2.41/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

653 Norwegian Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

February 15, 2019 Norwegian Gem. Disembarked final was over an hour after the time we were uploaded to disembark. Also customs and immigration took an hour to process. As a result we missed our Super Shuttle and 15 minutes of phone calls and four live bodies continued to either cut me off completely or transfer me back into voicemail jail. As a result we had to spend an additional $75.00 ID for transfer to LaGuardia airport in order to clear security just in time for our flight home.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I emailed a Casino host named Joe or Joey, in early January 2019. I never got an email back. I then called Joe, and asked for a win/loss statement. They gave me a form stating that I won $550.00. Let me explain what happened on the cruise. I won 3 different times, that required a W2G FORM. ALL my wins came to about $8,500.00. All my losses came to about $9,000.00. Now all my WINNING W2G forms will go the IRS. Now the IRS, is going to think I won only, and tax me 33 percent on my winnings.

I called the Casino host, Feb 5 and asked for all my losses, Joe said he would definitely get back to me. 2 weeks later, no call or email. I called today 2/15/19, spoke to a woman, asked for Joe and was told he is busy. (Meanwhile he was talking in the background, listening). This woman, whom was not very nice or professional, told me, "You got your win/loss and it states you won $575.00." I then told her, I need a sheet of my losses or the IRS, will think I won, when they see 3 of my winning W2G FORMS. She proceeded to tell me, that's all I am getting and nothing else. I gamble a lot on those cruises, I got treated so horribly, I couldn't believe how bad, they (Joe in the background) were treating me. To all players out there, good luck, if you gamble on their cruises.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I purchased a cruise token for a future cruise on board ship on my holiday and lost both token and £200 because I couldn't go on cruise I had booked. I also lost the ability to use token as for a future cruise as I was unable to rebook another cruise on the same phone call I had made when cancelling Even though there was 3 months to go before I was due to leave. Beware the token you purchase is only for cruise and they will charge you an extra £200 for cancelling flight if it's required. I did complain but was given excuses and no real help.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

We had a cruise booked in Sept of 2018 in the Baltic sea. The ship was supposed to go to a port near Berlin. After a 3 hour bus ride we were informed that the ship was not going to make it there and we were bused another 3 hours back to Berlin and told we were to make our own way to Tallin and meet the ship. After an exhausting 2 days we finally arrived. Because of our ordeal they gave us a letter on board saying they would reimburse us for the travel ($300 per person) which they did and a 2 day refund for the time missed. That is where the lies start.

After many calls to Norwegian to find out where that refund was, and even after sending a copy of the very letter they gave us, they denied EVER giving it to us. They said they never printed it and had never seen it before. It was printed on their letter head signed by the manager of guest services. I do not know how a company that relies on good customer service can all out lie to people even when the proof of what they say is right in front of them. Will not be booking with Norwegian again and neither should you.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

My wife and I were on an NCL cruise out of Barcelona to the Canary Islands. After we boarded, we were informed that the norovirus was on the ship. We had no option to disembark as we had already left port. My wife caught the virus, and was told to stay in our cabin for 24 hours. I, her husband, was also quarantined. When I requested food for myself, I was denied food or drink; required to follow same protocol as my wife. After 24 hours, she had recovered and we went to dinner. There we were told we had to remain in cabin for another 24 hours, again without food or drink. When we complained, all of the service personnel kept telling us to talk to someone else. No one on the ship cared about our comfort or satisfaction. When my wife complained to the captain, he said it was corporate policy.

Beyond that, the food was passable at best, unless one ate at the premium extra-charge restaurants. This was the worst cruise experience of our lives, and one of my worst travel experiences in my 55 years of global travel. I strongly recommend that everyone avoid travel on Norwegian Cruise Line. They only care about their corporate profits and care not a bit about their passengers. NCL is a disgrace to the travel industry.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norwegian Cruise Lines?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Booked a New England cruise on NCL in October 2018, unfortunately Hurricane Michael arrived. NCL extended the cruise in front of us by 4 days to avoid the storm, which was understandable, but they cut our cruise by 4 days with no cash refunds. Offers of vouchers and/or credits applied to your onboard account were offered if you chose to sail the new shortened cruise, sailed to 1 port instead of 5 and that port was the furtherest one away with NCL hoping you would spend your shipboard credit. Due to my end stage kidney failure we chose to sail to Cuba in April with NCL to redeem our $1100 (NO CASH) voucher. Just received an email from NCL that they are taking one of our ports and pushing us to Mexico, what a crock.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Booked cruise on NCL in December 2018 that included two days in Reykjavik, Iceland, to arrive in 8 am Sept 8, 2019 and leave at 1 am on Sept 10, 2019. Just found out through an Iceland tour guide that the ship is not arriving until 6 pm and not at 8 am. In other words, one day in Reykjavik, not two. NCL Reservation agents, travel agents, NCL website are leading the customers to believe they will have two days in Reykjavik. NCL has been aware of this change for quite some time but are deceptively selling this false itinerary. On a previous sailing with NCL approximately 8 years ago, this same company deleted an entire port (Newfoundland) months in advance of the departure but too late for customers to cancel. They claimed their engine was not working at full capacity and had to skip that port. Beware of this company's bait and switch itineraries. I am waiting to hear back from NCL but from what I have read, they do not respond.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I was traveling on Spirit (that actually belong to China before and bought by Norwegian). The Who cries from China. The food is horrible unless you pay in restaurants. The service is horrible. Like you talk to the hand. Next to my cabin it was flooding and the maintenance people took all furniture from cabin, put it in hallway and starting painting and fixing next to my cabin and not even offering move somewhere else. And the most important... Do not even go to casino at all. Scam. I will never ever use NCL.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Norwegian Cruise Line needs to be rewrite entertainment policy...effective immediately. We booked both "For the Record" complimentary and "Choir of Man" prepaid shows on-line which were subsequently eliminated without any alternate or replacement shows to-date via email. Both guest general service personnel and Supervisor of reservations department over the phone have no further information regarding show replacements and that there would be no further emails regarding the matter. If a show becomes available...we would require to book on the ship and wait in lines with thousands of other passengers attempting to book limited times after previously reserved dinners and on-shore excursions.

We have cruised many times on Norwegian and have experienced the inconvenience of waiting in lines on the ship and the stress that it causes. We picked this cruise only because of the new shows and the ability to reserve and pay ahead of time over the phone with Norwegian. As we refuse to spend our time on-board to get stressed out trying to reserve last minute shows...we have enough stress in our lives year round. We do not plan to get stressed out on your ship and seriously plan to cancel the entire cruise which include 6 passenger total...including both my parents who are only cruising to spend time including seeing wonderful night-time shows!!!

1. It is critical to allow your clientele to book shows prior to boarding the ship. 2. Update our website as it still reflects the shows that have been cancelled which to our entire family is false advertising and a main contributor toward our decision to book the cruise in the first place and convenience our kids and parents to join us. 3. You need to understand the inconvenience, time, and impact that this creates not only to me, my wife, my kids, family and thousands of other passengers that were under the impression that we were to see amazing night time Broadway type entertainment!!! We have yet to be credited for the pre-paid show nor compensated for not receiving services expected for when booking this cruise. Thanks, Silver member Norwegian cruiser and not so sure future Norwegian cruiser. Not so sure anymore: sail date 17-March-2019.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Lost 6 hrs on Cuba time due to berthing before leaving. Then prior to arrival lost another 5 hrs due to “mechanical prob". At 6 pm we got into bus now nearly dark. 1:30 minutes it was over. Too bad as guide was interesting. So no stirrup is because of weather. Nassau not much to see and little time. And what a surprise. Got home without “mechanical prob” but nowhere to fix the first one. Food service was not good. 45 minutes for 3 people with no bread served. The barkeep were not pleasant. Toilets were a problem. I told the bar to report 2 stalls down. Laughed as someone else mentioned, “Was there a captain”. Never saw him or met him! Pool was always empty as water was too cold. Forget the hot tub never any space. Glad the one critic said the line was ALWAYS great and others were sour grapes and biased. The majority seem to be for the thumbs down.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

This was by far the worse cruise for food. I have a wheat allergy and was told I would be accommodated accordingly before I booked. The food was sub-par to say the least. I had to wait 15 to 20 min anytime I needed bread the food I was given looked like it was a frozen dinner, when I spoke to the chef he could care less about my needs and said try a different restaurant. The long and short of it if you have a food allergy stay away from the Dawn.

As for our room the steward did not clean our room or turn down our beds. He just made the bed in the morning and that was it. Except for stealing chocolates out of our fridge. I had a whole bag of Lindor chocolates which he helped himself to every day, so on the last day I left the last one on the bed with a note saying, "Since you ate all of my chocolate why not have the last one" and he replied with a thank you. I took pictures of my note and his reply.

The ship itself smelled of stale urine and fish near any public washroom. On several occasions there were areas blocked off due to some type of repair. The O'Sheen restaurant told us that the one whole side of the restaurant was off limits and he said he wouldn't recommend going anywhere near that side. The bathroom near the night club was shut down. There was garbage everywhere and nobody cared. I have been on many cruises and this one was the absolute worst piece of garbage.

On our last night around 12 AM there was screaming and fooling around right outside our door it was so loud I opened my door to see. It was staff members throwing around people luggage laughing and I said, "Do you mind? We are trying to sleep and you have been screaming and making noise for over 30 min. This is ridiculous." At this point the Stewart apologized but honestly it was unbelievable to see them throwing around people's belongings like they were toys. No respect for people's things and how people feel being woken up at 12 am to that noise. I have contacted Norwegian and they have given me a case number and said I will hear from them in 15 days whatever that is suppose to mean. I have no idea.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Pending review. Langley City, Canada. NCL beware. Cruise gone bad. Bed Bugs!!! We were looking forward to a relaxing cruise. Bitten from head to toe by bed bugs. NCL refusing to replace the cruise with another. Itched the entire cruise both my wife and myself. They gave a dinner and offered a small dollar amount. This does not even compare to the money put out by ourselves. Damaged clothing from laundering all our items, Airfare, accommodation, gratuities and cruise costs. Did not ask for the entire costs involved but a reasonable replacement but no was the answer. Why do they not care about customer relations? I guess we along as others are just nobodies.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I am currently on the Epic on a Caribbean cruise and would like to share my family’s experience. Two members were assaulted by an overserved female guest. We later discovered that the husband of the female assaulted another man the same night at another bar on the ship. We reported the incident to guest services who said they would investigate. They had cameras and we had a cell phone that captured the incident yet the cruise line didn’t even cut off their unlimited drink package! We saw the couple who looked at us an sneered and laughed the next night at the bar.

On land they would have been arrested but on NCL they are allowed to taunt and stalk our family. The cruise line did nothing. In my opinion they care more more about selling unlimited drink packages than protecting their guests. There was no security at the bars which were packed. This is our first NCL cruise and our last. One of our family members is an NCL Platinum member and she said she will never cruise NCL again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I am approximately 5 hours fresh from a 7 day Norwegian Pearl nightmare cruise. From start to finish this was logistics hell... Understaffed... undertrained... incompetent zombie staff with absent management. Nothing about this cruise felt like a vacation. More like a booby trapped upsale with fine print and invisible print hidden at every turn. Simple tasks such as forming lines or communicating left to chaos. A four hour port delay where numbers were given but not followed. I complained and got 7 dollars lmao. We booked a suite and there was nothing sweet about it. Wires falling out of place. Our room sparked once and guest services was awol... Cruise ship delayed 10 hours staff awol. Boarding... debarking... staff awol. Staff that was present sitting staring into space. Someone asked how long of a wait it was to get through customs and staff answered red tag... Lmao... Are you serious... Never ever again.

You all want me to be Norwegian but I was born American and with that comes the freedom to choose and I choose one of your competitors. Get with it even Carnival was better than you... And they are literally named after a circus. Hire a high school student taking a business class to shine your precious fresh coat of paint Pearl because this savvy customer is screaming from the rooftops... Run don't walk as far away as you can. To top it all off no apology for the operational circus... Just four spam emails when I received service trying to sell me another cruise... EPIC FAIL. You get one star for entertainment that was your glimmer of light in an otherwise darkness void as I predict very soon the Norwegian name will sink like the Titanic into oblivion.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Due to "Mechanical Problems" we finally arrived in Cuba ~4 pm instead of noon; we disembarked and boarded the bus around 5:30 pm. Well, at that time it started to get dark so we just rode in the dark, unable to see any historical monuments, gardens, the famous Cuban beaches etc. No stores were opened. We really spent money and still can say "we never visited Cuba". When complaining at the desk they offered to cut all the service charges: in this way the servers, waiters, cooks, etc, will not receive any compensation! Is this fair?

We also received a letter stating that NCL will give us a 25% credit to be applied to the next cruise! Norwegian needs to step up and compensate for THIS horrible trip and NOT for the next! MECHANICAL PROBLEMS RESULTED in the FAILURE of this CRUISE. Furthermore, the ship is old and has a foul odor in certain areas such as at "Dazzles" or at "Stardust". The service was good; the food was very poor, leftovers were served in the following days. The only positive thing was the free drinks. Entertainments were fine, we liked the shows.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Booked the cruise for Dec 21-26, stopping in Stirrup Cay, Nassau & Havana. Havana was listed as a noon-noon port when this trip was purchased. About 3 weeks after booking, received a letter that this would shortened to noon-6am. Actual sailing cruise cancelled Stirrup Cay (statistics show this is cancelled 60% of the time due to rough waves where tenders dock - NCL owns the island & should know and remedy this!) Then, due to losing 1 engine, we landed in Cuba about 5pm, rather than noon. However, the ship holds a lottery to get off the boat in this port. Then you actually go through customs at this port. So once we were called (last) and stood in line at customs, we hit land in Cuba at 7pm! No concessions were made for this delay at Cuba AND cancellation at Stirrup Cay! Also, beware this ship has very few bathrooms in public spaces and then several became out of order. Not a good ship to get stuck on. Smaller of the fleet with little to do!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

This was the last chance for my parents who are in their late 80s to see their birthplace with their children and grandchildren. Unfortunately, Norwegian Cruise Line ruined the experience. The itinerary indicated 1.5 days in Havana. Due to "technical difficulties" we were only allowed 1 hour of daylight in Havana. Their response was simply "sorry." There was no attempt to extend the time or at the least comp. the trip or give a refund. My warning to you that if you want to see Havana DO NOT book the Norwegian Sky. You are risking too much.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

One of the main reasons we booked this cruise was to go to the Reykjavik Geothermal fields, Viking Museum and especially the Blue Lagoon. On May 5, 2018, in good faith, we booked excursion REYN03 for the 9:30 am tour. We also booked other tours with NCL. Because NCL is not offer an evening Northern Lights tour we booked and prepaid with an independent for that same evening. Since the NCL tour was a 6 hour tour we had plenty of time to get back for the night tour. A few days after boarding the ship on 9/3 we noticed that our tour had been moved to after 4:30 pm in the evening. We had never been informed of this change. Since this tour is the most popular one of the cruise we were told that there were no further openings even for the next day.

We went to cruise excursions and spoke to the excursion supervisor who said there was nothing he could do because NCL HQ had overbooked the 9:30 am excursion and moved the excess into the later excursion. He was very unsympathetic and acted like he could care less that this spoiled our vacation. All he said was, "Take it up with home office." He callously pointed out some fine print that NCL had the right to change the terms of the excursion at their will. I told him that I understood this, but why didn't NCL notify us of the change so that we could have booked the earlier time the next day or used an independent to go on this once in a lifetime excursion.

I note that other cruise lines routinely notify guests about excursion changes, so why didn't NCL shows some courtesy to us in informing us of this change in scheduling? It does not give me a pleasant view of a company that doesn't apparently care for its customers. This was our 3rd cruise with NCL and I am totally disappointed and disgusted with how we were so callously treated. I don't see any excuse why a simple notification could have been made. This is certainly no way to treat loyal customers who pay large amounts of money to this company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

First of all I have been on several cruises, first time with NCL, overpriced, upgraded to get freebies, dining and beverage, almost impossible to get drinks. When you did they were watered down. Most bars closed at 10 pm, Los Lobos, didn't want to give you food you ordered, they wanted you to share. The savor food was very salty. Nearly 5000 passengers and they could not accommodate. Everything was booked, places only held few people, unless everyone stood up like sardines, ship was so noise/loud when you were in your room. Everything was a extra charge. I witness a injury, alerted the staff, it was like they didn't know what to do. Would not recommend this cruise line.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

How DECEITFUL! I booked a cruise this morning following the ‘Free at Sea’ prompts. Through every single page it led me to believe I had the rate + 3 “Free at Sea’ items. I even upgraded to a balcony so I could choose more than 1 ‘Free at Sea’ item. Well, after I paid, I did not see where to choose. I called customer service and was told that I wasn’t eligible with my category. Now, if I just ‘looked over’ something I wouldn’t be so upset. However, the links provided by NCL website showed me eligible for ‘Free at Sea’ every step of the way!

I took the route through these pages:
• Link to Learn More on the main page (About the “Free at Sea’ Special)
• View Cruises link that took me to the available ‘Free at Sea’ cruises
• The list of those above listed cruises – each having ‘Free at Sea’ check boxes under each description

• View All Dates and Pricing shows a chart – WITH my balcony rate and a green color-coded hash next to it specifically. That green mark is explained as “Free at Sea’ below the chart.'

If ‘Free at Sea’ was something not available for what I chose – WHY put the green hash mark on EVERY option next to it as YOUR website leads me through the process? As a new customer, how am I to know what promotions are not available to me when you let me click on, PLUS show me in color code that it IS available? The only real thing made clear on these pages is that I may have an obstructed view from my balcony. Absolutely, there is fine print… "may not include promotional offers." Promotions – So what is a promotion? Could be promo codes, credit from past cruises, partial refunds, etc. How am I to know? On every page I followed it had the “Free at Sea’ listed on whatever I chose. I am not a novice web user and have booked MANY trips online. This was going to be my first with Norwegian. However, I will never sail this cruise line. This was total scheming or extremely poor web development – I’ll let you choose that one!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Before you decide to book a cruise with NORWEGIAN, read this… This was to be our 40th anniversary, once-in-a-lifetime cruise in Hawaii departing on August 25th. Unfortunately, hurricane Lane arrived and we were scheduled to fly at the height of the storm. Our United Airlines flight on August 24th was delayed indefinitely. Lane was a category five, a state of emergency had been declared by the governor of Hawaii, a federal disaster declaration issued, and the Honolulu harbor was closed. The governor stated that any residents and visitors to Hawaii have 14 days of food and water with them, even at the shelters, and that there is not enough room in shelters for everyone.

With the harbor being closed, Norwegian decided that our cruise was going to be delayed 2 days. We received a text from Norwegian and a letter from Vivian Ewart, Sr. Vice-President, Passenger Services on August 23rd stating that all passengers will receive a refund for the value of two days of the cruise fare. Because of the seriousness of the storm, United offered us a waiver to reschedule up to one year from the booking date. This was a much welcomed and rare offer from an airline. We were extremely alarmed at the possibility of trying to reschedule and fly into a hurricane, so we decided to accept the United Airlines offer and felt relieved that at least we had Norwegian's 2-day refund.

After a couple weeks of not receiving the refund, we were told that we will not be receiving it because we were unable to arrive in a hurricane for the new sailing date determined by Norwegian. In other words, we supposedly canceled. It was not stated in Ms. Ewart's letter that we had to risk our lives to arrive in a hurricane to receive the 2-day refund. We would understand not qualifying for the refund if we canceled well before the original departure date, but it hardly seems fair to penalize us the 2-day reimbursement for the very reason they are awarding it - unsafe to travel in the hurricane. After several appeals to Norwegian they refuse to reconsider and follow through with their written promise to refund the 2 days of cruise fare. So book your cruise with any other cruise line that has better customer service! They do not care about their customers!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Our family of five were booked on 9 September cruise to Bermuda aboard NCL Escape. It was our dream vacation that we had been planning for the past 4 years. On 7 September we were advised that our itinerary was being changed to the Bahamas due to hurricane. We immediately contacted our travel agent with intent to cancel or reschedule this cruise and were advised that it would be up to NCL. Upon calling NCL we were told that neither of these options were possible and that we either cruise or lose our money and were referred to a fine print on the ticket.

Having no options we boarded NCL Escape on the 9 September and proceeded to Florida and Great Stirrup Cay. Third day into the cruise captain announced that our ship will not be going to Bahamas either. As a result of cancellation of the Bahamas stop, we've got neither and our dream vacation at this point was completely ruined. Totally a waste of our time and money. The Bermuda cruise is considered a premium destination and cost us around $3500 USD whereas the Bahamas cruise from the same port and same duration was selling for around $299 per person (approximately $1500 in total for 5 people).

All my attempts to reason with guest relations led to pointing at the fine print that they can do whatever they want and customers who pay and don't receive what they pay for, are screwed. To date we have not received any communication from NCL as to what compensation if any should be considered. We were not expecting a cash compensation, however, a price difference between two destinations would be fair. All I want to say to other customers is to stay away from these thieves who covers up with fine print. Even Carnival Cruise line has better customer service. Never again would we give our business to NCL.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Cruise was ok... Shore excursion in Antigua should have been cancelled due to weather... They didn’t want to miss out on money so took us anyway... Excursion was catamaran/snorkel and beach day. Was only able to snorkel for 5 minutes due to rough seas and it rained 3/4 of the trip. Went to desk to see what could be done. Told me to fill out survey. The last day I purchased San Juan tour and then airport transfer. Had us meet in Stardust Theatre. I was appalled that made elderly folks walk down and up several flights of stairs to get to stage to get sticker. I personally helped an elderly woman get back up the stairs.

I went to inform a staff member that they need to move upstairs. They looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. There were people in wheelchairs, walkers, elderly and obese blocking the entrance to theater. Again I went inform someone, not safe. Emaunual ** a concierge told me to shut up or was going to call security. Bad enough not to think that through putting shore excursion people at the bottom of three flights of stairs, but when brought to their attention, ignored it and threatened to call security. I only wish I would have taken a video of it all. Needless to say I didn’t want to take the San Juan tour and wanted my money back. They refused. So if you're thinking of planning cruise! Might want to look at Royal Caribbean or Holland. If cruise on Norwegian DO NOT GO ON EXCURSIONS!!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I booked a package through Expedia for flight and cruise. We just had a snow storm in NJ so all flights got canceled. I was on the phone with Expedia for 3 hours for them to tell me there’s nothing they can do because Norwegian said it’s sunny in Miami and they’re going to consider us a no show. They won’t reschedule or refund us. I been at the airport since 2 am and still here praying for a standby flight and NOTHING because EVERYONE is waiting for standby. I can’t believe Norwegian won’t even consider what we’re going through and making it as if we chose not to be there and they won’t accommodate us.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Boarding the Ship in Singapore. I arrived at the terminal by coach from my hotel in Singapore, from there I had to wait in a chaotic line for 2.5 hours before boarding the ship, the terminal was hot and overcrowded, the staff directing the passengers had different opinions on what was to be done and where people should be prior to boarding, so from 12.30pm until 3.00pm I had to navigate and endure what can only be described as a “train wreck”.

The Stateroom - I have been in staterooms before and the so-called “staterooms” on-board the Norwegian Jewel are definitely not staterooms. They are merely cabins, a real stateroom has room for at least 2 passengers to sit and dine in their room and they tend to be larger than cabins with more furniture. The balcony was average size for a cabin, however the 2 chairs were uncomfortable and the table was a mere 30cm x 30cm square (approximate) and about the same height, only enough space to put 2 glasses on, I had to be careful not to trip over it.

I also discovered the cabin door would not lock, the safe also did not lock and this took 2 hours to fix so consequently we had to wait in our cabin for that period of time. The bar staff at the stern. The 2 bar staff at the stern were extremely slow with queues building all the time, at times there were 13 passengers waiting for drinks which took up to 25 minutes to be served, the staff became rude to customers when they did not understand what drinks were required making the staff look incompetent.

The bar staff were consistently running out of drinks and stating to the passengers they will get some more later, the passengers needed their drinks then and not 2 hours later. What I did and a lot of other people did was to walk to the bar in the cafeteria area and get drinks there, it was a lot quicker and friendlier, the bar staff member there was a lot more professional and faster. By the time I walked there and back to the rear deck the same passengers were still waiting in the queue.

The Cafeteria Buffet and BBQ Deck - The food had been cooked and kept heated to a temperature of “just warm” so by the time you selected your food and found a table the food had gone cold. I also found most of this food was stale, it had been cooked some time ago. Main Dining Rooms - I found the menus needed to have more selections and also they needed changes to the menu each day, the food was also served warm so by the time I had finished eating the food had gone cold. I also found the food portions were too small and I was leaving the Dining Room feeling hungry.

Shore Excursions - The shore excursions I went on were poor value for the money charged, 1 excursion was canceled and I got very little notice so I had no time to choose another one. We were taken to venues not listed on the excursions like the “Gem Warehouse” for the purpose of buying gems, not what shore excursion are all about. if I want to buy something I will go to shopping in my own time.

On-board Laundry Service - There was very little instructions about how this service worked. I had to chase up crew members for laundry bags, the first lot of laundry I left for pick-up was left in the cabin so I went to the service desk waited for 25 minutes to be told I had not signed the bottom of the laundry list, it would have been far easier if the cabin crew had pointed this out on the day at that particular time instead of me wondering what’s going on and spending my time running around the ship to find out myself.

Reception Help Desk - It is stated in your cabin if you need assistance you can phone the reception/service desk, what a joke, in the 8 days I was aboard they never picked up their phone once so you had to trek down there and wait in line for assistance. There was no messages/advice coming through the speaker in our cabin so if you needed to hear vital information you had to be in a public area or stand outside your cabin to hear.

On-board Maintenance - I was woken up to the sound of crew members using power tools to repaint the ship outside of my cabin, I believe this should be done in port and not in the middle of my cruise and where it interferes with me. Cutting Short half a Day in Kuala Lumpur - For some reason, it was never explained fully to the passengers, the last day in Kuala Lumpur was canceled and the ship left early for Singapore, that’s not what I paid for. Please explain?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

CANADIAN AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVELERS BEWARE! When researching the cruise, the website (in Canada) is Canadian with Canadian prices. I thought the phone number would connect to an agent who was properly trained. He confirmed I was in their system and knew I was Canadian. I confirmed the price From the website and the cruise was booked. Later, my credit card was charged much more than what was agreed to and I discovered they had billed US dollars.

After hours of communication with several supervisors, I was told there was no customer service issue and it was up to me to state I want Canadian funds (even though they knew I was Canadian viewing the price on a Canadian website in Canadian dollars). They would not acknowledge their error. I requested an onboard credit and was told no as there was no service issue. I’m trying to figure out if this is done intentionally so they can make more money. (BTW past cruises have been great. So much for being a loyal customer!)

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

My wife and I planned a Mediterranean cruise for our 25th anniversary. My luggage never made it on the ship. After two days of wearing the same clothes, NCL finally admitted it was in Barcelona. They would not ship it to a forward port. After some protest and appeal to the top customer service rep on the ship, I was offered a $100 onboard credit and told to buy clothes off the ship. I was told to keep receipts, and they would be considered upon return. I am now being told that they are only willing to offer a $200 credit on a future cruise. I travel for a living, and I am dumbfounded by the incompetence and lack of service exhibited by NCL. I will never use this company again and would strongly recommend that you think twice about paying your hard earned money. Apparently, it does not matter if they hold up their end of the contract. Let others know... #NeverNCL.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Was by far the worst cruise I have ever been and I have been on many! The food was awful. Drinks were watered Down. The waiters were not pleasant at all! I ordered Wi-Fi for my room and they refused to give it to me. The waiter in the Italian restaurant that we paid money for at first refused to give us butter for our bread because he said they don’t do it that way in this dining room. The regular dining room I ordered a medium rare New York strip steak, came out well done! Then when I ask him to redo it the waiter definitely had an attitude. I did have fun on the excursions. I just have to say the menus in the main dining rooms were just blah. We never saw a professional photographer for the first three days of our trip. Most of the bathroom around the pool and spa area were dirty.

On our last day we were sitting waiting to get off the ship and we sat down on the seventh floor in a restaurant area and there was a bucket of puke sitting on the table. I immediately went and told someone about it and an hour and a half later when we did get off the ship it was still sitting there! That is disgusting!! While booking this trip directly with Norwegian I was never told that the third adult in the room is not eligible for the ultimate drink package. I think that is something that they should’ve let me know about! Overall not a very good time. I will not be traveling Norwegian again.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

We missed the flight home, to Manchester, after a medical emergency, which took our ship off course, by several hours. Time the ship did not make up. Hundreds of passengers were affected, having to pay thousands of dollars, to rearrange travel arrangements, with an extra overnight stay, in New York, and, in our case, a cost of $850 each. We spent the last 3 days, of our cruise, stressed, and queuing for several hours, to use a computer terminal, and telephone. I have contacted our travel insurance, who say I can make a claim, for up to £250 each, leaving us at least £1800 out of pocket, THROUGH NO FAULT OF OUR OWN! I understand, that in the small print, of the cruise contract, we probably are not covered for any refund, from NCL, but is there such as thing as a GOODWILL gesture that could be made by the company? As a regular cruiser, on a first time trip, with NCL, I would certainly hope so!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Let me start by saying that we knew the risks of planning a cruise during hurricane season, so we weren't really that bothered by our itinerary changing. What followed is the reason for this review. We were sent to Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Cay, and Nassau. At Port Canaveral, there's not really anything to do besides the space center, which you really need more time for. So we didn't bother getting off the ship. At Great Stirrup Cay, they don't have a dock for a cruise ship, so you have to get carried to shore and back by tender boats. This process is so time consuming that you only get about 4 hours on the island. 2 hours into it, they shut down all the food stands and bars. Also, the swimming area is incredibly crowded - even worse than the pools on the ship. You are literally standing shoulder to shoulder.

Then, the captain skipped our last stop (the main attraction) at Nassau. Now, I understand that we had to go out to sea farther to avoid the hurricane on the way home. What pissed me off is that instead of skipping their stupid private island and going to Nassau, we skipped Nassau. I am pretty confident this was done because it saved them money since they own Great Stirrup Cay. They saved on port fees by not going to Nassau. It's clear they don't care about the happiness of their guests.

At this point, I would have expected them to offer SOME type of compensation or incentive for another cruise - ANYTHING. Especially when you consider that our new itinerary was exactly the same as one of their normal cruises, which is CHEAPER than the Bermuda cruise we booked. At the very least, a partial reimbursement for the price difference would have been the ethical thing to do. The other cruise lines that had to change course offered all their guests some type of compensation. Not NCL though.

Next, let's talk about the actual ship. A member of our group has been on several Norwegian cruises (and will never go on another one after this). The other ships are apparently laid out the same, except the Escape added 2 floors of guest rooms and holds like 2000 more passengers. So there aren't really any more attractions, but there are way more people to fill up those attractions. That was a MAJOR problem during our cruise.

Almost every single event/show/etc on the ship requires a reservation. By the 2nd or 3rd day, they were all booked. ALL OF THEM - not an exaggeration. We decided to try the standby line for one of the comedy shows. We showed up 45 minutes early and there were already about 70 people in the standby line (and the comedy club isn't all that big). We didn't even bother. You basically have to plan your entire trip and everything you want to do by the 2nd day. You can't be spontaneous at all.

There are 2 tiny pools they are ridiculously crowded at all times. I guess if you're into the frat party lifestyle where you're constantly grinding against other people all day you would really like this. For everyone else, it's miserable. Seriously, if you put both pools together, they would be about the size of a typical inground pool at a normal house in the suburbs. If that wasn't bad enough, they close all the pools and hot tubs around 10pm. Not for maintenance or anything - they just close them. By 11pm, pretty much everything except one restaurant/bar is closed. We are adults looking to stay out late and have fun on vacation, but that is apparently not on the menu with NCL.

The one thing I actually enjoyed, the speed slides, were shut down for HOURS every day. The mini golf course has holes/dips under the green that you can't see until you step on them and almost fall, not to mention the frustration of a great putt randomly changing direction or totally stopping. The Bocce Ball court was tapered downhill from the center on both sides, which rendered it all but useless. I realize nobody takes a cruise to play Bocce Ball, but it's just one more thing on the list.

They advertise the zip line that swings out over the side of the ship as a big attraction. What they don't tell you is that IT DOESN'T EVER WORK!!! In fact, 50% of the entire ropes course is permanently shut down. An employee told us that it's shut down because they have no way to work on it and maintain it. So this course probably only worked for the first year of the ship's life and will probably never work again.

If you're not familiar with NCL ships, they have an Atrium in the center that is open for 3 floors, with the casino surrounding it on the center floor. They allow smoking in the casino. By the 3rd day of the trip, the smoke has traveled throughout the entire atrium - all 3 floors. This is really fantastic when your wife is pregnant and trying to avoid second hand smoke.

We got the "ultimate" beverage package, which includes drinks up to $15. What they don't tell you is that they jack up the prices of everything so that the good stuff is just barely too expensive to get. You can get most mixed drinks and pretty much all beers, but if you're into sipping bourbon or scotch, you're only getting the middle shelf stuff.

After all that, NCL wouldn't offer us anything at all. Not even 10% off a future cruise. Not even the difference in price for the cruise we got vs the one we paid for. I have been on Carnival cruises and had a much better time. I hear Royal Caribbean is great as well. I can say that I will never go on another NCL cruise in my life. Neither will any of the 25 other people in my group. That's how bad it was. In fact, I never even write negative reviews on anything, but this was so bad I felt like it was my duty to make sure others don't have the same experience.

Norwegian Cruise Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Norwegian Cruise Lines has been in business for over 48 years; it developed the concept of freestyle cruising, which means a relaxed dress code, that lets guests enjoy the cruise at unscheduled, individual paces.

• Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar: The Svedka & Inniskillin ice bar is a bar set in an arctic chamber; the walls, the bar and everything inside is made from ice.

• Waterfront: Norwegian's Waterfront is a quarter-mile deck where guests can walk and enjoy oceanfront views.

• Walk the Plank: Thrill seekers can experience walking the Plank, which is a narrow beam traveling 8 feet out over the water.

• Great Stirrup Cay: One of Norwegian's unique stops is the company's private island, where guests can explore and play in the shoreline.

• Broadway at sea: Norwegian Cruise Lines guests can take in exclusive Broadway shows while on board.

• Best for: The Norwegian Cruise liner is best for budget-conscious families and adults looking for a relaxed, less formal cruise experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs