1.20/5

681 Megabus Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 25, 2019

Bus schedule for 10:05 from LA to SJ still didn't arrive by 12:00... Almost 2 hours delay... Wow, what poor management. :( Didn't have those problems in Greyhound. Customer support has no idea where the bus is, and if it will arrive today and when. Seems they lost the bus. :( No more Megabus!!!

Original review: July 22, 2019

I have booked bus travel from Buffalo to New York, the bus leaving from Buffalo on 22 July 19 at 2.30 PM. It is now 3.20 PM and there is neither any sign of bus nor anyone from customer services of Megabus is ready to respond. I don’t know when the bus will arrive and we will be able to commence our travel to New York. Very sad state of affairs.

Original review: July 17, 2019

See for yourself- the website claims to have live tracking. They don’t track their buses with GPS - there is nothing live about their tracking feature. Megabus, stop lying!! If you want to pick up a rider, they will have to phone you from bus w their approximate arrival time. Without a phone call, you could be over an hour waiting on your rider. Megabus, stop lying!!

Original review: July 16, 2019

They took money from my credit card when I called to book for a ticket without giving me a reservation code. I called customer service to get it verified and everyone is so unprofessional. They all say different things and try to blame it on the customer. My advice is if you really want to reach your destination on time without paying double find an alternative transport - not MEGA BUS.

Original review: July 10, 2019

This is the first time me travelling using Megabus from Dallas TX to Memphis TN (07/07/2019). The bus was scheduled to leave at 11:10 PM in the evening and it got cancelled because they did not have a driver to drive. Had to wait till past midnight to get the confirmation about the refunds. They refused to reschedule me for the trip next morning and I had to buy very expensive ticket. And when I inquired about my refund they refunded me the ticket price but they said booking charge of $2.50 is non-refundable. This is horrible customer service. They were the ones to cancel the trip and still charging me $2.50 for nothing. This is the last time I travel with Megabus for sure.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Megabus?

Original review: July 9, 2019

This my review as a 1st time Megabus rider. I have a horrible experience. I bought my tickets and didn't notice that I was charge twice going to my destination and twice going back. I didn't noticed this until I was on my way home. On my way to my destination the reserved seats I purchased were already occupied when I boarded the bus. I was travelling with children so it was hard to have them sit with strangers. So today I called to asked customer service to refund my $200 for the extra tickets charged but the representative just keep telling me that the time to do something about it was already passed so he can't do anything about it. I asked for a supervisor and she said the exact thing. I never asked that money refund back to my credit card. All I asked is a voucher to use next time. But they don't have any other option to offer. Never I had heard a representative apologized for what had happened. It's so horrible.

I will never ride Megabus again or even recommend it to anyone. The drivers were not friendly either and the guy that checks the confirmation is half asleep. It's awful. The driver she didn't even offer to help. There might be new customers that hadn't taken Megabus before and she was just staring at her seat before the bus starts to load. Awful experience. Wish it was the other way around. I hate giving bad reviews on my experiences. I'm not a happy customer. Wish they could at least do something about it but they won't. So sad.

Original review: July 8, 2019

My 1st and last time! No more! Lots of problems going, and now returning, the same mind you the sin is out and there’s no traffic, the driver has announced will not continue driving. Co Will send a replacement. I’m shocked. By the way these people manage to survive as. Company!

Original review: July 5, 2019

My girlfriend and I bought tickets for the bus, and when we got there, we were told that we were not on the manifest so we could not ride. We had the confirmation number and email direct from Megabus, but this didn't seem to matter. We were accused of lying about having valid tickets, and when we asked what we should do, the driver and loaders told us to wait for the next bus three hours later. We were understandably not amused by this -- that would put us in Downtown LA (a dangerous area) at midnight, after the local public transport stops. Never mind the 3 hour delay -- it was gonna cost us at least another 50 bucks to get a taxi from the station to our final destination. That's not an acceptable compromise at all.

In response to our complaints, the driver exited the bus and confronted my girlfriend by standing directly in her face and screaming profanity at her. My girlfriend is petite and emotionally mature, so she stood like a rock, one inch from this the face of the screaming, swearing Megabus employee who threatened violence toward her several times. When I asked the driver to give me her name, her response was, "I wouldn't tell you my name is. Your ** was ** bleeding in the street."

The other Megabus employees [at least three of them] witnessed the altercation up close and did nothing but to instruct my girlfriend how to handle customer service and to report the bus driver. They also gave us false information on how to get on the next bus, which I only found out was false after speaking at length with customer service. Had we taken them at their word, we would still be at the side of the road, having been refused boarding (which, let's be clear -- all of our paperwork was completely in order) a second time.

The bus left, the employees left, and we were stranded to fend for ourselves on the road, which to be clear, is not a bus stop at all. It's just the side of the road, covered in gravel and broken glass, with no shade or bathroom, no nothing. We stood there for two hours in the midday heat, trying to sort this out. Of course, I immediately called customer service, and they were absolutely unsympathetic and unwilling to help us in any way. They told us to book the next trip (in 3 hours) and that we had to pay $5 each to do so. They would not even refund us the $5 change fee, and they refused to refund our money.

My girlfriend were both on the phone with their customer service department for over an hour, and we were hung up on a total of 5 times by supervisors. When I tried to clarify that they were trying to charge me 5 dollars to get onto the next bus, they hung on up me mid sentence. Shocking. When I requested a refund, they told me they would call me back within 10 minutes and then never called back.

We were denied our spot on a half-empty bus, my girlfriend was violently accosted by the bus driver, and customer service did nothing but hang up on us. This is beyond unacceptable. The bus driver should most certainly be fired, and we should be made whole by not only getting our money back but also getting a free ride back to Los Angeles. Megabus customer service offered us nothing and hung up on us, well aware that we were stranded on the street because of the actions of their company and employees. I was genuinely shocked that paying customers would be treated so rudely and with such disrespect.

The low ticket price is not worth it. They will dump you on the side of the road and then refuse to help you. This is one of the very scummiest companies I've had the misfortune to deal with, and I will warn everyone I can to never, ever, EVER use their services. Their customer service department is rude and unhelpful, and their drivers are verbally abusive to paying customers. This is an atrocious company, and you should take your business elsewhere.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I was left at the rest stop by being 2 mins late! I was in the rest room sick! Even though I had a reservation seat in front row and can’t be missed I was left! I saw the bus pulling out and called Megabus right then to have the bus turn around! The customer service rep kept me on phone for over 30 mins asking me questions! I am 5 hrs away from home - a senior and still sick! Their resolution is for me to wait 5 hrs for another bus! The driver said she waited 5 mins - how could that be when she was now pulling out and my time said I was 2mins late from being in rest room sick!!

Original review: July 1, 2019

June 30 2019 I had reservations on a 6:15 pm bus from Philadelphia to New York. The bus never showed up. I contacted customer service three times to asked where is the bus and no one could give me an answer. I waited until 7 pm then I had to find another way to get back to New York. Just note I arrived at the pickup location at 5 pm and there was already a few people waiting for a 5:15 pm bus. By 5:30 more people were arriving and asking questions about the bus. At 6:15 I made the first call to find out if my bus will be coming. I was told yes. No bus came. I called back Megabus the morning after my trip and at first I was still told my bus was just delayed. Only after pressing harder for a better reason I was told the bus was not stopping at that stop on June 30.

Megabus Company Information