Holland America Cruises

Compare Cruise Lines

Research top Cruise Lines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I just recently disembarked from the Panama Canal Central America 19 day cruise. Although I did enjoy the food and the services of the dining rooms and housekeeping, the highlight of my trip was the fitness centre and their knowledgeable staff. Boban was the onboard fitness coordinator and he not only helped me set and attain my goals but also gave me much information to take home with me to continue striving to reach my goals. He was very motivating and non-judging which made for a very positive experience.

I ended up losing 5 pounds during the course of the cruise while still being able to indulge in the ship's plentiful food. He is definitely a great asset to the ship and has very much to offer going forward. I only wish I had a trainer I could utilize back at home. Lastly I will mention the singers and dancers performances were incredible and beautifully choreographed. I had a pleasant experience and hope to come back again someday soon. Hopefully with just as excellent of a trainer so I can continue to feel good and maintain my goals.

I have been on two cruises on Holland America and am about to go on a third to the Baltic. From the sales rep. to the cabin stewards, everyone I interacted with has been exceedingly polite, helpful and professional. The ships and itineraries are fantastic. I don't like gigantic gaudy ships, and HAL's are just right for me. The cruises go to many, many fabulous locales, and often, out of the way destinations, like the Beagle Channel, Falkland Islands, Ushuaia, etc. and the prices for these exotic itineraries are more than reasonable, in my opinion.

The demographic on the cruises I've been on is older, very civilized retired folks from all around the world, and not many children, which fits well with my wishes. The ships I've been on actually have libraries with huge windows and great views, actual books and magazines, as well as computers and WiFi access (must be purchased). I am honestly hooked on HAL and am not even looking around at other cruise lines, as I have been so pleased with every aspect of my experience with HAL. I hope they never change or try to pander to party folks.

My wife and I not only found the dining experience very unsanitary the way they wiped down the tables, but we were very upset when we were to spend 3 days in Sydney, Aus on a post cruise tour. When we got on the tour bus after disembarking the ship, we were told that we were not going to a hotel in Sydney, but the Hotel Carrington In the Blue Mountains, 3 hours away. We had opera tickets and dinner plans with friends in Sydney that night. The Hotel Carrington was a dump, it was under construction, the front entrance was closed and we had to enter through the Kitchen. There was no gym and no air conditioning on a 88' F night. We paid over $2500.00 for this post cruise and Holland America will not reimburse us for this 1 star Hotel.

I would never book a H-A cruise again. They treated us like they just didn't care and kept it a secret that we were not to be in Sydney for 3 nights. The hotel in Sydney was beautiful, but we only got rid of the vacation. This was not right. There are hundreds of hotels in Sydney. There was no excuse. Holland America never explained why the itinerary was changed at the last minute.

Recently had to leave a HAC on the 5th day of a 14 day cruise because of a family medical emergency. Had HAC promoted insurance. Filed claim. 4 weeks later they said they were missing items. 2 hours later they found them. 3 weeks later still no response. Do not make the mistake I made! Avoid buying travel insurance through cruise line.

The trip show me a whole lot about life and how many different places out there. I seen a lot of people along the way and a lot of different animals. I took friends and family along the way and they had such a good time too. It was a fun trip. They had a pool and they had lot of activities, too. It had a casino with slots, table games and other type of gambling activities. I enjoy the spa, the gym and a full exercise room. Also, they had room service and it was some of the best I had yet.

Also, I love the location of the destination and it was beautiful on arrival. It's a place to collect your thoughts, ease your mind and relax. I love the ocean waters and the culture. I would love to move there if it was a residential area but it's not so I would love to visit again. Also, the value was worth every dollar you would put toward this luxury vacation. I just need more stores and other activities. Even though it has a lot to do it never enough.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holland America Cruises?

The cruise was fine but there was not much time between activities to breath or relax, see the sights or really enjoy the cruise or much of anything. It was overpriced for what you get, too. The onboard amenities were fine but need improvement. They could include more amenities and other things like more activities for the children and even the adults. Cleanliness was just average and could be better. The room was cozy but walls too thin and bathroom too small but it was clean and tidy. You get exactly what you pay for. I would still recommend even not perfect. It was a nice trip.

I wanted a vacation that would be relaxing and different and a cruise was what I wanted. The cruise was great and I enjoyed it very much. All amenities were included. The food and drink were all included. The food was great and the cruise was very relaxing. Lodging was more than what I expected. I loved the cruise. I would like to take another cruise that is longer as soon as possible. A world cruise would be great. Can't wait for the next cruise.

A absolutely breathtaking mesmerizing experience. Something everyone should experience in their life. Something that you will remember and talk about the rest of your life. The service and crew and associates are top notch. It seems as if they personalize and cater to everyone's needs in a different way which is remarkable. The quality of my overnight stay was absolutely amazing. I would take the same cruise again in a heartbeat. Everything from the lodging to the staff and food were top notch. For what you pay this seems to be a steal of a deal. It's top quality everything. You feel as if you are a VIP or even a celebrity. Really. This is the best value I have ever had.

This was a dream trip that the staff made exceptional. They always wanted to do more and are very professional. There is a long list of activities to do on board and the staff makes sure that you are getting the most out of your time on board. They are a very high tech cruise line. They are very good at making sure that you get the most of their amenities and services by always asking if they can do more or if there is anything else that you need. The staff always offers even more suggestions for you to experience.

The rooms on the cruise were very stylish and it felt like you were a king for the entire trip. The beds were very comfortable and clean and had plenty of room. It was like staying at a world class hotel for the entire trip. I was actually expecting to pay so much more than what I really did. There is so much extra that you get just for taking the cruise that is already figured into the price. It was an exceptional value.

Many itinerary options at all ports. We went on several tours and had enjoyable experiences. Great time for all, interesting sights and great opportunities to explore and see new sights. The onboard amenities and service were outstanding. The stewards were very helpful and attentive. The pools and shops were great and the coffee bar was very welcome. The picture gallery was fine. The meals were fabulous. The entertainment was amazing. We enjoyed the whole cruise experience and we had an awesome trip.

Holland America Cruises have so many great options that we didn't choose an itinerary, we let things happen and just went with it. It ended up being the most fun my wife and I have ever had together, it truly was a once in a lifetime experience. You get a lot of bang for your buck. Dollar for Dollar. Any possible thing you can think to do; from dining and drinking to the endless choices of entertainment, you cannot go wrong with any choice.

WOW!! The bed was truly the most comfortable we have ever slept on, we slept more sound than any night at home. The rooms were stately and had every possible amenity we could ever want or need and the views from our room and our balcony was spectacular, too. I highly recommend ordering room service for at least one meal, you won't be disappointed. The valet we had was tremendously helpful, he catered to our every need.

They kept us very busy with some great activities and had time to explore. There were so many things, swimming, concerts, bingo and dinner dancing. The people knew what they are doing. I also loved how our rooms were fresh each and every day and they have nice beds, beautiful layout of the rooms. And loved the ocean and the cleanliness of the boat. Service people were always friendly and happy. I have never felt more welcomed and made you feel right at home. They went above and beyond things, if could I would have stayed a month. The prices were a little bit higher, but somehow worth the price.

The itinerary for the Holland America Cruise was very exciting because there were a lot of great options and activity and very attractive. It was never overwhelming or too little to choose. It was simple and easy to decide. The amenities were of plenty. Lots of spas, swimming pools, dance halls. There were great dining and beverage selections, too. Breakfast, lunch and dinner was provided.

The overnight stay was very pleasant and comforting. We had wonderful service with luxurious rooms, superb entertainment and great televisions and wifi as well as soft pillows and a great ocean view. The cruise experience was well worth the money spent. It was reasonably priced and the cost was not hidden from me nor was it a surprise. It was all included in the beginning.

This is my first time and I'm glad I'm within this cruise. The itinerary is quite clear and it's something you should stick when travelling. All the information that I need is already in there and I just need to be in that place and time. The amenities, the people, the services it's all great. The beverages, food and the scenery it's superb. The best thing about their services is the room. It's so wonderful and splendid. The value they are sharing to their customer is awesome and worth it.

The shore excursions were so much fun. We toured places & learned about different cultures. The length of time at each port was just enough so that we could do the excursions without feeling pressed for time. There was something for everyone on the cruise ship so that when we were out to sea going from one island to the next we were never bored.

The ship was gorgeous & so was our room. We could look out our window and see dolphins playing together in the ocean. The nightly turn down service was great. The staff assigned to us made the trip feel like we were at home. Anything we wanted or needed, they were there to deliver it to us. Also, the staff went out of their way to make the cruise extra special & very memorable.

The food served was delicious and you could eat all you wanted & not be charged extra for more food. Also, the spa treatments were wonderful. So relaxing & it was nice to treat myself with a wonderful massage & seaweed wrap. Room service was fast, friendly, & accurate every time. The shopping & gambling on the ship was out of this world. Considering it was all inclusive, except for alcoholic beverages & shore excursions, the value was exceptional. They had so much to do that it was impossible to do everything. It was definitely worth the money we spent.

Know WHO is caring for your parents and loved ones at sea. And this matter should concern all, but has been addressed by NONE. I am a medical doctor practicing in Massachusetts. My elderly parents, 84 and 85, embarked on their sixth Grand World Voyage in January. Despite their respective ages, they had few chronic medical conditions.

About four days into their four month cruise, my mother fell ill with a GI related illness and quickly developed all the clinical signs of dehydration. She would visit the ship's doctor and infirmary 5 times during her TEN days on the cruise ship. Per my father (a retired cardiologist), the "doctor" spent merely moments with her and recommended that the nauseated and dehydrated patient taking fluids by mouth (per os).

By day ten, my mother was unsteady, weakened, and not urinating. At MY insistence, an IV was placed and hydration commenced. Basic laboratory values revealed she was in acute and life-threatening renal failure, K+=7.0, Cr=14, Na=120. Look up the values, they are scary. She disembarked in San Diego and was hospitalized for 6 days and necessitated hemodialysis. Their cruise is now over given her medical condition, and in lieu of spending a winter in the sunshine, she is receiving dialysis in the cold northeast.

In my world, as a US doctor, this is simply malpractice - failure to assess appropriately and intervene with the simplest form of medical intervention, an intravenous line, a simple nursing procedure! With early intervention, I am confident that my parents would still be cruising (probably their last) and not spending their days at UConn Medical Center.

My repeated attempts to find out the licensure, malpractice history, specialty and continuing medical education (all public record for US physicians, including myself) has been met with hang ups, call transfers and downright belligerence on the part of Holland America. My seething and frustration continues. While information on the ship's captain is obtainable, nothing can be derived about the independent contractors they refer to as "doctors". Travelers beware!!

There was many options to choose from and there's something for everyone. There's sight-seeing, shopping, eating, and taking in the local culture. No one will be disappointed. We had small children with us, and they were satisfied. Whatever you need and/or want, you will be able to get it. Also, everyone was nice and helpful, and they had a smile on their face 24/7. Everything was so clean and fresh. They truly take pride in their ship. Overall the value is beyond what you get. Everything will blow away your expectations.

It was a great time, me and my family enjoyed that so much. Everything worked out very good more than what we expected, the places was awesome, all kinds of fun, music, etc. The prices was so much affordable, the service is awesome, you just feel like a prince. The team are very friendly. I loved this time on board, wonderful food and drinks. The quality of overnight stay is awesome, I love night life, there is so much many things to do, and when it's time for bed it was so calm at my cabin, this is a dream. The value was real worthy, I felt like I got what I paid for from the begging to the end, it is truly a super stars services, super clean and super fancy. I missed this so much, planning to go this coming year. Yay!

One had many options to prebook or to choose from a la cart prior to arrival. I chose to review all amenities, activities available prior and plan each day at the time. All amenities which included furnishing, decor, arrangements, dining, entertainment and events. Services included all inclusive from in room to on board to off board activities all rearranged. The quality of the stay from in room and on board were higher than one would normally expect. The most notable items especially food and drink exceeded my expectations and most if all would concur. The perceived value as defined as the cost versus met expectations were good although on a comparative basis were higher than other lines.

It was fantastically large ship and there were a lot of different things to do on it. I was there for three days and I enjoyed every minute of it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to get away and relax. Their amenities was so so. I have had a lot better but I don't really want to complain. I was not astounded by it but it was okay. I would go again if I had the opportunity. Overall it was great soft bed, silk sheets, great dinner and wonderful breakfast. Lovely Jacuzzi to soak in and a lot of other great features. It was worth what I paid for it.

After cruising on another line, Holland is clearly a top provider of a cruise that's both luxurious onboard and interesting in port. For the same price as a Mexican resort, you get better food, better lodging, amazing views and better safety for the same amount of time. We booked all but one shore excursion ourselves. There was some variety of on boat activities but the one Holland excursion on shore we did we found to be boring. Our balcony had enough room for us to relax and enjoy watching the ocean. We enjoyed having a variety of dining hours to choose from as well as late night snacks. The food was exceptional and exposed me to new tastes. We were also impressed with the gallery of art on the ship and all the staff was well trained. The room steward was always available with whatever we needed.

Holland America Cruises had helicopter tours that made stops on glaciers and also had fishing trips for a reasonable amount of money and a few land tours available also. They had a casino I liked going to, although the payouts could have been better. The rest of the time I was by the pool and not much of anything else. They had very nice rooms with beds that were very nice although the bathrooms could have been a bit larger and the lighting was very good. The food was always very good and available whenever we were hungry whether it was day or night.

I've sailed with Holland America from Boston to Montreal and loved everything in between, reveling in Halifax's historic town, Green Gables on Prince Edward Island, and the amazing and beautiful city of Quebec. Sailing on Holland America, you are offered not just food and entertainment, but also you are welcome to find out about what you are seeing. Experts are there to answer your questions and speak with you so you know what you are looking at.

We did not choose a balcony room, which I heard were wonderful, but the one step below that and found it all comfortable. The room's a good size for two people. I loved looking out my window to the sea every morning. We sailed with family and friends and loved meeting in the different lounges that were plentiful and excellent. The food was superior. The staff were so incredibly helpful and kind as well, and seemed sincere too! I have never enjoyed a cruise line like I've enjoyed Holland America.

Because there are the different levels of rooms to stay in, it is very possible to be able to afford a cruise on nearly any budget that you have. The rest of the ship is wide open to you, regardless of your bank account: the ship activities, restaurants, and entertainment. Alcoholic beverages are extra costs, but with care you can work around that as well. You don't even have to buy shore excursions. You can just walk off the ship and explore on your own for free. Cruising is a great value vacation, and you get to see new things. I would definitely sail on Holland America again.

Holland America had a lot of stuff to choose from to do, and swimming, play ping-pong, dancing. The whole staff was great, and loved all you can eat for breakfast lunch and dinner. They had a nice swimming pool that you can Swimming in, a few different restaurants to choose from which were Italian, Japanese, pizza and stuff like that. They also had an area where you can gamble, so have fun playing poker, blackjack, and slots. Had a great time on board, have fun, and was relaxing at times so if you wanted to. Could do everything on the boat that you would do on land. The value of the cruise experience was very good, we all got our money's worth. I do in all the activities that they supplied for us to do.

The three day itinerary with my wife was memorable. The services were at the highest level, fast and efficient. The staff generally trained and experienced and are experts in their field. Rest was on top! All this unforgettable atmosphere, nature, quality and good service, top-level accommodation. In general, satisfied with everything, I recommend to all beginners.

You are waited on and entertained from the beginning to the end. You have a Casino to play in, while at sea. Many shops and games on board. Delicious food choices and different entertainment each night. The Ports of Call you visit are picked with great care and let you have a taste of other cultures. It's a home away from home without a bunch of packing and unpacking. The quality of your stay is whatever you want it to be. If you want breakfast in bed, just ask for it. If you have a special celebration while at sea, just request to have it taken care of. The crew on a Cruise Ship is there to make your stay something to remember.

Overall a cruise is an all in one experience and probably the most practical way to travel for everything you get. If I could afford it, I would take at least two cruises a year. Study where you would like to visit, how long you can be gone and how formal or relaxing you would like the trip to be. Be open to new things, people and places. Pick a table for 8 or 10 if you would like to meet new people. It is delightful to meet people of new places and cultures. To me cruising is the best trip you can do.

It was not what I expected. The food was just ok. Did not like waiting in line to get into the dining room. The hallways too narrow. Rooms and the balcony could use some updating. The service was good though. Also getting on the ship was a long process. Did not feel luxury at all. The itinerary was ok and the extra excursions were very expensive. I thought the amenities were ok but not great. It was also a little boring. I felt that the overnight stay was average, even a little bit below average. I would rather pay a little more and really feel the comfort, the luxury, the amenities, the activities, the excursions, the food. I want to feel as if I am staying in a luxury hotel. The value, I guess, was ok for what I experienced. This was my first cruise, and was not experienced with cruising. I did receive what I paid for, but was not satisfied.

We experienced the Bill Gaither Alaska Cruise and this was on our bucket list and we met so many of the gospel artists that we had been watching and loving and singing their music for so long. If we had never left the ship, the gospel music was glorious. Anything in Alaska was a treat for us to see; the natives, the beautiful mountainous scenery, the glaciers, the vast amount of American Bald Eagles everywhere, the totem poles, and their particular way of life. We would love to go back and spend more time. Anything you choose to do there is an experience in itself. We needed Passports, though, because one of the ports of call is Victoria, BC.

Because this was our first cruise, we were amazed at the size of the ship let alone the wonderful amenities offered onboard. It is like a floating city with shops. Our room was just enough for what we needed; a place to sleep and shower. It was very nice and neither of us had any trouble sleeping in the queen bed. We were only there to sleep and shower because we were either off the ship or eating in the wonderful restaurants or attending concerts. The stewards who made up our room would leave a little napkin animal on our bed every night along with chocolates.

The food was wonderful and so generous. The evening meals were especially wonderful along with the "formal" nights and there were so many sets of silverware. Our table was in the back of the ship and we could watch the trail of the ship's engines on the water. It was a wonderful experience for us land-locked people and we still talk about this experience and it is something we will never forget. The cruise was well worth all of the planning and to us, it was worth a million!!

I was proactively contacted and asked in detail how I wanted my itinerary to go and given lots of options. I was engaged in and enjoyed the process and it made me look forward to the trip. The amenities and services were really great and up to par I think. There was a very large selection and even the a la cart menu was appealing. I had a great stay. There was always something fun or interesting or inviting going on and I enjoyed that. I would recommend based on this alone probably. I think overall it was a good value. I did some comparison shopping and looked at different options and feel I got one of the best deals with them.

It was fast and easy to choose itinerary options. Holland America had lots of options to choose from, which means an option for everyone. I enjoyed their amenities and services. There was something for everyone on board. I had a great time using their services. The quality of my stay was top notch. Holland America really knows how to make their customers feel valued and appreciated. I would cruise with them again for sure. Holland America has great value. They have very competitive pricing for their cruises.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The Holland America Line has been transporting guests to exotic destinations for over 140 years and is known for its five-star service and excellent cuisine.

• Ballroom dancing: Guests can take complimentary "Dancing With the Stars" dance lessons from professional dancers, and they can then compete for the title of Cruise Champion and more.
  • Excursions included: All shore excursions are included in the package price for Holland America Cruises.
  • Dining variety: Guests have the option to dine as they wish; they can take a seat in the main dining hall, or they can visit the grill or pizza restaurant on the ship.
  • Cancellation Protection Plan: Guests can purchase cancellation protection, giving them peace mind and a refund should anything come up to prevent them from sailing as planned.
  • Gifts and indulgences: Holland America offers a program that lets guests and family members send gifts such as spa treatments and flowers to create extra special moments while cruising.
  • Best for The Holland America Cruises are best for travelers who want a traditional and elegant experience.

Compare Cruise Lines