1.56/5
Based on 97 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

116 MSC Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

After a year of planning I decided to take my father for his 80th birthday and my mother along with my wife for her 50th birthday as well to the Greek island and Croatia cruise. Usually I cruise with Celebrity but because a friend of us Karen ** that she is a VP of Celebrity Cruise told me to try MCS because she had a friend that work for them and she recommended. We were all excited to bring my parents and celebrating this two big birthdays at board of an Italian Cruise. Well on July 14th we embarked in Venice, already we could not embark on the ship because they had some issues that the ship was anchored in a shipping yard so we had to tender for almost an hour without any air condition and no one offered any bottles of water or any assistant to make this departure more comfortable as possible.

Honestly my mother is diabetic and they are an elderly couple and to be honest it was so unpleasant for all of us. We had booked room 1059 for my parents and room 1214 for us, as soon we arrived in our room # 1214 the room was not set for welcoming new guest, no itinerary and so on. We departure and we were looking forward to cruise by the Grand Canal and see Plaza San Marco but unfortunately the plan was changed and we left Venice from a different location. Our first stop was split then we left later afternoon and the next day was at sea. During the day or at night something happened to the cruise and start to go much slower than normal, the captain announced that they had some mechanical problem but nothing to worry for our security or for our trip destinations. Guest started to worry and everyone started to be agitated and thinks were coming to the surface that the main engine of the ship broke down.

Not one at that time announced anything entail to a point that the entire guest start to complained. Finally the captain announced that the trip will need to be modified and Mikonos will be cancel because the cruise will not have enough power to make it on time. Well the guest went ballistic, people had dinner planned on Mikonos, I had friends planning to meet us at Scorpion Night Club to celebrate my wife 50th birthday. You can imagine that the entire cruise was upset; during the night show someone stand up and start screaming that they want explanations and compensation, people start to called lawyers. Well the trip started to be very sour, the excitement was gone, the vacation was destroyed, no one on the ship was happy. In addition not one of the executive officers want to talk, they only blamed the company that did not give them any information.

It is understandable because as a General Manager in a very sophisticated and high demand private club in South Florida called Ocean Reef Club if something happened we cannot talk that much to our members, but my point is, the vacation was gone. The dream to take my parents to see at least two islands of Greece was gone, they could not even come out at Santorini because it was too much for them. Then my entire plan at Mikonos for my wife birthday was gone, so I want you to understand the mood of entire my family. In addition the captain announced that each stateroom would be credit 100 Euro to be spend on board. This was a joke, really 50 euro per person. Not only we missed one of the major port of our itineraries but also all the others destinations were all changed. All the guest was disappointed. Not one was having fun as a plan; this was a big fault from MSC.

This was not a force of God. This was mechanical, and because I have a lot of friends that work on the cruise industry this was not handled in a correct and professional way. In addition I find out that the Cruise Sinfonia is due for dry-dock in October, that mean that the ship is old and had already many issues in the past. The only positive of the cruise was the night show, and the dinners at the Covo. The rest of the entire time was horrible, we called the Nightmare Cruise trip.

Well probably you all know what happed on that cruise, my demand on you is to be compensate toward my entire cost of my trip for both stateroom. Paid for the best room of the cruise. It was not a problem but not receiving what I paid for it is a problem. So please take your time to investigating, whatever it takes. Email me a.s.a.p. In regard of this matter, you can also call me at my USA number **. I know you are a very respectable cruise company and things sometime happen, now it is you that need to take care the guest that did not enjoyed what was promised. Before I will contact my credit card and open a case, I want you to take care of it. Thank you very much. I will be waiting for your response. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Hi, my wife and I booked a cruise through vacations to go on MSC cruise ship Opera 2 months in advance. The itinerary said that the first port and our port of departure was Naples (Capri) Italy. This itinerary was transmitted by MSC Cruise Lines to my travel agent who then sent it to me. We flew to Naples, stayed 2 days and then made our way to the port of Naples to buy tickets for the water taxi to get to Capri to board the ship which was leaving at 1pm. Upon reaching the port, I asked at the tourist information booth about going to Capri to get the ship and where to buy tickets for the water taxi, a male and female attendant were working but neither could answer my question upon looking at the itinerary and seeing (Capri). The time was flying and it was after 12:00 so I told my wife we must buy the tickets and go to Capri so we don't miss our cruise.

Upon leaving the port of Naples, there was the Opera sitting in the Bay of Naples, and we knew we were in big trouble. A nice young man was on the water taxi and we asked him to use phone to call MSC and he said he worked for MSC and he had a special number. He checked our itinerary and said this was certainly their fault and we should compensated for the water taxi and whatever other costs we incurred. He called the emergency number and they told him they could not wait for us to come back to Naples but we could meet the ship in the next port in Genoa but he told us we would have to take a 6 hour train ride to Genoa. I agreed because we obviously had no other choice.

We took a taxi back to Garibaldi Square in Naples and went down to the train station and bought tickets for Genoa which included a transfer in Rome. Once on the tracks we asked a man in train uniform which track the train to Rome would stop on, he checked our tickets and said he didn't know. To our amazement after finding the right track and boarding once the person came around to check tickets it was the SAME GUY who we asked. WOW. Once in Rome we got off the train at 8:10pm and had to board the transfer train to Genoa by 8:26. We asked a few people and nobody could help, there were about 50 tracks in Rome and the TV screen was not any help. We asked another man and woman in uniform and they said track 14. We boarded the train waiting on track 14 and I asked someone on board if the train was going to Genoa and they said "no, this train is going to Venice"!!!

The train was leaving so we threw our bags off and jumped off the train and found an information booth which informed us the proper track was 25 yellow and told us to hurry. We went as fast as possible but when we reached the track our train was pulling out and left us behind. We went into the Trenitalia ticket office and tried to resolve our problem. I was being helped by a man and he told me there was no more trains to Genoa that night and that the next day he had a train leaving at 1:00pm. I told him our ship was leaving at 6:00 and that the train getting there at 7pm would be too late but he said he could not find anything.

Thank God a young lady who was the manager was listening and overheard my problem, she came over and looked on the computer and found a midnight leaving from Ostiense train station a half hour away from the station we were in and that we would have to take a taxi there and I thanked her dearly and took the tickets that she exchanged and only charged me the difference in price because the tickets were a little higher being it was a sleepover train. I agreed happily.

So we left the station, jumped in a cab and told the driver "Ostiense Train Station". He said, "OK." About a half hour later he said, "Ok, you are here" and we paid and got out with our bags. We entered the station but it was small and just didn't feel right so I walked into a bar there and asked if this was Ostiense Station and the guy said…"no, that's a few blocks up that way...pointing". It was already dark, we were tired, confused and didn't feel like walking to another possible wrong destination so I convinced my wife that we need to ask a cab driver. We did and he said, “Get in”. He didn't even start the meter and drove two blocks or so and said "ten euros". I was furious but paid that creep but I was relieved to see the Ostiense Station in front of us. It was about 10:30pm now, cold and dark, but we found the proper track and waited for the midnight train to Genoa.

Once in Genoa, at 7am, we had coffee, a small bite to eat and made our way to the port of Genoa by taxi to meet our ship which were told would be there at 9am and we could board. We got to the port, got out of taxi and were greeted by a man in a MSC uniform and he asked if he could help. I showed him the itinerary and he said he needed it to print our boarding passes. When he returned he gave us the passes and took our 2 bags and said he would put our cabin number and names on our bags and that we should give him a good tip. I gave him 3 euros. He told us to go inside the building there and see the man at the desk inside with our boarding passes. We did but the man said we could board because the ship had not arrived yet. I went around back to look because my wife was upset, we had not changed clothes for 2 days and we were very anxious to get onboard and catch up on our cruise.

When I went around back there was the MSC Opera sitting in port and the man at the desk had obviously lied. We approached him and he said would see what he could do but we should sit down and wait as other passengers were coming who would board in Genoa. We waited 2 hours and nothing, so my wife approached him again and explained our hardship and again he said he would see what he could do. 12:00 came and other passengers came also and finally we were allowed upstairs were the security belt and where they checked your boarding passes. A nice girl checked our passes and said she needed to have a guy sitting in front of the belt make a copy of them, when he saw our names he said my last name , "I know you, you are the one with the red and the blue bags. I took care of your bags because your cabin # was changed, I want to make sure they go to the right cabin."

I said thanks and we went through security and boarded the ship by 1:00pm. 3:00 came fast and no bags came. We had no underwear or change of clothes but we showered and called the desk again and they said the remaining bags were being delivered now so I said thanks. 6:00 came, no bags. I called again, they said to come to the desk and see them. Our dinner seating was at 7:00 and the line at the service desk was 40 people long. We waited and waited and finally decided to go eat and come back as to not miss our seating. Upon coming back the line was still 20 people long and only one guy there now taking care of people. We waited a bit and then wife lost her patience and stormed the desk and started yelling at the guy, embarrassing but probably warranted.

He walked away from and I approached and told him he told me to come to the desk and I asked if there were any bags down there anywhere and he opened a door and there sat 3 bags, 2 of them ours. To my surprise our bags had tags on them but they were BLANK! NO NAME OR CABIN #! I complained but they just shook it off, I asked for management and he said he was the manager. I then went back to our cabin and called MSC phone number for customer service and told this horror story to them and they said there was nothing they could do. That phone call cost me 40.00 U.S. from the ship. After settling down we went on tour the next day but we were still traumatized and angry.

The rest of the cruise was OK, one tour we had bought had no English guide and it was supposed to, the food was OK and everything else average, we were on our 4th cruise so we knew the drill and what to compare to and I found Norwegian Lines to be much more friendlier and far more attentive as to our every need. Once we got home I started making calls, and VacationToGo, my travel agent agreed to pay us back 200.00 U.S. and said I was a good customer but that MSC sent them the itinerary and that they should have no problem reimbursing the other $200.00 I had spent on taxis, water taxi, trains etc. But they flat out refused even though my agent said I was 100% right about the itinerary saying "Capri". And that they should have no problem with such a small request but they flat out refused.

I would not suggest MSC to anyone, they are not caring about your problems and a lot of crew you encounter try and shake you down for money if you need something. Not nice at all. I personally think they don't like Americans, maybe because they don't get many? Not sure? But it was the worst experience traveling I ever had and I have been all over the world. Japan, China, Europe, South America, Africa...and many other destinations. It sucked.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2018

We chose this cruise line as it would best accommodate our travel destination needs. My family and I have been on many cruises in the past and thought this one would be equally as pleasant as the others. The food was fine, the crew was nice, and things seemed normal until they demonstrated just how heartless they truly are. In Messina, my family and I went on a bike tour. The drivers there are very reckless and my mother was hit by a car on the bicycle and injured both her leg and arm. The two tour guides rushed to her aid and attempted to bandage her as best they could but she was still in pain and bleeding a lot. The tour guide then said it’s best we find a way to get her back to the boat via taxi. We got the taxi and my mother, father, and the assistant tour guide tagged along.

Upon arriving to the ship my father had to pay 100 euros to the taxi driver, including the price of the assistant bike guide that tagged along. MSC would not even cover the price of their crew member in the taxi. Because my mother was injured, my father and I went to the desk and asked if they could cancel the reservation for the excursion the next day due to the fact that my mother was injured and from the car hit. The woman at the desk exclaimed that she could only refund the amount of the two tickets for my mother and father but not for my brother and I. Also that she was only refunding for my mother as a courtesy. And that they did more than enough for us.

Now the twist in this entire tragedy is that the excursion in question (that we want to cancel) is one that we never wanted in the first place. We only booked it only because they cancelled another that we had on a different day at the last minute because we speak English and there weren’t enough English speaking participants. And by the time that we were notified of the cancellation, there were no other excursions available in our interest because it was last minute. The desk, and their manager showed no emotion and only mentioned dollar figure and that they had provided enough compensation by cancelling my parents' tickets. The only thing my family and I wanted was to all be together for our family vacation but instead they left us with a nightmare and bad memories.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I have been trying to get a refund of my deposit after canceling booking ** since 3 May 2018. VacToGo referred me to MSC. I wrote them an email on 23 June. No response to date. I phoned them today. No answer after 6 minutes international call. My bank has confirmed that nothing has been paid back and I need proof of payment.

Original review: June 4, 2018

There were so many disappointing aspects of this cruise but I want to focus on the top three issues. Let me say in advance, we booked all of our excursions through the cruise. The first issue is regarding an excursion in St. Maarten called See & Sea. This was advertised as a semi-submersible ship with an underwater viewing area. I imagined a safe boat with a large below deck viewing area. What I got was a small gasoline powered pontoon boat with a hollowed out lower hull.

We were escorted down below in a single file line. It was so small that I could stretch out my arms and reach both sides at the same time. When the seats were lowered from the wall and we were all seated, there was no way to walk from the front or the back. In the event of an emergency, there would be no way to escape this tiny death trap. My daughter was overcome by motion sickness and we had to crawl over people just to reach the top. Please do not take a chance on this excursion. The cruise line should stop endorsing this one.

The second issue is regarding the Atlantis adventure in the Bahamas. We weren't informed until after we'd left the ship that Paradise Island is a cash-less island. We had left our credit cards onboard and had no way to pay for lunch, drinks or souvenirs. Even if we had been told to bring our cards, there just isn't enough time to fully enjoy the waterpark. This excursion is by far one of the most expensive options and absolutely not worth the money.

Ok, the last big issue surrounds the photo package. I purchased the photo package and my family stood in line to be photographed by the professional photographers. I stopped at the photo kiosk to ensure that our pictures were properly linked to my account and the customer service rep assured me that they were. Now, three days after disembarkation, none of these pictures are linked to my account. I've followed the instructions to set up my account and link the pics but nothing is showing up. I've contacted my travel agent and submitted a claim but as of this moment, I paid for a photo package and I have nothing to show for it. Bottom line, avoid MSC at all costs. Between these big issues, the mediocre food, the abundance of rude staff members, this was a terrible experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MSC Cruise Lines?

Original review: April 23, 2018

I booked an MSC cruise over 18 months ago. Last November I was told by my travel agent it was double booked. Because of this I lost my flight money and other monies. I was promised by MSC it would refund my new flight monies as yet 5 months on I have a new booked cruise but only one third of my flight money's back. MSC are not bothering to contact myself or my travel agent which is disgusting. Because it was MSC fault of double booking I have lost out big time. No one will answer my emails. Buck your ideas up MSC.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I try to get on MSC Cruise Lines Website. I cannot. It keeps on crashing daily. I try calling them. Hours on Hold. I am supposed to be going on a Cruise with MSC to the Caribbean on Sat 21 Apr 2018. Thank Heaven I got everything done in time. Unfortunately for MSC I will probably look for things that is WRONG than what is Right. Bad business Practice. Hire more People in Reservations and get your damn website up and running correctly. Like getting a new Server???

Original review: March 22, 2018

We booked a 7 night cruise on MSC Seaside departing Miami on 3/31 through Vacationstogo.com. V2G sent the email for web confirmation. Gathered all the documents needed. Logged in today to enter mine, my girlfriend's, and our kids' info. First, MSC's website, though it looks nice at first, is really janky. It pauses and freezes a lot, and seems to have trouble saving the entered info correctly. Once I did get everything they asked for entered, I went to look at package add ons and excursions...

Immediately I'm met with a pop up stating that "my booking is missing mandatory information, please contact my travel agent or call MSC at 877-665-4655". So I called. At the moment I'm still on hold. I've been on hold 1 hour and 12 minutes at this point... It's currently 8:00 pm EST. MSC is supposedly open til 9 pm, so this is not after hours. This is unacceptable after just paying over $2100 USD in full for a cruise. This line is new to the Caribbean, and this ship looks really nice... But I've never had any issues like this with Carnival.

Original review: March 13, 2018

MSC South Africa canceled a cruise on the 9th April. I could not fit in with subsequent cruises and requested a refund. I have been dealing with this problem since the beginning of February unsuccessfully. Client Services arrange the refund but do not talk to clients, I find it amazing that a client service department do not deal with clients. The call centre are not able to resolve my query and not able to transfer my call to client services. I have run out of patience. My star rating is 0.

Original review: March 5, 2018

My husband and I booked a cruise and had to cancel due to a family issue. We canceled well within the guidelines for a full refund. The online cancellation failed. I contacted customer service and they canceled for me. Then the fun began. That was January 7th and it is now March 5th. I have contacted customer service multiple times. Was assured multiple times that the checks were cut and mailed. To date I still have not received my refund. I am typing this as I am on hold with them for the 12th time and still have not received the refund. Every contact I was given "no longer works with the company". The resolutions department I was working with "no longer exists". This is the most ridiculous and frustrating experience I have ever had with a cruise line or any travel company quite honestly. Be careful before you give them your money - the assurances they give you that an emergency will be handled with care are false in my experience. Traveler beware.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Boarding took a really long time. Upon getting on the ship it was beautiful. Once in the ship this ship was noted to have a lot of rules. We purchased two ultimate drink packages. Before each drink they took our card first knowing we had the ultimate drink packages. You could not bring a drink near the Jacuzzi or the pool. I did not like that rule. On the boat in the evening all of the chairs were tied down not allowing access to use them. You had to go the reception for everything. No. ATM that give American dollars on board. I would not recommend the MSC Divina. Too many rules. Need to lighten up more entertainment while at sea music is much needed.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

We went on a cruise in September 2017 on the MSC Preziosa from Southampton to Zeebrugge/Germany/Amsterdam & France, beautiful ship but that is where it ended. My mother and I were going to travel with my brother and sister in law but unfortunately my brother suffered a heart attack before sailing and could not go. I had ordered an anniversary package for them to celebrate their wedding anniversary but had to cancel due to his illness. It took me until January to get the refund after many emails back and forth. That was only a small part of my complaint, the ship sailed late every single time, up to 4 hours on the very first day, consequently, we had much reduced times at all our destinations.

Getting off and on at each destination took much longer than on other cruises we have been on because there were new passengers at every port and passengers leaving at every port, more like a ferry service and that was not sold to us like that, we were not aware that passengers changed every couple days. Surely part of any holiday is getting to meet new people but you can't get to know anyone if the faces change every day or two. The staff were very unhelpful, especially those on the reception and travel desks, when we queued to get any information they behaved as if we were wasting their time, they would say things like "it's in the paper you get through the door."

I asked on one occasion how long was the walk to the shops from the drop off point as my mother cannot walk far and I needed to determine if I would need to get a wheelchair but the lady I asked didnt know and didnt want to try to advise me, again just saying "it's in the paper" which it wasn't as this was not a planned stop due to bad weather changing where we could sail, we didnt get to Amsterdam or France due to bad weather. The only happy helpful person was the chap that cleaned our room every day although he forgot to replenish the tea/coffee most days. The buffets were OK but not the standard we had on other cruise liners, usually the food is displayed spectacularly but not so on this ship and on a couple of days the food in the restaurant was very poor and was sent back.

On a couple of occasions there were Day Trippers, these were people allowed on the ship so they could use the facilities whilst docked for the day, obviously this meant that everything was much more crowded. We went to 4 of the shows in the theatre and only 1 was excellent and he was a visiting comedian. The other shows were not good, they were very similar. Only the clothes they wore was different from show to show but the dance routines were same. There was a Sinatra evening but the singers sang more Dean Martin and other peoples songs, only a couple of Sinatra.

When it came to us docking on our last day, once again we were very late and were stood in queues for a very long time, many people upset because they were missing their connections and again because the ship set sail late. The whole experience has been terrible and if it wasnt for the fact we have travelled with other cruise companies it would certainly put us off a cruise in the future but actually it has only put us off ever traveling again with MSC. The response we have had from the Company since has been the same we found their staff on the ship, they just dont care. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

We recently went on a Mediterranean Xmas cruise on the MSC Orchestra. The ship was clean BUT the food was nearly always cold or Lukewarm or undercooked. The service was very unacceptable and slow sometimes waiting 40 to 50 minutes between courses. And on disembarking the ship in Barcelona we discovered our new suitcase lock had been damaged. Having complained to MSC headquarters we were offered a 10% voucher on another cruise from hell. No way. Booked with Cruise118.com.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

We traveled on Divina for the first time in September of 2016. We had a fantastic time! I promoted the cruise to others and this year on 10/14/17, I was able to talk my family into making this cruise with us. Total of 10 of us. WHAT A DISASTER OF A CRUISE! Never will any of us cruise again with MSC. We are all experienced cruisers. My husband and I have been on 35+ cruises and never this disappointing. There were no walk-in stairs into the pools. The Cabin steward was never to be found. Never introduced himself. Most of the time forgot to bring us what we needed. The ship kept running out of things!

Food and booze? Like cream, butter, salad dressing, Bailey's Irish cream, and the food that we did have wasn't appetizing and of poor quality, Since when do you not have Shrimp cocktail or lobster tail to serve on a cruise ship main dining room? Unless you wanted to pay extra. Well I might as well go for the specialty dining. Maybe their waiters and busboys would smile and not be overworked. It would take two to two and a half hours for COLD food. At this point we were always running into the next group of dinners. Birthdays??? We had two. Confirmed when I made the reservations. Confirmed with our waiter, twice! The public washrooms were ALWAYS out of toilet paper and dirty. I learned to carry my own paper around. Our cabin smelled moldy and the shower smelled like urine.

Now try and find the cabin person. We received no gift for being a gold member. That fruit bowl consisted of a luncheon plate with five piece of fruit. One overripe banana, a small bunch of grapes {overripe} and three green oranges, at least I think they were oranges! And that’s all we received for the eight days. ONE PLATE! Last but not least, I purchased an Invicta watch the night before we disembarked. Needless to say, the watch was broken and I had to send it back to the factory at the charge of $28.00 for the warranty after paying $200.00 for a watch that I decided I don't care for after all. Where can I return it? Never again!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Just got back from a 7 day Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona Spain with 6 family members, one including a toddler that is almost 3 yrs old! Well after paying top notch prices for the cruise, we were told after we got there that we had only 1 1/2 hours a day for daycare because she was under 3 yrs of age, we even offered to pay extra. When you're on a cruise you want child care. We’ve cruised with Royal Caribbean several times and this was never an issue, the food on a cruise is usually spectacular but the food on this ship was not good any day we were there! But I️ will say we stayed in the Yacht Club and the staff was amazing. Will I cruise this ship again? NO!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

MSC Sinfonia 30/10/2017 - Durban based MSC reservationist treated us as criminals because we queried our account, and excursions reception treated us like brain-dead humans, communication is not easy even in English. I will make sure that I will tell everyone we know that they must rethink before using MSC for a honeymoon cruise. Hygiene and the food is not up to standard, Housekeeping, entertainment and the Suite/ balcony on 10th level is the one and only good memories we had. Please read term and conditions very carefully. Nothing is for free!!! First and last time ever on MSC!!!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I thought it best to list each issue we had throughout the week on MSC Divina... We have cruised for years but this was the worst. Beautiful ship let down by the service and food. There are some positives at the end. NEGATIVES: Poor check in organisation as no obvious route initially for Aurea guests. Bought internet package and two dining experiences online beforehand and they didn't transfer through - so spent a long time at wifi desk. Internet packages not very well described so ended up buying most expensive when all I needed was cheaper one. Still not sure if been charged. Why offer if they don't work? Arrived on ship and went to book two restaurants Italia and Steakhouse. Booked via phone in Italia. Found out on first visit to Italia that they had no booking for us and our dining package didn't transfer over. We walked out as they wouldn't honour it, despite it being their error.

Cabin was dirty on wardrobe side mirrors and under minibar. Never was properly cleaned and eventually head housekeeper came and it was done again on penultimate day. Bathroom always had a faint smell of stale urine and they had a diffuser in it to hide smell. Main dining room service very slow and why did they insist on taking all of the orders including dessert at start? Buffet was very repetitive and always less choice in evening and overtaken by crew some evenings, who just got in passengers way. Pizza and Burgers -??? After buying another dining package in Galaxy disco restaurant they then proceeded to charge our accounts following our Second visit to the Steakhouse.

Cabin steward failed to leave pool towels every time and on two occasions I went to towel exchange to get one, it was a battle to get another. On last evening went to guest services to complain about additional Steakhouse charges and was kept waiting for 90 minutes as they said they didn't have authority to remove charges as they had to be done by Restaurant. Generally staff at higher levels were very rude. Officers and managers would stand on phones or stand chatting in the buffet or in public areas and not move. Our cabin steward was not a happy guy and his English was poor.

POSITIVES: Food and Service in Galaxy disco was excellent. Cafe Italia on Deck 6 was great service especially the happy Filipino waiter that worked evenings and his Indian colleague who knew me by name. Staff in Mercurio Pool Bar were great and gave swift service. Loved canned drinks and not fountain. Fairly relaxed drink package rules. Ship generally was beautiful. Gestures with apologies were good, albeit too late to change my mind about MSC experience.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

MSC CRUISES MUSICA & MERAVIGLIA - although both of these ships are beautiful... these were the two WORST cruise experiences of my 27 years as a travel agent and leading groups around the world. I had a group with me on these two cruises, back to back in Europe this July and August and I must say that we as AMERICANS were treated like trash.

The personnel wanted nothing to do with us, they only wanted to assist the European trade and told us the way that they were running their ships in Europe was the "EUROPEAN WAY!" This was ridiculous as I have traveled for years around the globe and never received such horrid treatment. They nickel and dimed us to death. Pay for water, tea and coffee for dinner in the dining room with dinner? ABSURD! The food was served COLD without any taste. The buffet line food was the same day after day and the buffet area was so dirty. People would drop and spill food items on the floor and the crew would never clean it up. What a pig sty. GROSS!

The stateroom attendants did as little as possible. I would leave a note day after day for my attendant to take away the used glassware and day after day it was left there with new glasses added. After 5 days and approx. 20 glasses piled up in my room, I asked the Head of Housekeeping to come to my room, which he did. I told him about this and he advised that the attendants are advised that they should not take away and glassware as people get upset if you take their glasses away. I went crazy. I told him that I have been leaving notes to take them away... I did not want dirty glasses left in my room.

The beverage tickets... another crazy system by this ridiculous system. One day one bar accepts the coupons for certain brands and in certain bars and the next day they don't. It seems that no one knows what the next one is doing. The staff do not all speak the same language of the cruise ship... they are apparently making their own rules along the way.

On Meraviglia the Cirque shows are supposedly FREE but they charge a cover charge for Cocktails (1 drop of horrid champagne and a bite or two of potato chips at your seat). So they are really charging for your seat. Don't be fooled... this is Cirque but NOT at its finest. NO WAY! I have had problems with broken luggage with one of my clients since August on arrival with our second cruise and it has yet to be addressed. I write to the person that I told handles this issue and she does not respond and it is now 3 months later and nowhere to turn. This is the most OVERRATED and OVERPRICED cruise line... They should return to SHIPPING CONTAINERS and not CRUISE PASSENGERS because it is apparent they do not know how to deal with living and breathing beings. What a disgrace!!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I book last week MSC cruise with cruise web company for my next vacation for my family. 2 adult 2 child. They told me the child is free according to MSC And I will pay deposit 100 usd pp so I accept. Then I discovered that they deduct 400 usd from my credit card as they took deposit for 4 passenger including the free child. How come I pay deposit for free passenger. And when I ask to cancel the cruise for this they will deduct 15% despite I want to cancel for this behavior only. Really cruise web. Bad customer service. Is anyone suffer as my case from them.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I just returned from my first cruise on the MSC Divinia ship with an itinerary that was completely re-routed due to Hurricane Irma and Maria. The course of the ship was to be expected but the service and food was not impressive to say the least. I have cruised a total of 18 times on several cruise lines and this was my first and last on MSC. The ship is beautiful and the sailing was smooth but if you want to eat other things than pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers and beans then don't sail on MSC. Many things were disappointing.

We go on a cruise and prefer to relax and not dress up to dine, other cruises this was never an issue. The Buffet was always as good as sit down dining and the service for the buffet and pool etc was always above and beyond, not the case on MSC. My husband, friend and I ate in the buffet three times a day and not one time was our dish ever taken ever asked if we needed a drink or even have a nice assortment of food. Every day was the same thing, who knew that Egg Plant could be served in 7 different dishes and put on sandwiches even.

Oh if you like McDonald's then you might enjoy the food on the ship but pizza gets old. Never during the entire week was the buffet open during the hours they said, heaven sakes don't ask for anything either, I asked for potatoes three morning out of seven and I was told they were coming. Waited for 5 minutes, walked away then they took the description sign down. The entertainment was good but not exceptional, the staff was rude and not courteous to any needs. Now as far as the bar service at the pool, the only way you could get waited on was to find someone and stick with the same person all week. We had an excellent guy wait on us at the pool (Julius) from the Philippines.

If it wasn't for him the entire trip would have been horrible. On our first day there we didn't even get pool towels in our room. We had to ask for them so we would have them the next day. Every day we were asking for something in our cabin even as far as toilet paper. Our beds were made but the sheets never changed, no chocolate on the pillows or origami towels, or the bedspread even put on during the day. It never left the closet. Well to top it all off the night before we are to leave, I have always gotten my luggage tags, customs papers, directions on approx. time we are to leave the cabin and what time to put bags out.

Not on MSC. I get a pound on my cabin door at 12:00 am to put my bag in the hall now!!! I call reception and ask why I was not given any directions or newsletter and that the TV said bags were to be out by 2:00 am. I get "oh sorry. No they need to be out now and just be in the theater at 7:45 am to get off the ship." Never again will I sail on MSC. It is definitely not for me. You can decide...

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Went on the MSC Divina 8/5-8/12/17. The food was mediocre at best as was the service. Asked our Porter for Ice in our room every night, never happened. Drinks at early dinner always showed up more than 1/2 way into dinner. Food selections eh... I have cruised 2 times before, once on Carnival and the overall experience on Carnival was much better. Ship decks not cleaned, walked deck at night to watch sunset and used glasses and dishes everywhere. Not romantic. Had pictures taken on Gala night 2 and over 142 pictures were lost from that particular camera? Also tried to cancel one of our guests due to a very unusual family emergency and was not even given any consideration or offer of a credit of any kind. Very poor customer service. Will never cruise with MSC again.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

We booked a 27 day Mediterranean Cruise starting on the 25th of June till the 9th of July. First Ship: MSC Meraviglia. Second Ship: MSC Musica. Both ships were clean and tidy. Waiters and Cabin attendants very good but that's where everything stops. Kitchen/Food as bad as it gets! Cold or just hand warm. Every day the same menus and taste on both ships. Pizzas slices (10 to 12 per Pizza) had topping on maybe 4 to 5! Green salad and a few bread cubes is called a "Ceaser salad." That's an insult. What does the Michelin decorated Chef say (he gives his name to be used) to such cooking, Unripe Kiwifruit were up in the fruit section too. Crispy Breakfast bacon had the rind on until you have taken it off the bacon was in pieces on the floor.

On the pool deck the music was loud at all times and the entertainers wrecked the relaxing time altogether. We were glad getting off the ships. This is SUBSTANDARD at its best. To top it off, we cannot access the MSC Review site (no problem with the MSC Booking sites). A not happy customer. Never again, Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

As I'm writing this complaint my family is on the MSC Divine now. My family always cruise with Disney and because we wanted something different this year we booked MSC Divine Yacht Club with butler service. What a big mistake! Even though they advertised 24 hour attentive butler service and promised for at least 20 hours of personalized service it's nothing but a joke. Maybe butler is already tired from serving other guests. He is very very rude. Like if you called him he'd give you the face like "what now?". All the other staffs are same nothing but rude, rude, rude.

Last night a passenger had to carried away by helicopter and not a word from captain. They wouldn't let us open the curtain of restaurant because they don't want us to see helicopter. Foods come out late, concierge desk wouldn't honor our on board credit from Expedia. Now I never why Disney cruise is rated #1 even though it's expensive.

Original review: July 30, 2017

We went on the Divina in July 2017. Absolutely the worst staff work for MSC. They're very rude and seem miserable even being there. The food is just okay. The buffet is very crazy and too packed, not enough tables and totally disorganized. But the staff are what completely ruined it for me and my family. Highly disappointed!!

Original review: July 11, 2017

First time travels on MSC Cruise line, it's real bad bad bad, I been on different lines like Royal Caribbean, Celebrities and Princess. Staff are unfriendly, guest relations are bad, food is bad. All paid restaurant are expensive and bad service. Overall experience is bad and I will not ever consider MSC cruises to anyone. If you don't believe me try it and you will know.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I am currently sitting outside, in a campsite looking at the MSC Fantasia approximately 800 yards away. I am watching exhaust fumes coming from the funnels. The smell is terrible. I have a tickle at the back of my throat that I haven't had before whilst being here, as does my wife, and this is down to the exhaust pollution coming from your ship. Please STOP it. Then advise of what action you have taken please. Thanks.

Original review: June 19, 2017

MSC Divina Cruise from Miami to St. Martin, P.R, and Bahamas: We had a group of 8 people, including six adults and two small children (ages 5 & 2). Our entire experience could not have been better. The ship was wonderful, clean, smooth, and well-equipped. The Staff was extraordinary, from the wait staff, to the housekeeping staff, reception, entertainment, support and services... All superb! This was our second MSC cruise (the first was Venice to Turkey and Greece and Slovenia) and we will recommend MSC to everyone and plan to take our next cruise with MSC as well. Great food, great service, great attitudes from the MSC staff from ship captain to room attendants and waiters (Loreto!!! She deserves a BIG PROMOTION!!! She works in the Black Crab Restaurant on the MSC DIVINA). We had a wonderful total trip... Young kids and all. See you soon MSC... We hope.

Original review: June 17, 2017

We embarked on the Maiden Voyage of the ship from Genoa and the whole trip was a disaster. One of us left the ship early in Marseille because was so disgusted with the whole experience. The staff are totally incompetent, there is no lack of direction from management and angry passengers are left to their own devices; we are all treated as a nuisance rather than as guests. Guest Relations is impossible to get hold of, I managed to approach them only once at 2 am since there has been queues all week. Rudeness is the norm.

The dinner system is horrific, we nicknamed the entrance to the restaurants "Halls of Horror" because of the queues to obtain a table: between 1h and 1h 30minutes to be seated (after staying every night in a never ending queue), then 2 more hours to finish a meal. No less than 3 hours for the experience. Disembarking in Barcelona took almost 1h and 40minutes; there were scenes of angry passengers all over the place.

This was not a holiday, it was simply a battle to survive a whole week. Considering I chose MSC for my mum's 70th birthday, which has been ruined, I would not recommend this experience to my worse enemy. To top it all off, every single receipt was wrong due to "mistakes" being added in each bill for items never consumed. When we picked this up, not even an apology but it was - of course - a problem with their new system... Don't book Meraviglia unless you are prepared to spend a whole week queueing, struggling and getting totally exhausted. We paid around €10.000 for 4 passengers, it feels as if it was money thrown under the drain.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I booked this cruise with the help of an iCruise rep as it was impossible to speak with a rep from the cruise line (This should have been a red flag) but I went ahead because it was a last minute decision and this was the only cruise I could find at such short notice. So we boarded the ship on May 6th at Miami port very excited and ready for our 7 nights of fun. Needless to say this was short lived!!!! First our luggage took about 6 hours after boarding to arrive at our stateroom. We gave them the benefit of the doubt and decided we were going to have a drink. First bar on deck 14 our 2 drinks cost $13.00, second bar the same 2 drinks cost $18.00 and I was also charged for a bottle of water after being given tap water in a glass. At this point I am livid!!!

Bar associate Thomas speak little to no English, acted as if I did not know how to read, very rude and disrespectful, did not offer me an apology (Until his manager arrived) I requested to speak to his manager who was very nice and he took care of the situation immediately. Entertainment was lousy (A big screen on the pool deck that played Beyonce and other old videos), entertainment had no variety!!! Policy not enforced regarding Lounge chairs with towels reserved that were not in use all day. The grand finale was being woken up at 6:15 a.m. When we arrived back in Miami by a loud banging on our door. The voice on the other end stated U.S. Customs and border patrol. When I opened the door I was shocked to see a crew member dressed in black (No good morning or apologies for the disturbance, in fact he was having an awesome conversation in a language we did not recognize with these agents 5 in total and one had a very big dog).

We were asked to step in the hallway as our cabin was selected for a random search. We were also asked if there was a million dollars or anything in the room if it belonged to us. Then the interrogation continued what is your name? What is your address? Where do you work? Where did the ship dock etc. At this point I was really upset because I know they have all this info before the ship leaves Miami. Adding insult to injury with us in the hallway surrounded by these agents other passengers started coming out in the hallway staring at us as if we were some sort of criminal. When the agents were done with their search our belongings were all thrown around and items misplaced. On this ship racial profile is definitely an issue. And we felt this from the moment we got on. I have yet to receive an apology from MSC Divina and I am moving forward with my attorney to get my issues resolved.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Dinner seating was changed by 1 hour leaving 930 too late. Embarking was left too late. Our flight was from Rome for 1115 and we were left sitting on bus until 930. By time we got to Airport we had to run and 11 o'clock I had to ask to be rushed through security to make the plane. Didn't get to look at Duty free. There were around 50 Irish and we all should have been together on 1 bus instead of been with all other transfers. Some didn't have morning flights. Very disappointed after having a lovely holiday.

MSC Cruise Lines Company Information

www.msccruisesusa.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business