3.48/5

2218 Delta Air Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

I called customer service because the price of my ticket dropped $50 a ticket the next day. They said because it was after 11:59 pm they could not do anything. Now I am out $150 total for 3 tickets. Horrible customer service. Never again will a use Delta. My hometown airline!

Original review: April 18, 2019

Delta is my airline of choice. They offer consistent service with minimal departure and arrival delays. The staff is courteous and friendly and helpful should you need anything. After countless flight delays by competitor airlines, I only book Delta if at all possible.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

For the start-off I was at the airport 7 hours before my flight. I ask a representative if I could check my bags so that I can explore Boston. I was told that you can check a bag but only 6 hours before the flight. She would not take my bag. It was 7 hours til my flight. I had to drag my luggage to downtown Boston because she would not take it. Then return to the airport to find that my flight is being delayed. Understandable seeing the weather in the South was very bad.

It was a man in front of me in line trying to speak to a representative at the gate. He showed her his ticket and asked when the next available flight will be because he was delayed by their flight's not being on time. When he showed her his ticket she grabbed it from his hand and tossed it at them. She was very rude. That person should be fired. I have found out there a few times in the past and each time was a very bad experience. I will never fly Delta again and would never recommend anybody use their service.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I booked a round trip from the official Delta website, Sarasota (U.S.A.) <=> Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia). For my returning flight on the 11th of April 2019, I arrived in Kuala Lumpur International Airport’s check-in counter for my flight from Kuala Lumpur to Shanghai (Delta 6371, operated by Shanghai Airlines) at 11.30 pm as the flight time was 1.55 am. The staff at the check-in counter scrutinized my U.S.A. visa on my passport. Afterward, the staff informed me that they had to console their supervisor so I stood patiently at the counter.

About 30 minutes elapsed and a girl with a black uniform came and took a picture of my visa’s page. It looked like she was waiting for someone’s approval. She seemed busy handling other passengers’ problems as well. After some time, she told me that my visa was expired and that I couldn’t depart. I told her that the expiry date on my visa was meant for my first entry to U.S.A. which I already complied to and there was specific evidence stamped on the visa that I had already entered on the 4th of March 2019. Additionally, I showed her my ID card made in Florida and told her that I possessed a Social Security Number.

I tried explaining thoroughly about the fact that my visa was not an ordinary visa. It was a migrant visa using a special stamp. On it, there was an I551. An I-551 stamp is temporary evidence of lawful permanent residence. It is issued in the passport upon arrival in the US, and serves as proof that the immigrant has permanent resident status while the actual green card is being generated. 1 stamp with a validity period of six to twelve months, and usually has the following text on it: “UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR.”

When I obtained my U.S.A. visa, the immigration officer explained to me in detail that I can leave U.S.A. using I551. I also asked the immigration office in U.S.A. for further confirmation. I even asked the Atlanta’s airport immigration officer if I could go and return to U.S.A. during my departure journey, using I551 and he confirmed it was a temporary green card.

She did not listen to me and disappeared. I kept waiting and waiting but she never came back so I tried inquiring the other check-in counters’ staffs regarding her whereabouts. They told me that she went to one of the terminal gates to help assist the departing flight. I was left alone at the check-in counter and my flight was about to take-off. The check-in counter’s staffs were about to leave and they told me that they were not responsible for these type of things; only the girl who left had the authority and they said that she’d be at the office after the plane departs.

I went to the office on the 4th floor and knocked on the door but there was no response so I went to the information desk. I told them about my problem and I heard the staff contact the girl. They said that her name was Pauline. I made my way back to the office and knocked on the door. This time, there was a man who said that he’s aware of my predicament. He repetitively asked me to show him my green card without listening to a word I explained. I told him we should call the U.S.A. immigration office for legitimate proof and once again he ignored me but this time, he slammed the door right in front of my face.

Leaving my trolley of heavy baggages in front of the office, I went up to the information center to ask for help. In order to fetch my baggages, I went back down to the office and on the way, I perceived the two staffs I encountered - the guy and the girl - leaving the office. They completely ignored me when I approached them and went off. Once again, I was left alone.

I bought another ticket from Malaysia Airlines to fly from Kuala Lumpur to LA with a transit in Hong Kong in between. Although my final destination was Sarasota, Florida, I had no choice but to land in LA as that was the only route available on that day. I went to the Delta ticket counter in LAX airport and informed the employees there about my current situation. One of the employees seemed like she was reporting my case. Finally, she told me that they’re not responsible for Shanghai Airlines’ mishandlings and Delta Air Lines had nothing to do with it. Then, she gave me a free ticket to Sarasota, Florida.

Can you ever imagine what I went through during my long journey? Kuala Lumpur was also my transit so I couldn’t stay in Kuala Lumpur for one night. Who is responsible for my case? Shanghai Airlines or Delta Air Lines or both? What if I couldn’t get a flight ticket on that particular day or what if I lacked money to do so? Was I supposed to be stuck in Kuala Lumpur’s International Airport without anyone helping me? How can one be so ignorant to leave a passenger who bought a ticket from their airline to be alone in the airport? If they didn’t understand, they should’ve asked a person who did and not entirely ignore a passenger who needed help. If the airlines do not respond immediately, I will take further action than necessary.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have spent days trying to transfer some of my SkyMiles to my son and his fiance for them to get flights for their honeymoon. They have spent hours and hours over several weeks trying to set up an account connected to a credit card. I have spent days trying to get the miles to transfer to them. I spent almost 3 hours this morning online, on hold on the phone and with 3 different agents to be told that I can transfer the miles but it would cost me over $1000! I have already paid for these miles.

And now I have to pay again just to transfer them? All 3 agents gave me differing information about parts of this process and why I couldn't transfer the miles. Twice I was told incorrect information that I knew I had just read online. I am sick of no customer service and the fees associated with using what is touted as a "benefit". This is not the Delta I have been so very loyal to. No more!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Air Lines?

Original review: April 11, 2019

Customer service is horrible. Got charged for my bag at check in the night before and ticket counter at airport would not refund. Gave me a number to call. After 45 minutes on the phone got transferred to returns and had to start all over with them. After talking to a supervisor apparently they have no record of who I talked to originally and still could not refund. Seriously? They could not find record of a flight I took 3 days ago????

Original review: April 5, 2019

My family booked our vacation, including flights, in November in preparation for a trip in March. Knowing we would be traveling internationally with three small children, one only being two years of age, we knew this would be a process. Delta seated our family scattered through the plane, leaving my two year old to be seated on his own, as well as my 7 and 8 year old children. This is unacceptable. My 2 year old child should not be seated in between two strangers on an international flight! This was terrifying to my son and he was concerned I was leaving him. Shame on Delta. I will never fly Delta again.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I paid extra for a flight on Delta which allows one carry-on item. I am a frequent flyer and have flown with my carry-on many times in the past and have never been asked to check it. Today, I am flying out of SLC because my mom is dying and I needed to get home quickly. The EXTREMELY rude lady at the ticket gate forced me to check my bag even though it was within the federal regulations and many other people had the same size bag were allowed through. I told her my circumstances and that I don’t have time to spare. The lady had zero compassion and forced me to check it. Guess what? There’s plenty of overhead space. Part of the ticket price includes a carry-on item. They shouldn’t allow one carry-on if there are going to take it. I will never fly this airline ever again.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I paid $1200 for a day trip from YUL to ATL. When I tried to check in for my return flight it would not assign a seat on my electronic boarding card. When I got to the gate the gate agent cleverly said we will post your seat on the board, so I said why can’t you print me a boarding pass and he said, "Well you should’ve bought the ticket upgrade in comfort zone and then you would’ve had a seat assigned!" Wow how low can you go!

Original review: April 1, 2019

The check in desk both clerks refused to check in my daughter in who was traveling with her mother to visit a sick grandmother in spite of having her Canadian passport!!! They said she has to have a visit Visa to Egypt or to have a valid Egyptian passport!!! I was just came 2 weeks ago from Egypt and I tried to explain to both of them that a Canadian passport doesn't have to have a Visa to enter Egypt but they insist that she must have a pretty issued Visa. I explained to them more than 3 times but they refused even to check with main office of Delta airlines as they know their job well.

I had to rush back from Vancouver airport to Burnaby and to the airport again to fetch my daughter passport which they DIDN'T EVEN CHECK. The way they spoke was very rude like giving an orders. They were not friendly at all. By their lack of essential knowledge they must have to present a great airline company like DELTA airlines. They stopped us having a better traveling meeting in the airport which was planned before.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Highly recommend, the best company, excellent in customer service. My daughter booked two trips next month from American Airline and Delta. When I did change today, the two companies response are totally different. Delta customer service is excellent, they respond to the phone call immediately, an agent on phone resolving the issue with a warm heart, do the best assistant me, you will feel the world is beautiful because there are beautiful people.

Amerian Airline customer service is horrible. It not just waiting for 30 minutes to get a response. Also the agent on the phone is heartless, Cold. The ticket is $1200. The agent refuses correction ticket, credit or refund. The flight schedule is a half month from today, make me total confuse, it is a conspiracy that big company (AA) cheater customers and take advantage of consumers. The response from Both Airline Company, The Result is: AA is the worst Airline Company. Delta is the best company, they are beautiful people and make the world a beautiful Place to live. Highly Recommend!!

Original review: March 29, 2019

4 dogs on a Delta flight. Is this as dangerous as I think. One was at least 50 pounds. Having owned many dogs all dogs can bite. All of them. Especially on unpredictable children as dogs are unpredictable also. A child will be mauled eventually with this Delta policy. How do you secure a animal during turbulence? A missile in this event. The smell of 4 dogs on a plane after 30 min was disgusting and sickening. If a guest complains the animal has been prioritized. So you can take another flight. All of the travelers I have seen are ** woman.

I ask a lady with a dog how to get it onboard. She stated no health record is needed and if any questions are asked she states it is a service animal. The agent cannot ask for proof or question the guest any further. Is this Delta airline policies? Delta refuses to address this issue or respond to my comment. TripAdvisor will not print this issue. They are greedy politicians in anybody’s pocket that can make them more money. Greedy mud dwellers. Have a terrible day as you have given your customers. Gfy.

Original review: March 27, 2019

During my flight from Detroit to Greensboro the flight attendant asked if a Asian married couple (sitting in front of me) could perform the duties of someone sitting at the exit window. The man said yes but his wife had broken English so the flight attendant asked again attempting to engage her in a conversation. Where was she going she asked the wife. When the husband answered for his wife the attendant said rudely, "I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to her." I was shocked and intimidated by her response. I got off the plane and told my family who was there to pick me up. I went to work and talked about the couples situation. I still feel furious of how the couple was treated. I fly a lot to Greensboro and other places and haven't come across such rudeness by any of the airlines. Best Regards, Heidi **.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I am on flight 1291 & the front check in desk lady who took my ticket was extremely rude & absolutely unprofessional. I am shocked and find it ridiculous this person is even allowed to be around customers. I know nothing will be done, but I have been flying with Delta for a long time & if you are considering a airline, do not use Delta.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I was booked for a Monday afternoon flight on March 4, 2019 from Boston to Cleveland. It snowed overnight. The flight was cancelled and I was auto booked onto 6pm flight. That was cancelled and I was auto booked onto an 8pm flight. That was cancelled and I was auto booked on a flight the next morning (Tuesday). I called and they were able to rebook me onto a 6pm flight on Monday with a 1.5 layover in Detroit. The 6pm flight was delayed by half an hour. Then it was delayed by an hour. Then it was delayed by 75 minutes.

I arrived in Detroit with less than 20 minutes to make it to my connecting flight from Detroit to Cleveland to run from gate 77 to gate 29. I asked them to contact the gate to let them know I was coming. The gate closed and I could not get on the flight. I have sat on flights as we delayed departure because someone was running to make the connecting flight. I was extremely frustrated with the inability to wait what would have been a few minutes. I booked a flight from Detroit to Cleveland the next morning. I was forced to stay in a motel overnight unless I chose to sleep in the airport. Because I had a 9am meeting I didn't want to attend the meeting after sleeping in an airport. So I booked a hotel room for the night.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Delta used to leave much to be desired in customer service but I must say they have cleaned up their act. They recently rolled out new uniforms and much more professional as opposed to just rolling out of bed, which they did for many years. Kudos to the staff and team!

Original review: March 18, 2019

The seats in coach are exceptionally uncomfortable and small. I am a tiny woman, weighing in at 100 pounds, and I found the seats too small. This was a rather large, flight, too. Would not recommend anyone take a lengthy flight on Delta.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I had to fly to SLC for treatment Feb 26th. The unexpected snowstorm put us in a state of emergency. Zero communication, no power. After 6 adjusted flights, closed interstate, weather etc., 20 hr delay, I finally made it to my appt. The next morning I am so ready to get home; I miss my flight. Meltdown. When I used the “Need Help” phone Lindsay answered, within minutes instructed me to reprint my boarding pass, nonstop, find G F11, and said “was glad to be able to help.” Forever grateful. No extra charge for this 7th change either. I was a Basic Economy 1st flyer; Delta treated me like 1st Class. Though I believe they are like that with everyone. Such excellent service with sincere concern. Also I will follow policy; it was my fault I missed my flight, Delta made me feel it wasn’t.

Original review: March 18, 2019

They are better at everything. Customer service to pilot interaction. Price is a little more but usually worth it. On time and baggage service are tops!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Delta is brutal for one with chronic pain. The baggage fees for my pillows, which are needed for the condition, is outside my budget. Further, due to the tightness in the cabins and the seat design, this adds to an increase in pain triggers.

Original review: March 17, 2019

They have the best, most courteous staff people. In a recent weather crisis at MSP (and all of NE states), the people at the Help Desks were so calm, helpful, logical, insightful, and caring. WOW. I previously had wonderful interaction with their customer service people and would rate them also at the top.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Delta Air Lines allows you to pick your seating prior to flight which for me being a large woman and my husband over 6ft., have a chance to pick a seat with more leg room and occasionally seat space. I would love to learn that all the other airlines would began to have seating like in the 60's & 70's. People didn't mind paying the fares because they knew, the flight experience would be worth it. I do believe that airlines manipulate and take unfair advantage of the consumer, especially when it comes to luggage and the size of carry on. That being said, consumers have also learned how to manipulate right back that is not fair to consumers who are following airline policies in this regard.

Then there is the issue of unruly children, pets, and the amount of alcohol consumption on a flight. I know that we live in a competitive society - some company is always out to (get you, to spend at their store, airline, etc.) and yet the customer service is at the lower end of the "fecal pole". No one wants to spend money saved, or earned for a trip and be treated like crap by that company's employee. Customer service can be difficult but it has to be practiced and real in a competitive society. The higher the customer service without the price tag being attached, the more consumers are willing to purchase, that company services. Thank you for listening.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Stop charging for bags & different levels (economy, economy plus; etc.). Need to do better w/ the disabled. Let them off FIRST & assist them on & off the plane with their carry on. Disabled persons should be treated even before first class or any other type of traveler.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Just like they used to say, "Delta is ready when you are!" We were more than ready!! My wife and I flew to Los Angeles in order to take a cruise to Hawaii. We flew, for the very first time, first class! What a treat it was too. Our stewardess was always checking in with us to be sure if we did need anything or not. She was very pleasant and we appreciated her attention to details! Our flight was terrific and we'd fly Delta again with no hesitation.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I've had better luck with this airline than many others including booking and not being bumped. The flight was decent and I was actually impressed with them over American Airlines. You can also generally select your seating and even move up to first class if this is available on the day of the flight.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Pleasant but both legs delayed. PDX to ATL had to return to the terminal for unknown reason. ATL to SHR flight changed gates, plane had not arrived by scheduled time of arrival in Shreveport. After loaded had to wait a short while to get the paperwork needed to release plane from the service problem that was fixed.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I didn't fly yet but, having an issue with my ticket, I called the customer service in the Ohio office. I was so impressed by their professionalism and their care for the customers. They solved my problem right away. I'm sending them a big thank you, to Oliver ** in particular.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Delta has been our go to airline for years!! However, the new Sky Miles program is very disappointing compared to the old program. We’ve been Sky Mile members for years and spouse travels weekly for business. He took a one year sabbatical when his father passed away and didn’t travel, about the same time Delta changed their requirements... Unfortunately he lost his Diamond Status and had to completely start over which has ultimately taken his perks away. We use those miles for family trips and vacations. Sort of a slap in the face for a member who’d been Diamond status for quite some time. Been a little less accommodating when overbooking flights which happens often. Serious problem with carry on luggage being ignored by agents when people just ignore the rules. And agents do nothing about it.

Original review: March 15, 2019

For the business traveler, in my opinion this is the best carrier. They have the best frequent traveler program, upgrade policy and benefits for their AMEX/Delta credit card program, which includes a first free bag on all flights.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Delta Airlines is the most I traveled within past 20 years. Total satisfaction. Happy to do it again. Services are excellent, on-time arrival/departure. Convenience connections in major US cities. Points never expire. Easy online check-in online and select my seat. Simple ticket purchase.

Delta Air Lines expert review by Erika Armstrong

Originally founded as a crop-dusting company in 1924, Delta is now one of the largest airlines in the world. Each year, more than 160 million travelers fly Delta.

• Business service: In addition to offering business-class seating, Delta also has a Corporate Travel Management division designed for the business customer.

• Chef-curated menus: For a small additional fee, Delta passengers can enjoy a full meal.

• Worldwide destinations: Delta offers flights to more than 325 destinations in 60 countries across six continents.

• Trip protection: Add trip protection to your flight so that any cancellations or problems allow you to get reimbursed for the cost of the trip.

• Vacation price pledge: Participating travelers can get a refund for the price difference if the same vacation package is available for less, plus additional credit toward future Delta vacations.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers and holiday travelers who enjoy top quality service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Delta Air Lines Company Information