Norwegian Cruise Lines

Compare Cruise Lines

Research top Cruise Lines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Someone changed our Cruise package 2 weeks before our cruise from free Beverages to fancy meals without our knowledge or consent. NCL refused to change it back and lied by saying that it could not be changed back - 11 days into or 14 day cruise and with a US$1500 alcohol bill NCL finally agreed to do what they should have done on day one (and said they could not do) and changed it back and wiped our bill.

All too late as the stress (NCL senior management treated us like lepers, tried to get us to use the meals package, tried to get paid again for the beverage package and were rude arrogant and belligerent) caused me to come done with a serious case of shingles that I am still suffering from 2.5 months later (which they cannot deny happened as the ships hospital treated me and charged me US$1700). No apology from NCL not recognition of the stress they caused - they simply apply their policy of refusing to help and hope the client will eventually give up. My advice - avoid them. They appear to be on the verge of a major problem with gaining passengers given the increasing number of complaints.

I'm a cruiser since 1993. I have tried Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess cruises, and I love them and service. Here where the nightmare starts. I just arrived from the Norwegian Sun Oct. 14 to 28, 2016. It was awful. Room dirty and poorly taken care of daily. Guest desk service no customer manners at all.

Dinner menu awful and little variety. State room 7004 unfriendly. Broken and stain towels. My shampoo and soap dispenser empty for five times. Food portion very small. Activity very poor and shows also. Ship should be put to disuse already. And their hold activity program revise. I will never recommend this cruise line to anyone and I will never book one in my remaining days of my life.

We have a Caribbean cruise booked in about two weeks. Three days ago I received a letter saying they are skipping Great Stirrup Cay, their private island. This is one of the main reasons I selected this trip. I called about on-board credit or other compensation, waited, got bounced around and finally spoke to a Barbara, who said NCL "apologizes" but is not offering any kind of compensation for this change.

Like another reviewer, I feel sure they knew about it before they sent the letter. I am now debating whether or not to go, weighing the very meager refund amount against my anger about getting on a ship to take a trip that is NOT THE TRIP that I booked. I am NOT a fan of Nassau, and I'm not taking any excursion there. Guess I won't get to lie on a beach at all. NCL should treat passengers with more respect! I am sharing this news with EVERYONE in person, online and with my many, many readers. Beware!!! They will change the trip and offer you NOTHING. Use another cruise line if you want to be treated well!

What's up with NCL? We have traveled with them 3 times and booked a fourth for 11/13 to the Bahamas. Have not had a bad experience until now. Kept getting the free at sea promotion in the mail and email and finally took the bait and looked. Tried booking an inside or oceanview but the site said it was fully booked. Tried calling and was told the same and that there was no wait list. Also told then that only the Haven cabin was eligible for the free at sea promotion.

Commented that the website shows a green note on the price chart indicating that the promotion was available at all cabin levels. Was then told that if I continued through booking, I would see that it is not available. Reluctantly continued booking and selected a balcony cabin. The next day, both inside and oceanview cabins suddenly became available again, even through a discount agent's site. I emailed NCL immediately but three days later haven't even received an acknowledgement. Wish I had seen this website before I booked. I guess they don't believe in truth in advertising.

I am set to cruise on November 14 on the Norwegian Sky. About 10 days ago, they informed me that due to Hurricane Matthew we would not be able to visit their private island Great Stirrup Cay (which has food and drink included). It was replaced by Key West, which already is a let down, but also does not have food and drink included either. I called up looking to see if they would be offering some sort of compensation for this and got nowhere. We had already budgeted an entire vacation and now had to prepare for an entire other day that would require spending.

Today, which conveniently is within the 14 day no cancellation window, I find out that they have now removed Nassau, Bahamas and made it a travel day. Out of a 5 day cruise (with the 5th day being in port disembarking) we spend 2 days on land, with one being in Florida. I called up to see if they would do anything to compensate for this, or if there was any way to reschedule. Legitimately anything to please their customers affected by this (especially since we lost ANOTHER shore excursion in this process) and received absolutely no help. The customer service seemingly has no power and seems completely disconnected from the organization as a whole. Do not EVER book with Norwegian. An absolute 100% would NOT recommend.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?

We have a cruise booked on Norwegian Cruise Line Cruise lines starting on November 6th, 2016. Yesterday I received a letter informing me that our ship breakway will not stop at Great Stirrup Cay (Private Island) because they are doing enhancements since August 25 and they have been delayed because of hurricane Matthew. On my previous cruise going to the island was my favorite part of the trip. It's the only time you can go on a beach on the cruise without having to pay extra. I wouldn't have booked a cruise with NCL if I knew they was a chance of not going to their private Island.

When I called NCL to see how they were going to compensate their guests for the inconvenience they basically said "too bad we are not doing anything". The worst customer service ever. They should give an option to cancel or reschedule our vacation or at least give some kind of compensation. Nothing. I used to love NCL but after this trip I will never cruise with them again. NCL is the worst. Norwegian Cruise Line next time we're going on Royal Caribbean Blog. #CruiseNorwegian #sucks

We are due to take the Breakaway this week. The trip to Great Stirrup Cay has been cancelled, due to the storm. I understand this, but this is a little late notice. OK, but now we will be in Nassau another day. It is frustrating that we were going to have a private island (included in the price) with food included, but now

we have to pay if we want to go on another excursion for a semi-private beach. Apparently, Norwegian isn't offering us anything in lieu of Great Stirrup. Is this right?

My family and I are avid cruisers. We have cruised Disney, Carnival and Royal Caribbean until two years ago when we added Norwegian to that list. This was our third Norwegian Cruise and most definitely our last. We were EXTREMELY disappointed with how they handled the destination changes due to Hurricane Nicole. We were supposed to go to Bermuda and unlike the other 3 cruise lines, they waited until the all aboard before they announced that we would no longer be there. They then told us we would be staying in New York overnight. That's one night gone!

When I called Norwegian and when my son went down to Guest Relations, we were both told if we got off the boat we would not be getting a refund. Then about 7:30 or so, they announced that we would be going to Port Canaveral and Nassau. First of all, who wants to cruise to Port Canaveral???? Especially after a hurricane. They were still trying to recover. That's a place to board a cruise ship, not a cruise destination! And Nassau was in terrible shape. The water was far too rough to go in (no swimming signs posted) and debris was washing up everywhere. We paid $5,000 for the four of us to go to Bermuda and instead ended up with 15 hours of post hurricane destination.

We were sailing on very rough waters due to the hurricanes so the boat was very rocky. Because of that, a lot of the deck activities were closed a good portion of the time. You can only go to so many shows and clubs in a 7 day period. We all felt like we were being held hostage on their boat. They made it clear that their profits are FAR more important than their customer relations.

They gave us $100 nonrefundable on board credit. It could not be used toward gratuities or the casino. Today I found out that they are giving a $29 credit of the difference in port charges and they think that covers it. When I said "that's it??? $29.... That's your idea of compensation for everything we spent for what we got?" The guy on the phone said "Well, it's per person!" UNBELIEVABLE!! They also told us we could apply in writing to have our gratuities refunded. How is that fair to their staff? They still did their jobs and yet Norwegian is willing to forfeit their employees gratuities in lieu of doing the right thing. That says a lot about Norwegian. We are now done with Norwegian.

We went on a 7 day mexican riviera cruise with NCL, and one day prior to departure, we got an email saying that they were omitting Mazatlan Port, due to unforeseen repairs that needed to be done in Puerto Vallarta. When we got to Puerto Vallarta, they informed us that they were cancelling the Cabo San Lucas Port as well, since the repairs were extensive, and had to be completed in Puerto Vallarta. So, out of three planned ports we only went to one, and turns out that NCL knew about the repair work two months before we got on the ship! Shame on you, Norwegian Cruise Lines. Should call your ship the Norwegian Junk, instead of the Norwegian Jewel!

While I understand that hurricanes cannot be predicted, I believe NCL knew before we left that Bermuda was out of the question. The new itinerary was 1 stop in Port Canaveral, FL, and about 5-6 hrs. in Nassau. There was nothing in Nassau to see except some shops. All they offered was a $200 per cabin onboard credit, while other cruise lines were offering refunds or 50% off of future cruises.

Also, be aware that the Breakaway seems to have no dress code at all for dinner, so jeans and ball caps made me feel like I was at the local McDonald's. The "dine and dance" in the Manhattan Room was outrageous, with children running all over the dance floor. Such a disappointment! This was our 3rd cruise with NCL, but it will be our last. They seems to not care at all about their customers. If they knew Bermuda was out, they should have contacted their customers to explain and then let the customer decide. Vouchers for future cruises would have gone a long way to ensure repeat customers!

I think this cruise line should have their day in court. Our cruise destination was cancelled because of a hurricane in Bermuda. They didn't refund our cruise fare. I think this is a criminal act. We paid a premium for the cruise but got no refund for getting a less priced cruise. They swapped Bermuda for Port Canaveral and Nassau. They also told us not to go far from the ship in Nassau because of an spike in crime against tourists in the area. Fine. They referred to the small print that they can change their destination. I cannot write more because I'm so livid about this experience.

I've seen a recorded hearing in the US Congress and a congressman is so angry at the practices of the cruise lines and passenger complaints and he wants big changes made. My advice to anyone thinking of cruising is to check for experiences that others have had before giving away your money. The money they made from this trip is blood money and should be given back to the passengers. I understand them not being able to go to Bermuda because of the hurricane but to still charge the passengers for the trip is wrong. It is also wrong to board the passengers and then tell them the destination was cancelled. I could go on.

We have recently returned from an NCL cruise where my husband had arm pains that were going to his chest. Fearing the worse we took him to the ship's medical centre. He was there for approx 12 hours where they were able to rule out a heart attack in the first hour or so. The rest of the time he was there for observation. Now we are grateful for the good care but the shock of a charge to our credit card of over $10000 which was just stuck in our door with no discussion, was enough to cause a real heart attack. We were basically wiped out and had another 3 weeks vacation organised once we got off the ship. That was ruined. I believe we should have had the opportunity to discuss options on paying the bill possibly through our insurance company. Surely not everyone has the funds on their credit card so other arrangements must have been made with others.

We also requested a refund for the service fee as we needed some cash urgently. They would not take it off our bill but said we would have to apply for it to be sent later. After further discussions on this with the manager he promised to arrange it asap. Nearly 4 weeks later absolutely nothing returned. To top it all off they regularly take different amounts off your credit card while you're on board. Ours was to the total of nearly $800. At the end of the cruise instead of just deducting the difference or repaying you whatever the case may be no they then take out the whole amount. We waited over 2 weeks for that money to drop off the credit card. Their customer service in this matter is no existent. We are platinum cruisers with them but that will be our last cruise ever with them.

I recently cruised on the NCL Breakaway on 10/9 – 10/16. This was the ship re-routed from Bermuda to Port Canaveral and Nassau because of Hurricane Nicole and Matthew. Below is some of the issues I had (which was also sent to NCL with no response thus far). I booked my cruise with a package for the shore excursion and specialty dinner program. I choose the shore excursion option because I would get a $150 credit because I was traveling to Bermuda. If I had been traveling to Port Canaveral and Nassau I would have choose the Beverage package instead. I was very disappointed to only be offered a $100 credit for shore excursions. It left a bad taste in my mouth and shore excursions just shrugged when I brought this up with them.

Once we found out what shore excursions were offered we were not able to research them without internet access. So, we choose to do the kayaking at manatee cove. It was listed on the paper as an activity level of 2. The NASA tour was also listed as a 2 so we assumed it would take the same exertion as a walking tour (this was also our first time kayaking). In no way should have it been a 2. It was very misrepresented. You have to paddle across an open bay (roughly one and a half football fields in length) to get to the Kayak site. This is not explained on the brochure.

On the way back you had to paddle AGAINST the wind (which was incredibly strong). It took everything we had to just move forward. In fact, they sent a boat out that had to come and rescue a couple of the kayakers because it was so difficult. How is this a level 2? If this had not been misrepresented we would have choose something else. I felt we threw away our $200 (which included a $20 tip since the guides were very nice).

The moral on board was awful. I found the customer service not be up to par. We were wrongly charged for a bottle of water from our mini bar (our room was never properly stocked to start with. It was missing the room service menu, the pad and pen, a bottle of water as well as a Redbull when we first arrived). Our steward said he would remove the charge. We then had to ask a second time. Finally, on the third time we had to escalate it to the housekeeping supervisor.

I was bit by a bug in my bed. It swelled up bad on Thursday night (it was red and puss filled). We searched the bed but couldn’t find it. The following day I could not wear my sandals. It hurt so bad. I went to medical to find nobody there. I went to guest services and told them something in my bed bit me and I needed a band aid and possibly ointment. He said "you can get them on the 5th deck". I said, “well I would have to pay for this”. He said, “it’s only fifty cents”. I said, “Let me get this straight. Something bit me in your bed and I need to pay for my band aids?” He said "yes" and just stared at me. He offered no apology or any further assistance.

I understand the cruise needed to be changed due to a hurricane hitting Bermuda. That is absolutely the right decision. We had been watching all week and we knew that would happen. However, we called you that morning prior to boarding to ask if it was changed (we needed to pack warm clothes if we were heading to Canada). We were told, that we were definitely going to Bermuda. Once boarded, we heard whispers from other cruisers we weren’t leaving NYC port that night. A few hours later the announcement came AFTER everyone was on board that in fact we were not going to be going to Bermuda. We all knew that was happening. It felt deceitful that we were only told after all were on board. I was very disappointed with the service and compensation given for losing a day of cruising as well as only spending 16 hours in port (Nassau was useless).

We have cruised 9 times. We have done Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney, and Norwegian. I must say last year we did the breakaway to Florida and Nassau. It was great. WELL on Oct 9th we boarded the Breakaway again in New York, only to be told we would not be leaving that day and not going to Bermuda. I totally understand they had to keep us safe but we should have had the opportunity to book another cruise at another time. We went to the same places as last year, which were a mess because they were hit by the hurricane a couple days before. The water at Cocoa beach was absolutely gross and Nassau was a mess. I understand it's not their fault but very frustrating.... THEY GAVE US A $200.00 onboard credit per cabin which I feel they could of done more. Some cruise lines got 1/2 money back towards another cruise and we got $200.00!!! From one of the biggest ships out there...

We have another cruise planned for June but on The Carnival Sunshine, maybe if they would of gave us more incentives to book again, we would of considered Norwegian again. I would of booked another one to Bermuda right on the ship... But $200.00 kind of left us rethinking about Norwegian. We have cruised a total of 3 times with your cruise line. We know it was the weather but they waited till we were on board and made announcement later the afternoon, and the decision to go to two places hit by the hurricane was absolutely no fun... The crew was great, but please consider a bit more than $200.00 on board credit. Please feel free to contact us on email or ** or **. I hope to hear from you. The people I spoke to about our experience were totally surprised that's all we got from the cruise line... Please see if there is anything else you can offer passengers. Thank you for your time.

Just came back from the Breakaway cruise October 16 2016. As we all know we couldn't sail to Bermuda for the hurricane. While we understand safety first as we were told by NCL I guess they should add: NCL own pocket first. We called a few hours before headed to ship. We were told all is on schedule. LIES. Schedule was changed as soon as all passenger were on board. What a gimmick. And to top we spent an overnight in nyc so instead of 3 nights overnight in Bermuda we just fly to deserted ports. And the NCL didn't act like Carnival 3 weeks ago with a non-refundable 200 dollars charity so we gave back to NCL. They couldn't afford a discount on next cruise so could keep all passenger happy because that will touch stock/holder bottom line correct?

And after I had an issue which I reported to the FB manager instead to tell his employees to say sorry to me he offer me a lunch to Margaritaville restaurant. I didn't ask for freebies which I think he thought. I didn't need his charity. I can buy my own lunch. I needed an apology from the 2 employees which never came. Mr FB manager you need more training.

We are supposed to sail Bermuda from Oct 9th 2016 to Oct 16th 2016. First, while its competitors (e.g.Carnival and Disney cruise) know days ahead that they are not able to make to Bermuda due to Hurricane impact and offer their customer full refund for those who decided not to sail, why this cruise line did not tell the customers until everyone is on board about 3pm in the afternoon? It seems like they just want to trick you to get on the boat.

When you talk you their customers about the option to cancel the trip due to this weather reason, they do not even care... No credit back, no refund. Nothing... And if you decided to leave the boat, we still have to pay more than couple of thousand of dollars. What a "great" company who only cares about customer money. We left the boat after 4 hours experience with Norwegian, and we know we will never be their customer again. This is our first and last experience with Norwegian. Do not be Norwegian's next victim.

Returned today from my cruise on the Breakaway out of NYC to Bermuda. Would not sail again on this ship. I've sailed on many other cruise lines. This cruise was by far the worst I've been on. Food service was quite variable from good to mediocre to terrible. The worst was at the Manhattan Club on the last night. On this cruise the staff was in general inconsistent with poor to excellent. There seems to be a morale problem on this ship. The stateroom Attendant Dennis ** was a shining star. Bartenders were efficient and responsive. The hotel staff was terrible, doing little to assist and being generally moody and lacking customer service skills.

I've experience much better in Royal Caribbean, Disney and Carnival. Entertainment was good but mostly not 5 star. The best was Howl at the Moon and Fat Cats. The Spa which you pay additional for was too crowded on day 1. The experience is not worth the extra money for the entire week. Should have paid on daily basis! Maybe might be worth it if you pay as you go. I had the beverage package which helped me save money. Overall some services are up to par others not. The low was the hotel front desk. They need to be retrained. I'll spend my money elsewhere on my next cruise vacation. Stay away.

I have traveled on Norwegian before as well as many other cruise ships. My husband and I decided to choose Norwegian for our anniversary cruise. As many may know Florida is being affected by Hurricane Matthew this weekend. Our ships is supposed to be sailing off Friday out of Florida. Being proactive I called Norwegian today asking to reschedule or have a credit on our account (not a refund) since a category 4 hurricane will be coming that day. I was told the ship can handle it and I'll be leaving as scheduled. I asked how we will be going to the Bahamas as that is where the hurricane is and is destroying land. They told me the captain will come up with a different route. I explained I will be unable to get to the port and am not comfortable getting on the water with a category 4 hurricane where the ship will be. They responded this is my problem and a change cannot be made.

Meanwhile all flights have been cancelled so if I didn't live in Florida I wonder how I would get there. I asked to speak to a supervisor and then was hung up on twice. After calling back numerous times I got a very rude gentleman who told me I was not hung up on but my service was bad. He gave me an attitude and said to hold for a supervisor. After holding for 20 minutes the supervisor told me the same thing the gentlemen did, that it was my problem and my loss of $700 dollars.

I will never book with this crappy company again!!! It used to be my favorite and I will never sail with them again. The customer service is beyond horrible and they do not care about the safety of their passengers. All they care about is getting their money. I guess sailing in a category 4 hurricane is normal for them and the comfort or enjoyment of the passengers doesn't matter. I am disputing the charge and refuse to deal with this company ever again! Save yourself the money and hassle and book with Royal Caribbean.

I just got off a 7 day from NYC. I am at the airport. Have been on 30 plus cruises mostly NCL. Have been a huge NCL fan until now. No more. Good bye. The trip was miserable. The service. The entertainment. The food. Examples: The "ports" are terrible. Halifax, St. John's and Portland are old broken down washed up ports that have zero to offer. Went to dinner in dining room 1 time. That was enough. The waiter could hardly speak English. Sat there for 2 hours without refill on bread or water. Food arrived cold- and they brought the wrong dish (i.e. language barrier). Left before dessert or would miss the show.

Cabin steward tried to charge us $23 for beer from mini bar. We don't drink. Went to guest services to have removed. Very rude- he may have made a "mistake". No lady you don't understand - it's an impossibility. We don't drink. Came back to cabin to use iPad. Broken. I mean cracked. Someone dropped it. Back to guest services. Oh boy!!! The lady asks me "Did you see him drop it?" After counting to 10 I politely asked for the supervisor. I could go on and on. Forewarned is forearmed. Don't go on NCL.

I haven't even sailed yet and my experience with Norwegian Cruise lines has been awful! I booked in the Haven which is supposed to be their luxury experience on the ships. However, I can never get thru to customer service. When I do they are rude and very unhelpful. I spent over 5 hours on the phone with them today getting bounced around. One "supervisor" gave me a bogus number and said she would send out an email. She never did of course... I regret spending almost $10,000 to cruise with them. Not attentive or caring about any requests. Never again will they get my money... They took away the excitement and anticipation. Never remedied. I am super bummed! They will never get another dollar from me.

I am booked with this company - unfortunately - for a 10 days trip in December this year. Had I know that THEIR RATING IS 1 (ONE) STAR IN CONSUMERAFFAIRS, I would have been more careful in my selection of cruise line before giving them my money in full, and not gotten my whole large family to pay for theirs as well. I travel frequently, but only once before with NCL. Their service barely makes the so so mark, but, it was the only one leaving from Miami in the dates the whole family was available, so, we selected it. This cruise line is the worst at customer service. Their dishonesty is blatant. Their reps are apparently trained into deceiving and misleading clients. After paying this January the deposit for an almost $6,000 balcony cabin, my balance was $4,985 with due date September 20, 2016.

An unexpected accident/assault in California, affected a close member of my family on September 16, 2016. I called the cruise line and ask them to accept an immediate partial payment of $4,000 with the request for the $985 balance to be extended for couple weeks as to free some resources for airplane tickets and extra hospital bills. They did not accept it, nor did they offer any other options other than a week due date extension. Comes today, September 27. Curious, I went online to check pricing on their NCL site: To my surprise, I found an alternative cabin, with ocean view window - instead of a balcony- in the 8th floor next to the rest of the family, for $3,321.77 with port taxes, etc. - plenty for the $4,000 I had offered them a week before - I proceeded to book it and while filling my credit card information, my husband suggested I call to check if the original deposit could be applied towards the new booking.

Bottom line: They kept me 56 minutes on the line, making my booked room expire, I have the screenshot pictures, only to let me know in minute 45, that they have 3 calls centers with NO access to the cabins offered in the Internet. They only found me a porthole window in the middle of nowhere in a 5th floor for over $400 more. "Take it or leave it. Your recent booked cabin is now gone. Nothing else with ocean window is available under $4,600."

Mortified, after paying in full, I called again and asked for a supervisor: Why I was kept in ignorance for 45 minutes on the line until my booking expired before being told they do not manage those bookings? Why I was not offered the possibility to downgrade the week before to fit my available balance - without losing my deposit - which at that time, would not have been a penalty? "Oh, sorry, you should specifically need to ask for it. We are instructed to not let you know you can do a downgrade as an option UNLESS you specifically request for it." And this is coming from two supervisors. The mocking tone, the lack of concern for my reaction, the utterly disconnect from the meaning of good customer service. That can only exist by corporate mandate. Unexplainable otherwise.

In addition, you also learn HIDDEN facts afterwards, some even only when you do receive your booking documents: That their "free promotions" are only applicable to the first 2 guests, all others pay extra. Their "room extra daily fee" of $13.50 PER PERSON, PER DAY, only applies to the first 2 guests, that their "free upgrade dining" again, is only good for the first 2 passengers and only for 4 meals out of 20. Deceiving. Unscrupulous. PRINCESS, HOLLAND and several others deserve all your business NCL. They know how to earn it.

My daughter and I took an Alaskan Cruise on Norwegian Cruise line, The Sun, with a elderly friend. The 3 of us spent over $6000.00 for this cruise. I had promised my daughter this cruise since she graduated high school 10 years ago. On day 1 our phone didn't work and our balcony door wouldn't open and close properly, neither of these were fixed. On day two we spent numerous hours trying to get our credit attached to our room, they kept taking it off and saying we were cash only. Then the ship smelled like bowel so strong you couldn't escape it. On day 3 they started painting the ship with what smelled like epoxy paint. The smell was so strong, I couldn't breathe and it came over our balcony into our room. It gave my daughter and I a very bad headache, I was having breathing issues, we both were light headed and nauseated.

Half the walking deck was closed off so you had no use of it due to the smell and only being able to walk halfway around. This went on for 4 days, we made numerous complaints only to be told they heard us and wrote it down (basically too bad, go away). One morning we were awakened by a horrible drilling sound and found out they were repairing doors. Then if all of this wasn't bad enough, by day 3 we were all sick. I have asthma and feel that the paint smell caused part of this illness.

The day after returning home I went to the doctor with a 103 fever and had to miss a week's worth of work. After a month I am still coughing and feel very tired from this nightmare cruise. To add insult to injury I filed a complaint and asked for a refund since my relaxing cruise was a nightmare trapped on ship that is falling apart and we were unable to use the ship after paying over $6000.00 for it. We received a response that they will give us $150.00 in cruise credits. I spend over $6000.00 for a nightmare cruise and they want to give me the equivalent of a drink package. Do they think I will cruise with them again. I wouldn't step foot on another one of their ships if they gave it to me for free.

There should be a class action lawsuit against these crooks who take you out to sea on a ship that is falling apart, put your health and your safety at risk. I would be very careful with this cruise line especially "The Sun", this ship should be taken off the seas if you have to do major maintenance daily while you have a ship full of trapped passengers.

What is going on at NCL? I applied for a refund of service charges. I followed the requirements for applying for said refund. The email was acknowledged automatically - stating that the refund would be processed within 15 working days - that was on August 2nd. 8 requests later I still only have another email saying the same service level commitment. I spent 76 minutes waiting on the phone - to be told that my refund was pulled to the top of the pile and would be processed in 3 days - that was 8 days ago? What is going on - are they going to the wall? Or so tight they don't want to part with money? The reason for the refund was service in the first place - it was poor onboard. However it is even worse on land! I won't give up NCL - I want what you said I was entitled to. Come on pay up.

Their staff doesn't know how to behave and they are very rude. They also charge huge amounts when you are in the ship. Daily they charge $13.50 per person as service fee and for two photos they charge $40. Even if you don't use their mini bar in the cabin, they charge $50 every day. They are daylight robbers. The flush was not working, suddenly we smell smokes on the way, and they apologize etc, not a safe ship. Please don't select Norwegian for your cruise, the worst in the world.

I purchased a cruise by the Baltic Sea for 10 days from August 08th to 18th, however the Captain decided not to stop in Stockholm on August 16, due to a bad meteorological conditions, remaining at sea the all day and arriving to Copenhague on August 17th. I respect the decision for security matters, but others cruiser like Zuiderdam from Holland Line cruise, arrived to Stockholm on the same day that we should arrive where the weather was fine. I really appreciate a refund for the missing day in Sweden for 2000 USD.

I was previously an avid NCL fan. Every cruise I have been on has been with NCL, I had 3 cruises booked this summer. However, this will be my last. I booked the cruise in conjunction with my sister from the UK who would be celebrating her honeymoon on the cruise. We booked rooms next to each other in DEC and had the beverage and dining package as part of a promo. In AUG I called to try and upgrade both mine and my sister's room to a large balcony (this would be a surprise for my sister). They upgraded both mine and my sister's room (I had her reservation number etc). On August 17th I called to try and get an aft balcony upgrade and noticed my promo (drink and dining package) had been removed from my room but my sister's were still there!

Since then I have been on the phone for about 6 hours mostly on hold, my room is now in a large balcony room but I have only 3 days of the dining package opposed to 7. And my sisters is back on the room she originally booked. I'm currently on hold again trying to get hers changed back to large balcony to which I'm being told I cannot do as im in the US (even though I have changed her room twice!!!). It seems I am being told different things by different people, nobody really knows what is going on, and nobody really cares! I am fed up of being on hold and when I have requested to speak to manager I was put on hold for over an hour and 20 minutes and then cut off! I will update when I finally get some answers.

I am writing this review in an effort to save other families from a bad experience. We first cruised with NCL in 2015. We found dirty underwear in our room, couldn't use the games when we wanted to, etc. We did complain and it took us three months for them to come back and offer us an "onboard credit". I explained that I wanted the credit off my next ticket IF I chose to sail again. So, now, we have booked a cruise for September 2016. Already, they are changing the rules on us. We were allowed to take a case of water on board with us last time and now, a few weeks before our cruise, we are told that we are no longer allowed to carry the water on board with us. That being said, we can purchase it onboard for $100 a case.

This is a $400 additional fee that we were not planning on and our tickets were booked 7 months before the new rules were issued. When I asked for an exception I was told it was a safety issue. I told our consultant we appreciated the safety measures, but why couldn't water be sold/given away for a better, more affordable price as it is a necessity of life. She said nothing and customer service offers nothing.....I hope that other people truly consider using this cruise line in the future. They truly don't care about their customers and don't respond to customer service inquiries.

I am writing this review out of sheer dissatisfaction and disguise with Norwegian Cruise Line. I am an advent cruiser having enjoyed almost 2 dozen different itineraries. My last cruise was on NCL on June 19, 2016, along with 24 other family members, and we received horrible service while on board.

Due to the horrible service I received on board (i.e. dinner lasting 3hrs due to service delay, etc., I opted to not pay gratuity. As per NCL new policy, you are unable to adjust gratuity onboard any longer. You must receive a Gratuity Return Request form from the ship and then email this form to corporate offices. Although onboard cruise staff cannot assist with gratuity, you must retrieve the form from this staff in order to have it process AFTER DISEMBARKING from the ship. This information is not listed in the Contract, Rules and Regulations for cruise passengers.

After disembarking on June 26, 2016 and submitting my form on July 5, 2016, I still have not received my gratuity reimbursement. I contacted NCL office, beginning 7/15/16 and last on 7/29/16, and have been told my gratuity has been processed and will be returned within 15 days from the submission date. Each call required a hold time of a minimum of 45 mins -1hr and office hours are 8 am-5 pm. It is now 8/16/16 (32 business days later) and, after having been on hold for 1 & 1/2 hours, I am told the gratuity will be reimbursed tomorrow. When asked to speak with a supervisor, as this is the same information repeatedly provided to me, I will be transferred to a voicemail system and need to await a call back. NCL cruise line failed to provide appropriate notification of gratuity reimbursement and falsely reports timeframes for reimbursement of such fees.

During the land tour part of our vacation, at Denali we were informed by our fellow passengers that they had received an email from Norwegian advising them that our trip to Skagway had been cancelled due to a water infiltration problem on Norwegian Sun and we were now to visit Sitka. We did not receive an email telling us a change of itinerary. We were only informed of the change when we checked in at the port terminal before embarking Norwegian Sun. Our onboard account was credited with the full refund of our 'White Pass Scenic Railway' trip.

This refund should not have been credited to that account as any credit was not refundable if it was not used. That was totally unfair as this was our money spent in good faith for a trip that we wished to do. Norwegian Cruise seem to encourage their guests to purchase trips beforehand knowing that if a trip is cancelled they will still receive the money because they do not refund to the credit/debit card meaning that we have to spend it onboard whether or not we wish to - that is a sneaky and a very bad policy!

Norwegian Sun should have made sure the maintenance of the ship was in order before and after the different types of routes it takes. Guests should not be made to suffer their problems on their time and have their vacation spoiled! We had no choice but to visit Sitka which, if it had been on the itinerary, we would not have chosen to visit as we were looking forward very much to our trip to Skagway.

Then to top it all, our departure from Sitka to Juneau was delayed as the ship encountered an issue with the anchor's winch that required a replacement of the motor. While these repairs were routine for the crew, they required approximately 5 hours to complete the task and therefore delayed our departure from Sitka. As a result of this delay, we were not able to arrive in Juneau as per the revised schedule. Our new arrival time as 12 noon and our port stay was extended until 8 pm. Because of this change, we did not sail by the Sawyer Glacier (again something else we were looking forward to and disappointed that we couldn't do). $100 onboard credit per stateroom does not compensate for the fact that we did not visit Skagway and did not sail by the Sawyer Glacier.

The food in the dining rooms and buffet was mediocre! The '4 meal specialty dining package' left a lot to be desired. There was nothing 'special' about any of the restaurants' foods. It was a complete waste of money at Le Bistro, Cagneys, Teppanyaki and La Cucina. At La Cucina our lasagnas were salty and even though we told the server she did not offer us a replacement. Also the coffee was dreadful! As soon as we disembarked Norwegian Sun it was chaotic. In the terminal for the buses there was no representative who could give us the correct instructions as to where to go.

When we did find a representative they gave us the incorrect information and we nearly followed a line of people (who had arrived on the Disney Cruise Ship) to their buses! Eventually we did join a Norwegian Cruise Line queue and had to wait in line for over an hour waiting for buses to take us to Vancouver Airport. We were told that no buses had been ordered and obviously passengers were extremely tired and worried they would miss their flights!

It seems to me that as soon we we disembarked, Norwegian Cruise could not be bothered with us anymore - they had received their money and they didn't care - we didn't mean anything to them!! Norwegian Cruise Line should compensate their guests in monetary terms for taking a ruined cruise, the upset and disappointment they incurred whilst onboard ship - it certainly was not an enjoyable time!

Never, never again will we take a cruise with Norwegian. An email four days before we say that an entire day of only THREE days in Alaska has been cut off, and an extra day in Seattle added on the end of the Cruise. We are from Seattle and we could care less. We saved for this and waited for months. No sympathy from customer support. $100 on-ship credit is a complete joke. Never, ever again - we are telling everyone to AVOID.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Norwegian Cruise Lines has been in business for over 48 years; it developed the concept of freestyle cruising, which means a relaxed dress code, that lets guests enjoy the cruise at unscheduled, individual paces.

• Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar: The Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar is a bar set in an arctic chamber; the walls, the bar and everything inside is made from ice.
  • Waterfront: Norwegian's Waterfront is a quarter-mile deck where guests can walk and enjoy oceanfront views.
  • Walk the Plank: Thrill seekers can experience walking the Plank, which is a narrow beam traveling 8 feet out over the water.
  • Great Stirrup Cay: One of Norwegian's unique stops is the company's private island, where guests can explore and play in the shoreline.
  • Broadway at sea: Norwegian Cruise Lines guests can take in exclusive Broadway shows while on board.
  • Best for The Norwegian Cruise liner is best for budget-conscious families and adults looking for a relaxed, less formal cruise experience.

Compare Cruise Lines