Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

Megabus Reviews

Original review: April 16, 2020

I purchased a RT ride to Atlanta. Megabus canceled my outgoing bus and offered NO other buses that day. They wouldn't take my phone calls and made me email an inquiry inbox. My first email was never answered (they ask for one to wait 5 days, I waited 7). I then emailed again. After 6 days they finally responded and offered me a voucher for the outgoing trip (that THEY canceled). They did not specifically REFUSE a refund, but have simply ignored my request for it. They also ignored my request for the return trip to be refunded. They have simply ignored that request with no offer of voucher or refund for it at all. How was I supposed to use a return only trip? Megabus is cheap because they have ZERO customer service and you are SOL if they cancel your bus!

Original review: March 24, 2020

So apparently it is acceptable for Megabus employees to hang up on customers. I have been hung up on 3 times by several supervisors and DENIED the ability to speak with a manager. I was told by the agent that she would have to look at my reservation to determine whether I would qualify for a refund or reschedule. She determined only reschedule. When I asked the supervisor what the stipulations are for refund he told me he does not know what the agent was talking about and its only reschedules and kept repeating the same thing over and over. They have canceled my tickets and refused to issue a refund mandating that you reschedule in 14 days or lose your money.

We are in a Pandemic! We did not cancel, YOU DID! Who can make a decision as to where they are going to go in the next 14 days when our leaders have just announced that more extreme measure will be taken to self isolate and quarantine during these unforeseeable circumstances. I've taken my losses, why is is that we should have to take on the losses of Megabus. Whether we bought the ticket and it is nonrefundable or not, you cannot provide the Trip or service you promised and therefore should take responsibility.

This is not a time for you to be gouging consumers and securing your own pockets while the rest of us suffer. It is enough that we have bills to pay and our jobs and thus our paychecks have been affected. I am 32 weeks and I REFUSE to bring my baby on any trip in the next coming months with the possibility that we can catch anything. You want me to reschedule in 14 days without knowing if we'll be on quarantine for months? This is absurd. I need help! I purchased 5 tickets in total. Marcel is the last supervisor I spoke to, who has no customer service skills and hung up on me agent #**.

Get buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2020

Lost my grandsons bag worth $500.00, no help at all. The bus my 9 year old grandson was on got a flat tire. We were made to wait hours for a bus to pick us up to continue on to our destination. We were supposed to arrive at 1 am, we didn't arrive until like 5 am. As soon as we got off the bus my grandson (previously being asleep) ran back to the bus, the bus driver just kept going and left. We called Mega bus, and the recording kept talking about Comcast for hours. We finally got through and they told us they would get back to us in a few days.

Yes they lost my sons bag with his sony play station in it, his controllers and all of his games. OF course they found nothing, why would they look at the empty bus to make sure there is nothing left??? Or DID they??? Jackpot for someone's kid. YES he had his name on the inside of the bag also. To top it off we missed the bus 2 times because of accidents and were made to pay for 2 new tickets. Horrible trip and they were no help. They make all the money and pay no one but drivers. They dont care about the people riding.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I spent all day trying to make a reservation online, credit card-3 different ones, telling me something was wrong. Called up customer service only to be hung up on after waiting in the queue for about 20 minutes each time. Finally got someone who barely spoke English, she told me to call back in 10 minutes-Really? Then my husband got someone on the phone and there appeared to be no buses on the route I needed left on that day, oh and that was after telling me to book over the phone. There was a $7 charge! I was furious. Ok, backup plan-unfortunately my son has to take an Uber and leave 2 hours earlier and on a different day, but he will get there...not on a Megabus. Wait-I now just decide to check it out and guess what? There are supposedly 2 seats left on the megabus!!! Are you kidding me??? Customer service is horrible! Not willing to help. HORRIBLE Company!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I had a 12:50pm trip from LA to Las Vegas and I arrived at the Megabus waiting area at 12:46pm as I had to go to the restroom. When I arrived, only the porter was there. He said the driver took off early at around 12:40pm despite his warning to the driver that she shouldn’t leave before 12:50pm the departure time. Anyhow, I called the customer service at 12:47pm and the CS even talked with the porter that confirmed about the bus leaving early. Despite of this, the CS agent was not helpful and just said that they would escalate the matter if the bus left the station early indeed and they made me call again after 10mins (after talking to them for almost 20mins).

I called again after 10mins and talked to the supervisor but he said that the matter is still being investigated and I should call (I should be the one to call and not them!) again without resolution and even dropped the call on me when I was still voicing my concerns. Very lousy customer service indeed! I had to buy a new ticket and took Greyhound instead because I have to be in Vegas by night time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Megabus?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Okay so the only thing that’s convenient about Megabus is it’s cheap but you definitely get what you pay for. My flight got cancelled to go home from Houston to Miami so I had to book separate megabus tickets (total of 2 days traveling time). I went from Houston to New Orleans. Sat in New Orleans for 5 hours and got on my next bus to Atlanta. The ride to Atlanta was 10 hours. I arrived in Atlanta at 9 PM. I look down at my ankles and they’re the size of melons from sitting so long. It had started to become so stressful because I paid for a double decker seat and they came in an improperly working America coach and I began to become ill on the bus.

I called megabus to ask them if they can exchange my ticket for the following day so I can get a room and get some rest due to my blood pressure being high and my ankles swollen. They had the AUDACITY to tell me the only way they can switch the ticket is if I send in supporting documents. I was in disbelief. They forced me to purchase a new ticket. Then on top of it I had originally paid 24.99 for the old ticket. The new ticket then jumped to 79.99. My feelings were sooo hurt and I was so angry. I’ll never ride megabus again. And to make matters worse, the supervisor Shebela definitely cursed me out. I didn’t say any bad words to the woman. Her previous representative hung up in my face. Then when I tried to call megabus back, they were ducking my calls, telling me to try again later because the line is full when both times y’all answered the phone in a minute. Don’t ride megabus y’all. Do Greyhound or Amtrak.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Megabus, Really you having worst service and customer care support. Im waiting for Indy-Chicago 7.15 PM in the bus stop since 7PM, now time 8.16 no bus and no proper response from customer care. It's tough to wait in cold more than a hour without knowing bus will come or not. Poor service ever seen in bus industry and Customer care.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

On two different occasions I have purchased a bus ticket for Megabus. Arrived at the stop early and waited for over an hour. When I called customer service they told me that I missed the bus. I explained to the customer service representative that I arrived at the stop early and waited over an hour but was told it was my fault for missing the bus and I would not be refunded any amount of money. My friend that missed the bus as well called and received the same response. We were both lied to as we were told the bus had a GPS and arrived at the stop. There is no possibility the bus came to the stop as we waited there throughout the time they said the bus came and left. Several other calls were made and they continue to lie about the bus arriving at the stop as well as the time. The customer service representative hung up the phone on my friend.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I was traveling from Houston to Dallas and someone took my luggage instead of theirs. When I looked for my luggage, I did not find it and there was only one luggage remaining which wasn't mine. Apparently, one person mistakenly (or even deliberately) took my suitcase instead of his. The customer service told me to wait for 5 business days. It has been a month and they have not done anything yet. I had all my important documents and personal items in that luggage. I would not recommend traveling in Megabus if you do not want your items to be lost like mine.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

On 1/12th, I purchased a bus ticket to leave on 1/13th from Columbia, SC to Atlanta, GA at 5:45 p.m. About 12:15 p.m., I received an email saying that the bus would be 60 - 90 minutes delayed due to mechanical problems. So to me, that meant that the bus would arrive between 6:45 - 7:15. I got there around 6:25 p.m. and set for about 20 minutes and finally asked some people if they were waiting for the Mega bus and a gentlemen said that the bus left at 6:10. I left and called customer service and explained that I received an email saying that the bus would be delayed 60 - 90 minutes and I arrived at 6:25 and that instead of the bus being delayed 60 - 90 minutes, it was only delayed 25 minutes. An hour delay would be 6:45 p.m. and 1 hr 1/2 would be 7:15 p.m.

The lady transferred me to the manager and I explained to him the same thing and he said that he couldn't transfer my purchase to the next bus schedule which was at 3:40 a.m. He said because it was considered as a missed bus and I told him that it was not a missed bus because the bus came much earlier than stated in the email and that they were supposed to send me a second updated email telling me the time but I never received but he still denied me. Poor customer service. I will contact my bank and place a stop payment. Now I had to purchase another bus ticket so that I can get home to Atlanta. I will not accept the manager's decision without a fight and I see several complaints which is disturbing. This company has poor customer service and is unprofessional.

I will take my complaint to the highest level and will start a petition and won't stop until I see results. I rode the mega bus for the first time last week coming here to Columbia, SC from Atlanta, Ga and bragged about the ride because I didn't feel like driving but now I eating my words and the customer service is very bad and it's all about the company making money NOT caring about the customers and focusing on resolving issues and giving good customer service. Every complaint that I have read is always blaming the customer no matter what the situation is and never owning that they have made a mistake and they never compensate any customers. You haven't heard the last of me.

Sabrina