2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.8/5 (1788 ratings)

About Delta Air Lines

Delta Air Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Air Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Delta Air Lines?

Original review: July 8, 2021

Sitting on the plane writing this review. Flight was delayed at departure. Literally sitting here to get off plane and can’t due to gates not being available. Don’t fly Delta on a time crunch. Happens every time.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I had been trying to cancel my flight 48 hours before my departure (today, June 24th 2021) as I became incredibly sick and contagious right before. However the website wouldn't allow me to cancel my flight before the 24 hour mark. On the website there was also no clear messaging for chat to try and reach a representative and every time I called I was placed anywhere from a 2-4 hour hold. I'm not sure who has time to be on the phone for so long, but being sick and all other aspects of life I definitely did not have such time. I'm disheartened that I couldn't utilize the cancelation process and I feel like I've not only lost out of finances in an already difficult time, but also any possible flyer miles for future flights. I don't like leaving negative reviews, but I honestly didn't know any other way of possibly reaching anyone within Delta.

Original review: June 21, 2021

I am seriously reconsidering flying with Delta anymore. They change your flights whenever they feel like it both by making them at times you didn’t want and adding layovers that you paid more to avoid. Then When you call to complain they keep you on extraordinarily long wait times. Currently on hold at two hours. Not likely going to continue flying with them.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I have flown Aeroflot when it was run by the Soviets, no-name Caribbean puddle jumpers which challenged me to find two matching bolts, a Siberian Airlines flight which lost an engine on the way to Moscow and military transports. Never have I received worse service nor witnessed greater incompetence than from Delta on the Jax to Louisville, Ky., flight. We traveled in a party of four; including my wife who is my care giver and two children.

Due to Delta's flight arriving late we missed our connection in Atlanta. We then spent the entire day being assured multiple times we were on the next flight only to be sent scrambling to various gates where we were told that there were no seats. Delta next suggested that we split to perhaps occupy whatever seats could be found, As mentioned my wife is my caregiver so apparently Delta felt that sending our children to a strange airport or my being left in the care of a child was a good option.

The help desks were short staffed and workers seemed to have almost perfect timing for activating their radios when talking or when someone spoke to them, drowning out the speech. My wife is a joint U.S./Russian citizen and as I explained the problems to her in Russian we received comments about this as well. Other helpful comments included that Delta would refund our ticket so we could rent a car to drive from Atlanta to Louisville, no one being able to tell us if/when/where we would get on a flight, and suggesting that we should just select another city which might be closer to Louisville than Atlanta for our destination. As a final note upon finally reaching Louisville friends who had opted to simply drive their cars rather than fly beat us by five hours.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Glenn at gate F11 flight 2580 number ** 6:15am to Phoenix to Salt Lake City told me when I came to the desk there were no seats available very rudely. I have a video he says it's only 1 1/2 hour flight and there are no seats. He was so nice to the ** people and even said after me “let me give you a better seat” to a ** gentleman. I wish I could post the video on here but once I make the link I will be updating with video for proof. No I wasn't on standby. I just simply wanted to upgrade/pay for a different seat.

So I looked online and there were seats for purchase and I purchased. When I asked why was I able to change online he says, "Well people change all the time and there was nothing available." I'm shaking and crying writing this as I felt Delta was superb customer service. He says, "I don't have an employee number so I can correctly identify him." Have that on video. He keeps rolling his eyes. I can't see where I can upload the video. I will be uploading video to social media. Even other passengers heard and told me they were sorry! Date 6/13/2021. I can afford any ticket I want! He even asked me was I by myself and I said yes. He says, "Well there aren’t any to change to."

Original review: June 10, 2021

As far as excellent customer service goes, Delta has failed to deliver that. I was told on several occasions that I could request someone else to look into my baggage claim case because the claims specialist I was assigned did not accept several receipts that I submitted for reimbursement. I made both verbal and written requests for over a month, and even received a written response from the original baggage claims specialist that she would forward my case and I'd get a follow up within 10 business days. That didn't happen whatsoever. I was forced to call into the baggage claim call center to follow up with my own case, and was told each time by a different representative that I would receive a follow up within 2-3 business days. That didn't happen either. Representatives that work in baggage services do not work at the same location as baggage claim specialists which are the people that handle baggage claims.

From what I was told my account would be flagged and a notification would get sent out to everyone and I will receive a response within that time frame. After about my 15th call, I finally was able to get someone but was told after the fact though, that this information is incorrect. But why were there several representatives repeatedly telling me this information? Not only that, I found out that my case had been closed by the claims specialist I complained about and because it was closed it could not be reopened.

Other misinformation...Delta does not "reassign" baggage claims and has never done that. This same representative then offers to give me a $500 voucher because she didn't understand herself based on the notes that were on my account. But then she insulted me and also informed me that it was an hour past her shift and that she had to go and there was nothing more that she could do after I implied I wanted to file a complaint based on all of the misinformation and the amount of time it took for a response regarding my case. I didn't even get the voucher because of this.

I have filed several complaints about the customer service with Delta and the way I've been treated overall since my baggage was lost. No one has ever called or sent an email. There's a complaint/comment link on the Delta website that sends an automated email asking for 7-21 days for a response that you'll never get. I have the emails to prove it. My call log shows all the dates and times I've spent speaking to representatives getting the run around also. I feel like this is done on purpose. No one should ever have to go through this. That's why I am writing about this.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I have been trying to talk with a customer representative for two days. They say wait time is 8 to 9 hours. Who is going to stay on phone waiting that long. No excuse for this. American Airlines customer service is much better.

Original review: May 25, 2021

I had a horrible interaction today with a Delta check-in employee and had to reschedule my international flight because delta's COVID testing policy differs from South Korea's actual government policy/that of every other airline. I wanted to file a complaint and the wait time to reach customer service is 6 hours???? I used to hold Delta to a quality a step above other airlines but they are seriously slacking these days! For those interested, Delta's policy for flights to Korea is COVID test results within 72 hours of the departure flight. Mine resulted at 8:20 AM 3 days prior to a 10:20AM flight. They said this test is 74 hours prior to departure. The actual Korean government policy is that the 72 hours resets at 12AM everyday so it shouldn't matter and that is how every other airline like Korean Airline honors the testing.

Not only that, it turned out even if I didn't get COVID tested, since I am a Korean citizen I could have filled out a form to accept quarantine in my house in South Korea. The employee didn't know this and told me I had to pay $2800 to quarantine in a hotel and he refused to print out the quarantine form for me even when I requested it. Source: Attachment document on this site **.

Original review: May 25, 2021

My 6:10 flight was delayed by an hour and now my connecting flight is delayed by an hour. My son and I are sitting on plane with no air wearing a mask. Temp has to be 80+. Come on Delta you can do better than this??!!

Original review: May 25, 2021

I have been trying to talk to someone at Delta reservations for 3 days now and waiting for hours but no luck getting anyone... After signing for call back in the morning, I received call back around midnight after I had already gone to sleep. Also requested urgent help to speak to someone...to call me but to no avail. This is very poor and ridiculous cust service for such a major airline... I called other airlines and was connected in less than 2 minutes!! Even tried their chat service but to no avail!!.. No response for hours!!! Also when trying to cancel my online reservation online, it keeps directing me to call Delta reservations to help cancel my reservations?!?!

Original review: May 24, 2021

I'm so disappointed in the terrible customer care on my recent delta flight. First, on the Delta email confirmation after purchasing my child's ticket, it clearly stated that we got a carry on AND checked bag (50lbs/23kil) Free. When trying to check in, the gate attendant first said we got NO checked bag for the ticket & after talking about it with us a while, they said, "Oh actually you DO get a checked bag, but it has totally different dimensions than a normal checked bag, and it can only be 10lbs"... All of this info, even though our email confirmation did not only NOT say that, but said that we should get a 50lbs bag for FREE.

On a call after the fact while filing a complaint about the issues with the flight and trying to explain my experience as a customer, the representative spent the whole time contracting me and his/herself. And even though they didn't know all the info, they told me I should have known because somehow it was clear... to everyone...? Bad customer experience on ALL levels. Great job, Delta. Tell us one thing in your direct communication about the flight, have your people tell us something different when we ask, and then hide the actually "correct" info that contracts all that info, and then tell the customer they are the problem..?! Really?

Original review: May 24, 2021

My first complaint is a simple one. Our departure flight was changed a whole day from May 15 to May 16 with no explanation. When I questioned the desk at flight time they indicated that flight DL0924 from SLC to Atlanta had indeed flown on Sat leaving my husband and me very confused. Also the delay of a day resulted in additional costs to us.

The second complaint is more complex. The CEO of Delta, Ed Bastion, has gotten his company involved in political issues particularly the new GA election law which he seems not to understand fully. This is very disappointing. The focus of Delta should be the safe transport of their customers from destination to destination. His personal opinions of voting laws is of no interest to me and should not reflect the company’s position. If given a choice I will not fly Delta Airlines in the future or any other carrier that acts with lack of understanding and misinformation. Mr Bastion, your focus should be on your customers and your stockholders. Stick to the business of flying airplanes! I would like a response regarding both my concerns. Thank you.

Original review: May 20, 2021

Let me start by agreeing with most, that Delta is one of the best airlines out there. I recently upgraded to comfort on a 10hr overnight flight from Buenos Aires to Atlanta. The seat did not recline neither my 76y old neighbor. Imagine how pissed I was, also constantly holding my neighbors head falling on me. Happens! I have travelled a lot and seen worse. Yet I do expect a response and apology from Delta to start with. After a 3hr+ wait on my call I was coldly greeted by a Lady named Teana who might have had prior information since she did not hesitate in return my $170.00 upgrade. She also awarded me a $150.00 credit (which I have yet to see) for the inconvenience...really? Have you ever tried to sleep upright on a chair? It was brutal! The $150.00 credit for future travel isn’t even worth my 3hr wait on the phone! I am extremely disappointed this time and may not ever use that credit.

Original review: May 20, 2021

I have been holding on the phone for 4 hours and 1 minute and still holding to speak to a CSR about my cancelled ticket. This is a horrible example of guest service and a injustice to the guest who paid for the services already. I need to explain my reasoning for cancel for hope that I get my money back. I'm not wanting a credit.!!!

Original review: May 17, 2021

Been trying to call Delta for 2 weeks. Always 8, 9 and 12 hour hold times. Yesterday I called at 8:30 AM, y'all offered a call you back option in 90 minutes, instead you called me back 12 hours later when I was sleeping. I had 3 vacations booked through delta and guess what that will be that last 3 I ever book. Maybe Delta needs a new CEO.

Original review: May 14, 2021

"7 hours" to wait to talk to a representative is unacceptable. I have traveled Delta many times. However this year I have had to call to add infant in arms or they changed my flight which didn't work for our schedule. You cannot make these changes online so are forced to call the reservations or customer service department. First call I had to wait 3 hours to add our infant in arms. Second call hours waiting again. Third call they changed our flight, which online said you could change online but when you try to it tell you that you can't. So I called and it told me I had to wait for "7 hours". Please augment your customer service/reservation team. These wait times are terrible. These are harder times for airlines but don't lose quality service in the process. Take care of your customers and they will take care of you.

Original review: May 6, 2021

I booked with Delta through Hotwire. I had never used delta before but it was the only airline that didn't have a 6am return flight. I was traveling with my boyfriend and 3 yr old son. Here's my story. First, I booked the flight and car. All the funds were pending from my account. When it actually charged my card, I noticed it was 1 plane ticket less. I thought maybe they changed something due to my son's age, cool. So I questioned whether he would be allowed a carryon or not. The website says it's based on price. Seeing as to how I wasn't sure what happened with the ticket prices, I figured I'd call to find out. I spent 9 HOURS to ask this simple question. 5 hours on hold waiting for someone to answer before I gave up, and 4 hours trying to use the online chat. Finally, I got someone, gave them the ticket number (which I figured they would say something if they missed the charge), they said yes to the carry on.

Then we get to the airport. We're carrying our bags, a car seat, a stroller and a child. We were rushed through security as if we were an inconvenience- literally shouted at- and we weren't moving slow (ok whatever). We get to the gate and wait. Then our flight was delayed due to a mechanical issue with the a/c. For 2+ hours. We missed our connecting flight in Atlanta. At this point I'm stressed, but think "better safe than sorry, things happen". Flight back home: again, rushed through security. Get to the gate. Wait. Another delay. Mechanical issue with the a/c unit. What are the chances? Again, waiting hours to get on the plane and missing our connecting flight home.

Here's the kicker, it was the last flight from Minneapolis to Milwaukee that day so we were not getting home. They searched for options and said, "We can MAYBE get you on tomorrow but all of tomorrow's flights are booked up so we'll put you on standby and hopefully you get something." They put us in a hotel in Minneapolis for the night. I had thrown away a bunch of stuff that I didn't think we needed anymore; toothbrushes, toothpaste, trial sizes of deodorant, all of the toiletries. No car, no gas station nearby to walk to, no food. Ok now we go to the airport again the next morning to see if we can get on a plane. They luckily said yes. We wait. They announce the flight was overbooked and offered $400 for someone to take a later flight. No one took it.

Eventually they landed on $600 and someone gave in. $600? I got a $50 hotel room to wait an entire day. Moving on, we go to board and they gave each of us separate seats. I asked if there was a way my 3yr old could sit by either myself or my boyfriend and they said I could figure it out myself. Finally, an attendant on the plane helped me switch seats with another rider so my toddler didn't have to sit with a stranger. We got home and I was just relieved to have it all over with. Then I check my bank account 5 days later and delta charged me another $438.40! Do I want to spend another 9 hours trying to contact cust service, or call the whole thing a loss and save my sanity?

Original review: May 5, 2021

I booked a flight to go from RDU to BCN. Specifically booked with Delta to have just 1 stop. Due to rescheduling delta changed my flights and now I have 2 stops. I call and I have been waiting on hold for 4 hours. No answer…. I bought a 1 stop ticket. So I want a 1 stop ticket.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I’m trying to change my ticket with Delta Air Lines for he past 2 days. The first day after holding for 3 hours, I had to hang up. The next day after 3 hours holding the agent hung up on me. The second time after holding for 2 hours the agent hung up even without saying hello. The third time over 3 hours hold and no hope someone will really answer. On their recording it mentions that you can change reservation online, but you can’t. I will never ever ever use Delta airline in the future. No supervision or monitoring of their customer service. Horrible airline. Please don’t use it even if it is the cheapest.

Original review: May 3, 2021

I am a Diamond Medallion for many years now and I have to say that in the last year customer service even at my level has become very poor. It is to the point I am very close to switching to United and trying them out. Wait times are usually a minimum 30 minutes (even on the Diamond line) no matter what time of day you call. Further the call me back feature I have requested approximately 5 times in the last year and it has never worked once.

Though the long imposed wait was painful it was at least possible to speak with someone helpful, but now on my last two calls I have been speaking with the Singapore call center who is difficult to understand at best and only recently booked me a flight that when I checked on it after the call found to be wrong. Now I am on hold again with them and again Singapore with a worse representative than the last time. I have had enough as an elite member and I can only guess at the pain non-elites go through. This airline has gone down the tubes. MW

Original review: May 3, 2021

I have used Delta in the past and they had good customer service, plane ride smooth and clean but this time they have changed my flight now 3 times and they left it up to us to find a new one. We had everything ready to go: flight, hotel, and everything else for our trip. Then we get not one but two emails with them changing our flights time and layover airport/city. Then when I got the next email they said if I didn't like the times I was to call or get ecredit! Really? Well I tried calling and was on hold for 3 hours in between 2 different phone calls...Tried their chat but again I was on hold for a very long time and when I asked for someone to call me back...nothing.

My husband ended up going late in the evening to the airport and talking to one of the airport agents who thankfully turned around and called someone to change our flights to a different time. No ecredit for our time and frustration over just trying to get someone to assist us. With all that being said I opened my email this morning and wouldn't you know it...they changed our times again! I am not happy with the way they are treating us. If I didn't already have flights bought and paid for through them I wouldn't use them again. Very disappointed for sure.

Original review: May 2, 2021

A reservation was made in March to fly in June. I received notification that my reservation had changed and my seats were deleted. I went through the process to get new seats and was set, until they changed my itinerary again. I waited to change seats and glad I did as they changed it again. I called and spent 2 hours rearranging my flights for 4 family members and thought that would solve the issue as I changed the route. For the fourth time they changed it again and added an additional layover. I understand we are in Covid days but how do you stay in business offering such HORRIBLE service?!!!

Original review: April 22, 2021

I have been a loyal Delta customer for years. Until recently, I flew Delta exclusively. This month, my wife and flew Delta for a trip to Florida. Our trip down was delayed due to weather which is unavoidable. However, we then had mechanical problems, had to land at a different airport and we waited four hours for a repair. I understand that problems happen, and we got to our destination on the day we were supposed to albeit 6 hours late.

Our return trip however was much worse. Our flight was delayed 8 hours due to equipment problems, then four hours due to weather. We missed our connecting flight in Atlanta, and the backup connection flight. Delta was unable to book us the next day from Florida, and we had to book on American Airlines. We incurred over $800 in additional costs due to Delta's problems. We were told we could get reimbursement for the AA tickets and the hotel costs. So far, I have been unable to talk to anyone at Delta for help on this matter. I am so very discouraged with this airline on which my wife and I have flown over 100,000 miles.

Original review: April 20, 2021

Delta has been such an amazing airline to me and my family. My mother was traveling alone with a baby and they helped her carry everything down the ramp and get situated even the first class attendant was making sure they were comfortable, happy, and most importantly safe. I chose delta over my hometown airline because the service is just that good. I even get free bags with the other airline and still choose delta. Delta even recognized my choice and privately thanked me for choosing them. Thank you guys for such an amazing experience!

Original review: April 20, 2021

I called customer service just before 7pm today and was given option to hold for 2:44 hours. No option for a call back was given. At onset of the call I was informed that service is affected by Covid. How do they get away with this lame excuse. Most large companies I know compensated for Covid and moved into a ‘new norm’ with little or no impact on service. Well it is now 11:28, nearly 4:30 hours since the call started still with no customer representative available. How do they justify these call center statistics and then praise their customer service. Quite remarkable.

Original review: April 18, 2021

I called Delta's customer service at 10:52 am and I did not receive a call back until 4:39. I’m a loyal and frequent delta flyer as well as a gold card member. Waiting 6 hours for a call back is bad customer service and a Bad customer experience. I ended up booking a flight with another airline due to this which is unfortunate because prior to this bad experience delta was my favorite airline to fly.

Original review: April 18, 2021

I had booked a flight in December to fly in April. I called Delta Airlines a few days before our flight to find out about Covid restrictions. I was told, "We first need to check your flight. Oh it's overbooked and you will have to fly out on the 14th instead of our booked day of the 10th." I told the lady, "No we are flying out on the 10th." "I'm sorry but they have overbooked that flight," was her response. I was floored. I again told her, "We are flying out on the 10th, we had taken time off work and were going to visit a brand new grandchild." She said, "Well we can get you on that flight still but it will cost you 43 dollars per person." Are you flipping kidding me??

I paid it because I wasn't about to not go. But am very disappointed that I had to pay 86 more to fly when I had already paid my full airfare months in advance because the airline overbooked. Then was told we had to get a negative Covid test prior to our flight. We scurried to complete that just in time to find out we did not need it at all. Not happy with the service I received at all. Seems like some kind of extortion To me. Will not be flying Delta again anytime soon.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Their phone support wait times are constantly over 2 hours and they don't even offer to keep your place in line and call you back when your turn is up for cancelling a flight. The flight I purchased could not be canceled online. The eCredits I had from before would never even display when I logged in to their website, I had to get a customer rep to manually make those work for me. Tried chat help through mobile app, but it timed out as I was waiting and I lost my place in line.

Tried to reach out via Twitter and had a mixed response. Supposedly someone actually did cancel my flight, but I never got a confirmation email or any confirmation of a refund. After a 5-10 minute wait I got one response on Facebook where they apologized for a delay getting my message. After that I was ignored for another 10+ minutes, during which I created my ConsumerAffairs account and created this review. Still no confirmation email regarding the flight being canceled or any correspondence about the refund that I should be getting from canceling the day after buying tickets. Delta claims I get a full refund as long as the flight is canceled before midnight the following night and I fell within that. Have spent over 2 hours trying to go through this process so far.

Original review: April 12, 2021

Delta intentionally doesn’t staff the desks at the gate so that they don’t have to take complaints. I have been on 3 different trips with Delta since January and whenever someone shows up at the gate desk they immediately get a hoard of people with heavy complaints and the person at the desk just says, "I’m sorry, I can’t help you." Delta does their best to ignore their customers and not provide answers. Stay away from them as they blame all of the issues on some policy that actually doesn’t exist but isn’t their fault.

Original review: April 5, 2021

Delta is constantly increasing their prices by canceling the flight then scheduling a new one for a higher price. It’s outrageous this is permitted. It’s been 4 flights they have canceled me this way.

Delta Air Lines Company Information