2. Travel

Holiday Inn Express

4.0/5 (455 ratings)

About Holiday Inn Express

Holiday Inn Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn Express?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I am still in a state of shock from the experience we had this past weekend with Holiday Inn Express, an IHG hotel. We had driven six hours from out-of-state and just minutes before we arrived at the hotel to check in, we were notified that our reservation was canceled due to "maintenance issues." It was Labor Day weekend in Las Vegas. I made these reservations on June 7th, THREE MONTHS IN ADVANCE. The front desk clerk was callous to our situation and very vague about the "maintenance issues" and I have a hunch that the hotel gave our rooms to last minute customers at a much higher rate.

There was no availability anywhere within miles. We missed our dinner reservation at Mandalay Bay because we were driving around in a panic trying to find lodging. We ended up driving to St. George, Utah that night arriving at 2:30 a.m. and then ended our trip early. A MUCH ANTICIPATED VACATION WAS RUINED, likely due to the greed of Holiday Inn Express and IHG Corporation. Buyer beware! This business lacks integrity.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

If I could leave 0 stars, I would. I booked and paid for a room back in July for this past Friday, September 3rd and selected early check in so my bridal party could get ready before my wedding. We showed up at 11:10am and were told that the hotel booked up the night before and there were no available rooms. When I explained I already paid for early check in and my reservation clearly states check in at 11am, all she said was, "Oh I understand that and I might have to refund you your money." The parking lot barely had any cars in it, so it didn't appear very full.

The manager was pretty rude and instead being understanding and sympathetic to my situation of needing to get ready for my WEDDING and getting us a room cleaned ASAP, all she kept saying is that we could cancel the reservation and refund us and that she's only been working there a week. I told her that there was no disclaimer when I booked this room or warning that the early check in was not guaranteed, nor was there a phone call to me ever informing me that my early check-in could not be accommodated. She then asked if we wanted to wait until her staff could get a room cleaned and I told her I had no other option. She told me it would take no more than a half an hour.

My sister then arrived to also get ready for my wedding and started questioning the professionalism of the hotel and asking why a room was not held for this reservation. The manager responded that they couldn't deny a guest Thursday night for an early reservation, and our response was that they should not offer early check in if they can not fulfill it. I also said I intitally was going to book the room for Thursday night as well but since they offered the early check in, I did not. The manager slowly started stepping out from behind the counter towards my sister while telling her to stop yelling at her, when my sister was not yelling, as if she was about to do something physical.

We then went outside to wait for our room, during which we saw the girl that was supposed to be cleaning a room for us instead come outside for a cigarette and at 11:40 we were told the room was still not clean. The manager still just kept saying she could cancel our reservation. My sister started calling other hotels trying to find us another room. As soon as she did, at noon and an hour after we should have been in the room that we already reserved and paid for, I went to inform the manager that she could cancel our reservation, then she responds , "but your room is ready now." I will never give this company my money.

We had to move all of our bags that had been sitting in the lobby back to our car and drive to the new hotel and I was an hour behind schedule for my wedding. I got to my wedding just in time for the ceremony and was not able to to do any of the bridal party photos at my venue prior to the ceremony that I had planned on doing.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Spent two nights at Holiday Inn in Clark, NJ at $130./night, the most we paid out of three other hotels. So disgusted to find no ventilation in the bathroom, particularly during a pandemic. Also, we were locked out of the bathroom and had to call maintenance to open the door and then the door would not stay closed. The crud coming from the bathroom sink was sickening. If you don't want to catch anything I would not stay in this hotel.

Original review: April 26, 2021

My husband is a disabled veteran. We attended a turkey hunt in Northern Indiana this weekend. Appalling the Holiday Inn Express in Plymouth IN. Would NOT accommodate this hunt because there were too many wheelchairs! UNBELIEVABLE! NEVER STAY AT A HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS if they cannot accommodate disabled people.

Original review: April 12, 2021

Conveniently located in Newport Beach, near restaurants, freeway access, free breakfast and comfortable beds and clean room. Coffee maker and refrigerator and iron board in the room. Quick check and check out.

Original review: April 5, 2021

While booking a room at a Holiday Inn Express, we were asked if we would be interested in a free trip and gift card if we participated in a 60-minute presentation while there. When we arrived at the Smoky Mountain Resort for this package, we learned that we would not be staying there, but at the Holiday Inn Express. This should have been a red flag to us!

At the presentation, we told the staff that we were against purchasing a timeshare because of the maintenance fees, which they were quick to assure us was not something that this membership would have. When we mentioned that we could not make this type of purchase because we were in the process of buying a home, we were told that they would hold the paperwork until that was completed. Nothing they told us was true! We have been billed for maintenance fees, the loan could not be rolled into our home loan, and we are now stuck with this purchase! We have tried to contact Holiday Inn to resolve this but they refuse to help us.

Original review: March 28, 2021

On our 7 week trip out west in the fall of 2019, before Covid hit fortunately, we stayed at hotels set up during the planning phase. The majority were Holiday Inn Express. This chain never fails to be wonderful. The beds are super comfortable, the rooms are clean and decorated nicely, and there are no unpleasant surprises. The continental breakfast was always good. I will always go the Holiday Inn Express route if at all possible when planning a trip.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I checked into the hotel Sunday evening March 7th. The lady at the desk I wish I remembered her name but she was the only nice, sweet, helpful and accommodating person there. The room I booked wasn’t available due to it still not having a final inspection since it’s a new hotel. So she gave me a free upgrade to a suite. I booked for one night but extended my room every night, paid in full, and paid my $50 deposit each time. When I extended my room March 10th (can’t remember if it was this specific day) there was a gentleman working the desk and he helped me extend my room that morning but was having a lot of trouble with the computer systems. It took him about 30min to extend my room in which he also accidentally charged me twice for my deposit, which the sweet lady helped fix and adjust for me. We had also started having me book my room to extend directly through the hotel instead of Priceline to make it “easier”.

Thursday March 11th I extended my room again with the same gentlemen from the other day. I got an immediate call back to the room phone from the manager. He informed me the rate had increased to $119 and wanted to confirm it was ok to charge and I agreed. Then the first thing I didn’t like was that he accused me of smoking (which I do not smoke at all, cigarettes, weed, vape, nothing) and he said the maid told him there was a smell from that hallway (no maid has ever been in my room) and he “assumed” it was me (SOCIAL PROFILING !!!!) and wanted to give a “gentle reminder” there’s no smoking allowed.

I checked my bank account to see they’ve went ahead n charged the card for the extension and seen there was a $200 charge. I immediately called the desk to see what the extra charges were. The manager said I owed a balance and he was going to charge an authorization to make sure I had enough money on my card.

This is where I begin to get upset. Mind you, I travel heavy for work. I’m on the road 3 weeks out of every month and travel to 2-3 cities every month and almost always book with Holiday Inn or any other IHG hotel because I usually never have any problems, let alone charge issues like this. I always only book for one day then extend my room everyday because I never know which day will be my last day working and it’s time for me to leave again so to prevent overpaying for a hotel and being restricted to a committed amount of days I only book for one night then extend daily for about 1-2 weeks. I am in the Bay Area every month so I would’ve been a regular repetitive customer had this issue never happened.

I go downstairs to the front desk to show him my bank statements which he didn’t even bother to look at. The other gentlemen was sitting there but I never spoke to him at all. The entire conversation was between me and the general manager (Josh is his name I think- he said I cussed out him and the gentlemen which is a lie because 1. Never spoke to the other agent at all during this whole situation only the manager. 2. Didn’t cuss him out at all but I was indeed very firmly upset but no disrespectful name calling or anything). I’m upset because he is saying I had a balance and owed money so they charged my card for the days I had been staying there trying to say I had never paid for those nights. HOW WAS I STILL THERE THEN AND WHAT WERE ALL THE PAYMENTS I HAD GIVEN EVERYDAY WHEN I EXTENDED????

It doesn’t make any sense and if I wasn’t understanding he was not helping me understand, only speaking to me like I was a child saying “Well that’s how this hotel works. That’s our policy,” and “Since you only want to extend it per day instead of several days and our hotel is getting full, we went ahead and authorized your card to make sure you have enough money on the card."

Still doesn’t make any sense. Out of the idk how many hotels I’ve been at in the last 4 months, let alone my whole life, have I ever heard of a hotel doing this. I don’t understand WHY a hotel would voluntarily choose to just charge my card some more for extra unnecessary authorizations, after I had already been paying my daily rate and deposit every single day I was there. There is NO REASON for any other excess charges PERIOD if I have already paid the rate and deposit everyday. I checked out the next day due to the manager lack of interest to help get to the bottom of the problem and help me understand why there are extra charges on my card after the fact I already paid for the room and deposit.

The next evening after I checked out, I went back to my regular holiday inn location in Burlingame where I have NEVER had any issues with charges or any staff. I stay here every month for no less than a week at a time. I look back on my account where now I see a charge of $340!! I call San Jose and spoke with Josh again and again immediately got upset with the way he handled things.

I am a very very upset loyal customer. I have every right to be upset and was speaking very firmly with him on how and why I was so upset. Josh had zero signs of wanting to help and instead continued to say “you will respect me when I’m talking to you” again like I’m a child and he’s a father (POWER TRIP !!!). Never have I had a manager I’m complaining to tell me he’s basically demanding respect from me in a situation like this. I’m completely baffled and appalled at his nonchalant inappropriate behavior.

He proceeded to talk over me and get upset when I told him he needs to listen to me so I can tell him why I’m upset so he can better understand where I’m coming from and my understanding of MY DEBIT CARD BEING OVERLY CHARGED so he as a manager can do what he can to fix it. Instead he is pointing the finger playing the victim. He asked for my email to send me the folio of charges and upon looking at it what I am understanding is the $340 is the total for all the days I stayed there then he decided to charge me all over again for AFTER I ALREADY PAID IT!!!

Also several days later I noticed all but 1 days of deposits was released back to my card. I called the hotel to ask about the charge and the lady informed me that I was charged $50 in damages. She said there was no note as to why. I can assure you and I would if I could, have any previous hotels vouch, I have NEVER had any damages charges in my rooms when I commute for work. I strongly believe this manager was being childish and petty and decided to charge me because he didn’t like how upset I was- which is an illegal charge!!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

First I would like to say I stead in a Holiday Inn Express in New Orleans on 936 Saint Charles. They do not have free parking, upon my arrival I was not given the option to pay for parking inside the Hotel. With that being said I had to go out in the rain out of the comfort of the bed to pay a parking meter which was frozen up at 3:38 in the morning, could not add money. Then about 9 a.m went to see if I could add money I received a BOOT ON MY VEHICLE. SO I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED. DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL. THANK YOU.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

Horrible customer service since the day before I called to ask a question and the young lady did not want to give me her name. I asked for her name to have a more personal conversation over the phone and she refused. She hung up not once but three times. Second time I called and amazingly shocked I asked her why did she hung up and she said because she did not have to give me her name. Then I asked to speak to manager and she also refused saying the manager was not on site.

I still checked in with my family. I am a traveling nurse and was suppose to be in California for three days. Next morning I asked for the manager and he came out, told him my story and the young lady next to him looked at me and said she was the person I spoke to on Friday. She stood there, lied to my face and the manager saying I gave her an attitude. Which this was not true. I looked at both and told them I was not going to go back and forth with this and that I would call customer relations which I did.

The room we got was horrible. The smell of alcohol and marijuana was so strong. The showerhead did not work. The towels were so nasty off white. The sheets on the bed did not look white like usual and the lobby was dirty. When I say dirty I meant dirty! Debris from outside was in the lobby, napkins and dried leaves. I did not complain that night because I refused for my weekend to be wasted on negatively vibes, the next day we checked out. We have used this stay for the past three years. I will never stay here again and absolutely never recommend it.

Holiday Inn Express Company Information