Megabus

Compare Transportation & Rideshare Apps

Research top Transportation & Rideshare Apps recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been travelling on Megabus, for quite a few years (Chicago/Cleveland). I am originally from Cleveland, Ohio & return home at least 3 times month. On MAJOR HOLIDAYS (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Easter) They JACK UP THE PRICE, making GREYHOUND "WAY" CHEAPER, (ie: MEGA $89. OW vs GREYHOUND way less OW). AND they BRAG of $1.00 fares, when there is only "ONE" - (prices jump up to $39.00 on weekends, after a $1.00 fare is booked). The schedules always changing, making me have to rely on Greyhound, at times.

When I lived in Cleveland (they considered it a HUB), there was connections with Detroit/Buffalo/Columbus/Cincinnati & Pittsburgh. That was nice!!! THEN they eradicated those services. Megabus was going to Chicago/New York, & NOW that service is gone!!! Megabus PLAYS GOD - "Giveth then taketh away..." Not to mention always - relocating the stop to board the bus (Chicago), with NO SHELTER from the weather!!!

I booked a seat on Megabus from Reno, NV to San Francisco for my son. He was going there to catch an international flight. They cancelled the trip on the morning of the trip, saying that there was snow and it was dangerous. My son had to pay someone to drive him to Sacramento to catch Amtrak. He said there was absolutely no snow on the road and driving conditions were fine. Megabus clearly misrepresented the reason for canceling the trip, which was probably because they didn't have enough passengers. The result was that my son almost missed his flight. Megabus is a sleazy outfit and I will tell as many people as I can not to use them.

Megabus chose to cancel their travel from San Francisco to Reno at Christmas for second year now that we have booked. They reserve the right to cancel the morning of the trip due to weather warnings of any degree. This year they chose to reschedule our son's trip on Christmas day. We did not select this trip and found another way to get our son to Reno. When we called customer service they were rude and when asked to speak to management they disconnected the call. After calling within days they continued in the same fashion. Sending an email resulted in them denying a refund to the rescheduled booking which we did not make. For anyone booking with Megabus be aware of their cancellation policies which will not give you a refund and you may not have the trip that you wanted.

Booked a trip for my mom, which was two hours late arriving from her first location. Due to this, she would be missing her connecting bus. Called customer service 3-4 times prior to her arrival in the destination and asked for supervisors to assist with getting her another connecting bus and was told there is nothing they could do until she arrived at her ATL terminal. She needs to have an open window of at least two hours to be re-routed without being charged. Call back when she gets there and they will help. Of, course they are closed when she arrives at 1:30 am. :-( Called this morning to get this matter resolved and was hung up on by the so called manager. I'm not cursing and my voice is not elevated -- just asking questions. And hung up in my face!!! Do NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Where do I begin. First let me begin with I missed my bus by a second. So I then began to purchase another ticket for the next morning. Secondly, I arrive a little early to avoid missing the bus again. Boy was I wrong. The bus was originally an hour late. Then the bus driver gets into a physical altercation with another passenger. Megabus is truly a ghetto and unprofessional company. The driver jumps on the bus and speeds off. Of course he apologized for the horrible display of character but that wasn't good enough. There's children on the bus as well. They were all crying and afraid because of the violence displayed by the bus driver and the passenger. Once the bus driver speeds off, he proceeds to hop on the expressway only to drive us back to the originally departure location.

I'm in Chicago and was suppose to leave at 8:45. It is now 12 in the afternoon and we have to wait for another bus driver. Who's schedule to be here at 1. You guys, PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE AND BOOK GREYHOUND OR anything other than Megabus. I'm not sure what the qualifications are to become a Megabus driver but it couldn't be much because this company is RATCHET!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Megabus?

My son had a bus scheduled from Grand Rapids MI to Chicago where he was flying out of O'Hare. The bus still didn't show an hour later. Megabus was called and they said it would be there in 20 minutes. At this point he decided to drive because he would never make it to his flight on time. Megabus refused to give his money back for the bus that if he waited for would have made him miss the flight. Customer service was the rudest and worst that I have ever experienced with a company. I will never use Megabus again and will advise that no one ever use their services. The company does not deserve to continue to stay in business.

One hour into a ride from DC to NYC one of the windows on the top deck of the bus dislodged and fell on the highway barely missing a car. As a result of this I missed my flight and was not able to return home for another day and in addition to that had to miss a very important meeting. Which is why I chose to use Megabus to get home in time for the flight to get to the meeting. When the windows on the top deck of the bus dislodged and fell on the highway, the bus driver didn't notice so we yelled for him to stop the bus. He then accused the passenger sitting by the bus of trying to open the window, however the woman was sleeping before the incident. We were on the side of the road for over an hour. No announcement was made in regards to next steps and time frames.

When the bus did appear again no announcement and riders were left to figure out what to do next which caused a great deal of chaos as people scrambled to go from one bus to another on the side of the road in the rain. I called Megabus to request a refund and dealt with a very rude customer service representative. He told me he doesn't see any reason for compensation. I asked if there was any notations about the incident. His only reply "MMM HMMM." He then told me I must send an email to request compensation. I asked to speak to a manager to which he says they don't have managers. I challenged this and he told me "well they will tell you what I just told you." I said "that is fine. I would prefer to hear it again." He laughed, started singing then put me on hold. He never came back. I held like a fool for 20 minutes. I called back and was immediately told to file the complaint. I am appalled by this traumatic, dangerous and frustrating experience.

I purchased a ticket and for some reasons my travel plan changed so today I called the customer service. Asked two questions about trade in. When I asked my third question the guy hung up on me. It is very disrespectful.

I see these buses almost daily during my commute. Once the bus swerved into my lane forcing me to swerve into another lane. Twice I've seen the driving in the breakdown lane to avoid traffic. I've been on hold for 26 minutes trying to reach Corp headquarters. Today when I called the Indian sounding guy hung up on me when I asked what follow was going to happen.

My son was on a scheduled bus leaving Ann Arbor, MI. at 10am to arrive in Chicago, Il. at 2:30pm. They sat on the side of the road in Holland, MI because of a flat tire; this happened at 1:10pm and it is now 7:30pm and the passengers are still on the bus waiting for a repair. There is nowhere for them to go and eat or pee, or anything. What the hell is wrong with this company? When you call the customer service department it turns out to be a call center. They had no idea what the status was of this bus. NEVER will I let my kids ride this bus again. The buses should not be allowed to be on the roads.

I purchased a megabus ticket to go to Minneapolis Minnesota. My bus was suppose to leave at 8:30pm, however I missed the bus due to bus stop change. Why is there no consistency in the stops for Megabus? However I called customer service to let them know the matter. Representative was very rude showing no empathy or concern whatsoever. I then asked to speak with the Manager. Maybe just maybe I would get some results seeing that I am a paying customer. Man was I wrong.

The Manager gets on the phone rude not knowing how to speak to a customer. She said that I would have to pay for the 11:40pm bus? I mean people are paying customers and should get treated with respect, not ripped off and told purchase another ticket for something that wasn't their fault. I have been traveling with Megabus for years and I am just disappointed in the service I was provided today seeing that it never happened. I will not be traveling via Megabus anymore due to these unfair circumstances. I will not recommend this service to a friend.

Megabus is only good for one thing; cheap price. You must be prepared and expect that the cheap price will also equal low service. The stops are typically outside. The only way to communicate to their "Customer Service" (for lack of a better term) is via telephone and I'm not sure if they're even in the United States. We called about a bus that was scheduled to leave Richmond, VA at 8:10p traveling to Hampton, VA. When we called, we were hung up on twice after asking to speak with a supervisor who may be able to better explain the delay even though we were very calm.

Each time we called regarding the whereabouts of the bus, we were given a scripted answered "the bus is delayed due to high traffic in the area, please call back in 10 mins for update"; however, there was NEVER an update. We also found out that another bus, outside of Megabus, would be coming but no estimated time of arrival. The substitute bus finally arrived 50 mins late. If you're looking for a cheap adventure, Megabus would be PERFECT for you. Also, be sure to travel with a buddy to keep you calm and occupied in dealing with the entire ordeal.

I rode the Megabus on two separate occasions trying to save money for other things and my experience was HORRIBLE. The buses are always late arriving but not leaving. The drivers don't seem friendly or like they even appreciate having a job nowadays. My latest experience was the most unacceptable customer service ever! My reservation was to leave CHI/TN at 8:50 am in which I get an email notification one hour before stating the bus will be leaving hour later now at 9:50 am. I then receive another email notification the bus will be leaving at the original scheduled time. Please be advised this is all in the same morning last minute emails.

I then called customer service for verification and was told by someone in NJ call center the bus is still leaving late so when I arrive 45 min early, I was told the bus left. I spoke to a manager Asha who was unapologetic and understanding with Megabus internal glitch. She begins to try and tell me what my responsibility is versus how to fix their internal mistake. I was then forced to purchase a one way ticket for rescheduling as if I did something wrong. Honestly you get what you pay for. If you can affords to travel Greyhound please do so!

I purchased a ticket and they would not allow the young man to board the bus neither would they refund the ticket. I called customer service and they were rude. Before even knowing my issue they wanted me to know they were not refunding my money. Absolutely RUDE!!!

This afternoon when I getting ready to head back to Bishop today, My phone had rang and turned out be nephew. It was brought to my attention that this bus driver would not help him in any shape or form then laughed at him. My nephew was diagnosed with cancer and this wheelchair is his way to get around. I specifically remember my sister calling and explained that they had needed wheelchair accessible.

Was very excited when Megabus added service between Grand Rapids, Mi and Ann Arbor. Was I wrong!!! The instructions said to arrive 15 min early. Bus was over an hour late. Very dark, no shelter at the bus station. Called customer service - they have no clue about when a bus should arrive or if it's late. I find that hard to believe in the day of GPS. EMAIL, CELL phones that you cannot not advise if your bus is late. I can track a FEDEX package!!! Don't even think the call center I got was in the USA, very uncaring, robot like. Paid extra for a confirmed seat, That didn't happen, they sent another bus. So no reserved seating. Biggest complaint, LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE, HORRIBLE, VERY LONG DELAYS, they should at least send out a text or email advising if a delay over 30 min.

** sucks. Took off from MA to NY, The bus said free Wi-Fi and power outlets. I got on the bus and they were doing work on it right in front of us with a loud drill (mind you, it's 6-7 in the morning, once we start going the driver says the Wi-Fi doesn't work and that there's no power. My way back from NY to MA, had a reservation for 2:15 to head back, I copied the address off the website to go to the bus stop. I waited from 1:45 to 2:30 and no bus arrived. So I called customer service and I got hung up on. I walked around the corner and seen another bus stop and talked to a worker. They said my bus had left. The website gave me the wrong bus stop address. I called customer service once again and right as I told them what had happened I got hung up on again. Finally, a third time, I made a point that I would call all day and mentioned how everyone was such ** and miserable people.

A guy from customer support said I had to pay $5 for each ticket when the next bus stops which was in 4 hours. I was checked out of my hotel, had a couple of heavy bags with me and a phone on 50% and I was forced to wait 4 hours for the next bus. And I know $5 a seat with only two seats isn't a lot of money but I think it's ** that I had to pay more money when I had already paid $130 for the round trip bus tickets for their ** up mistake. Highly don't recommend this bus company unless you want your trip to suck there and back.

Purchase a ticket for 2 different days to leave for a funeral and then come back but they sent them, switch my tickets to leave it out the same day from two different cities, fake computer malfunction and they don't charge me and take my money and tell me it's no, I can't get a refund. It because their system messed up.

I am writing a review about Mega Bus. This the third time I've rode Megabus. I can only remember three drivers names Henry, Steve, Marjorie. I felt extremely comfortable riding with them. They were very professional and the ride could not have been any smoother.

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE customer service! DO NOT RIDE!!!! My brother showed the wrong transaction email and was not allowed on the bus. The email had the price of the ticket, time and date of purchase and transaction ID. He was not allowed to board the bus. Megabus would not change the reservation, give a refund, or allow him to board the bus. I called customer service. It was a waste of time. They just told me all I can do is purchase another ticket. JERMAINE, a SUPERVISOR, hung up in my face while I was speaking with him! I cannot believe the rudeness of the customer service supervisor.

We travel out from VA to Atlanta round trip on megabus. The day we were scheduled to leave we get there at 930 for 10 am bus and our bus is cancelled out nowhere so they lied and claim they sent us email... No email sent... Then they lied and stated there were anymore buses going to Richmond today. Another lie. Then we spoke to the rudest customer service ever who didn't want to stay phone and help us. I Hate megabus and will never use again. If you know like I know find a different source of transportation. Don't waste your time or money... We will be sitting here for next 10 hours waiting for another bus out on the street because it's not a station.

I left one Blue Kipling bag on Oct 06,2016 from LOS - LAS. I called right away the customer service and ask me to send the emails to their lost and found department. And I got a reply two days after (Oct 08) by saying that it took approximately 7-10 business days to receive a response from their lost and found department for they must undergo a thorough investigation.

And Oct 10, another emails came which said that they were unable to locate my recently lost baggage. Then Oct 12, They sent me mails and gave me a number to called. As I'm leaving US now so I ask my friend who is staying in STATE to make a call and said that they were unable to located my bag and if there's any update so they will contact my friend back.

The things that I couldn't understand is How come that they don't have any idea where my bag is right now. As I met One Guy from Megabus in Vegas Bus Station, he said he found my bag and He gave my bag to the driver to handed over with the Lost and Found department. As FYI from Vegas they do have only 3 destinations (Anaheim CA, Los Angeles CA , Riverside CA). And I don't think so that they don't have the Driver contact number and where did the driver go after Vegas. Called him and Investigate. Anyway, I'm just Hoping that I will get my bag back. Thanks.

I purchased a bus ticket for my soon to be wife and unborn child from Chicago to Memphis only because I couldn't get her when she was ready to go so her bus was scheduled to leave at 8 pm so she was there at 7:15 so the whole time I'm on the phone with her. As buses started to pull up she wasn't sure of which bus being her first time. So seven months pregnant she asked one bus driver was he driving the bus to Memphis and his response was, let's just say nothing nice.

So her and two more ladies were looking for the same bus and due to the unfriendly service when they got a answer from the only driver that likes his job they were told that the bus had just pulled off. So my pregnant wife to be and the other ladies were left on the side of the road on a cold Chicago night all because rude unhappy employees and no one cares but I will talk to the other ladies and then go from there before I let them endanger my family but don't use Megabus. They're cruel crooks.

My son booked a ticket from Des Moines to Chicago. Although the passengers were not informed why, he texted that their bus would be arriving about an hour late. About an hour after that text, he called to inform us that the bus was at a gas station about an hour and 25 minutes outside of Chicago and that the driver had met his maximum driving hours so Megabus had to dispatch a relief driver. I called to inquire why they would assign a driver who would be unable to complete the trip without exceeding his driving hours and to ask WHEN the relief driver would arrive to drive the rest of the way into Chicago. The FIRST time I called I was told they had no information and then I was hung up on. I called again and connected to someone who seemed like he wanted to help and was trying to reach dispatch to get some answers but then the phone line was "dropped".

I call a THIRD time and was told that a driver had been dispatched but that they couldn't give me any idea of how far he was to the bus. I asked to speak to a supervisor who just apologized again but did not provide any information. Again, he was rude and condescending. In the time I've been on the phone, I could have been well on my way to pick my son up and bring him home myself. It is completely unacceptable that they have no idea how far away the relief driver is or how long the passengers will waiting on the bus. I have NEVER experienced such incompetence. Totally dissatisfied.

My boyfriend and I rode on the Megabus on September 11th from Omaha to Iowa City. Everything was fine with the ride but as soon as the bus was gone we had realized that we had forgotten our Nintendo 3DS on the bus with a game from GameFly in it. I contacted the lost and found through email on the same day and received an email a day later saying that they have the Nintendo 3DS and that I needed to contact them to get it back. I then proceeded to play phone tag with lost and found for 2 weeks until they stopped responding. My boyfriend finally got a hold of them and they said we needed to set up a FedEx account to get it back, which was no big deal to us.

A few days later my boyfriend contacted Nintendo to see about transferring games and found out that the Nintendo 3DS had been wiped and a new account had been added to it on September 15th, four days after the ride, sending an email, and receiving an email that it was found. The 3DS was $200 not including the large amount of digitally downloaded games on it and the fee to GameFly for the lost game. An email was sent to inquiries and nothing has been heard from since.

Megabus has the worst customer service I've ever experienced in my life! I had several issues with purchasing my ticket because I had to trade them in for a different time and they charged me almost fifty bucks! And then the bus that was taking my son to Chicago arrived 2 hours late and they will not compensate me, they will only give me $25 towards another ride, which I will never use their service again! Do not use!!!

The whole megabus experience started out badly when I was unable to find the bus stop going from Chicago to Madison. Apparently I was at the right bus stop,

***************Note to approver: review found here https://www.yelp.com/biz/megabus-chicago?hrid=Nj9fbM1XnnifFOh32PltWg&utm_campaign=www_review_share_popup&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=(direct)******************

but asking people around as it was only 5 minutes left for departure, and no sign of a megabus, I was guided to another bus stop 4 blocks away, where there was another megabus, going somewhere else. I asked about the destination, and got a rude reply. Explaining customer service my situation, I understood that I had to buy a new ticket for 47 USD, a lot more than my previous one, and that I couldnt buy it on the bus. The bus was acually a Van Gelder Coach USA bus, and one can purchase tickets on the bus for 30 USD! Now I dont expect a five star experience, just to be able to find the bus and get to my destination, not to be ripped off and just regular good manners from the people working here. Going back to Chicago I chose Van Gelder. Im am very displeased with your service and have posted very negative reviews in all public forums I could think of. Please, megabus, do better.

I am so so unhappy right now. Very rude guy I spoke with telling him "I need to reschedule my ticket" and said "I can't" and just hang up on me without letting me finish talking. Like am so pissed right now. Bad customer service. This is the 3rd time I will be experiencing this from Megabus.

I recently booked a ticket from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Atlanta, Georgia about two weeks ago. This was one of the worse travel decisions I have ever made. I arrived to the dimly lit, dangerous bus stop at 9:15 for a 10:00 p.m. bus that NEVER SHOWED. I called the customer service line at 10:15 asking where the bus was and they said they didn't have GPS on the bus so they didn't know where the bus was. She just told me to continue to wait at the bus stop for the bus to show up... So, I waited... And waited and waited... Finally, at 10:45, I left. The person who brought me to the bus stop works nights and wasn't going to wait all night for a bus that might not ever show. He wasn't going to dare leave me there because mind you, the bus stop is in a very dangerous part of town. In addition, it's not lit whatsoever!!!

That next Monday I called customer service letting them know my plight. I kept getting emails stating I would not get a refund. So, I emailed Corporate. I did get a response but nothing has been resolved. I called customer service again today and once again, instead of listening to my issue, the man on the phone just kept saying, "You're not getting a refund." In addition, he kept referring me to email the same people that I had already been emailing for over a week with no resolve!!!

I'm going to keep on calling and emailing until I get my money back. At this point, it's not about the money they owe me, but the principle. How dare they offer a service, get paid and when it comes time to complete the service, they are nowhere to be found. That is flat out thievery. Oh yeah, I failed to mention there was an older lady at the same bus stop waiting on the 8 p.m. bus that NEVER SHOWED UP. I should have paid heed to all of the HORRIBLE reviews this company gets on various sites. I don't care how cheap the ticket is, save your money and a headache.

I was able to travel with my child round trip for 56.00. This was my first time using Megabus, and my daughter and I are already planning future trips. The WiFi didn't work, but I am not sure why but for the price I paid... No big deal. The Drivers were polite and I am grateful for the service.

Megabus Company Profile