1.81/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

289 Lyft Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

The only way you can contact them is via email and most of the time they don't even respond. Very unprofessional. The promotional emails sent are never deducted from the ride. They cheat people... Very sad.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I have never used a Lyft or Uber. I tried scheduling a Lyft on the 9th of December for the 10th. I found the site confusing and difficult to navigate. I thought I was scheduling a ride for the 10 and then it said I had a driver coming over to pick me up in 4 minutes. I canceled and tried again and this time while look all over the site to schedule for the 10th, another driver was heading to my location. This time I was too late to cancel and got billed 5 dollars. Then I scheduled a ride with Uber which was much easier to do and took that on the 10th to the airport. Then I got billed by Lyft 10 dollars for the ride that Uber provided.

I still don't know how it happened. Then I tried to dispute the charges and I might as well have been on a merry go round trying to find the site on Lyft where I could do that. After multiple attempts I found the site and sent in my complaint and dispute. I immediately got a 10 credit then it disappeared. If I could give Lyft a 0 I would have. I will never visit the Lyft site ever again. And I will tell all my friends to stay away. The site is impossible to navigate for a first timer. I'm 73, was in Texas for a memorial service for my brother and got screwed left and right by Lyft.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

You should consider using another transportation service other than Lyft. They allowed a customer to use my credit card for 21 times in four days with a name on the card which did not match the name on the account for total charges nearing $450. This is totally irresponsible. What's more, you can't call them to resolve the matter, They won't even tell you what city the person who made the charges resides in, thus making criminal charges difficult to pursue. In fact, they make law enforcement use their help desk to file charges. Awful company to do business with.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I am an avid traveler as for my work I need to travel every week. This time I decided to use Lyft. The driver show up after 25 minutes whereas the Lyft app kept on saying the ride would arrive within 7 minutes. So I cancelled it after waiting for 25 minutes. I contact Lyft customer service. After few days they informed me that they have refund the cancellation fees $5 as Lyft credit. I contact customer service again to refund the amount back to my credit card. Lyft informed me that it's their company policy to refund in the Lyft credit not back to my credit card. As a consumer I think Lyft is been deceiving customer. I have the full right to get the refund fully in my credit card from where Lyft has charged me. Before using Lyft, consider about your limitations as consumer to use this company. Very bad company policy.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I Lyft to work almost every day and have noticed over the year that the quality of the Lyft drivers has downgraded significantly. Some of them are rude, ignorant, unaware of their directions, and they ignore call or text when they hit that button for pick up arrival and they are not at their pick up locations. Not to mention they complain to me they can't make enough money doing Lyft or the GPS app sucks, etc, etc..

I literally witnessed one of my Lyft driver hitting that arrival button and started the 1-minute countdown when she was still driving to my pick up location and she had not even arrived yet. I constantly have to file new reports to get my money back for the ridiculous no-show fees that these drivers charge fraudulently. It is starting to feel like some of the Lyft drivers are scammers who just charge that 5-dollar fees without doing their jobs.

Mr **, who I recently had an encounter with said to me "I have to make money and I have no time to wait for you" and canceled the ride on me after he lied about his location because he couldn't find me at the pickup location. I even texted him a screenshot of my location in GPS, which shows I was at my pickup location and he blocked me and left right before my eyes. I got charged 5 dollar fee for "no-show".

If Lyft drivers can't make enough money and get grouchy with their customers, and I as a customer feel threatened by multiple drivers who yell or tell me their miserable life stories because their GPS system sends them to the wrong street or they don't know which street they on and they can't even pay for their own gas, how is this even a legit driving service?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Lyft seems to hire just about anyone who shouldn't be driving because they are terrible with directions. The Lyft app said the driver was at my pick up location and I had one minute before his departure. I was there the whole time at my pickup location on Grand View street, and I didn’t see his car for some reason, so I called him and told him “I do not see your car.” He said “I am in the middle of the street.” So I said “which street?” My pickup location was on the corner of Grand View street and 8th street and I was on Grand View. He couldn't tell me which street he was on and raised his voice and told me “Ma’am I am in the middle of the street where your pickup is.” I said “ I am at my pickup location. Which is on the corner of a 4 way street. When you say ‘street’ are you on Grand View or 8th?” He told me “I am on 8th.”

So I walked to the corner of 8th and Grand View and I didn't see him. I said “I don't see you.” Then he started yelling at me and said he was in the middle of the street so I said, "I am on the street you said you were on." And he yelled and said he was on Grand View. When I told him he just said he was on 8th and I walked to 8th, he lied and said “I never said I was on 8th.” Then he hung up on me and canceled my ride and left. I literally saw him leave like 30 ft away from me on Grand View street. The only reason I did not see his car was because he said he was on the 8th street and I was looking for him on the 8th. So I was looking the wrong direction.

It seemed like he did not know which street he was on and tried to blame me. He was also a compulsive liar for telling me that he never said he was on 8th. Why would I walk to another street if I was already on the same street as he was. I got charged a cancellation fee. Unfortunately this is not my first time. Lyft drivers can't find the riders and often they don't even know what street they are on. I had another Lyft driver who yelled at me because she said she was on Colorado street but she was actually on Cloverfield street. And I started walking to Colorado and she started saying she was on Cloverfield. If they can’t even name their own location right, how are they drivers for a job?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I ordered a ride to work yesterday morning 12/07/2018. I was told that my driver was 5 minutes away. I rushed downstairs and was there following the movements of the vehicle on my tablet. This time it kept saying driver was now 2 minutes away. After a while the page flicker and said the driver is now leaving. How could this be? I was right at the door, no phone call or notification saying driver was anywhere. They billed me $10 for a no show service. Beware these people seem to be doing illegal activities to rob us of money not earned. I tried to contact them via text on their site. No use. I am so disappointed, I felt I was robbed.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We used Lyft a couple of times while on vacation in Denver for the Fleetwood Mac concert. Long story short, my phone (which we called Lyft with) was left in the Lyft car. Lyft was VERY unhelpful, there is no number to call, and only the Lyft help site - which was not helpful. The driver that had my phone eventually contacted us (we used Findmyiphone to track it and lock it and put a message with my boyfriend's number to call if found). She is not returning my phone, either. I now tried to delete my payment information to Lyft so in case the Lyft driver gets in, she can't use that app as well. There is no way I can find to delete your payment information nor account. There is also no password you can change to protect myself on my new phone. Deleting the app and not using Lyft again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My first try to use the Lyft app I put in the location where I was and wanted to go and my credit card info and it immediately sent someone to pick me up. I called to cancel with driver immediately and was told to cancel on the app. When I tried to do so I got a message saying I could NOT cancel it. I don't need a ride until Dec 24 and was told I could set it up ahead but didn't see any way to do that. I tried for an hour to reach someone at Lyft to correct this but was unable to reach anyone. I will NOT be using Lyft and have deleted the app.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My husband was working as a Lyft driver, he was scheduled to pick someone up, as per Lyft’s policies & procedures, anyone under 18 is not accepted to ride; however there is no presence of this when setting up an account. However; it is hidden in the terms and conditions but anyone of age can set up an account and order a ride. Beware if you’re under 18, you will be charged the $5 cancellation fee and refused a ride. My husband did just that and was assaulted by a young man under age for the refusal of the ride, and Lyft didn’t even protect my husband for following their protocol and getting assaulted by their rider. We filed a police report and submitted all the necessary paperwork to Lyft and then they decided to fault my husband, then terminated his contract, and refused him further employment.

Be aware if you’re are under 18 this is a regular way for Lyft to make money off children under the age of 18, by having you be refused for being under 18 and still being charged the minimum cancellation fee for the ride-$5. You’re paying $5 to be refused a ride and of course you may be angry, but please don’t assault the drivers, my husband is now injured and unemployed, thanks Lyft Merry Christmas. I hope Karma bites you back! I will have requested a hard copy of the police for validation but currently do not have one to upload; however it was reported to the police.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Lyft platform has gone downhill. I was a driver on the platform 2015-2018 and never had any issues until now. I kept a great rating, clean car, great attitude. I recently ran into a problem with Lyft about something on my driving record back in 2010 - a suspension. Lyft ran my driver record when I applied and again in 2018 because of a new license issued in new State. I have nothing new on my driver record since they last ran it in 2015. I get sent an email that says my account is deactivated because of issues with my driver record.

I called the DMV to see what was going on. They notified me and said, "You had no issues since 2010 on your driver record." So I call Lyft to ask what the issue. They ran my record 8 then each time it has failed because on items from 2010. "You hired me in 2015 with the same driver information I been driving since then and now you remove me three years later." They had no explanation. They just keep saying, "We don’t understand," and they are writing a bunch of email. Take heed folks.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Lyft’s policy indicates they have the right to charge a rider a no show fee if the rider contacts the driver or the driver contacts the rider. (See attached screenshot). Here’s the best part: Their app indicates the driver has arrived, but is nowhere to be found. (It’s a dead end street and I’m staring right at the supposed location of my driver at 5:30 am - it’s dark out. No way to miss a running vehicle.) Naturally, the rider tries to contact the driver (neither phone or text connects BTW). Still nowhere to be found, the app times out and charges $10. Lyft should be banned from NYC. They are very unethical.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Today, 11/22/2018, I called Lyft to find out why their take/charge jumped from 25% to almost 40% from the driver's view. Lyft said, they based it on time and mileage. And Lyft said that their terms and rules changes but could not provide me with document proof to send to my email because they clean their database last 6 months ago, she claimed. I told them, "You should have it. Back up your rules, terms and regulations especially when someone asks about it."

The operator handed me to her supervisor but once I started explaining, the supervisor just hang up on me. The Lyft's practice is deceiving and unfair for a driver like me which shoulders pretty much everything from maint., ins., gas and etc. I don't know if I will continue driving for them. I hope someone will go after them for stealing from their drivers. 40% take from drivers are crazy. We, as drivers for Lyft, should have some sort of justice upon this. Check the earning breakdown from Lyft and driver's take based on Lyft's app.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Over the weekend, I attempted to sign up with Lyft. I downloaded the app, started the signup process including name and mobile phone. I received a code to enter and begin the next phase of signup. The system asked for my email address (which I've been using for 20+ years) and then informed me that my email address was not appropriate for signing up with Lyft. Now most systems validate an email address by sending an email with a code (like the messaging used to verify mobile phones). Lyft has chosen to use an algorithm to decide on the suitability of an email address.

After multiple communications with customer service, I was told to create and use a new email address. Hardly a satisfactory suggestion. Specifically, customer service told me, "It seems that the system is unable to recognize your email address. I suggest that kindly make a new email address so that you will be able to sign up for Lyft. For more information on how to sign up kindly click this..." Fortunately, I can just create an Lyft account and ignore Lyft's existence.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I scheduled a Lyft 6 hours prior to needing a ride due to I needed to be at work on time. I thought by making the scheduled time in advance this with guarantee my arrival on time and alleviate my anxiety about the whole idea of using a Lyft. It said my driver would be at my pick up between 610 and 625. I have to be at work at 7. When I checked the app on my phone to make sure my driver was on their way, because I had only checked my phone like 5 times prior to make sure it still had my scheduled ride saved. It then tells me that he is approximately 14 mins away. That is fine. My anxiety is starting to diminish a little bit. But then I check it 10 mins later after I had gotten ready and it said he was still 13 mins away and that my pick up time was 639 and my drop off is at 714pm. Do you not realize that some people are using this as a means of transportation to make their living and their livelihood.

A person already feels helpless when they are used to having a vehicle and then they are without one. A vehicle gives a person independence and confidence. The last thing someone needs is to lose their job when they are already struggling. I am so disappointed with these services that I promise I won't ever use them again. I don't know who messed up or if this is how your company usually operates but if it is, I am certain you don't have customers that have decent careers and would pay you well. No one could keep a job if they counted on your company.

I knew this was a bad idea and I should have listened to my gut. You need to know the importance of your drivers being on time. Not for me, because like I said, I won't ever use your services again. Actually I would think a refund was in order. But anyway, for your other customers. I would hate to see someone who is trying, not succeed because they relied on your company to get them there on time. You can refund my money or you can keep it. I frankly don't care. I would rather know that someone read this and took me serious.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I left my phone in a Lyft last Sunday, found it the following day. And after emails and calls and the like, using other people's phones and my laptop to contact the driver as well as Lyft support, I finally was able to get him to drop off my phone at the Lyft hub [since bringing it directly to me was such a hardship, apparently]. I have been waiting 2 days to hear back from Lyft about how and when and where to pick up my phone. NO RESPONSE. It's so frustrating that my phone is the only way I can even call a car to pick me up from my house to go to work, run errands, etc. I can't believe the lack of any sense of urgency. I will be downloading Uber app as soon as my phone is back in my hands. If it ever is. WHERE THE FRICK IS YOUR CUSTOMER SUPPORT, LYFT??? I am appalled.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I applied to be a Lyft driver, on the app you have option to rent a car, I went through to rent the car, it required a $250 deposit. The app errored, and charged my card anyways. Now I am out $250 and the app won't work properly. I have tried contacting help multiple times in multiple ways and have been completely ignored.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Lyft and Uber should be banned in the USA. These companies are pretending to host a fair and balanced platform but instead you're getting trapped into serving privileged spoiled brats or the bottom of the barrel wanna be privilege who sit in the comfort of your car warm and cozy or cool and comfy only to find the least little minuscule thing to complain about to give you low rating. Good luck with ** kissing. Uber and Lyft have created an untamed monster which is growing more and more ugly each day. I see drivers speeding and driving wrecklessly trying to make quota to pay for their rental/lease and those who own their cars are a year away from walking themselves.

This is the worse gig possible think about it? You drive a hundred miles to drop someone around the corner? You are such in traffic and get canceled? You follow protocol and get a low rating? You breathe in the horrible odors of cigarettes, marijuana, alcohol, stall food, etc... You get paid $3.00 trips? You get someone you can't find it have to wait five minutes? Your GPS malfunctions often pricing you worthless and here comes another bad rating your 5-star rating is now 3 stars in a couple of months? They really don't want you after two months which is usually the amount of time it takes to figure it all out? I can go on but to sum it up, it's a science lab project where the rats are hunting for cheese only to find out there are a million more mice than rats. On a positive note, you get to set your own schedule, and kiss all the ** you like.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I began driving for Lyft in September 2018. After driving for about three weeks without getting any direct deposit I contacted them. I initially set the deposits to go into my savings account. They informed me that they would look into the issue, but requested that I email them a copy of a voided check and to change my deposits to go into my checking account. I'm assuming the payment deposits were attempted to go to a wrong account number. They informed me that they would have to request a retraction of the initial payments and then they would send the payments to my checking account. A couple of weeks later I noticed that not only did they not pay me, they withdrew the two payments out of my checking account!

I've sent and received several emails to Lyft to attempt to get this issue resolved and still they do not seem to understand my issue. I've even sent them a copy of the bank statement that shows the two withdrawals. This is the worst customer service I've ever experienced in my life. They do not have any phone support except for when I began this process. Everything is done through email and they still do not understand the problem. The last email I received last night indicated that Lyft would never withdraw money out of someone's account. I suspect the problem is with Lyft and their third-party financial processor, Stripe. I will continue to contact Lyft to get this resolved. I'm also not going to contact every complaint site I can find including the BBB to warn others about this issue.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

We are in Miami Florida and We have being using Lyft for a private medical practice for the past 2 months and always the driver have the wrong address, cancel the trip and charge us with 5 or 10 dollars. They are using a GPS which are wrong in address in Miami, and of course they are not using the common sense because they don't have the basic knowledge about the driving address.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Please be cautious about this New York driver called Mubarack if you do not want to keep chasing the car because he won’t stop at the exact location nor picking up his phone. And if you happen to be lucky enough to find him, do not tell him you chased him because he will fight you back at every word (literally every word) and tells you that he is an independent contractor and he does what he wants. And he will kick you out of the car. If you don’t want to chase the car, hear rude comments or got kicked out of your ride, then avoid this driver.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I have driven Lyft for 1.5 years and everything about the company is for pro-Lyft and screw the driver. Lie from Day One. Earn ** - or whatever they say is a lie. You only get 75% of what they call earnings so if they say 1000 it means 750. It is very weird to start off with a lie but I guess more sign up. but they really get more than 75% because they get all the service fee on top of what they call fares. So on all short rides they get more than 50%. Lose money on many short rides depending on how far you drove to pick them up or how long you wait for them or how much traffic.

This program is good for riders but ruins many hard working people's lives. They are not there to help drivers. Don't have a small bumper deal. 2500 deductible. Also minor damage to your car they kick you off the app. All I can say is what I have seen is this company is awful for drivers and my math says many or most lose money driving for Lyft. And in the end Lyft does not care. I think we need better morals and integrity in American Business today.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

A lady named Grace from Lyft's Trust and Safety team harassed and bullied me repeatedly on the phone. I was mentally tortured by her. She forced me to succumb to her and I refused. Following which I started sharing my reviews on social media. Then Grace started sending me bribe??? to shut my mouth. This is corruption to the max. I have got tangible proof.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I spent half an hour trying to get a cab. 3-4 drivers get on wrong way (GPRS failure?) I have to cancel 2 because they’re too far away, and 1 driver cancelled my ride. These are all understandable - I also got refund as account credit for a cancellation because the driver get wrong turn and is driving too far away from me. The problem is, when I try to report this condition, there’s no way I could do it through the app?! You could only get ‘help’ for rides already taken, i.e. complain about the drivers but not making any comment on this app company. Maybe Lyft shouldn’t be afraid of listening.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I am a very "ontime" person so when I use Lyft and see that the driver is 5 minutes away I am already outside waiting. About 70% of the drivers would say that they have arrived on the app and that they were departing in 4 minutes but would not show up until 3-5 minutes later! Lyft chargers users extra fees for making their driver wait! Most of the times they have not even arrived to the destination and that is very dishonest. Because of this many of the drivers I had ended up getting lost and trying to contact me to find me, I have an international phone number so I am not able to get calls, which is why I always try to meet my drivers outside. And because they got lost for lying about their arrival times, and they can not contact me I end up waiting about 10 minutes before I get into the ride.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have used LYFT several times, but this time was disturbing, every time (for about 2 hours) the lift driver app showed me the tracking of the driver until they were about 12 minutes away and then the driver would disappear, to the point that the 76 house was closing and I was outside on the street. Thank god for a helpful classmate (this was my class reunion) who tried over and over to correct and send a driver for me. He ended up not only driving me home, but he was also an UBER driver. I am removing the app from my phone and will never use them again. Stranded at 1:30 am and no way to get in touch with LYFT. LYFT apparently, once they have your $money does not communicate for any reason only by email. Horrible company that has little to no communication with their paying customers.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I was charged over $200 for a ride I didn't take, on a date my account wasn't active, and I haven't been able to speak to anyone for 6 days. Their lack of phone support is so inconvenient, and God forbid you have an issue after business hours. They don't care about their passengers or drivers (I have a driver friend who is continuously disheartened with the way the drivers are pushed aside) and they're just all about making money, even if it means committing fraud I guess.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Receive email that I have 10 rides at 50% off... It's all BS and fake advertising. For 1 Uber shows same route at a lower rate WITHOUT applying any type of discount and 2 when I check same route on am friends Lyft app without any promos it shows that LYFT clearly MARKED UP my fare so that the discount when applied is the same as others without promos. PURE BS. How are they allowed to LIEEEE like that??? STAY WITH UBER no BS.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Despite that Lyft says, I was unable to use Lyft with a valid debit card or through Google pay. Warning - Even if you delete your Lyft account, they will continue to share your personal information! "If you choose to terminate your account, we will deactivate it for you but may retain information from your account for a certain period of time and disclose it in a manner consistent with our practices under this Privacy Policy for accounts that are not closed."

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My daughter used my Lyft account and added her credit card. I tried to delete her card off the app the next day and it would not allow me. It made her card the primary card and told me I could not delete the only valid card on file. BUT I WAS NOT SCHEDULING A RIDE! I then searched how to delete my account and I was informed they will delete the account but save my information and if I ever logged in again the old information would be there.

Lyft expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.

• Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.

• Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.

• Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.

• Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.

• Best for: Lyft is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in metro areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs