2.96/5

Looking for a travel site?

MSC Cruise Lines

Looking for a travel site?

MSC Cruise Lines Reviews

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

This review is for MSC. The ship, crew, and service were excellent. The systems, however, need improvement. They were out of or had to locate certain food and beverage items because the ship was inadequately provisioned. The staff tried their best to overcome this with their fabulous service. Otherwise, this was a great cruise experience.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

Choose this ship Orchestra, to go around Ireland. It was the worst ship and cruise in some 25 cruises. Getting on took around 2 hours, stay in line to drop off luggage, stay in line in terminal, stay in line to get photo taken, stay in line to register credit card. Had inside cabin 12159. Stay away. Must have been under storeroom or kitchen. Every day at 4 AM were awoken by noise of things being moved and dropped on deck above. And the FOOD the worst food on all my cruises. 7 times I eat in the Restaurant, 3 times had to choose something else of what had ordered, same other people on table. Leg of Lamb, 3 - 1/4 slices of dry meat with 3 small hard boiled potatoes, no vegetables, N.Y. steak, meat like a rubber sole, Prime rib, dry like a jerky with string beans.

Breakfast at the buffet, after getting the food in a long line no seat, so people were eating at the pool. The Roundabout at the fruit and salad station was so small 2 people could hardly pass each other. And this ship really can get to your wallet, They had 7 drink packages, free water was only available during dinner at the table, if you wanted a glass of water during the day and had no package they charged 86 cents.

A bottle $ 3,90 Cappuccino $ 4,60, The cheapest drinks started at 7.48 Euro, glass of wine 8,10 euro BUT $ 9,26 Dollar. Then drinks really go up to $ 10,60, and higher. NO FREE shuttle to town, 15 minute shuttle $ 18,40, into Edinburgh 1 1/2 hour 87 Dollars for 2 people 174,- Dollars, a Taxi would have been cheaper. And to top it off they have the nerve to charge you $ 1,- for a donation to UNICEF without even asking you. On top of all this comes $ 115,- Service charge. I wonder how much the workers see of it. They get around $ 1000,- a month and work 12 hours - 7 days a week.

Original review: July 30, 2019

For those contemplating a MSC cruise, think twice, especially non-smokers. We just finished our cruise on the MSC from Hamburg through Molde, Tromso, Longyearbyen, Honningsvag, Geiranger to see the Global Seed Vault and the midnight sun. It could not have been worse except for the beautiful Norway and North Pole scenery. We felt exceptionally sorry for the cruise management, staff and the food we had throughout the journey. First the staff at the dining room. We later learned that the company used to be a freight carrier and later moved on to holiday cruise. Their price is relatively low compared with other cruises, thus little funding for staff hiring and training. Yet this is no excuse for having staff who offered no smile except three on board that we met throughout the 15 days journey. On our first night meal on board, we were led to the assigned table and were given menus and then the waiter walked away.

We studied the menu and close it signifying that we were ready to order, but nothing happened for almost thirty minutes, no bread nor water and no one came, even though all tables around us, tables with travellers from the same tour, are either having bread a second time or started eating the dishes that they ordered, all served by the same waiter. We get hold of someone in white dress but he only said he will return. Later we spoke to another person, obviously more senior, about this and the matter was later fixed. Our table server never introduced himself nor recommend what was best to have for the meal. We did not see any other servers gave that type of service.

The front desk staff was not much better. We asked a lady where the office for membership was. She said 6th deck. We went and looked round and round, but could not find the office, and one of the sign board said 5th deck. We went back to the front desk, This time we spoke to a gentleman. He again said 6th deck. I said I was not challenging him, but the signboard on deck said 5th deck. He then said don’t go because the lady was not working now until later. After dinner, we went again. The lady was attending a handicapped couple. This service took her almost to office close. Then came our turn. She was busy clearing her table while answering our question, definitely not professional. On another occasion we found out the hard way our cabin statement and notice unauthorized donation to UNICEF, the amount was small and later reversed, but who knows when one will be slammed with a bigger amount.

Then the promenade deck. This ship already assigned three areas for smoking, the entire starboard 7th deck. We could only use the portside. However, one rubber cigarette butter was placed on the portside, near the fore dead end, obviously by the sailors. We could do nothing but to avoid that section. On several occasions, we noticed cigarettes ends and cigar butt on the floor. When the starboard side was closed due to strong winds, smoking passengers went to the portside to smoke. At one time, we noticed a sailor holding a painting pan on one hand and a cigarette on the other, went from inside to the promenade deck and smoke. We talked to the smokers in simple English, sometimes they listened, but sometimes they pretended not understand, cheaper price (?) attracted a different kind of customers.

Management was also to be blamed. We noticed a palm-size hole about 0.2 inches deep, near the rear door on the promenade deck. This hole was there the first day and was not fixed not even when we left the ship. The English used on the ship was difficult to understand. When there was announcement in English, it was short and brief, followed by long ones in other two to three European languages.

Amenities in the cabin could be a problem too. The guy cleaning our cabin never introduced himself. Many of us could not find facial tissues inside the cabin. Room service staff are reluctant to give us one except after hard pressing. The set of towels was only two large and two mid size, no small facial towels. Only ten clothes hangers assigned and their head parts were fixed on the rod. You could only used the lower part to hang your clothes and place the whole thing carefully onto a hole in the fixed head. When you get changing, the only thing could be done was to put all your clothes on the bed or sofa. One day the server even put the floor towel (mat) on the wash basin. Facial tissues were a rare commodity on the ship, as on the first day you have to ask and ask again before your are issued with a box. After this, you may not get a second one, We have no such luxury for days and yet the paper slot remained empty.

MSC was an Italian company. One would anticipate the |Italian food should be reasonable. It turned out that the pasta and pizza was barely acceptable. Settling your account is a headache. Even though your credit card is registered and the amount is pre authorised, the actual amount is not automatically debited. You have to line up at the counter on the last day to clear the outstanding. Getting off from the ship can be a pain. You are required to place your luggage outside the cabin for off-loading, but the tags are not issued anytime earlier on previous day before disembarking.

Original review: July 20, 2019

First off I want to state that I’ve cruised with every cruise line with the exception of Disney and Holland America. Now, I booked this cruise in May - gave a deposit with my credit card. I booked it with the intention to go to Cuba. Needless to say that was changed and I was being offered $400 onboard credit. Everything was swell till this week when I received a cancellation email from MSC. I immediately called and after a 20 minute hold I was told my cruise was canceled for non payment, when I mentioned to them the cc was on file and that they didn’t send me one reminder to pay balance - only an email 8 after fact to state cancellation.

All I wanted was for them to reinstate my cruise and I would pay balance over the phone. I even told them they could keep the onboard credit. They refused and offered to give me 1/2 deposit back and I would have to rebook (mind you the cruise is more expensive now), so I asked to speak to a supervisor (5-6 times) - never heard back.

I explained to them that I had a handicapped child and they were taking money away from activities we could enjoy while on vacation. They could have cared less. They told me either take their offer or lose the whole $400. I caved in and rebooked and lost $265 plus the $400 onboard credit they had initially promised. I would also like to state that I’m part of their Voyagers Club (previous customer) and they treated me and my family like absolute garbage. Be very weary of your balance, don’t expect noticed from them on this and don’t think they’ll charge your cc just because it’s on file. Alfredo **.

Original review: July 20, 2019

I travel with my family July 6 to July 13 at the Musica Cruise is very worst. We take the bus to the cruise and we arrive Saturday - only one bus to transfer the peoples. People are fight at the bus put because everybody mad about the situation. I'm expect good time at the cruise but Port of Venice is very hard to take buses. Is horrible - is my first time using this company to vacation and no like this system at the port. I travel before with other company at US never happened very bad this situation???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MSC Cruise Lines?

Original review: July 19, 2019

First of all we when we booked this cruise we were told MSC was only ship that allowed swim diapers for toddlers and MSC provided life jackets for them in pool. After calling couple times and getting different answers, I emailed corporate office and the representative told us “NO” swim diapers and no life vests provided. Little late after booking the cruise. I told her the staff should all be on same page because it sure would save a lot of phone calls and aggravation for people. My son's cabin was suppose to be 2 down from me and he ended up 35 cabins away. Part of reason we booked to get us all on same floor next to each other.

We requested 7:30 dining and when we arrived we were told no later than 5:30! Some of the staff were just the rudest employees ever dealt with. Some of the bartenders rude and not enough. All pools beside baby pool over 6 ft. deep. I would look at another cruise line if I were you! There were 27 family members that went on this trip. No small chunk of change!!! MSC train your staff to have people skills. I know the staff is away from their family for months but this is part of their job requirement.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Just want all future cruisers to be aware that this cruise line that I originally booked my family reunion cruise with in August 2018 then send me an email just before my departure date of July 8 2019 asking me if I would like to bid on an upgraded state room with an ocean view. I did bed and soon after received an email saying that I was successful and that they were charging my credit card however what they do not tell you is that it is not an ocean view but you do in fact have a window but the problem is that there is a lifeboat in the window! So no Oceanview whatsoever and management and supervisors basically tell you, "Too bad" when you complain!!! I would definitely go with Royal Caribbean or Norwegian Cruise lines as I’ve had wonderful experiences with both and they are definitely not criminals as this cruise line is!!!

Original review: July 9, 2019

Hello. You have requested a review of our stay at MSC Opera. Our name is Arianna ** and Svitlana **. We often go on different cruise companies, and we have a large experience of service on cruise ships, but we were 1st time on the Opera MSC ship. And unfortunately our vacation was very poor. :( As soon as we entered the ship, we were surprised about the small the size of the cabin, although we had a cabin with a balcony, there were not even napkins in the cabin.

On the diversity in the restaurant and the buffet, it is better not to remember. The food was from low-quality products and there was no varied choice. Its was no season fruits, except for melons and apples, there was nothing, only apricots were given on the last day. Excursions were also not on the high level Where it was possible to stay a little longer, time was abbreviated and one day they just stole from us. We planned this trip mainly because of the city of Mykonos, so this port was canceled altogether and went to another completely uninteresting city Chaina.

The captain's squad referred to bad weather with a storm warning, although we looked on the Internet, the weather was good everywhere. It was also very economical with parking and time in another port because Chaina was cheaper port than Mykonos. The people understand that they not stupid, that on our ship there was an accident on June 2 in the city of Venice and compensation was paid to the people. But we were suffered in the capital, they were saving money on us. We decided that we would never again use the services of the company. MSC

P.S It was not possible to go out on the balcony and open it, because smoke stood all the time. People was smoking on their balconies. The administration of the ship did not announced to prohibit smoking on the balconies, without at all caring for the fire safety of the people and the ship itself. And the night disco started at 9.30 and ended 1.30-2.00. From loudspeakers it was not possible to fall asleep.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I was looking forward so much to my first cruise. “You’ll never do any other holiday” I was told. Sorry, but if this is what it’s like, it’s not for me. It’s mostly small things that are so very irritating. The “non buffet” restaurants being inadmissible after 1330. That I couldn’t use these for dinner, just lunch. The food, in general, was very good by the way. That I could get any drink up to €10 but had to pay more for freshly squeezed orange juice. That the €9 cocktails suddenly jumped to €10.50 in the “premium dining” areas which, otherwise, were excellent. That I had so much trouble getting more toilet tissue after I had ran out. (I did come back to my room that evening to find a bottle of sparkling wine and a tray of canapés as an offer of apology. An appreciated gesture. Well, the wine was but, God knows how long the canapés had been out of refrigeration for!)

Staff were very chalk and cheese in terms of approach to customer service. I would only name names regarding this if it went beyond basic customer service. Maybe the training, coaching and monitoring needs reviewed here. One very shocking lack of customer service though, was when we left the shop for the last time and we, due to other passengers coming on to the shop, were redirected through the staff areas, as in “you’d be better using the other exits...” Then we were totally ignored and dismissed. We could not get, we were refused, transportation to the front of the port and had to walk the 600m walk (so we were told when we asked) dragging the cases in nearing thirty degree heat to get a taxi! Absolutely disgusted by this.

One more thing. We had to pay for a tips package. A mandatory charge of €63 per person and €35 for children. I’d like to understand where this is going, more than this, if it’s going to the crew. If the ship carries 3000 adult passengers per week this is income of over €180,000 per week. It’s claimed there are over 1500 crew members. That equates to €1,200 to each crew member per week as their tips, not their salary. Is this accurate? I’d just like your passengers to know this.

Original review: June 28, 2019

We sailed on the MSC Seaside on June 8th-15th 2019. Overall it was a very positive experience. This was our first time cruising. The ship is very beautiful and our cabin was comfortable. The staff were hardworking, helpful and very professional. Our cabin attendant was exceptional, she worked long hours and always had a smile on her face. We spent a lot of time in the casino. My favorite bartender was John **, very efficient and professional. The food was regular, could be more diverse. Did not like being hustled to dine in the specialty restaurants. We got charged for a set of pictures that we did not want and did not take.

On our last port day for whatever reason we were targeted and our bags searched when returning to the ship. When we disembarked we were selected for security screening. This was very upsetting, we knew we had no reason to worry because we had nothing to hide. What was very upsetting was being escorted like criminals to have our belongings itemized, searched and feeling like we were the only ones this happened to. No other passengers were visible in the search area. This was a let down after a beautiful trip and left us not wanting to step foot on your ships.

MSC Cruise Lines Company Information