Greyhound

Compare Transportation & Rideshare Apps

Research top Transportation & Rideshare Apps recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been commuting with Greyhound for almost one year now. There have been random delays very frequently. How can they have delays on Sunday nights when there is absolutely no traffic?! It is very disappointing and frustrating to see no effort from this company to respect customer time. They can get away with this because there is no real competition!

The Driver McNeil is probably the worst driver I've ever had. He has no customer service skills, he talks down to everyone and he's someone who seems to be trying too hard to be a ** to everybody. I don't know why but he's was a complete and total **. He seems as if he has no pride in his job at all. He did manage to get the bus to the destination safely but other than that he was a complete **. This has motivated me to never take Greyhound again, there are some things more important than saving money on flights.

Have a bus ticket from Columbus Ohio to Huntington WV. Bus was supposed to leave at 5:25. We were told the bus would be here in 3 hours. An hour later we were told to come to the ticket window and get our tickets rescheduled for 2:45 am! What kinda treatment is this for the people of West Virginia and there were plenty of unhappy travelers! Give us a refund!

This was my first time traveling with Greyhound. I expected the experience to be bad, but not this bad. Disabled passengers were mistreated, other passengers were allowed to smoke on the bus, and the "guaranteed" features such as wifi, leather seats, and outlets were not true. Buses were late, broke down, or missing. We were told if a connection was missed due to a bus breaking down we could sleep in the terminal lobby, but unfortunately that lobby wasn't open during their (handwritten on a piece of paper stuck to the window) business hours. Drivers were hit or miss when it came to how they treated passengers.

Since I had never taken a bus before I tried to ask questions about the location of things like restrooms or where to check a bag. Terminal security was very inappropriate in how they handle simple questions. I don't consider myself to be a genius, but I don't think I should be called stupid. My medication and blanket was stolen when the bus driver assured us it was safe to leave items on a locked bus while it was cleaned. When I called customer service about the issue I was hung up on, twice. The driver said he was the only one on the bus and didn't see anything. For ticket costs as high as they are with Greyhound, it should hold itself to higher standards.

First of all our bus was 3 hours late. They wouldn't tell anyone why. They had everyone line up but then decided they didn't have a bus and everyone had to stand in line with their bags for at least 30 minutes. The driver was very rude and kept rambling on and on about why the bus was late and how he is the boss and how he will kick people off. He kicked one woman off because she got out during a stop and smoked a cigarette. Then he walked back talking loud and rude and degrading to one of the two young men that had also got off thinking it was ok to smoke. He singled out the ** man.

Then he turned to a ** lady who was taking two seats and each of her two kids was taking two seats and asked her if the temperature was ok. I was hurting really bad and was very hot from having to sit on the very back row so after the break my boyfriend and I sat down on one of the rows that the children had been going back and forth on. When their Mother got back on 24th bus instead of asking us to move or saying anything to us she started talking to other passengers about us and saying things insinuating that she wanted to fight me. Then she went to the bus driver who got back on his little radio and once again started talking very rude and degrading about how everyone has to sit in the same seat for the whole trip.

When I tried to explain that my back was hurting and that they were taking up 6 seats for three people he started yelling at me and telling me that he is 62 years old and he didn't care if the back seat hurt my back. That the kids get to sit wherever they want. So we went back to the hard back seat and sat back down... But there were three other people that had moved seats that weren't told anything. I hadn't noticed before all this happened because I'm not prejudice and don't see people as their color but I realized that there were only two ** and one Hispanic on the whole bus and they had managed to have all three of us sitting on the hard back seat by the stinking bathroom with the heat of the engine having us sweating. While I counted 7 or 8 people that were in two seats laying down across the seats.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greyhound?

I will never travel by bus nor should any person on the planet... The wifi they promise doesn't load, seats are smaller than a plane and they just don't have any regard for your time or money. If you can't supply a service to a customer (within reason) you should go ahead and save the shareholder's time and embarrassment of losing their money. D.O.T may want to look into how drivers are handled or lack of.... Absolutely the worst experience in travelling ever!!! And I'm still waiting at the Fall as terminal as I type this??? Find any other way, camel-boat-skateboard- even walk as opposed to this. 12+ hours behind due to no driver.

I traveled on Greyhound last month going from Clarksville, TN to Augusta, GA. When I arrived in Nashville the bus taking us to Atlanta at 12pm was overbooked and they had to send two but the 2nd bus was 2hrs behind schedule. Made it to Atlanta at 8:25pm and missed my transfer. When I went to the ticket counter all they did was acknowledge that my bus was already gone and they didn't want to reprint me a ticket for the next bus which wasn't coming until 4am.

So I was stranded, with all my luggage, 5hrs from home for an extra 8 hours in one of the worst parts of Atlanta with no one to call because my family member had to go to work and couldn't make the drive up there. The only hotel I could see from the bus station was The Westin. I ended up paying $200 for a room there, had to pay a cab to take me and all my stuff to the hotel and I had to go online and purchase another ticket for the next morning. I am not being reimbursed for my room and I'm currently waiting on my refund to finish processing, etc. Worst experience ever. I would've given them a negative 5 if I could've.

A few days ago I had the best travel experience from Kelowna to Nelson BC. It was all because of the wonderful bus driver Neil, who made jokes, sang songs and quizzed us with local trivia. Neil is an inspiration to all of us to celebrate life and spread happiness in unexpected places. I am sure that Neil's wonderful attitude will rub off on more Greyhound employees.

On March 18, I took a bus heading from Kingston to Ottawa. Upon walking up to the bus, the driver greeted me and took my bag. He then asked if I was going to Ottawa, which I was, so I said yes. Although at the time I didn't realize that the bus driver was referencing downtown Ottawa, and not the stop in Kanata, which is still considered Ottawa. Very vague and ambiguous language along with a condescending tone on behalf of the driver created a negative vibe from the beginning. After 2 hours on the bus, we finally reached Kanata.

Upon exiting the bus with 3 other people, we wait for the driver to unload our bags. When we ask him for our bags, he begins to yell at me along with two others. He actually started to scream to the point where it was frightening, and considering all he had to do was open the other container I would consider it extremely melodramatic. The entire time I was thinking "Who the hell does this guy think he is?" From my experience in Public businesses, I was led to believe that to a degree the customer was always right. Unfortunately, this stuck-up, arrogant Greyhound bus driver ruined my trip over the simplest of mistakes.

The Greyhound bus currently broke down in Jersey turnpike just 45 minutes after leaving NYC. Instead of calling AAA, they called another driver from Philadelphia who will get here in minimum 2 hrs. We were already waiting for one 1 hr. So that's 3 hrs. That's not all. The battery ran out and all the lights went out. It was still pretty dark outside, and they had no safety cones on the bus. All the trucks passing by and they may not be able to see us because the safety lights went off. Major Safety hazards. This company is a joke.

I like riding the bus. Always have, commuted to work into Boston by bus for 26 years. The buses were usually on time getting me there without any problem. If there were problems it was due to accidents. Even in winter when it was very cold out the buses arrives on time. They had already been warmed up for the passengers to board. Yes there were times when the bus would break down and we would end up waiting up to an hour for a nice warm bus. But you have to expect that every once in a while. And you would get unruly passengers complaining the whole way home. That could be more irritating than anything else.

I purchased a one way ticket for my son. I paid EXTRA for a refundable ticket. My son decided not to make the trip, so I attempted to cancel and get a refund. Since I purchased it online from 2000 miles away, I could not go to the station to get a refund. I was told I would need to mail in the original ticket. I had my son mail it in, and we put extra postage on it just in case. It is now 10 WEEKS later, and the refund department claims they never received the ticket. Obviously they did, since it was never returned to me through the mail. They took me for almost $300!

I rode they Greyhound bus from Detroit to Cincinnati. We had an unruly drunk on our bus. While in transit to Cincinnati the bus driver made a poor decision about the drunk passenger. And because of that decision 8 passengers on the bus missed connecting bus to Nashville. We were told we would receive a full refund from the supervisor in Cincinnati. Because of this delay I was told I would not arrive in my final destination in south Fla till that Friday. I explained I needed to be back to work and home on that Thursday. They did nothing to help me and because of that I lost my job. I was promised a 50 dollar refund which I've been waiting for since September. Today is march 14 2017 and still no refund.

Greyhound have always been on time. Can pretty much set your watch by them. Have always had a comfortable ride, and were always helpful with my luggage.

Waited 6 hours at Union Station in Washington, DC and then was yelled at by an employee when the bus left an hour earlier than they told us! 25 people were left out in sub-zero weather wondering what was going on. Finally, SEVEN HOURS LATE we left. Tried to get a refund from Customer Service and they sent me in a phone loop! I can't believe this. Isn't it illegal to not refund a ticket? This company needs to be investigated and litigated for its business practices.

On March 12th, I was boarded on a bus by a Greyhound bus driver on schedule GLI 1537 heading to Columbus, OH... There are two complaints I have, the first is that boarding started a little early on my watch, then when I board I have baggage with me and the baggage handler was nowhere to be found. I saw other bags outside of the bus so I lined it up there with neither the driver or handler around even though we were told to board the bus. Then, as the driver boards the bus he takes off and I get out my seat to advise him of the issue, he shook it off told me to sit, said it wasn't his responsibility and then got on the portable speaking device to point me out and say that all customers should "keep an eye on all belongings... like this young man". Sort of to belittle me or to downplay the confusion I felt at the time.

I would just like to point out to Greyhound that workers should be on their posts at all times and that they should have gave an alert to passengers that on March 12th the hour on the clocks were being moved forward so customers should be alert of the time restraints that may incur as a result of the change in time... Maybe then there would have been less confusion and more alertness about bags being checked in early... Now I have to ride this bus in suspense hoping that my bag will be on this bus once it stops, all this for a frequent Greyhound bus traveler. At this time I feel very displeased with the service and may seek other options unless Greyhound Bus Lines can get back to me... Hope this will help other travelers out as well... God bless.

When reaching out for information for a trip, torn between flying or Greyhound. Service rep supplies all my options and details. Painless. The entire process was easier than calling a cab. Pleasant and personable. Thank you Greyhound.

On March 06, 17 at the Columbus, Ohio Greyhound Terminal, Drivers and Security led by Anthony ** boarded our bus from Cleveland, Ohio and very angrily and intimidatingly demanded everyone disembark and go to counter to have our trips rescheduled as the bus was out of service with no explanation as to why. Several mothers with small children as well as the majority of passengers asked why. One Driver angrily said "get your damn kids and personal items and get off!!" A couple of the mothers became angry with the demeanor of the Driver assisted by Security and pandemonium broke out. Me and others started videoing and this caused the Drivers and Security to become very angry and started threatening to snatch our phones from our hands and calling the police on us with the threat of being arrested. Mr. ** was extremely angry by us video taping and swore he would "sue my **".

One of the Drivers apparently lost his black bag and this was the reason the bus was being taken out of service. Several of the mothers became very vocal and crying which affected their children and as the situation only led to an increase of the Drivers very angry attitude assisted by Security who acted just as angry as the Drivers. Several minutes went by as chaos ensued and I overheard a Driver tell Security to "let their ** on and get them the ** out of here". They allowed us to re-board without saying a word to passengers who had gone to the counter and changed their itineraries. Several passengers were very angry at this and the bus proceeded to Dayton.

After an hour layover in Dayton Mr. ** arrived and upon seeing me in line to board, he stopped and went outside with the Security Officer and came back inside and told me "your ** was with them in Columbus cussing me out and you ain't getting on my damn bus". He and Security told me I would have to find another way home and I was in total shock. I was simply standing there taping the whole chaotic mess and the only interaction I had with Mr. ** was him assuring me he would "sue my **" and everyone else taping. The kind woman at the ticket booth rescheduled me for another bus 5 hours later. I was definitely in fear for my safety because all the Security Officer had to do was call the local authorities and I would have been barred or arrested for trespassing. My fear of being choked out, tazed, or shot was overwhelming and all I could do was pray.

I refuse to stop using Greyhound because of the bullying everyone knows about the Drivers and their constant threats of abandoning you in desolate locations and choose to stand up against bullying. Two weeks prior to this incident the way a baggage handler made this elderly woman cry by yelling at her while calling her stupid shook me to my core. I have that incident on my phone as well.

I strongly recommend anyone coming in contact with Mr. ** and the other Drivers and Terminal Employees displaying this unprecedented angry, rude behavior, Please, Please do not engage them. What happened to me could very easily happen to a loved one of yours far from home and without help from these very angry, unprofessional Bullies. Greyhound has some very, very nice people working for them. These few, who I can point out, exact their meanness with impunity as never having been called out for this atrocious behavior and they alone scar the uniform they disgrace by their actions.

I am currently trying to get to Arkansas to take care of my sick father. I bought my ticket online and expected to be well on my way by now. I approached the ticket counter 8 minutes before my bus was scheduled to leave. The individual behind the counter said, "we don't sell tickets unless you're here 10 minutes before your bus leaves." I told him I wasn't buying a ticket, just picking it up. He rudely told me no again. I asked if he couldn't or wouldn't... he wouldn't. So I said, "fine, can I switch to the next bus," which was leaving in 15 minutes. At this point he asked for my confirmation number.

Well, the Greyhound website never emailed me a confirmation number. I told him this and asked if he could just look up my name, which I know for a fact they can do without difficulty because I had attempted to get on the same bus yesterday and the woman looked me up instantly. He said he wouldn't do it, citing no reason besides the fact that he didn't want. I told him that was ridiculous and asked to speak to a supervisor. He flat out told me no to that request as well. He then called up the next unfortunate customer. I was irate, and as I was walking away to find someone else said, "this is **. This **" then called security and I was wrongfully escorted from the building. I did absolutely nothing wrong. I have nowhere to go, no money and am sitting outside the station still right now. I plan on filing a complaint asap. I'm at a loss for words. ** Greyhound! Pardon my language.

This company lets you pay for a ticket online, but you must wait "6-8 weeks" for a refund. This is a hoax to jerk you around until you give up asking. No one through customer service speaks English as a native language, so it's hard to communicate. I was passed around each time I called. It's now been 10 weeks since I mailed my certified letter asking for a refund, and I am quite certain at this point I will not receive it.

The bus station in Cleveland Oh, I entered the bathroom and walked right out! There was feces all over the floor and toilets. The whole place was a nasty filthy disgusting place. This station definitely needs a complete scrub down. A very unsatisfied rider here!!!

My 83 year old mother has adopted the bus as her primary long distance transportation. She has used it one way and round trip at least half a dozen times since July 2013 out of Columbus Ohio. My siblings and I have been very pleased with the reports we get from her as to her treatment. She gives Greyhound and Indian Trails rave reviews, I would say **** 4 stars. She feels safe. However the customer service is weak. Limited hours and uninformed employees make it challenging for a person who is legally deaf.

I have ridden Greyhound and my overall experience was ok. However, customer service could have been a bit more polite and helpful. But my ride was smooth. Thank you.

I have taken the Greyhound to different states and every time my experience has been a good one. Driver tell the passengers where they can get food or where restrooms are if there are none at the stop. They inform us how long the wait is gonna be or whatever the situation is, they let us know. It's always nice to know what's happening when you're on the road with total strangers.

I departed from San Bernardino bus terminal. Started out very pleasant. Headed for downtown Vegas. When arriving in Vegas I discovered my luggage had been stolen. Not knowing what to do I went inside terminal. Went to ask front desk employees for help. I asked for luggage claim form. I was rudely told I had to wait 48 hrs I said ok. Asked for the employee name so I may call back and I was rudely told who the hell am I to be asking questions. A heavy set man who said his name was Jose basically told me "get at San bernardino terminal. It wasn't Vegas problem."

Here I am no luggage and the people who should have assisted me treated me like trash. They were rude and very disrespectful. Refused to help me or direct me toward someone who could help me. For someone like me who doesn't drive and is scared of flying I'd rather stay home than ever travel Greyhound again. The staff in Vegas on Feb 24 , 2017 at 11: 30 pm at night are some of the most unprofessional employees I have ever meet and something seriously needs to be done. I paid good money for my ticket and even after being disrespected I stayed polite. My experience with Las Vegas Greyhound terminal was a nightmare. Very poor staff.

I took a bus from White River Junction, VT to Manchester, NH. The bus ride is a mere 90 miles. I have taken this trip often. I usually read and work on the bus. It normally is about an hour and half trip. This trip took 8.5 hours because the driver got lost. I called and filled out a customer service report on what had happened. Finally, after about a week of not hearing from anyone, I called them up, they told me somebody would get back to me. Two weeks later, I still hadn't heard from them. Called them again, they put me through, but I had to leave a message.

A couple of days later I get a call from a Senior Customer Service Analysis. He pulled up my file and agreed that an egregious error had occurred. He said they would refund my money, and I asked him, "what about the extra 6 hours on the bus, and the dinner I had to pay for and the hotel room." He told me they only reimburse the fare. I reminded him that the additional expenses were due to either the poor training of the driver or his incompetence. I told this driver twice he was going in the wrong direction, and finally after telling him the second time, I called 911 to report what I thought was a medical emergency with the driver, because I didn't know how else to explain what was taking place.

The police pulled us over and talked to the driver and told me he was ok. I asked the driver what had happened and he told me that it was weird, Vermont and New Hampshire have cities with the same names??? So he must have programmed his GPS with Manchester, VT rather than Manchester, NH. I guess I should consider myself lucky that he didn't program in Manchester, England. What kind of company has drivers that do stuff like that? How many companies tell their customers that they are only going to reimburse for the fare, and not for anything else including the discomfort of sitting on a bus that long, and the food; and the reason they only pay for the fare? He reminded me that Greyhound is in business to make money and if they paid for anything more than the fare they would be out of business. Go figure. I started riding on Greyhound when I was about 8 years old, and used them to this day, but never again.

While their customer service is good their buses on the road seem quite dangerous. The drivers cut in and out of traffic as though they are the only vehicles on the road, exceeding the speed limit and showing no consideration to other drivers.

Oh my goodness. The worst experience ever! This woman in Port Authority NY customer helpdesk yelled at me for merely asking where my Virginia departure gate was. She's elderly and gray. I don't know why they hired her.

Sadly I had to give one star. I wish I could give NO stars. Greyhound is without a doubt the WORST bus I've ever used. They are ALWAYS late and the employees are not too bright. In October 2016 I purchased a round trip ticket from Boston to Worcester and back. The bus that was suppose to pick me up in Worcester at 7:35 pm NEVER showed up. I had to take the purple line train back to Boston. Because Greyhound stranded me and NEVER called me, I missed the last bus from Boston to Salem NH. I had to stay in South Station from 11:00 pm till 8:00 am waiting on my Boston Express bus to get back to NH. I filled out a complaint form and requested my money back for the ticket I couldn't use.

It is now February 26, 2017 and I STILL have NOT gotten my money back. After a few months I am now on their bus again trying to get to Worcester. The bus was suppose to leave at 12:15. It didn't leave until 12:35. The bus driver was a LOUD MOUTH, IGNORANT **... I can honestly say this IS the LAST time I will EVER ride Greyhound. This is the most UNDEPENDABLE bus company. I will take the MBTA train from now on. I gave Greyhound another chance after they left me stranded. And AGAIN this company ** UP.

AVOID GREYHOUND BUS at all cost! Not worth it! 3 hours late because they ran out of gas??? Bus was filthy, got SCABIES from bus - filthy & smelly & customer service lies when asking for refund! Never ride this bus company again! BUGS in bus!

Greyhound Company Profile