Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.96/5

Lyft Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Lyft is not a good service. Their drivers cancel a ride very often after it is already booked, at the very last minute. So you have no way but to wait for another cab -- this caused me being late at my work many times and penalized. Drivers also practice cheating. They stop a car far away from pick-up location and turn on "driver leaves in five minutes" tool but you cannot walk there because it is too far. So they just leave after five minutes gone and report you as a "not showed up customer". As a result, you wasted your time on waiting for a car, on five minutes while driver "was waiting on you" and you have to do all the circle again! Leaves you with a bad feeling.

At last, my employer gave me promo code to use Lyft to get to work at the early hour. While I was trying to call Lyft at 4 am in the morning, their APP foisted me an "upgrade to XL" service which I simply do not need since my company pays for my trips. This sneaky offer looked like a part of a service I needed so I accepted it by mistake in hurry. Once I realized that I was charged for the service I did not intend to use, I tried to refund my money through Lyft's customer service, but they refused. They do business for themselves, not for people. Terrible company's culture. Stay away if you can!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I am very disappointed in this company and I've was driving full-time. October 16 the my car was down in the shop. Wasn't driving for Lyft since then. I recently had to get new phone service which I had to get a new number. So, I went into my app and change my number. So I didn't think nothing about so here is my car close of being repaired. I went on my app and noticed my name and email address was changed. So I've been trying to contact support since then. They are not responding to me and they deactivated me which I don't know why. I have given this company my all. I have 5 star over 2500.00 rides and I can't get no one to let me know why is it that they can't activate my account. Here are my screenshot.

Get buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

On October 10, 2020 my foot was ran over by a Lyft driver as I was loading my children into the car. I had contacted the Lyft company immediately and took pictures for their records. The first person I spoke with said they would send me a medical form through email to provide to the hospital if I chose to go. I never received this email. Three days later (which is funny since they conveniently waited until my Lyft Pink subscription was auto-renewed and paid) I received an email from Lyft stating that I would not be refunded for that ride or given any other ride credits as compensation for the incident. Lyft made it very clear, in fact, that they would do nothing to make it right.

The only form of reassurance I was given was that they had “appropriately dealt” with the driver – whatever that means. Long story short, one of their drivers caused personal injury and endangered my children yet I was still expected to pay for that ride (meaning the driver still got paid) while Lyft made zero effort in customer service to right the wrongs caused by someone contracted through their service.

Because of not being able to afford the medical bills, I avoided a trip to the hospital by spending the next 48hrs with my foot elevated, wrapped, and iced. Thankfully enough, the swelling went down but the area is still bruised with a possible metatarsal fracture. I am glad I didn’t go because it has been made apparent that there is a good chance I wouldn’t have been reimbursed at all. With no medical document provided as promised, and the canned email stating policy and terms in lieu of basic customer service, it seems as though the only way this situation would be made right is through a lawsuit.

After reading multiple reviews, it seems like the issue of rider safety is a common occurrence – all with similar results of Lyft still paying the driver in question and providing the injured rider with little to no compensation or peace of mind. I don’t know about you, but I definitely can not condone supporting a company that continues to capitalize while putting their loyal customer’s safety at risk.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Lyft keeps standing me up and wrongfully charging my bank account, repeatedly. One time, if I hadn't had cash in my pocket to call Yellow Cab, I would've been stranded in another city in the middle of the night thanks to these incompetent imbeciles standing me up and wrongfully charging my account. Keep it up Lyft, and I'll see you in court of this crap.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

My account was hacked and used for very long trips in California, totaling $177.00. I live in Michigan and have neither ever been to California or know anyone from there. I have contacted them over and over and they refuse to give me any kind of reimbursement.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

This is the second time that I get a promo code and I dont get the discount. I stop using Lyft for couple reasons, one was several months I got a promo code and I didn't get the discount rate, contacted Lyft customer service and told me that I didn't activate the code. Ok may be I didn't so continue using their services. 2 - issue - using Lyft Share is horrible, several rides that I took to the airport it took way of out off the way, and it was not only one time but several times continue picking up and dropping people in a direction that I was not going (LAX airport). Last time that I took Lyft I got a promo for 50 % off and I made sure that it was activated and again, same issue they told me that they cant do anything 'cause I didn't activate my code, horrible customer service. I ask for a manager and the person hang on me. I wont used their services again.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

His negligence is rewarded and says acceptance if you can't give a full refund or compensate half for my life. My life is more than $5 credit and my business to this company far exceeds $5. This shows how Lyft doesn't really care about the passenger, just the passenger's money. I will be posting on social sites and reviews how low a moral compass this company possess.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Scheduled a ride to airport for 430am. They cancelled it 10 minutes before my trip. They tried to then blame it on me. They said I need to add a new credit card. I have 2 on file... They want a 3rd. I've used it before. Just always problems.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

On Sept 9th I requested a Lyft like I have quite a few times in the past. This lyft driver was not only using his phone the entire time, his seats were also quite stained. I paid no mind to it, never having had a bad experience previously. Fast forward 3 hours later and I've been charged a damage fee for a "coffee spill" (I had no beverages or liquids on my person, just a small bookbag and my phone) with images attached of the driver's stained seats.

After trying to communicate with Lyft regarding this obvious scam for a damage fee, I was sent an automated reply specifying that they stood behind the fee and it would not be removed. As a rider, I don't expect to have to take photo proof of the condition of a vehicle provided by Lyft before I embark on my ride and I don't believe many others would feel comfortable having to take that precaution. Buyer beware, there seems to be little to nothing you can do if a driver charges you this fee. I have since cancelled my service with this company and will not be using them in the future.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

I've been driving for Lyft for about 4 years, soon to quit but I never realized how bad their customer service was til I needed a simple thing done. I got a new phone and new number and tried to update my number via app, I got an error message that told me to contact customer service so I did. This is where things got obnoxiously annoying, out of over 10 messages I've sent, they all ended the same. "We will transfer this to a specialist who can further assist you within 24 hours," instant close. No confirmation that I don't need help with anything else or that I'm okay with the conclusion and they made sure not to leave a way to leave a review.

I'm convinced a lot of these are lazy people sitting in their basements that just want to handle simple task but anything too technical.. They have a mental melt down. Anyways, I finally after days, receive a message that I should be able to update my number.. I see my new number is put in..."cool I thought," NOPE!!! Now I can't log in unless I verify my number! "Okay, no big deal, I'll just go into the settings and verify my number". (ERROR CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR ASSISTANCE).

Before I was able to at least work, just couldn't contact my passengers via phone call, NOW I JUST FLAT OUT CAN'T WORK. Lyft has been around for years and I'm now finding out their staff doesn't know how to update a freaking phone number!?! Completely ridiculous and really makes me eagered to quit this job once I graduate my programming job. I drive for Uber as well and a few food deliveries, and they never gave me even close to this kind of hassle over updating a phone number. Lyft is such a dumpster fire.

Lyft author review by ConsumerAffairs

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.

• Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.

• Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.

• Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.

• Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team