2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.5/5 (1613 ratings)

About Hertz

Hertz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hertz?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

On website they offer a pick up and delivery service for no additional cost. So I filled out my address. They never showed up. So I drove over to the Hertz location 30 minutes late. The lady just said, “Yea there is a glitch on our website. You have to call and confirm”. So I’m there at the location to pick up my car. There isn’t one available. So what’s the point on a reservation. I had to wait 45 minutes. Meanwhile leaving my car in the parking lot. The lady said, "We can’t be responsible for your car if you leave it here." So I left my car in parking lot. I took the risk. So I’m told I’m upgraded to a better car. I’m driving in the desert. My check engine lights goes on and now it’s dark. What a comfortable feeling this is.

So I made it to my destination and called Hertz. They told me to drive by the nearest Hertz to exchange my car. My thought was the car since it was late never checked out for maintenance issues. Was it delivered to me not serviced because of their late schedule. It was also delivered to me on 1/2 empty tank. So I’ve tried to contact Hertz 3 times. They don’t answer me at all. They keep sending me countless surveys and that’s it. So beware of this company. By the way this all happened at the Temecula, California location. However I contacted the corporate office and got nowhere. So stay away from this company.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I was deployed to Houston, Tx. as part of the flood response team. Due to airport closures I flew into DFW, Dallas and rented my car there. When my time in Texas was up, in an effort to save taxpayer money I called Hertz to see if I could return my rental in Houston. Gladly, for a $1000.00 fee. All other rental companies were waiving this fee due to the disaster. Not Hertz. I ended up driving back to Dallas. The person I spoke to about this could barely speak English and was extremely hard to understand, as I don't think he could understand me.

Now it is 4 months later and I discover a charge to my credit card for a toll pass. While I was there I ended up on 1 toll road where I could not pay cash. Houston is very confusing on this subject. So, apparently in the fine print on the contract it says that once you use this feature they charge $4.95 per day for the duration of the rental. So a $1.10 toll cost me $25.00. And the charge came in so late that I cannot charge it to my expenses. Nice way to run a business. If there were minus stars that is what I would have put.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

On February 7th, I traveled to Birmingham, Alabama. I pre-paid for a mid-size SUV from Hertz. Upon my delayed arrival, I went through the entire rental car process at the counter-then was told... "We have you in a mini-van, it's an upgrade at no additional charge". I informed the person working for Hertz I didn't want this car, I wanted what I had paid for. The employee became argumentative and called the manager. The manager showed up and basically told me that's all they had, had no idea when they would get what I had actually paid for. I called the 800 number, and was told I could get the minivan and exchange it at a different Hertz location. I kept informing any Hertz employee that I wasn't comfortable driving such a large car. I argued my point that I had pre-paid for this car-they should have something in this category for me. The manager called me disruptive and refused to rent a car to me. (She also called the airport police on me.)

The manager informed me that they would refund my money that I had paid... I went to another counter, the employee at this counter refused me service. I went to another counter-this employee (Enterprise) told me they couldn't take walk-ups but if I would go online she would get me a car. I went back inside the airport-5 police officers walked up to me (I was visibly upset at this point). They asked if I was ok... I informed them "yes, I'm the disturbance at the Hertz counter". I informed the policemen of what happened. They were appalled and took my side. (Actually went back over to the rental car desk for my protection.) I have never felt so ganged up on in my life.

I have called Hertz-no one has returned my call. I have emailed them. They haven't returned that either. NOR have they refunded my money. I have filed complaints with the airport. Oh, by the way, I'm disabled... This is how Hertz treats people with disabilities. Yes, I have informed them of my disability every time I have communicated with them-they don't care. Again, how this company treats people with disabilities.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Everything on my vacation went perfect as planned EXCEPT the rental car. When I was online planning my trip, I went looking for a car rental. Hertz was cheaper. You definitely get what you pay for. I walked up to the counter and they couldn't find my reservation. Even though when I put in the airport I wanted to pick the car up at, it was reserved clear across the city. Even though at the airport I was at they had thousands of cars, It couldn't help me. Even though it was the same flipping company I had to go get a cab across the city to get rental, they couldn't just let me rent a car from the airport unless I paid an additional $250. They told me I should have known the listed address on the rental, even though it said Orlando, wasn't the airport.

As I walked away, they told me I wouldn't find anything cheaper. They also couldn't cancel it for me at the counter so I had to sit in the airport and call. I spoke to a person who said I would get a full refund. Two weeks later and still nothing. Call again and I am told the employee NEVER processed the refund! In the middle of that call to issue the refund, the call dropped. Never ever again will I deal with this company. Horrible customer service and policies! Sticking with Enterprise.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Last October I booked a flight to Frankfurt/Germany, and also booked my car for this location. Dollar was fairly competitive. My quoted cost was approx. Euro 290.15 for 13 days. Arriving in Frankfurt I had to find out that Dollar is a branch, belonging to Hertz. At the counter I showed them my letter from VISA, that I can waive the insurance, that I will be covered by VISA. I was then told, that they do not accept VISA coverage, and that I need to buy their insurance. I told them, that I do not want to buy their insurance, and that I do not want to buy an insurance at all, that I will pay cash for any issues. They cannot give me a car without insurance. NO CAR, after a fairly long trip. So I had to buy their insurance. At the end at a total of $587.54. The car E 187.31, fees E10.92, Insurance, including theft E 203.53, Service charge E 92.31?? For what? Totaling E493.73, + 19% tax E93.81 = E587.54.

Later I found out, that Hertz tells their people not to accept American Visa credit cards for insurances, which was never mentioned in their original bid with Dollar.

It is just a scam, so they can make more commission. That was the last time, that I rented from that company.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Upon renting the car it had 20-30,000 miles on it, not in great shape. It had scratches and dings here and there. Upon returning car I pointed these out to the attendant. Nothing was said or done by Hertz. 4 months later I received a bill for $393.00 for scratch repair for an alleged incident that I was involved in. There was no incident and there was no scratches caused by me. Viking Billing Services is a scam to bilk the Hertz rental customer out of extra money. They asked me to send pictures to prove I did not cause the scratch. Up to this point who takes pictures?? My advice is to take pictures and a video of any car you rent from now on. I will. Also I will never rent another car from Hertz. I was a Gold Club member... ha ha.

Resolution response: Feb. 21, 2018

This is the 2nd of 2 reviews. I gave Hertz 1 star because after 17 years they wouldn't extend my 2-week rental for 1 more day, claiming I had to return the car to the airport and then re-rent another car for the final day. Afterwards, I contacted a national manager and they somehow were able to accommodate me (although they didn't tell me until I called back a day before the rental, and then I was told my extension had been granted). So with 5 stars now, the 2 reviews average 3, fair for THIS transaction. Hertz is usually very good, and I've been loyal for 17 years.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I've been President’s Circle for a # of years, and Gold otherwise, since 2001. Rented a car early Feb at LAX for 2 weeks and my flight changed, so needed to extend it one day. Liz #** (Rental Extension) told me that "someone is going to buy the car and so we cannot extend the one day. You have to bring it in to the airport on time and then rent a different car." I will return it on time then, and go to a DIFFERENT car rental company for the one day. I will not rent from Hertz ever again. How is that for customer service?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Do not rent here. This is quickly becoming one of the most hated car rental companies in existence. Expensive, low worker morale, horrible customer service and incompetent employees. They try to squeeze every dime they can out of their customers. They will even charge you to extend your rental. So, you are going to charge me more money in order to spend more money with your company??? Renter beware!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have been charged for roadside assistance. While on call I was said, "You have an insurance," and so I won't be charged for roadside assistance. And at the very first will like to inform you that my 1st car that you gave me its battery was going flat and how can I be responsible for the same? In fact there were no electronic device connect to nor was any lights on its battery was having issues since start, 2nd car I was given after change was just give me the average of 6.5km per litre, I really had to spend more than double the amount of the fuel required, in case car was showing I will go more 100km. It didn't even went 38km further. I am really upset with all the service provided by Hertz. I have already complained about all this on Christus airport on 13th February 18 but till the date I have not received any of responses.

Please return all the charges charged to my credit card and in fact pay me for all the extra fuel I have paid for and rest of the problems I had to face because of your really poor condition cars. Please contact me on ** and let me know why my complaints were not taken care of till the date and why I to suffer for charges that as said to me as free on call and why I not be paid back for all the extra fuel I had to fuel up to your car that gives such a poor average. I have really been hearing so good about your company but never thought will receive such a kind of service from your side.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Needed a minivan as we were delivering some rare antique bicycles across the country, so made the Hertz reservation 3 months in advance. I called to confirm 3 days beforehand. When I got there they said they did not have a minivan for me. Offered to give me another vehicle, but I had to have a minivan to fit the bikes. They were visible annoyed with me not accepting the "upgrade", and I stood there for 45 minutes till they found a minivan. They were very annoyed with me.

Then they told me I couldn't use my debit card to hold/pay for it, because I was "local". Huh? I had never heard of such a thing, they told me the website says it and so does the phone recording if you call in. I argued it didn't, I knew nothing about that and it made no sense, I'd rented from Enterprise many times before the same way, or I would have made different arrangements. They tried to prove their point by looking it up on website, it wasn't there. They called the 1-800# and put the recording on speaker phone for all to hear, they were trying to embarrass me, 6 employees were at the counter doing nothing but trash talking the situation and me- but the recording didn't say it. Then they were even more annoyed with me, I asked to speak to a supervisor. A short time later the supervisor ok'd it. Sheesh.

Then they printed my charge slip, and it was $75 higher than my confirmation email said, and they argued with me that it was because there were 2 extra hours added on due to the time difference in Calif... I booked it online, so wouldn't it have calculated it at that time? At this point they were being openly rude, rolling their eyes at each other, saying they "were done" dealing with me, I should go upstairs to another rental agency and rent there. I was nearly in tears by this point, never had I been treated so awfully by a business.

I decided I'd deal with the price later, as I was in a time crunch, I needed to load a lot of stuff up while it was still daylight, for a 6 am departure the next morning. I went out to find the minivan. When I got in it, I noticed the passenger seat was badly stained and ripped, so I went to find someone out in the lot. I had to go to the Gold booth as I couldn't find anyone else, and I certainly didn't want to go back into the counter people... A guy there said he'd help, and I was grateful. He said that vehicle shouldn't have passed inspection and shouldn't have been rented. After 30 minutes he found another minivan, and he helped me get out of the gate because it was a "special case". I couldn't see inside the van as it was dark in the lot, but it had an awful smell like vomit and Lysol.

As I was driving I was noticing it was very dirty inside, and it looked like passenger door panel and speaker grill did indeed have vomit on it. Gross. It took me an hour to get home, and then I inspected the van- it had just under 60,000 miles on it, which was strange and very high for a top company rental- then I saw all the dents and paint scrapes on the body, and interior was disgusting. It had a sticker on the window, which I was told later meant it was marked as an auction car. I started cleaning the inside and I decided to check the tires, and the front's were new, the rears were practically bald. I was horrified, I couldn't drive 2,200 miles across country with bald tires!

I called Customer Service, they told me to call Corporate, Corporate told me to call Customer Service. Customer Service said they couldn't help much, and sounded like they couldn't care less about the bind I was now in. I pressed them to find me another van, they made a half-hearted attempt by trying to call my local Hertz, but said the # was busy. They wanted to conclude the call but I asked them to try it again, again they said they couldn't get thru. I was really upset by this time, I had planned this trip for a long time, and people were counting on me to deliver their bikes in 2 different states, and my son had been looking forward to this trip for 2 years. I had prepaid all my hotels along the way and they were non-refundable.

I called Coon Rapids, MN Hertz myself, and got thru right away. They were very nice. They had a minivan, it had just come in but I could come get it. I went right over there, was about 20 minutes from my house. By now I am really behind, it's getting dark. They looked up the vehicle I drove in, and said it never should have been rented, and there was a big discrepancy on the mileage, couldn't believe they'd given it to me. The van they had was very dirty needing a wash, and needed interior cleaned, and some gas, but they credited me $100 for cleaning the interior of the other one, and by now my scheduled rental time was 3 hours later.

I took the nice van, cleaned the interior, loaded it up in the dark, and then ran it thru a car wash and filled the gas up ($18). I submitted a complaint online to Hertz a week ago but have not heard anything back. I do have pics of all 3 vans but they are on my son's phone and I can't get them right now, but I do have them and can provide them to Hertz. I will never rent from Hertz again, that company does not care about their customers!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

A $1.70 for one toll in June 2017, and bill in February 2018 for the toll plus 9.90 in service charges. This is worse than a loan shark. Hertz never did this before. I am out of here Hertz (and Plate Pass).

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I was involved in a vehicle accident and the At-Fault driver's insurance (STATE FARM) made a reservation for me with Hertz and when I picked up the vehicle I found that it only had 3/4 of a tank of fuel rather than a full tank. As I was told by the rep so I went back into the office to inform the rep and she told me that she would change the paperwork to reflect the fuel difference and I didn't have to sign any paperwork reflecting this change. THE REP LIED, however I took a picture of the mileage and fuel level in the vehicle myself as I'd already had one bad experience with this company previously of being over charged!! When I dropped the vehicle off I had just left my doctor's office with a confirmed case of the Flu and felt horrible so I didn't go over the receipt for drop off until the next day, 1/26/18 at which time I found I had been charged for fuel.

I called the rental office and was told the manager was not in and I would receive a call on Monday, 1/29/18. I called the rental office again on Monday and spoke with the manager who said she would review my contract and get back with me, I didn't receive a call back so I once again called the rental office on Tuesday, 1/30/18, and spoke with the manager who stated she had reviewed the pictures of the fuel level and confirmed it did in fact only have 3/4 of a tank of gas and she would be requesting a credit for the fuel I was charged in about a week and that I would receive an email showing that she was requesting the credit, I NEVER RECEIVED THAT EMAIL.

I checked my credit card on 2/6/18 and found that I had still not received the credit so I contacted the corporate office and explained the situation, the rep put me on hold and contacted the local rental office. After being on hold for over 20 minutes she came back and said that local office stated the tank was full and I would not be receiving the credit. UMMM WHAT, so I asked to speak with the corporate office rep's supervisor. I explained my situation to the supervisor and that I had taken a picture of the fuel level myself, this supervisor had one of the nastiest attitudes and was just plain RUDE. The supervisor proceeded to tell me that I could send the picture to "VERIFY@HERTZ.COM" but that they still didn't have to issue a credit for the gas I was INCORRECTLY billed for. I lost my mind at that point and proceeded to tell her that was THEFT and I would be calling my credit card company to dispute the charge and I hung up.

I then contacted the local rental office myself and was told the manager would not be in until Noon and I would receive a call back. I called the local office again at 12:15 PM and spoke with the manager, Helen **, who again acknowledged that she knew the car had went out with 3/4 of a tank of fuel and that the corporate office had probably not called there but I informed her that the corporate office stated they had called. I asked what the hold up was on the credit at which time she stated that "Brice" was out and that he had to be the one to issue the credit. I explained to her that this was not satisfactory as I had returned their vehicle almost 2 weeks prior and that I had contacted my attorney to advise him of the issue I was having with this company.

I've rented from this company twice and have been OVERCHARGED BOTH TIMES and had to file complaints and get management involved to receive a rightful credit of their charges. This time I've brought my attorney into this as this company has NO RIGHT to STEAL people's MONEY and DISRESPECT customers. I will not just let this matter go at this point as it has now become the principle of the matter and I WILL take this AS FAR as I have to in order to see that I receive my rightful credit as I DON'T APPRECIATE THIS COMPANY STEALING FROM ME. I will never rent from this company again and I advise others to not as well, save your time and money and just go to Enterprise, they don't steal from their customers!!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

My wife and I made a reservation with Hertz to take a trip to Virginia Beach for our granddaughter's first birthday. The renal agent asked for our information, ran our credit and said we didn't qualify... and just walked away from the counter. Lousy customer service. We drove down the street to Enterprise and had no issues whatsoever. The young man who rented to us was amazing! He got us the car we needed at a reasonable price. I understand that employees don't have control over company policies but you can still handle customers with respect. The guy at Hertz didn't care that we needed a rental car in order to make it to our granddaughter's first birthday, he walked away without so much as an apology for not being able to provide us with service. Customer service is everything!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I was charged with around $600 of insurance fees for two weeks rental without my consent. I asked the guy at the counter and he was like "Oh this is the fees, everything is normal". This is a company trip so I trusted that guy until I found out my colleague previous rental did not have any of these charges! I have the option to cancel those insurance but the counter guy did not tell me about it. THIS IS PURE SCAM!!! Called their customer service and they just kept pushing the responsibility around, worse customer service ever! They told me I have to go back to where I pick up the car so I ended up driving 1 hour back to airport only to be told that I have to bring back the GPS case to make fees changes??!!! And this is not the cancellation fees, they just check out my car and I have to re-rent it. Please be careful when you are renting car with Hertz, they like to scam customer as I read from other reviews too.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

We were told by Keisha in Alexandria, Louisiana that a charge of 300. Dollars would be added because of pet hair. We asked the young man how much for us to use their vacuum cleaner and they said no. My husband is in an unknown town looking for a vacuum cleaner. Further as my husband was ready to leave Keisha came out to take pictures of the car as if my 63 year old husband was going to destroy the car. Needless to say our precious and limited time is being wasted on something Hertz will do anyway. Branch Manager Shanyrica ** if she was there she never presented herself. 3 Hertz people just sitting inside just doing nothing. 1/31/18

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Watch out for sneaky changes that will add up to 20-50% more than the already way overpriced advertised price. We were charged $110 for "gas and services" after forgetting to refuel a tiny economy car and an additional $20 for the "Concession recovery fee"... All said and done we paid $350 for a 1 day rental... I will never rent from Hertz again, I would rather walk... They must call it hertz because it HURTS.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I asked for a car with Bluetooth. The guy at the counter told me the car had it but it did not. I got the insurance because I was not sure if mine covered it. The next day I called my insurance company and they did and I tried to call corporate Hertz to get it off. They said I had to call the branch. I called the branch 3 times and no one answered. The next day I called and was on hold over 15 min. Then someone picked up and hung up on me. Then I called back. Was still on hold. Guy finally picked up said I had to come in. Said I can go to location where I was but I could not cause I had things scheduled. I sent my boyfriend cause he was on the lease too and then they said they need the car too. The car made a scary noise and then when I turned it in the only credited one day of the insurance.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I used Hertz because it was the closest location to the dealership with available car when my car had emergency issues. The initial day rate was agreeable. When I found out that the damage is covered by my insurance and will take several days for the adjuster to check, I called for an extension. What was not mentioned was the RATE IS HIGHER WHEN YOU SUPPORT THEIR BUSINESS, and use their car for a longer period of time. I called their customer service after returning their car and unfortunately she affirmed how this organization do business. I do not recommend Hertz.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

The car shop called them for them to pick me up, they said they sent a Lyft, after waiting 20 minutes for a Lyft that never arrived, I decided to just walk to them. I don't think they ever called for one. I called a wk in advance and scheduled for a car pickup, once I got there there wasn't a record of the reservation. I asked for a breakdown of what I am getting charged to make sure I wasn't paying for something I didn't want, they said just to sign and I would have it emailed to me... Signing something first implies I am in agreement. How can I be asked to sign if I don't see what I am agreeing to?

The car reeked of cigarette smoke and was dirty on the inside. I had to take my own pictures because his pictures that I am agreeing to came out dirty. I got an email that said I completed a survey, when I looked at what I supposedly rated, it was clear to me that the representative filled it out marking great for customer service and cleanliness of the car and never showed that to me. He made me sign thinking I was signing to renting the vehicle not signing the survey... This is fraud. Why would he fill it out for me? I called to voice my concerns and speak to a supervisor and he said he didn't have one and I can speak to him... So no one has a boss at the car rental?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

While visiting family we were in a car accident (not our fault) and have to have a rental car. I choose the option to have the rental car drop off service. The representative showed up during nap time stating that they had staffing issues and I would have to take him back to the office... They did not inform me of this before the representative was standing in my living room with the contract almost finished. I was expected to wake three children and get into a car with a random man I didn't know or trust. Upon returning the car to the designated spot I get a bill in the mail months later for 53.42 for gas because the EMPLOYEE had to drive the car from the designated drop off spot to THEIR warehouse 15 miles away.

We live overseas so in order to contact their customer support I had to stay up until two am to get ahold of them. Only to hear, "You need to go online and create a complaint." Get online. It refers me to calling their customer service. While racking up international minutes on my cell phone bill the customer service agent once again says that they can not help me and I will need to file a complaint online. I file a complaint only to get a prompt saying, "Although we have received your complaint we may not respond." UMM WHAT? I once again return to calling for help only to finally get transferred to headquarters who tells me I will need to pay the bill in person because they have already closed my rental agreement.

I am NOT flying 2500 miles to pay a freaking bill. Six customer service reps later they finally let me pay my bill over the phone! I will never use or recommend Hertz car rental services to anybody. Not even my worst enemy. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME, MONEY OR SANITY ON A COMPANY WITH ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

For starters me and my husband selected a luxury SUV (Range Rover) online through HERTZ. Being a gold member you can just pick any car without any hassle. So needless to say We picked up our SUV. THE ONLY REASON I RENTED A RENTAL FYI WAS FOR THE SPACE! I own a very reliable car, but needed an SUV because we were getting our kiddos from their summer vacation so they had tons of stuff. Not even four hours in a drunk driver ran a red light and totaled the car! I was unable to walk, but my husband was able to drive. We had no choice but to continue our journey. Our kids were by themselves waiting for us in Alabama.

So I called your main number, informed them of everything and made another reservation, but they said we had to drive two hours to get another car. Therefore had to pay an Uber from Slidell to New Orleans airport! Once we arrived waited around 30 minutes for the Manager. She informed us they had nothing. I mean nothing for us!! Are you serious! I started crying. Mind you I can’t walk. Covered head to toe in bruises and bleeding but no SUV OR CAR! Finally after another hour of arguing she gave us a car. Not what I wanted or PAID for. I didn’t need a car. I own a very reliable and car. I told her the whole point of renting an SUV was for the room. The whole point of driving an hour or so here and making another reservation was for an SUV. She was nothing but rude.

Then on top of all that and the craziness I left my ID because she asked for it and took off. I called nonstop and put a lost ticket and never heard back! So I had to take off work and go get another one. Needless to say I asked how was I going to get refunded since this is not what I requested. She informed call customer service once it is all closed. Oh ok. Did that nonstop. No response. You can never get a LIVE PERSON. Omg. Ridiculous. No answers at all. I have the proof where I talked to your reps on Facebook too who were completely inconsiderate and rude!

So therefore I informed my lawyer and credit card company and they took my money back! I am just trying to speak with someone so I can pay the correct amount. Not the amount for an SUV SINCE I DIDN'T GET THAT! But instead they sent me to collections. After 15 emails too trying to reach them not one response. I have done everything in my power to get this resolved so I am going to just warn everyone else. PLEASE DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM HERTZ CAR RENTAL!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I rented car in Hertz in Cancun. The worst company I have ever met. I wrote 5+ emails and complaint phone call. 2 weeks passed, the thing still have not settled down. I never imagine this experience is truly my nightmare. Here is details for the worst service I have ever met: On Dec 24th, We booked the car via Official Website. On Dec 27th, 2017. We received confirmation email, showing that we CAN pick up our car at 8:30 am at Avenida Yaxchilan 27. On Jan 1st, 2018. 9:00. We arrived the site in the confirmation email. And the staff told us the car is unavailable and told us to get the car at 11:00 am in another site. 11:00. We arrived the site 77503 Cancun. And finishing all the procedure which took 50 min! During the process, the staff did not take the initiative to propose any compensation. We proposed to take the car extended for 3 hours. And they agreed but asked us to make a change on our own.

Under our request, they help us to make the call. And during the process, we found in the first pick-up point, they did not inform us the whole price including the tax. 11:50. Check the car. The car has multiple scratches outside. And the staff ONLY checked the exterior of the car, no internal checks were made. 12:00. We drove the rented car back to hotel and found the trunk cannot be closed. (The staff of the hotel can verify.) So we drove the car back to the pickup point to repair. (Note: at this time, only one staff is available in the point.) He cannot repair our car. And they asked us to drive back to the first pickup point to repair. We thought the car is not safe and we proposed to cancel the transaction and asked he to call the manager. He said he would call the manager to cancel our transaction. So we WAITED and WAITED. BUT ACTUALLY HE JUST BOUGHT TIME AND LIED TO US!

12:20. We decided to take ADO to Chichen Itza. (We have already booked the hotels in Chichen Itza and Tulum). According to the timetable, the last ADO (first class) would leave in 13:00. The staff still did not settle down our problem and not gave us clear answer. At the same time, he settled others customers problems. And gave us vague explanation. He said he would check for this and after that we can cancel the transaction. The other customer can verify (I remember he drove Jeep, he heard our conversation and told us that you must be at 20 Minutes departure, or cannot catch the bus). What the staff did was buying the time, keeping us waiting and letting us think the transaction can be canceled. They never thought of canceling the transaction! LIAR! Around 20 minutes later, they call the mechanic to repair the trunk problem. At that time, they asked us to move our packages inside the car and told us nothing.

So we still thought we could cancel the transaction! Waiting for the repair process, they received a total of 3-4 groups of customers. And did not tell us any details on the problem, we still thought that the canceling was in progress. After repair was completed, he told us that we could not cancel the transaction. We re-checked, but also found that the trunk still could not be closed. They still ignored our demand for canceling the transaction. They continued to repair. Then they told us the trunk was good and we could drive the car now, no need to cancel. We could not BEAR them anymore. Wasting the time here were meaningless. We asked for the cancellation of the transaction directly. They said that they did not know how to deal with this thing. And they would send an email the next morning telling us how much we will be charged for breach of contract. (10 days passed NOTHING comes!!!)

However, there are no rules in the contract to deal with such canceling cases. We asked them to see the relevant rules, but they said the company did not have such rules, and some of them were confidential. And refused to produce a report on this matter to us, only internal to the company. And they wrote in Spanish, not in English. We cannot verify the authenticity and accuracy of the whole thing. Finally, they did not have any thought of making any compensation for the trip. We were delayed and time we wasted. The only thing they cared about was charge us for breach of the contract. They never obey the contract! (FUNNY!) Most funny thing is they pointed out that we cannot participate in the entire pricing arrangement. Only they have the right to decide how much to be charged due to the breach of the contract. Only Hertz can have a voice on the price! And we did not find relevant content about this in the contract we sign.

15:00 We bought Second-class bus to Chichen Itza. (No first-class bus available at that time.) It took us 5 hours to arrive Chichen Itza (arrived at 20:00). The whole day was ruined. And we CANCELED our plan to Tulum (2 days trip). And the staff never thought of giving compensation. They only want to charged us. Jan 10th, 2018. I am writing the complaint letter. And UNTIL NOW, I have not yet received any information from Hertz which should be on Jan 2nd! After I made 5th phone call, I got my bill and was charged 100 dollar for 15 min drive. (Penalty because the car in Hertz is insecure. FUNNY). Hertz in Cancun does not have business qualification. They only checked the exterior of the vehicle without any check on internal and vehicle performance. They cannot fix problems in time. They do not have relative rules and mature contract items.

No clear contract and do not obey the contract. Hertz unilaterally break the treaty (confirmation letter). They did not keep their promise and told us the confirmation letter did not take effect. Hertz has no relative policy and rules for facing the cancelling the rent (which should be common situations). Hertz has no relative policy and rules for refund. Hertz set unilateral pricing. And as a company, Hertz do not keep the promise. The staff did not tell the truth and used vague words to buy time. Due to the vague words, we mistakenly thought we could cancel the transaction. What the staff told us was inconsistent. Because of this, we missed the last first-class bus, ruining our whole plan.

The staff did not get enough training and Too few staff. Only 1 person dealt the problem. After 1 hour, only 2 staff. At the same time, they handled around 5-7 customers without handling our affairs. The bad attitude of the staff. The staff in both pickup points had bad attitude to us. They gave us vague words and never thought of compensation. Hertz in United States also made nothing. After I made several phone call, nobody want to know what happened. Then only said I should directly contact to Hertz in Cancun to settle down.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I had issues in three consecutive rentals at Hertz office in Buffalo airport in 2017. I filed complaints in all occasions. No action was taken. Early January 2018 I was notified at the exit gate in O'Hare I was on the "do not rent" list so they wouldn't rent me a car whose reservation was confirmed by them. No notification about the issue was sent to me. I missed my business meeting due to the problem Hertz created. I requested an explanation in writing to their CEO, COO and customer service. No answer. Hertz don't care about customer nor safety. The two latter issues I had was due to safety related subject. Unprofessional, unethical and sneaky company. Bad management. Unqualified and uneducated employees.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I went to visit my 85 year old uncle, who I hadn't seen since my father died in 1984. I reserved and paid for a car for the day of my arrival. Upon my arrival, was informed I needed to pay a fee of 200.00 over what they had already taken for the car. No place in their process of renting the car did they inform me there would be a deposit. Unfortunately I was making this trip on a very tight budget and could only pay it if I could split it between 2 credit cards, no, then asked if I could pay cash, no. I flew from Ohio to Oregon to see my last surviving relative from my father's family and am now stuck without transportation. Hertz has the rudest, unhelpful, unconcerned bunch of crap people I have ever dealt with. Will never use them again and will advise everyone I can to stay far, far, away. When asked about a refund for money they had already taken, I was told they didn't know, I would have to contact their corporate office. NEVER rent from them again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I rented a car from the Vienna Airport Austria Hertz office. On returning to the airport at the end of my visit the airport the office was already closed and so I left my keys in the market key drop box and took my flight. Some weeks later I was surprised to receive a letter saying that due to a mark on the side of the car EUR 600 had been taken from my credit card to cover repair. When I complained that no damage had been done to the car whilst I had it I was send 2 photographs which purported to show the damage but actually showed no distinguishable mark on the car at all. Hertz refused to provide any remedy. As a result I have never rented a car from them again and would urge others to do the same.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

We verified the morning of our flight with the Montrose, CO office someone would be there when our flight arrived at 6 pm and we were PROMISED they would stay open to wait for us since my husband is 5 star gold... We arrive and they were closed and no further instructions for our rental are available to us. Thankfully Avis rented us a car for 2x the Hertz rental. In multiple follow up phone calls and e-mails to receive a refund for the difference in rental and some accountability for the situation #Hertz has proven to have the WORST customer service I have ever experienced. DO NOT ever rent from them. They are unreliable and make no effort to resolve things if a mistake or problem does arise.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Contacted 4am about fraudulent charge on Chase debit. Called Agency at 3600 Gus Thomasson Road Suite 156 Mesquite Texas 75150 and asked for all information on my account activity. They said just the $50 hold fee (which I was aware of and authorized). Next I contacted Customer Relations and asked if there would be any reason for this. They said "sometimes a fee is charged again if the rental agreement has expired and no reauthorization has occurred". Next, I contacted the Mazda of Mesquite Dealership who is paying 100% of rental cost while my car is repaired. They confirmed that there is no reauthorization necessary as all payments taken care of by Mazda. I am about to ask Chase Bank to investigate this further, and I will pursue it myself. Some person through Hertz Rental used my debit card to make a fraudulent unauthorized purchase. I will NEVER use Hertz rental again, free or not!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

** Hertz, your company is a piece of ** and I hope you go under so you can experience being stranded somewhere with no money. On January 6th our car broke down and we needed a rental car, the only problem was that our credit cards got stolen. I was able to set up the reservation online with a relative’s credit card and me as the driver, but when I walked 3 miles to pick up the car I was informed about your company’s ** policy and that I was ** out of luck. Why in the ** would I be able to set up the reservation like that online, shouldn’t your system catch that? Had I known that I wasn’t going to be able to pick up the car, I would have rented the U-Haul I used as a rental to get home in the first place. There should be some sort of system in place to use another person’s credit card with the right authorization in case of an emergency. So thanks for ** nothing Hertz, other than stranding me in Iowa.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

By December 20, 2017 I made a car rent reservation to Hertz through the Hertz app. I have a member gold, then when I I arrived to Las Vegas airport to pick up the car at Hertz location my confirmation number from December 20 doesn't exist, but them charge me the agreed amount from December 20, 2017 I paid in advance as "save and pay now" and the amount was deduced from my credit card immediately in December 20, according to the front desk my confirmacion doesn't exist, then at this point a make another reservation. The point is they don't reimbursed me the first amount took from my credit card, then I talk to my bank credit card to dispute the amount subtracted from credit card. Today is January 6, 2018 and nothing happen yet about the reimburse. But I trust in my credit card bank to resolve it, I don't trust anymore in Hertz and never rent a car again with Hertz.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Rented a car online then get there and oh they don't that have the car. Plenty of cars in lot but they say only thing they can rent me is $100 more. That is crazy. Does not apologize. Called customer service no help!!! Use to rent from them all the time in a different city no problems but take your business elsewhere!!

Hertz Company Information