1.29/5

Looking for a travel site?

International Chain

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Club Med Reviews

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

It's nothing but a drinking party resort. Old buildings, poor broken amenities, not enough to do, water so choppy & waves so big on shore, no one even goes on the beach or in that water. Poor housekeeping staff. Had to beg for washcloths, no good communication about where things were located. Food was like Golden Corral food or cruise ship food. The bar area smelled like feet, sweat, & BO the entire time there. No phone in room to call for anything. Very disappointing since we can never get our honeymoon back now!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

TripAdvisor blocked my review because they sell rooms and make a profit off of Club Med. If you look at all the positive reviews you see it is the first review because staff at hotel beg guests to write reviews to increase sales. Many Canadians are hooked on Club Med and they can do no wrong. My 1st visit was in 2004 and it was a cool place with beautiful woman and premium beer was free under the French. Now the Chinese own the company and they paid an inflated price but kept the French president to make it look like it's still a French company. It's sort of like a shell game and now it is mostly senior citizens and Canadians in order to make a profit. The food and booze are awful, but it's the best they can do cause it's so expensive on the island.

For 2 weeks the cost was 6000 for one person but Club charged my credit card around 13,000 by mistake and I was told my room would be upgraded for hassle. My room was never upgraded cause once the Chinese get your money all guest get on complaints is lip service. My bathroom had mold, and things like this or the fact staff really went downhill did not bother me cause I was there for the beach and to snorkel. By the way on my first visit my ribs were broke and Club Med did not call the police. I read a review you can google on TripAdvisor if you enter assault and you will see a man was headbutted weeks after my trip in March and TripAdvisor blocked the reviews. A Prosecutor was murdered at Club Med in Oct and it is still unsolved.

I suggest you avoid drunk guests and go to bed after 10 and don't answer your door for anyone and you will have no problem. I also caught a horrible cold so wash your hands. The buffet is a bREEDING GROUND FOR BACTERIA. If I read this I would not visit but it's the best price on the island and if you read the state dept. warnings and are cautious you will be ok. If you want a better bang for your money go elsewhere. But be careful because it is a free for all and with the Chinese if you have a problem you are on your own. Well the French were the same cause they want the truth buried to keep sales up. Google the NY prosecutor murdered and see for yourself. The entire region is dangerous so you can still go but keep your guard up.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: March 16, 2019

After 3 emails I gave up on trying to get the booking code for a United flight I booked through Club Med. I am not sure how I am supposed to check in without that information. They seem not to care. Disappointing.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

This is my first attempt to contact Club Med about my vacation in May 2019. I spoke to Ty in Arizona. Wow!! He kept rudely interrupting me as I tried to speak and ask why I have never received an email from Club Med on my upcoming trip. He said he couldn't send me an email because it has to go to my travel agent. I said, "I don't have a travel agent, my friend that's going with me booked it". He said, "NOPE, I can't send it to you". WOW!!! How ridiculous that is that he wouldn't send me an email...just an email about my trip. I paid for it with my credit card and I can't even get a receipt. He also wouldn't let me book transportation to and from the airport. He said my travel agent had to do that too. I'M DONE WITH CLUB MED!!! I will NOT be booking again with this company and especially after reading all these reviews.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Our 8 day vacation, at the Club Med Punta Cana, was ruined by the mold and mildew in our rooms and even in the dining rooms. It is clear they might have been underwater from the hurricane last year, but to not correct that situation is dangerous to health. We asked for another room, none available! I became very ill as I am highly allergic to mold and mildew. We were forced to keep the air conditioning on high to bear the odors. Two visits to the nurse on site yielded nothing helpful. Overpriced over the counter antihistamines and a pathetic nasal spray. No relief. All staff were friendly and kind, but that cannot make up for the poor air. I would never recommend this resort to anyone. Even the food was a huge disappointment, compared to another Club Med we’d stayed at. Altogether a waste of hard earned money and precious vacation time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Club Med?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

They claim $300 airfare credit. In fine print it says $300 per person depending on a variety of factors. They will not actually show you how they break down the discounts, and if you call, all service representatives will change the reason why you do not get the full airfare credit. If you book for 4, you should get $1200 difference in land vs land+air. You actually get only $200 difference, meaning they pocket $1000 yet provide completely misleading advertising saying that you'd get $300 per person. Even playing around with dates and using a full 7 days, there was no instance where I'd get $1200 in credit.

This is a deceptive marking scam. Also, we decided to try to book from a travel company that quoted us a cheaper amount than the Club Med website. Club Med quoted the travel company a much different price than what Club Med ended up being charging me through the travel company (I have the direct invoice from Club Med so it wasn't due to surcharges from the travel agency). Club Med issued a refund for everything except THE MEMBERSHIP FEE! They won't even refund everything due to their mistake and not honoring the price that they gave 2 just 2 hours before I booked! This shows that Club Med does not care about their clients. They just want money and will resort to deceptive practices to make you pay.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Updated on 04/04/2019: This is an update to my previous review of January 4th 2019. In addition to the actions taken in that review we formally cancelled the holiday concerned. It was distressing to find our March credit card statement showed that Club Med had taken as further £3540 to pay for the holiday we had cancelled. In all our previous holiday bookings with many other companies we have been required to specifically authorise a payment of the final payment towards any holiday or the holiday is regarded as cancelled. We have therefore lodged a disputed payment claim with our credit card company both for the £3540 and the initial deposit (having regard to the very long advance notice of our cancellation). We consider it adds to the unfairness of the extremely long small print contracts of Club Med if they have given themselves the rights to take substantial amounts of money without authorisation.

Original Review: With the chaos at Gatwick caused by drones and the possibility of problems associated with Brexit we decided to consider cancellation of our Club Med Holiday. On 4th October 2018 we had placed a deposit of £335 on a holiday to take place in Turkey on 31st May 2019. The balance of £3540 is not due until 2nd March 2019. If we cancelled at Christmas time Club Med demanded we forfeited both the deposit and paid the additional cost of a proportion of the cost of the holiday. The total would be £994.98 - almost on third of the holiday price.

The Competition and Markets Authority guidance on cancelling goods or services intimate that non-returnable deposits can be unfair and the business should be contacted to explain how they calculate the amount they are keeping or charging us for cancelling the contract. We have made formal complaint to Club Med that Customer Services have failed to provide a response to the advice by the Competition and Markets Authority and merely refer to the written terms of contract sending us one of 4 pages and another of 23 pages. Both are in densely written small font.

This is not at all helpful in resolving the dispute as the contract itself could be regarded as unfair. Club Med have not confirmed whether I ticked the box for reading the 4 page or the 23 page document when confirming our booking. The length and wording of both would have been difficult to read on screen and we completed the booking in anticipation that the contract would be a fair one. I am giving consent for Trust Pilot to let Club Med know about this review and to assist them the booking reference concerned is **. Issues reported to both my Member of Parliament and the CMA. We await final responses before deciding whether or not we should seek resolution via ABTA or prefer County Court action. The responses of Customer Service to the issues I have raised together with other reviews here add to the worries of drones and Brexit.

Original review: April 20, 2018

It has been 3 weeks already since my first attempt to contact customer service in Israel with which I was asked to contact after a week in Val Thorens at the end of March. No reply, no phone number and no one to listen.

Original review: April 9, 2018

We stayed at Alpe d'Huez in between April 1 and until April 8 of 2018. We booked two rooms and upon arival we were given rooms 222 and 221. The both rooms had a very strong odor of cigarette smoke, and a strong lemon scented detergent. After that we complained. We were told that the hotel is fully booked and that there are no other rooms available. The receptionist brought us a ventilator, which did nothing. Consequently, we had to suffer all week from the horrible and very strong and unpleasant smell similar to an unclean public toilet in both rooms. We did not pay Club Med for smelly rooms! Hence we expect, compensation from Club Med in order to reconcile this unpleasant experience.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Present letter is intended to capture our disappointment and frustration related to our recent stay at Yabuli Club Med resort, between 9th and 16th of March 2018. It is sad, but we need to say that this vacation ended up as a nightmare for all three of us. In the following, a short presentation of our experience: Upon our arrival, after having checked our passports, the front desk staff moved their attention to the routine at hand – leaving us completely on our own for almost an hour. We enquired about our guide of the resort, but we were told to wait. Only around 4 PM after several requests, we received Justin who introduced us to the resort and its amenities. It can be hardly called a tour, everything was done in extreme rush, we hardly managed to keep up with him.

Renting the ski equipment: Basic English is a must in every resort that it is open for foreigners. We found that such won’t apply at Yabuli – none of the staff working at the ski rental area had any basic command of English. Poor safety preparedness: Unfortunately, on the second day of our stay, while on the slopes, my wife had an accident and broke her ankle. In the following, the main points arising from this incident. The resort infirmary is located at a different level than the access to the resort from the slopes. It was noted that there is no lift serving this area and, injured, my wife had to walk all the way to be given the first aid. To mention that the access stairs to the infirmary were still covered in snow and ice, further risks to whoever is to access the area.

The medical staff as appointed at the infirmary appears to be totally unprepared. We were expected at least the basic first aid where the nurse appeared to panic more than anyone else. Fixing a possible fracture in splints, painkillers, ice on the area – that is definitely not within the nurse actions. General support during the emergency – apparently none of the staff around knows what they need to do in case of an emergency. The closest wheelchair was located at the front desk, at the luggage area – we needed to wait more than half an hour to be brought over to the infirmary. Even more frustrating – around us no one spoke proper English so, no one understand a simple “wheelchair, please”. No other option than, I had to make my own journey to the front desk and bring over the wheelchair.

We assume that a resort as ClubMed has to have the basic arrangements for transportation of a casualty to the nearest hospital or some sort of arrangements in place. What we have got (and this happened during daylight, working hours) was a taxi arranged through ClubMed and paid directly from our end. Main entrance to Yabuli resort – there is a ramp for handicapped access, but the same is not maintained – at the time of our departure to the hospital, access via the wheelchair was not possible as no one cleaned the ramp – icy and covered in snow. This was not a one day even – myself noticed the same since arrival the condition of the ramp. My wife needed to be hand carried by our friends at the resort all the way to the taxi.

Hospital – again the same language barrier, none of the staff is able to understand basic requests. We expected someone from the resort to accompany us and translate as necessarily, but such is apparently not within the standard operating procedure nor within the minimum decency and consideration that we would normally expect. After being seen by the doctor – we were told that the hospital is unable to arrange any medical support and consequently we need to make our way back to Singapore. To mention that facilities at the hospital are an absolute disaster – no toilets for the handicapped, no support for the injured, no wheelchairs available.

The next days of our stay – absolutely no medical support within the resort. No painkillers, no medical checkups, almost no respect from the Village Chief – only concern she showed was to us: “when are we going to leave so she can go back to her routine?! – please read “taking long karaoke sessions” for the pain of all attendees.

Club Med medical cover. Shortly after the incident, we were told not to stress about the costs as the resort has its own medical cover for such situations. Honestly – we don’t understand what the cover includes as all costs were supported by us. Obviously, we enquired with the Chief of the Village where she said not to worry, Shanghai office will contact us at a later stage. Obviously, this was/is not the case and up to today no-one contacted us.

We expected basic arrangements for transportation to the train station (the highway was closed on the day of departure). What Club Med Yabuli arranged was just a van from the resort to the train station. We had been left alone, with no one to translate for us, no wheelchair support, etc. My wife in crutches had to run to make it to the departing train and unfortunately had another fall that leaded to another fracture. Transfer from Harbin to the airport – non-English speaking driver with an inadequate car – a five-seater for five persons travelling with my wife being required to extend her leg at all times.

Club Med – handicapped access. Myself, as an amputee – having visited several of your resorts, I must stress that I found Yabuli Club Med completely unprepared to receive any handicapped person. Lifts are not functioning, access routes are either covered in snow and ice or completely blocked, handrails are wobbly and detached in places, etc. etc. I believe that this is not about meeting the requirements of every person with disabilities -it is a complete lack of respect and basic arrangements supplemented by a total disregard for anyone that expects more than what the hotel offers as now: untrained, unprofessional staff, poor cleanliness and hygiene, zero emergency preparedness.

Irrespective of what has been said above, we need to extend our special thanks to those that assisted us on a daily basis in spite of their extremely busy schedule – they always managed to find a minute to ask about our condition, taking care of our daughter while we were at the hospital, etc: Niko (Assistant Chief Village), Gilles (maintenance), Sam (ski instructor), Miguel and Elly (Circus) and Elly (from circus), James (ski instructor), Cherry (ski), Anna (spa). These persons are entirely Club Med staff – something that we got used over the years and what we expected from the rest of the staff.

Club Med Company Information