1.28/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

636 Megabus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I bought a ticket online... When I arrived the bus driver said the bus was Full due to a earlier cancelled bus and there's nothing he could do about it. They said I could call customer service and get a refund. When I did the girl gave me attitude and told me I must have been late. I told her it had nothing to do with me being late. It was due to bus being cancelled. They refused to give me a refund so I paid 2x and second time I paid more.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I bought a ticket for myself and then when I got to the bus they made me purchase a ticket for a two tear old child for 40 dollars. I proceed to get on the bus and there was a way that I could have rode the bus but the driver didn’t know how to instruct or do his job. So I had to get off the bus and I proceed to call Megabus and they told me that they don’t refund money and that they want extra money for 2 new tickets. DO NOT BOOK WITH MEGABUS.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I purchased a ticket for a bus from Richmond to Atlanta yesterday. An hour or two after I purchased the ticket realized I wasn't gonna make it to Richmond on time to get the bus. I immediately went back online to try to change the time or even date and the trade ticket link wouldn't light up. So then I called twice spoke to 2 different reps who were beyond rude. They apologized while continuing to talk over me. When I asked to speak with a supervisor they would put me on hold to get one, then come back to the line to say there is no sup available and to call back to speak with sup. I didn't want a refund. I just wanted a different time.

This Megabus experience was the worst travel experience I've ever had to encounter. I will never book with them again and I hope everyone is cautious also when dealing with them because they are deceitful and then rude on top of that as if you have money to just give away. Oh and I forgot to mention that after all this I kept receiving emails that the bus had broken down and they were trying to send another one. These emails came up 'til 7 the next morning and still no bus. So I called back in twice. First rep acted like she was trying to get more information and hung up on me. Second rep said the bus had already left out of Richmond when it broke down! SEE GOD DOESN'T LIKE UGLY!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Rode the Minneapolis to Chicago route, complete with a man talking loudly on the phone about his sexual escapades and lots of cursing, a woman across the aisle smoking, and 2 men in the front of the bus who had to be separated before a fist fight broke out. And the driver was alerted to all of this and did nothing. Complained to Megabus, they offered redemption codes for a future ride. Like I'll ever ride that craphole bus again? Nice try, Megabus.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I was travelling to Philadelphia from DC on Wednesday January 30th 2019, arrived on time. Get on the bus. After waiting for more than 20 minutes the driver announced that the bus has problem with oil cap and should wait another one coming from Rockville in about 30 to 45 minutes. And as a civilized company send text to my phone where I respond, "I have important health issue appointment arranged through complicated manner that I shouldn't be late."

Anyhow the bus arrived after 45 minutes and left after 15 minutes means late 1 hr. When I arrived at my apartment I was late by 1hr and the treatment also late with the same hour late which affect my return schedule, I cut my treatment and run as fast as I can. Arrived 7 minutes late at 0427 at 30th street. Saw one bus and when I get there it was empty but doors open. I got in and the driver was sleeping at the back seats on upper deck, I called him if the bus is for DC, he was awake and say no and yell at me how I get in, told him the door was open and ask him about the DC bus. He said, "I don't know."

I left the bus and run for another bus for Rocki. The driver told no Megabus seen. I ask also the city bus driver parked on the spot. He also told me they didn't see the bus then I go back to the Megabus. I talked earlier and ask him what options do I have, he say he don't know and slam the door on my face. In the mean time I saw a black sedan with M B on its side parked in the lot where two young men sitting and watching their cellphones. I approach them as I guessed they were Megabus staff or supervisors.

When I approach the driver, he hesitated to down the window anyhow told him the situation. He told the bus already left. The next bus is tomorrow morning, I told him I can't stay because I have to go to work early in the morning. He said tomorrow morning and ignored me. I go back to the city bus driver. "What options can I get?" He told me to go to 11th street to get Greyhound bus. Thanks to him and thanks to Greyhound I buy a ticket. Get home finally. What I understand from this is Megabus have very poor, worst customer service and staff. Never use again and never recommend.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Megabus?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

After reading the pros and cons... I decided to try Megabus with an open mind. I was asked to arrive 15 minutes prior to our 10:10 am departure and I did. The weather here in Nashville was a chilly 35 degrees and you wait on the street corner unprotected from the elements for the bus. Finally, at 10:40, a Megabus appears... but not ours. One going on to Chicago instead of Atlanta. The bus driver then tells us that our bus is in Kentucky and won't arrive until after 1 if everything goes ok. No notice from anyone from Megabus about the delay... Only the message from the wrong bus driver. No refunds are given either. You have to rebook within 3 hours for your "refund". Sorry Megabus. You were a Mega Disappointment. I will find more reliable methods of transportation from now on.

I tried. :(

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I am so angry with Megabus. I made a reservation to travel from Boston to NYC. I became ill and was not able to make the trip. I had registered this on their website and received an email confirming that I had cancelled the trip. I was not able to recoup the leg of the trip that went to NYC because there wasn't enough notice. However I was able (or so I thought) to recoup the return trip that was scheduled for several days later. I received an email confirming that I could use this second leg of the trip to book another trip. The email stated that I had a $29.99 credit allowance and that I could use it to book another trip. When I tried to use this credit for another trip, after a l-o-n-g conversation with customer service I was told I could not in fact redeem my credit because I had to rebook within 10 minutes. Nowhere on their email to me was this information listed. Then they hung up on me. Their system is set up to deceive and cheat people.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I've rode with Megabus multiple times (unfortunately) just because of how cheap their tickets are. I usually travel to NYC from upstate NY. I can truthfully say that each time gets worse. There's been times where my bus was supposed to arrive at a certain time but didn't reach until almost an hour & 45 minutes later due to the bus "being stuck at customs in Canada". You call customer service and they give you no reason other than "it's late".

The return trips, for me, are even worse. Mine are always from NYC back home and the buses are always either extremely late or uncomfortably crowded. Not to mention there's no bus shelter so if there's crappy weather you're standing directly in it for however long, the sometimes very rude employees that are at the bus stop and how disorganized the stop is as well. I once stood in line for close to 2 hours (I was one of the first people there) and got on the bus last because people that were at the end of the line got on first. How that makes sense I'm not sure. I guess you truly get what you pay for when it comes to Megabus.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My bus was supposed to arrive at 11:59 pm on 1/18/19. We called because the bus was not there and was told there was a “severe delay”, no explanations just a delay. Got a text and email at 12:43 am stating it was a delay because of traffic. We called numerous times and customer service was very rude and not explain to us what was going on with the bus. Only asked us to Call back later if the bus didn’t arrive. They were closed when we tried to call back at 1:30 am. We started calling an after hours number that no one picked up, kept looping saying all lines are busy. I started contacting them on Facebook and Twitter, by this time it was around 2:30/2:40. They replied lying stating the bus had come at 2:08 and left 2:25. No bus ever came. There were several of us out there waiting.

At 3 am I decided to take my 10 year old daughter home because we had now been out there for three hours and it was extremely cold. I called Megabus customer service this morning and was told I could not get a refund. I paid $162 for a round trip for a family emergency and the bus never showed. I wanted my money back, they said no. I asked to speak with a manager and he stated there was nothing he could do. Asked to speak with someone above him and he refused stating they wouldn’t do anything either. I told him at that time, "I would dispute this with my bank because instead of being rude you all should be trying to find out why the driver didn’t show." Now I’m at home in Charlotte when I should be in VA taking care of things for my deceased husband and they have no empathy nor do they care.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

After double booking a trip for 4 tickets instead of 2, and not realizing it until I took the trip, I was told no refunds and no exchange. I was told I made the mistake. I was told I made the error and I was told I was in the wrong. As a customer this is enraging. Completely unacceptable service telling the customer they are wrong. They can do, but won't do and they have made their policy so that the customer is beneath them. I still blame the website for the error, as it does not show you a full basket of your items at checkout before confirming... Terrible outdated customer service. I don't make a lot of money, and I feel as though I have been taken advantage of.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

My sister and I were traveling back home on Jan 10 to Atlanta. The driver Scott was very pleasant and he made everybody feel very welcome and comfortable. We made a pit stop in Tifton Ga. for 30 mins to get something to eat. One of the passenger wasn't back in 30 mins. He went back in the truck stop and look for the passenger to let them know we were fixing to leave. Not only did he let the passenger know what was going on but he also gave the passenger a few mins due to the restaurant was cooking her food fresh.

Most drivers would have taken off and left the passenger there stranded. I had read stories where the driver has left people before because they didn't care or they were tired of waiting. If there were more drivers like Scott who care about their customers a lot of places wouldn't get bad reviews and a lot of customers would be happy. Scott went above and beyond. Drivers like Scott makes a trip more pleasant when they have a great personality and care about their passengers.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I wish I could give Megabus 0 stars. I bought two tickets and got to the stop early. I waited AN HOUR during Christmas excited to get home. And the bus never showed up. I didn’t get to go home for Christmas, and customer service was just as unreliable. It took 4 weeks for them to respond just to say that they couldn’t issue a refund, or ticket exchange regardless of whether or not the bus showed up. DO NOT BUY TICKETS FROM MEGABUS. When your bus doesn’t show up that’s money down the drain because once the ticket time passes, you can’t get a refund or exchange either. Your chances are better walking to your destination.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I wish I could give NO star to this company. It is terrible, irresponsible and all the bad adjectives you can find in the dictionary! I purchased a round trip ticket from Boston-New York for today? January 10, 2019. I arrived at 5:30 AM and at 5:50 AM the bus didn’t stop and just drove by. I found out later that 6:00 bus was canceled. I didn’t get any notice; I tried to call customer service which opens at 6:30 AM and no help at all. I tried to catch the 7:00 and the driver very rude, didn’t allow me to be in the bus. In a nutshell, it was a terrible, terrible experience. I will make a complaint with BBB.org and BOSTON Attorney General. This company is just taking people money and something has to be done. Period!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Worst experience ever! Would never ever use their services again. My bus was supposed to leave at 11 pm on 01/02/2019 and I got to the bus on time. Driver was yelling at me (literally screaming) and trying to rush me. I politely asked if we still had some time. That when the whole attitude has started. Driver didn’t allowed to go into bus and was demanding me to apologize. End up calling their customer service but it was totally helpless. Their customer service is totally joke. I felt really insulted.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Megabus is very misleading. Their customer service is pitiful, with some of the rudest and most unhelpful service providers I have ever encountered, providing absolutely no assistance with your issue. Their departure times are never accurate, they either depart too early or hours later, and when you call customer service for assistance they do absolutely nothing to help you, other than tell you to either purchase another ticket or pay the exchange fee for their incompetence.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

The customer service is terrible and supervisor are idiots without common sense of good service. While trying to do a ticket exchange they charged me for the cancelled ticket and the new changed one. While they acknowledge the cancelation the money was not refunded or credited to my account. The website for changes is deceptive and misleading with the only intention of taking your money. This tactics use do not appear to be ethical or legal. We all should report to BBB. I have done so already as the first step.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Never use their Megabus services in the future. I have to pay additional fees to reschedule my trip or it's not refundable. They take advantage of such circumstances. Avoid Megabus services if you want to save your money.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I booked a ticket to NYC to visit family on Christmas. My bus was Christmas Day at 2:00 pm. The bus was practically empty, yet I was denied entry because I had two pieces of luggage, and their policy states any more than one and entry will be denied. I offered an arm and a leg in cash to just let me go and see family, yet no attention was paid by the company. They wouldn't even change the ticket time for free. The fact that this can happen to someone on Christmas shows how uncaring this company is. I will never ride Megabus again. I'm one of few people who actually have the power to spite this company in that I host 300+ AirBnB guests per month. So I'll be using this soapbox to tell every single one of my yearly 4000+ guests not to use this service.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I had exactly a day and a half to spend with my family in New York for the holidays and so I booked an overnight trip on Megabus from Toronto to New York that was to arrive 8:10am in New York Saturday, December 22. The Megabus arrived late in Toronto after I was standing for almost a hour in the terminal in the cold. The bus left 8:35pm instead of 8:00pm and stopped everywhere despite the fact we were clearly running behind schedule.

I arrived in New York at 10:30am, two and a half hours late with no apology whatsoever from the driver and to compound an already frustrating situation, the wifi on the bus was not working and I had no means to communicate with my arranged pickup that I was running late and so I was left stranded in New York city for several hours. I think it is safe to say Megabus will not be my transportation of choice ever again. I was excited for my trip and was left severely disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I had the most disappointing experience with Megabus in the attempt to send my son to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. After sitting at the bus stop for about an hour the bus did not show up. I called Saturday morning, the representative was rude and only provided an email. I sent the email and received a response saying that it's my fault for missing the bus and they would not refund me my $20.00. Come on this is a $20.00 ticket. Why in the hell would someone lie for this minimal amount. I'm now requesting management because their service is horrific! This was my first and last time trying to use this transportation service! BadgerBus in Wisconsin is so much better. They actually show up!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Hello my name is **. My husband and myself very loyal customers. We also served in the military. Which makes us veteran. We fought and served for America. On Dec 2 2018 at the boarding of my trip at 5:46pm a customer was sitting in my reserve seat. I told her politely she was sitting in my seat. She responded back "which one". By then I knew she didn’t have a reserve seat at all period. I went to the bus. Driver told him what happen and I also explain she didn’t have a reserve seat and threatening me and how I feel scared and uncomfortable. He went to my seat, ask her to move and she said no then he told me to go sit somewhere else. I was confused and disappointed and upset. The customer was threatening me the whole time calling me foul names.

I went to another seat which was someone else seat. Before the driver was about to switch out I went down to him and ask him for his name he said "I not giving you my name. You don’t need it. All you need is the bus number 709." The drivers switched out then we made it to Durham NC. I went to that driver explain everything what happen he ask to see my ticket. Went to her ask for her ticket. He explained to her that she sitting in a reserve seat and she have to seat behind seat number 16 in general seats. She got her things and left. While she walking to her seat she look at me said she want to slap me and other negative things.

I moved to my reserve seat. My husband was on the phone the whole time. I hung up with him and I called Megabus. I would like to know the driver name of the bus 709 who didn’t handle the situation. I applaud the driver who did handle the situation according. He was the driver that switched out at the Garner, NC with him. The description of the driver tall ** male with glasses mid 50's. The only thing Megabus did was refund 3 dollars and supervisor kept hanging up in my face when I ask for the whole amount I paid back bus driver name. Very bad customer service!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I booked 4 bus tickets of Megabus from Charlotte, NC to Washington DC, followed by bus from DC to New York and the flight to Beijing, China. I got the confirmation with the address of the station for departure, Bus Bay #3 Whitton Street, between Dewitt Ln and South Blvd. When I went to the station and waited for more than an hour, I was told by other passengers that Megabus had changed the departure station for this trip. However, I never got any update for my tickets and there is no any notice or sign at the address on my tickets to inform the change. For Megabus' fault, I missed their bus, also the followed bus from Washington D.C to New York. For catching the flight back to China, I have to pay more than 1300 dollars for my family flying to New York instead.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My fault. I chose an incorrect day for departure and used their trade in feature. I was fine with taking an extra fee to change the ticket date. The new ticket was less expensive and there was a credit left over from the original ticket I purchased. They don't allow you to use the difference to pay a change penalty and another booking fee. FINE... What I was not ok with was Megabus keeping the difference/leftover credit to the ticket I purchased. Customer service explained any difference left over is forfeit. Corporate theft at its best. Not a great business model.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Worst customer service ever from NYC to Baltimore! Employees were rude and incompetent, buses were overbooked...lots of angry customers. Dispatcher was rude and lying to everyone about future buses. After waiting for three hours in the cold we finally ended up taking the train.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Prior to my Houston trip of 11/27/18 all reviews except one warned us not to plan leaving our cars at the station. On arrival at Grand Prairie, I was met by Mr. ** as well as Mr. **, not only did they politely and patiently work with my accent, they clearly showed me where to drop-off my luggage and precisely pointed out their gravel- site parking lot. My brand new car was still safe on return 3-days later. The WiFi-use to/fro were superb. I personally complimented the two female drivers that to us to & from Houston. I didn’t get to use the bathroom but the inside of both buses were clean.

There was no disruption of any kind. Above all, the entire trip cost me less than $15. I’m disappointed though to learn about non-accreditation from you but I’ll still use them again. I thought buses get road-worthy and Schools get accreditation? But simply. I need all to know you can sign some papers and leave your vehicle at Grand Prairie while you’re gone for no longer than 7 days. The front parking is strictly for drop-offs.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Nov 26, 2018 @ 130 am a Megabus Driver lost his temper, hit a lady & choked her husband after arriving late to Los Angeles from Las Vegas 545 pm departure. Called customer service which is routed to India & they could care less! They hung up on me 5 times! Megabus allows violent drivers to work for them! He should be arrested!!! Never again shall I ride that unprofessional bus line!!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I had an prospective client interview in Tampa and as I am from New York, I thought I would try the Megabus instead of renting a car, paying for petrol, etcetera, etcetera. Well needless to say, it never happened and below is what happened. I sent an email on the 23/Oct/18 to state that there seemed to be an issue with their system as it would not take my credit cards. Yes that is right, I stated cards. We tried multiple times from the 23 - 24/Oct to buy a ticket, the price kept getting higher and higher the closer we go to our departure date. This was their response on the 25/Oct:

"We're sorry to hear you are unable to purchase a ticket on our website. To protect our customers, we have industry standard fraud checks in place on our website payment page. It appears that your card has come up under these fraud checks preventing you from making a payment on our website. As per the email address or Worldpay provided and checking the payment records, we show the payment was not processed. Payment history: 24/Oct/2018 - 12:44 REFUSED [internal], 24/Oct/2018 - 12:44 SENT_FOR_AUTHORISATION. Please visit the website at http://us.megabus.com to purchase a new reservation. If you would still like to purchase a ticket on our website, we suggest asking a friend or family member to make the purchase on your behalf. We truly apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."

This was our response: "Apologies for my delayed response but I have actually been busy but I did want to respond. Between my husband and myself we have tried (12), count them, (12) different credit cards, personal and business, on your site to no avail. Your system is highly flawed and we will never attempt to use or suggest it to anyone. Instead we have let everybody know that you have set up your system to make even more money off people that would have to call in. You are unreliable and apparently are independently wealthy since it took you so long to respond to our inquiry.

"We understand that Florida is the identity theft capital of the world but it is not your job to manage people’s forms of payment. It is the consumers. We have tried to use your system twice now, once in 2011 and once this year. The first time you took our money and then refused to let our 78yo Uncle on board since he did not print out the receipt and only had it on his phone, and then refuse to refund us so we had to file a chargeback. By the way...we won.

"Then due to your shady service we had to scramble to get him from Hartford to Manhattan during a snowstorm. His trip started @ 05.30 am and he did not arrive in Manhattan until 20.30 due to other arrangements that had to be made. And this time, I just called a Lyft to get to my client meeting since your customer service is definitely “American” standard. (Which in case you do not know, means subpar at best. "We want your money, but do not ask for any help of any kind as we will not drag our lazy selves to do anything, to help anyone, in a timely manner.") Your company is the reason why business owners like myself outsource and refuse to hire Americans in general. Thank you for your time, and please note there is no need to respond." So from what I have seen on this site, I would recommend just taking Amtrak. It is always late but you will get there eventually.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

On October 27, 2018, I made 2 reservations with Megabus. One going from Birmingham, Alabama to Atlanta Georgia and the other going from Atlanta, Georgia to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I realized that I booked the trips to leave on 10/27/18; but I actually wanted to leave on 10/28/18. I went back on the website and changed my reservation. I have 6 emails from Megabus confirming what I did. 2 emails confirming the original reservations, 2 emails canceling the original reservations, and 2 emails showing the amended reservations for the new departure date. After I arrived home, I checked my bank account and saw a duplicate charge for $81.50. I called right away to have the fee reversed. The person I spoke to said that I double booked the trip and since the trip passed they could not reverse the charge. I explained to them several times that I DID NOT double book the trip.

The person just kept repeating herself like a robot saying the same thing, "You double booked your reservation. According to the terms we cannot reverse the charge. Is there anything else I can help you with?" Frustrated, I hung up. I called again on November 2nd and spoke to Peter. He said he would send it to escalations and I should hear back from them within 3-5 business days. As of today, 11/20/18, I still hadn't heard back. I called again today and spoke to Justin who said he couldn't help me and then he transferred me to the supervisor Latoya.

She got on and said I understand you double booked your trip and are requesting a refund. I told her that that is not correct. Nothing was double booked. Had it been double booked, I would have had another email (I only have the 6 mentioned above) then she started repeating herself like a robot too... "You double booked your trip and according to the terms, you cannot be reimbursed. Is there anything else I can help you with?" I am extremely upset and dissatisfied. This is NOT the first issue I have had with Megabus but it will be my LAST time using them. Every time I have used Megabus there has been an issue - from stolen luggage to rude and inappropriate drivers. Their services may be cheap but MOST DEFINITELY not worth taking the risk. You get what you pay for!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Very rude guy that checks tickets. I took my 13yr son to the Orlando bus stop to meet his 18yr cousin so they could ride down to Fort Lauderdale together. The guy that checks tickets told me my son cannot ride. I asked why. He said he was too young. I told him you just checked his cousin's ticket and he said, "How do I know that's his cousin's." I said I don't care if you know it's his damn cousin and he's getting on the bus, and yes I'm pissed at this point. Then he asks what's the last name. My son answers. He looks at my son with a attitude and says, "I'm not talking to you," so I said, "Don't talk to my son like that." He gets all mad. After all said and done my son and his cousin's got on the bus. This guy needs to be fired. He's very rude and disrespectful. Now I know why he is behind a glass window checking tickets. Never again will we use this company. There is way too many other bus companies besides this ** one.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

The first time I missed my stop. Ended up in downtown Houston. At 1 in the morning. My booking this time was the wrong date. They neglected to send a follow up e-mail not like last time. No one helped get me rebooked, no discount, nothing to help me. So no refund or anything I just have to. It another ticket. I was not trying to say anything bad but each time I go Megabus I get mega headaches.

Megabus Company Information