3.85/5

224 Holland America Cruises Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 21, 2019

Third year in a row on the Holland America Koningsdam and I would say all is good. As we have been expecting good quality and even better service we can confirm receiving both good quality and good service. We received what we were promised at an affordable price i.e. quality to price ratio... good. The vessel is only three years old and holding well. The decor is simple to say the least and could use much improvement in the art department. If a passenger is expecting quality art throughout the ship they will be disappointed.

The onboard entertainment and nightly shows have been steadily improving (little more work needed) over the years with comedians, dancers and musicians. The main theater (world stage) is professional in every sense of the word and can accommodate the most demanding of performances with light show and sound equipment so I would not be surprised if good to exceptional quality performers will be sourced in the near future (hint). The Lincoln stage and the Rolling Stone Rock Room are small but have great acoustics and great performers... everything from B.B.King's to classical and rock, all worth the visit.

The ship has all of the typical amenities and service one would expect from a large cruise ship catering to a more mature and refined clientele. The main open eateries situated on the 9th floor called the lido is where you will find yourself if hunger sets in throughout the day but don't be surprised if they close between 3:30 and 5:00pm for cleanup and refreshment of food and staff. All in all a good cruise at good value if one is looking to rest and relax without the commercialization effects one would find among other cruise lines.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Jan 27 thru Feb 6, 2019. Excellent service in all departments. Very good entertainment even if it is repeated on trips. Dancers and singers are very good. Island Magic steel band exceptionally good. BB King lounge entertainment excellent. Food in Lido area very good and in the Dining room also good. Music selection over the speakers was just plain terrible. The boats age group is definitely over 65 not 21. Music selection the cabins just plain bad for this age group. Decor leaves a lot to be desired in the public areas. Staff in dinning areas and room service are really excellent.

A great ship for the "older" crowd with no kids or very few kids and lots of things to do. Health area absolutely fantastic and a big shout out to Albano in the gym who is very knowledgeable and helpful. Truly a great trip and number 12 cruise for us with 2 of them on HA line. Embarkation and disembarkation absolutely smooth and quick. It was a pleasant surprise to be dining with the Chief Engineer "Fitzwarren" and "Queen" from Guest services. Thank You Zuiderdam.

Get expert buying tips about Cruise Lines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Felt comfortable on this ship. Much smaller than ones I had been in before. Went to Alaska and were able to get very close to icebergs. Larger ships were not able to do that. Food excellent. Staff knowledgeable and friendly. It was not a big ”party” ship and had older folks and families on the cruise.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Among the lines sailing through Alaska, Holland America's ships are preferable because they're smaller and so house fewer passengers than their behemoth competitors. This, in turn, permit crew members to shower Holland America's guests with far more attention than the ship's manifests on liners more than twice than their passenger capacity.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Crew was great, the dining room staff catered to all our needs and the wine selection was more than adequate. We had an outside room with a veranda and the room was spacious enough. We used the cleaning service and it was great, we had our clothes the next day. The room attendants kept the quarters immaculate. I really can't say enough. We love Holland America. The food was also good and plentiful as is with most cruises.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holland America Cruises?

Original review: May 25, 2019

The captain of Holland America kicked out my family members in Canada without lawful cause, threatened them to call the Canadian police and have them arrested unless camera content was deleted from their cellphone or cellphone was confiscated by Holland America. This hostile situation started in Alaska, when my family posted in social media images and videos of an injured passenger, showing the staff's lack of care/accountability. My family complaint about the same staff members' attitude as they were rude and did not deliver pre-paid services. Captain called my family into an office and confronted my family with the staff member, who denied all facts including the injured passenger, calling them liars.

My family is active in social media, and they shared their trip experiences including the above and their opinion of the staff's member character based on their experience. My family was kicked out in Canada, with minutes notice, no refund of unused services, no accommodations (flight tickets to embark San Francisco, hotel, etc), humiliated and treated as criminals by Holland America staff members. The reason given by the Captain: my family posted in social media homophobic comments about the staff member (which it is not true). One of the great benefits of social media and internet, is that there is a way to show facts. Apparently, this is an inconvenience for Holland America members. Feel free to reach out to me via email if you need additional details or validate this post. **

This review is based on facts between 5/16-5/23/2019. Unfortunately for this type of case, mediation is the only remedy and has to be held in Washington, making the cost of persuing reimbursement and damages unbearable specially for international passengers. The cruise line is aware and therefore knows that their unlawful actions will have no reprecutions. Discrimination, abuse, financial/emotional/health damage are some of the few things that have marked my family for the rest of their lives.

Original review: April 29, 2019

We booked a Hawaiian cruise which was going to be "trip of a lifetime" because I have always wanted to go to Hawaii. We didn't purchase insurance because the cruise and airfare were very expensive and we didn't anticipate what happened that wasn't our fault. We flew from McAllen, Tx to DFW and due to weather, they grounded all flights so we couldn't get to San Diego. We wanted a voucher for a later cruise, but Holland America said the only thing they would do was fly us to Honolulu to meet the ship. We decided to do that, even though we would miss the first 6 days of the cruise. They supposedly made the arrangements but when we got to the airport they had nothing in their system. There were no other flights as it was Easter weekend. This is very poor service. It wouldn't have cost them anything to give us a voucher for a future cruise. We are out over $4000 and will never do business with them again.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I took a Cruise to Alaska July 2019 on the Westerdam. A "Kristen" (do not have her card any longer) made the presentation on the cruise which included the Diamond International company. With all the praise and the very well priced diamonds that Kristen presented to us, I went to their Juneau store to look at their diamonds specifically the Blue Diamonds. With her recommendations and their "slick" salesman tactics, I purchased one. After wearing it a maximum of 8 to 10 times and only to church, I found that four diamonds had fallen out already. I hardly wore the ring enough to constituent something like this happening. I called D.I. immediately and complained asking for my full refund.

Unfortunately, they would not give it to me, but asked that I send back to their NYC location to have fixed. After I had to pay my own postage to send it back, I received the ring back. Must to my disgust, the "yellow gold" ring was now silver. Contacted them again and the person I had talked with was unsure what I was talking about. I sent her pictures from the beginning of what it looked like and it was yellow gold. Ugh...can you believe this nonsense. I had it fixed in my home area and sent them the bill. They did pay for it, BUT so, so disappointed in what happened. When I had the ring appraised it was half the price I paid for it. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. NEVER, NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL....WHAT A RIP-OFF. Holland America should be ashamed of themselves for even having do a presentation on this.

Original review: March 27, 2019

The crew were extremely attentive and friendly. As a diabetic, our waiter (we had the same one every night) actually got excited to be able to provide me foods that were delicious and were acceptable to my dietary restrictions, especially coming up with sugarless desserts.

Original review: March 26, 2019

We are frequent cruisers and have had wonderful experiences on Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines. On our first trip with Holland America on the Oosterdamnation, we found it a Titanic Rated Cruise. It began with with us reaching our room 4128 and not finding our water package. We called guest services to find The representative named “Joy” who came to know us on a first name basis from our constant communication with her. Unfortunately, even with her joyful mannerisms we rarely had our concerns addressed. After 5 calls we had our water package delivered but that too was wrong and had to be replaced. Our fountain drink package was also not received and had to be purchased at the bar. Perhaps they were trying to tell us something because in was watered down cola, only available at bars and not worth the purchase. Nevertheless, it did taste better than the piss poor lemonade or ice tea.

We called Joy to request towels and tissue for our room. After five requests we went out searching for our Stewart and finally found tissues and towels on another floor that we obtained and brought back to the room ourselves. In spite of giving our Stewart an initial tip when we finally met him (on top of the 15 percent that is mandatorily charged) and asking for his help regarding the air conditioning that was not working, service did not get any better. After five additional requests to Joy a technician was sent to the room. We met her and checking the air with her reader she said that she would try to get someone to fix it. We never did get anyone to fix it.

We spoke to others that had the same issue and they too had no resolve. We were offered a fan but declined due to the enormity of the device in an already small room. We spent most of the cruise somewhere else or on our balcony ( the balcony we had to get a broom to sweep it for ourself) other to avoid the air issue. If that wasn’t enough, we found soiled men’s underwear and other clothing under our bed from previous passengers and towel animal creations that were stored and reused each cruise in the under the bed drawer. The food in the dining room was excellent, however the Lido deck food had a lot to be desired with poor taste and quality, small portions and assortments. Trays are not provided to make each passenger travel several times or juggle plates to a table.

The onboard entertainment is limited with decent main stage shows and upbeat jazz. The piano bar singers were off key and would never place in a child’s talent show. The tiny casino was very limited in payouts but gave guests playing a thoughtful plate of complementary chocolate covered straws the last night. The port faculties owned by the cruise lines were exceptional with clean beaches and pools and were four star and the embarking and debarking schedules should be mirrored by other lines. Nevertheless, from our experience we would rate the ship as a trip on the Titanic, a total disaster also referred as our first and last cruise on the “Oosterdamnation.” We will stick with Royal Carribean lines.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Booked a Vista Suite (A) cabin (#7046) on the Navigation Deck of the Zaandam for a South American cruise in February 2019. The ceiling noise from the deck above was unbelievably loud all hours of the day/night and made sleep virtually impossible. Complaints to our stewards, guest services and some officers on the ship went unheeded. This was our fourth cruise with Holland and most likely our last. The staff and crew of the Zaandam did not meet the normal standards of our previous cruise experiences with Holland.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Had a few issues with Westerdam Ship. Alarm NOT answered for 25 minutes. Fled to Customer services to raise alarm. Left overnight in soaking wet room with dirty water pouring through light fitment in the ceiling. Delayed in disembarking at Hong Kong trying to deal with complaints, therefore missed our transfer. Excursions poor for amount paid. Language difficulty. Told just to as representative to repeat business. To no avail. Excursions to Cambodia POOR, FILTHY, Taken to a beach on the shuttle service provided by Holland America Rats on beach. Dead body lying by roadside. No one seemed concerned. The above was raised with the Cruise Liner, their response $100 credit on next cruise. Very saddened by response of such a cruise liner. On a better note, staff on ship very nice, polite and well mannered.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

The cruise was an awful disappointment. The ports of call were miserable, nothing much there, we missed the third port in Mexico. My jewelry disappeared from my cabin while we were at dinner. At least one if not two crew members were in there. NOTHING WAS DONE. And, more importantly, no one cared. These were my things, and through no fault of mine they are gone - some belonged to my Mother. Our table seating in the dining room was not good. We requested a new table, and although the dining room was about 1/3 empty we were seated at a table for 8 with no one else there. It was as if we were being punished, it was a rather embarrassing and humiliating experience. Also, the food wasn't very good. It was supposed to be a Christmas cruise. There was very little in the way of Xmas activities or other entertainment.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Holland America notified us that they were changing the embarkation port in Shanghai from the international cruise terminal in Shanghai to the Wusong Port terminal about an hour outside of Shanghai in the middle of nowhere. All our plans to enjoy the sights in Shanghai and walk along the Bund are out. The new embarkation port is looks to be in an industrial area that has nothing to offer. The HA representatives I complained to were not sympathetic and seemed to be used to this type of complaint.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We are warning ALL to not take the OOSTERDAM Ship as their ventilation system for most of the Veranda Cabins are not functionally correctly. Many people had emergency respiratory problems and bronchitis. You can check online about this ship's ventilation system... We warn you strongly. Yet, they keep sailing it. Many people had no A/C, others had too much and others had too little. Many people caught lung infections... HAL continues to sail. The Officers onboard hide knowing the problems. I'm glad to hear that State of Washington Health Dept announced an investigation. There is something wrong with this Ship compared to others we've been on. Read online about this ship and its ventilation health danger. Some were sleeping in the lounge area to find relief.

Also, one more thing, on most of HAL ships, they cut back on servers who are authorized to serve Beverage Package customers... you cannot find the servers. Not all Staff can serve those customers. Also, they turned the Crow's Nest and other common areas into sales promotion desks so it's becoming a problem on HAL regarding them pushing sales everywhere and taking away passengers areas. The only place to get gourmet coffee is to go way over to Crow nest area which is designed to push you into salespeople.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

During transition from Anchorage, AK to the ship a laptop computer was smashed. It looked like it had been run over by a truck. The Holland America settlement was a pittance compared to the $2,000 cost of repairs. Never Holland America again!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My husband got the swine flu on the 6th day of a 10 day land and sea cruise. He was quarantined by a dr in AK and I took a note back to the cruise director to see if they could help us out. She said you can stay at the hotel for the 2 days before we could fly out. We purchased airfare thru them and was told nothing they could do. When we got back home I called Holland and explained the situation and was told that we decided on our own to leave so they would not give us back the 2nd half of our trip. It cost us over $1000 to fly home. I did have travel insurance so I got some money back but I will never use Holland again and they used to be our favorite. Customer service is out the window.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Boarding and disboarding were, of course tedious. Some of the stops seemed to overwhelm the local ability to accommodate the ship. However, staff, crew and accommodations were uniformly great. (BYOB)

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Was a great cruise, though the entertainment was just "ok". Food was wonderful and service was great. Due to high winds in a port, we were unable to make our last stop at a port. Disappointing. But better safe than sorry.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

14 day cruise and land tour. First, the ship went right by Tom Sawyer glaciers, which they said we would cruise. So, we never got to see glaciers. We got off at Skagway, 2 days there was not needed. They make you put your luggage out early in the morning at every stop, then you wait around to go somewhere or do something. We watched them throw our luggage around every day. They ripped my largest bag and now only want to give me $100 for it. They told us the wrong Hotel we were supposed to stay at in Seattle when we got back, so we had to run all over the place to get the right Hotel. Holland America does not care one bit about my problems with them.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

The staff is very nice & friendly. It's a more subdued cruise; not many partiers, teenagers or children, or if so, they're behaved children. The food is good and a good variety.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Were told we had open seating for dinner when we booked the cruise. The first night we showed up we were told everything was booked for second seating. Talked to clerks on the phone and asked for a supervisor to call and give us an explanation. No call backs but we received the usual invitation for supposedly Holland America important supporters. I went to the captain and told him of my problem and he said he would take care of it. Nothing happened and I found out later that a large organization had all the good dinner times. I will never cruise with these people again after previously enjoying four previous cruises.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Holland American Cruise Line is not organizing. I paid $200 to use the spa. I put my belong in a locker wear a robe and get into the spa. Before I got in the steam room I hang my robe there with my locker key and my glass. After 5 minutes my robe gone. A passenger told me that he saw a staff took it. Until I went to get new key I found out that all my belongs gone.

I blame the spa on Holland American Cruise responsible for my lost. 1. Because they don’t have video camera to see who’s going in and out from the dressing room. 2. The key system not fit to a small locker room. It’s easy to opened locker, just bypass the card in front of 30 lockers and see which one open. 3. They hire unprofessional and not loyal employers.

When I submit my claim lost to the administration. They ignored my claim. I keep call them daily until finally after 30 days I got answer that they decided to denied my claim. The company trying to save money on small think and the passengers paid the price. No wonder them rate so low because passenger unhappy with this company.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Oosterdam extras in Neptune suite - We are not new to H.A. It WAS always our favorite. We have always had a Neptune suite, but these are our complaints...rugs were dirty, sink was not set up... no towels, no soap. Had to ask 2X for stationary, never had a room steward/butler, shower curtain leaks (ended up using the tub shower), had to ask repeatedly for a paper, no TV. Arrived late, wasn't told of the Gala Night, couldn't see the show, meal was 2 hrs long, missed the show, Canaletto not worth it! No table in suite to eat from...had to sit on floor for a meal, binoculars didn't work, mini bar charge for water???

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

We were forced to cancel a 3 week vacation to San Diego, one of those weeks being a cruise on Holland America. A devastating breast cancer diagnosis, surgery and treatment plans forced our cancellation. Marriott Hotels, our car rental, and Delta Air all worked with us and credited us our full amounts and allowed us to book at a later date when I am healthy to travel. Holland America would not work with us! Granted, we did not take out insurance, but REALLY! Holland America... we did not ask for a refund, we just wanted to be able to re-schedule our cruise to a time when I am healthy and able to travel. Very disappointed with your customer service!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

What a lousy cruising experience! Holland America does not care about the safety, welfare or comfort of their passengers. I was injured and so were two other people. Equipment was malfunctioning, floors were wet and slippery, and the staff in charge were apathetic and insensitive. There was no accountability for the passengers who were hurt. They used to be a good cruise line, but they have eliminated the amenities, as well as safety concerns. Quality of services have diminished in their spa, restaurants, customer service and Guest Relations.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I just returned from a 14 day Holland America cruise that started in Singapore, then to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Hong Kong. I have been on over 20 cruises with every line but Princess. Some were better than others but this one was awful. Air Conditioning in very hot countries was not functioning properly. Stateroom was hot but dining room temperature routinely above 32 Celsius, 90 Fahrenheit. The plumbing system was faulty. Numerous cabins flooded and public toilets routinely closed all throughout the ship. The public areas around the pool were not clean. Flies and webs plus tables soiled. The entertainment included a 45 minute show by a harmonica player, a 45 minute BBC film, a 45 minute one man band, and a 45 minute illusionist whose illusions failed and juggled poorly.

Each port was docked in trash hauling or container loading facilities. They were in what was reported to be in dangerous areas and they were remote. Aesthetically very ugly. Hot tub at one point not operational but after fixing they left the dirt that had accumulated in the pool. The showers in the staterooms emitted just a trickle of water. Food while good had sparse selections. Help to get served was limited.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Guest services are liars. We were booked on Holland America for my parents 60th anniversary. The day before, my dad a major heart attack and was hospitalized and operated on. We called Holland America immediately, and guest relations explained we did not take the insurance and we fully understood that, but then they promised us a future cruise if we booked by a certain date. We thanked them immensely and hung up the phone to deal with our family emergency. When we called Holland America back to book the cruise before the date they provided to us, they said no notes were in our file and we were not getting this future credit. This was 4 cabins, over $12,000.00 and they didn't even blink. Lesson to learn: always take the insurance policy out when dealing with Holland America or you are SCREWED. I would never use this cruise line again.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

We sailed on August 19 – 26 on the Maasdam departing from Montreal and traveling to Boston. The first four nights went well until August 23. We realized the carpet was wet right outside the washroom inside our room (504), a room for four people. We thought we may have spilled water on the carpet from showering so we asked the house steward to look further into this issue as well as the slow draining of the shower.

When we woke up on the morning of August 24, we stepped on the carpet and it was soaking wet, so we reported it to the house steward to check out and dry the room and we left for our breakfast. When we come back to our room, we noticed that there was maintenance staff looking at the pipes and said that the pipes were leaking and that was the issue and that they will fix it. The house steward said that they would put a blower in our room and we left for the land tour in Halifax.

We came back from the land tour around 4:00 pm. Once we opened the door, we could smell a very foul sewage odour from the washroom and the carpet was still soaking wet even with a blower blowing inside the room. When we stepped on the carpet, we could see water pooling around our shoes. We went up to guest services and talked to a customer service representative there (her name may be Teresa). Our frustration started from here.

We explained to her the situation and needed the situation to be resolved as soon as possible to prepare for our Gala night. She checked on the repair report for our room and told us the problem was that there was water blockage and it was fixed. She mentioned it will need time in order for the carpet to dry, but we should be able to sleep there tonight. We asked her to come to our room to check out the issue and she checked our room and insisted that the situation was not serious and that there were more serious issues that happened before including flooding that was to the ankles. We told her that we cannot sleep in that room anymore due to the sewage odour and the contamination of the air because of it. She told us that we can use room 500 (2 person room) and room 690 (2 person room) after the room was cleaned.

We needed to move right away to a prepared 4-person room so that we could prepare for the gala night and she mentioned there were NO other rooms available and that all rooms were SOLD OUT including suites. We could not believe that the entire ship was sold out and I raised my voice after we learned everything is sold out and our issue could not be resolved right away. Teresa then said she could not deal with us because I raised my voice and so we went back up to guest services to talk to the manager. After talking to the manager, he stated that room 500 and room 690 was our only option.

Since we had no other options, we used room 500 to prepare for our gala night and waited for room 690 to be cleaned. While using room 500, we found out that it also has flooding at the entrance of the room as the carpet was also wet. In the mean time, an officer from the engineering department came to check on the problem and mentioned that the flooding could not be fixed because water was retained beneath the carpet and the water level was shifted when the ship rocked and the carpet became soaked again. Therefore, this was an issue that could not be fixed in a couple of days.

Before our gala dinner, we had to rush back to guest services to let them know we could not use room 500. This time we talked to Teresa’s supervisor, Ray.

After talking to Ray, he showed us another room because room 500 was wet. He showed us room 750 on the floor below us. Room 750 was okay except it was a two-person room and it was on a different floor, so four people would be split up into two different rooms and that could not happen because we would have a minor without her parents in one room. We also mentioned to Ray that the air ventilation and circulation in room 690 was not working as the room smelled musty and there was little air flow coming from the vents. We left the issues for Ray to resolve and we left for the gala night.

After the gala dinner, we went back to Ray and he gave us another 2-person room (696) and that we can also keep 690. Then we realized that room 696 can actually fit four people instead of two and the air conditioning was working perfectly. We also realized that room 696 was a room that was vacant during our entire negotiation with the cruise line. Ray told us that room 696 could not be transformed into a four person room at that time because the technician that brings the Pullman down were already off their shift for the day and that we would have to wait until the next day in order to have the Pullman down. Ray suggested that we use room 696 and room 690 (poorly-circulated room) for the night.

My daughters did not feel comfortable staying in room 690 because of the musty smell and the poor circulation in the room as this could cause illness. Therefore, the four of us stayed in a room that was only equipped for three people. One of my daughters did not sleep well that night because she slept on the crack between the two twin beds as three of us shared the combined queen sized bed. We also did not sleep until 1:00 am that night due to all the negotiations and movement of our belongings between rooms.

In the meantime, room 504 (our original room) had three blowers surrounding it to dry the room: 2 blowers and a wet vacuum inside room 504 and one blower in the corridor. Room 500 also had blower in the room to dry the carpet. The next day (August 25), room 696 was well prepared with all four beds ready to sleep. We had no problems on that night, the night before we left the ship. The manager refunded us $450 for all our troubles.

We understand all ships would have issues especially older ship like Massdam, however we believed if this situation was handled in a more professional manner, we would not be stressed out and losing a good portion of our 7 days cruise time to relax and enjoy ourselves. This is our 7th time cruising and first time with Holland America. We never experienced any unpleasant situation with other cruise lines before.

We need to file a formal complaint with the guest services representative (who’s name we believe is Teresa, she also performed in the Filipino crew performance night). We think that she should not work in the front desk for the following reasons: 1. She lied to us by stating that the ship was sold out, but there were rooms available. 2. She did not show professionalism because she did not think our problem was dire enough and she aggregated more frustration within us by downplaying our issues. 3. She could not handle the situation because once we got angry by her aggravation, she said she could not talk to us. 4. Before she checked our issue in our room, she whispered something in Philippine to her Philippine colleague in guest services in front of us. We felt that it was a nasty comment and this is a very rude gesture.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I went on the Maasdam from Montreal to Quebec! It was awful! The ship is a health hazard! I was in a room where black soot was coming out of the air conditioning unit. After complaining and being told that they would vacuum the system it still happened! They said it would have to be corrected when they returned to port! Then we were put in another room! They decided to paint the balcony in this room! The paint smelled, the paint scrapings were all over the balcony flooring, it was disgusting and we were not able to use the balcony! They gave us a $200 credit!! However it was so distasteful when they continued the scraping of paint and the filth outside of the cabin!! An awful experience!! The front office was apologetic but said they were told the painting had to be done! This ship is a health hazard!

Holland America Cruises expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Holland America Line has been transporting guests to exotic destinations for over 140 years and is known for its five-star service and excellent cuisine.

• Ballroom dancing: Guests can take complimentary "Dancing With the Stars" dance lessons from professional dancers, and they can then compete for the title of Cruise Champion and more.

• Excursions included: All shore excursions are included in the package price for Holland America Cruises.

• Dining variety: Guests have the option to dine as they wish; they can take a seat in the main dining hall, or they can visit the grill or pizza restaurant on the ship.

• Cancellation Protection Plan: Guests can purchase cancellation protection, giving them peace mind and a refund should anything come up to prevent them from sailing as planned.

• Gifts and indulgences: Holland America offers a program that lets guests and family members send gifts such as spa treatments and flowers to create extra special moments while cruising.

• Best for: The Holland America Cruises are best for travelers who want a traditional and elegant experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs