut dish & there was no mention of peanut inclusion on the menu. I spent the night in the ship's med center and left with a $650 bill. After the cruise was over, I contacted NCL Customer Service to rectify the situation but was instead told that it was my fault for not telling their "Access Desk" that I have a peanut allergy -- not that they were sorry for serving a non-peanut dish with peanuts in it. So, yes - in 23 years of living without a severe reaction by simply reading the menu, I now am being blamed for essentially not knowing how to live with a food allergy. Not even a mention of a medical bill refund, travel voucher or even a coupon for an NCL key chain. Sad.

My son and I took NCL for the Hawaiian Island cruise. We paid for a balcony cabin with two separate bedrooms and got a studio balcony cabin with one King Bed and a pullout couch next to each other. The pullout couch had bedbugs which became obvious from the first night we spent as my son was covered in bites the next morning. The shower was broken and was not fixed until the third day. Our complaints were ignored, we never did get separate bedrooms and they did nothing about the bedbugs. We had to buy bedbug spray at the first port and kill them ourselves.

Then at dinner in one of the pay upfront restaurants on the ship, I ordered lobster bisque. When I started eating the soup, there was no lobster at all and the soup tasted like pumpkin. When I told the waiter I had no lobster in my lobster bisque, he laughed and said it was pumpkin soup as they were out of lobster bisque. I was not amused. I paid for lobster bisque and received pumpkin soup with no info they were out of lobster bisque. They thought they could charge for lobster bisque and give me pumpkin soup and thought I wouldn't notice. We ended up eating at the buffet from then on because it was all inclusive with no surprises and overcharging. I do NOT recommend NCL CRUISE LINES. They lied about the rooms and food, overcharged for them, and had BEDBUGS which we had to buy bedbug spray ourselves to kill them ourselves.

I've had a very good experience. The European Cruise is great. Everything in the inclusion was nice and the balcony is a must. The trip was a great way to see a bit of several countries. I saw 3 three countries in 7 days, nice way to do and you can go back to the ones that you liked best and you can decide which excursions best appeal to you. The only problem was it would have been nice to have a little more time at each spot.

The cruise was fun and relaxed with as much structure as you want... or don't! They have wonderful itinerary options at every port. The amazing staff were there when you needed them and invisible when you didn't. They have premium, freestyle dining and drinks. It's a perfect getaway for couples and an amazing selection of programs for kids. It was my first experience on a cruise and cannot wait until we do it again!

My experience was simply fascinating and breath-taking! The cruise is delectable and the value is superb. The itinerary was delightful and the inclusions were extraordinary. It was simply a glorious adventure. The crew was very professional, knowledgeable, experienced and experts in their duties. They provided top level customer service. The entertainment was varied and top of the line. The dining experience was 4-star quality.

Cabins are plenty roomy, layout of ships are excellent. I had lots of time in ports and the best entertainment & activities on board! Southern Carib was outstanding! Great quality of service, top notch entertainment and variety of choices. Can't beat the price when they have a sale! The newer ships are better since it has more options, better service, and better food. The older ships seem to be the "training" vessels for new crew (and chefs?). The outdoor activities are more varied (zip lines, water slides etc) and there is entertainment all over the ship, not limited to the big theaters.

I've had a very enjoyable experience. The quality of the cruise is very good and their itinerary is well organized. They had great restaurant options, although had to pay extra for most of them, and good quality shows. I especially enjoyed breakfast out on my balcony every morning. Lastly, everybody was friendly.

The food in restaurants was barely average. They have good service and staff, but nothing outstanding, special or memorable. The biggest problems are with management and their failure to respond in any way. They failed to provided contracted and paid for dining package and after 2 years we have yet to hear from this company after several letters, emails and telephone calls. We have been on dozens of cruises. We are ex travel agents and tour operators, now retired and Norwegian is nothing special even with a balcony cabin. We will booking family reunions and a positioning cruise and feel that this company doesn't warrant our business. Buyers beware!

I've had a home-like experience while visiting the world and the cruise was outstanding. They had great tours and it's worth every penny. My itinerary was Panama canal, Costa Rica, Columbia and it was magnificent. I would not have missed it for anything. I had great memories and many pictures, especially the wild monkey pics. Also, the arrival in Fa was spectacular. There were buses standing by to transport us to the airport.

ALL services and food sucked. The QUALITY of the cruise is very poor. The cruise was included with a package deal with our flight to Hawaii and cruise from one island to another for one week. After the cruise we decided to stay on one of the islands for a week. To change our flight back to the mainland the cruise line wanted $1000.00 extra, so we called the airline directly and we actually got a refund because the cost of the flight went down. We were supposed to cruise to Cooks Island, but the cruise line told everyone that they have engine troubles so we would not be going to Cooks Island. We were then told that they always told that same lie for two years from the locals on the islands. All the land itineraries were so expensive that we rented a Chrysler convertible for $65.00 per day and drove to the destinations we wanted to see. More than 1/2 the prices through the cruise line and no waiting for hours to load all the people on and off the buses.

Some of the shows were good. We will stick with Royal Caribbean cruise line. They have never failed us. We had an interior stateroom (like a metal cell) with a area about 4 foot in diameter near the foot of the bed and at the entrance to the bathroom that sounded like a kettle drum when we stepped on it. The noise was so loud that security knock on our door and told us not to walk on that spot. So I constantly stepped on the spot while they were there to show them it was an unreasonable request. After 24 hours they moved a couple from an ocean view balcony to a master suite and gave us their previous room with the balcony. This was the only good thing about the ship. We always got off the ship ASAP and returned to the ship as late as possible and ate most meals on whatever island we dock.

This cruise was cheaper than traditional vacationing where you pay for each meal, handle transportation and excursions as they happen. There are many activities to do on the ship that getting off for excursions isn't really necessary if you choose to stay on the ship the entire cruise. Many options for every age group with reasonable costs for the very minimal activities that are paid. All you can eat buffets, fancy eateries, daily shows, swimming and much more are all included in the cruise. Every area of the ship and experience was superb.

Having daily housekeeping, lots of eating options, casino, gift shops, onboard pictures, top notch specialty shops, daily sales, are all that made this cruise fabulous! The off ship excursions were great and affordable also. NCL was my first and now the only cruise line I'll use for my cruise vacations. They offer perk rewards for future cruises and give onboard credit when you put a deposit for a future cruise. I loved this cruise more than any other vacation I've ever been on before.

They have great and very accommodating staff. They enjoyed my grandson on the water slide so much that they gave him free t-shirts and gifts to take home. It was and excellent cruise and we look forward to using them again!

Everything was on point. The cruise was clean, prestigious, and very well maintained, although they were a little pricey. The itinerary was perfectly spaced and the inclusions covered the basics and food. Had some free shows and it was in line with other cruise liners. Also, the staff was friendly and rooms were cleaned daily in a timely manner. In addition, the buffet was fresh almost 24 hours and did not feel the need to pay for premium restaurants. The stand-up comedy show which is included was great. The musical was entertaining and highly recommend it. Overall, a great experience.

My family and I saved for a year to take a Norwegian cruise. Our ports of call were st Thomas Tortola and the Bahamas! We had all inclusive beverage packages and charged for wine with dinner. We never got our cabin cleaned the first two days and had to complain and keep requesting for it to be cleaned. They charged $10.00 extra for room service. Many items on the menus in the dining areas were an extra charge like steak and lobster. The buffet breakfast was so not palatable I couldn't eat it, the bacon tasted like it came from a sick animal, the other food was horrible. There was no service! You could not get a drink by the pool because there were not any servers!

We were told the night before we were supposed to dock in the Bahamas that the ship was unsafe to dock and we would be going back to Miami. For the inconvenience they gave everyone a $50 state room credit! That is the biggest slap in the face. We paid over $4400 dollars for this vacation we will be missing 1/3 of it and you want to give me 50$ per cabin? Last time I checked I paid per person not per state room! Then next for the staff to tell us the ship is "unsafe" not okay!

The shows on board were by reservation only and were completely booked up by experienced cruisers within the first 34 hours of being on the ship! The pool decks filled by 9 am with tons of no one in lawn chairs just towels hold spots all day! The adults only area had no pool just one tiny hot tub! Little kids frolic in all the hot tubs splashing and doing handstands it's so gross and annoying! They are wearing swim diapers, not my scene! The bartenders are rude and the other staff were rude just plain miserable! The photographer told my son to "try not to look so deranged." What does that mean!! They charge you an additional 13.50 per person per day fee totaling 487$ for a family of 4 for cleaning! Cleaning that never happened! The room was filthy!

We went to a paid dinner all dressed up for the white party and our son's birthday and my husband after we were seated was told he had to leave because he didn't meet the dress code. The rest of us could stay and have dinner just he needed to leave! His son was wearing the exact same outfit! When I asked for the manager they just stopped serving us! When I spoke with the hostess and pointed out men wearing tank tops, shorts, flip flops but they didn't have tattoos she wasn't asking them to leave! The truth was she wanted him to cover his tattoos! I told the hostess we would not be leaving and they would be serving us dinner! About 20 min later a man in a suit with a Norwegian badge walked past our table didn't say a word stared at us and then we were served our meal! Please please please do not ever take a Norwegian cruise! Carnival was excellent never had an issue! But Norwegian ruins my vacation experience!

On 18 December 2016 my brother and I were to depart the Port of Miami on the NCL Getaway for an eight day cruise. This cruise had been scheduled for almost a year and we had purchased the NCL Traveler's Cancellation Insurance from Aon Affinity. On or about 2 November 2016 I was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and immediately began chemotherapy. I notified NCL of my inability to make the cruise and was refunded all applicable fees within three days.

I contacted Aon Affinity, was told to go online and download claimant paperwork which I did, completed all paperwork and faxed it them on 9 December. Included with this was the chemo program, the radiation program to follow and finally a surgery that I would be going through then and the May 2017 time frame. The most important inclusion in the fax was the required letter from my Medical Oncologist physician stating that I was currently under her care and could not take the cruise. This was not good enough for Aon Affinity, who later sent an additional form to be completed and returned before payment would be submitted.

I am very angered and resentful that this group of insurance peddlers is withholding my payment even while in receipt of a physician generated letter on hospital letterhead with her personal signature stating I was currently under her care. This is a pathetic response from Aon Affinity and the Norwegian Cruise Lines should drop this firm and find a more customer friendly insurance company. I now have to go back to a very busy physician to gather meaningless data for Aon Affinity. The physician's letter should have been more than sufficient documentation.

I recently took a Christmas cruise with my family on NCL EPIC to the Caribbean. The cruise itself was great. After the cruise there were over 600$ in charges held on my credit card (common practice) that was informed to be released by the cruise line within 3-5 business days after my cruise. It has now been over 1 1/2 weeks and the charges are still pending and on hold. I called the cruise line and after over 35 min of hold time they informed me that my credit card was to blame that the card refused to release for 30 days. After speaking to my card (who were VERY helpful) they informed me that NCL has not ever called to release the hold. The card company offered to stay on the line while I called NCL back and they would stay on the line to talk with NCL and then release the charges.

After holding for another 40 min, the cruise line again blamed my credit card, refused to talk with them, refused to help me without me on the line. They offered to "do me a favor" and call the card company later and release the hold (note: I had the card company on the phone at the time). They wanted me to provide them with all of my credit card information (card number, security code and expiration date) over the phone so they could call as well. Again, Citibank was on the phone with me and NCL to clear up the hold - NCL refused to talk with them and continued to blame them for keeping the hold they had not yet lifted.

After a lot of arguments, I requested to speak to a manager, only to be told I was not allowed as there was not one available. I told them to put me on hold and find one. After multiple requests, I was put on hold and a manager came on 25 min later to inform me that he could call Citibank tomorrow to request the hold to be lifted. I again informed him that I had Citibank on the line... He hung up on me! This is the WORST customer service I have EVER experienced! I was looking into booking another cruise with NCL as the cruise itself was great.

After this experience, I will be more than happy to cruise at a bit higher costs with another carrier and avoid this runaround! This was RIDICULOUS! To top it off... There is NO email or contact number for complaints to their management anywhere, all the numbers go to the same place I have already talked to... BEWARE of sharing credit card information with NCL unless you are willing to have LONG pending holds on your funds.

I have traveled quite extensively and am a retired flight attendant. I understand mechanicals and unexpected changes. I have experienced many cruises and am so disappointed in the lack of customer service given by Norwegian. They have a problem with a propeller and cannot cruise the 25 knots that would be normal. The problem reoccurred in the mid-December sailing. The inconsistencies in compensation that were offered to the various sailing dates is unacceptable. They completely changed the itinerary from what was originally booked, and added another sea day. Three days in Thailand was the destination and reason the cruise was booked and that is what was completely removed with no option to cancel the cruise. There have been 3 revisions to the itinerary with the last one being just days before the ship actually departs.

I will never book another Norwegian cruise again. I didn't have a very good feeling initially when I called Norwegian to discuss booking this cruise. The indifference and attitude displayed was enough that I sought out a travel agency and booked the cruise through them. Norwegian has done nothing but point the finger at the booking agent for the lack of communication. They don't even own up to that. Such a frustrating experience. My mom who was accompanying my daughter and I broke her femur just two days before our departure to Singapore. I'm not even that disappointed in missing this cruise because I'm sure it is going to be a fiasco with so many disgruntled passengers. Thank Goodness for travel insurance.

Just finished my second NCL cruise. The first was great so I booked the second. The second was better in some ways (entertainment, dining options, bars) and worse in some ways (too crowded, small pool, limited outdoor seating and just average customer service and getting off the ship was the worst experience I have ever had cruising - took nearly 3 hours and can best be described as total chaos!). But I had a good time so I took advantage of their promotion on future cruise deposits which I was specifically told (because I asked) could be transferred to other people. So I paid 1000 and bought four future deposits.

A couple weeks later, I went to book a vacation for 7 involving three stateroom and through this process the future deposits were referred to as "coupons" and I was told "one coupon per stateroom". These deposits were never referred to as coupons when I purchased them nor are they on the website. On the website, in very small print at the very bottom if you keep scrolling, it indicates that after two **. I looked to find the two ** as how would anyone know to scroll all the way down. The two ** are next to the pay 250, get 100 promo but not the 1000, get 500 promo. At best, this is incredibly deceptive and a bait and switch. At worst, it is fraud.

So, thinking this would be a simple fix and an opportunity to further cement brand loyalty, I called NCL. Long story short, I talked to six people, was on hold the better part of three hours and was essentially told, "this is the policy". I direct messaged their Twitter account and received no response. I emailed guest relations and received no response. At this point, I am resigned to being a victim of trusting the face value of something and assuming that a company in the service industry is motivated to provide good service. Shame on me! Lesson learned. I will go on the cruise I booked but that will be my last trip on NCL. After reading other reviews here and on cruise critic (I wished I would have read prior), it seems like NCL engaged in many bait and switch, nickel and dime tactics and that customer service when it involves money is nonexistent. What a shame.

I, my wife, and our 10 year old son traveled the world last year. By late spring we were moving on from Africa and looking for economy, so we booked online with Norwegian to cruise the Mediterranean. We booked early, and booked cheap. As a result of our naivety we arrived on board and found our cabin was too small for three of us to stand up at same time. Norwegian Spirit is a striking ship at first glance, but closer up it is over 20 years old, and depending where you look, she shows her age. The most significant memory of our trip is that at least three times over 14 days Engine Exhaust was pumped into our cabin at night by the air handling equipment. George searched the hallways and decks in the wee hours each time looking for a source. In bringing it to the attention of the crew we experienced a good deal of stress.

First, "Guest Services" argued it was not possible. Then when they realized we were not being diverted, they sent a steward with an air freshener spritzer bottle to scent the room. (The floor above us was the day care "Kids Club" and we were distressed to learn that they frequently were "gassed" in the same fashion, but were forced to accept it.) Upon the third occurrence I held my ground with Guest Services at 3 AM, rejected their offer of another steward wielding an air freshener, and finally a uniformed "Engineer" appeared. By now I had discovered the cause appeared to be outside where the air intakes on the stack, under certain wind conditions, were drawing the discharge exhaust from the engine. I showed him what I thought to be obvious. The result was a meeting the next day with the Chief Engineer to discuss it, and a free steak dinner for the family. (The Kids Club has to fare for themselves I guess.)

The floor shows were not quite professional quality. Lounge Tables were dirty. Everywhere we turned on any deck a young staff member with antiseptic spritzers wanted to spritz our hands. Legionnaires disease was on someone's mind? Some of those cleaners should have been used on the furniture. We thought the kids' programs were very limited. Adult programs were more diverse, but there were several thousand adults compared to a bare dozen children on board. It was disturbing to enter the Kids Club to pick up our son and be greeted by the overwhelming smell of diesel exhaust. There may have been staff issues there. Our son complained of bad words and disrespectful behaviour from one particular staffer more than once. As a result we stopped using the Kids Club. In our naivety costs continued to surprise us.

I found the ship's staff included their addition of an automatic 15% gratuity on any and all expenditures. We found that both soda or liquor was an extra charge everywhere on board, but since we are light drinkers it was little importance. Eating in any but the main dining hall buffet is also expensive. I thought it slightly excessive to receive the following bill for one load of laundry; 1 pr jeans, 3 T-shirts, 6 pr underwear, 1 dress, 1 pr socks, 1 pajamas, 1 pr shorts, and 1 pr pants.

Total $95.00 + 15%. To have any of these items ironed would have been an additional $ 3.00 per item. Internet was $ 1.00 per minute, but there was little to complain about there since it seldom worked anyway. The ship arranged excursions were well promoted, but very pricey. We found all ship arranged tours ended in retail outlets at a pre-arranged times with a sales pitch for carpets, jewelry, pottery or whatever other local crafts were being pushed.

On occasions where we tried to get out without buying, there was a change in staff attitude, and even on one occasion in Turkey, angry words from the vendors. We frequently arranged our own tours, fended for ourselves, saved some money, and had a lot more flexibility and less pressure. From the discussions with other passengers and ship staff it seemed likely one reason the internet was mostly inaccessible was to dissuade you from arranging your own tours. Even with all the warning signs, at the end of our cruise we were surprised to find out that our bill for "extras" was larger again than what we had already paid for the cruise.

Otherwise, all staff were very friendly and usually helpful, unless if you needed to solve any issue outside their job description. Staff were eager to answer questions and reluctant to disappoint you. They tried to solve your issue at the moment, but it soon was apparent ship's rules restricted their ability to move issues up the command chain. Our schedule was kept, and the cruise ship system and procedures were easy to find and to adapt to. It was an interesting experience, a fast way to see a large number of places, but not to either see them well or experience any culture. We apparently aren't the Cruising types, but at least now we know that. Norwegian Spirit - Spring in the Mediterranean (A trip of a lifetime?)

Since September 2016 I have been booked for a cruise sailing on May 22nd from Miami on the Sky. I had booked this cruise using my free cruise voucher that I won earlier in 2016 while playing Bingo on a cruise to Bermuda. When I first booked the new cruise it was sailing to multiple islands in the Bahamas however in mid-December we received a notification of an itinerary change. The cruise was now stopping in Cuba, which I was more than happy about. Until I discovered something alarming a few days later when I logged into myNCL account online.

I noticed that it reported I had 0 cruises booked, which was alarming. Mostly because this cruise is also booked with another couple who will be joining us, so this issue not only affected my reservation, but also the couple we are going with. I contacted NCL on Tuesday, December 27th to resolve this issue. When I spoke to an agent I told them the issue and explained that the cruise was cancelled by mistake and that I’d like to get it resolved.

I was soon told that due to having the cruise voucher I would not be able to use it on this cruise any longer. The cruise that I already had fully booked for 4 months, fully paid all the charges and taxes, and also had another couple fully booked and paid with us. I was in dismay when I heard this and asked for an explanation. I was told that since the itinerary change, “reduced rates” are not allowed to book. I was given no other option than to just use my cruise voucher on another cruise.

Unfortunately another cruise will not work. We already fully paid for this particular cruise, including purchasing of plane tickets from MA to FL, which are nonrefundable. My major complaint here is that it does not state on my cruise voucher that certain cruises are not applicable. Specifically it states that “...and is good toward any cruise” and I assume that the cruise I booked falls under “any cruise”. It also does not state on the itinerary notification that certain booked customers may no longer be able to go on this cruise.

All I want in this matter is to get the cruise that I already fully planned back and to be able to use my cruise voucher. If this matter does not get resolved not only will NCL be losing my business, but also the business of the couple we are booked with, and any business we would have recommended in the future. Not only that, I will also be making sure to share this story with anyone that will read it. NCL fails provide any resolution and fails to produce actual documentation that states the claims they are making.

My thoughts on this whole matter is that since I was already fully booked and paid for on this particular sailing, I should not be held responsible for any changes that NCL makes to the itinerary after the fact. If anything, I should be “grandfathered in” to the sailing. Instead, NCL chose to cancel my cruise plans without any notification and without any care towards my fully planned vacation. I will never consider NCL again.

I opened an account with NCL, and was told that all fees will be transfer to the new account. The fees were transferred to the new account and also on my account on file. The fees still remained on my new account and my account on file. Why should a company hold your money up when the fees are placed on the new account. I was told this may take up to 30 days. A very dissatisfied customer!!!

We first called inquired about a cruise. I ask if which port is close. The young man said to me "I don't. You can look that up." Well 10 k for my family I asked him if could I was at work. He said no. I hung up. We use them one before and were a previous customer. Did ask for a discount, just a simple question which port is closer out of 2 port no 10.

After I hung up follow up from Alexander from call center call 2 times a day. He caught us at dinner and said "don't call me again." Hung up on him. He call repeatedly after 3 times in 5 mins. After I told to ** off he filled out car buy buying request from 3 dealerships in Florida with my name and phone number and the call 3 time each in 5 mins. Then it get worst. He call a place call, call spin and gives us a wake up 4 am. All these place confirm the were contact within 5 minutes of me telling to stop call my house and ** off after 3 calls. I will never use NCL again for free. He just call my home 844 am while I am typing this. His number is **. His other number he calls from many time is **. We going file police reports. Carlos his manager could give a crap. He is unprofessional and I would feel really bad giving credit card info to this set of people ever.

The ship looked inviting from the ads. That's where it ended. Out of 6 days, 4 were at sea with one port having been cancelled due to propeller issues. We were to meet with friends and Christmas shop in that port so the disappointment was huge. We were reimbursed $50.00 for the inconvenience, but that was like a slap in the face and insulting. Our second issue was with the entertainment, bands in particular. It was horrible and being at sea for 4 days having to hear them was not pleasant. I ranked them 2 star because we did like the "dine your way" experience and the food was good.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Norwegian Cruise Lines has been in business for over 48 years; it developed the concept of freestyle cruising, which means a relaxed dress code, that lets guests enjoy the cruise at unscheduled, individual paces.

• Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar: The Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar is a bar set in an arctic chamber; the walls, the bar and everything inside is made from ice.
  • Waterfront: Norwegian's Waterfront is a quarter-mile deck where guests can walk and enjoy oceanfront views.
  • Walk the Plank: Thrill seekers can experience walking the Plank, which is a narrow beam traveling 8 feet out over the water.
  • Great Stirrup Cay: One of Norwegian's unique stops is the company's private island, where guests can explore and play in the shoreline.
  • Broadway at sea: Norwegian Cruise Lines guests can take in exclusive Broadway shows while on board.
  • Best for The Norwegian Cruise liner is best for budget-conscious families and adults looking for a relaxed, less formal cruise experience.

Compare Cruise Lines