1.16/5

657 Megabus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

After double booking a trip for 4 tickets instead of 2, and not realizing it until I took the trip, I was told no refunds and no exchange. I was told I made the mistake. I was told I made the error and I was told I was in the wrong. As a customer this is enraging. Completely unacceptable service telling the customer they are wrong. They can do, but won't do and they have made their policy so that the customer is beneath them. I still blame the website for the error, as it does not show you a full basket of your items at checkout before confirming... Terrible outdated customer service. I don't make a lot of money, and I feel as though I have been taken advantage of.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

My sister and I were traveling back home on Jan 10 to Atlanta. The driver Scott was very pleasant and he made everybody feel very welcome and comfortable. We made a pit stop in Tifton Ga. for 30 mins to get something to eat. One of the passenger wasn't back in 30 mins. He went back in the truck stop and look for the passenger to let them know we were fixing to leave. Not only did he let the passenger know what was going on but he also gave the passenger a few mins due to the restaurant was cooking her food fresh.

Most drivers would have taken off and left the passenger there stranded. I had read stories where the driver has left people before because they didn't care or they were tired of waiting. If there were more drivers like Scott who care about their customers a lot of places wouldn't get bad reviews and a lot of customers would be happy. Scott went above and beyond. Drivers like Scott makes a trip more pleasant when they have a great personality and care about their passengers.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I wish I could give Megabus 0 stars. I bought two tickets and got to the stop early. I waited AN HOUR during Christmas excited to get home. And the bus never showed up. I didn’t get to go home for Christmas, and customer service was just as unreliable. It took 4 weeks for them to respond just to say that they couldn’t issue a refund, or ticket exchange regardless of whether or not the bus showed up. DO NOT BUY TICKETS FROM MEGABUS. When your bus doesn’t show up that’s money down the drain because once the ticket time passes, you can’t get a refund or exchange either. Your chances are better walking to your destination.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I wish I could give NO star to this company. It is terrible, irresponsible and all the bad adjectives you can find in the dictionary! I purchased a round trip ticket from Boston-New York for today? January 10, 2019. I arrived at 5:30 AM and at 5:50 AM the bus didn’t stop and just drove by. I found out later that 6:00 bus was canceled. I didn’t get any notice; I tried to call customer service which opens at 6:30 AM and no help at all. I tried to catch the 7:00 and the driver very rude, didn’t allow me to be in the bus. In a nutshell, it was a terrible, terrible experience. I will make a complaint with BBB.org and BOSTON Attorney General. This company is just taking people money and something has to be done. Period!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Worst experience ever! Would never ever use their services again. My bus was supposed to leave at 11 pm on 01/02/2019 and I got to the bus on time. Driver was yelling at me (literally screaming) and trying to rush me. I politely asked if we still had some time. That when the whole attitude has started. Driver didn’t allowed to go into bus and was demanding me to apologize. End up calling their customer service but it was totally helpless. Their customer service is totally joke. I felt really insulted.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Megabus?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Megabus is very misleading. Their customer service is pitiful, with some of the rudest and most unhelpful service providers I have ever encountered, providing absolutely no assistance with your issue. Their departure times are never accurate, they either depart too early or hours later, and when you call customer service for assistance they do absolutely nothing to help you, other than tell you to either purchase another ticket or pay the exchange fee for their incompetence.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

The customer service is terrible and supervisor are idiots without common sense of good service. While trying to do a ticket exchange they charged me for the cancelled ticket and the new changed one. While they acknowledge the cancelation the money was not refunded or credited to my account. The website for changes is deceptive and misleading with the only intention of taking your money. This tactics use do not appear to be ethical or legal. We all should report to BBB. I have done so already as the first step.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Never use their Megabus services in the future. I have to pay additional fees to reschedule my trip or it's not refundable. They take advantage of such circumstances. Avoid Megabus services if you want to save your money.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I booked a ticket to NYC to visit family on Christmas. My bus was Christmas Day at 2:00 pm. The bus was practically empty, yet I was denied entry because I had two pieces of luggage, and their policy states any more than one and entry will be denied. I offered an arm and a leg in cash to just let me go and see family, yet no attention was paid by the company. They wouldn't even change the ticket time for free. The fact that this can happen to someone on Christmas shows how uncaring this company is. I will never ride Megabus again. I'm one of few people who actually have the power to spite this company in that I host 300+ AirBnB guests per month. So I'll be using this soapbox to tell every single one of my yearly 4000+ guests not to use this service.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I had exactly a day and a half to spend with my family in New York for the holidays and so I booked an overnight trip on Megabus from Toronto to New York that was to arrive 8:10am in New York Saturday, December 22. The Megabus arrived late in Toronto after I was standing for almost a hour in the terminal in the cold. The bus left 8:35pm instead of 8:00pm and stopped everywhere despite the fact we were clearly running behind schedule.

I arrived in New York at 10:30am, two and a half hours late with no apology whatsoever from the driver and to compound an already frustrating situation, the wifi on the bus was not working and I had no means to communicate with my arranged pickup that I was running late and so I was left stranded in New York city for several hours. I think it is safe to say Megabus will not be my transportation of choice ever again. I was excited for my trip and was left severely disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I had the most disappointing experience with Megabus in the attempt to send my son to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. After sitting at the bus stop for about an hour the bus did not show up. I called Saturday morning, the representative was rude and only provided an email. I sent the email and received a response saying that it's my fault for missing the bus and they would not refund me my $20.00. Come on this is a $20.00 ticket. Why in the hell would someone lie for this minimal amount. I'm now requesting management because their service is horrific! This was my first and last time trying to use this transportation service! BadgerBus in Wisconsin is so much better. They actually show up!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Hello my name is **. My husband and myself very loyal customers. We also served in the military. Which makes us veteran. We fought and served for America. On Dec 2 2018 at the boarding of my trip at 5:46pm a customer was sitting in my reserve seat. I told her politely she was sitting in my seat. She responded back "which one". By then I knew she didn’t have a reserve seat at all period. I went to the bus. Driver told him what happen and I also explain she didn’t have a reserve seat and threatening me and how I feel scared and uncomfortable. He went to my seat, ask her to move and she said no then he told me to go sit somewhere else. I was confused and disappointed and upset. The customer was threatening me the whole time calling me foul names.

I went to another seat which was someone else seat. Before the driver was about to switch out I went down to him and ask him for his name he said "I not giving you my name. You don’t need it. All you need is the bus number 709." The drivers switched out then we made it to Durham NC. I went to that driver explain everything what happen he ask to see my ticket. Went to her ask for her ticket. He explained to her that she sitting in a reserve seat and she have to seat behind seat number 16 in general seats. She got her things and left. While she walking to her seat she look at me said she want to slap me and other negative things.

I moved to my reserve seat. My husband was on the phone the whole time. I hung up with him and I called Megabus. I would like to know the driver name of the bus 709 who didn’t handle the situation. I applaud the driver who did handle the situation according. He was the driver that switched out at the Garner, NC with him. The description of the driver tall ** male with glasses mid 50's. The only thing Megabus did was refund 3 dollars and supervisor kept hanging up in my face when I ask for the whole amount I paid back bus driver name. Very bad customer service!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I booked 4 bus tickets of Megabus from Charlotte, NC to Washington DC, followed by bus from DC to New York and the flight to Beijing, China. I got the confirmation with the address of the station for departure, Bus Bay #3 Whitton Street, between Dewitt Ln and South Blvd. When I went to the station and waited for more than an hour, I was told by other passengers that Megabus had changed the departure station for this trip. However, I never got any update for my tickets and there is no any notice or sign at the address on my tickets to inform the change. For Megabus' fault, I missed their bus, also the followed bus from Washington D.C to New York. For catching the flight back to China, I have to pay more than 1300 dollars for my family flying to New York instead.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My fault. I chose an incorrect day for departure and used their trade in feature. I was fine with taking an extra fee to change the ticket date. The new ticket was less expensive and there was a credit left over from the original ticket I purchased. They don't allow you to use the difference to pay a change penalty and another booking fee. FINE... What I was not ok with was Megabus keeping the difference/leftover credit to the ticket I purchased. Customer service explained any difference left over is forfeit. Corporate theft at its best. Not a great business model.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Worst customer service ever from NYC to Baltimore! Employees were rude and incompetent, buses were overbooked...lots of angry customers. Dispatcher was rude and lying to everyone about future buses. After waiting for three hours in the cold we finally ended up taking the train.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Prior to my Houston trip of 11/27/18 all reviews except one warned us not to plan leaving our cars at the station. On arrival at Grand Prairie, I was met by Mr. ** as well as Mr. **, not only did they politely and patiently work with my accent, they clearly showed me where to drop-off my luggage and precisely pointed out their gravel- site parking lot. My brand new car was still safe on return 3-days later. The WiFi-use to/fro were superb. I personally complimented the two female drivers that to us to & from Houston. I didn’t get to use the bathroom but the inside of both buses were clean.

There was no disruption of any kind. Above all, the entire trip cost me less than $15. I’m disappointed though to learn about non-accreditation from you but I’ll still use them again. I thought buses get road-worthy and Schools get accreditation? But simply. I need all to know you can sign some papers and leave your vehicle at Grand Prairie while you’re gone for no longer than 7 days. The front parking is strictly for drop-offs.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Nov 26, 2018 @ 130 am a Megabus Driver lost his temper, hit a lady & choked her husband after arriving late to Los Angeles from Las Vegas 545 pm departure. Called customer service which is routed to India & they could care less! They hung up on me 5 times! Megabus allows violent drivers to work for them! He should be arrested!!! Never again shall I ride that unprofessional bus line!!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I had an prospective client interview in Tampa and as I am from New York, I thought I would try the Megabus instead of renting a car, paying for petrol, etcetera, etcetera. Well needless to say, it never happened and below is what happened. I sent an email on the 23/Oct/18 to state that there seemed to be an issue with their system as it would not take my credit cards. Yes that is right, I stated cards. We tried multiple times from the 23 - 24/Oct to buy a ticket, the price kept getting higher and higher the closer we go to our departure date. This was their response on the 25/Oct:

"We're sorry to hear you are unable to purchase a ticket on our website. To protect our customers, we have industry standard fraud checks in place on our website payment page. It appears that your card has come up under these fraud checks preventing you from making a payment on our website. As per the email address or Worldpay provided and checking the payment records, we show the payment was not processed. Payment history: 24/Oct/2018 - 12:44 REFUSED [internal], 24/Oct/2018 - 12:44 SENT_FOR_AUTHORISATION. Please visit the website at http://us.megabus.com to purchase a new reservation. If you would still like to purchase a ticket on our website, we suggest asking a friend or family member to make the purchase on your behalf. We truly apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."

This was our response: "Apologies for my delayed response but I have actually been busy but I did want to respond. Between my husband and myself we have tried (12), count them, (12) different credit cards, personal and business, on your site to no avail. Your system is highly flawed and we will never attempt to use or suggest it to anyone. Instead we have let everybody know that you have set up your system to make even more money off people that would have to call in. You are unreliable and apparently are independently wealthy since it took you so long to respond to our inquiry.

"We understand that Florida is the identity theft capital of the world but it is not your job to manage people’s forms of payment. It is the consumers. We have tried to use your system twice now, once in 2011 and once this year. The first time you took our money and then refused to let our 78yo Uncle on board since he did not print out the receipt and only had it on his phone, and then refuse to refund us so we had to file a chargeback. By the way...we won.

"Then due to your shady service we had to scramble to get him from Hartford to Manhattan during a snowstorm. His trip started @ 05.30 am and he did not arrive in Manhattan until 20.30 due to other arrangements that had to be made. And this time, I just called a Lyft to get to my client meeting since your customer service is definitely “American” standard. (Which in case you do not know, means subpar at best. "We want your money, but do not ask for any help of any kind as we will not drag our lazy selves to do anything, to help anyone, in a timely manner.") Your company is the reason why business owners like myself outsource and refuse to hire Americans in general. Thank you for your time, and please note there is no need to respond." So from what I have seen on this site, I would recommend just taking Amtrak. It is always late but you will get there eventually.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

On October 27, 2018, I made 2 reservations with Megabus. One going from Birmingham, Alabama to Atlanta Georgia and the other going from Atlanta, Georgia to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I realized that I booked the trips to leave on 10/27/18; but I actually wanted to leave on 10/28/18. I went back on the website and changed my reservation. I have 6 emails from Megabus confirming what I did. 2 emails confirming the original reservations, 2 emails canceling the original reservations, and 2 emails showing the amended reservations for the new departure date. After I arrived home, I checked my bank account and saw a duplicate charge for $81.50. I called right away to have the fee reversed. The person I spoke to said that I double booked the trip and since the trip passed they could not reverse the charge. I explained to them several times that I DID NOT double book the trip.

The person just kept repeating herself like a robot saying the same thing, "You double booked your reservation. According to the terms we cannot reverse the charge. Is there anything else I can help you with?" Frustrated, I hung up. I called again on November 2nd and spoke to Peter. He said he would send it to escalations and I should hear back from them within 3-5 business days. As of today, 11/20/18, I still hadn't heard back. I called again today and spoke to Justin who said he couldn't help me and then he transferred me to the supervisor Latoya.

She got on and said I understand you double booked your trip and are requesting a refund. I told her that that is not correct. Nothing was double booked. Had it been double booked, I would have had another email (I only have the 6 mentioned above) then she started repeating herself like a robot too... "You double booked your trip and according to the terms, you cannot be reimbursed. Is there anything else I can help you with?" I am extremely upset and dissatisfied. This is NOT the first issue I have had with Megabus but it will be my LAST time using them. Every time I have used Megabus there has been an issue - from stolen luggage to rude and inappropriate drivers. Their services may be cheap but MOST DEFINITELY not worth taking the risk. You get what you pay for!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Very rude guy that checks tickets. I took my 13yr son to the Orlando bus stop to meet his 18yr cousin so they could ride down to Fort Lauderdale together. The guy that checks tickets told me my son cannot ride. I asked why. He said he was too young. I told him you just checked his cousin's ticket and he said, "How do I know that's his cousin's." I said I don't care if you know it's his damn cousin and he's getting on the bus, and yes I'm pissed at this point. Then he asks what's the last name. My son answers. He looks at my son with a attitude and says, "I'm not talking to you," so I said, "Don't talk to my son like that." He gets all mad. After all said and done my son and his cousin's got on the bus. This guy needs to be fired. He's very rude and disrespectful. Now I know why he is behind a glass window checking tickets. Never again will we use this company. There is way too many other bus companies besides this ** one.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

The first time I missed my stop. Ended up in downtown Houston. At 1 in the morning. My booking this time was the wrong date. They neglected to send a follow up e-mail not like last time. No one helped get me rebooked, no discount, nothing to help me. So no refund or anything I just have to. It another ticket. I was not trying to say anything bad but each time I go Megabus I get mega headaches.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Round trip bus ticket purchased online from Buffalo, NY to Toronto, CN starting Sunday 10/21 at 7:50 am returning 10/22 11:59 pm. I arrived at pick-up location at approximately 7:30 am. The bus never arrived. I never left the area. Repeated calls made to Megabus customer service: 7:56 am, waited on hold and spoke to rep. (6 min, 27 sec), told bus delayed, no reason given, read from script saying this could happen, I confirmed exact pick-up location. 8:45 am, waited on hold, placed on hold again while rep. said she was trying to get more info. She returned to call and told me the bus was still delayed (1 min, 27 sec). 8:51 am, told by rep. bus had not arrived, said could not respond to my insistence on a reason for the delay or whether this bus was ever dispatched (2 min, 0 sec).

9:05 am, waited on hold, told by rep that bus was still delayed. No further information given (5 min, 31 sec). 9:28 am, rep. confirmed bus still in route. Insisted on more information, none given (8 min, 31 sec). 9:38 am, waited on hold, rep. said he was contacting upper management on whereabouts of bus, said I would have to call back (9 min, 31 sec). No bus arrived. Went back to car.

At 10:18 given false information that the bus left at 9:18 a.m. Absolutely not possible. It would also be incredibly inappropriate not to contact me if there was a pending departure/more information I needed considering that it was hours late. Now the company is saying that they have investigated and that the bus actually departed at 8:50 am. It seems this company is allowed to say and do whatever it wants--a bus where people buy tickets to travel at a certain time and expect them to be able to answer questions about delays and whether the bus was ever dispatched. Why is this company being allowed to do this? Again, this is an open, visible area. Had the bus arrived, I would have been on it and not on the phone trying to find out where it was. Neither the departure or the return could be taken. They wasted a lot of my time and a lot of my money and are acting like it was nothing.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

TERRIBLE experience with Megabus. Purchased a ticket from New York to Boston (10/21/2018 at 11:30AM). Reached the pickup spot on time only to find out that the bus was cancelled. WTF Megabus??? Learn to adhere to your commitments for your paying customers. This is one of the fundamentals of any business. There were more angry and frustrated customers at the pickup site. Megabus customer service employee asked us to get a refund or reschedule with absolutely no regards to the customer experience. To add to the Megabus misery, there weren't any buses to reschedule on that day. So, I had to miss a full day of work to reach Boston on Monday night. I would rather pay a little more to other transportation services to ensure my travel plans.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I had a round trip. The first trip to Nashville from Chattanooga, the bus was over a hour late. When me and my son got on the bus we went to our seats that WE paid for because he’s 5 and can’t sit next to anybody else and found out a guy bought the exact same seat. Coming back I am VERY DISSATISFIED with the company! We were supposed to be on the 10:10am bus from Nashville, TN to Chattanooga, TN and it was delayed over 4 hours. Every time I called customer service they were very rude and could not give me a ETA of the bus. They gave all of us different times and at one point told us it was not coming.

It was 45 degrees and I had my 5yr old son (who ended up laying on our bags with a blanket cause it was so cold.) as well as other upset customers. We had to wait outside the whole time because there was nowhere to go because it was Sunday and everything was closed. The app also did not have the tracker available also. When the driver did finally get there he was very rude and inconsiderate. I had tickets for an event also and missed it because of the bus being over 4 hrs late. I would never recommend this company and will NEVER ride with them again!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

A couple had reserved seats 1 and 2 but the driver insisted that those seats were reserved for the driver for "security reasons" but actually was where he had his personal duffel bag. When they demanded seats in the front, he tried to put me out of MY seat, #4, which I had reserved and paid for, saying it actually was NOT seat #4 (although it was clearly marked as such), but in the row behind. I was adamant that this was the seat I selected online, in the exact spot. He argued that the diagram online was for a double-decker bus and not this one, but I was sure that wasn't true.

When I made it clear that I was not moving, he then took his bag off seats 1 and 2, put it in the exterior bin, and then told the couple that they could sit there but they had to be quiet and not disturb him. I am sure this is not reflective of the customer service that Megabus strives for and I can't believe this driver would put his personal wants above the customer - and straight-face like to us! Unbelievable. He then announced to the whole bus that we would make a rest stop only if he felt like it, that we should've eaten before getting on the bus, and that "it ain't Megabus's job to feed y'all."

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I'll keep it brief: I booked my trip in early September, almost two months in advance, and ended up today waiting 3 hours for a bus that never arrived. I, and every other passenger, received no explanation, only an email informing us our bus had been cancelled before the workers told us anything; meanwhile, an empty Megabus idled for 2 hours right in front of us. The only reason I stuck around so long was because we were initially told we'd be put on the 3:45, then the 6. When I called the number in the cancellation email, I was told they could offer me a ride tomorrow. I told them that I was four hours from home and wasn't able to stay the night in the city unless they paid for a hotel room and was told they couldn't do anything. Ended up dropping 50$ on a ticket I did everything right for in the first place. Exhausted, miserable, and furious. Please don't trust Megabus. The stories really are true.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I arrived 20 minutes early, and waited two hours before giving up on this stupid company. I lost about 30$ with my departure ticket, and because I didn't go, I didn't need my return ticket, so another 30$ went down the drain. The worst part about it was I was extremely excited for my trip, only to be let down by the pathetic embarrassment that Megabus is. Do not purchase tickets from this company. You're better off spending a few extra dollars with Greyhound or Fullington than sticking with a bus company that doesn't even show up.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My trip on Thursday Oct. 4 was horrible! The driver pulled out the station about 30 min earlier than scheduled. I and my husband had to dart across traffic in order to catch the bus. There were several other passengers that were almost left until passengers demanded the bus driver turn around and depart the scheduled time listed. He lied and said our ticket info was incorrect but later recanted.

Then the bus driver got lost in Richmond. We drove around the area lost for about an hour; it was terrifying being on the bus with an unprepared driver. This is unacceptable!! I am disappointed with the service I received from your company and am requesting a full refund since the driver didn't respect my paid ticket fare anyway. We got to our destination about 3 hours late due your driver's lack of professionalism!! Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter. It's now Oct 8th & I still have not received a response from Megabus...very disappointment!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

October 1st 12:30 AM bus to New York from Washington DC. Delayed for 2 hours without any heads up. At 12:30 an employee comes and announces that bus is yet to arrive and it may take 1 hour. We see that there are a few empty buses. There was absolutely no effort to make other arrangement to get started early. Even after starting late there was a lane near Jersey City which was closed. Driver took that lane for some reason which no one knows. Apparently that lane was closed because of an accident. Every other lane is functional except for this lane. Driver took this lane when clearly it was written as closed. It has been more than 2 hours in that lane now.

Bus which was supposed to reach by 5:45. It's 8:30 and stuck in that lane and we have no clue how many more hours we need. Reason we take 12:30 bus is to make sure we get to our work. Absolute nonsense customer service and driver is even more dumb. Yeah Megabus is some 10$ cheap but it may cost you your job.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I tried to get a round trip ticket for my son and my payment kept being denied. I tried several cards using several devices over several days. I even tried having other people book the reservation but we all kept getting the same error. When I contacted customer service, they wanted to charge me $7 For booking over the phone. Their reasoning was that every card used must have been flagged for security purposes. My conclusion is that Megan is running a new SCAM to force people to pay the extra fee. Reporting to the State AG for investigation.

Megabus Company Information