3.20/5

153 MSC Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 13, 2019

Me and my husband planned for a cruise vacation for the first time with MSC Armonia to Cuba and Caribbean. We have booked the suite room with aura experience. The cabin design is really bad and the service too. Our room has balcony which was not designed good. The balcony metal divider fall down on my husband head and he got hurt on his head plus his Apple mobile broken because of that accident. After paying so much we got a room like this and the customer service and supervisor with the cruise director all were not bothered about this accident. We spoke to them personally and they said we can give you a another room. That’s it.

They told my husband Dr said, "You are good so not to worry." They not even apologize to us. Not even given us any credit because of their cruise cabin design what we suffered. Cruise director and the head supervisor told us, "We will give you the credit for the mobile which broken because this accident," but they lie to us. We didn’t got any money to repair my mobile nor customer service get back to us for this accident. I won't suggest anyone for this cruise. They don’t care if their customer even die.

Original review: May 8, 2019

The drink package changed in price from $127 per person to $400 per person. Also you must pay same price for all people in your room even if they do not drink. Their reasoning was fraud. I find it hard to believe any fraud justifies the price increase. It all seems very shady to me and I haven’t e en taken my cruise yet. Not looking forward to it at all. Talked to several representatives who all gave conflicting messages and at one point said they could not take care of us since we used travel agent.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I see all the negative reviews posted here and I heard the same from a young couple, friends of ours, we spent the day with after they finished an MSC cruise to the Caribbean. Packed ship, low crew to passenger ratio, mediocre food, long lines and waits to eat, smelly cabins, etc. Since we met them 2 years ago on a Holland America Line cruise, I asked them what they were expecting when they booked on a cheap line like MSC, after having a high end cruise on HAL. They admitted it was to save $ and a mistake they wouldn't repeat.

Bottom line, people, you get what you pay for. If you want great service, timeliness and top notch everything, you need to book on HAL, Celebrity or a similar high end line. If you book on MSC, Carnival or similar operators, you're gonna be piled in with the rowdy, loud, hard drinking, party-all-night, loser rabble who can't afford the better cruises and know they'd get booted at the next port for their hooligan antics if they were on a reputable cruise line.

Original review: April 30, 2019

My husband and I sailed on the MSC Seaview cruise in the Western Mediterranean from April 17 to 24, 2019. We have enjoyed dozens of cruises around the world on other cruise lines. This was our first time with MSC Cruises, and by far, it was the absolute worst cruise we have ever been on. First, upon walking into our ocean view cabin (#5171) on the first day of the cruise, we were assaulted by the stench of the foulest sewer smell imaginable. The smell was inescapable - it permeated every corner of the room, it was on every piece of furniture, on the bedding, in the carpet, on the towels, it was everywhere. We reported this problem to customer service right away, but we were told there was nothing they could do, the ship was fully booked.

We had to live with this stench for the entire length of our cruise. The cabin had no windows or doors that could be opened to bring in fresh air. It became a serious health hazard for me. I developed migraines, I was severely nauseated, I vomited several times. My husband and I could not breathe at night and we could not sleep. Every day we reported this situation to customer service and each time we were told they could not do anything. On the fifth day on our seven-day cruise, a customer service supervisor used a chemical spray in the bathroom, which did nothing to get rid of the sewer stench. It only added a strong chemical smell on top of the awful sewer stench and it worsened my already poor health.

Second, MSC Seaview was woefully understaffed. With over five thousand passengers, the ship only had two customer service counters and a maximum of six staffers handling customer service requests. This created unbelievably long queues at the customer service counters and a lot of frustration among the passengers.

Third, we have never been on a ship that charged its passengers for drinking water during dinner or forced its passengers to buy bottled water. I understand charging customers for alcoholic drinks, but to treat drinking water like a luxury amenity on a cruise is beyond ridiculous. We have never encountered such a "nickel and dime" company such as MSC Cruises.

Fourth, for a ship that bills itself as "one the most innovative cruise ships touring the world," we found the onboard dining experience exceptionally subpar. At every meal, the food seemed to be jumbled together with no thought to presentation or organization. We've had better dining experience at our local McDonald's. The bottom line is, our experience onboard the MSC Seaview was the absolute worst we've ever had on a cruise. We will never recommend MSC Cruises to anyone and we will never take another MSC cruise ever again!

Original review: April 26, 2019

MSC sold one of our adjoining cabins to someone else, and management would never return calls left to try to fix this problem. One of our cabins was still booked but our other cabin was resold to someone else. When you call customer service, they told us we would need to talk to a supervisor, and he would call us back. They never do call back. I called many times and was given this same dog and pony show, until it became evident, that they don't want to deal with any problems and offer horrible customer service. If you have any issues with this company, you are in fact screwed! We will never cruise with them again, and will do everything to help others to beware of this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MSC Cruise Lines?

Original review: April 8, 2019

Just finished the cruise from Havana to Venice on MSC Opera, food and beverage experience went from very good, to poor, to inedible food being sent back to the kitchen. Terrible coffee, overcharged on drinks and specialty coffees, served drinks and food we didn’t order, warm wine that should have been cold. For some bizarre reason there are no soup spoons, only dessert spoons, no butter knife, dessert fork, fish knife but not a fish fork. Butter not on the table when you sit down to dinner. When I complained I was told it was because people high up had stopped all of this.

When I asked to speak to the Maitre De in charge of the restaurant things improved for us. On many nights we were given someone else's food. In one bar we were regularly given the wrong drinks, overcharged, given more expensive gin we didn't like and didn't ask for. We went to another bar which was fine. Coffee was poor and we often didn't drink it, food and beverage definitely let the ship down.

Original review: March 30, 2019

My husband and I just debarked this morning after a 7 day sailing and could not be more pleased. I decided to write this because we were skeptical about booking on MSC after having read some negative reviews. The Yacht Club did have quite a few positive reviews so we decided to try it. Although it’s a more expensive option, it was priced lower than the Haven on NCL and the suites on Celebrity, which we have thoroughly enjoyed in the past.

This is a European cruise line and the great majority of guests are European. Perhaps some guests are not accustomed to that and may not feel comfortable because of it. Their literature is offered in many languages and a few announcements were made in multiple languages. It appeared to us that they are striving to adapt to the North American market and did their best to accommodate all of their guests, regardless of their nationality.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Ship is beautiful, Seaside... I have cruised in the past, Royal and Carnival. First cruise for my husband, I really wanted him to be wowed. Not so much. Never met room steward, room was clean and cleaned, except on Friday when they decided to be more friendly as you may give tip them! We really felt as we were heard the whole trip. Long lines at bars 20 minutes to get a drink or longer...drinks on us, not so much, limited variety. We did get lucky a couple of times with someone to actually wait in us.

Not impressed with food, breakfast buffet was always cold, who can eat that?? On Friday we opted to go to dining room, same menu as the whole week except that it was made to order and served hot! I wish we had done that all week! Now lets talk dinner...between the two of us we had 3 dinners that were good and 1 dessert. Staff in dining room acted bothered at a minimal request and again only became friendly toward the end of the week. No lobster is served unless you pay the up charge. Even the pasta was not great, isn’t this an Italian cruise line??

Shows are pretty much the same every night, just different costumes. They should just play the music in the background and skip the bad pantomime. The singers and dancers were very talented. They should really just change it up a bit, kinda like the buffet! Unfortunately not a great experience, just really sad we had to pay for it! MSC needs to raise its bar if it wants to compete with the major cruise lines.

Original review: March 14, 2019

After 7 cruises with MSC, partially because of their monopoly in South African waters and partially because they are generally decent value, I spent 600 USD on their Premium package for my current cruise in the belief that this would prevent a recurrence of my 7 previous disappointments. No way! The stock answer to complaints about no or limited connectivity much of the time is weak satellite signal, even when docked within 100 meters of the main road in Auckland, New Zealand! Even in remote places many a cafe and bus with internet had super connectivity but MSC's Congolese or Paraguayan satellite wasn't delivering! Much of my package will remain unused through unavailability of service. Good Bye MSC until you access decent equipment with sufficient capacity to deliver what you sell.

Original review: March 3, 2019

They gave me, a returning customer who brought another couple along with us this time a room with an obstructed view and refused to change it. They upgraded our friends who had never cruised before but not us! They confiscated my two bottles of wine for our stateroom at embarkation even though my travel agent has checked and told me that this is allowed.

The free drink package they offered as an incentive to sail which vaguely offered “selected cocktails” did not include ANY of the popular cocktails you would want to drink on a Caribbean vacation!! NO Pina Colada! NO Margarita, NO Mojito, NO Captain & Coke, NO Daiquiri, NO Martini. When I complained about the obstructed view room I was given the customer service rep said they were completely sold out but would contact me after we arrived in Puerto Rico where some passengers may be debarking to see if there was another room they might transfer me into. No one ever contacted me.

I love to cruise and average two a year. My wife and I sailed on the MSC Divina in February of 2017 and had a good time, and after hearing about a special promotion which promised free drinks we decided to return to MSC for a sailing on the Seaside on February 16, 2019. The itinerary was lousy with a 5 pm docking in San Juan (no time to see a beach) and aside from that only two ports to enjoy the Caribbean sun, St. Thomas and St. Marteen. We thought the predominantly sea days would be enjoyed with food and drink.

I booked a balcony room in their “Bella” class which allows them to choose the room before sailing. My sister in-law and her boyfriend were joining us so we requested close or adjoining cabins. We also requested the main dining time of 7:15 so we could enjoy the shows and off ship excursions without fear of rushing back to eat.

Our troubles began when we received our boarding paperwork and discovered that they bumped up my sister in-law to the 15th floor Fantasia class and assigned us an obstructed view cabin on the 12th floor. I called my travel agent and MSC to complain and offered to pay for any upgrade to the same level so we could travel together and was told the ship was “completely sold out.” This was a lie as I went online and was able to book a room on the 13th floor at that level with no problem... If I completed the online booking. I was told I could go to customer service once on board and request a room change.

We arrived for embarkation on Saturday Feb. 16th when the problems continued. Despite my travel agent confirming beforehand that passengers were permitted to bring two bottles of wine or Champagne to consume in their room, my wine was confiscated by MSC at check-in. I was given a receipt and told the bottles would be returned to me on the last night of the cruise. When we got to our room we discovered someone else’s baggage delivered to our room with the same room number on them. I later discovered that those people were also upgraded to another room. The room we were assigned had a half balcony with the other half and 30% of our view obstructed by the ships support structure.

The pre-purchased wi-fi also didn’t work and the dinner time we were given was 5:15 pm... Even though I had requested the 7:15 seating so I headed to customer service. I spent three hours of my first day on the ship waiting in lines. This was not the cruise that I had hoped for. Customer service was ineffective and apathetic. They offered to upgrade my drink package for an additional $450.00!! They gave me the worst balcony cabin on the ship and made no effort to correct it! One night our waiter told us there was “no more Merlot” and we are only entitled to “house wine” on our drink plan which is whatever is on hand! One night a drink waiter took our drink order and never came back!

Debarkation was also a problem. The long line to leave the ship was mostly unsupervised and people were cutting into it and causing arguments. Even though my credit card was run and I signed documents to allow MSC to bill my expenses to the card, I was pulled off the long line and made to wait on another line for them to again run my credit card! Being a frequent cruiser, my email is full of cruise company offerings every single day. I will be deleting MSC offerings because of the way they treated this returning guest!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

My wife and I returned yesterday from a 7 night cruise on the MSC Armonia to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Havana, Cuba. We booked the cruise solely because of the visit to Cuba. Our experience with MSC began at embarkation. I had received information in the pre-cruise packet sent to me electronically by MSC that our assigned embarkation time was 4:15. Having taken more than 20 cruises in the past, I knew that it would likely be possible for us to embark earlier than our assigned time, but I decided to follow the instructions I had been given and arrive at the assigned time. When we arrived at 4:00, there was nobody to be seen in the passenger loading zone. Nobody!

I dropped my wife off with the luggage and drove to the parking garage. When I returned, I managed to get our two suitcases up the ramp to the check-in desk. As I did so, I passed numerous MSC employees, and not one of them offered to assist us. Some of them even appeared to walk away as they saw us approaching. When I got to the desk, I showed the agent my printed information showing that our assigned embarkation time was 4:15, however, the only response I received was "Sorry sir. Everyone has gone on board. I explained that I am a cardiac patient having had two triple bypass surgeries in the past 13 years and requested assistance with the luggage. I was told that there was nobody to assist me and that I could "go slowly onto the ship."

Twenty minutes after we boarded the ship, the Captain announced that the safety drill would commence and that sailing would occur immediately after that. Once the ship was underway, I went to Guest Services to discuss the issue I had with the embarkation process. All I received for a response was that I must have misunderstood the information sent to me. When I showed the agent there the printed copy of what I had received, his response was to shrug and tell me that he did not know what to say.

The Armonia is MSC's smallest ship. It is relatively well appointed and generally clean. Getting around on the ship is simple enough. I will attempt to outline some of the most notable aspects of the ship which affected our cruise experience. The room stewards did not approach us upon embarkation and introduce themselves as we have become accustomed to having happen on cruises we have taken. In, fact, we did not even learn who our steward was until the second day of the cruise when we happened upon him in the hallway. His English skills were very limited, and communication with him was virtually impossible. He did do a satisfactory job of keeping the room clean throughout the cruise.

The room was about average size for a cruise line. The bed was very comfortable, and there were several movie channels playing for down times (and there was a lot of that). The shower, however, was another matter. It was incredibly small. My wife and I are not large people, but there was no room to even turn around in the shower without going out of the shower area. I cannot imagine how anyone of any height or size could manipulate that tiny area.

The food on the Armonia was unremarkable in any aspect. The dining room food was of good quality generally speaking, but there was nothing about it that would cause one to say, "Wow!" Our server, however, was, without question, the most efficient and capable server we have experienced on a cruise to date. His name was Islambahd, and he came from India. I would recommend him without reservation. The buffet on Deck 11 was like a feeding trough. Food selections were poor, and the quality was not up to standard. We went there for one breakfast and did not return.

The general demeanor of ship employees was sullen. When asked a question, it was not unusual for them to stare blankly at the person asking that question, and a response might or might not be received. I did appear that many of the ship staff were lacking in English skills. Theater shows were, again, not up to standards which we have viewed on other ships on which we have cruised. Several of the singers had such heavy accents that their words were unintelligible when they sang songs which were somewhat recognizable as English songs.

Virtually everyone with whom my wife and I had conversation took this cruise due to the two day stop in Havana, Cuba. The excursions offered by the cruise line were enjoyable, however, they could have been booked much less expensively through an independent contractor. However, MSC had, in its cruise information stated that excursions must be booked through the ship due to agreements between the Cuban and US governments. We can say, however, that we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Havana. Finally, I should mention the casino. I enjoy gambling and often do so on cruise ships as our state prohibits any kind of casino activities. The Armonia's casino is tiny, a bit larger than the room showers, but only barely.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We took the Armania from Miami to Cuba & Mexico a couple of weeks ago. The food was the only good part. We were supposed to go to Jamaica but the capt. said he feared weather so we didn't which left us with an extra day at sea. The bathroom was a total disaster to shower in with the curtain up your ** constantly. The floor in the bathroom had mold or mildew (or something black) & dirt in every corner. The ship's officers were arrogant ** that totally ignored all but one of our requests. We had reserved a table in the dining room & then had to fight the staff for it. The food & drink staff had no managers so they did as little as they pleased. Tables weren't cleared so we cleared & wiped our own. On the last night aboard, maintenance was on our deck near our room doing something that involved cutting, grinding, & hammering metal all night. NEVER MSC AGAIN!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I found the food inedible. Overcooked, very poor quality. With MSC it’s only about the bottom line. They do not care about their passengers - only saving money and making money. Any other cruise line is better.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The only cruise line or travel entity I have ever seen that will not allow a foreign credit card to pay the trip online or by phone. No PayPal either. I was told because they have to wait too long for the processing. That is not true. I can go to Walmart with my AmEx or Visa from France and they get their money right away. That is the business. Get in another line of work. I had to cancel the booking. My wife was heartbroken. Rotten administrative management decision. Any airline, any ship or hotel will take a foreign Visa or AmEx. How stupid. They really need a change of management.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We booked drinks package up to 6 EUR. While on board most drinks are 6 10 or 6.20. If you order one of these drinks you have to pay the full amount not the difference. Other cruise lines offer cheaper brands to fall into your drinks package category or charge the difference. MSC in my opinion are being very petty and unfair to their customers. We are a party of four not big drinkers and one doesn't drink alcohol at all.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

This is my second MSC cruise. Last year we took a Caribbean cruise with them and we were traveling with 6 people. Trying to get things coordinated on the phone with MSC staff was a nightmare. The customer service reps are rude and appear to be untrained. Same problem this year. The phone staff are uninformed, rude, and act as if your calling for advice is a huge inconvenience for them. They need to hire staff with people skills who genuinely want to help customers navigate through the process. I will stick to Royal Caribbean and Carnival from now on just to hear a helpful friendly voice on the other end.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I would just like to bring this to the attention of MSC Musica that the way they conduct their business is unethical. These people do serious false advertising. When you buy your ticket, they promise you that you will go to 2 islands Portuguese and Pomene Island but it turns out they only go to one all the time. Apparently, the story is always the same that the weather is bad yet when you look outside nothing is wrong with the weather. We already had heard the day before from those with experience that we will not be going to any Pomene Island as it is standard that they will claim bad weather.

My assumption from my assessment is that they are saving costs by not taking people out to the island and secondly it's more money coming in for them because the guests will be detained inside the Ship for 2 full days with no entertainment and there is not much happening on the Ship except their super expensive bars. People are forced to go spend and trust me people spend, and things are very expensive in there. The only thing they do for you is keep their buffet open the whole day where they are feeding people junk of burgers, chips and pizzas, people are not there for food but wonderful experiences promised to come with the cruise.

The disturbing thing is that when you ask around people tell you that actually that ship only goes to Portuguese Island which makes me wonder if this so called Pomene Island even exists. I was so disappointed, and this is actually fraud because it is false advertising promising people things that you know fully well you will not deliver on. I paid for a cruise to 2 Islands I got one am I not then entitled to a refund and this business of saying bad weather it was beyond their control is nonsense because the weather was beautiful. The sun was blazing. The sea was glowing and calm. Nothing was wrong with the weather. These people must be investigated they are fooling people and getting away with it and it has been going on for long as it seems.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Absolutely the worst cruise I've ever been on. Me and my mother have been cruising together since 2009 and I can honestly say in spite of the great price I would never recommend MSC nor cruise with them again. To start with when we arrived we found out after ordering a Corona and coke that yes the drinks are free with the drink package but there are surcharge fees (hidden fees) for every drink and the price for the same drinks doesn't stay the same throughout the ship. Once we got to our room (AFTER THE ANNOUNCEMENT THAT ROOMS WERE READY) the bathroom was still dirty.

In addition to all the rooms on our side being dirty or needing something our bathroom was visibly dirty with sand, a ring around the tub and no washcloths or towels in site. We found our steward who was in another room to inform him that we were going to need 4 face clothes everyday and our bathroom was dirty. More housekeepers were brought over by a man In white to help... The day went on. We went to dinner, came back room was clean and had 2 face cloths. At that time we noticed the sharps container that my mother requested weeks prior to embarking was missing. We phoned the steward to bring us one.

Day 2 midday my mother's bed fell... She is not even 200 lbs but her whole mattress fell to the floor. We let the steward know who said ok. We went to lunch, got in the whirlpool, came back, it was fixed. We had "complimentary breakfast" tags to put on the outside of the door. We filled it out, took a nap and went to dinner. We returned and while the beds had been made we had no new rags or towels for the next day even though we had asked for them.

Day 3 checked our room balance prior to getting off in Jamaica and to our surprise we had been charged $3.50 for room service. That's not complimentary if we had a fee... Only one $50 on board credit had been added to the room and they weren't sure when we'd receive the second. At this point we owed no money. Got off at the port and returned to the ship. When we returned they were painting under lifeboats 14 which happened to be right outside my balcony and they were staining the doors that lead from the buffet to the gelato on the 14th floor. I am an asthmatic so the paint and excessive fumes from solutions triggered an asthma attack.

The next morning we informed customer service who offered no apology and said they didn't know if they planned on painting again throughout our voyage. Additionally, we asked if they could have our steward leave wash cloths everyday because he hadn't been doing so. Because the service agent showed no empathy I asked for my gratuities off my room to be removed and for a print out. At that time the balance on the room was -$99.56 (meaning they owed me).

Day 4 after speaking to customer service we went to the casino, in order to play we had to add a minimum of $135 to the room which we did and played. Up until this day we had ordered drinks, gotten coffee, gelato and movies and somehow when we checked the balance not only was the $99 they owed me gone but at this point we owed them. We paid with no issue. This day was a sea day so after the casino we had lunch and went for a nap.

As soon as I laid in my bed it fell (1st time). I went down to customer service and they sent a carpenter. The day went on. At some point we returned to our cabin to find a "urgent" letter posted on our door saying we needed to come to guest services. Unsure what it was about we went down. At that time they wanted to know had my mother received her sharps container. Later on in the cruise other guest asked about the urgent letter.As you can imagine we were uncomfortable having to explain that it was nothing. I believe the notice should have been slid under the door like all the other papers were.

Day 5. This was the Aruba port but we didn't get off we stayed on to enjoy the ship but unfortunately non of the shops were open and the casino only let you play if you had cash because the machines were not recognizing room cards. Again we had breakfast, laid around, sat on the balcony, got in the whirlpool, went to lunch and had a nap. While sleeping I was awakened by the sound and feeling of the bed falling (2nd time).

Humiliated and embarrassed I waited to go to customer service but I called around 2:30pm to inform them that the bed fell again. Sitting on the balcony until 3:30pm nobody had been to the room, called again but got no answer. Went to the desk who then called a carpenter, went to the cabin to wait. 4:30pm went back to the desk to inform them that nobody had been in and I wanted it fixed before dinner so I could go to bed. After almost 4 hours the carpenter came in. I asked if he could just replace the bed but instead he added a screw in the left side of the bed saying it was missing.

Days 6-8 were better other than having to ask for wash cloths on a daily. Unfortunately Someone's toilet had overflown causing a horrible smell throughout parts of the ship which made several people vomit including my mother. Day 9 After being up all night with my mother being sick we were told that we had to be off the ship no later than 11:30am because the crew had another safety drill. We explained to the man who had on a MSC jumpsuit that my mother was not feeling well but he insisted that we had to go. Very disheartening.

Once we returned from the port we purchased 2 White Hennessy from the duty free shop on board and paid off the balance on our account. At that time we asked the agent who was helping us (Stacey), "What is the protocol if we didn't have any more money?" (knowing all we had left was money for the ports but not to cover any more surcharges for drinks). She told us we'd have to come the night before debarking to sign a declaration. Nothing more happened until the night before debarking. After dinner my face began to swell which are signs of a obvious allergic reaction. I took ** and laid down. My bed fell once again (3rd time) causing me and my mother to go to customer service. While complaining about the bed we thought it was wise to sign the declaration because we had an early flight. We were told by a supervisor there was no such thing and if we were unable to pay we'd have the sheriff called on us to deal with the situation.

At this point in addition to the humiliation I felt because the bed had fallen numerous times, we now had the added stress of missing our flight home with no money to get back and being arrested for no reason. And my face was so swollen it affected my vision and I had a soar throat. We agreed that yes we owed the money but prior to the last port we had the money. We would have just paid for the drinks and casino as we played but because we were told by the MSC customer service agent on board that we could sign the paper agreeing to pay later we thought no more of it.

After 4 hrs of trying to bargain with them and Stacey admitting that she told us about the declaration another supervisor named Victoria came to help. She sent security with us to our room to retrieve the alcohol we purchased as if we were criminals who stole it. She agreed to meet with us on debarkation day at 7am which we did. Took until 9am but we eventually signed the declaration and was able to leave with the threat that if the money was not paid in 5 days we would be arrested. All of that embarrassment, humiliation and disappointment for $147.07. No apologies for the bed repeatedly falling, no concerns for my obvious allergic reaction, no apology for causing my asthma attack but we have a bill for $147.07, the threat of being arrested and was treated as a criminal. I WOULD NEVER IN MY LIFE SAIL WITH OR RECOMMEND MSC.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

The ship was very nice and clean, almost new; however, I've never seen so poor and unpleasant customer service. The staff was very rude, food was very mediocre. I had the same breakfast and dinner every day. You will have to pay additional for many things within the ship besides drinks... And pay extra mostly every time on every port for shuttle transportation just to get you out of the port.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Worst cruise ever. Staff are rude and obnoxious. Supper was good as you sit down and served your food. Not great but expectable. Photographers very irritating and annoying, you cannot even enjoy your supper in peace. The exclusive sauna and jacuzzi area is not that at all as anyone doing a message of any kind gets in free for the day. The gentlemen controlling access is far more busy helping with bookings and will let you stand and wait forever before attending to your access. I had another cruise lined up but cancelled it when I disembarked from this cruise. MSC help desk not helpful at all in this regard. I lost my full deposit as they insisted that cruising to Mozambique is in South African waters. Threw the terms and conditions at me although it is very confusing as to what category my cancellation was in. After three mails to the call center my mail address was blocked... Unbelievable. MSC never again.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Where do I start? Embarkation was a total disaster. Had to go from one line to another. Hubby needed a wheelchair! Wait here, no go there! Finding our cabin was a challenge. Food was mediocre, service was slow but pleasant thanks to our waiter. Buffet was horrible, food was cold and very disorganized. Bar service was non existing. Pool chair lounge were nowhere unless you went at 5 a.m. Very disappointing trip. I can go on and on, smokers took over the garden pool with no respect for non smokers. Disembarkation was a total nightmare, we nearly miss our flight! Do yourself a favor, stay away from MSC Devina.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

The just returned from a two week cruise on the MSC Magnifica, have been on two other MSC cruises which were wonderful hence booking again. Currently one of the most important items on any cruise is the quality of the food. On this ship the restaurant food and service was to say the least very poor. So much so we tried the restaurant 3 times then ate in the cafeteria which not fantastic was better. Entertainment the same group of people every day just a different theme. No live music in the shows. All recorded. Not very professional. The majority of shuttle services a charge applied. Staff were the unhappiest I have met when on a cruise.

On a positive note the ship was very clean and the suite was kept in excellent condition. Shame the management of the ship have not applied themselves. From the cruise director to the head of catering they need to have a rethink on how to make a cruise special in a positive was. As one of the reception staff comments MSC are going through changes and this is the problem on board they trying to cut costs.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We were not supposed to be charged for room service and was told the money would not be charged to room. After we got home I noticed room service charges and liquor charges. (We had the Fantastica experience and also bought the upgraded drink and restaurant package). They reimbursed us for the liquor but refused to reimburse for the room service (which by the way we ordered from the "free" items). Bad customer service.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Like spending 4 days at the home affairs office. Queuing is all I did on this cruise. Waiting in line to sort out my room access card 3 times took over 1.5 hours and I missed the departing experience with my husband. Queuing to get to food. Extremely rude staff onboard MSC Musica. Queuing to get something to drink. Staff not helpful at all. If there was food it was either dry or tasted just like tinned spaghetti and tomato. One of the packages at Pomene offered a snorkeling experience with tropical fish. They took us to a canal with dead mangroves and one small dead fish beached. The end of the line for me... Excuse the pun... Was when they short paid me almost R1000 before disembarking at the end of the cruise. They sell it as a 5 day cruise but we had to stand in a queue at 5 am on the 5th day to proceed with the disembarkation procedure in Durban. I need a holiday after this trip. The worst experience in my life.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have just got off the maiden cruise of MSC Musica in South Africa. It was a disaster from start to finish and I couldn't wait to get home. My holiday turned out to be an exercise in pure frustration. We did not keep to the itinerary. When we got to Portuguese Islands we were told that there was unrest on the island - that was true. The people on the Island were rioting about MSC not political violence as told. We spent the best part of our cruise queuing for services- tender to go to Pomene 3 hours, embarkation 2 to 3 hours, cabin - 2 hours, meals at least 2 hours for 3rd rate food if there was any left - just atrocious. Luckily I was with a friend so other than the company the rest was shocking including the staff - they were mostly rude. Jack up your service - it is not acceptable to treat paying customers so badly. I have cruised before on other liners and have never had such an experience.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Having had high hopes for this ship, it was a big let down. I'll start with the positives: The ship was beautiful and clean; the restaurant service was great, our waiter was fantastic; our room attendant was friendly and kept our room nice and clean; drink package was great. Negatives: We accidentally purchased the water package twice, I know it was our fault but MSC refused to refund the money. I purchased the spa package for $160 each only to find out it only included the sauna (which wasn't unisex so my husband and I couldn't go in together) and the actual spa bath was an extra 57 Euros. I contacted MSC straight away and told them I won't be using this area at all, which I didn't and they told me that refunding the money goes against their terms and conditions and they will get back to me in 6 weeks time about it (?! 6 weeks?!). (So far about $360 wasted.)

I purchased the photo package which is great value, cost around $360 for 150 photos but most of the photos are untouched and look terrible so are unusable - they said for an extra fee they will improve them, they did however touch up the elegant night photos. Unlike other ships, you don't received the digital copies on a USB, this is also and extra fee.

My husband and I purchased a treatment from the spa, the very next day and subsequent days after, they had the very same treatment advertised 20% off, they flatly refused to give us the discount. They love to take money from you but will never help you out, it became a joke on board that if you breathe or moved it will cost you an extra 10 Euro.

Most of the staff were nice but I encountered a few who really looked like they didn't want to be there, at one point I had a coffee I ordered slammed down on the counter, way over the other side to where I was standing and another drink I had ordered wasn't made properly because he couldn't be bothered finishing it off, another girl at the cake counter wouldn't even acknowledge us standing there, couldn't even crack a smile. The restaurant food was fantastic but buffet food was exactly the same every single day for 21 days straight and my husband and another friend on board was vomiting a couple hours after eating a salmon roll.

The entertainment was terrible! And I'm not saying that lightly, it truly was mediocre, people were walking out and some even gave up going back all together. The last night we were there was the best show, I don't know why they didn't have better shows throughout the cruise. I would never pick MSC Cruises again and do not recommend it to anyone. For a great cruise experience, I would recommend either Royal Caribbean or Carnival Cruises, they go out of their way to help you, have great entertainment and the food is fantastic.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Beautiful ship, good shows, good cabin and dining room service. Worst customer service ever! This ship was made for the European market and not the American market. All of the managers need serious customer service training. “NO” was their first response to everything. The showers are very tiny and hard to maneuver in. The buffet was the worst we seen. The same food every single day. Dining room food was much better. The staff was great, but always appeared rushed and tired. Several staff told us they have zero days off, and work 12 to 14 hours a day. I would Not recommend this ship or line to anyone. Stick with Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Princess cruise line, they know how to treat paying customers.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

The Divina ship is the WORST ship I have EVER been on. NO care for their customers. They make you walk "because you are off their ship" for long distance. They don't care what the weather is. There is an empty terminal yet you have to walk in the 48 degree weather or rain because "it is not part of the ship". Customer service is the worst. I have been on this ship for 17 days with no help from anyone. Whatever you do don't raise your voice or you will receive a visit from security, More to the story but too long to get into. I am not a person who writes this type of stuff but this is the WORST experience I have and the worst part is I paid for it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

The ship was beautiful. That's the only positive comment I have. Most of the staff was incompetent, uncaring for the handicapped passengers, and/or very rude to passengers. Most passengers were complaining and remarking that they would never cruise this line again. Bar lounge entertainment was terrible. Performers in the main theater were, for the most part, talented; however, the majority of songs were in opera, and the shows were very similar. Food was average. Ice cream was only offered at one of the buffets, and you had to wait in line to be served. There were not enough bartenders. You had to go to the counter to get your own drinks and had to wait a long time to be served. Room attendant did not bring ice or clean glasses. She would take the dirty towels, etc.; but would not always replace them. There were times I did not have a washcloth. NO MORE MSC FOR ME!!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My granddaughter and myself did a Baltic cruise in August. My sister died on the fifth day. Very upset my granddaughter went to reception and asked for help in booking flights home, she was told they could not help. She would have to go on the internet and do it herself. They then charged us 20 euro for using it. Service was bad all round apart from cabin crew, set dinner times were mostly late, food not good, not enough staff. We have cruised before and were very happy with it.

We will never again go with MSC.

MSC Cruise Lines Company Information