2.03/5

261 Lyft Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Despite that Lyft says, I was unable to use Lyft with a valid debit card or through Google pay. Warning - Even if you delete your Lyft account, they will continue to share your personal information! "If you choose to terminate your account, we will deactivate it for you but may retain information from your account for a certain period of time and disclose it in a manner consistent with our practices under this Privacy Policy for accounts that are not closed."

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My daughter used my Lyft account and added her credit card. I tried to delete her card off the app the next day and it would not allow me. It made her card the primary card and told me I could not delete the only valid card on file. BUT I WAS NOT SCHEDULING A RIDE! I then searched how to delete my account and I was informed they will delete the account but save my information and if I ever logged in again the old information would be there.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My experience was horrible. Would drive around for hours at a time for 10 dollars. You waste more in gas. They will flood you with 2 and 3 dollar rides with the weirdest and cheapest people. Run. Maybe try Uber.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Lyft app pings where you're at. This is the second time this night that Lyft has ping me at the Waldorf on the Vegas Strip. I was never there. I got cancellation fees of $5 each. Why is this my fault when your app is messed up if you don't return my $10 cancellation fee for the two rides that you said that I missed. I will not use your service again and if you look at my receipts I would say that I'm very good customer with you. I use your service everyday sometimes three four times a day. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Do not use Lyft!!! I was quoted a price and I accepted that price. At the end of the ride, the price had doubled and I was charged double. This was due to the driver taking an indirect route. I am unable to find a way to lodge complaints with Lyft directly. I have used Taxis and Uber for years and never had a problem. This was my first use of Lyft and I will never use Lyft again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I was being discharged from the hospital and needed to call to get a ride home so I called Lyft and waited downstairs with the person that had to be with me for me to be discharged from the hospital. The guy never showed. He never replied to my text messages or my phone calls so I canceled. Upon canceling my credit card got charged $5 for canceling. I tried to dispute this with customer support. They told me I would get a refund back.

Few days past I noticed that I had a refund and $5 in my Lyft account. Why would I use Lyft again if it wasn't successful the first time around? Still trying to dispute the $5 charge to get it refunded back to my credit card. Yeah $5 doesn't seem like a lot but the point of the matter is the driver was carelessness. Did not respond by to my text messages and my phone calls to find out where he was when I made my call to locate him at the hospital entrance. As of yet customer support has yet to refund my money. Would never use Lyft again. Poor customer service and apparently the drivers just don't care.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I started driving for Lyft on August 27th 2018. I rented a car via Lyft from Hertz and paid a required $250.00 credit card deposit. My first week I have 38 rides, but after paying almost $280.00 for my rental car plus taxes, I only netted $70.00 for the week. My 2nd week, I have 42 rides and still don't know how much I took home. On the 14th day of driving a rental car, I was in Scottsdale trying to buy a car, when I became very ill. Unable to continue with the purchase of a car, I drove to the nearest hospital ER. There were no parking spaces and I was feeling very faint, so I pulled up in front of the ER entrance and made my way inside. I told every staff member that my car was illegally parked and needed to be moved. Although the lobby was full of people, the Triage nurse called for a wheelchair and immediately had me taken to an ER room.

I learned later, that she took my blood pressure, which was at 50 over and considered life-threatening. Still, I kept mentioning my car but was told "Don't worry, your car will be fine". Soon after that, I was admitted overnight for observation. The following afternoon, I was discharged and taken by wheelchair to the ER entrance, only to find that my rental car was gone. After learning what had happened, I took an Uber ride to Sky Harbor Airport, where my rental had been towed to the day before. After spending many hours in chat with Lyft's driver support the agent, (they don't identify who they are in chat) Told me that he had closed my rental and that I would be responsible for a $99.00 charge for towing, but would not be charged any additional rental fees.

After waiting two weeks and not seeing $151.00 credited to my bank account, I returned to the same thread in chat and after waiting several days, an agent responded that my $151.00 balance had been applied toward the days that Hertz had my rental at the airport. Today is 09/28/2018 and I have yet to have received any response from Lyft. This is my worst experience with any customer support in my 45 years as an adult. At this point, I consider Lyft to be a BIG scam and that they do not care about their employees, Drivers...

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I got a Lyft ride home and left my phone behind in the car. I reported the incident the day of. Customer support responded initially saying they will try to contact the driver and advised that I try to reach out to the driver myself. I left my alternate contact information with the driver so she could get in touch with me updating me on the status of my lost item. It was Saturday when I reported the incident. It's now Tuesday, 3 days later, and I haven't heard a word back since. Yesterday I reached out to customer support again via email and received no type of response back. Even if the item was stolen or cannot be found for whatever reason, I would like to know within a reasonable time, or at least be responded to when I inquire, about what's going on. I haven't had many other issues out of Lyft, but this situation really has me heated. HORRIBLE customer support.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

First, sorry for the delay. The incidents happened on the afternoon of 9/18. I called Lyft to get a ride to the 24th Street BART. I was at 1497 Church. The driver did not show up. I waited about ten minutes and called again and asked for another driver. The dispatcher sent me the same guy. She told me that the driver had charged me for being a no-show! This happened about 4 pm. I had already lost fifteen minutes and was late to my engagement. Details: I was standing in front of 1497, a Sushi place on Chuch Street. Way in front! I was a foot away from the streetcar tracks. Anyone looking could have seen me from a quarter of a mile away. My own eyes are fine. I never saw a black Toyota hybrid come anywhere near me. The driver's name was Sanjay. He was the no-show, not me. He ought to be fired. Short of that, I respectfully ask for a refund.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I had a horrible experience when visiting Nashville. Six friends and I needed a ride in vehicle to accommodate us and someone was supposed to be on their way according to the app. However, he never arrived. The map showed that he passed us up and drove straight to the destination spot. Then the app looked like I was getting charged. I tried to cancel but the app would not let me because it thought I was in the car! I tried desperately to get a hold of the driver and then, upon that failure, Lyft. Problem is: you can't reach anyone there. There is no phone support and I had to wait almost a week to get a response from the numerous online submissions I sent during this mess.

In a situation where you are entrusting a company's diligence in hiring drivers to drive individuals, groups and families, why is there no way to talk to anyone on the phone?! What if someone really needed their support? As often as their app fails, why is there no way to get technical support in a timely manner to deal with it so you're not stranded? To add insult to injury, there is no prompt online follow up?! I call that a business FAIL. In the midst of all this, their app would not allow me to cancel or get a new ride as it thought I was in the car! My friend requested a new driver through his account and that driver validated that this happens to people a LOT. I changed over to Lyft after the Uber shakeup, but I will be switching back now.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I tried to schedule a ride for "tomorrow afternoon" using Lyft's "call a driver" screen on my iPhone: I then needed to changed the time of my scheduled ride for "tomorrow" because the time I needed to be with the funeral family had been changed for me. Lyft says, "You can "reschedule" a particular ride..." But, try as I did more than once, I couldn't change it... just could not figure out their instructions. I ended up scheduling a second ride instead of getting the first ride's time changed! Then I couldn't cancel either ride. I could not find a way to contact them... they did not give me a choice to ask about my own problem, my problem did not fit their choices, you see. So I chose a subject at random off their list of helps and wrote my own problem up. And submitted it.

Today I did take a ride with one Driver as I happened to be ready, just got to the Funeral Viewing way too early. Now I find they also charged me for the two unused rides, the ones I could not change the time on or cancel, either. So, I wrote that up this afternoon on my computer after I got home and found my charges. I went to the help section online and rewrote up the whole affair again about the three rides, two of which I could not use. Because I could not figure out their directions. Then I had to verify screens that were tiny and too dark to prove I'm a human... and then, to complete the human test I had to listen to a scratchy recording of varying sentences to continue proving I'm me.

This broke the straw on my back, because, you see, I am deaf! So, what happened to my driver? I never did find the "Tip My Driver and Give Her A Rave" screen after her nice friendly ride. So she lost out as well. Now, tomorrow I need another "funeral" ride, and I'm calling UBER! Happy to give up my 25% "savings" with Lyft, and I'm not "scheduling" any rides ahead of time with either of them ever again! Also telling my Credit Card company not to pay them, either!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

The New $2500 Lyft Sign Up Bonus is a big lie. Is a propaganda technique to attracted you to drive and make money for Lyft Corporation. They make money not you, you making between $10-$12 per hour driving like crazy for Lyft. A taxi driver gets $2.75 per mile, you making $0.90 cents per mile the rest goes to Lyft... you are helping Lyft making getting rich and you have to put gas into your car and do all the repairs.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I requested a Lyft from LAX to Hollywood, 90028 (about 29 miles). I was quoted a rate of $47.00, once I got dropped off, I was charged $89.00. Try to contact Lyft, and to find out they don't have a consumer affairs department. Is a shame that the State of California allows such business practices. California is one the most regulated States in the Union; and still, our legislators don't have a clue how to regulate Uber or Lyft, and therefore, they allowed them to run wild and loose in the State, as long these companies fill their pockets and paid for the campaigns. I'm taking Lyft to a small claims court; not because of the $47.00, but because of principle. These companies operate on the simple concept of Bait and Switch.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Regretfully I chose to use Lyft instead of Uber, the industry leader because I like to help the underdog despite many horrible stories about Lyft. I was on a tight schedule and Lyft made it worse. The first driver, Abdul, canceled my ride as he approached the corner of my street, I watched him drive off as I received the cancellation notice. I requested a 2nd Lyft. I was tracking the driver and then noticed she made a U-turn going the opposite way. I called her and she rudely said she was following her GPS. I tried explaining it was wrong to no avail. Now I'm more than 30 minutes late thanks to inept Lyft employees. She said she was canceling the ride and I would be charged $5. SERIOUSLY Lyft??? I called Uber and got to my destination with no problem albeit late thanks to Lyft. Bye Lyft good luck surviving!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My phone was left in a Lyft with my driver Angela. I called it right away and Angela answered saying that she was giving another ride and would call me back. It has been over a week now and Angela has disappeared and Lyft is saying they can't help me and to just contact the police or something. It's their own employee and they take zero ownership of this! Absolutely ridiculous. Try taking a little responsibility Lyft.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

My incident was not as horrible as some of the people's complaint I have just read. But, I am glad I learned with a smaller amount than a larger amount. I scheduled a pick up, waited for Lyft and as we are standing outside waiting on Lyft I noticed driver cancelled and was charged $5. When I attempted to dispute the charge I was notified I did not qualify for a credit. It doesn't take but one time for it to happen to me, no matter the amount, to decide not to do it again. Back to Uber for me. I am just thankful it was only for $5 and not the amount others have lost.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I started driving for Lyft, all excited about trying new possibilities. First week of work I accepted mostly every request and I ended up driving far and picking up the riders, only to drop them up a couple of minutes down the road and getting paid 2 dollars and change. Gas tank would be empty soon and I wasn't getting anywhere. I would need a third job to cover my losses from driving for Lyft and I don't need that in my life! So the second week I decided to pick up passengers closer to me hoping that it would make more sense. Well I kept getting messages from Lyft and emails that I need to try and accept every single request and getting very low acceptance rating, and that started to become really annoying especially because all of those come from "no reply" email addresses and no one from Lyft actually cares to hear a word from me.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Ride with Linda Aug 31, 2018 Miami Beach, FL. - When driver told me she was not from Miami I told her I did not have exact address to the car dealer so I would explain how to get there. She agreed. In a matter of fact tone I told her maybe she wasn't aware but there was a new law in Miami that it against the law to drive while using phone. She replied, "I am ok because I'm using an app." and continue driving with one hand. I told her the best and fastest way to get there. When she made an unexpected turn I asked why. She replied because I have to go where the app tells me. I told her that would cause her to have to go around the place and lose time. I told her ok but asked to turn off the music. She said no. She would lower but not turn off. I asked her then if she could at least stop singing. That is when she told me to exit her vehicle. She told me she was not going to stay because she had other calls to respond.

I told her I would exit after I called the police and only left when received instructions for both of us to be there. A ride should be peaceful. Which wasn't. Usually drivers will ask if music is ok and if asked turn off music. If you offer to facilitate the way to final destination they appreciate. My ride wasn't peaceful with rap music and singing. It wasn't safe because a driver unfamiliar with area drives with one hand while looking at the phone. Also have no idea how at the end; there is a 5 star rating for my ride.

I am an elder woman and I had more reason to fear for the driver than an young woman with no manners or respect. I'm a customer after all. Lyft came back with the answer that the driver stated I made derogatory comments. I have requested and not received the comments she claimed I made or a refund. She only took me 1/2 way before she told me to get out of the car and then I had to hire another ride to go back home since I missed my appt altogether. Never heard that in order to ride with Lyft you need to deal with music, singing, unsafe driving and for sure a very rude person.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Used the app to schedule a pick up. I received a window of 6:50-7:10am. At 7:15am I realized no one was showing up although the app was saying a driver confirmed. Never received a call, or a text. Some type of communication would've been helpful. Had surgery that morning, was late. I had to end up calling Uber and their technology was very different and they were reliable. The driver showed up in the 8 minutes I was told he would. I was able to see the Uber driver's car on the app so I knew when they showed up. I don't understand why Lyft would decide to provide mediocre service after going through the process to start a business. If you are in the business of providing car service, then that's what you should be able to do. I just don't get it. Deleted their app. Will not use them again. Lyft isn't an exception company and there is no integrity because they don't do what they said they would do. They're mediocre at best.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

They are full of crap. I signed up to drive with a sign on bonus to 200 rides and get 500.00. Well I reached it and even showed so and it never paid me out. They said I got it and I never did. What a scam.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I requested for my ride after work on 29th of August 2018. Around 8.20pm for $52.50. When my driver came I notice his headlight was out. He got out to check before we even pull off the parking lot and told me he has to cancel my ride. Never did cause I couldn’t request for another car cause the Lyft drive had debited my card. I asked him, "Did you cancel?" I can request another car his lying self didn’t. I being emailing the damn customer service. They only reach out to me once. I explain to them what happened. Still not respond back.

And yes my fiancé check the account and yes they debited and took the money. I being taking Lyft for 5 months to work and this being problems three time with their damn drivers cancelled the ride. This is very unprofessional and not cool! Now this here I very piss and ready to sue and contact the news media. Cause no telling how many people they have done this too. And the buck stops here. My fiancé will be reaching out to the bank to stop payment and start an investigation!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

It took me two weeks to get approved to drive Lyft Express Drive rentals, once I got approved they give you the option to pick your rental. I clicked the button and it went to another screen saying that there aren't any available. "Do you want your refund?" I said no. For about a week and a half now I want my refund because this is ridiculous. Why don't you guys have enough rental cars??? Anyway now my option to get refunded isn't popping up anymore so I wonder how long do I have to wait to get my refund or even get a response since there isn't a live customer service rep to talk to???

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

During a recent trip to the Boston/Cambridge area I elected to use Lyft rather than a cab to get from my Hotel to the meeting site, and then back to the airport. As my employer would be reimbursing my expenses, I elected to set up a business profile to use my corporate credit card. The rides went smoothly, however, in paying the driver the funds were taken from my personal account. I contacted Lyft via their website (they do not have a direct number, surprise, surprise! Bad sign!) and asked them to credit my personal account and recharge the rides to my business account.

I received an email this was not possible, which is BS because every real business in the world knows how to do this. So, I am at the point of contacting my credit card company and asking them to reverse the charges, or continue my dispute. More and more they are looking like a typical Dot.com "money grab" rather than a real company. Very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I used Lyft for the first time today because my health insurance booked them to transport me to a medical appointment. The guy that took me to my appointment was awesome. Couldn't have asked for a better driver. The woman who picked me up was friendly, but her car reeked of cigarette smoke like I was in a bar. I'm a former smoker & found it very unbearable. My 8 y/o son noticed it too. Her husband, who she was supposedly training, was in the passenger seat reeked of alcohol. He had a juice bottle he was drinking from & with each sip the stench of alcohol got worse. Plus, he wasn't wearing a seat belt. Not a very good first experience, with the ride home, but we made it safely.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I have been using Lyft to get home, from Cambridge to the exurbs, when I work late, and have been satisfied, until tonight. At first I didn't notice because I had my nose buried in my computer, but then I did notice the car LURCH! And then it lurched again and again and again. It seems the car kept drifting into the opposite lane, and the driver kept wrenching it back, There was apparently some mechanical problem, and it seemed serious. Several cars blew their horns. I was terrified, but choosing between staying in the car and being dropped off on a dark highway was difficult. So I crossed my fingers and completed the trip, but I was terrified! If Lyft fails to ensure that its cars are at least safe to ride in, I'm taking my business to Uber.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I installed Lyft on my phone for a regular ride daily. The reason is that the same ride Lyft seems cheaper than Uber. Lyft has the ride pass for 4.99. Customer will get four-dollar off for next ten rides in 28 days. However, once I bought the bus ride, the regular price for each my ride goes up four dollars. After the discount, the ride becomes more expensive than Uber. This is cheating. I am a marketing professor. I understand such scam. I decide to uninstall Lyft and only use Uber.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I ordered a Lyft 10 hours in advance. The ride was accepted and I was to be picked up at 9:55 PM at Charlotte airport. I received a message saying that my car was 12 minutes away then an update saying 7 minutes away. A couple of minutes the ride was cancelled by the driver. I was left stranded at the airport and had to wait 45 minutes for a taxi that cost me $60.00. I will never trust Lyft again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Follow me on this: I had no funds on any of my credit or debit cards and was stranded with no way home (only about 6 miles away). Since I have used Lyft for numerous years I figured I could get a free ride. The rep gave me a coupon for $15, which would cover the ride, but, I HAD TO HAVE THE FUNDS TO COVER THE COUPON! I told them if I had funds why would I need a free ride coupon? Lyft hung up after saying that's how it is and also said their corporate office will not do anything. I am looking for their corporate number as soon as I am finish posting this complaint. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH LYFT!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Drive promotions are a rip off and you can never speak to anyone about your concerns. You break your neck and use more gas than you receive payout. They told me 10 rides over the weekend would GUARANTEE $90 but the catch is if you do more than 10 they count those too and if you make $90 you gets NOTHING!!! Like I've said the money you spend in gas is more than the payout you receive. My ten rides equaled $60 but to keep from giving me $90 they counted my 3 extra rides equaling 13 and only gave a promotion of $9.21. What a rip-off!!! If you put in effort to make at least $90, why can't they match it???

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I was given a 25% off for ten rides on Lyft but the rides I took from July 29 to August 2 weren’t applied correctly. I tried contacting them through email since that’s the only way to contact them and they kept insisting there was no mistake. I screenshot all the receipts and sent them the copies and after that no response. They have been ignoring my emails and not responding to me at all. They totally ripped me off by telling me I have a 25% off coupon that will be added to each ride automatically then not abide to that coupon. I was overcharged and taken advantage. They owe me money. Has anyone had this problem too? We need to do something about this.

Lyft expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.

• Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.

• Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.

• Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.

• Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.

• Best for: Lyft is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in metro areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs