1.18/5

645 Megabus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 2, 2019

Since when do drivers stop for a smoke break? This is ridiculous, this is not a party bus. We should not really be stopping period unless emergency. We stopped for a smoke break .... a smoke break. That’s horrible.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have never had a worse experience with a travel company. Even RyanAir was a more welcoming and easy to deal with company. Trying to book a ticket for a ride from Cincinnati, Ohio to Chicago, Illinois was one of the most frustrating experiences. So frustrating that I eventually gave up. My first attempt to book was met with a message saying that something went wrong during the payment method. No problem, I'll try again. Same message the second time. I tried a different card. Same message. I checked my bank account and there were purchases that were made and then immediately rescinded so my information was correct. I then struggled to find a way to contact Megabus to find out the problem.

Eventually I found a way to email them. When I received a response, they told me that my cards were coming up on their "Standard Fraud Checks" and that I should have "another person buy my ticket for me." So I tried that. My uncle was unable to buy a ticket, same message. My mom was unable to buy a ticket after trying two cards, same message. After emailing them again asking how this could happen and that it might be a site problem, they informed me that it was definitely an issue on our side. It was at this point that I asked to talk to someone on the phone and never received a response. This was my first and last time dealing with Megabus and all because I just wanted to get a simple bus ride to Chicago. I wanted to give them my money but I guess they didn't want. A 0 out of 5 would be a better review for this company. Not surprised my experience was like this after reading all the other reviews.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have been riding Megabus from 2 years now and sometimes the fare prices are very affordable. But that doesn't mean that I get to ride a ** bus. The bus I usually take is the round trip from Memphis to Dallas during night. The reclining seats in the bus are very bad and they doesn't work. The passengers are forced to sit in them for 8+ hours without comfort and in pain. While getting down, there will be lot of pain in my back due to sitting in that uncomfortable seat for too long. And also the driver's attitude is bad and they doesn't have patience and generally have bad mouth. Megabus being one of the top transportation services in USA, must fix the issues and offer better customer services.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Wish there was a zero to rate them. My daughter arrived 10 minutes early to catch the bus, she waited until 3 minutes after the bus was supposed to leave then called Megabus. They told her that they could put her on a later bus. When we called to get the later bus we were informed that we had to purchase another ticket AND pay $7 to book over the phone. I explained what happened and what I was told, they said that the bus actually left 28 minutes late. I explained that we had called and no one informed us of a delay, they said that their systems don't update that quickly. I tried to explain that we followed all of the steps... Arrived early, called when the bus wasn't there, then called back as instructed. They put a supervisor on the phone that said if we do not wish to purchase a ticket they would have to end the call. Then she hung up on me!!!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I will never use Megabus again until they get drivers that has respect for other people and who is not rude with and attitude problem. Bus 567 From Dallas to Memphis that left out on March 14th 2019 and will be arriving in Memphis at 645 am on Friday morning March 15th 2019 needs to be at another job that she like if she is not a people's person 'cause her attitude and mouth is going to get her in a lot of trouble 'cause she has the wrong person mother to get smart with and disrespectful. This is the worst and downright disgraceful driver that I have ever had since I first started riding with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Megabus?

Original review: March 14, 2019

I booked a ride on Megabus from Tampa to Orlando and had a flight that night from Orlando Airport to Charlotte. The bus was supposed to leave at 4:55p and arrive in Orlando at 7:25p. My flight was at 9:05p. After 6p and realizing I'd miss my flight if I didn't find an alternate way to get to Orlando, I left and got a ride to Orlando, which cost me more money since I had to compensate the person for gas. With traffic (this was a Thursday night) I arrived at the airport right before they closed the terminal at around 8p.

After being told to contact Megabus on inquiries@megabus.com about my refund request and waiting the 7-10 business days for a response which never happened, I called Megabus only to be HUNG UP ON BY A FEMALE MANAGER with a Spanish accent who REFUSED TO GIVE ME HER NAME. I called back and spoke to another MANAGER NAMED JOHAN who also refused to give me the woman's name as well or to find out who I was speaking with prior. I'm sure this would have been an easy find since most companies take detailed notes regarding a claim which would have reflected the person's name. I was told that it was not Megabus' fault that the BUS ARRIVED AT 6:26P due to traffic and my trip was not refundable.

I repeatedly asked why they would hold a customer responsible for their failure to perform their end of the bargain to arrive at a specific time even if it was out of their control, and I was not given a straight answer. VIOLATING CONTRACT LAW, they refused to give me a refund and didn't seem to care that if I had waited, I would have missed my flight and my trip to Charlotte altogether, which I am sure they would not have compensated me for. SCAMMERS!!! Compensate people when you don't perform your end of the bargain (to arrive on time or within a reasonable time). 1 1/2 hours late is unacceptable and keeping my money was unethical!!!

Original review: March 3, 2019

Call-in customer service center is an ESL site with abysmal and inflexible service. What's the point of having a customer department if all the replies are apologies and denials? Not even a lick of leeway or understanding. This is surely my last time booking through Megabus.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I’m in a bad part of town - it was daylight when bus was supposed to leave. Over 1 1/2 hrs later no bus - it’s dark now. No communication from Mega that I can rely upon. Now I get an email they are 1hr late.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

A terrible experience. The driver is a nasty person, does not know how to talk or treat people, after spending an hour and a half waiting for the bus, the driver said we should make a row of a line back and we ran as he said, but He said that he wants us to be at the end of the line because we were not where he said at first and then he left us last. He closed the doors and we did not ride. It was my first and last time at that stop because neither me or my family will buy a ticket with them again. I am still waiting for the answer of my claim but from my experience I will never again buy a ticket with MEGABUS. I gave them a star because it does not allow me to leave them without any because that's what I gave them - 0 stars.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I bought a ticket online... When I arrived the bus driver said the bus was Full due to a earlier cancelled bus and there's nothing he could do about it. They said I could call customer service and get a refund. When I did the girl gave me attitude and told me I must have been late. I told her it had nothing to do with me being late. It was due to bus being cancelled. They refused to give me a refund so I paid 2x and second time I paid more.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I bought a ticket for myself and then when I got to the bus they made me purchase a ticket for a two tear old child for 40 dollars. I proceed to get on the bus and there was a way that I could have rode the bus but the driver didn’t know how to instruct or do his job. So I had to get off the bus and I proceed to call Megabus and they told me that they don’t refund money and that they want extra money for 2 new tickets. DO NOT BOOK WITH MEGABUS.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I purchased a ticket for a bus from Richmond to Atlanta yesterday. An hour or two after I purchased the ticket realized I wasn't gonna make it to Richmond on time to get the bus. I immediately went back online to try to change the time or even date and the trade ticket link wouldn't light up. So then I called twice spoke to 2 different reps who were beyond rude. They apologized while continuing to talk over me. When I asked to speak with a supervisor they would put me on hold to get one, then come back to the line to say there is no sup available and to call back to speak with sup. I didn't want a refund. I just wanted a different time.

This Megabus experience was the worst travel experience I've ever had to encounter. I will never book with them again and I hope everyone is cautious also when dealing with them because they are deceitful and then rude on top of that as if you have money to just give away. Oh and I forgot to mention that after all this I kept receiving emails that the bus had broken down and they were trying to send another one. These emails came up 'til 7 the next morning and still no bus. So I called back in twice. First rep acted like she was trying to get more information and hung up on me. Second rep said the bus had already left out of Richmond when it broke down! SEE GOD DOESN'T LIKE UGLY!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Rode the Minneapolis to Chicago route, complete with a man talking loudly on the phone about his sexual escapades and lots of cursing, a woman across the aisle smoking, and 2 men in the front of the bus who had to be separated before a fist fight broke out. And the driver was alerted to all of this and did nothing. Complained to Megabus, they offered redemption codes for a future ride. Like I'll ever ride that craphole bus again? Nice try, Megabus.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I was travelling to Philadelphia from DC on Wednesday January 30th 2019, arrived on time. Get on the bus. After waiting for more than 20 minutes the driver announced that the bus has problem with oil cap and should wait another one coming from Rockville in about 30 to 45 minutes. And as a civilized company send text to my phone where I respond, "I have important health issue appointment arranged through complicated manner that I shouldn't be late."

Anyhow the bus arrived after 45 minutes and left after 15 minutes means late 1 hr. When I arrived at my apartment I was late by 1hr and the treatment also late with the same hour late which affect my return schedule, I cut my treatment and run as fast as I can. Arrived 7 minutes late at 0427 at 30th street. Saw one bus and when I get there it was empty but doors open. I got in and the driver was sleeping at the back seats on upper deck, I called him if the bus is for DC, he was awake and say no and yell at me how I get in, told him the door was open and ask him about the DC bus. He said, "I don't know."

I left the bus and run for another bus for Rocki. The driver told no Megabus seen. I ask also the city bus driver parked on the spot. He also told me they didn't see the bus then I go back to the Megabus. I talked earlier and ask him what options do I have, he say he don't know and slam the door on my face. In the mean time I saw a black sedan with M B on its side parked in the lot where two young men sitting and watching their cellphones. I approach them as I guessed they were Megabus staff or supervisors.

When I approach the driver, he hesitated to down the window anyhow told him the situation. He told the bus already left. The next bus is tomorrow morning, I told him I can't stay because I have to go to work early in the morning. He said tomorrow morning and ignored me. I go back to the city bus driver. "What options can I get?" He told me to go to 11th street to get Greyhound bus. Thanks to him and thanks to Greyhound I buy a ticket. Get home finally. What I understand from this is Megabus have very poor, worst customer service and staff. Never use again and never recommend.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

After reading the pros and cons... I decided to try Megabus with an open mind. I was asked to arrive 15 minutes prior to our 10:10 am departure and I did. The weather here in Nashville was a chilly 35 degrees and you wait on the street corner unprotected from the elements for the bus. Finally, at 10:40, a Megabus appears... but not ours. One going on to Chicago instead of Atlanta. The bus driver then tells us that our bus is in Kentucky and won't arrive until after 1 if everything goes ok. No notice from anyone from Megabus about the delay... Only the message from the wrong bus driver. No refunds are given either. You have to rebook within 3 hours for your "refund". Sorry Megabus. You were a Mega Disappointment. I will find more reliable methods of transportation from now on.

I tried. :(

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I am so angry with Megabus. I made a reservation to travel from Boston to NYC. I became ill and was not able to make the trip. I had registered this on their website and received an email confirming that I had cancelled the trip. I was not able to recoup the leg of the trip that went to NYC because there wasn't enough notice. However I was able (or so I thought) to recoup the return trip that was scheduled for several days later. I received an email confirming that I could use this second leg of the trip to book another trip. The email stated that I had a $29.99 credit allowance and that I could use it to book another trip. When I tried to use this credit for another trip, after a l-o-n-g conversation with customer service I was told I could not in fact redeem my credit because I had to rebook within 10 minutes. Nowhere on their email to me was this information listed. Then they hung up on me. Their system is set up to deceive and cheat people.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I've rode with Megabus multiple times (unfortunately) just because of how cheap their tickets are. I usually travel to NYC from upstate NY. I can truthfully say that each time gets worse. There's been times where my bus was supposed to arrive at a certain time but didn't reach until almost an hour & 45 minutes later due to the bus "being stuck at customs in Canada". You call customer service and they give you no reason other than "it's late".

The return trips, for me, are even worse. Mine are always from NYC back home and the buses are always either extremely late or uncomfortably crowded. Not to mention there's no bus shelter so if there's crappy weather you're standing directly in it for however long, the sometimes very rude employees that are at the bus stop and how disorganized the stop is as well. I once stood in line for close to 2 hours (I was one of the first people there) and got on the bus last because people that were at the end of the line got on first. How that makes sense I'm not sure. I guess you truly get what you pay for when it comes to Megabus.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My bus was supposed to arrive at 11:59 pm on 1/18/19. We called because the bus was not there and was told there was a “severe delay”, no explanations just a delay. Got a text and email at 12:43 am stating it was a delay because of traffic. We called numerous times and customer service was very rude and not explain to us what was going on with the bus. Only asked us to Call back later if the bus didn’t arrive. They were closed when we tried to call back at 1:30 am. We started calling an after hours number that no one picked up, kept looping saying all lines are busy. I started contacting them on Facebook and Twitter, by this time it was around 2:30/2:40. They replied lying stating the bus had come at 2:08 and left 2:25. No bus ever came. There were several of us out there waiting.

At 3 am I decided to take my 10 year old daughter home because we had now been out there for three hours and it was extremely cold. I called Megabus customer service this morning and was told I could not get a refund. I paid $162 for a round trip for a family emergency and the bus never showed. I wanted my money back, they said no. I asked to speak with a manager and he stated there was nothing he could do. Asked to speak with someone above him and he refused stating they wouldn’t do anything either. I told him at that time, "I would dispute this with my bank because instead of being rude you all should be trying to find out why the driver didn’t show." Now I’m at home in Charlotte when I should be in VA taking care of things for my deceased husband and they have no empathy nor do they care.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

After double booking a trip for 4 tickets instead of 2, and not realizing it until I took the trip, I was told no refunds and no exchange. I was told I made the mistake. I was told I made the error and I was told I was in the wrong. As a customer this is enraging. Completely unacceptable service telling the customer they are wrong. They can do, but won't do and they have made their policy so that the customer is beneath them. I still blame the website for the error, as it does not show you a full basket of your items at checkout before confirming... Terrible outdated customer service. I don't make a lot of money, and I feel as though I have been taken advantage of.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

My sister and I were traveling back home on Jan 10 to Atlanta. The driver Scott was very pleasant and he made everybody feel very welcome and comfortable. We made a pit stop in Tifton Ga. for 30 mins to get something to eat. One of the passenger wasn't back in 30 mins. He went back in the truck stop and look for the passenger to let them know we were fixing to leave. Not only did he let the passenger know what was going on but he also gave the passenger a few mins due to the restaurant was cooking her food fresh.

Most drivers would have taken off and left the passenger there stranded. I had read stories where the driver has left people before because they didn't care or they were tired of waiting. If there were more drivers like Scott who care about their customers a lot of places wouldn't get bad reviews and a lot of customers would be happy. Scott went above and beyond. Drivers like Scott makes a trip more pleasant when they have a great personality and care about their passengers.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I wish I could give Megabus 0 stars. I bought two tickets and got to the stop early. I waited AN HOUR during Christmas excited to get home. And the bus never showed up. I didn’t get to go home for Christmas, and customer service was just as unreliable. It took 4 weeks for them to respond just to say that they couldn’t issue a refund, or ticket exchange regardless of whether or not the bus showed up. DO NOT BUY TICKETS FROM MEGABUS. When your bus doesn’t show up that’s money down the drain because once the ticket time passes, you can’t get a refund or exchange either. Your chances are better walking to your destination.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I wish I could give NO star to this company. It is terrible, irresponsible and all the bad adjectives you can find in the dictionary! I purchased a round trip ticket from Boston-New York for today? January 10, 2019. I arrived at 5:30 AM and at 5:50 AM the bus didn’t stop and just drove by. I found out later that 6:00 bus was canceled. I didn’t get any notice; I tried to call customer service which opens at 6:30 AM and no help at all. I tried to catch the 7:00 and the driver very rude, didn’t allow me to be in the bus. In a nutshell, it was a terrible, terrible experience. I will make a complaint with BBB.org and BOSTON Attorney General. This company is just taking people money and something has to be done. Period!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Worst experience ever! Would never ever use their services again. My bus was supposed to leave at 11 pm on 01/02/2019 and I got to the bus on time. Driver was yelling at me (literally screaming) and trying to rush me. I politely asked if we still had some time. That when the whole attitude has started. Driver didn’t allowed to go into bus and was demanding me to apologize. End up calling their customer service but it was totally helpless. Their customer service is totally joke. I felt really insulted.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Megabus is very misleading. Their customer service is pitiful, with some of the rudest and most unhelpful service providers I have ever encountered, providing absolutely no assistance with your issue. Their departure times are never accurate, they either depart too early or hours later, and when you call customer service for assistance they do absolutely nothing to help you, other than tell you to either purchase another ticket or pay the exchange fee for their incompetence.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

The customer service is terrible and supervisor are idiots without common sense of good service. While trying to do a ticket exchange they charged me for the cancelled ticket and the new changed one. While they acknowledge the cancelation the money was not refunded or credited to my account. The website for changes is deceptive and misleading with the only intention of taking your money. This tactics use do not appear to be ethical or legal. We all should report to BBB. I have done so already as the first step.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Never use their Megabus services in the future. I have to pay additional fees to reschedule my trip or it's not refundable. They take advantage of such circumstances. Avoid Megabus services if you want to save your money.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I booked a ticket to NYC to visit family on Christmas. My bus was Christmas Day at 2:00 pm. The bus was practically empty, yet I was denied entry because I had two pieces of luggage, and their policy states any more than one and entry will be denied. I offered an arm and a leg in cash to just let me go and see family, yet no attention was paid by the company. They wouldn't even change the ticket time for free. The fact that this can happen to someone on Christmas shows how uncaring this company is. I will never ride Megabus again. I'm one of few people who actually have the power to spite this company in that I host 300+ AirBnB guests per month. So I'll be using this soapbox to tell every single one of my yearly 4000+ guests not to use this service.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I had exactly a day and a half to spend with my family in New York for the holidays and so I booked an overnight trip on Megabus from Toronto to New York that was to arrive 8:10am in New York Saturday, December 22. The Megabus arrived late in Toronto after I was standing for almost a hour in the terminal in the cold. The bus left 8:35pm instead of 8:00pm and stopped everywhere despite the fact we were clearly running behind schedule.

I arrived in New York at 10:30am, two and a half hours late with no apology whatsoever from the driver and to compound an already frustrating situation, the wifi on the bus was not working and I had no means to communicate with my arranged pickup that I was running late and so I was left stranded in New York city for several hours. I think it is safe to say Megabus will not be my transportation of choice ever again. I was excited for my trip and was left severely disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I had the most disappointing experience with Megabus in the attempt to send my son to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. After sitting at the bus stop for about an hour the bus did not show up. I called Saturday morning, the representative was rude and only provided an email. I sent the email and received a response saying that it's my fault for missing the bus and they would not refund me my $20.00. Come on this is a $20.00 ticket. Why in the hell would someone lie for this minimal amount. I'm now requesting management because their service is horrific! This was my first and last time trying to use this transportation service! BadgerBus in Wisconsin is so much better. They actually show up!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Hello my name is **. My husband and myself very loyal customers. We also served in the military. Which makes us veteran. We fought and served for America. On Dec 2 2018 at the boarding of my trip at 5:46pm a customer was sitting in my reserve seat. I told her politely she was sitting in my seat. She responded back "which one". By then I knew she didn’t have a reserve seat at all period. I went to the bus. Driver told him what happen and I also explain she didn’t have a reserve seat and threatening me and how I feel scared and uncomfortable. He went to my seat, ask her to move and she said no then he told me to go sit somewhere else. I was confused and disappointed and upset. The customer was threatening me the whole time calling me foul names.

I went to another seat which was someone else seat. Before the driver was about to switch out I went down to him and ask him for his name he said "I not giving you my name. You don’t need it. All you need is the bus number 709." The drivers switched out then we made it to Durham NC. I went to that driver explain everything what happen he ask to see my ticket. Went to her ask for her ticket. He explained to her that she sitting in a reserve seat and she have to seat behind seat number 16 in general seats. She got her things and left. While she walking to her seat she look at me said she want to slap me and other negative things.

I moved to my reserve seat. My husband was on the phone the whole time. I hung up with him and I called Megabus. I would like to know the driver name of the bus 709 who didn’t handle the situation. I applaud the driver who did handle the situation according. He was the driver that switched out at the Garner, NC with him. The description of the driver tall ** male with glasses mid 50's. The only thing Megabus did was refund 3 dollars and supervisor kept hanging up in my face when I ask for the whole amount I paid back bus driver name. Very bad customer service!

Megabus Company Information