2.86/5

1684 Greyhound Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 31, 2019

I realize that they are not fair to customer. They we try to book online for 10 clock but it show that it booked out but we end up of to book a different time so my wife call customer service and they told she can get the time switch from 4pm to 10am. So my wife went ahead on book it for 4pm. So when we reach the Greyhound bus terminal in Arkansas they told us we of to pay $40 dollar to get on the 10am bus to Memphis. If they did tell us that from we call customer service we would not book the 4pm bus for $29 in the first place. So to switch time cost more than the actual booking. The bus leave with lots of empty seat from Arkansas to Memphis. Be we decided not to pay $40 more because they even tell us they only take cash only. In this day and age Arkansas Greyhound bus terminal don’t even have ATM.

Original review: March 31, 2019

First route was cancelled. They rescheduled for the next day. Major delay caused missing the connector route. Rescheduled. Bus driver never showed up to finish the connector route. Unaccompanied minor stranded halfway between home and destination. Customer service tells you to call complaint department. Complaint depart tells you to call customer service. No one cares that this is a minor. Rescheduled the reschedule. That bus cancels. Rescheduled again. That bus is on a 2 hour delay. IF that bus shows, my son will have been at the Cincinnati depot for 14 hours by himself!

This will be 29 hours later than he was suppose to arrive originally. There is no way to contact anyone higher up. They wouldn't issue him a ticket to just come home. They wanted his personal information to be able to help us. He is a minor. That is not legal. Yes, he's 17, but not legally an adult. They can only keep rescheduling his ticket. We are very irritated and angry. We have never had this problem before and we use Greyhound all the time. Never again! JUST DON'T DO IT!!!

Original review: March 28, 2019

First and last time I will be riding on a Greyhound bus. The entire bus reeked of urine, there was no Wi-Fi and the phone outlets did not work. Bus driver lacked a pleasant personality. It was disgusting.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I took a bus ride from Dallas to Austin, TX. The bus broke down in middle of the highway and I had to Uber an hour to get to my destination. I called every day for the next few days, but customer service said the bus never broke down... They refuse to give me a refund.

Original review: March 26, 2019

The worse bus service. Its taken my niece over 30hrs to get to Texas from chicago...nothing but delays no explanations. Bus seems to take their own personal routes. They showed up late to every terminal, the other bus they were supposed to catch would leave! Greyhound you are the Worse! I wish for you guys to go out of business!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greyhound?

Original review: March 22, 2019

I purchased my Greyhound ticket online (from Knoxville to Cincinnati) departure 12:01 PM supposed to arrive in Cincinnati at 5:30 today Friday 03-22-2019. I arrive at the station 30 mins early only for the rude employees to tell me the bus is delayed 2.5 hours. I politely asked for a refund and also to see if I could reschedule. They then said, “I'd have to wait for a manager (which won’t be back in till Monday). Didn’t offer to reschedule. I then got home, called corporate and they said “through the bus tracker” the bus is on its way or is in Knoxville at the moment. I was very confused. Then they said, I’d have to go back to the bus station (very scary place) to reschedule after the rude lady employees said I couldn’t reschedule with them? Greyhound, you will refund me my money! Stop beings crooks! I will make several more complaints until you resolve this!

Original review: March 17, 2019

My college-aged son & his girlfriend flew into Denver & took an Uber to Denver Bus Station to catch the Greyhound to Glenwood Springs. We had previously used CDOT Bustang from Union Station to Glenwood Springs, & appreciated the convenience, safety & professionalism. We made the mistake of thinking Greyhound would come anywhere close to Bustang! The bus stop reeked of human waste & body odor; one man urinated in front of them. In the hour while they waited for the bus (which was late!), men circled them, eyeing their cases & asking about their destinations.

They began to wonder if their cases would be safe under the bus. After waiting at the front of the line for over an hour, when the bus finally pulled up, a disheveled group of guys pushed them out of the way & got on the bus, & the driver let it happen. By this point, they had enough & decided the money lost by not traveling with Greyhound didn't matter as much as their safety. They ended up taking Colorado Mountain Express (which costs twice as much) & were grateful for safe, professional service. Learn from our mistake: invest in safety & professionalism & avoid Greyhound!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I had to change my original flight last minute from Chicago to Tucson. In an effort to save $400, I decided to just fly to Phoenix & take the bus to Tucson. I thought “how bad could it possibly be?!” It was bad. The Phoenix bus station itself was the most disgusting place I’d ever seen. There was garbage littered across the whole floor. I don’t think this place has any janitorial services. The whole place smelled like urine and feces. There was nowhere to sit inside as there were countless people sleeping across the benches.

After waiting an hour past the scheduled departure time, I decided to stand outside in the smoking area where I could still see the terminal door. There was a lot more room out there. Outside there were people doing drugs and a man with open wounds covering his legs, clearly spun out of his mind, pacing back and forth yelling about the devil dragging him down. That part isn’t what bothered me... It was the open wounds! Has nobody heard of blood borne pathogens? There’s no telling what kind of diseases that man was carrying. There should be some kind of screening in place when people walk in. Like maybe swimming pool rules. You shouldn’t be allowed to just spread your diseases around like that.

After waiting about 2 hours, I honestly had a mental breakdown. I ran out of the station in tears and ordered an Uber to take me from Phoenix to Tucson. It was only $66 (only $50 more than taking the Greyhound. Worth it). A couple hours after I made it home, for giggles I decided to track the bus to see where it was... It had just left. I will never set foot in a Greyhound station again. I had vowed that once before, as in 2006, at a Dallas Fort Worth Greyhound station, a man approached me, took my purse out of my hands and walked away. Right in front of a security person. I followed him & he told me he would give me my purse back if I kissed him. After screaming, security came over and I was able to retrieve my purse. I won’t forget how awful Greyhound is this time. I will NEVER attempt to take the bus again. I usually fly anyway and honestly flying is the way to go. They don’t allow people with oozing wounds onto airplanes for good reason.

Original review: March 15, 2019

DO NOT EVER TAKE GREYHOUND, my Sister reserved a seat and get there and they gave it away. She paid extra $40 for a later route. When she get to her first transfer city they tell her it’s full and she can’t get on. They Uber her to a nearby city and then tell her to get in a line to leave for another city. The staff was really rude and cannot confirm if she will be getting to her original destination and can’t provide her with any information. She had to particularly begged to speak with a person to listen before she finally was able to get refunded and get put back on a bus to her original destination. And no she never made it to where paid to go and keep in mind she has been dealing with this unprofessional, chaotic system from 10:30a to 12 midnight (the following day). So please people DO NOT TAKE GREYHOUND. They need not to be in business! I’d rather pay $500 for a ticket that will give me a peace of mind. The worse experience thus far.

Original review: March 13, 2019

The March 13th Ebensburg PA to Pittsburgh Ride 3:10-6 pm. Was pulling up my eticket for him to scan because that’s standard procedure, he tells me to stop and hurry up because he’s holding up traffic (when nobody even honked). He was so snippy and made me hand him my phone to scan while he was driving, hardly paying attention to the road and ran a red light. Other passengers were complaining about him braking hard and often. Overall terrible driver and should honestly be replaced as he’s a danger to your company.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Cheap **, there is no 10% discount, because they got rid of it. Then update your website, man!! Then I write to them about it. They don't read what I write. They send me the same crap they send everybody else then they wrote again nope not getting the 10% because it doesn't exist anymore. So I wrote back and told them to go screw themselves. Sick of this. They don't want to honor any coupons. Then you try to get the Veteran's rewards. Nope. They want you to pay for 4.95 to join that and then more money down the road for 10% discount for veterans. BS! Worst company ever, and I really believe this!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Went back to get food. Driver yelling "I told you already about the bus." I said, "Let me just get my damn food." He gets up, uses door to push me and gets in my face yelling. I told security. They did nothing. Worst company around!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I'd give a zero if I could. The bus was filthy and smelled like piss. Also it was about 6 degrees and there was NO HEAT at all for the entire 2 hr bus ride. Well, no heat for the passengers. The driver's little cube seemed to radiate heat as I passed it getting off the bus... Absolutely awful and worse knowing they won't do a thing about it!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I had went online to book a trip on April 3rd to Marysville, CA. After I paid for it it didn't give me all the details of my trip I assumed it was all in order and I will called the ticket. After everything was said and done. I then realized it wasn't going to Marysville, CA. It was going to Montreal, Canada. I had then called customer service spoke to James. Just for him to tell me I'm screwed I can't get a refund or they can't change anything on the Ticket I had asked if I could pay the difference so I can get back home He told me no. So not only am I out $146.50 but the trip as well. I am now stranded in Jacksonville FL. Not able to get home. I'm so upset about this. This is the first time I booked anything online and the last time.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Worst customer service ever, the website crash charging my credit card for a ticket for the wrong location. No help from customer support. Worst company ever. No kind of customer satisfaction. Use Amtrak the next time.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I went to purchase a ticket online for travel that day and their website timed out/crashed when after clicking the pay button. I had selected the option to have a mobile ticket instead of printing at home/picking up at the station. The website crashed with the message "Sorry our website is in maintenance blah blah blah, we didn't charge your card. Try our mobile site instead." The entire Greyhound site wasn't coming up.

Instead of trying the mobile site, I return to greyhound.com a few minutes later and the site is back up. I try to pay for the ticket again and receive the same error. I then decide to give up and decide to go the mobile route. They didn't offer a mobile ticket when I went to the mobile site (mobile.greyhound.com) so I just chose e-ticket and it worked. I received a confirmation email with the ticket inside (I didn't receive this the first two times). I also received an email from my credit card company stating that I have duplicate charges. After verifying I had duplicates, I called up Greyhound and the nightmare began...

The phone system menu options are terrible but people should know by now to just press 0 to get connected to a live person. A person answered who barely spoke English. I slowly explained what happened, how the website timed out but still charged me, and how I would like to get the two duplicate charges reversed. First, the lady didn't believe that I was charged (without even looking it up). Then she told me to go contact my bank (I told her it was my credit card not debit). Then when I asked for a manager, she initially refused by ignoring my requests.

Then when I repeated myself 5-6 more times, she just puts the phone down! I eventually figured out she ditched me and decided to call back. I immediately asked for a manager this time but still ended up having to explain the entire situation again. I get the manager and again, have to explain the situation again. I'm surprised I was able to hold my impatience in check and not yell at this time cause I was really fed up. The manager gives me some confirmation numbers and sends me to customer service for refunds? How many customer service departments do you have. Whatever.

I get transferred to the new rep and have to repeat myself a third time! She obviously didn't believe my story but says I guess you didn't want 3 charges since you have bought 3 tickets for the same person leaving the same origin to destination. I'm thinking to myself "WTF seriously!" Then she says they'd like to offer me a voucher for the price I paid for future travel. I'm like "No." I don't want a voucher for future travel on this trash line. I just want my money back and maybe you all fix your website. She then says, "Yes I understand, I'll process your refund for the two tickets."

Seven minutes later, both tickets were supposedly refunded. I made sure to note down the confirmation numbers for the refund so I can have them if I need to call back. I look at the time and I spent an hour trying to get these charges reversed. It's always constant problems with this company. Three weeks ago, they canceled a bus (maybe due to snow) and refused to refund my girlfriend's ticket. They just don't like giving money back. They really need to be fined.

Original review: March 8, 2019

On 12/21/18 Greyhound stopped at a rest area and abandoned us! We attempted approximately 20 calls to the next stop where we got no answer, just a message that our call could not be completed. It was after 5:30pm. We even called baggage and got a recording, no way to speak to live attendant. We called Greyhound Customer Service (many times) without receiving a solution. They said they can't reach the bus driver, even having his name and bus number. Our calls were just transferred to someone else, passing over the responsibility.

After about a 5 hour wait, we were able to take the next bus to the next stop and update our trip. We inquired about our missing luggage here as well as the last two stops on our journey. Nobody had our luggage. We did everything Greyhound "told us to do". Every Greyhound representative was disinterested in helping, almost to the point of rudeness. Pushing us off to another station or telephone number.

We had a two part trip planned with the first leg stopping in Cincinnati OH to visit family and then we were booking on to Denver for Christmas and and Vegas for New Years. We had to stay in Cincinnati because the ID for the other traveling companion was in one of the carry-ons. (Yup stupid) When we had obtained another ID we booked our trip to Vegas for New Years... that got snowed out! Ultimately, we never made it to Vegas and Greyhound would only give me a credit voucher (they couldn't make it through, it wasn't my fault). Still didn't get our bags.

I emailed Greyhound and received a response that Greyhound is not responsible for lost/stolen items. Ummmm, I didn't lose them. Greyhound left without me. A representative told me that every carry-on is supposed to leave with me at each stop. (although the bus driver said ok to leave on bus) That would be an interesting event if every bus really adopted this practice. It would take forever for people to unload/load at each stop.

When I called Greyhound today, I found out that not 1, you got that right, NOT 1 person ever documented even 1 of my calls, especially when I was frantic about being abandoned. Pretty sad considering I had contact with over 20 Greyhound representatives on the phone that day that could have been proactive in this matter. Because items were carry-on, no tracer tags were attached. Note: be sure to at least put your own tags on your bags for identification. (it still may not matter because one of my bags had personal identification in it).

The icing on the cake: When baggage is not collected at the individual bus terminals after about 30 days, they are sent to the Greyhound warehouse in Texas. If after about 90 days the unclaimed items are then AUCTIONED OFF BY GREYHOUND! It's a win, win situation for Greyhound! I called again today and only after extreme persistence by me, I got the representative to open a tracer for me to the warehouse. Was given a tracer number BUT... I won't hear anything unless they find something. I have some very specific items that were in these bags that if they were "itemized" by Greyhound, they would surely stand out.

So in conclusion, I've lost a monetary value for the items in my bags, hours lost due to poor phone customer service, hours lost at terminals for help that wasn't going to be given anyway and extreme frustration at Greyhounds service overall. Unless the earth opens up and Greyhound pulls a rabbit out of its hat (or my luggage from its warehouse), I will likely never use them again. As always, buyer beware and READ EVERYTHING! Be prepared because there isn't anyone else watching your back. Yes, I do believe there should be responsibility on my part, like tags! It is not a customer service world out there anymore, it's more on how the company can protect itself. No employee wants to assume the responsibility either due to "ramifications" either by the company or the customer. All I wanted was some help.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I was scheduled on March 5th to take a Greyhound from Saint Augustine to Tampa at 6 am. The Greyhound website clearly showed the bus station address at 1 South Castillo Dr. On Google. The address was listed as 3 Cordova St. We drove to both locations and waited at the first location. No bus showed up. We then happened to look at a blog comment from five years ago where a customer complained that none of these locations was the correct station, and it appeared there was another station a half mile away on West Castillo Dr - therefore we drove there but by the time we arrived it appeared that the bus already left. I was then forced to drive an hour away and rent a car for $150 dollars one way to get to Tampa since I had an important meeting.

I called Greyhound later and told them what happened and I got some person from India who could barely speak English. They argued with me and then they put me on hold for close to an hour and told me that the most they could do is to give me credit for my $27 dollar ticket. I had to argue more before they said they could give me a refund in two weeks. I said they should also pay for my rental car. They refused to do that or provide any additional compensation or credits. Instead of me being able to ride in comfort over five hours away in Tampa with little sleep, I now had to do a grueling drive, and pay more than $150 dollars more including gas. I will never take Greyhound again. They are an awful company with no customer service - and they lack all integrity. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have never had a pleasant experience using the Greyhound. From bus delays, to the requirement for tickets to be printed (really, why can't I just show you the ticket on my phone) it is overall just not a good company from my experience. The tipping point for me occurred last night so please bear with me and follow the journey of me being stranded.

I am waiting for the 7:25pm bus, waiting, waiting, at 7:31 I see online they have a bus tracker function, and I see that my bus is delayed until 7:54pm, no problem I'll wait. I go inside out of the cold and snow. At 7:38 it says delayed until 8pm... Okay that's annoying, but there's nothing I can do. I checked again at 7:43 (5 minutes after I find out that the bus is being delayed even more), and see that the bus was expected at 7:41. Obviously I am panicked, upset, and confused. I try and call Greyhound, and after about 3 numbers, I get through and am told that the bus left. What really frustrates me is that the bus tracker said it would be so late, had I known it wasn't delayed until 8pm I would've have waited outside. This was extremely frustrating as the place it was from was only half an hour away so I do not understand how the information could be so wrong.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I am from Brazil and had the worst experience ever in United States because I booked a trip with this company, and cannot give me a refund. I lost about 50 dollars because this company have no refund policy. Greyhound never more!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

This is the worst bus company I have ever rode with. First of all they overbook and we ended up on a later bus which that bus was an hour late. So me and my 2 year old son and mom had to stand out in the cold in negative degree weather. I spent dam near $500 on our tickets and all they can give us back was $40. I have to get a Uber home which was over 50$ and all three of got sick from standing outside for 3+ hours. VERY UNACCEPTABLE!!! Never getting my money again and on top of that the driver was rude.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I read your story about a Greyhound incident and I have a different kind of thing happen to me on a Greyhound. I breathed in fumes and tried changes seats 3 times only to find out it was coming out of all the vents. I told the bus driver that I couldn't breathe and while watching others cover their ears and mouths I said again, "I can't breathe, so please stop the bus." She looked at me and I said, "Please stop the bus." She pulled over a little outside of Flagstaff AZ and let me out and didn't make a report nor call me an ambulance.

I struggled to breathe for the next three hours with my heart beating out of my chest. I later went by ambulance to Flagstaff Medical Center then having an abnormal EKG and damn near dying on the table. I now have 3 major heart conditions to include calcification of the bottom part of my heart (in other words the bottom of my heart is dead) and now I'm being told I have Cancer of the Uterus and severely bleeding every day. I'm so weak and I'm scared!! Please help me or please refer me to someone who can help me!! Yours Truly ** 08-21-78. I am fearful of how long I'll make it to keep alive. The stories on here gave me inspiration to want to contact you.** or **. Any suggestions please email ** or call.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I couriered my 3 Luggage bags From Halifax to Toronto in August month, they lost my bags that time or maybe it is stolen. For more than two months they are telling me, "We are searching for a bag." I personally visited Toronto office two times, as they are not responding on phone and on emails. Customer service is worst... I have no words for it. In October they start claim procedure. Now February almost ending. Still did not receive any claim amount. They did not reply email also. When you send 10 emails they reply you once. I don't know what to do now. I am helpless and frustrated. Request to people. Don't use Greyhound service... They are the worst service provider. They don't care about their customers. So please be aware.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I was attempting to purchase a Greyhound ticket online. During the process the webpage froze up. I was unable to complete the request. But Greyhound proceeded to withdraw my $250 anyway. I called Greyhound 5 times but they refused to repay. I sent copies of all information I had by mail but never heard anything from them even after full year. Greyhound stole my $250. These people are crooked.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I was suppose to travel under extremely poor weather conditions in poor health and not only did they not accommodate my disability but they were disrespectful. Nothing new for a company that since 1914 has abused the poorest of poor in America and they charge me fifty percent of the original ticket. This is the only company in America that is proud of the dismal record they have.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Customers: Beware of the “Flexible Fare”. My advice: DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY on it because it’s not actually that flexible. Not unless you can predict the future. If you need to make any changes, you should assume that you will lose the money you paid, because Greyhound has managed to create “security policies” that make it nearly impossible to fit within the criteria to make the changes and get a refund. I booked a Greyhound ticket for my husband who is flying in from Orlando to Denver. As can be expected, flights are oftentimes delayed, so I purchased a “Flexible Fare” ticket for double the price of a regular ticket. The ticket is advertised as being refundable, which was the only appeal, knowing we may need to take advantage of changing his ticket. If only I would have realized that changes wouldn’t be allowed unless you contact them at least 24 hours in advance of your scheduled pickup time.

Of course, his flight was delayed, which would have him arriving to Denver beyond the pickup time. I contacted Greyhound within the hour of receiving notice of his delayed flight to request a refund. They claimed that for “security purposes”, they would need to speak with the passenger (my husband) before making changes. I explained that I booked the ticket, had ALL of the confirmation info (name, confirmation number, credit card used to book, billing address), and that he wasn’t able to make the call since he was on a plane. It didn’t matter to them. I asked if he could call once he landed. They said “No, he needs to cancel before his scheduled pickup time”. I let them know that wouldn’t be possible, which is why I was calling on his behalf.

The claim they make that no changes can be made “due to security reasons” doesn’t make sense. For any other means of transportation, I am authorized to make changes on my husband’s behalf. Heck, I am authorized to make decisions regarding his life if he was hospitalized, yet Greyhound is claiming that for security reasons, no changes can be made. All this policy does is make it too difficult to get a refund. You take people’s money, but don’t follow through with providing the customer service that would be expected when paying extra for the convenience to make changes, knowing that life happens.

I’m disappointed in my experience with Greyhound and can guarantee that I will NEVER book with you, and I will strongly recommend against anyone that I know from doing so. All I asked for was a refund of $37.50. Now, you’ve got an angry customer that will never book through you and will ensure through word-of-mouth and social media channels that people are aware of how unaccommodating you were.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I called customer service many times to address my concern about getting a refund. First of all I purchased the non-refundable ticket since I knew that me and my boyfriend were be able to ride the bus at Blue Mountain ski resort Ontario. Because of that we did not purchase the refundable ticket because we knew that Greyhound bus is a reliable one. But we were wrong. We showed up early before our departure time and no bus was present. We asked the travelers and drivers where the bus stop of Greyhound was and we were able to get there earlier.

We waited and waited and no bus showed up. Take note Greyhound bus only travels once a day in that location going to Toronto. I talked to a customer rep and told us that the bus showed up there and they can't give a refund. Like imagine being the only bus that travels in that area once a day? How did we manage to get home? We spent twice the amount of fare just to get to Barrie to ride a GO bus. They can't even give a reconsideration. They can't even check the tickets the bus driver collected that day to make sure our ticket was not present. So pissed and will never ever ride Greyhound bus!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have been waiting for my refund since September 2018, I have called several times and I never have a positive news. They always say that they are going to escalate my problem and I wonder why they do not return my money. The cancellation was not my fault. It was their fault. My case is number **. The worst company in the world.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My friend and I are on the bus from Bloemfontein to Cape Town. During the night there was some heavy breaking and the driver drove over a dead animal. I always take Greyhound bus and I am a loyalty member. I am not too sure if I am going to feel safe on Greyhound busses going forward. When we stopped in Laingsburg a few other passengers also complained. One lady explained that she thought we were going to die at one stage.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Purchased ticket for 5 o'clock bus. Was to leave Phoenix at 6... Was told at last minute bus was going to be 2 hours late... Then the driver had the nerve to be a ** rude driver... I called and they told me I could get reimbursed in 24 hr. What a lie. They only gave me 45.00. I have been riding Greyhound for 20 yrs and it gets worse and worse each time. I am so sick of their rude customer service and rude bus drivers. They need to revise the whole company. Someone needs to buy it and reintroduce it with better quality of service.

Greyhound Company Information