2.20/5
Based on 201 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

235 Lyft Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I ordered a Lyft 10 hours in advance. The ride was accepted and I was to be picked up at 9:55 PM at Charlotte airport. I received a message saying that my car was 12 minutes away then an update saying 7 minutes away. A couple of minutes the ride was cancelled by the driver. I was left stranded at the airport and had to wait 45 minutes for a taxi that cost me $60.00. I will never trust Lyft again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Follow me on this: I had no funds on any of my credit or debit cards and was stranded with no way home (only about 6 miles away). Since I have used Lyft for numerous years I figured I could get a free ride. The rep gave me a coupon for $15, which would cover the ride, but, I HAD TO HAVE THE FUNDS TO COVER THE COUPON! I told them if I had funds why would I need a free ride coupon? Lyft hung up after saying that's how it is and also said their corporate office will not do anything. I am looking for their corporate number as soon as I am finish posting this complaint. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH LYFT!

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Drive promotions are a rip off and you can never speak to anyone about your concerns. You break your neck and use more gas than you receive payout. They told me 10 rides over the weekend would GUARANTEE $90 but the catch is if you do more than 10 they count those too and if you make $90 you gets NOTHING!!! Like I've said the money you spend in gas is more than the payout you receive. My ten rides equaled $60 but to keep from giving me $90 they counted my 3 extra rides equaling 13 and only gave a promotion of $9.21. What a rip-off!!! If you put in effort to make at least $90, why can't they match it???

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I was given a 25% off for ten rides on Lyft but the rides I took from July 29 to August 2 weren’t applied correctly. I tried contacting them through email since that’s the only way to contact them and they kept insisting there was no mistake. I screenshot all the receipts and sent them the copies and after that no response. They have been ignoring my emails and not responding to me at all. They totally ripped me off by telling me I have a 25% off coupon that will be added to each ride automatically then not abide to that coupon. I was overcharged and taken advantage. They owe me money. Has anyone had this problem too? We need to do something about this.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I was pleased to learn that you can pre-book a Lyft ride in advance and accordingly booked a trip from Monte Rio, CA to SFO Airport, about 18 hours before the scheduled pickup. Lyft confirmed the trip at the time of the booking. To my surprise and shock, Lyft canceled the reservation 10 minutes before the scheduled pickup, claiming that they couldn't find a driver. Here I was, 2 hours away from the airport and 3.5 hours before takeoff without a ride. Lyft should not have confirmed a reservation without having a driver assigned to the trip. USER WARNING: Lyft IS UNRELIABLE ESPECIALLY WHEN BOOKING CRITICAL TRIPS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Lyft has no telephone number for complaints or other issues. Here's my story... For weeks I have been deluged with ads giving me a 25% discount until August 15. So I go to Las Vegas and a make a number of trips while I am there. Not once did I receive my 25% discount. Worse than that, it would appear that the fares have been jacked up to a point to where they are approximately twice those of Uber for exactly the same ride. I know this because I was making the same trip many times a day and Uber was 40/50% Cheaper. I was in Las Vegas from July 28-August 1. I am not sure what I can do about this since there is no way to contact Lyft for a discussion of this matter. Help!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Almost as bad as Uber. No phone # that works. Really sad. Cannot check if my scheduled ride is actually posted. After going through the Schedule Procedure, I am asked to schedule a ride!!!! I apparently cannot confirm my schedule (Not given an opportunity). It does not save my corrected 'home' address, so I need to type it over and over again. The software really needs to be designed by someone who is familiar with the computer process. Again, you can not communicate with a 'live' person. Their so called answer to every question is to give you the page on which you have the question, and around we go. I hope the ride shows up on time!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Lyft works well if their GPS system is on target. Ocassionally they will have me waiting at a location nearby but the driver won't see me in time and they allow you less than a minute to be in the car with the driver. So in several instances I have been left to try to get a cab due to lack of an internet connection. Overall they are a good service but as always it may often depend on the driver.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I feel like Lyft’s cars are always nice and clean and the drivers are very professional. The rates are competitive so I feel confident that I’m paying too much.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I've only used this twice, once to a restaurant, & once getting back from that same restaurant, in Boston. Fast, efficient, and the driver was so polite & nice! Plus, it was very economical. I would use them again.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Called and set up times and destinations. They texted w/ times & driver's names. Everything went perfectly both times. Drivers were great, vehicles were clean and new.

Original review: July 30, 2018

It’s cheaper than a taxi and they are reliable there in minutes. The cars are clean and the drivers are knowledgeable. They talk to you and you don’t have to listen to so foreign music or conversation.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Lyft is extremely convenient as a college student. It's always available whether I'm running too late to class or work and I've had a generally good experience so far. I've only encountered 1-2 extremely aggressive drivers out of my last 30 trips and Lyft is always attentive to customers when they have bad experiences. I haven't had any problems with Lyft drivers compared to what my friends say about Uber.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Lyft cars are very clean and in new condition and the drivers are very polite and friendly. They are willing to have conversation with you if you want or if you prefer will respect your right to quiet. The fares are very reasonable cheaper than most taxi companies and once in a while Lyft offers you ride discounts which is nice and not offered by regular taxi companies.

Original review: July 28, 2018

When no taxis are available close by, Lyft is a great alternative. Costs seem about even, drivers are equally courteous (here in Chicago), while Lyft vehicles are usually newer.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Easier to use than Uber which is the ride company I usually use. Liked that cars had sign for company. Also less expensive to use.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Lyft maliciously deactivates drivers without taking into consideration their side of the story. In March 2018, I was deactivated for 3 days due to a lying passenger claiming they were involved in an accident with me. I had to send photos, etc. to prove it was fallacious. On Sunday, 22 July I received an email from Lyft, stating that a passenger had said I "seemed to be intoxicated or were in possession of a substance while driving on the Lyft platform." They refuse to say what it was, they just sent this line of crap.

If anyone knows Denver, cops are crawling everywhere and it is simply inconceivable that I would drive impaired. Needless to say, this is total b.s. Lyft refused to provide what the rider said, nor ratings and remarks from other passengers during the night of 21 July 2018. I have been a driver on the platform since October 2014, and have given more than 8,500 rides. My rating has never dropped below 4.9, and the comments and praise I have received from riders has been overwhelming.

If the rider (who was probably drunk) was so concerned, why was I not asked to pull over immediately? Why why did he/she not contact the police and Lyft right then? To those who count on Lyft for earning a living, I have one word of advice. Don't! They will drop you in a blink of the eye without ever siding with the driver. I have hired a lawyer, and will be suing them in California and Colorado. This is total abuse of a dominant position, and they should be held accountable. I have also contacted the press and the Public Utilities Commission here in Denver. Just to be clear, there is no way I would ever drive for them again if they reconsider, and I will NEVER use their crappy service again.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Bad useless app. No way to verbally communicate with company. Customer's complaints are 100% believed before and never get driver's side of issue. So if customer abuses you even verbally and you defend yourself verbally, if they choose to complain Lyft just assumes drivers was wrong and they deactivate your app. Lousy company to work for. Now we are why they are not 1st choice.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Never had anything but a great experience. Drivers have always been friendly and knowledgable. Cars always clean with no smoke residual. Charge is always known up front.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I've used Lyft a couple of times to get to the airport and the process was easy. I felt safe with the drivers I got. Much less expensive than cabs or limos. Much more convenient than shuttles. The first time I used Lyft, it made me nervous that I couldn't schedule a pickup ahead of time, which I think would be a nice feature.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Lyft's GPS is garbage!!! 75% of the time the GPS is WRONG. I rely on my passengers for directions. I have pointed out, complained about their GPS all no to avail!!! LYFT has NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Their administration is a JOKE, there is NO HELP for ANY questions any driver has, it's all about passing the buck to another MORON!!! I USE to be a driver, BUT after two weeks, I am DONE, have deleted my account. Hello UBER!!!

Original review: July 25, 2018

LYFT has been of great service to me. Generally, when I need a ride, LYFT responds quicker than Uber, and is cheaper. The few times that Uber did respond quicker they volunteered that though they do both, LYFT pays better.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I was in AZ & tired of renting a car -- someone told me about Uber & Lyft (at that time I didn't have either). Both times were awesome. I needed help moving some items into apt and they went over & above to help. I tip well when I get great service.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I drove for Lyft. It is very convenient and affordable for the riders. However, the drivers get the short end of the stick. With the fares charged to the rider, the driver quite often loses money once taxes, maintenance, and expenses are considered.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I appreciate the service and most of the time it works well. However, there are several glitches. It's unsettling when you are charged twice as much for an identical return trip. It takes a few emails to correct the mistake. That has happened to me twice. Another annoying issue is when you wait twenty minutes and the app shows a wait time of five or ten minutes.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I actually used the Lyft app as a passenger 1st when I was working an late night event at the convention center and I was happy with the company and my teenagers use it all the time now.

Original review: July 23, 2018

The driver was always on time and polite. Their vehicles were always clean and if they played music it was not loud or inappropriate. In most cases they asked if I wanted to turn the music off. I enjoyed the conversations I had with the drivers.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I had to call three different Lyft cars to finally pick me up. I was at a well known community hospital late at night and the driver could not find the location. The night nurses were pushing me out the door, and the car had still not arrived.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Someone opened an account with Lyft using my email. When I received the confirm account link, I obviously clicked that this was not my account, thinking that would be the end of it. Wrong. It allowed the person to use my email anyway, and thus I get emails every time some random woman in California catches a ride. I've emailed Customer Service explaining my problem multiple times, and they are unwilling to help. They deactivate the account, but logging in gives a person the option to reactivate it within 60 days. So guess what? She reactivates, every time. They refuse to permanently remove the account, and I continue getting emails about Nikki from California going to Taco Bell.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Drivers for Lyft are much more professional than drivers for Uber, in my experience. Also, after taking the same route with both companies, Lyft was less expensive.

Lyft expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.

• Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.

• Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.

• Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.

• Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.

• Best for: Lyft is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in metro areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Lyft Company Information

www.lyft.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business