1.20/5
Based on 153 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

211 Howard Johnson Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

Stayed at the Howard Johnson's in Romulus, Michigan-Detroit Airport (7/12/2016). Called hotel for shuttle pickup. Driver drove by us at 40 miles an hour. Called hotel 3 more times for shuttle. He showed up 45 minutes later. When we finally got to our room it was full of mold. Could not even breathe. Room was filthy, stains on towels, sheets, pillow cases, etc. I don't think the carpet had ever been cleaned. Sheets were so worn out you could see through them. We would have left but by now it was 2am and we were not picking up our rental car until morning. There was nowhere else to go. Clerk gave us a different room. It was also horrible. Moral of the story... Never, ever stay at a Howard Johnson's.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2016

This hotel is in Harrisburg PA. It is a disgusting hotel. As soon as you walk in the smell just hits you. The room was filthy. Stuff sticking on the walls and stuff all over the floor. We had to buy new bed sheets and bed bugs spray to even try and stay there. We ended up checking out at 2 a.m. I was throwing up from the smell and filth. Would not recommend this place to anybody.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

Howard Johnson on Nevada Avenue in Colorado Springs, Colorado - The staff told me and my wife you can cancel a reservation before 4:00 p.m. I canceled the reservation well before 4:00 and they still charged my credit card even though I did not stay in the room. Their manager is very rude!!! Watch your wallet. This place is clearly out to rip people off. Other reviews state the place is dirty and full of bugs. Stay away from this place!!!

Original review: July 11, 2016

This hotel is infested with roaches and bedbugs. When I called the front desk to change rooms being we returned from the beach at 2:00 am, I was told all they had left was a King room that I could not have since I had 2 double beds. I stayed in the room for 1 hour and I was charged for 2 nights. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I will sleep in my car before I ever stay here again. You really do get what you pay for. I am also going to send the infestation pictures to every news station in e (757) area.

Original review: June 21, 2016

I am staying at Howard Johnson motel in Addison, Illinois. So I stayed for 3 nights and ants were crawling around. I had to come back and it's 91 degrees outside. The 1 room ac didn't work, it was on cold but hot air was coming out... So I went to complain, with hesitation I got a replacement. I asked for my old room back, I was told that room isn't available. 2 room. Room was hot. I turned on the ac. It started to blow cold air really good for 5 minutes then shuts off the cold air and just fan works but no cold air. Went to complain more. Hesitate than before and maintenance came to check it. Said it's OK. I said, "No it's not the cold air isn't coming out." So with about 10 minutes argument I got replacement. 3 room. Same story as what happened in room 2 but with more arguments so I said, "Either I get my old room back or am leaving and tell my boss I left because ac don't work." So much arguments and got my room back...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Howard Johnson?

Original review: June 13, 2016

Worst hotel to stay at - infested with roaches and fleas, hotel staff and management provided horrible service. Contacted them several times with no response in regards to overcharge on my credit card. Was hung up on by front desk when I was told several times Sophie the manager would be in to help me in 30 minutes. Then was told leave my number - she will call me back and never did. I then called again and was told by guest services that she is his manager. She gets there when she gets there and again hung up on me. I have stayed at several hotels resorts in the past and never experienced anything like this. I am beyond disappointed.

Original review: May 27, 2016

On April 1st, my wife, kids and I were driving through I-95 SC. It was late so I called several hotels, they were all full. Finally Howard Johnson said they had a room for us. I made the reservation. So we went to the hotel and I was told there was no reservation for me. I was told to call another HJ hotel at Beaufort SC (approx. 30 min from where we were) to check if they had our reservation - they told me there was no reservation for us. I called HJ and complained about it and asked them to cancel my reservation. Well, when I received my CC statement I noticed that they charged me for the night. I told my CC Company that I was disputing the charge on the grounds mentioned above.

Well, HJ submitted a letter to my CC Company fabricating the following information: 1. That I had directly made the reservation online. 2. They submitted an "online log" supposedly to show that I did an online reservation. A total fabrication because I did accessed the net to make the reservation. 3. That I was a no show at the Beaufort hotel (mindful, this was not even the place I had made the reservation); the same place/HJ hotel that told me that there was no reservation under my name. Be extremely careful with Howard Johnson - they are not to be trusted.

Original review: May 2, 2016

On 4/20/2016 I have went online to reserve a room. It was so late at night I guess that it made it for the following night. When I went in to get my room the man at the front desk told me that I did it for the wrong day but he would give me a room but it was not what I needed. He told me that I would not be charged for the night I was not going to use and he would cancel it. Not only did I still get charged twice for a room I didn't want but I was deceived into thinking that I would not get charged. Booking says the hotel should have cancelled it and the man at the front desk said that booking had too. Who is responsible to cancel it when I said I didn't want it? Who lied to me? I want a refund please. I made this reservation because my daughter went through heart surgery and I didn't have that money to spare. Charging 120 dollars for a room is awful. Legal thieves.

Original review: April 28, 2016

I've been living at Howard Johnson hotel in Mesa AZ since November of 2015. I started working in December 2015. I was working from Monday through Sunday from the time I woke up it seemed like till I went to bed. I was working house keeping which I loved doing. I love the boss Dora. She was the best. I tended to meet my guest every need and want no matter what it was. I made sure they were happy and satisfied. Since ANOTHER HOUSE KEEPER WASN'T WASHING THE LINEN I LET THE OWNERS KNOW AND I WAS BEING IGNORED UNTIL DORA SEEN IT HERSELF AND FIRED THE OTHER HOUSEKEEPER. I have been fired. Howard Johnson in Mesa AZ has lost a lot of guest. I have been kicked out of my room but more like my home to where I'm now homeless and broke.

I had no one to help me take my stuff off property SO I asked if I could put my stuff in storage in the back with another guest stuff and they said yes. Well on 4/27/15 my stuff was taken out of storage and no one notified me that my stuff was removed and people were taking what they wanted. Well now I'm going beyond corporate now because Mr. ** does treat good people like like**. And the people who steal from him and do drugs or do bad things to his property he treats good. Well ** is wrong and so is his son, Liz and a few other people. SO PLS DON'T RENT AT HOWARD JOHNSON IN MESA NOR RAMADA ON DOBSON AND THE 60 IN MESA AZ.

Original review: April 18, 2016

I checked in on 3/12/16, checked out 3/13/16 so I know housekeeping went in remade the bed which at this time I forgot my jewelry box under mattress - called back to see if it was turned in by housekeeping. I was told no - in the meantime I was told I would be contacted by hotel Manager. As of this day I have not been contacted by a manager so I called again... so bottom line don't leave anything of value. It won't be returned to you. Housekeeping not honest - wonder if they do background check! On these people... please return my jewelry!!!

Original review: March 27, 2016

Before I arrived at the hotel, I received a call from a woman claiming she worked for Howard Johnson and the room I reserved was not available but they had another room which was not smoking which I had reserved for and I asked if we could get a discount. She... stated NO. I ask why not if the room I reserve was for smoking... So I let that go. When I arrived the lady in the front asked if I knew about the room change. I told her yes, then she asked if the lady I spoke with earlier had told me they would charge me $40 extra... I told her no! I then noticed she wrote no discount in caps on my reservation but failed to say anything about $40 extra. I was so upset.

When I got inside of the room it smelled bad and it was a mess - dirty and gross! The room I had rented before was nicer and smelled better than the non smoking... I had rented the room for two nights and the next day when I returned from shopping I noticed things moved from my bags. The housekeeping must of went through my things. I will Never stay here again! I will also be calling corporate office to make an official complaint!!

Original review: March 21, 2016

Sheets had feces on them and blood on bathroom wall. I told night manager and they did nothing... gave me new sheets. I then told morning person at desk and no apology or anything. I would never recommend this place to anyone!!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2016

I reserved a room with a credit card... two notes it had to be a smoking room, we would guarantee arrival after 6 pm. Upon being there no smoking room not available. First room was right on the highway and the noise through closed windows was overwhelming, second room was right next to an equipment room and the vibration and noise was not going to let anyone sleep. Third room was dirty and I gave up. The hotel was totally unsatisfactory. I cannot recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2015

We weren't in our room no more than 20 minutes when my husband notice a bed bug going up my shirt. I walked to him, he grab it and put it in a cup to show the clerk. Once she came she agreed it was definitely a bed bug!!! However at this time it had already bitten me!!! She offered to give us, another room which had no blinds up, (we used a towel, until my husband asked for the blind from the room we just left. The shower was horrible, the water never went down, until my friend fixed, because room care took hours!!! She only offered to give us half of our money back from this awful experience. I asked for a full refund only to get 40$ back off of a 208$ stay!!! I'll never NEVER EVER STAY AT ANY HOWARD JOHNSON MOTEL AGAIN. BED BUGS and a STOPPED UP BATHTUB IS A NO FOR ME AND MY FAMILY...

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

Upon our arrival a bad musty smell from the carpets hit us. We stayed the night and spent the day after getting ready for a family reunion. When we got back to our room at 4:15 pm, our room was not done. We panicked as we had a function to attend. When we at least asked for fresh towels, the maid was impatient and wanted to drop the pile of towels in my arms right in the hallway. I refused and asked her to please deliver it to my room.

I asked to talk to the manager and ask him why our room did not get done. He accused me of putting the do not disturb sign which we did not! Then I told him that he needed to take this business seriously if he wanted customers to come back. He just laughed in my face and left without even a little apology. I think he was rude and ignorant. To make things even worse, two maids were talking to each other in another language that was not French or English while giving me the dirty look. It was pretty obvious they were talking about me. Very unprofessional!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2015

Rude employees. I harassed by employee to leave property, refused to give me the 800 number, she actually told me there was no such thing. Discrimination against minorities and people with disabilities. I will never come to a Howard Johnson ever!! And I will tell friends and family to do the same. I've never been treated this way. We stayed a week!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

Used Howard Johnson Airport Parking from 9/1/15 - 9/11/15, went to Sacramento CA. Took the shuttle from the hotel to the airport. The driver requested the keys in case he had to move the car. Upon returning to my car on 9/11/15 I noticed my dashboard had been changed. I had my outside temp set to view, however rather then my temp showing, it was set to show me mileage and oil usage.

I let it go. On Saturday October 17th opening up my mail there was a parking ticket unpaid, the date of the ticket was 9/8/15 5:54pm in downtown Cleveland, Ohio. After getting the ticket in the mail, I looked through my car and also found a SOUL cd, that was not mine. I immediately called Howard Johnson's asked for the corporate office. The female employee said the internet was down and she did not have that number. I asked for the manager, she said the manager was not in, hold on. Once she returned to the phone, I asked what time the manager would arrive, she said "I'm the manager", her name was Ashley. I explained what I was calling about. Her reply was "Who did you give the keys to, they don't ask for keys". I replied, "Oh really, because your driver asked for our keys".

She then said she will get a hold of the GM and I should get a call between 10:00am - 11:00am. By 2:30pm still no call, my husband called again, she said she would call us by 4:00pm that day. No call. 7:00pm I received a voicemail from her saying her GM will either call me Sunday morning or afternoon... Still no call. My husband called again on Monday October 19th, Ashley said to send a copy of the ticket and that the GM would be calling me that morning. Still no call... Here is the problem besides no call. Howard Johnson employee took my car unauthorized, drove it who knows where, doing who knows what. I believe it's illegal to take a car? And Howard Johnson's does not seem to care. This is not the end.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

This was the worst place I have ever stayed! Smoke detector was not plugged into wall - it was sitting by tv. Smelled like mold. Outlets didn't have covers. Lamp shades were missing. Employees were rude and degrading to me. Asked for towels, finally got them the next day. I would not ever stay there again.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2015

Location: 12100 West 44th Avenue Wheatridge, CO 80002. This is the worst experience I have ever had in any hotel. We had two separate bookings here - one we actually stayed for and the other where we left without ever checking in. The first booking, the one where we actually stayed, was pretty bad. The rooms are microscopic and so stuffed full of assorted furniture that it's hard to move around. The bathroom sink is out in the room and the bathroom itself is tiny. Bed was rock hard. Internet was sporadic at best. Very dirty overall. Located next to an "adult" store and across the street from a truck stop. Guy at the counter insisted we pay a (previously undisclosed) $50 "deposit" but we didn't have cash on us. Initially said we couldn't have the room until we paid (even though the room itself was already paid for), but finally gave us keys when we said we'd pay the next morning (we did, and we did get it back upon check-out).

Upon check-out was told I didn't "declare" my "pet". Told woman at the counter he was my service dog and she just sort of grunted but made no further issue of it. Our second booking, the one where we did not stay, involved someone who I assume was the manager telling me that "paperwork" was required for my service dog, otherwise I'd be charged a "pet fee". Suggested that I just got my dog's vest online and that he wasn't really a service dog. The irony there is that the only "paperwork" you'll ever see, outside of perhaps something from your doctor, is entirely from online scam sites (a lot of people don't know this, but there is NO governmental agency that issues "certificates" or "paperwork" for service animals). I pulled up the ADA page on service animals on my phone, but he didn't care (even though it says right there in plain English that businesses cannot ask for "paperwork" or anything else saying the dog is a service animal).

Insisted he was correct; we were later told by the desk person that they "called Wyndham" (their parent company) and "verified" that was their policy. Called Hotwire, who normally don't issue refunds, but after explaining the situation were happy to work with me. Canceled and left. Hotel had called the police by that point (I hadn't done anything other than be angry - but I am not and would not be threatening), they pulled up as we were walking out of the building and back to my car - did not approach us but watched us until we actually drove out of the parking lot. Apparently this is not the first time this has happened (see Yelp). Scummy, scammy, shady hotel that I can't believe hasn't been run out of business. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2015

We stayed at the Howard Johnsons in San Antonio TX near Six Flags. It was terrible!!! We walked in and the smoke detector was covered with a towel, the wall had a wadded up paper towel stuffed in a hole in the wall. The tub dripped, the toilet kept running, the carpet was not vacuumed, the wall looked like someone had smeared poop on it. The tv looked like it was about to fall off the wall. Toilet paper was about empty with no extra. Please do not stay here ever!!! Gross. Got money back and will never stay again!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2015

Whenever I go a hotel/motel I always do the mirror finger check (to see if it's a two-way mirror)... just for fun, not really expecting to find a real two-way mirror. Not so much this time... BINGO!!! The main mirror that looks right at the bed DID NOT pass the finger check (Google it)!!! Not sure who to contact about that find. I covered it up with a blanket. Triple checked all mirrors in the room... the others passed!! Front desk service was bare minimum at best. Breakfast was sad and I'm pretty sure not up to health code standards. The cream cheese for the palm-sized bagel was ONE BLOCK (not individual serving packages) to be shared by the ENTIRE HOTEL!! Waffle mix smelled old and stale. No eggs or breakfast meat.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2015

Stayed at the HOJO in Kissimmee Florida to go to Disney World. We had to change rooms 3 times. The first one the AC didn't work. Second one had a recent electrical fire and you could see the burn streaks on the wall. The third room had mold surrounding the tub and shower. Stains on all the linens and carpet. The room reeked of mold and filth. The AC vents had a ton of dust surrounding the area. There was no phone in the rooms. No bible, no alarm clock and the tv remote was a different brand than the tv and it didn't work. We had new safe in our room either. It was filthy. Plus online said they offered a free full breakfast. NOPE, they discontinued that. All in all it was the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. Never again will Howard Johnson ever get a dime of my money. We couldn't even use the pool because it had green slime floating on top of the water. Disgusting.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2015

Mission Valley Hotel Circle, San Diego, CA - DISGUSTING!!! Does not even deserve 1 star! We booked three nights online prior to our arrival, but when we arrived and saw the room, we didn't even stay one night. The room was disgusting. Everything looked as though they picked it out of the garbage. There were stains on everything... the bed skirt, the couch, the rug, the lamp shades... and I didn't even want to sit on the furniture, let alone sleep there. It reeked like mold and no way would I ever put any food in that fridge or microwave. Our room was also right next to the freeway, which was really loud. I was astounded that the owners would allow such conditions in their hotel.

Clearly, they were just doing the absolute bare minimum to stay open and take people's money. You're better off sleeping in your car... seriously. We even almost got stuck in their elevator that was barely functional. I actually can't believe that the place hasn't been shut down by the Dept. of Health or some other equivalent organization. When we went back downstairs to complain, the guy at the front desk told us that if we had a problem with the room we needed to let him know within 10 minutes of arrival, but it had been a half hour so we would not get any money back. This "rule" was not posted anywhere. When we told him that we would just contact American Express and contest the charges, he said he would give us our money back for two nights, but we would have to pay for one. When all was said and done, we ended up having to pay $89 for being there for an hour.

Subsequently, when looking up the price of the hotel for one night, every website said $45/night. We will be contesting the charges with Amex for that one night. We will also be contacting the Better Business Bureau. Thankfully, while we were in the lobby in the process of getting out of there, I was able to book a room for three nights using the "HotelTonight" app at the "Town and Country Hotel" which was right down the street, for $20 less per night and it was lovely and clean. The guy who checked us in at that hotel told us that they get a lot of customers from Howard Johnson's with the same complaints we had. Do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2015

Howard Johnson Atlantic City West, Pleasantville. 8029 Black Horse Pike, Pleasantville, NJ, 08232, United States of America, 855-239-9481. I went to Howard Johnson from the 16th to the 21st with husband and we both were disappointed. Went to do some laundry and the laundry room was very filthy, you could see the lint on the floor on the side of the dryer. While waiting there I looked to the floor and seen baby cockroaches. They were crawling up the wall. It was on the 2nd floor. The trash can full of trash. Only had our towels changed twice and bed picked up twice. The area looked abandoned. The last night there, a couple was arguing like crazy. Very noisy. Where the ac is, there was lint around it.

Will not return to that hotel ever. They should be more careful with the cleaning. Hygiene is very important especially when a lot of kids go to that hotel. And no I did not report nothing to the manager cause it's his/her responsibility to make sure that everything is ok so more customers could stay there. As I have read other reviews, I'm not the only one that's complaining. Just wanted to have my say on this hotel. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2015

Wrote Howard Johnson and Choice Hotels never received any replies. Wife had insulin. Ref was frozen, lock on door was missing, wall socket side of bed was hanging out, fire and toilet paper rack was rusted out, paint was peeling.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

Yesterday, August the 19, I made a reservation for a 1 night stay at 3 pm! I got to the Howard Johnson at 7:30. I was told that my reservation was canceled! I was overwhelmed because I was tired and had a long bus ride to Washington DC. The two young ladies at the front desk were very rude and unhelpful. They continuously told me my reservation was canceled. There were like 4 different reasons for why it was canceled. One reason was because someone called and canceled it. Another reason was hotels.com canceled it and that false! The other reason was that someone called due to weather. Seriously? How many stories did these girls make up and why be so rude?

To make a long story short the manager came in for the night shift, pulled up the reservation under "Derrick **" and I didn't get into my room until almost 12:00 am. I only got 4 hrs of sleep, when I got here at 7:30 pm! Honestly the ladies of the evening shift at the front desk are extremely rude and this was the worse experience I've ever had at a hotel, and I travel often. I myself have worked in hospitality for over 7 yrs and those young ladies should be disciplined or you will continue to get complaints about them to your headquarters.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

I found out my card was charged an extra $150 after the room was empty. I called Howard Johnson in Colorado Springs, Colorado where my son had stayed and I had paid for 2 nights stay in advance after he had stayed there for a week paid through Expedia. I paid all fees associated with the room and there were never any complaints of any kind for over a week. My son is looking for a apartment and needed a place temporarily. They charged $150 for what they said was "Someone smoked in the room the last night there." It did not happen. My son, age 45, does not smoke in the house and never did. He did not do it the entire time he was there much less the last night there.

They said they smelled smoke in the hall and said it had to be him so they charged me after he checked out. This is an outrage and I guess how they make extra money by cheating people. I called my bank and refuted the charge. I will not pay for their scam! I see why they have a 1 Star rating! Should be less. My son said it was like the Ghetto there. Listed under my name.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2015

WORSE HOTEL IN MY LIFE. Everything here is very very dirty!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2015

My sister and I stayed at Howard Johnson with our two grandchildren. We had a wonderful time. The pool was amazing for the kids. The room/bed was comfortable. We left a few things behind and I need to ask if it was found. There was an iPod... left in the drawer medicine a bathing suit. Can anyone get back to me? Please it was two weeks ago. Room 127.

Original review: July 25, 2015

After checking into our room at the Howard Johnson Hotel located at 12205 S Crater Rd in Petersburg, Virginia, we exhausted. We checked in at 11:45 pm on July 24, 2015. Not long after entering our room we realized our toilet was clogged and when we went to use the phone to call the front desk it was not working. Using our personal phone we contacted the front desk and they switched us to a different room. This room was even worse. The shower head was completely flipped upside down and hanging, the filth and grime on it was thick and gross. There was what appeared to be makeup on the bathroom mirror, there was some kind of filth on the mirror in the room. There was what appeared to be blood on the wall and the light in the bathroom.

There was stuff all over the walls in the room next to the bathroom, the towel holder was off of the wall and the bar was missing. The chain lock on the door had been obviously tampered with several times. When I pulled the sheets down there was a very large clump of long black hair (please keep in mind that I am a hairdresser and hair does not normally bother me). My family brought in our own pillows and we slept on top of the covers feeling that they were not the cleanest. When checking out we went to get our breakfast that was included and were absolutely disgusted! There was rat or mouse feces on the shelves.

When I asked the manager on duty if he had a corporate number he told me "no", he did not have one? We were in the car for not even 5 minutes when my daughter started to yell that there was something crawling on her pillow. We immediately pulled over and yes there were several very large bed bugs crawling on her pillow!!! (We have pictures of almost all of this stuff to verify). I am absolutely disgusted and mortified that my family and I spent a night in this so called hotel. It should be inspected and would probably be fined and shut down! I am sick to my stomach that a place of such filth is allowed to stay in business? We have more pictures if needed?

Howard Johnson Company Information