1.21/5
Based on 151 reviews that contain star ratings

209 Howard Johnson Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I booked a room at the Howard Johnson hotel in Addison Il for a business trip. I would never stay at another one. Staff was extremely rude. I asked to be changed rooms and was told they were booked for the night. I asked if I could get a refund I was told to wait I would have to talk with a manager in the morning. I got dressed and attended my business meeting. Less than 20 minutes after returning to the room the fire alarm started going off so I got concerned and called the front desk. I was told, "Everything was fine. It will go off on its own in a little while."

About 3 minutes later the hotel was surrounded with fire and policemen and we were evacuated. We were allowed to return to our rooms. I finally laid down to have the people above me to make a lot of noise at 4 in the morning. I called to ask if she could have them quiet down a bit and I was told no one else complained and that I should just lay down everyone will be asleep soon. That's not to include how inappropriate the room was. Long story short I would never stay at another hotel thru them again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Had called Howard Johnson in Saugerties, NY to inquire about some rooms for a wedding in that area. Was told they could accommodate. They asked for my credit card information saying it is policy. I had friends and family stay in 5 of their rooms. They all paid for rooms themselves. Howard Johnson's also charged my card for those rooms and refuses to return my money! I have receipts for all 5 of those rooms. Managers are rude... the general manager won't even take my calls. I have contacted their corporate office and still no help... my bank is now doing an investigation to try and get my money back. They are trying to say my guests were no shows... but I have receipts and I won't stop fighting until they give me back my money!!! I work too hard for it. Manager's name is Justin... tells me good luck trying to get a refund... I will get my money back!!!

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2018

The pictures on the online reservation website look absolutely NOTHING like the actual hotel. I actually thought as we pulled into the parking lot that I must have gone to the wrong Howard Johnson Hotel. There are two in Va. beach. I got out and went into the office to check if we were actually at the wrong hotel. Nope, we were at the one I have made the reservation with... The pictures must be from an entirely different hotel. The pool was beyond filthy, the dumpsters were beyond overflowing and the smell was absolutely nauseating which permeated throughout the hotel. The elevator did not work most of the time. I did ride it when it did actually worked and noticed a couple things. 1. It smelled like someone spilled old beer in it and like someone urinated in it. 2. The elevator was in a state of disrepair to the point of it actually being a hazard.

We walked up to our floor, several flights of stairs in the dirty stairwell after that, which also smelled like urine, beer and a bonus, stale vomit. Our room was big enough and the beds were just fine. We got one small towel, a mat and a washcloth. That's it. The safe was broken, it looked like someone took an axe or blow torch to it. Wifi was less than iffy. The air condition was broken and part of it kept falling off of the wall unit and we just kept putting it back on as best as we could. There were a lot of rowdy people, yelling and screaming in the parking lot at around 3 in the morning. We were woken up by housekeeping at about 8 even though we had a Do Not Disturb sign on the door.

All of this sounds bad, but really the worst thing was that there were not enough parking spots for a full hotel. Parking came with the price of the room. I chose this place right by the beach so we would not have to drive or worry about dealing with parking. The lot was always full and there were always extra cars parked in any possible spot, not to mention all of the people who were double parked. So, I ended up having to deal with parking in a beach town in the summer. A pain in the **. If the reservation says that parking is included, then it should be included. No effort by staff to assist us, and there were employees who were parked in lot, all over the place. I know this because the front desk guy pointed out staff cars, saying things like, "Well he gets off work in a couple hours and that's my SUV," etc. etc.

I think out of town customers/guests would be a priority. Not so. Also the milk at their so called breakfast was old, they did not refresh contents of their breakfast during out four days there, there was a brown, nearly liquid banana just sitting there for our whole stay. We ate out instead. There were piles and piles of litter all of the grounds and in the walkways. I would be ashamed to work there, ashamed to own that location and ashamed to have the company name associated with this particular location.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Howard Johnson Clifton, NJ - Front, sign in street says $69 a night. 2 young girls at front desk didn't want to hear the price advertised. Charged me $123 and I came in at 9pm leaving at 7am. I was told price was firm and take it or leave it. I ask if a military or police get a discount they both said NO. From their faces I was under impression they didn't like either. This is the 1st and last time I use Howard Johnson and will advertise my frustration on my encounter on this day with both police union and military affairs.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Upon checking in we found the front desk area updated while the rooms are trash. The room service never swept or vacuumed while the dead crane fly remained on the bathroom floor. The shower curtain was moldy and the tile cracks around the toilet hurt my foot. The sink was cracked as well. The shower strips were so worn that the slippery floor gave me no desire to shower. The maid did not dump the coffee pot from the previous user. The lock was held by one stripped out screw. The knob on the air conditioner was broken off. The carpets need to be stretched to prevent falls. We reported the remote to the TV did not work, to no avail from the staff. The floor is very shaky and not sure why. The microwave in the breakfast area is moldy. Bed bugs were reported from a neighboring tenant. I will never stay at any Howard Johnson in any state of the US. What a disaster.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Howard Johnson?

Original review: June 16, 2018

Very disgusted with my stay at the Bartonsville, PA Howard Johnson on June 1, 2018. I traveled from out of state to get there right after work . When I got there to check in the first room they gave me (133) somebody had to just hop out the bed. It wasn’t made. It was still garbage in the garbage can and the floors were dirty so immediately called the front desk. She told me to come downstairs and give me another room (207). How would you not know that room was not clean and you’re giving into a new customer? The next room she ended up giving me I went in and drop the bags in the dark and went straight to sleep.

When I woke up BOOOY OH BOY I STARTED TO INSPECT EVERYTHING. The tub looked moldy and unclean so I end up washing up in the sink the next morning and I didn’t realize until right before I left that the carpet was really embedded with dirt. Outdated microwave and fridge and one seated dusty dirty couch with a hole in the corner. So I immediately grab my stuff and went to the front desk and told them this is unacceptable and I wanted to check out. I still got charge for two days when I only stayed one night??? Oh really?

Original review: April 10, 2018

My mother and I stayed at the Howard Johnson located at 1922 Boston Rd. Bronx, NY. It was a nightmare staying there. It was the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in. When we arrived the valet was excellent. But the front desk and housekeeping staff was rude and need customer service training. When we entered the room you could see the floor was visibly dirty and full of debris. The sheets and mattress pad was dirty, the bathroom was dirty and moldy. The smoke detector was in a drawer instead of on the wall. The room was equipped with a refrigerator and microwave but they were so dirty and filled with dead bugs, you couldn't use them. I immediately returned to the front desk to report what I saw. I asked for a refund so I could find another hotel. I was told rudely that they don't give refunds. So I asked to be put into another room. The front desk guy rudely stated that he needed to see the room before he could change it.

After he viewed the room he agreed to change the room. The next room was not that much better. Housekeeping was very bad. We stayed Friday and Saturday nights. Saturday evening when we came back to the hotel we noticed no housekeeping had been done to the room. We wasn't given clean towels and when I went to complain I was rudely told there isn't housekeeping at night. The TV didn't work, we looked at a blue screen the entire stay. I asked about it and was told someone would come fix it but nobody came.

The room that they served the free breakfast in was dirty and had several leaks from the ceiling. The bathroom next to the breakfast room was filthy with graffiti all over the walls. The entire hotel reeked of **. What topped the nightmare was they rented rooms for 3 hours to drug addicts and prostitutes. I will never stay at a Howard Johnson again nor will I recommend it to anyone. I paid $245.50 +$43.36 tax for two nights. I wish I could get every dime back for that nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

My room was at backside of hotel, field and two vacant business buildings. Gave me the creeps and Bates Motel feeling. There were roaches in microwave. Pool was green and full of algae. Ice machine broke, small holes in sheet and nonsmoking room smelled like cigarette smoke.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Little expensive. Ok rooms. Person allowed a big plus and ice machine. Location is good too. Free breakfast is great. Rooms could be cleaner. Microwave and refrigerator in every room that is really good.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Mr. ** was very excellent. [Vet] disabled USMC Vietnam veteran who appreciates the excellent service and assistance of the staff at the Howard Johnson Hotel located on Hotel Circle S in San Diego, CA. Vet had some complications to be resolved even before he made the first step into the hotel. He had to deal with the booking company who represented. The vet would have no problem getting a room on the first floor with double-queen beds. Vet’s assistant happened to call the hotel to verify if the accommodations for the first floor were available despite the booking’s company assurances. The assistant found the booking company was wrong. There were no double beds on the first level.

A call was made to the hotel instead of the booking company. The staff member at the hotel resolved the arrangement issues promptly and with positive results. The staff did not insist on the extra fee for changing the reservation based on the misrepresentations of the booking company. When the room’s microwave had some matters of concern, the staff replaced the unit. The new unit worked well. Vet’s AA batteries needed to be replaced, Mr. **, member of the staff, had some new batteries on hand which he provided to vet. It was a great time saver and it allowed the vet to keep using the electronic item instantly. He didn’t have to go through all of the complications of going to a store.

The night before departure, vet was very concerned about the ability to keep his parking spot which was located directly in front of his door. He worried if he left the hotel to do some rehabilitation exercises in the gym. Vet discussed the complications with Mr. **. Mr. ** even parked his personal vehicle in the vet’s parking spot to help the handicap’s concerns. This was great and it made the vet praised the Lord for providing Mr. ** to have a heart to help a vet who happened to be a ** man. There was no prejudices of any sort. Mr. ** must have had a good heart where he cared about all people regardless of the race or color.

There are more thoughts to add, but time is of the essence. As such, the vet appreciates all of the excellent service provided by Howard Johnson hotels which is one of the chains of the Wyndham Hotels Group from the staff and especially Mr. **! The stay at the hotel has been in the top five of the vet. It was very close to the brand new InterContinental Hong Kong hotel located in China and other fine ones.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have never had an experience like I have had today. I traveled to Prattville Alabama to relax and get away from my hometown for a couple of days. When I checked in I had the most pleasant greeting by a sweet young lady and she was so helpful but when shift changed the guy (Carl) was an absolute (excuse my language) **. He isn't friendly at all very smart at the mouth. He was asked one simple question and his response was very sarcastic. I was planning to stay another night but decided not to because of the simple fact (him). When you are in customer service you are supposed to make sure your customers are taking care of and happy. This trip I was not. If I ever come back to Prattville I will not be staying there. Great hotel but one person can make customer service look real bad.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I tried to book a room and entered the wrong date-A DISABLED SENIOR!! WITHIN 1 HOUR I tried to change this and was told NO CHANGE AND WOULD BE CHARGED A CANCELLATION FEE OF $79.48!! Should have left them with the Reservation and thus they would have an EMPTY ROOM!! Now they have charged me AND can rent out the room A SECOND TIME!!! Will continue to harass and complain to Head Office of Howard Johnson (US and Canada) until I get a satisfactory response. DISGUSTING REACTION!! ESP TOWARDS A SENIOR!! Now I cannot afford to attend the FUNERAL of my dear friend of over 50 YEARS!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My family and I stayed at the Howard Johnson N Park entrance Sandusky Ohio location during a trip to Cedar Point. The close proximity to the park (under 3 miles) and the amazing restaurant "Thirsty Pony" across the street was the only positive part about the entire stay at this location. We arrived late, after 2 a.m. after working and a long drive. Upon arrival we noticed several people roaming aimlessly around the parking lot and being very noisy. The lights on the building we stayed in were not working, my children described the place as the "slums of Mexico".

Once inside, I noticed that the room looked nothing at all like the photos posted on the website, the floors were sticky (very concerning), the walls were dirtied with hand prints, and the lock on the door was torn away from the door jamb. I also noticed that the suite I'd reserved was not at all like the gentleman I’d spoken to on the phone explained. I was looking for something with 2 rooms with the beds in separate rooms, the gentleman who I spoke to assured me that that's how the room was set up... NOT true. The beds are both in one room - no tv and a sleeper sofa in another room with a tv.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I've stayed at the hotel in Vallejo on Admiral Callaghan Lane several months ago and it was in less than par shape. I just stayed in the hotel again and what a change! A 180 degree turn around. The management has done major improvements on every aspect of the hotel. The rooms are very clean and housekeeping washes the bed linens and towels every day. The pool has been redone and the hotel has been repaired and painted. Also the staff is very friendly and helpful. I give this hotel 2 thumbs up. I also recommended my friends and coworkers to stay there.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

My girl friend and I stayed at a Howard Johnson hotel at 3300 hwy 66 in Flagstaff Arizona. The room was so unfit to stay in there was hair in the shower, bubble gum on the head board. Food on the ceiling. Food dropped the bed spread. Dirty outside patio landing. Old crumbling steps. And so. And I paid $78.50 for the room. I could not cancel because then they would charge me a cancellation fee. This so called hotel carrying the Howard Johnson name is a disgrace to your name. And they should be shut down. I'm very disappointed with that room. For that price.

Original review: July 5, 2017

The check in time at Howard Johnson Inn West Yarmouth is at 2 pm, we were at the hotel at 4 pm, the room is not ready yet, they are still working on it. We waited until 5 when it’s finally done, the comforter and sheet sets are still wet, we asked to have it changed. The housekeeper didn't speak any English, we need to go back to the front desk to ask someone else. The bathroom is dirty, the carpet smell really bad, people are smoking outside in front of our room. We stayed at the Howard Johnson elsewhere and never this bad, it’s not worth it to pay $180/night for this, I wouldn't recommend to anyone. This is the worst nightmare ever.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I had a reservation with the hotel and when I arrived I was told that there was a deposit required even though I already paid for my stay. I said that I refused to pay the deposit since when I set up the stay through a different website it did not show the deposit. So I told them I will stay somewhere else and I want a refund. The company still charged me and no refund given. The front desk person was rude and did not speak to anyone trying to get help at the desk. Do not use this hotel, it is ran by people who do not understand customer service and lies about the things that are on other websites.

Original review: June 18, 2017

After leaving our room for the beach, I remembered I needed my billfold. My adult daughter said she would run up and get it. Upon getting to the 2nd floor, she noted four people standing near our room. One of the individuals was facing a room and was trying to get it in. My daughter approached and realized it was our room. She said, this is our room and the individual say to her "Oh, I'm bad." and the four went into their room across the hall. My daughter was so shook up she did not come out of our room until she knew they weren't coming back out. She came out of the room and encountered a maid and told her what had happened. The maid said to inform the front desk.

Our daughter then came out to tell us what had been going on. She was crying and shaking. She said when she went to get the billfold, someone was trying to get into our room. My wife made a beeline to the front desk to report the incident. By that time three of the guys came out of the motel through the side exit and was standing at their car. The front office personnel approached the guys and they said it wasn't them. My daughter said it was. Another office person called someone, we did not know who he was talking with. We assumed it was the police. We stood outside the motel front door for some time. My daughter was visibly shaken. She did not want to stay at this motel any longer.

All this took place the second day of our four day visit. The front desk person said the men could not have entered our room. That's beside the point. She could have been dragged into those guys room and who knows what would have happen. My daughter still did not want to stay at the motel. I asked the front desk clerk if we could check out and she replied yes, but there would be no refund. That's about $600 for three more nights we were booked. I said my daughter was scared to stay here. She said they couldn't give a refund for something like that. She said no, no we cannot give refunds period. I was mad as hell. I then asked if they had a room on the first floor, clerk said no, they were all booked up.

For the rest of the day, my daughter was crying and scared. We had no choice but to stay there or go home and forfeit the remaining three nights we had paid for. We cautiously stayed. We talked to a policeman at the beach and he said we should have called them. We told him we thought the motel had, but no one showed up and came by later to talk to us. I have no idea who the motel person was calling and talking to but it wasn't for help for our situation. Folio no. **. Admiral's Inn, Tybee Island, GA. Good as a receipt.

Original review: June 14, 2017

After traveling over 1100 miles I get to this hotel @ 930a to be told check is @ 3p. The agent @ the desk didn't greet meet @ all. After sitting for over 3hrs a ** lady came in was greeted & told she will be helped. After a hour she was. I was told I'd be helped shortly. Meanwhile the ** lady was given a room. I'm still sitting here w/ 2 kids @ 215p in a lobby. My room was paid & booked over a month ago. Also the manager I suppose was delivering cleaning supplies. My grandson spoke to this man several times. This man totally thought ignored him. How is that good customer service? THIS IS MY FIRST & LAST TIME EVER PATRONIZING HOWARD JOHNSON MOTOR LODGE & I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE EVER. They don't deserve a star???

Original review: May 24, 2017

I made a reservation online with Howard Johnson reservation center for a stay at Howard Johnson in Manning, South Carolina for Sunday, May 14, 2017 for one night. I have often stayed there on my trips to Virginia. Their cancellation policy is 12:00 pm the day before the arrival date and I cancelled my reservation earlier than that. The cancellation call center in Central America stated that my cancellation came in at 10:38 am the day before my arrival date but the cancellation center in the US has it arriving to them at 12:40 pm, 40 minutes late. I think this is shoddy business practices.

I did what I was supposed to but because the cancellation went to Central America first, which I was unaware of, and then I guess they forward it to the US, my cancellation was not within the perimeters of their policy. I think this is very unfair since on my end, it was cancelled in plenty of time of when it was supposed to. Therefore, I will not be getting a refund. I spoke to a lady in Central America who confirmed the time of arrival for my cancellation but said since it was 40 minutes late reaching the US, they had to abide by policy. I think this is very wrong. The number I called was 888-978-6493 which is in Central America.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Our wrestling club stayed at this hotel this past weekend. We would have left the first night but unfortunately all hotels were booked due to the State Championship wrestling tournament. The pool was broken, the hot tub broken, both saunas broken, pool table are disgusting and no pool sticks with tips, pool table ripped and nasty. One mother went down asked for a plunger and was told they don't have any. There were piles of wood in hallway where kids were running without shoes with rusty nails. Several places were ceiling was falling down. Hall bathrooms were disgusting. Feces on walls and floors. I have lots of pictures. One Dad leaned against railing outside his room and it broke and he almost fell off balcony. 90% of the exit doors were locked because they were broken. They also had one that was shattered and one that had a bullet hole.

We were told by a police officer we should have never had our children in this hotel because it's known for drugs and prostitution. A local restaurant told us to make sure we kept our children close to us in that hotel and never to stay on that side of town. An employee called me a LITTLE BIRCH and when we went to front desk that lady screamed at us. She was very rude! My nephew's TV didn't work or the refrigerator. One room if you ran water in sink it came right back out onto the floor. Another parent had to vacuum her own room. I asked for trash bags for my trash cans so they came in and put the trash bags on top of the trash that was already in the trash can. We had reservation issues for two weeks prior to our stay. AND to top it all off I have been overcharged by $300!!! We had a total of 13 rooms.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

Phone didn't work, Channels on tv barely came in, next door tricks and treats. Over a dozen cars came and went and could hear people having relations and garbage bags stacked outside from night until next day we checked out. Intoxicated addicts outside door most of night, carpet ripped and torn, AC unit not working properly. Was covered in mold, dust food and missing pieces. Microwave had pieces of food inside, Floor was sticky and left black residue on socks, food cleaned out from offered breakfast, and to top it off while we slept plumbing backed up. No we didn't even use it once but it backed up and bubbled to rim and smelled terrible. I'm only leaving 2 stars bc we didn't get killed by the shady characters or end up in an ICU unit from the unsanitary conditions and we didn't find bugs. Which shocked me but my daughter said "daddy it's too dirty even for the buggies."

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

The pictures on this hotel's website were deceiving. We were very disappointed upon arriving and it got worse once we entered our room. We tried looking at other hotels close by but they were all booked. We were hours from home and stuck here. The hotel was very run down and old looking, not maintained at all. I took several pictures inside our room. We stayed out late just so we would spend the least amount of time possible in our room. We had 3 small children so we didn't want them in a dirty hotel either.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

I recently stayed at a Howard Johnson Motel in Hershey, PA with a voucher I won online for $500. I was charged $266.50 per night when the same room on their website is going for $104 per night for the same amount of people. When I checked out of the motel I was charged $200 for smoking in the room. I called the manager right away when I noticed the charge on my debit card. He stated that he smelled smoke in the room and that he had to deep clean the carpet to get rid of the smell. I then told him that no one smoked in the room as I have COPD and that I cannot breathe if anyone near me smokes. At that point he then stated that he saw cigarette ash. Which is it? Anyone of his employees could have smoked in the room as I checked out at 10 am and the charge was put on my bill at 2:26 pm. Also, if he has to deep clean the carpet why is he not also cleaning the drapes, shower curtain?

The coffee that was provided at breakfast was very bitter as the coffee has not been cleaned in a very long time. There also was NO grip handles in the bathtub or non-slip material in the bath. It took me over 20 minutes to get out of the tub because I kept sliding. I mentioned to the manager that we could NOT use the pool as there were many, many bugs in the pool and that the filter was not on nor had it been vacuumed in a very long time. He stated that he had no record of it, when I know I call the front desk on 9/9/2016 at approx. 5:30 pm. I need to have my money back as I am on a very limited income and really need to pay bills.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Reserved three nights at Howard Johnson Jamaica Inn Queens NY through Expedia, starting Sept-2-2016. Stayed one night and check out next morning at 9:43 AM due to change in travel plans and "other reasons." Hotel kept the full amount of THREE nights already charged to my VISA, instead of just one night. Their website does not say anywhere that if you check out the rest of the reservation will be kept by the hotel. Only says I would be charged for the first night in case of late cancellation or no-show, so I am disputing the extra charges through Chase, my VISA bank.

The "other reasons": Reception and room had a cigarette smell masked by some kind of freshener. My smoke-free room had the same problem and cigarette burn holes in the bed cover. On check-in I was told the room was too small to add the roll-away bed I had requested, so they charged an additional $120 to "upgrade" to another room with 2 full-size beds (not queen size). Had to park my car in the street 3 blocks away in dark and dirty streets, with lots of garbage bags ransacked by animals, some in front of the hotel. A train yard full with Long Island subway trains was the view from my window.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

On the evening of June 23, 2016 I made a reservation for a friend who would be visiting us in July. Our friend would be departing on Saturday, July 23, early in the morning and we lived 2 hours south. The Ben is 80 years old, and his wife Gloria is 56 years old, and I reserved a king size bed beneath the hotel lobby, as these rooms had no stairs and had an easy to maneuver ramp for Ben. The rest of the hotel is 2-3 stories and requires climbing stairs. There is no elevator. When we arrived at the hotel on Friday, July 22, 2016 at 3:00 p.m., the clerk of the hotel said there was no reservation. I gave him the reservation number and he said there was no such thing.

Our family has been patronizing the establishment for many years. We eat dinner at the Indian Buffet on the grounds. But the clerk was unable to help us because the rooms beneath the lobby were booked. I explained why I rental that particular room and he offered a room on the second floor in the building behind the main lobby. I protested and asked for the manager. The manager looked into the computer and found no such reservation and stated that if my credit card had not been billed then they weren't obligated to accommodate us. When I said I would take the room on the 2nd floor, the manager said that he didn't trust the ability of Ben to climb the stairs and was refusing us any accommodation. I responded that Ben was capable of climbing the steps of the hotel, that I reserved the room for ease of movement. He didn't budge.

I was shocked and asked if he was sure he wanted to treat us in this fashion. We left and got a ground level room down the street on Sandy Blvd. at the Quality Inn. It was about $20.00 more than the Howard Johnson, but was a lovely room. I will never go back to the Howard Johnson at 82nd St. and Sandy Blvd. in Portland, Oregon, again. The stance that Howard Johnson took toward us was inexcusable. It is my personal opinion that because Ben and Gloria are people of Color, that the management of the hotel was concerned about frivolous litigation.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

I purchased my hotel reservation through Hotwire.com during a road trip from WA to CA. We showed up at the hotel, checked in and went to our room. I have done this several times over the past several years and NEVER had this experience. I noticed right away the walls were really dirty. As I looked around I saw crumbs and debris on the carpet. The toilet wasn't cleaned, the mirror had spots, jelly or some other sticky substance on the table, the phone was filthy! I went to the front desk to complain and asked for fresh sheets and cleaning supplies to clean the room. He gave them to me and apologized saying that housekeeping leaves before he comes in and the person who cleaned this room was not the best. As I started to clean, I realized this room had not been cleaned for a very time, absolutely disgusting. There was also cobwebs in the curtains with a huge spider. I could not believe it.

I decided that for our safety and health we couldn't stay here. I had never been ripped off like this before using Hotwire. We were ripped off the $ for the room and had to go pay at another hotel to sleep in that night. I was not familiar with this brand of hotel. I don't know how they are in business, they should be shut down! I am beyond disappointed with Hotwire. The reason I have used them was to find a room short notice and make sure we get a decent clean room when you aren't familiar with an area. I would strongly urge people to stay away from any Howard Johnson hotel for your health and safety!!! And if you use Hotwire, beware. They have lowered their standards! I wish the photos I took were better, it didn't quite capture everything, but you can see.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

I tried to check into my room at 2:35 p.m. The Howard Johnson's Airport Hotel in Portland Oregon on August 10, 2016. The clerk told me check-in time is 3 p.m. I asked if the room was ready and she said yes but it would cost me an extra $25 to check in early. I've never encountered this charge before and I've stayed at many hotels in different states. We waited the 25 minutes to check-in.

That night when my daughter and 4 year old granddaughter returned from a stage show at 11 pm, our key did not work. My daughter went to clerk to have it fixed, still did not work. This time I went down for the correction, still did not work. 3rd time: the clerk said if it doesn't work this time, you'll have to wait for my co-worker to come back to let you into your room. He said they'd been having this problem. 30 minutes later we got into our room with a very exhausted little girl. Desk staff was not friendly and not helpful, especially at night. Will never stay at a HJ again!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

Stayed at the Howard Johnson's in Romulus, Michigan-Detroit Airport (7/12/2016). Called hotel for shuttle pickup. Driver drove by us at 40 miles an hour. Called hotel 3 more times for shuttle. He showed up 45 minutes later. When we finally got to our room it was full of mold. Could not even breathe. Room was filthy, stains on towels, sheets, pillow cases, etc. I don't think the carpet had ever been cleaned. Sheets were so worn out you could see through them. We would have left but by now it was 2am and we were not picking up our rental car until morning. There was nowhere else to go. Clerk gave us a different room. It was also horrible. Moral of the story... Never, ever stay at a Howard Johnson's.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2016

This hotel is in Harrisburg PA. It is a disgusting hotel. As soon as you walk in the smell just hits you. The room was filthy. Stuff sticking on the walls and stuff all over the floor. We had to buy new bed sheets and bed bugs spray to even try and stay there. We ended up checking out at 2 a.m. I was throwing up from the smell and filth. Would not recommend this place to anybody.

Howard Johnson Company Information