3.07/5

Looking for a travel site?

MSC Cruise Lines

Looking for a travel site?

MSC Cruise Lines Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

This is our 2nd Cruise/booking with MSC. First was on the Divina Dec 2017 and now our upcoming cruise on the Seaside. First booking/cruise- many hours wasted on hold, with zero resolution and even more confusion or differing information each time called. Wi-Fi rarely worked, app never worked, and I would wake up early to stand in the “customer service” line to try to rectify any of the daily problems. I traveled with my family, 2 kids, parents and 4 other relatives. My two kids were 2 decks and opposite ends of ship away from me! I was not happy, nor did I feel safe with them being this far away! They absolutely would not fix this! So had my husband and I not divided and each sleep with one of our children, our 13 yo daughter and 15 yo son would have been that far away! It was a pretty ship. My kids loved the pizza buffet. My husband and I enjoyed the food more so the dining room made to order but the Buffett - it was okay.

2 years later we decided to give another try. Again with my family, my parents and 4 other relatives. Well.... here we go again! Today 1 hour 28 minutes to make a payment! Yes, a payment! Also, I was disconnected during the process of paying for the 2 of 5 cabins booked in our party. Called back- only to speak with someone new - who of course gave different information! Said I was in penalty so $600.00 would be added, I only laugh because all cabins are cross referenced and I had no problem paying for cabin number one! Asked to speak with a supervisor, which surprisingly I was transferred (usually from first cruise was told they are not available or in a meeting and they don’t know when it will end) so I get voicemail that gives a name that started with an E? And last name **? But again disconnected as vm was full!! My third call to MSC now approaching 2 hours and have still only paid for 1 of 5 cabins. Whew! Does the madness end?

Next call I was assured a supervisor would call me- they are now closed and I have not received a call! I did email and they thanked me and let me know they would be in touch in 7-10 days.... (still waiting from cruise number one in the divina two years ago). Just beware!!! Hours waiting on hold, different information each person you speak with- I did this time document every phone call with name of person, information they gave, along with a screenshot of my time on hold. I am hopeful that my kids even though they are older, and parents, they too are older and a little slower- that we will have adjoining cabins as “booked” but you never know!

The ships are beautiful, yes! Communication is terrible! Waiting in lines both on the phone and on the ship are ridiculously silly! Surely, MSC should know this is not normal cruise line standards. (Carnival, RC, Norwegian) We will be booking again with them! (1st time - willing to give a second chance - 2nd time - lesson learned!) Sorry MSC....if you made any attempt to even pretend that you cared or made a mistake (we all make mistakes and oversights), made a half attempt to apologize, show concern for safety that a 13 & 15 yo should NOT be that far away from parents, any effort to have a supervisor call back or reply back to an email then we could be more flexible and understanding. It’s okay! You live and you learn and continue to enjoy your next Happy Sailing on Non-MSC cruise lines.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

MSC really has the worst Customer Service on land and on board. Their website is even worst. I have been cruising on MSC for years and on every cruise myself or my family have had problems and issues from cruise cards with wrong names and dates, points not allocated, plumbing problems and bad cabins etc. I have been registered on MSC website for years but recently when I sign on it's not my name on the profile. My sign on, my email, my details but not my name. You call the call centre 100 times to eventually get hold of someone. Then your question is too difficult for the person that answered so the person says, "My manager can answer." You ask to speak to manager then you are told 'sorry manager is not here'. You ask them to help change the name on your profile then they say 'no you cant. You need to reregister'.

I only have 1 email address so how am I suppose to rereg with the same email address? Because it's not allowed to use the same email address. You then ask the person on the phone, "Can you carry over my points (which is already incorrect) to new profile?" And the person on the phone says 'no'. How is this even possible that you are still in existence? You really need to go out of your way to help customers and you need to train your staff because they are very incompetent and rude. If you want to teach yourself patience should you lack any... make use of MSC Cruises because that's all they good for.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Trip Details. Sail Date: February 2018. Destination: Caribbean. Cabin Type: Fantastica Balcony Stateroom. Repeat cruisers on the Divina with 12 months. The 1st time there were issues and we were told they were corrected. They were not. We knew the shortcomings and were prepared for them, or so we thought. There was no bar service the 1st time. Now, there was bar service but if you drink required ice cream like a frozen mudslide, the bar staff would not get it for you. They told you to go the a different bar and get it yourself. In the buffet area they set up wi-fi calling discs at the tables. You hit the button and someone comes to take your drink order, only beer, wine, juice, and milk though. No Bloody Mary for breakfast. Great idea but they didn't work. There was no entertainment by the pool area during the day time so now they piped in Caribbean music followed by Country & Western. MSC cheaped out and it wasn't well.

There still isn't anything to do on the ship. They had Bingo, a card reader, a palm reader, and gave a class on making a box from 2 sheets of construction paper. Seriously. People were complaining everywhere. Here's the worst of it all, It seems MSC sent out all the boarding paperwork and right up until we boarded the Divina, we were CONFIRMED for 1st dinner seating, which we HAD to have for our child who had medical and dietary requirements, which we notified the cruise line 45 days prior. We got our boarding cards and noticed we were moved to the 2nd dinner seating. This was not going to work, We were told by dining room staff that there was a large vegan group (2700 people) on board and they bumped everyone to the 2nd seating.

Many people could not do 2nd seating for various reasons: older individuals who could not digest their food at that time would be ill and not sleep, people with young children who couldn't wait until 8:30 pm to eat, and us with dietary and medical requirements for our daughter who couldn't (per medication schedule of the past 4 years) couldn't be changed. MSC DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for any of us! We were told that MSC knew 3 weeks prior to sailing that they were bumping all of us and made no attempt to accommodate any of us, nor did MSC even offer an apology. We were told that our comments would be forwarded to the cruise line. We were deprived of our formal nights, and no formal family photos. This was minor compared to trying to feed our child nightly. The people on the ship never even saw our dietary and medical concerns for our child. It was never forwarded to them.

We paid cheap money for this cruise and we probably got what we paid for. It was nothing more than a glorified taxi ride to the islands. Upon a formal complaint to MSC, I was told by numerous MSC employees that MSC owed my family a vacation. MSC however eventually offered a 50% off discount if we went back and spent another few thousand dollars to give MSC a 3rd chance to ruin my family's vacation. They did give me 20% back from the cost of my trip which was basically better than nothing. I applied it to a Royal Caribbean cruise. MSC doesn't care about your loyalty, just your money. Fantastica Balcony Stateroom

Cabin B2 10249. Cabin was nice and clean. The sofa bed really needs to go. The cushions ALWAYS end up on the floor. You can't even sit on it. Cabin steward was outstanding. The bed linen however had dried blood on it and feces and we actually had it changed 3 times in 1 day. This was a common issue on board.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

It started off great. I was going to sail on the very ship I have admired for years from my balcony as a resident of Miami. The embarkation procedure was seamless. The cabin was very nice. The steward was very friendly and did a nice job. Then the 1st lesson started as 1 of the many sales pitches got me to purchase the upgrade to the seafood fine dining restaurant on night 1. Stale bread and frozen butter to start, minuscule over frozen crab portions next, and a simply horrible meal to finish. Write that one off... Not here to complain.

Next, we sent out 4 shirts and 5 dresses to get the wrinkles of packing out using the laundry package that I paid 30.00 for. The next day our cabin steward arrives at our door with his boss to let me know they ripped the collar buttons off of a brand new 100 shirt and offered me champagne as a token of apology. I didn't accept since my accomplice doesn't drink and it would have gone to waste for the most part. The rest of our ironed items were still very wrinkled so we never used that service again. No worries... I'm there to have fun. Write off #2. Next, I spent over 5 hours with various members of the "customer service" desk to get the free internet working on my phone since there was a hurricane pointing at my home and I wanted to be available for family.

2 IT (internet technology) techs, 1 multimedia tech, and about 6-8 different others all couldn't get it to work on a very common Apple XS phone. The internet on the ship was horrible as I heard from many others. For the rest of the cruise, the food at Roy's 3 restaurants was very good, the buffets were pretty average good, the pizza was a great idea, and the ship dinners (we went twice) was very acceptable. But the staff was definitely not overly friendly. Most of them didn't understand English very well, which is kind of odd for a ship that sails out of Miami... and Spanish wasn't their language of choice either.

To wrap it all up, the customer service desk didn't want to offer me anything for the bad meal, the damaged shirt, the internet that didn't work, or the the poor laundry service. But they did however offer me a refund of the gratuities that I was charged for all of the people who are there to make my experience a good one. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ABSURD AND WAS THE PERFECT REFLECTION OF A COMPANY THAT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THEIR EMPLOYEES. I absolutely refused to screw those hard working people and was given a card to email "customer service" in Ft. Lauderdale I'm guessing.

The auto responder said I'd get a response in 7-10 business days. I wait. Nothing. Then I called them and get placed on hold for almost 2 hours before I hang up in disgust. I call back and tell the receptionist about the incident and she promises to get it to a supervisor. The next day I get an email stating that they are sorry for all of my inconvenience and offered me 30.00 off of my next cruise! That was it!!! And the funny part is that I was a rated player in the casino as well. I'm sure that they'll want me back but I'LL NEVER CRUISE MSC AGAIN. One of the worst customer service experience I’ve seen in many years.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I filled a form on MSC website on Wednesday 8/28 to give me a call. Needless to say, they never called. Today I went to the Fort Lauderdale offices to try and clear out an email I received from MSC. The US website shows Saturday time 9 am to 6 pm. I arrived at 2 pm and the office was closed. How can I resolve a problem if the office is closed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MSC Cruise Lines?

Original review: July 30, 2019

For those contemplating a MSC cruise, think twice, especially non-smokers. We just finished our cruise on the MSC from Hamburg through Molde, Tromso, Longyearbyen, Honningsvag, Geiranger to see the Global Seed Vault and the midnight sun. It could not have been worse except for the beautiful Norway and North Pole scenery. We felt exceptionally sorry for the cruise management, staff and the food we had throughout the journey. First the staff at the dining room. We later learned that the company used to be a freight carrier and later moved on to holiday cruise. Their price is relatively low compared with other cruises, thus little funding for staff hiring and training. Yet this is no excuse for having staff who offered no smile except three on board that we met throughout the 15 days journey. On our first night meal on board, we were led to the assigned table and were given menus and then the waiter walked away.

We studied the menu and close it signifying that we were ready to order, but nothing happened for almost thirty minutes, no bread nor water and no one came, even though all tables around us, tables with travellers from the same tour, are either having bread a second time or started eating the dishes that they ordered, all served by the same waiter. We get hold of someone in white dress but he only said he will return. Later we spoke to another person, obviously more senior, about this and the matter was later fixed. Our table server never introduced himself nor recommend what was best to have for the meal. We did not see any other servers gave that type of service.

The front desk staff was not much better. We asked a lady where the office for membership was. She said 6th deck. We went and looked round and round, but could not find the office, and one of the sign board said 5th deck. We went back to the front desk, This time we spoke to a gentleman. He again said 6th deck. I said I was not challenging him, but the signboard on deck said 5th deck. He then said don’t go because the lady was not working now until later. After dinner, we went again. The lady was attending a handicapped couple. This service took her almost to office close. Then came our turn. She was busy clearing her table while answering our question, definitely not professional. On another occasion we found out the hard way our cabin statement and notice unauthorized donation to UNICEF, the amount was small and later reversed, but who knows when one will be slammed with a bigger amount.

Then the promenade deck. This ship already assigned three areas for smoking, the entire starboard 7th deck. We could only use the portside. However, one rubber cigarette butter was placed on the portside, near the fore dead end, obviously by the sailors. We could do nothing but to avoid that section. On several occasions, we noticed cigarettes ends and cigar butt on the floor. When the starboard side was closed due to strong winds, smoking passengers went to the portside to smoke. At one time, we noticed a sailor holding a painting pan on one hand and a cigarette on the other, went from inside to the promenade deck and smoke. We talked to the smokers in simple English, sometimes they listened, but sometimes they pretended not understand, cheaper price (?) attracted a different kind of customers.

Management was also to be blamed. We noticed a palm-size hole about 0.2 inches deep, near the rear door on the promenade deck. This hole was there the first day and was not fixed not even when we left the ship. The English used on the ship was difficult to understand. When there was announcement in English, it was short and brief, followed by long ones in other two to three European languages.

Amenities in the cabin could be a problem too. The guy cleaning our cabin never introduced himself. Many of us could not find facial tissues inside the cabin. Room service staff are reluctant to give us one except after hard pressing. The set of towels was only two large and two mid size, no small facial towels. Only ten clothes hangers assigned and their head parts were fixed on the rod. You could only used the lower part to hang your clothes and place the whole thing carefully onto a hole in the fixed head. When you get changing, the only thing could be done was to put all your clothes on the bed or sofa. One day the server even put the floor towel (mat) on the wash basin. Facial tissues were a rare commodity on the ship, as on the first day you have to ask and ask again before your are issued with a box. After this, you may not get a second one, We have no such luxury for days and yet the paper slot remained empty.

MSC was an Italian company. One would anticipate the |Italian food should be reasonable. It turned out that the pasta and pizza was barely acceptable. Settling your account is a headache. Even though your credit card is registered and the amount is pre authorised, the actual amount is not automatically debited. You have to line up at the counter on the last day to clear the outstanding. Getting off from the ship can be a pain. You are required to place your luggage outside the cabin for off-loading, but the tags are not issued anytime earlier on previous day before disembarking.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

This review is for MSC. The ship, crew, and service were excellent. The systems, however, need improvement. They were out of or had to locate certain food and beverage items because the ship was inadequately provisioned. The staff tried their best to overcome this with their fabulous service. Otherwise, this was a great cruise experience.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

We booked this cruise as a family. As such we were placed in cabins randomly. We were told that this could be rectified on board but once on board (after hours and hours of being treated like animals being herded through waiting lines to board) we were told that due to the numbers allotted to each room that the change couldn't be made. So instead of being in a room with my husband and daughter I was technically rooming with my father in law. We were assured that the room didn't matter, whatever credit card the key card was registered to was how the charges would appear. Not so. We requested 5:15 dining time due to the young children in our party but received a 7:15 seating and were not permitted to change it. This was awful for the 1.5 yr olds in our party!

The food was adequate but the coffee was the worst I have ever experienced in my life. I had to put two instant coffee packets into the brewed coffee to make it even tolerable! We were appalled by the charges for simple things that most cruise lines include. MSC messed up one couple in our party's reservation and they were not able to receive the drink package as was booked so were charged $5 for tiny bottles of water. Completely unacceptable. Although vodka was included in my drink package as well as some fruit juices I was told I would have to pay $11 for a simple Bloody Mary. Insane! Communications on-board were also abysmal. We were unable to download the app as it was broken for weeks leading up to the cruise. Without the app you're screwed. Unless you are lucky enough to hear one of the random muffled announcements you will have no idea what's going on.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

Choose this ship Orchestra, to go around Ireland. It was the worst ship and cruise in some 25 cruises. Getting on took around 2 hours, stay in line to drop off luggage, stay in line in terminal, stay in line to get photo taken, stay in line to register credit card. Had inside cabin 12159. Stay away. Must have been under storeroom or kitchen. Every day at 4 AM were awoken by noise of things being moved and dropped on deck above. And the FOOD the worst food on all my cruises. 7 times I eat in the Restaurant, 3 times had to choose something else of what had ordered, same other people on table. Leg of Lamb, 3 - 1/4 slices of dry meat with 3 small hard boiled potatoes, no vegetables, N.Y. steak, meat like a rubber sole, Prime rib, dry like a jerky with string beans.

Breakfast at the buffet, after getting the food in a long line no seat, so people were eating at the pool. The Roundabout at the fruit and salad station was so small 2 people could hardly pass each other. And this ship really can get to your wallet, They had 7 drink packages, free water was only available during dinner at the table, if you wanted a glass of water during the day and had no package they charged 86 cents.

A bottle $ 3,90 Cappuccino $ 4,60, The cheapest drinks started at 7.48 Euro, glass of wine 8,10 euro BUT $ 9,26 Dollar. Then drinks really go up to $ 10,60, and higher. NO FREE shuttle to town, 15 minute shuttle $ 18,40, into Edinburgh 1 1/2 hour 87 Dollars for 2 people 174,- Dollars, a Taxi would have been cheaper. And to top it off they have the nerve to charge you $ 1,- for a donation to UNICEF without even asking you. On top of all this comes $ 115,- Service charge. I wonder how much the workers see of it. They get around $ 1000,- a month and work 12 hours - 7 days a week.

Original review: July 20, 2019

First off I want to state that I’ve cruised with every cruise line with the exception of Disney and Holland America. Now, I booked this cruise in May - gave a deposit with my credit card. I booked it with the intention to go to Cuba. Needless to say that was changed and I was being offered $400 onboard credit. Everything was swell till this week when I received a cancellation email from MSC. I immediately called and after a 20 minute hold I was told my cruise was canceled for non payment, when I mentioned to them the cc was on file and that they didn’t send me one reminder to pay balance - only an email 8 after fact to state cancellation.

All I wanted was for them to reinstate my cruise and I would pay balance over the phone. I even told them they could keep the onboard credit. They refused and offered to give me 1/2 deposit back and I would have to rebook (mind you the cruise is more expensive now), so I asked to speak to a supervisor (5-6 times) - never heard back.

I explained to them that I had a handicapped child and they were taking money away from activities we could enjoy while on vacation. They could have cared less. They told me either take their offer or lose the whole $400. I caved in and rebooked and lost $265 plus the $400 onboard credit they had initially promised. I would also like to state that I’m part of their Voyagers Club (previous customer) and they treated me and my family like absolute garbage. Be very weary of your balance, don’t expect noticed from them on this and don’t think they’ll charge your cc just because it’s on file. Alfredo **.

MSC Cruise Lines Company Information