2.52/5

1683 Greyhound Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Best bus driver EVER!! GLORIA IS AWESOME!!! KIND, HELPFUL, SAFE, ALWAYS A JOY!!! Greyhound can get some unsavory customers and Gloria handles every situation that comes along. She is fair, patient, and polite. She respects all passengers.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I got on bus 86476 in Boston Massachusetts and was blessed with an awesome bus driver by the name of Eileen **. She has made the end of our trip very pleasant. Our trip originated from Oklahoma City, OK. We had a fair share of good and bad on this trip but she made the end of our journey exciting. She has great people skills and explains everything in full detail. You should feel honored to have such a wonderful person working with you.

Get expert buying tips about Transportation and Rideshare Apps delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Traveled Monday, July 16, 2018, from Chicago to Toledo, Ohio. Bus ran on time (much to our relief having traveled Amtrak a few days earlier with a hefty delay). The bus itself was comfortable for an approximate 5-hour ride. It looked a little older, but was clean and had outlets.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Little Rock location HORRIBLE customer service. The lady had a line full of customers and we had to wait till she finish talking on her cell phone... a whole 20 minutes! Listening to her yell and laughing with whomever about her little sister's wedding! Unbelievable. Then finally get up to the counter she is just as rude and dismissive when I asked her why did she change my ticket to online when I clearly picked pick up at station because I heard that they weren't honoring the etickets. I called the bus company complaint line and she told me "so what, I don't work for them". She laughed, rolled her eyes then tried to make it seem I was the problem. You get no other help. You're stuck. They have your money.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I had a road reward coupon that we applied to our purchase and it was non-effective. Our price should've been half of what it was but instead it made us pay full price and used our road reward. No refund was given and customer service was extremely rude stating that it was our fault. If our road reward was applied but not effective how is that our fault? We lost a road reward and our money. Terrible company, but they know they can be because there are few bus companies so they treat their customers like crap. So unfortunate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greyhound?

Original review: May 17, 2019

My name is Ketsia and I booked a trip with Greyhound on 16th May 2019 for a 8:35am departure from Washington DC. Unfortunately I missed my bus and I asked them if they could reschedule me for the next available bus. But the lady on the phone said I couldn’t reschedule, I had to pay for another ticket. First of all my first ticket cost me $220 plus another $233 for another ticket and it gets worse. I was suppose to arrive in Houston Tx on May 17th at 11pm at night but we get a delay of 5hrs in Raleigh NC because the driver just bailed on us and left. So now I only get to Houston at 5am May 18. Greyhound I’m sorry but y’all are cancelled. Treating your customers like this is **. And most the workers are so disrespectful especially the ones in Raleigh NC. Thank you Miss Woung ** for being an awesome driver and kept everyone calm. God bless you.

Original review: May 13, 2019

If I could give a negative star review I would! We had a checked bag lost. After calling numerous times and going to the closest station that is 2 hours from our home twice the bag finally turned up. We picked it up and when we got home found that items had been stolen from the bag. When I called in to claim on those items I was told I needed to have the bag inspected at the terminal. No one told us that when we picked it up and now we are out the items that were stolen. I know that we will never use the bus again.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Bus unreliable, unprofessional and the seats all broken. I took this bus round trip nyc to ac. And it was horrible coming back. Bus 8576 6:30 pm Late 1 hour an inconsiderate driver. Then to top it all off stop to do a passenger a favor. To stop at the depot to look for a passengers bag that was lost earlier. Unacceptable.

Original review: May 7, 2019

It has been 1 week since my husband's horrifying trip with Greyhound. I will give as much detail as possible! First of all from the pick up we should of know there was going to be problems because the bus was delayed and from then all the way from Banning, CA to Tennessee it was delayed. Again not once but on multiple occasions the drivers would make unscheduled stops lock the paying passengers on the bus, yes lock them on and step off the bus smoke, use the restroom, smoke just do whatever they please. Numerous times passengers would politely ask questions and they were told to SHUT UP and SIT DOWN! I'm sorry are they are a prison bus? I was on the phone with him multiply times as this stuff is happening, I'll gladly take a lie detector test, this is the honest truth. At one stop a lady that claimed to have a ticket was allowed onto the bus very intoxicated and belligerent.

After several minutes went by she was finally removed because a ticket could not be produced that was putting anyone's lives in danger at all. Also at one of the stops a person was walking through the terminal with a cooler on wheels selling shots of alcohol and cans of beer and cigars??? And security was letting this happen. When I called to report all of this all they kept saying was we need times, we need locations. Check your records! You except someone that is going through this BS to remember every single little detail.

You also have no idea what was already taking place in the lives of several passengers on this bus then to put them through this trauma. Because we are average working people we did not have $1000 to drop on a plane ticket to fly him home, we got him as close as possible then had to drive 4 hours away (8 round trip) to end this nightmare. And what did your customer service offer for the inconvenience, wanted to give a $50 voucher! Everyone that had anything to do with this particular trip should no longer have a job, especially the drivers. I sincerely hope other passengers from the same bus call or write. Greyhound you are one the worse companies ever!

Original review: May 6, 2019

I traveled on Greyhound May 5 & 6th. The ride was comfortable until we arrived in Cincinnati, OH. Which is where the nightmare began. The bus's Air Conditioner was not working and we rode in extremely hot stifling conditions until we reached a transfer port in Knoxville, TN. We had to wait two hours for a mechanic to come and fix the air issues. Which made me two hours late getting to Atlanta. I don’t understand why Corporate would allow the bus to be on the road. Money is not or should not be more important than safety and comfort for consumers. It was so very hot and very uncomfortable riding so far without air.

I feel I should be compensated for the discomfort of riding on an extremely hot bus which you advertise; besides the air not working the outlet didn’t work therefore I couldn’t charge my device. This was the first time I experienced such misery on a Greyhound bus. I hope there will not be another one. I would like to take the opportunity to commend an employee at Greyhound, Thelma ** who kept passengers informed regarding the issues of the bus in question. She also informed all passengers regarding their bus schedule, etc. It would be nice to have more positive employees like Thelma **. In closing allow me to thank you in advance for taking time out of your busy schedule to read my complaint.

Sincerely

Mrs. June

Original review: May 6, 2019

So...I've been at this Phoenix, AZ station since 10 am, the day before. We were waiting for a supposed hour delay, that turned into 16 hours. Yes, 16 hours I've already been at this station. They rerouted my schedule to 745am but guess what??? Another 3 hours of a delay. How do they get away with things like this??? Never again will I travel through Greyhound. Never!

Original review: May 3, 2019

I arrived in good spirits and used the kiosk to get my repurchased ticket. Convenient. Then I had to get my bag weighed and checked. The agent ignored my polite greeting and her expression sour and her attitude was rude as when she asked for my confirmation number. I felt uncomfortable and rather spend time looking for it in tiny print somewhere on the ticket, I simply handed her the slip of paper figuring she'd know right where it was.

She made a face like I was handing her my ** and literally took the slip gingerly at the very tips of her fingers like she was going to catch a disease from touching it, let it drop onto the counter before her fingers caught fire. I'm surprised she didn't run to get a hazmat suit. What the hell is this rude condescending ignorant failure of a customer service rep doing working with (more like against) paying customers?

Original review: May 1, 2019

I called customer service to try and redeem my Road-Rewards. Keep in mind that I my original email that I signed up with was hacked and compromised, and I haven't had access to it in over a year. So as I gave the agent the confirmation number for trips that I have already taken. The agent tells me that I have no rewards points, but not less than two months ago I was informed that I had 6 rewards points and that my email was changed to my current email. So this agent never tells me my total points after he logged them in. He continued to be negative towards me concerning my rewards and my email. So, I asked for a supervisor to try and remedy the problem and the supervisor hung up on me. So now after being dissuaded by the agent at every turn, I get hung up on by the supervisor. I feel like it's okay to take my money but this particular agent and his supervisor were knocking me down every chance they got.

My summation is that the Greyhound rewards department do not want to do their job and they have poor and service and were rude to me. I would like to be treated like a person. I feel whoever is in charge of the company should be held accountable for their employees but the company only cares about profit and not its customers. With that said I will try to get people to boycott Greyhound. I am really hurt by the treatment of the company. This is no review on the drivers, they are great. But the management sucks. They don't do a good job with their scheduling of the drivers. I have had to wait four hours for a bus 'cause management is not doing its job. I will not be riding Greyhound anymore. I ask that anyone else who rides Greyhound to boycott Greyhound as I will do. Greyhound does not care about the consumer only profits.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I took Greyhound from Phoenix, Az to Columbia, SC and back and I will never take another Greyhound bus again. Trip started off ok but once we was in TX and they needed to switch bus drivers. The new driver was 1 1/2 late she gets on the bus and apologize for being late and stated she will get us to Dallas safe and began to drive like a crazy woman speeding and bouncing us around the bus. Once we got to Dallas I had to grab my stuff and run to the next bus before it left me because we was 1 1/2 late. Dallas bus stopped everywhere but it got me to GA which got me to SC on time for my son graduation.

Now the trip back was the worst Sc but to GA did not have phone charger but I was fine with that but the bus ride from GA to Dallas was crazy. The driver seemed to be lost. She kept getting off the freeway and back on the freeway making u-turns at gas stations. She missed a exit to drop off a passenger so she dropped them off in a field right off the freeway. Then she stopped the bus at a red light and went to the rest room. I guess she received a call that she had people to pick up at that bus stop she missed so she had to drive back to the city. She dropped the people off in the field at to pick up passengers. She apologized and advised us we was a hour and a half behind and asked us do want to take another break. I said no 'cause I have another bus to catch and others said the same but one passenger said he wanted McDonald's so she stopped at McDonald's.

Now she is speeding to make it to Dallas before my bus left at 12:30. We made it on time but she could of took her time cause when we got there my bus was delayed. We had to wait 5 hr for our driver to get there. When she gets there she apologized and said she needed to sleep. So of course we was not 5 hours behind for ever other bus I had to catch to get home. I was suppose to make it to my destination by 8:00 pm but I didn't make it til after 1:00am. The bus stations in GA and DA is the nastiest places I have ever seen. I do not recommend anyone ever use Greyhound bus. I also called CS to complain and they kept saying speak to the person at the bus station.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Riding Greyhound was the worst. Y'all need to remodel all y'all buses, all y'all bus stations. I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream. I wanted to jump out the window. 9 hours turned into 10 hours of hell. First bus I got on smell like poop. For two hours I had to smell that. The second bus, we had to wait 45 minutes for other people to come from another bus. Not to mention the seats were sooo small and really no leg room. I will never in my life catch Greyhound again... Horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible experience!

Original review: April 28, 2019

2 buses that we had to take on the way between Fort Lauderdale and New York were delayed big time (about 3 hours). Very disorganized, rude personnel, uncomfortable bus and wifi was malfunctioning. Too much money for service like this.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I always experience 2 hrs to 1 hr delay. In New York, Philadelphia and Mt. Laurel. It never changes. Since 2018 they are always delay! Never on time!!! Worst bus company ever!! I'm sorry but the truth hurts.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I was traveling from West Lafayette to Indianapolis on the 14th of April. I waited at the bus station for 39 minutes, then checked the tracker which said it was 2 hours late, so I went to my home which was close by. Upon reaching I checked the tracker again saying the bus is arriving in 1 minute, so I naturally missed the bus due to a system glitch. Regardless, their buses are always late and is the most disorganized company I have seen, considering how big they’re, it’s a joke.

Coming back to my problem, I called 3 customer service agents over 3 days about the problem and after speaking to them for a COMBINED 45 MINUTES, they say my ticket is non refundable so nothing can be done, even though it wasn’t me trying to reschedule but their system error. Didn’t even try to help, 100s of customers experience ** with Greyhound every day, and they don’t even bother to make things right. I mean they’re losing out, those customers go to different companies (MegaBus is amazing - use that) and never come back - I know I won’t. I ended up having to take an Uber worth 95 dollars to Indianapolis. Save yourselves the time, money and energy, walk to your destination rather than taking a Greyhound.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I had a death in my family the same day I was due to leave. Called Greyhound. Ask for them to push back the date of the ticket by 2 days. The supervisor said that they didn’t care about the customers and that I would have to pay 20 dollars to change my ticket or lose it all... Refused to give me to someone else and disconnected the call from me after asking repeatedly to speak to someone higher than him. I was treated like ** by all 3 people I spoke with.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Morgantown WV - Chicago IL trip on 04/14/19: arrived to Cleveland OH at 11 pm and were told that driver was tired, another driver would come in two hours. Waited for driver 5 hours, at 4 am another bus came but there was no enough seats for all passengers so I was left at Cleveland bus station at 4 am to figure out myself how to get to Chicago. They don't want to give me full refund but only $46 (Total ticket was $93). Never again with Greyhound!!!

Original review: April 15, 2019

I bought a flexible ticket for a mentally disabled person with the understanding it could be used if a problem arose. GREYHOUND will NOT rebook a bus IF you don't call in one day before the scheduled bus departure. THIS IS THE MOST IDIOTIC POLICY I HAVE EVER HEARD. What then is the idea of even getting a flexible ticket? If you miss an airline flight you may have to pay a fee to rebook but it can be done; with GREYHOUND you cannot do that.

I do NOT, repeat NOT, recommend Greyhound for any type of travel. They have foreign call centers full of employees who fail to understand problems and fail to address complaints. They treat people horribly and then you have no recourse to complain about it. Save your money and travel another way. Greyhound is the dumbest, most rude, ignorant and idiotic company with employees who are either naturally dumb or learned, through company training, how to act dumb. DO NOT TRAVEL WITH GREYHOUND > STAY AWAY! EXTREMELY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE > BEWARE!

Original review: April 13, 2019

Ottawa -----> Pembroke [April 7th 10:00 am Departure, 2019] Bus driver ridiculed me in front of the whole bus for the slight odor of ** that came from my bag. I have a prescription for medical ** and she made it distinctively clear that anyone who smoked at the Petawawa break stop wouldn't be allowed back on the bus, even though it was my last stop. It was highly unprofessional as this is my medication and it's really none of her business as I was not disrupting anyone else in the slightest. I asked the folks around me and no one said it was a problem. I won't be taking a Greyhound again, as there are many other options for catching a bus. A formal complaint was also filed against her. She needs to be properly educated about **, as it is a legal substance across Canada and I hold a valid prescription.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The promised wifi on the bus did not work, neither did any of the overhead lights. The entire bus smelled strongly of urine. It was extremely overpriced for the experience! Will not be traveling on Greyhound again.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Greyhound Bus Lines experience––April 9, 2019. If I could I would assign Greyhound maybe one point on one star! We arrived at the Watsonville transit center before 2 pm on April 9 to begin our journey to our primary residence on Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada (with the penultimate destination of Vancouver, BC). The bus was scheduled to depart by 2:45 pm. We waited until 6 pm but no bus arrived. At that point we gave up waiting and returned to our Watsonville residence.

This experience has resulted in a myriad of hardships for us exceeding simple inconvenience. While waiting at the transit center we could not obtain any information about the status of our bus, as there was no Internet available, and Greyhound does not provide any physical means of obtaining information. Finally, I called the help number at the bottom of my tickets: 800-231-2222. It was next to impossible to hear the agent because of outside noise on the street and inside noise within the bus station. I finally managed to hear the agent tell me that the bus should be arriving around 4:14 pm. I looked at my watch and told the agent that it was 4:14 pm at that moment. He said I should wait and the bus would arrive in a few minutes. He also provided me with a customer service number that was a long-distance number: 214-849-8966.

Greyhound is responsible for a particularly high-stress day for my partner and for me. We had had all of our utilities switched off (including the Internet) at our Watsonville address. We had no food or water and had to rush to shop and to reverse all of those cancellations. In addition, our final destination is many miles north of Vancouver, BC. From Pacific Central Station in Vancouver, we would have had to take the Skytrain and a city bus to catch an ocean-going ferry to Vancouver Island (2.5 hours), to connect with a scheduled van service (IslandLinkBus: only four trips/day) that had required advance reservations (cost of cancellation $2 per ticket). All of these schedules and reservations had to be cancelled. I see that your “URGENT” email first arrived last night at 10:16 pm. What good does that do? In addition, the phone number you provide is not the same as the help number on my ticket: 1-833-233-8507.

We are considering all of our options, which at this point are few. Flying was considered when we first began to plan a month ago. We chose Greyhound, partially because of its affordability but also because the scheduling appeared to coordinate well with our complicated travel route involving many public transit legs of the journey to the North. Now, because we need to leave within about 2 weeks, the added expense of flying on such short notice is not an option.

Greyhound is extremely irresponsible in the management of its business. We are not about to let this situation pass without any consequences for such a poorly managed organization. We have traveled with Greyhound on several occasions without encountering such horrendous problems. We as consumers of your service should have been able to depend on Greyhound providing the service we paid for. We did of course qualify for a refund, after much complaining and explaining from me. Take my experience as a warning and don't depend on Greyhound, because they will not treat you as you'd like to be treated as a paying customer.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Hi. I took the Greyhound bus twice. They have Very very unprofessional drivers! It's a bad experience for consumer so I do not recommend anyone to take Greyhound. They probably should hire better drivers that are kind to passengers or at least not rude.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Since I live in San Angelo which Greyhound is the only bus service company, I have been a frequent traveler with them for nearly 2 years (San Angelo - San Antonio - Houston) and 99% of them were terrible! San Angelo Bus Station: The bus NEVER came on time, most of the time it 1:30-2 hours late! I called Greyhound customer service but the bus kept coming late. The first and last time it came on time is from November 2017! Also, the smell of cheap air freshener in the station makes me sick!

San Antonio Bus Station: When I came to Houston bus station, the bus arrived 1 and a half hour late. I didn’t mind if it’s late but I need to go to San Antonio on time for another bus to go back home. The staff talked to his boss and they promised I would be able to get on the other bus back home since people in San Antonio’s gonna hold the bus to wait for us (me and another passenger). I believed them so I got on the Houston bus eventually. However, when I got to San Antonio, the other bus had already left!

To solve the problem, they gave me new tickets for ANOTHER 20 HOURS TRIP which went to another 2-3 different cities in Texas before I could get home. I was suffering from a severe back pain so I couldn’t sit that long. Also, it’s the worst way to solve a problem which caused by their fault! I didn’t agree so they gave me another aka last option which was that I had to wait until tomorrow afternoon for the next bus! I said I wouldn’t be able to afford a hotel room. They said they would let me sit at the station (with the cheap air freshener and rough chairs) for another 24 hours! Are you kidding me???

Again, I mentioned my back pain and requested them to take me back to Houston where I was be able to stay at my friend’s house. Because I would be rather stay in Houston and wait until the next day if I had knew they would broke their promise to hold the bus for us and gave us a hard time. But they only gave me 2 options (between 20 hours trip and 24 hours waiting + another 5 hours on the bus). It was ridiculous!!! I spoke to the staffs, the manager and even called customer service but they insisted not taking me back to Houston.

The manager even said: “what if you came back to Houston and the bus tomorrow is late again?” I said I’ve been traveled for the last 2 years and it’s never been late. And if they’d let us know the buses gonna be late, I’d have other options. He said it’s been late for the last few days (???). Why they didn’t even fix that problems. When will they stop letting their customers suffer from their bad services? However, when I searched on their website, the bus to Houston that day still have available seats.

At that time, I was done talking to the people at San Antonio station since they were rude so I called customer service. And she said the same things like they said and suggested me to buy new ticket if I wanted to go back Houston. “So you won’t let me to get on the bus back to Houston because of the money right?” I continued “why y'all won’t take me back to Houston while the seats were still available?” She said it wasn’t about the money, it just because they just couldn’t!! They cheated me to get on that bus even though they knew it’d be late and didn’t even keep their promise to hold the other bus for us. We were literally cheated by them!! Eventually, I chose to go reschedule my ticket to tomorrow. I came back from Houston on a different bus company. Great service, new bus, smell good, cheaper, shorter travel time!

Moreover, while I was arguing with the staffs, someone just stole my Anker power bank from my backpack I left nearby!!! (I wasn’t be able to carry backpack long due to my back pain.) I didn’t find out until I got on the bus (from different company) back to Houston! Also, It’s the cheap air freshener again. It’s too strong. You are not able to ignore it. But not like in San Angelo, you have to get in line an amount of time before it departs and you can’t stay outside since those are busy streets. I always had to cover my nose with face mask or the upper part of my shirt. Some people stared at me, some shows their thumbs up to show their agreements. Houston bus station: The air freshener is not too bad. No parking lot for picking up or dropping off. Too many homeless people disturb. The bus is not usually late but it was late one time which led to the worst experience in San Antonio.

Original review: April 9, 2019

They make you late to each of your destinations. Their bus drivers smoke at every stop due to that makes you later. Their wifi and plugs do not work. Bus drivers talk to customers as if they are not PROFESSIONAL. I'm surprised they are still in business.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I was incredibly disappointed with my experience. There was a website error, so I ended up accidentally purchasing 2 tickets. I called customer service and the best they could do was offer me a voucher when there was a website error on their site. Then, the bus was over 2 hours late getting to the boarding station. Because of this, I would have missed my flight waiting for the bus to get to the final destination. I ended up having to drive myself to the airport over 3 hours away. I contacted customer service about this before I drove myself and the man I spoke with told me I would receive a refund.

When I called back, they told me they couldn't give me a refund even though their driver was over 2 hours delayed. They offered me another voucher. Why on earth would I want a voucher for a company I want nothing to do with since they can't keep their word and don't stand behind their product? I seriously question the morals and ethics of this company.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I purchased a busticket confirm number ** going from Denver, Co to Boise, Id on April 2, 2019. Water leaking from rooftop of bus. Rude threatening passenger x 2 allowed to obviously be however they wanted. (I'm a female traveling alone and was threatened twice by two males) No heat I asked more than once and still never. I'm not one to complain unless it's very deserving, but this experience has considerably changed my mind on future traveling as far as as "Greyhound" service such as this is concerned... Crystal **.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I realize that they are not fair to customer. They we try to book online for 10 clock but it show that it booked out but we end up of to book a different time so my wife call customer service and they told she can get the time switch from 4pm to 10am. So my wife went ahead on book it for 4pm. So when we reach the Greyhound bus terminal in Arkansas they told us we of to pay $40 dollar to get on the 10am bus to Memphis. If they did tell us that from we call customer service we would not book the 4pm bus for $29 in the first place. So to switch time cost more than the actual booking. The bus leave with lots of empty seat from Arkansas to Memphis. Be we decided not to pay $40 more because they even tell us they only take cash only. In this day and age Arkansas Greyhound bus terminal don’t even have ATM.

Greyhound Company Information