2. Travel
  3. Hotel Brands

International Chain

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.26/5

Club Med Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Club Med?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Club Med?

Original review: June 18, 2020

I made a reservation for Club Med in Florida for August trip on May 29, 2020 for the trip in August. I read the cancellation policy to make sure that I could cancel the trip if needed because of the pandemic and Florida quarantines people from NY for 14 days. I wish I took a screenshot that day. It said on their website that if I booked and cancelled 15 days before my reservation date, I would get 100% refund including my membership fee of $150, 2 adults and 1 child. $150 is a lot of money for membership. If I didn't think, I could get this money back; I would have never booked this trip. ClubMed should have done the right thing during this pandemic and refund the membership fee. I felt ripped off by this company. I called their corporate office in Tempe, AZ and even talked to the supervisor that did not want to help me at all. They said they will refund me the deposit minus $150 membership fee that I did not even use.

Original review: June 7, 2020

When I booked I was told due to the situation with the pandemic if there is any problem Land fees would be 100% refundable. They wouldn’t give me back my money and closed the resort. Said I have one year to use it and they weren’t sure when they were going to reopen. I had to dispute it with the credit card company and they were not helpful in the worst customer service. The reason it took so long was because they’re owned by somebody in China and run the business out of France. They tried to tell me I had a contract but they couldn’t provide it with the bank so I got my money back eventually after a lot of aggravation and a lot of lies on their end! I would never ever book through them again or go to any of their results or anything down and check to see who owns these island results.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

We booked through Club Med website and had to pay a “membership “ fee. Don’t bother. Just a money grab. Supposedly booked a superior room, don’t bother. They are all the same. Moldy, dirty and old. Upon arriving, we were starving, oh the restaurant and only restaurant is closed, won’t open until 7:15. Really late for dinner. The service was next to none. It’s cafeteria style. Fend for yourself. The pool is noisy like going to camp with your teen friends and it’s all day. Go to the beach. It’s so beautiful and that’s their money card. No one wants to be lied and Trip Advisor and this place is one big lie. Avoid it!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

It's nothing but a drinking party resort. Old buildings, poor broken amenities, not enough to do, water so choppy & waves so big on shore, no one even goes on the beach or in that water. Poor housekeeping staff. Had to beg for washcloths, no good communication about where things were located. Food was like Golden Corral food or cruise ship food. The bar area smelled like feet, sweat, & BO the entire time there. No phone in room to call for anything. Very disappointing since we can never get our honeymoon back now!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

TripAdvisor blocked my review because they sell rooms and make a profit off of Club Med. If you look at all the positive reviews you see it is the first review because staff at hotel beg guests to write reviews to increase sales. Many Canadians are hooked on Club Med and they can do no wrong. My 1st visit was in 2004 and it was a cool place with beautiful woman and premium beer was free under the French. Now the Chinese own the company and they paid an inflated price but kept the French president to make it look like it's still a French company. It's sort of like a shell game and now it is mostly senior citizens and Canadians in order to make a profit. The food and booze are awful, but it's the best they can do cause it's so expensive on the island.

For 2 weeks the cost was 6000 for one person but Club charged my credit card around 13,000 by mistake and I was told my room would be upgraded for hassle. My room was never upgraded cause once the Chinese get your money all guest get on complaints is lip service. My bathroom had mold, and things like this or the fact staff really went downhill did not bother me cause I was there for the beach and to snorkel. By the way on my first visit my ribs were broke and Club Med did not call the police. I read a review you can google on TripAdvisor if you enter assault and you will see a man was headbutted weeks after my trip in March and TripAdvisor blocked the reviews. A Prosecutor was murdered at Club Med in Oct and it is still unsolved.

I suggest you avoid drunk guests and go to bed after 10 and don't answer your door for anyone and you will have no problem. I also caught a horrible cold so wash your hands. The buffet is a bREEDING GROUND FOR BACTERIA. If I read this I would not visit but it's the best price on the island and if you read the state dept. warnings and are cautious you will be ok. If you want a better bang for your money go elsewhere. But be careful because it is a free for all and with the Chinese if you have a problem you are on your own. Well the French were the same cause they want the truth buried to keep sales up. Google the NY prosecutor murdered and see for yourself. The entire region is dangerous so you can still go but keep your guard up.

Original review: March 16, 2019

After 3 emails I gave up on trying to get the booking code for a United flight I booked through Club Med. I am not sure how I am supposed to check in without that information. They seem not to care. Disappointing.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

This is my first attempt to contact Club Med about my vacation in May 2019. I spoke to Ty in Arizona. Wow!! He kept rudely interrupting me as I tried to speak and ask why I have never received an email from Club Med on my upcoming trip. He said he couldn't send me an email because it has to go to my travel agent. I said, "I don't have a travel agent, my friend that's going with me booked it". He said, "NOPE, I can't send it to you". WOW!!! How ridiculous that is that he wouldn't send me an email...just an email about my trip. I paid for it with my credit card and I can't even get a receipt. He also wouldn't let me book transportation to and from the airport. He said my travel agent had to do that too. I'M DONE WITH CLUB MED!!! I will NOT be booking again with this company and especially after reading all these reviews.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Our 8 day vacation, at the Club Med Punta Cana, was ruined by the mold and mildew in our rooms and even in the dining rooms. It is clear they might have been underwater from the hurricane last year, but to not correct that situation is dangerous to health. We asked for another room, none available! I became very ill as I am highly allergic to mold and mildew. We were forced to keep the air conditioning on high to bear the odors. Two visits to the nurse on site yielded nothing helpful. Overpriced over the counter antihistamines and a pathetic nasal spray. No relief. All staff were friendly and kind, but that cannot make up for the poor air. I would never recommend this resort to anyone. Even the food was a huge disappointment, compared to another Club Med we’d stayed at. Altogether a waste of hard earned money and precious vacation time.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

They claim $300 airfare credit. In fine print it says $300 per person depending on a variety of factors. They will not actually show you how they break down the discounts, and if you call, all service representatives will change the reason why you do not get the full airfare credit. If you book for 4, you should get $1200 difference in land vs land+air. You actually get only $200 difference, meaning they pocket $1000 yet provide completely misleading advertising saying that you'd get $300 per person. Even playing around with dates and using a full 7 days, there was no instance where I'd get $1200 in credit.

This is a deceptive marking scam. Also, we decided to try to book from a travel company that quoted us a cheaper amount than the Club Med website. Club Med quoted the travel company a much different price than what Club Med ended up being charging me through the travel company (I have the direct invoice from Club Med so it wasn't due to surcharges from the travel agency). Club Med issued a refund for everything except THE MEMBERSHIP FEE! They won't even refund everything due to their mistake and not honoring the price that they gave 2 just 2 hours before I booked! This shows that Club Med does not care about their clients. They just want money and will resort to deceptive practices to make you pay.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Updated on 04/04/2019: This is an update to my previous review of January 4th 2019. In addition to the actions taken in that review we formally cancelled the holiday concerned. It was distressing to find our March credit card statement showed that Club Med had taken as further £3540 to pay for the holiday we had cancelled. In all our previous holiday bookings with many other companies we have been required to specifically authorise a payment of the final payment towards any holiday or the holiday is regarded as cancelled. We have therefore lodged a disputed payment claim with our credit card company both for the £3540 and the initial deposit (having regard to the very long advance notice of our cancellation). We consider it adds to the unfairness of the extremely long small print contracts of Club Med if they have given themselves the rights to take substantial amounts of money without authorisation.

Original Review: With the chaos at Gatwick caused by drones and the possibility of problems associated with Brexit we decided to consider cancellation of our Club Med Holiday. On 4th October 2018 we had placed a deposit of £335 on a holiday to take place in Turkey on 31st May 2019. The balance of £3540 is not due until 2nd March 2019. If we cancelled at Christmas time Club Med demanded we forfeited both the deposit and paid the additional cost of a proportion of the cost of the holiday. The total would be £994.98 - almost on third of the holiday price.

The Competition and Markets Authority guidance on cancelling goods or services intimate that non-returnable deposits can be unfair and the business should be contacted to explain how they calculate the amount they are keeping or charging us for cancelling the contract. We have made formal complaint to Club Med that Customer Services have failed to provide a response to the advice by the Competition and Markets Authority and merely refer to the written terms of contract sending us one of 4 pages and another of 23 pages. Both are in densely written small font.

This is not at all helpful in resolving the dispute as the contract itself could be regarded as unfair. Club Med have not confirmed whether I ticked the box for reading the 4 page or the 23 page document when confirming our booking. The length and wording of both would have been difficult to read on screen and we completed the booking in anticipation that the contract would be a fair one. I am giving consent for Trust Pilot to let Club Med know about this review and to assist them the booking reference concerned is **. Issues reported to both my Member of Parliament and the CMA. We await final responses before deciding whether or not we should seek resolution via ABTA or prefer County Court action. The responses of Customer Service to the issues I have raised together with other reviews here add to the worries of drones and Brexit.

Club Med Company Information