2.62/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 11, 2017

91 Lyft Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I dropped my phone in a Lyft car, and while the driver was wonderful and prompt at turning it into the Lyft office the customer service was horrible. They did not notify me of the location of my phone, despite my immediate reporting, until more than 24 hours after the driver turned it in. There is no way to call and there is no way to speak to an agent who knows how to handle any issues. I was told repeatedly that the Lost and Found did not have phones. In addition, I was told to visit the Lyft office to retrieve my phone on Friday between 10-2 and despite arriving in ample time found the office closed for a holiday - even though customer service told me the office was going to be open. I ran into 4 others who went to the office also told that it was open. I am completely dissatisfied with the way this company runs its operations. If it wants to compete with Uber it needs to step up its customer service game.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Used this app a few times. Last night used it to come home after a concert and after drinking. IDK why the app or driver took me to a different city, but the driver threatened us when we didn't want to get out in an unfamiliar place. Left us, and when we called customer service they also didn't care whatsoever. You're supposed to use this service instead of drinking and driving but I'll not use it again. The other driver who picked us up and drove us home was also very creepy and said some scary stuff. Never using this again. YOU'RE SAFER DRIVING HOME DRUNK.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I had my first ride from Lyft in Miami. The ride was fine, but I left an expensive camera in the passenger floorboard when I got out. My wife tried to stop the car as it drove off unsuccessfully. My daughter said that her friends leave things in Ubers all the time. Just use the app and tell them that you have a lost item. I did this within a minute or two of the car leaving. I could not get a response from the driver or Lyft except that they were not in contact with the driver. The driver did not respond when she could have just turned around and dropped the item off. After two hours I get a response from Lyft saying that the item is not in the car, and she (the driver) knows nothing about it. Granted, it's possible, if she had more hires after me, that someone could have taken the camera. However, the lack of instant contact is where my problem is.

She instantly got a message from Lyft to pick me up for the original ride. Why can there not be an instant message to go back if there is a problem. There probably is and was that method. There was also the communication barrier. The driver did not speak English. Did she not respond because she did not understand what was being asked due to the language barrier? I would say that is more probable and that is a major problem. Meanwhile my camera goes missing. Lyft basically said tough luck, you should have checked before you got out, file a police report if you are unhappy. Nobody is perfect. I did leave the camera in the car. But I would bet an airline would have brought the item to lost and found and it would be mine today. If Lyft is unaccountable for any lost items, and the drivers can't communicate with the passengers, that is a major problem. Obviously, I will never use them again. I hope others will do the same.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I used this app pretty frequently because of their promo codes, but then in multiple cases, the navigation told the driver to go to a different location than the one I specified. In one case going home, we had to actually stop in the middle of traffic because I realized we were going to the opposite part of town. In another case, I had to pay the driver 20 dollars more because the app brought us to a whole different location that was much further. The driver had to drive me back for free because the location was so remote.

In many cases, my rides are significantly more expensive compared to what I would be charged from an Uber ride. I usually go to the grocery store on the same day at the same time every week, and Uber has been consistently cheaper when there are no promo codes for Lyft. Overall, I’ve had terrible and dangerous experiences because of Lyft’s navigation.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I complained to American Express when a Lyft driver in Miami charged my card when I wasn't even in Miami (fraud) and Lyft refunded it but disabled my account and won't reinstate it! Talk about abusing the victim! It's infuriating and wrong. They won't even contact me to discuss. Horrible horrible customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lyft?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Lyft canceled my ride while I was already IN THE CAR with driver who now was not going to get paid for ride. He kept trying to message Lyft while driving so I tried to find customer support. Only could send email with NO REPLY. Driver wanted to take me off highway to go find an ATM machine so I could pay him. I refused but said I would pay him by check. I repeatedly tried to get someone at Lyft to correct the situation while in process but no way to reach support. I also asked they call me while I was in the car. Once home I sent another email and did get reply thanking me for paying the driver. This company puts customers potentially in very bad situations with no way to contact for help.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Our location was not reliable. Could not find them. Both called first. One hung up. Second I could not find. I told him where I was but never saw him. Walked back and forth to no avail. Worse thing was they charged me a $5 cancellation fee. I will not use them again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I just found out my daughter has been using a car that I pay for, insure and register! She did not ask for permission but the worst part is, Lyft does not require her to get permission from the vehicle owner! The loophole is, because my daughter's name is on my insurance policy, they'll allow her to drive for them! PARENTS BEWARE!!

So I call Lyft, and had the rudest experience I've ever had! This jackwagon tells me that the only thing I can do is remove my daughter from my insurance policy? Lyft will not do anything without MY DAUGHTER'S CONSENT!!! Are you kidding me? I asked for a manager and was told this person was the manager and there was no one above her! The coward wouldn't even give me a name or phone number. Do yourself a favor and do not use this service. They do not care about their drivers or the vehicles being used.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I use to work with Lyft. I start working yesterday actually the thing is they took so long to check my background and all... They took 2 weeks to check and after 2 weeks they open my account and they told me, "Congratulation. You are approved to work with Lyft..." I did 2 rides after that they suspended my account. When I email them they said, "Your driving record is not good." They suppose to check everything before they open. One day they said, "Oh you are approved." When I complete 2 rides then they said. "Your Lyft is suspended because of your driving record." I was so pissed. I'm still emailing them but no one is replying me back. If you don't want to waste your time don't work with Lyft... Lyft is a wasting time. That's all I want to say.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I have used Lyft 200+ times and for no reason my credit card was suddenly disapproved, which Lyft admitted was their fault. After back and forth emails trying to resolve, these morons refused to call me to expedite the process. I finally deleted them from my phone and gave up. Their customer service reps are the most condescending people I've ever met. I now use Uber exclusively.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I was charged three separate times that added up to over 33.00 in two days and was told by Lyft that I had to take it up with my cardholder. They seen I did not take the rides and the rides were not in my ride history but they could not give me an explanation of why the money was taken off my card. I have been a good customer for over two years with them and never had a problem until now. So they lost a good customer because I have deleted my account with them and now went back to Uber.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Lyft cares nothing about the drivers. I drove some passengers from Columbus Ga to Atlanta Ga. When I arrived at the destination and tried to cash out, I couldn't. I immediately contacted Lyft and was told the ride was under investigation for fraudulent activities, and I would receive or not receive my payment within 48hrs. I waited 48hrs and still no pay or explanation of why. Every time I contacted an agent they gave me the runaround.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I requested a Lyft for my son. The Lyft driver 1st went to a wrong high school. Called him to ask him where he was, when he told me the name of the high school I told him that was the wrong school. Why did he go to the wrong school when I correctly input the correct address? He later said he went to the correct location. I tried to direct him to the correct parking lot but he would not listen. After talking to him I concluded he either did not understand English or he was just stubborn. Long story short, he did not pick up my son. I had to call Uber. Lyft later charged me. I will make sure none-on my friends or family never use Lyft.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I am the regular customer of Lyft. So I know how much I will be charged for every ride. And also how much I will get during my ride during prime time and everything. But once I was been charged more and sought for customer support with Lyft as well but their response shocked me and not even a single penny they refunded and also their way of response was shocking. I couldnt find any other way of reaching them. So pls help me out if you guys know any! Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Lyft transportation sucks. No one showed up and I waited in the heat 30 mins for no one with a newborn so they could find me. Which is complete bs since I confirmed my time that same morning with them twice. Then dispatch couldn't get me a ride even though they had messed up and told me to reschedule my appointment and they'd be glad to help um... Now this is the second time I've had to reschedule.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

In the process of using Lyft for the first time I created an account. Attempted to set up a Lyft ride home from the airport. As I was navigating this new app I placed the order for the ride by mistake, but within 30 seconds or less I canceled. Not too long after I received a notification of a charge on my account from Lyft, a service that I did not even use so I proceeded to call Lyft to find out what was the issue. I spoke to a representative who had terrible customer service and she informed me that the there will be a hold on my account for the next 3 to 4 hours and there was absolutely nothing she can do about it for $97.00, the only thing she could do was credit me $5.00 (seriously).

I was completely not satisfied with that. (Danzihh) did not care and proceeded to chuckle when I got upset therefore I do not recommend this company. They show no compassion or concern for the customer. POOR POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE LYFT??? It did not take you 3 to 4 hours to take the money out of my account it should not take you 3 to 4 hours to put it back in my account. That's absurd!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I am a frequent user of shared-ride services and have been concerned over recent coverage of security issues involving drivers of several major providers. Last night I requested a Lyft at Miami Airport and was assigned a driver. However, when the driver arrived he had a completely different license plate than the one provided to me on the app. It was also an Illinois, and not Florida, plate. When I asked the driver about this, he became aggressive and said he had changed the plates and not notified the company.

I refused to board the vehicle, as the situation appeared irregular and concerning due to the license plate inaccuracy and the driver's attitude, but was charged a 7 dollar cancellation fee. I immediately wrote to Lyft customer support to complain and request a refund, as well as to offer a photo I took of the license plate, but have yet to hear back from the company. I am unsure which other recourse I might have to fix this. I feel that I am entitled to a refund and that the driver should be penalized or made to fix the situation.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I call on 10/7/17 at 7.30 am. Got a ride. To my morning job. Last week the fare was 7.67, from ** to 1104 S Lagoon Ave. This week it was 10.51. I enjoy the service while it last. But I will not be acquiring your service anymore. A three dollars increase is a little too much for me. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I have requested Lyft. For 2 rides. My first ride was supposed to be free. It was $13.02. My next ride was the same starting and destination places. I was charged close to $49. There is no Lyft phone number. I sent an email to their help service and now have 19 sent messages to Lyft support and they have charged my account for other people's rides.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

When driving for Lyft got deactivated because a passenger said I offer to pay to take there Photoshoot. Saturday September 30th I called Lyft about this was transferred and advised never heard of this. They said to reply to an email sent 45 minutes ago and when replying to a Mr. the next day got a email reply back from a Miss. Saying they're looking into it. I Called Monday same thing (transfer/runaround/still looking into it) and now they're not responding to emails. I never did anything wrong to deserve being deactivated is why am not happy with this company and am here to resolve this.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I just had a terrible incident with a passenger on this October 1st, 2017. I picked 2 passengers in Santa Monica, CA around 1 am in a bar. It was a girl and a guy. I did not noticed he was drunk, she was not. He threw up in about 10 minutes on the Freeway but the girl said he was OK and he did not do anything bad. She lied of course. But obviously was getting very smelly inside my car. I asked again if he puked inside my car, she said no. She used her friend t-shirt to clean inside fast. And she said "Look, nothing happened. Everything is very clean"... but still was smelly. Even the drunk guy opened the door while I was driving in the middle of the street just to walk out. She was on panic.

When we arrived at their destination I let them go and I started checking my car and Oh surprise I look underneath my car cover, the seat and everywhere and I saw the whole mess. It was HORRIBLE. I confronted those guys and told them what they was not nice and they have to pay for it. The girl seemed very sorry and said they will be paid for everything.

I have been driving for Uber & Lyft for about 6 months and it is the very bad experience I ever have. I called immediately to their “new 24 Hour great phone service” for drivers and no answer at all until about 1.5 hours later. I sent them lots of pics as evidence and they immediately paid $150. That was RIDICULOUS of course. Because I had to stop working I lost about $250. I have to buy a new car cover for about $250 including installation. I am going to change the whole back seat because all the mess came inside very deeply and it's impossible to clean it. I still do not know the price but I guess will be around $2,000. Plus I have to pay $200 for the detailing. The total will be around $2,700. And Lyft is paying only $150. And of course I disputed the money.

This was the last Lyft response: "We re-opened your case and after an extensive review of the information provided by both you and the driver, no adjustments will be made to this claim." This is a nightmare. Does someone has or has a similar experience? What did you do? How can we/I confront Lyft and make them pay? By a Lawsuit?

These ride sharing companies are getting and richer and richer and even billionaires using their drivers. And they don't pay a fair money. Drivers use our own cars, our own car insurance, we pay for our gasoline, we deal with the horrible traffic and road rage on streets and freeways, we deal with drunky and druggy passengers sometimes and when it comes to help us with some issues Lyft is not there to help us. And sometimes they even blame us for problems we never caused. How can we stop these greedy and mean companies once and for all??? After this horrible experience I have to look for a real job. Working for Lyft and also Uber is not OK. Is very little money for a lot and stressful job. This is my personal experience.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I had several passengers ask for narcotics during my time as a Lyft driver. I refused to provide narcotics. I didn't have any and didn't know where to get them and wouldn't if I could. So the passengers then flagged me for safety because I didn't provide them with drugs. Lyft did not investigate and chose to deactivate me. They have been very rude and stuck up when they do give an actual reply to my emails but most of them are copy paste or automated email replies.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I reserved a pickup for Oct 1, 2017 in Waterford Ca, to be delivered to SFO. They changed the driver on me 3 times, with the 3rd driver arriving 15 min late. Then it got worse, the driver said he had no idea I needed to be taken to SFO, and said he couldn't take me there. He then canceled my trip and told me I'd need to log back into my Lyft app and request another driver. I will never use Lyft again, and I will spread the word to everyone I know about the type of service they offer.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Bait and switch. I requested a Lyft and I received an estimate of $23.52. When I checked my account a few hours later, Lyft said that I was being billed $52.79! How does Lyft account for a $30 margin of error??

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I used Lyft on a late night on LBI. Was friendly and on time. Felt safe because we were with a few other people in our party. He came from a distance which surprised me.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Rideshare companies have opened up a new world for people who want to go out and not drive. It is so convenient and quick! If I know I will be drinking or am in an area that is difficult to park, the availability to touch a button on my phone and have a clean car with a pleasant person pick me up is so nice. I love it that I know what it is going to cost upfront and I won't get taken on a taxi tour to beef the charges.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have used Lyft many times to and from work while my vehicle was being repaired and after surgery; the drivers were courteous, friendly, respectful and great conversationalists if you want to talk. The only problem I have (and this is for all the car services) is if you order one during a certain time of day that is busier the price can go up 50% or more. That is a rip off. We took a Lyft to the Rockies Game from work (approximately 3/4 mile) and went early so it only cost us $12 + tip split among the 4 of us ($4.00 each) so we thought that was great. We called to get a ride back and it would have cost $32.00 + tip to return to the same location. We walked to the light rail and took that instead, 5 block walk to it then 1 block from the station for $1.50 each.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

This was over a year ago, so things may be different. A young woman I worked for had to go very early in the morning to an appt and Lyft was the company that her insurance paid for. She was disabled and required a ride with wheelchair access. I would call and schedule her rides "pickup" with "wait return" and maybe half the time they would wait. The other half dispatch didn't mark it or they would go pick up a fare in between and my friend would then have to share the ride with a stranger, if they returned for her at all. Even though it was their mistake she sat waiting for 2 hrs, more than once and dispatch didn't even apologize for their mistakes. Poor customer service.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Lyft is a very good company to ride with. All of their drivers are very professional and knowledgeable about the city and the minute you step into their car, they make you feel like you are at home. They are so pleasant to talk to about anything. Where to go to eat, where to have fun, where to just rest. This company make you feel very safe because you know who is going to pick you up since you have their picture and car and license plate number and phone number.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I had several drivers who canceled on me because they were unable to figure out how to maneuver around lower Manhattan. I had to get the $5 cancelation fee reversed.

Lyft expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lyft launched in 2012 as a service of Zimride, a ridesharing company that focused on longer trips between cities. Lyft offers rideshare service over short distances in cities across the United States with operations in select international cities.

• Lyft car options: Consumers can choose from three car options. Lyft is the basic economy sedan choice. Trips for more than three passengers can use Lyft Plus, and Lyft Premier offers high-end rides in luxury.

• Lyft Line: Lyft Line is a carpooling option for consumers willing to share their Lyft rides with others going the same direction. Lyft Line users can save up to 60 percent on their fares.

• Lyft blog: Lyft’s blog keeps consumers up to date with new app features and current news about Lyft.

• Lyft for Good: Drivers participating in Lyft for Good can partner with local charity programs like Meals on Wheels to deliver food to or provide transportation for people in need.

• Lyft Enterprise: Lyft Enterprise can partner with businesses to provide safe on-demand transportation to employees wherever work takes them.

• Best for: Lyft is best for consumers who need transportation over short distances in metro areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs