2.86/5

496 Lyft Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 24, 2019

Lyft have always helped me every time I asked the driver for a favor. They will go above and beyond. For instance, I am able to schedule more than one location on the app, the day before, and when I asked for more stops they have always billed it for me. But I'll always try to buy them snacks or drinks for the favor. They are always so friendly and helpful! Uber driver didn't care about where he was kicking me to the curb, didn't care that I didn't know how to use their app, didn't care that I lived. I'm glad I scheduled to drop off my daughter at school first, so she wasn't there to witness her scared mom with no ride home.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Rideshare saves me only about $1.00 or less. Point to point is never same price. Maybe uses algorithm supply and demand? About 1/3 cost station cabs which surcharges $2.50 more for credit card. I did not take advantage up to $20 credit new customer and was not retro. I fractured shoulder and cannot drive since Dec 27. I may take subscription for 1 month yet as it is daily rate sometimes 3 cars daily with Dr and PT and visiting my sister in subacute. Satisfied. Most my rideshares only me but longer roundabout trip.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2019

My daughter was a heavy Lyft user (she's a non-driver), so last year when I was unable to drive due to surgery, I gave it a try. I happen to live in a well-served suburban area so I never had to wait more than a few minutes, and the cars were always very clean. It worked out quite well for me. It got pricey the time or two I took a longer trip. When visiting New York in the middle of it, I met up with friends who were so ingrained in using such services that they talked about "catching an Uber uptown"... as several yellow cabs sailed right past us.

Original review: July 16, 2018

A few years ago, I had a taxi scheduled for early the next morning. I was going to have a medical procedure from which I would not be able to drive home. They didn't show up and when I called, a surly voice just said, "Yeah, we're working on it." My wife does not drive and this attitude and service has often been my wife's experience with Seattle taxis. That was the last one we called. Lyft has always been good and, another time when I had a minor medical emergency, they showed up within 3 minutes and got me right to the door of the ER: even gave me a bottle of water. The app is a thing of wonder and that, coupled with having your payment info already on account, clearly is the way to do this. By the way, we did the calculations and, even if my wife did drive, it is cheaper for her to use Lyft for the few times a week necessary than owning and maintaining a second car.

Original review: July 10, 2018

For both Uber and Lyft, living in a rural town 20 miles south of the nearest urban center, both Uber and Lyft were terrific providing rides from the urban center to my home in a small rural community, but when trying to get a ride from my rural home into the town, both rideshare companies said No Rides Available. Obviously as I live in a rural community this is frustrating, but 20 miles? There should be a driver available to come pick me up if they can bother to return me home. For me an actual taxi service is only about $5 more than either Uber or Lyft, damned prompt and willing to come pick me up and return me home. A taxi may be a bit more expensive but is far more convenient than either Uber or Lyft.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

Original review: June 23, 2019

I recently took a short Lyft ride in which the engine was running badly and the cabin quickly filled with exhaust odor, making me sick. I spent the ride with my head hanging out the window (the driver didn't seem to notice.) When I reported it by phone, the agent, who barely spoke English, refused to give me a full credit or a refund, saying he "didn't have the tools." Meanwhile this vehicle is probably still running around Indianapolis making other riders sick. I am cancelling my Lyft account since they show such a callous disregard for the health of their passengers.

Original review: June 20, 2019

First off let me say I HAVE NEVER HAD A HACK PROBLEM on Paypal... then the other day I went to Anchorage and got a Lyft from airport to a doctors appointment. Today I got a call from my bank informing me that there had been over 25 charges adding up to almost $3000. Although PayPal is taking care of the issue for me, I am FURIOUS...Furthermore it shows on my PayPal activity that these crazy charges started IMMEDIATELY after my Lyft ride. There is no other time I have recently used my PayPal. Pretty damn shady!

Original review: June 19, 2019

Lyft sent me a promo that I would receive 50% off my next ride, if used before 6/18/19. I used the app and requested a ride on 6/17/19. When I requested the discount, I was notified that my old account was credited and therefore could not be honored. That they would give me a $10 credit. Everyone knows the app and ride is linked to a specific phone #. So, why would they apply the discount to a number no longer in service. All BS! I went back and forward to no avail. I’m addition, I could not talk to anyone on the phone. All email messages. Not very professional! False Advertising.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Do yourself a favor and call UBER or a REPUTABLE taxi service. As a CNA, my client, who is 90+ and her husband of 64 years, whom had been deceased less than 8 hours prior, needed to catch a flight from Atlanta to New Jersey. The funeral was being held in NJ. I used my APP... as an elderly distraught widow did not have the means to figure out, to book a ride to the airport. I selected the ride from Canton GA to the airport. The window opened to enter her credit card number, expiration date, and CVW number to charge the ride to. The charge was later charged to my account and debited from my checking account! Had I intended to charge my card why did I take the time to enter all of my clients personal financial information? This smacks of credit card FRAUD.

I have deleted my account after 10 plus futile attempts to correct the charges. I was told that IS NOT POSSIBLE TO REVERSE CHARGES! I have also ordered a new credit card with a new number. The point is... if they are going to use the “default card” on file, WHY?! When I booked the ride did they require full entry of credit card information? This is so very disrespectful to the American elderly and their deceased loved one of over 64 years. So... they stick it to the $12 an hour caretaker for offering their client assistance. If you like to talk to a person on the phone this is NOT the company to do business with. There are only emails available to seek resolution. And don’t waste time doing that because it is FUTILE! Absolutely the WORST company in customer service!

Original review: June 12, 2019

Have used Lyft several times with no problem until yesterday. I was charged $11.85, AND then was charged $19.46, and then my bank called about a $300 charge from Lyft and we told them to deny it! We then tried to find a phone # to tell them what they did, only to find we had to pay another $20-$45 to chat about our *issue*. NOT a happy camper! No idea how to get our $ back!!!

Original review: June 9, 2019

The driver of Buick Encore ** arrived to pick me up but refused to let me ride with my service dog. Lyft customer service basically gave him a slap on the hand and told him not to do it again, but their account. What did I get? Nothing. An apology doesn’t make up for the terrible and insulting experience plus having to wait at the airport for another ride after traveling for 9 hrs. I should have called the police and filed a complaint with them. Not impressed.

Original review: June 6, 2019

My Lyft driver's car smelled like clean blankets fresh out of the dryer and I kinda wanted to lay down and take a nap while he drove me to my destination. He was punctual, very professionally dressed, and most importantly - I felt safe. Thank you, Nestor!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I called for Lyft a couple months ago. The guy who picked me up had me sit in the front seat which I thought was weird and uncomfortable for me. He saw that I am fit. I'm a bodybuilder. He said it "turned him on" and kept talking about it the whole trip. When we got to my apartment I had him drop me off at the office so he didn't see where my apartment was. I complained to Lyft and they did NOTHING about it. They offered me a crummy $5 coupon. I will NEVER use Lyft again! Shame on you!

Original review: June 4, 2019

I was picked up at a usual pick up/drop off location with my boyfriend. The driver drove very fast and very erratically and caused me to be sick in the vehicle. I was then charged $100 for it. Ride history clearly shows the driver took 5 minutes less than any previous ride taken to same destination. When he was told that I was going to vomit, he made a rude comment about charging me 250 and passed a bag back but was too slow... He then drove even more erratically and very definitely expressed his anger. Now Lyft says that they see that his driving was unsafe but will not reverse the $100 charged to my acct. Fair??

Original review: June 2, 2019

Lyft Help is not trustworthy. I am a driver and I think drivers and riders share similar problems. For instance Lyft Help takes days to response. If someone vomits in my car Lyft does not charge the rider anymore. At least that is what Lyft Help tells me. Lyft switches my rides in the middle of traffic and one time I had a request drove 8 miles and the customer was not there because Lyft changed the driver but did not inform me. I told Lyft they should pay me for their mistake and it was lost time and gas. Lyft Help center is complete garbage now and I hope that drivers and consumers start complaining and speaking out because obviously they have started in recent months not to care about its drivers or clients.

I work for them Because I am disabled and it is the only job that has been good for me for my needs but I am constantly looking elsewhere so if I find something better for me I will move on. I am a seasoned driver with over 10,000 going on 15,000 and I have seen how the Lyft Help center has changed. I have butted heads ith them. I have asked Lyft help to call Me to dispute an issue. Not one time have they ever reached out to Me by phone when I requested so many times. I am disappointed and it is time they get called out and the CEO to take charge of his company.

Original review: June 1, 2019

This wasn’t the first time that I had a totally unpleasant service with Lyft. They basically take advantage of their customers. This time the driver was deceitful, dishonest and manipulative. When I got in the cab I informed him that I have to be at Georgetown Hospital by 9:00 am — we had already more than 40 minutes time And I was only 20 minutes away from the Hospital — I asked him if he thinks there would be any chance we won’t get there by 8:55 as we were supposed to, he should let me get off. I was concerned because I had previous experience arriving at my appointment in an embassy 37 minutes late, only because of Lyft greedy approach to put passengers who are going to completely opposite directions in one car.

First, the driver refused to tell me where he is going to pick up the next passenger. Second, he hid that there is even a third passenger. In any case, when I saw he is going to an opposition direction, I asked him to stop the car in front of Suite Embassy Hotel so that I get off and get another cab. He refused to do so. He picked up the second passenger, for whom we waited few minutes to get to the car, then we move even farther away to Connecticut Avenue.

Meanwhile, he was nasty, insulting and obnoxious. He kept repeating: “Never take a share rides, because you never know what would happen.” I answered: "You never know what might happen under any condition, even if you fly." But this wasn’t good enough for him, he kept repeating his statement in a nasty and annoying way. Finally after making sure that I am far away from my destination, he let me getting off the car. I was lucky enough to get a passing cab right at that very moment, which happened to be a kind and honorable human being, contrary to the first one. I will never work with Lyft anymore!

Original review: May 30, 2019

So we booked a ride back to our company after landing from a Delta flight. Delta has a massive terminal at Detroit. The Lyft driver had no idea where she had to go to pick rides up. She said she was in the parking garage first, then the waiting area. After 20 minutes of waiting we cancelled and got a Uber ride.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I had a friend that drove for them. Their car got puked in. Lyft charge the puker 250 dollars thought my friend and only offered him $100 when he submitted a legal $250 clean up document bill. I took a ride in a Lyft car. Dirty. Stinks. Drivers look like they're on drugs and alcohol.

Original review: May 29, 2019

DO NOT USE THIS APP. Fraud has happened to me using this app and I lost almost $100 in rides I DID NOT TAKE. I live In Vermont where we don’t have Lyft so me using it isn’t even in the cards. They have no phone number. No customer service and hell they are stealing money too. Good gob Lyft. Hope you get sued.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I paid $9.99 for a RidePass from Lyft that promised me $5 off each ride for up to 10 rides within 30 days. On one of my rides the driver was a no-show. Lyft charged me $6 saying that I was a no-show, and then after acknowledging that the driver was a no-show, they issued me a $6 credit (not a refund). The next time I took a ride Lyft did not apply the $5 RidePass credit. They instead applied the $6 credit from the no-show driver event, and said they could not also apply the $5 RidePass credit (that I paid for). I wrote to their support channel multiple times to try to resolve the issue.

How this should have gone, given I purchased a RidePass:

1. I called for a Lyft.
2. The driver did not show up.
3. Lyft wrongly charged me $6 for a no-show fee.
4. When I told Lyft that my driver never showed I either (a) got a refund for the $6 charge or (b) got a $6 credit to my account.

5. Given I (b) had been given a $6 credit for the no-show event, when I took my next ride for $17.82, my ride would have cost $17.82 minus $6 credit for Lyft's no-show mistake, minus $5 credit for my purchased RidePass, resulting in a charge of $6.82

What happened: 5. given I (b) had been given a $6 credit for the no-show event, when I took my next ride for $17.82, my ride would cost $17.82 minus $6 credit for Lyft's no-show mistake, resulting in a charge of $11.82; the $5 credit for my purchased RidePass was not honored. It is worth investigating if Lyft's no-show driver "mistakes" are engineered to avoid their honoring discount promotions.

Resolution response: May 28, 2019

I believe I was to quick to come into conclusions. The Specific time for Lift to fix the problem was not up yet when I wrote the bad review. A few hours later, I checked my account and the charges were credited on this week payroll, like it has to be. I apologize because I interpreted the fixing time frame wrong. Everything is ok now.

Thank you!

Original review: May 28, 2019

Lift is stealing driver's money. Cancellation fees are a nightmare for drivers to collect. Lift always try to avoid paying the $5 even if the drivers waited, called and went beyond for passengers. Lift made last minute rules and lie about drivers actions. Like, not waiting enough time or even that the location you were waiting was not the correct one. But, the real problem is when you actually after spending a lot of time on text messages and emails trying to get the money, they say that in 5 business days you will get it. The customers were charged right away and make drivers wait for it.

And even worse, Lift surprisingly adds the cancellation fees to the daily earning reports (It adds on that screen) but when you go to the payment screen to get the earning details, it does not show. Shame, straight forward cheating, stealing. I spend every week about 1 hr to 2 hrs going to all the bonuses and earnings from that week because is always something with them. It is like a company policy. There is not accountability.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Scheduled a ride from Lyft. Got this Rafael, needed to pick up someone at the airport and then go to the car rental. He wouldn’t wait till my friend came out. He threw my luggage out of the car and told me to get out. Complained to Lyft. Have done nothing about it. Get another driver if they send him. Rude, arrogant and can’t understand a word he says.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I used to LOVE Lyft, I rode daily making numerous trips back and forth daily. However, this year I choose Uber over them. It used to be Uber that was the more pricey app but Lyft is ridiculous. Even for a shared ride you're no longer saving much. You see different price ranges within seconds in the app, sketchy drivers using different vehicles from the app, some just plain weird, always flirting and trying to get your number etc. One time a $30 fee was automatically taken from my account without asking me if the driver was telling the truth or not because I apparently spilled something on his seat.

When they showed me the pictures it was clear like water but mind you this was days after my ride and I explained to them that I did not spill anything but they still charged me anyway and would not refund me, the customer apparently is not always right. Honestly I feel like if you took a shared ride and it was one price that shared ride coming back should be the same price. I have that issue with Uber as well. I knew just like all companies, it's all good in the beginning but then they get money hungry and things go downhill. These used to be apps helping people who could not afford pricey cabs but now they are beginning to give you just about the same prices as cabs. I see more people going back to buses and cabs unfortunately.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Driving for Lyft is a total nightmare. They offer absolutely no driver support. You cannot get them on the phone at all, they are app based only. If you submit a support ticket they do not bother to respond. Instead someone from Zendesk, an independent third party customer service company emails a generic response which is just a paste or link to Lyft's website that is not helpful at all. And don't get me started on the Express Drive program. I regret everything about my experience with Lyft and I will never even ride with them as a passenger ever again. I'm team Uber all the way now. I am completely damaged and traumatized by my experience driving for Lyft. I literally cannot help crying at the very thought.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I was a LYFT driver for a little over 1 year logging about 7000 rides and had a 5 star rating. On May 15 I received an email from LYFT saying my driver account was put on hold while I was being investigated for an "alleged" violation of community rules. I know for a fact I did not violate any community rules. After going back and forth with LYFT, I continually asked them what the "alleged" violation was and they refused to tell me only that it was being investigated.

I emailed daily and went to the LYFT hub several times only to get no answer. I asked how could an investigation be done without talking to me about it. I asked several time to have someone in management call me to discuss. Never got a call. Today, May 21, I received an email from LYFT telling my I have been deactivated from the platform for "alleged" violation of community rules. They still refuse to tell me what community rule was "allegedly" violated. They really don't care about the drivers that make them $$. LYFT became police. Judge and jury.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I was quoted a price by Lyft in the amount if $22.18. When I clicked to accept it, the price jumped to $25.86. Lyft did charge me $25.86. After at least 5 emails to Lyft, they would not credit me. Could never speak with anyone at Lyft. Very difficult to contact Lyft via email but finally succeeded. No satisfactory response at all by Lyft. I asked Lyft to explain how and why the charge escalated. Lyft never responded. Makes me wonder if this is happening to several other Lyft customers who may or may not realize it.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Received a promo from Lyft for 50% off for 10 weekday rides. Lyft did not honored the promo and claimed a new account was created when I complained to the BBB. Lyft is not a good company to do business with. False advertisement, Bait and Switch promos. Ride with another car service company instead!

Original review: May 18, 2019

I just got off the phone with Lyft. I got a ride from the airport to my house last night which cost $25. After the driver missed my exit, then on the next exit went the wrong way on the one-way ramp, executing a u-turn after I told him he was going the wrong way, got pulled over by a cop for said u-turn, I got nothing in terms of a refund but got home in twice the amount of time. Lyft isn't allowed to give refunds or credits. With that kind of customer service, I will choose Uber.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I'm from the Philippines on a holiday with my family in the US. Last May 3, 2019 I took a Lyft ride from DT San Francisco to SFO- arrived there at around noon. Forgot my bag in the car so I contacted Lyft through their app to inform the driver that I left a something in his car. The driver, Ibrahim, was able to contact me through text and requested him to return the bag. He made some excuse that he was already downtown and it was difficult for him to go back to SFO due to traffic, and unless I pay him $35 he will not return it. The rate at that time from DT to SFO is around $24 and I already knew he was taking advantage of my situation, but the items inside the bag means a lot to my son so I agreed. He arrived in SFO in 30 mins (what traffic?) and paid him as agreed.

I am willing to let this pass until Lyft sent me an email saying I will be charged with $15 because their driver came back to return my item. I replied that I already paid their driver for his return so this is not fair. To prove my point, I sent them a screenshot of the text messages between me and the driver which did not carry any weight for them. After a back-and-forth exchange of emails Lyft was already giving me the insincere ** template reply.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Lyft giving me different prices on same route and mileage!!! Just because I live in good area!!! If I go to Michigan City, IN from where I live it's only $22.91 but when I wanna go back home from the same spot where I got dropped off it's ** $42.52 - explain this??? Why I get charged extra $20.00 for the same mileage???

Lyft expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.

• Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.

• Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.

• Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.

• Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.

• Best for: Lyft is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in metro areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs