1.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

143 MSC Cruise Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

My wife and I returned yesterday from a 7 night cruise on the MSC Armonia to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Havana, Cuba. We booked the cruise solely because of the visit to Cuba. Our experience with MSC began at embarkation. I had received information in the pre-cruise packet sent to me electronically by MSC that our assigned embarkation time was 4:15. Having taken more than 20 cruises in the past, I knew that it would likely be possible for us to embark earlier than our assigned time, but I decided to follow the instructions I had been given and arrive at the assigned time. When we arrived at 4:00, there was nobody to be seen in the passenger loading zone. Nobody!

I dropped my wife off with the luggage and drove to the parking garage. When I returned, I managed to get our two suitcases up the ramp to the check-in desk. As I did so, I passed numerous MSC employees, and not one of them offered to assist us. Some of them even appeared to walk away as they saw us approaching. When I got to the desk, I showed the agent my printed information showing that our assigned embarkation time was 4:15, however, the only response I received was "Sorry sir. Everyone has gone on board. I explained that I am a cardiac patient having had two triple bypass surgeries in the past 13 years and requested assistance with the luggage. I was told that there was nobody to assist me and that I could "go slowly onto the ship."

Twenty minutes after we boarded the ship, the Captain announced that the safety drill would commence and that sailing would occur immediately after that. Once the ship was underway, I went to Guest Services to discuss the issue I had with the embarkation process. All I received for a response was that I must have misunderstood the information sent to me. When I showed the agent there the printed copy of what I had received, his response was to shrug and tell me that he did not know what to say.

The Armonia is MSC's smallest ship. It is relatively well appointed and generally clean. Getting around on the ship is simple enough. I will attempt to outline some of the most notable aspects of the ship which affected our cruise experience. The room stewards did not approach us upon embarkation and introduce themselves as we have become accustomed to having happen on cruises we have taken. In, fact, we did not even learn who our steward was until the second day of the cruise when we happened upon him in the hallway. His English skills were very limited, and communication with him was virtually impossible. He did do a satisfactory job of keeping the room clean throughout the cruise.

The room was about average size for a cruise line. The bed was very comfortable, and there were several movie channels playing for down times (and there was a lot of that). The shower, however, was another matter. It was incredibly small. My wife and I are not large people, but there was no room to even turn around in the shower without going out of the shower area. I cannot imagine how anyone of any height or size could manipulate that tiny area.

The food on the Armonia was unremarkable in any aspect. The dining room food was of good quality generally speaking, but there was nothing about it that would cause one to say, "Wow!" Our server, however, was, without question, the most efficient and capable server we have experienced on a cruise to date. His name was Islambahd, and he came from India. I would recommend him without reservation. The buffet on Deck 11 was like a feeding trough. Food selections were poor, and the quality was not up to standard. We went there for one breakfast and did not return.

The general demeanor of ship employees was sullen. When asked a question, it was not unusual for them to stare blankly at the person asking that question, and a response might or might not be received. I did appear that many of the ship staff were lacking in English skills. Theater shows were, again, not up to standards which we have viewed on other ships on which we have cruised. Several of the singers had such heavy accents that their words were unintelligible when they sang songs which were somewhat recognizable as English songs.

Virtually everyone with whom my wife and I had conversation took this cruise due to the two day stop in Havana, Cuba. The excursions offered by the cruise line were enjoyable, however, they could have been booked much less expensively through an independent contractor. However, MSC had, in its cruise information stated that excursions must be booked through the ship due to agreements between the Cuban and US governments. We can say, however, that we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Havana. Finally, I should mention the casino. I enjoy gambling and often do so on cruise ships as our state prohibits any kind of casino activities. The Armonia's casino is tiny, a bit larger than the room showers, but only barely.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We took the Armania from Miami to Cuba & Mexico a couple of weeks ago. The food was the only good part. We were supposed to go to Jamaica but the capt. said he feared weather so we didn't which left us with an extra day at sea. The bathroom was a total disaster to shower in with the curtain up your ** constantly. The floor in the bathroom had mold or mildew (or something black) & dirt in every corner. The ship's officers were arrogant ** that totally ignored all but one of our requests. We had reserved a table in the dining room & then had to fight the staff for it. The food & drink staff had no managers so they did as little as they pleased. Tables weren't cleared so we cleared & wiped our own. On the last night aboard, maintenance was on our deck near our room doing something that involved cutting, grinding, & hammering metal all night. NEVER MSC AGAIN!

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I found the food inedible. Overcooked, very poor quality. With MSC it’s only about the bottom line. They do not care about their passengers - only saving money and making money. Any other cruise line is better.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The only cruise line or travel entity I have ever seen that will not allow a foreign credit card to pay the trip online or by phone. No PayPal either. I was told because they have to wait too long for the processing. That is not true. I can go to Walmart with my AmEx or Visa from France and they get their money right away. That is the business. Get in another line of work. I had to cancel the booking. My wife was heartbroken. Rotten administrative management decision. Any airline, any ship or hotel will take a foreign Visa or AmEx. How stupid. They really need a change of management.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We booked drinks package up to 6 EUR. While on board most drinks are 6 10 or 6.20. If you order one of these drinks you have to pay the full amount not the difference. Other cruise lines offer cheaper brands to fall into your drinks package category or charge the difference. MSC in my opinion are being very petty and unfair to their customers. We are a party of four not big drinkers and one doesn't drink alcohol at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MSC Cruise Lines?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

This is my second MSC cruise. Last year we took a Caribbean cruise with them and we were traveling with 6 people. Trying to get things coordinated on the phone with MSC staff was a nightmare. The customer service reps are rude and appear to be untrained. Same problem this year. The phone staff are uninformed, rude, and act as if your calling for advice is a huge inconvenience for them. They need to hire staff with people skills who genuinely want to help customers navigate through the process. I will stick to Royal Caribbean and Carnival from now on just to hear a helpful friendly voice on the other end.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I would just like to bring this to the attention of MSC Musica that the way they conduct their business is unethical. These people do serious false advertising. When you buy your ticket, they promise you that you will go to 2 islands Portuguese and Pomene Island but it turns out they only go to one all the time. Apparently, the story is always the same that the weather is bad yet when you look outside nothing is wrong with the weather. We already had heard the day before from those with experience that we will not be going to any Pomene Island as it is standard that they will claim bad weather.

My assumption from my assessment is that they are saving costs by not taking people out to the island and secondly it's more money coming in for them because the guests will be detained inside the Ship for 2 full days with no entertainment and there is not much happening on the Ship except their super expensive bars. People are forced to go spend and trust me people spend, and things are very expensive in there. The only thing they do for you is keep their buffet open the whole day where they are feeding people junk of burgers, chips and pizzas, people are not there for food but wonderful experiences promised to come with the cruise.

The disturbing thing is that when you ask around people tell you that actually that ship only goes to Portuguese Island which makes me wonder if this so called Pomene Island even exists. I was so disappointed, and this is actually fraud because it is false advertising promising people things that you know fully well you will not deliver on. I paid for a cruise to 2 Islands I got one am I not then entitled to a refund and this business of saying bad weather it was beyond their control is nonsense because the weather was beautiful. The sun was blazing. The sea was glowing and calm. Nothing was wrong with the weather. These people must be investigated they are fooling people and getting away with it and it has been going on for long as it seems.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Absolutely the worst cruise I've ever been on. Me and my mother have been cruising together since 2009 and I can honestly say in spite of the great price I would never recommend MSC nor cruise with them again. To start with when we arrived we found out after ordering a Corona and coke that yes the drinks are free with the drink package but there are surcharge fees (hidden fees) for every drink and the price for the same drinks doesn't stay the same throughout the ship. Once we got to our room (AFTER THE ANNOUNCEMENT THAT ROOMS WERE READY) the bathroom was still dirty.

In addition to all the rooms on our side being dirty or needing something our bathroom was visibly dirty with sand, a ring around the tub and no washcloths or towels in site. We found our steward who was in another room to inform him that we were going to need 4 face clothes everyday and our bathroom was dirty. More housekeepers were brought over by a man In white to help... The day went on. We went to dinner, came back room was clean and had 2 face cloths. At that time we noticed the sharps container that my mother requested weeks prior to embarking was missing. We phoned the steward to bring us one.

Day 2 midday my mother's bed fell... She is not even 200 lbs but her whole mattress fell to the floor. We let the steward know who said ok. We went to lunch, got in the whirlpool, came back, it was fixed. We had "complimentary breakfast" tags to put on the outside of the door. We filled it out, took a nap and went to dinner. We returned and while the beds had been made we had no new rags or towels for the next day even though we had asked for them.

Day 3 checked our room balance prior to getting off in Jamaica and to our surprise we had been charged $3.50 for room service. That's not complimentary if we had a fee... Only one $50 on board credit had been added to the room and they weren't sure when we'd receive the second. At this point we owed no money. Got off at the port and returned to the ship. When we returned they were painting under lifeboats 14 which happened to be right outside my balcony and they were staining the doors that lead from the buffet to the gelato on the 14th floor. I am an asthmatic so the paint and excessive fumes from solutions triggered an asthma attack.

The next morning we informed customer service who offered no apology and said they didn't know if they planned on painting again throughout our voyage. Additionally, we asked if they could have our steward leave wash cloths everyday because he hadn't been doing so. Because the service agent showed no empathy I asked for my gratuities off my room to be removed and for a print out. At that time the balance on the room was -$99.56 (meaning they owed me).

Day 4 after speaking to customer service we went to the casino, in order to play we had to add a minimum of $135 to the room which we did and played. Up until this day we had ordered drinks, gotten coffee, gelato and movies and somehow when we checked the balance not only was the $99 they owed me gone but at this point we owed them. We paid with no issue. This day was a sea day so after the casino we had lunch and went for a nap.

As soon as I laid in my bed it fell (1st time). I went down to customer service and they sent a carpenter. The day went on. At some point we returned to our cabin to find a "urgent" letter posted on our door saying we needed to come to guest services. Unsure what it was about we went down. At that time they wanted to know had my mother received her sharps container. Later on in the cruise other guest asked about the urgent letter.As you can imagine we were uncomfortable having to explain that it was nothing. I believe the notice should have been slid under the door like all the other papers were.

Day 5. This was the Aruba port but we didn't get off we stayed on to enjoy the ship but unfortunately non of the shops were open and the casino only let you play if you had cash because the machines were not recognizing room cards. Again we had breakfast, laid around, sat on the balcony, got in the whirlpool, went to lunch and had a nap. While sleeping I was awakened by the sound and feeling of the bed falling (2nd time).

Humiliated and embarrassed I waited to go to customer service but I called around 2:30pm to inform them that the bed fell again. Sitting on the balcony until 3:30pm nobody had been to the room, called again but got no answer. Went to the desk who then called a carpenter, went to the cabin to wait. 4:30pm went back to the desk to inform them that nobody had been in and I wanted it fixed before dinner so I could go to bed. After almost 4 hours the carpenter came in. I asked if he could just replace the bed but instead he added a screw in the left side of the bed saying it was missing.

Days 6-8 were better other than having to ask for wash cloths on a daily. Unfortunately Someone's toilet had overflown causing a horrible smell throughout parts of the ship which made several people vomit including my mother. Day 9 After being up all night with my mother being sick we were told that we had to be off the ship no later than 11:30am because the crew had another safety drill. We explained to the man who had on a MSC jumpsuit that my mother was not feeling well but he insisted that we had to go. Very disheartening.

Once we returned from the port we purchased 2 White Hennessy from the duty free shop on board and paid off the balance on our account. At that time we asked the agent who was helping us (Stacey), "What is the protocol if we didn't have any more money?" (knowing all we had left was money for the ports but not to cover any more surcharges for drinks). She told us we'd have to come the night before debarking to sign a declaration. Nothing more happened until the night before debarking. After dinner my face began to swell which are signs of a obvious allergic reaction. I took ** and laid down. My bed fell once again (3rd time) causing me and my mother to go to customer service. While complaining about the bed we thought it was wise to sign the declaration because we had an early flight. We were told by a supervisor there was no such thing and if we were unable to pay we'd have the sheriff called on us to deal with the situation.

At this point in addition to the humiliation I felt because the bed had fallen numerous times, we now had the added stress of missing our flight home with no money to get back and being arrested for no reason. And my face was so swollen it affected my vision and I had a soar throat. We agreed that yes we owed the money but prior to the last port we had the money. We would have just paid for the drinks and casino as we played but because we were told by the MSC customer service agent on board that we could sign the paper agreeing to pay later we thought no more of it.

After 4 hrs of trying to bargain with them and Stacey admitting that she told us about the declaration another supervisor named Victoria came to help. She sent security with us to our room to retrieve the alcohol we purchased as if we were criminals who stole it. She agreed to meet with us on debarkation day at 7am which we did. Took until 9am but we eventually signed the declaration and was able to leave with the threat that if the money was not paid in 5 days we would be arrested. All of that embarrassment, humiliation and disappointment for $147.07. No apologies for the bed repeatedly falling, no concerns for my obvious allergic reaction, no apology for causing my asthma attack but we have a bill for $147.07, the threat of being arrested and was treated as a criminal. I WOULD NEVER IN MY LIFE SAIL WITH OR RECOMMEND MSC.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

The ship was very nice and clean, almost new; however, I've never seen so poor and unpleasant customer service. The staff was very rude, food was very mediocre. I had the same breakfast and dinner every day. You will have to pay additional for many things within the ship besides drinks... And pay extra mostly every time on every port for shuttle transportation just to get you out of the port.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Worst cruise ever. Staff are rude and obnoxious. Supper was good as you sit down and served your food. Not great but expectable. Photographers very irritating and annoying, you cannot even enjoy your supper in peace. The exclusive sauna and jacuzzi area is not that at all as anyone doing a message of any kind gets in free for the day. The gentlemen controlling access is far more busy helping with bookings and will let you stand and wait forever before attending to your access. I had another cruise lined up but cancelled it when I disembarked from this cruise. MSC help desk not helpful at all in this regard. I lost my full deposit as they insisted that cruising to Mozambique is in South African waters. Threw the terms and conditions at me although it is very confusing as to what category my cancellation was in. After three mails to the call center my mail address was blocked... Unbelievable. MSC never again.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Where do I start? Embarkation was a total disaster. Had to go from one line to another. Hubby needed a wheelchair! Wait here, no go there! Finding our cabin was a challenge. Food was mediocre, service was slow but pleasant thanks to our waiter. Buffet was horrible, food was cold and very disorganized. Bar service was non existing. Pool chair lounge were nowhere unless you went at 5 a.m. Very disappointing trip. I can go on and on, smokers took over the garden pool with no respect for non smokers. Disembarkation was a total nightmare, we nearly miss our flight! Do yourself a favor, stay away from MSC Devina.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

The just returned from a two week cruise on the MSC Magnifica, have been on two other MSC cruises which were wonderful hence booking again. Currently one of the most important items on any cruise is the quality of the food. On this ship the restaurant food and service was to say the least very poor. So much so we tried the restaurant 3 times then ate in the cafeteria which not fantastic was better. Entertainment the same group of people every day just a different theme. No live music in the shows. All recorded. Not very professional. The majority of shuttle services a charge applied. Staff were the unhappiest I have met when on a cruise.

On a positive note the ship was very clean and the suite was kept in excellent condition. Shame the management of the ship have not applied themselves. From the cruise director to the head of catering they need to have a rethink on how to make a cruise special in a positive was. As one of the reception staff comments MSC are going through changes and this is the problem on board they trying to cut costs.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We were not supposed to be charged for room service and was told the money would not be charged to room. After we got home I noticed room service charges and liquor charges. (We had the Fantastica experience and also bought the upgraded drink and restaurant package). They reimbursed us for the liquor but refused to reimburse for the room service (which by the way we ordered from the "free" items). Bad customer service.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Like spending 4 days at the home affairs office. Queuing is all I did on this cruise. Waiting in line to sort out my room access card 3 times took over 1.5 hours and I missed the departing experience with my husband. Queuing to get to food. Extremely rude staff onboard MSC Musica. Queuing to get something to drink. Staff not helpful at all. If there was food it was either dry or tasted just like tinned spaghetti and tomato. One of the packages at Pomene offered a snorkeling experience with tropical fish. They took us to a canal with dead mangroves and one small dead fish beached. The end of the line for me... Excuse the pun... Was when they short paid me almost R1000 before disembarking at the end of the cruise. They sell it as a 5 day cruise but we had to stand in a queue at 5 am on the 5th day to proceed with the disembarkation procedure in Durban. I need a holiday after this trip. The worst experience in my life.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have just got off the maiden cruise of MSC Musica in South Africa. It was a disaster from start to finish and I couldn't wait to get home. My holiday turned out to be an exercise in pure frustration. We did not keep to the itinerary. When we got to Portuguese Islands we were told that there was unrest on the island - that was true. The people on the Island were rioting about MSC not political violence as told. We spent the best part of our cruise queuing for services- tender to go to Pomene 3 hours, embarkation 2 to 3 hours, cabin - 2 hours, meals at least 2 hours for 3rd rate food if there was any left - just atrocious. Luckily I was with a friend so other than the company the rest was shocking including the staff - they were mostly rude. Jack up your service - it is not acceptable to treat paying customers so badly. I have cruised before on other liners and have never had such an experience.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Having had high hopes for this ship, it was a big let down. I'll start with the positives: The ship was beautiful and clean; the restaurant service was great, our waiter was fantastic; our room attendant was friendly and kept our room nice and clean; drink package was great. Negatives: We accidentally purchased the water package twice, I know it was our fault but MSC refused to refund the money. I purchased the spa package for $160 each only to find out it only included the sauna (which wasn't unisex so my husband and I couldn't go in together) and the actual spa bath was an extra 57 Euros. I contacted MSC straight away and told them I won't be using this area at all, which I didn't and they told me that refunding the money goes against their terms and conditions and they will get back to me in 6 weeks time about it (?! 6 weeks?!). (So far about $360 wasted.)

I purchased the photo package which is great value, cost around $360 for 150 photos but most of the photos are untouched and look terrible so are unusable - they said for an extra fee they will improve them, they did however touch up the elegant night photos. Unlike other ships, you don't received the digital copies on a USB, this is also and extra fee.

My husband and I purchased a treatment from the spa, the very next day and subsequent days after, they had the very same treatment advertised 20% off, they flatly refused to give us the discount. They love to take money from you but will never help you out, it became a joke on board that if you breathe or moved it will cost you an extra 10 Euro.

Most of the staff were nice but I encountered a few who really looked like they didn't want to be there, at one point I had a coffee I ordered slammed down on the counter, way over the other side to where I was standing and another drink I had ordered wasn't made properly because he couldn't be bothered finishing it off, another girl at the cake counter wouldn't even acknowledge us standing there, couldn't even crack a smile. The restaurant food was fantastic but buffet food was exactly the same every single day for 21 days straight and my husband and another friend on board was vomiting a couple hours after eating a salmon roll.

The entertainment was terrible! And I'm not saying that lightly, it truly was mediocre, people were walking out and some even gave up going back all together. The last night we were there was the best show, I don't know why they didn't have better shows throughout the cruise. I would never pick MSC Cruises again and do not recommend it to anyone. For a great cruise experience, I would recommend either Royal Caribbean or Carnival Cruises, they go out of their way to help you, have great entertainment and the food is fantastic.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Beautiful ship, good shows, good cabin and dining room service. Worst customer service ever! This ship was made for the European market and not the American market. All of the managers need serious customer service training. “NO” was their first response to everything. The showers are very tiny and hard to maneuver in. The buffet was the worst we seen. The same food every single day. Dining room food was much better. The staff was great, but always appeared rushed and tired. Several staff told us they have zero days off, and work 12 to 14 hours a day. I would Not recommend this ship or line to anyone. Stick with Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Princess cruise line, they know how to treat paying customers.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

The Divina ship is the WORST ship I have EVER been on. NO care for their customers. They make you walk "because you are off their ship" for long distance. They don't care what the weather is. There is an empty terminal yet you have to walk in the 48 degree weather or rain because "it is not part of the ship". Customer service is the worst. I have been on this ship for 17 days with no help from anyone. Whatever you do don't raise your voice or you will receive a visit from security, More to the story but too long to get into. I am not a person who writes this type of stuff but this is the WORST experience I have and the worst part is I paid for it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

The ship was beautiful. That's the only positive comment I have. Most of the staff was incompetent, uncaring for the handicapped passengers, and/or very rude to passengers. Most passengers were complaining and remarking that they would never cruise this line again. Bar lounge entertainment was terrible. Performers in the main theater were, for the most part, talented; however, the majority of songs were in opera, and the shows were very similar. Food was average. Ice cream was only offered at one of the buffets, and you had to wait in line to be served. There were not enough bartenders. You had to go to the counter to get your own drinks and had to wait a long time to be served. Room attendant did not bring ice or clean glasses. She would take the dirty towels, etc.; but would not always replace them. There were times I did not have a washcloth. NO MORE MSC FOR ME!!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My granddaughter and myself did a Baltic cruise in August. My sister died on the fifth day. Very upset my granddaughter went to reception and asked for help in booking flights home, she was told they could not help. She would have to go on the internet and do it herself. They then charged us 20 euro for using it. Service was bad all round apart from cabin crew, set dinner times were mostly late, food not good, not enough staff. We have cruised before and were very happy with it.

We will never again go with MSC.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Out of 10 cruises and twice with MSC I was extremely disappointed in the services I received while on the seaside. The ship was beautiful! However, the staff and other cruisers were extremely RUDE. I got the drinks on us package along with my booking. Being that I had this package I asked to have all of the drinks and snacks removed from the fridge to later find them all under my bed in a pillowcase! I wouldn't dare want to drink or eat food that's been chilled and then stored under a bed in a pillowcase for over a week. The food was gross!

They had the same old thing every day. Chicken thighs and legs, burgers, fries white fish and hotdogs. You couldn't even get a picture of water in your room. They only offered ice. We had a balcony with room service included. We asked for coffee and we were told you could only order sandwiches with their room service. I had to ask repeatedly for them to refill the shower gel dispensers as well. I was told this ship would be more Americanized than the Divina but that was not the case. The fruit baskets they gave to past guest was full of rotten food. When leaving they would not let my mother off the ship because they said she owed money. We stepped out of line to find out they made a mistake. My mother told the lady that this would be our last time cruising with MSC and she had the nerve to look at her with a smirk and said that's fine. Just RUDE RUDE RUDE!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

MSC Seaside is a beautiful ship... That said just about everything else on the cruise was to say the least not to standard for any cruise line we have sailed in the past. 1st poor food in main dining and buffet. By the end of the cruise I believe I had seen just about every way to prepare chicken and white fish. 2nd the entertainment was to put it kindly European and since I don't speak Italian could not understand any of it. Even the songs they attempted to sing in English were so heavily accented I couldn't understand that either. And there was no variety to the shows at all, unless you count costume changes? 3rd very poor vetting of their excursions. On one we were dumped on a remote island advertised as a beach break.

No entertainment, food was $16.00 for a hotdog and $27.00 if you wanted fries with that... CRAZY. That was the cheapest of the offerings on the island. 4th we paid for their Fantastica package. I think it was about $100.00 each. When we got there was somehow downgraded to their Bella package (Basically 12 free drinks and free room service). When I complained at the service desk was told they had no record of it but gave me free beer. And reading the tickets they emailed me there was no mention either. But, I can assure you the money was deducted when I booked the cruise. From there just about everything else on the cruise was downhill or subpar. We have sailed 5 different cruise lines and this is by far the bottom of the ladder.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

We give MSC Seaside an F rating and would not recommend any family or friends to use MSC. Overly crowded boat, rude administration, and poor Customer Service. We will never take another cruise with this cruise company. We have taken 16 cruises with different cruise lines and never experienced service like this. Took a cruise on MSC Seaside June 2018 for our 50th Anniversary with 21 people and we had 7 rooms. We booked through a travel agency a year in advance. I told the travel agency I wanted to celebrate my 50th Anniversary on the cruise ship in private room with a cake, a wine and juice toast and a photographer to take family and group photos the 1st day at SEA. I had confirmation from the travel agency through MSC that our event was confirmed for our party.

When I arrived on the cruise ship I was told we had no event booked. I had to spend my first night away from my family to scramble with MSC to get something together and MSC ended up putting us in a restaurant the next day 1st day at SEA. The photographer was inexperience taking group pictures. The setting was not acceptable for the photos we wanted. On the cruise, after seeing the pictures we were very upset. The pictures were terrible because the background was bad, and arrangement of people was bad news. MSC customer service on the cruise refused to make any effort to correct the problem and would not take addition acceptable pictures without charging an outrageous fee.

MSC took responsibility for their miscommunication after the cruise and admitted it was their fault it didn’t get scheduled AHEAD OF TIME. They were unwilling to settle fairly for all we went through and gave us a token gift and MSC was unreasonable. This makes us very upset and disappointed in MSC and not at all acceptable. Balcony rooms were very small and the adults had to crawl over kids to get out of bed. Not big enough for 3-4 people. The food was served cold in the dining room and was cold in the buffet. Long lines in the buffet and out of a lot of food when you got there. Also if kids wanted ice-cream they served it only a couple hours at lunch with long waits up to 45 minutes for a scoop. There were up to 2 hour long lines for the water slides and Zip Line and much of the time only 1 of the 2 were open.

You have to register for the shows ahead of time and since some of our guest didn’t t register the 1st day they weren’t allowed to go to the show. Most of the shows were only 30 minutes long and not in English. Could not find a chair to sit at for the pool because it was overcrowded. After the cruise, we talked to customer relations. They were indifferent and not apathetic. Never again on this cruise line.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

MSC Cruise Lines is the worst line for customer service. Treats people like cattle. Unresponsive and horrible. Been on many cruises all fine. MSC is in a low class by itself!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Bad customer service, never a satisfactory answer to the questions, they are very rude. Our cabin was not clean, they did not clean the bathroom floor during our trip, they just made the bed, I had to ask for fresh towels. The "gourmet restaurant" was serving the same food as the buffet, they just change the name of the food for a fancy one, we send the plates back quite a few times. Shows and entertainment was poor, like school shows. Piano bar boring. Tours guides did not speak the language we requested, also they don't give any time to explore by yourself, plus they charged us tour for two people that we never took, I had to wait one month for them to refund my money. Free advice: if you want to have a nice vacation, don't ever use MSC Cruises.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Myself, my wife and two 8 years kids were abandoned by the tour guide in our first excursion in a city around one hour from Marseille despite that we have paid a lot for a tour guide who can take care of us. Basic emergency principles were missed, even a contact number of the tour guide was not provided and for most he left us back without traveling documents or money. The emergency number on the ship simply not answering... Terrifying situation that I Can’t find words to express!!! Kids were terrified and god only knows what I did to find my way back to the port.

I have reported the incident to the cruise management and of course since they are at fault they just were so inhuman and has been buying time to respond back. They just simply don’t want even to speak or apologize. The excursion manager not willing to meet or talk at the time they should have at least apologized from a basic human perspective. My daughter has been crying all day out and my son terrified to move out of ship or even have any activity. My wife almost had a nervous shock and don’t want to even see people on the ship... Horrible horrible horrible...

Human rights and customer care are only slogans on MSC sea view cruise that no one should believe. We are nothing to them except a number which is the amount you pay and after that they don't care and they never care for the basic human rights... Needless to mention about the unexplained amounts being debited from our credit card and as usual no one to speak to - they keep on diverting from one department to the other without any logical explanation... Worst ever experience...

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I booked a cruise & am being denied the perks offered on the website at the time of my booking. The MSC web page was advertising free drink package, $75 per person on board spend & free wifi for my sailing date. A customer service agent pointed these perks out to me & I could see online that this was indeed offered for all staterooms according to the page displayed. I booked this date instead of my preferred week to get these perks but they did not show up on my confirmation. I spoke to 3 representatives & never got a call back from a supervisor. The last person basically said that the on board spend & WIFI was only for balcony bookings & I booked ocean view.

Apparently the webpage display was wrong because it clearly had a star by the ocean view category indicating the perks included. The error was theirs but no one cares about that. I caught the error too late to make a copy of the web page because the offer expired 2 days later. I will copy all offers in the future but doubt it would have made a difference. I haven't sailed yet and am already very upset & feel cheated. I've sailed on approximately 30 cruises but this is my 1st with MSC. I've never had a booking discrepancy before & hope the cruise is a better experience. Will post a post cruise review after sailing.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

After a year of planning I decided to take my father for his 80th birthday and my mother along with my wife for her 50th birthday as well to the Greek island and Croatia cruise. Usually I cruise with Celebrity but because a friend of us Karen ** that she is a VP of Celebrity Cruise told me to try MCS because she had a friend that work for them and she recommended. We were all excited to bring my parents and celebrating this two big birthdays at board of an Italian Cruise. Well on July 14th we embarked in Venice, already we could not embark on the ship because they had some issues that the ship was anchored in a shipping yard so we had to tender for almost an hour without any air condition and no one offered any bottles of water or any assistant to make this departure more comfortable as possible.

Honestly my mother is diabetic and they are an elderly couple and to be honest it was so unpleasant for all of us. We had booked room 1059 for my parents and room 1214 for us, as soon we arrived in our room # 1214 the room was not set for welcoming new guest, no itinerary and so on. We departure and we were looking forward to cruise by the Grand Canal and see Plaza San Marco but unfortunately the plan was changed and we left Venice from a different location. Our first stop was split then we left later afternoon and the next day was at sea. During the day or at night something happened to the cruise and start to go much slower than normal, the captain announced that they had some mechanical problem but nothing to worry for our security or for our trip destinations. Guest started to worry and everyone started to be agitated and thinks were coming to the surface that the main engine of the ship broke down.

Not one at that time announced anything entail to a point that the entire guest start to complained. Finally the captain announced that the trip will need to be modified and Mikonos will be cancel because the cruise will not have enough power to make it on time. Well the guest went ballistic, people had dinner planned on Mikonos, I had friends planning to meet us at Scorpion Night Club to celebrate my wife 50th birthday. You can imagine that the entire cruise was upset; during the night show someone stand up and start screaming that they want explanations and compensation, people start to called lawyers. Well the trip started to be very sour, the excitement was gone, the vacation was destroyed, no one on the ship was happy. In addition not one of the executive officers want to talk, they only blamed the company that did not give them any information.

It is understandable because as a General Manager in a very sophisticated and high demand private club in South Florida called Ocean Reef Club if something happened we cannot talk that much to our members, but my point is, the vacation was gone. The dream to take my parents to see at least two islands of Greece was gone, they could not even come out at Santorini because it was too much for them. Then my entire plan at Mikonos for my wife birthday was gone, so I want you to understand the mood of entire my family. In addition the captain announced that each stateroom would be credit 100 Euro to be spend on board. This was a joke, really 50 euro per person. Not only we missed one of the major port of our itineraries but also all the others destinations were all changed. All the guest was disappointed. Not one was having fun as a plan; this was a big fault from MSC.

This was not a force of God. This was mechanical, and because I have a lot of friends that work on the cruise industry this was not handled in a correct and professional way. In addition I find out that the Cruise Sinfonia is due for dry-dock in October, that mean that the ship is old and had already many issues in the past. The only positive of the cruise was the night show, and the dinners at the Covo. The rest of the entire time was horrible, we called the Nightmare Cruise trip.

Well probably you all know what happed on that cruise, my demand on you is to be compensate toward my entire cost of my trip for both stateroom. Paid for the best room of the cruise. It was not a problem but not receiving what I paid for it is a problem. So please take your time to investigating, whatever it takes. Email me a.s.a.p. In regard of this matter, you can also call me at my USA number **. I know you are a very respectable cruise company and things sometime happen, now it is you that need to take care the guest that did not enjoyed what was promised. Before I will contact my credit card and open a case, I want you to take care of it. Thank you very much. I will be waiting for your response. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Hi, my wife and I booked a cruise through vacations to go on MSC cruise ship Opera 2 months in advance. The itinerary said that the first port and our port of departure was Naples (Capri) Italy. This itinerary was transmitted by MSC Cruise Lines to my travel agent who then sent it to me. We flew to Naples, stayed 2 days and then made our way to the port of Naples to buy tickets for the water taxi to get to Capri to board the ship which was leaving at 1pm. Upon reaching the port, I asked at the tourist information booth about going to Capri to get the ship and where to buy tickets for the water taxi, a male and female attendant were working but neither could answer my question upon looking at the itinerary and seeing (Capri). The time was flying and it was after 12:00 so I told my wife we must buy the tickets and go to Capri so we don't miss our cruise.

Upon leaving the port of Naples, there was the Opera sitting in the Bay of Naples, and we knew we were in big trouble. A nice young man was on the water taxi and we asked him to use phone to call MSC and he said he worked for MSC and he had a special number. He checked our itinerary and said this was certainly their fault and we should compensated for the water taxi and whatever other costs we incurred. He called the emergency number and they told him they could not wait for us to come back to Naples but we could meet the ship in the next port in Genoa but he told us we would have to take a 6 hour train ride to Genoa. I agreed because we obviously had no other choice.

We took a taxi back to Garibaldi Square in Naples and went down to the train station and bought tickets for Genoa which included a transfer in Rome. Once on the tracks we asked a man in train uniform which track the train to Rome would stop on, he checked our tickets and said he didn't know. To our amazement after finding the right track and boarding once the person came around to check tickets it was the SAME GUY who we asked. WOW. Once in Rome we got off the train at 8:10pm and had to board the transfer train to Genoa by 8:26. We asked a few people and nobody could help, there were about 50 tracks in Rome and the TV screen was not any help. We asked another man and woman in uniform and they said track 14. We boarded the train waiting on track 14 and I asked someone on board if the train was going to Genoa and they said "no, this train is going to Venice"!!!

The train was leaving so we threw our bags off and jumped off the train and found an information booth which informed us the proper track was 25 yellow and told us to hurry. We went as fast as possible but when we reached the track our train was pulling out and left us behind. We went into the Trenitalia ticket office and tried to resolve our problem. I was being helped by a man and he told me there was no more trains to Genoa that night and that the next day he had a train leaving at 1:00pm. I told him our ship was leaving at 6:00 and that the train getting there at 7pm would be too late but he said he could not find anything.

Thank God a young lady who was the manager was listening and overheard my problem, she came over and looked on the computer and found a midnight leaving from Ostiense train station a half hour away from the station we were in and that we would have to take a taxi there and I thanked her dearly and took the tickets that she exchanged and only charged me the difference in price because the tickets were a little higher being it was a sleepover train. I agreed happily.

So we left the station, jumped in a cab and told the driver "Ostiense Train Station". He said, "OK." About a half hour later he said, "Ok, you are here" and we paid and got out with our bags. We entered the station but it was small and just didn't feel right so I walked into a bar there and asked if this was Ostiense Station and the guy said…"no, that's a few blocks up that way...pointing". It was already dark, we were tired, confused and didn't feel like walking to another possible wrong destination so I convinced my wife that we need to ask a cab driver. We did and he said, “Get in”. He didn't even start the meter and drove two blocks or so and said "ten euros". I was furious but paid that creep but I was relieved to see the Ostiense Station in front of us. It was about 10:30pm now, cold and dark, but we found the proper track and waited for the midnight train to Genoa.

Once in Genoa, at 7am, we had coffee, a small bite to eat and made our way to the port of Genoa by taxi to meet our ship which were told would be there at 9am and we could board. We got to the port, got out of taxi and were greeted by a man in a MSC uniform and he asked if he could help. I showed him the itinerary and he said he needed it to print our boarding passes. When he returned he gave us the passes and took our 2 bags and said he would put our cabin number and names on our bags and that we should give him a good tip. I gave him 3 euros. He told us to go inside the building there and see the man at the desk inside with our boarding passes. We did but the man said we could board because the ship had not arrived yet. I went around back to look because my wife was upset, we had not changed clothes for 2 days and we were very anxious to get onboard and catch up on our cruise.

When I went around back there was the MSC Opera sitting in port and the man at the desk had obviously lied. We approached him and he said would see what he could do but we should sit down and wait as other passengers were coming who would board in Genoa. We waited 2 hours and nothing, so my wife approached him again and explained our hardship and again he said he would see what he could do. 12:00 came and other passengers came also and finally we were allowed upstairs were the security belt and where they checked your boarding passes. A nice girl checked our passes and said she needed to have a guy sitting in front of the belt make a copy of them, when he saw our names he said my last name , "I know you, you are the one with the red and the blue bags. I took care of your bags because your cabin # was changed, I want to make sure they go to the right cabin."

I said thanks and we went through security and boarded the ship by 1:00pm. 3:00 came fast and no bags came. We had no underwear or change of clothes but we showered and called the desk again and they said the remaining bags were being delivered now so I said thanks. 6:00 came, no bags. I called again, they said to come to the desk and see them. Our dinner seating was at 7:00 and the line at the service desk was 40 people long. We waited and waited and finally decided to go eat and come back as to not miss our seating. Upon coming back the line was still 20 people long and only one guy there now taking care of people. We waited a bit and then wife lost her patience and stormed the desk and started yelling at the guy, embarrassing but probably warranted.

He walked away from and I approached and told him he told me to come to the desk and I asked if there were any bags down there anywhere and he opened a door and there sat 3 bags, 2 of them ours. To my surprise our bags had tags on them but they were BLANK! NO NAME OR CABIN #! I complained but they just shook it off, I asked for management and he said he was the manager. I then went back to our cabin and called MSC phone number for customer service and told this horror story to them and they said there was nothing they could do. That phone call cost me 40.00 U.S. from the ship. After settling down we went on tour the next day but we were still traumatized and angry.

The rest of the cruise was OK, one tour we had bought had no English guide and it was supposed to, the food was OK and everything else average, we were on our 4th cruise so we knew the drill and what to compare to and I found Norwegian Lines to be much more friendlier and far more attentive as to our every need. Once we got home I started making calls, and VacationToGo, my travel agent agreed to pay us back 200.00 U.S. and said I was a good customer but that MSC sent them the itinerary and that they should have no problem reimbursing the other $200.00 I had spent on taxis, water taxi, trains etc. But they flat out refused even though my agent said I was 100% right about the itinerary saying "Capri". And that they should have no problem with such a small request but they flat out refused.

I would not suggest MSC to anyone, they are not caring about your problems and a lot of crew you encounter try and shake you down for money if you need something. Not nice at all. I personally think they don't like Americans, maybe because they don't get many? Not sure? But it was the worst experience traveling I ever had and I have been all over the world. Japan, China, Europe, South America, Africa...and many other destinations. It sucked.

Original review: July 17, 2018

We chose this cruise line as it would best accommodate our travel destination needs. My family and I have been on many cruises in the past and thought this one would be equally as pleasant as the others. The food was fine, the crew was nice, and things seemed normal until they demonstrated just how heartless they truly are. In Messina, my family and I went on a bike tour. The drivers there are very reckless and my mother was hit by a car on the bicycle and injured both her leg and arm. The two tour guides rushed to her aid and attempted to bandage her as best they could but she was still in pain and bleeding a lot. The tour guide then said it’s best we find a way to get her back to the boat via taxi. We got the taxi and my mother, father, and the assistant tour guide tagged along.

Upon arriving to the ship my father had to pay 100 euros to the taxi driver, including the price of the assistant bike guide that tagged along. MSC would not even cover the price of their crew member in the taxi. Because my mother was injured, my father and I went to the desk and asked if they could cancel the reservation for the excursion the next day due to the fact that my mother was injured and from the car hit. The woman at the desk exclaimed that she could only refund the amount of the two tickets for my mother and father but not for my brother and I. Also that she was only refunding for my mother as a courtesy. And that they did more than enough for us.

Now the twist in this entire tragedy is that the excursion in question (that we want to cancel) is one that we never wanted in the first place. We only booked it only because they cancelled another that we had on a different day at the last minute because we speak English and there weren’t enough English speaking participants. And by the time that we were notified of the cancellation, there were no other excursions available in our interest because it was last minute. The desk, and their manager showed no emotion and only mentioned dollar figure and that they had provided enough compensation by cancelling my parents' tickets. The only thing my family and I wanted was to all be together for our family vacation but instead they left us with a nightmare and bad memories.

MSC Cruise Lines Company Information

www.msccruisesusa.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.