Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.77/5

Lyft Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Lyft drivers arrive on time and get me to my destinations safely. They generally use the highway which somehow feels safer to me. Yet, I only use Lyft when I have my spouse or a friend with me so that I can feel safe during every ride. Most drivers are very friendly and chatty while others stay focused on the road and only say hello and sometimes goodbye. Every Lyft driver I have encountered have clean vehicles which tells me that they are diligent about their work. All things considered, Lyft is preferable to a taxi because it's more professional and much easier to access.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Usually cheaper than Uber in my area. The cars usually aren't as nice but they get the job done. I always have great conversations with Lyft drivers as well, just seem like more down to earth real people. Wish they were just a little cheaper but still had value. Don't recommend them at Midway airport Chicago, or Uber for that matter, take the train as the line to get a car is ridiculous.

Get buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

The drivers have been consistently friendly and courteous. They have arrived on time and got me where I needed to be on time. My only concern is I use the same route to and from the airport and the cost varied. I’ve been unable to reach Lyft via email or phone to ask them why the same route varied as much as $10. Not sure how the others handle a customer question but Lyft fails totally in this aspect.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

We needed a pickup from our daughter's home in Manhattan Beach to LAX and normally the traffic into the airport is just ridiculous, so when we drive, we go really early. This time we used Lyft and the driver knew a back way into the airport that avoided that whole Century Blvd. entrance and we were there very fast with no stress. Good trip, nice tip, everyone's happy!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

We have been very happy with Lyft. The drivers are consistently friendly, helpful, the cars are clean, and they appear miraculously within a very few minutes of us calling for one. I have enough confidence in their service that I have called them at 5:30 am to get to the airport and at 2 a.m. to get home from the airport. It's a great service.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

His negligence is rewarded and says acceptance if you can't give a full refund or compensate half for my life. My life is more than $5 credit and my business to this company far exceeds $5. This shows how Lyft doesn't really care about the passenger, just the passenger's money. I will be posting on social sites and reviews how low a moral compass this company possess.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Scheduled a ride to airport for 430am. They cancelled it 10 minutes before my trip. They tried to then blame it on me. They said I need to add a new credit card. I have 2 on file... They want a 3rd. I've used it before. Just always problems.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

On Sept 9th I requested a Lyft like I have quite a few times in the past. This lyft driver was not only using his phone the entire time, his seats were also quite stained. I paid no mind to it, never having had a bad experience previously. Fast forward 3 hours later and I've been charged a damage fee for a "coffee spill" (I had no beverages or liquids on my person, just a small bookbag and my phone) with images attached of the driver's stained seats.

After trying to communicate with Lyft regarding this obvious scam for a damage fee, I was sent an automated reply specifying that they stood behind the fee and it would not be removed. As a rider, I don't expect to have to take photo proof of the condition of a vehicle provided by Lyft before I embark on my ride and I don't believe many others would feel comfortable having to take that precaution. Buyer beware, there seems to be little to nothing you can do if a driver charges you this fee. I have since cancelled my service with this company and will not be using them in the future.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

I've been driving for Lyft for about 4 years, soon to quit but I never realized how bad their customer service was til I needed a simple thing done. I got a new phone and new number and tried to update my number via app, I got an error message that told me to contact customer service so I did. This is where things got obnoxiously annoying, out of over 10 messages I've sent, they all ended the same. "We will transfer this to a specialist who can further assist you within 24 hours," instant close. No confirmation that I don't need help with anything else or that I'm okay with the conclusion and they made sure not to leave a way to leave a review.

I'm convinced a lot of these are lazy people sitting in their basements that just want to handle simple task but anything too technical.. They have a mental melt down. Anyways, I finally after days, receive a message that I should be able to update my number.. I see my new number is put in..."cool I thought," NOPE!!! Now I can't log in unless I verify my number! "Okay, no big deal, I'll just go into the settings and verify my number". (ERROR CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR ASSISTANCE).

Before I was able to at least work, just couldn't contact my passengers via phone call, NOW I JUST FLAT OUT CAN'T WORK. Lyft has been around for years and I'm now finding out their staff doesn't know how to update a freaking phone number!?! Completely ridiculous and really makes me eagered to quit this job once I graduate my programming job. I drive for Uber as well and a few food deliveries, and they never gave me even close to this kind of hassle over updating a phone number. Lyft is such a dumpster fire.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I work as a full time driver for Lyft and I have a lot of issues to address.

1》They removed the premium pickup bonuses for distances longer than 12 minutes in my region. I end up now driving 20+ minutes to a pickup going 3 or 4 minutes down the road. 20 minutes at 40mph is roughly 14 miles. That is $8.12 depreciation value set by IRS. That is what it cost without insurance and a car note to operate to pickup. 4 minutes at 40 mph is about 2 miles. That's an additional $1.16. That is a cost of $9.28. That short tip only earns me $4. The customer pays $11. I'm taxed on that $11. So at 30%, I owe $3.30. This leaves a total of $9.98 loss because premium fee isn't covering like Uber does.
    2》The support team sucks. They have a series of pre-made quick responses they use meaning they are not listening to what you are saying. I have had problems like being rated unfairly for stuff out of my control and it is protected by their app that if it is a case, I can get the rating reversed. Not anymore. They refuse.

3》This is a fun one and if there is anyone who drives for lyft, watch out. Back about a month ago, I had a pickup and when I arrived they gave me problems about having to where a mask as it is a pandemic. Instead of canceling the ride as I demanded they upright pulled a gun on me and hijacked my car. I did get injured but minor. Luckily I have a panic button and GPS monitoring installed on my car. Crown Point police stopped and arrested the guy. As protocol, I am supposed to report this situation to Critical Support to get him banned. After holding on the line for 6 minutes, I get a rep who I can't name. I described what went down. They asked, if he made any threats, I said yes with a gun. They then proceeded to ask what was said. I told them I couldn't remember exactly what was said but I was hi-jacked at gunpoint. Long story short. He has not been banned and support did nothing.

I believe this company is crooked and should shut its doors for how nastily greedy they are. They don't care about the drivers and they don't care about the riders. All they look at is the income we as drivers pay the taxes on.

Lyft author review by ConsumerAffairs

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.

• Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.

• Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.

• Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.

• Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team