Megabus

Compare Transportation & Rideshare Apps

Research top Transportation & Rideshare Apps recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We arrived at the designated "street" terminal in New York City to Washington DC at 12:45 AM giving us enough time for the 1:30 AM departure. At 1:15 AM the dispatcher told us that the bus got cancelled leaving us on a pouring rain with no instructions on what to do next. We (3) are transients here in New York City with no place to stay. We waited for another 10 minutes and about to leave when a Megabus was drove off to the terminal. The person in charge of Bus No. DD859 with plate no. ** told us that the driver is coming but didn't let us in the bus, turned off the light & engine & sleep inside. We waited outside for another hour and when we noticed that no one is coming, we knocked at the window to ask what time should we expect the driver. He yelled and said that he don't know, said to me he don't to be there and don't bother him as he's sleeping?

At that time, another bus came, he told us he's not leaving until 5:00 am. I explained that based on the other employee who brought the bus, he is there to replace the cancelled trip. When I asked him what will happened to us? He said that he can accommodate us but we need to add $5 more each? This driver isn't pleasant either. To you Megabus investors, please train and invest in your employees to be ethical and not to a "nice looking" bus alone. Put yourself in our shoes so can feel what it's like to be treated like this in a cold rainy night? You should try to be an "Undercover Boss". I wouldn't be surprise why you have fewer passengers than the other bus company and later shut down your business. It's my first time riding your bus and got the firsthand experience. I wouldn't recommend you and your company at all.

I bought a ticket 3 weeks before my departure day, and never got a reservation number, confirmation number or a e-ticket. Call the number customer services give me. Leave several messages not response. Sent several e-mails. Finally on 4-17-2017 received an e-mail saying that they will answer me in 5 days. Five days was gone and still no response from Megabus. They got the money from my bank account, my travel day is 4-27-2017, and is a family matter for what we are traveling, still no response. BE AWARE. KEEP AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

I bought a ticket for a friend, who made it to the bus stop on time. However, when she got there the only bus there was headed to ATL. Her ticket was from HOU - CHI. When we called Megabus to find out where the bus was, the lady told us that the bus HAD NOT ARRIVED!!! AND, RECOMMENDED MY FRIEND WAIT AT THE BUS STATION. When we asked for ETA the lady told us she didn't know and we could call back in 30 minutes. That was at 10:12 AM. The bus was supposed to leave at 9:55 AM. We called back at 11:00 just for a different representative to tell us the bus left at 9:33 am. So when we addressed the issue about the bus leaving too early, and started talking about a refund, he retracts his statements and says, he was wrong. The bus actually arrived at 9:33 and left at 9:55. It was all very crazy and too many discrepancy. So we asked to speak with a supervisor.

When she gets on the phone she speaks like a robot. She's very cold and unconcerned. She refuses to address the issue about her representative having my friend wait over an hour. She refuses to discuss any type of compensation, and she refuses to discuss the discrepancies. Then I asked for her information, a ticket number or anything so I could properly file a complaint. She stated, all she could tell me is her name was Monique and she was supervisor! Really! Megabus needs to be closed down! They are below standard in all aspects from riding to customer service! That's all I have to say!

I took a trip (7-14-2016) from HOU-DAL and the bus broke down delaying the trip arrival to Dallas 4-hours late. I received an email offering redemption credit for my trip (I purchased 2-tickets). When I tried using the credit, it says the redemption code used was invalid and I was charged for the full amount for the trip. I contacted Megabus customer service and they responded and said if I used customer service, I will be charged a fee. They never addressed my problem. So, I sent another email requesting service and did not get a response.

This is the second time I've not received my credit. I have a family emergency and would like to use the credit that is due to me but can't get anyone to help me and is constantly being told to call back and talk to someone else and they say they have to disconnect the call due to them being on the phone too long. It seems that Megabus is only concern with taking reservations but not concerned with helping customers resolved problems they created. By the way, I assume the customer service calls are being diverted overseas to India. Dialect is too strong to understand what they are saying. PLEASE HELP me resolve this problem.

So I traded my first date of travel with Mega bus 3 days before I was scheduled to leave. I got the credit of $34.00, but when I tried to book the trip with the credit in the same transaction it told me I had to wait 20 minutes. Then when 20 minutes was up, it told me I had to wait 24hours for an email before I use the credit. I call CS WHICH WAS VERY RUDE and told them the problem I was having. They kept saying I lost my money instead of helping me solve the problem. Never will I use Mega bus again. Never. But I do want my money back in check form or credit. This is sad that they are so rude and take people money. I will fight for my refund. I HAVE ALL THE PROOF IN MY EMAILS AND PRINTED OUT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Megabus?

I recently traveled from Baltimore to NYC on Megabus. It was a frustrating trip, made more so by an apparent lack of urgency and priority to their customers. Stuff happens, as can be expected, but the poor response to these issues by the drivers, mechanics, and staff at Megabus is certainly avoidable. It should have you considering other bus lines, or the Amtrak, from DC/Balt to NYC. My trip, scheduled from White Marsh at 5 pm on Friday, 31 March departed about 75 mins. late. It arrived Saturday, some 9 hours later in NYC, for what should have been about a 3 hour ride.

At White Marsh, this outdoor stop offers little more than a city bus stop shelter from the rain and no updated information to the status or ETA of your bus. There was some confusion around the boarding of my bus around 6:15 as by then there were a number of passengers waiting on 2 later scheduled departures (both also late). Once boarded we quickly got moving to NY, however; the delays apparently caused some timing issues around our driver's permitted window. She stopped some 100 miles from White Marsh at the James Fenimore Cooper Service Area along the NJ Turnpike and about halfway to NYC. Here is where the troubles begun and the lack of customer focus was made most apparent.

If there was a need to replace the driver, why was no communication or planning made for the replacement driver to meet the bus. Instead this poorly executed replacement would take more than an hour of sitting to take place. The length of this expected delay was not communicated to us passengers. At first it was not even clear we should get off the bus to take advantage of the food and restroom services at this rest stop. Any information had to be pulled from the driver.

During this delay, the Bus was shutdown and then later had issues getting restarted. Again, not placing any urgency on getting the passengers to NYC that same night, a call was made to a mechanic who was dispatched from Exit 13 on the NJ Turnpike, some 70 miles away! Why not dispatch service via the NJ Turnpike service and get a local mechanic to quickly assess and possible correct the issue? Why not at that time immediately dispatch a new bus to continue the trip? Instead, any buses coming up the NJ Turnpike were asked to stop in and try to accommodate the transfer of seats. This was poorly organized. I half expected a riot on determining who was to get the handful of available seats on the 2 buses that did stop. This process ended once our mechanic finally arrived.

At some point a new bus was dispatched from Washington DC!!! I did make it to NYC around 1:30 Saturday morning. It wasn't until Tuesday that I again decided to call the support lines at MegaBus to discuss a refund. They were always so unpleasant when calling for some updates Friday night. To my surprise only an offer for a voucher on a future MegaBus tickets was offered. I won't take another ride on this line and I advise all to seek other means to NYC.

First Time will be the last. I will NEVER TAKE THE MEGABUS AGAIN! My luggage was lost/more likely stolen. THE and the only amount that I will get is $250 and my worth personal belongings are least $1,000 on top of my medication that I can't replace until middle of April. Never again MEGABUS.

Megabus have the most nasty workers I have ever encountered in services against my better judgment. I rode once again they scream crazy stuff over the intercom. They act like it's a prison run and not a traveling experience!! From pick up to departure it's the worst I have experience. Greyhound from now on. So sad that your kids have to witness such rude people.

I purchased 2 Megabus tickets on 03/12/2017 leaving from St. Louis MO at 3:30 am arriving in Chicago IL at 9:15 am. Around 6 pm I logged into Megabus website to reschedule for 3/14/2017. At first, it showed I had a 60 dollar credit which was fine. It also said I would have to pay 9.50 because they charge 7.50 to switch reservations. So I was NEVER allowed to actually switch reservations because my credit disappeared.

I contacted Megabus by phone & the agent was extremely rude. I was told that I only had 20mins to switch reservations or I would've had to make the reservation at 3 am which I couldn't make it. That's the reason I wanted to reschedule so they took my 60 dollar credit. Also, they don't tell you, all you have is 20mins to decide which date to choose. It's not posted anywhere on their website. Also the agent I spoke with never apologized or anything. All I received was poor customer service & my money took. Never again Megabus.

Against my better judgement from previous negative experiences with this company, I just took Megabus round trip between Baltimore and NYC. The outbound portion was not bad, except that the bus left about 13 minutes late and the driver was moving rather quickly down the highway! The return portion out of New York City, however, was actually scary. About a half hour into the journey, the driver pulled over into a rest stop. Citing mechanical problems (tire pressure issues?), we were moved to an empty bus that was parked at this rest stop. While I was thankful that I did not have to wait two hours on the side of a highway as my husband and son had to do when their Megabus broke down on the NJ Turnpike, this empty bus was FREEZING!

After the driver returned to the bus with his freshly-purchased snacks, we got back on the highway. For the remaining three hours, the bus was either bouncing or swaying; the driver did not seem to have full control of the vehicle. He simply could not stay in his lane! Miraculously, we made it to our destination; however, the driver was not sure as to where he was supposed to park to let us off the bus! The passengers had to tell him! Megabus hardly inspires confidence or relaxation. During this trip, when I texted my daughter to let her know that I'd be lucky to make it home in one piece, she responded, "CLASSIC MEGABUS!", based on her own disastrous experiences with them. Megabus means Mega Problems! If you have another option, take it!

I am so very upset I took a trip from D.C. to NY. The guy told me you could sit anywhere on the bus so me and my child did then a customer told me that he had reserved his seats for his family of 4. I had no idea that you could reserve seats on the bus so I called and asked they said, "yes" so the trip that I took home 2 days later I made sure that I reserved seats for me and my child. In the text they sent to me I was unaware that they did not send the departure information so I had to call back and ask. I was 5 mins late getting there. I saw the bus pulling off from the curb and ask could he stop. He said no and continued to pull off. I was extremely upset so I called to see what could they do. They said, "nothing" and there were no refunds available and that I would have to pay an additional amount which was $10.

I had no problem on paying for that but all I was concerned about was our reserved seats and just wanted to know if they could possibly reserve the same two seats on the next bus if no one had reserved them. They said No. So not only do they get $24 free money but they also get $10 more of free money and to me that makes Megabus a thief. Oh and it is extremely hot on the bus. Heat is turned up too much.

I frequently take Megabus when I'm going to Houston or Austin and I've never had a complaint. I'll review my latest trip. Arrived Downtown Dallas on time and arrived in Austin about 30 minutes early and the same coming back. And the employees were really nice and everything. So I'm sure there are hiccups with the company but in the Texas region they're very few and far apart.

I was returning from Dallas Texas to Houston Texas. First of all I paid to reserve a seat extra money. The seat did not even exist. The bus that picked us up was not a double-decker which my seat that was reserved was on the second floor. This bus didn't even have a second floor so I basically paid for a reserved seat that did not exist on this bus. It picked us up and Dallas there were no electrical outlets for my cellular device as they state that. They have then to make matters worse. We get almost halfway to Houston not quite and our bus breaks down on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. No store to get a drink. Nothing. We had to wait on the bus to come out of Houston all the way for hours to get us and bring us back to Houston. I was to arrive at Houston at 1:30 in the morning. I didn't arrive until 6 a.m.

I was late to work and also had to go straight to work from the bus stop. I ask to be reimbursed my money or even a voucher to take another trip to Dallas. I was told they were not at fault because they didn't maintain their bus and it broke down. They had no control over it and they could not reimburse me my money or give me a credit for another trip. Nothing. I sat in the heat in the middle of the night on the side of the highway with nothing to drink, no way to get anything and had to pee in the bushes. Texas summer I'm sure you can imagine.

If this company thinks that I don't deserve a trip without paying or to be refunded my money which at this point I would never ride on either one of their buses so it would just be a refund they are the worst company in the world. Don't care about losing their customers. Beware buyer do not use Megabus at any cost. I also learned that if you prepay for your ticket on the Greyhound bus it is actually much cheaper than the Megabus. Less crowded and they actually offer customer service. Just a fair warning you will have a horrible experience. It's almost one hundred percent guaranteed and they have no customer service to assist you when you do.

I am also reporting them to the BBB which I think everyone who has had a bad experience with them should also make a claim basically as a consumer. What this says to me is "hey if we have bald tires on our bus and we don't change him and have a blowout and kill you or your family members we don't care". We're not going to remember she refund you. Probably won't even respond to your email about their negligence... The media needs to blast this company so the unknowing public can be warned.

I called Megabus customer service before my departure time of 6:20 PM from Chicago to Indianapolis and spoke to someone who told me that the bus was running 20 minutes behind. Then when I arrived to the bus stop at 6:25 pm I called again and I was again told the bus was running behind. When after waiting for 20 minutes the bus hadn't arrived I called again and was told that the bus had actually already left. How? I don't know because I had been standing at the stop for over an hour in the cold Chicago winter and apparently it had left at 6:21... 4 minutes before my arrival. I asked to speak to someone else who told me that she was unable to pull up the bus information and couldn't tell me where the bus was and couldn't give me any additional information or help.

I asked to speak to a supervisor who told me that she saw the bus was already in Indianapolis. She told me she couldn't do anything and that I would have to buy another ticket. I asked her if there was any way she could help me since I missed the bus based on incorrect information. She was very rude and kept saying there was nothing she could do and rushing me off the phone by saying, "Is there anything else I can help you with?" I asked her for an email to get in touch with someone else and she hastily blurted out an email I couldn't understand. When I asked her how to spell it and what her name was she hung up on me! I will never ever use Megabus again!

I have been travelling on Megabus, for quite a few years (Chicago/Cleveland). I am originally from Cleveland, Ohio & return home at least 3 times month. On MAJOR HOLIDAYS (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Easter) They JACK UP THE PRICE, making GREYHOUND "WAY" CHEAPER, (ie: MEGA $89. OW vs GREYHOUND way less OW). AND they BRAG of $1.00 fares, when there is only "ONE" - (prices jump up to $39.00 on weekends, after a $1.00 fare is booked). The schedules always changing, making me have to rely on Greyhound, at times.

When I lived in Cleveland (they considered it a HUB), there was connections with Detroit/Buffalo/Columbus/Cincinnati & Pittsburgh. That was nice!!! THEN they eradicated those services. Megabus was going to Chicago/New York, & NOW that service is gone!!! Megabus PLAYS GOD - "Giveth then taketh away..." Not to mention always - relocating the stop to board the bus (Chicago), with NO SHELTER from the weather!!!

I booked a seat on Megabus from Reno, NV to San Francisco for my son. He was going there to catch an international flight. They cancelled the trip on the morning of the trip, saying that there was snow and it was dangerous. My son had to pay someone to drive him to Sacramento to catch Amtrak. He said there was absolutely no snow on the road and driving conditions were fine. Megabus clearly misrepresented the reason for canceling the trip, which was probably because they didn't have enough passengers. The result was that my son almost missed his flight. Megabus is a sleazy outfit and I will tell as many people as I can not to use them.

Megabus chose to cancel their travel from San Francisco to Reno at Christmas for second year now that we have booked. They reserve the right to cancel the morning of the trip due to weather warnings of any degree. This year they chose to reschedule our son's trip on Christmas day. We did not select this trip and found another way to get our son to Reno. When we called customer service they were rude and when asked to speak to management they disconnected the call. After calling within days they continued in the same fashion. Sending an email resulted in them denying a refund to the rescheduled booking which we did not make. For anyone booking with Megabus be aware of their cancellation policies which will not give you a refund and you may not have the trip that you wanted.

Booked a trip for my mom, which was two hours late arriving from her first location. Due to this, she would be missing her connecting bus. Called customer service 3-4 times prior to her arrival in the destination and asked for supervisors to assist with getting her another connecting bus and was told there is nothing they could do until she arrived at her ATL terminal. She needs to have an open window of at least two hours to be re-routed without being charged. Call back when she gets there and they will help. Of, course they are closed when she arrives at 1:30 am. :-( Called this morning to get this matter resolved and was hung up on by the so called manager. I'm not cursing and my voice is not elevated -- just asking questions. And hung up in my face!!! Do NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Where do I begin. First let me begin with I missed my bus by a second. So I then began to purchase another ticket for the next morning. Secondly, I arrive a little early to avoid missing the bus again. Boy was I wrong. The bus was originally an hour late. Then the bus driver gets into a physical altercation with another passenger. Megabus is truly a ghetto and unprofessional company. The driver jumps on the bus and speeds off. Of course he apologized for the horrible display of character but that wasn't good enough. There's children on the bus as well. They were all crying and afraid because of the violence displayed by the bus driver and the passenger. Once the bus driver speeds off, he proceeds to hop on the expressway only to drive us back to the originally departure location.

I'm in Chicago and was suppose to leave at 8:45. It is now 12 in the afternoon and we have to wait for another bus driver. Who's schedule to be here at 1. You guys, PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE AND BOOK GREYHOUND OR anything other than Megabus. I'm not sure what the qualifications are to become a Megabus driver but it couldn't be much because this company is RATCHET!

My son had a bus scheduled from Grand Rapids MI to Chicago where he was flying out of O'Hare. The bus still didn't show an hour later. Megabus was called and they said it would be there in 20 minutes. At this point he decided to drive because he would never make it to his flight on time. Megabus refused to give his money back for the bus that if he waited for would have made him miss the flight. Customer service was the rudest and worst that I have ever experienced with a company. I will never use Megabus again and will advise that no one ever use their services. The company does not deserve to continue to stay in business.

One hour into a ride from DC to NYC one of the windows on the top deck of the bus dislodged and fell on the highway barely missing a car. As a result of this I missed my flight and was not able to return home for another day and in addition to that had to miss a very important meeting. Which is why I chose to use Megabus to get home in time for the flight to get to the meeting. When the windows on the top deck of the bus dislodged and fell on the highway, the bus driver didn't notice so we yelled for him to stop the bus. He then accused the passenger sitting by the bus of trying to open the window, however the woman was sleeping before the incident. We were on the side of the road for over an hour. No announcement was made in regards to next steps and time frames.

When the bus did appear again no announcement and riders were left to figure out what to do next which caused a great deal of chaos as people scrambled to go from one bus to another on the side of the road in the rain. I called Megabus to request a refund and dealt with a very rude customer service representative. He told me he doesn't see any reason for compensation. I asked if there was any notations about the incident. His only reply "MMM HMMM." He then told me I must send an email to request compensation. I asked to speak to a manager to which he says they don't have managers. I challenged this and he told me "well they will tell you what I just told you." I said "that is fine. I would prefer to hear it again." He laughed, started singing then put me on hold. He never came back. I held like a fool for 20 minutes. I called back and was immediately told to file the complaint. I am appalled by this traumatic, dangerous and frustrating experience.

I purchased a ticket and for some reasons my travel plan changed so today I called the customer service. Asked two questions about trade in. When I asked my third question the guy hung up on me. It is very disrespectful.

I see these buses almost daily during my commute. Once the bus swerved into my lane forcing me to swerve into another lane. Twice I've seen the driving in the breakdown lane to avoid traffic. I've been on hold for 26 minutes trying to reach Corp headquarters. Today when I called the Indian sounding guy hung up on me when I asked what follow was going to happen.

My son was on a scheduled bus leaving Ann Arbor, MI. at 10am to arrive in Chicago, Il. at 2:30pm. They sat on the side of the road in Holland, MI because of a flat tire; this happened at 1:10pm and it is now 7:30pm and the passengers are still on the bus waiting for a repair. There is nowhere for them to go and eat or pee, or anything. What the hell is wrong with this company? When you call the customer service department it turns out to be a call center. They had no idea what the status was of this bus. NEVER will I let my kids ride this bus again. The buses should not be allowed to be on the roads.

I purchased a megabus ticket to go to Minneapolis Minnesota. My bus was suppose to leave at 8:30pm, however I missed the bus due to bus stop change. Why is there no consistency in the stops for Megabus? However I called customer service to let them know the matter. Representative was very rude showing no empathy or concern whatsoever. I then asked to speak with the Manager. Maybe just maybe I would get some results seeing that I am a paying customer. Man was I wrong.

The Manager gets on the phone rude not knowing how to speak to a customer. She said that I would have to pay for the 11:40pm bus? I mean people are paying customers and should get treated with respect, not ripped off and told purchase another ticket for something that wasn't their fault. I have been traveling with Megabus for years and I am just disappointed in the service I was provided today seeing that it never happened. I will not be traveling via Megabus anymore due to these unfair circumstances. I will not recommend this service to a friend.

Megabus is only good for one thing; cheap price. You must be prepared and expect that the cheap price will also equal low service. The stops are typically outside. The only way to communicate to their "Customer Service" (for lack of a better term) is via telephone and I'm not sure if they're even in the United States. We called about a bus that was scheduled to leave Richmond, VA at 8:10p traveling to Hampton, VA. When we called, we were hung up on twice after asking to speak with a supervisor who may be able to better explain the delay even though we were very calm.

Each time we called regarding the whereabouts of the bus, we were given a scripted answered "the bus is delayed due to high traffic in the area, please call back in 10 mins for update"; however, there was NEVER an update. We also found out that another bus, outside of Megabus, would be coming but no estimated time of arrival. The substitute bus finally arrived 50 mins late. If you're looking for a cheap adventure, Megabus would be PERFECT for you. Also, be sure to travel with a buddy to keep you calm and occupied in dealing with the entire ordeal.

I rode the Megabus on two separate occasions trying to save money for other things and my experience was HORRIBLE. The buses are always late arriving but not leaving. The drivers don't seem friendly or like they even appreciate having a job nowadays. My latest experience was the most unacceptable customer service ever! My reservation was to leave CHI/TN at 8:50 am in which I get an email notification one hour before stating the bus will be leaving hour later now at 9:50 am. I then receive another email notification the bus will be leaving at the original scheduled time. Please be advised this is all in the same morning last minute emails.

I then called customer service for verification and was told by someone in NJ call center the bus is still leaving late so when I arrive 45 min early, I was told the bus left. I spoke to a manager Asha who was unapologetic and understanding with Megabus internal glitch. She begins to try and tell me what my responsibility is versus how to fix their internal mistake. I was then forced to purchase a one way ticket for rescheduling as if I did something wrong. Honestly you get what you pay for. If you can affords to travel Greyhound please do so!

I purchased a ticket and they would not allow the young man to board the bus neither would they refund the ticket. I called customer service and they were rude. Before even knowing my issue they wanted me to know they were not refunding my money. Absolutely RUDE!!!

This afternoon when I getting ready to head back to Bishop today, My phone had rang and turned out be nephew. It was brought to my attention that this bus driver would not help him in any shape or form then laughed at him. My nephew was diagnosed with cancer and this wheelchair is his way to get around. I specifically remember my sister calling and explained that they had needed wheelchair accessible.

Was very excited when Megabus added service between Grand Rapids, Mi and Ann Arbor. Was I wrong!!! The instructions said to arrive 15 min early. Bus was over an hour late. Very dark, no shelter at the bus station. Called customer service - they have no clue about when a bus should arrive or if it's late. I find that hard to believe in the day of GPS. EMAIL, CELL phones that you cannot not advise if your bus is late. I can track a FEDEX package!!! Don't even think the call center I got was in the USA, very uncaring, robot like. Paid extra for a confirmed seat, That didn't happen, they sent another bus. So no reserved seating. Biggest complaint, LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE, HORRIBLE, VERY LONG DELAYS, they should at least send out a text or email advising if a delay over 30 min.

Megabus Company Profile