Holland America Cruises

Compare Cruise Lines

Research top Cruise Lines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

There was many options to choose from and there's something for everyone. There's sight-seeing, shopping, eating, and taking in the local culture. No one will be disappointed. We had small children with us, and they were satisfied. Whatever you need and/or want, you will be able to get it. Also, everyone was nice and helpful, and they had a smile on their face 24/7. Everything was so clean and fresh. They truly take pride in their ship. Overall the value is beyond what you get. Everything will blow away your expectations.

It was a great time, me and my family enjoyed that so much. Everything worked out very good more than what we expected, the places was awesome, all kinds of fun, music, etc. The prices was so much affordable, the service is awesome, you just feel like a prince. The team are very friendly. I loved this time on board, wonderful food and drinks. The quality of overnight stay is awesome, I love night life, there is so much many things to do, and when it's time for bed it was so calm at my cabin, this is a dream. The value was real worthy, I felt like I got what I paid for from the begging to the end, it is truly a super stars services, super clean and super fancy. I missed this so much, planning to go this coming year. Yay!

One had many options to prebook or to choose from a la cart prior to arrival. I chose to review all amenities, activities available prior and plan each day at the time. All amenities which included furnishing, decor, arrangements, dining, entertainment and events. Services included all inclusive from in room to on board to off board activities all rearranged. The quality of the stay from in room and on board were higher than one would normally expect. The most notable items especially food and drink exceeded my expectations and most if all would concur. The perceived value as defined as the cost versus met expectations were good although on a comparative basis were higher than other lines.

It was fantastically large ship and there were a lot of different things to do on it. I was there for three days and I enjoyed every minute of it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to get away and relax. Their amenities was so so. I have had a lot better but I don't really want to complain. I was not astounded by it but it was okay. I would go again if I had the opportunity. Overall it was great soft bed, silk sheets, great dinner and wonderful breakfast. Lovely Jacuzzi to soak in and a lot of other great features. It was worth what I paid for it.

After cruising on another line, Holland is clearly a top provider of a cruise that's both luxurious onboard and interesting in port. For the same price as a Mexican resort, you get better food, better lodging, amazing views and better safety for the same amount of time. We booked all but one shore excursion ourselves. There was some variety of on boat activities but the one Holland excursion on shore we did we found to be boring. Our balcony had enough room for us to relax and enjoy watching the ocean. We enjoyed having a variety of dining hours to choose from as well as late night snacks. The food was exceptional and exposed me to new tastes. We were also impressed with the gallery of art on the ship and all the staff was well trained. The room steward was always available with whatever we needed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holland America Cruises?

Holland America Cruises had helicopter tours that made stops on glaciers and also had fishing trips for a reasonable amount of money and a few land tours available also. They had a casino I liked going to, although the payouts could have been better. The rest of the time I was by the pool and not much of anything else. They had very nice rooms with beds that were very nice although the bathrooms could have been a bit larger and the lighting was very good. The food was always very good and available whenever we were hungry whether it was day or night.

I've sailed with Holland America from Boston to Montreal and loved everything in between, reveling in Halifax's historic town, Green Gables on Prince Edward Island, and the amazing and beautiful city of Quebec. Sailing on Holland America, you are offered not just food and entertainment, but also you are welcome to find out about what you are seeing. Experts are there to answer your questions and speak with you so you know what you are looking at.

We did not choose a balcony room, which I heard were wonderful, but the one step below that and found it all comfortable. The room's a good size for two people. I loved looking out my window to the sea every morning. We sailed with family and friends and loved meeting in the different lounges that were plentiful and excellent. The food was superior. The staff were so incredibly helpful and kind as well, and seemed sincere too! I have never enjoyed a cruise line like I've enjoyed Holland America.

Because there are the different levels of rooms to stay in, it is very possible to be able to afford a cruise on nearly any budget that you have. The rest of the ship is wide open to you, regardless of your bank account: the ship activities, restaurants, and entertainment. Alcoholic beverages are extra costs, but with care you can work around that as well. You don't even have to buy shore excursions. You can just walk off the ship and explore on your own for free. Cruising is a great value vacation, and you get to see new things. I would definitely sail on Holland America again.

Holland America had a lot of stuff to choose from to do, and swimming, play ping-pong, dancing. The whole staff was great, and loved all you can eat for breakfast lunch and dinner. They had a nice swimming pool that you can Swimming in, a few different restaurants to choose from which were Italian, Japanese, pizza and stuff like that. They also had an area where you can gamble, so have fun playing poker, blackjack, and slots. Had a great time on board, have fun, and was relaxing at times so if you wanted to. Could do everything on the boat that you would do on land. The value of the cruise experience was very good, we all got our money's worth. I do in all the activities that they supplied for us to do.

The three day itinerary with my wife was memorable. The services were at the highest level, fast and efficient. The staff generally trained and experienced and are experts in their field. Rest was on top! All this unforgettable atmosphere, nature, quality and good service, top-level accommodation. In general, satisfied with everything, I recommend to all beginners.

You are waited on and entertained from the beginning to the end. You have a Casino to play in, while at sea. Many shops and games on board. Delicious food choices and different entertainment each night. The Ports of Call you visit are picked with great care and let you have a taste of other cultures. It's a home away from home without a bunch of packing and unpacking. The quality of your stay is whatever you want it to be. If you want breakfast in bed, just ask for it. If you have a special celebration while at sea, just request to have it taken care of. The crew on a Cruise Ship is there to make your stay something to remember.

Overall a cruise is an all in one experience and probably the most practical way to travel for everything you get. If I could afford it, I would take at least two cruises a year. Study where you would like to visit, how long you can be gone and how formal or relaxing you would like the trip to be. Be open to new things, people and places. Pick a table for 8 or 10 if you would like to meet new people. It is delightful to meet people of new places and cultures. To me cruising is the best trip you can do.

It was not what I expected. The food was just ok. Did not like waiting in line to get into the dining room. The hallways too narrow. Rooms and the balcony could use some updating. The service was good though. Also getting on the ship was a long process. Did not feel luxury at all. The itinerary was ok and the extra excursions were very expensive. I thought the amenities were ok but not great. It was also a little boring. I felt that the overnight stay was average, even a little bit below average. I would rather pay a little more and really feel the comfort, the luxury, the amenities, the activities, the excursions, the food. I want to feel as if I am staying in a luxury hotel. The value, I guess, was ok for what I experienced. This was my first cruise, and was not experienced with cruising. I did receive what I paid for, but was not satisfied.

We experienced the Bill Gaither Alaska Cruise and this was on our bucket list and we met so many of the gospel artists that we had been watching and loving and singing their music for so long. If we had never left the ship, the gospel music was glorious. Anything in Alaska was a treat for us to see; the natives, the beautiful mountainous scenery, the glaciers, the vast amount of American Bald Eagles everywhere, the totem poles, and their particular way of life. We would love to go back and spend more time. Anything you choose to do there is an experience in itself. We needed Passports, though, because one of the ports of call is Victoria, BC.

Because this was our first cruise, we were amazed at the size of the ship let alone the wonderful amenities offered onboard. It is like a floating city with shops. Our room was just enough for what we needed; a place to sleep and shower. It was very nice and neither of us had any trouble sleeping in the queen bed. We were only there to sleep and shower because we were either off the ship or eating in the wonderful restaurants or attending concerts. The stewards who made up our room would leave a little napkin animal on our bed every night along with chocolates.

The food was wonderful and so generous. The evening meals were especially wonderful along with the "formal" nights and there were so many sets of silverware. Our table was in the back of the ship and we could watch the trail of the ship's engines on the water. It was a wonderful experience for us land-locked people and we still talk about this experience and it is something we will never forget. The cruise was well worth all of the planning and to us, it was worth a million!!

I was proactively contacted and asked in detail how I wanted my itinerary to go and given lots of options. I was engaged in and enjoyed the process and it made me look forward to the trip. The amenities and services were really great and up to par I think. There was a very large selection and even the a la cart menu was appealing. I had a great stay. There was always something fun or interesting or inviting going on and I enjoyed that. I would recommend based on this alone probably. I think overall it was a good value. I did some comparison shopping and looked at different options and feel I got one of the best deals with them.

It was fast and easy to choose itinerary options. Holland America had lots of options to choose from, which means an option for everyone. I enjoyed their amenities and services. There was something for everyone on board. I had a great time using their services. The quality of my stay was top notch. Holland America really knows how to make their customers feel valued and appreciated. I would cruise with them again for sure. Holland America has great value. They have very competitive pricing for their cruises.

They offered a lot of options for the itinerary, but not too many things for solo travelers. The inclusions for my cruise were amazing. The check in procedure was average, but once you were on the ship, the staff was so courteous and helpful right away and went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect. I had a single inside cabin and the price was fantastic. The food was amazing, and the shows were exceptional. The lounges had different types of entertainment or dancing, and the happy hours varied at the different lounges. The excursions were pretty good, and they had activities on board if you didn't feel like leaving the ship. I would definitely cruise with them again.

It was a good and friendly place to take a family to have lots of fun. It was also clean and the food was good. The staff on the ship were so nice and friendly to us. They were also pretty good about helping us with whatever we need on the ship and we took a long walk around the ship and took a swim in the water. Moreover, the rooms we stayed were super clean and super nice and the beds were soft and had a nice view and every morning when we woke up we had breakfast in bed which was nice. We got a good package deal on our rooms because we order them early and we upgrade it to a nicer room.

My Holland America cruise was very pleasant and comfortable. This cruise ship offered all I could ever need plus lots of extras. It is of great quality and value with outstanding customer service and amenities. It was one of the very best catered and comfortable cruises I have taken. I was very pleased.

The itinerary options for this company has a great wide variety of awesome, fun, lavish things to choose from. I would definitely recommend the amenities and services they offered because they have lots of exciting choices. I was thrilled with the quality of my stay. It was fun, the service was great and they were very professional. I highly value the cruise with them and enjoyed the luxury they provided.

The whole cruise was amazing. So much to do on board with pools, movies, games, sports, dancing, and lots of good food. We also had a couple of stops to choose from. The rooms although small were very nice and were cleaned. Beds were very comfortable and I slept great. They were made daily by cleaning staff and they always left a chocolate on the pillows. Our room had a portal window which was nice. All services on board were great, too. If we needed anything we just asked. The room service was especially great any time day or night. Holland America was one of the better priced cruises. The value was pretty good. I did really enjoy myself and would love the chance to do it again in the future.

People who want to enjoy a getaway vacation should take a Holland Cruise. I took a vacation to Canada to enjoy the great weather and travel to a place that I've never been to before. It was a great trip because I got to learn about Canadian culture and explore the French-speaking regions. That way, I could put my French learning into its test. The cruise line's amenities and services were all very helpful and informative. They provided guidance and I felt safe while taking the trip. They were also very communicative, positive, and experienced. I learned a lot from them and they told great stories.

The overnight stay was great. I stayed at a five-star hotel and it made me almost want to live there. So I was little sad when I had to leave and come back home. The hotel actually made me feel like I don't miss my home anymore. My cruise experience was overall adventurous, exciting, and fun. It was probably one of the best cruise vacations that I had in a long time. I recommend anyone to take this cruise as it will not leave you disappointed.

Locations and itinerary choices were good. The rooms and service and facilities are no big surprise but are good enough. We like the arrangement of things. The service and the crew were also nice but the program was not as expected. I wish we have more entertaining programs and more exciting events for all ages. But the overall quality of our stay and the whole trip were good. Considering prices and what we get I think it is fairly nice. We enjoyed the trip and the whole experience and actually we consider to go again some time later. We don't expect to have some seven star hotel like. But the value is definitely over what we spent.

Holland America's itinerary choices are vast, enough for all to enjoy. They have many dates available, with ease of assistance planning. The amenities are something for all from low to high cost, yet all the best quality of services. There's so much to do on board for everyone. Wonderful accommodations. Spacious and amazing. Feels luxurious. Attendants are friendly and helpful. They have all you need and want. Great value. Everyone can enjoy things whether on a budget or splurging, something in all price ranges that don't affect quality. Prices vary yet quality remains top.

I went on the Holland America Line when I was about eight years old, and it was the most fun I've ever recalled having in my life. I remember getting ice cream so often that I knew the soft serve server by name, and hanging out at the video game arcade with my sisters in the teen lounge and hopping back to the kids' room for games and activities for kids my own age. The food was buffet style, and pretty good quality. I remember the Baked Alaska was particularly delicious, and the sushi rolls they served one day were just fine. I may be a little biased, though, considering I'm spoiled when it comes to sushi.

There were even some in-jokes that came to be in my family because of some silly things that happened, such as someone taking over the captain's intercom and talking about the weather in the vaguest possible way. The rooms are just fine, practically the same as a standard hotel. I took a cruise to Alaska of all places, so it was understandably difficult to sleep when the sun wouldn't set until midnight. It was definitely memorable, and I would take another in a heartbeat if only I had the money!

Holland America Cruise have amazing views and great food. There is something for everyone no matter what you want to do. Great shopping experience and even some really awesome shows. The staff is always friendly, courteous and accommodating. The amenities are amazing including spa, massage and great pool side lounging. It was the absolutely most relaxing weeks of my life. It was so peaceful I hated going back to real life. So many friendly people and so much fun. Everyone had the best time. A cruise is a cruise and it can get pricey but if you take the time and budget properly you will have the most amazing experience of your life.

The itinerary was filled with tons of extremely interesting options that people could chose from. It was a ton of fun both sifting through them all and even doing them. The amenities were bountiful included fresh 4-ply toilet paper upgrade for only an extra 24.99 per sheet. If this doesn't sound appealing then I don't know what does. Moreover, the ship is so big that you can't even tell it's moving. The bed was also very comfortable and they had tons of sheets in case you or your child spoils some at night. The price is the only real downside, but it's truly worth for the experience. It was all in all a very fun experience filled with lots of good memories.

It has a lot of choices and some of them are good value. We get to get off the boat and checkout the destination. Everything else on the boat was clean and functional. The staff on the boat was helpful and accommodated our needs. Also, staff always greet their guests with smile and always try to be attentive. The bed was clean, nothing expected. I called room service once and it was good experience. I was able to get what I need from room service in a timely matter. We were on the cruise for 1 week. You can try different type of food on the cruise. There is also different type of activities you can do on there as well. Overall, it was a good value.

This cruise was a good overall value for money with a lot of things included. I like the bar and casino. I also like the food and beverage selection. The buffet is really good, the amenities were decent, ship was nicely furnished, pool was clean and the bar always had good liquor. The cabin was comfortable with a nice view from the porthole and room service if wanted. It was clean and kept up daily. I had a lot of things to do. However, I was disappointed in the cost of some of the shore excursions.

I learned a lot of cool things. It was so much. You will love it and see new and fun things to do and meet new friends. It will be fun with good food and cheap on money and you may also bring things to do like books. It was a nice time. There were things for the kids to do that were kids-friendly. They have very nice people and they help you out if you need help. They have nice room service too. There were nice rooms with a nice bath and swimming pools. They have game night, movie night and a look at the water music night. It's a very good and very relaxing place to stay and they're reasonable with you. They will talk to you but not that much because there's a lot of things to do with your value of the price. So it's actually worked the stick and you'll love it. I was happy and we will do it again.

We wanted to go to Costa Rica so it was a unique experience for my son and we wanted to do some of the tours when the ship was docked. The food was very good and the other passengers were very compatible. The service was excellent in all departments and enjoyed some of the activities provide by the cruise line. The quality was very good. We had gone on several other cruise lines and found this one to be comparable with Celebrity in all aspects from the service provided and amenities and tours, etc. It was reasonable as far as price was concerned and thought we got value for the money spent as the food was good and service excellent and we liked the itinerary as our main goal was to get to Costa Rica and spend time there.

The Itinerary for my trip was extensive and very well detailed. I had so many options and the chance to experience so many different locations and sites. Apart from the very beautiful and comfortable rooms, the thing I loved the most was the dining. It was exquisite and one of the most tasty cuisines I have ever tasted. The entertainment was topnotch and the off cruise excursions were great as well, and I would really recommend this cruise. Overall I had a wonderful, exciting and stress free experience. If I had to do it over again, I would definitely pick this cruise over the other options out there, I feel like I got my money's worth and then some.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The Holland America Line has been transporting guests to exotic destinations for over 140 years and is known for its five-star service and excellent cuisine.

• Ballroom dancing: Guests can take complimentary "Dancing With the Stars" dance lessons from professional dancers, and they can then compete for the title of Cruise Champion and more.
  • Excursions included: All shore excursions are included in the package price for Holland America Cruises.
  • Dining variety: Guests have the option to dine as they wish; they can take a seat in the main dining hall, or they can visit the grill or pizza restaurant on the ship.
  • Cancellation Protection Plan: Guests can purchase cancellation protection, giving them peace mind and a refund should anything come up to prevent them from sailing as planned.
  • Gifts and indulgences: Holland America offers a program that lets guests and family members send gifts such as spa treatments and flowers to create extra special moments while cruising.
  • Best for The Holland America Cruises are best for travelers who want a traditional and elegant experience.

Compare Cruise Lines