Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.23/5
Based on 2,090 ratings submitted in the last year

1738 Greyhound Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

We went the first time by bus to New York. and the last time! It started with the bus terminal. It was hot and full with fumes from the buses. The bus was old and the seat was old, not for a 12 hour drive. The driver treated the passengers like animals???? When we booked the trip we that the buses are so old.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Greyhound has hands down the worst customer service. I will never ride Greyhound again. They cancelled my bus at the last minute with no prior warning and have no answers. They literally do not know if their drivers will even show up to work. Do not I repeat do not ever use Greyhound.

Original review: July 29, 2019

New York to Boston. Horrible old bus. Driver didn’t know the route. Made several mistakes. Never apologized or told us what was happening. Took us 2 more hours. Made few unsafe moves and very unsteady driving. Never again with this company.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Easy to book. Once bus was in motion found that bus driver was not experienced. (Trainee) Trainer on the bus did not help this driver. We ended up in neighborhoods, almost crashed several times and arrived late at Houston Terminal. Missed the other bus. Stranded without food, or motel room for the night. My wife paid someone to drive to Houston to get me. Never again will I take a Greyhound Bus. Not the first bad experience with Greyhound but it will be the last. James **

Original review: July 24, 2019

Basically, I feel that they are either using very questionable & possibly less than honorable tactics to enlarge their revenue. They seem to be taking unfair advantage of customers that are at their mercy because of lack of service from other transportation lines. They institute new policies that are not documented on tickets, they ask for exorbitant fees (in cash) to remedy problems and they tell customers that if they don't pay these fees, their tickets will expire and they will have no recourse and lose the full value of the ticket. This has happened many times in NYC, where a new policy has been instituted with regard to their Atlantic City line.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greyhound?

Original review: July 21, 2019

Let me start by saying I will NEVER use Greyhound service again and would recommend you spend your money elsewhere. I booked a trip for my little cousin from St. Louis, MO to Phoenix, AZ, a 33 hr trip. He was to arrive on Friday at 8:45 am. He had an interview scheduled here on Friday at 2pm. Which he did not make. For the entire duration of his trip there was no AC and it’s the middle of July. The bus broke down a total of 3 times. Twice in Oklahoma and in Albuquerque, NM. The bus broke down at 12am and the passengers sat outside in Albuquerque until 4pm later that evening. He finally arrived 16 hours later.

I called Greyhound customer service for a refund at least half of my purchase price which was $208. And all they could offer me was $57 or $115 voucher, as if I would ever use there service again! The customer service rep could not tell me how they arrived at $57. There is no integrity, compassion or customer value in the culture of Greyhound. They do not deserve your business or money.

Original review: July 20, 2019

My daughter went to the Utica station to pick up her ticket - Utica to Albany. Once there she was told her Albany ticket could not be printed because the office in Albany does not open until 10:30. She was then told to show the bus driver proof of Albany ticket on her phone so she did. He told her they shouldn’t tell you that. He was extremely rude and obnoxious. This encounter was also witnessed by my husband. He let her in on the bus but absconded her ID-which I am pretty sure is illegal but am checking with my attorney.

If a customer is unable to purchase ticket tickets for the full trip then your policy needs to be updated. Since tickets can not be bought online this needs to be addressed. I called your “complaint” department but they were absolutely no help. They kept giving me the same number to call. The bus number is 6409. Your company needs to better educate employees and also send them to a customer service class. If rating minus zero was an option I would give it that.

Original review: July 18, 2019

My mum traveled from El Paso to Houston back in May for a Dr's appointment and back to El Paso. On her trip back to El Paso the manager at the Greyhound bus station in Houston made her paid $137 for her baggage that she supposed to carry for free. I called Greyhound several times to resolve this issue and it's two months later the money was never refunded. The voucher she has the bus baggage manager refused to acknowledge as well. Upset and frustration is an understatement for me because Greyhound always look for a way to rip-off customers. It is so sad that a well established bus line always find it difficult to refund people's money and they treat people like trash after they collect your money. It saddens my heart and I wish there is a higher authority I could report the company to.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I have never been so frustrated with a company as I am with Greyhound. My daughter was coming from Stanfield, OR to Tacoma, WA. Her first bus was still in Boise, ID so Greyhound put her on a bus to Portland, OR, where she would catch a connecting bus to Tacoma, WA. Needless to say, this bus ran late. By the time it came into Portland, OR she had already missed her connecting bus.

Their suggestion was for her to buy another ticket for the next day to get to her original destination. She didn't have any additional funds with her, and shouldn't have had to pay to get her where her original ticket was bound. It was late in the evening. Since she was no longer considered a ticket holder they told her she would have to leave the building since they were closing. Any ride she could find would take 2+ hours to get there to pick her up. They locked my pregnant daughter (7 months along) out of the building to wait outside in a sketchy part of town for her own ride.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I recently traveled from NYC to Rochester, having arrived in NYC after a 13 hour flight. First, the woman at the counter was uninterested in selling us tickets - had we known what the trip would be like, we wouldn't have insisted! But we did get tickets and ran to catch the bus, only to stand in line for 40 minutes as the bus was delayed. Predictably, no information was given to the passengers.

On board, the bus was filthy. I couldn't tell you the last time it was cleaned - stains were clearly visible on all paneling. The plexiglass panel between the driver and passengers was cracked, held together only with duct tape in multiple places. The armrests had all disintegrated, leaving only hard plastic to lean on. Any cupholder or backseat pocket was long gone.

But the bathroom was the worst - so bad, that the entire bus smelled of sewage. I don't know when it was last cleaned, let alone emptied. The bus smelled front to back, and the back of the bus was hot, compounding the smell. Thank goodness we sat near the front - only the driver turned up the AC to combat the smell, so we froze. We, and all the other passengers, had to sit in these conditions for 7+ hours. Not a word from the driver - no acknowledgement or apology.

Customer service is a joke. The call center is clearly outsourced, run by people who have no authority or interest in helping. Though I made it very clear that I was not complaining about the delay, I was repeatedly told that "Greyhound is a transportation company; because you reached your destination, we cannot help you any further." When pressed, I was offered a small voucher for a fraction of the ticket cost. When I rejected this offer, I was told this was "all we can afford."

I asked them to note that I won't accept anything less than a full refund as I will never use Greyhound again if I can help it. Maybe someday someone at headquarters will read the note. I hope so, because my larger point is that these conditions are unacceptable. Greyhound's customers deserve better. It's appalling, and frankly inhumane, to treat people this way.

Greyhound Company Information