1.14/5

662 Megabus Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 18, 2019

Do not travel Megabus. They are one of the worst companies ever. They will take your money and not refund it and tell you to call you them back every 10 minutes and give you the runaround. I have no respect for this company. When I leave off the bus this time it will be my last time. Megabus is a money-hungry company that does not care about its people because we are middle-class. If we stop using them maybe we can get a point across. Boycott Megabus.

Original review: June 11, 2019

On 6/10/2019 my son was to leave from FT Laud FL at 6:45 PM to Orlando FL. After waiting for two hours and no bus or notification of the delay of the bus we called Megabus a total of EIGHT TIMES as other customers waiting also called. The story from Megabus was always the same. They must of had a written script, always saying the same thing "Please call back in 10 minutes as we check with our GPS team to find out the location of the bus". 15 minutes later we called and the new response was, "Please call in 10 minutes so we can talk to our team."

We kept calling back until they started hanging up on us. Moral of the story is if you're planning to travel by bus, DON'T DO IT ON MEGABUS. Read their disclaimer as they don't take any responsibility any thing. They won't reschedule your trip and you're sure not to get any money back. To the students at UCF, FSU, and other schools around the nation. Don't fall for the cheap price. It will cost you much more at the end of the day. They won't get another dollar from me.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Twice in a row I bought a reserved ticket for an advertised double decker with a 9$ surcharge for a roomier seat up top for an injury I have & when I showed up to the pickup location a small cramped one story charter bus arrived. The first time this happened I called customer service and they refused to give me a refund because I was "technically not disabled". It was a very painful trip and caused me a lot of exhaustion. It was a long time ago so I forgot that had happened until it happened again just now. I'm currently nursing my injury in this cramped one story bus, same story. This is the last time I will ever book with them because it doesn't matter what you purchase, it's a lie. You never know what kind of vehicle will show up and customer service will deflect all responsibility. I hope companies like this go out of business once the bullet train gets built.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Coach Canada Megabus leaving from St. Catharines to Toronto. Used to be able to get dropped off at Union Station. What a pain to have to get dropped off with my luggage at the Greyhound Station Downtown Toronto and get myself to Union Station. The bus driver said it was the city of Toronto that will not let them stop at Union Station anymore, what a lie! Also no wifi!

Original review: May 24, 2019

Booked a round trip from New Orleans to San Antonio last week. Booked the ride from New Orleans to Houston and Houston to Houston to San Antonio because it's much cheaper. No idea why if you book it separately it costs $18 but if you book from San Antonio to New Orleans it's $55. Found out that there are three different bus stops in Houston. The one from San Antonio to Houston arrives at Katy Mills while my bus 3 hours later from Houston to New Orleans depart from 815 Pierce St. Ask the man at the counter, he told me if it was the same bus I just technically don't get out until 815 Pierce St. But he still recommend me to call customer service to make sure they are the same bus.

Called customer service, first lady lied to me that they were different bus. Spend additional $10 dollars to change an original $4 dollar ride. Find out they are exact the same bus, call customer service again to ask for refund. Second lady declined and said that if I don't change the ride, driver will not let me get out at 815 Pierce St?? Megabus customer service tell lies and just want to earn more money from you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Megabus?

Original review: May 21, 2019

I will never ever give this company another chance. I was on hold a long time to be able to ask a question and when a rep came on still continued to put me on hold to check on the bus route in question. After the long wait for an answer then I asked to speak to a supervisor whom was still good for nothing. I will make sure My friends, Family or customers will never spend a cent with this people. I will much rather drive them myself where ever they are going.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I made it to the Atlanta Megabus stop at 6 am for my bus to leave at 7 am and I was supposed to make it to Chicago at 8:00 pm just to turn around and get stranded at 3 pm in Memphis. And the bus just came at 9 pm to pick us up, so to sit for 6 hours when we were promised that another bus would be to get us in 3 hours is the worst customer service ever!!!! I will never ride Megabus again ever!!!!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I arrived at the Megabus stop yesterday at 1:38 pm. My bus was due to depart at 1:50. I was out there waiting until after 3pm. They told me I missed my bus and that it departed on time. It did no. I believe they purposely taking our money and want refund it or told me I have to do a complaint online in which I did. I just want my money back. That business is getting away with taking our money because they can. I just want my money back or my ride.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I am traveling the 2:15 PM from Vegas to LA 5/14/19. I never had a bad experience until today. The bus driver is so rude. Cursing at the passengers. So unprofessional and make the Mega charter bus line look very bad. The Mega luggage handler "Anthony" was so nice and professional. He should've transported us. I love using the Megabus line but I'm hoping not to experienced what I experienced today in the future.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Charge 37.50 off my debit card when I did not ride the Megabus. I am a student who does not have money to be taken away from me. I feel like I should be refunded 37.50. I feel like they should not be able to take monies from people who does not use their transportation!!!! Charlessa ** my reservation number.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I was supposed to take Megabus from Houston to San Antonio on the 7th of May. After waiting for about 3 hours before the arrival of the bus the bus conductor at 815 Pierce Street told me am going to pay for extra Luggage which I agree to, but when the bus came just because I said am going to pay with my card he demanded cash which I don't have. He decided to refuse me entry into the bus. He told the bus driver I was carrying foodstuff and the bus driver came and carry my luggage saying it's overweight without using a scale.

I was badly treated despite I have a ticket. I demanded for refund but the conductor told me I dint buy ticket from them. My luggage was thrown out of the bus. I pleaded severally but they disgraced me and it was raining heavily. I was soaked and wet. All my belongings got wet and bad. After explaining to the bus conductor that I was coming from an international flight that was the reasons I gave some extra luggages and I agreed to pay the fees. The Bus conductor at 815 Pierce street is corrupt. He demanded for cash from me which I refused. This matter needs to be verified. I deserve and an apology.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Bus breakdown on the road, I missed my conference and I had to spend extra money to come back home from some random location to my home with hefty Uber expenses. In spite of this, company did not refund my ticket price back to me. I will NEVER buy anything in future from Megabus.

Original review: May 7, 2019

So I purchased a round trip last week and I dated the trip from today until the 11th of this month. When I noticed I called to see if they could give me credit or an alternative because my leave out date was dated the same as my return date. Doesn't make any sense. How can I leave out at 620 am and return the same day at 415 am? Mind you I'm going to a funeral so I wasn't planning on returning home until a few days after. Lol I spent 180$ on a round trip now I have to completely pay 97$ for a return ticket to my destination. They all have attitudes as well lol. And it's like they love to rob you of your money and the lateness is ridiculous lol. This will be the last time I take this bus. I hope they go out of business and get sewed for things like this.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I had credit of $20 to my account from March since they do not allow refunds for accidental charges. I called them back in March about it and all they said was that I could receive credit and not a refund. Fast forward to today, I logged in to check my balance and it was completely gone. I called customer service again and the lady rudely explained to me that if I did not use the credit on the day I received it, it would be taken from me. Therefore, I do not have any credit. No one explained to me about the terms and conditions and they were not even visible enough to take notice. So, Megabus will not be getting any business from me anymore. They won't last long at the rate they are going.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Well to start off I was on a bus from Austin to Dallas and the bus completely shut down 10 miles away from Austin so we were stuck in the middle of the highway for a good 5 hours. On top of that I wanted to cancel my ticket because of a family emergency and they told me they can't cancel or refund me my mom for my ticket. All I can do is change it which would be a 10 dollar fee... Honestly if it's not one thing it's another and Megabus definitely lost me as a customer because they are just an unfair company & I don't appreciate not being able to get my well hard earned money back for a ticket that I paid for.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I travelled several times both directions. Buses are always LATE!!! No water provided in the bus. Restrooms are super dirty and in unsanitary conditions. Some seats are broken. In the middle of the trip he realized that he is not legally allowed to drive longer!!!! Bus stopped for 1,5 hours in between DC & NYC. We paid extra $14 for 2 front seats, as a result we got jammed in the other bus on the back seats.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I arrived on time at connecting bus with my exhausted children for these people to that I had to wait two hours and I paid for all my fee in advance. I will not use this ** for service again. The bus drivers be riding the shoulders of the road. Need better experience drivers period. Disrespectful customer representative period. This not mega service at all, thanks but no thanks.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Since when do drivers stop for a smoke break? This is ridiculous, this is not a party bus. We should not really be stopping period unless emergency. We stopped for a smoke break .... a smoke break. That’s horrible.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have never had a worse experience with a travel company. Even RyanAir was a more welcoming and easy to deal with company. Trying to book a ticket for a ride from Cincinnati, Ohio to Chicago, Illinois was one of the most frustrating experiences. So frustrating that I eventually gave up. My first attempt to book was met with a message saying that something went wrong during the payment method. No problem, I'll try again. Same message the second time. I tried a different card. Same message. I checked my bank account and there were purchases that were made and then immediately rescinded so my information was correct. I then struggled to find a way to contact Megabus to find out the problem.

Eventually I found a way to email them. When I received a response, they told me that my cards were coming up on their "Standard Fraud Checks" and that I should have "another person buy my ticket for me." So I tried that. My uncle was unable to buy a ticket, same message. My mom was unable to buy a ticket after trying two cards, same message. After emailing them again asking how this could happen and that it might be a site problem, they informed me that it was definitely an issue on our side. It was at this point that I asked to talk to someone on the phone and never received a response. This was my first and last time dealing with Megabus and all because I just wanted to get a simple bus ride to Chicago. I wanted to give them my money but I guess they didn't want. A 0 out of 5 would be a better review for this company. Not surprised my experience was like this after reading all the other reviews.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have been riding Megabus from 2 years now and sometimes the fare prices are very affordable. But that doesn't mean that I get to ride a ** bus. The bus I usually take is the round trip from Memphis to Dallas during night. The reclining seats in the bus are very bad and they doesn't work. The passengers are forced to sit in them for 8+ hours without comfort and in pain. While getting down, there will be lot of pain in my back due to sitting in that uncomfortable seat for too long. And also the driver's attitude is bad and they doesn't have patience and generally have bad mouth. Megabus being one of the top transportation services in USA, must fix the issues and offer better customer services.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Wish there was a zero to rate them. My daughter arrived 10 minutes early to catch the bus, she waited until 3 minutes after the bus was supposed to leave then called Megabus. They told her that they could put her on a later bus. When we called to get the later bus we were informed that we had to purchase another ticket AND pay $7 to book over the phone. I explained what happened and what I was told, they said that the bus actually left 28 minutes late. I explained that we had called and no one informed us of a delay, they said that their systems don't update that quickly. I tried to explain that we followed all of the steps... Arrived early, called when the bus wasn't there, then called back as instructed. They put a supervisor on the phone that said if we do not wish to purchase a ticket they would have to end the call. Then she hung up on me!!!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I will never use Megabus again until they get drivers that has respect for other people and who is not rude with and attitude problem. Bus 567 From Dallas to Memphis that left out on March 14th 2019 and will be arriving in Memphis at 645 am on Friday morning March 15th 2019 needs to be at another job that she like if she is not a people's person 'cause her attitude and mouth is going to get her in a lot of trouble 'cause she has the wrong person mother to get smart with and disrespectful. This is the worst and downright disgraceful driver that I have ever had since I first started riding with this company.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I booked a ride on Megabus from Tampa to Orlando and had a flight that night from Orlando Airport to Charlotte. The bus was supposed to leave at 4:55p and arrive in Orlando at 7:25p. My flight was at 9:05p. After 6p and realizing I'd miss my flight if I didn't find an alternate way to get to Orlando, I left and got a ride to Orlando, which cost me more money since I had to compensate the person for gas. With traffic (this was a Thursday night) I arrived at the airport right before they closed the terminal at around 8p.

After being told to contact Megabus on inquiries@megabus.com about my refund request and waiting the 7-10 business days for a response which never happened, I called Megabus only to be HUNG UP ON BY A FEMALE MANAGER with a Spanish accent who REFUSED TO GIVE ME HER NAME. I called back and spoke to another MANAGER NAMED JOHAN who also refused to give me the woman's name as well or to find out who I was speaking with prior. I'm sure this would have been an easy find since most companies take detailed notes regarding a claim which would have reflected the person's name. I was told that it was not Megabus' fault that the BUS ARRIVED AT 6:26P due to traffic and my trip was not refundable.

I repeatedly asked why they would hold a customer responsible for their failure to perform their end of the bargain to arrive at a specific time even if it was out of their control, and I was not given a straight answer. VIOLATING CONTRACT LAW, they refused to give me a refund and didn't seem to care that if I had waited, I would have missed my flight and my trip to Charlotte altogether, which I am sure they would not have compensated me for. SCAMMERS!!! Compensate people when you don't perform your end of the bargain (to arrive on time or within a reasonable time). 1 1/2 hours late is unacceptable and keeping my money was unethical!!!

Original review: March 3, 2019

Call-in customer service center is an ESL site with abysmal and inflexible service. What's the point of having a customer department if all the replies are apologies and denials? Not even a lick of leeway or understanding. This is surely my last time booking through Megabus.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I’m in a bad part of town - it was daylight when bus was supposed to leave. Over 1 1/2 hrs later no bus - it’s dark now. No communication from Mega that I can rely upon. Now I get an email they are 1hr late.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

A terrible experience. The driver is a nasty person, does not know how to talk or treat people, after spending an hour and a half waiting for the bus, the driver said we should make a row of a line back and we ran as he said, but He said that he wants us to be at the end of the line because we were not where he said at first and then he left us last. He closed the doors and we did not ride. It was my first and last time at that stop because neither me or my family will buy a ticket with them again. I am still waiting for the answer of my claim but from my experience I will never again buy a ticket with MEGABUS. I gave them a star because it does not allow me to leave them without any because that's what I gave them - 0 stars.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I bought a ticket online... When I arrived the bus driver said the bus was Full due to a earlier cancelled bus and there's nothing he could do about it. They said I could call customer service and get a refund. When I did the girl gave me attitude and told me I must have been late. I told her it had nothing to do with me being late. It was due to bus being cancelled. They refused to give me a refund so I paid 2x and second time I paid more.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I bought a ticket for myself and then when I got to the bus they made me purchase a ticket for a two tear old child for 40 dollars. I proceed to get on the bus and there was a way that I could have rode the bus but the driver didn’t know how to instruct or do his job. So I had to get off the bus and I proceed to call Megabus and they told me that they don’t refund money and that they want extra money for 2 new tickets. DO NOT BOOK WITH MEGABUS.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I purchased a ticket for a bus from Richmond to Atlanta yesterday. An hour or two after I purchased the ticket realized I wasn't gonna make it to Richmond on time to get the bus. I immediately went back online to try to change the time or even date and the trade ticket link wouldn't light up. So then I called twice spoke to 2 different reps who were beyond rude. They apologized while continuing to talk over me. When I asked to speak with a supervisor they would put me on hold to get one, then come back to the line to say there is no sup available and to call back to speak with sup. I didn't want a refund. I just wanted a different time.

This Megabus experience was the worst travel experience I've ever had to encounter. I will never book with them again and I hope everyone is cautious also when dealing with them because they are deceitful and then rude on top of that as if you have money to just give away. Oh and I forgot to mention that after all this I kept receiving emails that the bus had broken down and they were trying to send another one. These emails came up 'til 7 the next morning and still no bus. So I called back in twice. First rep acted like she was trying to get more information and hung up on me. Second rep said the bus had already left out of Richmond when it broke down! SEE GOD DOESN'T LIKE UGLY!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Rode the Minneapolis to Chicago route, complete with a man talking loudly on the phone about his sexual escapades and lots of cursing, a woman across the aisle smoking, and 2 men in the front of the bus who had to be separated before a fist fight broke out. And the driver was alerted to all of this and did nothing. Complained to Megabus, they offered redemption codes for a future ride. Like I'll ever ride that craphole bus again? Nice try, Megabus.

Megabus Company Information