2.02/5

447 Lyft Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 22, 2019

First, there is almost never a price estimate available before ordering, so I always use Uber. Second, I was a passenger in my friend’s Lyft and this company handled it very poorly. After feeling unsafe and dealing with extreme rudeness from the driver the entire ride, the driver ran over my foot and proceeded to drive away! Lyft’s response was basically that he would get a warning. I filed a hit and run with the police, which is pending.

My friend and I both contacted Lyft right after it happened, and I was told someone would be in touch with me. Well, it's been 5 days, so I'm guessing that they're trying not to report it to insurance. I had to go to urgent care, and this is not acceptable. Also, my friend is no longer able to access the messages that she sent to the company about this incident through the app. Another barrier to safety is that unlike Uber, you are not able to access the license plate number of the drivers. Hopefully my situation gets resolved soon, but needless to say- I am very unhappy with my experience with Lyft.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Lyft does not inform you or warn you about second stops and how much they really pay. If you take somebody to the store and they are inside the store for 20 minutes you are not getting paid to wait. For example, I took a lady to the store and she said she was going to run in and it will be really quick. She ended up spending 20 minutes in the store. The total for the ride in the end was $5.20. I did not get paid to wait. I started to notice this pattern after a few weeks of working with Lyft. When I started to explain to the customers with second stop since we don’t get paid to wait they get very angry and leave bad reviews for your rating or call you really bad names.

Also Lyft does not tell the customers about the second stop and how it affects the drivers if they spend a long time in the store or coffee shop during our second stop. This is probably why the customers get upset with the Lyft drivers because they don’t understand either. I don’t know about you but I do not like working for free. Only place I work for free is at my church. I think it is unfair that Lyft does not tell the customers or the drivers about the situation. It is very unfair to take advantage of people’s hard work in order to make a profit for yourself. Shame on you for taking advantage of people who need extra money to pay bills.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I'm a 74-year old male and I like the convenience. I am retired and only have one car, so the Lyft service works well for me in the communities I go to on the East side of Seattle. I have even used the service before 4AM!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I had scheduled rides to the airport on April 1st 2019 in the A.M. and after waiting for him at the scheduled time and place he never showed up. After calling him several times he finally answered and said he overslept; I drove to the airport to make our flight. On April 17th 2019 I was expecting the same driver, who said he would guarantee he would make the pick-up.

My wife was returning from a trip and was scheduled to be picked up from the airport in the P.M. She is handicapped and uses a walker and a wheelchair. At 11:11 pm I received a call from my wife that the driver was not there. It was storming outside and I starting calling the driver to find out if he was there at the airport. He finally answered stating that he'd fallen asleep after taking a ** and just woke up. He's not a small man and one ** should not have had the knockout effect on him. I drove to the airport in severe weather around 11:45 pm to get my wife and her staff member and bring them safely home.

Needless to say I am quite disturbed after giving this driver a second chance to reconcile his first mishap. I had used this same driver for several years but not anymore, My wife, who is a psychiatrist, noted that this driver's behavior may be more reflective of a deeper issue and that he should be administered a drug test. I will be looking for other alternatives for airport transportation. I am truly disappointed!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I reached out to the company numerous times, provided everything they asked because my debit card incurred charges that were not mine. They kept sending automated emails replies, and then on FB Messenger promised to handle the issue if I sent in another request but that request wasn't even responded to. It has been 10 days. I have 40 bucks taken and it is consider a null thing to them. They stated they like to give direct refunds when possible. I would love to see their reasoning as to why.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

Original review: April 13, 2019

We booked our ride in advance to take us to the airport at 3 am. The driver was supposed to pick up us between 3 am to 3:15 am. The driver finally showed up around 3:30 am. When he showed up, he would not pull up to our house but sat down the road about 40 feet. We were all waving our hands at the end of our driveway so he would pull up to us. He did not move so I grabbed my luggage to walk to his car. As I walked up, he pulled ahead and drove past me plus my family. He did not stop. We did not know what he was doing so we waited to see if he was turning around. He did not come back.

I watched him on the app and he continued on his route to the airport. I should mention I contacted him several times including before he arrived to our house and also after he drove by us. Given we no longer had a ride to the airport, we had to scramble to our car and get to the airport. I continued to watch the driver on the app and he went to the airport as he said he picked us up. We were then charged for our ride! I contacted Lyft and told them about the experience we had and we barely made our flight by 15 minutes. They said they would be happy to credit my fare for the Lyft ride! I could not believe it. The whole fiasco cost me an additional $120 because this driver was irresponsible and Lyft took no responsibility for it.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Don't drive for this company! I just quit driving for them after 4 months. At first, I was enjoying driving as I'm unemployed. I also use to be a chauffeur so I know how customers want to be treated. I provided bottled water. I provided 3 different cell phone chargers. I received 5 stars on 99% of my rides. Spent money on detailing my car. Made sure my car smelled extremely clean at all times. Helped customers in and out of my car. I went above and beyond for every person. I put on over 40000 miles in 4 months. Spent over $3000 in vehicle maintenance.

I was promised I was going to be reviewed for bonuses and incentives when they had phone contact. NEVER HAPPENED! Now that the gas prices skyrocketed here in California, I am now paying to drive with no profit. I reached out to them again now that they went public, they removed their phone service. They solely rely on emails only. They pick what emails they respond to. I really enjoyed driving for them as they gave me good rides but it cost me too much money and I was putting too many miles on my car and they don't appreciate the drivers who are good for them. I had repeat customers who loved my service compared to other drivers. While they make millions, the drivers struggle to make a dime.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Lyft has drivers that will pick you up with the vehicle smelling straight like **. They speed and drive crazy, running thru red lights just to get to nowhere. A lot of these vehicles are in bad condition, with dents, some cars are filthy and nasty on the inside and outside. They will pull-off on you too. Anytime you can get your funds back, please do.

Original review: April 9, 2019

The driver did not even get out of the car when he pulled up while I was standing there with my suitcase. I had to open his trunk to put my own suitcase in the car. If you check my fingerprints are on his trunk latch. Now he’s trying to charge me for damage! My gut says he’s a racist ** and didn’t want to pick me up in the first place. He’s claiming damage to his car that I don’t believe happened and now you guys think you have the right to just charge my card $100 by just taking his word and not the considering the gravity of the entire situation. When I put my own suitcase into his car one of the rubber wheels scrapped the trunk area it did not do the damage that he claims. I saw a black skid mark. Not a dent as he claims. When I got in the car he called me a dumb ** under his breath. I let it go because I was short on time in LA traffic. I will be disputing this charge my attorney. What a headache.

Original review: April 9, 2019

DO NOT DRIVE FOR LYFT: This year on St. Patty’s Day, I tried to drive for Lyft because I’m in-between jobs & could’ve used the money. I had a trip come through to take a man to the Biltmore House (in Asheville, NC) who was working there in a temp position that day. This was the 2nd day I’d driven for Lyft. The 1st was the day before. A professional, someone who downloads the apps all the time, downloaded & set-up the app for me because we were in a hurry & he knew how to do it better than I. The 1st day driving, I had thought it odd that there was no easy way to end a ride anywhere visible in the app while on a ride, but had looked & looked & couldn’t find the option. So, I looked it up online, & it said things like end the ride but didn’t tell how.

When the rider put in the address for the Biltmore House, which has a huge network of roads, he chose probably the 1st address that popped-up online when he looked-up the House, which I didn’t notice until it was time to drop him off, & we were neck-deep in Biltmore’s HUGE road system. Then I saw that I wasn’t at the address he’d chosen, but he had to go to work, so I said, “I didn’t see how to end the ride, but I’d fix it with Lyft, don’t worry about it.” I spent 20 min. at that spot at Biltmore w/ flaggers coming up to me wondering why I was hanging out. I told them - trying to contact Lyft via e-mail, frantically searching for a phone # for drivers to contact a customer service line - anything, looking up info on the All-You-Need-to-Know-about-Driving-for-Lyft page, etc., Google searches… I couldn’t get in touch w/ Lyft to save my life, so I just started driving back out of Biltmore, not having any idea how I’d end the ride!

I spent 1 hr. driving around AFTER dropping the passenger off! It was ridiculous. I lost that time, left him a message saying could he change the address on his end, which he didn’t get in-time. He ended-up being over-charged by $13. I was very stressed because I’d promised him I’d take care of it, & the whole day passed & Lyft never got back w/ me. Then, somehow, the customer called my phone - through Lyft - when there was no DRIVER CS # available for me to do the same thing - at 7 something that night, after I’d stopped driving & was trying to get the whole horrid affair out of my head, because after talking to 2 regular Lyft drivers, one said, “Good luck getting Lyft” & the other said Lyft was terrible on driver support.

Later that day, I had had reason to turn off my phone & back on because the app was stuck in a different issue, & when I did, lo-and-behold, the app came back on w/ a big pink bar at the bottom that always gave the option for dropping off a passenger!! I had no way to know that my app just wasn’t working properly until that moment. And, I still couldn’t get Lyft any other way than e-mail! Which I was not hearing back from. The passenger got me again via text - through Lyft - at 3 in the morning, which I could not respond to! But, he was consistently able to get me through Lyft! This was **! THIS COMPANY IS **. DO NOT DRIVE FOR LYFT! They’re unconcerned money-making ** who don’t give a damn what their drivers suffer through.

In the end - the next day - Lyft gets back to me & says the passenger was refunded & I’m being charged through the app for the difference as a negative charge. They take no responsibility for not providing adequate service to troubleshoot such issues in the moment & then they’re going to make it affect my pay as well - IF I were to drive for them again, which I will not! I can’t say enough negative facts about these piss-poor business people, and I use the word “people” generously in this instance.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Last night I went out to get some drinks. After a long night I got a Lyft home. I left my phone in his car and had to wait until morning to do anything about it. Finally I wake up and start to contact Lyft help and they contacted him and he said that he didn’t have it. Fast forward a few hours. I finally decide to track my phone and put a lost lock on it. I see that it’s been driven around and quickly realize the Lyft did have it. After I put the lock on it about a hour goes by and we get a call from the driver saying that the men washing his car found it and took it. At the point I smell something fishy, things aren’t adding up. He said it looked like it had been charged (suspicious how he knew what it was at before).

My boyfriend and I go to get my phone from him and I notice that my messages, phone calls, photos, apps had all been tampered with. Thankfully he didn’t fully delete all my photos and left one important one. It was one of him in the bathroom (8:42am) with his pants and underwear down on the toilet having his fun with my phone. THIS was taken before my boyfriend and I contacted Lyft (9:45am) so this man had been playing with my phone until I finally locked him out and then decided it was time to play hero and give it back. I was still charged for the Lost and Found fee of $15 even though we kept them updated with the situation and told them that he did in fact have it the whole time and was using it regularly and we told them about the picture. STILL NO REPLY. I will never ever be taking Lyft again. If I could give a negative rating I would.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Charged go a ride I did not take. Unbelievable! No way other than email to contact. Someone accessed my account and I was charged. Lyft refuses to correct the issue and stopped responding to my requests for a phone number to contact them.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Becoming ever more common, and in a word, the drivers are lowlifes. Not a word of greeting on entering their car, "blasting" rap music and refusing to lower it, while his head is encased in an arctic type woolly tundra hat covering his ears. Asked him to pull over and let me out. Enduring aggravation that nobody deserves.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Needed to get to the train station to catch a train and had plenty of time to do so until the first driver who came to pick me up, let me get in his car and load my luggage, then decided he was "too tired and had just came from that area" so he couldn't take me to where I needed to go. So I had to call another driver and, due to the delay the first driver put me through, I missed my train. Ended up waiting for over 3 hours for the next one! Needless to say I am not too happy with this service. The second driver who picked me up, though very quiet, was just fine and apologetic for everything that happened but if someone accepts someone as a rider and knows where they need to go in advance then they should come through for you and not be a flake. I will probably NEVER use this service again.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Car troubles. First time using Lyft. Used twice in one day. Drivers were courteous, cars were clean. On the afternoon ride to get my car from the shop I left a $5 umbrella in the Lyft drivers car. I didnt realize it until he shows up at the auto shop to return it. I thought that was nice until I got an email about the $15 return fee. I didn’t know I’d left it and he could have called me and asked if I wanted him to return a cheap umbrella for $15 fee. I think he just saw it as easy money. I had tipped him $5 on the $8 trip so I didn’t stiff him. I complained to Lyft but they arent budging. After reading some of these other complaints here I have deleted the app and will go back to regulated taxis.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I was getting groceries because I was having car issues. I tried to save money by walking to the grocery store and taking a Lyft back. While getting groceries, the cart rolled into her van. It gently touched it with the black bumper part. I checked and there was no damage. She is now claiming 24 hours later that I owe her 300 dollars!!!! I won't pay it and Lyft is horrible for allowing her to steal 300 dollars out of my account! Don't use Lyft, horrible customer service and drivers who are liars!

Original review: April 3, 2019

Once you become a Lyft driver you are on your own. It is incredibly difficult and often impossible to contact Lyft about any problems that you have. Their website is very specific about situations and if you go outside of that situation they ignore you. In addition if you incur expenses and returning items to drivers because they’re too far away for you to drive to them they do not pay you although they claim they will. Any communications that you have with any representative if you are able to get in touch with one are incredibly convoluted And non-productive. Terrible company to work for. They care nothing I repeat nothing about their drivers other than meat.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I was recently charged $299.00 for a subscription with Lyft that I never actively applied for upon seeing that such a large sum of money was taken out of my account. I reached out to Lyft multiple times, I was told because I prematurely canceled a subscription that I never wanted nor actively applied for (you have to go through a lot of steps to get this subscription, that is how I know without a doubt that I didn't apply for that b.s). I was told that there was no way for them to backtrack. I called and sent multiple emails & they said that my request is under investigation. Lyft is the worst, they have changed so much & the customer service is ** poor. I have been a member for over 2 years and even highly recommend the service at one point. Once this situation is resolved I will never use their service again.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Took a Lyft to a concert. We paid $16.00 for a ten minute ride. The concert was over approx 12:30 am. We called Lyft for a ride back home. We was shocked that it would cost $72.00 for a ten minute ride back home. There were others waiting for a Lyft and some was complaining about being charged over $100. for a short ride. I thank God we was able to have someone come to get us or we would have been left stranded because we didn’t have that much money, and didn’t think we would need that much to go back to where we came from at a much lower cost. That was sheisty for them to raise the price so ridiculously high because they knew people was depending on them for a ride and some had no choice but to pay. Don’t think they will be in business very long. Very Grimy... would rate them a (--0 )if it was possible.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Hyundai called Lyft March 25, 2019 to take me home while car was serviced! I went to get in front driver ** grey Toyota Corolla ** phone ** was nasty. Said NO! I told him I sometimes get dizzy in back! He said get in back. I did, then he said get out of my car!!! I said why? He claimed I slammed his door which I did not and said he called me another driver which he did NOT! I will never use Lyft ever or tell anyone to use it! I always would recommend Lyft to my friends! NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: March 31, 2019

About 3 weeks ago I called for a Lyft for work and they was trying out locate a driver, no driver was found in my location and was charge on my card. No credited amount I was charged has not been put back on my card. We have been going through this over email contact saying check with my bank!! I talked with my bank. Nothing is showing posted for Lyft period...

Original review: March 30, 2019

I was the second passenger in the Lyft vehicle, driven by Ortelio, approximately 3 weeks ago. I left a pair of prescription glasses in a case on the front seat console. I used the Lyft app on my friend's phone (he had ordered the Lyft) to notify Lyft of the situation (as per the instructions on the app). In the notification, I also gave them my phone and email as the "best contact info." They continued to respond to my friend's phone and email.

On the day of the trip, within a couple of hours of being notified, Lyft notified me, on my friend's phone, that Ortelio had found the glasses and would get back to me so that we could arrange a meeting to return the glasses. Days went by with no contact from anyone. At one point Lyft told me that the driver had tried to call me (they didn't identify which phone) and the driver Ortelio, was told it was a wrong number, Neither my friend or I received any of those calls. I re-checked the texts and verified that I had entered the correct phone numbers. I sent another text to Lyft and they reminded me that they were not responsible and the drivers are independent contractors, however, they would do what they could.

After two weeks and several notifications, Lyft finally started to communicate with me on my phone. One week ago they told me that they had provided the driver with a prepaid FedEx to ship the glasses back to me because he could not deliver them to me. As of today, at least 8 days after receiving the label, Ortelio (the driver) has not shipped the glasses according to the FedEx tracking number. I don't believe Lyft has exerted enough influence on the driver, Ortelio. I know the driver, Ortelio..who also drives for Uber... has not made any effort to return the $400 prescription glasses. Lyft's customer service, which can only be reached by the app, email or text (not in person on the phone) is totally ineffective. The driver, Ortelio, at the best has lied about his actions. Stay away from the company, LYFT, and the driver, Ortelio.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Had a terrible time locating our driver. He wouldn't answer his phone. I was charged a ridiculous amount. I argued with them about the bogus overcharge. They credited part of it back to on my Lyft acct and I've never used Lyft and won't again. My credit expires early April which is also BS. So you might as well say I didn't get a credit because they refuse to credit it back to my bank acct. Take Uber from now on.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Sometimes their price increase during peak hours is less than Uber, which is why they have become my go to. Uber really jacks things up. I've only had 1 Lyft driver that I wasn't really hip on. Their driving and unfriendliness was a turn off, but 99% of them have been great.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Every time I have used Lyft they arrive shortly and I have gotten to my destination without any problems. I like the fact they pay their drivers more money than Uber. This contributes to better quality drivers to me.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Better than Uber when it comes to customer service, and the drivers are much more friendly than the competition. I also like that they have unique devices inside the vehicle which greet you by your name.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Today while my cell phone was in my pocket, my phone opened Lyft and apparently requested a ride without my knowing it. When I found this out a few minutes later and tried to cancel the ride, Lyft wouldn't let me and only would let me call the driver. He told me they wouldn't let him cancel the ride either. Finally after looking I found out how to try to cancel the ride on Lyft, but they charged me a $5 cancel fee anyway. I will now have to work with my credit card company to get Lyft to credit me the $5, but Lyft should: 1. Make it much easier to cancel a ride on the app. 2. Consider asking for a positive verification (which cannot be given by a cell phone acting by itself) from a consumer of requesting a ride. 3. Allow a consumer to file a request for credit much more easily. Otherwise I will have to only use Uber.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I’ve never really had a problem with Lyft, the app or Lyft drivers. When I did experience a charge that I didn’t think I deserved, they removed it quickly. They appear to be slightly higher than UBER but not enough to deter me from using them.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Lyft charged me $30 for a ride I did not take. I emailed them and they said the ride was taken by someone named Rushmin, whom they claimed I know. I told them five times that I do not know any Rushmins. They repeatedly told me that I did and refused to refund me. They have not offered a phone number to call. Do NOT use Lyft until they figure out what customer service is.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Be careful drivers for cancellation fees.. They take it back after they posted... And another rider damaged my seats and they didn’t do anything to me. And also I got in an accident and they don’t respond and they give you voice mail number so will never catch up the line. I just deleted the app and left them..

Lyft expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.

• Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.

• Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.

• Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.

• Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.

• Best for: Lyft is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in metro areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs