2. Travel

Holiday Inn Express

Holiday Inn Express
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.01/5

Holiday Inn Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn Express?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

Original review: July 15, 2020

Two weeks after we moved into our new home, our water pipes broke in our new home, we were forced to live at the hotel for 3 months while our home was repaired. Fortunately, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, and other than the event itself, we couldn't have been happier. We awoke each day to a great, free, breakfast, which was also the time we had prearranged with the staff to clean our spacious, modern suite. The staff were all friendly, and helpful too. We couldn't have been happier being stuck in the predicament. I wholeheartedly recommend this company!

Original review: July 14, 2020

The Holiday Inn Express is always nice and clean; usually located in an convenient location near an interstate section. Most of the Holiday Inn Express I have stayed in have comfortable medium, firm mattresses. The pillows are okay but I prefer a more firmer pillow. My last stay at a Holiday Inn Express was September 28, 2019 in Chattanooga, TN with family and friends for a surprise birthday party at a nearby clubhouse. There was a sufficient clean and well lighted area for us to gather and a fellowship in the lobby. We had access to several computers that were actually user friendly. Staff on duty were very polite and accommodating. There was a nice continental breakfast and of course, excellent coffee. The price is always is affordable and reasonable. I highly recommend Holiday Inn Express.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Holiday Inn Express is a real nice hotel to stay for family vacation. We have experienced several Holiday Inn Express around the world. The one in Bali Indonesia a resort on ocean is the best we have found so far. It has great ocean view. Service was excellent. Hotel was very clean and the morning breakfast buffet was awesome. We also liked very much Holiday Inn Express in Queenstown New Zealand and Melbourne Australia. One in Vancouver Canada is also great place to stay. Domestically we like one in Colorado. We were never disappointed in any Holiday Inn Express hotel. Great work. Keep on good reputation.

Original review: July 13, 2020

Experience with this hotel chain has varied. In general Holiday Inn Express is a solid hotel that I choose when traveling if my flight is delayed and need to catch an early flight. I travel a lot for work so this is a hotel I always look for and try and book if possible. Canadian Holiday Inn Express hotels are much cleaner and the staff north of the border is superb. I have stayed with my wife on vacation and she also likes the hotel chain and we get a good night sleep. This is a solid hotel chain - just ask anybody who travels often. This is their go to chain for consistency! Only wish the reward nights can be used with better consistency for my wife when we travel together.

Original review: July 3, 2020

Holiday Inn Express which is part of the IHG chain offers a consistently predictable motel/hotel package for the more economical traveler. They are found in cities, airports and on the road. They are no frills but when I travel especially by myself as a mature woman I feel comfortable and safe wherever I have been in the world. Usually staff are very helpful and frequently I have received room upgrades. I have not stayed at one since the pandemic lockdown started in the US but have read their protocols for cleaning which I think are very thorough. I look forward to getting on the road soon.

Original review: April 12, 2021

Conveniently located in Newport Beach, near restaurants, freeway access, free breakfast and comfortable beds and clean room. Coffee maker and refrigerator and iron board in the room. Quick check and check out.

Original review: April 5, 2021

While booking a room at a Holiday Inn Express, we were asked if we would be interested in a free trip and gift card if we participated in a 60-minute presentation while there. When we arrived at the Smoky Mountain Resort for this package, we learned that we would not be staying there, but at the Holiday Inn Express. This should have been a red flag to us!

At the presentation, we told the staff that we were against purchasing a timeshare because of the maintenance fees, which they were quick to assure us was not something that this membership would have. When we mentioned that we could not make this type of purchase because we were in the process of buying a home, we were told that they would hold the paperwork until that was completed. Nothing they told us was true! We have been billed for maintenance fees, the loan could not be rolled into our home loan, and we are now stuck with this purchase! We have tried to contact Holiday Inn to resolve this but they refuse to help us.

Original review: March 28, 2021

On our 7 week trip out west in the fall of 2019, before Covid hit fortunately, we stayed at hotels set up during the planning phase. The majority were Holiday Inn Express. This chain never fails to be wonderful. The beds are super comfortable, the rooms are clean and decorated nicely, and there are no unpleasant surprises. The continental breakfast was always good. I will always go the Holiday Inn Express route if at all possible when planning a trip.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I checked into the hotel Sunday evening March 7th. The lady at the desk I wish I remembered her name but she was the only nice, sweet, helpful and accommodating person there. The room I booked wasn’t available due to it still not having a final inspection since it’s a new hotel. So she gave me a free upgrade to a suite. I booked for one night but extended my room every night, paid in full, and paid my $50 deposit each time. When I extended my room March 10th (can’t remember if it was this specific day) there was a gentleman working the desk and he helped me extend my room that morning but was having a lot of trouble with the computer systems. It took him about 30min to extend my room in which he also accidentally charged me twice for my deposit, which the sweet lady helped fix and adjust for me. We had also started having me book my room to extend directly through the hotel instead of Priceline to make it “easier”.

Thursday March 11th I extended my room again with the same gentlemen from the other day. I got an immediate call back to the room phone from the manager. He informed me the rate had increased to $119 and wanted to confirm it was ok to charge and I agreed. Then the first thing I didn’t like was that he accused me of smoking (which I do not smoke at all, cigarettes, weed, vape, nothing) and he said the maid told him there was a smell from that hallway (no maid has ever been in my room) and he “assumed” it was me (SOCIAL PROFILING !!!!) and wanted to give a “gentle reminder” there’s no smoking allowed.

I checked my bank account to see they’ve went ahead n charged the card for the extension and seen there was a $200 charge. I immediately called the desk to see what the extra charges were. The manager said I owed a balance and he was going to charge an authorization to make sure I had enough money on my card.

This is where I begin to get upset. Mind you, I travel heavy for work. I’m on the road 3 weeks out of every month and travel to 2-3 cities every month and almost always book with Holiday Inn or any other IHG hotel because I usually never have any problems, let alone charge issues like this. I always only book for one day then extend my room everyday because I never know which day will be my last day working and it’s time for me to leave again so to prevent overpaying for a hotel and being restricted to a committed amount of days I only book for one night then extend daily for about 1-2 weeks. I am in the Bay Area every month so I would’ve been a regular repetitive customer had this issue never happened.

I go downstairs to the front desk to show him my bank statements which he didn’t even bother to look at. The other gentlemen was sitting there but I never spoke to him at all. The entire conversation was between me and the general manager (Josh is his name I think- he said I cussed out him and the gentlemen which is a lie because 1. Never spoke to the other agent at all during this whole situation only the manager. 2. Didn’t cuss him out at all but I was indeed very firmly upset but no disrespectful name calling or anything). I’m upset because he is saying I had a balance and owed money so they charged my card for the days I had been staying there trying to say I had never paid for those nights. HOW WAS I STILL THERE THEN AND WHAT WERE ALL THE PAYMENTS I HAD GIVEN EVERYDAY WHEN I EXTENDED????

It doesn’t make any sense and if I wasn’t understanding he was not helping me understand, only speaking to me like I was a child saying “Well that’s how this hotel works. That’s our policy,” and “Since you only want to extend it per day instead of several days and our hotel is getting full, we went ahead and authorized your card to make sure you have enough money on the card."

Still doesn’t make any sense. Out of the idk how many hotels I’ve been at in the last 4 months, let alone my whole life, have I ever heard of a hotel doing this. I don’t understand WHY a hotel would voluntarily choose to just charge my card some more for extra unnecessary authorizations, after I had already been paying my daily rate and deposit every single day I was there. There is NO REASON for any other excess charges PERIOD if I have already paid the rate and deposit everyday. I checked out the next day due to the manager lack of interest to help get to the bottom of the problem and help me understand why there are extra charges on my card after the fact I already paid for the room and deposit.

The next evening after I checked out, I went back to my regular holiday inn location in Burlingame where I have NEVER had any issues with charges or any staff. I stay here every month for no less than a week at a time. I look back on my account where now I see a charge of $340!! I call San Jose and spoke with Josh again and again immediately got upset with the way he handled things.

I am a very very upset loyal customer. I have every right to be upset and was speaking very firmly with him on how and why I was so upset. Josh had zero signs of wanting to help and instead continued to say “you will respect me when I’m talking to you” again like I’m a child and he’s a father (POWER TRIP !!!). Never have I had a manager I’m complaining to tell me he’s basically demanding respect from me in a situation like this. I’m completely baffled and appalled at his nonchalant inappropriate behavior.

He proceeded to talk over me and get upset when I told him he needs to listen to me so I can tell him why I’m upset so he can better understand where I’m coming from and my understanding of MY DEBIT CARD BEING OVERLY CHARGED so he as a manager can do what he can to fix it. Instead he is pointing the finger playing the victim. He asked for my email to send me the folio of charges and upon looking at it what I am understanding is the $340 is the total for all the days I stayed there then he decided to charge me all over again for AFTER I ALREADY PAID IT!!!

Also several days later I noticed all but 1 days of deposits was released back to my card. I called the hotel to ask about the charge and the lady informed me that I was charged $50 in damages. She said there was no note as to why. I can assure you and I would if I could, have any previous hotels vouch, I have NEVER had any damages charges in my rooms when I commute for work. I strongly believe this manager was being childish and petty and decided to charge me because he didn’t like how upset I was- which is an illegal charge!!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

First I would like to say I stead in a Holiday Inn Express in New Orleans on 936 Saint Charles. They do not have free parking, upon my arrival I was not given the option to pay for parking inside the Hotel. With that being said I had to go out in the rain out of the comfort of the bed to pay a parking meter which was frozen up at 3:38 in the morning, could not add money. Then about 9 a.m went to see if I could add money I received a BOOT ON MY VEHICLE. SO I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED. DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL. THANK YOU.

Holiday Inn Express Company Information