2.12/5
  • 1 star
Based on 112 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Lyft

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 17, 2018

112 Lyft Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Lyft Loves Homophobia - So let me tell you a story: I get off the metro at Rosslyn in Arlington, VA. I sent over for a Lyft at 3:28 pm on January 16, 2018. The app puts my location on the other side of the metro (one street over). I call the driver to correct his location. His reply is to start screaming at me because he is at the right address (according to the app, not reality). Once I get into the car, he then informs to tell me he does not have time today for **. I email over to Lyft customer support informing them of the issue. Their first reply is to send a stock response asking me why I thought my price was incorrect (despite me not sending over a request for assistance based on being charged the wrong price). Then, the customer service rep tells me that they cannot help me because they cannot determine what ride it was at issue. All in all, the Lyft customer service process is nonsense and I would rather walk.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Just take Uber. Seriously. It might be more expensive, but their car sharing experience is top notch. Lyft decided to literally take me in circles - got picked up, half way through to the destination, go back to where I was picked up to pick up another guy, and so on, 3 times! 30 Min walk/8 Min car ride took 45. Thanks Lyft. You guys the best. Didn't even want to refund me the $3 I spent on this ride. I am done with you. Used you for almost 100 times already. Uber will take my money from now on. Cya never.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Company is a front for CC scammers. Just google Lyft scam and you will find plenty of information. They hit me 5 times, one minute apart on my CC from San Fran. I have never been there and don't even have a Lyft account! They will do nothing to help and don't even have a number to call for help. Please steer clear of this company.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Why you guys playing with customer's money? You guys deduct same amount twice for single ride... I don't know what you guys doing. I need my money back. When I checked my Lyft payment list in Lyft it showing exact deduction as per rides but when it comes to actual deduction from my credit card Lyft deducted twice for each transaction. See on 1/12/18 and back the dates I charged like double. I have 2 Lyft accounts. One mobile no. is **. 2nd is **. Let's suppose my ride cost is 8 and I have 5$ promo code then how much you will charge? 3$ right? BUT YOU GUYS CHARGED ME LIKE 3 $ AND ALSO 8$, I am surprised with this service.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Scheduled a Lyft 2 hours in advance with my home address being the pickup location. Driver ends up 3 streets down; I get notified that he's here but he's 3 streets away. Firstly, I text him “Wrong street. It’s Elm Ave.” He then replies with, "Yeah. I'm at (enter address)." At the point of me texting I'm already outside and my home camera confirmed he hadnt come. I call him at this point and he's telling me he's at my house but I can hear him chatting with people outside his vehicle as if he's from around here. At this point I cancelled my ride and requested an Uber. Was charged 10$ for a cancellation fee but was given it back with Lyft credits (I rarely use these forms of transportation). Uber>Lyft in terms of refunding and payment price (I've had a similar problem with Uber but was refunded within the hour). Lyft is mostly garbage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I USED LYFT. I scheduled a ride on 12/30/17 for a 5 AM pickup to Newark airport for an early morning flight. At 5:10AM I got a call from the driver who said he was on his way and was in Red Bank NJ. I asked the driver where exactly he was in order to gauge his ETA and his response was Red Bank. He would not tell me what road he was on and this continued until he just hung up and never showed up. Luckily I had a car that I could drive to the airport and get myself there just in time. I needed to leave my car in the Short Term Terminal parking garage in order not to miss my flight.

I called Lyft to make the complaint and I got nowhere with the representative so I asked to speak to a supervisor, well he said he could not do that! So apparently I must have been speaking to Mr. Lyft because he said he was the highest authority that I could speak to. This is a horrible company and I don't think they deserve anyone's patronage! THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME I USE LYFT! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND USE ANOTHER COMPANY. BTW, I tried deleting my account and there is no way to do that either!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

This Lyft driver didn’t respond to our calls or texts just 3 minutes after dropping us off at Coty Hall in San Francisco on December 22, 2017 at around 2 pm. My daughter’s glitter bag containing her tablet was in it. Your Lyft driver, Enkhbayar, is here! Look for the White Toyota Prius v. Dishonest.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I schedule my rides the previous night so I won't be late to work, then the next morning they'll say my ride is on the way and then turn around and gets canceled. Then I have to wait an additional 20 minutes or so for another driver which makes me late to work, you all need to do better with your customer service and the way the drivers do their rides.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I left my phone in a Lyft ride a couple days ago and they told me it would be $15 for them to return my item. I agreed and the man dropped off my phone to me. When I checked my account after getting my item returned I saw a charge not for $15... Wait for it... $150. Their customer service is so bad that I’ve sent out 5 emails regarding this and I have not gotten 1 response towards it. The sad thing is they are probably going to get away with it. No more Lyft for me.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

They accepted a trip from my insurance company and they had proper notification that my daughter is highly allergic to air fresheners. Instead of denying the trip they waited till a day before and then said they couldn’t guarantee a trip without air fresheners/healthy breathing environment. We are scrambling to find a company to help at the last minute because she is in pain. This company is not responsible enough to work with health issues or as medical transportation for insurance companies they put my daughters health at risk and I won't forget that and I also will never trust this company ever or recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

On December 10, 2017 My best friend and I were on Vacation in San Francisco. My friend requested a Lyft from her App to pick us up at the Hotel and take us the San Francisco Airport. Our Lyft driver had just driven off, at the same time I realized my backpack with my iPad and other items, still in her vehicle. *1st agent. We immediately contacted Lyft, the agent said he would call the driver and would get back to us in a few minutes. The Lyft driver, nor the Lyft agent called us back. Luckily I had my iPhone and my Drivers license in my pocket and was able to board our plane. When we landed, I discovered a way in the Lyft App to contact the driver. I left her a voicemail and sent her text message, she did not return either.

*2nd time I contacted the Lyft helpdesk the representative said there was no record of the 1st agent, ever trying to contact the driver, the new agent said he would contact the driver and call me back in two hours, he never did! *NOTE: After contacting the driver through the Lyft App once, that option was no longer available. After the first time of contacting the Lost and Found department, that option is no longer available on the app. The only way I could continue contacting Lyft was by selecting the option to *Report an Accident. 3rd agent advised she sees the other tickets placed to contact the driver, but that the driver will not respond, she states, there is nothing she can do for 24 hours, she said it could be escalated after the 24 hours, call them back then and get what I needed to make a police report. I called back after 24 hours, 4th agent said the help desk department at Lyft, is handled by 3rd party vendors with very little training.

She said she found, numerous records of agents attempting to contact the driver, but it was noted the Lyft driver would not respond. The agent gave me Lyft Driver name -Jervice and her Tom identification number, **. This agent said she would escalate this to Trust and Risk internal Department and I would receive an email with instructions for filing a police report and documents to supply the Police with. Surprise! We did not get an email. 5th agent at Lyft said she could see the driver had a rider, she placed me on hold and said she called the Lyft driver, she said the Lyft driver didn't see my backpack in the vehicle, but that she had picked up several passengers after me and maybe one of her passengers took the backpack. At that point I realized there was nothing more we could do, but place a Police Report. I had to call a 6th Lyft agent, because we didn't receive the promised email, with the information for filing a police report.

6th Lyft agent said there was no record of the agent speaking to the driver and that the previous Lyft agent lied, she said agents could absolutely "not" contact a driver while driving with a passenger. My frustration level is boiling now. The evening before I had set my iPad up to contact me thru the Find my Phone App. Late that evening, I received an email from APPLE with a current location and address of my stolen iPad. The address was in Berkeley CA. During our drive with our Lyft driver, she told us she lived in Berkeley and worked for the eBay Bus department and drove for Lyft on the side. Agent #7- Dec 13th 11:50 pm I spoke with agent (Serai) in the Trust and Safety response team, he pulled up all my calls and lumped all the information together. He said he would not verify where the person lived or give any personal information, of course I understood.

He said a report was never issued in the Lost and Found department and issued a report document documenting our conversation with detailed notes Report Number **. At this point it's after midnight, I'm tired and frustrated and frightened. My whole life is on that iPad and it was not secure, I wanted to give up, he really encouraged me to stay with it one more time and transferred me to the Correct Department, to Lyft Lost and Found. This time I spoke with an agent (Reagan) who really was awesome (I thought). She said a lost and found report had never been issued and she issued a Lost and Found Report (**). I told her about my iPad picking up the address in Berkeley and asked her if she could confirm, if it was at least in the drivers home address vicinity. She said... Yes... That's the Drivers home address. OMG!!! She also advised that she would escalate the report, and suspend the driver from being able to drive for LYFT.

Returning home the thing first thing in the morning I called the San Francisco Police Department to find out which Police Dept Jurisdiction I should file the report with. The police informed me, that because I was no longer in the area, I would need to file in my local Jurisdiction. I filed a police report, advised in the report that the Lyft Lost and Found agent had confirmed the home address of the Lyft driver was the same as my iPad location and processed the report. Next I contacted Lyft Lost and Found Department to supply them with the Police Report number. Once again I spoke with an agent from the Lyft Lost and Found department, this agent said, there are no records of my report and wanted to transfer me to Trust and Safety department. OMG! I said, are you sure? Trust and Safety Department informed me she could not help me and was very short and unsympathetic at first.

I told her about my iPad found at the drivers home address, she said that it was impossible for that Rep to have been able to know anything about the driver, those reps do NOT have access to drivers personal information. She also stated that the Representative had absolutely no way of suspending the Lyft driver, another lying whooper! I ask the agent, "Why can't you help me escalate this, there has to be a way," she said she only took calls for assault and car accidents. Well... I feel I've been emotional assaulted, does that count? In the then end she was helpful, she helped me to understand the magnitude of lies I had been told, and awareness of how duped I had been. She also mentioned a software change occurred over the weekend and perhaps my information was located on the old software? I spent my entire vacation changing passwords, calling banks and getting the run around from Lyft.

My entire trip was pretty much ruined. Lyft agents, told numerous lies and gave out Fraudulent and mis-information. IT'S CALLED CUSTOMER ABUSE, when your Lyft's representative place a customer on hold and makes a phony outbound call, supposedly to the Lyft driver. The Kicker is, the Lyft Driver, is supposedly still driving for them. List of Stolen Items: iPad, Ray Ban Sunglasses, black down jacket and Car Key Fob, all was still in her car, estimated value $1000. Not to mention I didn't have a way to drive my car home and I was an hour away. Dec 12, 2017 Copy of Apple Email of IPAD location: Carol **'s iPad was found near ** at 5:56 PM PST. Police Report information: **.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

My boyfriend opened an account with Lyft over a year ago. They didn't have any drivers available in the area we lived in so he never used them. A couple days ago, I see a "Debit authorization pending from Lyft" on my checking account. I never authorized anything of the sort. Lyft managed to take $70.08 from my checking account without authorization. I tried calling customer service, it was a recorded message stating if I have an emergency, call 9-1-1, otherwise I need to contact them via help.lyft.com. I managed to send an email through support on their website and actually got a response (shocked). Not that it did me any good.

After emailing back and forth with 3 different people, finally I'm told that they cannot reverse the charges sending me some kind of disclaimer. So my perception of this is basically they can take the money out of your account anytime they want and there's nothing you can do about it. Except maybe to close your account. I will be pursuing legal action.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I recently used Lyft to travel 1.8 miles from my apartment in Brooklyn to the Barclays Center. The ride was advertised as $9.00 when I booked it (approximately). However, a day later, when I received the final tally, the ride cost me $71. Lyft claimed high demand, but it wasn't indicated at all when I used the app to book the ride. They also had a drop-off on the route map that was 2 miles from where I actually was dropped off (the Barclays Center)! I looked online to find a phone number to have a rational conversation with a customer service person. No number found - it's impossible. I did the online "Request Review" through the app. They credited me $35 --- but I still paid way too much for this ride. I feel like I've been ripped off, and there is no one to talk to (nor was there an email). I am done with Lyft.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Requested a Lyft ride at SFO in Terminal 3 and was told a driver was on the way of dropping a riders in the International Terminal and wait time was 5 minutes. 8 minutes later I was told Lyft found me another driver who was 7 minutes outside of SFO. And it took 15 minutes for 2nd driver to get to me and I could see him stopped in the middle way and I checked there was no traffic whatsoever. I later called Lyft to complain about it and their customer service reps refused to address the issue and just tried brush me off by kept saying, "Have a good day." Very rude and no accountability. I am done with Lyft for life. On top of that I didn't receive receipt for my rides, and my call to Lyft resulted them sending me an email telling me to check spam folder. I need receipts to file for expense report, and I am not getting them.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

My fiancé drives for Lyft and Uber part time for extra money and Lyft always has issues. Every time he gets a ride request he accepts it. He has never not taken it or cancelled on anybody. Not one time. But he will accept a ping and be almost to the destination 20 min away and it will say rider cancelled. And he gets payees 0 nothing from Lyft. I don't understand. The other day he called dispatch. They said the customer had a scheduled ride with another driver and he never showed up and that's why they cancelled. Well that don't make any sense. Then why did they ping my husband. He was almost at their home.

He had nothing to do with the other driver not showing up and didn't know anything about it. He was just going to pick someone up who requested a ride. And today same thing 20 min draining. Cancelled. No pay. It's costing up money. It's ridiculous. And Lyft dispatch said to him after he called them and he knew he wasn't getting paid 00000. He denied a ride request 25 min away. A text came. They took him off Lola I said good something about him taking ride request it was the 1st time he didn't take one anyway. I will never ride with Lyft. I would use Uber. Way better.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Last night I called a Lyft to go to a party. I was with my other two friends. He pooled us across the road and asked us to cross the road. As we were all dressed up and wearing heels we asked him, "Can you please leave us close to the gate." He ran his car and went around the road. So we said "you could have just took a right turn and left us there." He suddenly started saying, "You guys giving me ** headache." We said "excuse me, you were supposed to leave us close to the gate which you did not. Now you are saying we are giving you headache?". He starting saying "get the ** out of my car" and turned off the camera in his car. He started cursing us and shouting for no reason.

When we said we need to call the cops he even said "you can do nothing to me". Now my question is where is he getting all this power from? He did this to us today. Maybe he will do the same to other people. These incidents need to stop. If no action is been taken I need to stop using Lyft. Even I need to suggest everyone I know to stop using Lyft. I work in JFK. I always suggested my passengers to use Lyft until now. Now I am concerned for people's safety.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I was charged $50 for what the app said was an $11 ride. When I tried to contact support 1. The support email address bounced. No such service exists. 2. The support phone number told me to call 911 in an emergency. No ** really? No support here. 3. Took an hour to enter the 20000 details required online for a support ticket. Result? Never using this ** service again. Not to mention the CSR smelt like indian takeaway and the driver was on his phone chatting to someone in another language the entire 10 minute ($50) trip and didn't even bother with a hello. AWFUL.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

After my son recommend Lyft several times, I gave it a try. All was well for about week until one morning Lyft could not find my location. Finally walked to the corner and scheduled a Lyft line. A driver was scheduled and my pick up time was 2 mins out, also my Visa was charged 3.70. After time passed I checked my phone my pick up time changed to 6-8 mins.

The line driver scheduled 2 more pick ups, I had to cancel. The second drive was scheduled and arrives within minutes in a dirty, code violation filled car, windshield cracked, busted light. I almost didn't get in but I was running late. We drove 1.08 miles (my normal location is 1.18 miles). I exit the car and see I've paid 7.63 dollars for a ride that normally cost 3.00. Reported this to CS, they only offered a 2.25 refund. So the ride was 5.77. It's not about the refund, it's the principal. Companies shouldn't be allowed to quote and charge for services then without notice or the customer making changes to the service (drop off location) charge different / higher fee. I will not use them again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I took a ride with them - fine. There was a problem with billing, so I used my credit card, which they have confirmed. But somehow they have also put some kind of authorization, without my knowledge, on another credit card, and now that is blocked. I have tried contacting them, but they just have email support, and send me to their FAQ page. I've now spent an hour on this so far, with no resolution.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I tried using their app and it kept sending the driver someplace else then I would get charged for no show and the driver was very rude. I called them up and all they told me was to reinstall their app. Why would I want to risk getting charged again. No thanks. I rather use another service. Very bad experience and the driver wanted me to pay them more money.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Will never take a Lyft again. A driver takes off after I unload bags of soda with all my food. After being notified comes back hour later expecting me to be willing to welcome her and the food. I don't know this lady from EVE. Nor do I know who was in car after me nor would I have a way to know if my food was touched. Who would knowingly drive around with someone's food in the car with no intent to bring directly back. A customer service rep was so nasty her mom had to drop her on her head. Need a class action lawsuit against these guys. They are getting too big for their pants.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I dropped my phone in a Lyft car, and while the driver was wonderful and prompt at turning it into the Lyft office the customer service was horrible. They did not notify me of the location of my phone, despite my immediate reporting, until more than 24 hours after the driver turned it in. There is no way to call and there is no way to speak to an agent who knows how to handle any issues. I was told repeatedly that the Lost and Found did not have phones. In addition, I was told to visit the Lyft office to retrieve my phone on Friday between 10-2 and despite arriving in ample time found the office closed for a holiday - even though customer service told me the office was going to be open. I ran into 4 others who went to the office also told that it was open. I am completely dissatisfied with the way this company runs its operations. If it wants to compete with Uber it needs to step up its customer service game.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Used this app a few times. Last night used it to come home after a concert and after drinking. IDK why the app or driver took me to a different city, but the driver threatened us when we didn't want to get out in an unfamiliar place. Left us, and when we called customer service they also didn't care whatsoever. You're supposed to use this service instead of drinking and driving but I'll not use it again. The other driver who picked us up and drove us home was also very creepy and said some scary stuff. Never using this again. YOU'RE SAFER DRIVING HOME DRUNK.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I had my first ride from Lyft in Miami. The ride was fine, but I left an expensive camera in the passenger floorboard when I got out. My wife tried to stop the car as it drove off unsuccessfully. My daughter said that her friends leave things in Ubers all the time. Just use the app and tell them that you have a lost item. I did this within a minute or two of the car leaving. I could not get a response from the driver or Lyft except that they were not in contact with the driver. The driver did not respond when she could have just turned around and dropped the item off. After two hours I get a response from Lyft saying that the item is not in the car, and she (the driver) knows nothing about it. Granted, it's possible, if she had more hires after me, that someone could have taken the camera. However, the lack of instant contact is where my problem is.

She instantly got a message from Lyft to pick me up for the original ride. Why can there not be an instant message to go back if there is a problem. There probably is and was that method. There was also the communication barrier. The driver did not speak English. Did she not respond because she did not understand what was being asked due to the language barrier? I would say that is more probable and that is a major problem. Meanwhile my camera goes missing. Lyft basically said tough luck, you should have checked before you got out, file a police report if you are unhappy. Nobody is perfect. I did leave the camera in the car. But I would bet an airline would have brought the item to lost and found and it would be mine today. If Lyft is unaccountable for any lost items, and the drivers can't communicate with the passengers, that is a major problem. Obviously, I will never use them again. I hope others will do the same.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I used this app pretty frequently because of their promo codes, but then in multiple cases, the navigation told the driver to go to a different location than the one I specified. In one case going home, we had to actually stop in the middle of traffic because I realized we were going to the opposite part of town. In another case, I had to pay the driver 20 dollars more because the app brought us to a whole different location that was much further. The driver had to drive me back for free because the location was so remote.

In many cases, my rides are significantly more expensive compared to what I would be charged from an Uber ride. I usually go to the grocery store on the same day at the same time every week, and Uber has been consistently cheaper when there are no promo codes for Lyft. Overall, I’ve had terrible and dangerous experiences because of Lyft’s navigation.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I complained to American Express when a Lyft driver in Miami charged my card when I wasn't even in Miami (fraud) and Lyft refunded it but disabled my account and won't reinstate it! Talk about abusing the victim! It's infuriating and wrong. They won't even contact me to discuss. Horrible horrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Lyft canceled my ride while I was already IN THE CAR with driver who now was not going to get paid for ride. He kept trying to message Lyft while driving so I tried to find customer support. Only could send email with NO REPLY. Driver wanted to take me off highway to go find an ATM machine so I could pay him. I refused but said I would pay him by check. I repeatedly tried to get someone at Lyft to correct the situation while in process but no way to reach support. I also asked they call me while I was in the car. Once home I sent another email and did get reply thanking me for paying the driver. This company puts customers potentially in very bad situations with no way to contact for help.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Our location was not reliable. Could not find them. Both called first. One hung up. Second I could not find. I told him where I was but never saw him. Walked back and forth to no avail. Worse thing was they charged me a $5 cancellation fee. I will not use them again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I just found out my daughter has been using a car that I pay for, insure and register! She did not ask for permission but the worst part is, Lyft does not require her to get permission from the vehicle owner! The loophole is, because my daughter's name is on my insurance policy, they'll allow her to drive for them! PARENTS BEWARE!!

So I call Lyft, and had the rudest experience I've ever had! This jackwagon tells me that the only thing I can do is remove my daughter from my insurance policy? Lyft will not do anything without MY DAUGHTER'S CONSENT!!! Are you kidding me? I asked for a manager and was told this person was the manager and there was no one above her! The coward wouldn't even give me a name or phone number. Do yourself a favor and do not use this service. They do not care about their drivers or the vehicles being used.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I use to work with Lyft. I start working yesterday actually the thing is they took so long to check my background and all... They took 2 weeks to check and after 2 weeks they open my account and they told me, "Congratulation. You are approved to work with Lyft..." I did 2 rides after that they suspended my account. When I email them they said, "Your driving record is not good." They suppose to check everything before they open. One day they said, "Oh you are approved." When I complete 2 rides then they said. "Your Lyft is suspended because of your driving record." I was so pissed. I'm still emailing them but no one is replying me back. If you don't want to waste your time don't work with Lyft... Lyft is a wasting time. That's all I want to say.

Lyft expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.

• Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.

• Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.

• Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.

• Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.

• Best for: Lyft is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in metro areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Lyft Company Information

www.lyft.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use