1.17/5

598 Megabus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I tried to get a round trip ticket for my son and my payment kept being denied. I tried several cards using several devices over several days. I even tried having other people book the reservation but we all kept getting the same error. When I contacted customer service, they wanted to charge me $7 For booking over the phone. Their reasoning was that every card used must have been flagged for security purposes. My conclusion is that Megan is running a new SCAM to force people to pay the extra fee. Reporting to the State AG for investigation.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

The driver for the 7:30 pm trip to White Marsh, MD from New York (Bus number M21) was absolutely horrible. And I’m sure nothing will be done but I thought I would give this a shot. He was very rude with one guy who asked to put his luggage on the spot behind the driver seat and the driver got rude and said, "No. It was for the driver only." The guy then asked if the driver was not using it could he put his bag there and the driver Rudely told him, "Absolutely not." He pulled the bus over to the side of the road numerous times. One time he pulled it over and was so rude to me about my phone. I did not have my phone up high enough that it would distract him but he stopped the whole bus to lousy be rude to me about it. So embarrassing while other people were all looking.

When I told him I didn’t have my phone up high he rudely told me to move my seat. My daughter asked him to turn the air up, it was so hot on the bus that one young boy was crying saying he was too hot. The driver told my daughter to move her seat. It was hot on the whole bus!! He then made a 15 minute stop in Delaware because he was hungry!!!! Numerous people on the bus said they ride the Megabus all of the time and no driver ever made a stop. It was the worst ride home!!! If it wasn’t so late at night I would of cussed his ** out, got off the bus and called my husband to come get me!!! It was that bad!!! It sucks I even have to give a 1 because it doesn’t deserve that!!!

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Time: 4:00 pm to 11:45 pm Las Vegas to Tempe AZ. I’m here writing this email to you today because on August 22, 2018 I had an incident with a driver name Darla ** which that’s the name she gave me and I’m not quite sure if that’s her real name but she gave my suitcase away to another person that got off the bus at the Phoenix location. My suitcase should have been the last suitcase on the bus and she must realized there was one left and was like who’s bag and someone took it. When she got on the bus she start driving and then realized it was me and 3 other customers on the bus and said "Where are y’all going?" And we replied to Tempe.

As we arrived at The Tempe location the driver continued to sit on the bus while we were exiting the bus. I stated to her do I need to open the door myself or would she open it because I needed my luggage. She continued to say there are no bags because everybody grabbed theirs and I told her no they didn’t because I didn’t get my bag. She opened the door and said no there was no bag. I asked her what am I suppose to do like my bag is gone all my items my suitcase everything. She then told me the lady with the dog that was on the bus and got off at the Phoenix location took my bag and I asked her why would she let someone take a bag that wasn’t hers.

She then was telling me that she needed to go because the bus was going to shut down. She offered to go back down to the location and see if the lady was there to retrieve my bag and I just said okay. I had my brother take me down there also and she was there. When I arrived her exact words to me was if I knew you were coming down here I wouldn’t have came down here I could have went to the bus station. Then she walked off. I proceeded to follow her to get her name and information that I needed to contact about my bag. She stated her name was Darla ** and started yelling I needed to contact them. I asked who is them and she said Megabus or whatever.

I then asked how could she allow someone to take someone bag and her exact words were, "I don’t ** babysit bags that’s not my ** job." I said, "You are very unprofessional and I don’t even see how you have this job," and she proceeded to say ** me. I said, "You weren’t even going to take us to Tempe and she said I don’t ever go to Tempe," and I said, "How come you don’t when that is a location stop for the Megabus?" And she said, "Because I don’t ** drop off there." She proceeded to keep using profanity and saying ** my mama and ** me and how it wasn’t her job. As a person that works with guest or customers should not act like that or use that type of language because they made the mistake.

Not only that the driver informed me of who took my belongings and how it wasn’t your job. If I’m not mistaking that is your job so don’t voice those type of words. I lost so much stuff and money gone down the drain because she gave my luggage away and then not going to drop us off. I also don’t see how someone like her is working for your company. Very unprofessional, rude and uses profanity! NOT A GOOD LOOK at all. This was my first time using Megabus and I’m not too sure I will use the service again. Especially if you have drivers like Ms. Darla **. I would like an update and a response if possible. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

My husband and I took the Megabus from NYC to the White Marsh Megabus drop off in Baltimore. (August 19, 4:30 pm departure from NYC) The driver seemed to be having a hard time staying awake - rubbing her arms, slapping her hands against the steering wheel. She must have opened a lunch bag 6 or 7 times to get out snacks - each time she did this, she would swerve into other lanes because she only had one hand on the wheel. A trucker honked at her - as did other passenger vehicles.

She ran over the lane onto the rumble strip (it makes that loud noise to wake up sleepy drivers) on the shoulder of the highway. She hit/scraped the side of the bus going through an easy pass toll booth. She should NOT have been driving this 4 hour trip from hell. She would go very slow when there was no traffic around, speed up, slow down - very uneven driving. Another passenger called her out citing closing her eyes way too long - it was very scary. Will never use again.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

The seats are so hard and poorly designed it’s impossible to sit in them more than an hour, theirs 0 cushion while other buses and trains have way comfortable seats. Second is because of the design of the bus they have to keep the AC blasted on ice cold the entire trip that literally has people bringing blankets or buying blankets mid-trip. I’ve even seen a person bring duct tape so that he can make it through. And lastly is it is impossible to get a hold of customer service outside business hours. Megabus will only be able to get customers on prices - never on quality when considering its poor bus design and customer experience. I prefer to take train when it’s comparable because its seats actually has cushions and they don’t put people’s health in risk.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Megabus?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I arrived in Toronto Bay Street to board the bus with my 5 years old and my 10 months old only to be told 8 that I need to pay for my baby. I had to pay an extra $80 for my baby to sit in my lap the entire trip. Uncomfortably having to switch him from left to right. I reached out to customer service but this was to no avail as they were inconsiderate and dismissive. Having to pay $80 for a one way ticket is absolute robbery. My child did not take a seat in this bus. I need to get this situation rectified. I traveled with my child before and I never had to pay for my baby. He is not even one yet. Megabus you need to be more considerate and I promise to bring this to the public eye on all platforms until my money is refunded. This is absolute Fraud!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Don’t use this bus company. From Boston to New York the bus was 45 minutes late. From New York to Boston the bus departed 1/2 hour late then broke down in New Haven. Terrible driver, terrible experience. Took 8 hours from New York to Boston.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have booked with the same Visa on Megabus for almost a year. I created an account online and through their app and purchased tickets from Boston to New York with that account multiple times. Now they have some new fraud system that's blocking my card. I called customer service and told them I understand there is a need for fraud prevention but this makes no sense since I have been using the same card for so long with no fraud reported on it. They told me they would take the card number over the phone but charge me a surcharge to do it with a representative.

I found that to be appalling since their system is what's broken and I should not be penalized for it. I tried to directly purchase it at the Bus Depot but they closed too early. Much earlier than their competitors. All of the other bus company's ticket counters were open but theirs. I basically became disgusted with Megabus, deleted their app off of my phone, and went on to purchase a train ticket instead with their app! It was a bit more expensive but it's worth it not dealing with the hassle Megabus dished out to their now FORMER loyal customer. For now on I will be taking the train when making my frequent round trips to New York.

Original review: July 24, 2018

The Megabus driver moved the cones from the front of the bus, climbed on board, shut the door and began to drive off all while I was within a few feet of the bus. I began to run to the front of the bus on the driver's side and he said once the door is shut, he cannot reopen. I was clearly waiting to load the bus. I called Megabus and they defended the driver and wanted to reissue a later ticket for an additional $5 charge. I told the supervisor as well as the driver, I was on my way to a memorial service and could not wait for a later bus. Megabus in Austin appears to have a power complex. There is absolutely ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Me and my companion board on time Megabus origin Charlotte NC to ATL then was suppose to connect from ATL to Louisville Ky but our bus broke down causing us not to make our connection and we call to let them know and I got an email apologizing about the service failure. They say they would issue new tickets for the next day. Good thing had family in the area. They say it was on me and I had to pay for more tickets. They left us high and dry. Screw Megabus. I rather walk. Kiss my ** Megabus. Dont use this people. They have no clue of customer service.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Yesterday JULY 17 2018 my grandchildren and I got on the bus going to Los Angeles from Las Vegas at 1 am. My order no. is **. Around 30 min. after leaving the Station a ** man tap me on my shoulder and ask if he sit beside me. I ask why he moving out from his seat. He said that someone want to fight with him, so I move but I smell liquor and he was hot so I ask him if he was drunk. He say no. But he was tapping me and asking thing that don't know and putting his leg on top of the table, so when we stop at Bartow, I told the driver about it and she will look on it, then I talk to the guy to move 'cause he is drunk and I don't want him there. I think the driver must see to it that the passenger are not high or drunk. Thank you. I hope this won't happen again.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Their WAS-NYC bus was scheduled to 12:30AM but was more than 1 hour late for departure. All this time, people had to sit on the dirty wet floor, and the rep didn't care to give any assistance! (empty Megabus bus was there, but they didn't allow anyone to board). Arrival to destination was more than 2 hours late. And for all this I paid the price twice higher than other companies on the same route.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I order my sister and her 3 children some Megabus tickets to come to Memphis from Chicago. After I got the reservations online I screenshot it and sent it to her. She went to the address on the Website which was not the right one and talked to a person there that said she was at the wrong site and gave an address to the right one. She said she would dispatch the bus to wait for her... she would have been on time if the website had the right address on it so the by the time she made it to the new correct site the bus was gone already and we couldn't get a refund for $142. That was my First and very last time I use the Megabus. Never again and they was so rude they even hung up on us... just sad that they can take people money like that... they just kept saying, "Oh I'm so sorry this happen to you but we can book you a new reservations if you pay again!!!" They don't even deserve the 1 star I gave them!!!

Original review: June 24, 2018

Four of us planned a trip from Philadelphia to NYC. We were to be at a place at a certain time, which we were. The bus never showed. When I called customer service, I was told that the bus was not coming due to a upcoming parade in that at that location, though there was no parade going on at the time. I spoke to several different people and a supervisor who refused to give me a refund. In fact, the supervisor actually just hung up on me. She claimed I should have received an email about 10 minutes before that saying the bus would not show up. The bottom line is I spent $162.50 for four of us to make a trip to NYC and the bus simply did not show up. It changed its route without any notification whatsoever. I was refused a refund. So they took my money, provided no service with no explanation or prior notification. There are many ways to get around the city (cities), Megabus would NOT be one I would ever recommend.

Original review: June 18, 2018

On Saturday June 16th, we took the 11:15am Megabus No. DD538 to Tampa, my booking no. ** and for the first time in 3 years that I've been using this service, was the worst trip ever, not only the trip but the "BUS DRIVER". He had no sympathy for the customer!!! Nor the elderly when we uploaded the bus he had the air TURNED OFF, everyone in the bus was sweating for about 20 mins, needless to say we left 30 mins later than schedule and arrive 1 later also than schedule at Tampa. I'm very upset cause my mother who 78 yrs with me almost passed out due to heat exhaustion... When we arrive to Tampa he did the same thing. He unload the baggages and left us all inside the bus with NO AIR and DOOR CLOSED... I want my money back credit to my account due to this terrible experience ever.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I experienced the worst driver for Megabus ever last night. When he pulled up and got off to help load the luggage, he was being very rude to everybody. He was screaming at everybody and he was being absolutely unprofessional. My son had his PlayStation console in his luggage so I asked the bus driver (Richard **) to be careful with loading it. He screamed at me and told me that there couldn’t be anything fragile in the bag. He then took the luggage and threw it on the ground, after I just said that it was something fragile in the bag. When I asked him why would he throw the bag on the ground when I just mentioned that something in the bag could be broken he began to yell at me and demanded that I take the item out of the bag. I took it out and put it in the carry on my son was carrying.

He did all of this while my 12 year old son was standing there saying he hoped that his gaming system was broken since the driver threw the bag on the ground. After my son and my mom got onto the bus, I asked him his name and he walked all the way in my face and yelled it out. He was literally so close in my face that I could feel his breath. And when I asked him why was he so close in my face, he said that he wanted to make sure that I heard him. We will definitely not use Megabus in the future. I never experienced this rudeness and unprofessionalism with Greyhound. I guess this is what happens when you try to save money.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My husband and I used Megabus yesterday, June 7, 2018. We had a terrible experience and because of it will never use Megabus again. We traveled via Megabus from Richmond to Atlanta... Because we knew it was a 13 hour trip via bus we went with Megabus because they advertised free WiFi and could download the MegaBus Ride app (which we both did on 4 devices) to view movies, etc. We tried several times during our trip and WiFi was not on nor could the connection even appear on any of our devices.

On top of all that our seats were extremely uncomfortable... Both were broken and could not be adjusted. The bus was unclean inside. I tried to find somewhere to review our terrible experience, but conveniently this is not located on their website. This is false advertising stating that you can download their app and to have the ability to use WiFi / neither were true on our bus. We paid over $120 for this ride and will never use Megabus again! I contacted MegaBus and they said they do not issue refunds based on bus conditions and WiFi.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I am reviewing Megabus so people understand what they are letting themselves in for. I have taken Megabus New York to Philadelphia without incident but to Boston, we stopped to change driver after 90 minutes which seemed weird and was not explained. We arrived more than an hour late than advertised though I am not sure why as there was not much traffic. Return trip departed Boston at 5 pm. At 5.45 pm the bus dies on the road. At 6.30 pm State Troopers have to intervene because Megabus has a lane closed and 70 people on the side of the highway and doesn't seem to be doing anything (they told us they sent another bus from Boston that would take 90 minutes and then that bus broke down).

Police get local buses to drive us to a rest stop where we wait for about four hours, being repeatedly told it'll be 30 minutes. New bus finally arrives and we proceed to drive about an hour before he pulls over to "fill in paperwork"!! Apparently not looking at a map we finally see New York in the distance only to hit a massive traffic slowdown the driver could have avoided. THEN he goes over the bridge into New Jersey adding another 30 mins to the trip. Due in at 9 pm we finally arrived in New York at 2 am.

Original review: April 30, 2018

The saying goes: you get what you pay for. Megabus fare is a bit cheaper than Greyhound but the service is very poor. Their website was malfunctioning the whole day yesterday so I could not book a ticket until last night. I booked a ticked from MPLS to Chicago. After I paid for the ticket, it showed the trip was from Chicago to MPLS. I changed the ticket right way and was charged extra $5.50 for the fees. I asked for a refund as it was not my fault. I talked to an agent then a supervisor. They were as cold as they could be. They said it is their policy: no refund will be given. Their bus toilet is filthy. Please do not ride Megabus and get yourself upset.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My son started going away to college in 2011. I have been using Megabus since then. The Megabus hires the rudest employees from bus drivers to representatives to supervisors for the representatives. I will say there are some exceptions to this rule. However it seems like the nice ones rarely stay. I had a recent incident today in which the supervisor refused to help me or even give me his name and hung up the phone on me when I asked for his name! No I wasn't mean. I said, "Can I please have your name," and he started saying due to regulation on Megabus he cannot be on... blah blah blah... while I kept asking for his name loud and clear. I would say, "Excuse me give me your name please..." I have had many incidents with Megabus and WITNESSED others as well.

Usually I try to avoid calling them... even when they mess up... which is a lot! They make bad situations worse. I think the representatives are purposely rude to customers and enjoy it. Once a new bus driver who was clearly prejudice asked me which stop my son was getting off of... no one else with luggage, did he ask... I told him where. He told me my son would have to pay extra or get off the bus. He acted like I was being sneaky... But I had an app on the phone and it just said Albany. It didn't say which stop in Albany but the cost was the same anyway... So first he said I cannot have the tickets on the phone... "Tickets cannot be on the phone," he said... That the phone version was not real he said. I asked him to look on his log. He said he didn't have one.

Then he told me my son would have to get off of the bus or pay extra... when it's the same price for both stops. I am usually a quiet mother of 2 who is considered weak and meek by many. But I am not weak or timid, I pick my battles. I don't like dealing with Megabus customer service at all because it doesn't matter how professional or nice you are... They will not show you that same courtesy! There will always be a battle. Today I lost some money dealing with the faulty Megabus website and I tried to get help before I lost the money. It could've been avoided because I called them an hour before the cut off. All I got was aggravated.

I still ended up losing the money. I have tickets for until September 2018. After that time I will never buy Megabus tickets again. Not only did I lose a lot of money through Megabus... I also lost a lot of peaceful time with my family by getting misinformation and rudeness to nastiness from Megabus employees. From being stranded on broken buses or in the freezing cold waiting for hours for late buses and then calling customer service and told I must have missed the bus hours ago, even though there were tens of people online with me for the same trip time... Them telling me all of us will have to pay for new last minute tickets! That we all missed the bus and hanging up. Other people calling... I have lots of stories... And I guess we are all here because we have similar stories with Megabus! That says a lot.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This is my first and last Megabus ride, and I regret that I have recommended this to others. It smells like ** and there is no air on the top level, though there is air on the lower level. It is miserable. The seats on the top level are very narrow. Either get a seat on the lower level or think twice before riding at all. I guess Mama was right: you get what you pay for.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Today I took my boyfriend to his bus stop at 11:50 am for his 12:10 pm bus from State College to NYC. A bus arrived at 12:17 pm that said New York > State College > Pittsburgh. Obviously he did not board that bus, because it said it was going to Pittsburgh. After waiting an additional 30 minutes I contacted Megabus to see when the bus would arrive and they told me that the Pittsburgh bound bus was in fact the NYC bound bus. The next NYC bus will not be arriving until 1:40 am tomorrow, which in itself is extremely annoying but even worse they refused to refund the first ticket and required him to purchase the second ticket.

I spoke with a manager and he told me it was our fault, because we should have asked the bus driver if the Pittsburgh bus was mismarked and was actually intended for NYC. I can't even comprehend how Megabus feels that their mistake is our fault and refuses to do anything to resolve the situation. The worst customer service I have ever experienced. Extremely dissatisfied with this company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Arrived at the Burbank, Ca station at 6:50am. The bus was scheduled to arrive at 7:35am and when it arrived the driver would not leave the bus to load luggage or to check my reservation number. Made eye contact and tried to motion for him to open the door and he backed the bus up and pulled off. Wasn't parked for 3 minutes. Called customer service to complain and they said it's nothing that they could do. WORST SERVICE EVER, steal your $ and deny you service.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I made a reservation 1 month prior to my trip. 15 hours before departure I get an email from Megabus that my reservation has been cancelled and I have to find an alternate bus. No assistance from customer service at all. Do not rely on Megabus to get you to your destination on schedule. Awful service. I will never use Megabus again.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I purchased a ticket to go to Vegas and had to change for the next week. I did it 9 hours in advance of departure time and had an $8 credit which I couldn’t use (no issue), but once I finished my purchase I went back to review two days later and it was not there (which is today), and tried contacting Megabus and they won’t even acknowledge I paid for change. They only can charge me again for another ticket. I don’t even want to give them a star for services. They are so janky.

Original review: April 1, 2018

My nephew's luggage was taken off the bus on 29 March by another passenger who notified me immediately. I contacted the bus right away and provided the passenger's information. I keep getting different information from different representative. My nephew has no clothes and I am told I have to wait 5 days for someone from lost and found to contact me. I can't get manager to talk to me.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I purchased my ticket from Megabus because on the website it says that there "WIFI" and "outlet". Due to my work it was very important to be able to work on the bus during my travel. However, when I got in the bus, I realized that there was NEITHER WiFi NOR outlet to be able to work with my laptop. That was the only reason and criteria I preferred Megabus! So, if your time is important and planning to get some work done during your trip, DO NOT CHOOSE MEGABUS!

Original review: March 21, 2018

Tried to get a friend a ticket from Tampa to Louisville Kentucky. IMPOSSIBLE!!! Finally gave up. My wife and I rode to Orlando from Tampa to change buses to go to Atlanta... Got to Orlando about 12:30 am and bus stop was closed until 5:00 am. Cold and dark outside didn't discourage us but the drunks coming out of the bars did. They even told us we shouldn't be in that neighborhood. Spent $15 for taxi to Waffle House and stayed there till 5:00 am. Megabus should have left their station open for safety sake for the 5 hours from midnight to 5:00 am. If we had been accosted, I would have been complaining in a bigger way than this.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Bus delayed by over 3 hours. On May 18th, 2017, my Megabus trip from Rochester, NY to New York scheduled to depart around midnight was still not there at 3 am when we left. Throughout that time, multiple passengers came and left by carpooling in taxis. I waited longer than most because Megabus was much more affordable for my budget than Trailways and Greyhound. However! Please, please, please don't use Megabus - it's not worth the savings if you have to travel because in this case, I had to pay for a Trailways ticket the next morning! Megabus not only didn't refund the transportation I had to buy to get me where I needed to go, but they didn't even refund the ticket for the bus that left many people stranded on the street in Rochester, NY in the middle of the night. PLEASE, don't EVER use Megabus!!!

Original review: March 17, 2018

On Friday, March 16, I had a 6 PM bus from DC scheduled to arrive in NY at 10:15 pm. I left work early to make it to this bus. When we were only 15 min from the bus station, we broke down for 1 hour! They wouldn't tell us anything! When we called Megabus they told us to call in 10 min for updates and that compensation could not be offered until the trip was completed. We watched the 7 PM bus drive past us! Eventually, I guess they figured we could risk using a defective bus, and we continued with our trip.

When we were 40 min from our destination, the bus stopped again to switch the driver!!! No explanation offered as we waited for 1 hour for a new driver. I was again told that compensation would not be determined until the trip was over. After arriving in NY at 12:45 am, I was exhausted and my plans were ruined. I called this morning (Saturday) and I was basically told to read the fine print. No refunds. This is NOT OK. Why are they allowed to get away with this shoddy behavior!? I would give them negative stars if I could.

Megabus Company Information