1.19/5
  • 1 star
Based on 142 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 8, 2017

200 Howard Johnson Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Mr. ** was very excellent. [Vet] disabled USMC Vietnam veteran who appreciates the excellent service and assistance of the staff at the Howard Johnson Hotel located on Hotel Circle S in San Diego, CA. Vet had some complications to be resolved even before he made the first step into the hotel. He had to deal with the booking company who represented. The vet would have no problem getting a room on the first floor with double-queen beds. Vet’s assistant happened to call the hotel to verify if the accommodations for the first floor were available despite the booking’s company assurances. The assistant found the booking company was wrong. There were no double beds on the first level.

A call was made to the hotel instead of the booking company. The staff member at the hotel resolved the arrangement issues promptly and with positive results. The staff did not insist on the extra fee for changing the reservation based on the misrepresentations of the booking company. When the room’s microwave had some matters of concern, the staff replaced the unit. The new unit worked well. Vet’s AA batteries needed to be replaced, Mr. **, member of the staff, had some new batteries on hand which he provided to vet. It was a great time saver and it allowed the vet to keep using the electronic item instantly. He didn’t have to go through all of the complications of going to a store.

The night before departure, vet was very concerned about the ability to keep his parking spot which was located directly in front of his door. He worried if he left the hotel to do some rehabilitation exercises in the gym. Vet discussed the complications with Mr. **. Mr. ** even parked his personal vehicle in the vet’s parking spot to help the handicap’s concerns. This was great and it made the vet praised the Lord for providing Mr. ** to have a heart to help a vet who happened to be a ** man. There was no prejudices of any sort. Mr. ** must have had a good heart where he cared about all people regardless of the race or color.

There are more thoughts to add, but time is of the essence. As such, the vet appreciates all of the excellent service provided by Howard Johnson hotels which is one of the chains of the Wyndham Hotels Group from the staff and especially Mr. **! The stay at the hotel has been in the top five of the vet. It was very close to the brand new InterContinental Hong Kong hotel located in China and other fine ones.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have never had an experience like I have had today. I traveled to Prattville Alabama to relax and get away from my hometown for a couple of days. When I checked in I had the most pleasant greeting by a sweet young lady and she was so helpful but when shift changed the guy (Carl) was an absolute (excuse my language) butt hole. He isn't friendly at all very smart at the mouth. He was asked one simple question and his response was very sarcastic. I was planning to stay another night but decided not to because of the simple fact (him). When you are in customer service you are supposed to make sure your customers are taking care of and happy. This trip I was not. If I ever come back to Prattville I will not be staying there. Great hotel but one person can make customer service look real bad.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I tried to book a room and entered the wrong date-A DISABLED SENIOR!! WITHIN 1 HOUR I tried to change this and was told NO CHANGE AND WOULD BE CHARGED A CANCELLATION FEE OF $79.48!! Should have left them with the Reservation and thus they would have an EMPTY ROOM!! Now they have charged me AND can rent out the room A SECOND TIME!!! Will continue to harass and complain to Head Office of Howard Johnson (US and Canada) until I get a satisfactory response. DISGUSTING REACTION!! ESP TOWARDS A SENIOR!! Now I cannot afford to attend the FUNERAL of my dear friend of over 50 YEARS!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My family and I stayed at the Howard Johnson N Park entrance Sandusky Ohio location during a trip to Cedar Point. The close proximity to the park (under 3 miles) and the amazing restaurant "Thirsty Pony" across the street was the only positive part about the entire stay at this location. We arrived late, after 2 a.m. after working and a long drive. Upon arrival we noticed several people roaming aimlessly around the parking lot and being very noisy. The lights on the building we stayed in were not working, my children described the place as the "slums of Mexico".

Once inside, I noticed that the room looked nothing at all like the photos posted on the website, the floors were sticky (very concerning), the walls were dirtied with hand prints, and the lock on the door was torn away from the door jamb. I also noticed that the suite I'd reserved was not at all like the gentleman I’d spoken to on the phone explained. I was looking for something with 2 rooms with the beds in separate rooms, the gentleman who I spoke to assured me that that's how the room was set up... NOT true. The beds are both in one room - no tv and a sleeper sofa in another room with a tv.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I've stayed at the hotel in Vallejo on Admiral Callaghan Lane several months ago and it was in less than par shape. I just stayed in the hotel again and what a change! A 180 degree turn around. The management has done major improvements on every aspect of the hotel. The rooms are very clean and housekeeping washes the bed linens and towels every day. The pool has been redone and the hotel has been repaired and painted. Also the staff is very friendly and helpful. I give this hotel 2 thumbs up. I also recommended my friends and coworkers to stay there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Howard Johnson?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

My girl friend and I stayed at a Howard Johnson hotel at 3300 hwy 66 in Flagstaff Arizona. The room was so unfit to stay in there was hair in the shower, bubble gum on the head board. Food on the ceiling. Food dropped the bed spread. Dirty outside patio landing. Old crumbling steps. And so. And I paid $78.50 for the room. I could not cancel because then they would charge me a cancellation fee. This so called hotel carrying the Howard Johnson name is a disgrace to your name. And they should be shut down. I'm very disappointed with that room. For that price.

Original review: July 5, 2017

The check in time at Howard Johnson Inn West Yarmouth is at 2 pm, we were at the hotel at 4 pm, the room is not ready yet, they are still working on it. We waited until 5 when it’s finally done, the comforter and sheet sets are still wet, we asked to have it changed. The housekeeper didn't speak any English, we need to go back to the front desk to ask someone else. The bathroom is dirty, the carpet smell really bad, people are smoking outside in front of our room. We stayed at the Howard Johnson elsewhere and never this bad, it’s not worth it to pay $180/night for this, I wouldn't recommend to anyone. This is the worst nightmare ever.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I had a reservation with the hotel and when I arrived I was told that there was a deposit required even though I already paid for my stay. I said that I refused to pay the deposit since when I set up the stay through a different website it did not show the deposit. So I told them I will stay somewhere else and I want a refund. The company still charged me and no refund given. The front desk person was rude and did not speak to anyone trying to get help at the desk. Do not use this hotel, it is ran by people who do not understand customer service and lies about the things that are on other websites.

Original review: June 18, 2017

After leaving our room for the beach, I remembered I needed my billfold. My adult daughter said she would run up and get it. Upon getting to the 2nd floor, she noted four people standing near our room. One of the individuals was facing a room and was trying to get it in. My daughter approached and realized it was our room. She said, this is our room and the individual say to her "Oh, I'm bad." and the four went into their room across the hall. My daughter was so shook up she did not come out of our room until she knew they weren't coming back out. She came out of the room and encountered a maid and told her what had happened. The maid said to inform the front desk.

Our daughter then came out to tell us what had been going on. She was crying and shaking. She said when she went to get the billfold, someone was trying to get into our room. My wife made a beeline to the front desk to report the incident. By that time three of the guys came out of the motel through the side exit and was standing at their car. The front office personnel approached the guys and they said it wasn't them. My daughter said it was. Another office person called someone, we did not know who he was talking with. We assumed it was the police. We stood outside the motel front door for some time. My daughter was visibly shaken. She did not want to stay at this motel any longer.

All this took place the second day of our four day visit. The front desk person said the men could not have entered our room. That's beside the point. She could have been dragged into those guys room and who knows what would have happen. My daughter still did not want to stay at the motel. I asked the front desk clerk if we could check out and she replied yes, but there would be no refund. That's about $600 for three more nights we were booked. I said my daughter was scared to stay here. She said they couldn't give a refund for something like that. She said no, no we cannot give refunds period. I was mad as hell. I then asked if they had a room on the first floor, clerk said no, they were all booked up.

For the rest of the day, my daughter was crying and scared. We had no choice but to stay there or go home and forfeit the remaining three nights we had paid for. We cautiously stayed. We talked to a policeman at the beach and he said we should have called them. We told him we thought the motel had, but no one showed up and came by later to talk to us. I have no idea who the motel person was calling and talking to but it wasn't for help for our situation. Folio no. **. Admiral's Inn, Tybee Island, GA. Good as a receipt.

Original review: June 14, 2017

After traveling over 1100 miles I get to this hotel @ 930a to be told check is @ 3p. The agent @ the desk didn't greet meet @ all. After sitting for over 3hrs a ** lady came in was greeted & told she will be helped. After a hour she was. I was told I'd be helped shortly. Meanwhile the ** lady was given a room. I'm still sitting here w/ 2 kids @ 215p in a lobby. My room was paid & booked over a month ago. Also the manager I suppose was delivering cleaning supplies. My grandson spoke to this man several times. This man totally thought ignored him. How is that good customer service? THIS IS MY FIRST & LAST TIME EVER PATRONIZING HOWARD JOHNSON MOTOR LODGE & I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE EVER. They don't deserve a star???

Original review: May 24, 2017

I made a reservation online with Howard Johnson reservation center for a stay at Howard Johnson in Manning, South Carolina for Sunday, May 14, 2017 for one night. I have often stayed there on my trips to Virginia. Their cancellation policy is 12:00 pm the day before the arrival date and I cancelled my reservation earlier than that. The cancellation call center in Central America stated that my cancellation came in at 10:38 am the day before my arrival date but the cancellation center in the US has it arriving to them at 12:40 pm, 40 minutes late. I think this is shoddy business practices.

I did what I was supposed to but because the cancellation went to Central America first, which I was unaware of, and then I guess they forward it to the US, my cancellation was not within the perimeters of their policy. I think this is very unfair since on my end, it was cancelled in plenty of time of when it was supposed to. Therefore, I will not be getting a refund. I spoke to a lady in Central America who confirmed the time of arrival for my cancellation but said since it was 40 minutes late reaching the US, they had to abide by policy. I think this is very wrong. The number I called was 888-978-6493 which is in Central America.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Our wrestling club stayed at this hotel this past weekend. We would have left the first night but unfortunately all hotels were booked due to the State Championship wrestling tournament. The pool was broken, the hot tub broken, both saunas broken, pool table are disgusting and no pool sticks with tips, pool table ripped and nasty. One mother went down asked for a plunger and was told they don't have any. There were piles of wood in hallway where kids were running without shoes with rusty nails. Several places were ceiling was falling down. Hall bathrooms were disgusting. Feces on walls and floors. I have lots of pictures. One Dad leaned against railing outside his room and it broke and he almost fell off balcony. 90% of the exit doors were locked because they were broken. They also had one that was shattered and one that had a bullet hole.

We were told by a police officer we should have never had our children in this hotel because it's known for drugs and prostitution. A local restaurant told us to make sure we kept our children close to us in that hotel and never to stay on that side of town. An employee called me a LITTLE BIRCH and when we went to front desk that lady screamed at us. She was very rude! My nephew's TV didn't work or the refrigerator. One room if you ran water in sink it came right back out onto the floor. Another parent had to vacuum her own room. I asked for trash bags for my trash cans so they came in and put the trash bags on top of the trash that was already in the trash can. We had reservation issues for two weeks prior to our stay. AND to top it all off I have been overcharged by $300!!! We had a total of 13 rooms.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

Phone didn't work, Channels on tv barely came in, next door tricks and treats. Over a dozen cars came and went and could hear people having relations and garbage bags stacked outside from night until next day we checked out. Intoxicated addicts outside door most of night, carpet ripped and torn, AC unit not working properly. Was covered in mold, dust food and missing pieces. Microwave had pieces of food inside, Floor was sticky and left black residue on socks, food cleaned out from offered breakfast, and to top it off while we slept plumbing backed up. No we didn't even use it once but it backed up and bubbled to rim and smelled terrible. I'm only leaving 2 stars bc we didn't get killed by the shady characters or end up in an ICU unit from the unsanitary conditions and we didn't find bugs. Which shocked me but my daughter said "daddy it's too dirty even for the buggies."

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

The pictures on this hotel's website were deceiving. We were very disappointed upon arriving and it got worse once we entered our room. We tried looking at other hotels close by but they were all booked. We were hours from home and stuck here. The hotel was very run down and old looking, not maintained at all. I took several pictures inside our room. We stayed out late just so we would spend the least amount of time possible in our room. We had 3 small children so we didn't want them in a dirty hotel either.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

I recently stayed at a Howard Johnson Motel in Hershey, PA with a voucher I won online for $500. I was charged $266.50 per night when the same room on their website is going for $104 per night for the same amount of people. When I checked out of the motel I was charged $200 for smoking in the room. I called the manager right away when I noticed the charge on my debit card. He stated that he smelled smoke in the room and that he had to deep clean the carpet to get rid of the smell. I then told him that no one smoked in the room as I have COPD and that I cannot breathe if anyone near me smokes. At that point he then stated that he saw cigarette ash. Which is it? Anyone of his employees could have smoked in the room as I checked out at 10 am and the charge was put on my bill at 2:26 pm. Also, if he has to deep clean the carpet why is he not also cleaning the drapes, shower curtain?

The coffee that was provided at breakfast was very bitter as the coffee has not been cleaned in a very long time. There also was NO grip handles in the bathtub or non-slip material in the bath. It took me over 20 minutes to get out of the tub because I kept sliding. I mentioned to the manager that we could NOT use the pool as there were many, many bugs in the pool and that the filter was not on nor had it been vacuumed in a very long time. He stated that he had no record of it, when I know I call the front desk on 9/9/2016 at approx. 5:30 pm. I need to have my money back as I am on a very limited income and really need to pay bills.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Reserved three nights at Howard Johnson Jamaica Inn Queens NY through Expedia, starting Sept-2-2016. Stayed one night and check out next morning at 9:43 AM due to change in travel plans and "other reasons." Hotel kept the full amount of THREE nights already charged to my VISA, instead of just one night. Their website does not say anywhere that if you check out the rest of the reservation will be kept by the hotel. Only says I would be charged for the first night in case of late cancellation or no-show, so I am disputing the extra charges through Chase, my VISA bank.

The "other reasons": Reception and room had a cigarette smell masked by some kind of freshener. My smoke-free room had the same problem and cigarette burn holes in the bed cover. On check-in I was told the room was too small to add the roll-away bed I had requested, so they charged an additional $120 to "upgrade" to another room with 2 full-size beds (not queen size). Had to park my car in the street 3 blocks away in dark and dirty streets, with lots of garbage bags ransacked by animals, some in front of the hotel. A train yard full with Long Island subway trains was the view from my window.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

On the evening of June 23, 2016 I made a reservation for a friend who would be visiting us in July. Our friend would be departing on Saturday, July 23, early in the morning and we lived 2 hours south. The Ben is 80 years old, and his wife Gloria is 56 years old, and I reserved a king size bed beneath the hotel lobby, as these rooms had no stairs and had an easy to maneuver ramp for Ben. The rest of the hotel is 2-3 stories and requires climbing stairs. There is no elevator. When we arrived at the hotel on Friday, July 22, 2016 at 3:00 p.m., the clerk of the hotel said there was no reservation. I gave him the reservation number and he said there was no such thing.

Our family has been patronizing the establishment for many years. We eat dinner at the Indian Buffet on the grounds. But the clerk was unable to help us because the rooms beneath the lobby were booked. I explained why I rental that particular room and he offered a room on the second floor in the building behind the main lobby. I protested and asked for the manager. The manager looked into the computer and found no such reservation and stated that if my credit card had not been billed then they weren't obligated to accommodate us. When I said I would take the room on the 2nd floor, the manager said that he didn't trust the ability of Ben to climb the stairs and was refusing us any accommodation. I responded that Ben was capable of climbing the steps of the hotel, that I reserved the room for ease of movement. He didn't budge.

I was shocked and asked if he was sure he wanted to treat us in this fashion. We left and got a ground level room down the street on Sandy Blvd. at the Quality Inn. It was about $20.00 more than the Howard Johnson, but was a lovely room. I will never go back to the Howard Johnson at 82nd St. and Sandy Blvd. in Portland, Oregon, again. The stance that Howard Johnson took toward us was inexcusable. It is my personal opinion that because Ben and Gloria are people of Color, that the management of the hotel was concerned about frivolous litigation.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

I purchased my hotel reservation through Hotwire.com during a road trip from WA to CA. We showed up at the hotel, checked in and went to our room. I have done this several times over the past several years and NEVER had this experience. I noticed right away the walls were really dirty. As I looked around I saw crumbs and debris on the carpet. The toilet wasn't cleaned, the mirror had spots, jelly or some other sticky substance on the table, the phone was filthy! I went to the front desk to complain and asked for fresh sheets and cleaning supplies to clean the room. He gave them to me and apologized saying that housekeeping leaves before he comes in and the person who cleaned this room was not the best. As I started to clean, I realized this room had not been cleaned for a very time, absolutely disgusting. There was also cobwebs in the curtains with a huge spider. I could not believe it.

I decided that for our safety and health we couldn't stay here. I had never been ripped off like this before using Hotwire. We were ripped off the $ for the room and had to go pay at another hotel to sleep in that night. I was not familiar with this brand of hotel. I don't know how they are in business, they should be shut down! I am beyond disappointed with Hotwire. The reason I have used them was to find a room short notice and make sure we get a decent clean room when you aren't familiar with an area. I would strongly urge people to stay away from any Howard Johnson hotel for your health and safety!!! And if you use Hotwire, beware. They have lowered their standards! I wish the photos I took were better, it didn't quite capture everything, but you can see.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

I tried to check into my room at 2:35 p.m. The Howard Johnson's Airport Hotel in Portland Oregon on August 10, 2016. The clerk told me check-in time is 3 p.m. I asked if the room was ready and she said yes but it would cost me an extra $25 to check in early. I've never encountered this charge before and I've stayed at many hotels in different states. We waited the 25 minutes to check-in.

That night when my daughter and 4 year old granddaughter returned from a stage show at 11 pm, our key did not work. My daughter went to clerk to have it fixed, still did not work. This time I went down for the correction, still did not work. 3rd time: the clerk said if it doesn't work this time, you'll have to wait for my co-worker to come back to let you into your room. He said they'd been having this problem. 30 minutes later we got into our room with a very exhausted little girl. Desk staff was not friendly and not helpful, especially at night. Will never stay at a HJ again!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

Stayed at the Howard Johnson's in Romulus, Michigan-Detroit Airport (7/12/2016). Called hotel for shuttle pickup. Driver drove by us at 40 miles an hour. Called hotel 3 more times for shuttle. He showed up 45 minutes later. When we finally got to our room it was full of mold. Could not even breathe. Room was filthy, stains on towels, sheets, pillow cases, etc. I don't think the carpet had ever been cleaned. Sheets were so worn out you could see through them. We would have left but by now it was 2am and we were not picking up our rental car until morning. There was nowhere else to go. Clerk gave us a different room. It was also horrible. Moral of the story... Never, ever stay at a Howard Johnson's.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2016

This hotel is in Harrisburg PA. It is a disgusting hotel. As soon as you walk in the smell just hits you. The room was filthy. Stuff sticking on the walls and stuff all over the floor. We had to buy new bed sheets and bed bugs spray to even try and stay there. We ended up checking out at 2 a.m. I was throwing up from the smell and filth. Would not recommend this place to anybody.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

Howard Johnson on Nevada Avenue in Colorado Springs, Colorado - The staff told me and my wife you can cancel a reservation before 4:00 p.m. I canceled the reservation well before 4:00 and they still charged my credit card even though I did not stay in the room. Their manager is very rude!!! Watch your wallet. This place is clearly out to rip people off. Other reviews state the place is dirty and full of bugs. Stay away from this place!!!

Original review: July 11, 2016

This hotel is infested with roaches and bedbugs. When I called the front desk to change rooms being we returned from the beach at 2:00 am, I was told all they had left was a King room that I could not have since I had 2 double beds. I stayed in the room for 1 hour and I was charged for 2 nights. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I will sleep in my car before I ever stay here again. You really do get what you pay for. I am also going to send the infestation pictures to every news station in e (757) area.

Original review: June 21, 2016

I am staying at Howard Johnson motel in Addison, Illinois. So I stayed for 3 nights and ants were crawling around. I had to come back and it's 91 degrees outside. The 1 room ac didn't work, it was on cold but hot air was coming out... So I went to complain, with hesitation I got a replacement. I asked for my old room back, I was told that room isn't available. 2 room. Room was hot. I turned on the ac. It started to blow cold air really good for 5 minutes then shuts off the cold air and just fan works but no cold air. Went to complain more. Hesitate than before and maintenance came to check it. Said it's OK. I said, "No it's not the cold air isn't coming out." So with about 10 minutes argument I got replacement. 3 room. Same story as what happened in room 2 but with more arguments so I said, "Either I get my old room back or am leaving and tell my boss I left because ac don't work." So much arguments and got my room back...

Original review: June 13, 2016

Worst hotel to stay at - infested with roaches and fleas, hotel staff and management provided horrible service. Contacted them several times with no response in regards to overcharge on my credit card. Was hung up on by front desk when I was told several times Sophie the manager would be in to help me in 30 minutes. Then was told leave my number - she will call me back and never did. I then called again and was told by guest services that she is his manager. She gets there when she gets there and again hung up on me. I have stayed at several hotels resorts in the past and never experienced anything like this. I am beyond disappointed.

Original review: May 27, 2016

On April 1st, my wife, kids and I were driving through I-95 SC. It was late so I called several hotels, they were all full. Finally Howard Johnson said they had a room for us. I made the reservation. So we went to the hotel and I was told there was no reservation for me. I was told to call another HJ hotel at Beaufort SC (approx. 30 min from where we were) to check if they had our reservation - they told me there was no reservation for us. I called HJ and complained about it and asked them to cancel my reservation. Well, when I received my CC statement I noticed that they charged me for the night. I told my CC Company that I was disputing the charge on the grounds mentioned above.

Well, HJ submitted a letter to my CC Company fabricating the following information: 1. That I had directly made the reservation online. 2. They submitted an "online log" supposedly to show that I did an online reservation. A total fabrication because I did accessed the net to make the reservation. 3. That I was a no show at the Beaufort hotel (mindful, this was not even the place I had made the reservation); the same place/HJ hotel that told me that there was no reservation under my name. Be extremely careful with Howard Johnson - they are not to be trusted.

Original review: May 2, 2016

On 4/20/2016 I have went online to reserve a room. It was so late at night I guess that it made it for the following night. When I went in to get my room the man at the front desk told me that I did it for the wrong day but he would give me a room but it was not what I needed. He told me that I would not be charged for the night I was not going to use and he would cancel it. Not only did I still get charged twice for a room I didn't want but I was deceived into thinking that I would not get charged. Booking says the hotel should have cancelled it and the man at the front desk said that booking had too. Who is responsible to cancel it when I said I didn't want it? Who lied to me? I want a refund please. I made this reservation because my daughter went through heart surgery and I didn't have that money to spare. Charging 120 dollars for a room is awful. Legal thieves.

Original review: April 28, 2016

I've been living at Howard Johnson hotel in Mesa AZ since November of 2015. I started working in December 2015. I was working from Monday through Sunday from the time I woke up it seemed like till I went to bed. I was working house keeping which I loved doing. I love the boss Dora. She was the best. I tended to meet my guest every need and want no matter what it was. I made sure they were happy and satisfied. Since ANOTHER HOUSE KEEPER WASN'T WASHING THE LINEN I LET THE OWNERS KNOW AND I WAS BEING IGNORED UNTIL DORA SEEN IT HERSELF AND FIRED THE OTHER HOUSEKEEPER. I have been fired. Howard Johnson in Mesa AZ has lost a lot of guest. I have been kicked out of my room but more like my home to where I'm now homeless and broke.

I had no one to help me take my stuff off property SO I asked if I could put my stuff in storage in the back with another guest stuff and they said yes. Well on 4/27/15 my stuff was taken out of storage and no one notified me that my stuff was removed and people were taking what they wanted. Well now I'm going beyond corporate now because Mr. ** does treat good people like like**. And the people who steal from him and do drugs or do bad things to his property he treats good. Well ** is wrong and so is his son, Liz and a few other people. SO PLS DON'T RENT AT HOWARD JOHNSON IN MESA NOR RAMADA ON DOBSON AND THE 60 IN MESA AZ.

Original review: April 18, 2016

I checked in on 3/12/16, checked out 3/13/16 so I know housekeeping went in remade the bed which at this time I forgot my jewelry box under mattress - called back to see if it was turned in by housekeeping. I was told no - in the meantime I was told I would be contacted by hotel Manager. As of this day I have not been contacted by a manager so I called again... so bottom line don't leave anything of value. It won't be returned to you. Housekeeping not honest - wonder if they do background check! On these people... please return my jewelry!!!

Original review: March 27, 2016

Before I arrived at the hotel, I received a call from a woman claiming she worked for Howard Johnson and the room I reserved was not available but they had another room which was not smoking which I had reserved for and I asked if we could get a discount. She... stated NO. I ask why not if the room I reserve was for smoking... So I let that go. When I arrived the lady in the front asked if I knew about the room change. I told her yes, then she asked if the lady I spoke with earlier had told me they would charge me $40 extra... I told her no! I then noticed she wrote no discount in caps on my reservation but failed to say anything about $40 extra. I was so upset.

When I got inside of the room it smelled bad and it was a mess - dirty and gross! The room I had rented before was nicer and smelled better than the non smoking... I had rented the room for two nights and the next day when I returned from shopping I noticed things moved from my bags. The housekeeping must of went through my things. I will Never stay here again! I will also be calling corporate office to make an official complaint!!

Howard Johnson Company Information