Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.76/5
Based on 1,362 ratings submitted in the last year

Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Lyft Reviews

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Lyft drivers arrive on time and get me to my destinations safely. They generally use the highway which somehow feels safer to me. Yet, I only use Lyft when I have my spouse or a friend with me so that I can feel safe during every ride. Most drivers are very friendly and chatty while others stay focused on the road and only say hello and sometimes goodbye. Every Lyft driver I have encountered have clean vehicles which tells me that they are diligent about their work. All things considered, Lyft is preferable to a taxi because it's more professional and much easier to access.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Lyft have always helped me every time I asked the driver for a favor. They will go above and beyond. For instance, I am able to schedule more than one location on the app, the day before, and when I asked for more stops they have always billed it for me. But I'll always try to buy them snacks or drinks for the favor. They are always so friendly and helpful! Uber driver didn't care about where he was kicking me to the curb, didn't care that I didn't know how to use their app, didn't care that I lived. I'm glad I scheduled to drop off my daughter at school first, so she wasn't there to witness her scared mom with no ride home.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Rideshare saves me only about $1.00 or less. Point to point is never same price. Maybe uses algorithm supply and demand? About 1/3 cost station cabs which surcharges $2.50 more for credit card. I did not take advantage up to $20 credit new customer and was not retro. I fractured shoulder and cannot drive since Dec 27. I may take subscription for 1 month yet as it is daily rate sometimes 3 cars daily with Dr and PT and visiting my sister in subacute. Satisfied. Most my rideshares only me but longer roundabout trip.

Original review: March 11, 2019

My daughter was a heavy Lyft user (she's a non-driver), so last year when I was unable to drive due to surgery, I gave it a try. I happen to live in a well-served suburban area so I never had to wait more than a few minutes, and the cars were always very clean. It worked out quite well for me. It got pricey the time or two I took a longer trip. When visiting New York in the middle of it, I met up with friends who were so ingrained in using such services that they talked about "catching an Uber uptown"... as several yellow cabs sailed right past us.

Original review: March 9, 2019

There must be a much better way to contact LYFT with a problem instead of pouring through layers on the app to make contact. Other than that I love that there are so many available drivers and that we have the option to share, thus reducing costs. So far, all drivers have been just fine and I only had to wait once for a longer time than usual on Christmas Day 2017 because of snow. I love that the average wait time is six minutes or so.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I took a ride with Lyft on January 22, 2020 and Lyft put TWO "temporary" holds on my account for $31.47 EACH which caused my account to be overdrawn. I have been charged $108 in overdraft fees because of this transaction. I contacted Lyft immediately and I received the POOREST customer service from a woman named Mkhimba or Khimba. She was HORRIBLE!! I contacted Lyft three more times and NEVER received a resolution just the company's CANNED answers from the customer service representatives. I DELETED my account with Lyft and I will NEVER do business with them. Lyft is okay if you do not have a SERIOUS problem but if the problem requires Lyft to assume responsibility for their mistake - forget it. CORPORATE GREED and poor customer service. Lyft seems to forget that without the customer there is no business or profits. Slimy company. DO NOT patronize Lyft, go with Uber or some other ride sharing service.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Twice I referred my friends and twice they didn't give me the bonus. I contacted customer service several times and they said that my code wasn't accepted but for some magical reason they accept my friends as drivers.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I was charged 100.00 in damages that I didn't cause to the driver's vehicle. The only reason I utilized the ride service was because I didn't want to valet my car at the restaurant I ate at. When asked to show proof of the damages from Lyft's driver, it looked like she poured oatmeal all over her back seat. Beware of these scams.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

My son was robbed and they took his phone and pin. The thief was using our Lyft account. As I watched this from the app on my phone, I spent over an hour trying to stop this from happening. Sure you can delete your account, but not until customer service picks up the request. In the meantime, there's no obvious way to stop this, so watch out if it happens to you. There was no way to delete my CC from the app to stop the thief from continuing to use it. The error said you cannot delete the only CC on the account. THAT, is ridiculous.

Eventually, I found a number to call through the convoluted help menu, and the rep deleted the account. How stressful it was to watch the thief use my account ride after ride, as I struggle to get what should be some simple help from Lyft. After many requests to Lyft support to remedy this and refund the charges, not only did they not reimburse, I never even got a response from support, other than one unhelpful rep who said "well, the rides were taken". My response is, "Well, if you had some security measures in place this wouldn't have happened." In this day and age, it's inexcusable. Lyft, get with the times. Phones get hacked, phones get lost and stolen. NEVER again will I use Lyft.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

On January 1st, my son and I took a Lyft to the airport to meet the rest of our family. The driver got to our house around 4:18am and we arrived safely at the airport at roughly 4:30am. It was raining so some of our belongings were slightly damp. A day later, I receive an email stating I am being charged a urination damage fee in the vehicle! Neither member of our party urinated in the vehicle! I was extremely upset! After informing them that this information is correct, they stated the 'evidence' that they have is a wet spot where the back side of your knee would rest. The area was about 2 inches in diameter. All told, it appeared to be the area where the car seat was placed that may have been wet from being outside. I was charged 50 dollars and currently I am disputing with them. I will never use Lyft again.

Not sure about Lyft?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Lyft expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.

• Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.

• Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.

• Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.

• Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.

• Best for: Lyft is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in metro areas.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team