Lyft

Compare Transportation & Rideshare Apps

Research top Transportation & Rideshare Apps recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I love Lyft! It's nice to have the tip feature built in so I can give a little extra to great drivers. All of my drivers have been clean, kind, and professional.

I've never encountered any issues using Lyft. I like that they are about 1/2 the price of a taxi here in Boston. It's convenient to use the app. One reason I prefer Lyft over Uber (there are other reasons) is that I can tip. I think drivers are underpaid, so I tip. I like this.

I used to drive for Lyft. I thought the way they treated me on a couple of issues were horrible at best. I had a rider request a Lyft-Line, I dropped off her friend at the location that they put into the app and then the requestor asked me to drive her 60 miles away and then she passed out in the backseat of my car. When I dropped her off I realized that I wasn't getting paid for the longer drive. I then reported the issue to Lyft and they told me that she was smarter than me and knew how to take advantage of the ride. They should've charged her the difference and paid me.

Friendly and helpful drivers who are happy to accommodate person's request while using the service like stopping for food or coffee on the ride.

I have used Lyft many times, and each time I have been exceedingly pleased. The drivers were prompt, courteous, and professional. I highly recommend Lyft.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

I've contacted them at many different times of the day or night. There is always a driver within 10 minutes or so away. Love seeing the price BEFORE you go. Great idea for the consumer. SAVES A LOT OF MONEY compared to a taxi. Taxis SUCK for customer service.

Lyft is inexpensive and quick. I reduced my cost by using their ride sharing. He picked me up first and then we picked up another lady on the way to where I was being dropped off. It worked seamlessly. I prefer Lyft over Uber, although I do use both of them.

My husband and I were visiting Maui. We had a wonderful day. After returning our rent car I called for a Lyft to return us to the cruise ship. He slammed on his brakes at one point to keep from running a red light. When we arrived at the ship security asked for his driver's license so he could enter the ship drop off area. We found out then that he didn't have a driver's license with him. I don't know if he even has a license. He had to drop us off on the street and we had to walk back to the ship. Don't get in Lloyd's car. Maroon Honda Accord with car body work already dented up.

I have used Lyft and Uber often. I prefer Lyft. The cars are newer and cleaner and the drivers are happier. Lyft always has a car and they don't balk at my multi-stop round trips.

The first time I used Lyft was in Washington DC as both a single rider and a shared ride. The service was most convenient, the drivers ranged from quiet to engaging, and the experience was excellent - the only issue I have is COST... Wow was thirty dollars from my nephew’s house to the train, a 30 minute drive. It would have been $60 a day - not happening, so I rented a car. They need to give a cost factor for distance so consumer can make informed choices! The ride share worked, as did short distances in DC.

Just want to write a very bad review about Lyft company. A passenger lied on me and said I was driving intoxicated when I clearly wasn't. They deactivated my account without warning. This is a horrible company to work for. Stay away!!

My husband, my best friend, her husband and I were in Atlanta (Covington, GA) for the weekend & decided to get a Lyft to the movies. A small Chevy HHR picked us up (I requested 4 seats). It was a tight fit but we arrived to our destination safely. Well, once movie was over requested another Lyft but I requested an SUV this time. Stated out driver Kenny would be there in 5 mins in a black, GMC Terrain. Perfect. I'm tracking his eta. 3 mins left. Get a phone call. I say, "hello." The guy says "hello." I said, "yes, how can I help you?" He said "what?" I say "is this our driver?" He says, "yes." I said "are you here?" He says, "yes & I'm about to leave you." I said "the tracker said you weren't here yet."

We're on our way out. So, we all load into the truck. Then he says how many others are coming? We say this is it. He says "no, get out I'm refusing this ride. It's too many of you." I said I requested 4 seats & we came here in a car smaller than this one. He says, "so get out. I can refuse & I'm refusing." So, we get out & are left a the theater at midnight, in an unknown town, everything is closed. Called another Lyft & waited 10 minutes for her to arrive. I couldn't believe our 1st (2nd) Lyft experience. It will forever leave a bad taste in my mouth. This driver was rude, unprofessional, and inconsiderate. We will never use Lyft again!

Waited for 20 minutes for the driver and later he cancelled the ride. Why this guy Mathew (White Nissan Versa) wasted my 20 minutes on the PHX airport and later cancelled the trip. I was at the right spot. This is ridiculous. Why Lyft has to keep these kind of drivers?

I was a driver for Lyft and my experience was not great. Lyft riders would call for a ride. They would be 15 to 20 minutes away. I was the closest. I notified it would be x amount of time for me to arrive. They say ok. Half way to where they are they canceled or another Lyft got there first. I'm not sure if multiple drivers get the call and can respond but 7 passengers once I called on arrival to their pickup spot said they were in another lyft. Also most of their clients forget this is our own personal vehicle and trash the hell out of it. I was deactivated because drunks that I got were mad when I asked them not to smoke in the vehicle and gave me poor ratings.

This company probably is the same as Uber. I believe it is one company bottom line nobody can help. NO NUMBERS TO CALL IF YOU GOT IN ANY TROUBLE WHILE YOU BE RIDING IN THIS GHOST PLATFORM YOU WILL BE DEAD. I contact this people only thru Twitter and take 2 days to get a message back. Good luck with this crazy dead system.

I booked a ride last night expecting a discount fare they had been offering. Instead they charged me $25.00 dollars for 2 mile $5.35 ride. This is insane. I will never ride with them again. Matter still isn't settled. I will tell everyone I know not to trust them.

I have been a driver for Lyft for a year without incident. Well I received a notice from Lyft that I would have to take care of a debt to the City of Chicago within a certain time limit. I did that, followed the instructions and sent Lyft a copy once I was done. Well I have was still deactivated. Communicating with Lyft has been a nightmare, the only customer service support is done via email to Lyft sometimes without a response. I have emailed Lyft on numerous occasions only to be told that they are waiting on the City of Chicago to send them a statement that I was clear?

Well spoke with the City of Chicago who has been getting flooded with calls from other driver complaining about being disconnected as well. Lyft then makes me resubmit all of my documents to driver again only to have the system stuck on my application being 60% complete. So I have sent up numerous emails asking for a status update without a response from Lyft now. Three weeks ago I went to the support location only to find out that they have no contact. They emailed someone also with no response to my issue for weeks. THERE is a support number that directs people to the website which gives limited or no response to a issue. Lyft is no help!

The app is not easy to use first of all. The first and only time I requested a ride it was not clear about creating a profile etc. As I sat in the back of the SUV that was my ride I got to look more closely at requesting a ride, choosing your car etc. So then I was worried about how much I would have to pay. I tried the contact button and phone number and my driver kept getting calls and texts every time! Later I saw "temporary" authorization which has still not been removed after seven days. Then today I opened the app and ACCIDENTALLY touched the set pick up time button. I immediately cancelled but within those THIRTY seconds a "temporary" authorization was place on my card again!!!

Needless to say I am really put out! If, IF, someone is requesting a ride the app should have a confirmation before a pick up is set, since they IMMEDIATELY put a charge on one's credit card. Very poor business practice. I will not be using this service again, which is disappointing because I am not a fan of Uber any longer either.

On 7/27/17 my LYFT driver stopped and picked up 2 more passengers who were UBER customers??? I informed the LYFT driver that I did not request a "shared ride." He said, "well I'm driving for UBER at the same time, everyone does it." I insisted I did not want to share my ride and then he drove to take the other passengers to their destination. I do not intend to pay for this ride and will also make this my last trip with LYFT.

Very bad help department... Visiting my Dad in Kirkland and got a ride from the house to the 7-Eleven about 1.2 miles, got out and I forgot my new iPhone 7 in the car. Called as soon as I got out using someone phone but did not get an answer, anyhow; called Lyft help department and you can only use e-mail with them so, after 10 hours got a text from the driver "no phone in my car." Called him but he got angry and hang up on me not even knowing me. Trying to reach Lyft customer retention department with no luck. Now I know I'm out of luck for sure, very disappointed and very disturbing customer service.

Lyft must be doing okay because they seem to be in desperate need for new system employees and drivers. This post is just to say if you plan to drive for Lyft, don't any expect internal support that isn't directly to helping to Lyft's bottom line. I'm a former part-time Lyft driver. I requested online help 20+ times for Lyft's ZenDesk during the last year. 75% of the time I got response other than an auto-reply. Lyft may be working hard on autonomous cars, but they are hanging on in regards to driver support.

Please be very careful if using this company!!! My driver was a scammer!! I usually use Uber but my brother arranged for my ride this time and he uses Lyft. It was early, maybe around 2 am on Saturday 6/24. I had left my vehicle at the restaurant we had eaten dinner at and needed a ride home from his house in Parker, Colorado, to my home in Littleton. It was about a 20 minute ride, I was alone in the backseat of the driver's car. The car ride was fine and everything seemed normal... A few days after that $150 in "damages" was deducted from my brother's account. We were so confused as to why, so he tried getting ahold of Lyft immediately... Of course there was absolutely NO way to get ahold of someone on the phone so he had to email them and wait a few days for the response... The Lyft driver, Robin, claimed that I threw up in the backseat of her car. So you charged $150 clean up fee!!!

I was and still am just blown away by what a fraud this lady is! I absolutely did NOT vomit in her vehicle!! This con artist even submitted some bogus pictures!! Lyft did not contact us or even notify us about her claim. You just took it upon yourselves to deduct $150 from my brother's account!!! You didn't even investigate it! Lyft along with your driver, Robin, are a bunch of crooks!!! I'm filing a claim against you and that specific driver. I have photos that were taken of me prior to the ride and photos of when I arrived home... In the same CLEAN clothes... Not a hair out of place! As well as witnesses who were at my home and saw me as soon as I walked in the door. You are a bunch of scam artists!!! I just didn't understand why she would do this... Then it dawned on me... I had left my purse in my vehicle. I assumed my brother tipped her when he paid for the ride like you do with Uber.

I called my brother to see if he tipped her and unfortunately he didn't and assumed I would. Which is absolutely terrible and I would never let any service provider go without a tip!! But now it makes complete sense and shows her motive behind her fraudulent claim. Still no excuse to rip off your customer!! Not tipping her was an honest mistake, it's not grounds for her to rob me! I will be copying this complaint and posting it on all social media networks! No customer should EVER have this happen to them!

I scheduled a ride in advance since I wanted to be extra sure that I would get a ride on time to catch a plane. I did not want to take a risk since there were not too many Lyfts around my area. When my scheduled time came, there was no car!! However Lyft auto-generated a message that my ride was here. Not knowing it was auto-generated, believing it was true, I looked around the neighborhood hard, but I did not see my "black Ford" that was supposed to be there. Called Lyft support, but it only said that I should go online. There was no immediate help. Feeling panicky I called for another Lyft. Luckily it came in 12, 13 min.

Later, I emailed Lyft. The only answer I got was: "After carefully checking, it appears that the first driver who accepted your ride due to some reason was not able to proceed with the request. It also shows that you were picked up by Paul. If there's any other concern about your ride, please let us know so we can further help."

I wrote again, if that was the case, Lyft should not send a false message saying "your ride is here," but notify me that the ride was not coming as soon as they find out. I wasted time waiting and looking for this no show ride. Then customer service wrote back to me "thank you for your suggestion." Lyft customer service does not get it. Where is apology? Where is their sympathy? I was irritated for this injustice, and what they can say is "good suggestion!!!" Anyway, do not trust Lyft scheduled rides or their messages!!

I was nervous when I first tried Lyft. But to even start, I received $50 in credits. $5 off each ride I got and that was very nice. The driver was very friendly and was an excellent driver. I had plenty of time to get to my destination and didn't feel like I had to hurry like I have to do with a cab. I felt so comfortable and safe the entire time. It's very clean too and the prices are very affordable also. I highly recommend Lyft.

I don't have a car right now so I use Lyft. I feel safe, I never worry and drivers are usually my peers of like age and have lot in common. I also like to ride in the newer cars. It's nice.

The app is so easy to use and it helps me get where I need to go without all the hassle. Anyone who needs to get anywhere should use it and you will be as thankful as I am and will never stop using this app. This app give you so many vehicle options to load your stuff or have more people in. I love choosing which vehicle and it's like shopping. Plus you can test out the choices if you are looking to buy. It's great. I feel very safe using this app as the app allows me to tell someone else what I am doing and they will know where I am at at all times so you are protected.

Lyft will take you almost anywhere you need to go much faster than a taxi. I like that you can see your driver's ID before you get picked up. The price is a little high, definitely more expensive than taking public transportation, but you get to ride in style even if you don't own a car. You can order a larger car in case you're planning to buy something big or if you're in a large group of people. This option is really handy. Generally speaking I found these rides safe, but I would be cautious when using them because other drivers might not be as careful. To be even more careful you'd have to drive yourself.

This app is very convenient. It is very easy to use and works with no problems. Easy to find a driver and in a timely matter too. The pricing is also very reasonable and affordable. It's the perfect pricing for anyone who is frugal and on a budget of any kind. The vehicle options section of the app is very easy to navigate and figure out. It's basic and simple so it's common sense what to do and there should be no trouble. Also, I have never experienced a negative car ride or a rude driver. Most of them are very friendly and don't mind helping out. If you're looking for a car app this is one to go.

I have had several great experiences with this company. They care about their clients and seem to hire nice efficient drivers. Very good customer service. Also, I have never had a problem using this app. It is very easy to use and understand and this is a timesaver. It has several choices you can make. It is cheaper than a taxi or Uber and much more affordable than the alternatives out here. Also, the drivers are more polite and service is quicker. I would recommend this app for anyone looking for something quick and affordable, for anyone on a budget and to all my family and friends.

Lyft is very convenient. It gives step by step help to anyone. It also helps you save money and don't charge you to do it. Their pricing is the best. It's very cheap and also you don't have to pay cash, you can pay by credit card so you don't have to worry about people trying and wanting to mug you. However, you never know what you're going to get with the app because it's personal cars or trucks as long as it gets you to where you wanna go. When it comes to safety, you can get good people and sometimes not too good people.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.
  • Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.
  • Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.
  • Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.
  • Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.
  • Best for Lyft is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in metro areas.

Compare Transportation & Rideshare Apps