2. Travel
Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.5/5 (1822 ratings)

About Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a global car rental company with more than 8,000 locations. Customers can rent cars, SUVs, trucks, minivans, vans, exotic cars and moving trucks. Frequent renters can enroll in its Enterprise Plus program to get benefits like points earned for every rental, free rental days and members-only check-in.

Pros

• Offers rental cars for any budget
  • One-way or long-term rentals
  • Wide selection of cars

Cons

• Cars may have high mileage

Bottom Line

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a reputable car rental company with locations all across the world. It offers a wide selection of safe and reliable cars for just about any budget.

Top Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Verified

I dealt with Enterprise in Oakville on the South Service Road. I must say that Joe ** and his staff were outstanding. I had to rent a vehicle for 2 months and came in several time...

Verified

From start to finish I enjoyed a hassle-free experience. The reservation web site is easy to use, the prices are reasonable, and the folks are super-nice… Stephen, picked me up at...

What is Enterprise Rent-A-Car?

Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a global vehicle rental service company that offers a wide selection of vehicles to travelers or those who need a short-term vehicle.

Drivers can find an Enterprise rental location in most major airports and other locations throughout the country. If you use rental cars regularly, you can subscribe to Enterprise and take advantage of benefits such as access to a range of vehicles and insurance, maintenance and roadside assistance for just one monthly payment. Subscribing with Enterprise also lets you swap out vehicles up to four times in a month.

From compact sedans to minivans, trucks and luxury cars, Enterprise makes it easy to reserve, rent and return rental cars across the country.

How does Enterprise work?

The first step in renting a car through Enterprise is the reservation process. As you browse its online inventory of rental cars, you’re asked to input information such as:

• The type of car you want
  • Pickup location
  • Drop off location
  • Pickup/drop off dates
  • Additional coverage options
  • Added features (car seats, GPS, snow chains)

Once you’ve input this information, Enterprise will produce a list of vehicles that meet your needs.

Picking up the car
Once you’ve made your reservation, pick up your rental car on the predetermined date at an Enterprise location. An agent helps you locate the car on the property and do a walkthrough to take note of any damages or issues with the car before you take it. After signing some paperwork, you’re free to take the car for your agreed-upon rental.
Additional options
During the reservation process, you will sign a damage waiver that covers minor damage to the rental car such as scratches or dents. This is an optional protection plan, but any minor damages to the rental car will come out of pocket if you choose not to sign a damage waiver.

Drivers can also add personal accident insurance or personal effects coverage at the time of their rental for an additional daily charge. These insurances are optional, and the cost varies based on the location where you are renting the car.

If you are worried about losing your keys, running out of gas, or getting locked out of your car, you can add roadside assistance protection to your reservation so that you aren't charged out of pocket for these roadside incidents.

Returning the car
When it is time to return the car, drive it to the predetermined drop off location. During drop off, an Enterprise agent will perform a walk-through inspection again to ensure the car has not been damaged.

The agent will also check that the car has been refueled. If you choose not to fill up the gas tank, you will be charged the company’s gas rate, which is usually more expensive than the local pump price. If you are picking up a rental car at the airport, you can prepay for fuel, which lets you return the car without worrying about filling it up.

If you need your rental car for a few days longer, you can call the Enterprise location and ask if the car is available for an extension. There are no penalties for returning your car early, but you can only return your car to a non-airport location during business hours. Enterprise locations within the airport usually allow returns after hours.

How to rent a car with Enterprise

To secure a rental car, you must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable form of payment and meet the rental location’s minimum age requirements. Most rental locations set their minimum driver age at 25 but may allow drivers between 21 and 24 to rent a car with a “youthful driver surcharge” of $20 a day. You will also be required to put down a deposit that varies by location.

Enterprise car rental price

The cost of your rental car depends on a variety of factors, including how long you have the car, what type of car you choose, your rental location and any insurance or additional products you select. Below are a few examples of the most common types of rental car selections and the cost for a week.

VehicleCost
Standard SUV (Ford Edge or similar)$256 a week
Luxury car (Cadillac XTS or similar)$282 a week
Premium SUV (Chevy Suburban or similar)$464 a week
Luxury elite SUV (Land Rover Discovery or similar)$468 a week

Other costs to consider when renting a car include local taxes, damage waivers, accident insurance, roadside protection and additional equipment, such as car seats or a GPS.

Enterprise FAQ

What does Enterprise car rental insurance cover?
Enterprise offers three different tiers of car rental insurance. There is the basic damage waiver that covers minor damages to the car, the personal accident insurance that covers the driver and the passengers in the car if there's an accident and the personal effects coverage that covers the driver, any passengers in the car and drivers of other vehicles if you’re liable.
What time does Enterprise open?
Most Enterprise locations open at 6 a.m., but this can vary between locations, so it's important to check before you rent a car.
What time does Enterprise close?
Some locations close at 5 p.m., while others are open much later. Operating hours depend on the location.
What kind of cars does enterprise rent?
Enterprise offers a wide variety of cars in different makes, models and sizes. Drivers can rent an economy car, pickup truck, sedan, SUV or luxury vehicle.
Does Enterprise own other rental car companies?
Yes. Enterprise is the parent company of National Car Rental, Alamo Rent a Car, and Enterprise CarShare.

Is Enterprise a good car rental company?

Enterprise offers a wide selection of high-end vehicles in hundreds of locations across the country. It rents many newer model cars that get regular maintenance and cleaning. The company’s high number of locations makes it a convenient choice if you need to rent a car for short- or long-term use.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent-A-Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Enterprise Rent A Car?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I reserved a car the beginning of the week for Saturday. I was given a confirmation number. I was all set to pick up the car Saturday morning at 8 am giving myself enough time to arrive in High Point to attend a funeral. I received a call at 6:19 Friday evening saying no cars was available, not giving me enough time to reserve something else at a different company so I called the corporate office. They said it was cars available at the Kinston location. I explained to her the call I received and ask to speak to a supervisor, after waiting 10 min she came on the phone apologizing for the inconvenience and took my name and number and said she would look at a different location. I never heard anything else from Enterprise. It was so unprofessional how they waited until closing to call me. This was at the Kinston NC location

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Sabrina, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Enterprise.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Original review: June 27, 2021

Sean, the branch manager, and his staff went above and beyond to accommodate me with professionalism, and their partnership with Country Financial (my car was totaled in a deer incident) was an entirely positive experience. I went in the second day of my rental to ask about a solution to the serious smoke smell in the car assigned to me. Sean immediately offered to replace the car, which solved the problem.

I enjoyed driving the 2020 Hyundai Elantra for sure. Later that day, but after closing, I realized I had left my garage door opener on the visor. I drove to the branch, was blessed to have an off-the-clock employee arrive at the same time, and, of course, he was able to get me into the car to retrieve my opener. I got a call from Sean the day before the insurance rental coverage ran out to remind me of it. Every time I spoke with Sean he was gracious, patient, and entirely helpful. His branch was understaffed, for various reasons, but he took it in stride with a great attitude. This is the first car rental experience I have ever had in my 64 years, and it set a high bar.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Kari, thank you very much for the wonderful review! Our team is happy to hear that we have gained your complete satisfaction. Your feedback and your review are greatly appreciated! Please let us know if we can be of any assistance to you! We’ll see you next time! – Carol H.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2021

Wow, I'm disappointed that I'm having to terminate my dealings with Enterprise. Due to the fact of how high they are now. Enterprise was my go-to place when I needed a car at the 1st of the month, I'm a senior and renting a car from them every 3rd of the month saved me a lot of money rather than paying individuals to run me around. The deposit went up. Of course that's not a problem because you get that back but now the rates have skyrocketed. Also a vehicle use to run around 47-60 something not including the insurance which was ok but now a compact car cost over $96 not including insurance and taxes.

I'm sad that I can't afford to rent anymore, when you living on a set income there is simply no way. Thanks Enterprise for the years you were there for me, but now I can no longer afford you. I won't complain about my experience with you all. Everyone was friendly & courteous. I had gotten the chance over the years to know some of them personally because they was use to me coming in every month and the service was excellent also. The cars was always clean. Thanks again. You need a senior program. ☺️

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

A. J. , thank you for sharing with us. We certainly understand your sentiments. Our rates do vary depending on the time of year, availability and other factors. If we can help, please email care@enterprise.com with your contact information, the reservation or rental agreement number, the exact rental office location and any other details so we can research this promptly. – Carol H

Original review: April 28, 2021

We traveled 200 miles from the Kenai Peninsula to Alaska Sales and Service to have a 90,000 mile service done on our Cadillac. Due to a spinal injury, I do not walk well and these nice people not only kept our reservation, they came to the dealership to pick us up! We were both impressed by the courtesy and professionalism from Andre **. We were given a fairly new Jeep Compass to drive for three days. When our service was complete, Andre checked in our Jeep, we settled up and were on our way home. Best rental experience we've had in more than 30 years. When we need a rental car, we'll be back! Andre ** and team, you are indeed 5 stars. You went the extra mile for us.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Sherry, thanks for your review! We're thrilled to hear you had a great experience with us! We'll see you again next time! - Carol H.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I want to give a shout out to Jaila ** (Rental Mgt Trainee) at Enterprise Rental. Jaila was working with my insurance company to prepare a rental for me. She called me the night before to ask me some questions in prep to pick a vehicle the following day. Jaila was extremely pleasant and very professional. It was like I've known her for a long time because her disposition over the phone was CLASS A. My daughter and I went to Enterprise the following morning and met with Jaila. She was just a nice as she was the night before.

Jaila was very detailed, kind, friendly and extremely professional. My daughter looked at me and said "Dad...shes' extremely professional." Jaila, keep up the awesome job... You going to be a great manager and because of your kindness and professionalism, I believe that customers like me will never forget the great experience when they come in contact with you, and will become a lifetime customer of Enterprise. HAPPY CUSTOMER!!! :). Don

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Don, we're very happy we could provide you with such a positive experience! We'll pass along your comments to our upper management team over our locations in Michigan! Thank you for choosing Enterprise! We hope to see you again soon! - Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I reserved a mini van via the internet/website 3 weeks before a funeral, so a group of us could travel together. The night before we left they told us that they did not have a mini van for us or any equivalent. I will never use this company again. Hoping that you won't experience the same issue as we did. I heard, people didn't return the vehicle on time or returned vehicles damaged so they had none available.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Cheryldesvernine, we’re disappointed to hear about your experience. We’d like to learn more about this. To do so, please email us at care@enterprise.com include your reservation & rental agreement numbers, your contact information, full name as it appears on the rental agreement, and any additional details regarding your concern. Thank you. – Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Dealing with this company has been a nightmare. I would much rather take public transit than have to deal with this joke of a company again. In August 2021 I had a rental vehicle through Enterprise while my own vehicle was in the body shop. After about 2 weeks of having the rental vehicle (which is being paid through my own insurance company) they charged my credit card for $210 without contacting me at all. When I called them to ask what it was they had said my insurance stopped paying for it (?! I hadn't even reached my policy limit for my rental vehicle) and that I technically now have to pay for the rental. Um no. I had to make calls to the body shop, my insurance, and Enterprise several times just to get it sorted out.

The rental vehicle suffered hail damage while I had the vehicle so I opened a claim with my insurance for it and paid the $500 deductible to them. Since they had already charged my credit card the $210 that I did not have to pay anymore I told them to just keep the charge on my credit card and I would pay the difference with my debit card to pay for the $500. 1 week later I'm getting a call asking about how I would like to pay the rest of the deductible. Uh hello, I paid you guys $210 on my credit card and the rest in debit when I returned the vehicle to you guys.

I had immediately called to let them know that the rental had suffered hail damage and that I had already opened a claim with my insurance. THREE people asked me for my insurance information. I gave it to them. I'm still receiving emails from them asking for my insurance information! I've already sent it through an email and gave it to three separate people on the phone and in person when I returned the car! So here I am, trying to call their claims department and have been on hold for 2 hours just trying to get this sorted out. My insurance claim has been opened for a month and a half already and despite giving my insurance information to several of their employees they still can't get it sorted out on their own.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Nicole, I apologize that our service did not meet your expectations we would like to look into this further. Please email Care@Enterpirse.com with your contact information, your reservation or rental agreement number, and all the details of your experience. Thanks. –Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I was having a billing problem with my rental. Called and got Rachel on the phone and within 10 minutes my problem and bill were fixed. Great customer service and my rental was nice as well. Always friendly dealing with them.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Steve, thanks for the shout out! It's our goal to provide excellent customer service every time and are delighted to hear about the fantastic service you received from Rachel. See you next time! - Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

We had placed an order for a mid size SUV, on our visit to Port St. Lucie arriving from the west coast. When we got there, the employees kept us waiting for over an hour saying the vehicle was still arriving, and then went on to say it was getting washed, and finally the vehicle was not there. We were very disappointed since we had rented this vehicle for an entire week, and had plans to travel to other cities. At the end of a still longer stay at this business, we were sent away with a small car, much to our disappointment and dissatisfaction.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Chandini, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to Care@Enterprise.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. Kind regards. -Carol H.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

After an accident, we needed a loaner vehicle. They called me, and set it all up. The car was clean full of gas, and ready to go. After having the car for a week, we dropped the car off, after hours, on a Friday night. Immediately after dropping the keys in the slot, my husband realized, his phone was still in it. One of the cleaners, Brandon offered to go meet the manager, to get the keys. The manager came back, and unlocked the vehicle. We were so thankful for their above and beyond service! We will definitely use this company again!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car response

Darlene, thanks for taking the time to share your great rental experience with us! We'll be sure to pass this compliment along. See you next time! – Carol H.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company Information