1.37/5
Based on 67 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 21, 2018

581 Megabus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

I am reviewing Megabus so people understand what they are letting themselves in for. I have taken Megabus New York to Philadelphia without incident but to Boston, we stopped to change driver after 90 minutes which seemed weird and was not explained. We arrived more than an hour late than advertised though I am not sure why as there was not much traffic. Return trip departed Boston at 5 pm. At 5.45 pm the bus dies on the road. At 6.30 pm State Troopers have to intervene because Megabus has a lane closed and 70 people on the side of the highway and doesn't seem to be doing anything (they told us they sent another bus from Boston that would take 90 minutes and then that bus broke down).

Police get local buses to drive us to a rest stop where we wait for about four hours, being repeatedly told it'll be 30 minutes. New bus finally arrives and we proceed to drive about an hour before he pulls over to "fill in paperwork"!! Apparently not looking at a map we finally see New York in the distance only to hit a massive traffic slowdown the driver could have avoided. THEN he goes over the bridge into New Jersey adding another 30 mins to the trip. Due in at 9 pm we finally arrived in New York at 2 am.

Original review: April 30, 2018

The saying goes: you get what you pay for. Megabus fare is a bit cheaper than Greyhound but the service is very poor. Their website was malfunctioning the whole day yesterday so I could not book a ticket until last night. I booked a ticked from MPLS to Chicago. After I paid for the ticket, it showed the trip was from Chicago to MPLS. I changed the ticket right way and was charged extra $5.50 for the fees. I asked for a refund as it was not my fault. I talked to an agent then a supervisor. They were as cold as they could be. They said it is their policy: no refund will be given. Their bus toilet is filthy. Please do not ride Megabus and get yourself upset.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation & Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My son started going away to college in 2011. I have been using Megabus since then. The Megabus hires the rudest employees from bus drivers to representatives to supervisors for the representatives. I will say there are some exceptions to this rule. However it seems like the nice ones rarely stay. I had a recent incident today in which the supervisor refused to help me or even give me his name and hung up the phone on me when I asked for his name! No I wasn't mean. I said, "Can I please have your name," and he started saying due to regulation on Megabus he cannot be on... blah blah blah... while I kept asking for his name loud and clear. I would say, "Excuse me give me your name please..." I have had many incidents with Megabus and WITNESSED others as well.

Usually I try to avoid calling them... even when they mess up... which is a lot! They make bad situations worse. I think the representatives are purposely rude to customers and enjoy it. Once a new bus driver who was clearly prejudice asked me which stop my son was getting off of... no one else with luggage, did he ask... I told him where. He told me my son would have to pay extra or get off the bus. He acted like I was being sneaky... But I had an app on the phone and it just said Albany. It didn't say which stop in Albany but the cost was the same anyway... So first he said I cannot have the tickets on the phone... "Tickets cannot be on the phone," he said... That the phone version was not real he said. I asked him to look on his log. He said he didn't have one.

Then he told me my son would have to get off of the bus or pay extra... when it's the same price for both stops. I am usually a quiet mother of 2 who is considered weak and meek by many. But I am not weak or timid, I pick my battles. I don't like dealing with Megabus customer service at all because it doesn't matter how professional or nice you are... They will not show you that same courtesy! There will always be a battle. Today I lost some money dealing with the faulty Megabus website and I tried to get help before I lost the money. It could've been avoided because I called them an hour before the cut off. All I got was aggravated.

I still ended up losing the money. I have tickets for until September 2018. After that time I will never buy Megabus tickets again. Not only did I lose a lot of money through Megabus... I also lost a lot of peaceful time with my family by getting misinformation and rudeness to nastiness from Megabus employees. From being stranded on broken buses or in the freezing cold waiting for hours for late buses and then calling customer service and told I must have missed the bus hours ago, even though there were tens of people online with me for the same trip time... Them telling me all of us will have to pay for new last minute tickets! That we all missed the bus and hanging up. Other people calling... I have lots of stories... And I guess we are all here because we have similar stories with Megabus! That says a lot.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This is my first and last Megabus ride, and I regret that I have recommended this to others. It smells like ** and there is no air on the top level, though there is air on the lower level. It is miserable. The seats on the top level are very narrow. Either get a seat on the lower level or think twice before riding at all. I guess Mama was right: you get what you pay for.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Today I took my boyfriend to his bus stop at 11:50 am for his 12:10 pm bus from State College to NYC. A bus arrived at 12:17 pm that said New York > State College > Pittsburgh. Obviously he did not board that bus, because it said it was going to Pittsburgh. After waiting an additional 30 minutes I contacted Megabus to see when the bus would arrive and they told me that the Pittsburgh bound bus was in fact the NYC bound bus. The next NYC bus will not be arriving until 1:40 am tomorrow, which in itself is extremely annoying but even worse they refused to refund the first ticket and required him to purchase the second ticket.

I spoke with a manager and he told me it was our fault, because we should have asked the bus driver if the Pittsburgh bus was mismarked and was actually intended for NYC. I can't even comprehend how Megabus feels that their mistake is our fault and refuses to do anything to resolve the situation. The worst customer service I have ever experienced. Extremely dissatisfied with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Megabus?

Original review: April 9, 2018

Arrived at the Burbank, Ca station at 6:50am. The bus was scheduled to arrive at 7:35am and when it arrived the driver would not leave the bus to load luggage or to check my reservation number. Made eye contact and tried to motion for him to open the door and he backed the bus up and pulled off. Wasn't parked for 3 minutes. Called customer service to complain and they said it's nothing that they could do. WORST SERVICE EVER, steal your $ and deny you service.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I made a reservation 1 month prior to my trip. 15 hours before departure I get an email from Megabus that my reservation has been cancelled and I have to find an alternate bus. No assistance from customer service at all. Do not rely on Megabus to get you to your destination on schedule. Awful service. I will never use Megabus again.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I purchased a ticket to go to Vegas and had to change for the next week. I did it 9 hours in advance of departure time and had an $8 credit which I couldn’t use (no issue), but once I finished my purchase I went back to review two days later and it was not there (which is today), and tried contacting Megabus and they won’t even acknowledge I paid for change. They only can charge me again for another ticket. I don’t even want to give them a star for services. They are so janky.

Original review: April 1, 2018

My nephew's luggage was taken off the bus on 29 March by another passenger who notified me immediately. I contacted the bus right away and provided the passenger's information. I keep getting different information from different representative. My nephew has no clothes and I am told I have to wait 5 days for someone from lost and found to contact me. I can't get manager to talk to me.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I purchased my ticket from Megabus because on the website it says that there "WIFI" and "outlet". Due to my work it was very important to be able to work on the bus during my travel. However, when I got in the bus, I realized that there was NEITHER WiFi NOR outlet to be able to work with my laptop. That was the only reason and criteria I preferred Megabus! So, if your time is important and planning to get some work done during your trip, DO NOT CHOOSE MEGABUS!

Original review: March 21, 2018

Tried to get a friend a ticket from Tampa to Louisville Kentucky. IMPOSSIBLE!!! Finally gave up. My wife and I rode to Orlando from Tampa to change buses to go to Atlanta... Got to Orlando about 12:30 am and bus stop was closed until 5:00 am. Cold and dark outside didn't discourage us but the drunks coming out of the bars did. They even told us we shouldn't be in that neighborhood. Spent $15 for taxi to Waffle House and stayed there till 5:00 am. Megabus should have left their station open for safety sake for the 5 hours from midnight to 5:00 am. If we had been accosted, I would have been complaining in a bigger way than this.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Bus delayed by over 3 hours. On May 18th, 2017, my Megabus trip from Rochester, NY to New York scheduled to depart around midnight was still not there at 3 am when we left. Throughout that time, multiple passengers came and left by carpooling in taxis. I waited longer than most because Megabus was much more affordable for my budget than Trailways and Greyhound. However! Please, please, please don't use Megabus - it's not worth the savings if you have to travel because in this case, I had to pay for a Trailways ticket the next morning! Megabus not only didn't refund the transportation I had to buy to get me where I needed to go, but they didn't even refund the ticket for the bus that left many people stranded on the street in Rochester, NY in the middle of the night. PLEASE, don't EVER use Megabus!!!

Original review: March 17, 2018

On Friday, March 16, I had a 6 PM bus from DC scheduled to arrive in NY at 10:15 pm. I left work early to make it to this bus. When we were only 15 min from the bus station, we broke down for 1 hour! They wouldn't tell us anything! When we called Megabus they told us to call in 10 min for updates and that compensation could not be offered until the trip was completed. We watched the 7 PM bus drive past us! Eventually, I guess they figured we could risk using a defective bus, and we continued with our trip.

When we were 40 min from our destination, the bus stopped again to switch the driver!!! No explanation offered as we waited for 1 hour for a new driver. I was again told that compensation would not be determined until the trip was over. After arriving in NY at 12:45 am, I was exhausted and my plans were ruined. I called this morning (Saturday) and I was basically told to read the fine print. No refunds. This is NOT OK. Why are they allowed to get away with this shoddy behavior!? I would give them negative stars if I could.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I went to address in Minnesota where the bus stop was supposed to be. Got there at 5 pm to catch a 5:20 Bus. After waiting and trying to contact Megabus I finally found where the bus stop really was and was informed the bus had just left. There were no signs or anything letting me know I had to go up a flight of stairs and walk across a skywalk over the highway to get to the actual bus stop. Then customer service apologized but said they couldn't credit me for another ticket. I just lost my money. Not to mention losing my money for the Amtrak ticket for the train I was supposed to catch when I got to Chicago. I use to rave about Megabus but now I am done. Customer service stinks!!! If you are traveling from Minnesota please beware.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I take Megabus once a month to visit NYC for the day from Buffalo NY, I look at it this way for a buck each way or ten dollars to NYC. I am getting what I paid for, only thing why isn't Megabus at the Port Authority in NYC bus stop is all the way by the river at 34th and 12th OUTSIDE? No bathrooms nearby and we have to stand by a fenced in place with trailers and probably BILLIONS of rats running around.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

First, it’s not my first trip with Megabus, but this time we had an issue. One of our friends were oblige to change his reservation to a different trip. As a person who booked the ticket for the whole group I called the Megabus and the representative and the supervisor. Her name was (Sally), were so rude and not professional at all, and literally it took 30 min just to fixed this issue. Anyway, I get upset and I took a promise it will be my last time using Megabus and I’ll convince all my friends do not use this transportation company...

But what happen later, we took the trip heading back to San Francisco from Burbank station, the driver changed. The total idea I get it about this company, from the first second, her smile, the way how she treat the passengers, her driving... extremely professional and I didn’t expect that... Megabus should have more employees like (Myoshi **) just to succeed more. Now I’ll give it another try, just because of the last impression, thanks Myoshi. You let me feel again that not all people are similar.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I've been pleased with Megabus.com. I've taken it regularly going back to Thanksgiving 2011 when I had delayed for too long getting a ticket and other transit options that I was aware of had completely filled up. I think I had seen the buses on the road before that but I didn't know it ran from Durham, NC to Washington, D.C. I've continued taking it. There is also Amtrak and Greyhound, but my default choice is Megabus.com. Especially going back from D.C. to Durham my sense is that it is usually the least crowded of those three. Going north from Durham to D.C. is usually more crowded, but one doesn't need to switch buses at Richmond, and the train can be nice but sometimes it gets behind another train and then there can be a big delay. A few times on Amtrak when that happened they gave passengers free treats. Honestly - with any transit option - it can't be perfect, but I've been pleased so far with Megabus.com.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

While attempting to purchase a ticket from the Megabus website, it tells me constantly my credit card information is wrong when it clearly isn't. After numerous attempts and phones calls, they suggest waiting a half hour which in that time the price goes up. If you book on the phone, they charge you an unreasonable and unexplainable fee of $7. They are 100% unsympathetic toward any issue you're having and are only concerned with getting you off the phone.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

The worst customer service experience I've ever had! After making reservation online noticed I set the calendar to wrong month, called within 15 mins. to change date and was charged a 7.00 fee and the price was hiked by 13.00 dollars. I could have booked another ticket online at lower price but would not get a refund for wrong date ticket. Offshore customer service department was very rude and offered nothing other than scripted response in bad english! WILL NEVER USE AGAIN!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Megabus has a very disgusting service, brand. I tried so many times to have faith on these people and I hope never in my life again to be put in a position that will offer me their bus as my only option. These people lie that if you call in advance they can make arrangement. They always change the number of days or hours they will tell you if you could have called maybe they would have helped you. Last time I schedule a bus for midnight and it showed up on Friday schedules based on the date I choose. A might-night will show up on the date of Friday schedules and when you arrive for your trip. They will change stories on people saying it is midnight for Saturday morning. Many people are experiencing this matter and they do not even give a damn to fix this problem for to continue stealing money from people. They hire ** as managers, employees.

The last time I booked a trip in Montreal (which I don't have any relatives, nor contact of people I have little knowledge of, and on a tight budget) to get to Toronto and I had to take a bus from another city to arrive at their Montreal terminal, which took me 3 hours to arrive and I waited about 4-5 hours for the bus. These people cold heartedly push me aside and allowed the bus to go when there were lot of seats available stating they're reserve and I am very sure they arrived in Toronto not that full and they could have made some arrangement knowing that many people experience. They showed no understanding on common sense mistake of the bus time and date displaying on their website. When I am travelling with Greyhound, whatever midnight that shows up on the list of the date I picked, is the time the bus will arrive and they always put the date in bracket for the time so people will not be confuse.

But Megabus showed no mercy in allowing a woman to be left in a city she doesn't know anyone to be left at night with no place to go. I slept outside and I had to go to Greyhound bus terminal through asking people around for to get a place to sleep. Megabus is not merciful enough to even allow me to sleep inside their terminal while waiting for the next bus they suggested me and expect me to make another payment for. They don't even consider clients and they close their terminals too early. I bought a departing and return ticket. I contact these animals in advance to cancel my return trip and refund my money from the way they treated me since I would not be able to be in the city that I supposed to take my return trip. They gave me an email to file for my complain. These people and it is now 3 months. They never bother to send me letter of apology or reply to my email.

I wish these people will run out of business. They just took my $200-$300 without apology nor without any arrangement on booking me for the next bus. And this animal that was in charge who called myself the manager of the Montreal bus terminal tells me to go get an hotel as if he will be the one paying it for me, he locked the terminal, and walked past me and drove his car away. I can define this ** as racist and sexist because I am a ** woman and he is a ** idiotic man. What if I got killed or rape that night? Megabus does not give a damn besides their greeds.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

The Megabus is not right at all. It will be the last time I ride on one and their Wi-Fi suck and then they rob you for the money you pay for your date. They switch the ticket date but I'm glad I'm home now and they should feel bad that why the bus look like that because if a person misses a bus you can't get no refund and that ** up.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I will never ride Megabus again. I have been a loyal customer for years. Yesterday, our bus was cancelled and today it had no heat in 11 degree weather and broke down. They then told us we could wait for 2 hours for it to get fixed, on the freezing bus. When I called to get a refund for my trip, they told me I had to wait until the bus reaches its final destination before they can deem if I should get the refund or not. I would much rather pay the extra money to take a train than to EVER take Megabus again!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

On its way from Atlanta to Washington DC the bus broke down. After waiting for hours, the bus driver still couldn't say when we would drive again. Had to order a Lyft instead to get to Washington DC. Customer service is insanely bad for travelers from abroad. They don't care about your situation. The only compensation from their unacceptable trip were partial redemption codes valid for a year, and it tooks weeks to finally hear that after multiple emails. They were not willing to compensate differently. I do not recommend this provider for foreign travelers. In the end, Megabus is more expensive and you get bad customer service afterwards. No thanks.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I don't understand how Megabus can advertise that they have an "A" rating with the BBB with their shady business practices. They do not offer refunds or allow you to cancel a trip and use the ticket at a later date in a fair business practice. They will allow you to "Cancel" a trip (for an additional fee), but state that you have ONLY 10 minutes to reschedule another trip. I was forced to reschedule a trip that I wasn't prepared to schedule and then lost the money I paid for the return trip. I don't understand how they are able to get away with treating customers this way. I am requesting an investigation into their business practices.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Took a bus from the Toronto Airport for the thousandth time. My suitcase (which stood up to the most horrendous handling of trans-oceanic flights) suffered a shattered handle. Intentionally done. Vandalism. Never ride with that ** COMPANY.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017 CHARGED DOUBLE FOR DISABLED PASSENGER TICKETS FOR 12/22/17 - 12/27/17. I called tonight 12/18/17 to your customer service number 1-877-462-6342 after reviewing my credit card account. You charged my account DOUBLE the cost for the trip of two disabled adults. When I made the reservations on-line, the amount for the special need/disabled adult tickets for a round trip tickets (12/22/17 - 12/27/17) to/from New Orleans, La to Atlanta Ga was $110.00 each plus taxes. Upon speaking with your customer service agent Patricia, who was very nice and understanding, said she would refund ONE OF THE TWO TRIPS made in

error. Patricia stated that she would refund the following tickets: ** & **. Afterwards, Patricia put me on hold to get her supervisor's approval. I was on hold for several minutes before she came back declining the refund.

At that time, I asked to speak with a supervisor and she referred me to Crystal, Call Center Supervisor. Ms. Crystal said Patricia was in error in saying ONE of the TWO trips would be refunded but instead they would offer a REDEMPTION/CREDIT. At that time, I explained to Ms. Crystal that the website is flawed when it comes to making reservations for disabled passengers and it charged me twice. I explained that I have personally made reservation for Megabus before without issues and when I paid for the tickets for this trip it did not say $423.00 instead it was 220.00 plus tax and I booked it.

At this time, I explained to Ms. Crystal I was unhappy with the choice, the trip is scheduled for 12/22/17 and 12/27/17, I would be calling my bank and ADA to complain. Ms Crystal indicated that I could contact someone at INQUIRESMEGABUS.COM. THIS IS THEIR RESPONSE: "We're sorry for the misunderstanding. Unfortunately we are unable to issue a refund for error booking. As supervisor stated, a 100% redemption code can only be issued for the reservations booked in error. To avoid errors in the future make sure to confirm your details before you complete your purchase. Please let us which reservations you would like redeemed for so we can issue the 100% redemption code to you."

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I paid for a ticket from Atl to Louisville. Going no problems no issues however my return trip back was horrible. I pull up my email and find out that somehow Megabus allow me to book a trip coming from Atl to Louisville and from Louisville to ATL on the same date and time. They did not want to refund me my money back they didn't refund me my money bag and their driver was asking for a tip in order to for me to get on the bus something I believe is not legal. I called customer service and they were of no help at all. Are the customer service told me was you can only cancel or change your reservation up to 3 hours before your trip and they also said that they had came and gone so they would not refund me any money and they never refund any type of money something I feel like it's unfair as a customer.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

First, I want to state I never write reviews but this experience was absolutely horrible and extremely unprofessional. I work in an industry where customer service is our main focus and I would expect the same from other companies. I took my work team to NYC for the holiday season and it ended with a horrible experience on Megabus. A 2 hour journey turned into almost 7 hours. Of that time, 4 hours were spend sitting on the side of the highway stranded.

The Details: We boarded the bus at 5:20 pm in NYC. Around 7:20 pm the bus broke down on the side of the New Jersey Turnpike. The bus driver was very unprofessional and would not communicate any updates on the status of the situation. The only thing the driver said was a new bus would be there in 30-45 mins. Once another Megabus did arrive it could only take 8 passengers because it was just passing by.

In the meantime passengers started calling Uber and Lyft to pick them up. Passengers were running across the highway during rush hour to get where their rides were (terrifying and dangerous). Then once the tow truck did arrive it "raised and lowered" the bus a couple dozen times to get it properly mounted with all the passengers onboard. Around 10:45 pm the bus was towed with all the passengers inside (I believe very illegal) to the next exit so we could board another bus. Once we got onto the new bus we finished our journey and didn't arrive to our destination until 12 am.

I've also contacted Megabus on their customer service number and the only thing I received was a credit to use for future rides. I will never use Megabus again so that credit is absolutely a waste to me. The email I was given to contact for further assistance is not real (inquiries@megabus.com) because my email was kicked back to me saying it wasn't a legitimate email.

I highly recommend never using Megabus. They have horrible customer service and are extremely unprofessional. I'm not a lawyer and I don't know the traffic laws in New Jersey but I'm pretty sure the situation we were in resulting in passengers running across a 16 lane highway or being towed with passengers onboard is not legal. I hope you read this before you decide to use Megabus' services or lack thereof.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I booked two tickets for my grandkids to come for Thanksgiving. When they got to the station they told my 16 and 14 year olds they could not get on the bus so I lost 200 dollars. I think I should be able to get half of the money back. Now I'm left with trying to get money to drive to get them at the last minute.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

On Oct 20th, my mother and me took a Megabus from New York, to Toronto. At 7:50 am, the bus stopped for a 30 minutes break between Rochester and Buffalo. At 8:20 am, the bus had already gone and left us behind. There was no any other public transportation in that area (I really don’t understand at that night, the Megabus had the right to be late for more than 30 minutes to pick us up in NY, and also the right to leave us at middle of nowhere). My bag was still on the bus. I called the customer service (877) 462-6342 immediately in hope of tracking the bag. She only called me back for no conclusion by telling me that I will be contacted soon, but it never happened.

When we finally got to Toronto, we went to the office to report the lost item. Later, we were told that the bag didn’t go through the custom but return back to NY, and given a number (877) 462-6342 for me to contact when we return. On Oct 22nd, I called and I was told that the bag couldn’t return till Friday. I heard nothing. On Oct 27th, I called and was AGAIN given another number (908) 372-6115, Lost and Found Department. I left my voicemail TWICE. (In my mind, where is my bag??.)

On Nov 3rd, I called again and I was told that they never receive my bag!! What is going on!? She said she will email me a Lost Item Claim Form. Till NOW, Nov 14th, I received nothing but ** from the Megabus company. In her black and red bag, there were iPad, her cell phone, her coat, medicine for her high blood pressure and etc. She could go to hospital or get killed if she didn’t have any extra. The value of lost items is definitely higher than $250! The funny thing is, on the returning trip to New York, the bus driver count the number of passenger at each stop.

Megabus Company Information