1.51/5
Based on 148 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

174 Lyft Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 17, 2018

Watch your Lyft charges if you ever use them. They overcharge!!! Got the response below after disputing the charge for twice as much. SMDH! You would have thought I would have received more than a credit for the overcharge and for being a repeat customer but nope! “Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I understand how frustrated this must have made you feel. Let me try to make things right, as this is definitely not the kind of experience we want you to have with us. After looking into your ride, I was able to confirm that you were charged the incorrect amount based on the route your driver took. I've gone ahead and refunded $** for this ride, and you can expect to see that amount on your bank statement in the next few days. Let me assure you that we do not want our passengers to be charged unfairly and I am happy to have been able to return the funds to your account.”

Original review: June 15, 2018

I am livid. I found out from some entirely disrespectful customers service agents that your company authorized a charge on my bank for $15.00 when I have gift card credit for Lyft. After being hung up on by someone who claims to be a supervisor. I took a look at my bank account and found that Lyft tried to authorize $15.00 from not only one account, but two accounts even though there is nearly $80.00 in gift card credit sitting on my Lyft app. One my personal accounts declined (thank God) and the other accounts placed the authorization and reversed it soon afterward.

I soon found out from a representative who calls herself Carolyn that Lyft authorizes $15.00 even though you have credit because it’s set up that way in the system. She said it’s in the terms of service. So I will be contacting the BBB and making a complaint. My ride history doesn’t show records of this charge and no alert to this policy was given. This is a buyer beware that everyone should be aware of and I will make them aware of it.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I'm an ex-Limo Driver. On 06/08/18 I called Lyft to get me to Stanford Cancer Ctr. for MRI. The appt. was 11:20 am not later than 11:40 am. This was at E. El Camino Real in Mountain View near Route 85 which takes you to highway 101. The driver show us close to 11:20am and instead of staying on El Camino going west, he jumps on Route 85 connects with 101, a totally bonehead decision!!

When I asked him why was he taking the freeway when he could have went up the El Camino Real up to Galvez? He states it was faster, when I made it clear and why it was not FASTER. Naturally, we hit traffic, stalls when exiting the freeway and lights on the way! By the time we got to the Cancer Center where I got out early so he could go on I was charged $24.09 and with a discount $18.62; where a bus would have costs me a dollar. A straight shot up the El Camino should have run 10.00 or less. Lyft should remind it's not a Limo Service and their trips in city limits shouldn't be a freeway ride charge. The driver Lan should be cautioned!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

Five times the drivers went to the wrong address. So that is a total of 25.00 and no ride. And the site was acting-up and mixing-up the locations. I feel that a refund would be in order because this was not due to my error. Also, one driver demanded that I speak to him in Spanish... WTF... I thought our native tongue was English. That would be like me going to China and driving for Lyft when I couldn't even speak the language. I wouldn't get very far.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Used Lyft while in Dallas visiting. Wonderful service and I hear drivers are more carefully screened with this company compared to others(?).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

Original review: May 31, 2018

As a Lyft driver the toll from Covington to New Orleans is supposed to be collected and returned to the driver. At this time LYFT is not paying driver for the causeway toll unless the driver calls the help center. The help center is sometimes helpful and sometimes not... about 50/50. The real issue is being shorted an expense that is to be paid by Lyft.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Sooo many huge downsides. But I love doing it and my bills are low enough to do just this. But recently got a hateful text from a passenger. I have yet to hear a response from Lyft after notifying them and it has been almost a week. Something like this you think a company would respond immediately.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I was driver for a month. I can't believe what kind of company is Lyft. Don't care about driver. What passenger said is the law for them. I'm 46. Never drink alcohol or drugs. But somebody complaint I'm drunk. I laugh and talk to Lyft. There said we investigated. Call you later. I explained call the client before complaint and after one she or he complained ask about me. I don't think there did. Lyft don't care. Whatever passenger said is final. I'm so embarrassed. Never drink or drugs way. Now I know Lyft suck. Is not company is playground for kids and ripping off people.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I requested Lyft ride from BWI to my home. I got the text to wait at departures door 11 which I did. Driver went to arrivals instead. I spoke to him and told him where he was. He never showed up and I got the text that they charged me $7 no show fee. I placed the order again. The next driver was lost at the airport. I spoke to him also and told him where he was. He disappeared also. I saw on the map that he was driving to my home. Still trying to find out why he went there without me. I kept on calling him 8 times with no response. They charged me full amount as if he gave me the ride. I had to take Uber to get home without a hassle. Lyft app will be off of my phone. Big fraud as far as I can see. May 13 at 5:30 pm.

Original review: May 2, 2018

In the modern day world, marketing is of utmost importance to successfully capture the minds and hearts of consumers. Unfortunately, in some instances marketing campaigns have been so successful that the competitor with healthier and kinder business model is viewed as the best. Such is the case with Uber which has developed a negative reputation with many consumers. Uber at one point in time was the one and only ride share app worldwide. Uber is the mastermind behind the concept of “ride share” as Myspace was until Facebook came along with a slightly different concept and the company MySpace ended up in annals of history.

For the past two months I had the opportunity to go into the new type of economy which is referred to many as the “Gig economy”. I began driving for Lyft to supplement my earnings so that I can support my family ever since the birth of my beautiful princess Yaffa, who thankfully is doing well after brain surgery in her first few months of life. Many of the Lyft drivers share the same backgrounds. They are mature individuals risking their lives every day on the dangerous streets in order to earn honest money, so that they can forge a better life for their families. It disheartens me to discover that the loyalty that the Lyft drivers have for Lyft is a one-way avenue.

I primarily chose to work driving for Lyft because of their reputation as being the “kinder” ride-sharing company. To me as many others, I believed in Lyft being the kind company that cared about their drivers. I was fully convinced prior to my first-hand experiences with Lyft they treated their drivers with the dignity that every worker/human deserves. My preconceived notions were proven false after being a Lyft driver for nearly 2 months. I have had an inner debate on whether I should go out share my experiences as a Lyft driver. I have decided to go ahead and write as form of therapy to assist me in the healing process from the mistreatment I experienced with my sudden dismissal as a Lyft driver. Since my termination from Lyft I have not been able to speak to a live person to defend myself against allegations that I abruptly stepped on the breaks in the midst of a snowstorm.

I have tried to reach out to Lyft on many different occasions via different platforms. By email, in which I received robo messages that were clearly not written by a person to respond to my email to Lyft. I drove to the Baltimore regional Lyft office hoping that my voice would be heard. Surprisingly, no one at the Lyft office was able to assist me. I have tried for the last 10 days since my termination to speak to a live person to help get my job as a Lyft driver back. Lyft has no live customer service agents to assist individuals in need to contact the company.

I have read many Facebook postings on the various regional Lyft groups and have discovered that I am not alone in being a victim by Lyft. There are those who invested thousands of dollars to purchase a car so that they would be able to drive and earn money. After all their investments to drive, which in most instances are people borrowing from friends or family to put a down payment on the car. Then taking out a bank loan. The cars are required to be in perfect condition in order to pass inspection. The minimum investment is $12,000 to buy these cars. Renting these cars from Lyft Express drive program which rents cars to drivers for approximately $800 a month. Discounts are available if a driver has 130 Lyft rides, with 30 of them being Peak rides. The more one is on the roads the more the drivers are putting their lives at risk.

In addition, the more rides given the more people they will run into. Just one customer complaint is all it takes for a Lyft driver to be terminated. In many instances customers flirt (it is worse for the girls) with their drivers and when the drivers do not reciprocate their feelings for them they give them bad rating so that the driver and passenger will not ever be matched up again. There are many other reasons that a passenger can give a negative reason. Racism is one of the primary reasons and the drivers have no way to protect themselves from the baseless hatred existent in modern America.

The last straw for me to go ahead and not only write with the goal of therapy but to be as an advocate to awaken the public as to the truth of the cruelties from Lyft towards Lyft drivers. It happened to me and to many others like me. Thankfully, I did not purchase a car to drive for Lyft and am not out thousands of dollars in an investment gone sour. Thankfully, I have other avenues to earn money. There are so many others that are with their backs against the wall. They have nowhere to turn after their ability to earn money from their job has been taken away.

In an era of the “me too”, I hope that there will be others who will read this article and care about the plight of the Lyft drivers out there who give it their all to make your rides pleasant. I hope that Lyft will change their policies towards their drivers and give them the right that every American deserves is the ability to work and have stability in their lives through laws to protect our workers.

Lyft uses reward systems to ensure that workers are working longer than 40 hours a week. Lyft is doing this by giving cash incentives for giving over 130 rides a week. Lyft in giving these incentives are dancing with the employee laws and profiting by not having to give benefits to their workers. Companies are watching from the sidelines and envious of how Lyft is able to milk the cash cow (Lyft drivers). America is the country it is because of the rights that people have. If these rights/protections are taken away from us, there will be no America as it is now. It will befall into the annals of history just as Rome, Greek and other civilizations that have withered away. One day it is Lyft doing this, if we do not stop Lyft, one day this could be common practice in Employer/Employee benefits. I alone and am a nobody. Together we can resist and ensure a greater tomorrow!!!

Original review: April 22, 2018

When I have used Lyft in the past, I always found that the cost of a ride would match the price quoted before the ride was requested. Now, I've had several experiences in the past three months where the cost of the ride was significantly more than the quoted price. Lyft claims that, "When a ride is requested, the driver is given a GPS route to follow; if the driver deviates from this route, then the charges revert from the quoted price to a "time and mileage" charge, much the same as a conventional taxi ride." That means that if the driver takes a wrong turn, gets lost, or simply decides to take their own route, your ride price goes up!

I've submitted these overcharges to Lyft for a "pricing review" and was successful in getting the excess charges reversed, but in my last two rides, they did not credit me the full amount of the overcharge. So, buyer beware! Lyft uses the quoted price to get you to "request ride", but they don't guarantee that pricing, and the driver can increase the price (and their pay) by taking their own route. I don't think this should be legal. The only acceptable basis for a "time and distance" charge should be when the rider requests a different destination or asks the driver to take a different route.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Copy, paste and send. Why not to fight for better working pay and condition? If you no want to try, at least stay quiet. https://thehub.lyft.com/dac/. 1 - Option to turn on/off local request only when we cannot go due to other job or appointments. 2 - Pay for distance/time to pick up passengers when you spend 5 minutes; no driver will drive more than 15 minutes to find that the customer is going to a 3 or 5 minutes from the pick-up point, Lyft does not want to lose money, we do not want to give money. Uber does. 3 - That cancellations are paid after 2 minutes without calling and that the payment can be seen in the app.

4 - Knowing the final destination of the passenger avoids frustrations of both; Sometimes they are families with children ready to travel but the driver could not take them to the airport, which in my area can take 1 or 2 hours of travel; or the person who depends on us to get to work on time; but it turns out that it is in Manhattan and we can not take them by distance. Knowing the final destination of the passenger would avoid all this. 5 - The "Power Zones" not only do not make sense is totally ridiculous; from 5 to 10 a.m., 10% or more should be paid no matter what zone is being worked on, at that time there are many requests from everywhere.

6 - Payments for trips to airports are the clearest example of exploitation, to which Lyft subjects its workers; paying $ 51.00 to a driver for one hour of travel, including a single toll of the three that we have to pay from CT is humiliating. Lyft wants to win the competition to Uber and that's fine; but do not do it at our own expense, we have the right to receive decent wages and payments for our work and not misery payments. The difference of payment to the drivers between Uber and Lyft can reach $35.00, which is brutal and leaves no doubt that Lyft competes with Uber at the expense of exploiting their drivers.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I ordered a Lyft on April 14th 2:30 in the afternoon to go 4.7 miles, I choose the 4 passengers cause it's cheaper. So they have a car set up for me and in the middle of the transaction they send me a text they changed cars, I clicked okay never seeing that the price was $22.23. I tried disputing it and they didn't want to hear anything. So I canceled Lyft from my phone and they will never, ever see me again!!!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I scheduled a ride for 6:15, have to be at work 7:00 and you people canceled my damn ride between 6 am-6:17. That's crazy!!! I'm a loyal customer.Look up my name. I ride Lyft all the time and due to no available drivers I almost lost my job after I scheduled a ride ahead of time. I just want answers!!!

Original review: April 16, 2018

As soon as we started the ride, I asked the driver to turn on AC for some cool air in back seat. He said his AC was not charged and told us to just crack windows for air. We were on a 55 min ride and I was going to a wedding and had my hair done before the ride. So I had to either ride in the heat or roll down windows.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I have been driving for Lyft for about a year. I have a plus size vehicle which of course takes a lot of gas. Recently I have been given rides that are 30 min away so I have been calling the passengers to let them know to find a closer driver. This I know has happened at least 5 times within the last month and I only drive about 4 times out of the month. Last night once again I get a ride 26 min away. I accept it. I get within 3 min of them. It's a military base in case you didn't know. You do need ID. I called the passenger to let them know I could not get on. They cancelled.

How about LYFT blocked my driving for the rest of the night. And reduced my rating and that I could be deactivated REALLY. Let's see had my truck detailed, filled my tank up, drove out of my way didn't receive not 1 red cent plus could not drive for the rest of the night. I have never received complaints, dependable and this is how you treat the people who represent you. Lyft is not a job that you can make money at all. Once you pay for gas, tolls, and maintenance please the only thing that's rewarding is I enjoyed my passengers. Maybe I can find another company to drive for. I'm done.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I ordered two different rides in which the drivers never showed up. Lyft charged me $10 for each ride despite them not showing up. Finally, the 3rd driver shows up, he wouldn’t let me out in front of my door instead chose to park across the street. I needed to unload something from his trunk so instead of waiting on me he drove off with my groceries in his trunk. I will NEVER use Lyft again. I recommend that you use another service as well.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Hello I would like to see if I could get my story Fox 5? I recently became an approved driver for Lyft and I have a speech impediment but I was recently discriminated on against Lyft. I began driving with Lyft around Feb or March 2018. While driving for Lyft my ratings were good, they were up and down for a couple weeks but mainly they were up. I was driving for the Washington/MD/VA area and it included Charlottesville VA and Fredericksburg VA, Richmond and Lynchburg VA. I drove to Charlottesville for a trip and decided to make some extra money. I picked up a passenger in Charlottesville VA and dropped him off in Richmond VA at about 12:45 am and he smelled like alcohol and he sat on the passenger side in the back seat.

The next morning I received a ride request from a passenger so when I arrived to pick her up she got in my car on the side where I picked the drunk guy up and she immediately said, “I will take another Lyft,” and got out the car even before pulling off. She canceled the trip. So about 5 min later she requested a Lyft again and so I did not respond and the call got canceled. About an hour later she called or emailed Lyft to report I was intoxicated or under some kind of substance. When I got back home I received an email from Lyft saying, “A passenger reported you being intoxicated or being under the influence of a substance.”

I then emailed Lyft saying that this allegation was wrong and I was not or have been intoxicated at all that day and I emailed them telling them about the other passenger I picked up, that smelled like liquor and the smell could have been him. Lyft emailed me back saying that my ratings were bad and that multiple drivers called in about me. They did not want to address any more allegations with me and they said they were going to deactivate my driver's account and they did. I was able to get in touch with Lyft and explain but without calling me first or giving me a chance. They deactivate me.

Then they also responded back with an email letting me know about my ratings at that point. Nowhere does it say I or any driver need to maintain a 4.7 or higher. This need to be posted on Lyft's website so drivers can know and not be surprised at any one time. When Lyft called me they did not want to properly address these false allegations regarding discrimination and being intoxicated. They went from being intoxicated or my score. Lyft needs to address this. Lyft has a lot of discrimination along with it. The public needs to know that Lyft messes with their drivers and the ratings because at one point I had a 5.0. I checked Consumer Affairs online and complaints and they have 155 complaints. Some companies like mine.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I've used Lyft here and there for years and haven't really had a problem up until now. I recently used them on my friends birthday, and a week later I noticed two extra charges on my card from them. I tired to dispute it. One charge was for $5.00 and the other was for $12.90. While trying to dispute it, they sent me a receipt from a ride I got in 2015, three years ago and already charged on an entirely different card, and tried saying that was one of the charges in question for $5.00. They never sent any proof of the $12.90 charge. Ultimately, they told me they couldn't refund me simply because they were made from my account, even though they showed me actual proof that one was a double charge from 3 years ago, and no proof of the other. I will no longer be using their services ever again.

Original review: April 7, 2018

This company is going backwards. Used to be great but want to be like everyone else. Know mess with the bonus so you can’t get them. Mess with your rating so they can get rid of the good people. Can’t make any money know sending you calls far away and hidden the drop-off spot so you can’t see if you will be worth your time. The customer service sucks. Don’t even answer you unless they want to. Not paying people for cancel rides when the person does not show up or prime time but charge the passenger for it. Been doing this for over 2 years and they don’t care about the people they work for. The driver hidden behind an app to Lyft is ripping off the drivers more and more and breaking the law, saying you work for yourself but treats you like an employee trying to force you to take calls or they shut your app off.

This company is worse than Uber now or trying to be like them. The star rate is a total scam to get rid of good drivers and passengers. The Phoenix area is really bad to drive in. Know bad people too many drugs and drunks college students to deal with and they don’t care. Just so everyone know the love the short trips the charge 2.49 booking fee plus 3.50 for 5.99. The driver get a whole 2.80 and 90% of the time no tips at all and you can have up to 4 people. That’s a total rip off and if you’re new they only pay 75% not 80% so you only get 2.62 to do all the work. Use your car and gas has gone up but nothing for the driver. This company is starting to get bad for the drivers. I been told they don’t check the cars. Lots of them are in bad shape and they keep them going to they go through so many people.

Today there no bonus unless you want to make 2.62 a ride for 60 rides but remember you pay for everything not them. I used to like Lyft but I think Uber is still better than them with all these stuff today. They’re trying to make all the money they can until the government shut them down. Don’t waste your time. Will get rid of you no matter how long or good you are. Star rating scam plus you get nothing from them but a hard time when your app start crying. Work for yourself. That’s a total lie. The IRS and the federal government and state need to stop helping company like this saying 1099k. No health benefits or nothing but an old run down car that you can’t fix afterwards and make sure the close down them. They’re just like the same old cab company. Know just hidden behind an app today. It’s sad that Lyft is going bad now.

Original review: April 5, 2018

The drivers did not show up and last 3 times and charged all 3 times, except got refunded 1 time. The problem seems to be that the drivers are not truthful to Lyft as I even had conversation with them that they were at the wrong place. Maybe it is Lyft's navigation. But anyway for 2 times that I got charged Lyft wouldn't even response to my emails. I had been a supporter of Lyft because of their good service and fees but unfortunately I had to use Uber instead since Lyft's no show ups.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I tried to request rides April 2, 2018 to go to Dollar General at 9:00 PM to get some food and water, but the Lyft driver never showed up and picked someone else up in my place instead and charged me $12.42. Then for the next trip I tried to schedule Lyft charged me $10.00 to go to Dollar General in Braxton MS, but never showed up again and picked somebody up in Piney Woods instead of taking me to the Dollar General in Braxton MS. Then, the third time I tried to schedule a pick up the people denied me transportation again and I was trying to go to 350 W. Woodrow Wilson Ave Jackson MS 39205. I have a scheduled appointment to go to in the Adult Medicine Clinic to see if I could see about my eyes and get some eye drops for my eyes.

The driver at Lyft still did not want to accommodate me with transportation and I still need a refund for $49.32 for a trip I tried to schedule, but the lyft driver never showed up and I am consistently losing money for being denied transportation that I need right at this very moment. I used visa card ending in ** for my transaction for my transportation request for April 3, 2018 for right now to 350 W. Woodrow Wilson Ave Jackson MS 39205 at the Adult Medicine at Jackson Hinds Comprehensive in the Medical Mall. I was refunded the $12.42 from yesterday's transaction and transportation request to Dollar General, but I was not refunded the huge amount of money I spent on today for $49.32 for a trip to 350 W. Woodrow Wilson Ave Jackson MS 39205 , the 1st floor to Adult Medicine in Jackson Hinds Comprehensive in the Medical Mall.

Please make sure this driver or any drivers for Lyft know that they cannot deny customers for no good reason at all for transportation and their permit to do business or transportation requests should be taken away forever in the United States and worldwide. Their service should be terminated! I needed to get to Jackson MS for an urgent medical appointment my eyes are very important to me and I need to be able to see! That is why, I am trying to get to 350 W. Woodrow Wilson Ave Jackson MS 39205 in the Medical Mall.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Work extra hours for that $75 bonus. It showed up on my dashboard. That I was 2 clients short. When I call them about their era I was told it would be in my acct. Within 48 hrs. It never was deposited. When I call them for the 3rd time I was told that I would have to wait until next paycheck. Not what they said when I originally called. I've been working with them for 2 months. It's been a customer service nightmare dealing with these people. From getting a rental vehicle to 30 day inspection to text message with wrong return date to giving me a vehicle with expired tags. When a rock crack the window on the beltway they took $151 out of my check in 1 week but can't get me my bonus on time. ** these bamas.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I too, am a driver of almost 2 years and I have to say, it's becoming very discouraging. Lots of changes and update have taken place but it has only hindered the drivers in the aspect of pay, time and gas. The whole SCHEDULED RIDES concept? TERRIBLE for the driver! They allow drivers to "so call claim" a scheduled ride only to give it to someone else most of the time unless there's no other drivers around. If you don't accept the ride, your rating is affected. If you accept the ride and cancel, your rating is affected. It seems like anything you do or don't do wrong in their eyes will affect your ratings with possible deactivation.

They give you false hope in trying to plan your day by claiming scheduled rides. They will reroute to another ride while in route!!! Simply Outrageous. Somewhere, somehow, the algorithm for Lyft Line is horrible as well. I've always loved Lyft... I am now, beyond frustrated and enjoy Uber much more. Uber also will pay you more, more often, and chance are you get longer rides with Uber... At least I do. :) I got a lot to think about. I don't like feeling this way when driving Lyft because I don't feel so much disappointment while working other gigs. I don't expect it to get better. I am just merely expressing my frustration.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I been in the transportation business since 1995. After Lyft and Uber started operating as transporter, I lost my company and I been ask to join, after two years I realized that those companies are using the drivers as slaves, and they discriminate against minorities, they overcharge customers and they underpay the drivers. They claim that you make $35 an hour and the truth that you are making around $7 an hour. And if a rider complains about you with no proofs, they will terminate you, like you never worked with them, so hypocrites and they are above the law. I really want to take them to court, and peoples needs to know what kind of companies they are. Am hurt because was my source of income for my family.

Original review: March 24, 2018

The addresses on my Lyft receipt didn’t match the addresses entered into the Lyft app. I requested a to my home from therapy. If the addresses on the receipt were used, I would have never been picked up or arrived home. I emailed my concerns to Lyft. I immediately received a response that the charges were correct. An automatic response, l am sure. I never questioned the charges, I questioned the information. They can manipulate the information that I entered and that’s really not good. I deleted my account. WHEN THE DRIVER TOLD ME THAT THE APP WAS CATCHING UP, I should have known something was wrong. They stole from me.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Was charged a $10.00 cancellation fee for a ride I never ordered. Spent hours trying to get a response from them. There is absolutely no way to speak to someone, it is all email and very aggravating. Impossible to get a resolution so now I have to go thru disputing on my credit card. Such a hassle over $10.00 but at this point it's about principle. At least with Uber you can speak to a human being. Will never use them again and will make it my mission to give them a bad review anywhere I can. I hope the bad publicity is worth the $10.00 to them.

Original review: March 22, 2018 I am a driver for LYFT in Albuquerque NM. I have been a loyal employee for almost 2 years. I have given nearly 3000 rides for them. Suddenly my account was put on hold due to a false accusation by a drunk who is also a college student. She claims I punched her. LYFT is my primary source of income and I am suffering as a result of this. I cannot get in touch with a real person at LYFT and they will not answer my online questions. If you are considering driving for LYFT keep in mind that any passenger can make a false report against you and they will deactivate your account without keeping you up to date with the investigation. There is

NO Employer loyalty in this company. All they care about is using you to make money for themselves.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have been using Lyft exclusively for a few years now (since 2016) and encountered no problems, until Sunday, March 18, 2018, when I called for a Lyft to take me from the Doubletree Hilton in San Pedro to the Long Beach Airport. Right from the get-go, the driver kept telling me he wasn't used to the area, was really from San Diego and had been on the way back there when he got a call to pick me up. He seemed very nervous, so I tried to help him out (since he said his GPS wasn't working right) and I opened my GPS and started reading him directions.

My directions said to get off the freeway (I forget which freeway the driver was on; it was confusing because I don't come from Long Beach and was only in Southern California to give a reading). He exited the freeway, and I started reading him directions off my phone. After about 15 minutes, we didn't seem to be heading towards an airport (my phone said we'd get to the airport in 15 minutes). I asked him, "Are you sure we didn't pass a turn?" And he said he was sure. 10 more minutes. Then he said, "Oh, now that I think about it, we did pass that street you were telling me about". I was so shocked, I said, "When?" He said, "About 15 minutes ago". So I told him to turn around immediately and head back to the freeway.

He then took the NEAREST freeway, which was not the freeway we were originally on, and I was starting to panic, because I had a flight in less than an hour. Finally I asked my GPS for "another route," and started giving him directions for that new route. He followed it for about five minutes, then exited the freeway. Again I was surprised, because my GPS hadn't said to exit the freeway. We wandered along, and I was really getting pissed, but he said we were "nearly" at the airport, I saw that we were on a main road, so I decided to chill.

I was still looking at my GPS. We were close, when he suddenly turned onto a side street, only blocks from the airport. He acted suddenly very sure, and we went all the way down that street, me getting more and more anxious, until he stopped in front of an office building and said, Here we are. I said: "This is not Long Beach Airport." "But according to my Lyft GPS it is."

I wanted to jump out of the car but I couldn't leave my suitcases! I told him to turn around and take me to the nearest gas station. He did turn around, and at the next big intersection, as I was desperately looking around, I saw a HUGE SIGN: LONG BEACH AIRPORT. I told him to go there, and he kept saying, "Wow, my Lyft GPS is so bad!" As soon as I saw other cars, I told him to pull over. I took out my bags, and he kept saying, "Let me check the back seat in case you left behind your wallet."

The upshot is: I got charged $79 something for a ride that should only have been $37 something. Not only that, I almost missed my flight. I made it onboard only by agreeing to Pay JetBlue extra. I complained to Lyft several times. First they said they would take steps that I would never be paired with that driver again, and would reduce the fare I was charged. But I wrote them back and said, "Thanks for the reduced charge, but I don't think that driver should be driving ANYONE ever again".

Original review: March 20, 2018

My first time using Lyft I find out that their drivers don’t have to speak English so when he took us to the airport he took a wrong turn and dropped us off 20 minutes away from where we were supposed to. I hired him to take a key back to the condo he picked us up at and the key never made it there. When I contacted Lyft not only would they not give me his phone number but they never made contact with him and said they’re not responsible. My only recourse they said was to involve the police. Are you kidding me? He stole from me and is still working for them. What a racket! This was my FIRST and LAST time using Lyft and I’m making it my mission to tell everyone not to use them.

Lyft expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.

• Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.

• Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.

• Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.

• Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.

• Best for: Lyft is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in metro areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs