3.37/5

530 Lyft Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 24, 2019

Lyft have always helped me every time I asked the driver for a favor. They will go above and beyond. For instance, I am able to schedule more than one location on the app, the day before, and when I asked for more stops they have always billed it for me. But I'll always try to buy them snacks or drinks for the favor. They are always so friendly and helpful! Uber driver didn't care about where he was kicking me to the curb, didn't care that I didn't know how to use their app, didn't care that I lived. I'm glad I scheduled to drop off my daughter at school first, so she wasn't there to witness her scared mom with no ride home.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have found Lyft to be convenient, fairly priced, and prompt. The drivers have made me feel safe, and are sometimes fun to converse with. The cars have been clean. I have used Lyft on vacation in San Francisco and in Portland when the car was being repaired or when going out alone at night. So nice not to have to walk in the dark to the parking garage but instead have Lyft waiting in front for me.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Rideshare saves me only about $1.00 or less. Point to point is never same price. Maybe uses algorithm supply and demand? About 1/3 cost station cabs which surcharges $2.50 more for credit card. I did not take advantage up to $20 credit new customer and was not retro. I fractured shoulder and cannot drive since Dec 27. I may take subscription for 1 month yet as it is daily rate sometimes 3 cars daily with Dr and PT and visiting my sister in subacute. Satisfied. Most my rideshares only me but longer roundabout trip.

Original review: March 11, 2019

My daughter was a heavy Lyft user (she's a non-driver), so last year when I was unable to drive due to surgery, I gave it a try. I happen to live in a well-served suburban area so I never had to wait more than a few minutes, and the cars were always very clean. It worked out quite well for me. It got pricey the time or two I took a longer trip. When visiting New York in the middle of it, I met up with friends who were so ingrained in using such services that they talked about "catching an Uber uptown"... as several yellow cabs sailed right past us.

Original review: March 9, 2019

There must be a much better way to contact LYFT with a problem instead of pouring through layers on the app to make contact. Other than that I love that there are so many available drivers and that we have the option to share, thus reducing costs. So far, all drivers have been just fine and I only had to wait once for a longer time than usual on Christmas Day 2017 because of snow. I love that the average wait time is six minutes or so.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I ordered a Lyft ride. The app told me to expect my driver in 3 minutes. I waited about 7 minutes and checked my phone to see if his car was enroute and it was sitting in the same place it was in when I ordered the ride. I called the driver to see what the delay was. He told me that he was finishing some shopping in the mall and if I didn't want to wait for him to finish shopping I should cancel my trip and get another ride. Cancelling the trip would have cost me so I waited. After 15 minutes of waiting he arrived. I called Lyft customer service to share my horrible experience.

They said the only thing they would do is make sure I would never have him as a driver again. Anyone that uses Lyft knows you never get the same driver so that had no meaning to me. I asked if they would refund my fair or at least credit my lyft account something for future ride. They refused and said they had no plans to do anything about my inconvenience. I'm now an exclusive Uber customer. Lyft clearly doesn't value its customers or take accountability for bad experiences. Beware...

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Every day that I wake up I check my account and I see new charges on top of the charges the previous day already charging my account before I even request a ride which means that they are putting a hold on my account, my own personal phones. I contacted Lyft by filing a complaint and they never contacted me back yesterday or the day after after I noticed my bank account missing money. I was told that they have a temporary authorization holds on my account. Basically I pay for a ride and get an additional five dollars up to $10 hold on my account. They said it could take up to 5 to 7 days to take the hold off which means I have to stop riding Lyft to work because they’re taking additional money out of my account. There’s nobody else besides email to speak to. I am very unhappy being that my Personal funds in account are being tampered with.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Lyft had advertisement that give 36 rides and make 250. I did my 36 rides. Now they don’t want to pay my money. That have a person driving and don’t want to pay them for the time a person gives all them rides. They have complaints about this issue. I contacted a attorney about this issue.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

This may be partially my fault, but I am a pretty detailed person and if I missed this, I know others will also. If you get into an accident while driving for Lyft, you are responsible for a $2,500 deductible. I unfortunately did get into an accident and found out the hard way that my personal insurance would not cover the damages since I was driving for a rideshare company. They told me not to worry, Lyft has insurance for this. That’s when I found out I had to pay a $2,500 deductible. I think most people who drive for Lyft probably don’t have $2,500 just laying around. So I had to scrounge up this money while not having a vehicle since it was being repaired for several weeks.

They don’t offer you a rental car either. I don’t blame Lyft or their insurance company for this policy, but I blame them for not being super transparent about it. The sign up process makes it appear that if you have insurance, you’re good to go! That is not the case. Driving for Lyft was good while it lasted, but getting into this ordeal basically ruined my finances for over a year.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I will say, the actual driver I had was efficient, considerate, and nice. Good Driver. The way the process (company) works itself has a lot to be desired. I requested a pick up time, then received notifications re: multiple drivers are on the way NOW, which was earlier than the time I requested to be picked up from work, to get a ride to my mechanic to pick up my car. I could not just leave work stating my Lyft is here, so I cancelled and was charged the cancellation fee. THEN at the actual time I requested, received a call re: your driver is here? Of course, I still needed the ride, so I took it. When I disputed the cancellation charge, I received a message: OOPS! Something did go wrong, here’s a $10 credit, like I’m gonna depend on them again… I doubt it.

Lyft expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.

• Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.

• Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.

• Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.

• Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.

• Best for: Lyft is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in metro areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs