Megabus

Compare Transportation & Rideshare Apps

Research top Transportation & Rideshare Apps recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Megabus is only good for one thing; cheap price. You must be prepared and expect that the cheap price will also equal low service. The stops are typically outside. The only way to communicate to their "Customer Service" (for lack of a better term) is via telephone and I'm not sure if they're even in the United States. We called about a bus that was scheduled to leave Richmond, VA at 8:10p traveling to Hampton, VA. When we called, we were hung up on twice after asking to speak with a supervisor who may be able to better explain the delay even though we were very calm.

Each time we called regarding the whereabouts of the bus, we were given a scripted answered "the bus is delayed due to high traffic in the area, please call back in 10 mins for update"; however, there was NEVER an update. We also found out that another bus, outside of Megabus, would be coming but no estimated time of arrival. The substitute bus finally arrived 50 mins late. If you're looking for a cheap adventure, Megabus would be PERFECT for you. Also, be sure to travel with a buddy to keep you calm and occupied in dealing with the entire ordeal.

I rode the Megabus on two separate occasions trying to save money for other things and my experience was HORRIBLE. The buses are always late arriving but not leaving. The drivers don't seem friendly or like they even appreciate having a job nowadays. My latest experience was the most unacceptable customer service ever! My reservation was to leave CHI/TN at 8:50 am in which I get an email notification one hour before stating the bus will be leaving hour later now at 9:50 am. I then receive another email notification the bus will be leaving at the original scheduled time. Please be advised this is all in the same morning last minute emails.

I then called customer service for verification and was told by someone in NJ call center the bus is still leaving late so when I arrive 45 min early, I was told the bus left. I spoke to a manager Asha who was unapologetic and understanding with Megabus internal glitch. She begins to try and tell me what my responsibility is versus how to fix their internal mistake. I was then forced to purchase a one way ticket for rescheduling as if I did something wrong. Honestly you get what you pay for. If you can affords to travel Greyhound please do so!

I purchased a ticket and they would not allow the young man to board the bus neither would they refund the ticket. I called customer service and they were rude. Before even knowing my issue they wanted me to know they were not refunding my money. Absolutely RUDE!!!

This afternoon when I getting ready to head back to Bishop today, My phone had rang and turned out be nephew. It was brought to my attention that this bus driver would not help him in any shape or form then laughed at him. My nephew was diagnosed with cancer and this wheelchair is his way to get around. I specifically remember my sister calling and explained that they had needed wheelchair accessible.

Was very excited when Megabus added service between Grand Rapids, Mi and Ann Arbor. Was I wrong!!! The instructions said to arrive 15 min early. Bus was over an hour late. Very dark, no shelter at the bus station. Called customer service - they have no clue about when a bus should arrive or if it's late. I find that hard to believe in the day of GPS. EMAIL, CELL phones that you cannot not advise if your bus is late. I can track a FEDEX package!!! Don't even think the call center I got was in the USA, very uncaring, robot like. Paid extra for a confirmed seat, That didn't happen, they sent another bus. So no reserved seating. Biggest complaint, LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE, HORRIBLE, VERY LONG DELAYS, they should at least send out a text or email advising if a delay over 30 min.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Megabus?

** sucks. Took off from MA to NY, The bus said free Wi-Fi and power outlets. I got on the bus and they were doing work on it right in front of us with a loud drill (mind you, it's 6-7 in the morning, once we start going the driver says the Wi-Fi doesn't work and that there's no power. My way back from NY to MA, had a reservation for 2:15 to head back, I copied the address off the website to go to the bus stop. I waited from 1:45 to 2:30 and no bus arrived. So I called customer service and I got hung up on. I walked around the corner and seen another bus stop and talked to a worker. They said my bus had left. The website gave me the wrong bus stop address. I called customer service once again and right as I told them what had happened I got hung up on again. Finally, a third time, I made a point that I would call all day and mentioned how everyone was such ** and miserable people.

A guy from customer support said I had to pay $5 for each ticket when the next bus stops which was in 4 hours. I was checked out of my hotel, had a couple of heavy bags with me and a phone on 50% and I was forced to wait 4 hours for the next bus. And I know $5 a seat with only two seats isn't a lot of money but I think it's ** that I had to pay more money when I had already paid $130 for the round trip bus tickets for their ** up mistake. Highly don't recommend this bus company unless you want your trip to suck there and back.

Purchase a ticket for 2 different days to leave for a funeral and then come back but they sent them, switch my tickets to leave it out the same day from two different cities, fake computer malfunction and they don't charge me and take my money and tell me it's no, I can't get a refund. It because their system messed up.

I am writing a review about Mega Bus. This the third time I've rode Megabus. I can only remember three drivers names Henry, Steve, Marjorie. I felt extremely comfortable riding with them. They were very professional and the ride could not have been any smoother.

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE customer service! DO NOT RIDE!!!! My brother showed the wrong transaction email and was not allowed on the bus. The email had the price of the ticket, time and date of purchase and transaction ID. He was not allowed to board the bus. Megabus would not change the reservation, give a refund, or allow him to board the bus. I called customer service. It was a waste of time. They just told me all I can do is purchase another ticket. JERMAINE, a SUPERVISOR, hung up in my face while I was speaking with him! I cannot believe the rudeness of the customer service supervisor.

We travel out from VA to Atlanta round trip on megabus. The day we were scheduled to leave we get there at 930 for 10 am bus and our bus is cancelled out nowhere so they lied and claim they sent us email... No email sent... Then they lied and stated there were anymore buses going to Richmond today. Another lie. Then we spoke to the rudest customer service ever who didn't want to stay phone and help us. I Hate megabus and will never use again. If you know like I know find a different source of transportation. Don't waste your time or money... We will be sitting here for next 10 hours waiting for another bus out on the street because it's not a station.

I left one Blue Kipling bag on Oct 06,2016 from LOS - LAS. I called right away the customer service and ask me to send the emails to their lost and found department. And I got a reply two days after (Oct 08) by saying that it took approximately 7-10 business days to receive a response from their lost and found department for they must undergo a thorough investigation.

And Oct 10, another emails came which said that they were unable to locate my recently lost baggage. Then Oct 12, They sent me mails and gave me a number to called. As I'm leaving US now so I ask my friend who is staying in STATE to make a call and said that they were unable to located my bag and if there's any update so they will contact my friend back.

The things that I couldn't understand is How come that they don't have any idea where my bag is right now. As I met One Guy from Megabus in Vegas Bus Station, he said he found my bag and He gave my bag to the driver to handed over with the Lost and Found department. As FYI from Vegas they do have only 3 destinations (Anaheim CA, Los Angeles CA , Riverside CA). And I don't think so that they don't have the Driver contact number and where did the driver go after Vegas. Called him and Investigate. Anyway, I'm just Hoping that I will get my bag back. Thanks.

I purchased a bus ticket for my soon to be wife and unborn child from Chicago to Memphis only because I couldn't get her when she was ready to go so her bus was scheduled to leave at 8 pm so she was there at 7:15 so the whole time I'm on the phone with her. As buses started to pull up she wasn't sure of which bus being her first time. So seven months pregnant she asked one bus driver was he driving the bus to Memphis and his response was, let's just say nothing nice.

So her and two more ladies were looking for the same bus and due to the unfriendly service when they got a answer from the only driver that likes his job they were told that the bus had just pulled off. So my pregnant wife to be and the other ladies were left on the side of the road on a cold Chicago night all because rude unhappy employees and no one cares but I will talk to the other ladies and then go from there before I let them endanger my family but don't use Megabus. They're cruel crooks.

My son booked a ticket from Des Moines to Chicago. Although the passengers were not informed why, he texted that their bus would be arriving about an hour late. About an hour after that text, he called to inform us that the bus was at a gas station about an hour and 25 minutes outside of Chicago and that the driver had met his maximum driving hours so Megabus had to dispatch a relief driver. I called to inquire why they would assign a driver who would be unable to complete the trip without exceeding his driving hours and to ask WHEN the relief driver would arrive to drive the rest of the way into Chicago. The FIRST time I called I was told they had no information and then I was hung up on. I called again and connected to someone who seemed like he wanted to help and was trying to reach dispatch to get some answers but then the phone line was "dropped".

I call a THIRD time and was told that a driver had been dispatched but that they couldn't give me any idea of how far he was to the bus. I asked to speak to a supervisor who just apologized again but did not provide any information. Again, he was rude and condescending. In the time I've been on the phone, I could have been well on my way to pick my son up and bring him home myself. It is completely unacceptable that they have no idea how far away the relief driver is or how long the passengers will waiting on the bus. I have NEVER experienced such incompetence. Totally dissatisfied.

My boyfriend and I rode on the Megabus on September 11th from Omaha to Iowa City. Everything was fine with the ride but as soon as the bus was gone we had realized that we had forgotten our Nintendo 3DS on the bus with a game from GameFly in it. I contacted the lost and found through email on the same day and received an email a day later saying that they have the Nintendo 3DS and that I needed to contact them to get it back. I then proceeded to play phone tag with lost and found for 2 weeks until they stopped responding. My boyfriend finally got a hold of them and they said we needed to set up a FedEx account to get it back, which was no big deal to us.

A few days later my boyfriend contacted Nintendo to see about transferring games and found out that the Nintendo 3DS had been wiped and a new account had been added to it on September 15th, four days after the ride, sending an email, and receiving an email that it was found. The 3DS was $200 not including the large amount of digitally downloaded games on it and the fee to GameFly for the lost game. An email was sent to inquiries and nothing has been heard from since.

Megabus has the worst customer service I've ever experienced in my life! I had several issues with purchasing my ticket because I had to trade them in for a different time and they charged me almost fifty bucks! And then the bus that was taking my son to Chicago arrived 2 hours late and they will not compensate me, they will only give me $25 towards another ride, which I will never use their service again! Do not use!!!

The whole megabus experience started out badly when I was unable to find the bus stop going from Chicago to Madison. Apparently I was at the right bus stop,

***************Note to approver: review found here https://www.yelp.com/biz/megabus-chicago?hrid=Nj9fbM1XnnifFOh32PltWg&utm_campaign=www_review_share_popup&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=(direct)******************

but asking people around as it was only 5 minutes left for departure, and no sign of a megabus, I was guided to another bus stop 4 blocks away, where there was another megabus, going somewhere else. I asked about the destination, and got a rude reply. Explaining customer service my situation, I understood that I had to buy a new ticket for 47 USD, a lot more than my previous one, and that I couldnt buy it on the bus. The bus was acually a Van Gelder Coach USA bus, and one can purchase tickets on the bus for 30 USD! Now I dont expect a five star experience, just to be able to find the bus and get to my destination, not to be ripped off and just regular good manners from the people working here. Going back to Chicago I chose Van Gelder. Im am very displeased with your service and have posted very negative reviews in all public forums I could think of. Please, megabus, do better.

I am so so unhappy right now. Very rude guy I spoke with telling him "I need to reschedule my ticket" and said "I can't" and just hang up on me without letting me finish talking. Like am so pissed right now. Bad customer service. This is the 3rd time I will be experiencing this from Megabus.

I recently booked a ticket from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Atlanta, Georgia about two weeks ago. This was one of the worse travel decisions I have ever made. I arrived to the dimly lit, dangerous bus stop at 9:15 for a 10:00 p.m. bus that NEVER SHOWED. I called the customer service line at 10:15 asking where the bus was and they said they didn't have GPS on the bus so they didn't know where the bus was. She just told me to continue to wait at the bus stop for the bus to show up... So, I waited... And waited and waited... Finally, at 10:45, I left. The person who brought me to the bus stop works nights and wasn't going to wait all night for a bus that might not ever show. He wasn't going to dare leave me there because mind you, the bus stop is in a very dangerous part of town. In addition, it's not lit whatsoever!!!

That next Monday I called customer service letting them know my plight. I kept getting emails stating I would not get a refund. So, I emailed Corporate. I did get a response but nothing has been resolved. I called customer service again today and once again, instead of listening to my issue, the man on the phone just kept saying, "You're not getting a refund." In addition, he kept referring me to email the same people that I had already been emailing for over a week with no resolve!!!

I'm going to keep on calling and emailing until I get my money back. At this point, it's not about the money they owe me, but the principle. How dare they offer a service, get paid and when it comes time to complete the service, they are nowhere to be found. That is flat out thievery. Oh yeah, I failed to mention there was an older lady at the same bus stop waiting on the 8 p.m. bus that NEVER SHOWED UP. I should have paid heed to all of the HORRIBLE reviews this company gets on various sites. I don't care how cheap the ticket is, save your money and a headache.

I was able to travel with my child round trip for 56.00. This was my first time using Megabus, and my daughter and I are already planning future trips. The WiFi didn't work, but I am not sure why but for the price I paid... No big deal. The Drivers were polite and I am grateful for the service.

I arranged for my kids to take Megabus from DC (Union Station) to Philadelphia last weekend. While their trip up went smoothly, they ran into a glitch getting on the bus back and it wound up leaving without them. Rather than being helpful, every Megabus person they encountered at the bus stop or spoke to on the phone either walked away from them or hung up on them. When I then contacted Customer Service after my kids finally made it home I was told that there was nothing Megabus could have done to make the situation right. I followed up with Customer Service for clarification and never heard from them at all.

We had a reservation for the 8:00 am on Tues, Aug 30th from Boston to New York on the Megabus. It left on time. When we arrived at the point where the replacement bus driver was supposed to meet us, we were told he would be delayed as he left his wallet at home. After waiting over 30 minutes, the driver arrived. With no explanation or apology, he started the bus. I realize you cannot control the flow of traffic or traffic accidents, but I believe you can control the timeliness of your drivers. I feel it shows a lack of responsibility and reliability for the driver not to be on time. We have driven several times from Boston to New York with various bus lines. This year was the first time we used Megabus. On based on the service, I am hesitant to use your line again.

The makeshift bus station in Houston was not pleasant at all. Basically just a trailer set up in a parking lot where the buses pull in to pick you up. The ride was ok, but the drop-off area in Baton Rouge was at the public transit bus station in a very bad part of town. The buses' final destination was New Orleans so I was one of the only people to get off in Baton Rouge. Desperate to contact my friend to come and pick me up ASAP, I forgot to get my bag out of storage. The bus pulled out at 1:00 pm with my bag still on it. A few minutes later a lady showed up and was very upset because she had missed the bus. It left before its scheduled departure time at 1:15 pm leaving her stranded. It was then that I realized that I had left my bag on the bus.

I immediately looked up the number for the bus company and called them. I explained to their employee that my bag was on the bus heading to New Orleans. She said all she could do was submit a lost and found and someone would call me back. She could not tell me how long that would take. I pleaded with her to please get someone in New Orleans to pull my bag so I could come pick it up. She once again reiterated that I would have to wait for a call and was completely rude and unsympathetic. About 30 mins. later I received a call from the lost and found department. They said they would see if my bag was on the bus once it arrived in New Orleans and then call me back.

Another hour went by and no one called me. I called again and they said my bag had been found and was going to have to go through their lost and found process. This included my bag being shipped on the same bus back to Houston where it would have to be processed. In other words I was not going to get my bag back anytime soon and they were not going to hold it in New Orleans for me. They refused to tell me where the bus was or if it would be stopping anywhere else nearby so I could get my bag. The two employees I spoke with were once again rude and even condescending. Thankfully my friends were helpful and we managed to figure out by looking on the Megabus website that there would be a bus going to Baton Rouge later that day on the way to Houston.

We decided to see if it was the same bus, and it was. I was able to get my bag back from the driver who had already pulled it out of the main storage compartment. Why on earth they could not have told me on the phone that my bag would be going back to Baton Rouge is beyond me. No doubt it is some stupid rule in the employee hand book or something. Regardless I was very dissatisfied with the way I was treated and the fact that they were basically hijacking my personal belongings which could have simply been curiously returned to me. I seriously doubt that I will ever use this bus company again. They obviously don't care about customer satisfaction at all!

Have taken the Megabus regularly from White Marsh (MD) to Philadelphia (PA). On Sept. 5th, the 6.30 bus from White Marsh arrived at time but the scroller on the bus read Chicago/Cleveland so I stayed in my car waiting for my bus... The idiot driver never changed the scroller. This bus left at 6.35 pm. Again, the moron driver never changed the sign on the bus so I assumed that my bus was late... When I called they informed me that the bus that left at 6.35 was in fact the bus to Phila! I was at the stop 15 min. before the time and missed the bus due to the imbecile driving the bus... I want my money back. Megabus belongs needs to reimburse me for their stupid crew's mistake which lead to me missing the right bus! How can I give Megabus minus stars!

Was injured on a Megabus that was involved in an accident. Attempted to get compensated for medical expenses only to be told that they don't have uninsured motorist coverage (the other vehicle did not stop) and they don't have medical coverage so "there is nothing we can do for you"! I was speechless. I am required to have those coverages on my vehicle so how are they allowed to operate without it. When you travel on Megabus you take your life into your own hands. By the way Greyhound HAS full coverage and their prices are very comparable. They are also way more on schedule than Megabus. Can you guess who I will be travelling with in the future?

The bus I rode was suppose to arrive to pick me up in Louisville at 11:59pm but didn't arrive until 12:40am. After getting on the bus, they decided to make 2 rest stops. Considering the bus arrived late, you would think they would try and make up that lost time. Instead, the rest stops caused my bus to arrive at my destination at 6:45am. The original arrival time was suppose to be 4:59am. Because of this delay, I missed my flight and had to pay for an additional flight.

I tried calling the company to express my concern and each time I request for a supervisor they hung up on me. I was told all customer complaints had to be sent via email, which I did... A week ago, and I still haven't received a response. I just tried calling again and Megabus hung up on me three separate times. This is probably the worse customer service I have ever experienced. The fact that I couldn't request to speak with a supervisor is mind blowing. How is this company still in business? Who accepts responsibility for these issues? Anyone trying to use this company need to make other travel arrangements for their needs. This complaint will also be filed with the Better Business Bureau.

Megabus!!! Never again!!! It's a black hole if you want to speak with someone on the phone. I miss my bus because car service broke down. When I did arrive at the bus stop the young man told me to come back the next night they will Honor the tickets... NOT true!!! I have to purchase ticket there, that were more money, go online on the bus and purchase another ticket. :( Yes Megabus! I understand it's not your fault car service broke down, but the least they could have done is honor the already purchase ticket for the next day!!!! IT'S A MONEY MAKING BUSINESS AND THERE'S NO HUMANITY OR HONOR IN THIS BUS COMPANY.

Their bus pulled out of the walkie station without picking up passengers. The bus has been delayed. Clearly the guy wanted to take off this soon as he could. I tried to flag down the bus driver but he just drove by me. Several of us - I would estimate 10 people - were left stranded in Milwaukee. We ended up taking a taxi to Chicago. Please Megabus people are totally unscrupulous.

My team and I took the Megabus from Chicago to Minneapolis. It was the most unsafe travel of all my Megabus experiences. It was after the Mauston stop that myself and my team noticed the bus going really slow (where other small cars and trucks were passing us) and swerving from left to right. Two of my teammates went to the lower level to see if the bus driver was falling asleep. I followed them. Standing in the back we noticed that he head was nodding downwards. I quickly walked to the front of the bus and noticed that he was holding his phone and looking at it and the road, which caused his head to be nodding up and down.

I asked him what was going on and he quickly put his phone away. He didn't answer my question. He just stated that a water bottle had fallen from the upper level and asked me to pick it up. I did so and went back upstairs in hopes that he would stop looking at his phone and start driving the speed limit. The bus continued to go slowly and swerved left to right. One of my teammates contacted the Megabus customer service. He was told that they would contact the bus driver. Nothing happened. We arrived to our destination 1 hour late. Reservation number **.

Stay away from this company. They change itinerary after buying ticket which included a three hour stay over in DC at 3 a.m. in the morning. On return home bus didn't show up. The next bus that showed up couldn't help. No refund. Rude on phone. They lied when I called them about the itinerary going to Virginia and told me I would not have to get off bus in Washington. So horrible, so rude. I came to the conclusion they just don't care. I guess they feel because the ticket price is low they can treat people with no respect. I would never take another trip on their bus. Their level of service has gone completely down. Nightmare!!!

08/12/2016 my daughter was supposed to be on the Megabus at 230... Well the bus never showed. The bus that did stated he wasn't going to Cincinnati, Ohio but to Chicago. When I called each time your employees treated us unfairly and rude. They laughed and hung up on us. They would not place a supervisor. We were denied to speak with one to resolve this issue. They stated that there is no supervisor to help with this issue. They spoke very little English language. They were very unprofessional and we have use this service before we dealt with the bus being late for whatever reasons. This takes the cake. No bus never showed and they were nasty to us. They would hang up each time we called. I won't ever use them again or recommend them to anyone for any reason.

This is the worst customer service ever. Basically they rob people of their hard earned money and get away with it. I don't appreciate this rude unprofessional service. I work hard just like the next person on this planet. We shouldn't be treated the way we were. I don't care if the ticket was one or a million dollars. Nobody deserves to be treated in this fashion base on how your employees treated us unfairly targeted by these racist ** speaking people. I hope Megabus gets shut down. It's like speaking to a wall or trump.

Megabus Company Profile